PDA

View Full Version : Euro Nations League

boz-monaut
16-10-2018, 06:35 AM
anyone else slowly warming to this weird competition?

It currently Spain 0 England 3 at half time - which is making me question everything

Premy
16-10-2018, 08:08 AM
Possession doesn't mean anything if you don't do anything with it.
Spain underestimated the quality of Rashford, Sterling, Kane and the press of the English midfield. Spains highline in defense is a by product of "tika taka" and Southgate exploited it perfectly.
Throughly professional job from England.

la bazzle
19-10-2018, 09:07 AM
I'm loving the Nations League, it's the lower ranked teams that have been awesome to watch now they have competetive games. Gibraltar's first couple of wins were good fun to watch.

Germany have been painful to watch

goaliepersempre
19-10-2018, 04:49 PM
Germany against france were just woeful up front... should have been 3-4 up going into the second half....

For its first time going I think its taking alot of people time to understand the setup..

But If they keep doing it, long run I think its a good idea... to promote national football teams and for them to play better and in more meaningful games...

the usual always having friendlies doest = pressure of a game with something riding on it...

will make euro nations stronger I think

boz-monaut
19-10-2018, 09:06 PM
the main downside to it I think is a lack of rest time for top players as every weekend is a competitive fixture

plus if Euro teams only ever play other Euro teams then they'll consolidate money and power but it may come at a cost of being a bit samey samey

goaliepersempre
19-10-2018, 09:29 PM
i see your point.. but its up to every nation to choose which players play... i look at the swiss team and we had a changes between game against belgium and Iceland... it allows also to blood younger players in not just a friendly...

Nations still play friendlies and can against other nations in the world... from as far as i know this wont be run every year but just between the 2 qualification rounds for EM and WM etc.

With the promotion and relegation allows for different teams up and down.

Do understand the samey samey but could also allow for innovation

MFKS
19-10-2018, 11:01 PM
i see your point.. but its up to every nation to choose which players play... i look at the swiss team and we had a changes between game against belgium and Iceland... it allows also to blood younger players in not just a friendly...

Nations still play friendlies and can against other nations in the world... from as far as i know this wont be run every year but just between the 2 qualification rounds for EM and WM etc.

With the promotion and relegation allows for different teams up and down.

Do understand the samey samey but could also allow for innovation

Thonk you may find it is a fore runner idea for something

You will get more money out of a league involving NTs than club sides

goaliepersempre
20-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Thonk you may find it is a fore runner idea for something

You will get more money out of a league involving NTs than club sides

Thats the thing, yes national teams in some countries are loved to the be all and end all... but people have more of a connection to actual clubs.....

but then again they dont care about the fans... albeit there is always a turning and over priced point...

MFKS
21-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Thats the thing, yes national teams in some countries are loved to the be all and end all... but people have more of a connection to actual clubs.....

but then again they dont care about the fans... albeit there is always a turning and over priced point...

Clubs dont encompass anything that NTs can do

No matter what the Jets do the Socceroos can pull me further than dynamite can blow me

Just ask the Croationbs out there what the last WC run was like for them??

boz-monaut
19-11-2018, 07:27 AM
this is turning out to be quite exciting after all

I'd thought the three team leagues was a crap idea but as the England Croatia game showed it leads to high drama

I'd actually like to see Asia do something similar (split between East Asia and West Asia preferably)

Jeterpool
19-11-2018, 08:24 AM
this is turning out to be quite exciting after all

I'd thought the three team leagues was a crap idea but as the England Croatia game showed it leads to high drama

I'd actually like to see Asia do something similar (split between East Asia and West Asia preferably)

There was a great deal riding on that game. Win and you go to the finals. Lose or Draw and you're relegated. Talk about pressure.

Premy
19-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Within the space of 27 minutes it went from Croatia going through to Spain going through to England going through.
Spain absolutely bottled it and Loven made a fool of himself, great scenes all round.

How good was Ethan Ampadu dishing out his justice in the Welsh game.

goaliepersempre
19-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Awesome come from behind win by the swiss last night against belgium.... needed to win by plus 2 goals... smashed 5-2