Decouple is back.
NL youth is in.
Can they pip Valo for 8th in club champs

Captain_Carl
17-10-2022, 12:12 AM
Decouple is back.
NL youth is in.

Hahaha not a chance! Valo will be stronger than them in every age group.

sapdad
17-10-2022, 12:25 AM
Decouple is back.
NL youth is in.

Going off the club championship table someone posted recently the bottom clubs in the top group next year will likely be Edgeworth,Nth Coast and Valo.NL isnt at that level yet.A small sample size for sure but after watching NPL and NL1 semis and grand finals in youth recently the difference is probably a bit larger than some people think.NL will benefit from the decouple win lose or draw and they will be a welcome addition.It will likely be 4 of the following clubs fighting to get back up to group 1 for 2024 NL,Bel Swans,NIAS,Weston,Azzuri,Buds,Lakes and Cooks Hill.

Goatscheese
17-10-2022, 09:12 AM
Would the better thread name not have been 2023 Premier Youth League?

Anyway NL won't be in top 8. I think Valo will perform better

But hard to make a prediction until Northern release how the club championship will be decided. Will different age groups get different points? Will they do what happens in Sydney and Melbourne where U13s don't count towards the championship?

sapdad
17-10-2022, 09:30 AM
Will different age groups get different points? Will they do what happens in Sydney and Melbourne where U13s don't count towards the championship?

Is there a particular reason why 13s dont count?

Aegon
17-10-2022, 10:40 AM
Would the better thread name not have been 2023 Premier Youth League?

Anyway NL won't be in top 8. I think Valo will perform better

But hard to make a prediction until Northern release how the club championship will be decided. Will different age groups get different points? Will they do what happens in Sydney and Melbourne where U13s don't count towards the championship?

Updated.

Aegon
17-10-2022, 10:43 AM
A note to all.

Keep it civil. Multiple threads were closed for 2022 because people couldn't help themselves.

ABCDEF
17-10-2022, 10:50 AM
Reading through the info on decoupling there are some things that are a bit unclear to me.

How many games are actually in the season? So you play everyone once and then the split do you play everyone twice?? - so 26 games in league A for example.

At the end of the article it states that from 2024 there will be two divisions of 12 to start the season. Maths has never been my strong point but isn’t there only 23 teams at the moment. Who’s team 24 going to be? Is a ZPL team going to come up or another regional team?

Have heard there’s a mid week cup or something as well, anyone have any info on that?

Aegon
17-10-2022, 10:59 AM
Reading through the info on decoupling there are some things that are a bit unclear to me.

How many games are actually in the season? So you play everyone once and then the split do you play everyone twice?? - so 26 games in league A for example.

At the end of the article it states that from 2024 there will be two divisions of 12 to start the season. Maths has never been my strong point but isn’t there only 23 teams at the moment. Who’s team 24 going to be? Is a ZPL team going to come up or another regional team?

Have heard there’s a mid week cup or something as well, anyone have any info on that?

The original plan was teams play each other once in both rounds. So 18 or so League games when the comp is in its correct structure from 2024 on.
I assume the reduction in league games is going to made up for in the pre season cup (group format - 3 games + knockouts) and Premier Youth cup/plate (knockout - 2 games minimum).

So roughly a minimum of 24 competitive games with successful team maybe playing around 30ish.

BS detecor
17-10-2022, 11:14 AM

I’m led to believe that it’s because they don’t want kids in their first year of full size football having the added pressure of being responsible for the rest of the age groups being relegated.

sapdad
17-10-2022, 11:20 AM
I’m led to believe that it’s because they don’t want kids in their first year of full size football having the added pressure of being responsible for the rest of the age groups being relegated.

I would have assumed that too.With 4 years of JDL under their belts these days before they hit 13s I doubt that same concern would be as valid now.I can understand the case for weighted results as well as no weighting at all.Hopefully the decision is clear and consistent.

Goatscheese
17-10-2022, 11:34 AM
I would have assumed that too.With 4 years of JDL under their belts these days before they hit 13s I doubt that same concern would be as valid now.I can understand the case for weighted results as well as no weighting at all.Hopefully the decision is clear and consistent.

I think it is also because it will be their first time on a full size field. Though Queensland have changed their U13s to remain 9v9 as well.

KITZ
17-10-2022, 06:16 PM

Because 13s don't count in Sydney? Will enjoy this season having no involvement locally.

From what I've learnt with pro/rel in Sydney kids still club hop between those teams, if they can afford to lose their deposits.

jim wallis
17-10-2022, 08:33 PM
I think it is also because it will be their first time on a full size field. Though Queensland have changed their U13s to remain 9v9 as well.

Qld are ahead of the game. Full field for 13s is a bit of a farce.

terry
17-10-2022, 08:36 PM
Because 13s don't count in Sydney? Will enjoy this season having no involvement locally.

From what I've learnt with pro/rel in Sydney kids still club hop between those teams, if they can afford to lose their deposits.

For sure. Same politics there as well. They all claim to have the best setup.

terry
17-10-2022, 08:39 PM

Pretty much. I lived in the north for a while. Every decision is fought over.
13s are a lay year until the top clubs can poach the better ones within the local region of course.

Goatscheese
18-10-2022, 09:42 AM

Enjoy NPL2

KITZ
18-10-2022, 12:34 PM
Enjoy NPL2

Looking forward to it, bit of a trek but couldn't turn down the opportunity in regards to the coaching, development and support that is being made available.

terry
19-10-2022, 08:30 PM
Did we sort out if the 18s are playing with youth or seniors next year?

Jardelsimage
20-10-2022, 06:27 AM

youth i believe

Hunter403
20-10-2022, 07:50 AM
It is known as Premier Youth League. NPL Youth and HITFM NL1 youth rolled in together. Change of thread name?

sapdad
20-10-2022, 10:11 AM

Last I was told from a club official was that 18s was to be included in youth club championship and decoupling but somehow still played on the same day as seniors as clubs didnt want to have 5 youth games on one day then only 2 senior games the next.This is a bit strange as an example a club like Cooks Hill would most likely be playing Magic in 1st and Reserves but then New Lambton in 18s on the same day (while New Lambton 1st and res were elsewhere).I cant think organizing a draw and utilising players across 18/ressies would be easy in the 2nd half of the year.It would only seem to work if they did indeed plan on playing all 5 youth games on the one day.

Hunter403
20-10-2022, 12:26 PM
Last I was told from a club official was that 18s was to be included in youth club championship and decoupling but somehow still played on the same day as seniors as clubs didnt want to have 5 youth games on one day then only 2 senior games the next.This is a bit strange as an example a club like Cooks Hill would most likely be playing Magic in 1st and Reserves but then New Lambton in 18s on the same day (while New Lambton 1st and res were elsewhere).I cant think organizing a draw and utilising players across 18/ressies would be easy in the 2nd half of the year.It would only seem to work if they did indeed plan on playing all 5 youth games on the one day.

If you reckon that will be a chellenge, just wait until some clubs can't field teams in each age group. The draw will end up as total mess.

sapdad
20-10-2022, 12:39 PM
If you reckon that will be a chellenge, just wait until some clubs can't field teams in each age group. The draw will end up as total mess.

While I dont have knowledge on everyones situation,will it be that big a deal this year?Once the draw gets done for the 2nd half of the year the top 8 clubs will have all grades.The next 8 were only missing Cooks Hill 16s which obviously wont exist this year, and one NIAS team.The 3rd group of 8 may or may not field every age,but they may be able to use the fact their kids wont be getting pumped by 20 every week to encourage some kids to try that level and build something for the future.Of course if theres large chunks of kids leaving clubs in a set age group it will cause issues but clubs are out there trailing and getting organised so the top 16 clubs should have no reason to not be ready,and NNSW needs to just automatically relegate any club that cant field all teams into group 3 until they get sorted.

Reds Forever
20-10-2022, 12:40 PM

The whole decoupling thing sounds great in principle. But this is one concern I have, plus Northern ability to get a second draw out at mid point mark after the 3 divisions are confirmed.

Hunter403
20-10-2022, 02:27 PM
While I dont have knowledge on everyones situation,will it be that big a deal this year?Once the draw gets done for the 2nd half of the year the top 8 clubs will have all grades.The next 8 were only missing Cooks Hill 16s which obviously wont exist this year, and one NIAS team.The 3rd group of 8 may or may not field every age,but they may be able to use the fact their kids wont be getting pumped by 20 every week to encourage some kids to try that level and build something for the future.Of course if theres large chunks of kids leaving clubs in a set age group it will cause issues but clubs are out there trailing and getting organised so the top 16 clubs should have no reason to not be ready,and NNSW needs to just automatically relegate any club that cant field all teams into group 3 until they get sorted.

So a mess for the bottom 8 teams is acceptable? Guess you are not one of those club officals that have to sort it.

Will NC and MNC field 18s?
Do you mean that if MNC and NC can't field 18s they should be in group 3? If so, that won't stop the cricket scores.

NNSW have had ample opportunitues to implement their own rules over the last few years and have failed to do so. They have even granted a dispensation to clubs that don't field all teams this year. Clubs tried hard to raise all teams last year and many failed. Why should they suddnely acheive it this year when it is likely that the cost will even be higher for the NL1 clubs? More games=more cost.

sapdad
20-10-2022, 03:22 PM
So a mess for the bottom 8 teams is acceptable? Guess you are not one of those club officals that have to sort it.

What Im saying is that if some clubs missing teams is inevitable then why not just proceed with the new structure in the hope that it will fix some of the other problems NNSW have identified.No idea on the situation regarding 18s for MC and NC but if it looms as an obstacle then hopefully someone is working towards a solution rather than just accepting the status quo.Id personally still rather 18s with seniors and NC and MC are a good example why (seemingly different travel requirements for a small percentage of their squads every week).We can all agree that there is no perfect structure but im willing to try the new one.

Goatscheese
20-10-2022, 03:44 PM

Will NC and MNC field 18s?
Do you mean that if MNC and NC can't field 18s they should be in group 3? If so, that won't stop the cricket scores.

NNSW have had ample opportunitues to implement their own rules over the last few years and have failed to do so. They have even granted a dispensation to clubs that don't field all teams this year. Clubs tried hard to raise all teams last year and many failed. Why should they suddnely acheive it this year when it is likely that the cost will even be higher for the NL1 clubs? More games=more cost.

Considering 18s are included because MC and NC pushed for 18s to be included I think they will be having teams.

Spell Check
20-10-2022, 06:05 PM

NPL clubs are required to field all teams in the new comp, but they get one season’s grace so don't expect a full boat for season 1. By season 2, Northern say all clubs in the top league will need to have all teams.

Spell Check
20-10-2022, 06:11 PM
Any noise in clubland about the youth Summer Series? Details are scarce.

Hunter403
20-10-2022, 06:39 PM

I know that some clubs are arranging their own trials in the expectation that NNSW stuff it up.

BS detecor
20-10-2022, 08:13 PM

I hope all the youth are off playing cricket and not thinking about football again until january

The Hacker
20-10-2022, 08:39 PM
I hope all the youth are off playing cricket and not thinking about football again until january

Gone are the days where you can play NPL snd cricket as a kid or adult

Spell Check
20-10-2022, 09:01 PM
Gone are the days where you can play NPL snd cricket as a kid or adult

Correct.

Soccer is an all year sport now and NPL clubs who haven’t realised that will suddenly realise they are behind the 8 ball. My boy is back in next month and then 3/4 times a week early Jan if he takes up the new academy sessions coming in.

He might get a surf in.

terry
20-10-2022, 11:26 PM

Ah. Thats the deal. No more club chest beating and get the players on the park in every grade or deservedly drop out. ZPL is a decent comp anyway.

Why we've waited this long to get some balls and have a serious attempt to fix youth footy is amazing. Sure therell be a team that loses just about every game at the bottom of group 3 but thats much less than the debacle this year and theres the challenge. Nothing is perfect.

terry
20-10-2022, 11:28 PM

Depends what your goal is. If you wanna go interstate is 11months, if you wanna stay npl here take 3/4 months off.

BS detecor
20-10-2022, 11:51 PM
Correct.

Soccer is an all year sport now and NPL clubs who haven’t realised that will suddenly realise they are behind the 8 ball. My boy is back in next month and then 3/4 times a week early Jan if he takes up the new academy sessions coming in.

He might get a surf in.

You will be lucky if he still plays by the time seniors comes around. Even the prem has a 3 month off season

The Magician
21-10-2022, 12:30 AM
Broadmeadow magic 2022 npl mens & womens club champions!!!

jessepinkman
21-10-2022, 03:02 AM
You will be lucky if he still plays by the time seniors comes around. Even the prem has a 3 month off season

this is so incorrect its not funny

ForeverRed
21-10-2022, 07:17 AM
Broadmeadow magic 2022 npl mens & womens club champions!!!
And won nothing

Spell Check
21-10-2022, 08:21 AM

Not that there is a comparison but EPL clubs finish end of May and are back into it by early July.

What NPL clubs do things differently? Most I know have some pre Xmas getogethers to bed in new squad and then train from January.

Jets, Mariners youth and Sydney NPL1 clubs crack on earlier than that and train much more than local NPL. Are you saying all those players will stop playing by seniors? I don’t see it. The game has moved on.

BS detecor
21-10-2022, 08:51 AM
Not that there is a comparison but EPL clubs finish end of May and are back into it by early July.

What NPL clubs do things differently? Most I know have some pre Xmas getogethers to bed in new squad and then train from January.

Jets, Mariners youth and Sydney NPL1 clubs crack on earlier than that and train much more than local NPL. Are you saying all those players will stop playing by seniors? I don’t see it. The game has moved on.

I’m just saying it was a long season and kids need to do something like go surfing for a good couple of months before they get back to the grind

Aegon
21-10-2022, 08:57 AM
I’m just saying it was a long season and kids need to do something like go surfing for a good couple of months before they get back to the grind

Why?

What if they don’t want to do anything else? Force them to stand around for hours in the blazing sun in the hope someone hits the ball their way?

BS detecor
21-10-2022, 09:06 AM
Why?

What if they don’t want to do anything else? Force them to stand around for hours in the blazing sun in the hope someone hits the ball their way?

Mate. It’s not an order, just my opinion. If you want to get straight back into then fill your boots

Goatscheese
21-10-2022, 09:39 AM

Almost all clubs have started training again, or will be soon

Spell Check
21-10-2022, 10:26 AM

Look, I was always of the same mind - soccer season then cricket season and in my day the two seasons didn't cross. But soccer has changed and clubs and players demand more nowadays. Those clubs sticking to the old school ways of months of inactivity will soon find themselves at the back of a chasing pack.

Yes it puts more pressure on clubs and coaches but for my boy's club its a must. Pre-season kick before Xmas roughly 1.5 hours once a week and then back into it from Jan. And no one sees it as a "grind" - its soccer in 2022.

sapdad
21-10-2022, 01:19 PM
Almost all clubs have started training again, or will be soon

Yes ours have told the boys they will be back in a few weeks then a break for Christmas, back in mid Jan then trials all Feb, comp starts in March.My son cant wait he loves all aspects of the experience both good and bad.If he ever thought of it as a grind id drag him anyway and find him a level that made him happy.

Stanley
24-10-2022, 05:50 AM
And won nothing

And club champions is nothing

Aegon
24-10-2022, 02:36 PM
Great to see next years 13's Jets squad come from a broader range of clubs.

Azzurri (2)
Edgy (2)
Jaffas (2)
Magic (3)
Maitland (2)
Olympic (3)
Valentine (1)
+ 2 players from this years Jets 13's squad.

Eastwest
24-10-2022, 04:45 PM
Whispers of emerging Jets 9-12s starting next year in a 1 night p/w training only format. Not sure how this might sit next to NNSWs TSP format.

See what happens.

Isthisforreal
24-10-2022, 07:43 PM
Whispers of emerging Jets 9-12s starting next year in a 1 night p/w training only format. Not sure how this might sit next to NNSWs TSP format.

See what happens.

Hearing the same, open trials to be selected for the program.

The Magician
24-10-2022, 07:56 PM

See what happens.

Correct...

TSP/ Extended Jets Shadow Squad Training Monday Nights... Tuesday Nights GVE Private Training... Wednesday Jets Training... Thursday Gomes Private training.... The kids still get 4 sessions in a week.

Eastwest
24-10-2022, 08:44 PM
Correct...

TSP/ Extended Jets Shadow Squad Training Monday Nights... Tuesday Nights GVE Private Training... Wednesday Jets Training... Thursday Gomes Private training.... The kids still get 4 sessions in a week.

So how or when do they train with their clubs?

Spell Check
25-10-2022, 08:17 AM
Great to see next years 13's Jets squad come from a broader range of clubs.

Azzurri (2)
Edgy (2)
Jaffas (2)
Magic (3)
Maitland (2)
Olympic (3)
Valentine (1)
+ 2 players from this years Jets 13's squad.

Agree. Good to see all the top clubs represented. 17 players? Playing minutes an issue?

What’s the movement like among the older ages? 14’s struggled but 15’s and 16’s went well.

Spell Check
25-10-2022, 08:18 AM

See what happens.

This might be SAP thread chat. Dangerous ground.

Goatscheese
25-10-2022, 09:27 AM
Correct...

Private training, so is it for the players already with them or is it being done as a way to get more money for Jets and also to bring in more income from GVE and Gomes by getting more players to their private sessions?

Goatscheese
25-10-2022, 09:27 AM
Agree. Good to see all the top clubs represented. 17 players? Playing minutes an issue?

What’s the movement like among the older ages? 14’s struggled but 15’s and 16’s went well.

Jets always do that 15 field players, 2 goalkeepers

KITZ
25-10-2022, 09:38 AM
The jets not long ago posted about how the academy program is running 200k in the red (after the kids fees come in as well) and they are now going to try and re-add 9-12s over the top or in replace of TSP?

Need to make the program sustainable before it collapses and let northern wear the cost of running the pre NPL development program.TSP / JETS 9-12s same same?

Will be interested as to what the cost will end up being since TSP has been a $100 a term plus uniform if you want to buy it with northern claiming it runs in the negative as well.

KITZ
25-10-2022, 09:40 AM
So how or when do they train with their clubs?

I suspect its tongue in cheek.

Spell Check
25-10-2022, 01:12 PM
Jets always do that 15 field players, 2 goalkeepers

I'm not sure they do. My eldest was involved a few years ago and 15 picked with one GK so to maximise minutes on the pitch. Two GK's? How will that work? Guess they will alternate matches, so effectively get half as much playing time as outfield. Not ideal for mine.

Spell Check
25-10-2022, 01:19 PM
The jets not long ago posted about how the academy program is running 200k in the red (after the kids fees come in as well)

Need to make the program sustainable before it collapses and let northern wear the cost of running the pre NPL development program.

The Brisbane Roar decision to fold their Youth from 13's-16's tells us exactly where Youth is on the list of priorities for A League clubs. The Jets are no different. My boy's experience left him/me very underwhelmed unfortunately.

Jim
25-10-2022, 08:36 PM
The Brisbane Roar decision to fold their Youth from 13's-16's tells us exactly where Youth is on the list of priorities for A League clubs. The Jets are no different. My boy's experience left him/me very underwhelmed unfortunately.

Well, the local NPL isnt the answer either. More than half of the games are walkovers.

KITZ
25-10-2022, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure they do. My eldest was involved a few years ago and 15 picked with one GK so to maximise minutes on the pitch. Two GK's? How will that work? Guess they will alternate matches, so effectively get half as much playing time as outfield. Not ideal for mine.

It's how the comp in Sydney runs for goalkeepers at least - 2 13's a 14s, 2 15,s a 16s and 2 18s. For the jets this season at least one or two moved back to play local comp. In Sydney it means you have to be competitive to play even if you are the only one in your age group there's opportunity for a keeper to push you out if you aren't continually pushing to be better.

Can't comment on field players, but when promotion and relegation are on I suspect teams start the season full to minimise the risk of being short on game days. Will probably start happening in Newcastle too.

BS detecor
26-10-2022, 09:14 AM

GK’s play half games each. Was always a bit of a sore point travelling so far for half a game

onlooker
26-10-2022, 12:15 PM
GK’s play half games each. Was always a bit of a sore point travelling so far for half a game

Last year with my daughter they tried half a game away and at home games it was one full game in goals next home game on the bench. Wasn’t a fan of the two keeper approach as it’s not great for their development don’t get me wrong I do understand pressure for place is apart of the learning but I don’t agree with it being at a crucial stage of development.

BS detecor
26-10-2022, 12:25 PM
Last year with my daughter they tried half a game away and at home games it was one full game in goals next home game on the bench. Wasn’t a fan of the two keeper approach as it’s not great for their development don’t get me wrong I do understand pressure for place is apart of the learning but I don’t agree with it being at a crucial stage of development.

It’s even worse if you’re playing some struggling team and spend your half standing on the top of the box watching. I’m surprised anyone signs up to be a keeper at the best of times

Jim
26-10-2022, 04:44 PM

Stupid system. 1 Keeper per team and allow NPL keeper to fill in if needed

Hunter403
26-10-2022, 05:25 PM
If my kid were a keeper, I would be focussed more on their out of match training. I would also prefer the kid to be in a weaker team: more practice.

The kid that was in goals for my son's NPL team was hardly tested over the 4 years as the team was a very strong one. Maybe he would have learned more playing for a weaker one where he would actually have to do more. We will never know.

KITZ
26-10-2022, 07:25 PM
Stupid system. 1 Keeper per team and allow NPL keeper to fill in if needed

that also is incredibly difficult, especially semi's and grand final days, overuse injuries do happen, especially after two games and extra time, pick up an injury in the first game and you don't have a registered goalkeeper as anyone outside their age group needs to be registered to play in that age come semis and grand finals. Its not an easy balance and you can't always get it right.

ForeverRed
26-10-2022, 07:36 PM
that also is incredibly difficult, especially semi's and grand final days, overuse injuries do happen, especially after two games and extra time, pick up an injury in the first game and you don't have a registered goalkeeper as anyone outside their age group needs to be registered to play in that age come semis and grand finals. Its not an easy balance and you can't always get it right.

Nothing difficult at all about it, they’re kids, if the one keeper is injured at the said time you are concerned about then he or she is replaced by another squad member, winning isn’t development, learning about potholes along the way is

Oldy
30-10-2022, 03:53 PM
Nothing difficult at all about it, they’re kids, if the one keeper is injured at the said time you are concerned about then he or she is replaced by another squad member, winning isn’t development, learning about potholes along the way is

How I see it too. More games is good. Maybe not having concrete goal mouths might help with injuries.

KITZ
31-10-2022, 05:41 PM

they aren't babies, they are youth players moving towards playing senior football. earning your spot is the potholes along the way, not having things continually handed to you, not sure why people are so keen to continue to baby teenagers. You want them to "learn about potholes" but earning game time isn't that? no wonder people are confused about football in Newcastle.

finzee
31-10-2022, 08:08 PM
Pre academy deets. Trials a bit pricey

https://newcastlejetsfootballclub.formstack.com/forms/talent_id_program_term4_22_?fbclid=IwAR3_0C-T-LlROmZfRGZy2ulqWL4Se5w0HojTptg-PQAwkUV-qChoXOwKeAY

sideline88
01-11-2022, 08:03 AM

https://newcastlejetsfootballclub.formstack.com/forms/talent_id_program_term4_22_?fbclid=IwAR3_0C-T-LlROmZfRGZy2ulqWL4Se5w0HojTptg-PQAwkUV-qChoXOwKeAY

I guess if you look at it as a trial it does seem excessive, but as a pre-season training opportunity id say its just about on par with every other clinics on offer and if the jets draw on some of the coaches they currently have involved the kids should gain plenty from it.

Isthisforreal
01-11-2022, 08:45 AM
I guess if you look at it as a trial it does seem excessive, but as a pre-season training opportunity id say its just about on par with every other clinics on offer and if the jets draw on some of the coaches they currently have involved the kids should gain plenty from it.

Totally agree, gives kids an opportunity regardless of who their club, coach, TD or who they know. Compared to private academy training the price is very reasonable, ultimately replaces NNSW TSP. Good to see the Jets finally leading the way

The Magician
01-11-2022, 09:09 AM
Totally agree, gives kids an opportunity regardless of who their club, coach, TD or who they know. Compared to private academy training the price is very reasonable, ultimately replaces NNSW TSP. Good to see the Jets finally leading the way

It is a private academy, just in the Jets name. If all the clubs can run extra training at a price why cannot the Jets. If they can get cash off 10 year olds, that they won't be able to sign for 3 years why not hey.

Jets have monetised every football experience used in clubland to finally make their books balance. Pre-academy, mini world cups, talent I'd training, shadow squads... $$$$$$$

mge61
01-11-2022, 09:28 AM

Seems reasonable to me if you look at it against other various kids pursuits like dancing, music lessons, etc.

Spell Check
01-11-2022, 04:20 PM

Don't we have to look at it as a trial? It's advertised as for coaches to ID players for the Jets pre academy. So the price to trial is $300 however you want to dress it up.

Excessive is one word to use.

Spell Check
01-11-2022, 04:21 PM
It is a private academy, just in the Jets name. If all the clubs can run extra training at a price why cannot the Jets. If they can get cash off 10 year olds, that they won't be able to sign for 3 years why not hey.

Jets have monetised every football experience used in clubland to finally make their books balance. Pre-academy, mini world cups, talent I'd training, shadow squads... $$$$$$$

100% agree with this. I am amazed at the positivity around it.

KITZ
01-11-2022, 08:47 PM

I don't get how you see this as leading the way. Incredibly disappointing since this is replacing TSP for the 12s now you are having to essentially pay to be identified since clubs and I assume northern weren't even notified this was happening.

Wrapping it up as extra training is just putting a bow on the ****pile that development in Newcastle has become. Its pay to be seen not "doesn't matter who your club is". Think about that for more than a minute. Those kids who can't afford it can't afford the $300 either, its a null argument, the rest are out training multiple nights a week and playing JDL - particularly in the girls space as many girls who play football in community just aren't interested in the time and work that needs to be put in.

The jets are not leading the way, they have simply run out of things to make money from.

If they want to run coaching clinics so be it. If they actually want to develop players and get the best they should have been out watching them all this season, they aren't going to find some random kid who's going to be the next superstar, anyone who thinks that lives in a fantasy.

The Magician
01-11-2022, 09:44 PM
I don't get how you see this as leading the way. Incredibly disappointing since this is replacing TSP for the 12s now you are having to essentially pay to be identified since clubs and I assume northern weren't even notified this was happening.

Wrapping it up as extra training is just putting a bow on the ****pile that development in Newcastle has become. Its pay to be seen not "doesn't matter who your club is". Think about that for more than a minute. Those kids who can't afford it can't afford the $300 either, its a null argument, the rest are out training multiple nights a week and playing JDL - particularly in the girls space as many girls who play football in community just aren't interested in the time and work that needs to be put in.

The jets are not leading the way, they have simply run out of things to make money from.

If they want to run coaching clinics so be it. If they actually want to develop players and get the best they should have been out watching them all this season, they aren't going to find some random kid who's going to be the next superstar, anyone who thinks that lives in a fantasy.

200 kids have signed up... $295 a kid... $59,000... CHA CHING!!! not bad for 10 hours work.

sapdad
01-11-2022, 10:21 PM
Wrapping it up as extra training is just putting a bow on the ****pile that development in Newcastle has become. Its pay to be seen not "doesn't matter who your club is".

Just on this point,history seems to be on your side with this argument,but this was probably the biggest spread of clubs being represented in the 2023 Jets 13s in forever.We had an often discussed situation last year where clubs were trying to recruit TSP related JDL superteams yet for all the player movement the main club involved in the discussion got 2 kids in.I think JDL seems to be working in that more kids are getting better coaching at more clubs.Hopefully that starts to see kids staying at their clubs and not feeling the need to be seen by playing at the traditional "stronger" clubs.My point is completely separate from this Jets academy which absolutely seems to be about revenue raising.But the Jets TD is going to be judged by results,so if they think that they will succeed by only recruiting kids from their own program they wont last long in the job.JDL is showing that the wider the net the better.

Spell Check
01-11-2022, 10:59 PM

Absolutely this.

Soccer in Australia has fallen so badly into paying to play that parents willingly accept that $300 to trial is okay. It isn’t. You can’t put a bow on the Jets using parents FOMO to make money.

jessepinkman
02-11-2022, 05:25 PM
Football will never succeed in this country until we get rid of the parasites and leeches. Including private 'academies'. If your kid is any good, you're out of Newy and ultimately Australia asap.

Not only is the setup just mates getting mates paid at the expense of gullible parents, but the talent ID and scouting ability of the people in charge in Australia are just poor in general.

And then anyone with an ounce of football experience or acumen has to pay their own way into a certification too - laughable.

Look at the young fella tearing it up with Mourinho at Roma. Not good enough for the Wanderers academy. Wonder how many good kids in newy just don't bother because mum, dad, or coach doesn't have the right connections/cash.

Spell Check
03-11-2022, 08:27 AM
Football will never succeed in this country until we get rid of the parasites and leeches. Including private 'academies'. If your kid is any good, you're out of Newy and ultimately Australia asap.

Not only is the setup just mates getting mates paid at the expense of gullible parents, but the talent ID and scouting ability of the people in charge in Australia are just poor in general.

And then anyone with an ounce of football experience or acumen has to pay their own way into a certification too - laughable.

Look at the young fella tearing it up with Mourinho at Roma. Not good enough for the Wanderers academy. Wonder how many good kids in newy just don't bother because mum, dad, or coach doesn't have the right connections/cash.

Largely agree with you Jesse but the boy at Roma needed one of those private academies to get him opportunities after WSW cut him, so there is a place for them in the wider context. The major issue in Newy is that those running private academies also have heavy influence in decisions at the Jets and other top NPL clubs.

People will say the pool of good coaches in Newy is so small that it’s inevitable that those with academies will also be attached to the bigger clubs and Jets. The question is whether they should also be making decisions on player selections and retentions. Can those same coaches separate the private money and decisions on players futures without bias? Harder to do than it sounds.

sapdad
03-11-2022, 02:43 PM
A coup at Rosebuds and Hartley out of Jaffas and now at Buds?
Where did this come from?Seems very strange.

The Hacker
03-11-2022, 03:16 PM
Where did this come from?Seems very strange.

That would be big for Buds youth

Hunter403
03-11-2022, 03:20 PM

Careful what you wish for. Jaffas youth results have gone backwards over the last few years.

sapdad
03-11-2022, 03:39 PM

It seems the complete opposite approach to what Rosebuds currently preach.

The Hacker
03-11-2022, 03:59 PM
It seems the complete opposite approach to what Rosebuds currently preach.

I agree. I actually think the path they have been on is the one for long term sustainability but when next year results at all cost come in you might need to blend both ways

Aegon
03-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Careful what you wish for. Jaffas youth results have gone backwards over the last few years.

Just looked through table positions quickly whilst on a very boring meeting:

Year
13's
14's
15's
16's
Average
Median

Based purely off table positioning they're in a better place than they were when he took over after 2019.

Marginal? Yes, but not backwards.

sapdad
03-11-2022, 04:16 PM

Year
13's
14's
15's
16's
Average
Median

Based purely off table positioning they're in a better place than they were when he took over after 2019.

The big question is how many kids did he develop right through vs how many did he recruit in order to get results?Lets face it hes a great recruiter and a very good coach.But if JDL and NPL youth are about developing kids to their full potential and breeding future first graders I can totally understand why people dont like his approach.

terry
03-11-2022, 05:51 PM
The big question is how many kids did he develop right through vs how many did he recruit in order to get results?Lets face it hes a great recruiter and a very good coach.But if JDL and NPL youth are about developing kids to their full potential and breeding future first graders I can totally understand why people dont like his approach.

He's a better recruiter than coach but so are some other "top" clubs.
Can create a toxic culture which isnt good but again happens at all clubs from time to time.
And the teams arent technically as good as Mid coast teams.
He be an improvement at Rosebuds though.

The Magician
03-11-2022, 06:14 PM
Hartley's Academy VS Gomes' Academy... There was only going to be one winner with Tanch bringing the $$$ to make up for departing major sponsors.

The Hacker
03-11-2022, 06:25 PM
He's a better recruiter than coach but so are some other "top" clubs.
Can create a toxic culture which isnt good but again happens at all clubs from time to time.
And the teams arent technically as good as Mid coast teams.
He be an improvement at Rosebuds though.

Is this rumours and speculation or concrete

terry
03-11-2022, 08:46 PM

All rumour from not very reliable sources

Goatscheese
04-11-2022, 09:13 AM

That he is going to buds or that he goes and recruits (poach) players?

The Hacker
04-11-2022, 10:02 AM
That he is going to buds or that he goes and recruits (poach) players?

Going to Buds. We all know he’s a poacher

Hunter403
04-11-2022, 01:08 PM
I'd love to see some kind of rule that limits how many kids you replace with others from PYL clubs each season. You pick 'em, so develop them. It might take more than one season for a kid to reach potential. Dumping a kid and raiding another club isn't about development: it is about winning. How about achieving the latter by doing the former better?

sapdad
04-11-2022, 02:03 PM
We all know he’s a poacher

Remember,its the kids and parents that sign the letters of offer though.

terry
05-11-2022, 01:54 PM
Remember,its the kids and parents that sign the letters of offer though.

Correct. It takes 2.

terry
06-11-2022, 11:05 AM

Year
13's
14's
15's
16's
Average
Median

Im not seeing that. Discarding 2019 when he took over the averages are higher after. And add in 2019 its worse.

BBscone
06-11-2022, 01:11 PM
Im not seeing that. Discarding 2019 when he took over the averages are higher after. And add in 2019 its worse.Since 2019 their 16s and 18s have been decent in and around Top 4. How many stayed? How many in the GF went through a development system?. Magic, Olympic. Edgey and now even Valentine are creating a pathway and developing a Club. Jaffas spent from day one and now he is back. All they have is a reputation. If all of the signings on their socials keep them under their player points, Sneddon is a better Accountant than I thought.

Goatscheese
07-11-2022, 09:21 AM
Im not seeing that. Discarding 2019 when he took over the averages are higher after. And add in 2019 its worse.

The one age group he has had there for the entire time have moved up one position. Granted others have gone up, this years 15s are up 3 positions on where there were in 13s. But this years 14's have dropped 6 positions.

Not backwards like the first poster claimed, the poster who put the table together is claiming marginally better. I'd claim about average maybe slightly better as well.

travellingman
07-11-2022, 11:23 AM

Anyone can make a graph look good or bad.
To look at it in Progression you have to look at the ages diagonally. 13's-16's

2017 13's were average until 16's
2019 average every year
2021 went backwards this year
other grades improved each year

terry
07-11-2022, 12:09 PM
Anyone can make a graph look good or bad.
To look at it in Progression you have to look at the ages diagonally. 13's-16's

2017 13's were average until 16's
2019 average every year
2021 went backwards this year
other grades improved each year

The main premise is that the program was touted to be far superior to other clubs.
As well as stats being average still not seeing it on the park either.

Hunter403
09-11-2022, 08:01 AM

For those worried about RH.

JustMe
09-11-2022, 09:28 AM
For those worried about RH.
So the rumours were partly true. Some coaches breathing a sigh of relief :rof:

With many clubs already in pre-preseason it's business as usual.

Goatscheese
09-11-2022, 09:31 AM
Some coaches breathing a sigh of relief :rof:

The Jaffas coaches?

JustMe
09-11-2022, 08:24 PM
The Jaffas coaches?

yep

Huntershooter
10-11-2022, 11:06 PM
Who will be TD?

The Magician
11-11-2022, 08:20 PM
To the Jets parents on here can you please confirm an incident that took place at a training game of the 2023 Jets 13s vs the 2023 Magic 13s, with the scores deadlocked at 0-0 Jets Technical staff begun berating the Jets bench demanding they win the game, storming off and driving off in their cars before the ball hit the net.

Magic 13s haven't started preseason training yet too.

BS detecor
11-11-2022, 08:50 PM
To the Jets parents on here can you please confirm an incident that took place at a training game of the 2023 Jets 13s vs the 2023 Magic 13s, with the scores deadlocked at 0-0 Jets Technical staff begun berating the Jets bench demanding they win the game, storming off and driving off in their cars before the ball hit the net.

Shootin from the hip already

KITZ
11-11-2022, 09:05 PM

A bit irrelevant but why aren't they having trial games against teams they will actually be up against next year or Youth League 2 teams. I know why Newcastle teams don't want Sydney trial games, but the 13s are going to struggle big time if they don't work out how they need to be playing pretty early on - and its not the push and shove of NPL in Newcastle.

Sounds like it's going to be a tough season for those kids and they need to see the difference in football the most since they haven't been exposed to it yet like the older players have.

TRUMP TOWER
11-11-2022, 09:33 PM

Someone looking for a stir. I didn’t see any of that but magic did well for about 60 minutes considering they are a local npl team. Jets scored a couple very late on to win it. But In saying that I agree with kitz, they should be flogging local teams who haven’t played since what September?

travellingman
12-11-2022, 09:58 AM
A bit irrelevant but why aren't they having trial games against teams they will actually be up against next year or Youth League 2 teams. I know why Newcastle teams don't want Sydney trial games, but the 13s are going to struggle big time if they don't work out how they need to be playing pretty early on - and its not the push and shove of NPL in Newcastle.

Sounds like it's going to be a tough season for those kids and they need to see the difference in football the most since they haven't been exposed to it yet like the older players have.

Are you serious?
These kids have just come together and are at the start of pre-season.
It was probably more a hit out than a full-blown trial game. Coaches probably only want to see how kids play in different combinations.
Stroger opponent trials will happen later in their preparation.
If the coaches were actually berating kids to win at this stage of preseason, they shouldn't be in the job.

Jim
12-11-2022, 02:39 PM

Im with valo and saw the game out of interest.
There wasnt any drama what so ever and i was next to the benches. I saw Magic hardly touch the ball and go long, Jets make 1000 passes and not really head for goal. I heard the Jets technical emphasizing some simple points. I saw a couple of grubby tackles from the Magic backs which is usual and no reaction from the players. But all in all the boys generally had a good hit out.

Funny how Magic need to have hysteria where ever they go. Ask any parent about their dealings with Magic at this age group over the last 5 or more years.
Yes we all know what the problem is. Good luck to the other teams this year.

KITZ
12-11-2022, 03:04 PM
Are you serious?
These kids have just come together and are at the start of pre-season.
It was probably more a hit out than a full-blown trial game. Coaches probably only want to see how kids play in different combinations.
Stroger opponent trials will happen later in their preparation.
If the coaches were actually berating kids to win at this stage of preseason, they shouldn't be in the job.

I am serious. I’ve seen the standard of football in Sydney and the game won’t be even relatively the same. They also won’t come to newcastle looking for “easy” trial games pre season. All of ours are against academy and YL1 teams. If they want to see them in combos they can play a half field attack v defence and move them around. Plus they picked them they should have had some idea of where they were going to play. Can’t have an entire team of kids who only want to play up front can you.

KITZ
12-11-2022, 03:09 PM
There wasnt any drama what so ever and i was next to the benches. I saw Magic hardly touch the ball and go long, Jets make 1000 passes and not really head for goal. I heard the Jets technical emphasizing some simple points. I saw a couple of grubby tackles from the Magic backs which is usual and no reaction from the players. But all in all the boys generally had a good hit out.

Funny how Magic need to have hysteria where ever they go. Ask any parent about their dealings with Magic at this age group over the last 5 or more years.

Valo are hardly the standard of good behaviour. Might improve if a couple of coaches are replaced though, hopefully they aged out with their kids though would only help the clubs image.

Plus, the coach of the 13s is a decent guy if the coaching roster hasn’t changed so I’m not quite sure if you realise you may be throwing shade at the wrong person.

Aegon
12-11-2022, 03:31 PM
:trolls:

John S
12-11-2022, 04:56 PM
Don’t mind me I’m just here living in your heads rent free 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Keep hiding behind your fake names throwing insults.
Imagine being that sad coming to watch a training game in under 13s when you don’t have a kid playing and calling 12yr olds grubs 🤦 Get a life buddy.
Next time say hello and I’ll sign a shirt for you 😘
I wish the jets 13s nothing but the best, some great kids in that group which I have allot of time for. They were the better team yesterday for sure, we battled hard for 1hr to keep them out and in the end fitness took it’s toll and they ran over the top of us, I’m
More than happy with my kids efforts playing against the regions best. This forum really needs people to use their real names and it will cut out all the rubbish that goes on. Just a thought ✌️
#toottoot

The Magician
12-11-2022, 05:32 PM
Hey John... great to be back on the pitch, commiserations for the first loss in 70+ games... Sorry we couldn't stay to full time, I had to drive Arthur and Gary home early as the Jets car was in for a service.

John S
12-11-2022, 07:05 PM
Hey John... great to be back on the pitch, commiserations for the first loss in 70+ games... Sorry we couldn't stay to full time, I had to drive Arthur and Gary home early as the Jets car was in for a service.

Mate ya killing me, people think I’m you on this forum. I’m just a dad trying his best to get these kids to where they want to be. Happy to cop criticism off parents using their real names but not keyboard warriors. There’s 4 kids in that 13s team that I’ve been lucky to coach at some point. So to the wankers that wanna bag me show me what you’ve done for the game. Till then go F@ck yourself 🤫

samcan
12-11-2022, 08:52 PM

I was there and agree. All the kids are finding their feet and apart from a couple of stupid challenges was a pretty decent training run.
Ageon, do your job.
You Magician should stop the abuse you pollute this forum with. Mods shouldve banned you straight up but theyre too gutless

Aegon
12-11-2022, 09:13 PM
It’s a slippery slope. If I start banning people for trolling there won’t be many people left here to post.

At the end of the day, anyone naive enough to bite at that drivel probably deserves to have to re-read it.

Bremsstrahlung
12-11-2022, 09:32 PM
Wonder if the 2023 thread gets closed before the season even begins.
:popcorn:

Look forward to the 2024 thread next week.

terry
13-11-2022, 02:28 PM

What most of us were thinking but not wanting to lose the thread.
Anyway...

terry
13-11-2022, 02:29 PM
Did anyone get the Herald article on "The cost of playing football for Newcastle Jets academy, amid new fee for talent identification"?

KITZ
13-11-2022, 02:36 PM
It’s a slippery slope. If I start banning people for trolling there won’t be many people left here to post.

At the end of the day, anyone naive enough to bite at that drivel probably deserves to have to re-read it.

Anyone with a basic understanding of written text would know that the reader infers tone and meaning and not the author. Without directing a reader with a referring to a laugh or joke, then it can only ever be taken at face value, which is exactly how it is written. seriously. :yawn::violin::woo:

KITZ
13-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Did anyone get the Herald article on "The cost of playing football for Newcastle Jets academy, amid new fee for talent identification"?

There's another that follows up directly after it as well if you are looking for the followup lol. They have obviously put a lot of people out, you know replacing a program without bothering to inform anyone.

terry
13-11-2022, 05:05 PM
There's another that follows up directly after it as well if you are looking for the followup lol. They have obviously put a lot of people out, you know replacing a program without bothering to inform anyone.

What ive heard is because the program is always threatening to close down due to no to low funding they have started a foundation model which targets several areas of making money. For the Academy or themselves im not sure.
Chasing company sponsorship i like but arranging pricey community events is a bit worrying.
Im not sure what else could be problematic as I havent seen the articles.

Bremsstrahlung
13-11-2022, 08:32 PM
What ive heard is because the program is always threatening to close down due to no to low funding they have started a foundation model which targets several areas of making money. For the Academy or themselves im not sure.
Chasing company sponsorship i like but arranging pricey community events is a bit worrying.
Im not sure what else could be problematic as I havent seen the articles.

No problem with Jets charging whatever they want to for a training camp.
No problem with them identifying players at the camp for their squads.

Problem with them charging what they want, if they are ONLY selecting from those that paid $$$.

Also, wonder if our drop in Jets ALM crowds has anything to do with their youth systems pissing off a bunch of people each year.

jessepinkman
13-11-2022, 08:39 PM
Wonder if the 2023 thread gets closed before the season even begins.
:popcorn:

Look forward to the 2024 thread next week.

it's always humourous to watch this thread and the JDL one crash and burn each year. The same crew each year just cant help it.

There's a special level of sad for taking the coaching of year 6 kids this seriously. To the point of logging in to 2 accounts to back and forth with themselves. Laughable.

terry
13-11-2022, 09:14 PM
it's always humourous to watch this thread and the JDL one crash and burn each year. The same crew each year just cant help it.

There's a special level of sad for taking the coaching of year 6 kids this seriously. To the point of logging in to 2 accounts to back and forth with themselves. Laughable.

stfu with your sh*t talk and talk footy. fmd. Ah like you add nothing

No problem with Jets charging whatever they want to for a training camp.
No problem with them identifying players at the camp for their squads.
Problem with them charging what they want, if they are ONLY selecting from those that paid $$$.
Also, wonder if our drop in Jets ALM crowds has anything to do with their youth systems pissing off a bunch of people each year.
Nah. When we winning we get 10k. Losing under 5k.

BBscone
13-11-2022, 10:47 PM

There's a special level of sad for taking the coaching of year 6 kids this seriously. To the point of logging in to 2 accounts to back and forth with themselves. Laughable.Completely agree. These dicks admonish anonymous keyboard warriors expressing views, driving gossip and rumours as a means of creating interest and yet...they actually want to bitch and moan about 12 year old football?. Get a life or concentrate on your O35s or AA career and leave the kids to enjoy what they can whilst Daddy picks a fight with another Daddy because they both want Johnny to be Tim Cahill or Harry Kewell. Sad.

Goatscheese
14-11-2022, 09:39 AM

JDL will be fine this year, all the kids are turning 13 next year.

Goatscheese
14-11-2022, 09:42 AM
Someone looking for a stir. I didn’t see any of that but magic did well for about 60 minutes considering they are a local npl team. Jets scored a couple very late on to win it. But In saying that I agree with kitz, they should be flogging local teams who haven’t played since what September?

When was the last time Jets 13s played?

TRUMP TOWER
14-11-2022, 11:59 AM
When was the last time Jets 13s played?

Well letÂ’s see, they have been training 2-3 times a week for how many weeks now? And how many intra club trials have they had? JDL kids probably havenÂ’t kicked a ball since JDL finished up in august was it?

Goatscheese
14-11-2022, 12:44 PM
Well letÂ’s see, they have been training 2-3 times a week for how many weeks now? And how many intra club trials have they had? JDL kids probably havenÂ’t kicked a ball since JDL finished up in august was it?

If you don't know when was the last time they played, don't answer.

I do know that this weekend wasn't the first time the Magic team kicked a ball together either.

Not that the score matters, I remember the Jets U15s losing to CCU this time last year by double digits. Yet they finished 2nd in their comp.

KITZ
16-11-2022, 08:12 AM
If you don't know when was the last time they played, don't answer.

I do know that this weekend wasn't the first time the Magic team kicked a ball together either.

Not that the score matters, I remember the Jets U15s losing to CCU this time last year by double digits. Yet they finished 2nd in their comp.

I think the score matters when you are the representative team for the area and lose to CCU by double digits though... that must have raised some concerns early on!

They did come 2nd but the comps down there aren't generally a whitewash either. there was 9 points between them going up and staying in 2 next season. 3 wins.

Goatscheese
16-11-2022, 09:47 AM
I think the score matters when you are the representative team for the area and lose to CCU by double digits though... that must have raised some concerns early on!

They did come 2nd but the comps down there aren't generally a whitewash either. there was 9 points between them going up and staying in 2 next season. 3 wins.

I'd argue about being the representative team for the area. I know the best kids from the area should be in the club but they aren't some are playing for Mariners, some play local. Same with the NPL boys, there are players that are as good as the top boys in those league but don't play in the NPL.

Regardless, the point is that a loss in November hardly means it's all doom and gloom. NPL2 in Sydney is a tough comp and generally better quality than up here so the Jets being promoted and the 15s finishing 2nd is a good achievement and shows that an early pre-season loss means **** all. I see CCU 15s came 6th in the comp 15 points behind 15s Jets

Hunter403
16-11-2022, 11:18 AM
Nice to hear about the Jets but they are not part of the Premier Youth League

mic22
16-11-2022, 01:20 PM
I have a question about coaching at JDL level (sorry if it's not the right topic): what is a reasonable expectation for a JDL coach in the u10-u12 range?
Is it acceptable (or accepted) for it to be "just" a parent, passionate about the game but not necessarily qualified as a football coach?
Are there any requirements in terms of qualifications (courses, certificates, etc.)
Are there any guidelines from NNSW?
Can anyone share their experiences with coaches in this age bracket?
Cheers :)

sapdad
16-11-2022, 03:25 PM
I have a question about coaching at JDL level (sorry if it's not the right topic): what is a reasonable expectation for a JDL coach in the u10-u12 range?
Is it acceptable (or accepted) for it to be "just" a parent, passionate about the game but not necessarily qualified as a football coach?
Are there any requirements in terms of qualifications (courses, certificates, etc.)

Being a parent is ok at that age but most clubs now prefer independent coaches for 13s and up.There is a basic JDL course that i think may still be required but nothing more.A lot of clubs encourage coaches at JDL level to get their C license which isnt everything but if you are inexperienced it will at least provide you with some good guidelines as well as start relationships with mentors and other coaches who you should be listening to.You absolutely need to be a good communicator.The drills and guidelines for JDL arent overly technical,but the more you explain the drills to kids and get them to understand what you are doing the more success you will have with the kids.You also need to be able to deal with a fair bit of feedback from parents.99% of them just have their kids best interests at heart,but there will be conversations that are uncomfortable and you need to be able to deal with it.Its a huge commitment from a time standpoint,and you are expected to be there for all of it.

Aegon
16-11-2022, 05:23 PM

Nothing wrong with Dads at this age. The vast majority of coaches at JDL have their child in the team.

This year a coach without the Skills Training Certificate will not be allowed on the touchline without being alongside an appropriately qualified person.

C License is recommended/required for some clubs but isn't essential until NPL Youth.

Reds Forever
16-11-2022, 10:21 PM
Anyone know anything about u17 players now allowed to play u16 next year?

Adamstown had post on Facebook about it.

Curious to know why?

Goatscheese
17-11-2022, 08:51 AM
Anyone know anything about u17 players now allowed to play u16 next year?

Adamstown had post on Facebook about it.

Curious to know why?

Only allowed if RAE, used to stop at U15

sapdad
17-11-2022, 10:08 AM
Only allowed if RAE, used to stop at U15

What is RAE?

Aegon
17-11-2022, 10:21 AM
Relative Age Exception or something? I think it is called Biological Maturation now.

sapdad
17-11-2022, 10:41 AM
Relative Age Exception or something? I think it is called Biological Maturation now.

From the post it sounds like the regulations have changed because it was calling for ANY NPL and NL1 17s who didnt make an 18s squad can now play back.It didnt mention anything about exemptions,sounded like theres new rules.

Aegon
17-11-2022, 11:05 AM
Looks like the post has been amended.

Reds Forever
17-11-2022, 11:20 AM
Looks like the post has been amended.

Posts been removed now.

mic22
17-11-2022, 11:30 AM
Nothing wrong with Dads at this age. The vast majority of coaches at JDL have their child in the team.

This year a coach without the Skills Training Certificate will not be allowed on the touchline without being alongside an appropriately qualified person.

C License is recommended/required for some clubs but isn't essential until NPL Youth.

Being a parent is ok at that age but most clubs now prefer independent coaches for 13s and up.There is a basic JDL course that i think may still be required but nothing more.A lot of clubs encourage coaches at JDL level to get their C license which isnt everything but if you are inexperienced it will at least provide you with some good guidelines as well as start relationships with mentors and other coaches who you should be listening to.You absolutely need to be a good communicator.The drills and guidelines for JDL arent overly technical,but the more you explain the drills to kids and get them to understand what you are doing the more success you will have with the kids.You also need to be able to deal with a fair bit of feedback from parents.99% of them just have their kids best interests at heart,but there will be conversations that are uncomfortable and you need to be able to deal with it.Its a huge commitment from a time standpoint,and you are expected to be there for all of it.

Thank you for the insight :)

Hunter403
30-11-2022, 04:42 PM
How did Wallsend go with their last chance call for players?

Aegon
02-12-2022, 02:52 PM
How did Wallsend go with their last chance call for players?

Have heard they have sent an email to parents saying NNSWF revoked their youth license and will not be fielding teams this year.

Oldy
02-12-2022, 04:21 PM
in 2022 13s last, 15s 3rd last, and not having 14s or 16s so dropping out is no change really.

Wonder how tronno will fair with their 1 grade of youth?

Aegon
02-12-2022, 04:56 PM
Not sure at all how it will affect the youth league format if Wallsend and maybe Toronto & Singo are not able to field all teams?

NL1 Youth may only have 7 teams (NIAS, Belswans, Kahibah, West Wallsend, Thornton, Southy, Cessnock) to start the season?

ForeverRed
02-12-2022, 09:05 PM
Why aren’t these clubs removed from the competition if they can’t run youth programs, it’s definitely not an even playing field for the other clubs

Jardelsimage
03-12-2022, 07:11 AM
Why aren’t these clubs removed from the competition if they can’t run youth programs, it’s definitely not an even playing field for the other clubs

Maybe there are too many teams not enough kids to fill these teams, 12 teams in NPL that's say 20 players/team, 240 kids/age group? also take out the top 20/age who go to the jets.
are there enough talented kids to fill these spots, then add another 200 from NL1 teams?

Maybe NPL should be the only team with youth or apply, the rest go back to community football.

just a thought...

ForeverRed
03-12-2022, 09:59 AM
I agree

Jim
04-12-2022, 02:01 PM
We can sustain around Youth 16 clubs max. Even thats a stretch. Maybe have 4 teams from NL1 for 2 groups of 8 OR just the top grade.

The Hacker
04-12-2022, 08:45 PM
We can sustain around Youth 16 clubs max. Even thats a stretch. Maybe have 4 teams from NL1 for 2 groups of 8 OR just the top grade.

Maybe just kept it as is plus NL next year.

Hunter403
05-12-2022, 07:14 AM
Maybe just kept it as is plus NL next year.

And the NL1 clubs??? What about them?

The Hacker
05-12-2022, 09:11 AM

Sounds like they are dropping 1 by 1

Goatscheese
05-12-2022, 09:26 AM

They are being removed, Wallsend has just been told they can't have youth teams

Goatscheese
05-12-2022, 09:29 AM

Yeah, we have some NPL clubs struggling to field teams but some NL1 clubs have strong youth programs yet people happy to kick out them while keeping the clubs who struggle to attract and retain players

ForeverRed
05-12-2022, 11:43 AM
They are being removed, Wallsend has just been told they can't have youth teams
If that’s the case then wallsend need to be dropped out as a club, it’s not an even playing field, other clubs are putting in hard work and some aren’t, it’s ridiculous

Goatscheese
05-12-2022, 12:36 PM
If that’s the case then wallsend need to be dropped out as a club, it’s not an even playing field, other clubs are putting in hard work and some aren’t, it’s ridiculous

The whole point of separation is that it doesn't matter if they have them or not. No point making the comp your team is in smaller in the seniors.

sapdad
05-12-2022, 12:50 PM
Ive heard of 2 different kids getting spots from trialing at a club and not getting a spot,but the coach/td has recommended them to another NPL club who took them in.This is great from all parties and well done to the clubs who are happy to help kids out.I heard some NL1 clubs have had great turnouts for trials for both youth and JDL,i hope any kids that didnt make it kept putting their names down elsewhere and get a spot.Maybe NNSW could organise a muster type day for anyone who hasnt got a spot by this stage and get them all together at the facility and get club coaches/TDs there to fill squads if they are still short.Could it hurt?

scowling
05-12-2022, 01:25 PM
A recent discussion I was part of centred around the idea of NNSWF providing a pathway from community football to JDL and/or YPL.

NNSWF would set up a team in each age group, 9s through 16s. Community players who have never been part of the JDL/YPL setup would be allowed to trial/join.

Each player would be allowed one year in this team, before leaving to go back to community, or to a club within the JDL/YPL setup.

Ticks a few boxes for me; including parents unsure of how whether their child can fit into such a system with extra training etc.
Even better if the cost could be reduced/eliminated to entice players who might otherwise not enter the system. Could there be a subsidy or scholarship type approach attempted for transitioning these kids into clubs? Limits as to how many players from an age group can go to a single club at the end of the year?

I'm sure there are valid issues that mean this could never happen, but putting here for discussion.

Hunter403
05-12-2022, 02:33 PM
A recent discussion I was part of centred around the idea of NNSWF providing a pathway from community football to JDL and/or YPL.

NNSWF would set up a team in each age group, 9s through 16s. Community players who have never been part of the JDL/YPL setup would be allowed to trial/join.

Each player would be allowed one year in this team, before leaving to go back to community, or to a club within the JDL/YPL setup.

Ticks a few boxes for me; including parents unsure of how whether their child can fit into such a system with extra training etc.
Even better if the cost could be reduced/eliminated to entice players who might otherwise not enter the system. Could there be a subsidy or scholarship type approach attempted for transitioning these kids into clubs? Limits as to how many players from an age group can go to a single club at the end of the year?

I'm sure there are valid issues that mean this could never happen, but putting here for discussion.

Some interesting points however:
Reestablishing a team in each age group each year would be a significant challenge
NNSWF has no ground beyond the LMRFF so you can imagine the cost to be part of that team having to pay to use that each week
If subsidised by NNSW football the screaming from the clubs/parents who would be subsidising the process would be deafening

ForeverRed
05-12-2022, 09:06 PM
How about everyone goes back and play community footy, no training shirt , no sport bags, no track suit, no academy’s, zones pick a rep team every year, train two nights, if you are any good at 16/17 then try your luck at seniors because the current system just ain’t working, imagine the money all you mums and dads will save, it worked in my day and produced some of the best footballers this town has seen, just a thought

Hurricane
05-12-2022, 09:16 PM
How about everyone goes back and play community footy, no training shirt , no sport bags, no track suit, no academy’s, zones pick a rep team every year, train two nights, if you are any good at 16/17 then try your luck at seniors because the current system just ain’t working, imagine the money all you mums and dads will save, it worked in my day and produced some of the best footballers this town has seen, just a thought

Spot on Red. Some outstanding players 15 and 20 years ago without academies or pathways. The best players played rep football for either Macquarie, Newcastle or Hunter Valley Zones and the best of those represented N.N.S.W at the national titles.

sapdad
05-12-2022, 09:31 PM
Spot on Red. Some outstanding players 15 and 20 years ago without academies or pathways. The best players played rep football for either Macquarie, Newcastle or Hunter Valley Zones and the best of those represented N.N.S.W at the national titles.

And if you ask any of them they will tell you kids these days are way more skilled and overall better players than these former pros were at the same age. These former pros also wish they had the facilities and coaching that kids these days do.Theres plenty of them involved in youth football,get out there and ask them.You all had an NPL back then it was called A grade.yes theres more wank to it now but so is absolutely everything else in this world.Theres no going back so lets try and make the best of it.

ForeverRed
05-12-2022, 09:45 PM
And if you ask any of them they will tell you kids these days are way more skilled and overall better players than these former pros were at the same age. These former pros also wish they had the facilities and coaching that kids these days do.Theres plenty of them involved in youth football,get out there and ask them.You all had an NPL back then it was called A grade.yes theres more wank to it now but so is absolutely everything else in this world.Theres no going back so lets try and make the best of it.

That’s fine, but can you all stop complaining how much it costs please

sapdad
06-12-2022, 02:31 AM
That’s fine, but can you all stop complaining how much it costs please

i cant speak for anyone else but a quick search of my posts will show you i have no problem with the cost and think its money well spent considering all of the training,access and organisation it takes to run a program like this.I think youll find most people complaining about the cost dont even have kids playing NPL/NL1 they just want to stir people up.Ive read enough posts about you on here to know that you have been heavily involved in clubs so you know the costs,and the overwhelming positives a program like this has for kids.My kid wont ever make a dollar out of the game but while ever he is good enough to play at this level id encourage it because of all the other benefits it affords him.

Goatscheese
06-12-2022, 08:53 AM

I hear this a lot and I think about who did it produce? A few mediocre NSL players who managed to get into the local team that never even made it to a grand final or won any tournament. Made a few socceroos but the socceroos under this wonderful system never qualified for a World Cup. Meanwhile this current crap system across Australia is seeing the fruits of labor helped by young players that have only been in this "crap system".

It didn't work in your day at all you're just looking at was the best back then which if in today's environment would be bang up average.

Jardelsimage
06-12-2022, 10:07 AM
I hear this a lot and I think about who did it produce? A few mediocre NSL players who managed to get into the local team that never even made it to a grand final or won any tournament. Made a few socceroos but the socceroos under this wonderful system never qualified for a World Cup. Meanwhile this current crap system across Australia is seeing the fruits of labor helped by young players that have only been in this "crap system".

It didn't work in your day at all you're just looking at was the best back then which if in today's environment would be bang up average.

They say we do have an easier path now days, but that's debatable also, how many of the current crop or close to it come out of Newcastle??

Quality over quantity i think is a better path in Newcastle, yes, we need quality coaching by quality coaches etc. and you need to give everyone a chance to succeed in the game, but at some stage we also need to open to the fact.

That not all will make it, no matter how good the coach is, no matter how many clinics they attend, no matter how many games they play, no matter how much the parents pay. they just won't make it.

The really good ones will shine no-matter the circumstances, the fringe go two ways, some attach on the coat tails of the really good ones and succeed, the others get dragged back down by the mediocre without realizing their true potential.

As i have mentioned before there are not enough kids to fill all these so-called youth/elite spots in Newcastle, yes it does work in the major cities, population plays a big part in this.

I don't think there is an easy answer, but obviously the system is not working, raping and pillaging parents to pay for senior players, overpriced coaches and/or TD's etc, whilst blowing smoke some very ordinary bum holes for $$$ is not the answer.

We can still have the youth programs, just don't have to include every kid who plays football in Newcastle go through it.

cheers

Aegon
06-12-2022, 10:43 AM

"Old man yells at cloud"

Aegon
06-12-2022, 10:46 AM

The community pathway still exists as it's never gone away. How many elite players have come via that pathway in the last 20 years?

But by all means continue to say "back in my day things were better" as it adds so much to the discussion :)

Aegon
06-12-2022, 11:31 AM
They say we do have an easier path now days, but that's debatable also, how many of the current crop or close to it come out of Newcastle??

Quality over quantity i think is a better path in Newcastle, yes, we need quality coaching by quality coaches etc. and you need to give everyone a chance to succeed in the game, but at some stage we also need to open to the fact.

That not all will make it, no matter how good the coach is, no matter how many clinics they attend, no matter how many games they play, no matter how much the parents pay. they just won't make it.

The really good ones will shine no-matter the circumstances, the fringe go two ways, some attach on the coat tails of the really good ones and succeed, the others get dragged back down by the mediocre without realizing their true potential.

As i have mentioned before there are not enough kids to fill all these so-called youth/elite spots in Newcastle, yes it does work in the major cities, population plays a big part in this.

I don't think there is an easy answer, but obviously the system is not working, raping and pillaging parents to pay for senior players, overpriced coaches and/or TD's etc, whilst blowing smoke some very ordinary bum holes for $$$ is not the answer.

We can still have the youth programs, just don't have to include every kid who plays football in Newcastle go through it.

cheers

A quick look at 2022 numbers (boys/mixed):
U12's

Interdistrict:
10 grades, Avg. 8 teams per grade, 80 teams.
11v11 with a conservative estimate of 13 players per team
= 1040 players

JDL
1 grade, 29 teams
9v9 average of 11 players per team, lets round it up to 12 though.
= 348 players

U13's

ID's
6 grades, avg. 8 teams per grade, 60 teams.
11v11 estimate of 14 players per team
= 840 players

NPL/NL1
2 grades, 10 & 8 (-NIAS, MNC, NC), 18 teams
Estimate of 15/16 players per team. Lets just say 16.
= 288 players

U14's
ID's
5 grades, 8 teams per grade, 40 teams.
Estimate of 14/15 players per team. Lets say 14.
= 560 players

NPL/NL1
= 288 players

It doesn't look to me like every player is forced to be part of the elite pathways.

KITZ
06-12-2022, 12:09 PM

What a backwards idea. They were the best footballers of their time... Now, would they keep up? probably not. It's also elitist to pick rep teams like that and does exactly what everyone is always complaining about football being like.

Judging by the Socceroos its working better then maybe people are willing to let on. It takes more work to get there not less - the AIS and support systems around footballers needs to increase not be removed.

KITZ
06-12-2022, 12:13 PM
"Old man yells at cloud"

I wish there was a GIF for this. lol

Jardelsimage
06-12-2022, 12:26 PM
A quick look at 2022 numbers (boys/mixed):
U12's

Interdistrict:
10 grades, Avg. 8 teams per grade, 80 teams.
11v11 with a conservative estimate of 13 players per team
= 1040 players

JDL
1 grade, 29 teams
9v9 average of 11 players per team, lets round it up to 12 though.
= 348 players

U13's

ID's
6 grades, avg. 8 teams per grade, 60 teams.
11v11 estimate of 14 players per team
= 840 players

NPL/NL1
= 288 players

U14's
ID's
5 grades, 8 teams per grade, 40 teams.
Estimate of 14/15 players per team. Lets say 14.
= 560 players

NPL/NL1
= 288 players

It doesn't look to me like every player is forced to be part of the elite pathways.

Wow that's great, love stats..but it was a throw away comment about every kid who plays football.

I know the system quite well and i am very aware of how many teams/players are out there.

Anyways the point is there are still too many players in the system that are, to be honest, just shite and clubs and others are pulling in big dollars telling us all how good they are, when i think a still more elite pathway would benefit better..

But that's my opinion...cheers

Aegon
06-12-2022, 12:29 PM
I wish there was a GIF for this. lol

https://tenor.com/bmBwB.gif

ForeverRed
06-12-2022, 12:34 PM
"Old man yells at cloud"sounds like someone didn’t get picked in the u12s 😢😢

samcan
06-12-2022, 01:54 PM
"Old man yells at cloud"

Others banned for inciting references. A Mod should know better.

Aegon
06-12-2022, 02:27 PM
Others banned for inciting references. A Mod should know better.

Feel free to review FR's posting history in youth and JDL to see if there is any positive or constructive comments.
The comment/.gif are in response to the repeated nature of the above.

Continually saying youth/jdl is crap without actually contributing any recommendations or ideas apart from go back to how it was in the past justifies the tongue in cheek response. In my opinion anyway.

Aegon
06-12-2022, 02:35 PM
sounds like someone didn’t get picked in the u12s ����

I didn't play Football until Over 35's and judging by my performances I probably wouldn't have ben picked. Not sure this has any relevance though.

ForeverRed
06-12-2022, 05:28 PM
Feel free to review FR's posting history in youth and JDL to see if there is any positive or constructive comments.
The comment/.gif are in response to the repeated nature of the above.

Continually saying youth/jdl is crap without actually contributing any recommendations or ideas apart from go back to how it was in the past justifies the tongue in cheek response. In my opinion anyway.

Go and read my post, it states at the end “ just a thought””, it’s a public forum if you don’t like an opinion you should jog on and go yell at some clouds

prawnhead
06-12-2022, 06:06 PM
I didn't play Football until Over 35's and judging by my performances I probably wouldn't have ben picked. Not sure this has any relevance though.

Didn’t lace a boot until O/35’s - thanks for clarifying that, as I’ve just read your posting history and now it makes a lot more sense 😁

Bremsstrahlung
07-12-2022, 06:22 AM
NewcastleFootball.net Theory - the longer a thread continues, the chances of comments turning from constructive contributions to personal attacks increases.

E.g. “wow, a new Youth Football Thread, let’s see how many pages it takes for Newcastlefootball.net theory to be proven correct”

sapdad
07-12-2022, 05:10 PM
I wonder if a club like Kotara South would be interested in eventually joining in NPL/NL1 youth now that it has been decoupled?They seem to have plenty of kids and there have been so many good kids we've met along the way that started their football at Kotara South but moved on to join JDL then progress.Maybe if JDL was offered there it could lead to fielding teams in youth.If im not mistaken they were a part of the NET program back in the day?

Hunter403
07-12-2022, 05:12 PM
I wonder if a club like Kotara South would be interested in eventually joining in NPL/NL1 youth now that it has been decoupled?They seem to have plenty of kids and there have been so many good kids we've met along the way that started their football at Kotara South but moved on to join JDL then progress.Maybe if JDL was offered there it could lead to fielding teams in youth.If im not mistaken they were a part of the NET program back in the day?

They might be but if they still play as Nesbitt, it would never meet the facilities criteria

Bremsstrahlung
07-12-2022, 07:59 PM
I think NNSW need to get together with all the interested clubs and say this is what 2025 looks like.
At the end, we have current NPL, NPL2 made up of current and new, etc. whatever it is. Stick to it. Promotion relegation. Put some excitement and competitiveness back into the comps. NL1 is dying because nobody cares. If you win, who cares, if you lose who cares. Nobody dropping out or getting relegatedz
Get the clubs that are interested in NPL, developing and ambitious or consistent good results and formulate some competitions and pathways for clubs.
There’s no point trying to promote a Belswans or Dudley or whoever (just randomly picked) if the club/members don’t really want to go up divisions. And that’s fine. Each to their own. But clubs like kahibah, Southy, mayfield, west lakes, warners bay or suns or whoever (again randomly named) who may aspire to bigger things shouldn’t be restricted.

Once they can sort out what the premier comps look like. Same process, let the clubs interested in youth put together a program and do this Youth League in a similar way. Let kotara south or warners bay or whoever enter the lowest tier of the comp (provided they field all teams, meet coaching requirements etc) if they want to.
Some clubs may be interested in youth and do it well, others may not, maybe relationships can form between a youth club and an NPL club.

Just think you need to know what’s happening at the top, for kids and parents to see the progression plan.

Aegon
07-12-2022, 08:39 PM
I think NNSW need to get together with all the interested clubs and say this is what 2025 looks like.
At the end, we have current NPL, NPL2 made up of current and new, etc. whatever it is. Stick to it. Promotion relegation. Put some excitement and competitiveness back into the comps. NL1 is dying because nobody cares. If you win, who cares, if you lose who cares. Nobody dropping out or getting relegatedz
Get the clubs that are interested in NPL, developing and ambitious or consistent good results and formulate some competitions and pathways for clubs.
There’s no point trying to promote a Belswans or Dudley or whoever (just randomly picked) if the club/members don’t really want to go up divisions. And that’s fine. Each to their own. But clubs like kahibah, Southy, mayfield, west lakes, warners bay or suns or whoever (again randomly named) who may aspire to bigger things shouldn’t be restricted.

Once they can sort out what the premier comps look like. Same process, let the clubs interested in youth put together a program and do this Youth League in a similar way. Let kotara south or warners bay or whoever enter the lowest tier of the comp (provided they field all teams, meet coaching requirements etc) if they want to.
Some clubs may be interested in youth and do it well, others may not, maybe relationships can form between a youth club and an NPL club.

Just think you need to know what’s happening at the top, for kids and parents to see the progression plan.

I think a clear vision communicated with enough time to plan is essential.

travellingman
09-12-2022, 03:50 PM
What a backwards idea. They were the best footballers of their time... Now, would they keep up? probably not. It's also elitist to pick rep teams like that and does exactly what everyone is always complaining about football being like.

Judging by the Socceroos its working better then maybe people are willing to let on. It takes more work to get there not less - the AIS and support systems around footballers needs to increase not be removed.

My question is if you don't pick rep teams how will kids aspire to get better?
I'm sure there are kids in JDL/SAP at NPL/NL1 clubs that are aspiring to get into the Jets system, other's may just want to play at NPL/NL1 level with their mates.
Sport in general starts as community sport and as people improve and develop, they get to where they want to be.
Some people will play just for fun and stay in community football their whole career. Others will aim higher, and some will even get to the top.

Aegon
22-12-2022, 01:10 PM
Looks like 2023 TSP invitations have been sent out for the U13-U16's (17's for girls) groups for next year.
With TSP no longer covering U12's or below it looks like they made the call to increase TSP numbers from 12 to 32 players per group.
4 x 10 week cycles with a game every second week.
Starts 30th of January and runs till mid September.
$90 per cycle with all sessions in the hunter regions @ speers point.

Congratulations to all the boys and girls selected.

KITZ
22-12-2022, 02:09 PM
Looks like 2023 TSP invitations have been sent out for the U13-U16's (17's for girls) groups for next year.
With TSP no longer covering U12's or below it looks like they made the call to increase TSP numbers from 12 to 32 players per group.
4 x 10 week cycles with a game every second week.
Starts 30th of January and runs till mid September.
$90 per cycle with all sessions in the hunter regions @ speers point.

Congratulations to all the boys and girls selected.

Not a lot left to TSP now with a game every second week - just not enough coaches I suspect.

Pre academy has gone out today as well.

sapdad
22-12-2022, 10:31 PM
The draw for the first section of the season is out.One round against all teams.No word on what happens after than.Nothing on pre-season cup/trials yet either.

sapdad
22-12-2022, 10:44 PM
14 teams in Div 1, 8 in Div 2. How they are going to work out part 2 of the draw still seems a mystery. Drop 2 teams or 4? Id almost be happy with 10 in Div 1 and 12 in Div 2 for 2nd half of the season.Theres no right or wrong answer I guess.

BBscone
24-12-2022, 01:54 AM
I didn't play Football until Over 35's and judging by my performances I probably wouldn't have ben picked. Not sure this has any relevance though. Based on some of the bile that spews forth from your posts historically, your comment here is as relevant as your comments ever are. Thanks for clarifying.

Aegon
24-12-2022, 09:40 AM
14 teams in Div 1, 8 in Div 2. How they are going to work out part 2 of the draw still seems a mystery. Drop 2 teams or 4? Id almost be happy with 10 in Div 1 and 12 in Div 2 for 2nd half of the season.Theres no right or wrong answer I guess.

At the season mid point I think it ends up as:
League A = 8
League B = 8
League C = 6

Bremsstrahlung
24-12-2022, 01:39 PM
Based on some of the bile that spews forth from your posts historically, your comment here is as relevant as your comments ever are. Thanks for clarifying.

Good job with the personal attacks….
:deadhorse:

The Hacker
24-12-2022, 03:21 PM
At the season mid point I think it ends up as:
League A = 8
League B = 8
League C = 6

6 is an average number for a comp

Eastwest
24-12-2022, 03:38 PM

8 8 6 is a decent comp formation. 6 team comp wraps up first.

Granted It does mean only 2 teams would be "promoted" to the NPL div2 but at least its still some reward.

Current format is a farce

sapdad
24-12-2022, 06:21 PM
8 8 6 is a decent comp formation. 6 team comp wraps up first.

Granted It does mean only 2 teams would be "promoted" to the NPL div2 but at least its still some reward.

Current format is a farce

Having a fair idea who the teams are that would be grouped for part 2 of the season, 8/8/6 seems fairest. The top 2 teams in NL1 will do well against the bottom 6 NPL clubs. No getting around the fact that even the bottom 2 clubs in the top 8 will be in for some rough days. Some of the 'relegated' NPL teams should be happy with this format.

djjones
03-01-2023, 04:53 PM
Having a fair idea who the teams are that would be grouped for part 2 of the season, 8/8/6 seems fairest. The top 2 teams in NL1 will do well against the bottom 6 NPL clubs. No getting around the fact that even the bottom 2 clubs in the top 8 will be in for some rough days. Some of the 'relegated' NPL teams should be happy with this format.

Good to see the fed having a go at something different.

KITZ
04-01-2023, 08:58 PM
Seeing lots of trial games being registered, good to see clubs doing a bit of travel to play against different teams from out of the area.

sapdad
12-01-2023, 10:58 PM
The pre-season youth cup draw has been partially released.Groups of 4 teams in a round robin format.It looks like the 12 NPL teams from 2 years ago are in the first 3 groups,New Lambton and Cooks Hill have been grouped with the 8 NL1 clubs so there are byes in some of the groups.No idea how any finals structure will work.

The Hacker
12-01-2023, 11:03 PM
The pre-season youth cup draw has been partially released.Groups of 4 teams in a round robin format.It looks like the 12 NPL teams from 2 years ago are in the first 3 groups,New Lambton and Cooks Hill have been grouped with the 8 NL1 clubs so there are byes in some of the groups.No idea how any finals structure will work.

Where can it be found. Tough on cookers and NL

sapdad
12-01-2023, 11:25 PM
Where can it be found. Tough on cookers and NL

Sorry I was shown it on another parents phone tonight.It was on an app I'd never used before.They were forwarded it from their club.I am assuming all clubs would have that information by now.No idea why theyve separated New Lambton and Cooks Hill.Agree its not great.

edit:the app is called squaddie.I think thats how its spelt.

Reds Forever
13-01-2023, 12:14 AM
https://registration.squadi.com/livescoreSeasonFixture?organisationKey=743b0577-c7cd-41bf-b33b-41d8062265a2&competitionUniqueKey=d5a0e982-c81f-438d-8dbc-93c59f8d1226&yearId=5

sapdad
13-01-2023, 12:35 AM
https://registration.squadi.com/livescoreSeasonFixture?organisationKey=743b0577-c7cd-41bf-b33b-41d8062265a2&competitionUniqueKey=d5a0e982-c81f-438d-8dbc-93c59f8d1226&yearId=5

Thanks for posting that.It looks like 2 different competitions.One called the cup with NPL teams and one called the plate with NL1 teams,New Lambton and Cooks Hill.Thats very different to what we were told pre-Christmas.

Hunter403
13-01-2023, 05:27 AM

Seems in line with the preseason trial games promised by NNSW. A shame about the byes for some. Good practice games where the results are meaningless and where NNSW has relieved the clubs of the burden of arranging trials. A good chance for coaches to try things.

northern_swan
13-01-2023, 02:06 PM
What are peoples thoughts on squadi?

For mine it’s a downgrade on GameDay

djjones
13-01-2023, 05:33 PM
What are peoples thoughts on squadi?

For mine it’s a downgrade on GameDay

Isport was best. Compact, less clicks, all tables on one page if wanted.

Eastwest
23-01-2023, 02:18 PM
How did New Lambton youth go against Parramatta on the weekend?

samcan
17-02-2023, 02:45 PM
How did New Lambton youth go against Parramatta on the weekend?

down 8-0.

Hunter403
18-02-2023, 05:58 PM
Any PYL games today? Hope common sense prevailed and the kids went swimming instead. I expect some were keen to play, sheep stations and all that.

BS detecor
18-02-2023, 06:34 PM
Any PYL games today? Hope common sense prevailed and the kids went swimming instead. I expect some were keen to play, sheep stations and all that.

Edgy v Magic called off after 13s

Hunter403
18-02-2023, 06:35 PM
Edgy v Magic called off after 13s

Good call

sapdad
18-02-2023, 07:49 PM
Adamstown played in Coffs Harbour today.Was told all games were played.

Aegon
19-02-2023, 06:59 PM
Valo v Azzurri 13’s went ahead yesterday. All other grades cancelled.

sapdad
27-02-2023, 10:24 AM
After reading about some more scorelines and performances over the first few weeks of the pre-season its clear theres nowhere near enough talent for a 14 team top division in youth.They need to drop at least 6 clubs back to NL1 for the 2nd half of the season and at most bring 2 back up to start 2024.From there just have 2 up 2 down every year.6 new teams in NL1 will make it a really strong comp and a good place to develop players who are not ready for the top tier of NPL yet.

Hunter403
27-02-2023, 10:38 AM
After reading about some more scorelines and performances over the first few weeks of the pre-season its clear theres nowhere near enough talent for a 14 team top division in youth.They need to drop at least 6 clubs back to NL1 for the 2nd half of the season and at most bring 2 back up to start 2024.From there just have 2 up 2 down every year.6 new teams in NL1 will make it a really strong comp and a good place to develop players who are not ready for the top tier of NPL yet.

mate, that has been clear to everyone except NNSW football for years.
The additional stupidity of scheduling this pre season BS in Feb (summer) during the day only adds to their incompetence. It seems more games are cancelled than played.

Aegon
27-02-2023, 10:59 AM
The additional stupidity of scheduling this pre season BS in Feb (summer) during the day only adds to their incompetence. It seems more games are cancelled than played.

Olympic have bit the bullet in advance and re-scheduled the games to night games mid week.
Makes much more sense.

sapdad
27-02-2023, 11:35 AM

Clubs would still be playing trials this time of year regardless.Good to hear some clubs at least trying to make it safer for the kids by playing at night.Parents have told me North Coast have all their preseason games at home in Coffs which is even hotter than down here.With the clubs breaking seniors away from juniors theres no excuses to organise the comps in the best interests of the kids.Remeber as well that NL1 is only a 2 or 3 team comp in most grades.Add in the bottom half of NPL kids and that whole level gets raised immediately.

Reds Forever
27-02-2023, 03:02 PM
Clubs would still be playing trials this time of year regardless.Good to hear some clubs at least trying to make it safer for the kids by playing at night.Parents have told me North Coast have all their preseason games at home in Coffs which is even hotter than down here.With the clubs breaking seniors away from juniors theres no excuses to organise the comps in the best interests of the kids.Remeber as well that NL1 is only a 2 or 3 team comp in most grades.Add in the bottom half of NPL kids and that whole level gets raised immediately.

Yes that's correct. Mid Coast and North Coast play all their pre season games at home. Stupidly they expect teams to play on Saturday in Coffs with first game at 11am.

Have also heard that both Coasts teams will play in semi finals of pre season cup no matter where they finish.

Also, both Coast teams can't get relegated from tier 1 of NPL.

Hunter403
27-02-2023, 06:12 PM
Have also heard that both Coasts teams will play in semi finals of pre season cup no matter where they finish.

Hardly seems fair

Taffy
28-02-2023, 12:35 PM
Clubs would still be playing trials this time of year regardless.[\QUOTE]

Exactly right people wanting to have a whinge when clubs have been doing this already, not to mention clubs playing games in January and early Feb when it has been just as hot if not more without the need for Northern.

[QUOTE]Parents have told me North Coast have all their preseason games at home in Coffs

This is true all regional teams play their games at home for the cup. Though the teams that have travelled to Coffs or Taree for the cup won't be travelling there again during the competition proper. Clubs travel up there once, like it was before.

With the clubs breaking seniors away from juniors theres no excuses to organise the comps in the best interests of the kids.

Which is exactly what they are doing.

You've heard wrong, that is just a lie.

This is also incorrect.

BBscone
02-03-2023, 10:37 AM
After reading about some more scorelines and performances over the first few weeks of the pre-season its clear theres nowhere near enough talent for a 14 team top division in youth.They need to drop at least 6 clubs back to NL1 for the 2nd half of the season and at most bring 2 back up to start 2024.From there just have 2 up 2 down every year.6 new teams in NL1 will make it a really strong comp and a good place to develop players who are not ready for the top tier of NPL yet.I am just curious what makes you a good judge? Experience tells me that regardless of the number of teams or quality of coaches the cream rises and the committed kids stick with it. Regardless of Club, (although some Clubs have a poor record). The community and Zone competitions are littered with ex NPL Youth boys who tip over into "life" at 18 and move on. The bigger the pool, the better chance of keeping retention at feasible levels to grow the competition. Limiting Youth grades now to 6/8 teams might be attractive on the eye but it doesnt guarantee those 80 odd kids stay. Limit supply in any business and your business dies.

Aegon
02-03-2023, 10:47 AM
I am just curious what makes you a good judge? Experience tells me that regardless of the number of teams or quality of coaches the cream rises and the committed kids stick with it. Regardless of Club, (although some Clubs have a poor record). The community and Zone competitions are littered with ex NPL Youth boys who tip over into "life" at 18 and move on. The bigger the pool, the better chance of keeping retention at feasible levels to grow the competition. Limiting Youth grades now to 6/8 teams might be attractive on the eye but it doesnt guarantee those 80 odd kids stay. Limit supply in any business and your business dies.

It's more to do with playing a higher standard of football in more competitive games for both the top and bottom end of the 14 teams. A bigger competition results in a bigger disparity in ability from top to bottom.

The kids in the top end aren't challenged enough.
The kids at the bottom lose confidence and enjoyment.

2 grades of 8 teams would allow the top 200-250 kids in the age group to compete in more evenly matched and challenging games.

sapdad
02-03-2023, 11:14 AM
I am just curious what makes you a good judge? Experience tells me that regardless of the number of teams or quality of coaches the cream rises and the committed kids stick with it. Regardless of Club, (although some Clubs have a poor record). The community and Zone competitions are littered with ex NPL Youth boys who tip over into "life" at 18 and move on. The bigger the pool, the better chance of keeping retention at feasible levels to grow the competition. Limiting Youth grades now to 6/8 teams might be attractive on the eye but it doesnt guarantee those 80 odd kids stay. Limit supply in any business and your business dies.

Nowhere did I say shrink the pool.The same amount of kids are still out there but they are just now playing at a more appropriate level.Kids in NL1 will still get seen and recruited every year in to NPL and with promotion and relegation it gives clubs a very real incentive to want to achieve.Like it or not the best kids from teams that are getting flogged every week move on more than they stay and continue to get hammered.You only have to look at community players going straight into top 4 NPL teams this year to see that clubs are always out there casting as wide a net as possible in order to improve.The fact is the bottom teams of NPL are closer to the top of NL1 than they to the top of NPL.Why not group all them together and improve both areas?Id argue that will grow the pool of players long term than shrink it.

sapdad
02-03-2023, 11:18 AM
Limiting Youth grades now to 6/8 teams might be attractive on the eye but it doesnt guarantee those 80 odd kids stay.
Sorry,just in case my original post wasnt clear, I said drop 6 teams and go with between 8-10 with 2 up and 2 down every year.6 teams isnt enough,but there is a clear 8 at the moment across all grades.

AVB
02-03-2023, 01:03 PM
Sorry,just in case my original post wasnt clear, I said drop 6 teams and go with between 8-10 with 2 up and 2 down every year.6 teams isnt enough,but there is a clear 8 at the moment across all grades.

The reality is NNSW are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. There is no clear answer.

They have placed Cooks Hill and New Lambton in the 2nd tier of the pre-season cup, they have won by some big margins.

CH u13s - 2 games played, +14GD
CH u14s - 2 games played, +18GD
NL u13s - 1 games played, +13GD
NL u15s - 1 games played, +9GD

The counterpoint to all this chat about fewer teams and more levels is that a club's record on match day is not always a reflection of the club's commitment/performance at youth development.

If we continue to look at NL and CH as examples, they are both likely to end up in the 2nd tier mid-season, however their clubs' growth in the last few years would suggest they have excellent programs. From the outside looking in, both are run by professional coaches. CH has Craig Deans who ran an A League Academy and NL has Clayton Zane who is a full time professional coach.

The more clubs we have in the top tier, the more pressure on clubs to have quality programs that offer not just great youth development, but great value for money. Having fewer clubs in the top tier rewards the status quo.

How many players will CH and NL loose end of the season, not because they aren't excellent programs, but because Little Johnny wants to play in the top division regardless of the quality of the program.

sapdad
02-03-2023, 01:39 PM
The reality is NNSW are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. There is no clear answer.
I agree.

They have placed Cooks Hill and New Lambton in the 2nd tier of the pre-season cup, they have won by some big margins.
New Lambton and Cooks Hill should never have been put in the 2nd tier.They earned the right to be in the main NPL draw and its poor management on NNSW part that they were excluded.

If we continue to look at NL and CH as examples, they are both likely to end up in the 2nd tier mid-season, however their clubs' growth in the last few years would suggest they have excellent programs. From the outside looking in, both are run by professional coaches. CH has Craig Deans who ran an A League Academy and NL has Clayton Zane who is a full time professional coach.

They have excellent programs,but they will still struggle in the first few years at NPL level so its more about maintaining the kids long term interest and development in the game.Also,Cooks Hills results have improved compared to their first year in NPL (yes,with a small sample size).Does anyone know how many kids stayed from last year?Have they been better at recruiting?For sure the coaching/TD aspect has helped but as weve seen with some clubs,bringing a bunch of new kids in every year then patting yourself on the back because of improved results kind of defeats the whole point of development.Valentine is going to be an interesting test case this year.

How many players will CH and NL loose end of the season, not because they aren't excellent programs, but because Little Johnny wants to play in the top division regardless of the quality of the program.
How many will they lose because the kids dont want to go up and get flogged by the top teams every week because they arent ready physically or technically?Players move from all clubs at all times for all reasons.Little Johnny is also moving from the bottom placed NPL team if he feels hes good enough.Theres just as much player movement between the top clubs as well.

My main point is by that strengthening the 2nd tier it creates a bigger pool of players ready for senior football once they catch up technically and physically.We seem to have 3 options available for the bottom half of youth at the moment.1)Play all year against superior players and teams and get flogged.2)Play half and half in each level (the new system).3)Keep them separated all year then promote and relegate.Im happy to see how plan #2 goes this year and after an appropriate time frame be able to answer all of the questions you posed with hard data and experience.

Taffy
02-03-2023, 02:39 PM
New Lambton and Cooks Hill should never have been put in the 2nd tier.They earned the right to be in the main NPL draw and its poor management on NNSW part that they were excluded.

Rubbish, the comp was always 2 teams of 12 with the top 12 teams into the Cup and the bottom 12 into the plate. Cooks Hill came in bottom of the club championship in Boys NPL last year mainly because they got 0 points in their 16s and so finished 12th. New Lambton came in 13th spot. They weren't excluded at all it is Premier Youth Leauge now all the teams are in it together.

My main point is by that strengthening the 2nd tier it creates a bigger pool of players ready for senior football once they catch up technically and physically.We seem to have 3 options available for the bottom half of youth at the moment.1)Play all year against superior players and teams and get flogged.2)Play half and half in each level (the new system).3)Keep them separated all year then promote and relegate.Im happy to see how plan #2 goes this year and after an appropriate time frame be able to answer all of the questions you posed with hard data and experience.

You are correct in this, half way through each season when they break into 3 groups, all teams should then play against teams of similar quality every week improving all players, as well as keep more kids interested. The talent pool will remain large and hopefully increase and collectively the talent pool will improve.

And to measure success of it like you say requires hard data and experience, that's not till the current crop of U13s finish their first year of U18s. Can't assess before because there is still players at clubs from the old systems.

Eastwest
02-03-2023, 03:37 PM
For mine, having 3 groups of 8 for the 2nd round is still the best model imo.

After the first round of home & away the teams will be well tested and sorted.

The 2nd round gives teams a closer challenge more often, less score blowouts etc. Sure, there'll be a first & last but less smashings.
And for me will keep more kids in the game.

May also get clubs to improve their youth. Going from 3rd tier to 2nd will show an improvement.

Last, as a spectator will finally see more competitive games.

Taffy
02-03-2023, 03:54 PM
For mine, having 3 groups of 8 for the 2nd round is still the best model imo.

After the first round of home & away the teams will be well tested and sorted.

The 2nd round gives teams a closer challenge more often, less score blowouts etc. Sure, there'll be a first & last but less smashings.
And for me will keep more kids in the game.

May also get clubs to improve their youth. Going from 3rd tier to 2nd will show an improvement.

Last, as a spectator will finally see more competitive games.

All strong reasons, certainly be better than what we have had even in boys NPL over the past few years

TheCancer
05-03-2023, 12:04 AM
Honestly, how atrocious is the refereeing in Coffs Harbour?
The standard that they provide has to be questioned as it’s not fair to any playing group of any team that plays up there.
It creates a hostile environment, as the parents from there are very delusional to think what is fished out to travelling teams is fair, p.s they hate losing. Hahahaha

Taffy
06-03-2023, 09:29 AM
Honestly, how atrocious is the refereeing in Coffs Harbour?
The standard that they provide has to be questioned as it’s not fair to any playing group of any team that plays up there.
It creates a hostile environment, as the parents from there are very delusional to think what is fished out to travelling teams is fair, p.s they hate losing. Hahahaha

First time?

TheCancer
07-03-2023, 03:39 PM
First time?

it sure was, WOW, they for real up there? adult referees as well, you would think that they'd have more control over a game and keep the game more free flowing instead of stop, start and explain when the synthetic grass was green.

why are they in our comp. its a joke.

Taffy
15-03-2023, 09:57 AM
Thoughts on the first Pre-Season Cup? Overall I think it was good looks like teams from 9 of the 12 clubs got to participate in a finals series which normally wouldn't happen so a good experience for players in those teams. Teams that are in the grand finals probably aren't a surprise except in the 18s where Lakes have made it through. Is it a cupset or is it expected? Past performance tell me it is the former.

Aegon
15-03-2023, 10:45 AM
All fixtures on Sunday

Pre Season Cup @ Macquarie Field
13's @ 9am
Jaffas v Edgeworth

14's @ 10:40am
Mid Coast v Jaffas

15's @ 12:20pm
Magic v Valentine

16's @ 2pm
Maitland v Olympic

18's @ 3:40pm
Lakes v Olympic

Pre Season Plate @ Blacksmiths
13's @ 9am
New Lambton vs Cooks Hill

14's @ 10:40am

15's @ 12:20pm

16's @ 2pm

18's @ 3:40pm
New Lambton vs Belswans

Aegon
15-03-2023, 10:47 AM
Thoughts on the first Pre-Season Cup? Overall I think it was good looks like teams from 9 of the 12 clubs got to participate in a finals series which normally wouldn't happen so a good experience for players in those teams. Teams that are in the grand finals probably aren't a surprise except in the 18s where Lakes have made it through. Is it a cupset or is it expected? Past performance tell me it is the former.

The lazy placing of Cooks Hill and New Lambton in the plate competition was really poor and has resulted in lop sided scores and predictable finals as per the above.

On a positive the kids seem to really have enjoyed having something tangible to play for and it is great to see a variety of teams playing for a trophy.

Not quite sure why semi finals were at LMRFF last week but the finals are now @ Macquarie and Blacksmiths.

Taffy
15-03-2023, 12:20 PM
The lazy placing of Cooks Hill and New Lambton in the plate competition was really poor and has resulted in lop sided scores and predictable finals as per the above.

24 teams top 12 into cup bottom 12 into plate. New Lambton being 14th means they go in, Cooks Hill finishing bottom of the club championship last year mainly because they had no 16s is also why. Which is probably reflected in that their 18s failed to make the finals.

If those two go into the Cup, then you have 2 groups with 4, or you drop another 2 out. Which 2 would you propose should've been in the plate instead?

Not quite sure why semi finals were at LMRFF last week but the finals are now @ Macquarie and Blacksmiths.

I did see an email where Northern asked if any clubs would like to host the semis last weekend but none took the opportunity to make a bucket load of cash from their canteen. Both Cooks Hill and South Cardiff hosted the Plate semis

Agree though it seems the kids did enjoy having something to play for and probably would prefer that over trial matches which would've occurred during that week anyway.

Aegon
15-03-2023, 01:16 PM
24 teams top 12 into cup bottom 12 into plate. New Lambton being 14th means they go in, Cooks Hill finishing bottom of the club championship last year mainly because they had no 16s is also why. Which is probably reflected in that their 18s failed to make the finals.

If those two go into the Cup, then you have 2 groups with 4, or you drop another 2 out. Which 2 would you propose should've been in the plate instead?

In my opinion - Cup, Plate & Shield. 3 tiers, 3 trophies.

I did see an email where Northern asked if any clubs would like to host the semis last weekend but none took the opportunity to make a bucket load of cash from their canteen. Both Cooks Hill and South Cardiff hosted the Plate semis

Cheers, that makes more sense.

The Hacker
15-03-2023, 01:40 PM
Is it true Azzurri don’t have a 16’s team