PDA

View Full Version : HAL 12/13 Rd 1 - Newcastle United Jets vs Adelaide United 07/10/11 k/off 3pm AEHT

Pages : [1] 2

lil_masi
21-09-2012, 12:48 PM
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z83/furns/JetsLogo.gif vs http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z83/furns/brand.gif

Heskey A-League 2012/2013 Season
Round 1
Newcastle United Jets FC vs Adelaide United FC

When: Sunday 7th October, 2012
Where: Heskey Stadium, 294 Turton Road, New Lambton, NSW
Kickoff: 3pm AEHT(Australian Eastern Heskey Time) (gates open 2pm)
Tickets: https://www.proticket.com.au//event.asp?eventid=1938
Pre-match: from 12pm Heskey Park Tennis Club, Cnr Lambton and Curley Rds Broadmeadow
Google Map (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=cnr+curley+lambton+rd+broadmeadow&hnear=Lambton+Rd+%26+Curley+Rd,+Broadmeadow+New+So uth+Wales+2292&gl=au&t=m&z=16)
Watch: LIVE on Foxsports and FoxSports HD (Heskey Definition)
Listen: ABC Newcastle link (http://www.abc.net.au/newcastle/programs/webcam_radio.htm?ref=listenlive&src=internetradio)

Just wondering what everyones starting team would be for game 1? What formation do you reckon we'll go with?

Do you think Heskey will be rushed into the team and start?
Will we go 3 at the back?
Will Bira get the nod over BK?
Goodwin or Ritter or Both?

Thomas477
21-09-2012, 01:23 PM
I reckon Bira will get the nod tbh. Which will piss a lot of people off, but I would agree with it.

...................Bira

Neville, Mitchell, Ritter, Goodwin

..................Kanta

..........Jobe...........Riberio

Zadkid. Heskey. RyGriff

With a bench of
BK
Tiago
Pepz
Taggart

BodyNovo
21-09-2012, 01:24 PM
http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2012/09/529718_Newcastle_Jets.jpg

4-3-3

BK probably wont start but i think he deserves it after last years performances

goodwin just over ritter but i think ritter can come on in the 2nd half and allow goodwin to push further up the pitch

middle 3 of jobe, kanta and rubes. Jobe and kanta to sit and just recieve and pass it off. Rubes just to do what rubes does.

Virgilli has earned a start imo after his pre season form

heskey to start but not play a full game hence taagart being on the bench

ribiero to come on late and run at the tiring defences.

Thomas477
21-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Also, isn't that going to be an intimidating strike force of Heskey and Zadkid?

Bet the goalies are putting their mid half snack orders in now.

:lulz:

russjaybee
21-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Heskey wont start the first game imo.

david silva
21-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Bira
Neville - Mitchell - Tiago - Goodwin
Whellhouse - Kantarovski
Zadkovich
Ribero - Heskey - Griffiths

parksey
21-09-2012, 01:37 PM
-----------------Bira
Neville-----Tiago-----Mitchell-----Goodwin
-------------Wheelhouse
--------Pepper--------Zadkovich
--Taggart------------------------Griff
---------------Heskey

BK, Ritter, Ribeiro, Regan

furns
21-09-2012, 01:43 PM
updated thread and first post

may as well make this the match thread

lil_masi
21-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Alot of you guys have Tiago starting, obviously you dont think his match fitness would be an issue missing the last month of trials?

No one has selected a team with 3 at the back either.

pv4
21-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Alot of you guys have Tiago starting, obviously you dont think his match fitness would be an issue missing the last month of trials?

No one has selected a team with 3 at the back either.

probably because gve always saves it for his "tactical genius move". whenever there's hype on gve needing to pull a cat out of the bag, he goes 3 at the back. 08 gf, roar @ home in r1 last season, etc.

I can't imagine he will release his genius for round 1, particularly against a team probably tired from acl

Mitchy
21-09-2012, 02:10 PM
loose

furns
21-09-2012, 02:23 PM
only works if snake says it Mitchy

just like polls are only valid if slobs is included

plague
21-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Am really really excited for this season to start.
BK should start, as should Rubes and Jobe. Need to lay an early platform then bring on the quick men to run at tiring defenses.
Wait? What sport is this again?
Sorry it's been too long.

lil_masi
21-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Providing we start with a back 4 id go:

-------------------------------------Birra-------------------------------------
-------Neville------------Tiago---------------Mitchell---------Goodwin----------
-----------------------------------Jobe---------------------------------------
-----------------------------Zadko---------------------------------------------
------------------------------------Riberio-------------------------------------
---------R.Griffo------------------Heskey----------------------------Taggart----

Bench
BK
Ritter
Kanta
Bridges

Its hard putting Ritter on the bench, but Goodwin has been in awesome goal scoring form.

furns
21-09-2012, 03:05 PM
I wouldnt be starting Ribeiro personally I would leave him until later in the match when most of the opposition are tiring and he can zip around. I would be playing Kanta instead.

Blackmac79
21-09-2012, 03:08 PM
-----------------Kennedy------------------
--Neville---Mitchell---Ritter---Goodwin---
----------------Wheelhouse/Kanta----------------
-------Zadkovic-----------Ribeiro/Jobe---------
--Taggart---------Heskey-------Griffiths--

or

------------------Kennedy------------------
------Neville-----Mitchell-----Ritter------
---------Kantarovski----Wheelhouse---------
--Zadkovic------------------------Goodwin--
------------------Ribeiro------------------
-----------Heskey--------Griffiths---------

Rocknerd
21-09-2012, 03:11 PM
draw. We're well off being match fit and Adelaide are streets ahead in matches and real games, that being said, I think they'll be tired from the return flight from Uzbekistan.

1-1 maybe 0-0. We never start well against Adelaide.

russjaybee
21-09-2012, 03:30 PM
IMO it will be 0-2 or something along those lines, we wont really click and they will just look sharper. We'll keep the ball for parts of the game but never really threaten.

parksey
21-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I find it pretty strange that I'm the only one who would have Pepper in the starting 11.

GazFish35
21-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Whatever happens, with tiago and boogaard on the pitch one team won't finish the game with 11 players.

Lionel Hutz
21-09-2012, 04:43 PM
-------Neville------------Ritter---------------Mitchell-------------Goodwin----------
-----------------------------------Weelhouse---------------------------------------
------------------------Zadko-------------------------Riberio--------------------
---------Taggart------------------Heskey----------------------------R Griff----

Bench:
BK
Bridges (for heskey on 60mins)
Kanta
Tiago

plague
21-09-2012, 04:45 PM
I find it pretty strange that I'm the only one who would have Pepper in the starting 11.

Im with you.
Our best player last year.

Hamma12
21-09-2012, 04:49 PM
----------------BK-------------------
---Neville------Ritter-------Mitchell---------Goodwin
-------------Wheelhouse------------
-------Zadkovich-------Ribeiro----------------
---------Bridges---------Heskey------------Griff-----------------

Bench:
Regan
Kanta
Virgili
Birighitti (GK)

leftrightout
21-09-2012, 05:22 PM
-------Neville------------Ritter---------------Mitchell-------------Goodwin----------
-----------------------------------Weelhouse---------------------------------------
------------------------Zadko-------------------------Riberio--------------------
---------Taggart------------------Heskey----------------------------R Griff----

Bench:
BK
Bridges (for heskey on 60mins)
Kanta
Tiago

This is the one! In my opinion its our strongest team with brown out (he would replace Taggart).I even agree with the substitution to be made!

Love your work mr hutz!

Jetmaster
21-09-2012, 07:14 PM
This is the one! In my opinion its our strongest team with brown out (he would replace Taggart).I even agree with the substitution to be made!

Love your work mr hutz!

This ^^^ I can see Griff and Brown feeding heartily off Heskeys scraps.

q-money
22-09-2012, 01:58 AM
bk > birraz

Superdylan
22-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Overall we have had a decent run with Adelaide in recent seasons. Apart from season one we have lost to them only once in Newcastle which was in season 5, however we did **** up a one nil lead against them in season 4 with 30 seconds left which felt like a loss.

I can see us winning by probably a goal, 2-1 most likely. I'm hoping heskey gets some game time, really keen to see him have a go.

pv4
22-09-2012, 07:10 AM
although I love peppz, he's facing a lot better competition for spots this year & I wouldn't be surprised if he went the whole year without starting. great player last year & all, but gve has gone out & gotten his wunderkids & I'm sure they are his priority.

biraz > bk

gve has the excuse of "our preseason was disjointed by injury, suspension & game cancellations" so don't expect his system to be totally functioning and excuse-free for ages.

parksey
22-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I reckon he'll start round 1.

halo se7en
22-09-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't think they'll start slowly - it's the best pre-season we've had. Most signings were made very very early, we've had plenty of matches and plenty of time for GVE to get his formations and tactics right, and I've never seen so many formation variations - feels like we have a lot more options than ever before - most seasons our 11 was sorted with maybe one or two occasional changes.

Jets 3-1 to get the season off to a flyer, something I don't think we've ever done before.

stopper2
22-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I like Blacmac's 2nd option....
------------------Kennedy------------------
------Neville-----Mitchell-----Ritter------
---------Kantarovski----Wheelhouse---------
--Zadkovic------------------------Goodwin--
------------------Ribeiro------------------
-----------Heskey--------Griffiths---------

Like has been mentioned Tiago has not played for about a month, so it would basically be suicide to start him in the season opener with virtually no recent match fitness. Goodwin can always slot back into a LB role if 3 at the back isn't working.

Hamma12
22-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Like has been mentioned Tiago has not played for about a month.

He's still suspended isnt he.
Cause SFC cancelled todays match

sammydog
22-09-2012, 07:38 PM
I think the game against the mariners made up for it.

twenty2one
22-09-2012, 09:49 PM
My starting line up

BK
Goodwin - Ritter - Tiago - Neville
Jobe - Kanta
Rubes
Ribero - Heskey - Griffs

I believe BK should start, he had a good season and not to mention Player of the Year, Media Player of the Year and Foxsports Save of the Year. So if he doesn't start I don't know what he has to do.
Heskey should definitely start, maybe play 60 mins and then Bridges to replace him, looking forward to watching him play.

Thomas477
22-09-2012, 10:24 PM
I believe BK should start, he had a good season and not to mention Player of the Year, Media Player of the Year and Foxsports Save of the Year. So if he doesn't start I don't know what he has to do.
Heskey should definitely start, maybe play 60 mins and then Bridges to replace him, looking forward to watching him play.

Actually impress GvE in training instead of resting on his laurels would be a start. Lets face it, Kennedy was shit until Young impressed while BK was injured. This made BK have to push himself more in training to show the coaches that he deserves to play instead of Young and then Nash. Since then, BK has improved, look at the semi vs Gold Coast up there. He played brilliantly. It's the same as any position, if you don't put in the effort in training, or someone is better than you, you can't expect to play, no matter what you did. If we went on past accomplishments, Jardel would have been our best player of 07/08.....

From the looks of it, Birghitti has been impressing GvE and co. in training and in the trial games. It seems to me to be only fair that if GvE thinks that Birghitti would do a better job than BK, then Birghitti starts despite what BK has done in the past. Who knows, this could push BK to once more up his game.

plague
22-09-2012, 10:25 PM
I haven't seen anywhere near enough of the pre-season to form an opinion but why is everyone picking Kanta over Pepper?
Has Kanta been killing it?
I always thought Jobe and Kanta together were fairly one dimensional.
Pepper had way more versatility.
Can someone explain?

Thomas477
22-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I haven't seen anywhere near enough of the pre-season to form an opinion but why is everyone picking Kanta over Pepper?
Has Kanta been killing it?
I always thought Jobe and Kanta together were fairly one dimensional.
Pepper had way more versatility.
Can someone explain?

Simply because Kanta has been playing more with the "perceived" first XI. Its the same reason I'm thinking Biraz will be starting over BK.

plague
22-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Simply because Kanta has been playing more with the "perceived" first XI. Its the same reason I'm thinking Biraz will be starting over BK.
Ah OK. Has he been playing well? Don't get me wrong I rate the kid but thought last year something was wrong. Either he was hurt or his head was elsewhere. Would love nothing more than to see Kanta back in top form.

(Even though I think he should eventually be a centre back but that's another debate for another day)

GazFish35
22-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Was Kanta in and out of the squad due to the failed Olympic qualifying?

He's been a victim of his own ability, he's hardly had a season where he hasn't been dragged out to play for Australian age teams. He needs some week in week out club
football.

Thomas477
22-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Ah OK. Has he been playing well? Don't get me wrong I rate the kid but thought last year something was wrong. Either he was hurt or his head was elsewhere. Would love nothing more than to see Kanta back in top form.

(Even though I think he should eventually be a centre back but that's another debate for another day)

Average I thought, he didn't really do all that much but I've only been to 2 trials (Magic and WSW). Of what I remember, alot of our play was back to Mitchell who played it wide then attack from there. Agree with Gary too, it would be good to see him with a full season under his belt - which is probably what helped Pepper last season.

militiamon
22-09-2012, 11:30 PM

I think I'm in the same camp as you plague, although to be fair, he did impress me against WS. He looked very much active and involved in the game, which is the opposite impression I got from him last season.

Still a far cry from where everyone hoped he might be at a couple of years ago.

parksey
23-09-2012, 01:59 AM
kanta takes too many pingas

pv4
23-09-2012, 07:03 AM
kanta takes too many pingas

this isn't the chants thread bud

Grunta
23-09-2012, 07:13 AM
I don't think BK or Briaz have done too much wrong in the preseason so would assume gve would (should) show respect the BK as the current No.1

Tommyjet
23-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Didn't see bk at yesterdays intraclub trial, injured? I was only there for the first third tho so he may have played some part

Superdylan
23-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Didn't see bk at yesterdays intraclub trial, injured? I was only there for the first third tho so he may have played some part

Spoke to bk at the game, had a needle and couldn't play.

hawk
23-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't think they'll start slowly - it's the best pre-season we've had. Most signings were made very very early, we've had plenty of matches and plenty of time for GVE to get his formations and tactics right, and I've never seen so many formation variations - feels like we have a lot more options than ever before - most seasons our 11 was sorted with maybe one or two occasional changes.
Jets 3-1 to get the season off to a flyer, something I don't think we've ever done before.

sounds really good, i hope we're not looking through these

http://durbanvilleproperties.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/rose_colored_glasses.jpg

twenty2one
23-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't think BK or Briaz have done too much wrong in the preseason so would assume gve would (should) show respect the BK as the current No.1

I dont think GVE has respect for his players

BodyNovo
24-09-2012, 08:12 AM
i actually thought until i saw the wsw game that biraz wasn't playing that good. couple of really dodgy incidents with his clearances of the ball when under pressure. example being against the select side when he kicked the ball into mitchells head when put under pressure and the select side scored from it.

i guess it comes down to training as much as game time but out of respect BK should be given the first shot at the number 1 spot.

moses
24-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Full house if Heskey plays.

toad
24-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Full house if Heskey plays.

most fairweather jets fans (i.e. the people who make the difference between a 12000 crawd and a full house) wouldn't even know who heskey is

Pico
24-09-2012, 09:56 AM
most fairweather jets fans (i.e. the people who make the difference between a 12000 crawd and a full house) wouldn't even know who heskey is

^^^^^This

Heskey will bring punters in if he does his job and helps the team start scoring goals.

hauss
24-09-2012, 10:47 AM

I'm not sure how this will play out. It seems half of Newcastle are Liverpool supporters so his signing may draw them out of the woodwork.

My hope is that his signing will at least help us hit the Jets membership target of 11,000, help them sell maybe 2 or 3 thousand Heskey Jerseys and Boost crowd averages to around 15,000, with more people coming depending on how well the Jets are playing as a team.

These kind of numbers will make the signing of Heskey a break even prospect financially with anything above that being a bonus.

BodyNovo
24-09-2012, 10:54 AM
newcastle fairweather sporting fans in general; if the teams winning they come, if the teams losing they don't

De-Champ
24-09-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure how this will play out. It seems half of Newcastle are Liverpool supporters so his signing may draw them out of the woodwork.

My hope is that his signing will at least help us hit the Jets membership target of 11,000, help them sell maybe 2 or 3 thousand Heskey Jerseys and Boost crowd averages to around 15,000, with more people coming depending on how well the Jets are playing as a team.

These kind of numbers will make the signing of Heskey a break even prospect financially with anything above that being a bonus.

Really? How would you know what the break even point is?

toad
24-09-2012, 02:21 PM
3000 jerseys at $10 profit for club : $30000
$10 is just a guess but they retail for about $100 and there would be alot of people to pay along the way (i 'm assuming a-league take a cut of this?).

15000 ppl/game, assuming 11000 average without heskey so 4000/game is the "heskey factor".
13 home games = 52 000 extra tickets.
assuming $20 to the club per "attendance" (some will be kids, some will buy food/beer/etc).
52k * 13 = $1000000

so yeah don't think the jerseys will make much difference but 4k extra fans per game is probably about break even.

furns
24-09-2012, 02:26 PM
HAL dont get a cut anymore am pretty sure toad since the Reebok deal expired. All clubs have their own deals and get to keep their profits.

hauss
24-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Really? How would you know what the break even point is?

By examing the various revenue streams available and using publicly available information. It's not that hard.

toad
24-09-2012, 02:29 PM
HAL dont get a cut anymore am pretty sure toad since the Reebok deal expired. All clubs have their own deals and get to keep their profits.

ok so we might make as much as 50% profit then? anyone have more of an idea about this?

furns
24-09-2012, 02:31 PM
no idea on what the margins are, assuming those details would be commercial in confidence between ISC and HSG.

hauss
24-09-2012, 02:35 PM
3000 jerseys at $10 profit for club : $30000
$10 is just a guess but they retail for about $100 and there would be alot of people to pay along the way (i 'm assuming a-league take a cut of this?).

15000 ppl/game, assuming 11000 average without heskey so 4000/game is the "heskey factor".
13 home games = 52 000 extra tickets.
assuming $20 to the club per "attendance" (some will be kids, some will buy food/beer/etc).
52k * 13 = $1000000

so yeah don't think the jerseys will make much difference but 4k extra fans per game is probably about break even.

I would think the profit on those jerseys would be more like $50. The Jets will sell most of them themselves through their supporter store and stadium shops. They will be able to do it cheaper than Rebel with mass production of the Heskey #9 numbering and they give members a discount. So I think around $150k profit on this.

Extra members - to reach 11,000 say an extra 1,500 members at an average of $150 = $225,000

Extra game day sales - 15,000 compared to this years average of 12,000 = 3,000 at $20 = $60,000 x 13 games = $780,000.

This gives a total of $1,155,000.

We don't know how much he is being paid but the Herald say $700,000 and others say $1m.

toad
24-09-2012, 02:39 PM
yep sounds about right.

either way, the impact of selling 3000 jerseys (which sounds too high to me anyway) is small compared with getting more people to the game.

plague
24-09-2012, 02:46 PM
ok so we might make as much as 50% profit then? anyone have more of an idea about this?
Yes.
They would be working on at least 100% mark up on clothing ie Double what it cost them to buy.

hauss
24-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Merchandising is always highly profitable if it's not sitting around as stock in a shop.

That's why most bands handle their own merchandising at concerts, and why Krusty calls it the sweetest plum!

plague
24-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Also you would need to deduct the extra on costs having 3000 more people per game brings (security/staff). Plus the $20 food/drink figure per person would have to profit not just turnover.
Eg: Jets don't make $6.50 from each $6.50 beer, they make whatever margin they get so the extra 3000 might only generate a few 'real' dollars per game. I think based on gameday revenue alone it wouldn't cover the cost of Heskey.

BUT

Combined with extra sponsorship/potential TV money (mid-long term I know) and you can see how signing these players can be justified by the bean counters.

hauss
24-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Also you would need to deduct the extra on costs having 3000 more people per game brings (security/staff). Plus the $20 per person would have to profit not just turnover.
Eg: Jets don't make $6.50 from each $6.50 beer, they make whatever margin they get so the extra 3000 might only generate a few 'real' dollars per game. I think based on gameday revenue alone it wouldn't cover the cost of Heskey.

BUT

Combined with extra sponsorship/potential TV money (mid-long term I know) and you can see how signing these players can be justified by the bean counters.

$20 would be the profit margin on tickets sales only. An extra 3,000 people would only increase costs significantly if it meant opening extra areas of the stadium. But the Jets already have all sections of the stadium open, so they are already taking a hit by having to staff these areas. To me, any extra staffing would be minimal and would be fully covered by that $20 profit margin. Don't Wests still manage the stadium catering? There is only upside for having extra people buying extra beers because the extra staff pouring beers would be an insignificant cost.

Grimario
24-09-2012, 03:19 PM
$20 would be the profit margin on tickets sales only. An extra 3,000 people would only increase costs significantly if it meant opening extra areas of the stadium. But the Jets already have all sections of the stadium open, so they are already taking a hit by having to staff these areas. To me, any extra staffing would be minimal and would be fully covered by that $20 profit margin. Don't Wests still manage the stadium catering? There is only upside for having extra people buying extra beers because the extra staff pouring beers would be an insignificant cost.

But the extra beer sold would have to be paid for out of the beer cost.

You are right though, the overhead costs shouldn't increase as much at the same rate as the increase in customer spend so it's almost all cash in the bank (of Heskey).

GazFish35
24-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I'd be thinking the invetsment in both del piero and heskey would be leveraged against increased crowds for the next few seasons. I can't see the impact in one season covering the cost of their contracts.

plague
24-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Without going over the same point my initial statement was that it wasn't just a matter of
1. Sign Heskey
2. More fans
3. ?????????
4. Profit.

You even have to look into the cost of staff going over there to sign him (airfares/rooms) and any extra marketing you've done to promote him being here. There are lots of different areas that all add up and they are direct costs to the club.
All these little things add up and trust me, when you're writing the cheques every dollar counts.
FWIW I agree with the signing and honestly think the club is looking at the big picture. Whether it pays off in year one, two or in 10 years time the club deserves big hoorahs for having a dig.

hauss
24-09-2012, 03:57 PM
I'd be thinking the invetsment in both del piero and heskey would be leveraged against increased crowds for the next few seasons. I can't see the impact in one season covering the cost of their contracts.

I would think that they would want to go close to breaking even in the same season. Otherwise it becomes a gamble, like Leeds taking out loans to pay for Rio Ferndinand et al. secured on the future Champions League revenue that they would bring in. It all came crashing down like a house of cards for Leeds. Next year will have its own salary costs to attract fans and it will catch up with the club eventually, like in one season of really bad performances.

But I think you are right in that such a gesture secures memberships because the loyal fans see that the club is willing to secure a big name to round out their squad. But that may just turn game day purchases into memberships. The cream is the bandwagoners and they generally fluctuate based on performance.

Also, we haven't even considered corporate box sales. The club generally doesn't publicise how these sales go but you would expect a jump based on names like Heskey and Del Piero playing in your stadium.

De-Champ
24-09-2012, 04:07 PM
By examing the various revenue streams available and using publicly available information. It's not that hard.

Well you better do your sums again. Depending on who you believe, the club lost anywhere between $3 - $5 million last year. So the extra 5,000 people that you are talking about, together with merchandise sales will nto be breakeven, nowhere near it, particularlry when you add the $1m or thereabouts for Heskey.

hauss
24-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Well you better do your sums again. Depending on who you believe, the club lost anywhere between $3 - $5 million last year. So the extra 5,000 people that you are talking about, together with merchandise sales will nto be breakeven, nowhere near it, particularlry when you add the $1m or thereabouts for Heskey.

Whatever mate. I'm talking about breaking even on the salary cost of a maquee player, not the break even on the club as a whole.

De-Champ
24-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Whatever mate. I'm talking about breaking even on the salary cost of a maquee player, not the break even on the club as a whole.

Even so you will still need more than 5,000, as you are assuming all the "extra" 5,000 are paying customers. I do not know if a 10 year old kid pays to get in, or a 7 year old for example, so to get 5,000 paying customers you may need an extra 6,000 - 8,000 thru' the gate, who knows.

Grunta
24-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Even so you will still need more than 5,000, as you are assuming all the "extra" 5,000 are paying customers. I do not know if a 10 year old kid pays to get in, or a 7 year old for example, so to get 5,000 paying customers you may need an extra 6,000 - 8,000 thru' the gate, who knows.

Lower profit margins on these would be made up on the income from the food their parents have to buy. What is it? $20 for a pie, chips and a can of coke :roflz:

hauss
24-09-2012, 05:10 PM

On the Pro-ticket site everyone above the age of 5 has to pay.

But it's interesting that their pricing for the tickets - the western stand is $35 and everywhere else is $22 for an adult for each and every game.

This is just scandalously low for the Sydney FC games. So maybe the Jets are banking on huge interest in Heskey because you are right, average crowds of 15,000 won't break even for him at these prices. Average profit margin would probably only be about $12. So an extra 3000 people would only bring in $470k, not $780k.

Maybe last year's strategy of low memberships and high match day ticket pricing, and that fact that crowds were only marginally higher than membership numbers affected their pricing strategy. Maybe they want 20,000 crowds.

Still, I would have thought that they would have charged more for the Sydney FC games. That's like rewarding the bandwagoners for staying away.

plague
24-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I don't think the A-League is in any position to start charging a premium for marquee games.
Imagine the can of worms if you charged extra for a Syd game then Del Piero pulled out the day before or something.
There's already talk of him missing the first match in NZ despite the public showing unprecedented interest.

If Syd are sitting him in order to maximize their own value of him 'debuting' against us at home then thats pretty petty.
If he's not ready then no problem, hopefully the boffins at FFA are reminding the clubs of their responsibility to the game as a whole.

Pico
24-09-2012, 05:43 PM
You also have to remember that HSG's strategy from the start was to have large crowds, with cheap memberships subsidised by the corporate sales. A signing like Heskey could very well help to push these corporate sales even higher.

As for the club breaking even, it really depends on the start up cost of the club, then you also have the chance for some of those costs to be absorbed and spread over both clubs now that they are fully merged admin staff and lets face it those figures only came out when the whole hand back the license was happening can they really be trusted as 100% truth, or just greater leverage.

GazFish35
24-09-2012, 06:12 PM
How much is heskey charging for an autograph or photo op?
Maybe that's where they plan to rake in the coin.

Toungue firmly in cheek.

Chadandkira12
24-09-2012, 07:46 PM
When they saud they handed back the licence the supporter gear went for half price I bought another jersey for $50 & I doubt they would of lost money on that they wouldnt sell them for below cost hes lost enough cash on the horses

OmeletteDuFromage
24-09-2012, 08:32 PM
every post this page:

tl;dr

pistolpete
24-09-2012, 08:43 PM
every post this page:

tl;dr

+1. Scrolled down and decided yours was the only one worth reading

Chadandkira12
25-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Was in the supporters store today and the guy said they have sold Hundreds of Heskey jerseys they are printing pretty much all day.and while i was in there they sold 2

hawk
25-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Really? How would anyone know what the break even point is?

My thoughts. Didn't allow for essential expenses to the elite few.

Marcus
26-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Might fly up just to go to the tenzo :blush:

david silva
30-09-2012, 10:27 AM
is this game being televised on sbs?

belchardo
30-09-2012, 04:05 PM
less than a week to go now. woohoo!

Blackmac79
03-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Gatty reporting that Jets officials are predicting a crowd of 15-20k for the Adelaide game.

Hope you active boys have your "Stand up and ****ing sing!" perfected.

Grimario
03-10-2012, 10:25 AM
I won't be standing up and singing. Will you lot in the far corner please shut up and let us enjoy the noise of the game rather than you hooligans singing songs no one can understand? Cheers.

GazFish35
03-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Here we go again.
Have missed the "sing or **** off v sit down shut up"
Remains me of the old "spy v spy" in mad magazine.
http://openbytes.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/spy-vs-spy-without-bombs-775529.jpg

lil_masi
03-10-2012, 10:47 AM
anyone been to today's/yesterdays training sessions? What formations? Who looks to be starting? Observations? Hows Heskey going?

Grimario
03-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Here we go again.
Have missed the "sing or **** off v sit down shut up"
Remains me of the old "spy v spy" in mad magazine.

I won't use "how do you watch the game/the goals getting scored if you are facing the crowd and clapping?" line because I miss a shit load of goals because I am often not watching the play at all and looking at other players positioning and movement off the ball and into space etc. Stupid football and its ability to appeal to different sorts of people.

Jeterpool
03-10-2012, 11:00 AM
anyone been to today's/yesterdays training sessions? What formations? Who looks to be starting? Observations? Hows Heskey going?

Went along for a bit of a look yesterday but only stuck around for 45 minutes or so.

A few observations:
* There were two groups split up at one stage. One group had the likes of Neville, Ritter, Mitchell, Kanta, Griff, Jobe, Goodwin, Heskey. Other group had Ribero, Virgilli, Tiago, Regan, Gallaway, Jesic, Bridges. Basically looked like starting lineup and reserves.
* The majority of the crosses were on the ground and not many hit the target.
* Heskey looks lean and in good physical shape, but his touch was off a little. Still regaining it and will return once he settles in I am sure.
* Emphasis was on knocking it wide and crossing in from one drill. The other drill was a pass and move possession style drill. It was over the other side of the field and tough to see.
* Kanta was playing in a more advanced role.
* Kanta, Griff and Bridges knocked in a few first class finishes.
* Birighitt made some great reflex saves - saved many more than went past him.

Putting two and two together from what I saw and the split up of the groups, the line up will be something along the line up of:

Biri

Neville
Mitchell
Ritter
Goodwin

Jobe
Kanta
Zad

Taggart
Griff
Heskey

Honestly, I don't think GvE will show too many cards at an open training session. Not much to be read into it but a few things I noticed.

david silva
03-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Putting two and two together from what I saw and the split up of the groups, the line up will be something along the line up of:

Biri

Neville
Mitchell
Ritter
Goodwin

Jobe
Kanta
Zad

Taggart
Griff
Heskey

Really? Surprises me..

Jeterpool
03-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Really? Surprises me..

I think so. Maybe he was with the other group - I can't remember.

I wouldn't be suprised to see 3 at the back and Goodwin pushed further forward.

Like I said - I wouldn't expect GvE to give away too much

lil_masi
03-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Went along for a bit of a look yesterday but only stuck around for 45 minutes or so.

A few observations:
* There were two groups split up at one stage. One group had the likes of Neville, Ritter, Mitchell, Kanta, Griff, Jobe, Goodwin, Heskey. Other group had Ribero, Virgilli, Tiago, Regan, Gallaway, Jesic, Bridges. Basically looked like starting lineup and reserves.
* The majority of the crosses were on the ground and not many hit the target.
* Heskey looks lean and in good physical shape, but his touch was off a little. Still regaining it and will return once he settles in I am sure.
* Emphasis was on knocking it wide and crossing in from one drill. The other drill was a pass and move possession style drill. It was over the other side of the field and tough to see.
* Kanta was playing in a more advanced role.
* Kanta, Griff and Bridges knocked in a few first class finishes.
* Birighitt made some great reflex saves - saved many more than went past him.

Biri

Neville
Mitchell
Ritter
Goodwin

Jobe
Kanta
Zad

Taggart
Griff
Heskey

Honestly, I don't think GvE will show too many cards at an open training session. Not much to be read into it but a few things I noticed.

good observations.

Taggart has been very good in pre-season, alot of goals. Happy he is starting.

Disappointed Bernardo prob not starting, interested to see how he goes.

belchardo
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Gatty reporting that Jets officials are predicting a crowd of 15-20k for the Adelaide game.

Hope you active boys have your "Stand up and ****ing sing!" perfected.

just got tickets in GA. numbers 7071 and 7072.

good signs.

Grimario
03-10-2012, 12:44 PM
just got tickets in GA. numbers 7071 and 7072.

good signs.

Would be nice... 10k members, 7000 GA. Wonder if it works like that or if it's entirely random for GA.

militiamon
03-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Taggart has been very good in pre-season, alot of goals. Happy he is starting.

I was about to say the same thing, I've been very impressed with Taggart in pre-season. Ever since the Griff comparison was made I've had a semi for him tbh.

Would be nice... 10k members, 7000 GA. Wonder if it works like that or if it's entirely random for GA.

Yeah, unfortunately I think it's kind of random from memory. I tested it then and it came up with 7062.

MFKS
03-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Sunday October 7
Newcastle Jets v Adelaide United

Kick Off: 3:00pm
Referee: Shaun Evans
Assistant Ref 1: Rod Allen
Assistant Ref 2: Ryan Gallagher
4th Official: Adam Gehrig

Anyone wish to make contributions to a brown paper bag to be given to these blokes before Sunday???:tongue:

GazFish35
03-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Adelaide?

I'm not a fan of Kossie.
He brushed me once at a breakers game.
I'd just discovered he had been signed by arsenal once, as a young lad, this was awesome news.

I since discovered his arenal career was something he probably didn't want some pre-pubescent teen asking him about.

Still reckon he's a prat.

Or are you talking about the ref's

Blackmac79
04-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Playing in behind Heskey in the 4-2-3-1 formation were Ribeiro, Zadkovich and Ryan Griffiths, with Ben Kantarovski and Jobe Wheelhouse anchoring the midfield.

The back four from left to right was Goodwin, Dominik Ritter, Josh Mitchell and Scott Neville.

From today's Herald. Not a bad line up at all.

GazFish35
04-10-2012, 07:15 AM
When do they get back from Tashkent?
Surely their travel will have an impact on their ability to cope with a 3pm kick off.
I expect GVE to send the guys out hard and fast to kill the game off, if that doesn't work, he'll pull them back for a final 15inute bombardment.

timmy_v
04-10-2012, 07:18 AM
They get into Sydney on Friday arvo. Tbh after watching them play last night, they will give us a decent run for the points, but maybe Sundays heat will really slow the game down for both sides.

Retro Jet
04-10-2012, 08:55 AM
When do they get back from Tashkent?
Surely their travel will have an impact on their ability to cope with a 3pm kick off.
I expect GVE to send the guys out hard and fast to kill the game off, if that doesn't work, he'll pull them back for a final 15inute bombardment.

Adelaide are there for the taking.
Emotionally spent and tired after travel, this could be the game that kick starts a new era in Newcastle Football.
Newcatle teams have stumbled a few times with Adelaide 1st game of the season.
Breakers losing 0-2 in 1991 (21years to the day I believe ;)) and as the Jets in 2005 (0-1)
Time to put that hoodoo to rest.
No prisoners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3-0

hauss
04-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Looking forward to seeing no mental lapses in this squad. In the past it seems they've underperformed when they thought an opposing team had an excuse to not play well - due to travel, injuries or suspensions. I've got the feeling that kind of mentality has been ejected from the squad in the offseason.

The league is so tight this year, every game counts.

Jetmaster
04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Our previous efforts against sides we "shoulda beat" is the only thing that concerns me.

If we were playing a full strength Brisbane I would be more confident. As you say this is the time to change that culture.

Winning in Wello and Perth need to happen this season too.

lil_masi
04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
GVE has named a 19 man squad, which is basically everyone. Doesnt really say much bout Sundays team.

Only players not named were, Gallo, Billiante, Reagan and Pepps.

Not sure why Reagan has dropped so far down the pecking order. Also not much of Pepps in pre-season.

lil_masi
04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Weather forecast for Sunday is showers and windy! I hope they're wrong, and it doesnt effect the crowd!

russjaybee
04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Weather is perfect atm, makes sense that it would turn to shit for the weekend. Brace yourselves for a sub 10k crowd.

plague
04-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Prediction:
Awesome weather. 15,500 crowd. We will play good passing, pressure, score no goals. Give one up from defense/mistake and another from set piece.
Crowd goes home, letters to herald count down til Knights kickoff next year.
Normal service resumed.

david silva
04-10-2012, 03:41 PM
4-0 win

plague
04-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm not a fan of Kossie.
He brushed me once at a breakers game.
I'd just discovered he had been signed by arsenal once, as a young lad, this was awesome news.

Still reckon he's a prat.

got to know a couple of the owners from the old Breakers days over the years. One used to talk about the time they sacked Kossie and he hadn't seen him since.

Next time they crossed paths was on the way home from the 2006WC the ex owner got sat right across the aisle from Kossie.
In his words "an uncomfortable 24hrs".

hawk
04-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Adelaide are there for the taking.
Emotionally spent and tired after travel, this could be the game that kick starts a new era in Newcastle Football.
3-0

exzachary. If we cant win this then...

Grimario
04-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Not sure why Reagan has dropped so far down the pecking order.

Because he is a no nonsense defender, not a silky smooth passer of the ball from the back. Think Paul Okon vs (the reality of) Lucas Neil (not what Neil thinks he is).

q-money
04-10-2012, 05:50 PM
rain, squalls and low tempz please

belchardo
04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
rain, squalls and low tempz please

will suit heskey.

De-Champ
04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
got to know a couple of the owners from the old Breakers days over the years. One used to talk about the time they sacked Kossie and he hadn't seen him since.

Next time they crossed paths was on the way home from the 2006WC the ex owner got sat right across the aisle from Kossie.
In his words "an uncomfortable 24hrs".

Kossie was not sacked by the Breakers. When his contract expired it was not renewed.

MFKS
04-10-2012, 07:45 PM

There are only 3 games we need to win this season
Rd 3 - Rd 10 and Rd 17.

If we win these 3 I will be incredibly happy even if we lose every other game this season .

Winning in Rd 17 and putting it over the Gypo disease on their own patch is worth another 20 years of 4-5 goal thumpings every time we land in Wellington or Perth I might offer.

How I long for the days I have to wait on Gosford train Station for the train trip home with 3 points in the bag and giving it to those inbred fools. The last one was too long ago. FFS we have only ever won once at Shitounge in 13 REAL ATTEMPTS. Not ****ing good enough and a stat that needs to be rectified to 2 and 14 come Rd 17 January 19th 2013

Retro Jet
04-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Kossie was not sacked by the Breakers. When his contract expired it was not renewed.

And Harry James' throat said "Amen to that!"

plague
04-10-2012, 11:01 PM

If that's how you read it then cool. I stand by what I've been told.
6 of one, half dozen of another etc etc.

plague
05-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Have just been informed by a friend that, after finally getting season tickets again after not being bothered for 3 years, that he won't be going to the first game this Sunday.

He's going to sit at home and watch Bathurst.

Blackmac79
05-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Need new Friends.

GazFish35
05-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Get his ticket off him, and take someone else that might not have already been going.

Jeterpool
05-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Have just been informed by a friend that, after finally getting season tickets again after not being bothered for 3 years, that he won't be going to the first game this Sunday.

He's going to sit at home and watch Bathurst.

:sigh:

snake
05-10-2012, 09:15 AM
carn holden

q-money
05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
holdens shit on fords

plague
05-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Get his ticket off him, and take someone else that might not have already been going.

Don't worry, his missus, dad and in laws (who all got tix together) are still going. They will fill the seat.

Caaarrrrnnnn Holdens though.

Other teams call us Bogans don't they?
Why is that again?

q-money
05-10-2012, 09:55 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/643918_416609085062068_1831126176_n.jpg

MFKS
05-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Lets prey for some absolute belter weather this Sunday. Just went outside into the midday Newy heat and thought about how uncomfortable it will be sitting in the Eastern Stand Sunday at 3pm if this weather keeps up. Then I remembered the Adelaide team are flying half way across the planet after extra time to play a well rested Newy side.

Hopefully it is 40.C and we all have to suffer watching the game in the heat just so the Pissants can be applied the blowtorch of the heat whilst trying to overcome their jet lag and travel schedule against Newy's finest

Prayers out to Lord Griff to Turn Up the Sun

Jetmaster
05-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Sunday forecast looking almost perfect by 3pm....

Sunday 7 October

Mostly sunny. The chance of showers, contracting to the coastal fringe early in the morning and clearing during the afternoon. Winds west to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h turning south to southeasterly during the day. Overnight temperatures falling to between 10 and 15 with daytime temperatures reaching 21 to 26.

russjaybee
05-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Fox Sports football commentator Mel McLaughlin previews round one of 2012-2013 A-League season (http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/fox-sports-football-commentator-mel-mclaughlin-previews-round-one-of-2012-2013-a-league-season/story-e6frf4gl-1226489213197#ixzz28OnetGfb)

Key Quote...

Why you should watch this game:
The atmosphere at Newcastle home games is unreal - I don’t think enough people know just how good an experience it is there, and I definitely think it’s played a role in their success over the years.

:wub:

Hamma12
05-10-2012, 03:50 PM
daytime temperatures reaching 21 to 26.
Glad its meant to be cooler then the last few days..

Mitchy would be stoked

Blackmac79
05-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Ian Fyfe and fabian Barbiero have been suspended for the match.

scarfy96
05-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Hopefully it is 40.C and we all have to suffer watching the game in the heat just so the Pissants can be applied the blowtorch of the heat whilst trying to overcome their jet lag and travel schedule against Newy's finest

Would probably guarantee no more than a cameo from Hesky if that is the case. Short on match fitness and used to playing English winters, 40 degrees would pull him up in 15 minutes.

plague
05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Would rather weather be perfect. That means we can run all day Adelaide won't keep up. If its 40 then everyone will get tired and no one scores better crap goals than Adelaide.
Remember, we've got good engines all over the park now.

Jeterpool
05-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Ian Fyfe and fabian Barbiero have been suspended for the match.

Wondered if that would apply now they're out

hawk
06-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Would rather weather be perfect. That means we can run all day Adelaide won't keep up. If its 40 then everyone will get tired and no one scores better crap goals than Adelaide.
Remember, we've got good engines all over the park now.

cmon the rain

Vandenberg13
07-10-2012, 07:33 AM
gameday baby!

07-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Heskey to score and silence the knockers. Jets 3 Kossie and co zip.

GazFish35
07-10-2012, 08:45 AM
What's the weather like?

Hamma12
07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
What's the weather like?

Cool,Not a cloud in da sky perfecft football weather

Superdylan
07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Feels like a long time ago since I've been to hunter stadium for a Sunday afternoon game.

I hope we get a decent attendance this afternoon anything over 15,000 will be good.

MFKS
07-10-2012, 09:46 AM
What about all those Knights games you go to?? Not counting them???

Superdylan
07-10-2012, 09:50 AM
What about all those Knights games you go to?? Not counting them???

They only had 1 afternoon game this year at hunter stadium (I was away for that, only match I missed at home too).

MFKS
07-10-2012, 09:57 AM
They only had 1 afternoon game this year at hunter stadium (I was away for that, only match I missed at home too).

I can safely tell you when I was last at Stade de Newy. Final home match against Brisbane Roar last season. Tiago giving away pens to **** over the Gypos. Don't see any need to be there whilst inferior sports are being played.

Can tell you the next time I will be there and that will be in about 5 hours time.

Can't ****ing wait

furns
07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Memo to bay 2 attendees: Sing or **** off to bay 3 please

RedMexican
07-10-2012, 10:20 AM

:yay::yay:

Jetmaster
07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Gameday - yewww, farken, and all that.......

:yay:

plague
07-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Caaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrmnnnnnnnn

Thomas477
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM

And don't whine about the odd swear that may be emitted towards Boogard.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Heskey to score and silence the knockers. Jets 3 Kossie and co zip.

RubeZ, Heskey and Goodwin to all score. 3-0 or better.

Off to the train station, yewwwwwwwwww.

The Dunster
07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Two hours to go until Kick-off.

militiamon
07-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Adam Tagalog to score ---> hammalanche

plague
07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Deans to cost us the match.
Deans out.

Thomas477
07-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Birghitti starting.

Team is:
Neville
Mitchell
Ritter
Kanta
Zad
Jobe
Heskey
RyGriff
Taggart
Goodwin
Birghitti.

Subs:
BK
Chapman
Bridges
Virgilli

Skirt Boy
07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I've woken up at 5am to watch this ****ing thing.

Fire up you ****s!

Muswellbrookian
07-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I've woken up at 5am to watch this ****ing thing.

Fire up you ****s!

Same. Though a bit concerned that all I'm getting is static through the online radio. F*cking technology....

Skirt Boy
07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
****ing GVE out!

Muswellbrookian
07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Rof, down within the first minute of the season. Normal service, etc....

Grimario
07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Ffs.

OmeletteDuFromage
07-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Im going to make a new YouTube account and upload games again guys. Expect something mid week.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm confused. Massive hoof from kick off and some long kicks from birra. Aren't we playing on the deck this year?

Muswellbrookian
07-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Im going to make a new YouTube account and upload games again guys. Expect something mid week.

Thanks so much Omelette, would really appreciate that! Your uploads last season were quality.

Muswellbrookian
07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm confused. Massive hoof from kick off and some long kicks from birra. Aren't we playing on the deck this year?

Certainly doesn't sound like there's much passing football going on.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
**** football.

OmeletteDuFromage
07-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I hope he never referees again.

Muswellbrookian
07-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Obviously without video I'm not really qualified to comment, but sounds like the same old Jets on the radio coverage. Can't wait to see some footage of these comedy capers.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Thought Ritter was done just then, dead set looked like his Achilles was gone from up here in the shade.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Also, birra was shit before the send off. Can't believe I want bk back.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Where is this great off the bal movement I heard so much of? Where is the quick passing and all that shit?

Leaving early, first time ever (but missus is finished work and waiting outside and in a filthy mood (though not as shit as mine, perhaps)).

DEANS OUT.

We are awful.

Muswellbrookian
07-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Not surprised at all by the scoreline, to be honest. You don't win trophies with kids and a couple of old blokes. Also, still maintain we should have signed Vidosic when he was free and we opted to bring Bridges out of retirement instead.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Leaving early, first time ever (but missus is finished work and waiting outside and in a filthy mood (though not as shit as mine, perhaps)).

Never mind, she is only leaving work now. means i Get to watch the end of this crap.

boz-monaut
07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
seriously, these cunce are paid to do a job and not be shitcunce and this is how they behave

discrace, utter disgrace

six months waiting for this shit - **** all of you, **** everything

westjet
07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
we didn't play well, but if that is a standard of ref we will get all season its going to be a long season. terrible send off and miss 3 handballs in the box embarrassing debut from him.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
old man Bridges did more in 15 minutes than Headley did the entire game. ref was shit but most jets were worse. birra can **** off, bring back bk. goodwin, bridges and virgili only ones with any credit from today.

Skirt Boy
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
****ing Weimar could beat the Jets the way they played today.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM
****ing phone. Should say Heskey not Headley

wonder how many of the 14k will be regulars if that's how we are going to play this year. Fmd.

Bec
07-10-2012, 05:14 PM
That was crap..We were so slow and boring

Thomas477
07-10-2012, 05:31 PM

This.

That was crap..We were so slow and boring

And this.

I hope he never referees again.

For his first game, he ****ed up completely.

Pico
07-10-2012, 05:35 PM
So Wheelhouse and Kanta in the mids, opposition will be well happy no need to worry about any balls to the strikers, Birra is shit long live BK!

How many times did Ryu have to waive his arms around, bloke looked like he was bringing in some hornets at williamtown with the arm work he was displaying and still couldn't get a quick ball out to him.

Grimario
07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Ok, home.

If that is GvE's gameplan in action, we are in for a long horrific season.

true waterboy
07-10-2012, 05:50 PM
didnt see the game but can only assume we need more of mitch cooper

moses
07-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Ivanhoe did what many thought he would do in his first match, not much. Sure to get better i spose.
Don't know where we stand after that effort because Adelaide looked shithouse as well.

militiamon
07-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Deans to cost us the match.
Deans out.

Picked it from the start plague, well done.

There were some major ****-ups with how we went into this match, very poor calls from GVE, but the fact that the team were playing like idiots didn't help. Get rid of this back-three nonsense, it didn't work against WS in pre-season, no surprise that it failed today. Bring back Reegz, bring back Pepz, bring back BK.

Heskey should've started from the bench, I thought he did well but he clearly hasn't been integrated into the team. Jaw dropped a bit when we started hitting long balls at him, that was friggen retarded shit that I have not seen in a long time.

seldom
07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
couldnt griff and taggart swap sides occasionly...I mean even the dumbest defender knows they'll cut inside onto their strong foot 99% of the time.And what happened to the high press, seemed only Rubes was switched on. And where's Ribs is he injured ?

hawk
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM

hot air continues

northern_swan
07-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Am I the only one who thought Goodwin was horrible? His ability to turn the ball over to the opposition was immense.

RedMexican
07-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah. Active support yeah

Schultz
07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Bloody borin' wa'n it!

militiamon
07-10-2012, 06:55 PM
At least we gave it to Carrusca.

stopper2
07-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Scoreline wasn't a true reflection of the game. Overall the signs are there that we have a better side than last season. With James Brown to come back and Heskey a few weeks away from match fitness plus Bernardo to come into the mix I believe we have a side which will be pushing for the top four.....not the bottom four this season. Virgilli has improved out of sight in the last 12 months and is starting to finally look like he belongs in the HAL. Not a good start to the season but honestly none of the teams have exactly set the world on fire in the opening round have they?

Retro Jet
07-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Scoreline wasn't a true reflection of the game. Overall the signs are there that we have a better side than last season. With James Brown to come back and Heskey a few weeks away from match fitness plus Bernardo to come into the mix I believe we have a side which will be pushing for the top four.....not the bottom four this season. Virgilli has improved out of sight in the last 12 months and is starting to finally look like he belongs in the HAL. Not a good start to the season but honestly none of the teams have exactly set the world on fire in the opening round have they?

I thought Fart looked pretty good.....

Bremsstrahlung
07-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Highlight = Heskey's hit on the keeper.

(I've seen people sent for less, given the performance today, it wouldn't have surprised me. haha)

david silva
07-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Too many trials against shitty opposition . Just because a formation/plan works against an nbn state league side, doesn't mean it will work against an a-league side

Thomas477
07-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Am I the only one who thought Goodwin was horrible? His ability to turn the ball over to the opposition was immense.

Disagree completely. I thought he played brilliantly in the first half. Was a lot quieter in the second.

Also, I think GvE main **** up was playing 3 at the back. Sure it worked alright against WSW, but against a team with 2 speedy wingers it gave them a lot of space. And then when we didn't have the ball our "pressing" game involved waiting until they were in our 18 and going "oh shit".

Roar will kill us if we play like we did today. Although I'm confident we should be able to beat Sydney, just.

07-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Long season ahead if we can't come up with a way to work the ball up the park.

A very impotent attacking effort today. For all Adelaide has been through with travel etc we should have made easy work of them.

parksey
07-10-2012, 08:23 PM
go the jets

MFKS
07-10-2012, 08:44 PM
How ****ing good was that???

Woke up this morning in the palatial Kotara Sth abode with tingles going thru the body. Footballs back baby

Park the chariot over near Harker Oval and kit up. Walking across the park with the head held high, chest out, scarf around neck highly excited as todays the day after 6 month wait. That's what being a supporter is all about.

It is also about dealing with the emotions that come with the game such as 3 hours later walking through said park with shoulders slumped head staring at ground cursing that the cockhead refs mother hadn't of giving the refs old man a blowy the night he was conceived and also absolutely shattered by what I had just endured.

But hey it's on again next week. Put the razor blades down. I just watched the replay.

All that it was no champagne and caviar performance we weren't that ****ing bad.

Momentary **** up in the first min when Kanta didn't track his man and a goal down. Worst possible start and to give Adelaide a sniff we were always gonna be in a bit of bother. This rattled us and it took us about 10 mins to settle. After that we were a little flat in the front third, the ball movement wasn't quick enough but we dominated the 1st half 60% of possession with most of it in Adelaides half. Sure there wasn't many clear cut chances but it weren't our day. The ball dropped in the wrong spot a couple of times and a couple of our blokes were a little slow off the mark. All in all despite the scoreline we were pretty much in control in the first half. Adelaides only efforts outside of the goal came from a free kick shot and a Zadko like attempted miracle goal. Nothing to panic about.
Second half we started well and were looking like we had sorted a few of our issues. 10 mins in the send off comes. As soon as that happened we were pretty much gone. Admittedly it was only now that the piss ants got on the ball. Not long after they got the 2nd and game set and match. To give our blokes credit they could have thrown in the ****ing towel but they didn't. They pushed on and tried to get a goal. Numerous penalty appeals were denied by the ref guide dog but that's how it goes somedays.

Swings and roundabouts and all that shit. Just remember that we are due a couple of paybacks from the FFA or that may have been the payback that we had to have after the HSG pull out fiasco.

Our blokes busted their arses today, the bounce of the ball deserted them, the refs call went against them. So what it happens. Next week its on again like donkey kong

Also congrats to Plague for prematurely calling the Deans influence. Well done Plague

Also congrats to GVE on his tactical masterstroke and finally having a reserve keeper on the bench. After the shenanigans in the NBN State League it was good to see a team representing the Newy Jets actually have a reserve keeper on the subs bench for the inevitable send off. On that who the **** is responsible for this wave of Keeper send offs involving the club. Most logical suspect would be the goal keeping coach. But FFS Bobby Catlin never came out of his box once when playing for the Breakers or Newy Utd. He couldn't run that fast and he wouldn't run point blank. So if it ain't Catlin teaching these blokes who the **** is it???

Must be Craig Deans

Jetmaster
07-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Our previous efforts against sides we "shoulda beat" is the only thing that concerns me.

If we were playing a full strength Brisbane I would be more confident. As you say this is the time to change that culture.

My fears came home to roost....I do have several questions...

Why no BK ? That point was proven.
Why a back three ? GVE tried that against Beijing a while back and we got royally raped then - bring back Tiago or Reags. First game is not the time to experiment.
Why was left footed Griff on the right side ?
Why did we not play a number 10 ? Brown is out and if not Ribiero, then Bridges shoulda started as he has more ability in his pubes than anyone else at the Jets.
Why did the team with new personnel look exactly the same as the last few teams ?

Oh...........and........... fark !!!!

And Rubez looking stoked at getting a 6 months cinema pass !!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=***932451087295&set=a.210049632342247.64572.207259542621256&type=1&theater

plague
07-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Sorry to say it but Kanta's woes continue. The lad looks so low on confidence. Such an important position for GVE's system yet his accuracy and pace with his passing was really poor today. Im not sure what Pepper has done wrong or if hes hurt but he would probably be the only change id make for round 2 (if we are playing the same way).
I really thought Goodwin, Griffiths and Rubes were the pick. Dont think we were THAT bad, but we lost and that sucks.

all in all another classic Deans performance, what other result did we expect?

pistolpete
07-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Its time for Kanta to step up from a kid with potential to a man with skill. Otherwise he needs to go

q-money
07-10-2012, 09:43 PM
only the jets can ruin their season in 57 seconds. how good

the_butcher
07-10-2012, 09:47 PM

How was this proven? If your referring to biraz send off I can't see how it's his fault. Mitchell(?) ****ed up getting caught with the ball as the last man, reds run through, biraz charges out making himself big, ball hits his chest and ricochets onto his arm. Great goalkeeping, just unlucky that the ref got it wrong.

Jetmaster
07-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Did he look confident at all to you up to that moment ? I felt safer once BK was in goal tbh - IMHO.

toad
07-10-2012, 09:56 PM
toad's player ratings:

Birighitti 4
Neville 8
Mitchell 3
Ritter 6
Goodwin 7
Kantarovski 6
Wheelhouse 4
Griffiths 7
Zadkovich 8
Taggart 6
Heskey 6

BK 7
Bridges 5
Virgili 7

toad
07-10-2012, 09:59 PM
p.s. when the keeper comes out of his area with his arms extended like an albatross and the ball ricochets off him, the ref is going to give a red 9 times out of 10.
don't think we can blame the ref for that one tbh.

the_butcher
07-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Did he look confident at all to you up to that moment ? I felt safer once BK was in goal tbh - IMHO.

I don't remember ever being worried about him. I didn't really think he had much to do. I do remember holding my breath when bk came on and got caught in no mans land when that ball was put through along the ground towards the back post.

MFKS
07-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Bang on toad with a few of them there Toad. Neville was pretty good and I was impressed. Zadko ran his guts out all day shame he didn't run with his man who laid on the 2nd goal. Zadko just stood still for a change!!!

Disagree with Ritter's rating. No way was he on the same level as Kantarovski Taggart and Heskey. Ritter had a better game than those 3 put together. Goodwin was good though his final ball leaves room for improvement and no way does BK warrant a 7 for his efforts. Done **** all

Kanta should be much lower like -3 and Heskey was a disappointment in a lot of ways and 6 is a little generous

Waspy
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
NBN news reported last night that Bk had a slight injury.

the_butcher
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
p.s. when the keeper comes out of his area with his arms extended like an albatross and the ball ricochets off him, the ref is going to give a red 9 times out of 10.

I don't really blame him either although I do think he got it wrong. Goalkeepers are taught to make themselves big like that. Was clearly Mitchell's fault for losing the ball anyway. If the ref had played on u would have been talking about what a great save it was.

Retro Jet
07-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Lowlights
A goal to the P!ssants in 1st minute (obvious)
Getting sprayed on my back with tomato sauce. q-? Napisan+ worked a treat on my Goldie. Dunno about your white number though....
No finding G/Fish...still owe you that $6 dude.
Waiting till the 71st minute for a real shot on goal....ffs.
That cold wind...brrrrrrrrr

Highlights
The dog-fight between the 2 small birds of prey in the 1st half over the Eastern stand. Anyone else spot that? (Looked like Nankeen Kestrals)
Poppa and Ante Milicic sitting behind us in Bay 1 then shifting into the sun in front of us. Got a snap of Ante's note book. I'll try to decipher it and
send it to GvE for ideas.........
The 'Heskey's Bitch' song.
Stadium vid staff replaying the send off offence....multiple times......ooops...
Going on the field.

MFKS
07-10-2012, 10:07 PM
I will blame him because he got it ****ing wrong. At the time of the incident he had just had his view obscured by Ritter running past. Then the ball contacted Birraz a fraction of a second later. Ref would have seen Ritters back and then all of a sudden the view became clear and bang the handball decision. The ref had a big decision to make and he guessed. He also got it ****ing wrong like most of his other calls all day.

I honestly don't think he has seen it at all and has had a split second to make his mind up and had to guess

seldom
07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
what's the go with ritter droppin like a sack of potatoes,rollin round in agony,leavin the field for 20 secs then comin back on like nuffin happened :blush:

toad
07-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Member: agree that ritter had a decent game. i had actually taken a point off him because i thought that it was him out of position for the first goal, but having watched the replay actually it was mitchell. make it mitchell 2 and ritter 7 :)

kanta had a pretty decent first half i thought - definitely in out top couple of players. his second half was honking though.

taggart i thought was actually giving more run than most of the others.

heskey: maybe i was a little generous but i liked the way he got up and won some of those headers in the middle of the park, and he showed determination on occasion.

for next week's game i'd probably bring in reagan for mitchell and ribiero (sp?) for wheelhouse.

plague
07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't really blame him either although I do think he got it wrong. Goalkeepers are taught to make themselves big like that. Was clearly Deans' fault for losing the ball anyway. If the ref had played on u would have been talking about what a great save it was.

Fixed

Superdylan
07-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey Timmy who won the Emile heskey shirt?

Positives of today the tenzo and that's about all

What a blur that 90 minutes was

Cannot even remember Adelaide scoring their first goal

Have come home straight after the game for a 5 hour sleep (catching up on last night)

MFKS
07-10-2012, 10:28 PM
what's the go with ritter droppin like a sack of potatoes,rollin round in agony,leavin the field for 20 secs then comin back on like nuffin happened :blush:

Watched the replay of it when I got home coz I was baffled with it too. Thought he had done an Achilles tendon the way he went down. Replayed showed I think it was Djite innocuously step on his foot/ankle whilst the pair were running. Ritter got about 4 more paces in before the pain kicked in that's why the dramatic pull up.

Most other blokes would have felt it straight away and collapsed like a bag of potatoes but not our Dom. Tried running it off for a bit and when that didn't work then went down

MFKS
07-10-2012, 10:31 PM
kanta had a pretty decent first half i thought - definitely in out top couple of players. his second half was honking though.

Kanta was probably most responsible for the first goal. Let Vidosic run in goal side of him. What was worse about it was he was marking him initially and had full view of what Vidosic was doing. Ball watching at it's finest. I will beg to differ on his contribution in the first half. No run, No dribble, No creativity No value.

la bazzle
07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Birighitti 9
Neville 5
Mitchell 1
Ritter 9
Goodwin 5 (didn't realise his hair was so terrible)
Kantarovski -1
Wheelhouse 4
Griffiths 6
Zadkovich 2
Taggart 10
Heskey 9.5

BK 12
Bridges 2
Virgili 4

Superdyl for the bandaid incident 10000000. Worst thing I've ever seen

pistolpete
07-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Superdyl for the bandaid incident 10000000. Worst thing I've ever seen

I saw Butch attempting to put a bandaid on him? I was wondering wtf was going on

Superdylan
07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
I saw Butch attempting to put a bandaid on him? I was wondering wtf was going on

Dunno even know I even cut my finger open tbh

la bazzle
07-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Toe bandaid.... Fuking lolololol

q-money
07-10-2012, 10:53 PM
I hear that one I.ramsay was quite I.rate at one la.baz for a sustained barrage of chatter, goal celebraton was quite hilarious. well done baz

la baz - 15

mega lol at SD's bandaid, almost vommed when told the full story

GazFish35
07-10-2012, 11:01 PM
[B]No finding G/Fish...still owe you that $6 dude.

haha!
If I remebered you owe me, I'd have come say g'day.
I was hiding from the sun today. bit crook from sunstroke.

Thomas477
07-10-2012, 11:36 PM

Why a back three ? GVE tried that against Beijing a while back and we got royally raped then - bring back Tiago or Reags. First game is not the time to experiment.
Why was left footed Griff on the right side ?
Why did we not play a number 10 ? Brown is out and if not Ribiero, then Bridges shoulda started as he has more ability in his pubes than anyone else at the Jets.
Why did the team with new personnel look exactly the same as the last few

BK obviously hadn't impressed GvE in the preseason. I don't care what his form was last season, that was 6 months ago.
Agree, the back three was strange, especially given Vidosic and Ramsey.
GvE seems to employ my tactics on fifa and put them on opposing flanks so they HAVE to cut in.
Formation didn't have space for one.
Dunno.

furns
07-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I hear that one I.ramsay was quite I.rate at one la.baz for a sustained barrage of chatter, goal celebraton was quite hilarious. well done baz

la baz - 15

mega lol at SD's bandaid, almost vommed when told the full story+1

Jets number 1 fan bringing the lolz

MFKS
07-10-2012, 11:47 PM
I dunno what all this hate is for the back 3. It didn't cost us the game. We were defensively quite sound with it in the first half despite the 1 goal which was only down to Kanta ball watching. Second half was sound until the send off. After the send off came it is pretty hard to take any perspective on our back 3 as the dynamics of the game changed and allowed Adelaide more possession than they had previously been earning

Once the send off came don't think GVE got our tactics right as we then seemed to lose the control in midfield we had. For some reason it was like we lost a man in this area when it may have made more sense to lose 1 up front.

Was also baffled as to why Taggz was taken off and Heskey was left on. Even with 11 men I wouldn't have expected Heskey to last the full 90 and would most likely of expected him to go for 60-70 mins. When an outfield player needed to be sacrificed for the reserve keeper why was a bloke taken off that would have had the engines to run all day yet a bloke who only lasted 10 mins more left on???

Would have made more logical sense to get Heskey off earlier than expected and left Taggz on

GazFish35
07-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Found this from a few weeks ago!
What a headline.... Bozza speaks the truth.
Poor Eugene.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/bozza-warns-goalkeepers-imminent-jets-signing-heskey-coming-to-get-you/story-fn63e0vj-1226477553000

Bozza warns goalkeepers: imminent Jets signing Heskey coming to get you
BY: RAY GATT From: The Australian September 20, 2012 12:00AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
FORMER Socceroo Mark Bosnich has hailed Newcastle's imminent signing of veteran English striker Emile Heskey as fantastic for Australian football, but warned goalkeepers and defenders they will be in for a rugged time.

While reports suggest the former Leicester City, Liverpool, Aston Villa and England international has already signed with the Jets, The Australian understands he has yet to put pen to paper and that it will not happen until he has passed a medical in the next couple of days.

Heskey, 34, is believed to have agreed to a $1 million deal to link with the Jets that will see him join Sydney FC's Alessandro Del Piero as the most prominent player in the national competition.

Troy Palmer, chief executive of Nathan Tinkler's Hunter Sports Group - owner of the Jets - and football manager Robbie Middleby are on their way back from England following negotiations with Heskey.

Once the medical is complete, Heskey will travel to Australia for a formal signing of his contract.

Bosnich, who played against Heskey in England, and another former Socceroo, Craig Moore, believe the striker will be a hit in the A-League.

"It's fantastic news following on from the signing of Alessandro Del Piero," Bosnich said.

"It's another feather in the cap for the A-League. He'll bring a lot to the Jets and to the game in general. I don't think he ever scored against me, but you might have to check that.

"But he was big and strong and could hold the ball up well and bring other players into the game.

"He is not nice to play against and I don't say that in a nasty or derogatory way.

"But if you are a goalkeeper or defender then he is really going to be a handful.

"I remember you would look down the team sheet of the opposition and when you saw his name you knew, as a goalkeeper or a defender, you were going to be in for a hard time."

Moore believes Heskey still has plenty to offer despite the striker being released by Villa at the end of last season.

"I think it is a good thing for the Jets and the A-League," Moore said. "He is someone who has played in three World Cups ... a player with a wealth of knowledge and experience."

But Moore warned that Heskey, who has been the butt of many jokes in England because of his unflattering goalscoring record, would need to get good service from the Jets players. "Emile Heskey, no matter where he has played in his career, has thrived on what service he can get," he said.

"For Newcastle to do well and for us to see the best of him, the build-up play and the service, as for any striker but for him in particular, is going to be crucial."

Despite 18 years as a professional in England, Heskey has generally struggled for recognition. In 546 club games he managed just 117 goals and scored only seven in 62 games for England.

parksey
07-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Mitchell had a pretty terrible game; Goodwin had a great game I thought even if his new hair cut is dubious at best; GvE blowing up in the post-match interview. We're back.

furns
08-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Normal service has resumed people

All those acting surprised on how today turned out clearly haven't been watching the previous 7 seasons ffs

Jeterpool
08-10-2012, 07:18 AM
A few of the players from yesterday should be worried for their spot next week.

Even though he was only on for a short time, Virgilli showed more in that short time than a few of the others. I would start him next week.

Ribero needs to come into that midfield as well.

Zad was the only one who should walk into next weeks team. Great performance and the only one who contantly kept up the pressure and running.

leftrightout
08-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Mitchell had to be the worst out there today!
The amount of times he f*cked up with the ball at his feet is incredible!

Was anyone else getting the shits with the short free kicks when the player receiving the ball was being marked? I know we are all about possession these days but that send of incident is a prime example of why sometimes its just not on.
Mitchell has the ball, short free kick left to goodwin (i think), mitchell receives it straight back and has no idea what to do with the thing, takes 2 touches, gets the ball stollen and adelaide were away!
Surely professional footballer can see when playing a short free kick isnt on...?

Jeterpool
08-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Mitchell had to be the worst out there today!
The amount of times he f*cked up with the ball at his feet is incredible!

Was anyone else getting the shits with the short free kicks when the player receiving the ball was being marked? I know we are all about possession these days but that send of incident is a prime example of why sometimes its just not on.
Mitchell has the ball, short free kick left to goodwin (i think), mitchell receives it straight back and has no idea what to do with the thing, takes 2 touches, gets the ball stollen and adelaide were away!
Surely professional footballer can see when playing a short free kick isnt on...?

Free kicks and set pieces were generally poor yesterday. We rarely hit the target.

The one positive I took from yesterday's game was that even though we were down to 10 men, we continued to push forward and looked like we could snatch a goal before the final ball went astray.

I felt the ref was giving adelaide a number of soft free kicks yesterday and that he got some critical calls wrong. The touch line official in front of the western stand was the same we had a number of times last year - he is continually caught out of position and is 5 - 10m behind play at times, resulting in us missing out on offside calls. I wouldn't be a touchy, but he certainly doesn't help us. I hope we don't get him for many games.

plague
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Normal service has resumed people

All those acting surprised on how today turned out clearly haven't been watching the previous 7 seasons ffs

Driving home yesterday out of nowhere the sky just fell right down and smashed my car. Did quite a bit of damage this time, it's happened a few times before (generally after a loss).
Off to the panel beaters today to get it fixed.

Thomas477
08-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Anyone know why Jobe was taking corners? Hes never been a dead ball specialist and surely we have someone better in the squad?

plague
08-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Also, I see it as a bit of an improvement. I like Vidosic, think he should be in the national team.
It was a much more pleasant experience getting scored on by him rather than Carl Veart, that bloke was a massive douche.

The Dunster
08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Our defence is poor, we lack creativity in the midfield, and as a result our forwards don't get the service they require to score goals.

Other than that I think GVE is doing a wonderful job.

I cannot see us avoiding the spoon let alone making the finals.

hauss
08-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Not sure what to take out of the game. Its a bit hard to heap a whole heap of criticism on the players when the conditions aren't perfect. Though it concerned me that they didn't seem capable of keeping the ball on the grass. I am glad that Birghitti is forced to have a rest though. He didn't impress me at all, even before the send off.

Bridges was class when he came on. It is a shame he doesn't get more game time, or can't play more than a super-sub role.The attack had more purpose when he came on. Bernardo needs to step up, if he is capable. Vidosic showed us up for a lack of a decent no 10.

Jury is still well and truly out. All I got out of that game was how bloody fantastic it is to kick the ball around on a professional pitch with my kids. Thanks Jets for that opportunity.

De-Champ
08-10-2012, 10:08 AM
One of the worst games, the only time the Jets created something of a goal scoring chance, was Virgili's two shots when he came on. If you can't beat a team who just got back into the country on Friday, after playing an extra time match midweek....... But that is not the problem, you can lose to anyone, even a shit team, the problem I see is that during the whole game the Jets did not have one decent chance at scoring. Virgili's two shots?? If that is the best we can do, its going to be a long hard season. I'm afraid Dunster is correct.
The only positive from the game is that it is only one game, maybe the jets just had a bad day.

russjaybee
08-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Defence looked really shaky, very very worrying. As others stated Mitchell didn't look comfortable at all, had a poor game.

Interesting to see some people rate zad so highly and condemn goodwin for giving away the ball too much. I thought he did well in places to beat his defender out wide then held on to it for far too long.
I found my self frustrated as hell at zad turning away from his team mates and in to a mess several times during the game. He still tries to do too much and needs to play the simple pass more often.

I thought taggart and goodwin did a lot of great running, and was actually pleasantly surprised at taggarts performance as I was ready for him to be really really poor, he was ok.
Although they're both pretty small kids, they use their bodies well to hold of the defender etc. Goodwin will score goals this season.

Ryan was really anonymous in this match, though that's probably got a lot to do with his lack of service etc. Only really saw him threaten once in the game in the second half when he bursted up the middle and almost beat a defender.

Heskey looked alright, especially when you consider how poorly we were using in. On one hand you have the situation where some retard (not sure who) put a through ball to him on the right rather than to his feet? He's not a runner.
Then he also seemed to have a "Josh Kennedy's Socceroos" effect on the team, where we were attempting to hoof it to him from ridiculous positions. There were glimpses of where Heskey can be used when he attempted a couple of first time lay off's to people when the ball was fed to him on the edge of the box. GvE needs to get this kind of wall pass shiz going. Our mids should be looking to feeding it to his feet then goodwin etc overlapping.

Bridges looked alright when he came on, made a few nice passes etc, looked keen to make something happen.

Overall I think the team looked really unfit as well. I know we had a man sent, but Adelaide looked a lot fresher than us and when you consider we had more possession as well it's not too good. Do we have a strength and conditioning coach?

We were lacking something in the middle of the park. Rubez would often go wide and he's not the type of guy to receive the ball and quickly make that incisive pass. Kanta and Wheelhouse looked content in playing the "holding" role and never really offering any impetus going forward. Maybe ribero needs to be in there? Actually we desperately need James Brown back.

It's not all doom and gloom, we had quite a bit of possession. We seriously need to sort out the defensive unit (including GK).

The more things change the more they stay the same?

PS Ref was f*cking dogshit.

LINGERA
08-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I am a newcastle supported but when i checked the odds for the game on sat night Adelaide were paying $3.20!! had to get on that, FREE MONEY!

BodyNovo
08-10-2012, 11:04 AM
at the start of the year i was actually hoping that our back four (before this nonsense about a back 3 came in) would be neville, regan, chapman, goodwin/ritter.

regan was our best cb last year when called upon and when you watch them train he is the best communicator on the park. how he has fallen so far i have no idea.

besides the game v wellington mitchell has been poor, he seems lazy on the ball and lazy in his tracking back (both of these liabilities were found out yesterday). he does have mongrel in him but that probably is about it. i didn't really understand why gve bought him in the first place i actually thought him leaving was the perfect opportunity for regan/chapman to stake claim for a starting position.

tiago should be in the midfield where kanta is imo as he is probably the best passer in the team and you can lessen the chance of him giving away penalties and stupid fouls in dangerous positions.

chapman is apparently the best young product we have at the club so he should be starting as he has had now 18 months with the team and a full season in the nbn state league so i daresay he would be match hardened to the physicality.

i think regan is more than experienced enough now to be the head CB with chapman and i hope come years end this is how it will be.

to yesterday, we were absolutely terrible, people using the ref as an excuse are kidding themselves. i wouldn't say it was the worst ever but it would go down in the top 5 for the worst games in our history

the only positive on field was virgilli, did not stop running all day and had our only 2 shots on target.

off field;

well done tenzo for opening the whole back area with the sales of the $20 buckets for 5 ciders or 4 heinikens

Marcus
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
:closed:

furns
08-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Driving home yesterday out of nowhere the sky just fell right down and smashed my car. Did quite a bit of damage this time, it's happened a few times before (generally after a loss).
Off to the panel beaters today to get it fixed.

just to clarify for the uninitiated

take a lot of the negative that is posted here with a hefty dose of salt, its done to take the piss.
If you are looking for actual negativity, please direct your attention to sfcu.com.au

plague
08-10-2012, 11:42 AM

just to clarify for the uninitiated

take a lot of the negative that is posted here with a hefty dose of salt, its done to take the piss.
If you are looking for actual negativity, please direct your attention to sfcu.com.au

worth noting though that all the stuff about Deans is 100% genuine.

MFKS
08-10-2012, 11:44 AM
worth noting though that all the stuff about Deans and Joel Griffiths is 100% genuine.

Fixed for accuracy

scarfy96
08-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Don't worry guys, Dutchy has it all worked out

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets head coach Gary van Egmond believes the Jets didn’t create enough goal-scoring opportunities in their 2-0 loss to Adelaide United at Hunter Stadium on Sunday3.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Van-Egmond-We-didnt-create-enough-opportunities/49816

I was farkin worried till I saw that but am more comfortable now he has it in hand.

MFKS
08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Did anyway see the post match presser of GVE.

Some journo asked him a question about the fans being dissappointed by what they saw and GVE started to lose it.

Replied with your a fan "James" what did you think etc

Then left the presser with the shits

Seemed to be in a right hump with the journo.

Assuming the James was Gardner from the Newy Herald.

Good to see HSG's feud is still ongoing

The Dunster
08-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Gve was asked " Why didn't the Brazilians play".

His answer was " because they weren't selected".

To a journo that pretty much means the player is not good enough. And when that player is an import brought in by GVE it tends to suggest that GVE has wasted a visa spot.

Journo 1 GVE nil.

furns
08-10-2012, 12:47 PM
In all seriousness, can we not give GVE a bit more of a chance - its one game in ffs

Heskey only landed a week ago, we havent played a decent competitive fixture since SFC in Leichhardt three weeks ago. The pitch was royally shit, and the ref was giving us nothing. The kids will take time to gel in a HAL environment, preseason only works if its a consistent buildup not buildup then drop off due to fixture cancellations.
I am reserving judgement to end of season, but with the team we have I would be expecting finals appearance as a bare minimum.