PDA

View Full Version : 2019 NPL Youth

boz-monaut
07-01-2019, 07:57 PM
discussion here

Hunter403
03-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Round 1 this weekend.
Great to see Charlestown 16s win first up. That team has struggled to win games for 4 years.

hamburgler
03-03-2019, 08:13 AM
Round 1 this weekend.
Great to see Charlestown 16s win first up. That team has struggled to win games for 4 years.

Maitland really struggling in youth grades again this year based on yesterday’s results

LongSufferingFan
03-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Maitland really struggling in youth grades again this year based on yesterday’s results

Really???
Maitland 15s 3-0 winners over Charlie.
What does that say about CCB.

Hunter403
04-03-2019, 06:15 AM
Olympic had a good weekend.
Jaffas 15s on song and their 16s kept rolling on.
Some good football out there

Texas Ranger
04-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Really???
Maitland 15s 3-0 winners over Charlie.
What does that say about CCB.
It says they won 3 out of 4 and not 4 out of 4, and by some pretty big scores in the younger ages too.

Aegon
23-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Hamilton Olympic seem to be killing it in the 13's and 14's.

Both have won 7 in a row with 46 and 54 goal differential already.

Hamilton are doing something right at the youth level.

Aegon
23-04-2019, 10:56 AM

Maitland youth definitely better than last year. The 14's and 15's both doing ok, probably mid table team. It's still an improvement.

They seem to be have pretty decent SAP teams as well which bodes well for the future.

Negative Police
23-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Hamilton Olympic seem to be killing it in the 13's and 14's.

Both have won 7 in a row with 46 and 54 goal differential already.

Hamilton are doing something right at the youth level.

Recruitment working really well there. Who is the forward with 26 goals in 14's?

plague
23-04-2019, 11:33 AM
They seem to be have pretty decent SAP teams as well which bodes well for the future.

havent seen them play this year. Last year they were a pretty 'physical' side to say the least. Was a good learning experience for their opponents. They were good kids though so yeah if they have improved this year then thats the whole point of the program.

Aegon
23-04-2019, 11:37 AM
havent seen them play this year. Last year they were a pretty 'physical' side to say the least. Was a good learning experience for their opponents. They were good kids though so yeah if they have improved this year then thats the whole point of the program.

I think the 9's teams have been competitive and even beating some of the teams like Edgie & Magic. Haven't seen enough of the 10's to know their results.

Retired01
23-04-2019, 11:39 AM
I saw the Hamilton vs Broadmeadow SAP games last week. Hamilton are once again the teams to beat
Broadmeadow were very impressive too. It was an amazing game and those clubs are doing something right. All 4 of those teams were a step above any other Ive seen this year

Aegon
23-04-2019, 11:47 AM
I saw the Hamilton vs Broadmeadow SAP games last week. Hamilton are once again the teams to beat
Broadmeadow were very impressive too. It was an amazing game and those clubs are doing something right. All 4 of those teams were a step above any other Ive seen this year

Was that in both the 9's and 10's? One of the 10's Olympic teams have one boy who is probably the best player I have seen at this level.

The Jaffas games vs Olympic were great to watch. Not sure what all the "results" were but it was very evenly contested.

The best 9's team I have seen so far was the Lake Macquarie Blue team.

Retired01
23-04-2019, 12:00 PM
From what I'm told Lake Macquarie have a team which pretty much were able to play 9s again. That's great as they did it tough last year and now get the rewards. I don't watch a lot of 9s as we are in the 10s

I saw a boy in the Olympic vs Broadmeadow game last week. Whack a ball top corner with his right foot and then 15 minutes later do it with his left foot from 10m out. Keeper could only watch both times. I was sitting near the teams parents and they weren't surprised at all. I stood there having my WOW moment and he just jogged back to halfway without a care in the world. There are some great kids out there. I have found myself going out of my way to watch other clubs a lot more between our games this year.

plague
23-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Yes, last year it was Hamilton/Magic/Jaffas clearly the better 3 clubs.

Below them were Valentine, Edgeworth and New Lambton.

Have heard this year that New Lambton and Valentine are better again.
I wouldnt be surprised if they drew the line under these clubs (and maybe Maitland if they are good this year) and kept them playing each other.

Aegon
23-04-2019, 01:32 PM
From what I'm told Lake Macquarie have a team which pretty much were able to play 9s again. That's great as they did it tough last year and now get the rewards. I don't watch a lot of 9s as we are in the 10s

I saw a boy in the Olympic vs Broadmeadow game last week. Whack a ball top corner with his right foot and then 15 minutes later do it with his left foot from 10m out. Keeper could only watch both times. I was sitting near the teams parents and they weren't surprised at all. I stood there having my WOW moment and he just jogged back to halfway without a care in the world. There are some great kids out there. I have found myself going out of my way to watch other clubs a lot more between our games this year.

Yup, totally agree. Watching kids at this age gives you hope for the future.

plague
23-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Do Jets youth play in this comp? If so how do they go vs club teams?

Hunter403
23-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Jets youth play in all NPL grades but a year up. eg, Jets 15s play in 16s comp.

They usually do mid to upper table or higher. 14s and 15s are a bit of a struggle usually as the year older boys often have size on their side.

No idea if Jets are in SAP, but would guess not.

plague
23-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Jets youth play in all NPL grades but a year up. eg, Jets 15s play in 16s comp.

They usually do mid to upper table or higher. 14s and 15s are a bit of a struggle usually as the year older boys often have size on their side.

interesting. cheers.
would have thought the 'elite' of these age groups (even taking into account the 12 month gap) would be far more talented.
hopefully thats more of a credit to the NPL clubs than a critisism of the Jets.

Anyone know if the Jets reassess their teams every year? as in do the NPL kids have a realistic chance of making the Jets each year if they stand out or is it a bit of a closed shop?

Negative Police
23-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Do Jets youth play in this comp? If so how do they go vs club teams?

EJets girls yes. EJets 11s boys play in the 12's metro Sap

Negative Police
23-04-2019, 03:57 PM
interesting. cheers.
would have thought the 'elite' of these age groups (even taking into account the 12 month gap) would be far more talented.

Anyone know if the Jets reassess their teams every year? as in do the NPL kids have a realistic chance of making the Jets each year if they stand out or is it a bit of a closed shop?

3 of the last years Lambton 13's are in the Jets 14's this year - playing in the 15's npl -

ForeverRed
23-04-2019, 04:23 PM
There’s plenty that have been asked to play with jets but prefer to stick with there clubs for some reason

plague
23-04-2019, 04:33 PM
3 of the last years Lambton 13's are in the Jets 14's this year - playing in the 15's npl -

cheers. good to know.

plague
23-04-2019, 04:40 PM
There’s plenty that have been asked to play with jets but prefer to stick with there clubs for some reason

yeah the limited amount ive watched junior Jets this year its stood out to me how 'similar' all the players are. this looks good when you are playing at a high tempo on a slick surface and you boss possession. can only imagine out and out 'defenders' dont get the same opportunities as the skill kids at the early ages. Prob only later in their development when they start facing bigger stronger kids that a lumbering oaf of a defender (yes im being a bit silly but you get what i mean) is probably more of a necessity.

it just made me think, as the more successful of the 2 young kids that the Jets have brought in (from different youth clubs of course) in Champness and Jackson seem very very different players. There are a lot of Champness' in the Jets kids, but no Jacksons. Yet by the time they get to the jets they are both considered valuable.

would love to know at what age Jackson got into the youth setup.

Negative Police
23-04-2019, 08:58 PM
yeah the limited amount ive watched junior Jets this year its stood out to me how 'similar' all the players are. this looks good when you are playing at a high tempo on a slick surface and you boss possession. can only imagine out and out 'defenders' dont get the same opportunities as the skill kids at the early ages. Prob only later in their development when they start facing bigger stronger kids that a lumbering oaf of a defender (yes im being a bit silly but you get what i mean) is probably more of a necessity.

it just made me think, as the more successful of the 2 young kids that the Jets have brought in (from different youth clubs of course) in Champness and Jackson seem very very different players. There are a lot of Champness' in the Jets kids, but no Jacksons. Yet by the time they get to the jets they are both considered valuable.

would love to know at what age Jackson got into the youth setup.

Saw some academy stuff

Former Buderim junior Lachlan Jackson, who spent time in Coast representative teams as a junior, as well as at the Queensland Academy of Sport and three years in the Roar system, said he was hoping to find more opportunities at the Jets, after he found himself stuck behind a plethora of centre-backs in Brisbane.

Hunter403
24-04-2019, 04:26 PM
interesting. cheers.

In theory yes. In practice I have my doubts. I'll give you an example:
There was a kid in my son's NPL side in 2017 that is now playing in his second season with the Mariner's youth programme in the Sydney NPL. He has been selected to train / trial with the u16 national side. He didn't make it.

While in the Newcastle NPL side, his club side came 3rd or 4th but won the grand final. No one from the Jets set up spoke to him and apart from games against the Jets I don't recall ever seeing a Jets rep at any game (admittedly I may simply have not seen them). The Mariners had a coach at at least 3 of my son's games and spoke to him at length.

In my view, the kid was a substantially better player than the kid the Jets had in the same role.

Interestingly, the only changes that occurred to the Jets side that year were two kids that were in the side that topped the table.

The general consensus amongst the parents I know at various clubs is that the Jets take a look at the top of the table side late in the year to see if anyone is better than what they have and that is about it. I hope it is changing under the Jets stewardship from what NNSW were doing when they ran it.

Will my son's mate make it to A League? Possibly. He is apparently highly thought of at the Mariners, but at 15 who knows what could happen in the next 2 years.

Jets Youth are a bit like the Aussie cricket team: harder to get out than get in

Negative Police
24-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Interestingly, the only changes that occurred to the Jets side that year were two kids that were in the side that topped the table.
The general consensus amongst the parents I know at various clubs is that the Jets take a look at the top of the table side late in the year to see if anyone is better than what they have and that is about it. I hope it is changing under the Jets stewardship from what NNSW were doing when they ran it.

Jets Youth are a bit like the Aussie cricket team: harder to get out than get in

Makes sense. The 3 players from Jaffs were in a team that finished top.

If there were too many changes it would make the Jets recruitment look bad. They may stick with the choices and not want to lose the investment in time they already have.

I still believe there may be some families that are close knit to the organisation and that may assist the odd player with similar ability or if the team is weak in that position.

And dont forget dollars. Highest around for the age group that Ive heard.

Aegon
26-04-2019, 10:35 AM
And dont forget dollars. Highest around for the age group that Ive heard.

Is that compared against the other A league juniors or against the other NPL teams here in Newcastle?

I'm just interested what the prices are at that level.

Negative Police
26-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Is that compared against the other A league juniors or against the other NPL teams here in Newcastle?

I'm just interested what the prices are at that level.

Nah, just the local area. Ive heard that the younger EJ are over $2k. You'd think Sydney academies would be more but Ive not done the research.

hamburgler
27-04-2019, 10:30 PM
I see Olympic youth defeated Mid North Coast by a combined 38 goals scored to one conceded across the 4 youth grades.

MNC used to be competitive but what the hell has happened?

Aegon
28-04-2019, 08:26 PM
I see Olympic youth defeated Mid North Coast by a combined 38 goals scored to one conceded across the 4 youth grades.

MNC seem to be competitive in some of the grades. I think it’s more a testament of how good the Olympic Youth set-up is.

Hunter403
29-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Word is that a significant number of kids pulled the pin this years as a result of the travelling. Even worse for the FNC kids but they seem to be managing better. Maybe there are some pointers FNC can give MNC.

Retired01
29-04-2019, 12:46 PM
MNC seem to be competitive in some of the grades. I think it’s more a testament of how good the Olympic Youth set-up is.

So what does Hamilton do that others aren't?
Why does everyone see them as the benchmark?

We obviously discuss it amongst our parents when we come up against them in 10s. But its across the board

Aegon
29-04-2019, 01:30 PM
So what does Hamilton do that others aren't?
Why does everyone see them as the benchmark?

We obviously discuss it amongst our parents when we come up against them in 10s. But its across the board

I think initially it is a larger player pool to select from, after that the club has a good reputation for coaching and supporting their youth players.

You have to think, up until recently Hamilton would get a lot of the Newcastle (or NNSWF) SAP team players coming to them in Under 13 NPL. On top of that they also had players from some of the Newcastle clubs that don't have NPL teams (Cooks Hill, Merewether, Mayfield, Stockton, etc, etc) trying out for them as well.

These days with the introduction of the Premier club SAP program, these players will be trialling with them from 8 years of age.

From my own circumstances I was recommended by multiple friends who have or had kids in SAP, NPL, NL1 programs to have my son try out for multiple teams just in case. But when club names were suggested Olympic was always mentioned, the other frequent clubs mentioned were Jaffas, Edgeworth & sometimes Magic (Very polarising opinions on Magic, it was absolutely love or hate them).

As it worked out Olympic and Jaffas held their trials on the same day so I had to choose early, basically came down to the fact Jaffas were closer to home.

Hunter403
29-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Hamilton 13s and 14s and 15s are top. 16s are third. However it is only round 8 of 26.
Hamilton have, over the years, always recruited well out of Newcastle Football's SAP/NET programmes often getting the lion's share of kids and they appear (from the outside) to be a well run and well coached club. No idea on how things are internally, but Hamilton's results over the years make them a club of choice for a lot of kids.

They also have a great canteen!!

The Magician
29-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Hamilton 13s and 14s and 15s are top. 16s are third. However it is only round 8 of 26.
Hamilton have, over the years, always recruited well out of Newcastle Football's SAP/NET programmes often getting the lion's share of kids and they appear (from the outside) to be a well run and well coached club. No idea on how things are internally, but Hamilton's results over the years make them a club of choice for a lot of kids.

They also have a great canteen!!

Hamilton and Jaffas get 90% of the NF Net kids...

Hamilton have provided the Newcastle NET with training equipment every year in exchange for preference. Also as of 2019 the NET TD now runs the SAP of Jaffas and Olympic.

Magic holds their own, when the NET is dissolved next year Olympic will have to develop their own 12s... and currently in the SAP over the last 2 year's no Olympic SAP has beaten a Magic SAP.

In the end toast the players that make it from SAP to NPL 16's with the one club. MAGIC has one of the highest retention rates for player registrations carrying over at 83% so it must not be that bad... some of the "top" clubs last season only kept 3/16 players in some grades.

plague
29-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Also as of 2019 the NET TD now runs the SAP of Jaffas and Olympic.

yeah this was a weird one when i heard it.
because when we were sold on SAP, it was made clear that this program was to be run by the individual clubs, and away from the NET program.
to have them all getting back under the same umbrella with the same dude seems to be against the intentions of NNSW.

Aegon
29-04-2019, 08:23 PM

Hamilton have provided the Newcastle NET with training equipment every year in exchange for preference. Also as of 2019 the NET TD now runs the SAP of Jaffas and Olympic.

Magic holds their own, when the NET is dissolved next year Olympic will have to develop their own 12s... and currently in the SAP over the last 2 year's no Olympic SAP has beaten a Magic SAP.

In the end toast the players that make it from SAP to NPL 16's with the one club. MAGIC has one of the highest retention rates for player registrations carrying over at 83% so it must not be that bad... some of the "top" clubs last season only kept 3/16 players in some grades.

Beaten? Not to burst your bubble but there are no results.

At this age isn’t it about developing the players and not the score?

Games could be “won” at these age groups by playing long balls constantly down the middle to an “offside” player.

Aegon
29-04-2019, 08:29 PM
because when we were sold on SAP, it was made clear that this program was to be run by the individual clubs, and away from the NET program.
to have them all getting back under the same umbrella with the same dude seems to be against the intentions of NNSW.

The way it was explained to parents was twofold.

1- The need for ground space for training and games.

2- Leveraging off Newcastle Football’s TD’s experience in early player development.

As I understand it, Newcastle Football reached out to other clubs from the Newcastle association extending the same offer as they did to Olympic and Jaffa’s but were declined.

Goatscheese
29-04-2019, 09:03 PM

Well Northern didn't want NET at all it was a NF initiative

Negative Police
29-04-2019, 11:09 PM
Beaten? Not to burst your bubble but there are no results.

At this age isn’t it about developing the players and not the score?

Games could be “won” at these age groups by playing long balls constantly down the middle to an “offside” player.

A sad example of the culture there. Who would be bothered counting over 2 years?

Other clubs have beaten them with their own grown SAP teams but dont worry they dont care.

Negative Police
29-04-2019, 11:12 PM
The way it was explained to parents was twofold.

1- The need for ground space for training and games.

2- Leveraging off Newcastle Football’s TD’s experience in early player development.

As I understand it, Newcastle Football reached out to other clubs from the Newcastle association extending the same offer as they did to Olympic and Jaffa’s but were declined.

I wonder why NNSW are happy with leveraging Newcastle's TD experience. Must have buried the hatchet and moved on.

plague
30-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Well Northern didn't want NET at all it was a NF initiative

Oh for sure I understand this seems to all be a bigger issue between NNSW and our man at Wallarah.
I've never met him so will not speak about him, other than to say anyone that does speak about him generally have strong opinions (both good and bad).
But plenty of people on here are bemoaning the fact that our kids aren't making it to the highest level. So if there's another program available that has their own lofty goals then that 'should' be a good thing.
It seems though that the 2 programs are already blurring the lines, if that's for the betterment of the kids, then awesome. If it's not, then that's not so awesome.

Aegon
30-04-2019, 09:04 AM
I wonder why NNSW are happy with leveraging Newcastle's TD experience. Must have buried the hatchet and moved on.

Northern weren't involved with it at all. Clubs approached NF or vice versa.

Aegon
30-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Oh for sure I understand this seems to all be a bigger issue between NNSW and our man at Wallarah.
I've never met him so will not speak about him, other than to say anyone that does speak about him generally have strong opinions (both good and bad).
But plenty of people on here are bemoaning the fact that our kids aren't making it to the highest level. So if there's another program available that has their own lofty goals then that 'should' be a good thing.
It seems though that the 2 programs are already blurring the lines, if that's for the betterment of the kids, then awesome. If it's not, then that's not so awesome.

Speaking 2nd, 3rd or maybe even 4th hand here.

The way the NET vs SAP things was explained to me was this:

SAP ran firstly as a 10-12 YO development program where the associations (Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Hunter Valley) selected then ran a team (or 2?). These teams then played each other every weekend along with Emerging Jets and North Coast teams maybe?

Newcastle Football didn't like the program as in their opinion it was not developing enough talent early enough to feed into the NPL clubs. NF pulled the pin on the SAp program as they and Northern couldn't agree. Newcastle started the NET program (11's and 12's I think) for all Newcastle Football clubs, not just the premier clubs. Northern then directly ran its own SAP teams in place of the Newcastle team. I think the last is stil happening in 11's and 12's this year and next.

The change to the premier club SAP program is almost a hybrid of both. More clubs so more players being developed earlier but following similar curriculum to the SAP training. Also supposed to have the benefit of a distinct pathway from SAP - NPL Youth - NPL at the same club, how this works in practice is still yet to be seen.

Within 2 years there won't be Association SAP or NET programs. Just the premier SAP. We'll just have to wait and see in the coming years if it is an improvement over the past programs?

Retired01
30-04-2019, 11:43 AM

As I said yesterday I make certain I don't post any unsolicited comments in here and this one caught my eye so I did some research.
Called a friend who has a boy playing for Hamilton 10s SAP.
Only last weekend
Hamilton 2 wins
Magic 1 win
Drawn 1

Last Season his sons team only lost once in all 4 games to Magic. Newcastle is a small community magician. Don't make sh!t up.

On a positive note it was mentioned that the weaker Magic team last season are by far the better football playing team this year.

plague
30-04-2019, 03:15 PM
On a positive note it was mentioned that the weaker Magic team last season are by far the better football playing team this year.

I've watched a few teams this year, and all of them last year. The better Magic team and the better Olympic team have the best collection of individuals in the program. There are def kids 'as good' as most of them playing for other teams, but as a collection i think those 2 have the best talent.

Ive also seen both these teams 'get beat' and saw one of them played off the park a few weeks back.

but the objective of the program is to get the most talented kids and make them more talented (at this age). The games/scores/systems/style/tactics etc arent supposed to matter.

So id still contend Olympic and Magic are doing the program the best.

Now, some of these other teams that have good kids, and play really well as teams, and 'win' a fair majority of their games, and it will be dope if they all hang in there til 12/13/14 or whenever because they wont get picked for the Jets, but there will be at least 6 clubs capable of consistently playing the E-Jets and beating them.

From there, we'll see how kids respond to pressure/tactics/systems etc and if the boffins are smart they'll reset it again and pick the absolute best of that whole NPL talent and build a solid A-League level future.

Aegon
30-04-2019, 04:03 PM
For anyone interested:
9's Olympic are playing 9's Jaffas SAP at Wallarah Oval on Sunday 9am.

The games were extremely well played last time out. Great to see what the kids are already playing like at this level. Gives you hope for the future.

Negative Police
03-05-2019, 05:39 PM
Northern weren't involved with it at all. Clubs approached NF or vice versa.

Well SAP is a Northern operative and some clubs are syncing with NF facilities and coaches which I find is a positive thing.

As for $$ being a problem. Can nnsw have scholarships where rego can be partly subsidised. Im sure the criteria would be a can of worms.

Aegon
06-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Well SAP is a Northern operative and some clubs are syncing with NF facilities and coaches which I find is a positive thing.

As for $$ being a problem. Can nnsw have scholarships where rego can be partly subsidised. Im sure the criteria would be a can of worms.

I'm not sure if the Talent Support Program is subsidised or if it requires substantial payment?
https://northernnswfootball.com.au/talent-support-program-kicks-off-for-future-footballers/
Last year it was just 13's and 14's. I know 10's have also been incorporated into it this year but not sure about what the long term scope of the initiative is?

JettyJet
07-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Maybe $200 max.

Aegon
14-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Hamilton Olympic youth played the Jets youth teams this weekend in what was a top of the table clash in nearly every age.

13's
Jets 2-1

14's
Olympic 5-1

15's
Olympic 6-3

16's
Olympic 3-2

Great results for Hamilton, It's a bit concerning that a couple of the jets teams capitulated once they were down though.

plague
14-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Hamilton Olympic youth played the Jets youth teams this weekend in what was a top of the table clash in nearly every age.

13's
Jets 2-1

14's
Olympic 5-1

15's
Olympic 6-3

16's
Olympic 3-2

Great results for Hamilton, It's a bit concerning that a couple of the jets teams capitulated once they were down though.

are these Jets kids the same age as olympic?

Aegon
14-05-2019, 10:04 AM
are these Jets kids the same age as olympic?

An age group younger in each division.
i.e. Jets start at Under 12's in NPL Youth 13's.
In the 18's and 20's comp the Jets field 16's and 18's respectively.
I don't know the rules for the Jets Youth team in the NPL.

Bremsstrahlung
15-05-2019, 08:51 AM
I don't know the rules for the Jets Youth team in the NPL.

Nobody does, NNSWF included.

Hunter403
17-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Has anyone been involved with the proposed NPL/NEWFM Youth proposals for next year? I saw David Eland's comments in the NMH

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/6109395/northern-nsw-npl-challenge-ahead-to-find-right-mix-for-2020-and-beyond/?cs=6188

and thought his comments toward the end of the article about decoupling the youth from the seniors to be generally the opposite of the conversations I have had with people at NPL and NEWFM clubs.

Imagine a scenario where relegation and promotion exists between NPL1 and NPL2 (NEWFM). Picture an NPL1 club where the youth teams are all very 'successful' but first grade comes last and gets demoted. Would those kids stay and be relegated? Doubtful. However, if the current NPL and NEWFM youth clubs all go into one pot, promotion and relegation will be of no consequence in this development league and kids might be less likely to jump clubs. Admittedly, in the short term there would be some massive score blowouts, but if all NPL and NEWFM are forced to run SAP programmes, the levels should begin to get more balanced over 4 or 5 years (as the kids from the u9 SAP filter through to the youth league).

The other concept in the article of splitting the existing comps mid season into 2 halves based on mid season table ranking seems crazy for a whole lot of reasons including clubs being affected by injury, illness, new (and perhaps more effective) coaching, teams getting better when they play stronger teams etc etc.

Interested in any opinions that might be out there.

Negative Police
17-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Has anyone been involved with the proposed NPL/NEWFM Youth proposals for next year? I saw David Eland's comments in the NMH

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/6109395/northern-nsw-npl-challenge-ahead-to-find-right-mix-for-2020-and-beyond/?cs=6188

and thought his comments toward the end of the article about decoupling the youth from the seniors to be generally the opposite of the conversations I have had with people at NPL and NEWFM clubs.

It does say no clubs want decoupling of youth leagues from their senior but i cant see why not reward npl1 clubs who do take youth seriously.

As far as Npl goes if we cant get the 22 teams for promotion relegation than throw all eligible teams in npl capped at 14 if possible.

Maybe have a playoff system if other teams get their npl licence in the future to decide who goes in for that year.

plague
17-05-2019, 09:43 PM
Interesting, can see both sides here. Why reward teams that have good 1st grade but ignore youth, but why punish the youth if 1st grade has one bad year.

Maybe a criteria for promorion/relegation can be a club championship type points system across all grades?

Hunter403
17-05-2019, 10:06 PM
Its not an easy one. Consider also the points value of juniors that come through the ranks into senior football.

I think I would like to see an NPL 1 and 2 comprising 3 senior grades with promotion and relegation and all youth teams from both NPL1 and 2 in one comp, maybe divided into two sections in which membership varies each year. I think being in the NPL and NEWFM (NPL2) should have compulsory SAP as part of the deal.

Aegon
20-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Interesting, can see both sides here. Why reward teams that have good 1st grade but ignore youth, but why punish the youth if 1st grade has one bad year.

Maybe a criteria for promorion/relegation can be a club championship type points system across all grades?

This is actually a good idea. So Northern will never let it happen.

Aegon
20-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Its not an easy one. Consider also the points value of juniors that come through the ranks into senior football.

I think I would like to see an NPL 1 and 2 comprising 3 senior grades with promotion and relegation and all youth teams from both NPL1 and 2 in one comp, maybe divided into two sections in which membership varies each year. I think being in the NPL and NEWFM (NPL2) should have compulsory SAP as part of the deal.

I'm not pretending to have any idea of how to solve this, however on your last point, I agree that the intention should be for every NPL club, be it NPL 1 or 2, should have a SAP program in place. This though would require a change in current concept in 9's and 10's. I know some current NPL clubs already struggle to field 2 teams let alone some of the smaller NL1 (NPL2) clubs. They may need to reduce all clubs down to one team so that there are more players available to trial elsewhere.

Hunter403
20-05-2019, 03:05 PM
I'm not pretending to have any idea of how to solve this, however on your last point, I agree that the intention should be for every NPL club, be it NPL 1 or 2, should have a SAP program in place. This though would require a change in current concept in 9's and 10's. I know some current NPL clubs already struggle to field 2 teams let alone some of the smaller NL1 (NPL2) clubs. They may need to reduce all clubs down to one team so that there are more players available to trial elsewhere.

You could well be right on numbers and concept. I wonder though, how many people are out there that are ignorant of the SAP programmes. There could well be suitable candidates out there whose parents have never heard of it. NNSW has every player's DOB and email address (or their parent/guardian) so surely NNSW could do far more and with relative ease to promote the SAP. I have suggested that idea to them in the past with a nil response.

Same applies to the NEWFM youth comp. Some of those NEWFM clubs can barely field sides in some ages. Wallsend 14s have just dropped out mid season. Last year, Awaba couldn't field a 15's side.

Why? Is it cost? Is it lack of visibility to the public?

Aegon
20-05-2019, 03:17 PM
You could well be right on numbers and concept. I wonder though, how many people are out there that are ignorant of the SAP programmes. There could well be suitable candidates out there whose parents have never heard of it. NNSW has every player's DOB and email address (or their parent/guardian) so surely NNSW could do far more and with relative ease to promote the SAP. I have suggested that idea to them in the past with a nil response.

Same applies to the NEWFM youth comp. Some of those NEWFM clubs can barely field sides in some ages. Wallsend 14s have just dropped out mid season. Last year, Awaba couldn't field a 15's side.

Why? Is it cost? Is it lack of visibility to the public?

100% agree with your sentiment. The only reason i found out about SAP for Aegon jr was by friends with older boys telling me he should try out for it. Although they were still thinking about the metro program. Had I not searched, i would never have known about it.

Northern should do a lot more to promote it.

On the flipside, we came from a junior club of about 300-400 kids and I do think 4 of the top 5 U/8 boys at the club joined SAP teams.

londonboy
03-06-2019, 09:11 PM
A big problem for SAP are the clubs themselves. They often have trials on the same night as each other, forcing kids/parents to choose the club they want to try out for. Then, if an offer is made, they give you 24 hours to decide.

I honestly think clubs should be forced to have trials on separate nights and kids be encouraged to trial at as many as they like. Or, maybe even joint trials across a couple of weeks, held somewhere like Wallarah. Clubs can then choose the kids they want, and kids have a choice. It’ll force the clubs to work harder for the kids and will also give the smaller clubs a better chance at recruiting. I heard Wallsend held U9 SAP trials weeks after the rest and had three kids show up. Presumably all the other kids had gone elsewhere by then.

Aegon
04-06-2019, 09:08 AM
A big problem for SAP are the clubs themselves. They often have trials on the same night as each other, forcing kids/parents to choose the club they want to try out for. Then, if an offer is made, they give you 24 hours to decide.

I honestly think clubs should be forced to have trials on separate nights and kids be encouraged to trial at as many as they like. Or, maybe even joint trials across a couple of weeks, held somewhere like Wallarah. Clubs can then choose the kids they want, and kids have a choice. It’ll force the clubs to work harder for the kids and will also give the smaller clubs a better chance at recruiting. I heard Wallsend held U9 SAP trials weeks after the rest and had three kids show up. Presumably all the other kids had gone elsewhere by then.

I heard very similar to what you said above - The teams who trialled late had way less players attend. Some clubs had to run secondary trials to try and get more kids.

Also, agree about clubs trialling the same night or same week. I had shortlisted 4 clubs for Aegon jr to trial at. 3 of them had trials in one week. I had to scratch 1 club straight away and get him to trial at only 2 of them. Both the clubs he trialled at had 50-60 boys in attendance.

Hunter403
04-06-2019, 03:31 PM

Impossible for the clubs to coordinate this amongst themselves.

The only way to get around this issue would be to run a huge trial session(s) under the control of NNSW and run it like a draft where all the clubs attend top take their pick. Would it work? Probably not as it would be a nightmare to coordinate and you can imagine the "I saw him first" arguments

Negative Police
05-06-2019, 09:23 PM
Impossible for the clubs to coordinate this amongst themselves.

The only way to get around this issue would be to run a huge trial session(s) under the control of NNSW and run it like a draft where all the clubs attend top take their pick. Would it work? Probably not as it would be a nightmare to coordinate and you can imagine the "I saw him first" arguments

That would be nightmare but very interesting.

Im sure some club staff might already be interested in kids at other clubs. I didnt completely hear the whole conversation though.

Negative Police
05-06-2019, 09:24 PM
I know some current NPL clubs already struggle to field 2 teams let alone some of the smaller NL1 (NPL2) clubs. They may need to reduce all clubs down to one team so that there are more players available to trial elsewhere.

I feel if a club can get 2 competitive teams than so be it. I now do not like the A B concept where the B is weak. That is a farce.

Negative Police
08-06-2019, 08:05 PM
draft draw round 2 done. not sure when being sent

Goatscheese
10-06-2019, 10:03 AM
U16 Charlestown City Blues lost to the Jets side 22-0

Not a good look for the competition

hamburgler
10-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Agree.

Although Charlestown not the worst side in that comp, have won 4 from 14 and are clearly better than bottom 2 sides.

May be reasons, players away, injured etc., but that is a real flogging!

Bull fighter
10-06-2019, 05:07 PM

Not good for either team, wonder if Jets coach kept foot down or not

Aegon
11-06-2019, 08:38 AM
draft draw round 2 done. not sure when being sent

I've reviewed the draw - They've definitely split the comp but I can't tell where the split has occurred. Aegon Jr's team only play 7 other clubs and play 4 clubs twice, however some of clubs they play have games against clubs that Jr's team hasn't played all season.
Not complaining at all though, the clubs Jr will play against will all be very competitive games played at a high standard. Better for all the kids development in my opinion.

Jim
15-06-2019, 11:34 PM
Agree.

Although Charlestown not the worst side in that comp, have won 4 from 14 and are clearly better than bottom 2 sides.

May be reasons, players away, injured etc., but that is a real flogging!

Heard coach sacked. Major squad trouble etc. Someone confirm.

Hunter403
16-06-2019, 07:03 AM
Heard coach sacked. Major squad trouble etc. Someone confirm.

They've dropped a significant number of kids from that team every season from under 13 through til now. Never persevered with kids. I was told by one one the players that the coach told the boys at halftime that if they did not improve don't bother coming back. Maybe he meant it, maybe it was a tool to motivate them. Who knows, but probably not the best way to encourage 15 year olds.

Not sure if the coach was sacked but i believe he was removed as TD because he has no B licence.

Jim
16-06-2019, 03:37 PM
They've dropped a significant number of kids from that team every season from under 13 through til now. Never persevered with kids. I was told by one one the players that the coach told the boys at halftime that if they did not improve don't bother coming back. Maybe he meant it, maybe it was a tool to motivate them. Who knows, but probably not the best way to encourage 15 year olds.

Not sure if the coach was sacked but i believe he was removed as TD because he has no B licence.

Not good. Must be difficult to turnaround mid season. importance of keeping teams together cant be underestimated

londonboy
16-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Yes, it very clear the draw has been split based on results of the 1st round of games. I wonder if this will become a trend for next season - perhaps some kind of SAP1 and SAP2 system?

Does anyone know if there will be new teams added next year? Hunter Valley team? Cooks Hill?

Negative Police
16-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Yes, it very clear the draw has been split based on results of the 1st round of games. I wonder if this will become a trend for next season - perhaps some kind of SAP1 and SAP2 system?

Does anyone know if there will be new teams added next year? Hunter Valley team? Cooks Hill?

Still applies only to NPL & NPL1 clubs although it's not compulsory. There's an U10 HV girls team already playing in U9.

Only guessing but if maybe there are too many clubs they might make it 1 team per club just like the 11's will be next year. Would be more competitive for mine

Negative Police
16-06-2019, 11:29 PM

Charly then had a 0-0 with magic the next week. wow

Aegon
16-06-2019, 11:53 PM
Still applies only to NPL & NPL1 clubs although it's not compulsory. There's an U10 HV girls team already playing in U9.

Only guessing but if maybe there are too many clubs they might make it 1 team per club just like the 11's will be next year. Would be more competitive for mine

From what I have been told, clubs have the choice to enter 1 or 2 teams in under 11 SAP next year.

Negative Police
16-06-2019, 11:58 PM
From what I have been told, clubs have the choice to enter 1 or 2 teams in under 11 SAP next year.

interesting.

The more I see the more i feel there should be 1 team per club but ensure all npl clubs enter including girls teams.

Thats at least 25 to 30 teams

Aegon
17-06-2019, 12:02 AM
interesting.

The more I see the more i feel there should be 1 team per club but ensure all npl clubs enter including girls teams.

Thats at least 25 to 30 teams

I tend to agree, however I know the club Jr is at is only opting for 1 team.

I think it will be interesting though in under 12’s if the Jets cherry pick the stronger “clubs” how they will go recruiting replacements if they have dropped kids in the past.

onlooker
17-06-2019, 08:15 AM
Still applies only to NPL & NPL1 clubs although it's not compulsory. There's an U10 HV girls team already playing in U9

HV have two girls teams playing in the sap comps an U/11’s in the U/9’s comp and an U/12’s in the U/10’s comp. Currently HV only keep their girls for two years before they go and trial for the WPL at 13. They are looking into the possibility of changing this and keeping the girls for another year so the step up from small field to full size isn’t as great as it currently is.

Aegon
17-06-2019, 09:26 AM
HV have two girls teams playing in the sap comps an U/11’s in the U/9’s comp

Under 11's in the 9's. Completely makes sense now. Some of our boys looked like dwarves compared to them.

londonboy
17-06-2019, 11:30 AM

Olympic and Magic 9s and 10s played again this past weekend and again there was some great talent on show. Really good matches and some terrific goals. A number of headed goals from corners in the 9s. Unheard of at this age. Great skill across both 9s and 10s.

Goatscheese
17-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Olympic and Magic 9s and 10s played again this past weekends.

Don't they play every weekend?

londonboy
17-06-2019, 08:48 PM
Don't they play every weekend?

Ha ha. Six games per season too much for you??

Negative Police
18-06-2019, 05:50 PM
NPL: Youth development set to stay at local level, but at what cost?

You would be hard pressed to find a football person in the Hunter who doesn't think our best juniors should be competing regularly against the state's elite in Sydney.

But without intervention from FFA, it appears unlikely to happen anytime soon.

The Newcastle Jets Youth team and underpinning sides have been competing against clubs in the Northern NSW state league/NPL since 2012. Younger teams play a year or two up in the NPL Youth.

Their female counterparts, though, have been in Sydney's NSW NPL Women's competition since 2015.

NNSW Football and the Jets have lobbied Football NSW for the boys to follow suit and join Central Coast, Western Sydney and Sydney FC with youth teams in the metropolitan league.

However, the addition of the Jets would invariably mean another club missing out. Politics and restructures - the NSW NPL men's will expand to include a fourth division in 2020 - have left Newcastle out of the equation.

Jets chief and youth coach Lawrie McKinna discussed a potential move with Football NSW last year. McKinna would welcome a spot in NPL 2, where Central Coast Mariners and Western Sydney Wanderers academies compete, but he said "nothing had changed".

"We spoke about it the year before, but we would need to come in too far down the leagues," McKinna said.

"It wasn't even offered, it was just spoken about, that we maybe would have to come in at the fourth division and work our way up. By the time you do that, you might lose four or five years development so it's maybe too big a hike."

The short-term pain, though, could be worth the long-term gain.

Sydney's NPL Youth 1 and 2 leagues are packed with 26 and 18 teams respectively. In the NNSW NPL, the Jets sides play a year up in under 13, 14, 15 and 16 groups, and two years higher in the under 18s and 20s, in an attempt to improve competition.

It has brought mixed results and arguably poor returns in player development when compared to eras before the A-League when the Hunter's best prospects had weekly competition outside the region instead of now playing local clubs and in an eight-game summer NYL.

This year, the Jets under 12s have won 14 of 15 games in NPL under-13s, scoring 117 goals and conceding 13. The under 15s have scored 89 goals and let in 20 in the under 16s. They recently beat Charlestown 22-0.

"We play a year up now, it's competitive, but some of the games blow out," McKinna said. "When you look at the girls program, we get double the amount in the national teams identification process than we have with the boys and you can attribute that maybe to the girls playing in Sydney."...nh

hmmm So we actually tried

Reds Forever
18-06-2019, 07:26 PM
hmmm So we actually tried

Doesn't sound like we tried hard enough. Needed to be knocking on the door constantly. Not just speaking about it last year, that means we have done nothing for last 6 months.

Plus, surely starting at bottom of NSW leagues is better then winning games 22-0 in local league.

Negative Police
18-06-2019, 07:52 PM
Doesn't sound like we tried hard enough. Needed to be knocking on the door constantly. Not just speaking about it last year, that means we have done nothing for last 6 months.

Plus, surely starting at bottom of NSW leagues is better then winning games 22-0 in local league.

got that right. We need to be there.

Hunter403
18-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Amazing, Sydney has 3 NPL divisions with a 4th coming and we can't arrange 2. Amazing that they have all of those facilitates to meet NPL standard (heavy sarcasm here).

The simple fact is that NNSW football has mismanaged the region for years and we have a lot to catch up on.

Start at the beginning. Make SAP (or equivalent) compulsory for all NPL and NL1 clubs. It should also be compulsory that they have women's teams.

Go to 2 x 8 or 10 team comps (preferably 8 playing 3 times) If that doesn't meet the FFA criteria for calling the comp NPL, then don't. Northern League 1 and Northern League 2 will do. Who cares about a name.
Give all clubs notice that promotion and relegation will begin at the end of the 2022 season
Give up on the fantasy of enclosed single use single grounds. What we have is what we have and Lake Macquarie Council want all grounds multi user. Alternatively, if you are dead set on this course, talk to the Council and negotiate.
Put all youth NPL and NL1 teams in one comp split into 2 pools and mix it up each year. No promotion and relegation for youth. Accept the fact that until the SAP comes through, there will be blow outs. The pain for the next few years will be worth it as the kids come through SAP.
Do whatever it takes to get the junior jets into the Sydney NPL. Absolute waste of time them playing up here. If NSW football are worried about some local club missing out, then get the FFA involved and look at the bigger picture. What are we trying to achieve with youth football? We are sifting through thousands of kids looking for that diamond that will go on to play at the highest level. If we exclude regional centres like Newcastle then it is a disgrace and short sighted.

Ok, soap box away...

Thomas477
18-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Amazing, Sydney has 3 NPL divisions with a 4th coming and we can't arrange 2. Amazing that they have all of those facilitates to meet NPL standard (heavy sarcasm here).

The simple fact is that NNSW football has mismanaged the region for years and we have a lot to catch up on.

Start at the beginning. Make SAP (or equivalent) compulsory for all NPL and NL1 clubs. It should also be compulsory that they have women's teams.

Go to 2 x 8 or 10 team comps (preferably 8 playing 3 times) If that doesn't meet the FFA criteria for calling the comp NPL, then don't. Northern League 1 and Northern League 2 will do. Who cares about a name.
Give all clubs notice that promotion and relegation will begin at the end of the 2022 season
Give up on the fantasy of enclosed single use single grounds. What we have is what we have and Lake Macquarie Council want all grounds multi user. Alternatively, if you are dead set on this course, talk to the Council and negotiate.
Put all youth NPL and NL1 teams in one comp split into 2 pools and mix it up each year. No promotion and relegation for youth. Accept the fact that until the SAP comes through, there will be blow outs. The pain for the next few years will be worth it as the kids come through SAP.
Do whatever it takes to get the junior jets into the Sydney NPL. Absolute waste of time them playing up here. If NSW football are worried about some local club missing out, then get the FFA involved and look at the bigger picture. What are we trying to achieve with youth football? We are sifting through thousands of kids looking for that diamond that will go on to play at the highest level. If we exclude regional centres like Newcastle then it is a disgrace and short sighted.

Ok, soap box away...

Sounds like someone is missing taking his frustrations out on a Friday night.... :lulzturtle:

Aegon
19-06-2019, 08:28 AM

Ok, soap box away...

Soap box warranted.

I agree with every word you said. Especially the part about SAP and Womens teams being compulsory for all.

Hunter403
19-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Sounds like someone is missing taking his frustrations out on a Friday night.... :lulzturtle:

Apparently I held them back...:lol::lol::lol:

plague
19-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Especially the part about SAP and Womens teams being compulsory for all.

yeah again, im a fan of this.
plus, some clubs already treat their SAP kids as part of the bigger picture. I know Edgy invited their SAP kids to the seniors function last year (im sure that was the presso). It made them all think how cool it was to hang with the big boys, and that they could be right there if they continued. It would also obviously breed some loyalty on the players part to maybe want to be at Edgy long term instead of club hopping year to year.

Ive also seen Magic use their kids as ambassadors for the club and a few other clubs use their SAP kids to walk out with their first grade teams and play mini games at halftime at the games.

All of these little things build loyalty, desire and a sense of purpose to the whole thing. It would probably come as no surprise that these clubs going the extra mile are also the clubs doing the best on the field too.

and trust me, Plague Jnr getting to be in the sheds after the game and sing the team song with the first grade team had him absolutely buzzing. again, it was players/coaches only in there, no parents. he had to earn the right to do it by being in that SAP squad. it meant something.

Aegon
20-06-2019, 12:45 PM
All of these little things build loyalty, desire and a sense of purpose to the whole thing. It would probably come as no surprise that these clubs going the extra mile are also the clubs doing the best on the field too.

Totally Agree.

Ive also seen Magic use their kids as ambassadors for the club

I hadn't seen this, in what capacity was it? Great Idea IMO.

Reds Forever
27-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Northern Inland (Tamworth) have advertised on their FB page asking for expressions of interest for NPL Youth for 2020.

Haven't they already tried this and pulled out weeks before the comp started?

Aegon
27-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Northern Inland (Tamworth) have advertised on their FB page asking for expressions of interest for NPL Youth for 2020.

Haven't they already tried this and pulled out weeks before the comp started?

Good luck to them, I hope they can get a team in and be competitive.

londonboy
28-06-2019, 05:48 AM
Does anyone know what the pathways are for boys to play State football for NSW? What ages do kids compete at State level? Are they selected into NNSWF or Newcastle Football teams first? Or are there a series of open trials?

I’ve tried Googling this but can’t work out if how boys become available to play State level rep football.

Bremsstrahlung
28-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Sounds like the school system?
I think the highest was NNSW as that’s our state federation. In the past NNSW teams would compete at state championships. Not sure what happens now.

Hunter403
28-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know what the pathways are for boys to play State football for NSW? What ages do kids compete at State level? Are they selected into NNSWF or Newcastle Football teams first? Or are there a series of open trials?

I’ve tried Googling this but can’t work out if how boys become available to play State level rep football.

If you want to represent NNSW then (apart from one or two token players) you had better be a junior jet

Reds Forever
28-06-2019, 09:05 PM
If you want to represent NNSW then (apart from one or two token players) you had better be a junior jet

Jets have their own team for National Titles in u13 and u14. NNSW team is picked from players in the region outside jets program.

Bull fighter
28-06-2019, 09:55 PM

Yes if you’re not in the Jets program you may as well be playing on another planet.

football_macigian23
29-06-2019, 08:19 PM
Jets have their own team for National Titles in u13 and u14. NNSW team is picked from players in the region outside jets program. NNSW teams are selected out of players from the TSP programs and rep players from FMNC, NIF & NCF

Hunter403
01-07-2019, 12:55 PM
I hear NNSW is finally responding to the howls of complaint from Hunter based teams about the standard of refereeing in Coffs for NPL matches. Not heard one positive report from any club that has visited Coffs.

outsider
01-07-2019, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=Hunter403;226783]I hear NNSW is finally responding to the howls of complaint from Hunter based teams about the standard of refereeing in Coffs for NPL matches. Not heard one positive report from any club that has visited Coffs.[/QThey are using local referees who are probably young and not exposed to higher(?)standard football.Unfortunately I can not see this changing as I don't see referees from Newcastle being sent up there-not enough referees and a cost factor(parents would be required to take the referees because most don't drive or have a vehicle)

hamburgler
01-07-2019, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=Hunter403;226783]I hear NNSW is finally responding to the howls of complaint from Hunter based teams about the standard of refereeing in Coffs for NPL matches. Not heard one positive report from any club that has visited Coffs.[/QThey are using local referees who are probably young and not exposed to higher(?)standard football.Unfortunately I can not see this changing as I don't see referees from Newcastle being sent up there-not enough referees and a cost factor(parents would be required to take the referees because most don't drive or have a vehicle)

Agree they won’t send referees from Newcastle but something has to be done it’s a joke, only marginally better at Mid North Coast and every referee I have seen at Taree, Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour in the last two years is over 50, not young referees at all. Age is irrelevant but the Coffs referees especially are biased (perhaps not deliberately) toward Coffs teams and not to NPL standard.

Goatscheese
01-07-2019, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=outsider;226803]

Agree they won’t send referees from Newcastle but something has to be done it’s a joke, only marginally better at Mid North Coast and every referee I have seen at Taree, Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour in the last two years is over 50, not young referees at all. Age is irrelevant but the Coffs referees especially are biased (perhaps not deliberately) toward Coffs teams and not to NPL standard.

Not sure why Hunter based teams would be complaining, when you go play Hunter teams in the Hunter the Hunter based refs are biased towards Hunter based teams

Hunter403
01-07-2019, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=hamburgler;226811]

Not sure why Hunter based teams would be complaining, when you go play Hunter teams in the Hunter the Hunter based refs are biased towards Hunter based teams

Perhaps, but complaints aren't heard time after time like they are when teams visit Coffs. It's embarrassingly one sided

Hunter403
05-08-2019, 07:00 PM
I had the pleasure of watching the junior Jets take on junior Jaffas on the weekend.

They were all playing up an age and were more than a match for the Jaffas in the 14s and 15s. The 16s match was a close affair with two howlers from the Jaffas keeper costing them. The other grades were comfortable Jets wins.

The Jets players are fit and work hard for each other. They press in numbers and break quickly using accurate passing and great off ball movement.

I'd love to know what drill the Jets coaches use to teach the lads to interlock arms with opponents and grab arms as players go by. I'm also impressed by the coordinated appeal that goes up from the players every time a blue shirt hits the ground. Impressive stuff that!

Stick to football young Jets and leave the handiwork (pun intended) to lesser players.

Refereeing very raw.
example
Jaffas player knocked over by a Jet and a (rare) Jaffas freekick given
Jets player: I didn't touch him!
Referee: You elbowed him in the head!
Crowd: Where's the yellow then???
Ref: turns and runs in opposite direction...

Goatscheese
05-08-2019, 10:52 PM
I had the pleasure of watching the junior Jets take on junior Jaffas on the weekend.

They were all playing up an age and were more than a match for the Jaffas in the 14s and 15s. The 16s match was a close affair with two howlers from the Jaffas keeper costing them. The other grades were comfortable Jets wins.

The Jets players are fit and work hard for each other. They press in numbers and break quickly using accurate passing and great off ball movement.

I'd love to know what drill the Jets coaches use to teach the lads to interlock arms with opponents and grab arms as players go by. I'm also impressed by the coordinated appeal that goes up from the players every time a blue shirt hits the ground. Impressive stuff that!

Stick to football young Jets and leave the handiwork (pun intended) to lesser players.

Refereeing very raw.
example
Jaffas player knocked over by a Jet and a (rare) Jaffas freekick given
Jets player: I didn't touch him!
Referee: You elbowed him in the head!
Crowd: Where's the yellow then???
Ref: turns and runs in opposite direction...

You expect refs to not be biased towards Jets? The'd be sent down to NewFM and WPL if they did

Hunter403
06-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Rumour is that NPL and NEWFM youth ages will align next year in line with current NPL age range.

About time.

Goatscheese
06-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Rumour is that NPL and NEWFM youth ages will align next year in line with current NPL age range.

About time.

It's an old rumour but yes, along with U23 and U20 becoming reserve grade.

Thomas477
09-08-2019, 05:23 PM
You expect refs to not be biased towards Jets? The'd be sent down to NewFM and WPL if they did

And we wonder why refs quit after comments like these from people who have no idea about the referee associations,

Goatscheese
09-08-2019, 08:40 PM
And we wonder why refs quit after comments like these from people who have no idea about the referee associations,

This isn't an attack on the refs this is an attack on the association and what they teach the refs. And you just need to watch these sort of games to see it is true.

If I wanted to talk about poor referring I could talk about a lot of other things which is also a slight against the associations that don't teach their refs properly to improve, reward good behaviour and punish bad.

Bremsstrahlung
10-08-2019, 01:53 PM

You can’t seriously think that refs go out there with every intention of doing the best job they can, remaining impartial, applying their educated interpretation of the FIFA mandated laws of the game and making decisions on the fly based on what they see and deem correct.

outsider
10-08-2019, 04:02 PM
You can’t seriously think that refs go out there with every intention of doing the best job they can, remaining impartial, applying their educated interpretation of the FIFA mandated laws of the game and making decisions on the fly based on what they see and deem correct.

What we are talking about is under thirteen to under sixteen football where the players are learning their game.What do you think the referees are doing.We have so many young referees just starting out who are trying their hearts out.For your information these young referees have a theory training session every two weeks where as many as can turn up.However the referees come from all areas on Newcastle and the Hunter and rely on parent transport so not everyone can come all the time.You have probably never looked at a rules of the game law book-get one and have a look at what is involved and look at the list towards the back with the number of things for the referee to consider.So instead of getting on your high horse how about giving the kids a chance or maybe even refereeing some games yourself-might change your tune.There are not enough referees to go around-these young people are the referees of the future and although they make mistakes you should count up the number of errors your players make.

Bremsstrahlung
10-08-2019, 04:17 PM
What we are talking about is under thirteen to under sixteen football where the players are learning their game.What do you think the referees are doing.We have so many young referees just starting out who are trying their hearts out.For your information these young referees have a theory training session every two weeks where as many as can turn up.However the referees come from all areas on Newcastle and the Hunter and rely on parent transport so not everyone can come all the time.You have probably never looked at a rules of the game law book-get one and have a look at what is involved and look at the list towards the back with the number of things for the referee to consider.So instead of getting on your high horse how about giving the kids a chance or maybe even refereeing some games yourself-might change your tune.There are not enough referees to go around-these young people are the referees of the future and although they make mistakes you should count up the number of errors your players make.

Ugh, my tongue was firmly in cheek with my comments.
Have been a referee for many years.

Have posted many comments replicating what you’ve said in other threads.

Thomas477
10-08-2019, 07:17 PM
This isn't an attack on the refs this is an attack on the association and what they teach the refs. And you just need to watch these sort of games to see it is true.

As a member of said association and having received the same education, I’m happy to clarify that we are NOT taught to favour the Jets at all.

Just because we make a split second decision that goes against little cheese, doesn’t mean there’s a whole conspiracy. We have a split second to make a decision based on what we saw, and as the day goes on, we get more and more fatigued. And yes, a lot of the referees on NPL juniors are young, they’re learning the trade as they’re going, not unlike the players. We’re human, we will make mistakes, and if you expect perfection, well :lulzturtle:.

But then again, as Brem said, who’d think we’d go out there and put ourselves in a position to be abused by all and sundry, and try to do the best job we can. Quite mad, really.

Onehunglow
11-08-2019, 01:05 PM
As a member of said association and having received the same education, I’m happy to clarify that we are NOT taught to favour the Jets at all.

Just because we make a split second decision that goes against little cheese, doesn’t mean there’s a whole conspiracy. We have a split second to make a decision based on what we saw, and as the day goes on, we get more and more fatigued. And yes, a lot of the referees on NPL juniors are young, they’re learning the trade as they’re going, not unlike the players. We’re human, we will make mistakes, and if you expect perfection, well :lulzturtle:.

But then again, as Brem said, who’d think we’d go out there and put ourselves in a position to be abused by all and sundry, and try to do the best job we can. Quite mad, really.

I have been coaching against the Jets Youth teams through SAP and NPL for the last 5 years and have never once felt that the refs favoured the Jets.

Goatscheese
11-08-2019, 08:25 PM

It's not the young ones you need to worry about, the young ones are pretty good, it's the older ones and the ones that have been doing it for years that are the worst. Regardless it isn't the refs that are the problem it's their poor development clearly the training sessions aren't working.

Goatscheese
11-08-2019, 08:27 PM
And yes, a lot of the referees on NPL juniors are young, they’re learning the trade as they’re going, not unlike the players. We’re human, we will make mistakes, and if you expect perfection, well :lulzturtle:.

There is a big difference between perfection and allowing a goal scored because the attacker grabbed the defender and threw him to the ground so he wouldn't get to the ball first, for one recent example. And that wasn't one of the young ones who allowed the goal to stand

Hunter403
26-08-2019, 12:44 PM
Youth Semi

ALL GAMES SATURDAY
13s
Jets vs Adamstown 9am Adamstown Oval
Olympic v Jaffas Noon Macquarie Field

14s
Magic v North Coast 10.40am Adamstown Oval
Olympic v Jets 1.40pm Macquarie Field

15s
Olympic v Magic 12.20pm Adamstown Oval
North Coast v Jets 3.20pm Macquarie Field

16s
Jets v Jaffas 2pm Adamstown Oval
Olympic v North Coast 5pm Macquarie Field

Get out and watch the kids!!

Negative Police
28-08-2019, 06:51 PM
One game knockouts?

Hunter403
28-08-2019, 08:40 PM
One game knockouts?

yes

Negative Police
30-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Wet weather changes

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Finals-Weekend-2.pdf

YewYew
02-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Edgy look like they are investing in the youth big time next year. They recruited the grand final 14yrs coach from Southy, plus got some young gun coaches from Wallsend for their SAP. good on em. We’ll see if the same old clubs have the same old faces next year. Edgy always invest in youth and their 1sts are full of youngsters. If I’m a decent kid at 14yrs and 15yrs I’m trying to get into Edgy. Jaffas, magic and Olympic won’t promote the kids and they won’t get chances.

Hunter403
02-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Edgy look like they are investing in the youth big time next year. They recruited the grand final 14yrs coach from Southy, plus got some young gun coaches from Wallsend for their SAP. good on em. We’ll see if the same old clubs have the same old faces next year. Edgy always invest in youth and their 1sts are full of youngsters. If I’m a decent kid at 14yrs and 15yrs I’m trying to get into Edgy. Jaffas, magic and Olympic won’t promote the kids and they won’t get chances.

Certainly has a ring of truth about it.

connery
04-09-2019, 06:12 AM
Edgy's program is well organised and well run, assistant and providing support for their coaches, which only betters the players giving a clear pathway to the senior teams , the coach in question was from the juniors not WFC sap, The club has only a few accrediated coaches through their entire npl/sap teams hence the results and a 14s team folding etc, they approached coaches from their WPL ranks who are all accredited to fill positions,.
easy decision for the coach to go to edgy When it's chalk and cheese

dan
04-09-2019, 09:27 AM
Edgy's program is well organised and well run, assistant and providing support for their coaches, which only betters the players giving a clear pathway to the senior teams , the coach in question was from the juniors not WFC sap, The club has only a few accrediated coaches through their entire npl/sap teams hence the results and a 14s team folding etc, they approached coaches from their WPL ranks who are all accredited to fill positions,.

Can confirm the two coaches Edgy got for their SAP U9’s were from our clubs juniors (U8’s and the U8’s SAP development squad), both were in my plans for SAP at WFC but it’s great opportunity for them to improve their trade at a big club like Edgy and we simply couldn’t match Edgy for money and opportunity. One of them unfortunately jeopardising a recent C license scholarship. It would be great to see them back in Wallsend colours one day though. Both are great people & coaches, all the best to them.

YewYew
04-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Can confirm the two coaches Edgy got for their SAP U9’s were from our clubs juniors (U8’s and the U8’s SAP development squad)

Did they take many of the kids from your U8's dev squad with them to Edgy SAP? Would be unfair to spend time developing kids at your club and then find them all follow coaches out the door. Hope you kept at least some.

YewYew
04-09-2019, 10:37 AM

Yeah - understand coaches decision. Hard on WFC to lose coaches they investing in though. Edgy's win. Coaches and players can see what Edgy are about. Why wouldn't they want to go there?

Hunter403
04-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Some great NPL Youth semis at Adamstown last night.

The 15s and 16s both went down to penalties with Olympic winning the 15a and the Jets winning the 16s. Both entertaining games to watch on what was, unfortunately, a sub standard pitch for end of season show case games.

If you get time on the weekend, get down to Darling Street and watch the young talent around the town.

Duzmzn
05-09-2019, 07:53 PM

So do you know all the actual facts?

YewYew
05-09-2019, 09:43 PM
So do you know all the actual facts?

The coach was given a go at Edgy with other coaching jobs in the future if things go good. With no promotion to the NPL WFC cannot compete so coaches and players with ambitions move on. Same with the Southy coach who went as well - no NPL means no money = no long term prospects. No good for NEWFM teams, but Edgy always looking to the future.

Duzmzn
05-09-2019, 11:24 PM
The coach was given a go at Edgy with other coaching jobs in the future if things go good. With no promotion to the NPL WFC cannot compete so coaches and players with ambitions move on. Same with the Southy coach who went as well - no NPL means no money = no long term prospects. No good for NEWFM teams, but Edgy always looking to the future.

yew yew didn't realize that you were Connery

YewYew
06-09-2019, 05:42 AM
yew yew didn't realize that you were Connery

Duzmzn didn’t realise you were my dad. Am I to ask your permission when writing on here?

If you wanna talk direct with someone DM them. Otherwise you post on here it fair sport cobber.

YewYew
06-09-2019, 08:20 AM
The club has only a few accrediated coaches through their entire npl/sap teams

Word is also that the WFC U9 sap coach from this year won't be back nxt year. Not bagging WFC at all - just think its a pity WFC cannot hang onto their coaches. Makes things hard for a club when people don't stick long term.

dan
06-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Word is also that the WFC U9 sap coach from this year won't be back nxt year. Not bagging WFC at all - just think its a pity WFC cannot hang onto their coaches. Makes things hard for a club when people don't stick long term.

He’ll be moving into a different role with our SAP, I marked the Cook Park lines with him this morning. He isn’t going anywhere, just moving into a higher position within our SAP structure.

Duzmzn
06-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Duzmzn didn’t realise you were my dad. Am I to ask your permission when writing on here?

If you wanna talk direct with someone DM them. Otherwise you post on here it fair sport cobber.

Sorry YEW YEW, did daddy take your safe blanket off you? Im sorry my boy, daddy gives it back now.:thumbsup:

Duzmzn
06-09-2019, 02:11 PM

Yeah mate I spoke to him today and hes not going anywhere, hes staying with WFC to strenghten their SAP Programe and the club. He has a long term vision and says he is going to see it through.

Goatscheese
06-09-2019, 08:07 PM
He’ll be moving into a different role with our SAP, I marked the Cook Park lines with him this morning. He isn’t going anywhere, just moving into a higher position within our SAP structure.

Haha that's two threads in one day where YewYew has been owned

connery
07-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Yew yew ,if dumbmzn etc don't like hearing facts and the structure of other clubs in order of professionally run to clubs keeping their head above water , that's their own issues and they have failed the players before they have started. . Besides cookers no other team came close to a successful NPL application . It's sad the delusion some club members have

traffic light
07-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Yew yew ,if dumbmzn etc don't like hearing facts and the structure of other clubs in order of professionally run to clubs keeping their head above water , that's their own issues and they have failed the players before they have started. . Besides cookers no other team came close to a successful NPL application . It's sad the delusion some club members have

What? Get off the drugs toolio.

traffic light
07-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Yep. That fool and his best mate connery escaped from Stocko to ruin the local football forums.

YewYew
07-09-2019, 06:35 PM

That is good. 👍

YewYew
07-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Sorry YEW YEW, did daddy take your safe blanket off you? Im sorry my boy, daddy gives it back now.:thumbsup:

This is the reason mummy left us.

YewYew
07-09-2019, 06:38 PM

How do? I provided information and ask question. Glad what I heard was wrong. I like WFC and want them to do well.

YewYew
07-09-2019, 06:41 PM
Yep. That fool and his best mate connery escaped from Stocko to ruin the local football forums.

Traffic Light has to be the dumbest bloke on here. Talks some smack, gets made to look silly and heads home with his ball. Muppet.

YewYew
07-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Agree mate. If people don’t like the facts do something to change them.

Hunter403
08-09-2019, 05:59 PM
. Besides cookers no other team came close to a successful NPL application .

How do you know this? Most NEWFM clubs haven't even had their end of process interview with NNSW Football yet, and don't know the reasons themselves. If you have some real knowledge (not just gossip) please share it. I'd love to know where Southy, Kahibah etc fell down. Bet they would too.

Goatscheese
08-09-2019, 09:33 PM
How do you know this? Most NEWFM clubs haven't even had their end of process interview with NNSW Football yet, and don't know the reasons themselves. If you have some real knowledge (not just gossip) please share it. I'd love to know where Southy, Kahibah etc fell down. Bet they would too.

He doesn't, he is talking shit.

traffic light
08-09-2019, 10:31 PM
He doesn't, he is talking shit.

yep. Same 2 twats spreading rumours

connery
09-09-2019, 09:53 AM
yep. Same 2 twats spreading rumours
Bahhh

Goatscheese
11-09-2019, 10:09 PM
New rule changes for next year. U13-U16 interchange can only be made at two times during each half. Will stop poor coaches who don't know how to rotate properly, and those coaches that go for the win by making 6 changes in the last 3 minutes of a game.

Reserves and U18 teams now get 5 substitutions instead of the current three. I'm not sure about this one, are we meant to be a semi-professional league or an amateur league?

Onehunglow
11-09-2019, 10:20 PM
New rule changes for next year. U13-U16 interchange can only be made at two times during each half. Will stop poor coaches who don't know how to rotate properly, and those coaches that go for the win by making 6 changes in the last 3 minutes of a game.

Reserves and U18 teams now get 5 substitutions instead of the current three. I'm not sure about this one, are we meant to be a semi-professional league or an amateur league?

I don't mind the youth changes, I saw too many instances in NPL youth of kids only getting the last 10-15 mins in each half. Usually the same kids too. Game time should be as close to as even as possible for the fees kids play. As you rightly point out, coaches should know how to rotate the group, with some flexibility, depending on how the game is playing out and the opposition.

Goatscheese
12-09-2019, 10:40 PM
I don't mind the youth changes, I saw too many instances in NPL youth of kids only getting the last 10-15 mins in each half. Usually the same kids too. Game time should be as close to as even as possible for the fees kids play. As you rightly point out, coaches should know how to rotate the group, with some flexibility, depending on how the game is playing out and the opposition.

Not sure if it will help those coaches that just want their weaker players to play the last 10-15 mins of each half. Just use one of the sub times then. Should help those that want to try and give equal time and swapping a player every 5 mins.

furns
13-09-2019, 02:04 PM
OK, I have received an email from a club who objected to a club employee being named on this forum as a guess behind a user's identity.
I have searched and removed a number of posts relating to this.
I would reiterate to users to be very careful when posting names on this site especially when a person may be a club official. You might think you have carte blanche to post what you want in here, but you don't. I'm going to be keeping an closer eye on the local forums to ensure people are playing nicely.
The local football forums are very popular which is fantastic but as a result there are a lot of eyes on what gets posted here (local clubs and officials are watching), so you need to be aware that posting anything defamatory (especially with a name) WILL bring repercussions.

Goatscheese
13-09-2019, 07:28 PM
there are a lot of eyes on what gets posted here (local clubs and officials are watching),

The big question is do Northern watch what is posted here?

Bull fighter
13-09-2019, 08:53 PM
The big question is do Northern watch what is posted here?
Yes they do

londonboy
13-09-2019, 10:11 PM
Yes they do

Do they actively seek out the opinions of general stakeholders? It would be great to see some kind of regular engagement with people outside the club inner circles. Perhaps an occasional survey or open forum (Twitter Q&A?) where coaches, players, volunteers, parents etc can give some thoughts or feedback. Most suggestions might not be useful but you might get the occasional gem. And having those engaged people on the outside actively giving feedback has to be useful for NNSWF. Understanding the thoughts of the wider masses (and not solely the clubs) can only help.

Bull fighter
13-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Do they actively seek out the opinions of general stakeholders? It would be great to see some kind of regular engagement with people outside the club inner circles. Perhaps an occasional survey or open forum (Twitter Q&A?) where coaches, players, volunteers, parents etc can give some thoughts or feedback. Most suggestions might not be useful but you might get the occasional gem. And having those engaged people on the outside actively giving feedback has to be useful for NNSWF. Understanding the thoughts of the wider masses (and not solely the clubs) can only help.

No they don’t, because they don’t want to hear anything that doesn’t fit their agenda

furns
14-09-2019, 09:35 AM
David Eland used to post on here a few years back, but after a few months people really didnt direct many questions to him so he stopped posting.

YewYew
14-09-2019, 09:59 AM
OK, I have received an email from a club who objected to a club employee being named on this forum as a guess behind a user's identity.
I have searched and removed a number of posts relating to this.
I would reiterate to users to be very careful when posting names on this site especially when a person may be a club official. You might think you have carte blanche to post what you want in here, but you don't. I'm going to be keeping an closer eye on the local forums to ensure people are playing nicely.
The local football forums are very popular which is fantastic but as a result there are a lot of eyes on what gets posted here (local clubs and officials are watching), so you need to be aware that posting anything defamatory (especially with a name) WILL bring repercussions.

Tut tut. My daddy Duzmzn has been a bad man again. No way mummy coming home now.

YewYew
24-09-2019, 10:37 PM

About time.

Is this happening? What does it mean exactly?

Hunter403
25-09-2019, 06:31 AM
Yes. Both comps will now have 13, 14, 15, 16 & 18.. The NEWFM 17 & 19 are gone.

Jim
26-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Jets Youth to NSW NPL
https://www.newcastlejets.com.au/news/academy-jets-make-switch-npl-nsw
As mentioned elsewhere
13 14 15 16 into Youth NPL2

U/16s, U/18s, and U/20s into NSW NPL 4

Aegon
26-09-2019, 03:12 PM
As mentioned elsewhere
13 14 15 16 into Youth NPL2

U/16s, U/18s, and U/20s into NSW NPL 4

Busy season for the 16’s

Jim
26-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Busy season for the 16’s

lol. they were lazy last year and need a lesson. But actually the wording is confusing.

while young boys teams, who will compete in the U/13s, U/14s, U/15s, and U/16s, will enter into the Youth NPL NSW 2.

The senior men’s youth teams, the U/16s, U/18s, and U/20s, will compete in the U/18s, U/20s, and First Grade competitions respectively in the Senior NPL NSW 4 and look to climb their way up the divisions.

Aegon
26-09-2019, 07:28 PM
lol. they were lazy last year and need a lesson. But actually the wording is confusing.

How do Sydney, wanderers and mariners currently do it?

ForeverRed
26-09-2019, 07:31 PM
How do Sydney, wanderers and mariners currently do it?

With each other 😂

Hunter403
26-09-2019, 09:20 PM
The confusion lies in that the Jets play up an age in the local comp, thus the u16 Jets play in the under 18 NNSW NPL.

Next season, the Jets will play in their own age group in Sydney, as does the SCUM and the WSW. So, this years under 16s will play 18s in Sydney as a 17s squad and probably get a second year in 18s to follow. I guess they are the big winner in the Jets set up. This year's 18s will play in the 20s but will all be under 19 players. Again, they will likely get two years

Texas Ranger
26-09-2019, 10:31 PM
So what was traditionaly Jets Youth players Will be split into 2 teams to cover u20s and 1st Grade?? They might have to recruit more players maybe?

londonboy
27-09-2019, 06:55 AM
The confusion lies in that the Jets play up an age in the local comp, thus the u16 Jets play in the under 18 NNSW NPL.

Next season, the Jets will play in their own age group in Sydney, as does the SCUM and the WSW. So, this years under 16s will play 18s in Sydney as a 17s squad and probably get a second year in 18s to follow. I guess they are the big winner in the Jets set up. This year's 18s will play in the 20s but will all be under 19 players. Again, they will likely get two years

I think playing stronger opposition every week can only help the Jets squads, but you have to feel for the parents having to get the kids to Sydney every weekend. Will the Jets be offering buses to games? It would definitely take some of the pain out of it.

Hunter403
27-09-2019, 05:18 PM
I think playing stronger opposition every week can only help the Jets squads, but you have to feel for the parents having to get the kids to Sydney every weekend. Will the Jets be offering buses to games? It would definitely take some of the pain out of it.

Common sense would dictate a bus......but this is the Jets.

Now that the Jets won't be using the LM football centre, will their fees fall? If they are training at Hunter Sports they will certainly get used to playing on poor pitches.
Anyone know where they will play home games?

Texas Ranger
30-09-2019, 07:14 AM
I heard they may play at Glendale sports field, inside the athletic track. Need good eyesight to see the play.

Bremsstrahlung
30-09-2019, 01:37 PM
I heard they may play at Glendale sports field, inside the athletic track. Need good eyesight to see the play.

Great pitch though.

Negative Police
27-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Proposed 2020 No-fc u18 coach Newham off to Jets.