PDA

View Full Version : 2020 National Premier League thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

ForeverRed
17-11-2020, 11:37 AM
Shut up. It’s local league football. I think players deserve a bit of time off before training again.
Of course, but make sure you pay me the big dollars I’m asking to play “local league” as you call it

Blueboy
17-11-2020, 12:02 PM
Of course, but make sure you pay me the big dollars I’m asking to play “local league” as you call it

Fair point, but the season is over. It’s could the off season for a reason.

Alton
17-11-2020, 04:07 PM
It’s called professionalism, this is why the game will not grow in Newcastle, suck it up men and see where it takes you snowflakes

You have to be kidding Red

ForeverRed
17-11-2020, 05:39 PM
You have to be kidding Red🎣🎣🎣

Reds Forever
17-11-2020, 05:56 PM
You have to be kidding Red

I actually agree with ForeverRed here.

Have a testing session after GF and plans to start offseason training shortly is not too much to ask considering the season just gone.

Season was only 13 games with Edgey having number of byes towards season. Plus we had no training or games for extended part of season due to lockdown.

Would have different opinion if full season like normal, but this wasn't a normal season. Plus you want to start off season training shortly to try and readjust to normal season.

Feel for the new coach, trying to raise the level and finds himself out the door due to a player revolt.

Goatscheese
17-11-2020, 10:10 PM
I actually agree with ForeverRed here.

Are you agreeing with yourself?

Walker
18-11-2020, 03:33 PM
I know I’ve been banging on about Lakes but after today they are now in their 2nd 18NPL grand final in three years.
Some good things coming out of the club. Resies and 18s have been strong now for three or four years which is a good thing for the NPL generally. It’s a healthy competition if the not-so-glamorous teams can perform at least in the lower grades.

Hopefully there are good things coming, the area needs and deserves a strong club, something that just hasn’t been there.
So couple of questions
If the Resies and 18 are so strong what is the deal with Josh Maguire ?? Nothing against the player personally but why pull a 40yo to the club, what message is this sending to the young ones. Same with Cowburn, if he is coming in with a game day only clause that sucks, youth train, play all year, no worries Mr Cowburn plays weekends, just sets a really poor example

The club has certainly struggled over the past few years. Sticking to a no spend policy and certainly concentrating on younger player. This last week just seems to be off track.
Surely there is someone in their lower grades, or young ones from Magic, Olympic or Jaffas reserve grade, some great talent in those squads, not getting much opportunity.
Just would have thought that to be a better long term approach

The Hacker
18-11-2020, 10:27 PM
Hopefully there are good things coming, the area needs and deserves a strong club, something that just hasn’t been there.
So couple of questions
If the Resies and 18 are so strong what is the deal with Josh Maguire ?? Nothing against the player personally but why pull a 40yo to the club, what message is this sending to the young ones. Same with Cowburn, if he is coming in with a game day only clause that sucks, youth train, play all year, no worries Mr Cowburn plays weekends, just sets a really poor example

The club has certainly struggled over the past few years. Sticking to a no spend policy and certainly concentrating on younger player. This last week just seems to be off track.
Surely there is someone in their lower grades, or young ones from Magic, Olympic or Jaffas reserve grade, some great talent in those squads, not getting much opportunity.
Just would have thought that to be a better long term approach

The only way Josh Maguire should be there is coaching wise. Surely a 40yr old that has been playing ZPL for a few years ain’t making you stronger playing wise

LongSufferingFan
22-11-2020, 02:19 PM
I know I’ve been banging on about Lakes but after today they are now in their 2nd 18NPL grand final in three years.
Some good things coming out of the club. Resies and 18s have been strong now for three or four years which is a good thing for the NPL generally. It’s a healthy competition if the not-so-glamorous teams can perform at least in the lower grades.
To underline the above point:
Lakes 18s won the grand final today 3-1 over Magic, and
Lakes were announced as NNSW football’s NPL club of the year for 2020 at the Jennings medal awards last night.

Hurricane
22-11-2020, 03:32 PM
To underline the above point:
Lakes were announced as NNSW football’s NPL club of the year for 2020 at the Jennings medal awards last night.

Lakes being named club of the year is nearly as big a joke as Northern's 3 minute presentation video.
Could you get more amateurish if you tried

Negative Police
22-11-2020, 03:48 PM

Well done. Good to see player strength being shared around.

CHAMP
22-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Was the Lakes 1st grade coach there to watch them?

LongSufferingFan
22-11-2020, 05:50 PM
Lakes being named club of the year is nearly as big a joke as Northern's 3 minute presentation video.
Could you get more amateurish if you tried
Why a joke Hurricane?
I don’t know what the club of the year criteria is but I’m guessing it’s more to do with the off field outcomes more than the on field. As I have flagged in a post a week or so ago the club has captured my attention this year with a more active and organised committee that is promoting itself as investing in youth development while advertising they have the lowest Youth and sap rego fees in the competition. This could be right given the success of the lower senior grades and what little of their sap teams I’ve seen look competitive.

Do you have a reason to justify your joke tag or is it just A lack of awareness of what other clubs are doing?

Hurricane
22-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Why a joke Hurricane?
I don’t know what the club of the year criteria is but I’m guessing it’s more to do with the off field outcomes more than the on field. As I have flagged in a post a week or so ago the club has captured my attention this year with a more active and organised committee that is promoting itself as investing in youth development while advertising they have the lowest Youth and sap rego fees in the competition. This could be right given the success of the lower senior grades and what little of their sap teams I’ve seen look competitive.

Do you have a reason to justify your joke tag or is it just A lack of awareness of what other clubs are doing?

Hey Long, I think club of the year should be based on a number of factors, including on ground results as well as improvements off the ground.
The reason I think Lakes getting club of the year is as follows and this is nothing against Lakes , NNSW gave the award.
13s Last
14s Last
15s 8th
16s 11th

18s 3rd and gf winners congratulations
Reserve 6th
1st Last

A poor season with 3 teams coming last including 1st grade and another team second last. Hardly an earmark for club of the year.

I don't see a great deal of improvement off the field sorry, the ground and facilities look the same as they did back in the 90's.

I can't comment on the committee sorry. But I can't look at it any other way from these results, other than calling it a joke sorry

JustHearThings
23-11-2020, 10:18 AM
Hey Long, I think club of the year should be based on a number of factors, including on ground results as well as improvements off the ground.
The reason I think Lakes getting club of the year is as follows and this is nothing against Lakes , NNSW gave the award.
13s Last
14s Last
15s 8th
16s 11th

18s 3rd and gf winners congratulations
Reserve 6th
1st Last

A poor season with 3 teams coming last including 1st grade and another team second last. Hardly an earmark for club of the year.

I don't see a great deal of improvement off the field sorry, the ground and facilities look the same as they did back in the 90's.

I can't comment on the committee sorry. But I can't look at it any other way from these results, other than calling it a joke sorry

Have to agree with this, not sure what the criteria is but as far as progress I can't see this club being at the top.

Hurricane
23-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Let's start the player rumour mill.
Lake Macquarie
Nick Cowburn. Josh Maguire. Declan Crook.
Adamstown
No signings
Valentine
Matt Thompson. Joel Wood. Ryan Clarke.
Weston
Nathan Lazada. Stuey Plant. Mitch Dobson
Lambton
Reece Papas. Johnny Maj. Dino Fan
Maitland
Alex Read. Charlie Cox. Chris Fayers. Lachlan Watson. Tyrell Paulson
Olympic
Jacob Bailey. Tom Davies. Luke Rutledge. Luke Vallone. Louis Townsend. Dan Eisanhauer.
Charlestown
Aaron Oppedisano. Harry Frendo. Jetty White. Dylan Burston
Magic
Jose Attadaye. Keanu Moore. Kale Bradbury. Nathan Cavalerie
Edgeworth
Lee Sterrey

JustHearThings
23-11-2020, 04:27 PM
Lake Macquarie
Adamstown
No signings
Valentine
Weston
Lambton
Maitland
Olympic
Jacob Bailey. Tom Davies. Luke Rutledge. Luke Vallone. Louis Townsend. Dan Eisanhauer.
Charlestown
Magic
Edgeworth
Lee Sterrey

I presume that's Dino faj for Lambton? Wonder if he has told Olympic as he was announced as resigning not too long ago.

Have the valo ones been confirmed yet aswell?

Johnno
23-11-2020, 04:43 PM
I presume that's Dino faj for Lambton? Wonder if he has told Olympic as he was announced as resigning not too long ago.

Have the valo ones been confirmed yet aswell?

Update

Clarke staying at Maitland
Moore staying at Edgy
Sterrey not staying at Edgy

Allday
23-11-2020, 05:36 PM
Lake Macquarie
Adamstown
No signings
Valentine
Weston
Lambton
Maitland
Olympic
Charlestown
Magic
Edgeworth
Lee Sterrey

Update

Moore staying at Edgy

Luke Vallon has not signed at Olympic (was playing for Edgeworth on the weekend against the jets).

Dino Faj has not signed at jaffas but have heard he is talking to other clubs

Johnny Maj is in talks with Lakes & Jaffas.

Ben Hay & Bailey Garland have also signed with jaffas alongside Reece Papas and with Bradbury to stay there, plus the edition of Numov to the coaching staff, they look pretty strong for next year, key word “on paper”

Ryan Clarke to stay at Maitland

& Sterrey gone from Edgeworth

mge61
23-11-2020, 05:44 PM
Update

Moore staying at Edgy

I heard Moore not staying at Edgie.
Josh Rose offered the coaching gig for next year but too late as he accepted role with the Mariners.

JustHearThings
23-11-2020, 08:07 PM
Luke Vallon has not signed at Olympic (was playing for Edgeworth on the weekend against the jets).

Dino Faj has not signed at jaffas but have heard he is talking to other clubs

Johnny Maj is in talks with Lakes & Jaffas.

Ben Hay & Bailey Garland have also signed with jaffas alongside Reece Papas and with Bradbury to stay there, plus the edition of Numov to the coaching staff, they look pretty strong for next year, key word “on paper”

Ryan Clarke to stay at Maitland

& Sterrey gone from Edgeworth

Couple of players going to be unhappy at jaffas when they aren't starting/ having to push into reserve grade to get game time.

Hurricane
25-11-2020, 07:49 PM
Braedyn Crowley to Melbourne

magician
26-11-2020, 06:25 PM
Braedyn Crowley to Melbourne

Crowley and wood gone now. Will be a long year for maitland

Johnno
27-11-2020, 12:30 AM
Crowley and wood gone now. Will be a long year for maitland

Add to that Trott retired, one Swan definitely out long term, Davies to Olympic, Comferford coming back from 2nd major injury.

JustHearThings
27-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Add to that Trott retired, one Swan definitely out long term, Davies to Olympic, Comferford coming back from 2nd major injury.

Their exits definitely outweigh their new signings, only one of note so far is Alex Reid.

JustHearThings
27-11-2020, 11:44 AM
I know it's early but based on new signings so far and player movements. What are we thinking the table will look like next year?

cobra23
27-11-2020, 11:56 AM
I know it's early but based on new signings so far and player movements. What are we thinking the table will look like next year?

Lakes to win the comp

Bremsstrahlung
27-11-2020, 12:16 PM
I’ll be shocked if Magic don’t win it next season.
Other than that, business as usual.
Edgy, Olympic, Jaffas, Charlestown and Maitland jostling.
Adamstown, Lakes and Valentines biding their time.

Based on nothing other than the last 5 years.

Blueboy
27-11-2020, 12:34 PM
I’ll be shocked if Magic don’t win it next season.
Other than that, business as usual.
Edgy, Olympic, Jaffas, Charlestown and Maitland jostling.
Adamstown, Lakes and Valentines biding their time.

Based on nothing other than the last 5 years.

Olympic won’t be any where near the semis.
Super lucky last season, no papas there and no big signings.

Bremsstrahlung
27-11-2020, 12:54 PM
Guess we will see....in 10 months time.

Allday
27-11-2020, 12:57 PM
Agree. It amazes me how they did end up finishing 3rd considering they couldn’t beat magic, Edgeworth, Azzurri or Jaffas throughout the season.
I guess that does show how important it is to beat the lower teams. I suppose doing the double on Maitland was the defying moment for them.
I do think they will struggle with losing 3 of their best players for 2021 in Nate, Papas & Faj.. The signings they have Brought in are nothing special.
Maybe Griff can prove me wrong with an amazing first year of coaching..

JustHearThings
27-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Anyone know when the comp is expected to start? Or have northern not released that yet?

Alton
27-11-2020, 02:11 PM
Their exits definitely outweigh their new signings, only one of note so far is Alex Reid.

Of note ???

LongSufferingFan
27-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Magic Are specials to win, Rosebud specials for the spoon, apart from that all other teams will be pretty even. Will depend on what signings happen between now and mid season and also injuries and a bit of luck. For what it’s worth my early tips

Magic
Charlestown
Jaffa’s
Maitland
Edgeworth
Lakes
Olympic
Weston
Valentine
Rosebud

JustHearThings
27-11-2020, 11:44 PM
Of note ???

Sorry by note I mean players who have been regular first graders at other clubs.

Hurricane
28-11-2020, 09:57 AM
Sorry by note I mean players who have been regularregular first graders at other clubs.

Chris Fayers Charlie Cox Lachlan Watson have all played a fair bit of 1st grade. A few of their young players like Joe O'Connor Sam Webb and Dylan Boz had good semi final series so may step up next season.
Biggest losses will definitely be Crowley and Trott

Walker
29-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Magic Are specials to win, Rosebud specials for the spoon, apart from that all other teams will be pretty even. Will depend on what signings happen between now and mid season and also injuries and a bit of luck. For what it’s worth my early tips

Magic
Charlestown
Jaffa’s
Maitland
Edgeworth
Lakes
Olympic
Weston
Valentine
Rosebud

Lakes above Olympic and Weston, love your loyalty, what do you know that we don’t ?

Must be some new blood coming in, can’t move up the table with the same cattle, need speed up front and some aggression in the back, 2020 defence was ordinary and position on table reflected this

Hurricane
29-11-2020, 04:25 PM
Lakes above Olympic and Weston, love your loyalty, what do you know that we don’t ?

Must be some new blood coming in, can’t move up the table with the same cattle, need speed up front and some aggression in the back, 2020 defence was ordinary and position on table reflected this

Have added Nick Cowburn and Johnny Maj which will definitely strengthen them

LongSufferingFan
29-11-2020, 04:58 PM

Adding Majorovski and Maguire to Berlin and Charlesworth is a decent forward line. Throw Cowburn into midfield and Lakes start to look threatening.
Weston need new blood but have locked up 20 PPS points by signing Plant. This will limit other options for them.
Olympic aren’t planning any major recruitment as far as I know, and while Griffo is football royalty in Newie the jury is out on his man management skills.
Valentine always underachieve, can’t see why that will be any different next year.
Adamstown aren’t up to The standard of other teams and don’t seem to want to do much about it.
Edgy and Maitland I think will both struggle with key player loses but should have enough quality to make semis.
Charlestown and Jaffa’s should both be strong again but won’t be able to compete with a much more professional looking Magic with Zane and his entourage replacing Richards as coach.

The Hacker
29-11-2020, 07:00 PM
Adding Majorovski and Maguire to Berlin and Charlesworth is a decent forward line. Throw Cowburn into midfield and Lakes start to look threatening.
Weston need new blood but have locked up 20 PPS points by signing Plant. This will limit other options for them.
Olympic aren’t planning any major recruitment as far as I know, and while Griffo is football royalty in Newie the jury is out on his man management skills.
Valentine always underachieve, can’t see why that will be any different next year.
Adamstown aren’t up to The standard of other teams and don’t seem to want to do much about it.
Edgy and Maitland I think will both struggle with key player loses but should have enough quality to make semis.
Charlestown and Jaffa’s should both be strong again but won’t be able to compete with a much more professional looking Magic with Zane and his entourage replacing Richards as coach.

If that’s Lakes forward line they will go ok on Friday night in o35’s

Blueboy
29-11-2020, 07:03 PM

You are joking right ? What is Maguire going to add , he is 40, he will be a passenger, Berlin is no where near the player he was. No player there will score 10+ goals
Bottom 3 team

JustHearThings
29-11-2020, 11:15 PM
You are joking right ? What is Maguire going to add , he is 40, he will be a passenger, Berlin is no where near the player he was. No player there will score 10+ goals
Bottom 3 team

Have to agree with this, as good as they were they haven't got the legs they used too. Maguire struggled in his last year in the comp and that was a few years ago. Can't imagine he has gotten quicker.

Walker
30-11-2020, 06:44 AM

Defence mate, defence
What has been done to shore up a pretty leaky backline, 33 goals in 2020.
Can spend what they want but those ageing legs need to score plenty if they are going to rely on existing defence

JustHearThings
30-11-2020, 06:16 PM
Heard Griffiths did some fitness testing with Olympic in the week just gone. Wonder if the players are going to start an uprising like a certain other club.

Allday
30-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Micheal Bridges is the new Edgeworth coach

magician
30-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Heard Griffiths did some fitness testing with Olympic in the week just gone. Wonder if the players are going to start an uprising like a certain other club.

3 days after the GF compared to 5 weeks after Olympic last played. Same same 🤦🏼*♂️

cobra23
01-12-2020, 12:28 AM
Bottom 3 team

Mate 2 players in the whole comp scored over 10 goals .
Brymora & Crowley
Berlin had 7 or so - done ok for a 38 year old .
If Maj signs pretty dangerous combo if they get the ball to them .
Also heard Peter McPherson is back from a hip injury aswell .
I’m tipping they push for semis if above players rumoured to sign actually do,
I’m now growing a bit of a soft spot for lakes Now two ex magic legends at there but my money is on the mighty reds .. magic will be a force with Zane in charge ..
With massive off field investments to the facilities as well the club is stronger then ever

Blueboy
01-12-2020, 06:45 AM
Mate 2 players in the whole comp scored over 10 goals .
Brymora & Crowley
Berlin had 7 or so - done ok for a 38 year old .
If Maj signs pretty dangerous combo if they get the ball to them .
Also heard Peter McPherson is back from a hip injury aswell .
IÂ’m tipping they push for semis if above players rumoured to sign actually do,
IÂ’m now growing a bit of a soft spot for lakes Now two ex magic legends at there but my money is on the mighty reds .. magic will be a force with Zane in charge ..
With massive off field investments to the facilities as well the club is stronger then ever

How do they win games if they concede 35 a season 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️
The only thing they will be pushing , is finishing above the bottom 2

cobra23
01-12-2020, 10:10 AM
How do they win games if they concede 35 a season 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️
The only thing they will be pushing , is finishing above the bottom 2

agree 100% about the defense , if they can fix that up I'm sure they will be in the mix
but all i was suggesting is age is just a number for some players and I don't think they will have no problem soring goals

samcan
01-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Work has started this week on a $2 million upgrade of amenities at Edgeworth's home ground, Jack McLaughlan Oval.

So wasnt the condition of ground and amenities the reason Zane left? Maybe he should have stayed.

Oldjaffa
01-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Maybe the Olympic team aren't as precious as Edgy?

Blueboy
01-12-2020, 05:18 PM
Maybe the Olympic team aren't as precious as Edgy?

Maybe the Olympic team finished 4 weeks before edgey as previously stated 🤦*♂️

Goatscheese
02-12-2020, 11:47 PM
Micheal Bridges is the new Edgeworth coach

Wonder how long he will last.

Good pick up for them though

mge61
03-12-2020, 08:09 AM
Wonder how long he will last.

Good pick up for them though

Couldn’t imagine it being too long term given his Pro licence and he has already been exploring avenues overseas. Got the impression he maybe wants to head home in the future.

JustHearThings
03-12-2020, 08:49 AM
Couldn’t imagine it being too long term given his Pro licence and he has already been exploring avenues overseas. Got the impression he maybe wants to head home in the future.

Not sure about move home as he is quite set up here with his kids. He does work in Sydney for Optus sport though which could be a problem.

GO AWAY
03-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Newcastle Olympic v Indigenous FC
Saturday December 5
Under 16 3pm
Men’s 5pm
Women 7pm

JustHearThings
03-12-2020, 10:17 AM
Newcastle Olympic v Indigenous FC
Saturday December 5
Under 16 3pm
Men’s 5pm
Women 7pm

Have heard that the men's team only consists of 5-6 first graders and rest filled up with 18's

Hurricane
03-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Have heard that the men's team only consists of 5-6 first graders and rest filled up with 18's

Is that Olympic or the Indigenous side

GO AWAY
03-12-2020, 12:25 PM

I have no idea to be honest .... just think it’s great, the work Mick does for Indigenous football and Olympic coming to the party and playing the boys.

JustHearThings
03-12-2020, 12:35 PM

That's on Olympics side. Mark bridge was supposed to play abit for the indigenous side for abit of publicity for them which would had been nice. Not sure if he still is though

Hurricane
04-12-2020, 12:28 AM
Competition to commence on March 27. Does anyone know when a draw will be released

Hurricane
05-12-2020, 01:09 AM
Be interested to see how Griffiths goes in his first game in charge of Olympic tomorrow

GO AWAY
06-12-2020, 09:51 AM
What a great day at Olympic yesterday, the crowd was amazing, all three games were great and the Olympic committee and Indigenous FC need commending for such a great organised day

immersion
06-12-2020, 10:50 AM
What a great day at Olympic yesterday, the crowd was amazing, all three games were great and the Olympic committee and Indigenous FC need commending for such a great organised day

and the results lol?

mge61
06-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Not sure about move home as he is quite set up here with his kids. He does work in Sydney for Optus sport though which could be a problem.

Given he was in the last 3 for the job at Carlisle Utd could indicate he is happy to look at heading home.

GO AWAY
07-12-2020, 06:39 AM
and the results lol?

U16 Indigenous 6 Olympic 4
Men olympic 4 Indigenous 3
Women Olympic 2 Indigenous 1

Negative Police
15-12-2020, 11:17 PM
2021 competition. The 10-team competition will have 15 of 18 rounds featuring a Friday night game, instead of the usual handful at the start of the campaign.

The only rounds not featuring a Friday night game are the second, which has Good Friday on April 2, the following week when the Jets host Wellington Phoenix in the A-League, and the final weekend where all games start on Sunday, August 15, at 2.30pm. NH

nothing about relegation.

JustHearThings
16-12-2020, 09:29 AM
nothing about relegation.

Where was this posted?

JustHearThings
16-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Round 2, magic vs Olympic.
Thursday night.... Northern sure know how to keep the crowds away.

KITZ
16-12-2020, 05:05 PM

Pretty sure that’s the Thursday before Good Friday so everyone will be starting their Easter long weekend... I’m sure that’s how it was advertised.

Alton
16-12-2020, 05:21 PM

Derrrrrhhh think about it

Negative Police
16-12-2020, 08:24 PM
Where was this posted?

Newcastle knights Herald

Negative Police
16-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Northern NSW Football on Wednesday released finalised draws for their premier competitions - the NPL, Herald Women's Premier League and the men's second division, Northern League One.
In a draft draw sent out to clubs last week, the NPL was to have 15 of its 18 rounds with a Friday night game, including the season-opener between grand finalists Edgeworth and Maitland on March 26 at Jack McLaughlan Oval.
However, after gaining feedback from clubs, the finalised draw has just six Friday night games. The traditional season-opening grand final rematch will instead be on the Saturday, at 5pm. nh.