View Full Version : 1/4 mile at a time aka trailer trash cup

plague
15-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Newy Supercars.
Plague is going.
Discuss.

skippy
15-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Scored box seats through work so will be attending at some stage.

Bon
15-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Live inside the track. Will be pretty much stuck there the three days..
Anyone that isn't a complete gimp that wants a good view of it from my balcony is welcome to put in a submission..
I'm looking at hawk and his supermodels..

Jeterpool
15-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Train goes past my door hence easy transport. Brother bought tickets. Paid him back. Will go on the Saturday.

Considering making a submission to Bon

Bon
15-11-2017, 03:32 PM
*shameless self promotion warning*
Should be a decent cover band playing at the Grainy on Sat night, too..

The Dunster
15-11-2017, 06:29 PM
When are the V8 Supercars people going to take this event to the next level and organise a KOTH Celebrity race ? I don't actually drive so that in itself would make for amazing television.

plague
15-11-2017, 08:31 PM
When are the V8 Supercars people going to take this event to the next level and organise a KOTH Celebrity race ? I don't actually drive so that in itself would make for amazing television.

oh im ALL in for this.

ride or die

hawk
15-11-2017, 11:37 PM
Anyone that isn't a complete gimp that wants a good view of it from my balcony is welcome to put in a submission..

In, where do i sign up. What beer are we on? ill bring scotch

plague
16-11-2017, 10:11 PM

so what are the restrictions really like? ive got a mate who lives on the beach so hes got a balcony over the track. hed done nothing but complain about the roadworks (he also has a business in the CBD) but as it gets closer and the free tickets and 'new found friends wanting to come over' have started flowing hes pretty much now all about that Supercar lyfe.

The Dunster
17-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Just had an idea for the KOTH Celebrity Race. Cars need to be 1953 FJ Holden Utes with three on the tree column shift, cross ply tyres, and they must have a blue dog in the back kitted up in Jets gear.

q-money
17-11-2017, 11:22 AM
tbh the track looks pretty hectic but i can see why people are fkn pissed

it's going to want to bring in a packet of cash, something that these supa carz are very good at fudging the numbers on it seems

if it can beat the second year syndrome then good luck to 'em

plague
17-11-2017, 01:30 PM
It’s an amazing setup. The logistics must be mind numbing.

I’m all for council having a go.

The thing will go ‘over’ budget no doubt. But once council went outside it’s ‘roads rates and rubbish’ mandate then rate payers either have to hate ALL of it, or none of it.

If council is all about saving money, then you’ve gotta be ok with art galleries, libraries and ‘yes’ campaign assistance getting cut too.

The Dunster
17-11-2017, 01:40 PM
It’s an amazing setup. The logistics must be mind numbing.

I’m all for council having a go.

The thing will go ‘over’ budget no doubt. But once council went outside it’s ‘roads rates and rubbish’ mandate then rate payers either have to hate ALL of it, or none of it.

If council is all about saving money, then you’ve gotta be ok with art galleries, libraries and ‘yes’ campaign assistance getting cut too.

For less money they could have upgraded Ringwood Park and had a permanent venue to cater for this event and others throughout the year - without disrupting Newcastle's CBD and public transport.

It would also have provided a venue for local talent to more affordably get involved in motorsport as well.

I hope the event goes well - but the reality is it's just more of the same jobs for the boys shit we have come to expect.

Bon
17-11-2017, 03:48 PM
so what are the restrictions really like? ive got a mate who lives on the beach so hes got a balcony over the track. hed done nothing but complain about the roadworks (he also has a business in the CBD) but as it gets closer and the free tickets and 'new found friends wanting to come over' have started flowing hes pretty much now all about that Supercar lyfe.

Car racing doesn't do anything for me.. Never watched it, never understood it, never in to cars (I mean, up until a few years ago I was still driving my '89 dual cab hilux, she was a tired old whore, but I loved her and she did the job)..
Obviously people ARE in to the cars and the race, so good luck to them.. I hope that it does bring a lot of enjoyment to people/bogans and money in to town..

The roadworks have been a long running mess. Every day I drive home not knowing what sort of road closure or blockage will be occurring. It's frustrating, but i realise its got to happen and that the roads around the place will be better for it.. Eventually.
Us residents can complain all we like, and you see the protest stuff around everywhere, the ironic grafitti sprayed onto walls about how the cars are ruining the place, etc.
The fact is, its happening, so you deal with it. Don't have to embrace it, just deal with it. I know plenty of businesses have taken a major hit. Estabar/Liquid Gold seem to be running at shorter times, I know that Oma's closed doors all together. Not sure if the Grainy has copped a huge difference, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I guess that overall, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what the weekend is going to be like. Mentally prepared for the mayhem of attempting to get around, and about being locked in/out of my apartment from 7am-7pm and realise this will be a reality over those three days.. Pretty sure I am not prepared for just how loud its going to be, or just how high I can get for free from all the petty fumes.. :thumbsup:

p.s. Your mate doesn't happen to be "Jordy" who lives on the level below does he? Legend..

The Dunster
17-11-2017, 04:15 PM
What sort of numbers are they expecting to this event ?

Newcastle struggles to accommodate people at the best of times with seriously woeful restaurants and sweet **** all to do in and around town unless you like the beach.

plague
17-11-2017, 04:32 PM
What sort of numbers are they expecting to this event ?

Newcastle struggles to accommodate people at the best of times with seriously woeful restaurants and sweet **** all to do in and around town unless you like the beach.

i thought it was 30k-40k per day (weekend).
they seem to have done a decent job of getting people in and out esp utilising Stockton and the ferries to get people to not even attempt to drive into the city.

for anyone going id suggest giving yourself an extra 30mins at least to sort your tickets if you have venue collect. its a pain in the ass.

plague
17-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Mentally prepared for the mayhem of attempting to get around, and about being locked in/out of my apartment from 7am-7pm and realise this will be a reality over those three days..

so what does this entail?
is everyone kicked out of that precinct in the backstreets or are you guys allowed to watch from there?
if you leave your building can you not get back in?

Bon
17-11-2017, 05:03 PM
so what does this entail?
is everyone kicked out of that precinct in the backstreets or are you guys allowed to watch from there?
if you leave your building can you not get back in?

Cars can't come in or out of the "island" of the track between 7am and 7pm for all three days.. If you do want to leave, you have to walk out. All residents have had to get "accreditation" and prove where they live. You then get two tickets for every bedroom in your place + an extra two.. (So in our case, 2 bedroom apartment, we get 6 residents tickets/wristbands per day)..
Cars have to have a residents parking pass, which mine will stay under the building, however my roommate who normally parks on the street has been provided with a parking pass for one of the parking stands on King St to park at for the 3 days..

We can walk around on the inside of the track, so long as we have our residents on..
Pretty sure the extent of my movements will be to the Grain Store and maybe Foodworks..

plague
17-11-2017, 06:05 PM
thats what i thought but some people (hashtagfakenews) would have you believe that they are 'locked' in their actual houses/apartments and cant get in or out of the precinct by any means at all.

gotta say the Newcastle Herald has been especially naughty with a lot of the doom and gloom surrounding this. i know newspapers 'seem' to be the domain of the 55+ brigade now and therefore pander to their audience but this eternal 'the sky is falling' nonsense is pretty sad.

ive no doubt though that the head honchos at the Herald will be swanning at Fort Scratchley along with the rest of the corporate partners. You mihg teven find some of the councilors who were dead against it (in public) taking advantage of the $1500 per head event (on ratepayers cash mind you).

belchardo
17-11-2017, 06:26 PM
All residents have had to get "accreditation" and prove where they live. You then get two tickets for every bedroom in your place + an extra two.. (So in our case, 2 bedroom apartment, we get 6 residents tickets/wristbands per day)..

i would love to know what the legal basis is for this part. how can a private, for-profit business control what you do in your own property? did you get compensation?

plague
17-11-2017, 07:21 PM
i would love to know what the legal basis is for this part. how can a private, for-profit business control what you do in your own property? did you get compensation?

No one is stopping anyone accessing anything. Pretty sure the legal basis is that the council is closing the roads which they are legally allowed to do.

Peeps can come and go in their property as they please.

belchardo
17-11-2017, 09:34 PM
No one is stopping anyone accessing anything. Pretty sure the legal basis is that the council is closing the roads which they are legally allowed to do.

but only if they have a wristband, of which he'll only get 6. why can't he have 15 people around to watch (provided he's not selling tickets etc)? that's what i'm getting at, not the ability to physically access the site.

and when you say they have a legal right to close the road, they do and they don't. while they can close the roads to traffic, under the Roads Act and with respect to temporary road closures, "A roads authority may, by order served on any person, prohibit the person from causing any vehicle under the person’s control to pass along a specified local road unless the vehicle is being driven to a destination that cannot be reached except by means of that road". i don't doubt that there is some obscure clause in some ridiculous "major events" legislation that permits them to over-ride this.

plague
17-11-2017, 09:59 PM
but only if they have a wristband, of which he'll only get 6. why can't he have 15 people around to watch (provided he's not selling tickets etc)? that's what i'm getting at, not the ability to physically access the site.

i don't doubt that there is some obscure clause in some ridiculous "major events" legislation that permits them to over-ride this.

i can only assume that if they get there before 7am you can fill your house with however many freeloaders you want.

and im actually sure there is a 'supercars' legislation that covers exactly what you're saying.

yeah look im all for major events and i totally understand your point but as im not directly impacted by 'this' one of course im not speaking from the best position.

my only point is that the roads are closed all the time for many many different reasons (they shut the same piece of road when the hospital got demolished, then again when the new apartments went up in its place).

i just giggle when all the protestors are out there having a dig yet dont think for a second that when 'their' house was getting built it probably made noise, created difficulites etc. but hey, thats always completely different.

The Dunster
17-11-2017, 10:06 PM

Agreed. Freedom of assembly is not negotiable. But give the plutocrats time and it may not always be the case

Bon
20-11-2017, 02:42 PM
The traffic around the top end of town is beyond ridiculous atm..
1 hour and 50 mins to get from Newy Beach to Uncle Dan's Markettown (10 mins inside) and back on Friday arvo.. I could have walked it in less than that..

I know Monkey saw it, but did anyone else see the vandalism burnt into the grass at Foreshore Park over the weekend? Ironically hilarious..

plague
20-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Am convinced the Herald comments on Supercars stories are now more mind numbing than the Knights stories.

big call i know.
but i stand by this statement.

hawk
20-11-2017, 10:44 PM
i just giggle when all the protestors are out there having a dig yet dont think for a second that when 'their' house was getting built it probably made noise, created difficulites etc. but hey, thats always completely different.

I dont care much for fuel sports much and the phat consumption tards that follow it are pretty amazing. If it were my front yard id get the kids (in ear plugs) to throw the nails on that track at 8am, oil from the super soker at 9am, have a yard sale of mirrors reflecting sun at 10, push a mower on at 11, let a greasy pig on at 12. Any accidents are at own risk. Geez i couldnt hear or see the kids your honour due to the noise and they're only young so they can get away with anything ay.

Pretty much a bunch of dennis learys and clueless council just put shit on regardless of the consequences. Im sure the good peeps at Cessnock would have died for this event and we let them down.

plague
21-11-2017, 08:40 AM
I dont care much for fuel sports much and the phat consumption tards that follow it are pretty amazing. If it were my front yard id get the kids (in ear plugs) to throw the nails on that track at 8am, oil from the super soker at 9am, have a yard sale of mirrors reflecting sun at 10, push a mower on at 11, let a greasy pig on at 12. Any accidents are at own risk. Geez i couldnt hear or see the kids your honour due to the noise and they're only young so they can get away with anything ay.

Pretty much a bunch of dennis learys and clueless council just put shit on regardless of the consequences. Im sure the good peeps at Cessnock would have died for this event and we let them down.

Yeah but I bet your chauffeur loves the V8’s

The Dunster
21-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Are they going to have any real cars at the meeting or just those plastic piles of shit with interchangeable Ford or Holden badges ?

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/image118507_b.jpg

If I had a spare two million dollars I'd love to own this car.

belchardo
21-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Are they going to have any real cars at the meeting or just those plastic piles of shit with interchangeable Ford or Holden badges ?

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/image118507_b.jpg

If I had a spare two million dollars I'd love to own this car.

for two million you'd reckon you'd get windows and air-con rather than a hose.

hawk
21-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Yeah but I bet your chauffeur loves the V8’s

Parker likes the ladies and leather steering wheel covers.

Wilso8948
22-11-2017, 09:29 AM
We have residence passes to stay at my Grandfather's. 10 of us plus kids all heading up. Going to be great and having a weekend out of it. My only concern is that the kids won't have residence passes however as mentioned in the previous post I can't imagine they have a 'legal' stand point for refusing entry into your own property. If so I'll dump my daughter with the seco and say "sweet mate you take care of her for 48hrs"

baldrick
22-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Planning on setting a new lap record tonight. Be warned

Bon
22-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Planning on setting a new lap record tonight. Be warned

If you can get around it in less than 40 minutes, it will be a new lap record..
It was a snail-train yesterday, already plenty of people in town getting photos of the track and doing laps..

hawk
22-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Going to be great and having a weekend out of it.

Gearing up ay. Nice. That's the way Digby do it!

plague
24-11-2017, 12:02 PM
congrats to everyone concerned for scaring everyone away from driving in the city today.
just had to go drop something at Mrs Plagues work in the centre of town.
parks everywhere, not a soul on the road.

made my day easy.

cheers cheers.

hawk
25-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Supercars fans hurt by flying tyre debris at Newcastle 500
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/supercars-fans-hurt-by-flying-tyre-debris-at-newcastle-500-20171125-gzsr6l.html

Everyone ok in here.

JHH could be a wait

The Dunster
25-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Why can't we build a decent track in this country anymore ? Albert Park is terrible and this one looks even worse.
The drivers will be earning their money wrestling a car for 500km's around this uneven surface with slow as shit corners and sfa space for overtaking.
Fans might like it though for the carnage which seems almost guaranteed.

pv4
25-11-2017, 10:58 PM
I went today. What a great day for Newy. The Utes were dope, shame they had a safety car for so long. Resident tags were the bomb, so many great spots at ground level that residents-only could access. Very proud and surprised of the crowd, barely any issues and in general a positive atmosphere - i expected way more issues. Sick day, bring it back next year. Cheers.

hawk
26-11-2017, 04:14 PM
eggscellent

The Dunster
26-11-2017, 06:23 PM
The racing has been very good to watch but holy crap there has been some carnage.

Shit move on Lowndes as well by the kiwi.

hawk
26-11-2017, 08:40 PM
I was Mclaughing about that finish

The Dunster
26-11-2017, 08:56 PM
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5507919de4b01b71a2856965/55c7f8c2e4b026a3afe81441/565281a2e4b027b5078f6e19/1473832153223/?format=1000w

plague
27-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Very proud and surprised of the crowd, barely any issues and in general a positive atmosphere - i expected way more issues.

this is the bit that frustrated me most about the build up to the event.

the protestors and their mates at the Newcastle Herald had everyone believing that utes full of confederate flag waving slack jawed yokels shooting shotguns out the windows were comin to town.

in reality though the sport is all about families*. the drivers are the most accessible and 'upstanding' athletes in australia today (when is the last real 'scandal' in this sport?). the assumptions made in the build up to this has mirrored the same attitude people still have towards going to an A-League game.

im glad you had a good time, and im also stoked people are really proud of the city and the way it all went.

cant wait til next year.

*ok so Bathurst is still a zoo by all accounts but that place is its own ecosystem.

q-money
27-11-2017, 12:47 PM
scott mclaughlin is a psychopath, huge fan

plague
27-11-2017, 01:03 PM
scott mclaughlin is a psychopath, huge fan

the last few years he was kicking ass driving a freaking Volvo that gives you some idea of the amount of talent the dude has.

Wilso8948
27-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Few points on the weekend event

- Pretty well planned successful event. Pre race flyovers, coal ships were planned to perfection. The broadcast totally sold Newy.

- Sunday's race was fantastic. McLaughlin lost the championship rather than won it. He also blatantly lied and said he didn't see Lowndes as he had no mirror which was still attached after the crash.. It was desperate driving and he'll learn from his mistakes.

- Blow ins renting up the East end caused havoc. Tearing down fences etc. Also there were dumb residents vandalising the track at night.

- Got abused whilst on the balcony watching because apparently we shouldn't be watching. Made it known that we were fans of the race and to not believe everything they read in the Herald.

- There were just as many blow ins doing dumb shit like throwing full cans on the track during races, cutting down sound deadening mats during the race that could have easily ended up on the track and ****ed the championship.

- I feel for any elderly that copped unnecessary abuse.

- I fully blame the shitstorm caused by the Herald and social media.

- There were dickheads on both "sides". Whether they motorsport fans was completely irrelevant.

Bon
27-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Few points on the weekend event

- Pretty well planned successful event. Pre race flyovers, coal ships were planned to perfection. The broadcast totally sold Newy.

- Sunday's race was fantastic. McLaughlin lost the championship rather than won it. He also blatantly lied and said he didn't see Lowndes as he had no mirror which was still attached after the crash.. It was desperate driving and he'll learn from his mistakes.

- Blow ins renting up the East end caused havoc. Tearing down fences etc. Also there were dumb residents vandalising the track at night.

- Got abused whilst on the balcony watching because apparently we shouldn't be watching. Made it known that we were fans of the race and to not believe everything they read in the Herald.

- There were just as many blow ins doing dumb shit like throwing full cans on the track during races, cutting down sound deadening mats during the race that could have easily ended up on the track and ****ed the championship.

- I feel for any elderly that copped unnecessary abuse.

- I fully blame the shitstorm caused by the Herald and social media.

- There were dickheads on both "sides". Whether they motorsport fans was completely irrelevant.

You must have been up the other end of town? (Parnell Pl way? There were eggs thrown at the cars up there, apparently)

Personally I didn't see any antisocial behavior over the three days - Although I did see some swearing, shirtless bloke with grazes/bruises all over his face, strapped to some sort of Hannibal Lector wheelie-trolley being removed by a parade of cops..
I mean there was the usual maggots using traffic cones as hats, but nothing too major that I saw.. Lots of families and enthusiasts getting hammered by the sun but having a great time taking everything in..

hawk
27-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Sunday's race was fantastic. McLaughlin lost the championship rather than won it. He also blatantly lied and said he didn't see Lowndes as he had no mirror which was still attached after the crash.. It was desperate driving and he'll learn from his mistakes.
Agree

If you race like a dickhead youll lose championships. No way can anyone praise the clown.

Yep he has talent and his interview after stepping out of the car was one of the best in sports considering what happened.

He will be winning soon enough

Wilso8948
28-11-2017, 09:06 AM
You must have been up the other end of town? (Parnell Pl way? There were eggs thrown at the cars up there, apparently)

Personally I didn't see any antisocial behavior over the three days - Although I did see some swearing, shirtless bloke with grazes/bruises all over his face, strapped to some sort of Hannibal Lector wheelie-trolley being removed by a parade of cops..
I mean there was the usual maggots using traffic cones as hats, but nothing too major that I saw.. Lots of families and enthusiasts getting hammered by the sun but having a great time taking everything in..

Yeh mate up that way. Think Egg-gate was around the corner. Most of the crowd were excellent. We just copped some shit on Sunday from a mob that ironically could have totally ****ed the race with their vandalism. The Herald caused bullshit unnecessary friction.
The Hannibal character you saw was likely the bloke who was charged for punching a seco after he was refused entry into the residents area.

Side note - I did give one group of secos a spray when I noticed them unnecessarily stop a bloke and his family from walking down the track after it opened to pedestrians. I wouldn't normally get involved however the bloke was Russell Ingall who then preceded to shove the seco boss and tell them rightly to **** off.

Buddha
29-11-2017, 02:03 AM
Imagine telling Russell Ingall he can't walk down the track. The enforcer himself. Surprised he didn't put the seco in the wall

plague
15-04-2018, 07:34 PM
if you dont like race cars then all good but if you like race cars then that F1 race just then was the reason why people LOVE race cars. awesome sporting event.

belchardo
15-04-2018, 08:08 PM
it was good. the second overtaking move by riccardio was ballsy as all hell.

plague
15-04-2018, 09:32 PM
it was good. the second overtaking move by riccardio was ballsy as all hell.

thats just who he is.

best bit is that every move like that puts another few million on his contract for next year.

belchardo
16-04-2018, 07:36 AM
he's certainly better at passing than verstappen :blush: