PDA

View Full Version : Is the A-League too good for our Socceroos?

the_butcher
20-09-2012, 01:05 PM
For years now the A-League has been snubbed by our Aussies Abroad. After reading this article http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/signings-of-alessandro-del-piero-emile-heskey-reflect-poorly-on-some-socceroos-stars-playing-overseas/story-e6frf4gl-1226477888243 it made me think about which players that played in the 'Jordan Disaster' would I want playing for the Jets.

Here's my like-for-like comparisons:
M. Schwarzer > Bira/BK
Neville/Mitchell > L. Neill
L. Wilkshire = Ritter
Goodwin > D. Carney
Neville/Mitchell > S. Ognenovski
M. Bresciano > Kanta
T. Cahill > Vigilli/Bridges/Jesic
B. Holman > Riba's
Zad/Brown > M. McKay
Zad/Brown > R. Kruse
R.Griff > A. Brosque

These Socceroos all have this deluded opinion that they would walk this league. After watching Kewell, Emerton, Aloisi & Culina (who were all regular socceroos) struggle (not so much Culina) im started to beg to differ.

Thoughts?

BodyNovo
20-09-2012, 02:35 PM
pretty spot on bar a couple i'd disagree with

most of them are to scared to come home. i'm pretty sure schwarzer said a couple of years ago after watching what happen to aloisi he decided he never wanted to recieve that type of treatment. Neill i reckon won't come home as he will be destroyed by the pace of the league and he probably thinks playing in wherever he is playing in the middle east at the moment is a better chance for him to get selected for socceroos games.

honestly in that squad there are also players abroad who are not getting picked who could be a better option than that 11 examples being davidson for carney and herd for mckay.

in an article in the sun herald on sunday an article was written saying that hiddink said the youngsters should have been brought in after the 2006 world cup. Our future development is being f**ked from the the top of the pile as well as the bottom. the (g)old generation needs to be moved on before the world cup. take a young squad to brazil let them experience it so they know what is required for the 2015 asian cup and the world cup to follow.

the_butcher
17-10-2012, 02:34 AM
Why do we stick with the same boring old blokes in the socceroos? It seems our focus is purely on qualifying but what happens if/when we do? Are these old fellas going to be there in brazil?

Guys like Goodwin, Aaron mooy, rogic, behich, brown etc should be given a crack. Geez if a clubless David carney can get a match surely some of these blokes can.

belchardo
17-10-2012, 05:50 AM
would really like to see the current socceroos play an exhibition match against brisbane. my money would be on brisbane. at least brisbane would be able to pass the ball IN FRONT of the man on the run.

GANALAAA
17-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Only one I'd swap around would be having mackay instead of Zad.
But McKay is essentially an league developed player anyway.

Interesting to know why they wont "come home" most earn enough coin in two or three seasons to set themslves up.

Length of season might play a part.

parksey
17-10-2012, 06:26 PM
there's no way ruben zadkovich should be anywhere near our national team again. good player for us but he's not up to standard.

the_butcher
17-10-2012, 07:49 PM
there's no way ruben zadkovich should be anywhere near our national team again. good player for us but he's not up to standard.

And the sad thing is that he's still better than half the blokes who run out for us this morning

parksey
17-10-2012, 11:27 PM
it's a sad state indeed.