PDA

View Full Version : Local Sports Grounds

Jim
19-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Newcastle's premier rugby clubs could forced out of home fields if council adopts consultant's ideas

Anyone open the Herald article about the use of N02 sports ground?

Goatscheese
20-10-2019, 09:43 PM
Anyone open the Herald article about the use of N02 sports ground?

A link to the article would be nice

TauZero
21-10-2019, 10:37 AM
I couldn't find the Herald article, but it refers to a discussion paper for the Newcastle council's strategic sports plan. A couple of quotes:

Sport Specific recommendations - Football (soccer):

« Designate Adamstown No 1, Darling St Oval and Arthur Edden Oval as venues for NPL games
« Utilise National Park No 2 Sportsground as a venue for NPL games. Prioritise highest level of competition/ events in all rectangular field sports when allocating use
« Ensure infrastructure at these grounds complies with NPL standards
« Develop a Master Plan to guide development of Arthur Edden Oval as a football centre of excellence and venue for NPL competition games (including possible synthetic surface)
« Progressively upgrade other grounds - playing surfaces, lighting, amenities, drainage/irrigation - in accordance with criteria to be developed (e.g. budget, designated hierarchy, usage levels, condition audits and code standards)
« Include football in the development of additional shared use fields as part of new land provision in the western growth corridor.

Regional and District Facility Master Planning - Arthur Edden Oval

Develop a Master Plan to guide redevelopment of this facility as a football centre of
excellence and to host National Premier League (NPL) competition games, and possible
installation of synthetic surface. (Other grounds designated for staging of NPL games are
National Park No 2, Adamstown No 1, and Darling St Oval).

I assume the paper itself will appear on the council's website at some stage.

Hunter403
21-10-2019, 05:54 PM
I couldn't find the Herald article, but it refers to a discussion paper for the Newcastle council's strategic sports plan. A couple of quotes:

With Cookers not getting the NPL nod, who would use No2?

Interesting figures in that article indicating that football (soccer) is far and away the biggest sport. Miles ahead of league and glaxies ahead of rugby. Rugby, according to the article, will be the big "loser" out of this.

Pressure will be on for the other Councils to keep up.

I'd love to know if there was any reference to ground sharing in the report. Is Harker Oval provately owned or a Council asset, and if so, should it be shared? Same applies to other sporting grounds with sinlge users including football grounds.

Ruud Van Nistelrooys Chin
21-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Interesting figures in that article indicating that football (soccer) is far and away the biggest sport. Miles ahead of league and glaxies ahead of rugby. Rugby, according to the article, will be the big "loser" out of this.

I'd love to know if there was any reference to ground sharing in the report. Is Harker Oval provately owned or a Council asset, and if so, should it be shared? Same applies to other sporting grounds with sinlge users including football grounds.

Harker is privately owned I believe. I know that Rugby would give the surface a once over at No.2, but I can’t believe that No.2 has never been mentioned as a possibility to host the NPL Grand Final. Mcdonald Jones failed as it was too big and cavernous - and certain clubs shouldn’t profit from hosting the grand final.

TauZero
21-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Harker is privately owned I believe. I know that Rugby would give the surface a once over at No.2, but I can’t believe that No.2 has never been mentioned as a possibility to host the NPL Grand Final. Mcdonald Jones failed as it was too big and cavernous - and certain clubs shouldn’t profit from hosting the grand final.

Harker is council owned, but managed by the (Wests dominated) New Lambton Ovals Board, along with Kentish, Ford, Lewis and Regent Park.
One of the recommendations is to get rid of Park committees - not sure if that includes this board.

Goatscheese
21-10-2019, 10:11 PM

Maybe Cooks Hill have had a hand in this and will use this as their entry point into the NPL

Newcastle city council have been behind for awhile so good to see them playing catch up

Jim
22-10-2019, 12:49 AM
A link to the article would be nice

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6444157/sports-fields-shake-up-rugby-clubs-could-be-moved-under-council-plan/?cs=7573

londonboy
22-10-2019, 10:30 AM
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6444157/sports-fields-shake-up-rugby-clubs-could-be-moved-under-council-plan/?cs=7573

The article discusses the report as mentioned above. Council have sent out consultations to current ground users to open discussions on the idea to convert Wickham Park into two AFL and use No.2 Sportsground as a venue for National Premier League soccer games. National Park to be upgraded so one side will be entirely for netball. Council have bought land in Maryland to build a new sports complex.

The article mentions Cooks Hill wanting to share No.2 with Wanderers, but the tone of the article suggests Council want it used for the most played sport in the city. Rugby people quoted as saying they'll "defend their turf vigorously" but you'd hope Council will push on and do what's best for the city. I agree NPL grand finals at No.2 make a lot of sense. Perhaps the Jets might look at No.2 as well when their lease is up at McDonald Jones?

plague
22-10-2019, 11:45 AM
I was always under the impression that Newcastle Rugby chipped in to the cost of the No#2 refurb.

If not then yeah, they are a tennant and can get in line like the rest.

Also if not, and the council spent all that coin on a rugby ground yet NNSW couldn't get a similar deal doesn't make NNSW look that good does it.

evolution
22-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Perhaps the Jets might look at No.2 as well when their lease is up at McDonald Jones?

Do No.2 up to be an all-seater like Hindmarsh and it would be perfect for us.

22-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Do No.2 up to be an all-seater like Hindmarsh and it would be perfect for us.

Beers at the Commy and Cricketers Arms and a short walk to the football...

ranger
22-10-2019, 07:54 PM

I’d love too see this be a possibility one day, even if for only a game or 2 each season.

evolution
22-10-2019, 08:44 PM

King St Maccas after the game...

22-10-2019, 09:02 PM
King St Maccas after the game...

Post match drinks at Number 5. BYO of course,

Jim
22-10-2019, 11:47 PM

The article discusses the report as mentioned above. Council have sent out consultations to current ground users to open discussions on the idea to convert Wickham Park into two AFL and use No.2 Sportsground as a venue for National Premier League soccer games. National Park to be upgraded so one side will be entirely for netball. Council have bought land in Maryland to build a new sports complex.

The article mentions Cooks Hill wanting to share No.2 with Wanderers, but the tone of the article suggests Council want it used for the most played sport in the city. Rugby people quoted as saying they'll "defend their turf vigorously" but you'd hope Council will push on and do what's best for the city. I agree NPL grand finals at No.2 make a lot of sense. Perhaps the Jets might look at No.2 as well when their lease is up at McDonald Jones?

Cheers. Lots of good suggestions thrown around. But we have to pay billions for Sydney's rail, road and tunnel projects first.

Wouldnt mind Wallarah & Blackley oval to be turned into synthetic football facility. Was hoping that district Pk would be one originally

late_to_the_game
23-10-2019, 07:39 AM
The consultants report basically ignored football. The NPL clubs are happy with the grounds they have but they want to mess with that.
The WPL teams need access to better grounds #2 for games only would be great - shared on Sundays between New Lambton and Merewether perhaps?
The report said that there are "sufficient" sports fields in Newcastle, but that they would have to be allocated better.
Seeing as a lot of clubs in the city turned players/teams away this season due to field constraints (Cooks Hill, New Lambton, Kotara, Merewether that I know of - but not really mentioned)
This is where we need Newcastle Football and NNSW to get together with the clubs and present a unified response during the comment period.

MFKS
23-10-2019, 08:33 PM
The consultants report basically ignored football. The NPL clubs are happy with the grounds they have but they want to mess with that.
The WPL teams need access to better grounds #2 for games only would be great - shared on Sundays between New Lambton and Merewether perhaps?
The report said that there are "sufficient" sports fields in Newcastle, but that they would have to be allocated better.
Seeing as a lot of clubs in the city turned players/teams away this season due to field constraints (Cooks Hill, New Lambton, Kotara, Merewether that I know of - but not really mentioned)
This is where we need Newcastle Football and NNSW to get together with the clubs and present a unified response during the comment period.

Biggest issue I see going forward is the lack of all weather pitches in Newy

Nearly all clubs in the NSWPL have one in 2019 and we got two in our entire federation and they done poorly and can barely host a crowd

Aegon
23-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Nearly all clubs in the NSWPL have one in 2019 and we got two in our entire federation and they done poorly and can barely host a crowd

This I agree with. The designer needs to be shot, the seating is very poorly designed.

plague
23-10-2019, 10:00 PM
This I agree with. The designer needs to be shot, the seating is very poorly designed.

i was always under the impression the company that made the grandstands just dropped them off at the ground and no one bothered to put them into the position they were meant to be in.

Aegon
23-10-2019, 11:25 PM
i was always under the impression the company that made the grandstands just dropped them off at the ground and no one bothered to put them into the position they were meant to be in.

Still a better explanation than someone wanted them to be where they ended up......

Jim
24-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Maybe Cooks Hill have had a hand in this and will use this as their entry point into the NPL

with "yearly reviews" for NPl this would make sense. I heard New Lambton are close to for NPL push as well but are still getting criteria in order.

I remember the Ruggers did put money into N02 and expect them to fight against new proposals.

Hunter403
24-10-2019, 04:38 PM
New Lambton could be an option for No2. They will never get into NPL while they play on Alder.

Goatscheese
24-10-2019, 11:04 PM
New Lambton could be an option for No2. They will never get into NPL while they play on Alder.

Probably next year why they are sharing Arthur Edden.

But let's not kid ourselves they will never get into NPL, Northern just don't really care about it.

Hunter403
24-10-2019, 11:27 PM

But let's not kid ourselves they will never get into NPL, Northern just don't really care about it.

Can't see Edden being shared with the mens teams. The ground is already sufferring from it level of use.

Thomas477
25-10-2019, 12:56 AM

Hmmm, trying to fit 5 days of football into 4 days per fortnight. Plus throwing in SAP.

Won’t happen, or if it does, expect the women to be played at Alder Park.

late_to_the_game
25-10-2019, 07:41 AM
Can't see Edden being shared with the mens teams. The ground is already sufferring from it level of use.

The so called consultant that Newcastle Council engaged wants to see a higher level of use at the NPL club grounds. 25 hours per week is their target.
They just never seem to get the needs of football.

Nou Camp
25-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Biggest issue I see going forward is the lack of all weather pitches in Newy

most of councils in sydney have recognised football as the most played sport and funding has been allocated accordingly
council here still think rugby league and cricket rule the world

Goatscheese
25-10-2019, 10:51 PM
Hmmm, trying to fit 5 days of football into 4 days per fortnight. Plus throwing in SAP.

Won’t happen, or if it does, expect the women to be played at Alder Park.

3 days of football, Jaffas Senior and Youth and New Lambton Seniors.

New Lambton Youth will stay at Alder Park

New Lambton WPL are using Darling Oval.

Hunter403
26-10-2019, 09:16 PM

If Edden wasn't bad enough....

Jim
27-10-2019, 04:21 PM
If Edden wasn't bad enough....

If Newcastle wasnt bad enough. Maybe excepting a couple.

Could Smith Park house an academy. Pretending the govt is willing to spend money out of Sydney of course.

Thomas477
27-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Jeez, I like their thinking, leech off the NPL clubs for ground maintenance and use the money they save to spend big on players to win more titles.

Johnno
27-10-2019, 10:56 PM
Jeez, I like their thinking, leech off the NPL clubs for ground maintenance and use the money they save to spend big on players to win more titles.

New Lambton WPL and HAmilton relationship over before it began back to Alder it would appear

Goatscheese
27-10-2019, 11:16 PM
New Lambton WPL and HAmilton relationship over before it began back to Alder it would appear

What happened there? Was looking forward to the Hamilton canteen when my partner's daughter's team came up against New Lambton

late_to_the_game
28-10-2019, 09:09 AM
There is no reason for Hamilton to want to share (unless cash changes hands). Any normal fee for use of the field goes to council.
My understanding was that Hamilton had an exclusive use agreement with council (part of the whole deal to get rid of cricket).

la bazzle
28-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Could Smith Park house an academy. Pretending the govt is willing to spend money out of Sydney of course.

Spot on. Lot's of room. Great location. #FixSmithPark

Goatscheese
28-10-2019, 09:41 PM
There is no reason for Hamilton to want to share (unless cash changes hands). Any normal fee for use of the field goes to council.
My understanding was that Hamilton had an exclusive use agreement with council (part of the whole deal to get rid of cricket).

Well I always assumed that Hamilton were only allowing it if it benefited them somehow.

late_to_the_game
31-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Next rumour, Wallsend WPL to Hamilton. Really hope not....(wrong thread again duh)

late_to_the_game
31-10-2019, 08:39 PM
Also New Lambton WPL coach gone...(sorry wrong thread)

Goatscheese
31-10-2019, 10:54 PM
Also New Lambton coach gone...

The head coach? Where has he gone?

Stanley
01-11-2019, 08:18 AM

People tend to forget LMRFF is a training facility and competition fixtures are not the main priority, NNSW football should develop the turfed outer ground as a competitions facility or alternatively develop Macquarie field into a regional facility, with Lake Macquarie having usage rights.

Stanley
01-11-2019, 08:27 AM

Who would benefit from the NPL GF being played at No. 2, at least clubs like Edgeworth and Magic, the only two club grounds capable of hosting GF invest the money back into facilities

pastor399
01-11-2019, 09:29 AM
People tend to forget LMRFF is a training facility and competition fixtures are not the main priority, NNSW football should develop the turfed outer ground as a competitions facility or alternatively develop Macquarie field into a regional facility, with Lake Macquarie having usage rights.

They are building another building adjacent the turfed outer ground, but the field upgrade and seating are not apart of it at the moment, just a building, some fences and new dugouts......
atleast the nominated seating area's are down the sideline on either side of halfway, not at the corner flags.....

https://i.imgur.com/N2UQOtSl.png (https://i.imgur.com/N2UQOtS.png)

Jardelsimage
01-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Use Macquarie Field, i said exactly the same to current and former current NNSW board members over the last couple of years, and basically was told, we discussed it, wont work.

Jardelsimage
01-11-2019, 11:48 AM
They are building another building adjacent the turfed outer ground, but the field upgrade and seating are not apart of it at the moment, just a building, some fences and new dugouts......
atleast the nominated seating area's are down the sideline on either side of halfway, not at the corner flags.....

https://i.imgur.com/N2UQOtSl.png (https://i.imgur.com/N2UQOtS.png)

they will need more parking...….

Dontknowmuch
04-11-2019, 11:07 AM
they will need more parking...Â….

If every NPL club stopped paying players (or dramatically reduced their payments) for 10 years we could pay for a synthetic pitch for every top NPL club in Newcastle maybe even take a little less time. Probably help get grants for ground facility upgrades as well. There is easily $1 million dollars a season wasted on player payments mainly generated from junior fees and local sponsors. All clubs should get together for the good of the game in Newcastle and put their hard earned money to some good. Players getting paid at this level is ridiculous especially the amounts that the top players get.

We should be working towards having a local Newcastle National League 2nd division team (if and when it ever takes off) as a whole not as an individual club, every club should have an ownership of a team in the Australian 2nd division comp it's the only way it could be sustainable, somewhere for our good young local kids to start their senior careers off in.

Clubs paying upto $100k a season on players to never make finals or be competitive needs to stop. So does the clubs who pay $100k plus to possibly win a trophy. We all complain about facilities and pitch conditions. We have the money to fix this but we choose to put it in players pockets. For the players small term pain for long term gain, for the club's nothing changes their just spending their money more wisely.

plague
04-11-2019, 11:42 AM
If every NPL club stopped paying players (or dramatically reduced their payments) for 10 years we could pay for a synthetic pitch for every top NPL club in Newcastle maybe even take a little less time. Probably help get grants for ground facility upgrades as well. There is easily $1 million dollars a season wasted on player payments mainly generated from junior fees and local sponsors. All clubs should get together for the good of the game in Newcastle and put their hard earned money to some good. Players getting paid at this level is ridiculous especially the amounts that the top players get.

We should be working towards having a local Newcastle National League 2nd division team (if and when it ever takes off) as a whole not as an individual club, every club should have an ownership of a team in the Australian 2nd division comp it's the only way it could be sustainable, somewhere for our good young local kids to start their senior careers off in.

Clubs paying upto $100k a season on players to never make finals or be competitive needs to stop. So does the clubs who pay $100k plus to possibly win a trophy. We all complain about facilities and pitch conditions. We have the money to fix this but we choose to put it in players pockets. For the players small term pain for long term gain, for the club's nothing changes their just spending their money more wisely.

isnt that what council is trying to do though?
give clubs better facilities in exchange for groundsharing?
sounds like theres an option there already for them to improve things.

Negative Police
04-11-2019, 10:23 PM

No clubs would trust each other for this one. Sponsorship, grants and some tradie help might get something done.

MFKS
05-11-2019, 12:57 PM

Truth bombs here

The amount of money pissed away on paying players at NPL level and below is a joke when the money should be better utilised training coaches and put into facilities so we can play the game when it rained 4 days prior etc

There is billions of $$ in the game in Oz and it ending up in the wrong locations

That is pretty damn obvious

boz-monaut
06-11-2019, 05:01 PM
has anyone actually read this report?

if not would you like a copy?

Aegon
06-11-2019, 05:08 PM
the council report? I didn't get a chance to read it and would like to.

boz-monaut
06-11-2019, 08:37 PM

let's see if that worked - I had to piss about with the file attachment settings

Negative Police
07-11-2019, 01:07 AM
RECOMMENDATION - Football (soccer)
« Designate Adamstown No 1, Darling St Oval and Arthur Edden Oval as venues for NPL games
« Utilise National Park No 2 Sportsground as a venue for NPL games. Prioritise highest level of competition/ events in all rectangular field sports when allocating use
« Ensure infrastructure at these grounds complies with NPL standards
« Develop a Master Plan to guide development of Arthur Edden Oval as a football centre of excellence and venue for NPL competition games (including possible synthetic surface)
« Progressively upgrade other grounds - playing surfaces, lighting, amenities, drainage/irrigation - in accordance with criteria to be developed (e.g. budget, designated hierarchy,
usage levels, condition audits and code standards)
« Include football in the development of additional shared use fields as part of new land provision in the western growth corridor.

Arent they already npl grounds? Nothing for Smith Park? Larger than Wallarah for development

plague
07-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Arent they already npl grounds? Nothing for Smith Park? Larger than Wallarah for development

id say there would be 2 reasons why not Smith Park.
Cricket/Oz tag usage would be severely impacted if dedicated rectangle structure was set up. There still needs to be ground space available to those sports.

After the Pasha Bulka floods the area was designated a higher flood risk (or something like that). Wonder if that impacts the ability to develop a site that size to essentially 'flood proof' it as would be required (esp by a public organisation).

la bazzle
07-11-2019, 10:32 AM

let's see if that worked - I had to piss about with the file attachment settings

Cheers Bozzle!

"Progressively upgrade other grounds" would love to know the other grounds.

Could save their money by not making 2 new AFL pitches.......

boz-monaut
07-11-2019, 11:56 AM
the thing is pretty light on detail

and yeah no mention of Smith Park, District Park or many other under utilised grounds around the LGA

YewYew
07-11-2019, 08:18 PM

Do broadmeadow own Magic Park then? And the outer grounds? neither mentioned in this report.

Any other teams own there ground?

howardyou
08-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Do broadmeadow own Magic Park then? And the outer grounds? neither mentioned in this report.

Any other teams own there ground?

It's Crown Land, not Council owned.

YewYew
12-11-2019, 08:41 PM
It's Crown Land, not Council owned.

Probably gives magic a leg up. Crown not going to turf them out like Council might

YewYew
31-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Any1 know what is happening with Olympics ground upgrades? These been talked about for long time now but not heard anything. Plan was to remove cricket pitch, demolition old grandstand and build new with tiered seating. did this get off the ground?

MFKS
31-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Any1 know what is happening with Olympics ground upgrades? These been talked about for long time now but not heard anything. Plan was to remove cricket pitch, demolition old grandstand and build new with tiered seating. did this get off the ground?

Thought they were also building a clubhouse over in the corner as well??

YewYew
20-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Just read that Olympics ground upgrades ain't happening cos of the sports ground grant Bullsh*t. they met all criteria but money went elsewhere. disgraceful.

Roundball Enthusiast
20-02-2020, 06:17 PM
Just read that Olympics ground upgrades ain't happening cos of the sports ground grant Bullsh*t. they met all criteria but money went elsewhere. disgraceful.

Disgraceful that one of the best elite grounds in the region isn't being upgraded over other grounds that don't even have irrigation or lights. What a shame.

Hurricane
20-02-2020, 06:38 PM

Where did you read this Yew

MFKS
20-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Disgraceful that one of the best elite grounds in the region isn't being upgraded over other grounds that don't even have irrigation or lights. What a shame.

Exactly what defines best and elite if you putting Darling Street Oval in that category??

Negative Police
21-02-2020, 01:19 AM
Where did you read this Yew

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6641597/cheated-hunter-club-stung-in-federal-sports-funding-saga/?cs=12

Now didnt these rorts happen in govt held seats? Pretty sure Newcastle is commy plus.

Hunter403
21-02-2020, 05:53 PM
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6641597/cheated-hunter-club-stung-in-federal-sports-funding-saga/?cs=12

Now didnt these rorts happen in govt held seats? Pretty sure Newcastle is commy plus.

The money went to Lib seats or where the Libs thought they had a chance of winning. Labor seats missed out.

$500k from Council, $500k from Feds and $200k from the club. Wow.

There are so many grounds in Newcastle that are more in need of Council's money than Darling Street, Kudos to the club for raising the $200k, talking Council into $500k and getting the bid approved by the sports commission. Pity for the club that it has fallen over.

Now, can Council spend that $500k on other grounds?????

Goatscheese
21-02-2020, 09:41 PM
The money went to Lib seats or where the Libs thought they had a chance of winning. Labor seats missed out.

Well went to Labour seats that might have swung to Liberal. The federal seat of Newcastle and for that matter the federal seat of Shortland will always vote ALP no matter what so both parties tend to ignore us because one knows there are no votes and the other knows they won't lose the votes.

It is impressive considering the amount of other fields that are in need for a 1/5 of that.

Doubt it, Newcastle Council doesn't like spending money on their grounds at the best of times.

Negative Police
21-02-2020, 10:17 PM
So their bid was given the green light as a Possible club to get the State funding? Or were they assured then lost it?

Man i think many clubs could do with 100k

YewYew
23-02-2020, 11:11 PM

There are so many grounds in Newcastle that are more in need of Council's money than Darling Street, Kudos to the club for raising the $200k, talking Council into $500k and getting the bid approved by the sports commission. Pity for the club that it has fallen over.

Olympic do all the work to get $1.2m, & now ovver clubs should get some of that now? Pull yr heads in. If ppl want to improve do the wrk to get the funds. Simples

Goatscheese
23-02-2020, 11:34 PM
Olympic do all the work to get $1.2m, & now ovver clubs should get some of that now? Pull yr heads in. If ppl want to improve do the wrk to get the funds. Simples

Yes the $1M from ratepayers and taxpayers should be spread amongst clubs.

Hunter403
24-02-2020, 08:56 AM

Firstly, Olympic did all the work and did not get the $1.2. The have $200k of their own money.

Read my post again. I asked if the $500k that Council set aside for what is now a failed bid should now be used on other grounds. I think using that money for sports fields rather than seeing it reallocated to some other project would be a desirable outcome.

So, pull your head in and read carefully before working yourself up.

finzee
24-02-2020, 07:15 PM

Did all the work? dig foundations, organise labour, ordered materials, had architects drawings ready or put paperwork in so that other tax payers can pay 80% to make one club huge. Rather everyone put in the forms and spread it round

YewYew
25-02-2020, 07:52 AM
Firstly, Olympic did all the work and did not get the $1.2. The have $200k of their own money.

Read my post again. I asked if the $500k that Council set aside for what is now a failed bid should now be used on other grounds. I think using that money for sports fields rather than seeing it reallocated to some other project would be a desirable outcome.

So, pull your head in and read carefully before working yourself up.

Olympic worked hard to put in a council approved grant. No1 else did. So now council now should just divvy up the $$$ to every1 else??? Council saw the opportunities in having another decent ground, to bid for other events. Spending that $$$ on fixing up parks ain’t gonna bring them nothing is it?

YewYew
25-02-2020, 07:53 AM
Did all the work? dig foundations, organise labour, ordered materials, had architects drawings ready or put paperwork in so that other tax payers can pay 80% to make one club huge. Rather everyone put in the forms and spread it round

Yeah, did all the work. Show me the ovver applications for that money.

I will wait.

Jardelsimage
25-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Yes the $1M from ratepayers and taxpayers should be spread amongst clubs.

If a club wants to do the work, prepare the paperwork to gain a government grant good on them and if other clubs want to do the same go ahead.
Seems like the typical tall poppy syndrome at the moment is alive and well in this town, we should be jumping up and down about the grants and where they went, not bagging a club for applying.
I think all the top clubs should be going for this sort of stuff. The Victorian PL is a classic example, the grounds/setups the top teams have down there, any club around here would sell there grandmother for.
So how about we embrace the fact they have the fortitude to go for it, and the upside would be that Magic wont get all the big games...…LOL.

boz-monaut
25-02-2020, 09:08 AM
much easier to have hashtags and pester comments on the Newcastle Herald Facebook page than actually plan and apply for grants

#dickheads

Swanky
25-02-2020, 10:57 AM
much easier to have hashtags and pester comments on the Newcastle Herald Facebook page than actually plan and apply for grants

#dickheads

100% correct

YewYew
25-02-2020, 12:26 PM
If a club wants to do the work, prepare the paperwork to gain a government grant good on them and if other clubs want to do the same go ahead.
Seems like the typical tall poppy syndrome at the moment is alive and well in this town, we should be jumping up and down about the grants and where they went, not bagging a club for applying.
I think all the top clubs should be going for this sort of stuff. The Victorian PL is a classic example, the grounds/setups the top teams have down there, any club around here would sell there grandmother for.
So how about we embrace the fact they have the fortitude to go for it, and the upside would be that Magic wont get all the big games...…LOL.

100% agree

Hunter403
25-02-2020, 02:10 PM
Olympic worked hard to put in a council approved grant. No1 else did. So now council now should just divvy up the $$$ to every1 else??? Council saw the opportunities in having another decent ground, to bid for other events. Spending that $$$ on fixing up parks ain’t gonna bring them nothing is it?

You are still not getting it. You seem to letting your warmth toward Olympic get in the way.

Firstly, good on Olympic for going for it. Would have been great to get it done...but it isn't getting done.

Secondly, Olympic aren't the only club that applied or does apply for grants.

My understanding is that the Council money was dependent on the governemnt grant. This is not unusual. No government grant means no Council money. All Olympic have is their own $200k. However, the Council clearly has earmarked $500k for the now failed grant.

The question I posed was this: Don't you think that the $500k from Council would be best spent sports grounds rather than footpaths or more market sites?

Perhaps you think that the failed bid should result in Olympic getting the $500k so they can half do the project?

Regardless of the politics, corruption etc that occurred, the bid unfortunately failed. So where should the Council $500k go? Edden, Alder, National Park? Or should Olympic get it and do half the job?

Discuss:

YewYew
25-02-2020, 03:02 PM
You are still not getting it. You seem to letting your warmth toward Olympic get in the way.

Firstly, good on Olympic for going for it. Would have been great to get it done...but it isn't getting done.

Secondly, Olympic aren't the only club that applied or does apply for grants.

My understanding is that the Council money was dependent on the governemnt grant. This is not unusual. No government grant means no Council money. All Olympic have is their own $200k. However, the Council clearly has earmarked $500k for the now failed grant.

The question I posed was this: Don't you think that the $500k from Council would be best spent sports grounds rather than footpaths or more market sites?

Perhaps you think that the failed bid should result in Olympic getting the $500k so they can half do the project?

Regardless of the politics, corruption etc that occurred, the bid unfortunately failed. So where should the Council $500k go? Edden, Alder, National Park? Or should Olympic get it and do half the job?

Discuss:

Well now you put it like that... my footpath needs fixing and me wife loves shopping so a market nearby wud be good. Do I send the application to u Hunter?

Hunter403
25-02-2020, 03:38 PM
Well now you put it like that... my footpath needs fixing and me wife loves shopping so a market nearby wud be good. Do I send the application to u Hunter?

No worries, so you would like to see the money go into general Council activities rather than grounds? Cool, each to their own. Personally, I'd love to see it used for better sporting facilities around town, particularly football.

Onyatoes
12-03-2020, 06:27 PM
No worries, so you would like to see the money go into general Council activities rather than grounds? Cool, each to their own. Personally, I'd love to see it used for better sporting facilities around town, particularly football.
Just saw this forum. Fave topic Council!. Olympic....failed bid and they vomited to the Herald about their "development and community" and their WPL.....what a crock. The grant was submitted before they even had WPL, they didn't get it because they were (and still are if we are all honest), a club with 200 male members looking to develop a facility in the heart of Newcastle's Bronx. Olympic inherited a WPL to play politics. Everyone knows it. Grant funds?......Aaahhh thanks but no thanks. I see NL are officially on Edden now according to draws in NEWFM. Once the ground is repaired they have 4 games and apparently a letter of intent for 2021. I have seen the independent audit about ground use and asset development recommendations in Newcastle Sports Grounds. Edden is slated to become what Olympic wanted. In the middle of the precinct. Olympic are miles off entering a national Second tier and Edden will house Jaffas, NL NPL and NL WPL. NL will go into an NPL now they have a foot in the door. Shrewd operators strong balance sheet and smarter than the clubs surrounding them. They have been planning this for 3 years.

Hunter403
12-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Just saw this forum. Fave topic Council!. Olympic....failed bid and they vomited to the Herald about their "development and community" and their WPL.....what a crock. The grant was submitted before they even had WPL, they didn't get it because they were (and still are if we are all honest), a club with 200 male members looking to develop a facility in the heart of Newcastle's Bronx. Olympic inherited a WPL to play politics. Everyone knows it. Grant funds?......Aaahhh thanks but no thanks. I see NL are officially on Edden now according to draws in NEWFM. Once the ground is repaired they have 4 games and apparently a letter of intent for 2021. I have seen the independent audit about ground use and asset development recommendations in Newcastle Sports Grounds. Edden is slated to become what Olympic wanted. In the middle of the precinct. Olympic are miles off entering a national Second tier and Edden will house Jaffas, NL NPL and NL WPL. NL will go into an NPL now they have a foot in the door. Shrewd operators strong balance sheet and smarter than the clubs surrounding them. They have been planning this for 3 years.

Mate, you seem to have some issues with current NPL clubs. Chill a bit.
Clearly you are heavily invested with New Lambton, and that is great, but the criticsim of nearby clubs is unnecessary. Each club does its best to do what it sees as its way forward. Olympic, Magic, and Jaffas were all New Lambtons in their past and did what NL is doing now, only they did it years ago. Credit where credit is due. All have worked hard to create good clubs and to improve their facilties where they can. Magic Park and Darling street are mostly like they are because of club effort.

Seems you were right on the New Lambton on Edden. Now a poor ground will only get worse. The repairs won't suddenly turn it into a playing paradise. Maybe NL would have been better using their bank balance to pay to use No 2. Now that would show intent and give the players a good surface. By the time the NL games on Edden come around, it will be no better than it is now. Perhaps NL see themselves as replacing Jaffas? Maybe you can enlighten us on the 3 years of planning? Is that their goal?

I too have seen the independent report. It is wonderful. The only thing missing is where the $ will come from to create the wonderful hub for football. I won't hold my breath waiting.

traffic light
12-03-2020, 10:17 PM
NL will go into an NPL now they have a foot in the door. Shrewd operators strong balance sheet and smarter than the clubs surrounding them. They have been planning this for 3 years.

10 years of fleecing juniors through one of the highest regos will do that.

Still chest puffing about having the most juniors in the southern hemisphere but cant get enough volunteers to do all the work?

Club isnt winning any integrity regardless where ever it goes

late_to_the_game
12-03-2020, 10:18 PM
I don't know how anyone thinks that one ground can support an NPL club (and youth + SAP teams), an NL1 club + youth teams and a WPL club/program. Or are all the youth teams getting punted to another facility?
Merewether United WPL have 5 games at Arthur Edden this year, we were hoping for all of them (2 are at #2 and 4 at Myamblah).

The simple reality is that there are not enough good quality facilities to support the desired use.

Council should move the athletics from Alder Park and let New Lambton go nuts.

Merewether can be friends with the Jaffa's.... and Arthur Edden not be a male only facility...

Honestly, whoever is making decisions in council has absolutely no clue...

YewYew
15-03-2020, 12:07 AM
I don't know how anyone thinks that one ground can support an NPL club (and youth + SAP teams), an NL1 club + youth teams and a WPL club/program. Or are all the youth teams getting punted to another facility?
Merewether United WPL have 5 games at Arthur Edden this year, we were hoping for all of them (2 are at #2 and 4 at Myamblah).

The simple reality is that there are not enough good quality facilities to support the desired use.

Council should move the athletics from Alder Park and let New Lambton go nuts.

Merewether can be friends with the Jaffa's.... and Arthur Edden not be a male only facility...

Honestly, whoever is making decisions in council has absolutely no clue...

I hear this. Jaffas run at Arthur Edden can’t stay like it us. NL sound like they gonna get a piece & yr Merewether girls playing there tells me time’s up on jaffas monopoly. Wallarah ain’t getting used like it should so why not make it all one big hub & let those 3 clubs share? NF don’t need Wallarah. All there net games can easy be played elsewhere. Some1 need to step up and get NF to share.

Hunter403
15-03-2020, 11:26 PM
I hear this. Jaffas run at Arthur Edden can’t stay like it us. NL sound like they gonna get a piece & yr Merewether girls playing there tells me time’s up on jaffas monopoly. Wallarah ain’t getting used like it should so why not make it all one big hub & let those 3 clubs share? NF don’t need Wallarah. All there net games can easy be played elsewhere. Some1 need to step up and get NF to share.

Why can't Jaffas run at Arthur Edden stay as it is? It is no different to Olympic on Darling Street, Edgy on Jack McLaoughlan, Lakes on Macquarie Field and Adamstown on Adamstown Oval. This argument about Jaffas and Edden is looking more and more like a campaign from New Lambton to get what they want.

So based on this, should Adamstown, Olympic, Magic, Edgy, Lakes, Weston, Maitland all be worried about their runs on their respective grounds being over? Should Edgy make room for Westy or Southy? Should Adamstown Oval and its multitude of surrounding grounds be shared with Wallsend or Kahibah or New Lambton?

IF the Wallarah/Blackley/Edden fields ever get turned into a regional hub with quality facilities (hopefully at some time while we all still breath), then bring on sharing. Until then, Edden can't cope, Wallarah is used by NF and Blackley is a goat track (I walk over it on the way to Jets games).

Perhaps, if what you say about NF not needing Wallarah is right, New Lambton could investigate playing there? Better than Alder.

MFKS
16-03-2020, 12:38 AM
Why can't Jaffas run at Arthur Edden stay as it is? It is no different to Olympic on Darling Street, Edgy on Jack McLaoughlan, Lakes on Macquarie Field and Adamstown on Adamstown Oval. This argument about Jaffas and Edden is looking more and more like a campaign from New Lambton to get what they want.

So based on this, should Adamstown, Olympic, Magic, Edgy, Lakes, Weston, Maitland all be worried about their runs on their respective grounds being over? Should Edgy make room for Westy or Southy? Should Adamstown Oval and its multitude of surrounding grounds be shared with Wallsend or Kahibah or New Lambton?

IF the Wallarah/Blackley/Edden fields ever get turned into a regional hub with quality facilities (hopefully at some time while we all still breath), then bring on sharing. Until then, Edden can't cope, Wallarah is used by NF and Blackley is a goat track (I walk over it on the way to Jets games).

Perhaps, if what you say about NF not needing Wallarah is right, New Lambton could investigate playing there? Better than Alder.

That being said

If you were to get New Lambton and the women plus Hard as playing there you starting to make a compelling case for the Council to install an artificial pitch aren't you??

Surely that is a way ahead for clubs and council with an artificial pitch increasing usage 5 fold

finzee
16-03-2020, 12:42 AM

So based on this, should Adamstown, Olympic, Magic, Edgy, Lakes, Weston, Maitland all be worried about their runs on their respective grounds being over? Should Edgy make room for Westy or Southy? Should Adamstown Oval and its multitude of surrounding grounds be shared with Wallsend or Kahibah or New Lambton?.

Exactly.

NL already have 3 grounds. Novo, Alder and a large share of Regent.

They used to share Adamstown No1 with Rosebuds. Cant get back there?

Starting to look like a hermit crab looking for an easy home.

Hunter403
16-03-2020, 01:00 AM
That being said

If you were to get New Lambton and the women plus Hard as playing there you starting to make a compelling case for the Council to install an artificial pitch aren't you??

Surely that is a way ahead for clubs and council with an artificial pitch increasing usage 5 fold

Chicken and egg stuff.
Get the facilities right first or flog the current facilities in the hope they will be made right? I'm not holding my breath that Council will ever act on the grounds plan

Thomas477
16-03-2020, 10:57 PM
This argument about Jaffas and Edden is looking more and more like a campaign from New Lambton to get what they want.

Think you hit the nail on the head there mate.

NL are a club who look for an easy fix vs trying to improve their own facilities. First it was Adamstown, now they’re trying it with Edden.

Onyatoes
17-03-2020, 12:22 AM

NL are a club who look for an easy fix vs trying to improve their own facilities. First it was Adamstown, now theyÂ’re trying it with Edden. Does anyone in these threads actually have an idea or do they simply spew forth drivel and make it up as they go? History Lesson. 1917 football played at Hobart Road by New Lambton under association governance. 1946/47 saw the Monash Road precinct (Wallarah) developed with New Lambton as Champions of 1st Div. In 1974/75 New Lambton were again 1st Div Champions and Runners Up in State Cup (FFA Cup). They played out of..... Edden and in 1981, they were relegated and blamed for damage at Edden when Jaffas moved in. Damage that Jaffas admit was at their hand if you listen to urban local gossip. New Lambton were financially gone and headed to 5th Division where they played over a period against clubs like Broadmeadow Macedonia and Hamilton Olympic. As they moved back up Divisions they ended up at Adamstown where they owned ZPL for a decade. NCC moved them to Alder when Rosebuds were promoted from NEWFM back to NPL and NPL criteria kicked in. Just as their Committee started to develop commercially and their Juniors boomed. Council promised them Alder Development which they backed out of. NL then turned their attention to Council who eventually suggested joint Edden development as it was underutilised. NL jumped at it. Jaffas stalled but knew they needed a partner. NL at Edden means they are simply going home you moron. Postcode 2305.....check maps. There are so many parrots around football locally who have a very single minded view of tomorrow and no idea of yesterday. All the clubs locally and all codes, need to take stock of their future. There will be ground sharing and there will be old clubs and new clubs positioning for power. NL simply have the numbers, real diversity, and it appears vision. Long overdue in local football full of rubbish clubs with no footprint.

Barry Dawson
17-03-2020, 09:16 AM
It probably the more recent history - 6 plus years - that tells the story as to why NL is where it is today. And people need to inform themselves before throwing too many stones. ItÂ’s Council peoples comments should be thrown at.

NL were relocated to Alder off Adamstown Oval in the lead up to the first season of the then “new” NPL - as NNSW wanted clubs have monolpoly on their grounds. Council gave Alder to NL with the promise of building something better.

The application for a Premier Comp ticket has to be accompanied by a letter of support from Council - recognising tenure and the capital investment needed to comply with NNSW Facility Requirements - NL have this letter.

Council approve the first Version of the Alder Master Plan and based on the letter of support NL go about getting it done. Lights, drainage, irrigation, fences etc. $300,000.

NL get held over a barrel by Council and Athletics - expand scope of drainage and irrigation to cover whole athletics track or no project. $22,000 extra.

No council money has been used to this point.

The day after water is turned on - Council turn it off and seize control of it. Pitch fence now becomes “temporary” and every season 40 members erect in sleeves under the ground and dust mantle and store at seasons end.

The Masterplan is halted. Then new version approved and then halted. This occurs every year multiple times. Council will not let NL use it own money to improve the facility.

There are too many examples of this lunacy in the last 6 years.

All the way along NL have said to Council - if you wonÂ’t let us develop Alder, send us somewhere that complies. NL have tried Harker, Waratah and even the Showground.

The latest was October last year. councillors and Council management stand out on Alder pledging support for the Alder Masterplan - commitment pulled early December.

Council send email to NL - “send us your application for Edden oval.” They want NL to put their money into developing Edden. They believe the Strategic Sports Plan gives them the political push.

I know people on here wonÂ’t give 2 shits or care about what NL have gone through to this point - but the goal is NPL and continuing to provide football opportunities to people of different levels of ability, age and sex. Pretty fair objective in my view.

Peoples negativity should be aimed at Council for being plonkers and oxygen thieves with zero strategic vision.

Volunteers waste enormous hours and community money for nit a lot of outcome most of the time. Councils job appears to facilitate this wastage.

samcan
17-03-2020, 03:38 PM
Council send email to NL - “send us your application for Edden oval. They want NL to put their money into developing Edden. They believe the Strategic Sports Plan gives them the political push.

I know people on here wonÂ’t give 2 shits or care about what NL have gone through to this point - but the goal is NPL and continuing to provide football opportunities to people of different levels of ability, age and sex. Pretty fair objective in my view.

Peoples negativity should be aimed at Council for being plonkers and oxygen thieves with zero strategic vision.

Volunteers waste enormous hours and community money for nit a lot of outcome most of the time. Councils job appears to facilitate this wastage.

Actually people want whats best for local football or any club that wants to climb and improve but when you have "onyabike" moaning and whinging like a petulant kid about other clubs it doesnt help your cause one bit. The fact that NL cant develop Alder is a crime. Council likes to paint far too many rainbows before other infrastructure gets the nod.

late_to_the_game
17-03-2020, 09:53 PM

Cannot agree strongly enough with this comment.

In Merewether's response to the councils strategic plan we suggested that one of the metrics the parks officers should be measured on is the amount of non-council dollars spent on upgrading facilities. i.e. encourage them to say YES not NO ALL THE F&*ken time...

We put in a proposal for a storm water harvesting system, fully club funded in September. Got all sorts of reasons why it could not be done. Strangely got a call from council today, it had found its way to someone who actually cared...

howardyou
17-03-2020, 11:37 PM

NL are a club who look for an easy fix vs trying to improve their own facilities. First it was Adamstown, now they’re trying it with Edden.

Haha seriously? I've been involved from a committee level at NL for 10 years. One of my main roles has been to try and get development done at Alder Park after we got pushed there 7 years ago . Brick wall after brick wall. Promise after promise with no result.
We have the grants, funds and resources to carry out fencing, lighting and grandstand projects, but have been stonewalled by NCC time after time. Now this new strategic report is being used to say that it's not an NPL ground and never will be - even though it's probably in a perfect location for it.
Told to use apply for an NPL ground if we want NPL status. Simple.

Hunter403
18-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Haha seriously? I've been involved from a committee level at NL for 10 years. One of my main roles has been to try and get development done at Alder Park after we got pushed there 7 years ago . Brick wall after brick wall. Promise after promise with no result.
We have the grants, funds and resources to carry out fencing, lighting and grandstand projects, but have been stonewalled by NCC time after time. Now this new strategic report is being used to say that it's not an NPL ground and never will be - even though it's probably in a perfect location for it.

Firstly, congrats for being on the committee for so long. Well done in what can be a frustrating job.

Clearly from what you and Barry say, Council change their mind like the wind changes direction. It only reinforces my belief that the grounds strategic plan will never be fully implemented.

Your comment that the club has been told that if they want to be an NPL club then they should apply for an NPL ground. Which organisation said that??? As a follow on, if that is the course of action and NL have decided that they want that ground to be Edden, has anyone sat down with Jaffas and had a sensible conversation and come up with a joint approach (best leave onyatoes out of it as he clearly has an issue with Jaffas)??? From what I have heard, Jaffas were blindsided by NL getting games on Edden this year. Surely, if you want to share a ground with another club, a good starting point would be their cooperation and support??

On another part of the strategic plan: it talks to No 2 becoming an NPL ground. Is there talk of this option being taken up by Cookers or NL? They seem the best located and with the most ambition. It would be a shame to see Council identify it as a football ground and to then not use it. Rugby will leap back in.

Hunter403
18-03-2020, 03:16 PM
Does anyone in these threads actually have an idea or do they simply spew forth drivel and make it up as they go? History Lesson. 1917 football played at Hobart Road by New Lambton under association governance. 1946/47 saw the Monash Road precinct (Wallarah) developed with New Lambton as Champions of 1st Div. In 1974/75 New Lambton were again 1st Div Champions and Runners Up in State Cup (FFA Cup). They played out of..... Edden and in 1981, they were relegated and blamed for damage at Edden when Jaffas moved in. Damage that Jaffas admit was at their hand if you listen to urban local gossip. New Lambton were financially gone and headed to 5th Division where they played over a period against clubs like Broadmeadow Macedonia and Hamilton Olympic. As they moved back up Divisions they ended up at Adamstown where they owned ZPL for a decade. NCC moved them to Alder when Rosebuds were promoted from NEWFM back to NPL and NPL criteria kicked in. Just as their Committee started to develop commercially and their Juniors boomed. Council promised them Alder Development which they backed out of. NL then turned their attention to Council who eventually suggested joint Edden development as it was underutilised. NL jumped at it. Jaffas stalled but knew they needed a partner. NL at Edden means they are simply going home you moron. Postcode 2305.....check maps. There are so many parrots around football locally who have a very single minded view of tomorrow and no idea of yesterday. All the clubs locally and all codes, need to take stock of their future. There will be ground sharing and there will be old clubs and new clubs positioning for power. NL simply have the numbers, real diversity, and it appears vision. Long overdue in local football full of rubbish clubs with no footprint.

Thanks for the history lesson. Perhaps leaning a little in a certain direction, but still interesting.

Basing club locations on their name and postcode? Really? Better move Newcastle Jets, Chalrestown, Wallsend, Cookers, Maitland, Valentine.

Your passion is great, but as I suggested earlier, turn down the criticisms of other clubs. They all do their best. Maybe you don't agree, but each club has a plan they are working to. Your "rubbish clubs with no footprint" comment just paints you as a bitter nutter. By all means, argue your point, but leave the histrionics out of it.

Eastwest
20-03-2020, 04:42 PM

Council stating what can and cant be a NPL ground is ridiculous.

You would think that if a club had a large % of private funds to improve another council ground theyd be well advised to go for it. Providing the the people close by are cool with it.

Goatscheese
20-03-2020, 07:12 PM
Council stating what can and cant be a NPL ground is ridiculous.

You would think that if a club had a large % of private funds to improve another council ground theyd be well advised to go for it. Providing the the people close by are cool with it.

Councils like power, it's why Councillors end up in council and not in state and federal, while all levels love power the lowest ones don't know how to handle it properly.

Jim
22-03-2021, 10:49 PM
Develop a Master Plan to guide development of Arthur Edden Oval as a football centre of excellence and venue for NPL competition games (including possible synthetic surface)

wonder if the council has looked at this? More wet weather venues needed.

Bremsstrahlung
23-03-2021, 07:51 AM
6 out of 12 NPL1 NSW clubs have synthetic pitches. I found that a little surprising.
I think it’d be a big step for a local team to be the first to take that plunge.

It’s been a while since I played on synthetic, so I’m not sure my personal experience is up to date with newest synthetic technologies.
My experience was a 30+ degree day down in Sydney. Field was watered and pretty slippery to begin with, then turned into a sauna and then any skin contact ensured some skin burns.

There were a few injury concerns a few years ago.
What’re the general feels from players about the Lake Macquarie synthetic pitches?

sapdad
23-03-2021, 12:16 PM
I copied this from another thread as it is more relevant here.

Sharing grounds is the most untenable idea there is. Without even going into the dynamics of different clubs working together (which is 0% chance of success), there purely is not enough space/time in a week to share a field.
If it's a match day venue only, possibly.
But clubs struggle to find room for teams to train as it is. If the quality is to improve across all football (which is what we all want) the players need to be on the field more often, not in the corner of a field more often.

I agree with your overall point,but if NNSW wants better quality matchday facilities and council is wiling to help fund it then i can quite clearly see where the issue really is here.
Any club official that finds it too traumatic to deal with another club to get a benefit for both of them isnt fit to sit on a committee anyway.Each club can keep and upgrade their own training facilities, but the idea that we cant build a compliant venue to cater to 2 x matchdays per weekend is absurd and shortsighted.NL especially should be bending over backwards to get a deal done if it means they get into NPL because of it.

rod
23-03-2021, 03:26 PM
6 out of 12 NPL1 NSW clubs have synthetic pitches. I found that a little surprising.
I think it’d be a big step for a local team to be the first to take that plunge.

It’s been a while since I played on synthetic, so I’m not sure my personal experience is up to date with newest synthetic technologies.
My experience was a 30+ degree day down in Sydney. Field was watered and pretty slippery to begin with, then turned into a sauna and then any skin contact ensured some skin burns.

There were a few injury concerns a few years ago.
What’re the general feels from players about the Lake Macquarie synthetic pitches?

No player who plays regularly on synthetic enjoys synthetic
grass will always be superior
give me a bumpy dusty ground with a cricket pitch in the middle any day

Hunter403
23-03-2021, 06:07 PM
As much as we would all like to play on nice grass fields and train on something similar, the simple fact is that as the populations of Newcaslte and Lake Macquarie have grown, the development of more sporting fields to follow that population growth has not occurred.

In Sydney it is predicted that within 20 years the population will be such that the pressure on sports fileds will require mid week games and heavy use of fields. We are going down the same track here.

As councils have not created the required fields over the last decades and also failed to update the facilities they have over time (hence the mad rush now to renew sports fields everywhere) the short fall will become more pronounced.

Now add to this the fact that many of the sports fields are built on low lying ex swamps (think anything in the Lambton/New Lambton/Broadmeadow and Adamstown areas). Now add the booming number of kids playing the game.

The only viable answers are build more fields (which won't happen cause there aint no more land), or put in hard wearing all weather fields.

The surface is hot, burns skin when you slide and is expensive to replace. Still, I'd bet it is cheaper than obtaining the land and building new grounds.

boz-monaut
23-03-2021, 06:20 PM
the other option is to just have sporting complexes located outside metro areas

because it doesnt really matter if a sportsfield is flooded once every 5, 10 or 100 years

we have an enormous amount of land in the lower Hunter that's not suitable for most land uses due to flooding - we should be building sports fields in that land - I think the Sandgate/Hexham area would be perfect but there's plenty of others

if you put the facilities above flood level, then they can be insured and there's minimal risk

this planning isn't anything new and is happening all over the nation, one humorous example is the large population of migrants from India in north western Sydney has let to a huge lack of cricket fields

Jim
23-03-2021, 10:11 PM
give me a bumpy dusty ground with a cricket pitch in the middle any day

That ground will still be washed out for x rounds a year and mainly unplayable when on. Include training we miss hours/days of playing time each year.

Just put in more synth grounds. At least training stays on and some games get played. Then we can lose these stupid catch up weekends and play more rounds in the year.

scowling
24-03-2021, 09:45 AM
That ground will still be washed out for x rounds a year and mainly unplayable when on. Include training we miss hours/days of playing time each year.

Just put in more synth grounds. At least training stays on and some games get played. Then we can lose these stupid catch up weekends and play more rounds in the year.
I agree, surely synthetic is the future.
After being fortunate to travel to Portugal/Spain in 2019 where I witnessed almost 100% synthetic pitches, then seeing games played at Cromer Park on almost 100% synthetic, and then a club visit to Fraser Park on 100% synthetic.. I'm convinced.
The synthetic of today is a LONG way from the synthetic of my youth. If properly prepared it is no problem to play on. Granted, grass will always be better but the reality is upon us... Its either not raining and the tracks get run down through sheer volume of play, or it's rained (even a little bit) and they're out of play.
Something has to change.

Hunter403
24-03-2021, 01:53 PM
the other option is to just have sporting complexes located outside metro areas

because it doesnt really matter if a sportsfield is flooded once every 5, 10 or 100 years

we have an enormous amount of land in the lower Hunter that's not suitable for most land uses due to flooding - we should be building sports fields in that land - I think the Sandgate/Hexham area would be perfect but there's plenty of others

if you put the facilities above flood level, then they can be insured and there's minimal risk

this planning isn't anything new and is happening all over the nation, one humorous example is the large population of migrants from India in north western Sydney has let to a huge lack of cricket fields

Good idea but you will never get anything approved on the Hexham wetlands. Additionally, people are lazy, will they travel out there a couple of nights per week and on weekends?

rod
24-03-2021, 01:53 PM
but hang on they've been playing this game for over a century on grass... why is it all of a sudden a problem that needs to be addressed and not just worked around? it's just part of football surely. we reschedule and get on with it. sometimes fields get damaged and the quality of play drops but thats just another element of the game. it doesn't always have to be pretty to watch. doesn't it rain constantly in the UK? how do they manage it? synthetic pitches are expensive I'd rather see the money go elsewhere

Goatscheese
24-03-2021, 09:52 PM
but hang on they've been playing this game for over a century on grass... why is it all of a sudden a problem that needs to be addressed and not just worked around? it's just part of football surely. we reschedule and get on with it. sometimes fields get damaged and the quality of play drops but thats just another element of the game. it doesn't always have to be pretty to watch. doesn't it rain constantly in the UK? how do they manage it? synthetic pitches are expensive I'd rather see the money go elsewhere

It's always been a problem (or people didn't give a ****, I remember playing with the goal mouths under water, or large puddles across the field), the difference now though is that there is now a solution to the problem.

There are 2 issues with synthetic though, in Australia your feet feeling like they are burning when it is over 25 and sunny and apparently players are more prone to injuries and worse ones than on grass.

rod
25-03-2021, 12:01 AM
It's always been a problem (or people didn't give a ****, I remember playing with the goal mouths under water, or large puddles across the field), the difference now though is that there is now a solution to the problem.

There are 2 issues with synthetic though, in Australia your feet feeling like they are burning when it is over 25 and sunny and apparently players are more prone to injuries and worse ones than on grass.

plus you can't really do slide tackles... or can you? does it burn? you can't take away slide tackles man

Jim
25-03-2021, 12:26 AM
plus you can't really do slide tackles... or can you? does it burn? you can't take away slide tackles man

You can if you like. But footy being played is first priority.

scowling
25-03-2021, 10:09 AM

To be fair, Spain gets pretty hot, and it didn't seem to me that it was particularly a problem. And grounds in Australia already using synthetic seem to have solved for this?
I don't know enough to speak to injuries, but I'd like to see some research on it.

scowling
25-03-2021, 10:10 AM

I did not see a change in football behaviour at all, there were definitely slide tackles. Definitely no burns - admittedly a small sample size (<50 games) - in our players.

scowling
25-03-2021, 10:17 AM
Interesting report from WA
"The use of a softer polyethylene based fibre and the ability of the surface to take a normal stud has resulted in it becoming an acceptable surface for sports such as soccer and rugby. The rubber infill, sometimes with a shock pad for added safety, have made third generation synthetic turf more acceptable for most of the sports where a player might occasionally slide, fall to the ground, or land from height. These third generation pitches are now becoming popular in Australia, and will increasingly be seen in the future being used for Australian Rules football and cricket (outfields), and for multi-sport usage."
From here: https://www.dlgsc.wa.gov.au/department/publications/publication/natural-grass-vs-synthetic-turf-study-report

Aegon
25-03-2021, 08:50 PM
Timely article:

https://footballnsw.com.au/2021/03/24/synthetic-fields-continues-to-grow-across-nsw/?fbclid=IwAR2BwfGdzlLMZ-CFOAcGOPaClicjWvzPW4bfNclmvLjrQYrJG-h67rRNxP0

Imyourhero
25-03-2021, 10:12 PM
How does our synthetic field compare to the newer Sydney based fields in regards to the type of materials used?

Goatscheese
25-03-2021, 11:33 PM

You can, just get grazes along your legs

And grounds in Australia already using synthetic seem to have solved for this?

What was their solution?

scowling
26-03-2021, 09:43 AM
You can, just get grazes along your legs

What was their solution?

Sorry 'cheese, was a question rather than a statement. My assumption is they *have* solved it.
My guess is that they are using the more modern synthetic which doesn't cause the same issues. I seriously didn't see any grazes on legs - so it must not be a problem anymore.

Captain_Carl
19-11-2021, 09:09 AM
It is wonderful to see the work being undertaken at Valo’s CB. A lot of activity there.

Lichael Richards
24-08-2022, 07:59 PM
It is wonderful to see the work being undertaken at Valo’s CB. A lot of activity there.

Should be finished soon?

Aegon
24-08-2022, 09:51 PM
Should be finished soon?

Field relocation after seasons end. Hopefully everything finished by the start of next season

Meggsy
15-02-2023, 03:21 PM
Noticed new lighting has been installed at Harold Knight Oval (ex Charlestown Hotspurs home ground). Also read on the LMCC website that a new sports complex is being built on the site https://www.lakemac.com.au/Projects/Harold-Knight-Sports-Complex
Does anyone know which sport/clubs will be utilising the new facilities?

matmoncrieff
15-02-2023, 03:47 PM
Noticed new lighting has been installed at Harold Knight Oval (ex Charlestown Hotspurs home ground). Also read on the LMCC website that a new sports complex is being built on the site https://www.lakemac.com.au/Projects/Harold-Knight-Sports-Complex
Does anyone know which sport/clubs will be utilising the new facilities?

That is a facility that Kahibah FC have been waiting a long time to be developed.

Eastwest
22-02-2023, 04:01 PM
Lighting is something that has improved quite a bit in Newy. Synthetic pitches a disgrace.

riverboy
22-04-2023, 08:58 AM
Another year, more rain and more ground closures. The same suspects, Hexham park, marks oval, Evans park and Gregory park.
What's the top 5 worst grounds for wet weather in the area?

Jardelsimage
24-04-2023, 09:35 AM
Another year, more rain and more ground closures. The same suspects, Hexham park, marks oval, Evans park and Gregory park.
What's the top 5 worst grounds for wet weather in the area?

Evans Park No2, no drainage at all, No1 played Saturday.
No2 is the worst in the area.

Reds Forever
24-04-2023, 11:21 AM
Macquarie Field would have to be worst in my opinion. Rarely get on no matter how minimal rain has been.

chook
02-03-2024, 06:28 PM
BUMP. Olympic, Adamstown and Cooks Hill premier pitches looking in bad shape. Cue council, drainage overused.

Two tone
03-03-2024, 09:10 PM
Maybe the grounds have a bug 🐛 you being a chook maybe you can help them out?

Eastwest
04-03-2024, 04:09 PM
BUMP. Olympic, Adamstown and Cooks Hill premier pitches looking in bad shape. Cue council, drainage overused.

have they turned into rhombus or parallelogram?

Bremsstrahlung
04-03-2024, 11:00 PM
have they turned into rhombus or parallelogram?

Sir, this is not Reddit.

If it was, take my upvote.