View Full Version : 2018 Zone League 2 thread

boz-monaut
01-01-2018, 12:23 PM
2018 discussion starts here

DonPablo
18-02-2018, 11:14 PM
Talkative lot you are.
Any tips?

Simba to dominate on their barely legal postage stamp pitch?

Olympic to be competitive and self destruct?

Charlie to win more than 1 game this year?

Advance to relocate to Merewether?

Mussy to relocate to Jesmond?

Cunning stunts
20-02-2018, 09:08 AM
if anyone is interested in a mid week trial PM me (ZPL3)

MonkeyKplunk
20-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Talkative lot you are.
Any tips?

Simba to dominate on their barely legal postage stamp pitch?

Olympic to be competitive and self destruct?

Charlie to win more than 1 game this year?

Advance to relocate to Merewether?

Mussy to relocate to Jesmond?

We've already got a terrible field, why would we want to move to Jesmond?

howardyou
23-02-2018, 04:56 PM
So with Mussy dropping out of ZL all together, do we see ZL2 & ZL3 combining to make a 14 team comp? Would be silly to have two 7 team comps.

Swanky
24-02-2018, 07:24 AM
Nothing wrong with 2x7 team comps still get 18 games with 3 byes
Issue is if any more pull out

idontwannaplaywithhowey
24-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Nothing wrong with 2x7 team comps still get 18 games with 3 byes
Issue is if any more pull out

Hearing another ZL3 side are looking shaky with numbers

mefa1984
28-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Could someone please tell us what teams are in ZL2?

idontwannaplaywithhowey
28-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Could someone please tell us what teams are in ZL2?

Charlestown
Hamilton Olympic
Kahibah
New Lambton
Hunter Simba
Nelson Bay
Merewether
Muswellbrook (maybe)

Robbery
28-02-2018, 09:49 PM
Muswellbrook are out. Morriset have dropped down into our comp but the association are trying to get a team to go up to league 1 to replace them. So who knows where things will end up......

MonkeyKplunk
01-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Muswellbrook are out. Morriset have dropped down into our comp but the association are trying to get a team to go up to league 1 to replace them. So who knows where things will end up......

A month out from season start and they still can't figure out what's going on.
Yep, definitely the combined Zone committee.

Roundball Enthusiast
01-03-2018, 08:55 AM

I dont see any team form the list above making the jump to ZL1 and being competitive, not at such short notice.

Most teams are probably struggling for numbers, or already made any cuts.

rawr.
01-03-2018, 10:11 AM
A month out from season start and they still can't figure out what's going on.
Yep, definitely the combined Zone committee.

A month out from competition and a club has all but pulled out of ZL1... what exactly do you want the combined Zone committee to do?
At least they have asked for expressions of interest.

MonkeyKplunk
01-03-2018, 01:17 PM
A month out from competition and a club has all but pulled out of ZL1... what exactly do you want the combined Zone committee to do?
At least they have asked for expressions of interest.

Admit that format that they're trying to push no longer works, and have some balls to change it.
There are teams within ZL2 that could easily compete against ZL1 teams yet they can't (for whatever reason) raise the numbers to enter an entire other grade in order to advance, so they never do.
Then over the years the shine of the competition rubs off the players in those teams, and they gradually care less and less about the ZL competiton because they see there's no point in trying to compete when you're never allowed to progress.

The Amateur football landscape has changed massively over the past 5 or so years. The cost and pressure of playing for no reward far outweighs peoples desire to sign up every year and we lose many players to other codes, or worse to nowhere.

Macca
01-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Admit that format that they're trying to push no longer works, and have some balls to change it.
There are teams within ZL2 that could easily compete against ZL1 teams yet they can't (for whatever reason) raise the numbers to enter an entire other grade in order to advance, so they never do.
Then over the years the shine of the competition rubs off the players in those teams, and they gradually care less and less about the ZL competiton because they see there's no point in trying to compete when you're never allowed to progress.

The Amateur football landscape has changed massively over the past 5 or so years. The cost and pressure of playing for no reward far outweighs peoples desire to sign up every year and we lose many players to other codes, or worse to nowhere.

Which would be solved by having a few different clubs having first grade teams in ZL1, where there are bountiful rewards for playing?
You also then push clubs that do have numbers for third grade to shunt off 15 players to an all age comp where they are segregated from the rest of the club.

hawk
04-03-2018, 08:46 PM

So have ZPL with 3 grades then ZL1 to 3 with 2 grades.

Premy
04-03-2018, 09:03 PM
So have ZPL with 3 grades then ZL1 to 3 with 2 grades.
Why should ZL1 clubs have to get rid of 3rd grade?

nosmackjustfact
07-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Anyone interested in a trial game this Sunday?x 2 teams
Our trial fell through due to cricket needing the ground.
Only catch is we can’t host.

sammydog
07-03-2018, 04:26 PM

I dont agree with ditching 3rd grade, but think it needs to be consistent across all levels. Where ever a step up a grade is contingent on finding another grade, there is going to be issues. Also not real good for clubs like charlestown, get relegated and have to cut loose a grade. They aren't coming back if they managed promotion this season.

I actually think 3rd grade needs a tweak to require a certain level of youth development, but that wont happen.

hawk
07-03-2018, 07:49 PM

Easier for some teams to keep climbing because their numbers will only cover 2 grades? Maybe more clubs could enter if not needing a 3rd grade till ZPL. And paying big rego to run in 3rds is pretty ridic. Rather play 1sts in a grade lower.

In mentioning these "maybes" I wouldnt want clubs to lose a close knit 3rds team. sucked when 3rds went to 23's a few years back.

Premy
07-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Easier for some teams to keep climbing because their numbers will only cover 2 grades? Maybe more clubs could enter if not needing a 3rd grade till ZPL. And paying big rego to run in 3rds is pretty ridic. Rather play 1sts in a grade lower.

In mentioning these "maybes" I wouldnt want clubs to lose a close knit 3rds team. sucked when 3rds went to 23's a few years back.

You would then just create the same problem we have now between ZL2 to ZL1 and shift it to ZL1 to ZPL.
I can't speak for other clubs but if we were to lose our 3rd grade it would hurt us big time, as many of our "clubmen" play there. This year we have had 65+ people show up to training, fortunately we have been able to form an All age side which is essentially our 4th grade.

I understand every club faces different factors into finding enough players due to various reasons but getting rid of 3rd grade in ZL1 would only be detrimental to the Zone Leagues. If anything it would be best to maybe try to slowy integrate 3rd into ZL2 over a few years.

la bazzle
08-03-2018, 09:17 AM
I understand every club faces different factors into finding enough players due to various reasons but getting rid of 3rd grade in ZL1 would only be detrimental to the Zone Leagues. If anything it would be best to maybe try to slowy integrate 3rd into ZL2 over a few years.

Agreed - Why punish one club because another can't attract players? Maybe look at why they can't get players in the first place......

leftrightout
08-03-2018, 10:53 AM
You would then just create the same problem we have now between ZL2 to ZL1 and shift it to ZL1 to ZPL.
I can't speak for other clubs but if we were to lose our 3rd grade it would hurt us big time, as many of our "clubmen" play there. This year we have had 65+ people show up to training, fortunately we have been able to form an All age side which is essentially our 4th grade.

I personally think the whole structure needs reassessing.

Why not less clubs with more grades? Similar to local grade cricket.
or
Why not 2 grades from ZPL down? Why do ZPL need 3 grades. Whats the difference between ZPL 3rd grade and ZL3 1st grade?

There would be plenty of other ways to set it up that would have just as much chance as working as the current system which doesn't seem to be working for clubs.

MonkeyKplunk
08-03-2018, 12:22 PM
In the end it needs to come back to how it should have been originally, the 3 associations joining together to help the smaller clubs in ZL2 & 3 build their systems and skill development so they can grow as a club in size and skill and be able to get the results to earn promotion into ZL1 and beyond.
In the meantime, it means there will be more AA sides at a higher level, which makes their competitions more meaningful, and helps the health of the clubs throughout the entire NNSWF area.

It ain't rocket science, but someone seems to think it is...

hawk
11-03-2018, 06:12 PM
I personally think the whole structure needs reassessing.

1. Why not less clubs with more grades? Similar to local grade cricket.
or
2. Why not 2 grades from ZPL down? Why do ZPL need 3 grades. Whats the difference between ZPL 3rd grade and ZL3 1st grade?

There would be plenty of other ways to set it up that would have just as much chance as working as the current system which doesn't seem to be working for clubs.

I was thinking along the lines of point 2. I'd rather see more clubs in ZL's and less filling 3rds. Pretty sure 3rds could go AA if needed without needing therapy and still cook a bbq.

Maybe Suburb need a Newfm or ZPL and ZL3 if their so full

The Hacker
12-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Merewether getting beaten 3-2 by Toronto from Newfm is impressive if it's the case

Robbery
13-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Merewether getting beaten 3-2 by Toronto from Newfm is impressive if it's the case

They had a fair few guys from their firsts team out I was told. Was a stinking hot arvo for playing.

hawk
17-03-2018, 02:44 PM
So in 1 foz u say we have to many AA teams, then here you suggest we kick 3rds to AA?

i eat bags

1. Where did I mention too many AA?

2. If there were more clubs in ZL AA wouldnt grow at the expense of some 3rds dropping, sorry going across to AA

ffs 2 many tards

hawk
22-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Alright moving on

Why is it difficult to keep teams in this div? Only 2 grades etc. Is AA just much easier?

Swanky
23-03-2018, 07:42 AM
Alright moving on

Why is it difficult to keep teams in this div? Only 2 grades etc. Is AA just much easier?

Volunteers are the issue with an all age team you dont need any you turn up and play the club has normally shut the canteen by then all you do is pack the ground up. With ZL side you need to set up, pack up run a canteen and need duty officers young kids these days are to good to help volunteer and run a club

nosmackjustfact
29-03-2018, 09:09 PM
No action here for a while???
Predictions after the trials and ffa results?

DonPablo
29-03-2018, 11:35 PM
I predict a long winter for some of these teams hey.

My other predctions,not in any order. Or is it????

Simba
Olympic
Merweathers
Bald Eagles
Charleston
Kahibah
Bye
Nelsons Bay

Ccbay
30-03-2018, 07:32 AM
Don’t you worry about The Bay.
You’ll hear The Pirates song many times this year.

Swanky
07-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Res
Olympic 1 J.Kitcher
Kahibah 2 N.McCallister C.Swift

1st Grade
Olympic 3 M.Stassi 2 D.Burchill
Kahibah 1 L.Keeping

Charman
09-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Res
Olympic 1 J.Kitcher
Kahibah 2 N.McCallister C.Swift

1st Grade
Olympic 3 M.Stassi 2 D.Burchill
Kahibah 1 L.Keeping

and the red card count..............?

Swanky
09-04-2018, 01:20 PM
and the red card count..............?

1st Grade
Kahibah 2 Olympic 1

Ressies
0-0

idontwannaplaywithhowey
09-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Hi All,
Please note that with the move to Novocastrian Park, New Lambton FC now do not have a liquor licence for our ZL2 Match Days. We are more than happy for opposing teams and supporters bring along their own beers (our rad sponsor the Blackbutt Hotel has a bottle-o just up the road), but make sure they are in cans as we are not permitted to have glass at the ground (like all sporting fields). Duty Officers will be on hand to ensure there are no glass bottles.

Swanky
22-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Hamilton Olympic v Merewether Advance has been moved from Islington to Darling St today

aidos
28-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Hunter Simba are a joke to Newcastle football. Game abandoned against Merewether due to a player trying to fight a referee after a red card from a headbutt. Bench Players trying to fight merewether staff this isnt the first incident i’ve seen from this club. There isnt a place for it in our comp. immature, Disgusting behaviour

hawk
28-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Hunter Simba are a joke to Newcastle football. Game abandoned against Merewether due to a player trying to fight a referee after a red card from a headbutt. Bench Players trying to fight merewether staff this isnt the first incident i’ve seen from this club. There isnt a place for it in our comp. immature, Disgusting behaviour

stupid crazy

idontwannaplaywithhowey
29-04-2018, 07:56 AM

Alternate reports are that the Hunter Simba team chose to leave the pitch after the second red card (game still abandoned).
Which one is accurate?

Robbery
29-04-2018, 08:17 AM
Alternate reports are that the Hunter Simba team chose to leave the pitch after the second red card (game still abandoned).
Which one is accurate?

Simba players walked off the field. Ref was wanting to continue. So whatever you call that (match aborted?).

The Hacker
30-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Which one is accurate?

Walking off cause they were getting beat is disgraceful and needs to be punished. Who do they think they are. If every team walked of cause they didn't like a call we would never finish a game. If this doesn't get serverly punished the federation may as well tell the refs that what they experienced at that games acceptable by players

michaelstipe
01-05-2018, 12:52 AM
Walking off cause they were getting beat is disgraceful and needs to be punished. Who do they think they are. If every team walked of cause they didn't like a call we would never finish a game. If this doesn't get serverly punished the federation may as well tell the refs that what they experienced at that games acceptable by players

not to mention trying to bash the ref and merewether staff. the club should be suspended from the competition

idontwannaplaywithhowey
01-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Can someone from Charlestown please put the scores for their Rd 3 match into sportingpulse?

Robbery
06-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Charlestown vs merewether
Reserves 2-1
Firsts 1-3

idontwannaplaywithhowey
06-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Kahibah v New Lambton:
1st: 1-0 Kahibah
Res: 6-0 New Lambton

Swanky
17-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Round 19 Last Night

Olympic 2-1 Nelson Bay in both grades

idontwannaplaywithhowey
17-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Last night:
New Lambton v Kahibah:
1st: 2-2
Res: 4-0 New Lambton

from the weekend:
New Lambton v Nelson Bay:
1st: called off due to weather
Res: 3-0 New Lambton

Robbery
17-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Charlestown vs merewether
Reserves 2-1
Firsts 0-5

idontwannaplaywithhowey
17-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Round 19 Last Night

Olympic 2-1 Nelson Bay in both grades

Olympic hitting some form

Robbery
19-05-2018, 09:50 PM
New lambton vs merewether
Reserves 3-0
Firsts 0-1 after 82mins when NL player broke his leg and game called off while the ambo came. Wishing him the best with the surgery and recovery.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
20-05-2018, 07:38 AM
New lambton vs merewether
Reserves 3-0
Firsts 0-1 after 82mins when NL player broke his leg and game called off while the ambo came. Wishing him the best with the surgery and recovery.

Thanks mate.
It isn't a great one obviously, but he was settled in Hospital last night and will have surgery today.
Cheers to the gentleman from Merewether that assisted him whilst awaiting the ambulance, it was very much appreciated.

Kicktheball
05-06-2018, 07:37 AM
Any info on when last weekends washout games will be played?

idontwannaplaywithhowey
05-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Hamilton v New Lambton
1sts 1:1
Res 1:0 New Lambton.
Another ambulance for New Lambton this week, cheers to the Olympic fellas that got straight onto 000 when the severity of the injury became apparent.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
18-06-2018, 09:48 AM
New Lambton v Hunter Simba:
1st: 4-2 New Lambton
Res: 6-2 New Lambton

Robbery
18-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Merewether vs Olympic.
Reserves 1-2
Firsts 9-1, Olympic very short on players currently.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
19-06-2018, 09:51 AM
Merewether vs Olympic.
Reserves 1-2
Firsts 9-1, Olympic very short on players currently.

World Cup?

Robbery
23-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Simba vs merewether
Reserves 2-1
Firsts 3-5

idontwannaplaywithhowey
24-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Charlestown v New Lambton:
1sts: 3-0 New Lambton
Reserves: 1-0 Charlestown

DonPablo
03-07-2018, 09:33 PM
Gee holy whizz, this forum is sleepier than Charlestowns defence!

outsider
14-07-2018, 08:15 PM
MEREWETHER ADVANCE V NEW LAMBTON

FIRST GRADE 2 --3 Entertaining game that one team wanted more than the other
REGGIES 0 --4

The Hacker
11-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Who wins the premiership today. I think Eagles to spoil old boys day

Swanky
11-08-2018, 11:43 PM
Congratulations to New Lambton for winning both minor premierships

idontwannaplaywithhowey
14-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Congratulations to New Lambton for winning both minor premierships

Thanks mate, Obviously we are pretty happy with how the season has gone so far.
Plenty of ups and downs for most teams, with depth impacting quite a few sides at critical times.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
27-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Semi Final Leg #1:
1st Grade: Hunter Simba 2- New Lambton 2.
Simba had a guy (harshly) sent off. Both teams missed penalties.

Reserve Grade: Hamilton Olympic 1- New Lambton 0.

DonPablo
03-09-2018, 09:04 PM
If this thread was any deader, a cemetery might break out!

The Hacker
08-09-2018, 12:07 PM
If this thread was any deader, a cemetery might break out!

It's grand final day and no banter. I got Merewether winning cause Simba are long odds to end the game with 11 players

CrazyZigga
08-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Simba 4-1
NL 2-0

Premy
18-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Anyone able to help me with a contact to both Nelson Bay and Maitland Seniors?
PM me on here or email me at liam.roskell87@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.