01-01-2018, 12:23 PM
2018 discussion starts here

ForeverRed
02-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Go the gunners

Dontknowmuch
02-01-2018, 02:38 PM
Go the gunners

On their performances from last year with the recruitment they have for this year they would have to be one of the leaders for this season, i think depth got them last year looks like they have fixed that up should give Cooks Hill a run for there money.

ForeverRed
02-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Time will tell

The Spy
17-01-2018, 08:36 PM
If there are any NewFM clubs that are considering a trial vs ZPL opposition on the weekend of 3-4 March, please let me know.

Cheers

IM A GUNNER!
21-01-2018, 08:22 PM
Anyone heard anything about Singleton, Cessnock & westy squads? Much changes?

Hardly Watching
13-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Boring thread for a boring league. Let’s try and get some talk going!

Mass changes out at Cessnock once again, a lot of young guys with NPL 20s experience stepping up to 1st Grade there and some with 1st Grade NPL too, Greg Anderson I think from Weston at least.

Stags, nothing ever changes there, threw huge money at Dan Minors only for him to go back to CCB. Had a few other locals come back, but nothing to write home about. Long time committee member has just resigned and apparently they have just 5 Under 15s players. Just another day at Awaba.

Singleton, quiet as usual. Westy played ok against Barnsley the other week, but they are a ZL1 team so it’s hard to gauge their quality.

Cessnock lost to Kotara South so who bloody knows. It’s the same story every pre season - Zone League teams beat NewFM teams.

Quick prediction for 2018

Top 4 in any order
Kahibah, Belswans, Cooks Hill, New Lambton

Next in line
Southy, Thornton, Westy

Bottom looking up
Stags, Wallsend, Cessnock, Singo

Bremsstrahlung
14-02-2018, 05:46 AM
Came across some videos on YouTube from NewySports last night. Pretty decent 45 minute interviews with players and coaches from some of the clubs. I imagine the aim is to eventually get everyone that is willing.
Some good stuff and promoting awareness of the competition. Doing more than NNSWF imo.

Worth a look if you follow the NEWFM.

The Anvil
16-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Kahibah vs Kotara South last night at Harold Shite Oval.

23's? Vs res grade - 3-0 Kahibah
1st grade - 3-3

Not to sure how to read into the NewFm comp. I have played 2 trials ( I am aware they are trials ) against teams in NewFm. Kahibah last night and Cessnock on Sunday. The quality is "good". I wouldn't say any better than the top 6 teams in ZPL last season.

So my question is does having this "23's" grade actually bring down first grade due to not being able to have greater depth with older players in a reserve grade style comp? Like the old statement of " if your good enough your old enough" we had 6 guys under 20 play 1st grade.

The Postman
18-02-2018, 06:35 AM
Kahibah big result over Adamstown 2-0 win in 1sts, not sure of the squad strength of Adamstown.

Adamstown 9-1 in 23s/20s

Adamstown 2-1 in 19s/18s

front2
18-02-2018, 01:35 PM
At this stage the Newfm comp is beyond embarrassment.

Dontknowmuch
20-02-2018, 02:35 PM
At this stage the Newfm comp is beyond embarrassment.

I dont get it.

Compared to what? The comment above says a NewFM team just beat an NPL team and now you say it's an embarrasment? Doesnt make sense.

The gap between the bottom NPL teams and the top NewFM teams is rapidily closing. Cooks Hill and probably South Cardiff would be competitve in NPL, Lakes proved that last year.

Goatscheese
22-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Bit of a long shot, any Under 17 teams still require one or two players? Know of a strong player that had to recently move to Newcastle and is looking for a side.

Shere Khan
23-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Please PM me I may have a lead for you.

Charman
26-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Bit of a long shot, any Under 17 teams still require one or two players? Know of a strong player that had to recently move to Newcastle and is looking for a side.

Dudley Redhead ZL3. :)

Speedymetric
04-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Any trials on today?

The Hacker
04-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Any trials on today?
Heard Southy beat Dudley 2-1 with the last kick of the day yesterday and Dudley reserve grade beat 23's 4-0?

The Hacker
12-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Some promising results for Cessnock out of the Heritage cup. New Lambton were competitive in a tough group. Not a great weekend for Wallsend at all

GO AWAY
12-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Stags 3 Merewether 2 😬

Dontknowmuch
16-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Stags 3 Merewether 2 😬

Predictions for this year

Top 3
Cooks Hill
South Cardiff
Kahibah

Fight for 4th spot
Belswans
New Lambton

Possible Surprise Packets but wont make finals
Toronto
Cessnock

Will be competitive on their day but inconsistent
Wallsend
Singleton
Thornton
West Wallsends

Round 1
Westy beat Singleton easily
Toronto beat Wallsend in a high scoring close game
Cooks Hill draw with Belswans in another high scoring game
Cessnock beat Thornton in a close one
Sth Cardiff beat New Lambton convincingly and rocket to season favouritism

fozphantom
17-03-2018, 04:18 PM
I went down to Cooks hill earlier without looking at the draw. expected to see the belswans there.
Some zone trials on or something.
wtf? who made that draw? Just had a look at it. y-tf aren't cookers playing on a SAturday?
they always do. No reason for it to be on tomorrow. that and its always better to go to a sponsor pub on a
saturdie! NNSWF . 3 initials missing.- NFI-NNSWF
add to all that the fact its gonna be a stinker tomorrow. cluless f***s

EH9
17-03-2018, 07:17 PM
I went down to Cooks hill earlier without looking at the draw. expected to see the belswans there.
wtf? who made that draw? Just had a look at it. y-tf aren't cookers playing on a SAturday?
they always do. No reason for it to be on tomorrow. that and its always better to go to a sponsor pub on a

I am not sure they realised it was going to be so hot tomorrow when they made the draw.

Retro Jet
18-03-2018, 01:06 PM

I am not sure they realised it was going to be so hot tomorrow when they made the draw.

Yes, but we made them realise when the draw came out that Saturday is our preferred day with our sponsor and has been our history, especially
since we've been at Athfield, COOKERS PLAY ON SATURDAYS. There's absolutely NO reason why today's games couldn't have been on yesterday and potentially
avoided the problem. Deaf ears. Say said hot day was yesterday. Sunday still beckons, doesn't it? Not anymore. :(
Add to that, that mad man Murphy, shedding his St Patricks Day cheers on us. Pub shut today due to a staff 'Christmas Party'. Why on a Sunday?
Cause Cookers play Saturdays...or used to. I can understand it had it been something to do with the 14s, 15s & 17s kicking off today.
Nope. That's next weekend.

GO AWAY
18-03-2018, 03:35 PM
Wallsend 2-1 stags ... half time

ForeverRed
18-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Yes, but we made them realise when the draw came out that Saturday is our preferred day with our sponsor and has been our history, especially
since we've been at Athfield, COOKERS PLAY ON SATURDAYS. There's absolutely NO reason why today's games couldn't have been on yesterday and potentially
avoided the problem. Deaf ears. Say said hot day was yesterday. Sunday still beckons, doesn't it? Not anymore. :(
Add to that, that mad man Murphy, shedding his St Patricks Day cheers on us. Pub shut today due to a staff 'Christmas Party'. Why on a Sunday?
Cause Cookers play Saturdays...or used to. I can understand it had it been something to do with the 14s, 15s & 17s kicking off today.
Nope. That's next weekend.

Maybe a couple of cookers in Melbourne for buck show and returned in time for Sunday game, just maybe

Retro Jet
19-03-2018, 12:12 AM
Maybe a couple? of cookers in Melbourne for buck show and returned in time for Sunday game, just maybe

Ahem, your aforementioned ex-Gunners buddy (singular) didn't go on until the 57th minute.
Move 3 games for 1 player? Yeeeeaahhhh....naaaaahhhhhhh.

Anyway, scores from today.
1st C/Hill 1 v Belswans 0 (1-0 Ashton)
23s C/Hill 2 v Belswans 0 (2-0)
19s C/Hill 1 v Belswans 0 (0-0)

Alton
19-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Ahem, your aforementioned ex-Gunners buddy (singular) didn't go on until the 57th minute.
Move 3 games for 1 player? Yeeeeaahhhh....naaaaahhhhhhh.

Anyway, scores from today.
1st C/Hill 1 v Belswans 0 (1-0 Ashton)
23s C/Hill 2 v Belswans 0 (2-0)
19s C/Hill 1 v Belswans 0 (0-0)
Wrong again FR

ForeverRed
19-03-2018, 01:12 PM
Wrong again FR

Probs not, just a committee man covering arse,

boz-monaut
19-03-2018, 01:44 PM
what a fascinating insight into your world view

I'd love to hear your opinions on who did 9/11, the fake moon landing and how the earth is flat

ForeverRed
19-03-2018, 02:23 PM
I’m done, my bag limit is full, here fishy fishy 😂

fozphantom
20-03-2018, 12:05 AM
Probs not, just a committee man covering arse,

I’m done, my bag limit is full, here fishy fishy 😂

Don't you just love it when someone gets called out drawing the long bow or with BS,
-> and then they play the fishing card.
U cur, have been the one 'caught' out. Hook, line and sinker! :rof:

Alton
22-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Don't you just love it when someone gets called out drawing the long bow or with BS,
-> and then they play the fishing card.
U cur, have been the one 'caught' out. Hook, line and sinker! :rof:

As FR always is foz

cobra23
26-03-2018, 12:45 PM
we have heard forevereds REX HUNT card for many years when he was in the NPL thread.
just kiss him and let him go..

Retro Jet
01-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Cooks Hill v Kahibah
Athfield 31.3.18

1st C/Hill 2 v Kahibah 0 (0-0)
23s C/Hill 1 v Kahibah 1 (1-0)
19s C/Hill 0 v Kahibah 4 (0-1)

Cooks Hill v New Lambton
Athfield 1.4.18

U17s C/Hill 2 v N/Lambton 2 (0-0)
U15s C/Hill 0 v N/Lambton 3 (0-1)
U14s C/Hill 2 v N/Lambotn 5 (0-2)

Only posting cause I feel sorry for this poor excuse of a thread...
:sigh:

Imyourhero
01-04-2018, 09:21 PM
I think alot of discussion for this league is covered/happens on the newysports facebook page

Alton
03-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Get the cavalry back from Cookers FR, the weekends result was embarrassing.

boz-monaut
14-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Cooks Hill 2 New Lambton 1

can't recall the scores in other grades

ForeverBlack
30-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Newysports has reported Belswans have signed Clayton Poole. When did he last play and who with does anyone know

football_macigian23
23-07-2018, 01:25 PM
South Cardiff Football Club - 2019 Coaching Expressions of Interest

South Cardiff Football Club are seeking Expressions of Interest for all coaching positions in 2019, with our ongoing commitment to the NEWFM Northern League One Youth & Senior programs under the guidance of Head Coach Denis Fajkovic, we are seeking Expressions of Interests in all age groups listed below:

- Under 9's
- Under 13's
- Under 14's
- Under 15's
- Under 17's
- Senior Grades

South Cardiff Football Club is a youth focused club that is willing to work with the players to develop them with a long term approach. This is shown by the number of young players playing well above their age groups throughout the youth and senior programs to aid player development.

Please click on the link below to view the skills and qualities required as a South Cardiff coach and to submit your Expression of Interest.

https://goo.gl/forms/IbmX59FH13BHbkkR2

Applications will close on Friday 10th August 2018

outsider
24-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Surprised that no one has mentioned Toronto under 19 possible use of under age player last Sunday.Could lose 3 points to go with u23 forfeit.

Imyourhero
24-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Alot of conversation for this league tends to go through newysports facebook.

Alton
24-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Surprised that no one has mentioned Toronto under 19 possible use of under age player last Sunday.Could lose 3 points to go with u23 forfeit.

Surely they are gone, Scorps get the whoooooooooooooole ground to themselves.

Goatscheese
31-07-2018, 07:47 PM

And that's what did happen

GO AWAY
06-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Surely they are gone, Scorps get the whoooooooooooooole ground to themselves.

Will be a different Toronto Awaba next year ..96th year and some good things happening

Alton
06-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Will be a different Toronto Awaba next year ..96th year and some good things happening
And??

GO AWAY
06-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Dmac has just been confirmed as Head Coach on their FB page .......good appointment

boz-monaut
07-08-2018, 10:00 AM
any word on the Grand Final location this year?

dan
07-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Youth - Lake Macquarie Roosters ground
Senior - Edgeworth Eagles ground

boz-monaut
07-08-2018, 10:09 AM
cheers

Imyourhero
07-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Dmac has just been confirmed as Head Coach on their FB page .......good appointment

Not a bad appointment.
Will be interesting if a few players follow him e.g. possibly some Maitland u20s who weren't getting a look in or ex-Thornton players from his time there. The biggest question will be if his son Nathan moves from South Cardiff.

ForeverBlack
07-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Not a bad appointment.
Will be interesting if a few players follow him e.g. possibly some Maitland u20s who weren't getting a look in or ex-Thornton players from his time there. The biggest question will be if his son Nathan moves from South Cardiff.

Is your young bloke going to the Stags Go Away. Doesn't seem to be getting many opportunities in first grade at Charlestown

GO AWAY
08-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Is your young bloke going to the Stags Go Away. Doesn't seem to be getting many opportunities in first grade at Charlestown

No idea mate, just turned 20 so he can make his own decisions, but I think NPL still his first priority... see what happens, but he is a Toronto Junior...but his choice.

fozphantom
12-08-2018, 09:57 AM
13 zip?
that's gotta be a 1st grade 2nd Div record - yeah?

front2
12-08-2018, 10:22 AM
That 13 zip is the equal record for a cookers first grade goals scored in a match. And the biggest winning margin in a match. Going on the 13-2 win against Eastlakes Hotspurs in 2004 ish.

The Hacker
12-08-2018, 10:26 AM
13 zip?
that's gotta be a 1st grade 2nd Div record - yeah?

This is why players bypass this league and go to ZPL where the comp is far stronger. In years gone by this comp was solid now it's a joke almost

Alton
13-08-2018, 12:59 PM
This is why players bypass this league and go to ZPL where the comp is far stronger. In years gone by this comp was solid now it's a joke almost
A very poor comp, I can't believe NNSW don't can it.

Goatscheese
13-08-2018, 11:05 PM

That is the aim, take the top 5 teams ditch the rest and have two NPL leagues.

boz-monaut
14-08-2018, 12:07 PM
let's be fair, this result is an indication of how little respect is shown by Toronto than how poor the competition, in particular Cooks Hill are

Cooks Hill have brought a level of professionalism and effort to this competition that should be applauded, rather than denigrate the whole competition because one club have issues

Toronto should sort these issues out or step down from the competition

pv4
14-08-2018, 12:13 PM
let's be fair, this result is an indication of how little respect is shown by Toronto than how poor the competition, in particular Cooks Hill are

Cooks Hill have brought a level of professionalism and effort to this competition that should be applauded, rather than denigrate the whole competition because one club have issues

I see this result as a long-term indication on how unsuited the age-restricted lower grades are for Newcastle Football as a whole. And I hear it is getting younger each year still. I strongly feel Toronto and other clubs would struggle less if the old-fashioned Reserve Grade still existed.

This is not attempting to take anything away from clubs whom are doing well in lower grades, but moreso bringing up an issue I've been worried about for years.

MFKS
14-08-2018, 12:17 PM

It more of a reflection of the failings of Northern to implement a decent promotion relegation system in Newy

Cook Hill have been running a good ship for a number of years

Northern have applied a glass ceiling and stopped promotion to NPL so Cooks Hill are basically waiting for thst opportunity to come up when ever Northern open the door

Tronto on the other hand have issues and have had for years
Instead of being relegated into the Zone Leagues where they currently belong they are being propped up as there is no relegation from New FM

This issue is easy to fix

Proper football pyramid in Australia at all levels

Clubs will tgen find tgeir rightful place in time

The Hacker
14-08-2018, 12:27 PM
That is the aim, take the top 5 teams ditch the rest and have two NPL leagues.

Mate let's be serious. Apart from Cooks Hill all the others would battle to make ZPL semis let alone compete with higher teams

boz-monaut
14-08-2018, 12:37 PM
the competition when you take away the outliers of Cooks Hill and Toronto is fairly even and of a higher quality and structure than ZPL

but to be fair it's closer to ZPL than it is to NBN - by a fair margin

The Hacker
14-08-2018, 12:39 PM
the competition when you take away the outliers of Cooks Hill and Toronto is fairly even and of a higher quality and structure than ZPL

but to be fair it's closer to ZPL than it is to NBN - by a fair margin

Totally agree but having seen both comps I'd take Dudley, Suns over all but Cooks Hill if I had to put my hard earned on it

ForeverRed
14-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Cooks hill aren’t going any where whilst they are playing at the athletics field, worse then CB complex

MFKS
14-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Cooks hill aren’t going any where whilst they are playing at the athletics field, worse then CB complex

No its not FR

You dont have to leave the ground for a piss at the Athletics Track

CB Complex on the other hand .....

boz-monaut
14-08-2018, 04:22 PM
the surface is improving year by year and the facilities are higher than most
NPL clubs

I'll informed comments and gramattical errors make you look as stupid though

Imyourhero
14-08-2018, 04:47 PM
AthField has potential but there is definitely some improvements to be made.
Still no worse than CB though

ForeverRed
14-08-2018, 05:53 PM
the surface is improving year by year and the facilities are higher than most
NPL clubs

I was at the athletic track 4 weeks ago watching cookers, if the grounds improved this year I’d hate to have seen it last year, it’s a mess.

ForeverRed
14-08-2018, 05:55 PM
No its not FR

You dont have to leave the ground for a piss at the Athletics Track

CB Complex on the other hand .....
Your right mfks, there thinking behind this was “your not going to miss anything here”, I think they got it right

boz-monaut
14-08-2018, 06:44 PM
is your grammar really that bad or are you taking the piss?

plague
14-08-2018, 08:43 PM

i was at a club presentation the other night and they indicated that NEWFM is going to be removed over the next 5 years and align with other state feds having NPL and ZPL comps.

unless i heard that wrong.

Macca
15-08-2018, 08:37 AM
Change rooms at Athfield are great.
Main complaints from a player point of view are lack of parking and lack of area to warm up.

pv4
15-08-2018, 08:52 AM

:rof::oops:

boz-monaut
15-08-2018, 08:59 AM
stupid auto correct

Not Maradona
15-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Main complaints from a player point of view are lack of parking and lack of area to warm up.

There you have one of the biggest issues for Cooks Hill to be promoted. Quality of change rooms are not part of the facility requirements, parking and warm up areas are.

Dontknowmuch
15-08-2018, 11:19 AM

The field currently is an abosolute disgrace and not fit for any football, there is no room for a decent warm up and cant ever see there being enough. Car Parking is an issue at most grounds and there facilities and changerooms are as good as anywhere. The ground can be fixed but cant see how they can pass NPL requirements with no suitable warm up area.

Alton
15-08-2018, 12:36 PM
The field currently is an abosolute disgrace and not fit for any football, there is no room for a decent warm up and cant ever see there being enough. Car Parking is an issue at most grounds and there facilities and changerooms are as good as anywhere. The ground can be fixed but cant see how they can pass NPL requirements with no suitable warm up area.
They can never be promoted playing there

Premy
15-08-2018, 12:43 PM
Aside from being linked to a junior club, wasn't the reason Phoenix moved to Belmont because the athletics track was no good and they couldn't get onto No1?

The Hacker
15-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Surly they can play at no 2 last time I checked it's a council ground it's not owned by Wanderers

idontwannaplaywithhowey
15-08-2018, 01:39 PM
i was at a club presentation the other night and they indicated that NEWFM is going to be removed over the next 5 years and align with other state feds having NPL and ZPL comps.

unless i heard that wrong.

The licence period ends at the end of next season.
I would think there would be an application process and the teams Northern want will jump up to make a larger NPL, the rest head of back to ZPL.
You would think they would only take 3-4 from NEWFM.

Alton
15-08-2018, 03:34 PM
They can never be promoted playing there

Plus it runs almost east / west

Stanley
15-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Plus it runs almost east / west

Only good for night games

The Postman
15-08-2018, 03:59 PM
Two 8-Team NPLs is NNSW’s goal for 2020, always has been. Why drag it out any longer than it has been already.

3 unfortunate current NPL teams to be dropped as I don’t see the Jets Youth going anywhere.

3 NPL teams plus the 5 “best” NewFM teams, as in 5 teams who meet the criteria so if they were promoted to NPL1 there wouldn’t be any issues.

Can you name the 5? I’m struggling.

Cessnock probably have the best bet with their ground being great, all the facilities, have Junior teams and have been successful in their rebuild the last 2 years.

South Cardiff are similar to Cessnock in many regards, so they could be a safe bet.

Cookers, New Lambton and Kahibah, 3 of the biggest clubs in Newcastle all play on glorified junior grounds. They probably have the coaches, committee and money to get to NPL but until they have their ground situations sorted out I don’t see them moving up.

Singo, Thornton, Westy, Wallsend, Belswans and Stags. Various levels of success this year and one notable failure. Some of these clubs have been in around the top level in last 20 or years so it could be hard to see them drop to the ZL.

Could be the end for some, a club like Wallsend who already exist in the structure, what would happen there? Toronto, surely couldn’t justify their huge rego prices and playing out of the Scorps Stadium anymore. Westy already pulled back from the brink a couple years ago, could be the final nail. Barnsley could be about to get a lot stronger.

boz-monaut
15-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Parking

the athletic field has 29 designated car parks, along with two disabled parks on an asphalt car park - with additional parking across the road and at Marketown

looking to nearby NPL clubs, Lambton have a patch of dirt, Adamstown have zero but you can park on the hill, Olympic have a patch of dirt

Warm up areas

the athletic field has behind the goals on the southern end, or a corner on the northern end of the track we could fix with some earthworks

East/West

The field is 50 degrees off a north south bearing - it's not an issue if you've ever played there

KSSFC
15-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Two 8-Team NPLs is NNSW’s goal for 2020, always has been. Why drag it out any longer than it has been already.

3 unfortunate current NPL teams to be dropped as I don’t see the Jets Youth going anywhere.

3 NPL teams plus the 5 “best” NewFM teams, as in 5 teams who meet the criteria so if they were promoted to NPL1 there wouldn’t be any issues.

Can you name the 5? I’m struggling.

Cessnock probably have the best bet with their ground being great, all the facilities, have Junior teams and have been successful in their rebuild the last 2 years.

South Cardiff are similar to Cessnock in many regards, so they could be a safe bet.

Cookers, New Lambton and Kahibah, 3 of the biggest clubs in Newcastle all play on glorified junior grounds. They probably have the coaches, committee and money to get to NPL but until they have their ground situations sorted out I don’t see them moving up.

Singo, Thornton, Westy, Wallsend, Belswans and Stags. Various levels of success this year and one notable failure. Some of these clubs have been in around the top level in last 20 or years so it could be hard to see them drop to the ZL.

Could be the end for some, a club like Wallsend who already exist in the structure, what would happen there? Toronto, surely couldn’t justify their huge rego prices and playing out of the Scorps Stadium anymore. Westy already pulled back from the brink a couple years ago, could be the final nail. Barnsley could be about to get a lot stronger.

Id like to see the following:
NPL - 12 teams - current 10 + top 2 that meet initial criteria from NewFM. you dont want to play the same team 3 times.
NPL2 - 12 teams - a merger of ZPL and NewFM. No criteria.

Move to u18s / reserves / first grade.

from here, the winner of NPL2 has a playoff game vs last place in NPL. The winner is in NPL the following year. The only criteria they then have to meet is a fenced off ground. If not, no relegation / promotion that year.

Charman
15-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Jeez Boz, one might think you are affiliated with Cooks Hill. 😂

ForeverRed
15-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Parking

the athletic field has 29 designated car parks, along with two disabled parks on an asphalt car park - with additional parking across the road and at Marketown

looking to nearby NPL clubs, Lambton have a patch of dirt, Adamstown have zero but you can park on the hill, Olympic have a patch of dirt

Warm up areas

the athletic field has behind the goals on the southern end, or a corner on the northern end of the track we could fix with some earthworks

East/West

The field is 50 degrees off a north south bearing - it's not an issue if you've ever played there

You failed to mention Cooks Hill's patch of dirt, the pitch.

boz-monaut
15-08-2018, 06:59 PM
I've never made it a secret - bit hard to really

and we are more aware of the issues with the playing surface, no one is hiding from that fact either

pv4
15-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Aside from being linked to a junior club, wasn't the reason Phoenix moved to Belmont because the athletics track was no good and they couldn't get onto No1?

Weren't Phoenix at Number 1 at least the last few years of their existence? I only ever remember playing them there.

MFKS
15-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Parking

Warm up areas

East/West

What are you defining as Car Parking though??

Because Most NPL clubs parking is on the streets surrounding the ground
Some clubs allow vehicles onto the hills but some dont

So if your calling that parking then your drawing a long long bow

Most clubs would be lucky to have a car park that they were not drawing a long bow to claim it as a car park

Retro Jet
16-08-2018, 01:12 AM
What are you defining as Car Parking though??

Because Most NPL clubs parking is on the streets surrounding the ground
Some clubs allow vehicles onto the hills but some dont

So if your calling that parking then your drawing a long long bow

Most clubs would be lucky to have a car park that they were not drawing a long bow to claim it as a car park

Math days that would probably be just for match and club officials anyway. Maybe a few spots for some cocky 1st graders too? lol

On another subject, since when were NNSWF clubs asked to pay for match officials in a semi series?
I don't remember it any years from 2015 and we've had teams in them every one of those 4 NewFM years.

Bremsstrahlung
16-08-2018, 06:30 AM
It’s always a bit of a touchy and passionate subject. Which is the great thing about football.
FR, you know how much effort, time and patience is involved in operating a NPL/New FM club and how difficult it can be to get anything to happen. And it’s a big credit to anybody who is giving up their time being involved with a club.

I think the future needs to be promotion relegation across all competitions.
No exclusive NPL license periods. Clubs should be able to apply every year as they start to meet criteria. Standardised criteria from ZL3 to NPL. Eg, teams/aged teams that clubs must be able to field, ground specifications etc. and club x that currently play in ZL3 will be able to be granted a license to play up to NEWFM or ZL1 as their facilities meet that standard. But they still need the results.
One change I would like to see, is the ability for clubs to avoid relegation if their youth teams are performing well. The problem with promotion/relegation is that the focus is often on short term success and brining in players for $$$ and neglecting juniors/youth teams. If a team doesn’t come last on club championship, they should be saved or play a playoff game, some kind of second chance, as an incentive to continue to promote and develop youth.

An interesting thing I’ve somewhat realised and the reality of football now is that there is very little loyalty.
There was a time, if a club got relegated, players would stick around and mount a challenge to get the club promoted again.
Eg CCB players took a year or 2 off from CCB and played elsewhere and when promotion was back, they went back to NEWFM and helped them get back up.
You don’t see that much now. Players want to play highest level. No matter what clubs are promoted or play where, the best players will always find a club to play for. The clubs are left disbanded and struggling in their new division and need to basically reformat the club and start again. Happens in the EPL and championship and will happen here in local football.
It’s sad to see the likes of South Cardiff, Toronto, West Wallsend etc in the position they are in now due to players leaving once they were relegated and the effects of the 3 year NPL license.

A question for the future? Do you want club sustainability as a focus? And creating a competitive competition? Or do you want the focus on development and mandated age restrictions etc. No reason it can’t be both. But the best young players should be picked up by Jets and developed there. And idk, if you ain’t making the jets team to be top 20 players in your age group, you’re probably not likely to make it higher than NPL anyway.

ForeverRed
16-08-2018, 06:39 AM
It’s always a bit of a touchy and passionate subject. Which is the great thing about football.
FR, you know how much effort, time and patience is involved in operating a NPL/New FM club and how difficult it can be to get anything to happen. And it’s a big credit to anybody who is giving up their time being involved with a club.

I think the future needs to be promotion relegation across all competitions.
No exclusive NPL license periods. Clubs should be able to apply every year as they start to meet criteria. Standardised criteria from ZL3 to NPL. Eg, teams/aged teams that clubs must be able to field, ground specifications etc. and club x that currently play in ZL3 will be able to be granted a license to play up to NEWFM or ZL1 as their facilities meet that standard. But they still need the results.
One change I would like to see, is the ability for clubs to avoid relegation if their youth teams are performing well. The problem with promotion/relegation is that the focus is often on short term success and brining in players for $$$ and neglecting juniors/youth teams. If a team doesn’t come last on club championship, they should be saved or play a playoff game, some kind of second chance, as an incentive to continue to promote and develop youth.

An interesting thing I’ve somewhat realised and the reality of football now is that there is very little loyalty.
There was a time, if a club got relegated, players would stick around and mount a challenge to get the club promoted again.
Eg CCB players took a year or 2 off from CCB and played elsewhere and when promotion was back, they went back to NEWFM and helped them get back up.
You don’t see that much now. Players want to play highest level. No matter what clubs are promoted or play where, the best players will always find a club to play for. The clubs are left disbanded and struggling in their new division and need to basically reformat the club and start again. Happens in the EPL and championship and will happen here in local football.
It’s sad to see the likes of South Cardiff, Toronto, West Wallsend etc in the position they are in now due to players leaving once they were relegated and the effects of the 3 year NPL license.

A question for the future? Do you want club sustainability as a focus? And creating a competitive competition? Or do you want the focus on development and mandated age restrictions etc. No reason it can’t be both. But the best young players should be picked up by Jets and developed there. And idk, if you ain’t making the jets team to be top 20 players in your age group, you’re probably not likely to make it higher than NPL anyway.

One thing I disagree with is your spotlight on youth, re promotion/relegation, this makes youth development a win at all costs scenario and will push development aside

Bremsstrahlung
16-08-2018, 10:47 AM
One thing I disagree with is your spotlight on youth, re promotion/relegation, this makes youth development a win at all costs scenario and will push development aside

That’s a good point.
I’m not sure how else they could reward youth investment. I guess the points benefits are good even though the rest of it turns into a joke.

Imyourhero
16-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Pro/Rel based on club championship? Thoughts?

MFKS
16-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Pro/Rel based on club championship? Thoughts?

Happens in the NSWPL

Smurfs Yoof would have been relegated based on their First Grade efforts normally

But have dominant 20s and 18s which got them up the rankings to safety

Bonnyrigg went down after poor results across all 3 grades

I think bring it in here

Imyourhero
16-08-2018, 01:04 PM
I prefer the idea on pro/rel being based on dominant CLUBS, not a dominant TEAM.
So I agree that I'd like to see it up here

Johnno
16-08-2018, 04:20 PM
I prefer the idea on pro/rel being based on dominant CLUBS, not a dominant TEAM.
So I agree that I'd like to see it up here

FNSW are about to change back to just basing on 1st grade only from next year.

Imyourhero
16-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Any ideas on what the feedback was leading to the reverse back to 1st grade only?

Johnno
16-08-2018, 10:19 PM
Any ideas on what the feedback was leading to the reverse back to 1st grade only?

The powerful clubs Influenced FNSW to change it. Watch those clubs now go on a massive spending spree in the off-season. I think it should be across all grades in now competitions with minimal waiting applied to youth grades.

Bremsstrahlung
17-08-2018, 07:18 AM
Not sure solely club championship is the way to go. For reasons FR suggested, it puts a lot of pressure on unpaid 16-20 year olds.
I think the responsibility should come down to the paid senior players at the club.

Then, once a team finishes last, if they are last in club championship, see ya. Otherwise Give the youth a chance to save them in way of a playoff game against the team last in club championship, or a playoff with the promoted team if they aren’t top of club championship.

Generally speaking, it takes some extenuating circumstances to have club championship to reflect anything other than the first grade table. But if it is different, there’s grounds to challenge who it’s better to relegate

traffic light
17-08-2018, 01:41 PM
No exclusive NPL license periods.

Maybe but this would put all focus on the 1st team with big $$ and ignore youth structure which has just been restructured. Need the youth to have some input.

How about who ever goes up has 2 years immunity then back to a yearly basis. Imagine a relegation playoff, spare no ankles boys.

MFKS
18-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Not sure solely club championship is the way to go. For reasons FR suggested, it puts a lot of pressure on unpaid 16-20 year olds.
I think the responsibility should come down to the paid senior players at the club.

Then, once a team finishes last, if they are last in club championship, see ya. Otherwise Give the youth a chance to save them in way of a playoff game against the team last in club championship, or a playoff with the promoted team if they aren’t top of club championship.

Generally speaking, it takes some extenuating circumstances to have club championship to reflect anything other than the first grade table. But if it is different, there’s grounds to challenge who it’s better to relegate

I dont see how it puts pressure on the 18s and 20s to save a clubs arse
If anything it actually puts pressure on the comittee of a club to actually have a holistic approach to the 3 grades

There are clubs out there ie Jaffas who for the last few years have had as red hot first grade side but have made very minimal efforts in the lower grades. This season they have been better but for thge last few years pretty abysmal

If it getting to mid August and a club is relying on their 18s to get a result to bail the club out of the shit then really do they deserve to be staying up??

Probably not in my opinion

If anything I would like to see a bit more volatility to things
2 up 2 down I think be a much better system

Let clubs move up and down grades quicker

Well run clubs need to be able to progress . Poor run clubs need to be relegated

The current system is a joke and is a lot like the HAL a needless closed shop that is breeding mediocrity

hamburgler
18-08-2018, 01:44 PM
I dont see how it puts pressure on the 18s and 20s to save a clubs arse
If anything it actually puts pressure on the comittee of a club to actually have a holistic approach to the 3 grades

There are clubs out there ie Jaffas who for the last few years have had as red hot first grade side but have made very minimal efforts in the lower grades. This season they have been better but for thge last few years pretty abysmal

If it getting to mid August and a club is relying on their 18s to get a result to bail the club out of the shit then really do they deserve to be staying up??

Probably not in my opinion

If anything I would like to see a bit more volatility to things
2 up 2 down I think be a much better system

Let clubs move up and down grades quicker

Well run clubs need to be able to progress . Poor run clubs need to be relegated

The current system is a joke and is a lot like the HAL a needless closed shop that is breeding mediocrity

Agree with what you are saying member except your point on Jaffas 18s and 20s.

If 20s lose today they finish last and 18s are close to last. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Johnno
18-08-2018, 05:01 PM
Agree with what you are saying member except your point on Jaffas 18s and 20s.

If 20s lose today they finish last and 18s are close to last. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Agree on both fronts and you can throw Maitland in the mix. There youth grades are terrible and always finish down the bottom. There 20s are OK but forget the rest below that.

boz-monaut
18-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Semi final first leg score:

Belmont/Swansea 1 Cooks Hill 1

Imyourhero
18-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Agree on both fronts and you can throw Maitland in the mix. There youth grades are terrible and always finish down the bottom. There 20s are OK but forget the rest below that.

Just OK and won the comp?

pv4
24-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Newysports facebook page has said Toronto 19s had to forfeit their recent semi final, after the game, because they fielded a suspended player.

One of the comments on the post claims an email trail between NNSW and the club had confirmed all suspended players, and the player in question wasn't included on the suspension list and the club was told after the game he was suspended so then were handed the forfeit.

Some serious questions need to be asked of NNSW if true.

EDIT: there's a comment on there saying someone from the club had misintepreted the NNSW email. This seemingly isn't an issue. Ignore :oops:

Hunter403
02-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Just on the NPL1 and NPL2 thing...as someone heavily involved in a NEWFM clubs NPL application for 2020, I can tell you that the preferred option is, as stated earlier, 2 comps of 8 teams. However, I have it from someone very senior at NNSW that if the current NEWFM teams can only produce 1 or 2 clubs that meet the criteria and therefore not have enough teams for 2 x 8, they will promote those teams to NPL and go to a 14 team comp (or whatever it works out to be).

travellingman
04-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Just on the NPL1 and NPL2 thing...as someone heavily involved in a NEWFM clubs NPL application for 2020, I can tell you that the preferred option is, as stated earlier, 2 comps of 8 teams. However, I have it from someone very senior at NNSW that if the current NEWFM teams can only produce 1 or 2 clubs that meet the criteria and therefore not have enough teams for 2 x 8, they will promote those teams to NPL and go to a 14 team comp (or whatever it works out to be).

Who would the 1 or 2 clubs that meet the criteria be?

Bremsstrahlung
04-09-2018, 06:53 AM
“If only 1 or 2 meet criteria”

Not definitely only 2...
Ideally there would be what? 5 more clubs? 2 x comps of 8.

Alton
04-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Who would the 1 or 2 clubs that meet the criteria be?

Well Westy used to be in top league and were compliant then so there is one, the other would be Belswans. Some may argue Southy but they are a basket case my good mate (who played there this year) tells me and have done very little the last few years in improving anything.

traffic light
04-09-2018, 02:49 PM

so currently 11 clubs in top 2 grades.

2 x 8 club comps would mean 3 npl clubs down to npl1 then 6 npl1 clubs down to ZPL. seems a little thin.

Plus I thought each federation needed a prom/rel league. Having one 14 league npl might not satisfy.

travellingman
04-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Well Westy used to be in top league and were compliant then so there is one, the other would be Belswans. Some may argue Southy but they are a basket case my good mate (who played there this year) tells me and have done very little the last few years in improving anything.

Belswans won't be one as they can't get junior teams. The 14's or 15's couldn't field a team this year and NNSW weren't happy about that.
If you look at it closely, I don't think any team meets the NPL criteria completely. Maybe they will allow a year or two to meet it if selected.
If that is the case who do you select?
A case can be made for the following, in particular order.
Cessnock, Cookers, New Lambton, Wallsend, Kahibah, Southy, Thornton and even the Swans

Hunter403
04-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Ideally it is going to be NPL1 and 2, each of 8 clubs(16 teams). You can already hear the screams of the current NPL clubs that would be relegated!

Should the current NEWFM comp serve up 5 clubs that make the criteria, then happy days (except for the aforementioned 3 NPL clubs). Should the current licencing programme deliver something less than 5 (one or two was what I was told) then we will have an NPL of 12 to 14 teams. No idea if NEWFM will be expanded or run with less teams.

Clubs that are known or rumoured to have applied from the NEWFM: Kahibah, Cooks Hill, South Cardiff, West Wallsend, Wallsend. Not heard about any others, but if anyone can enlighten me, I would be grateful.

I am also told that the youth grades will not be split into NPL1 and NP2, but rather they will all be in together. This is a good solution. Imagine winning all grades in youth but coming last in first grade and your club gets relegated. All those youth kids might walk rather than drop a grade. No drop means less likely to leave.

Premy
04-09-2018, 06:12 PM
In my opinion Northern should do away with the NPL altogether.
Have 6 clubs 2 each from Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Hunter Valley join the NSW NPL. The rest then form a Northern Leagues system with promotion and relegation from top to bottom.

MFKS
04-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Have 6 clubs 2 each from Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Hunter Valley join the NSW NPL. The rest then form a Northern Leagues system with promotion and relegation from top to bottom.

If the dumb ****s at FFA had a clue they wpuld actually force Northern and NSW to actually merge

I dont understand how the other states in Oz aint blowing a gasket about NSW getting 2 Federations 2 votes 2 of everything etc

You would think the other 5 states would be pushing for equality at some stage

traffic light
06-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Which 2 teams? ww3 would breakout

Maybe have a newcastle "rep" team in the nsw npl. Creates a direct pathway to Sydney or State teams.

Need to keep our comp as strong as possible while keeping a higher pathway open. currently near non existent. Not many nnsw npl players hitting aleague is there?

Alton
06-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Maybe have a newcastle "rep" team in the nsw npl. Creates a direct pathway to Sydney or State teams.

Need to keep our comp as strong as possible while keeping a higher pathway open. currently near non existent. Not many nnsw npl players hitting aleague is there?

That is easy -
Magic, Olympic, Edgy, CCB, Weston, Maitland

Premy
06-09-2018, 04:39 PM

I couldn't give 2 shits which 6 clubs would be selected to be honest, as long as it's the 2 best candidates from their respective region.
Be it an existing NNSW NPL team and amalgamation of current clubs or a brand new entity. As long as they can be successful on and off the pitch.

The proposed local tiers (Northern Premier Leagues or whatever you want to call it) under the NSW NPL system would still be as strong as it could be. Lets face it, if you direct the best local talent across 6 clubs playing at a higher level (NSW NPL system) it will benefit those in that system. If you aren't good enough to make it in any of those 6 clubs then you're probably not going to make it to the next level then anyway.

ForeverBlack
06-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Rumours growing stronger of an NPL 1 and an NPL 2 from season 2020 with promotion and relegation between these 2 divisions each year.
My thoughts
NPL 1
EDGEWORTH
MAGIC
OLYMPIC
JAFFAS
AZZURRI
WESTON
MAITLAND
LAKES
NPL 2
JETS YOUTH
VALENTINE
ADAMSTOWN
COOKS HILL
CESSNOCK
WEST WALLSEND
BELSWANS
TORONTO/ SOUTHY
It will be interesting to see if northern come up with any transparency in the selection process of who makes up what division. Will it be criteria based or results based. And if so northern should be informing clubs now.
Will they go with the top 8 teams in NPL at the end of season 2019 and the bottom 3 clubs get relegated

MFKS
06-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Rumours growing stronger of an NPL 1 and an NPL 2 from season 2020 with promotion and relegation between these 2 divisions each year.
My thoughts
NPL 1
EDGEWORTH
MAGIC
OLYMPIC
JAFFAS
AZZURRI
WESTON
MAITLAND
LAKES
NPL 2
JETS YOUTH
VALENTINE
ADAMSTOWN
COOKS HILL
CESSNOCK
WEST WALLSEND
BELSWANS
TORONTO/ SOUTHY
It will be interesting to see if northern come up with any transparency in the selection process of who makes up what division. Will it be criteria based or results based. And if so northern should be informing clubs now.
Will they go with the top 8 teams in NPL at the end of season 2019 and the bottom 3 clubs get relegated

Considering that every NPL club of note has their own ground and no access issues into cricket season why are we not trying to expand the season ??

20 game season could be looked at being bulked up to another 6/10 games easy

As much as I am a fan of promotion and relegation going down in number of teams for me isnt a good thing

I would rather we were upping it towards a 14/16 team top division

Goatscheese
06-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Clubs that are known or rumoured to have applied from the NEWFM: Kahibah, Cooks Hill, South Cardiff, West Wallsend, Wallsend. Not heard about any others, but if anyone can enlighten me, I would be grateful.

New Lambton as well, they are about to build a stadium at Alder Park to help them meet the criteria.

I am also told that the youth grades will not be split into NPL1 and NP2, but rather they will all be in together. This is a good solution. Imagine winning all grades in youth but coming last in first grade and your club gets relegated. All those youth kids might walk rather than drop a grade. No drop means less likely to leave.

Probably not a bad idea, but they could combat this by having a Club Championship decide on relegation/promotion

Goatscheese
06-09-2018, 08:22 PM

A rep team and the Emerging Jets.

At any rate the Emerging Jets would be one team so it would be which 1 team moves into it.

Goatscheese
06-09-2018, 08:23 PM

That would be the most sensible option, which means Northern won't do it.

pessimist
06-09-2018, 09:30 PM

Would rather see 2 groups of 10 teams with yearly relegation/promotion

Maybe a chance for the top ZPL team for promotion every 2nd year if meeting criteria.

ForeverRed
06-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Clubs will go nowhere without an NPL license, only a few in Newfm have one,

The Postman
07-09-2018, 12:20 AM
And that’s why just pushing 2/3 teams from NewFM into an expanded NPL is the only solution.

They won’t get 5 NewFM teams that meet the entire NPL criteria. No point having a team in the NPL2 that can’t get promoted.

And as other people have said, imagine the backlash when NNSW want to drop 3 current NPL teams and you can bet that one of them won’t be the Jets.

So you’ll have 1 NPL with 11-14 teams and the remaining NewFM teams are left to go back into the ZL system.

The Anvil
07-09-2018, 06:52 AM
I think Northern/Newcastle Football should streamline the top 2 divisions. 2 x 10 team comps. 1st grade, reserve grade, 20's or 23's whatever.
Promotion and Relegation for top/bottom 2 (first grade) teams. (NPL & NL1/NewFM)
The 20's/23's all play in one comp, essentially like how the UK does their elite youth competition. ( eg, Broadmeadow magic vs New Lambton) 19 game season.

Even through to ZPL, it should be the right of the ZPL club who are Minor Premiers to decide weather they accept promotion into NL1/NewFm. It should not come down to licensing or ground restrictions to be able to play in that competition. If they choose too or think they can field at 20's/23's side, let them. Obviously people will whinge about ground facilities, but players also need to learn how to play on paddocks and adapt to conditions.

Zone Leagues just stay the way they are for promotion/relegation. 1 up and 1 down

Bremsstrahlung
07-09-2018, 07:38 AM
I think the 2020 season should be planned factoring in results from NPL and New FM.

Grant licenses to teams as they qualify. No more “3 year license period”. If we want our clubs to improve, there’s not much point making them wait 3 years. If they meet the criteria, they get a license, if they don’t meet it, NNSW should clearly tell them what they need to do, or in some cases maybe a conditional license, eg license for 2 years, to allow time ground improvements etc. if not completed, they lose the license.

I’m not a fan of any massive changes to NPL 1 atm. I think 1 or 2 teams could be promoted.
Then base it off minor premiers or club championship in New FM. If they win, they have a opportunity to join NPL1.
I think this should be the way forward. Increase the numbers in NPL1 and then when we get to 20 licenses, split.

I’m not sure the sporting landscape in Newcastle supports second best in terms of leagues and competitions.
Crowds for NPL1 will be higher and NPL2 will end up being a bit of a graveyard.

Regardless of what clubs are up in NPL, the best players will be spread amongst them. It happened each year.
South Cardiff go down, their best players find other NPL clubs and their club struggles away in Second division with a completely new team. Azzurri and makes go down and majority of their players left. Few club stalwarts played to regain promotion.
Same for promoted teams, they attract players that maybe aren’t getting games at their current clubs.
It’s just a big merry go round in terms of players.

If Olympic or Magic were to be relegated, I dare say a majority of their club would disperse to other clubs.

What’s the preferred outcome:
A) one NPL with gradual increase of clubs, with no relegation
B) 2 NPL with promotion and relegation between
C) 1 or 2 NPL with promotion and relegation between all levels down to ZL3

MFKS
07-09-2018, 08:27 AM
I think Northern/Newcastle Football should streamline the top 2 divisions. 2 x 10 team comps. 1st grade, reserve grade, 20's or 23's whatever.
Promotion and Relegation for top/bottom 2 (first grade) teams. (NPL & NL1/NewFM)
The 20's/23's all play in one comp, essentially like how the UK does their elite youth competition. ( eg, Broadmeadow magic vs New Lambton) 19 game season.

Even through to ZPL, it should be the right of the ZPL club who are Minor Premiers to decide weather they accept promotion into NL1/NewFm. It should not come down to licensing or ground restrictions to be able to play in that competition. If they choose too or think they can field at 20's/23's side, let them. Obviously people will whinge about ground facilities, but players also need to learn how to play on paddocks and adapt to conditions.

Zone Leagues just stay the way they are for promotion/relegation. 1 up and 1 down

That idea to do the youth in the one comp is a great idea

When the NPL started the clubs like Valo and Lakes and Southy whom have got relegated have pretty much crippled their yoof set up as the Seniors got relegated

Should have left their Yoof in the NPL Yoof and increased the size of that comp whilst the Seniors done penance in New FM

Even more stupid when Lakes and Valo have had to rebuild it all again a year or so later once they got promotion

football_macigian23
07-09-2018, 09:28 AM

Noticed on Southy's Facebook this morning that they've been given a $130k grant to improve their lighting and playing surface at Ulinga. Seems to be work going on in the background that none of us can see

Bremsstrahlung
07-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Noticed on Southy's Facebook this morning that they've been given a $130k grant to improve their lighting and playing surface at Ulinga. Seems to be work going on in the background that none of us can see

Good signs.
Sounds like they’ll be trying for a license.

MFKS
07-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Speaking of lighting those lights at Edgy last Saturday night were terrible for a match and it bizarre that a club with as much coin as Edgy have spent over the years have lighting that is barely suitable for training let alone a match

How many clubs in Newy actually have adequate lights for say FFA Cup games bar Magic Park and Stade de Newy ??

oneeye
07-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Everyone needs to remember Northern will set the criteria to suit their criteria .

They expanded these divisions recently with Junior Teams for 3 reasons

1) Playing number increase to show FFA how they are growing game so they can continue to stand alone.
2) Increased Numbers = Increased REVENUE
3) To have all the best kids from 10-18 playing as a NNSWF member.

So there is no way they will send back 6 Clubs with 6 teams each back to ZLs.
600 players and revenue lost No Chance

What you will see is

NPL 1 8 Teams
NPL 2 8 Teams

With promotion/ relegation and a combined junior comp ages 12, 14, 16 18 , 20’s
A NPL Club could not handle 16 game comps in 9 age groups.

Northern League 10 Teams
6 teams who miss out on NPL + 4 Zone League Clubs
Junior age groups 13, 15 , 17, 19’s

Promoted Clubs could be Mayfield , Dudley , Swansea and Kotara due to all these areas have large Junior Clubs. This league could have a time frame to get up to the level.

So it will serve their 3 requirements
1) Increases NNSWF numbers by 400 players
2) Increases Revenue
3) All age groups are covered.

Hunter403
07-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Good signs.
Sounds like they’ll be trying for a license.

Yep,

Southy have put in the expression of interest and have moved to the next phase where they will be permitted to apply.

The grant from the Asian Cup legacy fund was only part of the gran that was awarded. It was a lot more than that in total. In addition, the facilities at Ulinga are slated for rebuilding in 2020/2021. New change rooms, new community hall, new canteens etc. Huge changes going on at Ulinga over the next couple of years including retaining wall to level field 2.

Their first grade just missed the top 4 this year, as did their 23s and their 15s lost 2 matches all year and won the grand final. They improved their committee as well this year and sponsorship.

Bremsstrahlung
07-09-2018, 06:06 PM
Good to hear.
It was a shame to see them go down. There were a lot of loyal players and committee members who wanted better.
I remember the clubhouse renovation/rebuilding was proposed about 8 years ago, and council knocked it back.
Here’s hoping a good quality facility is the outcome. Lots of space and potential there.

Hunter403
07-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Huge potential. Just needs to be tapped. Could become one of the best facilities in the region over time.

pessimist
07-09-2018, 07:11 PM
What you will see is

NPL 1 8 Teams
NPL 2 8 Teams

With promotion/ relegation and a combined junior comp ages 12, 14, 16 18 , 20’s
A NPL Club could not handle 16 game comps in 9 age groups.

Northern League 10 Teams
6 teams who miss out on NPL + 4 Zone League Clubs
Junior age groups 13, 15 , 17, 19’s

Is this Npl2 grade is higher than the current NewFM grade?

Hunter403
07-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Is this Npl2 grade is higher than the current NewFM grade?

Higher standards regarding competition criteria. Overtime, as SAP fills out the junior teams, it will get better

Hunter403
17-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Word is that all but 1 NEWFM club has completed the EOI for NPL.

Some met the criteria some did not but all are being allowed to progress to submission stage. NNSW will work with those that didn't hit the criteria to try and get them there.

NNSW must really want an NPL2 up and running.

Biggest issue will be money and facilities. Councils just won't spend the $ that need to be spent to get grounds / facilities up to NPL standard.

Premy
17-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Biggest issue will be money and facilities. Councils just won't spend the $ that need to be spent to get grounds / facilities up to NPL standard.
I know my next statement doesn't cover all clubs as I know one club that doesn't.

By why should council throw money at these clubs for ground improvements? These clubs throw money hand over fist to get players to play for them and then these clubs cry poorman to the council to pay for ground improvements. Rather than spending x amount of money to not get promoted invest that money into your own Facilities.
These clubs were given NL1 licenses for 3 years and NPL clubs were given immunity from relegation for 3 years. Meaning that spending money on players would be a waste as clubs had no promotion to gain yet they still wasted that money when it could have been spent elsewhere.

MFKS
17-09-2018, 08:30 PM
I know my next statement doesn't cover all clubs as I know one club that doesn't.

By why should council throw money at these clubs for ground improvements? These clubs throw money hand over fist to get players to play for them and then these clubs cry poorman to the council to pay for ground improvements. Rather than spending x amount of money to not get promoted invest that money into your own Facilities.
These clubs were given NL1 licenses for 3 years and NPL clubs were given immunity from relegation for 3 years. Meaning that spending money on players would be a waste as clubs had no promotion to gain yet they still wasted that money when it could have been spent elsewhere.

These clubs have also been going for how many ****ing years now??

Why in the 50/100 years or so they been operating have their facilities not actually made it up to spec??

Westy
Southy
Wallsend
Awaba
Cessnock

Have all been top flight clubs in the last 20 years

oneeye
17-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Word is that all but 1 NEWFM club has completed the EOI for NPL.

Some met the criteria some did not but all are being allowed to progress to submission stage. NNSW will work with those that didn't hit the criteria to try and get them there.

NNSW must really want an NPL2 up and running.

So if there has been a EOI how come no Zone Clubs were invited to apply ? Or has Northern already decided what they want ?

Hunter403
17-09-2018, 11:37 PM
I'm tired so this is all over the place...

No idea why no zone club was asked.

The Councils own the grounds. In Lake Mac you can't do anything to the ground without Council approval and in many instances they just won't give it. Additionally several NEWFM grounds are slated for facility upgrades over the next few years so there is no point spending the little money the clubs have on Council owned facilities that are going to be replaced.

The simple fact is that there are not enough grounds for a growing population and the Council has the responsibility to provide playing fields. That is why they collect s94 contributions from developers: to pay for these things. Grounds have to be improved as they are becoming overused and the facilities decrepit. We need new facilities for women's sport, disabled access etc..all things that weren't considered a few short years ago.

For most NEWFM clubs, who are tier 2 and unable to get the sponsorship dollars that the NPL clubs get, it is a matter of staying afloat financially unless you have a massive junior base and then you risk the argument of "the seniors are spending the kid's money". You talk about spending money on players...zone clubs are paying players so if you want the NEWFM to be the second tier, then the clubs have to pay.

To answer your question Member, NNSW don't have a facility criteria. You tell them what you have and they decide if it meets their criteria. Convenient. The facilities of those clubs that you mentioned were up to spec when they were last in the top grade, they just aren't now in most cases. No disabled access, no women's change rooms, no press box, no covered players race, no all weather seating ares. These requirements just weren't around before.

In several cases the facilities of the NEWFM club are superior to NPL clubs. For example, Valentine and Jaffas have pretty basic facilities that would be inferior to some NEWFM clubs.

At the end of the day, the better the ground, the better the football and that will only strengthen Australian football in the long term.

Premy, do you really think that the loss of promotion and relegation would stop the clubs doing what they could to win and to use that money on the ground? There are NPL clubs with budgets well over $100k to win a $10k prize. They put performance first because they are competitive. To think otherwise is a dream. Oh, and one of the criteria for NPL promotion is on field performance...

GO AWAY
18-09-2018, 07:27 AM
These clubs have also been going for how many ****ing years now??

Why in the 50/100 years or so they been operating have their facilities not actually made it up to spec??

Westy
Southy
Wallsend
Awaba
Cessnock

Have all been top flight clubs in the last 20 years
Please explain why awaba is " not up to spec " yes they share with the scorps, but make the trek there and you will find the best set up in NL1 and 90% of npl... the days of playing on mud because of the league are gone because of the irrigation and rye grass set up, inside parking , full fencing, new canteen , media room for viewing, granstands thd whole lot, so please tell me again why aren't awaba ms facilities not up to scratch

sammydog
18-09-2018, 10:22 AM
The Councils own the grounds. In Lake Mac you can't do anything to the ground without Council approval and in many instances they just won't give it. Additionally several NEWFM grounds are slated for facility upgrades over the next few years so there is no point spending the little money the clubs have on Council owned facilities that are going to be replaced.

We aren't NL1, but facilities wise, we have had no issues with Council and approval of upgrades.

Our experience has been that as long as you find the funding they are very open to approve facility changes/upgrades.

Goatscheese
18-09-2018, 06:38 PM
I'm tired so this is all over the place...

No idea why no zone club was asked.

The simple fact is that there are not enough grounds for a growing population and the Council has the responsibility to provide playing fields. That is why they collect s94 contributions from developers: to pay for these things. Grounds have to be improved as they are becoming overused and the facilities decrepit. We need new facilities for women's sport, disabled access etc..all things that weren't considered a few short years ago.

And while Lake Mac council might have plans for these Newcastle council really don't care much about spending any money at all and then won't allow clubs to spend their own money to fix things (even reseeding fields) without their approval (which they rarely give).

To answer your question Member, NNSW don't have a facility criteria. You tell them what you have and they decide if it meets their criteria. Convenient. The facilities of those clubs that you mentioned were up to spec when they were last in the top grade, they just aren't now in most cases. No disabled access, no women's change rooms, no press box, no covered players race, no all weather seating ares. These requirements just weren't around before.

Why would a club in a men's competition need women's change rooms? Though plenty of other clubs in NPL currently don't meet all of that criteria.

MFKS
18-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Please explain why awaba is " not up to spec " yes they share with the scorps, but make the trek there and you will find the best set up in NL1 and 90% of npl... the days of playing on mud because of the league are gone because of the irrigation and rye grass set up, inside parking , full fencing, new canteen , media room for viewing, granstands thd whole lot, so please tell me again why aren't awaba ms facilities not up to scratch

My point was that those clubs have been around for years and all were in the top flight at some stage in the last 20 years

So there is really no reason during this time as top flight clubs why any of these clubs facility wise should not be up to standard

So as a result half these clubs should be easily capable of making NPL requirements without scratching their arse

Capisce??

Goatscheese
18-09-2018, 10:13 PM
My point was that those clubs have been around for years and all were in the top flight at some stage in the last 20 years

So there is really no reason during this time as top flight clubs why any of these clubs facility wise should not be up to standard

So as a result half these clubs should be easily capable of making NPL requirements without scratching their arse

The standards were lower back then, look at the top clubs in the world and the difference between their facilities 20-30 years ago to now.

Bremsstrahlung
19-09-2018, 10:43 AM
I don’t think he’s being negative in his appraisal of them.
My interpretation is that he’s saying they should meet the criteria.

I dare say a lot of clubs would be on par if not better than some of the NPL clubs like Jaffas, or Adamstown or Valentine.
Anyway, it’s all subjective which grounds are better.

GO AWAY
24-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Some decent signings announced by the stags on the weekend, with some more to come at a guess

Alton
24-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Some decent signings announced by the stags on the weekend, with some more to come at a guess
Announced where?

GO AWAY
24-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Announced where?

Stags fb page and newy sports

Why Blue
25-09-2018, 07:03 AM

Shameless promotion GA 😃😃
But seriously what happened at CCB
No loyalty for years of service

ForeverBlack
25-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Shameless promotion GA 😃😃
But seriously what happened at CCB
No loyalty for years of service

Go Away's young bloke isn't getting a look in at CCB while ever Goodchild and Smith are still playing.

GO AWAY
25-09-2018, 11:04 AM
Go Away's young bloke isn't getting a look in at CCB while ever Goodchild and Smith are still playing.

Makes it very hard yes, but he was offered a spot at Azzurri by Tanch, just wants more game time then what he was getting, and Dmac knows him well from playing with Nathan and others in the Indigenous sides, so was a no brainer for him, pLus only 20, plenty of time for NPL, he is looking forward to this season at his junior club ( before Azzurri ).

Fair few U20 leaving, obviously believing the same theory as you stated, hard to get a crack for a young bloke under Tanch, but that's the way it is, I know of two to Toronto, Two to Belswans and one to Dudley from last year

rawr.
25-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Why would a club in a men's competition need women's change rooms? Though plenty of other clubs in NPL currently don't meet all of that criteria.

is it not more "women friendly" change rooms than a women's change room., so individual shower cubicles, more secure change rooms that you can't see into from the entry door.

Goatscheese
25-09-2018, 10:46 PM
is it not more "women friendly" change rooms than a women's change room., so individual shower cubicles, more secure change rooms that you can't see into from the entry door.

Again, why does a club participating in a men's competition need "women friendly" changerooms?

GO AWAY
30-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Cooks hill
Belswans
Southy
Westy
Stags
Wallsend
Thornton
New Lambton
Cessnock
Kahibah
Singleton

ForeverBlack
30-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Cooks hill
Belswans
Southy
Westy
Stags
Wallsend
Cessnock
Singleton

Has New-Fm been changed to an 8 team comp ?
What happened to Kahibah Thornton and New Lambton ?

GO AWAY
30-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Has New-Fm been changed to an 8 team comp ?
What happened to Kahibah Thornton and New Lambton ?

Too excited and hit the button too quick :)

Preston North End
30-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Cooks hill
Belswans
Southy
Westy
Stags
Wallsend
Thornton
New Lambton
Cessnock
Kahibah
Singleton

Can see cookers running away with the comp again this year....

Stags to rise under the new coach, GO AWAY- you must be happy your son has returned... must be confident tipping them to finish top 5... you sponsoring also?

GO AWAY
30-10-2018, 04:39 PM
Can see cookers running away with the comp again this year....

Stags to rise under the new coach, GO AWAY- you must be happy your son has returned... must be confident tipping them to finish top 5... you sponsoring also?

More players coming to the mighty stags then just one, good coach, best facilities and good squad coming together.

Will be a better year then last year I hope :)

Preston North End
30-10-2018, 04:49 PM
More players coming to the mighty stags then just one, good coach, best facilities and good squad coming together.

Will be a better year then last year I hope :)

So the good times are coming and your back? coincidence ;)

GO AWAY
30-10-2018, 04:55 PM
So the good times are coming and your back? coincidence ;)

Committee, coaches and players have been working hard, results don't mean there wasn't a lot of hard work behind the scenes.

No, i'm not back officially, just helping the new committee out :)

The Postman
01-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Committee, coaches and players have been working hard, results don't mean there wasn't a lot of hard work behind the scenes.

No, i'm not back officially, just helping the new committee out :)

How was the AGM turn out? Some fresh faces this year?

GO AWAY
07-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Scott carter to stags and ski Webster returns from a break

Preston North End
08-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Scott carter to stags and ski Webster returns from a break

Splashing the cash out at the Stags....?

New sponsors/new committee men dumping cash?

Or all wanting to play for the new coach

GO AWAY
08-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Coach

Goatscheese
13-11-2018, 10:37 PM
So Dennis out at South Cardiff has managed to bring his brother from Broadmeadow back to the team.

Hunter403
14-11-2018, 08:34 AM
So Dennis out at South Cardiff has managed to bring his brother from Broadmeadow back to the team.

Southy should be up there next season. Heard they might be struggling for a keeper

GO AWAY
14-11-2018, 10:39 AM
Southy should be up there next season. Heard they might be struggling for a keeper

Think Blake Redman might be going there ?

MisplacedPasses
14-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Interesting signing considering he conceded 95 goals last season :O

GO AWAY
14-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Interesting signing considering he conceded 95 goals last season :O

Didn't see any games, maybe he saved 1143 :)

Goatscheese
14-11-2018, 07:58 PM
Think Blake Redman might be going there ?

I heard that too but pretty sure I saw on NewySports they signed up some guy from Manly

Supersub
14-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Been any news on who's coaching at Wallsend this year?

ForeverRed
14-11-2018, 08:30 PM
I heard that too but pretty sure I saw on NewySports they signed up some guy from Manly
The manly person is the goalkeeper coach

GO AWAY
30-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Quiet in here, any news around the traps. Good to see Dino at Southy, going to be a real good competition, plenty of NPL players coming in. Stags have had two sessions with every senior player in attendance. Also all four youth teams are filled, compared to two last year, so all going well out around the hills of Awaba. :)
Have heard there is a draft draw out as well ?

Bremsstrahlung
30-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Hasn’t Dino been rumoured to return to Southy for the last few years and ends up not going?

Hunter403
30-11-2018, 05:10 PM
Apparently Thornton looking for a 19s coach

BelSwans will field teams in each age group this year as will Stags

Southy flogging their youth teams already: they'll be tired before the season starts. Apparently Dino is a done deal.

The rest of the clubs are going under the radar a bit at the moment

Goatscheese
30-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Southy flogging their youth teams already: they'll be tired before the season starts. Apparently Dino is a done deal.

What happened to the coach they already had?

Aren't all youth teams already training? Also saw on NewySports that he had signed the player contract so unless he changes his mind and breaks it then it is sorted.

As for the draft draw, yes it is floating around and Northern are allowing teams to change it.

GO AWAY
04-12-2018, 10:31 AM

From what I hear, the Southy youth teams should not be playing NPL youth, the poor kids would not get much out of the results if true.

Hunter403
04-12-2018, 12:27 PM
From all reports they were touched up playing age for age on the weekend, I think due to the heat and shuffling games? Looking at their Facebook they seemed to do quite well when they played the younger sides at Edgeworth. From experience usually NL1 clubs play the younger NPL to make them much more competitive?

That's the usual deal. Interestingly, those results, age for age, were against Charlestown which is certainly not one of the stronger NPL Youth squads.

The gap between NPL Youth and NEWFM youth is to great to play age for age.

Given the preseason there should be no excuses for Southy's youth teams next year.

Dontknowmuch
04-12-2018, 01:54 PM
They're definitely smashing out the games prior to Christmas.. Interesting to see whether their players handle the extra workload, something I don't think a lot of players would have had before..

Someone told me they have had 5 games in like 2 weeks after about a week of training. One week they played Forster in Forster on the Sunday then Edgeworth on the Tuesday and someone else on the Sunday, in November. I like there enthusiasm but that seems ridicolous verging on careless surely some of these kids are playing futsal or cricket as well. That would be not only the kid but the parents commiting 5 to 6 days a week to sport in Novemeber in age groups where the bodies are growing very quickly. Recipe for injuries one would have thought.

Hunter403
04-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Someone told me they have had 5 games in like 2 weeks after about a week of training. One week they played Forster in Forster on the Sunday then Edgeworth on the Tuesday and someone else on the Sunday, in November. I like there enthusiasm but that seems ridicolous verging on careless surely some of these kids are playing futsal or cricket as well. That would be not only the kid but the parents commiting 5 to 6 days a week to sport in Novemeber in age groups where the bodies are growing very quickly. Recipe for injuries one would have thought.

I reckon you are dead right. Growing teenagers are susceptible to overwork as their skeletal growth outstrips their muscles. My son is in Youth NPL and their training load is way less, as is that of all of his mates at other NPL clubs.

Still, I'm sure their teams will start like a scalded cat. The question will be whether or not they improve as the season progresses.

There is also the school of thought that suggests kids should be involved in more than one sport to encourage other areas of development. Too much of one thing is not always good.

early_to_the_match
04-12-2018, 06:08 PM
I reckon you are dead right. Growing teenagers are susceptible to overwork as their skeletal growth outstrips their muscles. My son is in Youth NPL and their training load is way less, as is that of all of his mates at other NPL clubs.

Still, I'm sure their teams will start like a scalded cat. The question will be whether or not they improve as the season progresses.

There is also the school of thought that suggests kids should be involved in more than one sport to encourage other areas of development. Too much of one thing is not always good.
Sorry, but I can't agree with this soft approach. Kids should be able to run around each and everyday, even multiple times a day and come home exhausted before getting a good night's sleep and doing it all again the next day. Sitting on computer games will make them lethargic and stiffen up the muscles far more than outdoor games.
Even if it is structured training or proper matches, the exercise is good for them and is essential if they want to go further in their sport. Sure it isn't for everyone, but it will do more good than harm, and well within virtually all kids capabilities. A different story for those of us over 40/50.

Hunter403
04-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Sorry, but I can't agree with this soft approach. Kids should be able to run around each and everyday, even multiple times a day and come home exhausted before getting a good night's sleep and doing it all again the next day. Sitting on computer games will make them lethargic and stiffen up the muscles far more than outdoor games.
Even if it is structured training or proper matches, the exercise is good for them and is essential if they want to go further in their sport. Sure it isn't for everyone, but it will do more good than harm, and well within virtually all kids capabilities. A different story for those of us over 40/50.

No one said go soft. I said they could be overworked. It is common around 14 and 15. Most coaches are not qualified trainers beyond their c licence in the NPL and NEWFM Youth and have little or no qualifications in training kids physically.

The concept of run them into the ground died out years ago. Exercise is good but too much can do harm.

early_to_the_match
04-12-2018, 08:21 PM
No one said go soft. I said they could be overworked. It is common around 14 and 15. Most coaches are not qualified trainers beyond their c licence in the NPL and NEWFM Youth and have little or no qualifications in training kids physically.

The concept of run them into the ground died out years ago. Exercise is good but too much can do harm.
Coaches only have the kids a few times a week, and most of that is team and ball work. If players aren't doing at least 3 fitness sessions a week outside team training then they are just playing socially and sure couldn't be burnt out.
Kids that get run into the ground at team training probably had very little fitness to begin with. You won't find any elite players in any sport that aren't doing way more than even the hardest training NewFM youth or senior teams.

Hunter403
04-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Coaches only have the kids a few times a week, and most of that is team and ball work. If players aren't doing at least 3 fitness sessions a week outside team training then they are just playing socially and sure couldn't be burnt out.
Kids that get run into the ground at team training probably had very little fitness to begin with. You won't find any elite players in any sport that aren't doing way more than even the hardest training NewFM youth or senior teams.

Well planned and delivered training involves ball/team and fitness . The players just don't know they are doing fitness because it involves a ball.

No one said soft. No one said burnt out. I said overworked. Soft tissue injuries from over use when a body is growing is a reality.

ForeverRed
04-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Go and read the ffa corriculum policy, you’ll be surprised

early_to_the_match
05-12-2018, 07:50 AM
Well planned and delivered training involves ball/team and fitness . The players just don't know they are doing fitness because it involves a ball.

No one said soft. No one said burnt out. I said overworked. Soft tissue injuries from over use when a body is growing is a reality.
I just believe kids are far more durable than we give them credit for, but the overuse of computers, phones and gameboxes has made them soft and lazy. Certainly not all, but a vast majority.

The Dunster
05-12-2018, 10:31 AM
It's a lot more difficult to be a kid today than it was fifty years ago. I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes for all the money in the world.

De-Champ
05-12-2018, 10:37 AM
It's a lot more difficult to be a kid today than it was fifty years ago. I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes for all the money in the world.

Who said walking, they are talking about running

Dontknowmuch
05-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Go and read the ffa corriculum policy, you’ll be surprised

Surprised about what?

The Dunster
05-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Who said walking, they are talking about running

Sarcasm or Aspergers ? Genuine question.

Goatscheese
05-12-2018, 09:28 PM

Someone better tell the Emerging Jets who train 3 days a week plus a game a week year round except for 4 weeks around Christmas

Goatscheese
05-12-2018, 09:29 PM

It's quite clearly a joke

Goatscheese
05-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Most coaches are not qualified trainers beyond their c licence in the NPL and NEWFM Youth and have little or no qualifications in training kids physically.

Is this where you tell us you're a medical professional specialising in child physical development?

Hunter403
05-12-2018, 11:39 PM
Someone better tell the Emerging Jets who train 3 days a week plus a game a week year round except for 4 weeks around Christmas

yep, they do and they are careful not to over train but still get soft tissue problems.

OVER TRAIN is the point you are missing

Hunter403
05-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Is this where you tell us you're a medical professional specialising in child physical development?

Nope, this is where I tell you that I have made my own observations and endeavoured to educate myself through reading and enquiry. I have been coaching youth football for some time and have noticed the soft tissue injuries and other ailments like severs, aching joints, and muscle soreness that hits kids around 14 to 16 years old.

So while I am not a medical professional specialising in child physical development, I have spoken with physios, qualified sports trainers, the kids with the injuries and their parents and formed an opinion based on what I have seen, read and been advised by professionals.

As I said, it would be pretty certain that most NPL and NEWFM coaches are not qualified sports trainers beyond the knowledge they picked up on their C licence. If you would like to run a survey of them and prove my contention wrong, then be my guest and I'll happily stand corrected.

Goatscheese
06-12-2018, 12:47 AM
yep, they do and they are careful not to over train but still get soft tissue problems.

OVER TRAIN is the point you are missing

so who is over training?

Texas Ranger
06-12-2018, 05:38 AM
so who is over training?
Certainly not anyone at NewFM, NPL or Emerging Jets level. If any of them were, we might be seeing more go through the program and get pro contracts. Everyone likes to write a thesis that lays blame on something. But while 0.05% of the population can have some long term problems with too much exercise, 99.5% would clearly be better off, and more than capable of doing an hour of exercise everyday. Our bodies were originally designed for manual labour from Sunup to Sundown. We've made ourselves soft and lazy with reliance on cars, tvs and computers, and people will try and justify this by saying they don't want to over train.
Anyway, I'm running late for my 5.30 run and swim. See you in a couple of hours.
Chuck.

De-Champ
06-12-2018, 08:59 AM

see answer by Goatscheese

De-Champ
06-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Nope, this is where I tell you that I have made my own observations and endeavoured to educate myself through reading and enquiry. I have been coaching youth football for some time and have noticed the soft tissue injuries and other ailments like severs, aching joints, and muscle soreness that hits kids around 14 to 16 years old.

So while I am not a medical professional specialising in child physical development, I have spoken with physios, qualified sports trainers, the kids with the injuries and their parents and formed an opinion based on what I have seen, read and been advised by professionals.

As I said, it would be pretty certain that most NPL and NEWFM coaches are not qualified sports trainers beyond the knowledge they picked up on their C licence. If you would like to run a survey of them and prove my contention wrong, then be my guest and I'll happily stand corrected.

Just to lay your mind at rest. A lot of teams these days do not train as you say so early in the season. What they do is they may train for a three week bloc then go back on holidays for a period of time then come back and train for another bloc of three weeks etc. This is so because the off season in Australia is long and so the players, kids who ever, keep up some sort of fitness in the off season.
What I am saying in a long winded way is that it is not full on training day in day out.

mother theresa
06-12-2018, 05:32 PM
They're definitely smashing out the games prior to Christmas.. Interesting to see whether their players handle the extra workload, something I don't think a lot of players would have had before..

funny that
you are organising all these games football_macigian23 for southy

hamburgler
06-12-2018, 06:40 PM
funny that
you are organising all these games football_macigian23 for southy

Spot on Mother Theresa

Negative Police
06-12-2018, 09:08 PM

Yeah this is the stuff. Want to get somewhere faster? Do this.

The biggest problem to avoid for mine is impact injury usually during games.

Hunter403
14-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Draw is out

GO AWAY
17-12-2018, 08:33 AM
West Wallsend U23/First 5 defeated CCB U20 2
West Wallsend U19 2 drew CCB U18 2