7. Westlake
8. Stockton
9. Morriset
10. Hamilton Azzurri

pv4
09-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Going to make some bold predictions:

10. Hamilton Azzurri

You claim bold, but leave Azzuri at 10th! Bold-lite more like it! I dare anyone to tip Azzuri to #survivethedrop

Premy's reaction to how you wrote his clubs name:

https://i.imgur.com/Eiaha.gif

Premy
09-01-2018, 03:25 PM

https://i.imgur.com/Eiaha.gif
Down to the bowl cut and all :roflz:

idontwannaplaywithhowey
09-01-2018, 03:57 PM
1. Maryland-Fletcher
2. Cooks Hill
3. Raymond Terrace
4. Uni
5. Garden Suburb
6. Wallsend
7. Westlake
8. Stockton
9. Morriset
10. Hamilton Azzurri

Have Maryland picked up a bunch of players?

the_butcher
10-01-2018, 09:56 AM
You claim bold, but leave Azzuri at 10th! Bold-lite more like it! I dare anyone to tip Azzuri to #survivethedrop

The Azuri at 10th wasn't the bold part, that is almost a certainty. It would be a down right embarrassment to Newcastle Football if an all age team were to pick up any points in ID1. And the Premy thing must be a personal joke because I have no idea what you're talking about.

pv4
10-01-2018, 03:54 PM
The Azuri at 10th wasn't the bold part, that is almost a certainty. It would be a down right embarrassment to Newcastle Football if an all age team were to pick up any points in ID1. And the Premy thing must be a personal joke because I have no idea what you're talking about.

3 years ago if anyone told me Azzuri were facing an against-all-odds mission to #survivethedrop in the upper echelons of Newcastle Football Zone League 1, and that Azzuri wouldn't qualify for the World Cup, I would have laughed in their faces. But now they're up on the moon, laughing at me.

Everyone at Garden Suburb() thanks you for your service.

Cunning stunts
10-01-2018, 04:23 PM
surely a joke saying Hamiton Azzurri will struggle in this comp?

the_butcher
11-01-2018, 01:49 PM
surely a joke saying Hamiton Azzurri will struggle in this comp?

100% serious. How could such a newly established club (from a seniors perspective, anyway) come from All Age to ID3 and then compete in ID1? It would almost be unheard of. Considering every other club in the comp has had years building their squads and azuri will have had all of a few months (considering they will now need a third grade), it would take a miracle for them to be competitive. Building a club takes years, look at Raymond Terrace for example. Surely azuri couldn't achieve in two years what it has taken Terrace to do in 15 and westlake to do in about 20 years? And especially considering I have heard they are basically self funded and only use players within their own squad to coach, manage, run the admin side of things etc etc. There are no old, experienced heads on their committee, apparently they are just run by a group of mates. Ive heard they dont pay players so surely they can't attract any decent players. The only thing they seem to do well is run a facebook page and dish out banter.

Beppe
11-01-2018, 01:55 PM
100% serious. How could such a newly established club (from a seniors perspective, anyway) come from All Age to ID3 and then compete in ID1? It would almost be unheard of. Considering every other club in the comp has had years building their squads and azuri will have had all of a few months (considering they will now need a third grade), it would take a miracle for them to be competitive. Building a club takes years, look at Raymond Terrace for example. Surely azuri couldn't achieve in two years what it has taken Terrace to do in 15 and westlake to do in about 20 years? And especially considering I have heard they are basically self funded and only use players within their own squad to coach, manage, run the admin side of things etc etc. There are no old, experienced heads on their committee, apparently they are just run by a group of mates. Ive heard they dont pay players so surely they can't attract any decent players. The only thing they seem to do well is run a facebook page and dish out banter.

well done to them for not paying players, more clubs should do it. why anyone gets paid below 2hd is beyond me.

they will finish in the top 6. have a good network of connections, will be competitive.

Bon
11-01-2018, 01:55 PM

Cause its a bunch of mates (a lot of who are ex NBN/NewFM) who just wanna have fun, get flogged and get their banter on?
That sort of thing can go a long way.. Especially with that dreamy Kane there.. Not to mention pv4's support.. :gent:

pv4
11-01-2018, 02:34 PM
You guys seem to conveniently forget that there are more teams in this competition then there are streets in the hallowed suburb of Hamilton North.

If somehow Azzuri manage to #survivethedrop there will be an open-Tarago parade without doubt.

MonkeyKplunk
11-01-2018, 02:49 PM

If I was from one of the "older clubs" I'd be more concerned about if they do survive the drop than how they've risen to ID1.
If a club who is self funded, self coached, self run and only created because an All Age team wanted to achieve something more than banging about for bragging rights can finish higher on the table than some others in this division then a lot of clubs (especially those who pay overs for ridiculous players) need to have a long hard look at how they're running their teams/clubs.

the_butcher
11-01-2018, 04:32 PM
I think thing I hate the most about them is that they have heaps of euros that play for them that talk with an accent and cant speak english good.

Premy
11-01-2018, 10:40 PM
What clubs in this comp aren't self funded, self coached and self run?
Genuine question.

Cunning stunts
12-01-2018, 08:14 AM
from seeing them last year and the squad in ZPL3 specially first grade if they keep the core of there group and by all talk they attract quality players easily without needing money because of there mateship they will surprise a fair few i think.

Macca
12-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Genuine question.

And in addition what ZL1 clubs are paying players, let alone overs :lol:

Hopefully the comp is as good as it was last year, most games were tough to call and could have gone either way.

the_butcher
12-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Genuine question.

By "self coached" I meant that Azzurri has never looked, nor needed to look, outside the playing group for coaches. If you need to know which clubs aren't "self coached" then please refer yourself to the "club notices" thread where you will find zillions of clubs asking for coaches...some of those clubs are in this comp.

Plenty of clubs aren't "self run" in the sense that they are dictated by their club's committee...look at what happened to Argenton lolol

Agree Macca, I don't even think most NPL players should be paid but that is a conversation for another time.

PC14
12-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Beresfield FC was the same mould. Started by mates and recruitment, almost solely, done by bringing in friends of friends. Promoted from Zpl3 to Zpl2 and then onto Zpl1 in consecutive years. Stockton followed the same path to Zpl1 at the same time. Both, for the most part, competitive in the top grade.

Granted Azzuri are skipping Zpl2, I don't see why they won't be competitive on your logic. If the players are good enough, what does it matter how they got to where they are?

pv4
12-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Just for clarification, what does "self funded" mean? Does this mean there are no sponsors, and all costs associated with the club are paid for out of the direct pockets of the squad & self-manned committee and have no business ties? Because if that's the case, would that mean rego for each player is astronomically high? Obviously whatever it is, it's working because the boys are happy to self-fund the club. I'm just asking this because I know there is a huge push for all clubs in Newcastle to lower their rego fees, and no clubs seem to easily be able to achieve this without business sponsors chipping in.

Genuine question - what relationship does Azzuri have with the juniors? Are the two split up into Senior & Junior clubs or is it one club? Are funds shared between the two? Is it a healthy relationship or an us vs them? When it comes to maintenance of the field and facilities, lodging requests and applications for the club, grants, all that stuff is it a combined effort on all of these things or do the two handle things seperately?

I have to agree with MonkeyK above - all clubs need to have a long hard look at themselves and compare the meteoric rise that Azzuri have been able to achieve in such a small timeframe, and compare it to what they have achieved in a lot longer time. The fact that Azzuri were able to completely bypass the entire Zone League 2 competition basically deems all ZL2 teams as defunct. Hopefully some of those clubs have a graveyard near by, so they can die with minimum amount of fuss.

the_butcher
12-01-2018, 10:49 AM
would that mean rego for each player is astronomically high?

what relationship does Azzuri have with the juniors? Are the two split up into Senior & Junior clubs or is it one club? Are funds shared between the two? Is it a healthy relationship or an us vs them? When it comes to maintenance of the field and facilities, lodging requests and applications for the club, grants, all that stuff is it a combined effort on all of these things or do the two handle things seperately?

I have to agree with MonkeyK above - all clubs need to have a long hard look at themselves and compare the meteoric rise that Azzuri have been able to achieve in such a small timeframe, and compare it to what they have achieved in a lot longer time. The fact that Azzuri were able to completely bypass the entire Zone League 2 competition basically deems all ZL2 teams as defunct. Hopefully some of those clubs have a graveyard near by, so they can die with minimum amount of fuss.

I believe Azzurri rego would be the cheapest out of all zone league clubs... I know that it is at least $100 cheaper than Suburbs, for example.

Azzurri is very unique in the sense that the "juniors" are essentially 10 or so All Age teams and then only few teams in the U/6 -U/16 range. Our relationship with the juniors, in our unique situation, is awesome. The All Age boys all take a keen interest in our Zone League teams and will often come and support etc and vice versa. We are one club but work independently of one another..it's hard to explain, you have to be in it to see how it works.

hawk
12-01-2018, 12:33 PM
The fact that Azzuri were able to completely bypass the entire Zone League 2 competition basically deems all ZL2 teams as defunct. Hopefully some of those clubs have a graveyard near by, so they can die with minimum amount of fuss.

Its not so much that Z2 is defunct but the sheer speed and quaility of Azzurri recruitment caused the jump.

ZL2 is technically the Premier of the 2 grade leagues :wink:

Premy
12-01-2018, 01:07 PM
I believe Azzurri rego would be the cheapest out of all zone league clubs... I know that it is at least $100 cheaper than Suburbs, for example.

Azzurri is very unique in the sense that the "juniors" are essentially 10 or so All Age teams and then only few teams in the U/6 -U/16 range. Our relationship with the juniors, in our unique situation, is awesome. The All Age boys all take a keen interest in our Zone League teams and will often come and support etc and vice versa. We are one club but work independently of one another..it's hard to explain, you have to be in it to see how it works.
We at Garden Suburb try to make rego as cheap as possible. We have built a safety net in our rego so we don't have to rely on Sponsorships to cover the competition cost. The new council levy and increase in ref fees this year has also factored into an increase in rego.
I take my hat off to you guys at Azzurris if you are able to keep the same 2017 rego cost per player considering that your club will be looking at roughly a $2000 increase on fees for 2018 before a ball is even kicked.

pv4
12-01-2018, 01:30 PM

That's genuinely fantastic. How do you guys manage to keep prices so low, being self funded? Are you able to answer any of the questions about the funding you had cut out of my quote or would it be better to speak to the social media manager or someone else? If you're self funded without any sponsorship backing, how do you keep costs for the players down?

la bazzle
12-01-2018, 02:07 PM
That's genuinely fantastic. How do you guys manage to keep prices so low, being self funded? Are you able to answer any of the questions about the funding you had cut out of my quote or would it be better to speak to the social media manager or someone else? If you're self funded without any sponsorship backing, how do you keep costs for the players down?

Crypto-funded

the_butcher
12-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Crypto-funded

Greatest investment of all time. So glad we did it.

hawk
12-01-2018, 05:14 PM
The new council levy.

Whats does this amount to? does every council ground cost the same?

sammydog
12-01-2018, 11:13 PM

Garden Suburb as a club don’t add much of a club fee on top of the various association, council and ref fees to our rego. We could not cut $100 off the rego with out the club taking a hit by substantially subsidising individual player registrations in the Zone League.

Without the club fee added in, running a club, providing equipment and upgrading facilities isn’t possible.

I don’t know the difference in fees between LMCC and NCC but there is no way we could reduce our fees by $100 with out either substantial intervention by means of sponsorship directed at regos or the club having a change of policy and paying part of player regos.

sammydog
12-01-2018, 11:16 PM
Whats does this amount to? does every council ground cost the same?

NCC and LMCC do it different I think. In Lake Mac every player has two council components added to registration, one being use of grounds for matches, the other training.

In Lake Mac there is three tiers with different costs. The majority of grounds, and all in ZL1, would fall in their 2.

The Council components per player for our grounds are;
- $36 playing fee
- $23 training fee

Premy
13-01-2018, 07:17 AM

Crypto-funded

Greatest investment of all time. So glad we did it.
I guess that's "I have no idea whats involved in running our club and the cost involved so I'm talking out of my arse" to PV4 question. You're more than happy to call out one club saying that you are atleast $100 cheaper than them but can't answer any questions directed to you about it?

What happens to Azzurris when the "self funded" drys up?
What happens to Azzurris when the "bunch of mates" move on?

I've seen all to often with Grade Football in Newcastle clubs pop up quickly then die just as quickly, look no further than Beresfield this year.
I wish you guys all the best and I hope it all works out but us at Garden Suburb measure our success in longevity and sustainability if that cost us an extra $50 on our rego then so be it because not only are we a "bunch of mates" but most importantly we're also a CLUB.

hawk
13-01-2018, 12:36 PM
NCC and LMCC do it different I think. In Lake Mac every player has two council components added to registration, one being use of grounds for matches, the other training.

In Lake Mac there is three tiers with different costs. The majority of grounds, and all in ZL1, would fall in their 2.

The Council components per player for our grounds are;
- $36 playing fee
- $23 training fee

Geez that adds up quickly. Are these fees part of your player rego?

sammydog
13-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Geez that adds up quickly. Are these fees part of your player rego?

Everyone at the club has that as a part of their registration, its a per player fee. Juniors have a slightly lower Council fee, but that is a Lake Mac thing, I dont know how NCC do it. Essentially its no different to the FFA, NNSW, Macquarie components of the rego, and yes it adds up.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
13-01-2018, 05:06 PM
I guess that's "I have no idea whats involved in running our club and the cost involved so I'm talking out of my arse" to PV4 question. You're more than happy to call out one club saying that you are atleast $100 cheaper than them but can't answer any questions directed to you about it?

What happens to Azzurris when the "self funded" drys up?
What happens to Azzurris when the "bunch of mates" move on?

I've seen all to often with Grade Football in Newcastle clubs pop up quickly then die just as quickly, look no further than Beresfield this year.
I wish you guys all the best and I hope it all works out but us at Garden Suburb measure our success in longevity and sustainability if that cost us an extra $50 on our rego then so be it because not only are we a "bunch of mates" but most importantly we're also a CLUB.

I too was interested in the 'self funded' model that keeps low rego fees. I now assume it means some of the blokes that play there own decent businesses and chip in decent dollars in sponsorship.

I was also interested in some of the statements about clubs with longevity at this level being 'embarrassed' if Azzurri don't get relegated. I would think those clubs that have been around forever at this level, offer junior players an option to play in the area and support women's football should be commended for their and their committee's work, as opposed to be lambasted for not having better players on their books.

As Premy said, there have been many clubs that have popped up and jumped through the leagues before fading into non existence, so some kudos should go to those clubs whose volunteers keep their clubs plugging away year in year out.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
13-01-2018, 05:10 PM
. The fact that Azzuri were able to completely bypass the entire Zone League 2 competition basically deems all ZL2 teams as defunct. Hopefully some of those clubs have a graveyard near by, so they can die with minimum amount of fuss.

I don't know if any of the clubs in ZL2 have control over the decision made by NCC such a promotion. Obviously Azzurri put forward a pretty strong case to jump an entire division and good luck to them.
I know my club discussed the opportunity to apply for promotion but made the call to stay where we are for now and build our squad. Not sure if that makes us defunct or aware of our capacity.

onlooker
13-01-2018, 11:21 PM
I’m at a loss with this whole “self funded” claim. All these sponsors that keep coming on board, are you guys just doing them a charity and advertising them for free? And your claim to not pay players may be true, but I don’t believe the idea of playing with mates is the sole incentive for all players to join. Definitely some other perks being offered.

Cabaye#4
18-01-2018, 02:01 PM
You would be surprised how much of a club’s rego fee actually goes to the club. 95% of the rego is made up of council, ffa, insurance & association fees, and then the club usually puts on levy to cover power (if you have lights) and equipment. I’ve seen some clubs put in a $10 admin fee per player. We relied on sponsors to cover refs fees in previous seasons, but I know some clubs also factor this into their rego.

I polled about 25 Zone clubs a few years ago regarding rego and inclusions, and I found everything ranged between $300-$450 per player, which largely depended on inclusions such as shorts, socks, polos, jackets, warm up tops & even tracksuits.

the_butcher
31-01-2018, 10:33 AM

lol have a cry mate

For the record, we did invest in cryptocurrency and made a killing. But yeah we have absolutely no idea whats involved in running our club, its just a fluke that we have a zillion dollars in the bank, a massive playing squad, a thousand sponsors and a ridiculously good social scene...

And your claim to not pay players may be true, but I don’t believe the idea of playing with mates is the sole incentive for all players to join. Definitely some other perks being offered.

Absolutely no players are paid. There's heaps of perks though, like sick adidas tracksuits and endless good times. But the sole reason players join is because of mates/family. We don't hold any open trials and its strictly invite only.

pv4
31-01-2018, 11:55 AM
a thousand sponsors

Sorry, I think I was caught up in translation a bit. When you said the club was self-funded I read it as you had no sponsors ie the funds came from within. This makes a lot more sense to me now, knowing that the club do have sponsors. Thanks for clarifying.

The tracksuits sound dope.

la bazzle
31-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Sorry, I think I was caught up in translation a bit. When you said the club was self-funded I read it as you had no sponsors ie the funds came from within. This makes a lot more sense to me now, knowing that the club do have sponsors. Thanks for clarifying.

We all make mistakes friend. Saying sorry is the first step on the road to forgiveness

the_butcher
31-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Thats ok mate, no worries.

As you know, we are big on our tracksuits.

Premy
31-01-2018, 06:53 PM
lol have a cry mate

For the record, we did invest in cryptocurrency and made a killing. But yeah we have absolutely no idea whats involved in running our club, its just a fluke that we have a zillion dollars in the bank, a massive playing squad, a thousand sponsors and a ridiculously good social scene...

Absolutely no players are paid. There's heaps of perks though, like sick adidas tracksuits and endless good times. But the sole reason players join is because of mates/family. We don't hold any open trials and its strictly invite only.
I'll Vehemently defend my Club when people single it out to criticize. If that's crying then I'm happy to be salty.

the_butcher
01-02-2018, 09:50 AM
I'll Vehemently defend my Club when people single it out to criticize. If that's crying then I'm happy to be salty.

How was it a critisism? Merely stating that our rego is $100 cheaper.

Far out princess, if you're this much of a snowflake I suggest you stay out of the sun :rof:

Premy
01-02-2018, 11:40 AM
How was it a critisism? Merely stating that our rego is $100 cheaper.

Far out princess, if you're this much of a snowflake I suggest you stay out of the sun :rof:

It's was criticism because the discussion was about rego cost and you stated ours is higher than yours, the implication is there weather you intended it or not.

It's interesting that you have quickly gone from someone who relies on what you have heard about Azzurri to someone who is the know of whats going on at your club.

Charman
01-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Whatever the case, the tracksuits F__kin terrible.

the_butcher
01-02-2018, 03:17 PM
It's was criticism because the discussion was about rego cost and you stated ours is higher than yours

Far out :rof::rof::rof:

Whatever the case, the tracksuits F__kin terrible.

You serious? How are these terrible?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/151991776790

Charman
02-02-2018, 12:29 PM
I guess they are ok............if you live in Sunnyvale.(you do get I'm just taking the piss yeah?)

the_butcher
02-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Who did everyone draw in the cup?

Azzurri have drawn Jesmond. I'm predicting Jesmond to win by double figures.

Sir
02-02-2018, 01:54 PM

Jesmond vs. Hamilton Azzuri
Charlestown Juniors vs. Morriset United
Bolwarra Lorn vs. Maryland Fletcher
Stockton vs. Warners Bay
Swansea vs. Westlakes
Raymond Terrace vs. Newcastle University
Garden Suburb vs. West Wallsend Juniors

Wallsend and Cooks hill not in it?

the_butcher
02-02-2018, 02:01 PM
Wallsend and Cooks hill not in it?

They have NEWFM teams

la bazzle
02-02-2018, 03:04 PM
A few whitewashes predicted in there

pv4
02-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Sky is blue m8

Tell us something not so obvious

Pierre Essers
02-02-2018, 11:30 PM
After the track suit recruitment drive you are not even backing yourself to beat the West Waratah Rams? Low.

Pierre Essers
02-02-2018, 11:32 PM
Will you be paying ball boys again to fetch balls a la semi finals last year?

la bazzle
03-02-2018, 12:07 PM

With all the excess cash getting thrown about we might pick a few spare notes off the floor and pay the child’s school and future uni fees.

Ps what a master stroke that was

Wilso8948
05-02-2018, 08:10 AM
With all the excess cash getting thrown about we might pick a few spare notes off the floor and pay the child’s school and future uni fees.

Ps what a master stroke that was

Surely no need to go to uni when the kid can take over Dad's concreting business?

the_butcher
05-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Surely no need to go to uni when the kid can take over Dad's concreting business?

:rof::rof:

That was genius. Literally scored in the last seconds of the match. If it wasn't for the ball boy those seconds would have been chewed up chasing the ball all over Hamilton. By the way, is it weird to pay ball boys? You seem surprised that someone would come up with such a groundbreaking idea as to pay ball boys.

Roundball Enthusiast
05-02-2018, 09:56 AM
By the way, is it weird to pay ball boys? You seem surprised that someone would come up with such a groundbreaking idea as to pay ball boys.

Things ball boys normally get:

Meat pie and a can of coke.
Kicked
Pushed over

Things ball boys don't usually get:

Cash.

Greens
05-02-2018, 09:58 AM
We always pay our ball kids. Good way for them to make some pocket money and it really makes a big difference to the flow of the game. $10 a day doesn't exactly break the bank.

Bon
05-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Things ball boys normally get:

Meat pie and a can of coke.
Kicked
Pushed over

Things ball boys don't usually get:

Cash.

There isn't enough money in the world to pay the ball boys for the amount of time it would take them to find that ball that Wilso hoofed into the bush at Lance Yorke..
Premy still has nightmares.. :gent:

the great white
05-02-2018, 11:24 AM
We always pay our ball kids. Good way for them to make some pocket money and it really makes a big difference to the flow of the game. $10 a day doesn't exactly break the bank.

Yep we pay ours as well. They play a huge part in matches and really at this level it should be compulsory.

the great white
05-02-2018, 11:27 AM
By the way, is it weird to pay ball boys? You seem surprised that someone would come up with such a groundbreaking idea as to pay ball boys.

Welcome to zone league football. Some clubs aren't the sharpest tools in the sheds as you can see. Glad you guys made the jump, good luck this year.

Roundball Enthusiast
05-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Look at all these fresh accounts, coming in to start banter.

Aren't they just the cutest.

la bazzle
05-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Greens is my fav, backing him to get underneath the skin of a few this season

pv4
05-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Surely most clubs have the odd 0.00098577 bitcoin to give to the ballboys for helping out on game day. I really don't see the issue here.

Roundball Enthusiast
05-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Surely most clubs have the odd 0.00098577 bitcoin to give to the ballboys for helping out on game day. I really don't see the issue here.

You mean 0.00098576, just changed again.

Wilso8948
05-02-2018, 02:29 PM
There isn't enough money in the world to pay the ball boys for the amount of time it would take them to find that ball that Wilso hoofed into the bush at Lance Yorke..
Premy still has nightmares.. :gent:

He'd still be there Bon!!

the great white
06-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Look at all these fresh accounts, coming in to start banter.

Aren't they just the cutest.

Only fresh because I got banned haha

the great white
06-02-2018, 04:43 PM
1. Maryland-Fletcher
2. Cooks Hill
3. Raymond Terrace
4. Uni
5. Garden Suburb
6. Wallsend
7. Westlake
8. Stockton
9. Morriset
10. Hamilton Azzurri

Think you'll find Stockton will be a bit higher than that. Westlakes will stink again, heard they lost a couple of decent players.

Greens
06-02-2018, 04:49 PM
5. Garden Suburb

Not so sure about that. They might lose a few players when they find out the club is charging them extortionately high rego fees :rof:

the_butcher
06-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Not so sure about that. They might lose a few players when they find out the club is charging them extortionately high rego fees :rof:

:rof::rof::rof: don't start!

the great white
06-02-2018, 05:04 PM
Anyone have any trial game results? We've got a few coming up. I heard hamilton azzuri belted merewether on the weekend, tough start for merewethers new coach

Robbery
07-02-2018, 07:33 AM
Anyone have any trial game results? We've got a few coming up. I heard hamilton azzuri belted merewether on the weekend, tough start for merewethers new coach

They did give us a bit of a touch up but they have some very very good players, some who have recently played at a much higher level and wouldn't shock me if they give this comp a good crack. Luckily results only matter once the season proper kicks off......

riverboy
08-02-2018, 06:55 AM

What was the score?

Greens
08-02-2018, 10:26 AM
They did give us a bit of a touch up but they have some very very good players, some who have recently played at a much higher level and wouldn't shock me if they give this comp a good crack. Luckily results only matter once the season proper kicks off......

Suppose it justifies Azzurris jump up to ID1. No point in winning by cricket scores every week. ID2 is a pretty poor comp so its good that the association was proactive in promoting them up 2 divs especially with some of the players they are attracting. I still dont think they will go anywhere near winning it this year but hopefully they will at least be competitive. The more competitive teams we have the better football in newcastle will be.

Robbery
08-02-2018, 05:29 PM
What was the score?

5 or maybe 6 nil I think.......

The Spy
08-02-2018, 10:25 PM
Suppose it justifies Azzurris jump up to ID1. No point in winning by cricket scores every week. ID2 is a pretty poor comp so its good that the association was proactive in promoting them up 2 divs especially with some of the players they are attracting. I still dont think they will go anywhere near winning it this year but hopefully they will at least be competitive. The more competitive teams we have the better football in newcastle will be.

#survivethedrop #forzaazzurri

Dobbo
12-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Wallsend had a trial against Bero ZPL at Bero yesterday, was a hot day and mostly good football except for the first half of ressies where the ref lost control of the game.

First 4 or 5 - 0 - Bero
Ressies 3 - 2 - Bero, Wallsend up 0-2 HT
Thirds 2 - 11 or 12 - Wallsend.

Thanks to the Bero boys for hosting.

Roundball Enthusiast
12-02-2018, 09:00 AM
Warnersbay ZPL v Garden Suburb

First

1-2

Reserves

2-1

Thirds

0-1

Greens
12-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Thirds 2 - 11 or 12 - Wallsend.

Bloody hell what happened here?!

Greens
15-02-2018, 01:38 PM
I saw on azzuri facebook page they are talking with jye mackellar and jessy besford, think they are cousins. They would be a great pickup, Jye was playing first grade npl recently and probably still should be.

the great white
15-02-2018, 01:41 PM
I saw on azzuri facebook page they are talking with jye mackellar and jessy besford, think they are cousins. They would be a great pickup, Jye was playing first grade npl recently and probably still should be.

last i heard they were playing for thornton redbacks???

la bazzle
15-02-2018, 02:18 PM
last i heard they were playing for thornton redbacks???

I think they're just massive fans. Everyone loves a battler, the down trodden etc etc

the_butcher
15-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Probably just offseason nonsense knowing those crazy azzurri guys!

Greens
15-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Probably just offseason nonsense knowing those crazy azzurri guys!

I've got good word to say theres more to it then just offseason nonsense

ICEBERG10
15-02-2018, 08:36 PM
3 years ago if anyone told me Azzuri were facing an against-all-odds mission to #survivethedrop in the upper echelons of Newcastle Football Zone League 1, and that Azzuri wouldn't qualify for the World Cup, I would have laughed in their faces. But now they're up on the moon, laughing at me.

Everyone at Garden Suburb() thanks you for your service.

You commend him on his spelling of Garden Suburb but don’t pull him up on the spelling of the club you play for........ bench material.

DonPablo
18-02-2018, 11:16 PM
Long time no quip. Where all the banter boys at? Heard Azzurri lost to Cardiff a while ago, did I miss the match summary?

Jardelsimage
19-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Long time no quip. Where all the banter boys at? Heard Azzurri lost to Cardiff a while ago, did I miss the match summary?

i think it was 4-2 Cardiff

la bazzle
19-02-2018, 02:16 PM
i think it was 4-2 Cardiff

3-2. Was thinking of doing a massive write up with lots of details (like we do for all trials obviously). But we lost so no one wants to hear about that. This game probably shows more evidence that the sky blues will be the whipping boys this year. #survivethedrop

Greens
19-02-2018, 02:39 PM
I thought it was 2-2? Only saw the last half hour but cardiff barely touched the ball. Azzurri looked like they were playing mostly reserve graders, maybe due to the heat. Didn't recognise any of their backline and i know most of their firsts players.

Greens
19-02-2018, 02:40 PM

check out their facebook page mate, they usually post some hilarious stuff on there, usually match reports and stuff

Roundball Enthusiast
19-02-2018, 02:53 PM
check out their facebook page mate, they usually post some hilarious stuff on there, usually match reports and stuff

Last post is about two under aged boys (looks like they're being used for slave labor) being lured to the club with the promise of "extras" in their contracts from an adult sex shop.

Nothing about the loss to the future Wooden spoon Zone Premier League team Cardiff.

Greens
19-02-2018, 03:42 PM
Last post is about two under aged boys (looks like they're being used for slave labor) being lured to the club with the promise of "extras" in their contracts from an adult sex shop.

Nothing about the loss to the future Wooden spoon Zone Premier League team Cardiff.

Looks like their posts are working as they have you reading them! Could be wrong but haven't seen a match report from any of their trial matches, sounds like you'd know more than I would though.

boz-monaut
19-02-2018, 03:43 PM
this raises the level of banter in this thread immensely - kudos round ball

the_butcher
19-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Hahahaha what a club! Sponsored by a sex shop 😂😂😂

the great white
19-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Haha onya boys! Is that Gabe Diaz shop? He is a mad man haha

Greens
19-02-2018, 04:15 PM
As in ex bel-swans Diaz? Him and his brother are nutters haha legends though. I wish argy were sponsored by a sex shop, I might actually make the Mrs happy for once haha

the_butcher
19-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Just come to one of our raffles Benny. We give out “pleasure packs” as prizes

Greens
19-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Hahaha I heard about that! Brilliant stuff

la bazzle
19-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Sponsored by a sex shop :rof::rof: Gee whizz that'll do me I think

NumeroCuatro
21-02-2018, 06:04 PM
As in ex bel-swans Diaz? Him and his brother are nutters haha legends though. I wish argy were sponsored by a sex shop, I might actually make the Mrs happy for once haha

Haha I am an absolute nutter! My thoughts are if you or anyone has absolute passion about something, it'd send any man crazy in that moment.. Also, I would never dare don a Bel-Swans jersey - yuk. South Cardiff, Magic and cameos at Belmont-Tingira for me. Now, a true lover of the one and only Sky Blue - Hamilton Azzurri :rof:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Spain)

Greens
22-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Haha I am an absolute nutter! My thoughts are if you or anyone has absolute passion about something, it'd send any man crazy in that moment.. Also, I would never dare don a Bel-Swans jersey - yuk. South Cardiff, Magic and cameos at Belmont-Tingira for me. Now, a true lover of the one and only Sky Blue - Hamilton Azzurri :rof:

My apologies, shouldn't ever get those clubs mixed up, I know you guys take that stuff pretty seriously :rof:

Azzurri have done well getting you! Is your brother playing as well?

the great white
22-02-2018, 04:07 PM

Looking forward to seeing you get sent off a few times this season :rof::rof: you must surely hold a record haha

NumeroCuatro
25-02-2018, 06:10 PM
Looking forward to seeing you get sent off a few times this season :rof::rof: you must surely hold a record haha

Haha the tally of red cards reflects the amount of dickheads I play against.. Sooo, by the looks of it this year is going to a cracker of season with many red cards for me. You can tell by the sheer amount of wankers on this forum. I'm excited :rof: #survivethedrop #happytobeID1mosthatedbloke

Wilso8948
25-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Haha the tally of red cards reflects the amount of dickheads I play against.. Sooo, by the looks of it this year is going to a cracker of season with many red cards for me. You can tell by the sheer amount of wankers on this forum. I'm excited :rof: #survivethedrop #happytobeID1mosthatedbloke
To be fair I think this thread has just turned one Azzuri bloke with a bunch of multi profiles talking to himself. But it gives me something to read while I'm getting paid to shit at work so don't mind me lads/lad.

pv4
26-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Someone get Ken Bosman on here

Roundball Enthusiast
26-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Blokes played a total of Zero games in ZL1 and thinks he can come and take the prestigious title of Most Hated player.

He's got a lot of learning to do I reckon.

Wilso8948
26-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Blokes played a total of Zero games in ZL1 and thinks he can come and take the prestigious title of Most Hated player.

He's got a lot of learning to do I reckon.

I'm most certainly Premy's. He's hating me this weekend. Out there in the rain, still searching for that ball of his in the bush at Lance York.

Premy
26-02-2018, 11:39 AM
I'm most certainly Premy's. He's hating me this weekend. Out there in the rain, still searching for that ball of his in the bush at Lance York.

:lulzturtle: Could you bring me a brolly and a warm cup of soup?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

riverboy
26-02-2018, 11:44 AM

The guys a grub and total loser. If Azzurri want to gain some credibility they should kick him back to the gutter where he belongs.

la bazzle
26-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Someone get Ken Bosman on here

Karen already thinks he does too much social media-ing as it is

NumeroCuatro
26-02-2018, 05:46 PM
The guys a grub and total loser. If Azzurri want to gain some credibility they should kick him back to the gutter where he belongs.

Hey Riverboy, it's honestly not my fault that you're fat, ugly, have red hair and shit at football. I was just the messenger reminding you of those things :rof:

riverboy
26-02-2018, 10:37 PM
Hey Riverboy, it's honestly not my fault that you're fat, ugly, have red hair and shit at football. I was just the messenger reminding you of those things :rof:

Your all class just like your football. I am shit at football but that's all you got correct about me champ.

Frodo
27-02-2018, 07:19 AM

There's nothing wrong with being fat, ugly and shit at football....

MonkeyKplunk
27-02-2018, 09:09 AM

I'm pretty sure that describes at least 85% of us

Bon
27-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Now that Giroud has gone, you've just about described the team you support....... :gent:

Wilso8948
27-02-2018, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure that describes at least 85% of us

Not me I'm beautiful af.

Roundball Enthusiast
27-02-2018, 11:59 AM
af.

Close the door and don't come back.

Premy
27-02-2018, 12:48 PM

So what's wrong with Rangas?

Frodo
27-02-2018, 01:02 PM
So what's wrong with Rangas?

:brrr:

MonkeyKplunk
27-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Now that Giroud has gone, you've just about described the team you support....... :gent:

Don't you talk that way about ... dang it

Greens
02-03-2018, 08:59 AM
what was final scores between kahibah new fm vs azzurri? saw most of reserve grade with azzurri playing a mix of their thirds and rezzies. I bet Moncreif that the blues would get up and i havent heard from him yet so thinking an upset might have occured?

Roundball Enthusiast
03-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Word on the street is, Morisset are staying in ZL1. Which means no bye for ZL1, which is nice! Not sure how competitive they will be, but at least we don't have a week off!

ICEBERG10
04-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Word on the street is, Morisset are staying in ZL1. Which means no bye for ZL1, which is nice! Not sure how competitive they will be, but at least we don't have a week off!

Where did this word come from?

We played them yesterday and you couldn’t escape the word that Morisset can’t field a 3rd grade team......

I hope they stay they are a an integral part of the west side of the lake.

oneeye
04-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Heard there will be a Bye in 3rds ?

Where did this word come from?

We played them yesterday and you couldn’t escape the word that Morisset can’t field a 3rd grade team......

I hope they stay they are a an integral part of the west side of the lake.

beaten favourite
05-03-2018, 08:17 AM

Surely you jest???? What's the point of having criteria for Zone League...... Plenty of teams in ZL2 could field more competitive sides than Morisset. Surely the onus has to be on the Association after last season to have a quick look at the final standings and before relegating Charlie (who were competitive in lower grades) look at Morisset with both lower teams basically on 0 points and -50 goal difference and make a quick phone call and ask the question 'how are you blokes travelling for numbers?'.

Now a month out from the season Charlie has jettisoned a team (to comply with said criteria) and Morisset can't field 3 teams. It's a DISGRACE

PS I have no affiliation with Charlie and would much prefer a couple of weekends off then head down the F3 to play 1 competitive match.....

Bon
05-03-2018, 08:25 AM

Yeah, I've heard this too..

Fridge
05-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I've heard this too..

This was just confirmed in an email from ZL boss.

Charman
05-03-2018, 12:16 PM
so competition rules only apply when they suit? ZL1 requires each club to have 3 teams.

MonkeyKplunk
05-03-2018, 01:19 PM
so competition rules only apply when they suit? ZL1 requires each club to have 3 teams.

Correct.

3 out of the 4 divisions are becoming a joke now.

Have just read in another thread that Mayfield have pulled out of ZL3, making it a 6 team comp, and looking like Medowie are about to fold out of there too.

There's some kind of drastic changes that need to be made somewhere

Charman
05-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Correct.

3 out of the 4 divisions are becoming a joke now.

Have just read in another thread that Mayfield have pulled out of ZL3, making it a 6 team comp, and looking like Medowie are about to fold out of there too.

There's some kind of drastic changes that need to be made somewhere

Yes, BUT we were told that the experts run it so leave it to them as they know best! Stop flaunting ideas around on how to improve things on social media web sites.

NumeroCuatro
05-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Yes, BUT we were told that the experts run it so leave it to them as they know best! Stop flaunting ideas around on how to improve things on social media web sites.

What a shambles NNSWF are. This is a joke and makes a mockery of the whole league system. No matter what happens this year, Morisset has to be relegated if they cannot field all three grades. Totally not fair on the team coming last (most likely Hamilton Azzurri) who has spent a lot of time, money and resources to field 3 full grades and run them for the whole year and end up being relegated. While, Morisset cruised throughout the whole season managing two grades and completely broke the rules of ZL1 but gets to stay up. It's gotta be fair here on the successful run clubs.

Also, having a 5 or 6 team competition in ZL3 is a joke. That's worse than Friday Night All Age F who had 8 teams last year and Saturday All Age O who had 8 teams as well. NNSWF needs to help ZL clubs more and incentivise them more to keep teams out of All Age and in ZL.

Honestly, I think there should be a restriction on how many All Age teams a club can provide. Maybe 2 max? Last year for All Age Saturday clubs they had this many teams; Hamilton Azzurri - 6, Cooks Hill - 5, Shortland - 4, Valentine - 4, Lake Macquarie - 4, South Cardiff - 4, Belmont - 3. Clubs like; Shortland, Valentine, Lake Macquarie, South Cardiff and Belmont has to be pushed to have their best All Age and mediocre All Age team in ZL3. Maybe make it cheaper than playing in the All Age competition for the first year. I dont know? Although, something has to be done or the competitiveness of ZL or the competition itself will crumble in a few years.

Jardelsimage
05-03-2018, 07:11 PM
What a shambles NNSWF are. This is a joke and makes a mockery of the whole league system. No matter what happens this year, Morisset has to be relegated if they cannot field all three grades. Totally not fair on the team coming last (most likely Hamilton Azzurri) who has spent a lot of time, money and resources to field 3 full grades and run them for the whole year and end up being relegated. While, Morisset cruised throughout the whole season managing two grades and completely broke the rules of ZL1 but gets to stay up. It's gotta be fair here on the successful run clubs.

Also, having a 5 or 6 team competition in ZL3 is a joke. That's worse than Friday Night All Age F who had 8 teams last year and Saturday All Age O who had 8 teams as well. NNSWF needs to help ZL clubs more and incentivise them more to keep teams out of All Age and in ZL.

Honestly, I think there should be a restriction on how many All Age teams a club can provide. Maybe 2 max? Last year for All Age Saturday clubs they had this many teams; Hamilton Azzurri - 6, Cooks Hill - 5, Shortland - 4, Valentine - 4, Lake Macquarie - 4, South Cardiff - 4, Belmont - 3. Clubs like; Shortland, Valentine, Lake Macquarie, South Cardiff and Belmont has to be pushed to have their best All Age and mediocre All Age team in ZL3. Maybe make it cheaper than playing in the All Age competition for the first year. I dont know? Although, something has to be done or the competitiveness of ZL or the competition itself will crumble in a few years.

Sorry but NNSWF do not run our comps, Russel Henry runs the comp out of Newcastle Football, aided by Macquarie and Hunter Valley.
I have for years pushed the barrow on reducing AA and making clubs form Zone teams if they have to many sides.
Hamiltons resurgence is a great example of what can happen, but surely shorty, southy, valo could form sides.
not to sure how to fix the problems, but associations need to limit amount of AA sides and tell clubs once AA to say M grade for example are full, only spots left are zone teams.
or the other way around. you can still treat it like an AA team, don't train, turn up and play, better side plays 1st the other reggies.....simple...
are they still looking for U25 comp or did that get squashed like it should have....

NumeroCuatro
05-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Sorry but NNSWF do not run our comps, Russel Henry runs the comp out of Newcastle Football, aided by Macquarie and Hunter Valley.
I have for years pushed the barrow on reducing AA and making clubs form Zone teams if they have to many sides.
Hamiltons resurgence is a great example of what can happen, but surely shorty, southy, valo could form sides.
not to sure how to fix the problems, but associations need to limit amount of AA sides and tell clubs once AA to say M grade for example are full, only spots left are zone teams.
or the other way around. you can still treat it like an AA team, don't train, turn up and play, better side plays 1st the other reggies.....simple...
are they still looking for U25 comp or did that get squashed like it should have....

Wow, I didn't know this. And to be a one-man show with his firm talons gripped onto the running of the competition explains everything. What a shame, this could be a really great competition with some really good consistent and competitive clubs. It sucks football in Newcastle is held by a few at the detriment of many :sigh:

Jardelsimage
05-03-2018, 08:07 PM
Wow, I didn't know this. And to be a one-man show with his firm talons gripped onto the running of the competition explains everything. What a shame, this could be a really great competition with some really good consistent and competitive clubs. It sucks football in Newcastle is held by a few at the detriment of many :sigh:

Dont get me wrong, The big Russ has done and will continue to do some good things for the zone comps. Its like all organizations, they sometimes don't listen to the little people, most times because the little people don't band together for the greater good and have selfish thoughts that only benefit there clubs. I stopped going a couple of years back, about the time they brought in unlimited subs in grade football, just one of a few implementations I thought have ruined grade football or was it U23's instead of 3rds(this one was brought in as 3-4 clubs were sick of Eagles, Uni and Cardiff dominating 3rds....and wanted little jonny to win something, didn't change much though......

boz-monaut
05-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Honestly, I think there should be a restriction on how many All Age teams a club can provide. Maybe 2 max? Last year for All Age Saturday clubs they had this many teams; Hamilton Azzurri - 6, Cooks Hill - 5, Shortland - 4, Valentine - 4, Lake Macquarie - 4, South Cardiff - 4, Belmont - 3. Clubs like; Shortland, Valentine, Lake Macquarie, South Cardiff and Belmont has to be pushed to have their best All Age and mediocre All Age team in ZL3. Maybe make it cheaper than playing in the All Age competition for the first year. I dont know? Although, something has to be done or the competitiveness of ZL or the competition itself will crumble in a few years.why should clubs like Azzurri or Cooks Hill be limited to fewer All Age teams when they already have zone squads (and New FM)?

in what way would it benefit the game if this would move teams to other (arguably poorer run) clubs away from where people live and want to play?

a lot of people, teams and clubs want to play in a less restrictive competition like All Age, or more suited to their lives like your Friday night competitions, rather than going into zone and requiring additional resources, fences, canteens and other stuff that is in the zone rules - not everyone wants to be in a squad of players

easier fix would be to axe the ZL3 competition, move the better teams to ZL2 and the remainders can go to All Age

anfield
05-03-2018, 10:00 PM
why should clubs like Azzurri or Cooks Hill be limited to fewer All Age teams when they already have zone squads (and New FM)?

in what way would it benefit the game if this would move teams to other (arguably poorer run) clubs away from where people live and want to play?

a lot of people, teams and clubs want to play in a less restrictive competition like All Age, or more suited to their lives like your Friday night competitions, rather than going into zone and requiring additional resources, fences, canteens and other stuff that is in the zone rules - not everyone wants to be in a squad of players

easier fix would be to axe the ZL3 competition, move the better teams to ZL2 and the remainders can go to All Age

ZL3 is the entry level for zone league and must be kept. We need to grow the competition and not reduce it. For the last two years the all age competition has taken alot of players out of the lower end of zone leagues. We need to find out why and fix the problem, move more referees into the zone leagues and making less available for all age competitions may help bring back players/clubs.
Shortland and South Cardiff 4 teams each, really?? Come on someone from those clubs. Start a zone league team. Maybe reducing the entry fees in zl3 might help, not sure?? Maybe the clubs need to work together in the lower grades to help get more players into zone leagues. Instead of pushing guys into all age, maybe they could push them towards smaller clubs that need players? A stronger zone league competition is better for all then helping the all age competition grow.

sammydog
05-03-2018, 10:17 PM
They actually need to make the rules and criteria consistent across all grades. Then there is no issues with depth of squads or moving between grades. It seems crazy to me to have promotion and relegation between grades with different requirements.

Whether that means tweaking third grade, dropping third grade Or just making all levels have a third grade I don’t know. Do you make it more like NL1 and force clubs to have some junior squads for development? Probably wouldn’t work given it seems some NL1 teams are also struggling to fill younger ages.

All Age is All Age. A lot of players have no interest in anything but All Age and it would be a crazy idea to restrict the numbers of All age teams at a club. Nothing wrong with a bunch of mates forming a team and having a kick. The upper All Age convos are actually quiet strong, but I don’t think there is any benefit in forcing them into a ZL set up. If the players wanted that, they would be there already.

Jardelsimage
06-03-2018, 06:26 AM
They actually need to make the rules and criteria consistent across all grades. Then there is no issues with depth of squads or moving between grades. It seems crazy to me to have promotion and relegation between grades with different requirements.

Whether that means tweaking third grade, dropping third grade Or just making all levels have a third grade I don’t know. Do you make it more like NL1 and force clubs to have some junior squads for development? Probably wouldn’t work given it seems some NL1 teams are also struggling to fill younger ages.

All Age is All Age. A lot of players have no interest in anything but All Age and it would be a crazy idea to restrict the numbers of All age teams at a club. Nothing wrong with a bunch of mates forming a team and having a kick. The upper All Age convos are actually quiet strong, but I don’t think there is any benefit in forcing them into a ZL set up. If the players wanted that, they would be there already.

Agree on the criteria problems, definitely a problem that needs to be fixed.

Yes Age is All Age, I think the issues are that there are just to many sides and to many comps across the board, ref issues every week, etc..need to compress it somehow.

A lot of players don't want to organize a grade team, but i bet you if some of the clubs committee's did the organizing they would play,(and yes I know they have a lot on there plate already, over 30 years on such committee's myself) You don't have to change things too much, lower side plays reggies, better side plays 1st's.
Still having a kick, still playing with mates, bonus is you play at the same time each week, the ideas just have to be sold better to the teams, but most of the problems come at committee/club level I believe not wanting to push the barrow and still look at it with a juniors mentality.
Again don't take it the wrong way, I am not saying all committees/clubs are like this also, some basically just don't know there is a zone comp, ones that do don't really understand how it all works and what it would take to make it work.

MonkeyKplunk
06-03-2018, 07:03 AM
The constant comments about having 3rd grade across all Zone grades is complete nonsense IMO

About the only thing I'm 100% on board with in terms of organisation of the competitions is the fact that ZL2 & ZL3 are essentially "starters" to a higher grade of competition, and can be a great stepping stone for smaller clubs to show they can compete with the big name/big money clubs on talent. By the time you work your way to being at the top of ZL2 and pushing for promotion you should have had the opportunity to grow and promote the league within your club and Junior grades so you can gain the numbers to field a 3rd grade team in ZL1. This is how the entire ZL competitions are supposed to be structured and how they are meant to be about growing clubs and Junior ranks to provide more opportunities for juniors to compete at a higher level.
The point where we've lost our way as an entire ZL competition over the past 5 or so years is this "we want to field a 3rd grade side so we'll poach players from other clubs and offer them whatever to come across" bullshite.
It ruins some clubs sides, and really highlights those clubs who aren't running their ZL sides from the committee but letting others take over the organisation.

The combined zone committee (yes it's run by a committee of all 3 zones, not Russell himself), needs to start providing more tools and resources to sides within the lower ZL to help them put the right conditions and pathways in place to grow their clubs from youth up, so that these clubs have the strength and numbers to be able to compete in the higher portion of the competitions, and further up if they ever decide to. As our Associations, this is meant to be their job, but sometimes it seems like there is still too much focus on the "power" clubs and pathways within each area.

boz-monaut
06-03-2018, 08:03 AM
but what advantages are there to having the ZL3 structure for teams who are happy with All Age?

all that extra time and effort and volunteers for what when you could just make AA/A a stronger competition?

Jardelsimage
06-03-2018, 09:04 AM
but what advantages are there to having the ZL3 structure for teams who are happy with All Age?

all that extra time and effort and volunteers for what when you could just make AA/A a stronger competition?

boz did you play grade at all

sammydog
06-03-2018, 09:33 AM

Id argue that All Age A is already well stronger than ZL3, and most likely ZL2.

You cant force players or teams into Grade Football. If thats not why people are playing, forcing them to do so will just take people out of the sport.

the_butcher
06-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Reduce the rego fees for ZL players. Make it considerably cheaper than All Age and watch em flock back. Enforce club refs to ref all all-age games and save proper refs for ZL.

MonkeyKplunk
06-03-2018, 11:00 AM

It should be seen as an entirely different concept for clubs that want something more than an All Age competition.
ZL should always be seen as a pathway for the club to increase their size and operations with a view towards larger competitions like NEWFM etc.
Obviously we all know no one gets into NEWFM these days, but the more clubs we have who have their organisational structure, coaching, skills development together the better off the whole region will be.

The roosta
06-03-2018, 12:17 PM
I can only speak for my club but playing A/A is more expensive in rego costs then it ever was for us to play zl when we had the senior club up and running and also got a lot more for your money.

Giges
06-03-2018, 04:19 PM
From my experience its generally the players that make a push to go from AA to ZL, not the club.
The club can only go in the direction that the players, who are the major stakeholder, want to go.

This is probably a question for a AA player but given there seems so many AA teams I’d like to know why players are choosing this option as opposed to ZL.
I get the feeling that for a lot of players AA seems more appealing as its less of a commitment and takes less time out of the week.
Less/no training, less time on game day, in some cases less pressure. All important things when you take into consideration most of these players all work and have families.

I could be well off the mark.

Roundball Enthusiast
06-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Reduce the rego fees for ZL players. Make it considerably cheaper than All Age and watch em flock back. Enforce club refs to ref all all-age games and save proper refs for ZL.

This.

People will chose AA ($200-300 rego) over ZL ($400+) every day of the week.

Swap it round and watch all the ZL teams form up.

Jardelsimage
06-03-2018, 06:47 PM
This.

Do AA pay refs each week or there clubs pay it

sammydog
06-03-2018, 07:21 PM

Each club would be different.

We build refs into the AA teams rego (as we do with with ZL1). So the players pay it, but the club collects it during registration. This includes two home trials with refs.

AA refs are significantly cheaper than ZL refs, but you also have a bigger chance of not getting a ref on game day.

Bulldogs 1962
06-03-2018, 09:27 PM
This.

What are ZL teams giving these players when charging 400 plus for real?

How do AA teams keep there's so low, it has been a while since I did it but from memory isn't it the same for a club to register a player in either. The extra cost of ZL comes in with registering the club to play and the refs.

I believe at Barnsley we charge the same for both. $350.

Retro Jet
07-03-2018, 12:16 AM

Each club would be different.

We build refs into the AA teams rego (as we do with with ZL1). So the players pay it, but the club collects it during registration. This includes two home trials with refs.

AA refs are significantly cheaper than ZL refs, but you also have a bigger chance of not getting a ref on game day.

Correct procedure if you want to make life easy for yourself as a club Administrator.
The daze of players chucking in a 5'er or a 10'er for refs after the game is well and truly over.
Clubs are billed by their Association for refs. Not sure what happens with AA trials though.
We've been paying cash at home and away trials with NewFM...and NPL rates when we've played
Magic, CCB & Olympic last few months. Paying the higher rate of refs fees according to who's playing who.
Killer....

MonkeyKplunk
07-03-2018, 06:51 AM

You're actually less likely to get a ref for ZL these days as not enough of them want to deal with the nonsense that comes from Senior players at this level

MonkeyKplunk
07-03-2018, 06:59 AM
What are ZL teams giving these players when charging 400 plus for real?

How do AA teams keep there's so low, it has been a while since I did it but from memory isn't it the same for a club to register a player in either. The extra cost of ZL comes in with registering the club to play and the refs.

I believe at Barnsley we charge the same for both. $350.

Correct.
The price for an over 18 for Insurance and Assoc fees is the same regardless of where your team registers.
After that it's other inclusions the club puts on

At Muswellbrook, we put on kit fees and Council fees and come out at an even $300.
We dropped it from last season where we were paying an extra $50 for refs, but we've only got refs twice last year and one of those was FFA Cup where we don't pay for them.

I would imagine the $400 + from clubs is to include dress shirts/training shirts/etc...

sammydog
07-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Paying the higher rate of refs fees according to who's playing who.
Killer....

That has caught us out this season as well.

Bulldogs 1962
07-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Correct.
The price for an over 18 for Insurance and Assoc fees is the same regardless of where your team registers.
After that it's other inclusions the club puts on

At Muswellbrook, we put on kit fees and Council fees and come out at an even $300.
We dropped it from last season where we were paying an extra $50 for refs, but we've only got refs twice last year and one of those was FFA Cup where we don't pay for them.

I would imagine the $400 + from clubs is to include dress shirts/training shirts/etc...

I guess thats why ours is 350 as we supply dress shirt, training\warm up kit.

And that's how I don't understand the 400+ for ZL and 200-300 for AA. I would think playing kit and the alike is not supplied in those AA ones.

C-Mac
07-03-2018, 11:24 AM
That has caught us out this season as well.

Can anyone here see a justification for the rise in costs of Referees for this year.

We are in ZL1 and if we got a full set of referees for a weekend last year we would have to pay $256. This year that cost has risen to $450 per weekend.

Means this year we are paying $4050 for referees for 9 home games. The additional cost for this year alone is $1764.

You wanna start doing the maths , theres 10 teams in a comp so for the year in ZL1 they are collecting $40k. With a extra $17k increase for this year alone.

Start adding up all the Zone leagues ( ZPL pay higher fees again) and the sum becomes mind boggling for cash thats spose to be used to “Paying Referees

Macca
07-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Can anyone here see a justification for the rise in costs of Referees for this year.

We are in ZL1 and if we got a full set of referees for a weekend last year we would have to pay $256. This year that cost has risen to $450 per weekend.

Means this year we are paying $4050 for referees for 9 home games. The additional cost for this year alone is $1764.

You wanna start doing the maths , theres 10 teams in a comp so for the year in ZL1 they are collecting $40k. With a extra $17k increase for this year alone.

Start adding up all the Zone leagues ( ZPL pay higher fees again) and the sum becomes mind boggling for cash thats spose to be used to “Paying Referees

With regards to the increase, I have no idea - that seems pretty steep.

But scaling up the numbers to total for the season to see a big number doesn't really mean much, all that needs to be looked at is each set of games. $450 for three refs, 3x 90 min = 4.5 hours game time (although realistically lets say 5.5 hours, allowing two 15 minute breaks between games and 15 minutes before the first and after last match) and not including any travel.
The match fees may not be split evenly, but for simplicity's sake lets say they are - each ref takes home $150 for their 5.5 hours, a little over $27 an hour. Fairly decent but not unreasonable, especially given the amount of abuse they have to put up with to do their job.

Again I have no info on the increase and do think that's a massive increase. I am just pointing out that saying stuff like "Wow they're collecting $40k in ref fees for one comp! Where's the money going?" is a bit disingenuous when you clearly have the arithmetic to see that there's no real issue there.

Premy
07-03-2018, 01:21 PM
To offer some perspective for everyone.
Between the 3 federations and insurance you are looking at roughly $200 per player, I'm to lazy to find the actual brakedown. Say you register 45 players you have to account $2500 for entry and $4900 for refs(we budget for 11 games).

$2500 ÷ 45 =$55
$4900 ÷ 45 =$108

55 +
=$363
That's before you account for concil fees and what ever a club adds on as well.
If you as a Club can register a ZL1 player for $350 then congratulations to you but sustainability is paramount and I can not see how that would happen without significant financial backing from a Sponsor.

la bazzle
07-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Between the 3 federations and insurance you are looking at roughly $200 per player, I'm to lazy to find the actual brakedown. Say you register 45 players you have to account $2500 for entry and $4900 for refs(we budget for 11 games).

$2500 ÷ 45 =$55
$4900 ÷ 45 =$108

55 +
=$363
If you as a Club can register a ZL1 player for $350 then congratulations to you but sustainability is paramount and I can not see how that would happen without significant financial backing from a Sponsor.

$330 for the blues. But we have Crypto/Azzurricoin remember, that and prize money from last year lollllllllllllllllllll

Bulldogs 1962
07-03-2018, 02:23 PM

$2500 ÷ 45 =$55
$4900 ÷ 45 =$108

55 +
=$363

I'm not currently on the committee so not totally known to the breakdown. But having been a long term member previously of the committee, the refs have always been covered by the canteen each home game which is a major saving factor in Reno if your charging $108 extra to every player.

Dobbo
07-03-2018, 02:53 PM

$2500 ÷ 45 =$55
$4900 ÷ 45 =$108

55 +
=$363

We are probably the most expensive coming in at $500 for the season.

On top of Premy's breakdown we have another $2500 for ground/council fees. Also a budget of $1000 for new equipment or the use of gym/indoor courts for wet weather training if needed.

Our players get home playing shorts and socks, and training socks. While new players also get a dress shirt and training shirt and shorts.

AVB
07-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Cooks Hill charge $500 and Players get no kit what so ever.

beaten favourite
07-03-2018, 03:33 PM

Heavily discounted flat whites down Darby Street though!!!

boz-monaut
07-03-2018, 03:49 PM
yep, we play in the nude in Cooks Hill

rich club, poor naked players

welcome to Stephen Lowy's FFA

AVB
07-03-2018, 03:51 PM
yep, we play in the nude in Cooks Hill

rich club, poor naked players

welcome to Stephen Lowy's FFA

*Players get a playing shirt for matches

Sorry Boz, I thought that's assumed

Bulldogs 1962
07-03-2018, 06:47 PM
We are probably the most expensive coming in at $500 for the season.

On top of Premy's breakdown we have another $2500 for ground/council fees. Also a budget of $1000 for new equipment or the use of gym/indoor courts for wet weather training if needed.

Our players get home playing shorts and socks, and training socks. While new players also get a dress shirt and training shirt and shorts.

Is the accounts between newfm team and zl team kept separate. Would assume newfm has a much bigger spend for a season. Do newfm have players being remunerated for there services. Just interested how the dynamics of all of that works

hawk
07-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Heavily discounted flat whites down Darby Street though!!!

No-one would ever be heard uttering such peasantry in faux row Darb's. My god the street almost just shut down when they heard the typing.

Premy
07-03-2018, 11:02 PM
I'm not currently on the committee so not totally known to the breakdown. But having been a long term member previously of the committee, the refs have always been covered by the canteen each home game which is a major saving factor in Reno if your charging $108 extra to every player.
Whilst that may have worked for you guys, I personally don't think that is sensible our sustainable. What would happen if the canteen didn't turn enough profit to cover the ref fees? Where would the money come from?

It was mentioned that other clubs are using prize money to subsidize regos and whilst that seems great and may work for those clubs. Again personally I don't see that as sensible our sustainable, what would happen next season if you don't win any prize money? Do you raise your rego significantly?

We as a club are still a non for profit organization and any profit made from the different revenue streams are spent back into the club. That could range from presentation night, paying for coaching courses or facility/ground upgrades ect.

First and foremost development and sustainability are the key goals of our club.

MonkeyKplunk
08-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Whilst that may have worked for you guys, I personally don't think that is sensible our sustainable. What would happen if the canteen didn't turn enough profit to cover the ref fees? Where would the money come from?

It was mentioned that other clubs are using prize money to subsidize regos and whilst that seems great and may work for those clubs. Again personally I don't see that as sensible our sustainable, what would happen next season if you don't win any prize money? Do you raise your rego significantly?

We as a club are still a non for profit organization and any profit made from the different revenue streams are spent back into the club. That could range from presentation night, paying for coaching courses or facility/ground upgrades ect.

First and foremost development and sustainability are the key goals of our club.

This.
We're currently in a massive downturn club wide. Despite the Active Kids voucher, we're currently at about half of the junior regos from this time last year, and we had to drop an entire senior team due to lack of regos. That is a scary prospect for a country club!

I'm currently in the midst of doing some expenditure calculations so we know exactly how much it costs us for each player, at each level, and what we need to be charging for regos from 2019 to be able to sustain that and provide better skill development to keep players within the club.
For instance, if we were to run a Friday night team now due to the extra cost of electricity for the lights for game day alone the cost per player to register would be around $800 each. That's simply staggering for a Friday night AA comp!

la bazzle
08-03-2018, 09:06 AM

This year it was the winnings, last season it was sponsorship money, the trick is to adapt and not be so rigid. What you do is you get out and find more sponsors. Whore yourself around. Bring 50 blokes to a restaurant a few times in a year and get them to give some cash to do so. Everybody wins. Think outside the box.

Dobbo
08-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Is the accounts between newfm team and zl team kept separate. Would assume newfm has a much bigger spend for a season. Do newfm have players being remunerated for there services. Just interested how the dynamics of all of that works

Yeah the accounts for newfm, wpl and zl are all separate and run by separate committees, newfm and wpl do get a lot more sponsors then we do as companies prefer to sponsor the top squads at the club. We are grateful for the sponsors we do get however if anyone has some sponsors they don't need or even some spare bitcoin ;p we will gladly take them.
Newfm have a way bigger spend then we do as they have lease payments for the gardens and all other payments required with football. As far as I am aware newfm players are not getting any payments this year a couple might get discounted rego, we are in the building phase and as there is no promotion until 2020 whats the point in buying a premiership at the moment, we are trying to promote youth and build the club up again.

Bulldogs 1962
08-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Considering Barnsley have been using canteen takings to pay referees for as long as they have been in existence, means your comment about it not being sensible or sustainable is a bit naive.

The committee at Barnsley work as hard as possible to ensure regos are kept to a minimum, whilst still managing to grow the club and develop the skills of those involved. And considering we have been in operation for over 55 years I think it works.

la bazzle
08-03-2018, 10:07 AM
We are grateful for the sponsors we do get however if anyone has some sponsors they don't need or even some spare bitcoin ;p we will gladly take them.

The bubble burst mate we're back in the poor house :rof::rof:

Bulldogs 1962
08-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Yeah the accounts for newfm, wpl and zl are all separate and run by separate committees, newfm and wpl do get a lot more sponsors then we do as companies prefer to sponsor the top squads at the club. We are grateful for the sponsors we do get however if anyone has some sponsors they don't need or even some spare bitcoin ;p we will gladly take them.
Newfm have a way bigger spend then we do as they have lease payments for the gardens and all other payments required with football. As far as I am aware newfm players are not getting any payments this year a couple might get discounted rego, we are in the building phase and as there is no promotion until 2020 whats the point in buying a premiership at the moment, we are trying to promote youth and build the club up again.

Cheers for the reply, was just interested in how it all worked. I bet the ZL committee have to work hard for there sponsorship as you say everyone prefers to give it to the top team. I wonder if it's the same across the board with all teams that have squads in different leagues. Or if all sponsorship is put into a big pot and as well as all expenses and then everyone gets an even go at it

Dobbo
08-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Cheers for the reply, was just interested in how it all worked. I bet the ZL committee have to work hard for there sponsorship as you say everyone prefers to give it to the top team. I wonder if it's the same across the board with all teams that have squads in different leagues. Or if all sponsorship is put into a big pot and as well as all expenses and then everyone gets an even go at it

All good. Yeah we in the ZL committee put lots of time in to get our sponsors.
We do have a couple of club sponsors that the funds get split between newfm, wpl, zl and juniors.

Wilso8948
08-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Azzurri subsidise their rego fees by getting players to man the wheelbarrow on the weekend pouring concrete. They even got Asian labour this year ay Buddah.
Cooks Hill are steep as they get Mummy and Daddy to pay via house equity
Barnsley don't have to pay an internet bill out that way so their rego is cheap
and Gardo is expensive because they have to replace new match balls every game as no one can find them in the scrub.

ps. Stocko around $330. We all just steal it off eachother via a few break and enters anyways so it all comes out in the wash..

Alton
08-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Azzurri subsidise their rego fees by getting players to man the wheelbarrow on the weekend pouring concrete. They even got Asian labour this year ay Buddah.
and Gardo is expensive because they have to replace new match balls every game as no one can find them in the scrub.

ps. Stocko around $330. We all just steal it off eachother via a few break and enters anyways so it all comes out in the wash..
$330.00 is steep when you are playing on half a pitch !!

beaten favourite
08-03-2018, 03:20 PM

This is brilliant and so true. We had one young fella pay his rego with cash he found down the back of the oldies couch!!!

the_butcher
08-03-2018, 04:24 PM
$330 for the blues. But we have Crypto/Azzurricoin remember, that and prize money from last year lollllllllllllllllllll

Plus that comes with full adidas training kit/warm up kit, adidas home and away kit, adidas tracksuits, adidas tee, adidas beanie, adidas hat, Azzurri iPhone case (legit lol), towel etc etc did I mention adidas?

la bazzle
08-03-2018, 05:01 PM
plus that comes with full adidas training kit/warm up kit, adidas home and away kit, adidas tracksuits, adidas tee, adidas beanie, adidas hat, azzurri iphone case (legit lol), towel etc etc did i mention adidas?

#fcknike

Wilso8948
09-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Plus that comes with full adidas training kit/warm up kit, adidas home and away kit, adidas tracksuits, adidas tee, adidas beanie, adidas hat, Azzurri iPhone case (legit lol), towel etc etc did I mention adidas?

I was almost going to ask for a rego form but there's no mention of a bum bag so I'll pass.

the_butcher
09-03-2018, 08:12 AM
I was almost going to ask for a rego form but there's no mention of a bum bag so I'll pass.

:rof::rof: watch this space

pv4
09-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Azzurri iPhone case (legit lol),

What do Azzurri have against Android? Honestly it's this single-minded attitude that reaks from the FFA all the way down to Grassroots that is killing football in this country..

pv4
09-03-2018, 10:11 AM

How many home games in the last 5 years has your club not turned enough profit to cover those fees? Genuine question, and one that may offer some further insight into how sustainable it potentially could be.

Macca
09-03-2018, 10:21 AM
As Premy said though, at the end of the day if they're using all their money one way or the other on improvements and maintenance, programs, whatever - then subsidising rego with canteen income is only taking money away from these areas.
From memory Suburb have a pretty good setup club wise and no trouble with numbers, so it doesn't seem like there's too many issues with what they are charging to register and I suspect they aren't too worried about it either.

beaten favourite
09-03-2018, 10:27 AM
As Premy said though, at the end of the day if they're using all their money one way or the other on improvements and maintenance, programs, whatever - then subsidising rego with canteen income is only taking money away from these areas.
From memory Suburb have a pretty good setup club wise and no trouble with numbers, so it doesn't seem like there's too many issues with what they are charging to register and I suspect they aren't too worried about it either.

At CHUFC the last couple of years we've had to pay about $500 but factored into that was an amount for improvements to facilities and playing surface which we were all told about prior to rego. No one kicked up much of a stink, most people are happy to pay extra if there is transparency and the lads can see a benefit for the money.

Wilso8948
09-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Eradicating the compulsory insurance amount would go a long way to bringing costs down. An individual with adequate cover via medicare and private health should have no reason to stump up the extra. The policy we all go on is trash anyways.

Macca
09-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Eradicating the compulsory insurance amount would go a long way to bringing costs down. An individual with adequate cover via medicare and private health should have no reason to stump up the extra. The policy we all go on is trash anyways.

Yeah the insurance is a joke and seriously needs to be looked at. Its honestly bordering on a rort.

My brother tried using it the season before last, and from memory its something like - you need to use all your sick and annual leave up first before they will start paying you for missed time at work. And they don't even match your wage anyway, its something like $400 or $500 a week (memory pretty sketchy on this). I believe for any medical expenses they are pretty useless and a massive hassle to deal with as well.

Get something worthwhile in place so its useful, or make it an optional thing (ie provide private health insurance details and you are exempt).

Wilso8948
09-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Yeah the insurance is a joke and seriously needs to be looked at. Its honestly bordering on a rort.

My brother tried using it the season before last, and from memory its something like - you need to use all your sick and annual leave up first before they will start paying you for missed time at work. And they don't even match your wage anyway, its something like $400 or $500 a week (memory pretty sketchy on this). I believe for any medical expenses they are pretty useless and a massive hassle to deal with as well.

Get something worthwhile in place so its useful, or make it an optional thing (ie provide private health insurance details and you are exempt).

I've been through the same scenario and yes he's correct. Also cannot make claims on anything covered via your medicare and/or private health insurance. Which is basically everything..

Id happily sign a waiver if it were optional. Cannot stand paying for things twice. Unless it was a really good night..

sammydog
09-03-2018, 12:02 PM
How many home games in the last 5 years has your club not turned enough profit to cover those fees? Genuine question, and one that may offer some further insight into how sustainable it potentially could be.

Because the money raised from the canteen (and other areas) gets pumped straight back into facilities.

In the last 2 seasons we have undertaken;

- Relocation of the cricket pitch to allow the reorientation of the top field.
- Top dressing, fertilising and soil amendments to both pitches.
- Clearing/turfing/seating of top field hill
- New Goals both grounds
- funding for future drainage of the top field

If anyone has had look at our grounds this season, you would agree that what the club has been doing to the grounds is working.

So I guess if you have no ambitions to improve the facilities you could pump it all back into subsidising regos etc. We have a long term view as to where the club as a whole (we consider the Juniors and Seniors one club and we all work towards the same goals) is headed and what we need to do to get there.

sammydog
09-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Something NNSW have been pushing is that there is a component of the insurance fee that goes towards the Club Insurance. I don't know what the break down is with the fees as to how much goes to medical insurance and how much if public liability coverage to the clubs.

Apparently if they were to remove the medical insurance component, it wouldn't make a huge difference in rego as the Club Insurance is a large part of it.

Bulldogs 1962
09-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Because the money raised from the canteen (and other areas) gets pumped straight back into facilities.

In the last 2 seasons we have undertaken;

- Relocation of the cricket pitch to allow the reorientation of the top field.
- Top dressing, fertilising and soil amendments to both pitches.
- Clearing/turfing/seating of top field hill
- New Goals both grounds
- funding for future drainage of the top field

If anyone has had look at our grounds this season, you would agree that what the club has been doing to the grounds is working.

So I guess if you have no ambitions to improve the facilities you could pump it all back into subsidising regos etc. We have a long term view as to where the club as a whole (we consider the Juniors and Seniors one club and we all work towards the same goals) is headed and what we need to do to get there.

Your comments would suggest that if a club subsidises rego, it can't improve facilities.

Over the past few seasons Barnsley have had drainage installed, purchased new goals, undertaken turf replacement, top soil and fertilising of the fields, had seating repaired/ replaced/ added, coaching causes paid for and many other incidental improvements.

And all this whilst using canteen takings to pay the refs to assist with keeping rego as low as possible.

Macca
09-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Your comments would suggest that if a club subsidises rego, it can't improve facilities.

Over the past few seasons Barnsley have had drainage installed, purchased new goals, undertaken turf replacement, top soil and fertilising of the fields, had seating repaired/ replaced/ added, coaching causes paid for and many other incidental improvements.

And all this whilst using canteen takings to pay the refs to assist with keeping rego as low as possible.

While I commend you and your club on their hard work, what is the point of this discussion?

Its pretty easy to see that its a zero sum game - whatever income you generate (canteen, rego fees, sponsorships) goes to whatever costs you have plus whatever's left over (or vice versa). You have choices as to how much you want to levy players signing up, and have choices as to how much optional spending you do (infrastructure, facilities, courses etc). You still have to balance the books out at the end of the day.

At the end of the day, clubs heavily subsidising rego costs should view it as it is - an expenditure. Either you have extra income to cover it, or you have less available funds for other expenditures. I'm not saying its a good or bad choice either, and each club will be different. As seen from some of the others posts here, some clubs openly state they are levying for investment in facilities and players have no issue, while others are running low regos for whatever reasons, presumably to be more attractive to players / show of faith in returning players.

the_butcher
09-03-2018, 02:11 PM
While I commend you and your club on their hard work, what is the point of this discussion?

Its pretty easy to see that its a zero sum game - whatever income you generate (canteen, rego fees, sponsorships) goes to whatever costs you have plus whatever's left over (or vice versa). You have choices as to how much you want to levy players signing up, and have choices as to how much optional spending you do (infrastructure, facilities, courses etc). You still have to balance the books out at the end of the day.

At the end of the day, clubs heavily subsidising rego costs should view it as it is - an expenditure. Either you have extra income to cover it, or you have less available funds for other expenditures. I'm not saying its a good or bad choice either, and each club will be different. As seen from some of the others posts here, some clubs openly state they are levying for investment in facilities and players have no issue, while others are running low regos for whatever reasons, presumably to be more attractive to players / show of faith in returning players.

Well said Big Mac, about time someone started talking some sense around here

beaten favourite
09-03-2018, 02:15 PM

VERY common sense post buddy. Every club will have different goals

Bulldogs 1962
09-03-2018, 04:12 PM

Fully agree man, I just offering some evidence that even when premy said it wasn't sensible/sustainable or sammydog stats it means your club isn't interested in facility improvement, it actually can be done. With all the talk of teams struggling for players and high rego being a factor this may help some clubs to change that

namwob99
09-03-2018, 09:15 PM
I've been through the same scenario and yes he's correct.
Surely nobody is surprised by this! Bahahahahaha

boz-monaut
10-03-2018, 06:45 PM
the draw now up on sportingpulse

Sunday 8 July at Furt Kearnley Field for Cooks Hill v Azzurri

DonPablo
11-03-2018, 09:16 PM
I've been through the same scenario and yes he's correct. Also cannot make claims on anything covered via your medicare and/or private health insurance. Which is basically everything..

Are you doing it rite? I claim my physio every year after my private rebate so it costs like $8 a visit. The Medicare gap bullshit sucks a big 1.

Wilso8948
12-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Surely nobody is surprised by this! Bahahahahaha

Says the retired bloke playing F grade in the over 60s comp or some bullshit.

Wilso8948
12-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Are you doing it rite? I claim my physio every year after my private rebate so it costs like $8 a visit. The Medicare gap bullshit sucks a big 1.

Is this after all physio allowances exhausted? The amount of loop holes I had to jump through were a joke. Made it near on impossible I just gave up.

namwob99
13-03-2018, 06:21 AM

G*

hawk
15-03-2018, 09:29 PM

Whats a players grade got to do with knowledge? next he'll be the wrong colour.

Cabaye#4
15-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Is this after all physio allowances exhausted? The amount of loop holes I had to jump through were a joke. Made it near on impossible I just gave up.
Hey mate, I claimed all my Physio for 12 months after I did my ACL 18 months ago.
The Physio limit is $350 for injuries that don’t require surgery, but then upto $5k for any injury that requires an opp.
So I’d just send them a picture of my invoice each visit which showed the cost, the amount paid by my private, and then the gap. Then they paid 85% of the gap.
That’s how it worked for me anyway.
I did claim loss of income but they only pay you for more than 2 weeks off, so I got paid for like 1 day in the end.

Wilso8948
16-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Whats a players grade got to do with knowledge? next he'll be the wrong colour.

If you've ever met him you'd realise knowledge isn't one of his strong points. They even gave him a coaching gig once just so he felt he was part of the "team".

Retro Jet
17-03-2018, 12:32 AM
Jesus H Christ! This thread up to 11 pages and neck and neck with NPL!
KUTGW and interest peeps.

hawk
17-03-2018, 09:11 AM
If you've ever met him you'd realise knowledge isn't one of his strong points. They even gave him a coaching gig once just so he felt he was part of the "team".

:rof::rof:

Roundball Enthusiast
17-03-2018, 01:03 PM
Any trials for tomorrow? Going to be a shocker. NNSW will be keeping an eye on some FFA Cup games for sure. Plenty of places looking close to the 37C cut off.

4attheback
17-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Surely if you have trials tommorow you'd call them off wouldn't be worth putting you're players through the heat? Reschedule for mid week if you could.

bleak
18-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Jesmond Rams looking for a trial, preferably all 3 grades for this coming weekend or the weekend following. Would prefer a Saturday but won't knock back a Sunday.
PM or get me on 0409280646 if interested.

And while I'm in the ZL1 thread I might as well congratulate Azzurri on their win today. It wasn't the best game thanks to the heat, but it was recognised by all who watched that you guys are trying to play a good style of football and at times particularly in the first half it was very easy to watch.

The Dreaded Keeper
18-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Well well well, it would seem the jig is up on the #survivethedrop scheme the Azzurri boys are running. I toddled along today to sit in the heat and enjoy some football, and my oh my do they look the goods for ZL1. They will fight tooth and nail no doubt to cling on to the underdog status, god knows (he's real, right?) that it's easier to set the bar low and Fosbury right on over that beetch than to admit how good you are and make like Josh Groban and raise it on up.

Took care of ZPL team Jesmond in regular time without much effort and really do play some lovely football. The players they've slipped into the sky blue are quality and I'm picking them to be top 4 quite comfortably.

Congratulations on the win and sending some love to the Azzurri faithful, great display in the hill there, I loved it and so did my kids. Good to see some real true sky-blue passion in the division.

hawk
18-03-2018, 09:15 PM
Well well well, it would seem the jig is up on the #survivethedrop scheme the Azzurri boys are running. I toddled along today to sit in the heat and enjoy some football, and my oh my do they look the goods for ZL1. They will fight tooth and nail no doubt to cling on to the underdog status, god knows (he's real, right?) that it's easier to set the bar low and Fosbury right on over that beetch than to admit how good you are and make like Josh Groban and raise it on up.

Took care of ZPL team Jesmond in regular time without much effort and really do play some lovely football. The players they've slipped into the sky blue are quality and I'm picking them to be top 4 quite comfortably.

Congratulations on the win and sending some love to the Azzurri faithful, great display in the hill there, I loved it and so did my kids. Good to see some real true sky-blue passion in the division.

A1 post would read again.

But the Adult pack for man of match was a good incentive.

Did Big Birds wrist come through ok?

The Dreaded Keeper
18-03-2018, 09:17 PM
A1 post would read again.

But the Adult pack for man of match was a good incentive.

Broken in 3 places I believe. He did that 10mins in and played the game out. Superb effort. He's a stellar human though. Pretty sure my mrs wants a ride on that stairway to heaven.

Wilso8948
19-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Broken in 3 places I believe. He did that 10mins in and played the game out. Superb effort. He's a stellar human though. Pretty sure my mrs wants a ride on that stairway to heaven.

To be fair Thommo is about 11ft tall so probably a lot closer to God than most of us.

pv4
19-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Well well well, it would seem the jig is up on the #survivethedrop scheme the Azzurri boys are running.

This is some real reverse psychology shit going on here.

la bazzle
19-03-2018, 02:02 PM
I'd say it was more luck than anything else. #survivethedrop2018

(carn the blues)

la bazzle
19-03-2018, 02:04 PM

His biggest concern was getting a fibreglass cast, he's off to goldy or something this arvo and loves a dip. Absolute trooper

the_butcher
19-03-2018, 05:54 PM
god knows (he's real, right?) that it's easier to set the bar low and Fosbury right on over that beetch than to admit how good you are and make like Josh Groban and raise it on up..

This deserves more credit :rof:

Seriously though, Azzurri will struggle this year. It would be embarrassing for Newcastle football if they didn't finish last.

Kicktheball
20-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Top 4.

1.hamilton azzuri
2. Stockton
3. Uni
4. Garden suburbs

pv4
20-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Top 4.

1.hamilton azzuri
2. Stockton
3. Uni
4. Garden suburbs

Azzurri first? Surely this can't be the first grade ladder you're talking about? #survivethedroptwentyeighteen

Cabaye#4
20-03-2018, 10:19 AM
This deserves more credit :rof:

Seriously though, Azzurri will struggle this year. It would be embarrassing for Newcastle football if they didn't finish last.

Pffft. It would be embarrassing if Azzurri DID come last as it would make it a dumb choice to promote and skip ZL2 if they didn’t do well.

Top 4.

1.hamilton azzuri
2. Stockton
3. Uni
4. Garden suburbs

So you’re ignoring the grand final winners?

Top 4 should be Terrace, Suburbs, Azzurri and Cooks Hill. Not in that order.

Premy
20-03-2018, 11:32 AM
What is everyones thoughts on Morisset? Hypothetically speaking if they don't finishes last do they deserve to be relegated still?

Personally I feel for the blokes there who have and are sticking it out. I hope they can recover but I feel regardless of results it would be unfair if anyone else is relegated next year before them.

beaten favourite
20-03-2018, 11:54 AM
What is everyones thoughts on Morisset? Hypothetically speaking if they don't finishes last do they deserve to be relegated still?

Personally I feel for the blokes there who have and are sticking it out. I hope they can recover but I feel regardless of results it would be unfair if anyone else is relegated next year before them.
I have massive issues with how this all unfolded as I've mentioned previously. how does the Association do some due diligence before punting Charlie who were competitive in Reserves & Thirds whilst Morriset languished in these grades. Anyone who played Morriset in reserve grade last year saw that it was mainly thirds backing up!!!

so in 2018 where did the club think 15-20 blokes were magically going to appear from and why didn't the Association enquire as to why they were so poor in 2017. Surely they could have just looked at players registered? This situation should never have occurred and you have to feel for Charlie.

As for what they do at the end of this year, who would know!!!!!

Wilso8948
20-03-2018, 11:56 AM

I think its ridiculous the rules have been changed to suit one team. Squads struggle to field teams throughout the grades each and every week. But they make it happen. Lets say Morisset win Reserve/First grade GF. What's to say it isn't an advantage having a fresh team whilst their opposition may have had players back up from thirds/Reserves. Ultimately that's two years the competition has changed for one club. And now the criteria for acceptance into this grade has been tainted. Others may disagree but I'm calling a spade a spade.

pv4
20-03-2018, 12:12 PM
This brings us back to the argument I posed last year in the ZL1 thread that, like Sydney NPL, promotion & relegation should be decided on Club Championship rather than solely first grade. And from memory, Morisset came last in the Club Championship last year.

EDIT: I just checked, Morisset did finish last in the Club Championship last year. And would need to have quite a year in firsts & reserves to avoid last in the Club Championship this upcoming year..

MonkeyKplunk
20-03-2018, 12:18 PM
I think its ridiculous the rules have been changed to suit one team. Squads struggle to field teams throughout the grades each and every week. But they make it happen. Lets say Morisset win Reserve/First grade GF. What's to say it isn't an advantage having a fresh team whilst their opposition may have had players back up from thirds/Reserves. Ultimately that's two years the competition has changed for one club. And now the criteria for acceptance into this grade has been tainted. Others may disagree but I'm calling a spade a spade.

Hang on.
Whilst I agree with this years assessment of changing the rules for a team, how did it change last year for the team?
They said they could field 3 grades and did so every week, regardless of how many people had to back up from 3rd to Res, or wherever.

This year they admitted they can't field a 3rd grade, asked to go down, and then the rules we bent for them to keep the status quo of the competition at a late stage. That's the only issue.
And I can't see how any gripe should be held with the players or the club, as they did the correct thing in requesting to be dropped a grade. It was the combined committees decision to allow the change in rules.

Premy
20-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Hang on.
Whilst I agree with this years assessment of changing the rules for a team, how did it change last year for the team?
They said they could field 3 grades and did so every week, regardless of how many people had to back up from 3rd to Res, or wherever.

This year they admitted they can't field a 3rd grade, asked to go down, and then the rules we bent for them to keep the status quo of the competition at a late stage. That's the only issue.
And I can't see how any gripe should be held with the players or the club, as they did the correct thing in requesting to be dropped a grade. It was the combined committees decision to allow the change in rules.

"The competition changed"
2016 Morisset played ZPL.
2017 Morisset asked to be relegated because they felt they wouldn't be competitive
2018 Morisset asked to be relegated because they couldn't feild 3 side, ultimately the decision was made to allow for them to stay with 2 grades.

2 years in a row the competition changed to suit them.

pv4
20-03-2018, 12:24 PM
Hang on.

The big issue is the timing of it. It was probably too late for a previously-functioning Charlestown, for example, to get a third grade back after being relegated.

Again - Club Championship would have solved this issue, and the upcoming "issue" of what to do with Morisset..

pv4
20-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Here are my posts from last year on the Club Champ. I still reckon they hold up:

Club Championship:
1. Barnsley 176
2. Raymond Terrace 161
3. Garden Suburb() 161
4. Wallsend 155
5. Cooks Hill 146
6. Stockton 124
7. Westlakes 97
8. Beresfield 92
9. Charlestown 75
10. Morisset 73

They should promote/relegate based on Club Championship, like Sydney NPL do.

I for one am shocked that someone from Morisset doesn't like the idea :oops:

It's genuinely worth considering, I reckon. Adding to what Jardel has said.. what about those clubs that have years when their first grade absolutely blitz a comp but their other grade(s) are cellar dwellers? From memory I can think of both Morisset and Raymond Terrace having years like this. Having entire clubs contributions is a good thought. And as we can see from this years Club Championship in this comp, the first grade ladder varies very little from the Club Championship ladder. It's still heavily based on First Grade, which is the goal.

Using this years First Grade vs Club Champ Ladder, from what I can see the main differences are: Morisset and Charlestown swap 9th and 10th positions, Cooks Hill move from 8th to 5th because of their great Reserve Grade results. The rest are pretty much the same.

Cabaye#4
20-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Add to that the fact that across all grades last season, Charlestown won 5 of 6 games vs Morisset, and drew the other.

Then Charlie beat them 3-1 in the FFA cup on the weekend, and drew 2-2 in reserves (curtain raiser to 1st grade).

Unfortunately, it is what it is.
As someone mentioned above, the timing was the worst part of this issue.
Yes they requested to go down, but they did it too late.
Charlie had already accepted the relegation, cut 15 players and even lost a few who didn’t want to play ZL2. So there was no way they could have gone back up to ZL1 at such late notice.
I know a few other clubs expressed an interest, but the sheer workload required from volunteer committee members to make it happen wouldve scared off most teams.

Wilso8948
20-03-2018, 01:18 PM
2017 Morisset asked to be relegated because they felt they wouldn't be competitive
2018 Morisset asked to be relegated because they couldn't feild 3 side, ultimately the decision was made to allow for them to stay with 2 grades.

Thanks for the clarification Premy. Saved me some typing.. Must have found that ball of yours and have all this spare time on your hands!

Bon
20-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification Premy. Saved me some typing.. Must have found that ball of yours and have all this spare time on your hands!

:brrr:

The Anvil
20-03-2018, 02:39 PM
This brings us back to the argument I posed last year in the ZL1 thread that, like Sydney NPL, promotion & relegation should be decided on Club Championship rather than solely first grade. And from memory, Morisset came last in the Club Championship last year.

EDIT: I just checked, Morisset did finish last in the Club Championship last year. And would need to have quite a year in firsts & reserves to avoid last in the Club Championship this upcoming year..

I think this would have to be one of the dumbest post I have read. I find it quite difficult to compare Sydney NPL to 4th and 5th division Newcastle Football.
I am President of a ZPL club and previously ZL1. Clubs have always and or should live and die by first grade. Do you really think Charlestown's reserves would have changed any results from last year??? I have played all 3 grades in both comps. Each grade is like comparing apples and oranges.

MonkeyKplunk
20-03-2018, 03:00 PM

Sorry, I was assuming by saying "the competition changed" we were referring to a ruling change. Not just that a club couldn't be competitive and changed the format of the actual competition.

This season however is most definitely a ruling change, and it goes a long way to making a mockery of the competition for those clubs that strive hard to be in it week in-year out.

Roundball Enthusiast
20-03-2018, 03:12 PM
I think this would have to be one of the dumbest post I have read. I find it quite difficult to compare Sydney NPL to 4th and 5th division Newcastle Football.
I am President of a ZPL club and previously ZL1. Clubs have always and or should live and die by first grade. Do you really think Charlestown's reserves would have changed any results from last year??? I have played all 3 grades in both comps. Each grade is like comparing apples and oranges.

I don't know. Of all my years playing in Zone League, all I know is, when we sign up. We play as a SQUAD. We don't sign up as "First Grade", "Reserve Grade" and "Third Grade" players. You EARN your spot in the team you play in every week.

Using Club Championship shows the strongest SQUAD throughout the year. Sure, everyone gets all excited about first grade results, but ultimately, the Club/SQUAD with the best players and DEPTH *should* end up finishing first and winning the comp. You don't do that with 11-12 players. More likely 15+ players playing in first grade throughout the year.

I like the idea of using Club Championships for promotion and relegation.

Wilso8948
20-03-2018, 03:21 PM
it goes a long way to making a mockery of the competition for those clubs that strive hard to be in it week in-year out.

You've basically summed up the whole decision in one sentence.

Frodo
20-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Club championships can't be used as a relegation tool as it would impact 1st grade.

Stacking lower grades come finals is already an issue for some people.

As an example, If team 1 knew they weren't competitive in 1sts by the halfway mark of the season they could just drop a few 1st graders into reserve grade to assure club championship points and over take someone like Team 1, who are trying to win 1st grade games by rotating the best guys from reserve into their team each week.

Unfortunately the world isn't perfect and Charlestown were relegated because they finished last, Morisset's struggles this year didn't impact on that happening.

I'm also very sure that Morisset had fully intended on fielding 3 competitive teams this year and are disappointed that they have had to resort to not fielding a 3rds team. By all accounts they asked to be relegated to ZL2 as soon as they worked out the issue, however that request was denied. The association is the one who made the decisions that led to it, so if anyone is unhappy I guess it should be aimed at the association rather than Morisset.

pv4
20-03-2018, 07:23 PM

Club Championship helps highlight the overall strength of the cluv and overall squad rather than allowing clubs to stack their top grade and leave unsustainable lower grades. Charlestown seemingly had stronger reserves and thirds than Morisset did, which the CC reflects, and arguably could have headed into this season with a better overall squad than Morisset have.

Frodo the thing about CC is it is still heavily weighted for first grade results. It's not like all grades are treated equally. Which can be seen by how little the First Grade Ladder varies from the CC.

Cabaye#4
20-03-2018, 10:30 PM
I'm also very sure that Morisset had fully intended on fielding 3 competitive teams this year and are disappointed that they have had to resort to not fielding a 3rds team. By all accounts they asked to be relegated to ZL2 as soon as they worked out the issue, however that request was denied. The association is the one who made the decisions that led to it, so if anyone is unhappy I guess it should be aimed at the association rather than Morisset.

Morisset nominated to stay in ZL1, despite barely being able to field a 3rd grade side last year. So they either signed 15 newbies, or knew they would struggle again. So yes, the club is to blame.
The association denied their request because it would punish another team to promote them at such late notice. Particularly since they were already put in ZL2 and had been planning accordingly.
The decision they made was basically to have 1 bye instead of 3 each week.

Frodo
21-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Frodo the thing about CC is it is still heavily weighted for first grade results. It's not like all grades are treated equally. Which can be seen by how little the First Grade Ladder varies from the CC.

I know what you mean, but I still think it's an issue that would come up.

I think there is a lot of great points in favour for CC being used for relegation, but I don't think it's infallible.

Macca
26-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Westlakes vs Suns
3rd 0 - 9?
Res 0 - 4
Firsts 3 - 3

Tough day out for some of the young blokes getting their first tastes of senior football. Decent match in firsts. Thanks for the day.

beaten favourite
26-03-2018, 08:48 AM
CHUFC v Uni

Third: 0-3
Reserves: 3-1
Firsts: 6-1

WWMTD?
26-03-2018, 01:31 PM
CHUFC v Uni

Third: 0-3
Reserves: 3-1
Firsts: 6-1

#reversedthecurse

Cabaye#4
26-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Westlakes vs Suns
3rd 0 - 9?
Res 0 - 4
Firsts 3 - 3

Tough day out for some of the young blokes getting their first tastes of senior football. Decent match in firsts. Thanks for the day.
Are Suns employing their patented 1-1-8 formation again this season?
4-4 in the cup, 3-3 with westlakes. Conceded half a dozen vs wallsend. Attack is the best form of defence, right?!

Cabaye#4
29-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Heard Terrace spanked Jesmond last night? Any forum spies got a report?

DonPablo
30-03-2018, 09:40 PM
I, Don Pablo, have created something for the masses...!

https://facebook.com/zoneleaguefootballnnsw

One place for all the scores, scorers and news from the leagues of Zone.

Please like. Share. Invite. More people means more exposure, and we can share the love or Zone League football.

De nada!

la bazzle
31-03-2018, 09:45 AM

Please like. Share. Invite. More people means more exposure, and we can share the love or Zone League football.

De nada!

Good stuff mate! Glad to see you talk normally on it as well

4attheback
02-04-2018, 07:15 PM
So with the comp about start probably one of the tightest in a while anyone got any thoughts on the table
My un educated guess
Suburbs
Terrace
Azzuri
Cookers
Maryland
Stockton
Uni
West lakes
Wallsend
Morrisset
But honestly feel like it's going to be a very competitive season give. Pre season results

MonkeyKplunk
03-04-2018, 06:36 AM

De nada!

There's actual reviews, previews and no nonsense on this page!
Are you sure you're feeling alright mate?