PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Womens World Cup - Australia and New Zealand Hosting

boz-monaut
26-06-2020, 07:34 AM
tournament discussion goes here

we didn't get didded by UEFA voting for Colombia to host, the jerks

belchardo
26-06-2020, 11:56 AM
I love the video ffa put out showing the reaction. You can see them all sitting there thinking "shut the hell up infantino. Just tell us the bloody winner"

belchardo
26-06-2020, 12:13 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/26/disrespectful-australia-disappointed-by-english-snub-in-womens-world-cup-bid

Seems like a dumb response.

The correct answer to that question was: "we would have liked their votes, but we understand it's a democracy and thank them for their consideration of our bid".

If you wanted to add some sass, you add "we look forward to helping to assess the prospective english 2030 mens world cup bid"

Bremsstrahlung
20-07-2023, 08:14 PM
Kerr out is a shame. She must be gutted.

Girls playing well so far. Don’t look too overawed or hesitant.
Pitch looks slippery.

q-money
21-07-2023, 11:24 AM
can we sign katie mccabe? pure destruction

Jeterpool
21-07-2023, 02:03 PM
can we sign katie mccabe? pure destruction

How good is she!

The Dunster
25-07-2023, 05:32 PM
Are the games only subscription / pay tv ?
Nothing on 7plus app other than Matildas replay.

Another fail for Australia to promote the game.

Macca
26-07-2023, 07:12 AM
Are the games only subscription / pay tv ?
Nothing on 7plus app other than Matildas replay.

Another fail for Australia to promote the game.

Yep I got caught by the same thing. I think its all on Optus sport.

Bremsstrahlung
26-07-2023, 07:27 AM
Yep I got caught by the same thing. I think its all on Optus sport.

Ditto.
Definitely all on Optus Sport, have been watching a few on there. (Old man’s with Optus and they’ve never charged him for it).

I also assumed it was all going to be on FTA. Assuming it’s FIFA that do the rights and broadcast deals though and Football Australia have very little sway.
Would’ve been a good move to even have a prime time 7pm type game on FTA. The 10am-3pm games would be pretty slim numbers watching I’d assume. But think a prime time game would be good. And of course R16 onwards

Jetmaster
26-07-2023, 01:19 PM
Optus won the rights two years ago so there has been ample notice. The FTAs were not prepared to go for the exclusive rights (one of the prices of equality), including ABC and SBS. It doesn't come under anti siphoning if nobody else is prepared to bid.
The ladies WC is now a standalone package and as such FIFA has put a standalone price on it. Will be curious as to what final viewing figures are. It hasn't really grabbed my attention yet.

margie
26-07-2023, 01:20 PM
Check 7 tonight, apparently they have added more games due to demand

The Dunster
26-07-2023, 05:31 PM
Well at least the kids from lower socioeconomic backgrounds will learn early that egalitarianism is well and truly dead in this country.

Bremsstrahlung
31-07-2023, 09:43 PM
Performing very well tonight.
Looking miles better with Ford on the flank and Fowler through the middle.
Full of energy and hard work in the middle with Gorry and Cooney-Cross.
Tasso and Carpenter delivering what we thought they could do

Jeterpool
01-08-2023, 07:18 AM
Agree. We played to our strengths tonight by not having the ball and hitting Canada on the transition.

The lack of substitutions was baffling last night. By 3-0 we were comfortable. Why continue to risk Foord, Gorry, Cooney-Cross, Catley? Why have a squad of 23 if you're only going to use 15 of them across the tournament. I wonder if the High Performance team were telling Gustavsson to make changes or not...

Positive - we did it without risking Kerr.

Bremsstrahlung
01-08-2023, 09:20 AM
Was thinking the same thing.
First had the thought at about 60 minutes. B
Then at 70, I was definitely on board. At 80, I’m wondering wtf is going on.
Especially Ford already on a yellow. She was a whisker away from a yellow on a few occasions, pulled out at exactly the right time. Heart was in my mouth watching her fly in.

I guess the team on the pitch looked pretty in control. We’re rarely troubled. If we rested some key players too soon, we could’ve lost control. But surely you trust your squad to do a job.
Even Grant when she came on, probably got concussed and sprinted around the pitch for 4 minutes.

Catley is playing well too. Her and Cooney Cross are underated in their workload.

The one doubt I have is our defence being slow. Catley and Carpenter give great athleticism on the side. But Kennedy I thought got found out against Nigeria. And Polkinghorne coming on late in games gives me anything but assurance.

All that aside, I really enjoy watching this team play. I’m not sure what it is, but they seem to be building towards something.
You could argue we are in our golden generation at the moment with a lot playing overseas in top competitions for top clubs. Real Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal, Lyon. Pretty impressive and great for the women’s game. I daresay this generation of Matildas is inspiring many many young girls to pursue this. there was some footage in the tunnel pre game, and all the players in shot were talking to their little mascot/ball kid person.

Bremsstrahlung
04-08-2023, 06:05 AM
Some pretty big nations gone…

Germany (2), Canada (7), Brazil (8), China (14) in a tough group and Italy (16) all out from the top 16.

South Africa (54) through after scoring a single goal. Morocco (72) through as the second lowest ranked team at the tournament, Jamaica (43), Nigeria (40) all through to final 16.

Group H the biggest shock with Morocco (72) and Colombia (25) through over Germany (2) and South Korea (17).

Round of 16
Switzerland (20) vs Spain (6)
Japan (11) vs Norway (12)
Netherlands (9) vs South Africa (54)
Sweden (3) vs USA (1)
England (4) vs Nigeria (40)
Australia (10) vs Denmark (13)
Colombia (25) vs Jamaica (43)
France (5) vs Morocco (72)

USA Vs Sweden could arguably be a Final. Shame one will go home.
Aus/Den play winner of Fra/Mor

Jeterpool
04-08-2023, 09:24 AM
The whole tournament has opened up.

Scary thing is how some of the bigger nations started finding their groove on MD3 like England, 2nd string France, even Australia.

Japan are the sneaky pick for me

Macca
04-08-2023, 09:52 AM
The whole tournament has opened up.

Scary thing is how some of the bigger nations started finding their groove on MD3 like England, 2nd string France, even Australia.

Japan are the sneaky pick for me

Japan's counter attacking against Spain was lethal.

Bremsstrahlung
06-08-2023, 09:48 PM
So apparently as at July 1 2023, keepers are no longer allowed to move across their line, touch the crossbar or netting or delay the kicker.

I’m all for the no longer delaying kicker and even not moving crossbar, but I don’t like that they have to stay still.

Edit:.talking about penalties.

Bremsstrahlung
07-08-2023, 08:27 PM
Hereeeee we go!

Bremsstrahlung
07-08-2023, 08:28 PM
Also, maybe we didn’t do too badly V Nigeria. England struggled and only looked the better team when they went down to 10. Professionalism coming through in the end.

Bremsstrahlung
07-08-2023, 09:02 PM
Fowler brilliant. A few times her and Rasso have shielded the ball importantly coming out of danger and drawn a foul or found a pass.

Ball to Foord was perfect. Composed finish. Hard not to get excited for this team.

belchardo
07-08-2023, 09:13 PM
very sweet ball from Fowler. Do you think she can come show either the male or female Jets teams how to do that?

belchardo
07-08-2023, 10:00 PM
That goal looked like it was gone about 6 times in that play. Good calmness by van egmond.

Bremsstrahlung
07-08-2023, 10:02 PM
Cous would be proud. Great composure and awareness to tee it up for Rasso. EVE has been great.

Bremsstrahlung
07-08-2023, 10:04 PM
Would be great if we could get our players sitting on a yellow off soon.

Foord hasn’t pulled out of any tackles. Scares me at this point.

Bremsstrahlung
12-08-2023, 04:49 PM
Think France will be too good.
But I’d be so pleased to be wrong. They didn’t get out of second gear last game. Had the game wrapped up halfway through first half.
Our defence will be tested this game.

Hoping for the best! Let’s go!

Bremsstrahlung
12-08-2023, 05:23 PM
Kennedy with an average start.

France happy to let us have the ball and shoot ourselves.
We look better in their half….

belchardo
12-08-2023, 08:07 PM
I mean. Fark me. What a roller-coaster.

Bremsstrahlung
12-08-2023, 08:16 PM
I don’t think I’ve seen a shoot out like that before.
My goodness.

Well done to them!

baldrick
12-08-2023, 08:25 PM
Jaysus.

Bremsstrahlung
12-08-2023, 09:41 PM
I was thinking, I wonder how many girls will be running around on the weekend with black gloves to be like Mary Fowler.

Love seeing the genuine happiness all of them are experiencing.

boz-monaut
17-08-2023, 08:24 AM
so the Mariners have given over their training base and facilities to the Lionesses, in exchange for money

The Lionesses were welcomed by the local community

The Lionesses beat the Matildas

at what point is it appropriate to talk about the Mariners being hung for treason?

Jeterpool
17-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Probably about now