plague
02-06-2019, 12:45 PM
In for sweep

Milicic out

MFKS
03-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Gee I hope the Matildas are successful in this

All it does I will be re enforce how shit women's football is

Same FFA running the HAL Socceroos and mens game into the ground with their incompetence can not be doing such a great job if the Matildas under the same shitful set up can be a roaring success

Says more about the weaknesses 9f the women's game overall

Jetmaster
04-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Feels like the Sydney/Hobart....media bigging it up but no nobody talking about it.

SOO, Cricket WC and Liverpool getting the water cooler interest...nobody will watch unless the Matildas get a run on.

Jeterpool
08-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Renard with a double last night. She stands far above many out there. The French captain, Henry, looks a very accomplished player.

The French look the good... but South Korea looked just as poor

baldrick
09-06-2019, 08:56 PM
Decent crowd in for Matilda’s v Italy

Edit: Hmmm, maybe there all on one side of the stadium..

belchardo
09-06-2019, 09:12 PM
lucky. way too long to make the decision.

and why was the resulting free-kick not taken at the halfway line?

anyway, they got completely skinned and the keeper looked like a rabbit in the headlights.

belchardo
09-06-2019, 09:23 PM
Very poor penalty and lucky the rebound fell our way

baldrick
09-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Gordon Bennett

belchardo
09-06-2019, 10:15 PM
frick. that was poor.

belchardo
09-06-2019, 10:25 PM
does the ref have three watches on?

belchardo
09-06-2019, 10:31 PM
this interpretation of the offside rule is ridiculous.

so you know they are offside, you let the play go on until they can't score...and you immediately stick up you flag! makes as much sense as shoes for worms.

baldrick
09-06-2019, 10:33 PM
this interpretation of the offside rule is ridiculous.

so you know they are offside, you let the play go on until they can't score...and you immediately stick up you flag! makes as much sense as shoes for worms.

It’s doing my head in !

plague
09-06-2019, 10:36 PM
Bless Griff I'm overseas so don't have to stay up at silly hours to watch this garbage.

belchardo
09-06-2019, 10:36 PM
It’s doing my head in !

part of my frustration is that it always comes at the expense of the team that didn't offend. just then, australia were about to break out and the referee blows the whistle and says "no, that really dangerous throw you were about to unleash has to be stopped. put the ball on the ground and kick it after they get set in defence".

belchardo
09-06-2019, 10:38 PM
anybody else willing to get onboard with #wepeakedoneyeartooearly?

belchardo
09-06-2019, 10:46 PM
they were 3m offside and they didn't flag it!!!!!

belchardo
09-06-2019, 10:53 PM
that was really poor from williams. should be benched for the next game.

Charman
09-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Absof$&kunlutely! Dominated last 18 months. So far off the pace tonight. Italy game plan has worked a treat, maybe shouldn’t have sacked our coach for f/:k knows why. We won’t make semis at this standard. Boom, loss. Get f—led! Stayed up for this shit.

baldrick
09-06-2019, 10:56 PM
anybody else willing to get onboard with #wepeakedoneyeartooearly?

I guess that’s what happens when you lose your coach just before the World Cup.

Jetmaster
09-06-2019, 10:58 PM
They're ripping into Ante....hmmm.

plague
10-06-2019, 12:56 AM
Frauds..
Gypo out.
Other gypo out too.

Jetmaster
10-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Officiating is abysmal. May as well have A-League refs. Two "unexpected ball " pens shows where we are headed.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
10-06-2019, 10:27 AM
That high line Milicic is trying to implement is atrocious.

westjet
10-06-2019, 11:46 AM
If they bomb out in the group stage surely some people from the ffa need to be held accountable (yeah I know, never going to happen). To have a team playing world class level then fire the coach for no reason and fail at a world cup they had at least semi final capabilities at is beyond a joke. Cant believe Gallop and co have managed to screw up our best chance of world cup glory. Stajic must be sitting at home distraught as everything he created is being destroyed by recent results (plus the realisation he is the scum coach). Heres hoping they can turn it around vs Brazil.

10-06-2019, 12:42 PM
If they bomb out in the group stage surely some people from the ffa need to be held accountable (yeah I know, never going to happen). To have a team playing world class level then fire the coach for no reason and fail at a world cup they had at least semi final capabilities at is beyond a joke. Cant believe Gallop and co have managed to screw up our best chance of world cup glory. Stajic must be sitting at home distraught as everything he created is being destroyed by recent results (plus the realisation he is the scum coach). Heres hoping they can turn it around vs Brazil.

This was always destined to end in disaster. Staj shafted by a woman with a score to settle with the help of some close friends and like minded persuaded people who all stood to gain by a change of coach, a change for a buddy of theirs prob more sympathetic to camp requests. Those individuals and FFA completely underestimated the public outcry this all brought about hence the close friend of the now in hiding board member did not get the job and Milicic was appointed.

You are correct heads should roll at FFA and those " close " players who were in on it in a " small " way , a board member and anybody else at FFA who worst of all turned a blind eye and let this shit happen til it became an out of control train wreck.

But anyways what would we know, Lucy Zelic, Garb and Tara know it all and if only we knew what the do eh LOL. Someone should tell those three individuals and there employers to never refer to them as journalists and just presenters.

This whole episode epitomizes everything the FFA represents, a complete incompetent cluster root. The HAL will be dead and buried in 5 years through poor attendances and marketability resulting in less revenue through corporate partners/sponsorship and broadcasting. There is no money from a product people are no longer interested in.

The window to piss these incompetent officials off and turn things around is closing fast.

Bremsstrahlung
11-06-2019, 06:09 AM
Politics aside, this is going to be a massive disappointment for the girls if they don’t get out of the group.
High hopes and they had genuinely been playing really well. I’m looking forward to the Brazil game. They need a win there.

Jardelsimage
13-06-2019, 08:44 AM
This was always destined to end in disaster. Staj shafted by a woman with a score to settle with the help of some close friends and like minded persuaded people who all stood to gain by a change of coach, a change for a buddy of theirs prob more sympathetic to camp requests. Those individuals and FFA completely underestimated the public outcry this all brought about hence the close friend of the now in hiding board member did not get the job and Milicic was appointed.

You are correct heads should roll at FFA and those " close " players who were in on it in a " small " way , a board member and anybody else at FFA who worst of all turned a blind eye and let this shit happen til it became an out of control train wreck.

But anyways what would we know, Lucy Zelic, Garb and Tara know it all and if only we knew what the do eh LOL. Someone should tell those three individuals and there employers to never refer to them as journalists and just presenters.

This whole episode epitomizes everything the FFA represents, a complete incompetent cluster root. The HAL will be dead and buried in 5 years through poor attendances and marketability resulting in less revenue through corporate partners/sponsorship and broadcasting. There is no money from a product people are no longer interested in.

The window to piss these incompetent officials off and turn things around is closing fast.

the wash up of all of this,
Staj gets the bullet(and another job to appease him).
Ante will be hung out to dry, doesn't matter though he has another job.
some female random in hiding will get the matildas job....
Reid gets away with it maybe, (still waiting for someone with some balls to do the right thing).
and the forgotten one GVM gets pencilled in as the front runner to do the U20's mens side.

just love a jigsaw.....

Bon
13-06-2019, 08:48 AM
Thread for upcoming world cup.

Bon - would you and Pam do a sweep?

Bloody hell..
I only just saw this!!!!

I would have totally done a sweep for this if I had known..
Pam retired two weeks ago (finally got the golden hand-shake payout that she had been waiting for), so any excuse to get her back in the office for a sly dig at "the Westlakes gypo".. hahaha

Jeterpool
13-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Bloody hell..
I only just saw this!!!!

I would have totally done a sweep for this if I had known..
Pam retired two weeks ago (finally got the golden hand-shake payout that she had been waiting for), so any excuse to get her back in the office for a sly dig at "the Westlakes gypo".. hahaha

I hope she can be brought in as a contractor and kept on retainer. Congrats Pam.

And as for just seeing it, Bon :sigh:

The Dunster
13-06-2019, 12:08 PM
The way the Matildas are playing it looks like their dressing room is divided. Those for Staj on one side and those that conspired against him on the other.
EVE has been pretty poor for quite some time yet manages to maintain her position in the team. Hard to imagine others playing that poorly and holding a spot in the starting lineup.
She either needs to be moved forward more or sent to the bench.

Jetmaster
13-06-2019, 04:00 PM
Geez the BBC is bigging this comp up - they have the rights so must be like NBN over doing NRL every night.

Curiously comments are locked out of all Women's Football articles.

Grimario
14-06-2019, 04:14 AM
That was entertaining. Love VAR.

Bremsstrahlung
14-06-2019, 05:27 AM
Just saw highlights. Some very interesting interpretations.

1. I know the EPL has changed their interpretation of handball. Was this a FIFA directive? Or UEFA? Or simply EPL?
2. I’m a little surprised they didn’t support the ARs offside call. Surely her presence forced Brazil defender to take the header and miss time it?

Not complaining. Good win for them. Beating Brazil after going down 2-0 is a good achievement.

pv4
14-06-2019, 06:16 AM
I didn't realise it but apparently under Staj, Australia had only won 2 of their last 12 games against European games. And most of the good vibes from the Staj era have been from beating an ageing Brazil, as well as one win against the USA. These two results in this current World Cup seem completely on trend, then.

Frodo
14-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Still didn't look amazing other than we had a very good attacking formation with Logarzo and Yalley working their arses off to keep Brazil from setting up for a proper counter. They couldn't afford to carry Marta with those two working so hard.

Ellie Carpenter got my WOTM. Stopped 2 counters with her speed and awkward feet and was great up and down the line for 90 mins. She'd be in with a shot of starting for the men's team right now. And she's only 19.

Kerr was trying way too hard all game. Her best work came when she went out wide and started passing rather than flicking things on all the time.

Frodo
14-06-2019, 07:25 AM
Also I must have counted at least 5 or 6 nutmegs (flapmegs??) during this game. Wouldn't you think our girls had learnt to close their legs whenever there's a Brazilian involved. There was definitely a few close shaves and smooth touches....

Bon
14-06-2019, 08:48 AM
Also I must have counted at least 5 or 6 nutmegs (flapmegs??) during this game. Wouldn't you think our girls had learnt to close their legs whenever there's a Brazilian involved. There was definitely a few close shaves and smooth touches....

:lulzturtle:
Fvck me Frodo, you are on fire..

Ellie Carpenter... :wub:

14-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Superb. Take a bow.

westjet
14-06-2019, 07:47 PM
2. I’m a little surprised they didn’t support the ARs offside call. Surely her presence forced Brazil defender to take the header and miss time it?

This is what I hate about the current interpretation. As a player your taught to play the whistle, this interpretation is saying to a player in that situation to guess if she was onside or not and then decide to go for the ball or not. Imagine the roasting she would get if she guessed she was offside and didnt go for it and kerr scores. Simple fact is she only goes for that ball because the pressure is there from kerr who was offside. If kerr isnt there she just leaves it for the keeper. Happy to take the goal but hate how that a player can be in that position and not be classed as impacting play - I would have been pissed if Brazil scored like that.

Also thought for all the money that Cattleys(think thats who it was) rugby tackle in the box in the last minutes was going to be a penalty. Would be interested to know why it wasnt.

boz-monaut
14-06-2019, 07:51 PM

http://media.ign.com/boards/images/icons2/Cartoons_Quagmire.gif

Jetmaster
14-06-2019, 09:51 PM
The VAR pen call turned down in the first half.

The ball went out for a goal kick and no pen was given. VAR asked ref to look at screen as there may be a penalty.

Watches it - no pen as there was a handball.

Now....the game should have restarted with a goal kick, but it restarted with a free kick for the handball - this should not have been taken into account and is not meant to be judged by VAR. It was either a penalty or not.

It wasn't and life should have resumed with a goal kick.

The Dunster
15-06-2019, 09:39 AM
With Italy giving Jamaica a 5 nil drubbing will the Matildas need results to go their way to get through to the next round ?
I was thinking if Brazil were to steal a win against Italy then Matildas will need to not only win but also improve their goal difference as well.

Bremsstrahlung
15-06-2019, 11:06 AM
A win will give us 6 points and two of the best 3rd placed teams will go through. I think.
So 6 points should give us a decent crack at progressing.

Jim
15-06-2019, 11:30 PM
Kerr was trying way too hard all game. Her best work came when she went out wide and started passing rather than flicking things on all the time.

Tells the world suck it then cops a deserved barrage. Just another Tomic. Mon Jamaica

Bremsstrahlung
16-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Betting on these games is pretty simple money. Combining a few for multis is easy as.

Bon
17-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Tells the world suck it then cops a deserved barrage. Just another Tomic. Mon Jamaica

Was reading an article where she has reasoned that her comment was made to combat all the homophobic slurs she has allegedly been getting online..

Frodo
19-06-2019, 07:01 AM
Not exactly a vintage performance. Will be somewhat overshadowed by Kerr's 4 goals. (Probably deservedly enough)

Happily it looks like we've missed out on facing France in the R16 with that single goal, thanks Jamaican Keeper with a touch that I have done more times than I'd like to admit, and will instead face a Norway without Ada Hegerberg. A much easier task.

plague
19-06-2019, 10:20 AM
yeah that was pretty awful. id be looking at Norways odds, because theyd be a decent shake.

At the moment Sam Kerr is a late career Tim Cahill. Headers (yes, impressive ones), tap ins and not much else of any quality.

So may times in attack they'd turn the ball over and there was an enormous gap in the mids and Van Egmond was sitting with 5 other defenders in a bunch at the back. so much space for the Jamaicans to relaunch.

also, womens goalies are garbage. From what i read ours is apparently one of the better ones? If thats the case why do we leave the person with the lowest skill set fill 2 positions (keeper and sweeper) by sitting so high. Women goalies need a deeper defence to help them, not strand them even further away.
terrible coaching job with that.

anyway, we back apparently or something.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
19-06-2019, 03:21 PM
yeah that was pretty awful. id be looking at Norways odds, because theyd be a decent shake.

At the moment Sam Kerr is a late career Tim Cahill. Headers (yes, impressive ones), tap ins and not much else of any quality.

So may times in attack they'd turn the ball over and there was an enormous gap in the mids and Van Egmond was sitting with 5 other defenders in a bunch at the back. so much space for the Jamaicans to relaunch.

also, womens goalies are garbage. From what i read ours is apparently one of the better ones? If thats the case why do we leave the person with the lowest skill set fill 2 positions (keeper and sweeper) by sitting so high. Women goalies need a deeper defence to help them, not strand them even further away.
terrible coaching job with that.

anyway, we back apparently or something.

In general the keepers arent great..If you haven't seen it have a geez at the highlights if Chile v USA though, the Chilean keeper pulled off some blinders...Apparently is seen as easily the best female keeper in the world though.

Jetmaster
19-06-2019, 06:17 PM
In general the keepers arent great..If you haven't seen it have a geez at the highlights if Chile v USA though, the Chilean keeper pulled off some blinders...Apparently is seen as easily the best female keeper in the world though.

What about the quotes from the England keeper (I think) saying the goals should be smaller for the girls. Hope Solo said just train with the men.

redwah
19-06-2019, 06:59 PM
EVE is not a DM...she moves the ball around ok but we lack cover for the back 4.

The Dunster
19-06-2019, 07:01 PM
EVE is not a DM...she moves the ball around ok but we lack cover for the back 4.

She hasn't exactly been banging in the goals over the past few years either for country or club.

Frodo
19-06-2019, 08:05 PM

I sort of disagree. Teams aren't really dribbling past EVE or even getting the ball between her and the CBs much. Our issue seems to be a huge gap between our CBs in transition and the fact that they are slow as hell but still want to play a high line. I think the best way to get past us is a quick ball over the top or in between the CBs. Just bypass midfield all together.

That said EVE hasn't been amazing. She just does well at keeping us in possession. No one has been great so far except for Carpenter and Logarzo, plenty of issues.

Couscous
23-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Hmm.

plague
23-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Daniel Garbs carry on after the match was all the signs of a whingeing little bitch.
blamed everyone other than the team.

australia have been awful all tournament. they lost.

hes a ****ing joke that bloke.

Jetmaster
23-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Agree...the "feel so sorry for the girls" routine wears thin.

They were not good enough.

Jim
23-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Beaten by a lower ranked nation then the idiotic supporters having a whinge. Suck on that

Jetmaster
23-06-2019, 11:48 AM
The burn was expected but still it's funny.

Kennedy grabbed a handful of shirt - runs the risk.

The pen claim was looked at dozens of times (though there was an angle that showed it hitting the point of her shoulder that for some reason was only showed once) - not clear and obvious error - no pen.

Sammy belts the ball into Row Z - everyone else would get criticised but apparently Sammy carries the team and is under pressure and should not be derided.

redwah
23-06-2019, 02:28 PM
The burn was expected but still it's funny.

Kennedy grabbed a handful of shirt - runs the risk.

The pen claim was looked at dozens of times (though there was an angle that showed it hitting the point of her shoulder that for some reason was only showed once) - not clear and obvious error - no pen.

Sammy belts the ball into Row Z - everyone else would get criticised but apparently Sammy carries the team and is under pressure and should not be derided.

Th ref gave it a pen on the field therefore the clear and obvious error means it should have stood as a pen.

Saying that we didn’t deserve to go through, we were lucky to finish second in the group. Also showed how slow most of the team are. Besides Raso and Carpenter we wer metres slower across the park.

Frodo
23-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Meh, did better than I expected. Norway will get smacked by England next round, which would have happened to us as well.

Also, can't see how the ref thought that was worthy of a red in real time or on review. But, that didn't really affect the result. Unless Kennedy was our no1 penalty taker.

Penalties also went exactly as I expected as well. I called Kerr going over the bar as she walked up. She lost her head in the 2nd half and never regained composure.

belchardo
25-06-2020, 12:29 PM
Thread close enough for my purposes.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/06/25/why-australia-nz-could-miss-out-on-the-2023-womens-world-cup/

I look forward to waking up tomorrow morning and finding out we've been screwed by FIFA once again.

belchardo
25-06-2020, 12:47 PM
And david squires take

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/jun/25/david-squires-on-2023-womens-world-cup-bid

belchardo
26-06-2020, 05:33 AM
We fooking won it! Fan-bloody-tastic.

Jeterpool
26-06-2020, 08:53 PM
a top football day all round