PDA

View Full Version : 2021 NPL Youth Thread

Pages : [1] 2

boz-monaut
01-01-2021, 08:59 AM
discussion here

Captain_Carl
07-01-2021, 01:09 PM
I am looking forward to watch some preseason trials. If anyone knows of any can you list them below? Thanks Newcastle.

Captain_Carl
07-02-2021, 09:41 PM
discussion here

Today it was Edgeworth vs Broadmeadow

U13 Edgy 4-3
U14 Edgy 4-1
U15 Edgy 3-0
U16 Edgy 4-0

Jeepers creepers yeah!

KITZ
28-02-2021, 04:01 PM
Anyone got any positive NPL youth news, thats not going to come across as creepy?

Captain_Carl
01-03-2021, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=KITZ;245332]Anyone got any positive NPL youth news, thats not going to come across as creepy?[/QU

Yesterday it was Edgeworth vs CC Mariners

U13 CCM 5-0
U14 CCM 3-1
U15 CCM 9-1
U16 CCM 3-2

Jeepers creepers yeah!

Take it easy
02-03-2021, 10:06 AM
From all reports Maitland’s youth NPL gave Valentine a touch up over the weekends trial games. Especially in the 13s and 14s

JettyJet
02-03-2021, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=KITZ;245332]Anyone got any positive NPL youth news, thats not going to come across as creepy?[/QU

Yesterday it was Edgeworth vs CC Mariners

U13 CCM 5-0
U14 CCM 3-1
U15 CCM 9-1
U16 CCM 3-2

Jeepers creepers yeah!

U13 CCM 5-0
U14 CCM 3-1
U15 CCM 9-1
U16 CCM 4-2

onlooker
02-03-2021, 11:01 AM
From all reports Maitland’s youth NPL gave Valentine a touch up over the weekends trial games. Especially in the 13s and 14s

From memory it was
13’s 10-1
14’s 7-0
15’s 2-0
16’s 4-1

Take it easy
02-03-2021, 11:52 AM
From memory it was
13’s 10-1
14’s 7-0
15’s 2-0
16’s 4-1

Yeah looks close I’d say the 13s would have been higher, I didn’t see it all from the start but they looked pretty slick for a 13s team.

KITZ
02-03-2021, 01:42 PM
Yeah looks close I’d say the 13s would have been higher, I didn’t see it all from the start but they looked pretty slick for a 13s team.

Might be the last of the old HV SAP program coming though, depending on how many of them they took.

Looks like it might be a bit of a different comp for the 14's this year, will be interesting to see how the season shapes up, probably the same up around the top 4, but then a bit different through the rest of the ladder. I'm looking forward to seeing what the season brings.

onlooker
02-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Yeah they are I get the pleasure of seeing them train on a regular basis having the same training nights as them, and they do look good just at training. Unfortunately didn’t see them play at all as I only saw the back end of the 15’s and all the 16’s. So only going off what I remember seeing on the scoreboard.

Take it easy
05-03-2021, 12:51 AM
Yeah they are I get the pleasure of seeing them train on a regular basis having the same training nights as them, and they do look good just at training. Unfortunately didn’t see them play at all as I only saw the back end of the 15’s and all the 16’s. So only going off what I remember seeing on the scoreboard.

Where did they pull the team from ?

Captain_Carl
10-03-2021, 07:55 AM
Youth season kicks off this weekend and for everyone’s benefit I am going to tell you which teams in each age group will finish in the top 4 at the end of the season. Note, they are in alphabetical order not rank order:

U13s - Broadmeadow, Edgeworth, Lambton, Maitland
U14s - Edgeworth, Maitland, Mid Coast, Newcastle
U15s - Edgeworth, Maitland, Newcastle, Valentine
U16s - Edgeworth, Lambton, Maitland, Newcastle

You might find a couple of these predictions surprising but nobody understands youth football like me and when you look at this post at the end of the season you will find my accuracy to be upwards of 80%. Before anyone criticises me about what an arrogant moron I am put your money where your mouth is and let’s see your predictions.

Retired01
10-03-2021, 08:54 AM
Youth season kicks off this weekend and for everyone’s benefit I am going to tell you which teams in each age group will finish in the top 4 at the end of the season. Note, they are in alphabetical order not rank order:

You might find a couple of these predictions surprising but nobody understands youth football like me and when you look at this post at the end of the season you will find my accuracy to be upwards of 80%. Before anyone criticises me about what an arrogant moron I am put your money where your mouth is and let’s see your predictions.

I love the post and confidence but am very surprised about the Edgeworth 13s. Rumour has it they had to make places for sponsors kids

Aegon
10-03-2021, 09:34 AM
U13s - Magic, Jaffa's, Maitland, Olympic
U14s - Magic, MNC, Olympic, Rosebuds
U15s - Azzurri, Magic, Olympic, Rosebuds
U16s - Edgy, Magic, Jaffa's, Olympic

Is it definitely still top 4 this year?

Take it easy
10-03-2021, 09:36 AM
Has there been many preseason trials this year? I’ve only seen a few results posted

KITZ
10-03-2021, 11:52 AM

Id drop Adamstown out of 14s and 15's possibly put Maitland or Edgeworth there in 14's (but I'd like to see how their new keepers perform though). Our last trial game against them in the 15s they fielded half a team of 16's and still only won by 2 goals. would appear they don't have kids that are good enough to push up into the next age group and its pretty poor form fielding players an age down especially for a trial game. for a team we lost to by a bit of a margin last year in the 13s, we beat Adamstown in preseason trials this year. Theres always a bit of change between 13's and 14s so other than olympic, MNC, Edgeworth who will field almost the same team I'm expecting to see some changes happening across that age group.

@Retired01 - that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Goatscheese
10-03-2021, 12:27 PM

Not sure why you are claiming Edgeworth top across three grades

Their 14s only finished 6th last year, not many changes. Certainly not enough to now make them better than Mid Coast which only lost one game all year and Olympic only losing 2. You're off your rocker.

15s Edgeworth well they should make top 4 again, Magic developed their players well and so they went to Jets so they will drop but Olympic will easily finish top

Only Premier you have correct is Edgeworth 16s

Goatscheese
10-03-2021, 12:29 PM

Swap MidNorth and Olympic on top and and Magic to 3rd or 4th in 14s and you will be right

How has Azzurri changed enough to finish top in 15s?

You'd be right for 16s

Goatscheese
10-03-2021, 12:33 PM
If I am going to tell people they are wrong I may as well put my predictions in (and some of you are)

13s - Lambton, Broadmeadow, Edgeworth, Charlestown
14s - Mid Coast, Olympic, Maitland, Adamstown (I wouldn't have Adamstown so high but since most of them didn't end up going to Jaffas they will still do alright)
15s - Olympic, Maitland, Edgeworth, Broadmeadow
16s- Edgeworth, Lambton, Olympic, Broadmeadow

Goatscheese
10-03-2021, 12:34 PM
I love the post and confidence but am very surprised about the Edgeworth 13s. Rumour has it they had to make places for sponsors kids

I heard that as well but those players are good so probably would've made it anyway. I heard that those kids got put in the team's leadership group to please the sponsors.

Hunter403
10-03-2021, 01:06 PM
I heard that as well but those players are good so probably would've made it anyway. I heard that those kids got put in the team's leadership group to please the sponsors.

Under 13s have a leadership group?

Hurricane
10-03-2021, 01:47 PM
Not sure why you are claiming Edgeworth top across three grades

Their 14s only finished 6th last year, not many changes. Certainly not enough to now make them better than Mid Coast which only lost one game all year and Olympic only losing 2. You're off your rocker.

15s Edgeworth well they should make top 4 again, Magic developed their players well and so they went to Jets so they will drop but Olympic will easily finish top

Only Premier you have correct is Edgeworth 16s

If you read his post he does say that his top for is in ALPHABETICAL order

Captain_Carl
10-03-2021, 02:18 PM

I am not sure of the politics there but they did defeat the highly fancied Magic team in a preseason trial.

Captain_Carl
10-03-2021, 02:20 PM
There can always be a surprise packet and no doubt we probably will get a surprise or two ... or three if we revise these posts at season’s end.

Captain_Carl
10-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Edgeworth 14s preseason results:
3-1 loss against Mariners (quite respectable)
4-1 win against Magic (last year’s grand finalists)
2-1 win against Central Coast United (play in Sydney NPL)
Another 3-1 loss against Mariners (quite respectable again).

Time will tell if I am off my rocker.

Eastwest
10-03-2021, 02:54 PM

yeah thats a bit precious but if it works everyone will be on it.

ForeverRed
10-03-2021, 02:59 PM
Wow, predictions for junior football, please, let’s just hope each child improves and becomes a better person for the experience without mum and dad checking scores and tables, some people just don’t get it

BS detecor
10-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Lakes and valo to struggle in all 4 grades

Aegon
10-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Wow, predictions for junior football, please, let’s just hope each child improves and becomes a better person for the experience without mum and dad checking scores and tables, some people just don’t get it

People aren’t allowed to follow or be invested in the top tier of youth football in the hunter but it’s ok for you to be passionate about a second tier senior team in the same region?

That makes sense......

Aegon
10-03-2021, 03:22 PM
Swap MidNorth and Olympic on top and and Magic to 3rd or 4th in 14s and you will be right

How has Azzurri changed enough to finish top in 15s?

You'd be right for 16s

No particular order - just top 4.

I thought I did alphabetical order but in hindsight J comes before M :rof:

sapdad
10-03-2021, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know of the career path of Connor Metcalfe who is currently playing for Melb City?He keeps getting referred to as a former Cardiff South player did he get picked out from their youth or was there something else.Theres never any mentions on if he was in Jets youth.

sideline88
10-03-2021, 03:56 PM
Does anyone know of the career path of Connor Metcalfe who is currently playing for Melb City?He keeps getting referred to as a former Cardiff South player did he get picked out from their youth or was there something else.Theres never any mentions on if he was in Jets youth.

he played for NNSW up till 11-12 then family moved to Melbourne for work, i remember reading a FTBL article about him a couple of years back

sapdad
10-03-2021, 04:00 PM
he played for NNSW up till 11-12 then family moved to Melbourne for work, i remember reading a FTBL article about him a couple of years back

cheers.good to see him doing well.

Captain_Carl
10-03-2021, 10:16 PM
Lakes and valo to struggle in all 4 grades

Valo 13s and 15s will do better than you expect.

Take it easy
10-03-2021, 10:40 PM
Valo 13s and 15s will do better than you expect.

I saw the 13s play the second half against Maitland, lots of work to do. I know it was only a trial but the stopped keeping score at 10-1

Captain_Carl
11-03-2021, 04:07 AM
I saw the 13s play the second half against Maitland, lots of work to do. I know it was only a trial but the stopped keeping score at 10-1

That’s right but I also saw Valo 13s defeat Jaffas in a preseason trial and they are a team I have picked to finish top 4.

Take it easy
11-03-2021, 08:02 AM
That’s right but I also saw Valo 13s defeat Jaffas in a preseason trial and they are a team I have picked to finish top 4.

Good luck to the boys, hopefully it is a close competition this year all round.

Goatscheese
11-03-2021, 03:52 PM

I think you will find most u13s in NPL will have at least Captain and Vice Captain

KITZ
13-03-2021, 04:58 PM
Nope. Lakes 14s have won all of their trial games against NPL teams. Valo maybe. But lakes in a couple of age groups will be different.

KITZ
13-03-2021, 05:02 PM

This isn’t the SAP forums. Lol. Considering wins is how people seem to value youth NPL clubs there’s really no other way around it. If you don’t improve results or have kids getting into the jets etc there’s not much else to measure it by unfortunately.

Aegon
13-03-2021, 05:32 PM
What was up with Macquarie Park this week? all games canceled, surely the fields weren’t that wet.

Captain_Carl
13-03-2021, 09:21 PM
What was up with Macquarie Park this week? all games canceled, surely the fields weren’t that wet.

I was told unofficially that the tractor mower leaked oil all over the ground making it unplayable.

Captain_Carl
13-03-2021, 09:25 PM

You tipped Rosebuds in 14s and 15s but not Edgeworth.

Today’s results: U14 Edgy 7 Buds 0, U15 Edgy 9 Buds 1

Good luck Aegon! 😂

Jim
13-03-2021, 10:17 PM
Edgy 13s just walked it in today. will be up there.

Wonder how North Coast enjoyed their trip? Playing Weston at Speers Point then told to hot to play. The magic wet bulb went over 26.

Did they get on at all?

Take it easy
14-03-2021, 03:04 PM

Good luck Aegon! 😂

Plus Magic 6-1 over the jaffas wasn’t the ideal start for your top 4

ForeverRed
14-03-2021, 04:01 PM

Good luck Aegon! 😂

Proves he knows nothing

Aegon
14-03-2021, 04:21 PM
Proves he knows nothing

:blah:

Goatscheese
29-03-2021, 08:48 PM
Some interesting results from this weekend.

Surprising to see Olympic only manage one win against Edgeworth, would've expected the 13s and 14s to also have won

19-0 for Lambton in the 13s, going to be a long year for North Coast consdiering that Jaffas went down 6-1 to Magic

KITZ
30-03-2021, 10:13 AM

Surprising to see Olympic only manage one win against Edgeworth, would've expected the 13s and 14s to also have won

19-0 for Lambton in the 13s, going to be a long year for North Coast consdiering that Jaffas went down 6-1 to Magic

Poor kids. that's a rough start. I don't think covid last year helped, no travelling for gala days. No state champs. The new SAP keeping kids local and not travelling.

Aegon
30-03-2021, 11:34 AM
Poor kids. that's a rough start. I don't think covid last year helped, no travelling for gala days. No state champs. The new SAP keeping kids local and not travelling.

Wouldn't this years 12's still have been part of the association SAP in 2020? Or did North Coast not compete?

Take it easy
30-03-2021, 02:34 PM

Charlestown 7-1 over Lake Mac after going down 6-2 to Maitland

Looking like a lopsided competition

Hunter403
30-03-2021, 10:09 PM

It has been lopsided for years. No easy answer. Playing for your "local" club seems the easiest. Over beers with mates on the weekend, we came up with a point system for NPL/NL1 youth:
1 point if a kid lives within 5km of home ground
2 points if between 5 and 15km of ground
3 points if over 15km of ground.
Dispensations available for remote clubs (i.e., not in greater Newcastle/Lake Macquarie. Dispensations available for family history with a club.
Clubs can spend 20 points per team.
NNSW appoint a commissioner to be final arbitrator.

Call Northern League 1 NPL2 and roll both youth comps into a promotion / relegation system based on club championship system
Senior clubs can't fill youth teams, then back to ZL and give ZL teams a crack.
Comps to be based on the number of actual clubs fielding teams (no multi byes like this year)

Discuss

Captain_Carl
30-03-2021, 10:50 PM
It has been lopsided for years. No easy answer. Playing for your "local" club seems the easiest. Over beers with mates on the weekend, we came up with a point system for NPL/NL1 youth:
Dispensations available for remote clubs (i.e., not in greater Newcastle/Lake Macquarie. Dispensations available for family history with a club.

Call Northern League 1 NPL2 and roll both youth comps into a promotion / relegation system based on club championship system
Comps to be based on the number of actual clubs fielding teams (no multi byes like this year)

Discuss
I agree there should be a separation from seniors and youth.
I agree in a club championship format.
I agree in promotion and relegation.
I believe there should be 8 clubs in NPL 1 and 8 clubs in NPL 2 to play each other 3 times over the season.
I would really question if North Coast should remain a part of the youth comp.
I like the idea of a points system but not sure if it would be feasible.

Bremsstrahlung
31-03-2021, 06:03 AM
Like the intention. I like the idea of spreading talent but I think it sacrifices individual development for a logistically even competition (but will still be lopsided imo).
Who are we to stop kids/parents seeking the best development for their kids.
Not all players are equal and not all clubs are equal in terms of what they offer. I don’t think we can stop young Johnny going to play for Floraville Philanthropists because they have griffo coaching and have the best training facilities.
As parents, I’d be interested to know if you’d be happy to have your child play for the “local” club that finished last and doesn’t have much interest in youth, or to a well renowned club with good coaching and facilities.

Sadly, I think the days of loyalty are gone.
This is supposed to be an elite competition. It’s a representative team essentially.
Clubs that offer a good program will flourish.
Agree to separate youth from seniors. Not sure a strict promotion relegation should be in place though (eg 1 up 1 down). Clubs relying on kids that are 12-16 to keep their club in top division etc can lead poor treatment. I’d rather NNSW look at poorly performing clubs and make those decisions in consultation. Or separate into geographical or “ability” pools so there’s no “NPL Youth 1/2”. And play like the NBA Eg 2 games vs same pool, 1 game vs teams outside of your pool.

Take it easy
31-03-2021, 07:11 AM
Like the intention. I like the idea of spreading talent but I think it sacrifices individual development for a logistically even competition (but will still be lopsided imo).
Not all players are equal and not all clubs are equal in terms of what they offer. I don’t think we can stop young Johnny going to play for Floraville Philanthropists because they have griffo coaching and have the best training facilities.
As parents, I’d be interested to know if you’d be happy to have your child play for the “local” club that finished last and doesn’t have much interest in youth, or to a well renowned club with good coaching and facilities.

This is supposed to be an elite competition. It’s a representative team essentially.
Agree to separate youth from seniors. Not sure a strict promotion relegation should be in place though (eg 1 up 1 down). Clubs relying on kids that are 12-16 to keep their club in top division etc can lead poor treatment. I’d rather NNSW look at poorly performing clubs and make those decisions in consultation. Or separate into geographical or “ability” pools so there’s no “NPL Youth 1/2”. And play like the NBA Eg 2 games vs same pool, 1 game vs teams outside of your pool.

I have to agree, I know parents that drive straight past other clubs purely because they want their children to develop but also enjoy their football. Culture at some clubs in the junior system especially JDL is extremely poor and NPL isn’t much better. To some clubs it’s the top down approach and by the time you get to the younger age groups it’s pretty ordinary,

sapdad
31-03-2021, 09:09 AM
Players owe their local club just as much loyalty as the club has shown them.Generally in life any sense of entitlement is never a good thing.

Aegon
31-03-2021, 11:39 AM

Discuss

In theory a 5km diameter would ensure nearly all of Newcastle and Lake Macquarie are covered. Kids from Swansea, Port Stephens, Greater Maitland & Cessnock areas etc would need dispensation of some variety though.

With a squad of 16 you could have 2 players from outside 15km or 4 players from 5-15km distance.

My own child would fall within the 5-15km distance rule at his club and with the 5km rule in place he would only have 1 NPL club to choose from.

This may be an advantage or disadvantage for the inner city clubs. More players to choose from, however more clubs fighting for the same players.

Personally I don't have any major objections to it.

I would just prefer decoupling Youth from Seniors completely. Complete youth squads should only be a requirement for entry to NPL.

2 divisions of youth with promotion/relegation based on youth club championship.

I said it in a different thread I think but this would also allow greater flexibility for pro/rel between Northern League & Zone League in seniors.

Hunter403
31-03-2021, 09:01 PM

Two things:
1. Promotion and relegation does not reflect from seniors to youth. Theoretically Olympic could win First grade and their youth gets relegated.
2 Griff, Griffo, Lord Griff etc ALWAYS has a capital. You should be ashamed of yourself for such a failing.

I think the "lesser" clubs of the NL1 would see this as a great way to grow thier club. My exerince has been that NL1 clubs treat thier kids better than NPL clubs. I think NL1 clubs would seek out good coaches.

Bremsstrahlung
01-04-2021, 08:28 AM
Two things:
1. Promotion and relegation does not reflect from seniors to youth. Theoretically Olympic could win First grade and their youth gets relegated.
2 Griff, Griffo, Lord Griff etc ALWAYS has a capital. You should be ashamed of yourself for such a failing.

I think the "lesser" clubs of the NL1 would see this as a great way to grow thier club. My exerince has been that NL1 clubs treat thier kids better than NPL clubs. I think NL1 clubs would seek out good coaches.

Apologies to Lord Griff. I’m gonna scapegoat phone reply as the reason haha.

Understand it’s separate to seniors, I just am right on the fence about how I feel about strict promotion/relegation for 12-16 year old unpaid players.
I’m concerned about the ramifications for clubs if they have a weak 16s, and promising 13-15s, the effect on those “promising teams and players” who want to be in the top division.

Could be maybe on board with non weighted club championship.
Or an unofficial promotion/relegation where we trust (lol) NNSW to look at clubs performance and if there’s say 1,2 or 3 clubs at the bottom of top division not performing, and 2 outstanding teams in division 2, relegate 2 and promote 2.

Not a problem with your proposal, but I just can’t get my head around having a promotion/relegation system in youth football when we haven’t had a serious ongoing pro/rel system in NPL seniors for over a decade. The reasons they gave to give clubs stability and allow them to focus on development of players, systems and facilities. I think that approach is much better suited to youth football and save the promotion/relegation for the paid semi-professional clubs in NPL and NL1 to battle it out and deal with the pressure.

Even if you do similar to SAP and the term NPL youth encompasses the broader competition and break it up into smaller groups based on something.
My fear is that clubs will just end up as a big merry go round year to year.

And the other side of me thinks that we are already talking about no scores/points. At some point, we need to change to developing winning mentality.

sapdad
01-04-2021, 12:32 PM
And the other side of me thinks that we are already talking about no scores/points. At some point, we need to change to developing winning mentality.

Its a point thats been gone over since day one on here but NNSW have set the age that scores matter to 13.Whether we agree or not,the point is that thats where the Federation has put it so thats what we are all working towards.Of course the lines are blurred in the years before that,but 13 is the age, so 13 it is.

football_macigian23
01-04-2021, 01:53 PM
Apologies to Lord Griff. IÂ’m gonna scapegoat phone reply as the reason haha.

Understand itÂ’s separate to seniors, I just am right on the fence about how I feel about strict promotion/relegation for 12-16 year old unpaid players.
I’m concerned about the ramifications for clubs if they have a weak 16s, and promising 13-15s, the effect on those “promising teams and players” who want to be in the top division.

Could be maybe on board with non weighted club championship.
Or an unofficial promotion/relegation where we trust (lol) NNSW to look at clubs performance and if thereÂ’s say 1,2 or 3 clubs at the bottom of top division not performing, and 2 outstanding teams in division 2, relegate 2 and promote 2.

Not a problem with your proposal, but I just canÂ’t get my head around having a promotion/relegation system in youth football when we havenÂ’t had a serious ongoing pro/rel system in NPL seniors for over a decade. The reasons they gave to give clubs stability and allow them to focus on development of players, systems and facilities. I think that approach is much better suited to youth football and save the promotion/relegation for the paid semi-professional clubs in NPL and NL1 to battle it out and deal with the pressure.

Even if you do similar to SAP and the term NPL youth encompasses the broader competition and break it up into smaller groups based on something.
My fear is that clubs will just end up as a big merry go round year to year.

Football NSW have de-coupled their youth and senior promotion/relegation based on a club championship

Youth promotion/relegation is non-weighted (every point gained through the season is x1) and U13 don't count towards championship points, only U14-U18 count

Goatscheese
01-04-2021, 09:22 PM
Charlestown 7-1 over Lake Mac after going down 6-2 to Maitland

That is 13s?

Goatscheese
01-04-2021, 09:22 PM
Wouldn't this years 12's still have been part of the association SAP in 2020? Or did North Coast not compete?

Thus year's 12s are but last year's 12s weren't able to travel for real competition

Goatscheese
01-04-2021, 09:29 PM

Goes both ways I don't see clubs being loyal to players either

Goatscheese
01-04-2021, 09:33 PM

What a ridiculous idea, some NPL and NewFM clubs have players from Central Coast teams, why should those players be punished?

Oh and sorry kids from Nelson Bay we can only take some of you no matter how good you are because you live 60km from the nearest ground

Hunter403
01-04-2021, 10:11 PM
What a ridiculous idea, some NPL and NewFM clubs have players from Central Coast teams, why should those players be punished?

Oh and sorry kids from Nelson Bay we can only take some of you no matter how good you are because you live 60km from the nearest ground

Did you miss the word 'dispensation'?
You have any ideas?

Take it easy
02-04-2021, 12:45 AM
That is 13s?

Yes

BS detecor
02-04-2021, 01:24 PM
You have any ideas?

Yes, stop trying to make everything equal because in football as in life, the most ambitious will always be the strongest.
We used to have pro/rel from under 9’s in community football in the 80’s. Now all of a sudden it’s too much pressure on the poor little cherubs and they wonder why we can’t produce any players these days. It’s our fault, not theirs

Goatscheese
02-04-2021, 01:37 PM
You have any ideas?

You said dispensation for remote clubs, I'm talking about players.

I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve.

The Postman
02-04-2021, 08:04 PM
Easiest solution, stop pretending clubs in NewFM actually matter and drop the Youth teams from that division. Better yet, fold the entire comp and those clubs join the Zone League system.

Some of the talented kids will go the NPL route strengthening that completion overall, the rest go back into the Inter-district completions back to their local clubs.

Zico
02-04-2021, 08:04 PM
A points system for youth is one of the craziest things I’ve ever heard.
The points system in seniors doesn’t work and I feel it’s a restriction of trade also.
Allow the ambitious clubs grow and the clubs stuck in a rut to choose to go backwards to rebuild or enjoy success.
I’m over this nanny state rubbish that everybody deserves to be equal.
The best run clubs deserve to be the best and not have some political correct, moaning dogooder holding them back.

Goatscheese
03-04-2021, 10:53 PM
Easiest solution, stop pretending clubs in NewFM actually matter and drop the Youth teams from that division. Better yet, fold the entire comp and those clubs join the Zone League system.

Some of the talented kids will go the NPL route strengthening that completion overall, the rest go back into the Inter-district completions back to their local clubs.

This is a worse idea than the youth points system and evident of someone who doesn't understand youth football or with any objective to try and improve the depth of quality

The Postman
04-04-2021, 06:32 AM
Tell that to Wallsend 13s = 0-16 and 0-8 to start the season. Or Singleton and Toronto 15s, oh wait they couldn’t fill a team. I’m sure those scores are doing wonders for their development. Toronto and Singleton both have A-Grade 15s this year as well btw, Singleton have a D-Grade team also, so it’s not the lack of players, what else could it be?

There is simply not enough quality kids in these age groups to go around. You have 11 NewFM teams, and 9 NPL teams in Newcastle/Hunter Valley, that is 300 “Premier” players in each age group. Not a chance! Couple that with the just about double the cost of Rego to play NewFM.

That’s why some clubs in NewFM haven’t been able to fill all their Youth teams since their introduction and why there is always balloon score lines.

Johnno
04-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Tell that to Wallsend 13s = 0-16 and 0-8 to start the season. Or Singleton and Toronto 15s, oh wait they couldn’t fill a team. I’m sure those scores are doing wonders for their development. Toronto and Singleton both have A-Grade 15s this year as well btw, Singleton have a D-Grade team also, so it’s not the lack of players, what else could it be?

There is simply not enough quality kids in these age groups to go around. You have 11 NewFM teams, and 9 NPL teams in Newcastle/Hunter Valley, that is 300 “Premier” players in each age group. Not a chance! Couple that with the just about double the cost of Rego to play NewFM.

That’s why some clubs in NewFM haven’t been able to fill all their Youth teams since their introduction and why there is always balloon score lines.

Your comments are 100% correct Postman. There is not enough quality players to fill all those teams across back to back youth age groups. I still believe one of the main reasons the youth competition was established was to raise money for Northern and take it away from the Zones and their inter district competition. All this has caused is inflated egos for parents again claiming their kid is playing New FM or worse A grade in inter district when the standard is comparable to D grade or below.

Bremsstrahlung
04-04-2021, 08:35 AM
8 team NPL1 and NPL2 with promotion/relegation for seniors - 21 game season with home and away finals. Senior clubs must field NPL Youth teams to keep NPL license. 3rd Tier competition has no compulsory youth requirements (maybe linked into inter district competition). I think 16 clubs of youth is enough with talent available at this point.

NPL Youth pooled together in a 16 team competition. Separate into Pool A and Pool B based on results/previous years results and player retention as assessed by clubs and NNSW.
Pools play teams in their pool twice and teams from other pool once. 22 game season with pool finals.
Could add mid coast and north into a 8 team pool a and 10 team pool b or
Vice versa.
I think keeping NPL youth under one banner helps development of players as clubs, teams and players have reduced burden of “promotion” “relegation” terms impacting development. We essentially See a merry go round of players across all clubs with promotion/relegation. (Eg if Adamstown got relegated and cooks hill are promoted, a lot of Adamstown players will be picked up by other clubs, cooks hill would aim to improve some positions and Adamstown will recruit in lesser league or finge first graders from other NPL teams) so the players actually playing first grade NPL don’t change much year to year, their colour do.
Clubs and players may feel more inclined to stick with their teams for their NPL Youth journey.

Another option with the all in Youth set up, is to separate Pools A and B across age groups.
I think keeping exposure with Pool A and Pool B teams playing eachother helps provide another assessment when it comes to the following years assessment if a team matches it or if they are outplayed, and also give players a taste of playing better teams/different tactics (? Long balls haha) without having to endure 15-0 scorelines.

Goatscheese
04-04-2021, 10:07 PM
Tell that to Wallsend 13s = 0-16 and 0-8 to start the season. Or Singleton and Toronto 15s, oh wait they couldn’t fill a team. I’m sure those scores are doing wonders for their development. Toronto and Singleton both have A-Grade 15s this year as well btw, Singleton have a D-Grade team also, so it’s not the lack of players, what else could it be?.

And what about the players in the competitive 5 teams in each age group? Sending them back to community isn't going to help them at all.

The Toronto 15s in A grade should be the Toronto NewFM side they won it last year and scored over 100 goals and conceded a handful. Got to look into why those kids don't want to go into the competition they should be in.

Goatscheese
04-04-2021, 10:10 PM
8 team NPL1 and NPL2 with promotion/relegation for seniors - 21 game season with home and away finals. Senior clubs must field NPL Youth teams to keep NPL license. 3rd Tier competition has no compulsory youth requirements (maybe linked into inter district competition). I think 16 clubs of youth is enough with talent available at this point.

NPL Youth pooled together in a 16 team competition. Separate into Pool A and Pool B based on results/previous years results and player retention as assessed by clubs and NNSW.
Pools play teams in their pool twice and teams from other pool once. 22 game season with pool finals.
Could add mid coast and north into a 8 team pool a and 10 team pool b or
Vice versa.
I think keeping NPL youth under one banner helps development of players as clubs, teams and players have reduced burden of “promotion” “relegation” terms impacting development. We essentially See a merry go round of players across all clubs with promotion/relegation. (Eg if Adamstown got relegated and cooks hill are promoted, a lot of Adamstown players will be picked up by other clubs, cooks hill would aim to improve some positions and Adamstown will recruit in lesser league or finge first graders from other NPL teams) so the players actually playing first grade NPL don’t change much year to year, their colour do.
Clubs and players may feel more inclined to stick with their teams for their NPL Youth journey.

Another option with the all in Youth set up, is to separate Pools A and B across age groups.
I think keeping exposure with Pool A and Pool B teams playing eachother helps provide another assessment when it comes to the following years assessment if a team matches it or if they are outplayed, and also give players a taste of playing better teams/different tactics (? Long balls haha) without having to endure 15-0 scorelines.

This is probably better combining youth, and keeps players within a decent competition (we've seen blow out scores in YNPL as well), without forcing kids on the edge of NPL to community and never seen again as some people proposed.

Johnno
04-04-2021, 10:27 PM
And what about the players in the competitive 5 teams in each age group? Sending them back to community isn't going to help them at all.

The Toronto 15s in A grade should be the Toronto NewFM side they won it last year and scored over 100 goals and conceded a handful. Got to look into why those kids don't want to go into the competition they should be in.

Great for their development :sigh:

GashArmy
05-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Great for their development :sigh:

Even greater when people are running these junior clubs and telling the kids to not go and play at these seniors clubs??

Questions need to be asked if they are associated with the senior club they should be playing for them

GO AWAY
05-04-2021, 01:53 PM

Because not through lack of trying, the juniors won’t join forces with the seniors at least till fill the youth teams, trust me, those 15s were recognised and countless times the senior club tried to get those 15s to come to trials. Seniors have put out olive branches but juniors aren’t playing, which is sad, talented kids like TORONTO 15s should be playing against better opposition, but from last year, the seniors gave a season pass entry to EVERY registered junior at Toronto, only to find out the majority of them were not handed out. Unfortunately, some of the junior committee members that have beefs with previous senior committees can’t get over it and move on for the good of the kids.

GashArmy
05-04-2021, 02:34 PM
Because not through lack of trying, the juniors won’t join forces with the seniors at least till fill the youth teams, trust me, those 15s were recognised and countless times the senior club tried to get those 15s to come to trials. Seniors have put out olive branches but juniors aren’t playing, which is sad, talented kids like TORONTO 15s should be playing against better opposition, but from last year, the seniors gave a season pass entry to EVERY registered junior at Toronto, only to find out the majority of them were not handed out. Unfortunately, some of the junior committee members that have beefs with previous senior committees can’t get over it and move on for the good of the kids.

What a shame! Great coach out there now surely they can see the good?

Barry Dawson
05-04-2021, 02:55 PM
Community football and Premier football are not just different - they are poles apart.

The first exist to provide kids of all abilities to play football and often kids won’t leave those ranks because all they want is to play with friends. These kids might play with the same team members from MiniRoos right way to 18’s.

The latter, is highly competitive, will ditch players and bring in new every year and can cost 5 times more to play etc. It’s not for everyone.

Having had feet in both camps, these underlying reason for existence is why so many senior and junior clubs are no longer connected.

Goatscheese
05-04-2021, 08:41 PM

That's a shame, see it too often across the city with juniors and seniors not getting on and getting in the way. Too many people on power trips.

Just curious did you approach the coach and players directly or did you go through the club?

Goatscheese
05-04-2021, 08:44 PM
Community football and Premier football are not just different - they are poles apart.

The first exist to provide kids of all abilities to play football and often kids won’t leave those ranks because all they want is to play with friends. These kids might play with the same team members from MiniRoos right way to 18’s.

The latter, is highly competitive, will ditch players and bring in new every year and can cost 5 times more to play etc. It’s not for everyone.

Having had feet in both camps, these underlying reason for existence is why so many senior and junior clubs are no longer connected.

I've also found that committee members don't want the two clubs to work together, seen seniors been precious over "their field", seen juniors spread lies about the senior club to stop poaching, and seen people on both sides continually work against the other club and fight it. It is possible for a club to run both, see Cooks Hill and New Lambton, but it is unfortunate that all these clubs are split across the region

Onyatoes
06-04-2021, 11:01 PM

Some of the talented kids will go the NPL route strengthening that completion overall, the rest go back into the Inter-district completions back to their local clubs. And leave the current 10 insolvent little operations to represent Northern? They have less relevance than Tassie already. It's benign little minds like yours that created this snooze fest. Unless you provide a viable promotion and relegation process in at least 2 Divisions (probably 3), the mediocre quality will increase. Some (not all), second tier and third tier clubs are run by smart people, unless they are given something to aspire to they won't spend the money or forecast to spend money to get up. On the flipside, we will get clubs who sit on their hands and exist rather than grow. So many good kids exit NPL year on year to play All Age. It is going nowhere.

Bleachers
07-04-2021, 08:14 AM
Oi, Onyatoes. Stop talking sense. Otherwise an NPL or HIT label will get taken off these clubs and they will then have to charge their juniors a reasonable rego and have their teams graded according to their actual skill. Instead of some of these poor lads having to fork $1k++ to go out and get drubbed, with them only learning how to become disillusioned with the game.

KITZ
07-04-2021, 10:59 AM
And leave the current 10 insolvent little operations to represent Northern? They have less relevance than Tassie already. It's benign little minds like yours that created this snooze fest. Unless you provide a viable promotion and relegation process in at least 2 Divisions (probably 3), the mediocre quality will increase. Some (not all), second tier and third tier clubs are run by smart people, unless they are given something to aspire to they won't spend the money or forecast to spend money to get up. On the flipside, we will get clubs who sit on their hands and exist rather than grow. So many good kids exit NPL year on year to play All Age. It is going nowhere.

If you don't understand that theres limited room in first grade and kids are always going to exit then I think you don't understand much about football. There is never going to be enough room for all of the kids that come through every year, otherwise what? kids play one year in first grade / res / 18's and move on to make room for the next years kids.

No, you have to be equal or better to what's already there, or what's coming through next (or what's coming down from the a-league academies). If you sail through NPL and don't have these discussions with your kids from the get go, you are setting them up to fail. They need to know that they have to be competitive, they have to be aiming to play up a year or two and be able to compete with the older kids from the get go, because once you hit 18's thats what's going to happen, you then have to be able to compete with the players already there.

It is highly competitive, because at some stage you start being paid to play and then its about being the best at the job - not just good. No different to job interviews where theres 100 applications for 1 role. Its bloody hard, but so is getting the job you want these days - verses the job thats available and easy to get into.

Jim
07-04-2021, 07:32 PM
So many good kids exit NPL year on year to play All Age. It is going nowhere.
And AA has never been so good.

We need a 2 tier youth system and not be scared to have npl1 clubs in the top division. Chances are theyll migrate anyway

Johnno
07-04-2021, 10:24 PM
If you don't understand that theres limited room in first grade and kids are always going to exit then I think you don't understand much about football. There is never going to be enough room for all of the kids that come through every year, otherwise what? kids play one year in first grade / res / 18's and move on to make room for the next years kids.

No, you have to be equal or better to what's already there, or what's coming through next (or what's coming down from the a-league academies). If you sail through NPL and don't have these discussions with your kids from the get go, you are setting them up to fail. They need to know that they have to be competitive, they have to be aiming to play up a year or two and be able to compete with the older kids from the get go, because once you hit 18's thats what's going to happen, you then have to be able to compete with the players already there.

It is highly competitive, because at some stage you start being paid to play and then its about being the best at the job - not just good. No different to job interviews where theres 100 applications for 1 role. Its bloody hard, but so is getting the job you want these days - verses the job thats available and easy to get into.
So true Kitz so many people on here thinking players at their club are going to make it to the big time when in reality your summation is so correct. Less than 20% across all NPL youth teams at a club will play first grade on a regular basis less than 5% will make higher honours and shock horror less than 1% will play professional football on a regular basis. But keep forking out your $1000+ a year to keep the dream alive or keep the current first grade squad happy.

Ghost of Plague
08-04-2021, 08:34 AM
So true Kitz so many people on here thinking players at their club are going to make it to the big time when in reality your summation is so correct. Less than 20% across all NPL youth teams at a club will play first grade on a regular basis less than 5% will make higher honours and shock horror less than 1% will play professional football on a regular basis. But keep forking out your $1000+ a year to keep the dream alive or keep the current first grade squad happy.

Again with this shit?
So don't learn to play guitar as you'll never be in a famous band, don't learn to cook because you'll never own a restaurant and don't learn to swim because you'll never win gold at the Olympics?
What crap.

Some kids just love football, some kids love representing their club and communities.
Some parents just want a happy healthy environment for their kids where they learn way more than just kicking a ball and meet people who have some goals in life.

If youre too poor to afford it or your kid didn't make it im sorry. Maybe just leave the ****ing kids alone who just want a bit more out of life.

While we are the subject of made up stats, id argue less than 1% of parents walk around crowing how their kid is gonna play in the Prem. How bout leaving the 99% alone to enjoy their kids having a go at something.

Miserable pricks.

Hurricane
08-04-2021, 09:54 AM
Again with this shit?
So don't learn to play guitar as you'll never be in a famous band, don't learn to cook because you'll never own a restaurant and don't learn to swim because you'll never win gold at the Olympics?
What crap.

Some kids just love football, some kids love representing their club and communities.
Some parents just want a happy healthy environment for their kids where they learn way more than just kicking a ball and meet people who have some goals in life.

If youre too poor to afford it or your kid didn't make it im sorry. Maybe just leave the ****ing kids alone who just want a bit more out of life.

While we are the subject of made up stats, id argue less than 1% of parents walk around crowing how their kid is gonna play in the Prem. How bout leaving the 99% alone to enjoy their kids having a go at something.

Miserable pricks.

Great post 👏👏👏

Take it easy
08-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Again with this shit?
What crap.

Miserable pricks.

Well Said. 👏👏👏

Texas Ranger
08-04-2021, 11:23 AM
Again with this shit?
What crap.

Miserable pricks.

👍👍👍😁

BS detecor
08-04-2021, 11:39 AM
Again with this shit?
What crap.

Miserable pricks.

Spot on👍

Dontknowmuch
08-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Again with this shit?
What crap.

Miserable pricks.

This is fair comment but it doesn't have to cost over a $1000 to 'have a go at something'. Like it or not football are losing kids to the game purely based on costs, its a sport it shouldn't have to be that expensive that you have to decide whether you can afford it or not for your kids to play at the highest level. Senior amateur player wages are slowly killing the 'elite stream football' and we as a nation will continually get globally worse until something is done. The elite kids in every state federation in Australia maybe top 50 or 100 kids should be the ones that are getting free registration not the 20 to 30 year old NPL 1st graders that just piss all their cash up the wall on a end of season trip. We have it all wrong.

Jim
08-04-2021, 12:08 PM
This is fair comment but it doesn't have to cost over a $1000 to 'have a go at something'. Like it or not football are losing kids to the game purely based on costs, its a sport it shouldn't have to be that expensive that you have to decide whether you can afford it or not for your kids to play at the highest level. Senior amateur player wages are slowly killing the 'elite stream football' and we as a nation will continually get globally worse until something is done. The elite kids in every state federation in Australia maybe top 50 or 100 kids should be the ones that are getting free registration not the 20 to 30 year old NPL 1st graders that just piss all their cash up the wall on a end of season trip. We have it all wrong.

Interesting thought. So if the best seniors in town dont get offered much will they give it away? no chance, theyll find other motivations. However, clubs will always try to outbid each other for these players. $$$ is still king.

sapdad
08-04-2021, 12:18 PM
This is fair comment but it doesn't have to cost over a $1000 to 'have a go at something'.

I'll jump in here.Your point about regos overall is fair but it doesnt cost $1000 to have a go playing football.You can do it cheaper any manner of ways.Its been discussed before but for 30 odd weeks of 3 sessions (2 x training and 1 x game) it works out to be cheaper than most other sports out there. Add in these kids play and train with higher level facilities and coaches and add in any gear and its not as expensive as it seems.Plus, many parents can easily put a value on their kids dedicating themselves to something and the life lessons that come along with it.My son is in his 4th year of SAP/JDL and needs to decide if he wants to chase an NPL spot next year.If he doesnt then I wont consider one cent or one second of the last 4 years as a waste.You can just enjoy the journey rather than worry about the ending.

Dontknowmuch
08-04-2021, 01:24 PM
I'll jump in here.Your point about regos overall is fair but it doesnt cost $1000 to have a go playing football.You can do it cheaper any manner of ways.Its been discussed before but for 30 odd weeks of 3 sessions (2 x training and 1 x game) it works out to be cheaper than most other sports out there. Add in these kids play and train with higher level facilities and coaches and add in any gear and its not as expensive as it seems.Plus, many parents can easily put a value on their kids dedicating themselves to something and the life lessons that come along with it.My son is in his 4th year of SAP/JDL and needs to decide if he wants to chase an NPL spot next year.If he doesnt then I wont consider one cent or one second of the last 4 years as a waste.You can just enjoy the journey rather than worry about the ending.

Sort of missing the point, i agree when you go down to an hourly rate the NPL/JDL kids are are doing well in comparison to maybe dancing and the like, but AFL, Cricket , League, Union, basketball are much cheaper options and particularly AFL are getting more and more kids for this reason. And i'm not saying its a waste of time and money if you do pay for it for a period of time and they give up, any investement that see your kid developing and enjoying life is a good one. Any team sport will help all kids in one way or another. What if you had 4 kids in the JDL system would it change your mind? Anyone paying over max $700 is purely paying money to the club that is spent on everything else other than your child's development.

If your paying $1000 there is at least $300 that is going to paying for Senior Wages. JDL kids 75, Youth and 18's another 75. So thats roughly 150 kids at $300 = $45k which is conservative because I know some clubs are charging well over $1500 rego in those cases the take would be in excess of $100k ravaged from parents that makes no difference to their kids development. Charge the same money and put that back into facilities/training that will help these kids be the best they can be and many will stay loyal and not ask for money to play 1st grade for them. Putting money into 1st graders pockets is killing the game, the senior players will still play.

Take it easy
08-04-2021, 02:02 PM
Sort of missing the point, i agree when you go down to an hourly rate the NPL/JDL kids are are doing well in comparison to maybe dancing and the like, but AFL, Cricket , League, Union, basketball are much cheaper options and particularly AFL are getting more and more kids for this reason. And i'm not saying its a waste of time and money if you do pay for it for a period of time and they give up, any investement that see your kid developing and enjoying life is a good one. Any team sport will help all kids in one way or another. What if you had 4 kids in the JDL system would it change your mind? Anyone paying over max $700 is purely paying money to the club that is spent on everything else other than your child's development.

If your paying $1000 there is at least $300 that is going to paying for Senior Wages. JDL kids 75, Youth and 18's another 75. So thats roughly 150 kids at $300 = $45k which is conservative because I know some clubs are charging well over $1500 rego in those cases the take would be in excess of $100k ravaged from parents that makes no difference to their kids development. Charge the same money and put that back into facilities/training that will help these kids be the best they can be and many will stay loyal and not ask for money to play 1st grade for them. Putting money into 1st graders pockets is killing the game, the senior players will still play.

Simple put if you don’t want to pay the $1000, go and play community soccer for a fraction of the costs. If you want to compare apples with apples. Otherwise stop whinging about seniors and how much goes where, reality is the seniors of today we’re juniors once and paid their way also..

Who really cares what it costs, it’s an individual decision if they want to pay it to play under those competitions then great if they don’t then play community.

Nothing worse then reading about people whinging about the cost vs other sports and about people wanting to throw stats about how many are going to be professionals etc

Or who’s kids do clinics or extra coaching outside of JDL/NPL because they think there kids are better 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

At the end of the day, if a parent chooses to spend THEIR money to give THEIR child every opportunity to be the best they can be who are we to comment positively or negatively

I hope at some point this forum gets back to discussing results and performances etc and not who spends what

Captain_Carl
08-04-2021, 02:17 PM
I believe we will see a trend of clubs starting to install washing machines, clothes dryers, ice machines/chest freezers and ice baths in their facilities. Some clubs already have some of these things. Which club(s) will lead the way?

Jim
08-04-2021, 08:52 PM
My son is in his 4th year of SAP/JDL and needs to decide if he wants to chase an NPL spot next year.
It's not that hard finding an NPL spot. You may have to change club but it's quite diluted up here.

Simple put if you don’t want to pay the $1000, go and play community soccer for a fraction of the costs. If you want to compare apples with apples. Otherwise stop whinging about seniors and how much goes where, reality is the seniors of today we’re juniors once and paid their way also..

Who really cares what it costs, it’s an individual decision if they want to pay it to play under those competitions then great if they don’t then play community.

Nothing worse then reading about people whinging about the cost vs other sports and about people wanting to throw stats about how many are going to be professionals etc

Or who’s kids do clinics or extra coaching outside of JDL/NPL because they think there kids are better 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

At the end of the day, if a parent chooses to spend THEIR money to give THEIR child every opportunity to be the best they can be who are we to comment positively or negatively

Depends where the $1000 is going. If half is going to 1st grade then its a farce for many. You obviously feel its fair.

You shouldnt have to pay first grade when you are trying to improve your OWN situation. Or next time when you go for a haircut, pay double so the 1st grade player gets a free cut. Money well spent hey.

Take it easy
08-04-2021, 09:04 PM
It's not that hard finding an NPL spot. You may have to change club but it's quite diluted up here.

Depends where the $1000 is going. If half is going to 1st grade then its a farce for many. You obviously feel its fair.

You shouldnt have to pay first grade when you are trying to improve your OWN situation. Or next time when you go for a haircut, pay double so the 1st grade player gets a free cut. Money well spent hey.

Some people make me laugh and Jim you’re one of them. You pay the fee the club you have chosen to play for charges, regardless of how they spend it you have the choice to leave.

I’m guessing you whinge and expect to have a say on how Woolworths and/or coles spend their profits for services/products provided ? Do you question the service station on how much they pay their employees and what share of their wage is payed by your purchase ?

Get on with it, pay the money and play for your club of choice or don’t it’s pretty simple ... just stop whinging about it

Goatscheese
09-04-2021, 12:21 PM
Some people make me laugh and Jim you’re one of them. You pay the fee the club you have chosen to play for charges, regardless of how they spend it you have the choice to leave.

I’m guessing you whinge and expect to have a say on how Woolworths and/or coles spend their profits for services/products provided ? Do you question the service station on how much they pay their employees and what share of their wage is payed by your purchase ?

Get on with it, pay the money and play for your club of choice or don’t it’s pretty simple ... just stop whinging about it

Should these clubs be all about making a profit like Coles?

Take it easy
09-04-2021, 02:32 PM
Should these clubs be all about making a profit like Coles?

Exactly it, they’re not keeping and retaining massive profits. They’re trying to win comps and gain reputation to attract the next generation, people wether we agree or not like to be part of a winning culture.

Goatscheese
09-04-2021, 07:46 PM
Exactly it, they’re not keeping and retaining massive profits. They’re trying to win comps and gain reputation to attract the next generation, people wether we agree or not like to be part of a winning culture.

You don't get that by just spending all your money on 1st grade players.

Furthermore, if they aren't about keeping and retaining profits your analogy about Coles doesn't work. And even if it did, players are members of the clubs so yes they should be able to have a say about spend. Your question regarding Coles and what they do is exactly what Shareholders do, ask questions and push for what they want to do with the money coming in.

Take it easy
09-04-2021, 08:13 PM
You don't get that by just spending all your money on 1st grade players.

Furthermore, if they aren't about keeping and retaining profits your analogy about Coles doesn't work. And even if it did, players are members of the clubs so yes they should be able to have a say about spend. Your question regarding Coles and what they do is exactly what Shareholders do, ask questions and push for what they want to do with the money coming in.

Wow you really do live in fantasy land.

Players are like employees, if you want an opinion join the committee. You’ll soon realise not all the money gets spent on first grade and you’ll soon realise that the people making the decisions don’t care.

Simple fact if you don’t pay you don’t play.. get over it and move on princess

Jim
09-04-2021, 08:33 PM

Wrong again. Shopping at Coles has nothing to do with hampering kids.

Answer my simple question or ill help you. you dont spend a cent on anyone else except for some stupid reason your happy to feed the seniors at the expense of the juniors.

Take it easy
09-04-2021, 08:54 PM
Wrong again. Shopping at Coles has nothing to do with hampering kids.

Answer my simple question or ill help you. you dont spend a cent on anyone else except for some stupid reason your happy to feed the seniors at the expense of the juniors.

If it wasn’t for the seniors the juniors don’t exist. You’d be still in community football, so if that’s all you can afford go back and enjoy. Otherwise stop whinging or go to a club that has a good junior program if yours doesn’t, not rocket science but obviously above your comprehension skill set.

We’re talking about $1000 of which you’re complaining $300 (which is fictional in itself) goes to running the senior players .. seriously get over it ... lots of parents pay double and triple that for their child’s development because that’s what their child loves and they give them every opportunity to be the best version of themselves they can be..

$300 mate not $30000

Bremsstrahlung
09-04-2021, 08:55 PM
I think Aldi do the most for youth football.

Johnno
09-04-2021, 11:41 PM
If it wasn’t for the seniors the juniors don’t exist. You’d be still in community football, so if that’s all you can afford go back and enjoy. Otherwise stop whinging or go to a club that has a good junior program if yours doesn’t, not rocket science but obviously above your comprehension skill set.

We’re talking about $1000 of which you’re complaining $300 (which is fictional in itself) goes to running the senior players .. seriously get over it ... lots of parents pay double and triple that for their child’s development because that’s what their child loves and they give them every opportunity to be the best version of themselves they can be..

$300 mate not $30000
You literally have NFI Easy your analogies are fictional. How would you like to be a Lake Macquarie City junior who have just signed 4 players who are on the other side of 35 + Cowburn all on $$$$ at club who have no chance of winning the competition. What message does that send to all the parents forking out $$$ and how does that possibly encourage the development of their players through the JDL and NPL youth systems? Get it through your thick skull the current system is broken and has been for sometime.

Take it easy
10-04-2021, 01:35 AM
You literally have NFI Easy your analogies are fictional. How would you like to be a Lake Macquarie City junior who have just signed 4 players who are on the other side of 35 + Cowburn all on $$$$ at club who have no chance of winning the competition. What message does that send to all the parents forking out $$$ and how does that possibly encourage the development of their players through the JDL and NPL youth systems? Get it through your thick skull the current system is broken and has been for sometime.

Seriously what don’t you idiots get??

If you don’t like it don’t pay, simple .... Lake Mac or Toronto have always been a basket case for 20 plus years, if you want development why would you go there in the first place ??

At least with a bunch of 35+ they have given the club some hope of being competitive and not a total basket case...

The current system is 4 years old and was and always will be about revenue raising to keep the premier clubs viable and it’s the first year the JDL and NPL have actually linked and you guys are the experts saying it’s broken already 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️. It’s the first time a club has had the ability to accelerate plays in ages groups from 9s all the way through to 18s.
How can that be a bad thing ?

Let’s face it, the reason private academy’s and coaching clinics and coaches exist is purely to make money. When you take your rose coloured glasses off and take your head out of your arses, Wether we agree or not it is what it is, you have a choice pay and play or don’t

Lake Mac is your example you used for seniors but at least they also invested in a new TD, again wether you like him or not the club has invested in someone to develop the club

I still would love to understand your logic on the $300 you all whinge about going to seniors, how you come to that figure ?

You say $1000 rego per player and 30% is used for first grade, I think if you understood the real costs associated of running clubs you’d be kidding yourself

Do some simple math, The NPL club I’m involved with offers 4.5hrs of training a week for min 36weeks a year they play minimum 22 games a year plus trials so if we add that together it’s around 195hrs of time for my child so if you take your full $1000 you all whinge about is $5 an hour expensive ??? Maybe for some but they’re probably the blokes that skip their shout at the pub or tell you to BYO meat to their BBQ for their kids birthday and still expect a present ... oh wait then you get your full kit, nnsw fees paid, etc

Let’s be serious guys and get behind clubs instead of bagging them out, ASK yourself what have I contributed to make the club a better place instead of whinging about who signed who and for what

Stanley
10-04-2021, 06:09 AM
Seriously what don’t you idiots get??

If you don’t like it don’t pay, simple .... Lake Mac or Toronto have always been a basket case for 20 plus years, if you want development why would you go there in the first place ??

At least with a bunch of 35+ they have given the club some hope of being competitive and not a total basket case...

The current system is 4 years old and was and always will be about revenue raising to keep the premier clubs viable and it’s the first year the JDL and NPL have actually linked and you guys are the experts saying it’s broken already ��*♂️��*♂️. It’s the first time a club has had the ability to accelerate plays in ages groups from 9s all the way through to 18s.
How can that be a bad thing ?

Let’s face it, the reason private academy’s and coaching clinics and coaches exist is purely to make money. When you take your rose coloured glasses off and take your head out of your arses, Wether we agree or not it is what it is, you have a choice pay and play or don’t

Lake Mac is your example you used for seniors but at least they also invested in a new TD, again wether you like him or not the club has invested in someone to develop the club

I still would love to understand your logic on the $300 you all whinge about going to seniors, how you come to that figure ?

You say $1000 rego per player and 30% is used for first grade, I think if you understood the real costs associated of running clubs you’d be kidding yourself

Do some simple math, The NPL club I’m involved with offers 4.5hrs of training a week for min 36weeks a year they play minimum 22 games a year plus trials so if we add that together it’s around 195hrs of time for my child so if you take your full $1000 you all whinge about is $5 an hour expensive ??? Maybe for some but they’re probably the blokes that skip their shout at the pub or tell you to BYO meat to their BBQ for their kids birthday and still expect a present ... oh wait then you get your full kit, nnsw fees paid, etc

Let’s be serious guys and get behind clubs instead of bagging them out, ASK yourself what have I contributed to make the club a better place instead of whinging about who signed who and for what

Well said, it’s all about choices. Want to play community football pay rego fees $200 plus, play NPL then it’s $1,000 plus, want private coaching pay $60/hr plus.

Football clubs are not for profit organisations, most clubs struggle to break even at the end of the season

Bremsstrahlung
10-04-2021, 06:29 AM
Each to their own.
Clubs operate differently and have different coaching, facilities, cost, ideology, different levels of respect for youth and other factors. All the clubs are different and whether they like it or not, they develop a reputation.
You know the clubs that you think are taking parents for a ride, you know the clubs that offer a good solid program, we know the clubs that don’t care much for youth and are just ticking a box, we know which clubs are “well run” and have pathways from SAP to First grade if you’re good enough. What clubs do and stand for is developed over time. When you sign for a club, you make a decision based on things you know and anybody around the scene knows somebody who has an experience with every club, it’s easy to get the “inside goss” on what a club is like. So you make a decision. If you want to pay club A your moneys, you do it. If you don’t agree with how they operate, you can give them your money and whinge or take your money and child elsewhere. Clubs that will suffer are those that don’t operate well, as news gets around and people will choose to avoid.
You make your choice.

In terms of fees. I’ll just say that not everyone is in a financial position to pay this type of money for a sport. Not everyone comes from a family who understand the way the code works at the moment or is fully across it. (My first year of NBN was $400 for everything, and the next club was 350). You’d be surprised how many juniors and parents new to sporting world don’t know about elite competitions until it’s “too late”. Growing up, my parents just assumed NBN was where the better All Age players were. Anyway. I do believe or sincerely hope that if there were any genuine cases of parents not being able to afford their child rego and fees, that clubs would help out. It takes a lot for somebody to ask for financial help and state they can’t afford it. If there are clubs who wouldn’t subsidise or have payment plans or something in place for the odd child who unfortunately couldn’t afford it, then I don’t think you’d want to be part of that club anyway.

Yes, there are higher costs involved with elite competition, you choose your club, if you don’t like how a club operates go elsewhere and take your money with you, clubs will soon realise and change, or prey on those whose parents are desperate to have their child play elite but maybe not good enough to get in elsewhere.
No, fees shouldn’t stop a talented or even aspiring player from playing. I’d honestly be pretty shocked and disgusted if a child was selected for a club and their parents genuinely weren’t able to afford it, and the club refused to help out in some way.

Jim
11-04-2021, 08:04 AM
Saw the 16s Adamstown Charlestown NPL yesterday. Lads tried hard on both sides. Could have gone either way, buds nicked it 1-0.

Seemed a little scrappy for the main maybe due to the effort of both defences. Some of the players were a bit tentative at times and appeared out of their depth which makes me wonder about the depth of the whole comp. The Carlie coach or assistant was very calm during the after team talk to the point where im wondering about how concerned they really are about development. Not putting down these gentlemen down as it's a big job and they ensured a nice positive tone just wondering how serious we are at this level. Maybe they are just playing for fun which is fine.

Take it easy
12-04-2021, 08:48 AM
Some interesting results over the weekend across all age groups...

Hamilton seem to have a field day in maitland with only Maitland 13s showing up for the contest

Broadmeadow had a day out against Valo

Jaffas won all 4 age groups against Weston

How is everyone seeing their early predictions

KITZ
12-04-2021, 12:45 PM

what the F do you know about city? How about you don't comment on a club you know nothing about, you don't know what the parents or committee think you have no idea about their youth developing either. They have probably one of the THE most qualified youth technical directors, and smart coaches that were interesting in actually learning to coach would want all the knowledge he has.

sick to death of people with NFI commenting on youth development. Leave it to the people who actually know and care.

Captain_Carl
12-04-2021, 10:44 PM
How is everyone seeing their early predictions

Back on 10/3 I put my predictions in (see thread) and for those who don’t remember I placed the teams in ALPHABETICAL order not RANK order.

U14s - Edgeworth, Maitland, Mid Coast, Olympic
U15s - Edgeworth, Maitland, Olympic , Valentine
U16s - Edgeworth, Lambton, Maitland, Olympic

I still think I am tracking well except think I might have missed the mark with Maitland (14s, 15s and 16s) and Valo in 15s. Azzurri are currently high on youth tables but haven’t played the stronger clubs yet.

Take it easy
13-04-2021, 12:00 AM
Have to agree, with the exception of Maitland you're tracking well. I haven’t been to see as many games as I what I would have liked but will hopefully get to see some of the better teams clash... any individual teams you’ve seen that were a good watch ?

Goatscheese
13-04-2021, 12:06 AM
Wow you really do live in fantasy land.

Players are like employees, if you want an opinion join the committee. You’ll soon realise not all the money gets spent on first grade and you’ll soon realise that the people making the decisions don’t care.

Simple fact if you don’t pay you don’t play.. get over it and move on princess

You've got it wrong parents aren't like employees and even if they are then you analogy falls over as well.

I'm at a club where the money is detailed and we see where it goes. Just pointing out that you trying to explain how it works is nothing but a load of shit and make me think you don't understand how clubs can work, or even how business works when you tried to make an analogy between Coles and it collapsed straight away

Goatscheese
13-04-2021, 12:12 AM
In terms of fees. I’ll just say that not everyone is in a financial position to pay this type of money for a sport. Not everyone comes from a family who understand the way the code works at the moment or is fully across it. (My first year of NBN was $400 for everything, and the next club was 350). You’d be surprised how many juniors and parents new to sporting world don’t know about elite competitions until it’s “too late”. Growing up, my parents just assumed NBN was where the better All Age players were. Anyway. I do believe or sincerely hope that if there were any genuine cases of parents not being able to afford their child rego and fees, that clubs would help out. It takes a lot for somebody to ask for financial help and state they can’t afford it. If there are clubs who wouldn’t subsidise or have payment plans or something in place for the odd child who unfortunately couldn’t afford it, then I don’t think you’d want to be part of that club anyway.

This is where the discussion started before some clown started banging on about Coles.

Yes it is expensive part of that is the associations (including FA) who all want a piece of the pie as well. The game is becoming a sport for the wealthy, clubs and the associations should be looking to reduce costs where possible.

Why because people will go to community, will go to other sports and they can include the talented kids that could be the next A-league player, the next socceroo etc. In the UK the EPL clubs will have free coaching clincs in poor areas because they know there is plenty of talent within the lower classes and it isn't just the well off that can produce kids with raw talent

Goatscheese
13-04-2021, 12:16 AM
Saw the 16s Adamstown Charlestown NPL yesterday. Lads tried hard on both sides. Could have gone either way, buds nicked it 1-0.

Seemed a little scrappy for the main maybe due to the effort of both defences. Some of the players were a bit tentative at times and appeared out of their depth which makes me wonder about the depth of the whole comp. The Carlie coach or assistant was very calm during the after team talk to the point where im wondering about how concerned they really are about development. Not putting down these gentlemen down as it's a big job and they ensured a nice positive tone just wondering how serious we are at this level. Maybe they are just playing for fun which is fine.

Not sure if needing to yell and scream after a game is worth it. You said you watched the game and both teams tried hard and could've gone either way but Adamstown just got it. If Azzuri did try hard and play well the coach understands that and is relaying that sometimes you can play your best and still lose. Perhaps he is more concerned about development and less about winning

Captain_Carl
13-04-2021, 05:52 AM
Have to agree, with the exception of Maitland you're tracking well. I haven’t been to see as many games as I what I would have liked but will hopefully get to see some of the better teams clash... any individual teams you’ve seen that were a good watch ?

In 13s Magic and Edgeworth are looking really strong and play some good football.
In 14s Edgeworth are early standouts and are definitely a stronger team than last year but Olympic and Mid Coast are still two of the teams to beat.
In 15s I can’t see anyone overcoming Olympic (although Magic did in last season’s grand final).
In 16s I saw a great contest between Edgeworth and Olympic.

Reviewing my above comments I will make a call that either Olympic or Edgeworth will win the club championship (for Youth).

Take it easy
13-04-2021, 07:14 AM
This is where the discussion started before some clown started banging on about Coles.

Yes it is expensive part of that is the associations (including FA) who all want a piece of the pie as well. The game is becoming a sport for the wealthy, clubs and the associations should be looking to reduce costs where possible.

Why because people will go to community, will go to other sports and they can include the talented kids that could be the next A-league player, the next socceroo etc. In the UK the EPL clubs will have free coaching clincs in poor areas because they know there is plenty of talent within the lower classes and it isn't just the well off that can produce kids with raw talent

🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

We’re not in the UK, you can’t even compare if our ALeague Clubs tried to compete and do everything an EPL club does it will be a lot more then the JETs in financial trouble and needing bailouts. Lets face it the sport in Australia isn’t in a financial state to support lower tier football the way it should to have the perfect world you guys dream about.

But in saying that if you think an NPL club is going to let the next A League player go because they can’t afford the fees you’re also kidding yourself, I know a number of kids across a few clubs who have talent and are strong NPL players the clubs help out with the costs. I’m yet to hear of a club turn someone away. Correct me if I’m wrong and the club should be Named and Shamed.

The bottom line is people that live in fairly land that think they clubs are taking 30% plus of the rego fees and purely spending it on paying first graders are so far out of touch with the costs involved in running the JDL, WPL and NPL programs.

NPL is an inexpensive opportunity for NPL level kids who have aspirations to play at that level and or higher to get better quality coaching and facilities

And just back on some else previous comments that called out Lake Mac for spending all the money on first grade and not development, you really need to do yourself a favour and go and speak to someone from the Club, I was fortunate enough to speak with a parent in their NPL system and could not speak highly enough of the improvement and coaching their child is getting. it’s their second year there and the club is working hard from first grade through to JDL, they acknowledge they don’t have the talent of some of the bigger name clubs but it’s certainly not from lack of trying to develop and improve all aspects of the club at all levels... time will tell and first grade are leading the way for them.

Goatscheese
13-04-2021, 02:33 PM
NPL is an inexpensive opportunity for NPL level kids who have aspirations to play at that level and or higher to get better quality coaching and facilities.

This is part of the problem that people were discussing before some clown came in trying to fit is broken analogy about people purchasing goods from Coles

Take it easy
13-04-2021, 03:00 PM
This is part of the problem that people were discussing before some clown came in trying to fit is broken analogy about people purchasing goods from Coles

Obviously you missed the point on the coles analogy, that was referring to the person making to claim that people pay their money they should get a say in how it’s spent within the clubs.

The coles analogy is a basic reference, you spend your money there also but don’t expect a say in how they spend.

Simple put once again NPL is cheap for what you get. Either pay and play or don’t and don’t play NPL

If more people got behind clubs instead of constantly looking for the negative, you’d be surprised the difference local football would be.

Jim
13-04-2021, 03:44 PM
Analogy is still flawed.
I buy self chosen groceries to eat which is good value for money. I pay kids to develop football skills and expect good value for money. Some clubs may some definitely not.

Take it easy
13-04-2021, 03:57 PM
Analogy is still retarded.
I buy self chosen groceries to eat which is good value for money. I pay kids to develop football skills and expect good value for money. Some clubs may some definitely not.

🤣🤣

You must have some serious issues in life...

That’s is the dumbest comment I’ve read on here today actually nearly ever. You win the trophy 🏆.. I hope you feel good at winning something...

You buy self chosen groceries just like you pay a self chosen club the value is in your choice 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️....

Jim you have given me the laugh that will last a while and it was free, so much value in that.

Anyway Jim, obviously your choice of club hasn’t given you value, or your markers of Value are skewed

Jim
13-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Not sure if needing to yell and scream after a game is worth it. You said you watched the game and both teams tried hard and could've gone either way but Adamstown just got it. If Azzuri did try hard and play well the coach understands that and is relaying that sometimes you can play your best and still lose. Perhaps he is more concerned about development and less about winning

Dont assume i like raised voices, I abhor that. The skills, processes and pattern of play were quite low. I had to check it wasnt community football

Goatscheese
14-04-2021, 01:03 PM
Obviously you missed the point on the coles analogy, that was referring to the person making to claim that people pay their money they should get a say in how it’s spent within the clubs.

And then you tried claiming later on that parents are actually employees not customers. So not only is your analogy flawed but also you don't understand it yourself

Bremsstrahlung
14-04-2021, 01:33 PM
I think I speak for most when I say, I hope we can stop with the supermarket analogies now?

Jim
14-04-2021, 01:33 PM
Anyway. I think its still important to have a good senior team which helps to attract stronger youth teams.

Take it easy
14-04-2021, 06:04 PM
And then you tried claiming later on that parents are actually employees not customers. So not only is your analogy flawed but also you don't understand it yourself

Again go and reread what was written... 🤡🤡🤡

Take it easy
14-04-2021, 06:04 PM
Anyway. I think its still important to have a good senior team which helps to attract stronger youth teams.

Agreed

Stanley
16-04-2021, 03:33 AM
I think I speak for most when I say, I hope we can stop with the supermarket analogies now?

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. You shop for a Kia you get a Kia, you shop for a Ferrari you get a Ferrari.

Bremsstrahlung
16-04-2021, 07:42 AM
Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. You shop for a Kia you get a Kia, you shop for a Ferrari you get a Ferrari.

But when I buy a Kia, I give them my money, but I can’t tell them what engine to put in it, or what seats I want, but when I can, I do. Or is it more about the research they put into designing a new car. Maybe it’s just a percentage for each.
Pretty similar to how a club operates imo. Thanks for clearing that up

Captain_Carl
16-04-2021, 07:50 AM
This week 2x NNSWF U14s TSP teams went to Sydney to play in a tournament against squads already selected for National Championships. Two Sydney zones (Southern TSP, Western TSP) as well as Capital Football and Riverina. The 2 NNSWF teams collectively won 6 from 6 games with a goal record of 21 goals for and 1 goal against. Now the selectors have to pick a single team from this! Great depth in the 14s age group in our region.

Take it easy
19-04-2021, 09:17 AM
Another weekend down, another weekend or lopsided score lines amongst some close contests

Has anyone seen a team that has changed their previous opinion or a team they think is to strong yet ?

13s seam to have 3 clear cut teams jaffas, Magic and Edgy. Magic appear to be by far ahead of the competition and the rest just making up numbers.

14s Olympic, Edgy and Magic, very tight top 3 but fall away after that

15s Olympic and Azzuri have started the season well, although I think It’s a much more even age group Olympic are looking good

16s haven’t watched a lot but appears to be the same as most years the best 16s are in the 18s comp which brings the competition much closer

Shoot me down now but at least let’s talk some football

Cunning stunts
19-04-2021, 09:32 AM
Another weekend down, another weekend or lopsided score lines amongst some close contests

Has anyone seen a team that has changed their previous opinion or a team they think is to strong yet ?

13s seam to have 3 clear cut teams jaffas, Magic and Edgy. Magic appear to be by far ahead of the competition and the rest just making up numbers.

15s Olympic and Azzuri have started the season well, although I think It’s a much more even age group Olympic are looking good

16s haven’t watched a lot but appears to be the same as most years the best 16s are in the 18s comp which brings the competition much closer

I think for the 13s for Maitland will be up there also from all reports

Goatscheese
19-04-2021, 09:35 AM

I'll add Jaffas into the mix for 14s as well they did draw with the runaway team yesterday. Some teams just haven't played enough football to be able to get a good indication from them all.

Captain_Carl
19-04-2021, 11:18 AM
13s I agree Magic are in a league of their own
14s I think Olympic and Edgy are the 2 favourites, next grouping includes Magic, Mid Coast and Jaffas and the others ... thanks for coming.
15s Olympic firm favourites followed by Edgy, Magic and Azzurri with the dark horse Valo (lost 3-2 to Olympic on the weekend).
16s Edgy, Olympic and Jaffas looking good.

Take it easy
19-04-2021, 11:53 AM

Haven’t done much so far ? 3-3 against Olympic. Have you watched them much this year?

Wheels look like they’ve fallen off a bit at Maitland, over the last few years they looked the big improvers across all age groups

KITZ
19-04-2021, 03:11 PM
I'll add Jaffas into the mix for 14s as well they did draw with the runaway team yesterday. Some teams just haven't played enough football to be able to get a good indication from them all.

Couldn't agree more. Some have only played 2 games, Lots of movement in some age groups and it can take some time for the teams to gel.

Some might start strong and fall away, or others will start to catch them as the season progresses and they catch up.

Take it easy
26-04-2021, 01:45 PM

I see they had another win, will be interesting when they face the top teams.

Magic continue to roll on.

Beaver
28-04-2021, 07:23 PM
Haven’t done much so far ? 3-3 against Olympic. Have you watched them much this year?

Wheels look like they’ve fallen off a bit at Maitland, over the last few years they looked the big improvers across all age groups

Seems that MaitlandFC ‘change of direction’ with a new TD is not getting the results they hoped for -they are stil a long way behind the big teams , see the results of all ( except 13’s ) v Olympic, 16’s was 11-2 Olympic wow!! Enough said

BS detecor
28-04-2021, 10:23 PM
Seems that MaitlandFC ‘change of direction’ with a new TD is not getting the results they hoped for -they are stil a long way behind the big teams , see the results of all ( except 13’s ) v Olympic, 16’s was 11-2 Olympic wow!! Enough said

Maybe the new TD has promised a lot and delivered not much

KITZ
29-04-2021, 09:56 AM

Change doesn't happen in a pre-season, getting a new TD in and changing a club takes time, sometimes a few seasons.

Theres also a significant issue with finding qualified (and appropriate) coaches in NNSW. In the last few weeks some of the abuse I've heard from coaching staff towards their own youth players has been beyond acceptable and in some cases in breach of child safety laws.

NNSW football in general has a long way to go in presenting a decent level of football that isn't rugby with a blanket thrown over it TBH. Until everyone gets on the same page we will never compete with teams from the other capital cities.

I won't even mention the refereeing... they need the same level of development the footballers need and don't get.

Hurricane
29-04-2021, 11:33 AM

They currently have all four grades in the top 5
16's 15's and 14's are all 5th place
13's are coming 3rd.

I think in 4 years that the past TD was at the club Maitland didn't have one team that made the final series. The new TD has been there for 6 months so it's a bit early to compare them with the big clubs of Olympic and Magic etc who have dominated youth competitions every year.

Budgie
01-05-2021, 05:38 PM
Maitland U14s and 16s beat Adamstown during the week to finalise the wash out round after MFC beat Adamstown 13s and 15s the previous week. This makes 3 clean sweeps for MFC in 5 rounds, i don't recall MFC ever having a clean sweep so TD must be doing something right.

Take it easy
02-05-2021, 07:45 PM
Maitland U14s and 16s beat Adamstown during the week to finalise the wash out round after MFC beat Adamstown 13s and 15s the previous week. This makes 3 clean sweeps for MFC in 5 rounds, i don't recall MFC ever having a clean sweep so TD must be doing something right.

Just looking through this weekend’s results they won all grades again.

Will be interesting to see how they fair when they come up against the top clubs, Broadmeadow, Edgeworth and Lambton though. Olympic gave all grades except the 13s a touch up

hamburgler
02-05-2021, 07:55 PM
Doing much much better than their HV neighbours Weston, who are going backwards it seems.

No idea what is happening but they are struggling in al youth grades

YewYew
02-05-2021, 10:29 PM
WTF is goin on at Lakes? Team being pulled from the comp because of mismanagement. Players scrambling to find ovver clubs.

How do this happen at this stage of season? 🤬

YewYew
02-05-2021, 10:30 PM
WTF is goin on at Lakes? Team being pulled from the comp because of mismanagement. Players scrambling to find ovver clubs.

16s BTW

KITZ
03-05-2021, 07:58 AM

"how does this happen?"

The players and coach involved know very well what happened. It wasn't mismanagement at all...

The players weren't asked to leave, they chose to do what they did and they are the ones who will also now need to try and find a place for 18s next year.

It was a behavioural issue that the club needed to deal with, the people involved didn't like being told that their behaviour wasn't appropriate and thought they'd strong arm the club with threats, good luck to any other club now having to deal with those parents.

In fact there's been several issues across clubs this year that northern need to get on top of, coaches swearing at youth players, things being left written on teams whiteboards, some clubs really need to get their act together, its dismal.

Goatscheese
03-05-2021, 03:15 PM
"how does this happen?"

The players and coach involved know very well what happened. It wasn't mismanagement at all...

The players weren't asked to leave, they chose to do what they did and they are the ones who will also now need to try and find a place for 18s next year.

It was a behavioural issue that the club needed to deal with, the people involved didn't like being told that their behaviour wasn't appropriate and thought they'd strong arm the club with threats, good luck to any other club now having to deal with those parents.

In fact there's been several issues across clubs this year that northern need to get on top of, coaches swearing at youth players, things being left written on teams whiteboards, some clubs really need to get their act together, its dismal.

Do you want to elaborate on what the poor behaviour was?

KITZ
03-05-2021, 06:10 PM
Do you want to elaborate on what the poor behaviour was?

There was official complaints made about on field incidents that aligned with what was also happening off the field, the sort of stuff seen across several clubs this season unfortunately. The team had been together for quite a while and was probably the last of the old system that the club is moving away from.

Rather than adapt to the change happening and accept the reprimand about behaving better knowing that the majority would have a chance in 18s next year, they decided to throw caution to the wind and hope they can integrate in new teams in time for next year. The club did the right thing and promoted a couple to 18s now and found clubs for others that didn't jump on the bandwagon.

From what I understand the club is attempting to set a higher standard of both football development and behaviour, that comes at a cost of shedding inappropriate coaching staff and is probably better off without players who think that kind of behaviour is okay.

I just hope other clubs can get on board and start to expect better from both their coaching staff and the players they have representing them, possibly that's expecting too much, but the game would be better for it I think.

SuperFish
03-05-2021, 07:10 PM
There was official complaints made about on field incidents that aligned with what was also happening off the field, the sort of stuff seen across several clubs this season unfortunately. The team had been together for quite a while and was probably the last of the old system that the club is moving away from.

Rather than adapt to the change happening and accept the reprimand about behaving better knowing that the majority would have a chance in 18s next year, they decided to throw caution to the wind and hope they can integrate in new teams in time for next year. The club did the right thing and promoted a couple to 18s now and found clubs for others that didn't jump on the bandwagon.

From what I understand the club is attempting to set a higher standard of both football development and behaviour, that comes at a cost of shedding inappropriate coaching staff and is probably better off without players who think that kind of behaviour is okay.

I just hope other clubs can get on board and start to expect better from both their coaching staff and the players they have representing them, possibly that's expecting too much, but the game would be better for it I think.

Ridiculous to see an NPL club not fielding a team in the youth. That is such a NewFM thing to do- kick em out of the comp.

The Hacker
03-05-2021, 09:47 PM

I applaud Lakes for their stance. How a group of 15 year olds think they are above the clubs rules and standards. If they behave like that in a football club these kids are in for a rude shock when they reach the real world.
Someone remind them the play under 16’s football for Lakes not Barcelona

Goatscheese
04-05-2021, 11:02 AM

Off and on field incidents such as?

Glad to hear the club looked out for those players that didn't resign in protest.

Goatscheese
04-05-2021, 11:04 AM
Ridiculous to see an NPL club not fielding a team in the youth. That is such a NewFM thing to do- kick em out of the comp.

If there have been code of conduct breaches and the club has called the players out on it and the players resign mid-season because they don't feel like they have to behave properly I think it is unfair on all the other players.

Would be a different story if they couldn't field a team from the start.

KITZ
04-05-2021, 05:00 PM
If there have been code of conduct breaches and the club has called the players out on it and the players resign mid-season because they don't feel like they have to behave properly I think it is unfair on all the other players.

Would be a different story if they couldn't field a team from the start.

The behaviour was swearing at officials to the point they should have been sent off, at injured players from the opposition team, at training. Not just the general swearing that kids sometimes do, but directed at people. Repeated incidents over time, unfortunately.

Pretty much what I told my son when I spoke to him. Don't ever put your football development in the hands of your team mates, you have to look out for yourself in order to make it through to seniors in this sport, those players didn't just affect their own development but their teammates who got dragged into it as well, as well as all the other players in the region.

The club did the right thing in trying to address it. The players let the club down, themselves and their fellow team mates and not to mention the sport as a whole.

I think putting together a new team now would just be pulling players from other teams and divisions and from what I've seen it's an age group a few clubs are struggling to fill this year, not sure it would be fair on other clubs to do that at this point in the season.

Take it easy
04-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Anyone know the result of the Magic v Maitland 13s ?

Reds Forever
04-05-2021, 10:40 PM
Magic 4-2 winners.

2-0 at HT.

Maitland started strong in second half and got goal back for 2-1. Magic then regained control and took 4-1 lead and should have had more but Maitland u14 keeper saved some good chances to keep score respectable.

Maitland getting late consolation goal to finish the match.

Goatscheese
05-05-2021, 08:22 PM
Magic 4-2 winners.

2-0 at HT.

Maitland started strong in second half and got goal back for 2-1. Magic then regained control and took 4-1 lead and should have had more but Maitland u14 keeper saved some good chances to keep score respectable.

Maitland getting late consolation goal to finish the match.

What's the Maitland U14 keeper doing playing down?

Hunter403
05-05-2021, 10:43 PM

In case of injury a keeper can play down an age. The reason is that it is a specialised position and because any kid in community league is registered in a different competition and cannot be called up to NPL. Common practice but requires NNSW approval.

Reds Forever
05-05-2021, 10:48 PM
In case of injury a keeper can play down an age. The reason is that it is a specialised position and because any kid in community league is registered in a different competition and cannot be called up to NPL. Common practice but requires NNSW approval.

Not this year. Clubs are required to use U12 player now that Sap is under NPL clubs.

They couldn't find a u13 keeper and for some reason being allowed to play him down.

Goatscheese
05-05-2021, 11:11 PM

If Maitland has an U12 JDL team they can't and I'd be surprised if Maitland don't have a JDL team. Northern should look into that

Goatscheese
05-05-2021, 11:12 PM
They couldn't find a u13 keeper and for some reason being allowed to play him down.

Their U13 keeper did leave them earlier in the year for Jets, maybe Jets poaching players late in the season is why.

Zico
06-05-2021, 01:02 PM
Their U13 keeper did leave them earlier in the year for Jets, maybe Jets poaching players late in the season is why.

The Jets squads were finalized well before Xmas. No excuse for not getting another Keeper.

Take it easy
06-05-2021, 09:10 PM

Have you seen the kid? He’s only small are you sure their 13s isn’t playing up in the 14s also ?

Goatscheese
07-05-2021, 04:15 PM
Have you seen the kid? He’s only small are you sure their 13s isn’t playing up in the 14s also ?

Someone earlier in this thread said he plays down.

And I was told elsehwere the 13s keeper Maitland had selected left for Jets just before season start

Reds Forever
07-05-2021, 06:37 PM
Someone earlier in this thread said he plays down.

And I was told elsehwere the 13s keeper Maitland had selected left for Jets just before season start

He is u14 and is playing u13 and u14. They had plenty of time to replace keeper that went to Jets as trials and selections not done until after Jets squad chosen.

Hurricane
07-05-2021, 07:11 PM
He is u14 and is playing u13 and u14. They had plenty of time to replace keeper that went to Jets as trials and selections not done until after Jets squad chosen.

The Jets took their 13's keeper in March. Wasn't done before trials

Zico
07-05-2021, 07:21 PM
The Jets took their 13's keeper in March. Wasn't done before trials

You have been fed some rubbish. The boy was selected for the Jets before Xmas.

Reds Forever
07-05-2021, 07:25 PM

Exactly. Feel sorry for U12 keeper not given opportunity. They also cut their keeper from last year U12 side.

Waited until February to start looking with ads on nnsw website and club FB page.

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/maitland-fc-seek-npl-youth-goalkeeper/

Take it easy
07-05-2021, 07:48 PM
Exactly. Feel sorry for U12 keeper not given opportunity. They also cut their keeper from last year U12 side.

Waited until February to start looking with ads on nnsw website and club FB page.

You sound pretty disgruntled by it. Is it really an issue?

Goatscheese
07-05-2021, 11:06 PM

But after NPL trails.

Still no excuse that the U14 keeper can play down when they have an U12 side

Goatscheese
07-05-2021, 11:07 PM
You sound pretty disgruntled by it. Is it really an issue?

It's just another example of Northern putting in regulations and then allowing clubs to ignore it

Zico
07-05-2021, 11:22 PM
But after NPL trails.

Still no excuse that the U14 keeper can play down when they have an U12 side
The Jets sides were selected in October. Plenty of time so no excuses.

Hurricane
08-05-2021, 01:49 PM
The Jets sides were selected in October. Plenty of time so no excuses.

Do you not understand it . The Jets had trials in October.
Their keeper left in March so they needed a new keeper at the Jets and signed the Maitland 13's Keeper in MARCH . Not in October

Zico
08-05-2021, 02:17 PM
Do you not understand it . The Jets had trials in October.
Their keeper left in March so they needed a new keeper at the Jets and signed the Maitland 13's Keeper in MARCH . Not in October
Once again....You have seriously been fed total bullshit.......the kid accepted the spot in October not March.

BS detecor
08-05-2021, 02:51 PM
I love that this issue has overlapped to a second page

Budgie
08-05-2021, 05:14 PM

Understand what everyone is saying but a very difficult situatipn and one that should be managed on a case by csde basis. The U12s GK Maitland is very small and putting a playing like that could destroy all confidence and GKare hard to come by.

KITZ
08-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Understand what everyone is saying but a very difficult situatipn and one that should be managed on a case by csde basis. The U12s GK Maitland is very small and putting a playing like that could destroy all confidence and GKare hard to come by.

The whole conversation is silly and way off on a tangent.

Their 14s keeper is new to this level of football as well, and I agree. I have seen some 12s play up but to be effective in NPL in a large goal, being able to distribute outside of the 18 yard box and actually do a goal kick are a big ask for a kid playing on a field that’s pretty much the size of an 18 yard box. Lol the games between JDL to NPL are almost on 2 different planets, especially for a goalkeeper. There’s a lot of preseason work that gets goalkeepers ready to move up onto a bigger field.

Ghost of Plague
08-05-2021, 08:08 PM
I won't rest easy until you release the birth certificates you cowards.
First Obama, now this.

French Frogs
08-05-2021, 08:53 PM
I cannot believe that an NPL youth team versing Maitland NPL youth 13s would even take consideration of the fact if thus said goalkeeper was indeed 13 or 14.

Stop losing focus on what matters and just let the kids play the game please.

Take it easy
08-05-2021, 09:12 PM
The whole conversation is silly and way off on a tangent.

Their 14s keeper is new to this level of football as well, and I agree. I have seen some 12s play up but to be effective in NPL in a large goal, being able to distribute outside of the 18 yard box and actually do a goal kick are a big ask for a kid playing on a field that’s pretty much the size of an 18 yard box. Lol the games between JDL to NPL are almost on 2 different planets, especially for a goalkeeper. There’s a lot of preseason work that gets goalkeepers ready to move up onto a bigger field.

Well said , hats off mate. Common sense prevails

Captain_Carl
09-05-2021, 10:34 PM
Q: what does …

U13s Magic
U14s Edgy
U15s Olympic all have in common?

A: They are the only youth teams who remain undefeated in season 2021.

Take it easy
10-05-2021, 07:40 AM
Q: what does …

U13s Magic
U14s Edgy
U15s Olympic all have in common?

A: They are the only youth teams who remain undefeated in season 2021.

I watched the hyped Maitland 13s yesterday and they must have looked good against weaker teams but now they’ve played Magic and Jaffas they have lost both games. Not sure what the coach was trying to do yesterday. If you’re playing a strong team, wouldn’t you play your best side to start with ? Wasn’t until he went 2-0 down he went to his bench and brought on some quality and the game was then competitive ...

Looks like a race in 2 Jaffas and Magic for the 13s , looking forward to the round 1 rematch, will be Magic’s first loss this season.

sapdad
10-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Looks like a race in 2 Jaffas and Magic for the 13s , looking forward to the round 1 rematch, will be Magic’s first loss this season.

I thought the scoreline flattered Magic a bit yesterday vs Olympic.Their keeper had a couple or moments that any other day dont happen.Having said that Magic were the better team and have a couple of really smart footballers in there and one lad that is fantastic out wide.I have yet to see Jaffas in 13's so hopefully its a good match.Well done to the coaches and spectators as well, it was a really good atmosphere and there was no carry on from anyone.Just a good environment for everyone.

Captain_Carl
10-05-2021, 11:14 AM
I thought it was a really good atmosphere and there was no carry on from anyone. Just a good environment for everyone.

You obviously didn’t stay back and watch the 15s 😂

sapdad
10-05-2021, 11:24 AM
No.Obviously I spoke too soon!!!

Take it easy
10-05-2021, 12:04 PM
I thought the scoreline flattered Magic a bit yesterday vs Olympic.Their keeper had a couple or moments that any other day dont happen.Having said that Magic were the better team and have a couple of really smart footballers in there and one lad that is fantastic out wide.I have yet to see Jaffas in 13's so hopefully its a good match.Well done to the coaches and spectators as well, it was a really good atmosphere and there was no carry on from anyone.Just a good environment for everyone.

Olympic’s 13s aren’t anywhere near the level of the older Olympic squads. They won’t make top4 and be lucky to make top 6.

Easily Jaffas and Magic are the top 2 followed by Edgy, Charlestown and maitland. Big gap to the rest in the 13s

Goatscheese
10-05-2021, 12:30 PM
You obviously didn’t stay back and watch the 15s 😂

What happened?

Captain_Carl
10-05-2021, 01:59 PM
What happened?

Some interactions between a coach of one team, a president of another and parents of both. I don’t want to elaborate anymore because I believe ASIO are tracking me.

YewYew
10-05-2021, 10:18 PM
Some interactions between a coach of one team, a president of another and parents of both. I don’t want to elaborate anymore because I believe ASIO are tracking me.

Tragic Preso got a kid in the 15s. Him an his army got real noisy when they got beat. Hamilton players and coaches giving it loads when they score last goal. Big LOLZ.

Bremsstrahlung
10-05-2021, 10:52 PM
Tragic Preso got a kid in the 15s. Him an his army got real noisy when they got beat. Hamilton players and coaches giving it loads when they score last goal. Big LOLZ.

Sounds like what an Olympic Magic game should be.

KITZ
11-05-2021, 08:17 AM

I'm not sure you should be throwing rocks in that glass house. Edgeworth 14's were pretty horrid to each other during the warm up on Saturday. and then in the second half when they couldn't score against city I heard from players on the field the longer they went without a goal the more they broke down and started yelling and abusing each other. I mean what on earth is the point of that - maybe losing a game would be in their best interests to learn something.

Goes to show that resilience is more important than a lot of people like to think and maybe for those teams to lose some points - or a game every now and then would do them some good. Nothing wrong with a bit of humility you know. Theres always someone in the world thats better, and those at the top of the ladder regularly go to Sydney and get it handed to them :shrug:

THEBIGCHEESE
11-05-2021, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure you should be throwing rocks in that glass house. Edgeworth 14's were pretty horrid to each other during the warm up on Saturday. and then in the second half when they couldn't score against city I heard from players on the field the longer they went without a goal the more they broke down and started yelling and abusing each other. I mean what on earth is the point of that - maybe losing a game would be in their best interests to learn something.

Goes to show that resilience is more important than a lot of people like to think and maybe for those teams to lose some points - or a game every now and then would do them some good. Nothing wrong with a bit of humility you know. Theres always someone in the world thats better, and those at the top of the ladder regularly go to Sydney and get it handed to them :shrug:

This is very subjective. What you class as yelling and abuse others may refer to it as having high expectations and being able to perform under pressure.

So far throughout out this website these players are not allowed to be shouted at by Parents, coaches and now their own players.

I would love someone to explain to me how these players can be held accountable for poor performances during and after games? and how this lack of mental resilience is going to hold them for senior football when coaches, players and supporters will be yelling and abusing them?

samcan
11-05-2021, 11:43 AM
The fine line between demanding action and abuse. A raised voice has no positive for me. Clear instruction and training of behaviours prior to game is essential. then rework after every game.
Has great results on many levels.

Bremsstrahlung
11-05-2021, 12:32 PM
Imo, a coach has a couple of sprays up their sleeve each season. In my opinion they should be reserved for effort related issues like turning the ball over cheaply and not trying to recover or just not putting in 100% effort. Effort is something the player can control, and as a player I had no problem with a coach pointing that out.
Mistakes, positioning, skills etc should draw constructive feedback and simple instructions.

Personally, I don’t think many young players or players in general react positively to being yelled at.

I think there are ways to keep players accountable that don’t involve yelling. Players Identifying their game goals or writing down an objective or aim then reviewing it post game is a way to make players think about their own game.
I remember a coach I had in NBN 18s told me as captain I needed to get up my players when they screwed up and to let them know it wasn’t good enough. For me, that wasn’t my nature. As mentioned above, players know when they make errors or do something wrong, the reaction and effort is much more important. Encourage them to make sure next time or to work to get it back, just some encouragement goes a long way and fosters a much better experience.

Zico
11-05-2021, 12:49 PM
This is very subjective. What you class as yelling and abuse others may refer to it as having high expectations and being able to perform under pressure.

So far throughout out this website these players are not allowed to be shouted at by Parents, coaches and now their own players.

I would love someone to explain to me how these players can be held accountable for poor performances during and after games? and how this lack of mental resilience is going to hold them for senior football when coaches, players and supporters will be yelling and abusing them?
100% agree.
Kitz is one of those people who talk plenty about something they know very little about.

BS detecor
11-05-2021, 02:01 PM

Winners want to win and sometimes that leads to outbursts in the heat of the moment. Nothing wrong with being passionate about your sport. In fact, as long as it’s left on the field, I’m all for telling a team mate to lift his game. Once the final whistle blows it should be handshakes all round no matter how fuming you are.
The rest can pick up their participation ribbons on the way out of the ground.

Goatscheese
11-05-2021, 02:50 PM
Imo, a coach has a couple of sprays up their sleeve each season. In my opinion they should be reserved for effort related issues like turning the ball over cheaply and not trying to recover or just not putting in 100% effort. Effort is something the player can control, and as a player I had no problem with a coach pointing that out.
Mistakes, positioning, skills etc should draw constructive feedback and simple instructions.

I think KITZ may be talking about the players yelling at each other rather than the coach. Now knowing who coaches that team I'd be surprised if it was him yelling abuse at the players even if they royally screwed up.

Now if it was players it depends what was being said, if a player made a mistake and they are calling him "stupid", "shit", "you don't know how to play", I'd agree that it isn't a good look nor is it something that will make that player improve. If they were yelling things that gave constructive feedback or ways to improve then it is a different story and not abuse.

But they won by six goals so they must have been doing something right.

Captain_Carl
11-05-2021, 04:00 PM

They couldn’t score against City in the second half as they felt 6 goals was already enough. That is not nice they were yelling at each other if abusive. That needs to be addressed by the club. Resilience is great and so is humility. Maybe they will experience it in a different game. Yes there is always someone better. Edgy 14s have lined up a game vs Manchester City just to test their qualities of resilience and humility. Keep producing those great chicken schnitzel burgers Lake Macquarie, they are really good.

KITZ
12-05-2021, 02:41 PM
I think KITZ may be talking about the players yelling at each other rather than the coach. Now knowing who coaches that team I'd be surprised if it was him yelling abuse at the players even if they royally screwed up.

Now if it was players it depends what was being said, if a player made a mistake and they are calling him "stupid", "shit", "you don't know how to play", I'd agree that it isn't a good look nor is it something that will make that player improve. If they were yelling things that gave constructive feedback or ways to improve then it is a different story and not abuse.

But they won by six goals so they must have been doing something right.

Yes - It was players at each other, and not constructive. - which is why I said its easy to point the finger but ignore what happens in your own house - something that judging by some emails and posts I've seen is an increasing problem right through from community to the higher levels at the moment.

Yes - the 6 goals were in the first half - city learnt a valuable lesson about walking onto the field with the right mindset right from the start . They improved significantly in the second half and kept them out - The longer they kept them out the more Edgeworth deteriorated to the end of the game - which was my point about resilience, don't think they need to play man city to learn that even though some people missed the point lol.

Captain_Carl
13-05-2021, 08:26 AM
Yes - It was players at each other, and not constructive. - which is why I said its easy to point the finger but ignore what happens in your own house - something that judging by some emails and posts I've seen is an increasing problem right through from community to the higher levels at the moment.

Yes - the 6 goals were in the first half - city learnt a valuable lesson about walking onto the field with the right mindset right from the start . They improved significantly in the second half and kept them out - The longer they kept them out the more Edgeworth deteriorated to the end of the game - which was my point about resilience, don't think they need to play man city to learn that even though some people missed the point lol.

KITZ last night Edgeworth 14s played Jets 14s and lost 5-1. Now they have had their taste of humility they can get back to winning 😂

traffic light
15-05-2021, 05:03 PM
KITZ last night Edgeworth 14s played Jets 14s and lost 5-1. Now they have had their taste of humility they can get back to winning ��

Why did this game happen? Trial for new players? practise?

Captain_Carl
15-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Just a practice game.

KITZ
15-05-2021, 09:07 PM
KITZ last night Edgeworth 14s played Jets 14s and lost 5-1. Now they have had their taste of humility they can get back to winning 😂

unsurprisingly you missed the point.

Goatscheese
15-05-2021, 09:47 PM

I understand it was for Kew to look at players for TSP and since that Edgeworth team now has the most players selected Kew must've been happy with them.

traffic light
16-05-2021, 07:59 PM
I understand it was for Kew to look at players for TSP and since that Edgeworth team now has the most players selected Kew must've been happy with them.

Interestingly. Edgy also had the most players selected in the recent 12s tsp trials.

Take it easy
16-05-2021, 08:03 PM
Interestingly. Edgy also had the most players selected in the recent 12s tsp trials.

Yeah both edgy and Olympic had 4 each, maitland, magic and Valo 3 ... Jaffas only 1 surprisingly

traffic light
16-05-2021, 08:11 PM
Yeah both edgy and Olympic had 4 each, maitland, magic and Valo 3 ... Jaffas only 1 surprisingly

A couple of those were at Jaffas last year. Makes no difference. As long as they are choosing the right kids.

Isthisforreal
16-05-2021, 08:33 PM
A couple of those were at Jaffas last year. Makes no difference. As long as they are choosing the right kids.

5 former Jaffas to be exact..

traffic light
16-05-2021, 09:47 PM
Someone mentioned earlier about the importance of tournament football. Are there any happening soon?

BS detecor
16-05-2021, 09:52 PM
Someone mentioned earlier about the importance of tournament football. Are there any happening soon?

Kanga cup is one of the best tournaments you can enter. Nothing bonds a team like A week in Canberra in July

French Frogs
17-05-2021, 03:04 PM
Kanga cup is one of the best tournaments you can enter. Nothing bonds a team like A week in Canberra in July

Agreed and I have always thought it a concept that could be accommodated in Newcastle.

Captain_Carl
23-05-2021, 07:25 PM
I am going to pick a selection of games for next week’s youth round 11 and ask you to pick the winners:

U13 Azzurri vs Edgeworth
U14 Magic vs Mid Coast
U15 Maitland vs Valentine
U16 Rosebuds vs Jaffas

Take it easy
23-05-2021, 08:20 PM
I am going to pick a selection of games for next week’s youth round 11 and ask you to pick the winners:

U13 Azzurri vs Edgeworth
U14 Magic vs Mid Coast
U15 Maitland vs Valentine
U16 Rosebuds vs Jaffas

Azzuri - Surprise packets and will be there when the Season gets serious
Magic
Valentine
Jaffas

Captain_Carl
23-05-2021, 09:08 PM
Magic
Valentine
Jaffas

For me …
Azzurri
Mid Coast
Valentine
Jaffas

sapdad
23-05-2021, 10:04 PM

Don't they have a bunch of emerging Jets in that team?I haven't seen them play yet but Magic and Jaffas have been the teams to impress me most so far.

Jim
23-05-2021, 10:38 PM
Don't they have a bunch of emerging Jets in that team?I haven't seen them play yet but Magic and Jaffas have been the teams to impress me most so far.

Wouldnt they be in this years 13's Jets if they were going to get there? There isnt a lot of movement in Jets youth teams.

They are a decent team though

Take it easy
24-05-2021, 09:35 AM
Another week down, anyone have any highlights or observations they want to share?

Any teams exceeding expectations?

Jim
24-05-2021, 11:19 PM
Another week down, anyone have any highlights or observations they want to share?

Any teams exceeding expectations?

Been watching some metro Jets youth and some local NPL Youth over last few months. Pretty underwhelmed at what im seeing here. Some players are up for some intense footy but most not. Seems like many are going through the "processed" motions.

Barry Dawson
29-05-2021, 08:48 AM
Clubs already looking to 2022 for additional players. It’s about that time of year I guess.

Everyone’s thoughts on coaches reaching out to “minors” directly via Instagram rather than via Club TD or (hang on, here’s an idea) the kids parents?

True story.

KITZ
29-05-2021, 09:50 AM
Clubs already looking to 2022 for additional players. It’s about that time of year I guess.

Everyone’s thoughts on coaches reaching out to “minors” directly via Instagram rather than via Club TD or (hang on, here’s an idea) the kids parents?

True story.

If you don't trust your kids to be internet safe, might be better to just not let them have social media.

Contact the club - find out if its legit.

It also depends on the age of the player.

Barry Dawson
29-05-2021, 10:27 AM
If you don't trust your kids to be internet safe, might be better to just not let them have social media.

Contact the club - find out if its legit.

It also depends on the age of the player.

Agreed. And for the record - not talking 15 year olds - younger

Jim
29-05-2021, 01:58 PM

True story.

Nup. Friends of the family or mates suggesting, thats ok. Asking the player to contact parents is fine. But officials from clubs always through the parents.

Take it easy
29-05-2021, 01:58 PM
Agreed. And for the record - not talking 15 year olds - younger

I’d name the club. Respect goes along way and the coach should talk to the parents.

Goatscheese
31-05-2021, 03:17 PM
I’d name the club. Respect goes along way and the coach should talk to the parents.

If the coach doesn't know the parents?

Take it easy
01-06-2021, 10:00 AM
If the coach doesn't know the parents?

Well he shouldn’t be coaching if he’s not that clever. Let’s get real it’s the NPL someone always knows someone. If you can find the kid on social media you can find his parents and do the respectful thing

Goatscheese
01-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Well he shouldn’t be coaching if he’s not that clever. Let’s get real it’s the NPL someone always knows someone. If you can find the kid on social media you can find his parents and do the respectful thing

If you know the kid nothing wrong with saying like to come trail.

The issue becomes when they start offering them the spot or even offering money as one coach did for an U14 player a couple years ago

Take it easy
01-06-2021, 11:46 AM
If you know the kid nothing wrong with saying like to come trail.

The issue becomes when they start offering them the spot or even offering money as one coach did for an U14 player a couple years ago

Do you still actually believe in trials ? Outside of U9s is any trial an actual trial. Most clubs have always tapped the kids on the shoulder they want and then give the spool of we can’t officially give you a spot in writing until this date because of NNSW rules etc but you have a spot, so turn up to the first trial and we can officially give it to you then.

BS detecor
01-06-2021, 03:03 PM
Do you still actually believe in trials ? Outside of U9s is any trial an actual trial. Most clubs have always tapped the kids on the shoulder they want and then give the spool of we can’t officially give you a spot in writing until this date because of NNSW rules etc but you have a spot, so turn up to the first trial and we can officially give it to you then.

It’s worked that way since the TD of Newcastle football used to give his whole team to olympic 13’s. There’s usually a final spot here and there in the big clubs for a triallist and the rest will filter on through the other clubs until they end up at lakes. Unless a kid literally has 2 left feet, they should find a spot somewhere

Onyatoes
01-06-2021, 11:48 PM
It’s worked that way since the TD of Newcastle football used to give his whole team to olympic 13’s. There’s usually a final spot here and there in the big clubs for a triallist and the rest will filter on through the other clubs until they end up at lakes. Unless a kid literally has 2 left feet, they should find a spot somewhere100% old mate from NF now at a club in between New Lambton and Jesmond spends his time siphoning players and offering informed opinions. He has always been a decent pied piper but his intentions have never been as pure as he portrays. Let's be honest. The HILARIOUS thing is that there are STILL NPL Youth Coaches offering chances to come to NPL programs when the only thing PREMIER about them is the amount of complete bullshit that these clubs continue to trot out year after year after year whilst D Eland and co remain anonymous. Come and play NPL for us........aside from a couple of clubs.....run in the other direction....

Take it easy
02-06-2021, 09:25 AM
100% old mate from NF now at a club in between New Lambton and Jesmond spends his time siphoning players and offering informed opinions. He has always been a decent pied piper but his intentions have never been as pure as he portrays. Let's be honest. The HILARIOUS thing is that there are STILL NPL Youth Coaches offering chances to come to NPL programs when the only thing PREMIER about them is the amount of complete bullshit that these clubs continue to trot out year after year after year whilst D Eland and co remain anonymous. Come and play NPL for us........aside from a couple of clubs.....run in the other direction....

Old mate as you put it has away to make himself big, he is apart of most discussions on the SAP forum but I want to ask why is 90% of it negative toward him and his new club land role. What has he done ? Hasn’t he been in the region now for a significant time and had a significant contribution?

Retired01
02-06-2021, 10:49 AM
Old mate as you put it has away to make himself big, he is apart of most discussions on the SAP forum but I want to ask why is 90% of it negative toward him and his new club land role. What has he done ? Hasn’t he been in the region now for a significant time and had a significant contribution?

I agree. Disgruntled parents whose children are better skilled than the actual parent every was so parent decides a nameless forum is the best place voice opinions on stuff they know nothing about, have no interest in volunteering so run it down

KITZ
02-06-2021, 12:58 PM
I agree. Disgruntled parents whose children are better skilled than the actual parent every was so parent decides a nameless forum is the best place voice opinions on stuff they know nothing about, have no interest in volunteering so run it down

how do you know who knows what or who volunteers where? you are making assumptions based on your own very little knowledge it appears.

If football was less about politics and "who you know, or how much sponsorship you are willing to pay" and actually based on skill, commitment and dedication, Youth football wouldn't be the bag of rubbish that it currently is in NNSW.

On another note has anyone got any idea about the philosophy behind the 9v9 Wednesday night tournament that's starting at the end of June??? small sided games with I assume the SAP sized goals???

Captain_Carl
02-06-2021, 02:23 PM
how do you know who knows what or who volunteers where? you are making assumptions based on your own very little knowledge it appears.

If football was less about politics and "who you know, or how much sponsorship you are willing to pay" and actually based on skill, commitment and dedication, Youth football wouldn't be the bag of rubbish that it currently is in NNSW.

On another note has anyone got any idea about the philosophy behind the 9v9 Wednesday night tournament that's starting at the end of June??? small sided games with I assume the SAP sized goals???

$300 entry cost per team. 10 teams in NPL (Mid Coast and North Coast excluded) + 12 teams in NLI x 2 age groups (14s and 15s) = $13,200

How’s that for philosophy?

Take it easy
02-06-2021, 02:46 PM

Well said.

Haven’t heard anything on the 9v9 what clubs are involved?

Goatscheese
02-06-2021, 08:41 PM

There's always one or two spots left even if most are taken from players they retained and some new ones coming in

Goatscheese
02-06-2021, 08:44 PM

Not just SAP sized goals but on a SAP sized field, but there is one difference between U12 JDL and this competition, this competition has no offside at all

Goatscheese
02-06-2021, 08:45 PM
Well said.

Haven’t heard anything on the 9v9 what clubs are involved?
Meant to be all clubs split into 3 compeitions

Cup: Top 6 YNPL teams
Plate: Bottom 4 YNPL Teams Top4 HitFM teams
Trophy: Rest of HitFM teams

Take it easy
03-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Meant to be all clubs split into 3 compeitions

Cup: Top 6 YNPL teams
Plate: Bottom 4 YNPL Teams Top4 HitFM teams
Trophy: Rest of HitFM teams

Tournament concept fantastic , 9v9 on smaller pitches ridiculous

Aegon
03-06-2021, 09:41 AM

I am assuming the justification will be that without reducing the pitch size they couldn't get enough games completed in time.

Captain_Carl
03-06-2021, 01:47 PM
I am assuming the justification will be that without reducing the pitch size they couldn't get enough games completed in time.

9v9 on a half pitch is ludicrous for 14s and 15s. 7v7 would be better for those age groups in an area of that size.

Goatscheese
03-06-2021, 02:10 PM

That's probably exactly it and no point handing it out to clubs to host means less money for Northern

BS detecor
03-06-2021, 04:11 PM

It’s been done in Spain for years. It’s called the LaLiga promises tournament and it’s a massive thing. Look it up.
Edit: it’s played 7v7

KITZ
03-06-2021, 04:22 PM
9v9 on a half pitch is ludicrous for 14s and 15s. 7v7 would be better for those age groups in an area of that size.

Would be better to tie a futsal comp onto the NPL, run it on the synthetic. 5 v 5 maybe split into two teams. not in the death cages though as it encourages poor first touch just smashing it off the sides and injuring each other. run it as a preseason and a tournament comp or something. Theres literally no FFA sanctioned futsal in NNSW - yet there's a state / national selection and competitions over the start of the year that northern have no participation in.