View Full Version : 2020 NPL Youth Thread

Pages : [1] 2

boz-monaut
07-01-2020, 08:27 PM
discussion starts here

Captain_Carl
10-01-2020, 03:33 PM
discussion starts here

First season of Youth NPL without the Jets for quite some time. Who will dominate? Who will be the surprise packages? I look forward to watching plenty of games.

Aegon
10-01-2020, 04:11 PM
First season of Youth NPL without the Jets for quite some time. Who will dominate? Who will be the surprise packages? I look forward to watching plenty of games.

Olympic and Magic will still be the teams to beat, some of the other clubs will have strong teams in some ages but not others.

Beaver
20-01-2020, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately in the NPL youth, the big clubs get bigger while the small clubs do their best -kids & parents chase results unfortunately and that is why statistically Magic, Hamilton continue to dominate
The u13 Comp should be interesting a few good teams, I hear MaitlandFC have put together a strong squad !

Hunter403
20-01-2020, 10:28 PM
Well now that Richard Hartley is no longer feeding players to Olympic and now that SAP is established, it should give the so called smaller clubs a good chance to gain beter players

Aegon
21-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Well now that Richard Hartley is no longer feeding players to Olympic and now that SAP is established, it should give the so called smaller clubs a good chance to gain beter players

Fair enough, I’ve heard the same story before. Whatever happened to the boys from Macquarie and HV though? Why didn’t the clubs they end up at become super strong?

Hunter403
21-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Fair enough, I’ve heard the same story before. Whatever happened to the boys from Macquarie and HV though? Why didn’t the clubs they end up at become super strong?

My experience (my son is an NPL player) is that the LM boys went everywhere, not one or two specific clubs. As for the HV boys, they usually went to the local clubs (but not always) and HV was always the weakest of the 3 associations.

Credit to Magic though, most of the NF boys went to Olympic and Magic raised their own generally. I must say that in my son's cohort, Magic were only strong one season winning the minor premiership. If memory serves, they failed to make the semis in the other 3 years. Olympic were strong every year, as were Jaffas. Edgy were always about at seasons end. Jaffas were the top team over the 4 years of my son's age group.

TauZero
21-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Looking at last season's results, Olympic are clearly the best in the youth grades, followed by Magic. Adamstown do better than you might think, and Lambton are in the mix. Charlestown, Edgeworth and Weston are a bit hit and miss, while Valentine, Maitland and Lake Mac had one good age group at best.

YewYew
22-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Looking at last season's results, Olympic are clearly the best in the youth grades, followed by Magic. Adamstown do better than you might think, and Lambton are in the mix. Charlestown, Edgeworth and Weston are a bit hit and miss, while Valentine, Maitland and Lake Mac had one good age group at best.

Didnt no that Olympic ran Jets so close over all. Did any Olympic kids get picked off by the Jets? If not they gonna be super strong this year again.

Aegon
22-01-2020, 02:27 PM
Didnt no that Olympic ran Jets so close over all. Did any Olympic kids get picked off by the Jets? If not they gonna be super strong this year again.

The Jets never seem to turnover big numbers in their teams. Maybe 3-5 players if needed.
I would assume that some kids would have been picked up, but not huge differences.

Goatscheese
05-02-2020, 12:16 AM
Heard Lakes U14 lost 9-1 to West Wallsend the other night. Will be another long season for them it seems

Hunter403
05-02-2020, 07:01 AM
Heard Lakes U14 lost 9-1 to West Wallsend the other night. Will be another long season for them it seems

Was it u14 Lakes vs u15 Westy? That's the usual deal in NPL vs NEWFM trials?
If both teams were the same age then yes, Lakes aren't looking great.

finzee
05-02-2020, 09:17 PM
Is there a reason why the 13 to 16s NPL & NPL1 juniors not be graded separately from the seniors like in the Sydney NPL?

Where juniors are graded on results in 2 divisions and if a NPL team drops down they need to fight to get back up to match the senior team.

Not saying there would be many changes but would make thing interesting.

Goatscheese
10-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Is there a reason why the 13 to 16s NPL & NPL1 juniors not be graded separately from the seniors like in the Sydney NPL?

Where juniors are graded on results in 2 divisions and if a NPL team drops down they need to fight to get back up to match the senior team.

Not saying there would be many changes but would make thing interesting.

Yeah would be good if there was any promotion or relegation in Newcastle.

Captain_Carl
12-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Please share your opinions:

In season 2020 will the U14, U15 & U16 results be somewhat predictable based on the results the clubs had last year in U13, U14 & U15 or does anyone know of significant changes at particular clubs that might shake things up a bit? Then we have U13 who we tend to know less about. I would imagine that clubs such as Magic, Olympic and Jaffas will field strong teams but have been given the heads up that Maitland and Valentine are two dark horses to watch out for.

Negative Police
12-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Please share your opinions:

In season 2020 will the U14, U15 & U16 results be somewhat predictable based on the results the clubs had last year in U13, U14 & U15 or does anyone know of significant changes at particular clubs that might shake things up a bit? Then we have U13 who we tend to know less about. I would imagine that clubs such as Magic, Olympic and Jaffas will field strong teams but have been given the heads up that Maitland and Valentine are two dark horses to watch out for.

Throw Adamstown in there

Hunter403
12-02-2020, 09:54 PM
I saw Charlestown 15s and 16s tonight vs South Cardiff 16s and Kahibah 18s respectively. Both lost and didn't offer much. Could be a long season but its early days. Charlestown 13s are full of Jets kids for this season. Probably be gone for next season, so they will likely have a strong year in 2020 and be out madly recruiting in 2021.
Jaffas have strengthened both their 15s and 16s so should be in the mix. I also hear that their 13s are pretty good too.
Olympic will be strong in all years, and I have heard that Adamstown are looking pretty good too. Magic have had quite a few changes so who knows what to expect from them.
Haven't heard much about the others.

Negative Police
13-02-2020, 09:43 PM
I saw Charlestown 15s and 16s tonight vs South Cardiff 16s and Kahibah 18s respectively. Both lost and didn't offer much. Could be a long season but its early days. Charlestown 13s are full of Jets kids for this season. Probably be gone for next season, so they will likely have a strong year in 2020 and be out madly recruiting in 2021.
Jaffas have strengthened both their 15s and 16s so should be in the mix. I also hear that their 13s are pretty good too.
Olympic will be strong in all years, and I have heard that Adamstown are looking pretty good too. Magic have had quite a few changes so who knows what to expect from them.
Haven't heard much about the others.

Told about this trial. Magic 13's 4-0 over Charlestown 13s

Dont know if full squads were there

Goatscheese
17-02-2020, 07:59 PM
Heard Magic 13s and 14s beat their respective Charlestown teams yesterday

Hunter403
17-02-2020, 11:18 PM
Jaffas 14s lost to Jets 13s
Jaffas 15s beat Jets 14s
Jaffas 16s beat Jets 15s.
Jaffas 18s beat Jets 16s.

Aegon
18-02-2020, 09:08 AM
Jaffas 14s lost to Jets 13s
Jaffas 15s beat Jets 14s
Jaffas 16s beat Jets 15s.
Jaffas 18s beat Jets 16s.

That's a pretty good effort all around.

Aegon
20-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Posted originally in the SAP thread, but just though it more appropriate here:

https://newcastleolympicfc.wordpress.com/2020/02/13/newcastle-olympic-establishes-its-own-newcastle-olympic-football-academy/

Newcastle Olympic wishes to announce the establishment of the Newcastle Olympic Football Academy (NOFA). The Academy (NOFA) will serve the needs of individual players regardless of age, team, or development phase. The training will be based on developing attributes that are consistent with NOFC’s philosophy and ethos regarding technical ability, work ethic, and personal character.

Interesting read - More and more clubs coming up with their own alternatives to the TSP. Are the clubs unhappy with the results being shown?

W8 WATCHER
20-02-2020, 03:22 PM
Posted originally in the SAP thread, but just as appropriate here:

Newcastle Olympic establishes its own Newcastle Olympic Football Academy

Newcastle Olympic wishes to announce the establishment of the Newcastle Olympic Football Academy (NOFA). The Academy (NOFA) will serve the needs of individual players regardless of age, team, or development phase. The training will be based on developing attributes that are consistent with NOFC’s philosophy and ethos regarding technical ability, work ethic, and personal character.

Interesting read - More and more clubs coming up with their own alternatives to the TSP. Are the clubs unhappy with the results being shown?

aegon
can you further explain what you refer to results shown!

NOFA providing there own ethos and style, is the way to go, this should serve well for there own player stream in the future, this also depends on coaching staff at time, promoting youngsters or paying overs for aged players or jets players which have been told there services are no longer available.

YewYew
20-02-2020, 04:07 PM
aegon

NOFA providing there own ethos and style, is the way to go, this should serve well for there own player stream in the future, this also depends on coaching staff at time, promoting youngsters or paying overs for aged players or jets players which have been told there services are no longer available.

U sayin Olympic not so good at promoting there own kids?

I cant read the link but think Newy clubs having academys is a good thing as long as it ain't just a cash grab. some NPL clubs in sydney have there own academies and produce good kids. if its about making kids better i am all for it.

W8 WATCHER
20-02-2020, 04:19 PM
U sayin Olympic not so good at promoting there own kids?

I cant read the link but think Newy clubs having academys is a good thing as long as it ain't just a cash grab. some NPL clubs in sydney have there own academies and produce good kids. if its about making kids better i am all for it.

I don't think I said that?
I said its the way to go, if designed fit for purpose for the club

As for Sydney academies and good kids. not sure where these good kids you referring are.
Aus national u23 teams struggle to beat the likes of Thailand, Vietnam etc
All focused on revenue, not talent or development, always will be

Aegon
20-02-2020, 04:26 PM
aegon

Just repeating some concerns I’ve heard previously. Inconsistent messaging between club and TSP leading to the clubs being unhappy with some of the guidance and direction that the TSP boys are receiving.
Several clubs are now setting up their own alternatives to TSP. Just thinking is it as a result of the training the TSP boys are receiving, or ensuring the players not at TSP are getting complimentary training.

YewYew
20-02-2020, 04:31 PM
I don't think I said that?
I said its the way to go, if designed fit for purpose for the club

As for Sydney academies and good kids. not sure where these good kids you referring are.
Aus national u23 teams struggle to beat the likes of Thailand, Vietnam etc
All focused on revenue, not talent or development, always will be

but the kids that make them national teams aint from Newy, they from Sydney. Clubs there must be doing something right,

YewYew
20-02-2020, 04:33 PM
Just repeating some concerns I’ve heard previously. Inconsistent messaging between club and TSP leading to the clubs being unhappy with some of the guidance and direction that the TSP boys are receiving.
Several clubs are now setting up their own alternatives to TSP. Just thinking is it as a result of the training the TSP boys are receiving, or ensuring the players not at TSP are getting complimentary training.

wot other clubs have got there own TSP? i heard RH did it with NET & with jaffas but aint heard about 2 many others

Aegon
20-02-2020, 04:37 PM
wot other clubs have got there own TSP? i heard RH did it with NET & with jaffas but aint heard about 2 many others

Jaffa’s, Charlestown (Newcastle Football Academy) and Maitland (Hipe). Edgy apparently doing extra training as well. Maybe others?

YewYew
20-02-2020, 05:36 PM
Jaffa’s, Charlestown (Newcastle Football Academy) and Maitland (Hipe). Edgy apparently doing extra training as well. Maybe others?

I thought Newcastle Academy was private? Run by a former jet kid?

Goatscheese
20-02-2020, 08:56 PM
I thought Newcastle Academy was private? Run by a former jet kid?

That's correct the founder just so happened to be a Charlestown coach and is now at Edgeworth.

Captain_Carl
20-02-2020, 09:09 PM
Trial games tonight.
U13 Valo 1 Jaffas 0
U14 Jaffas 2 Valo 1

JettyJet
21-02-2020, 12:17 PM
That's correct the founder just so happened to be a Charlestown coach and is now at Edgeworth.
I'd check on that...

Aegon
21-02-2020, 12:53 PM

The founder is Charlestowns SAP coordinator or TD equivalent I heard.

Regardless, they are doing something right in the younger ages. They were substantially better later in the season than they were at the start.

Goatscheese
21-02-2020, 08:37 PM
The founder is Charlestowns SAP coordinator or TD equivalent I heard.

Regardless, they are doing something right in the younger ages. They were substantially better later in the season than they were at the start.

The founder is Liam McDonald who is now at Edgeworth and last year was their U13s coach. Started as their U14s coach but left toward the end of last year.

Mick Hugo was the TD when the Academy was established he has nothing to do with it and is Assistant at Edgeworth 13s and Head Coach of South Cardiff 18s

Aegon
22-02-2020, 02:08 PM
The founder is Liam McDonald who is now at Edgeworth and last year was their U13s coach. Started as their U14s coach but left toward the end of last year.

Mick Hugo was the TD when the Academy was established he has nothing to do with it and is Assistant at Edgeworth 13s and Head Coach of South Cardiff 18s

Talking about the wrong people mate. I was talking about Azzurri’s SAP TD or SAP co ordinator. Whatever the title is. He’s a coach of one of the Charlestown 10 SAP teams last year and this year is their SAP TD.

I may be 100% wrong but I was told he founded the Newcastle city football academy and bought in Liam as a head coach.

Captain_Carl
22-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Today Magic played Mariners and got totally SMASHED in every age group. In other news Weston Youth teams were SMASHED by Mounties Wanderers. The gap in standard is very big indeed. More news just in: Jets 13s defeated Edgy 14s 3-2; Edgy 15’s defeated Jets 14s 2-1.

JettyJet
23-02-2020, 09:41 PM
The 14s CCMA beat The NNSWNPL Grand Finals winners 19 nil....

YewYew
23-02-2020, 09:59 PM
The 14s CCMA beat The NNSWNPL Grand Finals winners 19 nil....

Seriously? Geez. I heard magic youth in a bit of a mess but this? Questions gonna asked of coaches and mngmt

YewYew
23-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Today Magic played Mariners and got totally SMASHED in every age group. In other news Weston Youth teams were SMASHED by Mounties Wanderers. The gap in standard is very big indeed. More news just in: Jets 13s defeated Edgy 14s 3-2; Edgy 15’s defeated Jets 14s 2-1.

Got told magic NET beat CCM in 12s so not total wipe out

Beaver
25-02-2020, 09:19 PM
Further trials tonight & shows not enough quality to cover the NPL teams when MaitlandFC U13’s beat Lake Macquarie 16-1 & could have been a lot more-Lakes lack quality to play at this level which is sad for the kids who are committed . Maitland were very good but also allowed to
2 more years before all clubs control their own destiny of recruitment through SAP, which will hopefully fix these loo-sides results

Captain_Carl
25-02-2020, 10:10 PM
Further trials tonight & shows not enough quality to cover the NPL teams when MaitlandFC U13Â’s beat Lake Macquarie 16-1 & could have been a lot more-Lakes lack quality to play at this level which is sad for the kids who are committed . Maitland were very good but also allowed to
2 more years before all clubs control their own destiny of recruitment through SAP, which will hopefully fix these loo-sides results

It is not good. That Lake Macquarie team had to conduct 3 trials just to fill the team let alone choose the best players.

finzee
26-02-2020, 09:42 PM
Further trials tonight & shows not enough quality to cover the NPL teams when MaitlandFC U13’s beat Lake Macquarie 16-1 & could have been a lot more-Lakes lack quality to play at this level which is sad for the kids who are committed . Maitland were very good but also allowed to

Sad considering that Macquarie had 3 very good u12 SAP teams right on their doorstep last year. Wonder who pillaged those lads?

Goatscheese
26-02-2020, 11:14 PM
Sad considering that Macquarie had 3 very good u12 SAP teams right on their doorstep last year. Wonder who pillaged those lads?

Magic filled up most of their U13s with Macquarie SAP kids, Magic TD used to be involved there and didn't even want a look at the Magic NET team

Captain_Carl
27-02-2020, 06:47 AM
Magic filled up most of their U13s with Macquarie SAP kids, Magic TD used to be involved there and didn't even want a look at the Magic NET team

I know the Macquarie TD and he told me out of the 38 Macquarie U12 kids from last season Magic got just 4. Valentine got 10, Edgeworth got 6, Adamstown got 5, Weston got 4, Lake Macquarie got 2, Jaffas got 2, Olympic got 1, Maitland got 1, Mariners got 1 and 2 no longer playing.

Hunter403
27-02-2020, 11:44 AM
I know the Macquarie TD and he told me out of the 38 Macquarie U12 kids from last season Magic got just 4. Valentine got 10, Edgeworth got 6, Adamstown got 5, Weston got 4, Lake Macquarie got 2, Jaffas got 2, Olympic got 1, Maitland got 1, Mariners got 1 and 2 no longer playing.

That's a pretty good spread. It is good that they didn't all go to the one club. Perhaps a little Valo weighted but they need it in NPL youth

Goatscheese
05-03-2020, 09:29 PM
How are youth teams shaping up this year? Heard Broadmeadow had a solid win in a trail against Azzuri last week in 13s.

Captain_Carl
08-03-2020, 02:40 PM
How are youth teams shaping up this year? Heard Broadmeadow had a solid win in a trail against Azzuri last week in 13s.

Broadmeadow vs Valentine
13s 3-3 draw
14s 3-2 Magic
15s 9-1 Magic
16s 3-2 Valo

Eastwest
08-03-2020, 03:53 PM
E Jets 15s won 6-0 v Dunbar. no contest

Aegon
08-03-2020, 04:45 PM
Broadmeadow vs Valentine
13s was 3-3
14s 3-2 Magic
15s 9-1 Magic
16s 3-2 Valo

Good effort from Valo. 15’s Magic are going to be tough to beat this year.

Captain_Carl
08-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Yep 3 really tight games and Magic 15s very dominant as the score suggests.

Beaver
15-03-2020, 06:02 PM
Some very loo sided results in NPL youth this weekend- the NOlympic & Maitland U13’’s was a cracker with Maitland winning 4-3 after being down 3-0 after opening 10 minutes -but NO very , very strong in other age groups 14’s & 15’s way too strong & early days but I’m predicting these teams will dominate their Comp this year 16’s was more even than the 5-0 result , but Olympic ridiculously strong again!!

Hunter403
15-03-2020, 09:57 PM
The15s looks like having a few strong teams. Olympic, Magic, Jaffas and Edgy. Magic and Jaffas have had 2 strong wins and Olympic very good in their only match. Edgy won both of theirs too.

Captain_Carl
22-03-2020, 08:38 AM
Looking at how fast COVID-19 is spreading I honestly believe season 2020 is over. So Youth NPL teams only got to play 2 rounds and some only 1. It will be interesting to see how clubs proceed into next season. Will they carry the same team/coach forward into the next age group or re-trial? In the case of U16s going into U18s there would certainly need to be trials as some of the current U18s will still be eligible for U18s next year while almost all current U16s will be too old for U16s next year. I don’t know if clubs have given this much consideration yet as there is still a lot of wishful thinking out there. I would be interested to hear what people think.

Goatscheese
22-03-2020, 09:16 AM
Looking at how fast COVID-19 is spreading I honestly believe season 2020 is over. So Youth NPL teams only got to play 2 rounds and some only 1. It will be interesting to see how clubs proceed into next season. Will they carry the same team/coach forward into the next age group or re-trial? In the case of U16s going into U18s there would certainly need to be trials as some of the current U18s will still be eligible for U18s next year while almost all current U16s will be too old for U16s next year. I don’t know if clubs have given this much consideration yet as there is still a lot of wishful thinking out there. I would be interested to hear what people think.

We won't be back on the 14th April. Lucky to be back by start of May.

Most clubs will continue with their usual plan of retaining some players and telling others they will need to re-trail. Clubs have had all pre-season to guage it's just a blow to those players that may have vastly improved over the year. Northern could just bump up the age groups U13-U17 and U19 if the entire season is written off. Then revert to normal for 2022. Northern won't of course too hard, it will just be a start again and clubs do as they see fit.

Bremsstrahlung
22-03-2020, 02:05 PM
Mmm changing age groups is great for the guys in teams this year, but then what? You lose 2 years worth of players.

I hope clubs band together and make some kind of competition in 2020. Even if we don’t get on until July, August, playing a mini round robin groups based on last years final table and finals series. At least get something out of the season.

It’s a long offseason as is.

Swanky
24-03-2020, 07:58 AM
This virus could go for a long time but if there is miraculous recovery all NPL clubs bar Valentine can play on there grounds all year long.
No reason why we could not start on 1st of July and finish in November if the virus clears
This could work for both Youth and Senior NPL

Captain_Carl
24-03-2020, 10:55 AM
This virus could go for a long time but if there is miraculous recovery all NPL clubs bar Valentine can play on there grounds all year long.
No reason why we could not start on 1st of July and finish in November if the virus clears

Technically correct but keep in mind trials for the following year usually take place in September. Sure they could be moved later to November or whenever but then you start to have logistical issues. One example is ordering new player kits (mostly from China) and they take a long time to arrive.

Goatscheese
24-03-2020, 05:24 PM

Just need Northern and FFA to put some pressure on the council to allow them to continue to use the field for game days.

Reds Forever
24-03-2020, 05:40 PM
Technically correct but keep in mind trials for the following year usually take place in September. Sure they could be moved later to November or whenever but then you start to have logistical issues. One example is ordering new player kits (mostly from China) and they take a long time to arrive.

If any season is played this year, have no doubt it will be shortened season and may run into cricket season. Trials can always be pushed back later in year and would not be surprised if next year is pushed back and shortened.

Hunter403
24-03-2020, 07:30 PM
Just need Northern and FFA to put some pressure on the council to allow them to continue to use the field for game days.

Would help if cricket didn't block book every ground around regardless of whether they intend to use it or not.

Goatscheese
24-03-2020, 08:43 PM
Would help if cricket didn't block book every ground around regardless of whether they intend to use it or not.

That's another issue too, I see cricket blocking grounds out and then not used at all on weekends.

Swanky
24-03-2020, 09:10 PM
If any season is played this year, have no doubt it will be shortened season and may run into cricket season. Trials can always be pushed back later in year and would not be surprised if next year is pushed back and shortened.

No NPL grounds have cricket on it (except for Valentine). Players can decide whether they want to play football or cricket. Most Football games will be played later so kids could play both if they wish.

YewYew
25-03-2020, 10:40 PM
No NPL grounds have cricket on it (except for Valentine). Players can decide whether they want to play football or cricket. Most Football games will be played later so kids could play both if they wish.

If we get a season Northern should be pushing use of available grounds to complete all games. Magic park, edgy, Darling ain’t got no ground pressure in cricket season so just hold games all day @ those grounds. All money go into the pot & shared even among all clubs. Gets games done, gives a comp & clubs get some $$$. Galas for short season probably gets more ppl involved so might even help spread the comp to non soccer fans

Johnno
25-03-2020, 11:22 PM
Hearing a couple of unconfirmed reports (got it 2nd hand) that parents have gone to clubs to ask for a refund given what’s happening, no chance season starting on Northerns publicised date and their circumstances and the refunds have been denied. Anyone know anything further? I would hope this is not the case.

Captain_Carl
26-03-2020, 04:28 AM
Hearing a couple of unconfirmed reports (got it 2nd hand) that parents have gone to clubs to ask for a refund given whatÂ’s happening, no chance season starting on Northerns publicised date and their circumstances and the refunds have been denied. Anyone know anything further? I would hope this is not the case.

I have been told the same. With an increasing number of people losing their jobs and running out of money this will only grow. If we get back to football at all this season I would be very surprised.

Dontknowmuch
26-03-2020, 11:03 AM
I have been told the same. With an increasing number of people losing their jobs and running out of money this will only grow. If we get back to football at all this season I would be very surprised.

The season will get played in some form. There is no reason why it can't run all the way till the end of the year. Football is the biggest participation sport and will get played in preference to summer sports if the season overlap. Could be the case where football is played from September or hopefully earlier all the way to the December holidays all the Summer sports start in January and we start again in June. It can all happen people just need to think outside the box. Refund's are not straight forward especially for the players that have already had a game this season and those that have used the $100 voucher because that can't be returned to player. Everyone just needs to be patient and when the virus is beaten make the best of a very bad situation with all the sports having to take a hit in some form.

The Dunster
26-03-2020, 07:44 PM
https://i.imgur.com/85iByfT.png

I think coaching football is a lot harder. I mean you just plug in the data and you get a definitive answer.
Football is a lot of unknowns.

finzee
26-03-2020, 07:54 PM
Could be the case where football is played from September or hopefully earlier all the way to the December holidays all the Summer sports start in January and we start again in June.

Cricket takes most grounds from October. Maybe the NPL youth could avoid this due to NPL grounds not having cricket on them.

Goatscheese
27-03-2020, 10:22 AM
Cricket takes most grounds from October. Maybe the NPL youth could avoid this due to NPL grounds not having cricket on them.

Northern and FFA need to have a chat with local councils about this. Including ensuring that if cricket do book a ground they actually use it. See plenty of block bookings by cricket clubs and the association and no games on it for weeks on end.

Dontknowmuch
27-03-2020, 11:04 AM

Well cricket will just have to be told that that they can start when football finishes same for Surf Lifesaving etc, winter sports are the biggest participation sports they need to get played to get the most amount of the public active again. The Summer sports can't get off with NO distruption or loss everyone has to take a hit possibly over the next 2 years to get back to normal.

In Melbourne are they going to stop AFL at the MCG for a cricket game?

Goatscheese
27-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Well cricket will just have to be told that that they can start when football finishes same for Surf Lifesaving etc, winter sports are the biggest participation sports they need to get played to get the most amount of the public active again. The Summer sports can't get off with NO distruption or loss everyone has to take a hit possibly over the next 2 years to get back to normal.

In Melbourne are they going to stop AFL at the MCG for a cricket game?

The AFL has a bit more clout with the MCC over use of the MCG then local clubs have with councils. Why we need heavy hitters to come in.

Onyatoes
30-04-2020, 01:24 PM
Whether or not Senior football proceeds (local Rugby League have today pulled pin if crowds not allowed), Youth football is all but guaranteed with restrictions as all clubs have given 100% support. Whilst this gives one a sense of comfort that the clubs care about Youth and SAP there is a separate agenda at play. Any Youth parent here? Ring your club. Ask them if refunds (less gear) are available regardless of whether a comp is played or not.....NPL clubs have spent the money. Probably clearing 2019 debt in November, but also to fund ridiculous sign on fees for a few Senior players. Ask the question people or continue to get screwed over and nothing will ever change. Rumblings around the country already on this front.....First XI, FFA Review with Remo Nogarotto. NNSWF will be called on at some stage to share the lay of the land. An opportune time to enforce some changes.

Hurricane
30-04-2020, 01:37 PM
Whether or not Senior football proceeds (local Rugby League have today pulled pin if crowds not allowed), Youth football is all but guaranteed with restrictions as all clubs have given 100% support. Whilst this gives one a sense of comfort that the clubs care about Youth and SAP there is a separate agenda at play. Any Youth parent here? Ring your club. Ask them if refunds (less gear) are available regardless of whether a comp is played or not.....NPL clubs have spent the money. Probably clearing 2019 debt in November, but also to fund ridiculous sign on fees for a few Senior players. Ask the question people or continue to get screwed over and nothing will ever change. Rumblings around the country already on this front.....First XI, FFA Review with Remo Nogarotto. NNSWF will be called on at some stage to share the lay of the land. An opportune time to enforce some changes.

This would be part of it with some clubs I am sure Onya.
But people wanting full refunds are kidding as well.
Proportions of a players rego goes to Northern and to ffa. Clubs aren't financially stable enough to repay that money unless it is reimbursed by Northern and ffa.
Then you have the gear component, all players get upwards of $300 in gear, bags training gear, playing strips, tracksuits, dress shirt.
The club has ordered and paid and distributed all of this gear out, so there can't be a refund here either.
But I agree with you that certain clubs definitely dip into youth registration to pay senior squads

Goatscheese
30-04-2020, 02:14 PM

So your club is giving a partial refund to parents? Has already given a refund?

Alan
30-04-2020, 03:54 PM
This would be part of it with some clubs I am sure Onya.
But people wanting full refunds are kidding as well.
Proportions of a players rego goes to Northern and to ffa. Clubs aren't financially stable enough to repay that money unless it is reimbursed by Northern and ffa.
Then you have the gear component, all players get upwards of $300 in gear, bags training gear, playing strips, tracksuits, dress shirt.
The club has ordered and paid and distributed all of this gear out, so there can't be a refund here either.
But I agree with you that certain clubs definitely dip into youth registration to pay senior squads

Hi guys,

Northern fees for SAP are around $350, so the rest of the fees after that go directly to the club. You are right Hurricane that some clubs do include playing strips as part of the SAP package, but some clubs do not and this is an extra on top. I will let the parents on here work out just how much of their fees go to the club but it is fair to say some SAP and Youth regos definitely prop up the Seniors at many.

I understand Onyatoes point about calling clubs out on this but clubs have been allowed to get away with this from Northern. Same in Sydney, same on the Central Coast. The game needs the root and branch change that is being hinted at by James Johnson and rego fees are top of his list.

I wholeheartedly believe community, SAP and Youth football will go ahead this year - and soon from the noises I am hearing! - but refunds will be a contentious part of club administration over the next few months. Rightly so too.

A

Aegon
30-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Jaffa’s SAP fees:
30-35% on uniforms
35-40% goes to Northern

The club gets the rest.

Still cheaper than paying for my girls gymnastics or in the past dancing.

Hunter403
30-04-2020, 07:30 PM
Jaffa’s SAP fees:
30-35% on uniforms
35-40% goes to Northern

The club gets the rest.

Still cheaper than paying for my girls gymnastics or in the past dancing.

Don't forget that the part that goes to the club has to help cver ground payments, power etc. No doubt there is something left after all the running costs are paid, but not all.

Aegon
01-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Don't forget that the part that goes to the club has to help cver ground payments, power etc. No doubt there is something left after all the running costs are paid, but not all.

Yup, completely understand. I'm not complaining, was just giving an example of the breakdown.

Alan
01-05-2020, 02:32 PM

This is of course true Hunter and is important for parents to remember. But what a lot of parents may not know if that lots of clubs pool all money together from SAP all the way up to Seniors and then use this for the running of the club. The 'running' obviously includes 1st grade wages, fine payments, lighting for training at main ground lighting and maintenance, not all of which SAP and youth players have access to. Most parents I talk to would like the majority of their fees to be going towards their childs football but this isn't strictly the case for the most part.

Aegon - you sound happy with the fees you pay at your club which is great. A lot of my time spent in my role at the club is spent discussing fees with parents and I often find it difficult to justify the costs. Perhaps I'll use your example of gymnastics or dancing as a comparison!

A

Aegon
01-05-2020, 03:58 PM
This is of course true Hunter and is important for parents to remember. But what a lot of parents may not know if that lots of clubs pool all money together from SAP all the way up to Seniors and then use this for the running of the club. The 'running' obviously includes 1st grade wages, fine payments, lighting for training at main ground lighting and maintenance, not all of which SAP and youth players have access to. Most parents I talk to would like the majority of their fees to be going towards their childs football but this isn't strictly the case for the most part.

Aegon - you sound happy with the fees you pay at your club which is great. A lot of my time spent in my role at the club is spent discussing fees with parents and I often find it difficult to justify the costs. Perhaps I'll use your example of gymnastics or dancing as a comparison!

A

Gymnastics for my 5yo $200 per term, for my 8yo $330 per term + $75 annual registration. 2 hrs per week.
Dancing was way worse.

SAP $1000 per season. 3-4hrs training per week + 22 games.

Hunter403
01-05-2020, 05:24 PM
I think it would be a wise club that itemised where the fee went, for example $10 for lighting, $20 for ground hire, $30 for rego etc. Transparent itemisation would clear up a lot of arguments and also discourage clubs from passing on things like a large fine to a senior coach to all the youth players. :whistling:

It is the unknowns that lead to parental speculation.

Reds Forever
01-05-2020, 06:29 PM
Slightly off topic to fees. How have people found communication from their clubs since the shut down?

Without naming any club. Have been very disappointed in our clubs communication. We have received no information, updates, rego details or any training drills since training finished. Kids basically told to kick ball around and keep fit.

Alan
01-05-2020, 10:24 PM
I think it would be a wise club that itemised where the fee went, for example $10 for lighting, $20 for ground hire, $30 for rego etc. Transparent itemisation would clear up a lot of arguments and also discourage clubs from passing on things like a large fine to a senior coach to all the youth players. :whistling:

It is the unknowns that lead to parental speculation.

I absolutely agree with you Hunter. But at our club I’ve been told not to do that because too much information leads to too many questions. SAP and youth parents obviously won’t want to pay the Senior club bills but that’s how it is. If we itemise real costs there will be uproar. Sadly, as it stands, we name the price, parents pay, and no more questions asked.

Alan
01-05-2020, 10:28 PM
Slightly off topic to fees. How have people found communication from their clubs since the shut down?

Without naming any club. Have been very disappointed in our clubs communication. We have received no information, updates, rego details or any training drills since training finished. Kids basically told to kick ball around and keep fit.

I understand your frustration Red. At our club coaches sent out some drills early on, but the reality is that clubs have been in the dark as much as everyone else. I’ve been desperate to communicate with our parents, but with nothing concrete to say it was felt best to say nothing at all.

Hopefully, with the news from today, everything will change and you’ll be overwhelmed with comms from your club!

A

Captain_Carl
02-05-2020, 07:19 AM
Youth NPL to kick off on the weekend of 4th-5th July. Finish on weekend of 31st Oct-1st Nov. No finals to be played. A couple of mid-week games thrown in and some weekends for Mid Coast and North Coast to play on both the Saturday and Sunday. Not set in stone yet but NNSWF have asked clubs to approve or otherwise.

Aegon
02-05-2020, 10:25 AM

Excellent.
Drills, YouTube Videos, etc have been sent through plus checking in emails from the Football Director.

Dodo14
03-05-2020, 09:30 PM
Youth football was going to go ahead as the clubs cant afford to refund. Senior football was not wanted to go ahead without spectators to pay gate and canteen as clubs cant afford player payments without them.

Hurricane
03-05-2020, 09:45 PM
Youth football was going to go ahead as the clubs cant afford to refund. Senior football was not wanted to go ahead without spectators to pay gate and canteen as clubs cant afford player payments without them.

Both will go ahead, guaranteed Dodo.
If spectators are not allowed, clubs will have to speak to their senior squad and stars about taking pay cuts or not playing this season

Onyatoes
19-05-2020, 09:18 PM
You slag me off for making shit up and then you start towing my line on the Youth forums? I take it as a compliment champion. Your welcome. Yes both will play, no spectators. First past the post won't fly in Youth, forfeits will be everywhere. The NPL Seniors will go cap in hand to NNSWF. If Eland is dumb enough to pay up or give them concessions he deserves what is coming. Time for him to earn his CEO wage and show some balls and lead the way.

Hunter403
27-05-2020, 08:04 AM
Kids can go to school, sit next to each other in classes of 20 plus, be near each other in corridors etc, but they can only train in the open air in groups of 10 and have no physical contact. And the experts tell us kids are less likely to catch it.

Can't have parents watch, again in the open air, and likely way less than 100 per game but we can all congregate in shopping centres in our thousands.

Seems out of balance to me.

Goatscheese
27-05-2020, 05:48 PM
Kids can go to school, sit next to each other in classes of 20 plus, be near each other in corridors etc, but they can only train in the open air in groups of 10 and have no physical contact. And the experts tell us kids are less likely to catch it.

Less likely to spread it but it isn't just kids that play.

Can't have parents watch, again in the open air, and likely way less than 100 per game but we can all congregate in shopping centres in our thousands.

They aren't meant to be congregating in groups in shopping centres either. Just because they do doesn't mean they should.

Aegon
27-05-2020, 07:08 PM
Less likely to spread it but it isn't just kids that play.

They aren't meant to be congregating in groups in shopping centres either. Just because they do doesn't mean they should.

I think the point was more around inconsistency.

I’m with Hunter, I can’t make sense of most of the rules in place atm.

Goatscheese
27-05-2020, 07:30 PM
I think the point was more around inconsistency.

I’m with Hunter, I can’t make sense of most of the rules in place atm.

Indeed talk about 50 allowed in a pub but only 10 allowed as a group to train

hamburgler
28-05-2020, 07:25 PM
Indeed talk about 50 allowed in a pub but only 10 allowed as a group to train

Watching news tonight with over 250
Broncos fans watching game from a drive in, all parked side by side, 70 cars, over 250 people, sitting outside there cars on chairs and blankets.
Social distancing in so far as each family is at least 2 metres away from the next.
Can anyone tell me how this is ok yet we can’t go watch games?
My son has just turned 17 and is driving, playing 18s but we now can’t go to watch at all.
It’s crazy.
Especially when you see the crowds and lack of distancing in shopping centres at times.
Expect no explanation from Northern they are useless

ForeverRed
28-05-2020, 09:40 PM
Watching news tonight with over 250
Broncos fans watching game from a drive in, all parked side by side, 70 cars, over 250 people, sitting outside there cars on chairs and blankets.
Social distancing in so far as each family is at least 2 metres away from the next.
Can anyone tell me how this is ok yet we can’t go watch games?
My son has just turned 17 and is driving, playing 18s but we now can’t go to watch at all.
It’s crazy.
Especially when you see the crowds and lack of distancing in shopping centres at times.
Expect no explanation from Northern they are useless
The rules come from the NSW government of sport, get facts right or don’t comment

Thomas477
29-05-2020, 04:50 PM
The rules come from the NSW government of sport, get facts right or don’t comment

Why bother with facts in this thread?

KITZ
29-05-2020, 07:10 PM

I think you were looking for "NSW Office of Sport"....

Was posted today that youth including 18's will get their full season, as it is, just with shifted dates.

"There is no material change to the NPL Youth competitions. Clubs will play out their season as it is currently structured, with alterations made only to the fixtures to push the season back."

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/premier-competition-structures-for-season-2020-announced/

Goatscheese
31-05-2020, 10:09 AM
Out of the 5 comps by Northern it is the only one to not be any different.

Dodo14
31-05-2020, 09:16 PM
U18's have been pushed down to the youth group and are playing a full season as well. This is just so the clubs don't have to pay any refunds to youth players. Everything from Northern and the clubs has been about money and refunds. So sad

Captain_Carl
01-06-2020, 05:38 AM
I think you were looking for "NSW Office of Sport"....

Was posted today that youth including 18's will get their full season, as it is, just with shifted dates.

"There is no material change to the NPL Youth competitions. Clubs will play out their season as it is currently structured, with alterations made only to the fixtures to push the season back."

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/premier-competition-structures-for-season-2020-announced/

Actually there is another change. Games that are washed out will not be replayed. Such games will be classed as a draw and both teams will be awarded 1 point. North Coast are guaranteed at least half of their matches will proceed by playing on synthetic at Speers Point. Clubs whose drainage is not so good may potentially miss out, keeping in mind the BOM has forecast a wetter than usual winter.

Aegon
01-06-2020, 08:00 AM
U18's have been pushed down to the youth group and are playing a full season as well. This is just so the clubs don't have to pay any refunds to youth players. Everything from Northern and the clubs has been about money and refunds. So sad

Seems very similar to the other associations. I'm not the biggest fan of NNSWF administration but it's hard to single them out for this one.

KITZ
02-06-2020, 04:22 PM

I don't understand this comment. Money and refunds? I know I'd prefer that my kid still gets a full season (or any sort of season) of football, games are integral to development. Why is it sad, especially at this level?

I think it's sad all the community kids that are going to miss out because clubs can't run a season this year. I think the NL1 and up Youth are actually lucky to not lose a full season of football.

In regards to washed out games, I guess you can't win them all, but some sort of season is still better than nothing.

Hunter403
13-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Great to see all the boys back playing. Some blow outs in some games.

Alton
13-07-2020, 09:58 AM
Great to see all the boys back playing. Some blow outs in some games.

Are you surprised?

Hunter403
13-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Are you surprised?

Not in the slightest. The talent pool is still way too shallow.

Johnno
13-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Not in the slightest. The talent pool is still way too shallow.

Northern really need to do something in this space. You are right talent pool way to small. I reckon 8 teams in each grade max. Then you have NewFm comp that’s worse. The flow on though is terrible went and watched my nephew play interdistrict A grade on Saturday seriously the standard was atrocious. Yet as I stood back and watched and listened parents from both clubs carrying on their kid is playing A grade. The whole system is so broken. Over to you NNSW.

Hunter403
13-07-2020, 04:37 PM
Hopefully, over time, SAP will go some way to fixing this. In the meantime there will remain a big gap between some NPL clubs, and an even bigger gap to the NEWFM.

Aegon
13-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Hopefully, over time, SAP will go some way to fixing this. In the meantime there will remain a big gap between some NPL clubs, and an even bigger gap to the NEWFM.

Hopefully SAP creates a bigger pool of kids that have received better training earlier than they would have previously. Unfortunately though SAP is already having issues with very one sided games.

Hunter403
13-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Hopefully SAP creates a bigger pool of kids that have received better training earlier than they would have previously. Unfortunately though SAP is already having issues with very one sided games.

Best kids congregating at the "bigger" clubs?

Not sure how to fix it unless NNSW run it and have no club affiliations with it.

Aegon
13-07-2020, 08:48 PM
Best kids congregating at the "bigger" clubs?

Not sure how to fix it unless NNSW run it and have no club affiliations with it.

The best kids are definitely still going to the strong clubs. The Under 10's and 11's NNSWF Skill Development Programs (NPL TSP equivalent) are at least 50-60% full with kids from Olympic and Magic. Other clubs have a max of 1-2 players, if any, to make up the numbers.

The problem is that you then have these very strong teams playing against some of the NewFM Club SAP teams. When the likes of Adamstown, Lak Mac, Weston are being played off the park by the stronger clubs, what hope do they have?

Alan
14-07-2020, 01:22 PM
The best kids are definitely still going to the strong clubs. The Under 10's and 11's NNSWF Skill Development Programs (NPL TSP equivalent) are at least 50-60% full with kids from Olympic and Magic. Other clubs have a max of 1-2 players, if any, to make up the numbers.

The problem is that you then have these very strong teams playing against some of the NewFM Club SAP teams. When the likes of Adamstown, Lak Mac, Weston are being played off the park by the stronger clubs, what hope do they have?

Hi guys,

This is a good discussion. I am currently concerned with what happens when U10 SAP rolls into U11 SAP and clubs carrying two teams need an extra 4-5 players for each team. The bigger clubs are going to seek out the better players, and that means other smaller clubs will lose their better players. This mean more lopsided games and less competitive games all round.

I have proposed moving to one team in U11 SAP at our club to mitigate this problem, and the club are happy to do it - but only if every other clubs agrees to this as well. With upwards of $10k in rego fees for an U11 SAP team, clubs are not going to pull the pin on that extra team, and so the cycle of bigger clubs accumulating all the better kids goes on.

Northern said 2 years ago U11 would be one team per club. But money talked and that disappeared quickly. All this means that by the time you get to Youth age games, kids are already either at 2/3 teams, or many have been lost to the game.

This makes me a bit sad!

A

sapdad
14-07-2020, 07:39 PM

magic and olympic have been 2 of the clubs that have implemented the SAP program better than most.as for newfm teams struggling you certainly havent been watching teams play.plenty of big clubs out there playing football directly opposite to the point of SAP but coaches/parents/players very boisterous about how good they are based on them winning games.that philosophy will carry over to NPL youth and the best footballing teams will be still strong.you want to talk about players abandoning teams what about when teams cut 10 year old kids for no real reason.kids that then turn up at places like magic and olympic who then go on to perform more than adequately to justify a place in their program.a big focus needs to be put on coaches and tds at these some of these so called big clubs to see what order they prioritise winning, skill development and the well being of the kids.and be honest with yourselves because ive seen enough shameful shit already to know who the really successful clubs are.

Goatscheese
14-07-2020, 09:10 PM
Northern really need to do something in this space. You are right talent pool way to small. I reckon 8 teams in each grade max. Then you have NewFm comp that’s worse. The flow on though is terrible went and watched my nephew play interdistrict A grade on Saturday seriously the standard was atrocious. Yet as I stood back and watched and listened parents from both clubs carrying on their kid is playing A grade. The whole system is so broken. Over to you NNSW.

I've seen some NewFM Youth team able to beat some NPL Youth teams. There is really three groups in NNSW Youth comps, 6-7 good NPL teams, the rest that the top 4 NewFM teams can match with and then the rest.

Northern's mid-season cup they had planned would've gone a good way to showing this and I wouldn't have been surprised to see a NewFM club win when their NPL opponents were Lakes and Valentine

KITZ
15-07-2020, 08:58 AM
I've seen some NewFM Youth team able to beat some NPL Youth teams. There is really three groups in NNSW Youth comps, 6-7 good NPL teams, the rest that the top 4 NewFM teams can match with and then the rest.

Northern's mid-season cup they had planned would've gone a good way to showing this and I wouldn't have been surprised to see a NewFM club win when their NPL opponents were Lakes and Valentine

Lol. Way to underestimate the kids. I very much doubt a NEWFM under 13 team would beat the Valo team this year, even Lakes this year is half a team of SAP kids. Just like SAP some NPL clubs are all about winning and others about development of players. Ask how many kids at magic or Jaffas get to bench for the next age group up. Some clubs specifically leave spots for the best kids in their younger group to play up. It's short sighted and shows a lack of understanding about football development to look at a scoreline. When was the last time a goalkeeper was picked up by the jets from a top team. Where do those same winning clubs look for hard working defenders and Youth players that don't have such a big ego that they fall apart a few goals down as they come through the NPL age groups.

If you have kids in SAP now, then you have got a long way to go, and the kids have a lot of realisations to come to about the pure politics of football selection as they get older. If you want to prepare them, prepare them for the resilience and tenacity they will need, when a kid is selected for NPL not because he is better but because he has an older sibling playing for the club, or throws in a substantial sponsorship. thats the truth of it, Welcome to NPL.

Captain_Carl
15-07-2020, 11:25 AM

Laughable. I doubt there would be an U14 NewFM team that could beat the Valo 13s this season!

Aegon
15-07-2020, 01:09 PM
magic and olympic have been 2 of the clubs that have implemented the SAP program better than most.as for newfm teams struggling you certainly havent been watching teams play.plenty of big clubs out there playing football directly opposite to the point of SAP but coaches/parents/players very boisterous about how good they are based on them winning games.that philosophy will carry over to NPL youth and the best footballing teams will be still strong.you want to talk about players abandoning teams what about when teams cut 10 year old kids for no real reason.kids that then turn up at places like magic and olympic who then go on to perform more than adequately to justify a place in their program.a big focus needs to be put on coaches and tds at these some of these so called big clubs to see what order they prioritise winning, skill development and the well being of the kids.and be honest with yourselves because ive seen enough shameful shit already to know who the really successful clubs are.

I'm not going to continue a SAP discussion in this thread, I'll reply to your comments in the SAP one.

My main point was about the best kids going to the best clubs in SAP - which will carry over to NPL Youth.

Captain_Carl
20-07-2020, 03:21 PM

I think the picture is difficult to read but the current 13s ladder already appears to be showing a distinct divide between the better and lesser teams. Should there be 2 tiers in youth? If so, how many teams in each?

Hunter403
20-07-2020, 03:28 PM
yep and take a look at the 15s table. Even more pronounced:

u14s, Olympic after 4 matches have a gd of 40!

Retired01
21-07-2020, 09:23 AM
It simply supports the point made in the SAP thread that the talent is too diluted. There are just too many teams and not enough talented kids

Dontknowmuch
21-07-2020, 10:04 AM
It simply supports the point made in the SAP thread that the talent is too diluted. There are just too many teams and not enough talented kids

It has more to do with competitive parents and the ruthlessness of most of the stronger clubs. All the parents want their talented kids to play in the stronger clubs and the stronger clubs show no loyalty at all and will remove their own long term club kids without even giving a 2nd thought. Hoping that SAP will make a difference the more I hear and see it is just making the situation worse.

Take Olympic for example they arguably have had the best youth teams for the past 5 to 6 years maybe 10 other than the Jets of course but how many of them have actually made it to 1st grade? You would hope a lot at least enough to not have to recruit older players like Hodgson and the Faj brothers to play who i believe are all in the senior playing group this season and were not last year.

What parents need to start to realise that only 1 to 3 kids from each age group will actually make 1st grade and all the kids congregating at the strongest clubs is actually in the main stunting their individual development and giving them less chance to play 1st grade at the club. Winning by big margins and and not being tested every week is poor development, hence why the Jets have been screaming out to get back to Sydney and hopefully in the next 5 years we will see a better player come out of the that system than we have in recent times and a lot more of them.

Parents leave your talented kids at your local club and to those strong clubs be loyal to your juniors and make them better players rather than discarding them for better ones. Yeah you might not win as many trophies but you will have an even competition and much more loyal players that when they get to 1st grade you not have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them play to play for you, hence then you can lower your Youth registration fees.

There fixed all the issues in one post. Fat chance of it happening to many ego's at play.

Hunter403
21-07-2020, 07:00 PM
It has more to do with competitive parents and the ruthlessness of most of the stronger clubs. All the parents want their talented kids to play in the stronger clubs and the stronger clubs show no loyalty at all and will remove their own long term club kids without even giving a 2nd thought. Hoping that SAP will make a difference the more I hear and see it is just making the situation worse.

Take Olympic for example they arguably have had the best youth teams for the past 5 to 6 years maybe 10 other than the Jets of course but how many of them have actually made it to 1st grade? You would hope a lot at least enough to not have to recruit older players like Hodgson and the Faj brothers to play who i believe are all in the senior playing group this season and were not last year.

What parents need to start to realise that only 1 to 3 kids from each age group will actually make 1st grade and all the kids congregating at the strongest clubs is actually in the main stunting their individual development and giving them less chance to play 1st grade at the club. Winning by big margins and and not being tested every week is poor development, hence why the Jets have been screaming out to get back to Sydney and hopefully in the next 5 years we will see a better player come out of the that system than we have in recent times and a lot more of them.

Parents leave your talented kids at your local club and to those strong clubs be loyal to your juniors and make them better players rather than discarding them for better ones. Yeah you might not win as many trophies but you will have an even competition and much more loyal players that when they get to 1st grade you not have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them play to play for you, hence then you can lower your Youth registration fees.

There fixed all the issues in one post. Fat chance of it happening to many ego's at play.

Agree with some of what you have said but not all

My son spent u13 to under 16 inclusive at the one NPL club. Top four 3 out of 4 seasons, 2 grand final wins and a semi final loss on penalties. That team were virtually unchanged over the 4 years. Of that u16 squad, only 2 were not retained for the 18s out of those that wanted to stay (some decided to go closer to home). The majority players that left over the 4 years were those seeking opportunities in the NSW NPL. Very few were sent on their way.

My observations over the years would seem to suggest that it is the weaker clubs that ditch the kids. I can say that the majority of kids in my son's team were there for the 4 years, as were those at Olympic and Magic. It was the weaker clubs, looking for quick solutions to their lower table positions, that discarded kids faster than a bride discarding her nightie.

Dontknowmuch
22-07-2020, 09:23 AM
Agree with some of what you have said but not all

My son spent u13 to under 16 inclusive at the one NPL club. Top four 3 out of 4 seasons, 2 grand final wins and a semi final loss on penalties. That team were virtually unchanged over the 4 years. Of that u16 squad, only 2 were not retained for the 18s out of those that wanted to stay (some decided to go closer to home). The majority players that left over the 4 years were those seeking opportunities in the NSW NPL. Very few were sent on their way.

My observations over the years would seem to suggest that it is the weaker clubs that ditch the kids. I can say that the majority of kids in my son's team were there for the 4 years, as were those at Olympic and Magic. It was the weaker clubs, looking for quick solutions to their lower table positions, that discarded kids faster than a bride discarding her nightie.

How many of your kids team in the U13's were juniors at the club?

BS detecor
22-07-2020, 10:17 AM

I’d say close to zero. Magic are the only club that bring their 12s through to NPL.

Hunter403
22-07-2020, 08:28 PM

Now you are testing the memory....
As I remember, 2 or 3 came from Morisset, 2 from Newcastle Football, 3 or 4 from Warners Bay, one from Nelson Bay and a couple from Macquarie Football.
Recall that back then, there was no SAP as it exists now.
Kids played in either the Newcastle/Macquarie/Hunter football or in club community teams. There were no NEWFM youth teams. All NPL clubs got their u13s from either of those two sources. Some clubs got most from Newcastle/Macquarie/Hunter football, some just got a couple and the rest from community league and some got nothing but community league.
At that time the Newcastle/Macquarie/Hunter football "graduated" about 90 kids and the NPL needed about 150 or more. There was no even distribution of the Newcastle/Macquarie/Hunter football kids, they went where they pleased. Community kids made up the shortfall via trials. On top of this, this was the first year that the Jets ran their programme.
Some were lucky enough to have kids "steered" to them from Newcastle/Macquarie/Hunter football, some actively recruited but I think all relied upon kids from outside their internal club arrangements. Magic did rely primarily on kids from their own club as they refused to participate in the Newcastle programme and their kids were encouraged not to go there.

Captain_Carl
25-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Today I witnessed a magnificent game. U14 Valentine vs Olympic at Cahill Oval. Olympic won 1-0 but there was 2 winners on the day. Olympic collected the 3 points but Valentine collected a whole lot of respect. Olympic are the benchmark in the 14s and thoroughly deserve to be where they are. Valentine were not rated at all preseason but are starting to become known as a side that will give it their all win, lose or draw. Today Olympic won the points and Valentine won the respect of many.

Jim
26-07-2020, 12:46 PM
I’d say close to zero. Magic are the only club that bring their 12s through to NPL.
Magic arent any kinder to their weakest players.

There were quite a few that missed out this year from their 12's last year. One lad who went to Charlestown from Magic 12's would fit into the current 13's Magic team. They will also drop a player if a better one comes along. They all do.

Olympic already had some of the best already so the need to ditch is lower.

It's normal that a team in the bottom 5 recruit new kids. They obviously need better talent to try and compete with the stronger clubs. Lets face it the kids often are attracted to the big 2 so other clubs have to look harder for the talent.

Captain_Carl
26-07-2020, 01:11 PM
I suggest you go have a chat to the Magic people and you will discover there is only 3 in their 13s NPL that played in their 12s last year.

BS detecor
26-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Yeah, current TD likes to rock the boat. Previous years 9-10 players would go through from the 12s to NPL and they were always competitive

Reds Forever
26-07-2020, 07:40 PM
I suggest you go have a chat to the Magic people and you will discover there is only 3 in their 13s NPL that played in their 12s last year.

Four players from Magic Juniors were selected. With remainder chosen from various SAP programs of Macquare, Newcastle and Jets.

Not just a Magic thing, even Lambton cut players and they were runaway premiers in U12A last year. Olympic added a number of Newcastle SAP kids and one Jet.

Out of interest, how many did Valentine retain from last years U12 development squad?

Adamstown and Charlestown were pretty ruthless with cutting players from their u12 squads.

Fingers crossed this will be last year of Junior clubs selling development squads as a pathway to NPL through Senior clubs.

Swanky
26-07-2020, 08:41 PM
To all the “ experts,” quoting numbers on how many players Olympic did, or didn’t keep from last year’s 12A team, that lost to Lambton in the GF.

FACT- The Olympic 13s 2020 squad: Has 10 players from last year’s 12As. One 12 year old, whom was with the Club Juniors until he was chosen at Under 9s to play with the Jets has returned, making 11. Another 4 boys were selected from our trials. That’s pretty loyal numbers by anyone’s imagination. A strong, well-structured Youth programme, with suitably qualified coaches ( who are all by the way ex- or current Olympic players ) makes for competitive teams.

BS detecor
26-07-2020, 08:51 PM
Fact - everyone knows for years Olympic dumped almost their entire under 12 team and dropped a ready made ex Newcastle TD’s number 1 team straight into the 13s.

Captain_Carl
26-07-2020, 10:37 PM
Out of interest, how many did Valentine retain from last years U12 development squad?

1 from their U12 development squad
5 who are Valentine juniors returning to their club after SAP at Macquarie
1 x 12 year old from Jets whose junior club was Valo.
5 who are Swansea juniors joining Valentine (their closest NPL club) after SAP at Macquarie.
3 others from out of area.

Aegon
27-07-2020, 01:20 PM
Not sure why there is an even an issue - most clubs will hold trials and look to add players every pre season.
Nearly all teams face attrition from players leaving the game, going to other clubs etc and of course if they see a player obviously better than someone they already have on the roster they will look at replacement.

I'd honestly be more surprised at a club that retains all its players without trying to shop around.

Aegon
27-07-2020, 02:01 PM
Are youth fixtures not being replayed for washouts this year?

Hunter403
27-07-2020, 02:34 PM
Are youth fixtures not being replayed for washouts this year?

No, unfortunately.

samcan
27-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Four players from Magic Juniors were selected. With remainder chosen from various SAP programs of Macquare, Newcastle and Jets.

Not just a Magic thing, even Lambton cut players and they were runaway premiers in U12A last year. Olympic added a number of Newcastle SAP kids and one Jet.

Adamstown and Charlestown were pretty ruthless with cutting players from their u12 squads.

Fingers crossed this will be last year of Junior clubs selling development squads as a pathway to NPL through Senior clubs.

Player rotations shouldnt be an issue for any club as long as they are trying to objectively strengthen the squad.

What we dont need are teams that are already blessed with talent pretending they are more loyal. They will cut anyone just the same. Loyalty comes into it down a grade or 2.

Dontknowmuch
30-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Player rotations shouldnt be an issue for any club as long as they are trying to objectively strengthen the squad.

What we dont need are teams that are already blessed with talent pretending they are more loyal. They will cut anyone just the same. Loyalty comes into it down a grade or 2.

Why are they trying to get to strengthen the squad by taking strong players from other clubs? Why are they not working with the weaker players to make them better? We all know the answer.

Its these same clubs and parents that get on here and around town saying how weak the competition is. It's not every club some clubs do it very well but as long as the stronger clubs remain ruthless in getting all the good kids in the competition to their club the competitions will always have a big divide.

Aegon
30-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Why are they trying to get to strengthen the squad by taking strong players from other clubs? Why are they not working with the weaker players to make them better? We all know the answer.

Its these same clubs and parents that get on here and around town saying how weak the competition is. It's not every club some clubs do it very well but as long as the stronger clubs remain ruthless in getting all the good kids in the competition to their club the competitions will always have a big divide.

Maybe a player points system needs to be implemented at Youth Level.

mge61
30-07-2020, 12:59 PM
Base it on your postcode or address similar to the school system.

ForeverRed
31-07-2020, 08:41 AM
100% that’s how it was when I was in my early teens and there was some absolute quality players come through

Dontknowmuch
31-07-2020, 11:43 AM

100% agree with this. Great idea. Could have dispensation for playing their as a junior, siblings playing their etc, this would be perfect up to the age of 15's then they can go where they want to.

The Dunster
31-07-2020, 03:32 PM

You want the teams to be owned / run by the state government ?

mge61
31-07-2020, 05:31 PM
You want the teams to be owned / run by the state government ?
No it has nothing to do with the government

The Dunster
01-08-2020, 10:31 AM
No it has nothing to do with the government

So which private schools enrol students based on their postcodes ?

I don't think communist policies is the way forward in football.

Bremsstrahlung
01-08-2020, 11:23 AM

What's the problem?

The NPL is meant to be the best ~150 of each age bracket. Each club is trying to have the best 11 in their team. Kids develop at different rates. There will be some change to who the best are.

What's wrong with a club/team trying to improve? Should the Jets keep the same team if they win the wooden spoon? Should the Jets just try and develop our players better ? Of course not. So why should NPL be any different?

Each club is different though. Some will focus on development and exhibit loyalty, while others will not.
It seems like you guys know which clubs will poach and recruit players.
My question, would you want your child to play there if they were asked?

If the answer is yes, then there's a bit of hypocrisy obviously.
If the answer is no, then there is the solution. If players/parents recognise what is happening and choose not to leave, then those clubs will be forced to re-think their approach.

But, it must still be happening. So what are they offering that makes it worthwhile?

Bremsstrahlung
02-08-2020, 07:34 AM
Jets Youth seem to be enjoying NSW NPL2.
18s the only team to have lost. But 2 games and 4 points behind first.
All other teams are top and undefeated.
13s have a goal difference of 45 or something

early_to_the_match
03-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Jets Youth seem to be enjoying NSW NPL2.
18s the only team to have lost. But 2 games and 4 points behind first.
All other teams are top and undefeated.
13s have a goal difference of 45 or something
To put things in perspective, the youth teams are playing in their own age against teams outside the top 24 clubs if I understand correctly.

BS detecor
03-08-2020, 10:21 AM
To put things in perspective, the youth teams are playing in their own age against teams outside the top 24 clubs if I understand correctly.

More or less but they were smashing teams double digits an age group above against the best nnsw had to offer so I guess you gotta start somewhere

W8 WATCHER
03-08-2020, 10:29 AM

JETS 1ST and 20's not doing so well.
Last in both, with big score lines against them, maybe NPL 4 was more suitable

Aegon
03-08-2020, 11:06 AM
More or less but they were smashing teams double digits an age group above against the best nnsw had to offer so I guess you gotta start somewhere

2019 vs 2020 so far

U16's - 1st - 18-2-4 137F 29A
U15's - 3rd - 16-3-5 83F 31A
U14's - 3rd - 20-0-4 95F 22A
U13's - 1st - 23-1-0 180F 20A

U18's - 3rd - 3-0-1 11F 5A
U16's - 1st - 6-0-0 27F 2A
U15's - 1st - 5-1-0 28F 2A
U14's - 1st - 6-0-0 17F 3A

This years U13's are killing it 6-0-0 44F 1A

So this year will be doing it slightly easy but comparable to NNSWF comp.

Hopefully they can gain promotion and get the better competition the youth teams deserve.

Is it reliant on the 20's to gain promotion though?

samcan
03-08-2020, 11:48 AM

The old play in your postcode clubs. Good idea but parents or coaches will be be fudging addresses to get them into certain clubs.

KITZ
03-08-2020, 11:56 AM
The old play in your postcode clubs. Good idea but parents or coaches will be be fudging addresses to get them into certain clubs.

Would never work. We don't have any teams near our postcode. Why should the best players miss out because they don't have an NPL club next door. Same with A-league academies, Many families travel or move for opportunities.

early_to_the_match
03-08-2020, 01:37 PM
JETS 1ST and 20's not doing so well.
Last in both, with big score lines against them, maybe NPL 4 was more suitable
I believe they struggled in NPL 4 as well before being promoted. But hopefully the experience will help them catch up.

W8 WATCHER
03-08-2020, 03:08 PM
I believe they struggled in NPL 4 as well before being promoted. But hopefully the experience will help them catch up.

if they come last, could they be relegated to NPL5.
traditionally in FNSW, the a league youth teams don't fair well against the club teams

samcan
05-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Would never work. We don't have any teams near our postcode. Why should the best players miss out because they don't have an NPL club next door. Same with A-league academies, Many families travel or move for opportunities.

Not exactly. Boys would progress to the NEAREST NPL club. And maybe have the strongest team in the comp if theyre retaining quality players.

But youre right, cant happen

Hunter403
05-08-2020, 06:17 PM

hardly smashing. check the tables and results in all ages over the last 4 years. Smashed some, just beat others and beaten themselves.
For example
Last years Under 16 comp
Minor premiers Jets 15s
That same team made the semis twice over 4 years (2019 and 2016), coming 4th in under 13s. In 14s and 15s season, didn't feature in the semis.

They stood out over all 4 ages groups no more than Olympic, Jaffas, etc.

BS detecor
05-08-2020, 07:34 PM
hardly smashing. check the tables and results in all ages over the last 4 years. Smashed some, just beat others and beaten themselves.
For example
Last years Under 16 comp
Minor premiers Jets 15s
That same team made the semis twice over 4 years (2019 and 2016), coming 4th in under 13s. In 14s and 15s season, didn't feature in the semis.

They stood out over all 4 ages groups no more than Olympic, Jaffas, etc.

I read on this forum that a jets team beat a Charlestown team 22-0 and age group up. That tells me one of those teams doesn’t belong in the competition. I would understand that score line in SAP or under 6’s.

Beaver
05-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Watched u13 MaitlandFC v Jaffa’s tonight real quality, Maitland have a real strong team so good to see another club ( other than the regulars) getting a strong u13 squad -they will be near the top of table from what I’ve seen! FYI maitland won 4-1 to stay undefeated

Hunter403
05-08-2020, 08:55 PM
You are right there BS. Hopefully when SAP comes through, these blow outs will become a thing of the past.

In NPL Youth, some clubs are just way stronger than others. The hope is SAP will fix this.

Thomas477
05-08-2020, 10:16 PM
Well I don’t think the Jets 15s will be playing for a while.

The Magician
05-08-2020, 10:28 PM
Well I don’t think the Jets 15s will be playing for a while.

Yep approximately 14 days

Bull fighter
06-08-2020, 02:48 PM
So whilst it has been strongly advised for a number of weeks now that Hunter residents do not visit Sydney the Jets team’s have been continually travelling down there to play matches?
I am sure there may be protocols in place but would have thought that it would be a time for a rethink. Anyone have any insights into what the current situation is?

KITZ
06-08-2020, 06:59 PM
So whilst it has been strongly advised for a number of weeks now that Hunter residents do not visit Sydney the Jets team’s have been continually travelling down there to play matches?
I am sure there may be protocols in place but would have thought that it would be a time for a rethink. Anyone have any insights into what the current situation is?

No different to the Mariners who also play in Sydney. Rethink to what? It’s too late for them to do anything else but try and struggle through an already disrupted season as best they can, as is everyone else.

Bull fighter
06-08-2020, 07:48 PM
No different to the Mariners who also play in Sydney. Rethink to what? It’s too late for them to do anything else but try and struggle through an already disrupted season as best they can, as is everyone else.

Are you serious.
Rethink playing in SYDNEY and pull out of the competition for the rest of 2020.

Bremsstrahlung
06-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Don’t think there’s much difference playing in Sydney, than playing in Newcastle, to going to a shopping centre.
You’re only as safe as the people that you are around.
I get screened everyday I go to work. I could easily lie about any symptoms if I wanted to. But they trust me to answer honestly. Same as you trust that people that may be symptomatic will isolate and get tested, or not play sports.

I’m assuming/hoping there’s been a release and lots of memos passed onto people about sitting out and isolating if they are unwell.

BS detecor
06-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Are you serious.
Rethink playing in SYDNEY and pull out of the competition for the rest of 2020.

Are you assuming it was picked up in Sydney or do you know something nobody else does? Last thing I read was “under investigation”

Bull fighter
06-08-2020, 08:38 PM
Are you assuming it was picked up in Sydney or do you know something nobody else does? Last thing I read was “under investigation”

They are not sure where the kid got it and I don’t know anything.
Just not sure it’s an acceptable risk for people to be frequenting areas that the general public has been asked/warned not to go to just for a kids game of football.
I see an article has popped up in the Herald posing this very question and that McKinna & Co are weighing it up but community consensus seems these teams should cease travel to Sydney considering transmission rates are escalating.

BS detecor
06-08-2020, 09:07 PM
I think it’s a cop out. Shouldn’t the community be more worried about shopping centres, pubs and clubs seeing as how that is where the overwhelming majority of cases are contracted. I haven’t heard of a case being contracted at a football ground but I’ll stand corrected if you know of one.
Anyway the statement says they aren’t playing for the next 2 weeks so hopefully things settle down by then or everyone might be cancelled

Bull fighter
06-08-2020, 09:22 PM
I don’t know BS, this is what I do know.
Hunter New England Health issued a warning on 21st July which said ‘Don’t travel to Sydney unless it’s essential’
Kids football games are not essential.
No one knows if there are long term effects of contracting the virus regardless of your age.
Just reported in Herald that this kid has had 140 close contacts, so basically would say we are now ****ed and cases will be popping up everywhere.

Bull fighter
06-08-2020, 09:45 PM
Another school shutdown, brother now tests positive.

Dontknowmuch
07-08-2020, 09:13 AM
I think it’s a cop out. Shouldn’t the community be more worried about shopping centres, pubs and clubs seeing as how that is where the overwhelming majority of cases are contracted. I haven’t heard of a case being contracted at a football ground but I’ll stand corrected if you know of one.
Anyway the statement says they aren’t playing for the next 2 weeks so hopefully things settle down by then or everyone might be cancelled

You are crazy if you think parents and kids travelling to Sydney to play football in and around hot spots and the Sydney teams coming up here every 2nd week is ok. This needs to stop till the cases slow down, it's just football they are and anyone else going into relatively uncontrolled areas of Sydney are putting their families health at risk let alone the whole town. Pubs, shopping centres, workplaces etc are somewhat controlled environments, 99% of football fields are run by volunteers and are at best semi controlled environments most just have token Sanitiser out etc its easy to see how they can be breeding grounds. It's just not worth it right now.

KITZ
08-08-2020, 08:13 AM
You are crazy if you think parents and kids travelling to Sydney to play football in and around hot spots and the Sydney teams coming up here every 2nd week is ok. This needs to stop till the cases slow down, it's just football they are and anyone else going into relatively uncontrolled areas of Sydney are putting their families health at risk let alone the whole town. Pubs, shopping centres, workplaces etc are somewhat controlled environments, 99% of football fields are run by volunteers and are at best semi controlled environments most just have token Sanitiser out etc its easy to see how they can be breeding grounds. It's just not worth it right now.

I’m sick to death of people trying to blame kids sport. Do you note how it’s adults socialising that’s the main issue here. Not sport. Shopping centres and pubs ARE NOT controlled environments. You are deluded if you think that. The whole of NSW NPL is still playing and have been for weeks. All the NPL players that have to quarantine now are not doing so because they play football they are having to do so because they went to the pub for hours!!!!

Adults socialising is killing the kids season of football, not the other way around.

Aegon
08-08-2020, 10:29 AM
I’m sick to death of people trying to blame kids sport. Do you note how it’s adults socialising that’s the main issue here. Not sport. Shopping centres and pubs ARE NOT controlled environments. You are deluded if you think that. The whole of NSW NPL is still playing and have been for weeks. All the NPL players that have to quarantine now are not doing so because they play football they are having to do so because they went to the pub for hours!!!!

Adults socialising is killing the kids season of football, not the other way around.

Completely agree, a lot of community transfer occurs through surfaces. Transmission through spectating and playing sport has been almost non existent.

Reds Forever
08-08-2020, 02:17 PM
Watched u13 MaitlandFC v Jaffa’s tonight real quality, Maitland have a real strong team so good to see another club ( other than the regulars) getting a strong u13 squad -they will be near the top of table from what I’ve seen! FYI maitland won 4-1 to stay undefeated

Jinxed them. Got smashed 9-0 today at home to Mid Coast.

Hunter403
09-08-2020, 06:47 PM
Jinxed them. Got smashed 9-0 today at home to Mid Coast.

And Jaffas knocked off Magic. Talk About inconsistent teams. Drive coaches mad!!

Beaver
18-08-2020, 08:55 PM
We wait to see what NNSW and EJets do with the new community sport order today , from my interpretation Coffs and Taree will no longer be able to compete in the NPL youth and Jets kids can not play in the Sydney NPL!
Interesting few days ahead

Aegon
18-08-2020, 09:18 PM
We wait to see what NNSW and EJets do with the new community sport order today , from my interpretation Coffs and Taree will no longer be able to compete in the NPL youth and Jets kids can not play in the Sydney NPL!

Yet tomorrow, anyone from Sydney could drive to those areas and have a beer with their mates in a pub or club there.
The rules make no sense.

Hunter403
18-08-2020, 09:53 PM

Slot the Jets back into the local comp instead of North Coast or Mid Nth Coast. No points to either side but he kids play.

Reds Forever
18-08-2020, 10:24 PM
The COVID-19 policies, which start Wednesday, forced NNSWF to remove North Coast and Mid Coast from the NPL youth, Mid Coast from the Women's Premier League, Northern Inland from Northern League One youth and Northern Inland and Mid Coast from SAP competitions.

NNSWF said no matches would be played against those teams while the policy was in place. However, no decision had been made on how games played against the sides, or those missed, would be treated

Reds Forever
18-08-2020, 10:27 PM
Bit in tomorrow Herald about it. Surely they can't make teams take draws against them for 6 weeks.

Pull them out for rest of year. All matches played against them become 3-0 wins. Invite Mariners and Jet in to take their place for friendly matches in lieu of a bye. Gives kids a chance to show their skills against Jets and their coaches.

Johnno
18-08-2020, 10:51 PM
Bit in tomorrow Herald about it. Surely they can't make teams take draws against them for 6 weeks.

Pull them out for rest of year. All matches played against them become 3-0 wins. Invite Mariners and Jet in to take their place for friendly matches in lieu of a bye. Gives kids a chance to show their skills against Jets and their coaches.

Mariners won’t be allowed they are deemed to be outside the region.

Barry Dawson
19-08-2020, 07:38 AM
Interesting will be what happens in Sydney and how the “regional” competition requirement is defined and practically implemented.
They don’t want Blacktown travelling to Manly etc.
How might this affect local “Interdistrict” football and more to the point of this thread, the Premier Competition equivalent - Inter-district NPL/WPL/NL1?
Could Maitland, Weston or Singleton be classed as being out of “Region” based on a model adopted in Sydney?

samcan
19-08-2020, 11:10 AM
The COVID-19 policies, which start Wednesday, forced NNSWF to remove North Coast and Mid Coast from the NPL youth, Mid Coast from the Women's Premier League, Northern Inland from Northern League One youth and Northern Inland and Mid Coast from SAP competitions.

NNSWF said no matches would be played against those teams while the policy was in place. However, no decision had been made on how games played against the sides, or those missed, would be treated

Avoiding Sydney i can understand but regional teams with no Covid cases cant play against each other?

KITZ
19-08-2020, 01:44 PM

I would like to know how its going to work, we have a postponed game from NCF, from the other weekend when they didn't come down, its not like they can just reschedule them during the week.

I'm not sure how they made clear cut guidance for wet weather not being replayed, but didn't consider if some teams might not play a week or two for covid related issues. should they play when wet weather games aren't being replayed? should they be draws? should the teams that didn't forfeit get the points? It would have been good to have this in place, instead of it now being a scramble and the youth having no idea if they can pick up the points later or what.

ForeverRed
19-08-2020, 05:51 PM
I would like to know how its going to work, we have a postponed game from NCF, from the other weekend when they didn't come down, its not like they can just reschedule them during the week.

I'm not sure how they made clear cut guidance for wet weather not being replayed, but didn't consider if some teams might not play a week or two for covid related issues. should they play when wet weather games aren't being replayed? should they be draws? should the teams that didn't forfeit get the points? It would have been good to have this in place, instead of it now being a scramble and the youth having no idea if they can pick up the points later or what.
I’m not sure if your questions really matter at this stage, people’s health are more important I think

BS detecor
19-08-2020, 06:41 PM
I’m not sure if your questions really matter at this stage, people’s health are more important I think

Give me a break. The inconsistent message of what is a high risk activity and what isn’t is laughable. As far as I know there has been zero cases transmitted through community sport and even a situation where an infectious kid played a game and didn’t transmit it to any other player on either team.
Perhaps the games should be transferred to the local Bunnings or bowling club for safety.

ForeverRed
19-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Give me a break. The inconsistent message of what is a high risk activity and what isn’t is laughable. As far as I know there has been zero cases transmitted through community sport and even a situation where an infectious kid played a game and didn’t transmit it to any other player on either team.
Perhaps the games should be transferred to the local Bunnings or bowling club for safety.

Just my opinion

Aegon
19-08-2020, 08:43 PM

Couldn’t agree more.

KITZ
20-08-2020, 07:59 AM
IÂ’m not sure if your questions really matter at this stage, peopleÂ’s health are more important I think

Considering this isn't a forum about COVID, but rather football, my questions are entirely relevant for this forum I would have thought.

They are questions the kids are actually interested in themselves. You know because they are invested in the sport.

What about the kids from the mid north coast, NI etc, that have just had their season ripped now from underneath them as a knee jerk reaction to something that hasn't even been an issue for them?

Don't get me wrong I was all on the better shut down path to be safe when it was affecting the whole population. But now an adult can go around 50 pubs on a weekend, get plastered, spread covid across half the state on a pub crawl, and the kids can't play sport or have a school graduation (mind you with kids in their own year who they attend school with every day!). If you aren't frustrated, then I don't think you are looking hard enough at the decisions that are being made lately.

I also seen a post from Football NSW that it looks like they can still play NPL as per normal this weekend?

Aegon
20-08-2020, 08:47 AM
Considering this isn't a forum about COVID, but rather football, my questions are entirely relevant for this forum I would have thought.

They are questions the kids are actually interested in themselves. You know because they are invested in the sport.

What about the kids from the mid north coast, NI etc, that have just had their season ripped now from underneath them as a knee jerk reaction to something that hasn't even been an issue for them?

Don't get me wrong I was all on the better shut down path to be safe when it was affecting the whole population. But now an adult can go around 50 pubs on a weekend, get plastered, spread covid across half the state on a pub crawl, and the kids can't play sport or have a school graduation (mind you with kids in their own year who they attend school with every day!). If you aren't frustrated, then I don't think you are looking hard enough at the decisions that are being made lately.

I also seen a post from Football NSW that it looks like they can still play NPL as per normal this weekend?

I feel for the kids from up the coast who are in effect being punished due to virus numbers in a city several hours south of them.

Transmission through sport has been non-existent, even the Jets youth player who contracted the virus wasn't actually contracted on the field, it was through off-field activities - Which are still not restricted.

samcan
20-08-2020, 02:02 PM
I feel for the kids from up the coast who are in effect being punished due to virus numbers in a city several hours south of them.

Transmission through sport has been non-existent, even the Jets youth player who contracted the virus wasn't actually contracted on the field, it was through off-field activities - Which are still not restricted.

agree here

The inconsistencies are high but this is in-part due to the rapid changes in occurrence and hastily implemented rules. We need to isolate quickly when needed and relax the rules as well. hard for everyone.

Maybe they can release these teams in 2-3 weeks when safety is again high.

BS detecor
20-08-2020, 03:31 PM
agree here

The inconsistencies are high but this is in-part due to the rapid changes in occurrence and hastily implemented rules. We need to isolate quickly when needed and relax the rules as well. hard for everyone.

Maybe they can release these teams in 2-3 weeks when safety is again high.

I don’t want to stray too far off topic but the talk today is because of the low numbers in NSW and the reduction of cases in Victoria, the deputy premier wants to relax border restrictions at the same time as they are ruining kids weekends by not allowing them to play the game they love.🤦*♂️🤷*♂️
(My final word on the subject)

Reds Forever
20-08-2020, 10:04 PM
Select Your Zone
COMPETITIONS
Home › Competitions › Mid Coast FC to continue in NNSWF Premier Competitions

Mid Coast FC to continue in NNSWF Premier Competitions
August 20th, 2020
Football Mid North Coast (Mid Coast FC) will continue to participate in the NPL NNSW Youth and Herald Women’s Premier League (WPL) in response to updated advice received from the NSW Chief Health Officer on the evening of Wednesday 19 August.

The updated advice for regional NSW requires existing competition structures to minimise the need for overnight travel and to avoid car-pooling or other shared transport arrangements.

Picture: Chris Simpson

The amended advice also acknowledged that it may be necessary to maintain existing arrangements in regional NSW with neighbouring associations or districts to ensure there are enough teams to participate in a competition.

NNSWF determined that it is reasonable to allow Mid Coast FC to continue competing on the basis that car-pooling or other shared transport arrangements were not required. The Mid North Coast’s proximity to the Hunter Region also prevented the need for overnight stays.

Mid Coast FC’s continued participation enables identified players to continue to compete in premier competitions aligned to NNSWF’s Talented Player Pathway.

Importantly, Mid Coast Council has confirmed that teams from the Hunter Region will be permitted to play on council facilities provided COVID-19 Safety Plans are strictly implemented.

Unfortunately, the updated advice did not facilitate the lifting of North Coast Football and Northern Inland Football’s temporary suspension from their respective competitions due principally to factors associated to remoteness from the Hunter Region. NNSWF is working closely with local administrators to identify suitable local participation opportunities for players impacted by the Chief Medical Officer’s advice.

NNSWF remains steadfastly committed to the health and safety of the football family and the broader community and will continue to abide by the advice of the NSW Government in relation to minimising the spread of Covid-19.

NNSWF is appreciative of the Chief Health Officer’s preparedness to consider the views of State Sporting Organisations following the release of the initial advice on Monday 17 August.

These items are of immediate effect. Mid Coast FC games will proceed this weekend.

Beaver
29-08-2020, 10:46 AM
Please don’t get me wrong I am all about the youth players getting good exposure to high level football and the competition table is relatively meaningless BUT it is their and I can’t understand the recent decision by NNSW ( who ever does?) that Coffs Harbour’s next 6 games (& the previous 2 of Rd1) are postponed and all games are given a 0-0 draw ! Yet the teams that HAVE played them their pts stand ! Not very fair !
The ‘competition’ is then not realistic , and the FNC teams automatically get 6/18 and that might not be great but is that fair to the teams who have played them and lost ? Just seems to be an unbalanced decision . I think all games revert back to 0-0 draw irrespective of result and allow FNC to go into a ‘playoff’ tyke wildcard scenario for finals ! Tough call but decision does not seem fair to me , be interested in the forums views ( only sane 1’s please )

Jim
29-08-2020, 10:57 AM
NC isnt a hotspot.

Following Covid protocol and maybe each player being tested should easily allow these teams to continue. knee jerk reaction from the govt to suggest nnsw do this

Reds Forever
29-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Completely agree. All games made 0-0. Let them play last few rounds as friendlies is they want a game.

Inconsistent decision making by NNSW as well. Northern Inland in League 1 and U12 SAP have been removed completely from comp and all matches 0-0. They are a lot closer then North Coast as well.

ForeverRed
29-08-2020, 08:37 PM
Government decisions, everyone’s doing their best, could be worst things to complain about

Goatscheese
02-09-2020, 11:14 PM
Mariners won’t be allowed they are deemed to be outside the region.

Mariners playing Edgeworth this weekend

JettyJet
03-09-2020, 10:16 AM

Dominated the Jets in 15's , 16's and 18's last weekend also.

KITZ
03-09-2020, 10:55 AM

How is that allowed, they are a completely different region. Does that not put the whole competition at risk, considering there were cases who travelled from Sydney to the coast recently? Same with the jets playing the mariners, the whole complaint was keeping them out of Sydney. but instead of doing that now we are inviting teams up here, yet north coast can't finish their season, that is really unfair.

Hunter403
03-09-2020, 09:00 PM

Didn't Olympic NPL Youth give the Jets youth teams a touch up as well a few weeks ago?

JettyJet
04-09-2020, 09:58 AM
Didn't Olympic NPL Youth give the Jets youth teams a touch up as well a few weeks ago?

I know of one age group that was

BS detecor
04-09-2020, 10:20 AM

Olympic won the 15s I believe but one would assume that is fair considering the team had been in lockdown for 2 weeks

ABCDEF
04-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Olympic won the 15s I believe but one would assume that is fair considering the team had been in lockdown for 2 weeks

Arnt the Jets the so called “best of their age”. Shouldn’t matter if they were in lockdown or not they should comfortably win. Perhaps the opinions of the Jets selectors isn’t as good as we all think...

BS detecor
04-09-2020, 06:15 PM
arnt the jets the so called “best of their age”. Shouldn’t matter if they were in lockdown or not they should comfortably win. Perhaps the opinions of the jets selectors isn’t as good as we all think...

😂😂😂😂😂😂ok

Goatscheese
04-09-2020, 07:16 PM
How is that allowed, they are a completely different region. Does that not put the whole competition at risk, considering there were cases who travelled from Sydney to the coast recently? Same with the jets playing the mariners, the whole complaint was keeping them out of Sydney. but instead of doing that now we are inviting teams up here, yet north coast can't finish their season, that is really unfair.

For the same reason Mid-North Coast are allowed to continue. They can travel separately and don't have to stay overnight.

Anyway none of this was banned, it was just a recommendation. Northern could've ignored the recommendation and allowed North Coast to continue playing

KITZ
04-09-2020, 07:34 PM
For the same reason Mid-North Coast are allowed to continue. They can travel separately and don't have to stay overnight.

Anyway none of this was banned, it was just a recommendation. Northern could've ignored the recommendation and allowed North Coast to continue playing

Did the plane fly right over your head when you missed the point? seriously.

Hunter403
05-09-2020, 07:58 AM
Arnt the Jets the so called “best of their age”. Shouldn’t matter if they were in lockdown or not they should comfortably win. Perhaps the opinions of the Jets selectors isn’t as good as we all think...

Jets selectors? No such thing. You NEVER see a Jets person at an NPL Youth game. Hell, they never watched other teams when they were in the comp. At best they have trialled 1 or 2 from whichever team topped the table.

Goatscheese
05-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Did the plane fly right over your head when you missed the point? seriously.

Did you have a point?

KITZ
05-09-2020, 11:26 AM
Did you have a point?

I’d already made it. There’s cases on the coast from Sydney. The risk to the kids in our NPL competition isn’t worth it to play a friendly against the Mariners. Let them play in their own region. After all the moaning about the jets going to Sydney it’s rubbish.

Goatscheese
05-09-2020, 07:15 PM
I’d already made it. There’s cases on the coast from Sydney. The risk to the kids in our NPL competition isn’t worth it to play a friendly against the Mariners. Let them play in their own region. After all the moaning about the jets going to Sydney it’s rubbish.

Oh right just your own moaning. I didn't miss your point then I just showed why your point was wrong.

YerMate
18-09-2020, 12:04 PM
I’ve managed to watch a lot of youth games over the past 2 years.
One of the best team's this year, I would have to say, and the most consistent is the Magic 14s this year.
They're the most entertaining team in the Comp, great passing game and never seem to panic under pressure. I know the coaches seem to be loud and vocal but, the kids in that team respond well and execute game plans by the looks of it and it shows the kids that they care about them.
I'm thinking of taking my kid there for a trial for next year, if they're open to it, I’ve spoken to some of the parents and they speak highly of the coaches, the kids absolutely love them as they're very passionate in developing their skills as players and they love their training sessions and the pair always have a backup plan if grounds are washed out, always different and very advanced training drills. That's what a coach is there for to make the kids enjoy it and develop them into better footballers. plus, they have promoted 3 players into the 15s squad in 2020 from the 13s team and have 3 to 4 every game on the bench.
So the coaches in my eyes are doing a great job by the looks of it.

The Magician
18-09-2020, 01:02 PM
One of the best team's this year, I would have to say, and the most consistent is the Magic 14s this year.
They're the most entertaining team in the Comp, great passing game and never seem to panic under pressure. I know the coaches seem to be loud and vocal but, the kids in that team respond well and execute game plans by the looks of it and it shows the kids that they care about them.
I'm thinking of taking my kid there for a trial for next year, if they're open to it, I’ve spoken to some of the parents and they speak highly of the coaches, the kids absolutely love them as they're very passionate in developing their skills as players and they love their training sessions and the pair always have a backup plan if grounds are washed out, always different and very advanced training drills. That's what a coach is there for to make the kids enjoy it and develop them into better footballers. plus, they have promoted 3 players into the 15s squad in 2020 from the 13s team and have 3 to 4 every game on the bench.

A player from the U15s played Reserve Grade on the weekend too.

KITZ
18-09-2020, 01:55 PM

Last time I watched a magic game the 13s coach made them run sprints after playing for 80 minutes until at least one of them was laying on the ground looking like he was going to lose his breakfast. This continued until the 14's came out onto the pitch for their game, I assume it was some sort of punishment because they only scored one goal against us in the second half. They definitely are good at making their kids "enjoy" football, although I don't think kids need to be "made" to enjoy football, its certainly easy to make them stop enjoying it though...

KITZ
18-09-2020, 01:58 PM
I never had a problem with the jets playing in Sydney. I was referring to the double standard..... those areas are either a problem, or they aren't....

YewYew
18-09-2020, 02:18 PM
I'm thinking of taking my kid there for a trial for next year, if they're open to it .

LOL:wtf: Sound like you already at Magic to me!!

Give yourself another pat on the back bro!!

early_to_the_match
18-09-2020, 05:00 PM

And it was a big rap for a team coming second and a goal difference of 40 less than team coming first.

YewYew
18-09-2020, 08:48 PM
And it was a big rap for a team coming second and a goal difference of 40 less than team coming first.

Big LOL!!!!

Magic coaches on hear trying 2 make themselves feel good. Haha haha

YerMate
19-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Big LOL!!!!

Magic coaches on hear trying 2 make themselves feel good. Haha haha

Lol, ain't no coach, wish I was.

YerMate
19-09-2020, 08:38 AM

Take that one kid out of Olymoic’s team and what do they have.
They've pumped the bottom teams and struggled to score against the top teams on the ladder. Because they can't knock the ball around.

Plus, rumours have it that 2 players from Olympic 14s team have racially abused a player in one of their last games.
If this is true there should be harsh penalties hand down. NO ROOM FOR RACISM in the game.

YerMate
19-09-2020, 08:42 AM
A player from the U15s played Reserve Grade on the weekend too.

Really, must be good. Keep up the good work

YerMate
19-09-2020, 08:44 AM

No, but that's where my son wants to play.

YerMate
19-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Last time I watched a magic game the 13s coach made them run sprints after playing for 80 minutes until at least one of them was laying on the ground looking like he was going to lose his breakfast. This continued until the 14's came out onto the pitch for their game, I assume it was some sort of punishment because they only scored one goal against us in the second half. They definitely are good at making their kids "enjoy" football, although I don't think kids need to be "made" to enjoy football, its certainly easy to make them stop enjoying it though...

What game was that, for a coach to make the team do sprints after a game, Don't be ridiculous.

You said kids don't need to be made to enjoy it. Well sorry, they do, if they don't enjoy it that's why kids want to change clubs or they don't like the coaching style where their at so, yes they do have to enjoy it. 🤔 That's a pretty stupid statement, if you have a coach that's useless and always being repetitive in their session and is coaching out of a textbook, kids tend to lose interest and stop enjoying it and want to leave. So, if you're doing new things all the time that keeps the kids learning and wanting more.
That's the type of enjoyment I'm talking about.
Kids need to be taught, old school football.

KITZ
19-09-2020, 01:36 PM
What game was that, for a coach to make the team do sprints after a game, Don't be ridiculous.

You said kids don't need to be made to enjoy it. Well sorry, they do, if they don't enjoy it that's why kids want to change clubs or they don't like the coaching style where their at so, yes they do have to enjoy it. �� That's a pretty stupid statement, if you have a coach that's useless and always being repetitive in their session and is coaching out of a textbook, kids tend to lose interest and stop enjoying it and want to leave. So, if you're doing new things all the time that keeps the kids learning and wanting more.
That's the type of enjoyment I'm talking about.
Kids need to be taught, old school football.

I was there, they were playing against my kids team. We were all watching from the sideline, even the parents of said kids in the team who said "he mustn't have been happy with something they were doing."

All of the clubs have their positives and negatives, but you can't make a post like that and NOT expect people to share alternate viewpoints.

Also, get used to the name calling, the Maitland team song includes calling the other team "sh*t" repeatably when they win. sounds terrible from a bunch of 12 year olds, but theres lots of rubbish going on around different teams that happens, poor winners, poor losers. Unless the clubs teach different behaviours, thats what you are going to get.

Makes me think you haven't been around all that much really.

If I had to "make" my teenager want to train or turn up, no matter how good or bad the training is, then what's the point. Success and enjoyment need to be intrinsic, you aren't always going to have a coach you really like, or a training plan that suits you. Your kid could go to magic and go "well crap this isn't what I was expecting." would you go, ok well you can just quit then? this isn't kick around the park on a Sunday afternoon.

BS detecor
19-09-2020, 06:58 PM

Apparently the jets went to the coast with full strength squads today

Reds Forever
19-09-2020, 08:21 PM
Which Coast? Central, Mid or North?

BS detecor
19-09-2020, 09:34 PM
Which Coast? Central, Mid or North?

I believe central was the coast and the word dominated was used to describe the days events

Negative Police
04-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Magic 13s keeper on ground with Ambulance and splint on arm. Whats the latest on him. Didnt see the incident. Speedy recovery

Hunter403
05-10-2020, 09:26 AM
Massively lop sided results in all ages except 16s again over the weekend. 4 clubs seem to stand out and the rest are just making up the numbers

Captain_Carl
05-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Massively lop sided results in all ages except 16s again over the weekend. 4 clubs seem to stand out and the rest are just making up the numbers

Yeah mate because winning the $2.50 medallion for being U13 champions is what youth football is all about right? What a ridiculous comment you make! Some people (parents) who chase youth glory might be attracted to these 4 ‘stand out’ clubs but isn’t development of the individual player more important? Do you think an individual player will necessarily develop better by being in a winning team? I would argue that they will learn more by having to overcome adversity. At least one of these amazing clubs you mention have a policy of not playing kids up an age while many of the clubs not in these 4 you refer to do indeed promote youth players. You are really missing the point of youth NPL if you think winning is the name of the game.

Aegon
05-10-2020, 03:11 PM
Yeah mate because winning the $2.50 medallion for being U13 champions is what youth football is all about right? What a ridiculous comment you make! Some people (parents) who chase youth glory might be attracted to these 4 ‘stand out’ clubs but isn’t development of the individual player more important? Do you think an individual player will necessarily develop better by being in a winning team? I would argue that they will learn more by having to overcome adversity. At least one of these amazing clubs you mention have a policy of not playing kids up an age while many of the clubs not in these 4 you refer to do indeed promote youth players. You are really missing the point of youth NPL if you think winning is the name of the game.

I think you are over reacting a touch.

Hunter403
05-10-2020, 03:27 PM

Carl, you clearly misunderstand what I am saying.

I am trying to highlight the imbalance. At no time did I say anything about winning being the "name of the game". I am disappointed and saddened by the lop sided results and I coach in that competition.

I agree that overcoming adversity can be character building and educational, but I doubt the educational benefits from winning or losing by 10 or 12 in a game of by 5 or more week after week.

Players will develop better if the competition is close. Going out knowing you are in for a thrashing won't help development. Teams winning by 10 or losing by 10 learn little.

The main point I am trying to make (and I should have written more for clarity) is that the imbalance is hurting development. I am lamenting the fact that 4 clubs dominate and will coax away any kid of ability from a "weaker" club if they can. Watch the end of season merry go round this year as the 4 big clubs pillage their way through the ranks of the weaker ones.

finzee
05-10-2020, 04:37 PM
Clown is having a cry because kids cant play up. haha.

There some players that clearly cant handle this level and they let their team down. Can clearly see a few. They love the haircut and club kit but cant deliver and chances are never will. Development is important but so is having the best kids to try and make the comp more competitive for more clubs.

If we cant fill the comp with competitive teams then its time to cut some. Those teams with 3 or 4 top quality kids will combine with others.

Reds Forever
05-10-2020, 06:16 PM
You fool. Suits you now to preach development over results. 10 weeks ago you were crowing all over Facebook and here when Valo u13 were coming first. Calling Olympic v Valo as Grand final preview.

Now that valo are 8th you claim it's all about development over results. Make up your mind.

Captain_Carl
05-10-2020, 06:24 PM
You fool. Suits you now to preach development over results. 10 weeks ago you were crowing all over Facebook and here when Valo u13 were coming first. Calling Olympic v Valo as Grand final preview.

Now that valo are 8th you claim it's all about development over results. Make up your mind.
They were headed for good things but their coach that was sacked slowly destroyed them. The new coach is trying to undo the damage caused. Winning is great but if that is a person’s sole driver then the point is being missed. Hey, it’s a beautiful day!

Captain_Carl
05-10-2020, 06:26 PM
The comment I am reacting to is that the other 8 teams who are not in that top 4 are just making up the numbers. That is just not true.

Hunter403
05-10-2020, 07:37 PM
The comment I am reacting to is that the other 8 teams who are not in that top 4 are just making up the numbers. That is just not true.

Isn't it? Do you believe that the weaker teams are improving? The results would suggest otherwise. Development is what matters most and the results are probably the best indicator of improvement (and I do agree with you about who cares who wins the under 13s). The scores would seem to indicate that there is minimal development in those weaker squads.

I believe a method is needed to even up the teams to maximise development. The imbalance is detrimental to improvement.

Maybe something like only allowing each club to release a maximum number of players each season.

I hope others may have some solutions for discussion.

Captain_Carl
05-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Isn't it? Do you believe that the weaker teams are improving? The results would suggest otherwise. Development is what matters most and the results are probably the best indicator of improvement (and I do agree with you about who cares who wins the under 13s). The scores would seem to indicate that there is minimal development in those weaker squads.

I believe a method is needed to even up the teams to maximise development. The imbalance is detrimental to improvement.

Maybe something like only allowing each club to release a maximum number of players each season.

I hope others may have some solutions for discussion.

We are only talking about under 13s at the moment and it is a very close competition right down to 8th spot. I wouldn’t think any cause for alarm bells about a weak competition unless you look at the teams below that.

finzee
05-10-2020, 08:45 PM
Kids should be getting in 110% from 13s on. If you want a nice cushy development drop a grade or 2.

Maybe have promotion and relegation in 2 or 3 youth divisions like they do in Sydney.

Hunter403
05-10-2020, 09:00 PM
We are only talking about under 13s at the moment and it is a very close competition right down to 8th spot. I wouldn’t think any cause for alarm bells about a weak competition unless you look at the teams below that.

I was talking about all ages. Take a look at the 15's comp. 3rd year of development and the gap is huge.

Captain_Carl
05-10-2020, 09:16 PM
I was talking about all ages. Take a look at the 15's comp. 3rd year of development and the gap is huge.
Yes I agree with that. Let’s be specific and not make general statements. I am copping enough criticism already for being an active supporter. I am a friendly fellow really.

Hunter403
05-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Yes I agree with that. Let’s be specific and not make general statements. I am copping enough criticism already for being an active supporter. I am a friendly fellow really.

yep and I will chat with you with courtesy and respect.

Goatscheese
05-10-2020, 09:54 PM
Also, get used to the name calling, the Maitland team song includes calling the other team "sh*t" repeatably when they win. sounds terrible from a bunch of 12 year olds, but theres lots of rubbish going on around different teams that happens, poor winners, poor losers. Unless the clubs teach different behaviours, thats what you are going to get.

There is name calling and then there is calling players slanty eyes, niggers and faggots, all of which have been reported to Northern from different club in all three of their competitions in different age groups this year.

Goatscheese
05-10-2020, 09:57 PM
Maybe have promotion and relegation in 2 or 3 youth divisions like they do in Sydney.

If they aren't going to do it for clubs this is the next best thing they should be aiming for. That would require work from Northern though.

Captain_Carl
05-10-2020, 10:42 PM
If they aren't going to do it for clubs this is the next best thing they should be aiming for. That would require work from Northern though.

Go Valo!
Jeepers creepers yeah!
Hey it’s a beautiful day!
Go the Phoenix!

KITZ
06-10-2020, 08:17 AM
Carl, you clearly misunderstand what I am saying.

I am trying to highlight the imbalance. At no time did I say anything about winning being the "name of the game". I am disappointed and saddened by the lop sided results and I coach in that competition.

I agree that overcoming adversity can be character building and educational, but I doubt the educational benefits from winning or losing by 10 or 12 in a game of by 5 or more week after week.

Players will develop better if the competition is close. Going out knowing you are in for a thrashing won't help development. Teams winning by 10 or losing by 10 learn little.

The main point I am trying to make (and I should have written more for clarity) is that the imbalance is hurting development. I am lamenting the fact that 4 clubs dominate and will coax away any kid of ability from a "weaker" club if they can. Watch the end of season merry go round this year as the 4 big clubs pillage their way through the ranks of the weaker ones.

That team you were talking about that loses 10 nil also beat newfm teams at the top of their ladder by double digits in trials. It’s not as simple as they dont deserve to be there.

Stop looking at the scoreboard. They lost ten nil but they have some decent kids. Those decent ones will get carried through and be allowed to play up and will probably make first grade before any of the kids in the top teams bar a select one or two.

You probably didn’t know their keeper played right up to 15s against edgy over the weekend and also did last week against Olympic both the toughest teams in the comp. He gets the most work out of the competition and the most development, he isn’t feeling demoralised, he just keeps working hard week in and week out.

Yes and the jets pillaged the 14s from Olympic until they didn’t have subs. Some kids have their football goals as playing for certain clubs. Some just want to make first grade. some want to play in the a league or go overseas, so they will move when the time is right.

If the kids parents in the top four are worried they aren’t working hard enough they can always trial in Sydney. Or go overseas. Taking the bottom of the table out means less teams to play and not more development, with your logic I think SAP should move back to the old system too. Just take out all opportunity.

And in all honesty some of those teams in the top play out so sloppy from the back they should be using the extra game time to do it right every time!! They certainly aren’t perfect in their game play either, especially in the 13s.

BS detecor
06-10-2020, 08:53 AM

Has been that way forever. Every now and then a dark horse pokes their head up for 5 minutes before normal service is resumed. I wonder when northern will go the way they have in Sydney and split the comp after round 1 so the weaker teams play each other and the stronger teams play each other for more competitive games.

KITZ
06-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Has been that way forever. Every now and then a dark horse pokes their head up for 5 minutes before normal service is resumed. I wonder when northern will go the way they have in Sydney and split the comp after round 1 so the weaker teams play each other and the stronger teams play each other for more competitive games.

Theres 12 teams. What would be the point. The way you've said it valo would have been up the top, since that's where they were at the start of the season, that's not where they are now though as teams have developed and caught up.

Its also worth noting that many of those top teams in the younger ages you are talking about are only retaining half a dozen players from their teams, which means they already have a good idea that they want to look at some other kids, maybe from those teams that everyone thinks don't deserve to be there.

It can't be all its made out to be up the top of the ladder, otherwise why would those teams not be retaining entire squads?

Hunter403
06-10-2020, 02:47 PM
That team you were talking about that loses 10 nil also beat newfm teams at the top of their ladder by double digits in trials. It’s not as simple as they dont deserve to be there.

Stop looking at the scoreboard. They lost ten nil but they have some decent kids. Those decent ones will get carried through and be allowed to play up and will probably make first grade before any of the kids in the top teams bar a select one or two.

You probably didn’t know their keeper played right up to 15s against edgy over the weekend and also did last week against Olympic both the toughest teams in the comp. He gets the most work out of the competition and the most development, he isn’t feeling demoralised, he just keeps working hard week in and week out.

Yes and the jets pillaged the 14s from Olympic until they didn’t have subs. Some kids have their football goals as playing for certain clubs. Some just want to make first grade. some want to play in the a league or go overseas, so they will move when the time is right.

If the kids parents in the top four are worried they aren’t working hard enough they can always trial in Sydney. Or go overseas. Taking the bottom of the table out means less teams to play and not more development, with your logic I think SAP should move back to the old system too. Just take out all opportunity.

And in all honesty some of those teams in the top play out so sloppy from the back they should be using the extra game time to do it right every time!! They certainly aren’t perfect in their game play either, especially in the 13s.

Ok, firstly Kitz, I was not talking about any team or age specifically. I mentioned no club or team. I used the numbers I used for demonstrating a point and they do noit refer to any specific result. I have no ideas what team you are talking about nor will I look up the draw to establish who it is you are talking about. There were multiple results in the vicinity of the numbers I used. It is unimportant to the point I am trying to make.

Secondly, the scoreboard (amongst other things) has to be looked at. Who won or who lost is irrelevant, but what is relevant is that we are 2/3 of the way through the season and the imbalance is as bad as it was in round 1. The scoreboard can be used as a guide to measure improvement. Are we seeing improvement? In some, yes, but overall????

What we are seeing is that the best players from the lower placed clubs are already being targeted by the higher placed clubs. To paraphrase Midnight Oil, "the rich get richer.."

I have no agenda here beyond asking if anyone has ideas to help address the imbalance and improve the competition. I firmly believe that the stronger the whole competion is, the closer the results we get then the more improvement we will get. You appear to agree as you suggest heading to Sydney for tougher competition (ie greater improvement). Why can't we get that tougher competition here?? How do we get that tougher competition here??

I think SAP is great concept. The trick next will be to find a way for, say a NEWFM club, not to lose a kid to an NPL club while still in SAP, or to stop a strong NPL club from recruiting a good player from a weaker NPL club. SAP is, for the moment, the best way forward.

At no time did I suggest, or will I suggest, removing the bottom half of the table. We must improve the bottom half of the table. Please, don't suggest things that I have not said as being my thoughts. Consequently, your quip about my logic around SAP is founded on your baseless thought that I have suggested removing the bottom half of the table. Wrong. I have re-read what I wrote and can't see how you got that from my post.

In your response to BS detecor you said "It can't be all its made out to be up the top of the ladder, otherwise why would those teams not be retaining entire squads?" The answer to that is pretty obvious. Those clubs have decieded to strengthen their teams further by bringing in kids from outside. Now, maybe in the 13s they will come from outside the NPL club or its SAP program itself, but in the 14s, 15s and 16s it is more than likely that the new players coming in will be from other NPL clubs, How do I know this? It is exactly what is occurring at the club where I coach.