PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Women's Premier League thread

boz-monaut
07-01-2020, 09:26 PM
discussion starts here

late_to_the_game
21-01-2020, 08:23 AM
Looking forward to an interesting year. Any player movement rumors ;-)

Barry Dawson
21-01-2020, 06:38 PM
Hearing that the Jets have told all WLeague players they need to head to Sydney for the next WPL season to get a higher level of challenge.
Will have a significant impact on the quality and development of the local WPL comp if true.

ForeverRed
21-01-2020, 08:11 PM
Makes sense

Goatscheese
29-01-2020, 12:17 AM
Hearing that the Jets have told all WLeague players they need to head to Sydney for the next WPL season to get a higher level of challenge.
Will have a significant impact on the quality and development of the local WPL comp if true.

That's going to hurt the quality of the competition a lot.

Speaking of which is Tara Andrews staying at New Lambton?

Barry Dawson
29-01-2020, 01:29 PM
No heading to Manly.

The Dunster
29-01-2020, 05:11 PM
I don't think the local WPL is the problem - the Jets this season would have been very competitive if they brought in some imports - like a playmaker and someone to assist Tara Andrews up front rather than have her tracking back so often to start the movement forward.

Telling players they need a higher level challenge in Sydney is just another example of the Jets ownership / Executive shifting the blame for their own lack of vision and investment in the team.

I thought the local girls did very well this year and with just one or two more high level players / imports that squad would have been knocking on the door come finals time.

Nnswf
02-02-2020, 12:30 AM
New Lambton 2- Broadmeadow 2

Nnswf
17-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Any trial news? Should be gearing up two weeks out from the season starting

Goatscheese
17-02-2020, 08:45 PM
Any trial news? Should be gearing up two weeks out from the season starting

I know Olympic played West Wallsend Youth NewFM yesterday. And Rosebud played South Cardiff youth NewFM team yesterday not sure of the Olympic score but I think I saw on facebook that Adamstown lost to the U16 team 10-0

Johnno
17-02-2020, 11:34 PM
I know Olympic played West Wallsend Youth NewFM yesterday. And Rosebud played South Cardiff youth NewFM team yesterday not sure of the Olympic score but I think I saw on facebook that Adamstown lost to the U16 team 10-0

What’s this got to do with WPL?

Goatscheese
18-02-2020, 09:55 PM
What’s this got to do with WPL?

I think the Newcastle Olympic WPL team playing West Wallsend Youth and the Adamstown Rosebud WPL team playing South Cardiff youth teams has a hell of a lot to do with WPL.

And considering the poster asked about trail news in the 2020 Women's Premier League thread I responded giving news about two WPL clubs and trails they help.

Muppet

Nnswf
23-02-2020, 10:23 PM
Olympic 3 Warner’s bay 0

Goatscheese
23-02-2020, 11:37 PM
Speaking of Warners Bay, where are they intending to play start of the season? All away games? Went past John Street Oval the other day and it's still being worked on.

northern_swan
25-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Speaking of Warners Bay, where are they intending to play start of the season? All away games? Went past John Street Oval the other day and it's still being worked on.
Drove past today and turf was being laid on the field nearest the creek. I would imagine that it will be ready for the start of the community football season at the beginning of May, not sure what will happen for the interim.

Bull fighter
25-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Drove past today and turf was being laid on the field nearest the creek. I would imagine that it will be ready for the start of the community football season at the beginning of May, not sure what will happen for the interim.

No home games for 4 weeks then playing fixtures at Macquarie Field until its ready, simple look at the draw is all it takes.

Goatscheese
25-02-2020, 10:10 PM
No home games for 4 weeks then playing fixtures at Macquarie Field until its ready, simple look at the draw is all it takes.

Why would I do that when I know someone will tell me on here? Thanks by the way

late_to_the_game
12-03-2020, 10:29 PM
Friday night Magic v Thornton

New Lambton vs Adamstown at #2 on Sunday - we had a good crowd (estimated at 300) for the Merewether v New Lambton game at #2 last weekend.

Olympic vs Merewether at Darling St Sunday (a derby??)

WB up at Taree.

Get along and support women's football!

Goatscheese
12-03-2020, 11:14 PM

New Lambton vs Adamstown at #2 on Sunday - we had a good crowd (estimated at 300) for the Merewether v New Lambton game at #2 last weekend.

WB up at Taree.

Surely your derby is still when you play Adamstown as the two oldest clubs in the comp especially since now you have the Friendship Cup (who came up with that name?)

I'd personally say Magic and Olympic would still be derby day between the two harking back to the Wallsend-South Wallsend derby

Johnno
12-03-2020, 11:34 PM

WB up at Taree.

Must have counted everyone before halftime then again after halftime at 2 last week.

Bull fighter
13-03-2020, 01:16 AM
Must have counted everyone before halftime then again after halftime at 2 last week.
Bigger crowd than I have seen at many NPL first grade games Johnno, sorry brother but that estimate is close.

Goatscheese
13-03-2020, 08:24 PM
So a 1st grade Magic player has the virus and all games postponed. Hopefully we don't see too many other matches going down. Not even NPL is getting 500 people so no need to prevent people entering just yet.

sammydog
13-03-2020, 08:52 PM
So a 1st grade Magic player has the virus and all games postponed. Hopefully we don't see too many other matches going down. Not even NPL is getting 500 people so no need to prevent people entering just yet.

Has the whole round been postponed? I think they made the right call with the Magic game, didnt realise the whole thing had been postponed.

Be curious how they deal with community club juniors days though. Easily 500 people at some clubs when the juniors play and trials will just be getting started in the next few weeks.

Bull fighter
13-03-2020, 09:05 PM
Has the whole round been postponed? I think they made the right call with the Magic game, didnt realise the whole thing had been postponed.

Be curious how they deal with community club juniors days though. Easily 500 people at some clubs when the juniors play and trials will just be getting started in the next few weeks.
Not the whole round just first & reserves tonight, 14’s & 17’s going ahead on Sunday. Other games going ahead, 1 player with symptoms has been tested no result yet.

onlooker
13-03-2020, 09:35 PM
Not the whole round just first & reserves tonight, 14’s & 17’s going ahead on Sunday. Other games going ahead, 1 player with symptoms has been tested no result yet.

All games between Magic and Thornton are off, tonight’s and Sundays. According to a post on Facebook from Thornton WPL page.

Bull fighter
13-03-2020, 10:26 PM
All games between Magic and Thornton are off, tonight’s and Sundays. According to a post on Facebook from Thornton WPL page.
Sorry read it wrong, yep all 4 grades off.

onlooker
06-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Has it been confirmed that next year the lowest age in WPL will now be U/13’s, Or was that just a rumour I heard?

Goatscheese
06-07-2020, 10:04 PM
Has it been confirmed that next year the lowest age in WPL will now be U/13’s, Or was that just a rumour I heard?

I heard the same thing 13s, 15s and 18s

sideline88
07-07-2020, 07:55 AM
I heard the same thing 13s, 15s and 18s

Will be good to see how the quality and numbers go for clubs with this change, hopefully bring the WPL to be more closely aligned with the structure used for NPL.

Goatscheese
08-07-2020, 07:15 PM
Will be good to see how the quality and numbers go for clubs with this change, hopefully bring the WPL to be more closely aligned with the structure used for NPL.

Indeed shame there isn't the numbers of the quality to match it exactly

Nnswf
29-07-2020, 10:20 PM
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6850644/nnsw-wpl-day-out-for-season-jones-departs-magic/?cs=7580

Adriana Jones to Olympic?

ForeverRed
31-07-2020, 03:39 PM
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6850644/nnsw-wpl-day-out-for-season-jones-departs-magic/?cs=7580

Adriana Jones to Olympic?
New Lambton 😂😂😂

Thomas477
31-07-2020, 06:32 PM
So much for NL “promoting youth” and valuing “loyalty”

Johnno
01-08-2020, 12:34 AM

Gosh she had some clubs.

sapdad
02-08-2020, 12:09 AM

thats not the half of it if the email i got forwarded the other day was real.expect more issues over the next few months in their youth ranks.

ForeverRed
02-08-2020, 02:42 PM
thats not the half of it if the email i got forwarded the other day was real.expect more issues over the next few months in their youth ranks.

Please explain

Onyatoes
02-08-2020, 09:27 PM
thats not the half of it if the email i got forwarded the other day was real.expect more issues over the next few months in their youth ranks. FFS....do you regularly get emails "forwarded" to you that are not real? Time for a hobby or a life perhaps old mate.

sapdad
02-08-2020, 11:47 PM
FFS....do you regularly get emails "forwarded" to you that are not real?

i get lots of emails.many of which contain information relevant to me, many of which dont.but as a high powered man in the know with the ear of the boss you'd know more than me.ill admit my comment pertained to a conversation in a different thread but the sentiment seems to be poignant across all in local football.anyway as always, my club is the best and so is yours.enjoy your football.

Alan
04-08-2020, 11:24 PM

Hi sapdad,

I’d love to unpack this a bit more if you are happy to share more detail?

A

onlooker
26-08-2020, 09:11 AM
Maitland announce take over of Thornton today. Great step in the right direction for Women’s football in the area.. very exciting times.

Bull fighter
26-08-2020, 10:53 AM
Maitland announce take over of Thornton today. Great step in the right direction for Women’s football in the area.. very exciting times.

Great news, women's football need a strong presence in the area.

ranger
26-08-2020, 01:26 PM
Smart move by Maitland. Could help with funding applications for Cooks Square and bringing more money into the club.

Aegon
26-08-2020, 05:59 PM
So next year New Lambton, Merewether & Warner’s Bay are the only Hunter based teams not affiliated with NPL clubs.
Do any of them have a chance at NPLW status by 2022 or can we look forward to more mergers/takeovers?
If so, who will realistically associate with who?

onlooker
26-08-2020, 08:15 PM
So next year New Lambton, Merewether & Warner’s Bay are the only Hunter based teams not affiliated with NPL clubs.
Do any of them have a chance at NPLW status by 2022 or can we look forward to more mergers/takeovers?

I’m predicting more mergers/ takeovers next year. My guess is Warner’s Bay to either Lakes or Valo Merewether to Lambton and I would think New Lambton keep hold of their own in hope of going to NPL with the men’s... well that’s my guess anyway.

sammydog
26-08-2020, 10:16 PM

I think NNSW have shown their hand. NPL and WNPL teams will all be the same clubs in closed competitions. Good luck to any other club wanting a look in to the top flight of mens or womens. The status quo will remain as is for a long time.

Already rumours about Warners Bay to Lakes that started at the same time as the rumours of Thornton to Maitland.

Johnno
26-08-2020, 11:41 PM
I think NNSW have shown their hand. NPL and WNPL teams will all be the same clubs in closed competitions. Good luck to any other club wanting a look in to the top flight of mens or womens. The status quo will remain as is for a long time.

Already rumours about Warners Bay to Lakes that started at the same time as the rumours of Thornton to Maitland.

All makes sense. Especially if it’s true that NNSWF are offering financial incentives for these mergers/licence takeovers to happen. Only a matter of time.

Aegon
01-09-2020, 04:40 PM
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6904573/nnsw-wpl-eagles-part-ways-with-head-coach-ahead-of-olympic-clash/?cs=7580&fbclid=IwAR08leumuAhMUp2fMFB55EMQTNoZSXy1pAUbUzFyY 8-NAw0-7ZdRDuBalXc

Reds Forever
01-09-2020, 05:04 PM
Keelan Hamilton also announced as Maitland FC Head Coach for WPL next year.

late_to_the_game
02-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Keelan Hamilton also announced as Maitland FC Head Coach for WPL next year.

Must mean they have money to spend :wink:

ForeverRed
02-09-2020, 01:22 PM
Must mean they have money to spend :wink:

What’s that suppose to mean ?

Johnno
02-09-2020, 01:47 PM

Circa New Lambton WPL 2018/2019

Hurricane
02-09-2020, 06:00 PM
Same blokes that bag every club trying to make progress ForeverRed

finzee
02-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Yes on one hand proclaims to be a great supporter of Women’s Football and then takes every opportunity to slag off at any other club who are working on improving football for women.

Stop. Dont start this gender shit. He and others say this about football clubs in general. At least hes talking womens football

Part of the reason i find it hard to follow womens football are these arrogant feminist aholes, think Rapinoe, proclaiming they deserve everything be fore they earn it.

Bremsstrahlung
02-09-2020, 08:17 PM
“Don’t start xxxx”

*starts xxxxx*

Goatscheese
03-09-2020, 12:12 AM

I wouldn't call Adamstown affliated. It's ARJFC and ARFC, two clubs, two banks accounts, two committees, they just use the same ground and that's it.

Goatscheese
03-09-2020, 12:12 AM

It means they have money to spend and they did offer him a pretty packet

sapdad
30-09-2020, 10:22 PM
Still a very big push toward NPL at NL. Men and Women. They now run the Alder Park Bowlo too?? Not a bad idea if true and if they can make it work with sponsors hard to find in the next few years they create a revenue stream from a licensed club. Not many NPL clubs in Newcastle have that.
im actually not here to start a fight so please take this the correct way, but isnt the ground still a major issue with the NPL bid?Didnt council reject yet another redevelopment plan?are they taking the piss with the continual knock backs or is there something seriously wrong with Alder Park?

furns
02-10-2020, 03:10 PM
I have deleted a post that contained defamatory content.
Seriously people, this is what got this sub-forum shut down previously. Pull your heads in and stop this mud-slinging shit or the local football section will be shut down permanently.
Which would be a great shame, its a very popular section of the website but its not the wild west where you can post what you want. Naming individuals and then posting libelous statements about them is quite clearly against the rules (read the rules announcement at the top of every sub-forum page) and will result in disciplinary action.

Onyatoes has received a 2 point infraction, 1 more point and it will result in a month ban from the forum altogether.

Negative Police
04-10-2020, 10:20 PM
“Don’t start xxxx”

*starts xxxxx*

Goose. It was a reply not the start

traffic light
13-10-2020, 08:19 PM
im actually not here to start a fight so please take this the correct way, but isnt the ground still a major issue with the NPL bid?Didnt council reject yet another redevelopment plan?are they taking the piss with the continual knock backs or is there something seriously wrong with Alder Park?

Has to be the local residents that dont want it for my guess. I think NL even had the $$$ to finance it?

YewYew
14-10-2020, 11:38 PM
Has to be the local residents that dont want it for my guess. I think NL even had the $$$ to finance it?

Alder ain’t fit to redevelop. Big drains, too many houses overlooking.

Every1 no that NL eyes r on Arthur Edden. Why can’t they share with Jaffas? No reason other than old skool peeps not wanting to share there toys.

traffic light
14-10-2020, 11:51 PM
Alder ain’t fit to redevelop. Big drains, too many houses overlooking.

Every1 no that NL eyes r on Arthur Edden. Why can’t they share with Jaffas? No reason other than old skool peeps not wanting to share there toys.

Does NOFC share their ground? Does Magic share theirs? Does Adamstown? No other NPL or Newfm teams there. Edden also has the WPL.

Sounds a bit like sob story again

Goatscheese
15-10-2020, 12:32 AM
Does NOFC share their ground? Does Magic share theirs? Does Adamstown? No other NPL or Newfm teams there. Edden also has the WPL.

Sounds a bit like sob story again

Adamstown shares theirs, the WPL is run by the Junior club not the NPL club.

traffic light
15-10-2020, 12:42 AM
Adamstown shares theirs, the WPL is run by the Junior club not the NPL club.

Fair enough. Adamstown did have New Lambton ZPL for a while as well.

Not sure why he's calling out Edden. Maybe if the centre of excellence happens with artificial pitches it could work.

Shere Khan
16-10-2020, 07:46 PM
Anyone got any updates on the GF after Plovergate.
I know it’s moved to Macquarie Field but I heard rumours that the game was locked out or something similar as in full.
Then the new 1 in 2 rule came in so thought it would’ve changed.

outsider
16-10-2020, 08:20 PM
I know it’s moved to Macquarie Field but I heard rumours that the game was locked out or something similar as in full.

Apparently it is ticket only but will be on Bar TV

onlooker
18-10-2020, 08:48 PM
Some very entertaining and close games today in all of the GF’s. Plenty of goals to keep everyone happy.

mge61
18-10-2020, 08:51 PM
Some very entertaining and close games today in all of the GF’s. Plenty of goals to keep everyone happy.
Scores?

onlooker
18-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Scores?

U/14’s 3-2 Merewether Over Middies
U/17’s 4-2 Merewether Over Olympic
Res 2-1 Adamstown Over Olympic
1st 3-2 Olympic Over WBay

mge61
18-10-2020, 10:04 PM
U/14’s 3-2 Merewether Over Middies
U/17’s 4-2 Merewether Over Olympic
Res 2-1 Adamstown Over Olympic
1st 3-2 Olympic Over WBay
👍 reads like a great day of GF football.

onlooker
19-10-2020, 10:53 AM
Anyone heard of the plan for the U/13’s next year. Is it going to be a hub day or are they going to be played on the same day as the rest of the teams and every other game will be pushed back. So 1st grade would be a 5pm kick off or something like that?

Negative Police
20-10-2020, 11:56 PM
Anyone heard of the plan for the U/13’s next year. Is it going to be a hub day or are they going to be played on the same day as the rest of the teams and every other game will be pushed back. So 1st grade would be a 5pm kick off or something like that?

Could split them. 13s 15s 17s and res 1sts?

Goatscheese
21-10-2020, 12:14 AM

It also means that council would have to find a place for the cricket and little athletics to move to, which is more likely why they knocked it back

Goatscheese
21-10-2020, 12:16 AM

What was the deal with this?

And since when was the grand final ticketed to be purchased beforehand? And why?

Bull fighter
21-10-2020, 11:40 AM
Plovers were nesting and attacking players on field, had to change venue.
Covid restrictions on number of spectators same as every other sport in 2020.

Goatscheese
21-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Plovers were nesting and attacking players on field, had to change venue.
Covid restrictions on number of spectators same as every other sport in 2020.

Fair enough but I haven't seen tickets required for prepurchase before hand at these other sports at a similar level.

Bull fighter
21-10-2020, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Goatscheese;242296]Fair enough but I haven't seen tickets required for prepurchase before hand at these other sports at a similar level.[/QUOTE)

Had to prebuy tickets for Newcastle Rugby League Grand Finals at Maitland last weekend.

late_to_the_game
26-10-2020, 06:35 PM
�� reads like a great day of GF football.

It was indeed.
In 14's Merewether had their first win over FMNC for the season, FMNC have won the previous 3 GF in 14's I believe, always a great team.
Olympic gave Merewether a scare in 17's, two late goals to Merewether made it look better than it was.
I missed the Res game, but surprised Olympic lost, they have been the best team all year. However the core of that team have been the best 17's team for the last two years and have failed to win a GF.
1st grade - both teams had periods of dominance, and either "could" have won, but Olympic got the job done.

Given everything that has happened this year, a really good outcome for Women's football.

late_to_the_game
26-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Current plan is to have all 5 games on the same day in 2021

mge61
09-11-2020, 09:20 PM
Just speaking to my niece who plays in the Football Queensland WNPL U15's.
They've just found out in their wisdom in the lead up to the Womens World Cup next year the have made their age groups U14's, U16's and the next one is U23's. How many girls are they going to lose after U16's - it's no wonder AFL is kicking on with their girls numbers.

onlooker
09-11-2020, 10:55 PM
Just speaking to my niece who plays in the Football Queensland WNPL U15's.
They've just found out in their wisdom in the lead up to the Womens World Cup next year the have made their age groups U14's, U16's and the next one is U23's. How many girls are they going to lose after U16's - it's no wonder AFL is kicking on with their girls numbers.

That’s a crazy jump in age.. I don’t understand the obsession with having an U/23’s by the time you are 20 you want to be playing against adults. I like the set up we are going to have next year of 13’s, 15’s 17’s Res 1st . If I was to be picky I’d say throw in a 19’s.. But at least there is a steady path of growth and less chance of losing big numbers to other sports as they get older.

onlooker
28-11-2020, 11:15 AM
Maitland FC WPL are chasing a goalkeeper for their U/13’s team for next season.

Contact Cal on 0421646037 for more information.