View Full Version : 2022 NPL Youth thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

djjones
14-01-2022, 02:46 PM
:popcorn:

Captain_Carl
25-01-2022, 05:55 AM

Preaseason trials underway. Cooks Hill vs Weston. Cooks Hill won U13s 4-3 and U15s 3-1. Weston won U14s 3-1 and U16s 2-0. Any other results people know of?

KITZ
25-01-2022, 02:02 PM
Preaseason trials underway. Cooks Hill vs Weston. Cooks Hill won U13s 4-3 and U15s 3-1. Weston won U14s 3-1 and U16s 2-0. Any other results people know of?

I’d say most are just heading back to training this week or next. Might see something more over the next few weeks.

Eastwest
25-01-2022, 05:01 PM

Will take a little while for cookers to settle into the comp. Wonder if they kept a large part of their NL1 youth teams.

Any trials coming up?

Captain_Carl
25-01-2022, 05:45 PM
Will take a little while for cookers to settle into the comp. Wonder if they kept a large part of their NL1 youth teams.

Any trials coming up?

Edgeworth vs Central Coast United this weekend.

Jardelsimage
25-01-2022, 09:24 PM
Edgeworth vs Central Coast United this weekend.

i thought we not allowed to play teams from the central coast?????

KITZ
25-01-2022, 10:17 PM
i thought we not allowed to play teams from the central coast?????

Since when? We had trial games against them last year. What would be the rationale behind that decision?

Daz
25-01-2022, 10:17 PM
The coast is delisted by fa aren’t they?

Oldy
25-01-2022, 10:29 PM

yep. but they can have as long as they like to fix it.

northern_swan
25-01-2022, 11:17 PM
Central Coast United & the Mariners aren’t part of the rebel comp & are still affiliated to FNSW at that level

Captain_Carl
26-01-2022, 05:07 AM
Azzurri vs Valo trials this weekend.

KITZ
26-01-2022, 03:00 PM

No, none of the premier (NPL and above) teams joined in that experiment. They wouldn't because they'd no longer have teams to field in NPL and their JDL is registered up here with northern ( well was last year, I assume the same this year?).

Goatscheese
27-01-2022, 09:58 AM

Any trials coming up?

No they didn't and are now looking for players.

AVB
27-01-2022, 10:37 AM
No they didn't and are now looking for players.

From what I heard they had decent amount of players chose not to trial and requested to play in Community Teams instead of NPL or went to other NL1 teams. Most of the 2021 players that were keen, were retained in the NPL teams for 2022.

Looks to me like a lot of kids were happy being toward the top of the table in 2nd division teams and weren't that interested in being NPL up agasint the traditional powerhouse teams.

To be fair a quick look at the 2021 ladders show why:

u13s W GD
9th 1 -64
10th 2 -67
11th 0 -125

u14s W GD
9th 3 -60
10th 3 -59
11th 3 -67

u15s W GD
9th 1 -31
10th 2 -58
11th 1 -72

u16s W GD
9th 3 -46
10th 1 -55
11th 1 -52

Thats alot of teams/players having very rough years, and it happens year on year. I can see why so many kids/parents would be happy playing NL1 at clubs like Cooks Hill where they know theyll be fighting for top of the table.

KITZ
27-01-2022, 05:26 PM
From what I heard they had decent amount of players chose not to trial and requested to play in Community Teams instead of NPL or went to other NL1 teams. Most of the 2021 players that were keen, were retained in the NPL teams for 2022.

Looks to me like a lot of kids were happy being toward the top of the table in 2nd division teams and weren't that interested in being NPL up agasint the traditional powerhouse teams.

To be fair a quick look at the 2021 ladders show why:

u13s W GD
9th 1 -64
10th 2 -67
11th 0 -125

u14s W GD
9th 3 -60
10th 3 -59
11th 3 -67

u15s W GD
9th 1 -31
10th 2 -58
11th 1 -72

u16s W GD
9th 3 -46
10th 1 -55
11th 1 -52

Thats alot of teams/players having very rough years, and it happens year on year. I can see why so many kids/parents would be happy playing NL1 at clubs like Cooks Hill where they know theyll be fighting for top of the table.

Thats great if thats all you ever want to do with your football and theres certainly no problem with that.... As long as their parents aren't selling them that they will be superstars doing it, and thats certainly the attitude I came across every time we had to deal with New Lambton. Terrible player behaviour, followed up by their parents, who had obviously been drinking all the same koolaide. Glad it's a VERY rare occurrence we've ever had to play them.

Don't discount the development opportunities that working hard gets you even if you aren't at the top. Theres still kids from the bottom team in 13/14/15's ladder there you posted that are in TSP and moving upwards from there as well. You might be coming first at New Lambton in 2nd DIV but walking into a win every weekend only gets you so far. The rest is just bloody hard work.

sapdad
27-01-2022, 09:06 PM
Thats great if thats all you ever want to do with your football and theres certainly no problem with that.... As long as their parents aren't selling them that they will be superstars doing it, and thats certainly the attitude I came across every time we had to deal with New Lambton. Terrible player behaviour, followed up by their parents, who had obviously been drinking all the same koolaide. Glad it's a VERY rare occurrence we've ever had to play them.

I wonder if that gap between New Lambton and other NL1 clubs will grow even more this year as their 13's will be the first year of JDL kids coming through.They always have good JDL teams I wonder how many of the kids went to NPL teams and how many stayed to play 13's there.I dont have any issues with kids wanting to stay in NL1 and compete for trophies but yes I've had the same experience in the past where people within that club certainly enjoy telling you their teams are better than certain NPL clubs.I agree with you that for a lot of the kids winning a trophy at 13 isnt the point and I remember the Magic 13's from last year dishing out decent floggings to teams that were pushing for finals spots.It always seems to sting the parents way more than the kids when they lose.My son is so pumped up to get back out there and hes more than aware that there will be great days and bad days its all part of life.

jessepinkman
28-01-2022, 06:15 PM
I wonder if that gap between New Lambton and other NL1 clubs will grow even more this year as their 13's will be the first year of JDL kids coming through.They always have good JDL teams I wonder how many of the kids went to NPL teams and how many stayed to play 13's there.I dont have any issues with kids wanting to stay in NL1 and compete for trophies but yes I've had the same experience in the past where people within that club certainly enjoy telling you their teams are better than certain NPL clubs.I agree with you that for a lot of the kids winning a trophy at 13 isnt the point and I remember the Magic 13's from last year dishing out decent floggings to teams that were pushing for finals spots.It always seems to sting the parents way more than the kids when they lose.My son is so pumped up to get back out there and hes more than aware that there will be great days and bad days its all part of life.

New Lambton beat NPL clubs at various age groups in youth and certainly 18s last season.

There is excellent coaching across all grades with a lot of involvement and inclusion from all grades up to seniors.

Ive been involved in both NPL and NL1/NewFM over the years and I can categorically say, I would rather my kid (if they didn't make one of the successful NPL sides) to be playing at a New Lambton, or previous to this (not sure about now, but 3/4 years ago) South Cardiff.

Ive seen some of the absolute dross offered up to players at the mid to low NPL tier, but parents and kids want to be able to say they play NPL so they go and pretend it's all good and worth the money.

Some of the best coaches I've seen are in NL1, and are just loyal to the clubs they played for/gave them a start.

Lets face it, nobodies kid who is playing NPL in Newcastle at 15 is going to go pro. At least get value for money, good role models, an inclusive club that provides opportunities for retention and growth, and don't give your rego $ to clubs that are going to use it to give you an out of date coach so they can push the rest onto a first grader who should not be earning what they earn.

sapdad
28-01-2022, 08:35 PM
New Lambton beat NPL clubs at various age groups in youth and certainly 18s last season.

There is excellent coaching across all grades with a lot of involvement and inclusion from all grades up to seniors.

Ive been involved in both NPL and NL1/NewFM over the years and I can categorically say, I would rather my kid (if they didn't make one of the successful NPL sides) to be playing at a New Lambton, or previous to this (not sure about now, but 3/4 years ago) South Cardiff.

Ive seen some of the absolute dross offered up to players at the mid to low NPL tier, but parents and kids want to be able to say they play NPL so they go and pretend it's all good and worth the money.

Some of the best coaches I've seen are in NL1, and are just loyal to the clubs they played for/gave them a start.

Lets face it, nobodies kid who is playing NPL in Newcastle at 15 is going to go pro. At least get value for money, good role models, an inclusive club that provides opportunities for retention and growth, and don't give your rego $ to clubs that are going to use it to give you an out of date coach so they can push the rest onto a first grader who should not be earning what they earn.

Thanks for the response.I certainly dont want to turn this into a club bashing exercise and your points are all good.New Lambton were always well represented in JDL when my son played against them.My point was more about wondering if kids in good NL1 teams ever leave to try it in upper NPL clubs or once they are there and comfortable more stay for the journey through youth?I heard their good JDL team has split up and 1/2 the kids went to Magic/Jaffas and the other half stayed.It will be interesting to see how many go back to New Lambton or how many others leave thinking there is perceived higher level for them.Its probably not an issue if the rumoured move to NPL is on the cards in the near future anyway.I agree that essentially none of the kids will make it to the big time but coming through the JDL experience has taught me 1st grade is a real goal for a lot of kids and clubs.Time will tell.

KITZ
28-01-2022, 10:16 PM

Get off the koolaide. I’m specifically talking about behaviour and if the standard was set then the players wouldn’t have even attempted to put on such an Performance to begin with, let alone the name calling etc after the game.

Let’s face it no one who was there cares about the rambling crap you added after; they represented the club and thats what they sold to everyone there at the time.

Also Angus thurgate was playing NPL up here at 15 I’m pretty sure. God it gets old all those tall poppies out there who think because they or their kid didn’t do something that no kid ever will.

**** me it gets boring hearing that same old crap.

Negative Police
30-01-2022, 09:03 AM
Get off the koolaide. I’m specifically talking about behaviour and if the standard was set then the players wouldn’t have even attempted to put on such an Performance to begin with, let alone the name calling etc after the game.

Sore losers and even worse nasty winners. How that culture exists in a couple of clubs is beyond belief. I loathe that.

jessepinkman
30-01-2022, 05:45 PM

Let’s face it no one who was there cares about the rambling crap you added after; they represented the club and thats what they sold to everyone there at the time.

Also Angus thurgate was playing NPL up here at 15 I’m pretty sure. God it gets old all those tall poppies out there who think because they or their kid didn’t do something that no kid ever will.

**** me it gets boring hearing that same old crap.

no one who was there? Sorry, must be mistaken - Im not aware of any particular incident nor am I referring to one. The only name calling I have experienced was an NPL coach berating NL1 players, officials, and referees after they were beaten in a trial - on most occasions, but usually just the one club tbh.

To be fair there were also as many npl clubs/officials and players that were fine being beaten by a lower graded side.

As for any incident you're referring to above, I have no idea - I was responding to sapdad and just giving my experience that I have thought the standard of program at NL recently, and not too long ago at South Cardiff (Cant comment on now) rivalled the better NPL setups and were certainly better than the mid to lower NPL setups. Sorry it upset you so much to hear my lived experience.

Bremsstrahlung
30-01-2022, 09:16 PM
Season hasn’t even started.

Goatscheese
31-01-2022, 10:59 AM
Usually found New Lambton parents to be the worst but the players act entirely differently which is a good things.

In terms of NL1 teams beating NPL clubs, yes it does happen and indeed happened this past weekend. The sooner Northern separate the youth comps from the seniors into three tiers with promotion and relegation the better it will be for all the players. And actually force struggling NPL clubs to improve what they provide.

KITZ
01-02-2022, 09:51 AM
Usually found New Lambton parents to be the worst but the players act entirely differently which is a good things.

In terms of NL1 teams beating NPL clubs, yes it does happen and indeed happened this past weekend. The sooner Northern separate the youth comps from the seniors into three tiers with promotion and relegation the better it will be for all the players. And actually force struggling NPL clubs to improve what they provide.

I wonder if that's what will happen or if kids just move every year to the team that goes up from the team that goes down - I think cooks coming in is an example, mostly they all just shuffled around again for the most part.

In regards to my previous response, I know I got a bit frustrated but I hate that we write off (or speak about) our developing players like that constantly, how can we expect more from them if we have written them off right from the start, we need to change the conversation around football development in the area. The recipe for success exists but players are just either working it out on their own or falling into it, most of it is up to parents who have to work out the system really quickly or make the right connections or just hope for sheer luck that they are doing the right things. I think there are things that we can do as parents / volunteers / members of the football community to help things change for the better - one of those is passing on knowledge to parents who are just coming through the system in JDL, we assume that everyone knows football, but the reality is not all parents understand the landscape of football development and maybe there are kids missing out because of it.

anyway, lets at least hope they get a full season this year - that would be a great start!

Goatscheese
01-02-2022, 02:00 PM
I wonder if that's what will happen or if kids just move every year to the team that goes up from the team that goes down - I think cooks coming in is an example, mostly they all just shuffled around again for the most part.

And that might happen, but I can't imagine whole teams switching between the promoted and relegated ones, particularly if the tiers are now tighter in competition. Big different going from best of 8 to now play against only 7 teams which you're competitive against compared to joining a group of 13 of which half you're not competitive against.

Aegon
01-02-2022, 03:20 PM
And that might happen, but I can't imagine whole teams switching between the promoted and relegated ones, particularly if the tiers are now tighter in competition. Big different going from best of 8 to now play against only 7 teams which you're competitive against compared to joining a group of 13 of which half you're not competitive against.

De-coupling the youth should also happen in line with a competition re-shuffle.

There are a possible 24 teams (including Mid Coast, Nth Coast and Nth Inland).

3 groups of 8 with club championship pro/rel seems like a no brainer.

Realistically a few teams should not be required to field Jr's and you could get away with 2 groups of 10 or 11.

Goatscheese
01-02-2022, 03:49 PM
De-coupling the youth should also happen in line with a competition re-shuffle.

There are a possible 24 teams (including Mid Coast, Nth Coast and Nth Inland).

3 groups of 8 with club championship pro/rel seems like a no brainer.

Realistically a few teams should not be required to field Jr's and you could get away with 2 groups of 10 or 11.

Well look seniors could be rehuffled as well.

If you can get 22 clubs, then have three groups of 7. Top 2 promoted every week.

I'd certainly ensure that Youth and Senior performance is separate though I would say the only way to get promoted from the bottom side is if you have all youth teams. If you don't then you remain in Div 3

Jim
03-02-2022, 03:42 PM
I'd certainly ensure that Youth and Senior performance is separate though I would say the only way to get promoted from the bottom side is if you have all youth teams. If you don't then you remain in Div 3

Only hitch there is that a club might have a great 14s and no 15s. Penalizing the kids.

Goatscheese
03-02-2022, 05:49 PM
Only hitch there is that a club might have a great 14s and no 15s. Penalizing the kids.

I was talking about seniors moving through. Since the youth should be on a club championship basis.

Goatscheese
03-02-2022, 05:56 PM
Firstly, every parent in NL1 I have spoken too (not heaps to be honest) say they would leave the club if promoted.....they want to be in NL1 for many reasons. (See Cooks Hill this year for example - of reports are true).

I also see a lot of kids leaving NL1 every year to go to NPL clubs, not just to "say they are playing in NPL", but also because they need a challenge. Clubs do a lot of work developing kids and then NPL clubs come and poach them, because they need a challenge and sometimes the attraction is "you get to be an NPL player".

I can see why some Cooks Hills players left, because they go from NL1 to a large NPL league. But if it was broken up into three tiers. You could be top and then you're moving up to a smaller tier and against a closer range of teams that you're competitive against. Not into a large league where you will struggle bad for half the season.

Secondly with the amount of player movements it would make no difference - similar to the above point, but the same players would just move.

Some may move, some may not, I would hope the club would show loyalty to most of the players should they be promoted.

Thirdly, it would probably promote a club to win rather than develop (which is probably happening too much now). This would happen especially in the last half of the season if near the top of lower league or bottom of upper league. Winning does not necessarily mean you have a program that is best for the kids development. Along with this point would be that recruitment would be more important than development also.

While also a concern see above about NL1 clubs developing players only to lose them and having to start again, hard to develop club loyalty and to have feeder teams for your seniors.

We currently see some clubs with teams that have been down the bottom of the NPL for years, do they have a good development program? Would they start doing more if they knew they were threatened about going down a tier? It's not good for development for a team to sit at the bottom of a league and be thrashed almost every week. It's also not good for development or for a club for a club to remain in a lower tier no matter what they do.

sapdad
03-02-2022, 05:58 PM
Firstly, every parent in NL1 I have spoken too (not heaps to be honest) say they would leave the club if promoted.....they want to be in NL1 for many reasons. (See Cooks Hill this year for example - of reports are true).

You raise some good points,but I had no idea parents thought like this?Is this at a particular club?Id never heard this kind of talk before.It seems really backwards to me but maybe I dont get the reasoning behind it.

Hunter403
03-02-2022, 06:09 PM
You raise some good points,but I had no idea parents thought like this?Is this at a particular club?Id never heard this kind of talk before.It seems really backwards to me but maybe I dont get the reasoning behind it.

Cost could be one factor. Another could be the reputation of the NPL clubs and competition. Another could be that the parents have made friends at the NL1 club and enjoy the social side of things, recognising that their son won't be playing for a living. Myriad of reasons why people do what they do.

Goatscheese
04-02-2022, 11:41 AM
Like I said small sample size and a lot of them had come from NPL, all different reasons as mentioned above, cost, pressure, bad experience before, like winning at lower level. All valid reasons if you are good and just was to enjoy yourself.

Agreed it is got good that clubs do nothing and keep getting beaten. But it is a hard cycle to get out of as recruitment becomes as issue. Is also a long term thing to turn around, almost takes a whole development cycle (JDL through to 16's) if doing a good and consistent job.

I am not sure NNSW can sustain NPL and NL1 in youth, maybe just not enough kids/talent to make up 24 teams.

Hence reduce it to 21 teams and split it up to 3 groups of 7. Have promotion relegation so clubs that are building up can be rewarded, and clubs not building up don't get to stay in the top league simply because of who they were when it got changed.

Goatscheese
04-02-2022, 02:43 PM
I am not against that idea (or any idea actually). The only issue I see with promotion relegation (at youth level), is that it becomes a game of:

1. Recruitment.
2. Playing to win.

This happens now to an extent.

What do they do in South Australia, they seem to get a lot of young players up into the seniors?

No idea, coming from Melbourne I can tell you that they have promotion and relegation and Sydney also have changed it around and also will have promotion and relegation. South Australia may do the same thing.

KITZ
09-02-2022, 11:57 PM
Maitland v lakes trials

13s 11-1
14s - 5-0
15s - 6-0
16s - 2-0

Hunter403
10-02-2022, 09:57 AM
Maitland v lakes trials

13s 11-1
14s - 5-0
15s - 6-0
16s - 2-0

Ouch. Long season ahead for Lakes again.

KITZ
10-02-2022, 10:30 AM
Ouch. Long season ahead for Lakes again.

The 16's was a good game to watch, being that it stayed nil all for 3 quarters of the game. Their 18s did beat Maitland 18's, but for Maitland it was their first trial game for the season. they do develop through as they get older at lakes but it is a hard slog and without metrics other than score its hard to gauge if the program is successful in regards to what it is trying to achieve. If you look at the 16s game last night lakes had 2 14's playing but Maitland had 3 as well.

Hunter403
10-02-2022, 03:34 PM
The 16's was a good game to watch, being that it stayed nil all for 3 quarters of the game. Their 18s did beat Maitland 18's, but for Maitland it was their first trial game for the season. they do develop through as they get older at lakes but it is a hard slog and without metrics other than score its hard to gauge if the program is successful in regards to what it is trying to achieve. If you look at the 16s game last night lakes had 2 14's playing but Maitland had 3 as well.

Well I wish them well. The more competitive teams, the better for everyone.

sapdad
10-02-2022, 05:46 PM
Im not sure why,maybe covid related but Cooks Hill were the last team to trial.We had our sons name down but hed already picked up a spot at another club weeks before Cooks Hill even trialled.If they were lacking players then they were in a tough position to be able to fill in squads.Hopefully its a one off but a sad way to start their time in NPL.

jim wallis
10-02-2022, 10:53 PM
Im not sure why,maybe covid related but Cooks Hill were the last team to trial.We had our sons name down but hed already picked up a spot at another club weeks before Cooks Hill even trialled.If they were lacking players then they were in a tough position to be able to fill in squads.Hopefully its a one off but a sad way to start their time in NPL.

Sounds like the players pulled the plug late on. It's done now.

Goatscheese
11-02-2022, 10:33 AM

Well yes that was another problem too, I did see they were quite late

Goatscheese
11-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Some results with Valentine playing Edgeworth last night

Valentine 0-2 Edgeworth 16s
Valentine 4-4 Edgeworth 15s (Not sure what has happened there, we recruited alright but Edgeworth finished 2nd last year and only lost one game seems they may have lost their shine)
Valentine 1-1 Edgeworth 14s (Valentine looking strong they'll have a better year and be challenging the top teams)
Valentine 1-6 Edgeworth 13s

Aegon
11-02-2022, 11:30 AM

Valentine 4-4 Edgeworth 15s (Not sure what has happened there, we recruited alright but Edgeworth finished 2nd last year and only lost one game seems they may have lost their shine)
Valentine 1-1 Edgeworth 14s (Valentine looking strong they'll have a better year and be challenging the top teams)

What happened in 13's?
I've seen some of Valo's trial games against Azzurri & Weston and they have looked pretty good. Attack looks pretty decent but they have conceded a lot of goals.

KITZ
11-02-2022, 12:03 PM

Edgeworth 15s have turned over a few players. More than I would have expected based on their performance last season. I suspect personality clashes, they were pretty vocal towards each other last season.

Goatscheese
11-02-2022, 12:28 PM
What happened in 13's?
I've seen some of Valo's trial games against Azzurri & Weston and they have looked pretty good. Attack looks pretty decent but they have conceded a lot of goals.

Been told we were missing some players and had to use a bunch of 12s

Captain_Carl
11-02-2022, 03:03 PM

I am pleased to hear Valo youth are doing well. The song will be sung many times this season. Here are the words for all to enjoy:

Valentine Victory Song
Sung to the tune of Road to Gundagai, words by Brendan Avis.
Part One
We're the team from the coast
We're the team that wins the most
We are the Phoenix Valentine.
We'll beat Edgy and Southy, Magic and _________ Whoever else we choose.
They say great teams win great matches
and this much is true
We'll wrap the premiership trophy
In the Orange and Blue.
Oh won't you come see us play
We're the winners all the way
We are the Phoenix Valentine
Part 2 (Optional in Scottish) Hallo
Hallo
We are the Valley Boys
Hallo
Hallo
You'll know us by our noise
We're up to knees in (insert team name) blood Surrender or you'll die
For we are the Valley Phoenix boys (repeat as many times as necessary)

Hunter403
11-02-2022, 03:47 PM
way too much time on your hands.

No wonder they don't like winning. The song goes on forever. They'd get bored singing it.

Goatscheese
11-02-2022, 04:27 PM
I am pleased to hear Valo youth are doing well. The song will be sung many times this season. Here are the words for all to enjoy

Ditched supporting edgy now?

terry
11-02-2022, 09:39 PM
Ditched supporting edgy now?

Went to Magic lol

BBscone
11-02-2022, 11:51 PM
I am pleased to hear Valo youth are doing well. The song will be sung many times this season. Here are the words for all to enjoy:

Valentine Victory Song
Sung to the tune of Road to Gundagai, words by Brendan Avis.
Part One
We're the team from the coast
We're the team that wins the most
We are the Phoenix Valentine.
We'll beat Edgy and Southy, Magic and _________ Whoever else we choose.
They say great teams win great matches
and this much is true
We'll wrap the premiership trophy
In the Orange and Blue.
Oh won't you come see us play
We're the winners all the way
Part 2 (Optional in Scottish) Hallo
Hallo
We are the Valley Boys
Hallo
Hallo
You'll know us by our noise
We're up to knees in (insert team name) blood Surrender or you'll die
For we are the Valley Phoenix boys (repeat as many times as necessary)Thanks for that.....it's the first time I realised they had one....

Captain_Carl
12-02-2022, 12:46 AM
Thanks for that.....it's the first time I realised they had one....

Please don’t be disrespectful to the good people at Valentine. They are the club that I love and they are doing amazing things with youth development. With their new facility coming they will be an NPL powerhouse and I will be there supporting them. I will be proudly blowing my horn like a special boy and giving everyone a Jeepers creepers yeah! I hope you can all join me as I plan to develop an active supporters group for the 1st team as well. It is a club on the up and they will be the Phoenix rising. God bless you all and if you want to criticise me that is fine but I want to bring an electric atmosphere to this league. Someone mentioned Edgy and Magic? I don’t know what magic mushrooms you have been doing but I am Valo all the way. Go Valo!

BBscone
12-02-2022, 08:25 AM
Please don’t be disrespectful to the good people at Valentine. They are the club that I love and they are doing amazing things with youth development. With their new facility coming they will be an NPL powerhouse and I will be there supporting them. I will be proudly blowing my horn like a special boy and giving everyone a Jeepers creepers yeah! I hope you can all join me as I plan to develop an active supporters group for the 1st team as well. It is a club on the up and they will be the Phoenix rising. God bless you all and if you want to criticise me that is fine but I want to bring an electric atmosphere to this league. Someone mentioned Edgy and Magic? I don’t know what magic mushrooms you have been doing but I am Valo all the way. Go Valo!Ok, have fun with that. I hope it goes well for them and you are all tooting horns for years to come.

KITZ
12-02-2022, 08:36 AM
Please don’t be disrespectful to the good people at Valentine. They are the club that I love and they are doing amazing things with youth development. With their new facility coming they will be an NPL powerhouse and I will be there supporting them. I will be proudly blowing my horn like a special boy and giving everyone a Jeepers creepers yeah! I hope you can all join me as I plan to develop an active supporters group for the 1st team as well. It is a club on the up and they will be the Phoenix rising. God bless you all and if you want to criticise me that is fine but I want to bring an electric atmosphere to this league. Someone mentioned Edgy and Magic? I don’t know what magic mushrooms you have been doing but I am Valo all the way. Go Valo!

Dude. People know exactly where you are because you blow those annoying ass horns all the time. 🤦

terry
12-02-2022, 11:34 AM

So the lad that you follow has gone back to Valo?

Eastwest
12-02-2022, 08:08 PM
Looking at 16s draw if Cooks Hill drop out there'll be no Bye or 2 Byes. Wonder what Northern will choose?

KITZ
12-02-2022, 11:44 PM
Looking at 16s draw if Cooks Hill drop out there'll be no Bye or 2 Byes. Wonder what Northern will choose?

It will likely be two. Because all the other age groups still play that weekend so I don’t think it would make sense? Or would they play teams more ? Then ground availability becomes an issue.

Captain_Carl
13-02-2022, 07:30 AM

Originally with Cooks Hill in every team would get 2 byes. Without them it will be 4 byes.

Hunter403
13-02-2022, 06:41 PM
A lot of byes when you pay between $1000 & $1500 a season.

Captain_Carl
14-02-2022, 11:23 PM
A lot of byes when you pay between $1000 & $1500 a season.

NN$WF are a very generous mob. I am sure they will give compensation to all clubs and players in the form of a refund for the extra byes they will have. It is a total farce and it is evident the wrong club was promoted. My spiritual guide told me the NN$WF rules state that for every game a youth team forfeits they incur a $500 fine. If that is 24 games the Cooks Hill U16s forfeit they should be slapped with a $12k fine.

Cowboy Lesnar
15-02-2022, 01:15 AM
Good and rightfully so. Forfeiting a full season is very detrimental to the competition as an entirety. I expect better from Cooks Hill. 4 byes a season? NONSENSE. We are not getting our money’s worth

Frank Jonathan Mir II
15-02-2022, 01:27 AM
Good and rightfully so. Forfeiting a full season is very detrimental to the competition as an entirety. I expect better from Cooks Hill. 4 byes a season? NONSENSE. We are not getting our money’s worth

Mate it is out of our control and I am sure Northern will compensate for those extra 2 byes. Your welcome to bring it up with them as well if that suits you better

Bremsstrahlung
15-02-2022, 08:32 AM
No and no. They won’t do anything.

Curious what the consensus is regarding what Cooks Hill could do. I guess nobody really knows the effort/extent that they went to to try and get a team.

1. Unable to field an acceptable team and Forfeit the age group and withdraw.
2. Field an understrength team that gets flogged every week made up of anybody willing to pay $1000 rego just to make up numbers.

Any other options and what do you guys suggest they do?

Devils advocate.

BS detecor
15-02-2022, 09:38 AM

Curious what the consensus is regarding what Cooks Hill could do. I guess nobody really knows the effort/extent that they went to to try and get a team.

2. Field an understrength team that gets flogged every week made up of anybody willing to pay $1000 rego just to make up numbers.

Devils advocate.

I wonder how long until other age groups in that club drop out too. Some are in for a tough year going by results in trials

finzee
15-02-2022, 10:51 AM

Devils advocate.

If this was a little earlier could have found a side with 1/2 $ rego but since they have push the remaining out, no chance.

Although Id bet there are 14 players spread across both comps who would think about jumping ship from their current club as we speak due to the usual politics, coaching changes, personality clashes etc

KITZ
15-02-2022, 11:23 AM
I suggest they should have told NNSWF that they weren’t ready for promotion as their youth development isn’t up to scratch instead of feeding thousands of $$$ into their first grade team, when your can pay one player $1500 a week but can’t organise a youth system then something is seriously wrong.

Its hilarious that anyone here thinks that any other club in NL1 wouldn't have the same issue, NL is full of ex Jaffas kids in one age group who didn't want to play NPL. The same kids are always going to bail when they want easy wins and claim they are the top of the comp. It will happen to any NL1 club coming up.

sapdad
15-02-2022, 12:00 PM
Its hilarious that anyone here thinks that any other club in NL1 wouldn't have the same issue, NL is full of ex Jaffas kids in one age group who didn't want to play NPL. The same kids are always going to bail when they want easy wins and claim they are the top of the comp. It will happen to any NL1 club coming up.

I think I may have witnessed this team recently.Half were already there and a bunch came in from NPL clubs.Most are good enough to be playing NPL level and testing themselves against the very best week after week.Why they dont try isnt any of my business but the chest beating by a few of the parents seemed to be a factor.But good luck to them,no doubt they get to beat up another bunch of NPL kids before the season is out and post about it on social media.Its not healthy in my opinion.

sapdad
15-02-2022, 12:28 PM
Just to add,I know a couple of the kids had a tough time at their NPL club so maybe it wasnt for them.But there are plenty of NPL teams that would have made as spot for them but they chose the so called lower level.Hopefully they either get bored of winning easy and want a challenge or NL get promoted and they have no choice to face the genuinely good clubs like Magic/Olympic/Maitland etc every week.It may settle some of the parents down in the process too.

KITZ
15-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Just to add,I know a couple of the kids had a tough time at their NPL club so maybe it wasnt for them.But there are plenty of NPL teams that would have made as spot for them but they chose the so called lower level.Hopefully they either get bored of winning easy and want a challenge or NL get promoted and they have no choice to face the genuinely good clubs like Magic/Olympic/Maitland etc every week.It may settle some of the parents down in the process too.

I just think it’s a bit rough banging on at cooks hill like they didn’t do something right, rather then it being an endemic issue across the transfer from one level to another, let alone in 16s when it’s hard to recruit kids with the right skill level as it is in that age group.. I’ll leave the rest alone. 😂

sapdad
15-02-2022, 09:15 PM
I just think it’s a bit rough banging on at cooks hill like they didn’t do something right, rather then it being an endemic issue across the transfer from one level to another, let alone in 16s when it’s hard to recruit kids with the right skill level as it is in that age group.. I’ll leave the rest alone. 😂

For sure.Finding kids who are willing and able to step in at that age is near impossible and emphasizes why the JDL (or equivalent) program needs to be expanded rather than scrapped.Natural attrition means spots in NPL clubs will always open up,but we need every kid at the (so called) lower level to have had access to the same programs all the way through so they have a better chance of stepping straight in when opportunities arise.

Barry Dawson
15-02-2022, 10:05 PM
Enter more discussion regarding the importance of de-coupling Youth comp

jim wallis
15-02-2022, 10:37 PM
Tell NNSW yourselves from the public link below

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=TIC1E-9QrkqCN1vW2jZwXo72QRbvPWlCu9x3f-uNDGlURU1SMTBXVU4yTEI0TEhNT0FaSFpLNENBWC4u

Bremsstrahlung
16-02-2022, 06:29 AM
I just think it’s a bit rough banging on at cooks hill like they didn’t do something right, rather then it being an endemic issue across the transfer from one level to another, let alone in 16s when it’s hard to recruit kids with the right skill level as it is in that age group.. I’ll leave the rest alone. ��

Agree.
Would be a bigger problem if they couldn’t get a team to begin with, or that they had months to prepare and did not.
They could probably easily subsidise rego, get a bunch of 16year olds happy to say they play NPL and cop a flogging every week. But that doesn’t help anybody, the players, club, opposition or competition.
A few players may be able to be covered, but when it’s a whole team a few weeks before the season it’s a bit tricky and not sure what they could have done. You can’t control what has allegedly happened.

Don’t have such a problem with one offs like this. If it becomes a pattern, then questions need to be asked why they aren’t fulfilling their obligation.

Bremsstrahlung
16-02-2022, 06:51 AM
For sure.Finding kids who are willing and able to step in at that age is near impossible and emphasizes why the JDL (or equivalent) program needs to be expanded rather than scrapped.Natural attrition means spots in NPL clubs will always open up,but we need every kid at the (so called) lower level to have had access to the same programs all the way through so they have a better chance of stepping straight in when opportunities arise.

Yehp, whether the players or parents like it or not, I’d say this is the elite competition of the age.
There was an argument early days saying it wasn’t the elite competition and merely a development program, but it is. Where are 70% of the most talented young players playing…JDL.

I agree with the sentiment that this should be expanded to include more kids and clubs to improve foundational skills across the board.
A few problems I foresee:
- $$$ - not everyone is in a position to pay JDL fees for their child to play. Id suggest some clubs have scholarship type systems in place, but we know sometimes those things do not go to people who need them.
-dilution of quality - at the moment it’s a limited group of players. Expanding increases the difference between the best and worst. Further grading and allocation of teams into appropriate groups needs to happen to ensure most games are competitive and beneficial.
- ability of clubs to attract players - non NPL/NL1 clubs may find it difficult to attract players due to lack of natural progression/pathways to NPL.
- does it just become a glorified inter district competition

I think it’s a step in the right direction, but there are definitely some consequences to expanding the program.
For those involved, would an expanded league be viable? As I understand it, there’s 2 tiers now to promote even games. Is it viable to extend this to 3,4 or 5 tiers?

One of the things that makes it work so well from what I can see, is that it is very controllable and adaptable given the number of teams competing. Logistically easy to organise and train coaches, technical directors, assess teams and grade them appropriately. Increasing numbers too quickly or too much could limit the effectiveness.

Aegon
16-02-2022, 11:13 AM
I think it’s a step in the right direction, but there are definitely some consequences to expanding the program.
For those involved, would an expanded league be viable? As I understand it, there’s 2 tiers now to promote even games. Is it viable to extend this to 3,4 or 5 tiers?

From what I have seen of the draft schedule so far - The tiers no longer exist this year or have been scaled way back so that clubs will play between the previous tiers more often.
There also doesn't appear to be 3 phases of the competition this year.
2 weeks of 5 a side football at LMRFF
18 rounds of 7v7 or 9v9
1 regional gala day (per team)
7v7 or 9v9 gala days to finish the season

The 18 games for my own child are pretty evenly split between the previous tier 1 and 2 clubs. This is surprising considering how well I felt the majority of people I had spoken with about it felt the two tiers worked last year.

With regards to expansion of the program. It all depends on the support structure/coaching and how well it is received and supported by the clubs. There are already NPL & NL1 clubs that are unable to field 2 teams per age group and some NL1 clubs that are unable to field any teams at all in particular age groups.
It isn't all about cost either as there are clubs choosing to charge between $500-700 which is half of what some of the bigger clubs charge. Considering there are community miniroos teams charging approx. $300 thats not a huge increase. Even then though they are struggling to attract players.

My personal opinion is that it is about as big as it should be.

There are roughly 30 teams by under 12's with a minimum of 11 players per team. so somewhere in the vicinity of 300-350 players with experience in JDL.

11 NPL clubs take about 15 players per team so 160-170 players.

10 NL1 clubs take about 15 players per team so 145-155 players.

It should be 14 max per age group considering the ability to bring players up all the way from U9's now. Clubs that pick 16 boys in an age group are taking the piss.

SAP/JDL in theory should cover the numbers of players required for under 13's. Kids choosing to leave the game or go back to community will eat in to these numbers. The question will be how many players are able to step up into NPL/NL1 from community to replace these losses.

If not enough can or will do it, the same problems with player numbers by 15's or 16's are going to occur.

This isn't even considering the geographical challenges that some clubs face above what others do.

Eastwest
16-02-2022, 02:16 PM
Im not really sure we have enough interested players to hold 2 divisions of 23 NPL youth type teams. example is that some very handy NL1 lads don't want to step up.
It isnt all about skill in the end. Its also about the desire, mental strength and the athletic ability of the kid to really compete.

Ideally we really should have 3 tiers of 10 8 8 but that wouldnt work with 23 to 24 clubs in the 2 top senior grades.

Yaa Yaa
16-02-2022, 02:20 PM
Sounds like a basket case and cooks hill only care about seniors and splashing their cash. How can they not field a team in 16s yet pay thousands on ex A lge players. Should have left them in NL1 and about time they bring in relegation.
I guess if they forfeit they only lose 3-0 every week. Better then double figures.
It’s a same because they have very good facilities, probably best in comp.

Lichael Richards
17-02-2022, 10:44 AM
Saw Olympic v Jaffas 15s 16s.
Look like hard going in the heat although the lads did put in.

jim wallis
17-02-2022, 11:51 AM
Checking the NL1 youth draw. Surprised to see how many teams are missing.

13 Toronto Singo
14 Wallsend
15 Toronto
16 Toronto Singo Wallsend

Not sure if a club deserves a spot when there's more than 1 Youth team missing.
Or are Youth teams even important any more with so many senior players changing clubs all the time now.

AVB
17-02-2022, 12:55 PM
I think we need to stop blaming the individual clubs for this and start considering that there may be greater issues at play here that need addressing such as the competitiveness of the competitions.

I'm sure all clubs are doing their absolute best to attract players in all age groups but if there aren’t enough players interested in playing then what can clubs do? Anyone who thinks that clubs not fielding teams has anything to do with the club not working hard enough or not prioritising it enough simply wrong.

The u16s age group is clearly the biggest example here - 3 teams in the NL1 and 1 team in the NPL haven’t been able to field a team. Anecdotally there was a few clubs who were struggling in NPL to fill their u16s team until Cooks Hill withdrew and the players they had were redistributed. Everyone’s favourite example of the best NL1 club New Lambton have even been advertising his week for players for their u16s team, so they can't be flush either.

To NNSW credit they have clearly identified issues here as well and are engaging clubs on how to restructure the Youth grades across the board to make it more competitive.

Aegon
17-02-2022, 01:08 PM
To NNSW credit they have clearly identified issues here as well and are engaging clubs on how to restructure the Youth grades across the board to make it more competitive.

I wasn't aware of this at all. Hopefully something that is looking to be implemented by 2023.

Goatscheese
17-02-2022, 01:19 PM
I think we need to stop blaming the individual clubs for this and start considering that there may be greater issues at play here that need addressing such as the competitiveness of the competitions.

I'm sure all clubs are doing their absolute best to attract players in all age groups but if there aren’t enough players interested in playing then what can clubs do? Anyone who thinks that clubs not fielding teams has anything to do with the club not working hard enough or not prioritising it enough simply wrong.

The u16s age group is clearly the biggest example here - 3 teams in the NL1 and 1 team in the NPL haven’t been able to field a team. Anecdotally there was a few clubs who were struggling in NPL to fill their u16s team until Cooks Hill withdrew and the players they had were redistributed. Everyone’s favourite example of the best NL1 club New Lambton have even been advertising his week for players for their u16s team, so they can't be flush either.

One of the biggest problems I see is that every year we see large numbers of teams being taken from NL1 into NPL. But the kids being dropped from NPL aren't going back to NL1 teams. Some do but plenty either go to another sport or go to community because they have just spent the past year losing to 3/4 of teams by a lot.

Hopefully this decoupling will ensure that clubs that are struggling in NPL will now face equal competition and enjoy the game because they win or if they lose it isn't by 7-8 goals every week and will keep players in the game allowing other clubs to start filling up their teams.

If one of these teams that do get dropped to a lower division start improving then ensure there is promotion/relegation to bump them up and get tested against tougher teams. No point in splitting up the comp to not have promotion and relegation to just go back to the same issues we have now

The Hacker
17-02-2022, 01:26 PM
Checking the NL1 youth draw. Surprised to see how many teams are missing.

13 Toronto Singo
14 Wallsend
15 Toronto
16 Toronto Singo Wallsend

Not sure if a club deserves a spot when there's more than 1 Youth team missing.
Or are Youth teams even important any more with so many senior players changing clubs all the time now.

How did Wallsend lose a 14’s team when they had a 13’s last year

Aegon
17-02-2022, 01:54 PM
How did Wallsend lose a 14’s team when they had a 13’s last year

-88 goal difference in 16 games?

Eastwest
17-02-2022, 02:10 PM

Disagree here.
Its the clubs responsibility to fill their quota. Hard work is fantastic but that does not enter the equation. If a club is missing 3 out of 4 teams then that is a disgrace.
They should have seen the alarm bells, informed Northern and dropped youth altogether and saved a bye for all those divisions.
It inconveniences 3 other grades for the year. To Northerns credit they did alter the 16s draw so they play nearly every week.
At this point we havent the Youth to cover the 23 teams in top 2 divs so maybe clubs need to take this point for future planning.
Can 2 clubs join Youth teams together for a year? i dunno.

KITZ
17-02-2022, 03:57 PM

I follow both the boys and girls (having one of each) and in the WNPL this has been an identified issue for a while (the loss of players and talent in the teenage years) and something they have been trying to find solutions to, including changing how often and when they train etc, to try and help deconflict life and football being at odds. I think there probably needs to be a working group for both WNPL and NPL/NL1 to look at what the issues are that end up with kids that stop playing and creative solutions to help stop the attrition of players out of the sport, its also why they change age grouping's in the women's to keep the girls in the game. You wouldn't want to drop teams as they get older as a first resort, but good players with a bit of smarts who are fighting for 15's spots could likely put their hand up and play 16's for two years if they wanted, especially if they are up for the challenge.

BBscone
17-02-2022, 05:05 PM

To NNSW credit they have clearly identified issues here as well and are engaging clubs on how to restructure the Youth grades across the board to make it more competitive.NL Coach comes into our shop every day. They sent 3 boys up to 18s after 5 18s went to Reserve Grade. They kept a big group in 15s to promote kids as Clayton Zane prefers kids progressing up rather than staying and dominating. Then Azzurri took one of the remaining 16s after they lost a kid to Jets. Instead of bringing a kid back they asked a question. Far from the scenario of other Clubs and a sign that they have a good TD.

terry
17-02-2022, 05:58 PM
NL Coach comes into our shop every day. They sent 3 boys up to 18s after 5 18s went to Reserve Grade. They kept a big group in 15s to promote kids as Clayton Zane prefers kids progressing up rather than staying and dominating. Then Azzurri took one of the remaining 16s after they lost a kid to Jets. Instead of bringing a kid back they asked a question. Far from the scenario of other Clubs and a sign that they have a good TD.

CZ all over it. Albeit he did have a string group right through to start with.

BS detecor
17-02-2022, 08:07 PM
16s is a tough age group. The good ones go up, the bored ones drop out and once the dominoes start to fall, the squad can be depleted very quickly

Jim
19-02-2022, 10:59 AM
Dream to play pro sport stings the pocket as Hunter parents pay $2000 for kids to play NH
Anyone got a copy of this from NewHerald?

The Hacker
19-02-2022, 12:12 PM
Dream to play pro sport stings the pocket as Hunter parents pay up to $2000 for kids to play

By Damon Cronshaw
Updated February 19 2022 - 10:24am, first published 5:30am

Parents are paying up to $2000 for their kids to play premier league football in the Hunter, as they pursue the dream of a professional career in the sport.
Many are willing to pay the fees, amid aspirations to higher levels of competition, excellence, achievement and status. Some, though, are concerned about where the money is going and how far prices will rise in future.

Various National Premier League [NPL] club insiders believe some youth fees are being used towards paying first grade players at some clubs to varying degrees.
Northern NSW Football has warned clubs that youth fees cannot be used to pay senior players.
The clubs aim to cover player payments for first graders with sponsorship from companies and benefactors, along with gate receipts and canteen revenue.

First-grade players can generally earn payments per match of about $200 to $250 (rookies) and $350 to $500 (experienced). Top players stepping down from the A-League can earn about $1000 to $1500 a match. Some suspect the fees for the ex-pros are rising higher.
Dream to play pro sport stings the pocket as Hunter parents pay up to $2000 for kids to play
Team budgets for player payments can generally run from about $55,000 to $180,000 a season.
There is also a push to pay senior female players, with the inaugural season of the Northern NSW National Premier Leagues Women (NPLW) to begin next month.
Northern NSW Football chief executive David Eland said "players can be paid, but they have to be on a professional contract".
"There are no professional contracts within our competitions - our NPL and NPLW are amateur competitions," Mr Eland said.
"There's an amount of up to $110 a week where clubs can reimburse players for expenses incurred whilst playing. But strictly, by the National Registration Regulations, we don't have any professional players."
Asked if the clubs could be semi-professional, Mr Eland said: "No, there's no such thing".

Mr Eland said consultation was occurring with clubs to introduce professional contracts. This is linked to plans for the top senior league to have "professional status". "That is aligned to the A-League, domestic calendar and has big implications for our competitions."
As for youth fees, Mr Eland encouraged parents to ask clubs what they include. "Clubs are run by hardworking volunteers and they put a lot of work in to determine the fees. It's not up to us to micromanage the clubs."
He said the NPL youth fees "vary significantly" from club to club because they were run differently. The junior and youth fees range from about $1000 to $2000 a season, depending on the club.
Adamstown Rosebud secretary Rick Naylor said he was opposed to youth payments being used to pay seniors.
"Youth fees should cover the cost of youth football. They shouldn't be subsidising the expenses a club incurs elsewhere," Mr Naylor said.

"When we register our JDL [Junior Development League under 9s-12s] and youth players [under 13s-16s], we present the players and parents with a spreadsheet, showing them exactly where the money goes.
"The youth and JDL fees are quarantined from seniors."
Mr Naylor said Adamstown aimed to promote youth players through the ranks to first grade.
"We'd like to think that many of our first grade players are playing because they love playing football."
Broadmeadow Magic president Tony Temelkovski said "all fees collected from youth are pumped back into the youth".
"The criteria for kids playing at a higher level means there's a certain standard of coaching we need to provide at club level," he said.

"An average NPL youth coach spends 475 to 500 hours a year coaching the side. We run a 40-week program for our NPL youth."
Youth coaches can attract about $1500 to $4000 a season, depending how qualified they are.
Valentine secretary Melissa Larson said coach fees can work out to "$3.20 an hour". "They're doing it for the love of the game," she said.
Ms Larson said her club's junior, youth and community fees weren't used for first-grade costs, adding "we're transparent with our fees".
Aspirations: A Broadmeadow Magic youth team. Picture: Jonathan Carroll
Part of the issue with costs is that the game is funded from the bottom-up, rather than the top-down. Football Australia collects $14 from those under 18 and $33 from seniors through registration fees. Some of this money is used to pay for the Socceroos and Matildas.

Newcastle Football chairman Steve Cucumanovski said the high cost of fees comes down to a lack of money at the top of the game.
He said the rugby league and AFL grassroots were propped up with big TV revenues. Those codes also gain more crowd revenue.
Mr Temelkovski also highlighted this issue, saying this was partly why "our sport is pay to play".
"The hard thing is, the better your child is at playing the sport, the more you seem to have to pay. That's the reality," he said.
He believed the price of youth football was a worthy issue to discuss, but said "I don't think there's an easy answer". "Is there a ceiling there and when we hit that point what is the impact?"
He said it was worth comparing the price of football to other youth activities like dancing, ballet and swimming.

Charlestown Azzurri secretary Roger Steel believed the NPL youth fees "are higher than they should be".
"It's a lot of money for kids' sport, but there are all sorts of costs like competition and refereeing fees that have to be distributed among players," Mr Steel said.
There are fewer volunteers available nowadays, so clubs had to pay people to do jobs. Clubs in Sydney or Melbourne are charging youth fees of $2500 to $3000, but "they have requirements that aren't imposed on us yet, like having full-time technical directors".
He said a lot of parents see their kids "as a future champion and are willing to pay whatever it takes".
As well as NPL fees, some parents pay for private training in Newcastle through programs run by the likes of former Jets player Jobe Wheelhouse and former Jets coach Clayton Zane.
"Parents are driven to help their child succeed at sport, but very few players end up making it to the top," Mr Steel said.

Mr Steel added that clubs know "it's not right" to use youth fees to pay seniors.
Maitland Magpies football manager Mick Mirisch said "from our perspective, no youth or JDL payments should cover any player payments for seniors".
"That's the way it should be. It's as simple as that," Mr Mirisch said.

A memo that Northern NSW Football sent to clubs in October said fees must reflect "actual expenses related to the player's participation in a competition".
The onus is on the clubs to satisfy the governing bodies that the fees are reasonable.

"Clubs are not permitted to 'bundle' other expenses [including player payments], which are not directly related to the player's participation in a competition."
Northern NSW Football has developed a budget template to help clubs "isolate expenses specifically related to the competition in which the player participates".
The memo acknowledged that the fees imposed by the vast majority of clubs were reasonable and "volunteers commit significant time to implementing a range of fundraising activities to keep their fees as low as possible".
Clubs can use the youth fees for coaching, playing strips, ground and facility maintenance, football equipment, competition and referee fees, field hire, administration and awards.
"Clubs need money to provide the football experience that parents are expecting. A kid playing NPL youth is a completely different experience to someone playing community football," Mr Eland said.
He added that some clubs have a lot more costs than others "when it comes to running facilities".

There are also community concerns that disadvantaged families cannot afford to pay the youth fees, but clubs and Northern NSW Football insist they do address this.
Macquarie Football Association general manager Warren Read urged players who leave premier league clubs to consider returning to community football to play for fun. Another concern among the footballing public is registration fees for community players. All-age players are being charged about $440 this season.
This includes, in one example, $157 to the club, $67 to the council for ground use, $133 to Northern NSW Football [the governing body], $50 to the zone association and $33 to Football Australia [the national body]. "The cost for a social game of football is getting out of control," one all-age player said. "We are losing young players."
In the Hunter, the average community registration fee is $165 (5-7s), $200 (8-11s), $255 (12-18s) and $360 (19+). Parents can use the $100 Active Kids voucher towards the fees. Mr Eland is confident that football "remains affordable and accessible for families".

KITZ
19-02-2022, 12:23 PM

By Damon Cronshaw

Parents are paying up to $2000 for their kids to play premier league football in the Hunter, as they pursue the dream of a professional career in the sport.
Many are willing to pay the fees, amid aspirations to higher levels of competition, excellence, achievement and status. Some, though, are concerned about where the money is going and how far prices will rise in future.

Thanks heaps for posting that. Had a bit of a sensationalist headline, when in truth I doubt anyone is paying $2k a season in Newcastle. The discussion could be a good one, but seems to be a bit of a non story handled by the herald. Innuendo that Juniors are paying seniors, but clubs generally breakdown their fees now and parents can see where the money is going. The news never actually seems to break down the cost and talk about how many training sessions a year, plus preseason including games almost every weekend before the season etc etc. I don't think its a big cost per session compared to what you are paying for private training or in other sports like dancing / gymnastics / tennis and sports where you pay per session / week. I'm sure there are cheaper sports as well but I don't know a lot about what kids are getting, is it the same / more / less?

sapdad
19-02-2022, 02:48 PM
Thanks heaps for posting that. Had a bit of a sensationalist headline, when in truth I doubt anyone is paying $2k a season in Newcastle. The discussion could be a good one, but seems to be a bit of a non story handled by the herald. Innuendo that Juniors are paying seniors, but clubs generally breakdown their fees now and parents can see where the money is going. The news never actually seems to break down the cost and talk about how many training sessions a year, plus preseason including games almost every weekend before the season etc etc. I don't think its a big cost per session compared to what you are paying for private training or in other sports like dancing / gymnastics / tennis and sports where you pay per session / week. I'm sure there are cheaper sports as well but I don't know a lot about what kids are getting, is it the same / more / less?

Totally agree,instead of a good discussion on where the money goes people will just scoff at all the mums and dads thinking their kid is destined for the Premier League.I think the bigger discussion is where the money for the Federations goes to and what is the result of it.Its great putting shit on clubs but as everyone knows without an overwhelming percentage of free labour nothing gets done at that level.How many people within the Zone/NNSW and FFA work for free and what are they producing for the amount of money that goes there?Problem is we all know that cant change without massive upheaval no one seems to want that fight so around and around we go again.

sapdad
19-02-2022, 02:53 PM
Just another thing,i estimate my son pays about $13 per session of football experience every year (rego divided by training sessions/games).Not sure he could rent a tennis court or go 10 pin bowling for that much.Its just the amount of sessions per year that add the cost up.But this year he'll get to work with 1st grade coaches,get mentored by experienced players,train and play on some of the best facilities in the city and most of all be happy to be part of a really good community.i think its worth it, others may disagree.

ForeverRed
19-02-2022, 03:53 PM
If you believe youth money isn’t used to pay first graders then you live with the fairy’s

travellingman
19-02-2022, 04:09 PM
If Eland thinks players aren't getting paid well he is either turning a blind eye or totally clueless.
As for youth coaches attracting coaching fees of up to $4k is ludicrous. If coaches command those fees we should be getting better results in player development.

BBscone
20-02-2022, 02:51 PM
If Eland thinks players aren't getting paid well he is either turning a blind eye or totally clueless.
As for youth coaches attracting coaching fees of up to $4k is ludicrous. If coaches command those fees we should be getting better results in player development.Mr Eland knows very well that payments exist. He also turns a blind eye because of the legal status that it draws his organisation into. Regardless, he is responsible to oversee the game locally, clubs paying out more than they earn, Youth NPL teams paying fees to supplement Seniors and after what I have seen over the last few weeks, if $2400 justifies some of the "qualified" coaching in NPL, we need a Royal Commission. De couple Youth, audit clubs spending and cap funds across two segments. Youth money goes to Youth football. Every NPL program in town will be broke in 12 mths.

W8 WATCHER
20-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Mr Eland knows very well that payments exist. He also turns a blind eye because of the legal status that it draws his organisation into. Regardless, he is responsible to oversee the game locally, clubs paying out more than they earn, Youth NPL teams paying fees to supplement Seniors and after what I have seen over the last few weeks, if $2400 justifies some of the "qualified" coaching in NPL, we need a Royal Commission. De couple Youth, audit clubs spending and cap funds across two segments. Youth money goes to Youth football. Every NPL program in town will be broke in 12 mths.

Lol
Exactly right

The Berlin Wall
20-02-2022, 05:03 PM

By Damon Cronshaw

Various National Premier League [NPL] club insiders believe some youth fees are being used towards paying first grade players at some clubs to varying degrees.
Northern NSW Football has warned clubs that youth fees cannot be used to pay senior players.
The clubs aim to cover player payments for first graders with sponsorship from companies and benefactors, along with gate receipts and canteen revenue.

First-grade players can generally earn payments per match of about $200 to $250 (rookies) and $350 to $500 (experienced). Top players stepping down from the A-League can earn about $1000 to $1500 a match. Some suspect the fees for the ex-pros are rising higher.
Team budgets for player payments can generally run from about $55,000 to $180,000 a season.
There is also a push to pay senior female players, with the inaugural season of the Northern NSW National Premier Leagues Women (NPLW) to begin next month.
Northern NSW Football chief executive David Eland said "players can be paid, but they have to be on a professional contract".
"There are no professional contracts within our competitions - our NPL and NPLW are amateur competitions," Mr Eland said.
"There's an amount of up to $110 a week where clubs can reimburse players for expenses incurred whilst playing. But strictly, by the National Registration Regulations, we don't have any professional players."
Asked if the clubs could be semi-professional, Mr Eland said: "No, there's no such thing".

Mr Eland said consultation was occurring with clubs to introduce professional contracts. This is linked to plans for the top senior league to have "professional status". "That is aligned to the A-League, domestic calendar and has big implications for our competitions."
As for youth fees, Mr Eland encouraged parents to ask clubs what they include. "Clubs are run by hardworking volunteers and they put a lot of work in to determine the fees. It's not up to us to micromanage the clubs."
He said the NPL youth fees "vary significantly" from club to club because they were run differently. The junior and youth fees range from about $1000 to $2000 a season, depending on the club.
Adamstown Rosebud secretary Rick Naylor said he was opposed to youth payments being used to pay seniors.
"Youth fees should cover the cost of youth football. They shouldn't be subsidising the expenses a club incurs elsewhere," Mr Naylor said.

"When we register our JDL [Junior Development League under 9s-12s] and youth players [under 13s-16s], we present the players and parents with a spreadsheet, showing them exactly where the money goes.
"The youth and JDL fees are quarantined from seniors."
Mr Naylor said Adamstown aimed to promote youth players through the ranks to first grade.
"We'd like to think that many of our first grade players are playing because they love playing football."
Broadmeadow Magic president Tony Temelkovski said "all fees collected from youth are pumped back into the youth".
"The criteria for kids playing at a higher level means there's a certain standard of coaching we need to provide at club level," he said.

"An average NPL youth coach spends 475 to 500 hours a year coaching the side. We run a 40-week program for our NPL youth."
Youth coaches can attract about $1500 to $4000 a season, depending how qualified they are.
Valentine secretary Melissa Larson said coach fees can work out to "$3.20 an hour". "They're doing it for the love of the game," she said.
Ms Larson said her club's junior, youth and community fees weren't used for first-grade costs, adding "we're transparent with our fees".
Part of the issue with costs is that the game is funded from the bottom-up, rather than the top-down. Football Australia collects $14 from those under 18 and $33 from seniors through registration fees. Some of this money is used to pay for the Socceroos and Matildas.

Newcastle Football chairman Steve Cucumanovski said the high cost of fees comes down to a lack of money at the top of the game.
He said the rugby league and AFL grassroots were propped up with big TV revenues. Those codes also gain more crowd revenue.
Mr Temelkovski also highlighted this issue, saying this was partly why "our sport is pay to play".
"The hard thing is, the better your child is at playing the sport, the more you seem to have to pay. That's the reality," he said.
He believed the price of youth football was a worthy issue to discuss, but said "I don't think there's an easy answer". "Is there a ceiling there and when we hit that point what is the impact?"
He said it was worth comparing the price of football to other youth activities like dancing, ballet and swimming.

Charlestown Azzurri secretary Roger Steel believed the NPL youth fees "are higher than they should be".
"It's a lot of money for kids' sport, but there are all sorts of costs like competition and refereeing fees that have to be distributed among players," Mr Steel said.
There are fewer volunteers available nowadays, so clubs had to pay people to do jobs. Clubs in Sydney or Melbourne are charging youth fees of $2500 to $3000, but "they have requirements that aren't imposed on us yet, like having full-time technical directors".
He said a lot of parents see their kids "as a future champion and are willing to pay whatever it takes".
As well as NPL fees, some parents pay for private training in Newcastle through programs run by the likes of former Jets player Jobe Wheelhouse and former Jets coach Clayton Zane.
"Parents are driven to help their child succeed at sport, but very few players end up making it to the top," Mr Steel said.

Mr Steel added that clubs know "it's not right" to use youth fees to pay seniors.
Maitland Magpies football manager Mick Mirisch said "from our perspective, no youth or JDL payments should cover any player payments for seniors".
"That's the way it should be. It's as simple as that," Mr Mirisch said.

A memo that Northern NSW Football sent to clubs in October said fees must reflect "actual expenses related to the player's participation in a competition".
The onus is on the clubs to satisfy the governing bodies that the fees are reasonable.

"Clubs are not permitted to 'bundle' other expenses [including player payments], which are not directly related to the player's participation in a competition."
Northern NSW Football has developed a budget template to help clubs "isolate expenses specifically related to the competition in which the player participates".
The memo acknowledged that the fees imposed by the vast majority of clubs were reasonable and "volunteers commit significant time to implementing a range of fundraising activities to keep their fees as low as possible".
Clubs can use the youth fees for coaching, playing strips, ground and facility maintenance, football equipment, competition and referee fees, field hire, administration and awards.
"Clubs need money to provide the football experience that parents are expecting. A kid playing NPL youth is a completely different experience to someone playing community football," Mr Eland said.
He added that some clubs have a lot more costs than others "when it comes to running facilities".

There are also community concerns that disadvantaged families cannot afford to pay the youth fees, but clubs and Northern NSW Football insist they do address this.
Macquarie Football Association general manager Warren Read urged players who leave premier league clubs to consider returning to community football to play for fun. Another concern among the footballing public is registration fees for community players. All-age players are being charged about $440 this season.
This includes, in one example, $157 to the club, $67 to the council for ground use, $133 to Northern NSW Football [the governing body], $50 to the zone association and $33 to Football Australia [the national body]. "The cost for a social game of football is getting out of control," one all-age player said. "We are losing young players."
In the Hunter, the average community registration fee is $165 (5-7s), $200 (8-11s), $255 (12-18s) and $360 (19+). Parents can use the $100 Active Kids voucher towards the fees. Mr Eland is confident that football "remains affordable and accessible for families".

Come on dudes. All the presos coming out and saying “we don’t use youth money for first grade”. I call BS on that!

So Rosebuds publish their fees breakdown. How many other clubs do this? I’m gonna say not many! If your club isn’t saying where that money goes then you know where that money goes!!

KITZ
20-02-2022, 05:38 PM
Mr Eland knows very well that payments exist. He also turns a blind eye because of the legal status that it draws his organisation into. Regardless, he is responsible to oversee the game locally, clubs paying out more than they earn, Youth NPL teams paying fees to supplement Seniors and after what I have seen over the last few weeks, if $2400 justifies some of the "qualified" coaching in NPL, we need a Royal Commission. De couple Youth, audit clubs spending and cap funds across two segments. Youth money goes to Youth football. Every NPL program in town will be broke in 12 mths.

Have you ever been on a club committee? Some of the higher profile players are paid by sponsors, not the clubs themselves. I mean have you forgotten that youth fees are not the only money a club brings in.

Maybe enlighten us which games you have seen that you are criticising so much? IÂ’m interested.

Texas Ranger
20-02-2022, 06:04 PM
Have you ever been on a club committee? Some of the higher profile players are paid by sponsors, not the clubs themselves. I mean have you forgotten that youth fees are not the only money a club brings in.

Maybe enlighten us which games you have seen that you are criticising so much? IÂ’m interested.
I agree. It might be contentious, but sponsor fees, canteen takings, gate takings and individual benefactors would provide substantial income for 1st grade players. It just doesn't seem to filter back down to the juniors to subsidise their costs.

The Berlin Wall
20-02-2022, 09:38 PM

I’ll indulge you Kitzy. Yes I have and continue to be on a committee so I speak with a bit more experience than most.

SAP and youth fees are the best thing that ever happened to clubs. Before sponsors or debt were king, but Northern handing over the kids licences to clubs changed it all. Yes we still have sponsors and yes those sponsors pay for the big names on the books. But don’t you dare kid yourself that canteens and benefactors are paying for 20 blokes on a retainer. And don’t get me started on those end of year bonuses.

We know you know it all but maybe you don’t know it all. But trust a brother, those fees you pay for your kids to be brilliant are also paying first graders. Don’t be angry thought. Everyone knows but you.

BBscone
20-02-2022, 11:30 PM

Maybe enlighten us which games you have seen that you are criticising so much? IÂ’m interested.Let's see...Committee - tick. Parent of a Youth player who was asked for a full rego in November to pay bills - tick. Involved in a transaction to retain a Senior player - tick. Yes sponsors kick in, yes there are other revenue streams but kids cash keeps the bills paid pre and after Christmas. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in dreamland. Clubs have wage bills into $100k+ to win a comp and earn $10k. Non binding contracts that Eland gets to keep at arm's length. The system is broken. Smaller clubs can't compete and without promotion or relegation, they don't have to.

The Berlin Wall
21-02-2022, 09:38 AM
Let's see...Committee - tick. Parent of a Youth player who was asked for a full rego in November to pay bills - tick. Involved in a transaction to retain a Senior player - tick. Yes sponsors kick in, yes there are other revenue streams but kids cash keeps the bills paid pre and after Christmas. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in dreamland. Clubs have wage bills into $100k+ to win a comp and earn $10k. Non binding contracts that Eland gets to keep at arm's length. The system is broken. Smaller clubs can't compete and without promotion or relegation, they don't have to.

Wait, what?!? This is happening at more than one club? But the Herald article and Kitz said...

Goatscheese
21-02-2022, 10:26 AM

This isn't private training though, players do go do private training as well and depending on the frequency is a lot more than what they pay for soccer. But when other codes are charging less for similar amount of training, games, facilities and equipment questions must be asked.

Goatscheese
21-02-2022, 10:30 AM
Glad we are yet to hear anyone say "if the federations didn't charge so much, cost would be less". While it would be the amount would be negligible since the total amount is about 5% of the fees.

KITZ
21-02-2022, 11:37 AM
Let's see...Committee - tick. Parent of a Youth player who was asked for a full rego in November to pay bills - tick. Involved in a transaction to retain a Senior player - tick. Yes sponsors kick in, yes there are other revenue streams but kids cash keeps the bills paid pre and after Christmas. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in dreamland. Clubs have wage bills into $100k+ to win a comp and earn $10k. Non binding contracts that Eland gets to keep at arm's length. The system is broken. Smaller clubs can't compete and without promotion or relegation, they don't have to.

sounds like you are at the wrong club. Never been asked or expected payment in one hit upfront from the few different clubs we have been involved in. Berlin over there seems to think that its happening everywhere but its obviously not and I've been at clubs at both ends of the spectrum. If you are on the committee and endorsed that behaviour are you not enabling and supporting that behaviour. I'm confused if you are against it or for it?

traffic light
21-02-2022, 08:09 PM
NPL could be capped at $750 not including playing strip. Club would then need to put on some more raffles for firsts.

Bremsstrahlung
22-02-2022, 10:13 PM
Remember paying $350 for a season in NBN, dress shirt, training shirts x 2, Home and away shorts and socks, and a jacket. The next year we had a training kit and it was $400 all up.

terry
22-02-2022, 11:19 PM
Remember paying $350 for a season in NBN, dress shirt, training shirts x 2, Home and away shorts and socks, and a jacket. The next year we had a training kit and it was $400 all up.

More than 10 years ago?

Daz
22-02-2022, 11:25 PM
I remember being outraged at schooners being upped to $2 each.

Captain_Carl
23-02-2022, 12:12 AM
I have some great news for everyone. You can all stay at home this season and just turn up on grand final day because I can tell you right now who will feature in the grand final for each age group:
U13 Olympic vs Magic
U14 Magic vs Edgeworth
U15 Olympic vs Magic
U16 Edgeworth vs Magic

That is set in stone my friends. If you want to dispute this you can go sit on a firecracker. Woo hoo!

BS detecor
23-02-2022, 08:39 AM

It ain’t 1972 anymore though

KITZ
23-02-2022, 09:21 AM
I have some great news for everyone. You can all stay at home this season and just turn up on grand final day because I can tell you right now who will feature in the grand final for each age group:
U13 Olympic vs Magic
U14 Magic vs Edgeworth
U15 Olympic vs Magic
U16 Edgeworth vs Magic

That is set in stone my friends. If you want to dispute this you can go sit on a firecracker. Woo hoo!

the 15s at magic were 7th last season, what do you think has changed so much they will now make the grand final over the 5 teams above them in the 16s? I like how you "magically" change who's in the GF based on who you are aligned to rather than performance.

sapdad
23-02-2022, 10:52 AM
U13 Olympic vs Magic
U14 Magic vs Edgeworth
U15 Olympic vs Magic
U16 Edgeworth vs Magic

Maybe you should have posted a spoiler alert before saying this Carl some of us were excited for the season.13s will be interesting as the 2 teams you mentioned were fantastic at JDL level but have both lost lots of talent to the Jets.Maitland and Jaffas may play a part in that age group too although Maitland lost a few to the Jets also.One thing ive seen from a few trials is that there are a few really small teams out there who really stand no chance against the more physical teams the step up to full field is going to be tough on a lot of them.

travellingman
23-02-2022, 11:05 AM
It ain’t 1972 anymore though

Try 92
I started in grade football in 79 and we paid $20 for a club shirt.
You wore whatever you liked for training gear and the Club provided the playing strip which was handed back after each game.

BS detecor
23-02-2022, 12:46 PM
Try 92
I started in grade football in 79 and we paid $20 for a club shirt.
You wore whatever you liked for training gear and the Club provided the playing strip which was handed back after each game.

Yep and you had to walk 5 miles to training in the snow uphill both ways

KITZ
23-02-2022, 03:04 PM

with no shoes, had to train with frostbite and didn't ever dare to complain because the coach would have made him run laps for the entire session.

Captain_Carl
23-02-2022, 11:16 PM
the 15s at magic were 7th last season, what do you think has changed so much they will now make the grand final over the 5 teams above them in the 16s? I like how you "magically" change who's in the GF based on who you are aligned to rather than performance.

I am aligned to Valentine and I was there watching youth games this evening. While I believe there will be improvement in Valo youth this year I don’t see any of their teams making the GF. Magic 16s have some amazing new recruits that will make all the difference.

U13s Olympic 4 Valentine 1
U14s Olympic 1 Valentine 1
U15s Olympic 7 Valentine 0
U16s Olympic 4 Valentine 0

travellingman
24-02-2022, 09:56 AM

with no shoes, had to train with frostbite and didn't ever dare to complain because the coach would have made him run laps for the entire session.

Yep you got it and still produced players for NSL, Young Socceroos and Socceroos, NOT anymore to the same extent.
Clubs started buying kits in the 90's so everyone looked the same on Game day. Training kits came in the late 90's.
Just be cause you look the part doesn't mean you can play.

KITZ
24-02-2022, 10:53 AM
Yep you got it and still produced players for NSL, Young Socceroos and Socceroos, NOT anymore to the same extent.
Clubs started buying kits in the 90's so everyone looked the same on Game day. Training kits came in the late 90's.

It has very little to do with what you are wearing (other than from a confidence and psychological standpoint), its about how hard you work, talent will only get you so far.

Here's a question though, what is the right amount of training? If we want to produce players of that calibre that what does or should the training load (and games I suppose as an extension of that) look like?

Goatscheese
24-02-2022, 12:10 PM
First thing is to shorten games times, bring them in line with Sydney. U13/14 is 2 x 30min periods. U15 (and U17 girls) is 2 x 35 min periods . U16 is 2 x 40 min periods. Then the players can focus on skill and not pound them at a young age just to get fitness for 40 min half's.

Gradually increase fitness over a few years.

Will even up some of the games too, as a fair few of the blowouts happen late in halfs/games.

Your solution to increasing a player's ability is to reduce the amount of time they are playing which reduces their time on the ball and time learning how to play.

The player's already won't be playing 80 mins (except for the keeper) since any good coach and club will ensure there is even rotation. Team of 15 will have players playing about 54 minutes each game. Under this silly proposal they would go down to 40 mins per game. We won't even be producing players to increase the quality of 1st grade let alone players to make it higher.

Anyone who wants to further reduce game time has rocks in the head. The fact the 18s and reserves aren't 45 mins is a disgrace.

Aegon
24-02-2022, 01:30 PM
It has very little to do with what you are wearing (other than from a confidence and psychological standpoint), its about how hard you work, talent will only get you so far.

Here's a question though, what is the right amount of training? If we want to produce players of that calibre that what does or should the training load (and games I suppose as an extension of that) look like?

Stole this from here:
http://www.dunedinfootballacademy.com/training-hours

On average, European academies train as follows:

Team Training (Average volume):
U12 and below: 41-42 weeks/year, 3x per week consisting of 4-5 hours training.
U13-U15: 44 weeks/year, 5x per week consisting of more than 7 hours training.
U16+: 45 weeks/year, 5x per week consisting of about 9 hours training.

Individual Training (Average volume):
U12 and below: once per week, 30-60 minutes.
U13-U15: twice per week, 90 minutes.
U16+: at least twice per week, about 120 minutes.

JettyJet
24-02-2022, 02:38 PM
First thing is to shorten games times, bring them in line with Sydney. U13/14 is 2 x 30min periods. U15 (and U17 girls) is 2 x 35 min periods . U16 is 2 x 40 min periods. Then the players can focus on skill and not pound them at a young age just to get fitness for 40 min half's.

Will even up some of the games too, as a fair few of the blowouts happen late in halfs/games.

Probably the 8th silliest thing I've read on here. Sydney comp has also moved to 13,14's x 35 and 15 and 16's 40.......... Just last week.
Literally NOBODY is saying spend less time on the park.

travellingman
24-02-2022, 04:27 PM

Stole this from here:
http://www.dunedinfootballacademy.com/training-hours

On average, European academies train as follows:

Team Training (Average volume):
U12 and below: 41-42 weeks/year, 3x per week consisting of 4-5 hours training.
U13-U15: 44 weeks/year, 5x per week consisting of more than 7 hours training.
U16+: 45 weeks/year, 5x per week consisting of about 9 hours training.

Individual Training (Average volume):
U12 and below: once per week, 30-60 minutes.
U13-U15: twice per week, 90 minutes.
U16+: at least twice per week, about 120 minutes.

Kids should have a ball at their feet everyday, whether that be organised or just individually honing their skills. Those that have the drive and ambition will do that others my just rest on their laurels.
Organised training sessions should be to develop game awareness and systems, and introduce new skills to hone at home.

The European clubs all have their own academies and in some cases kids get collected from school by the club buses, unfortunately we don't have those luxuries.

terry
24-02-2022, 05:40 PM

If shortening game time then have less squad members. Having 5/6 on the bench is stupid.

jim wallis
25-02-2022, 12:25 AM

Aint that the truth. Rep trials wearing scoops and still putting opponents over the fence!

SuperFish
25-02-2022, 04:56 PM
Apparently the TD at edgy has resigned effective immediately. Sounds like it was to make a stand to the club. Is this the fall of the eagle?

Oldy
26-02-2022, 12:30 AM
Apparently the TD at edgy has resigned effective immediately. Sounds like it was to make a stand to the club. Is this the fall of the eagle?

Theyll just get another one.

mge61
26-02-2022, 10:05 AM

Who was their TD?

Eastwest
27-02-2022, 09:42 PM
Who was their TD?

Glen C

terry
28-02-2022, 11:45 AM
Kids should have a ball at their feet everyday, whether that be organised or just individually honing their skills. Those that have the drive and ambition will do that others my just rest on their laurels.
Organised training sessions should be to develop game awareness and systems, and introduce new skills to hone at home.

The European clubs all have their own academies and in some cases kids get collected from school by the club buses, unfortunately we don't have those luxuries.

well said.

Lichael Richards
28-02-2022, 03:15 PM
Valo 14s seem to be trialing very well? Some new faces?

Captain_Carl
28-02-2022, 04:19 PM

Not many, just a few to replace those they lost to Jets. My mate Garbo just does a great job coaching them and is very development focussed.

KITZ
28-02-2022, 05:04 PM
Trials from the weekend
Olympic v Maitland

13s and 14s Maitland won but I don’t have the scores unfortunately.

15s Olympic 4-3
16s Maitland 5-3

Goatscheese
28-02-2022, 05:07 PM

Yes they got in some good new players including the Kahibah 13s keeper from last year that did very well

Goatscheese
28-02-2022, 05:22 PM
So the same old Magic coaches were sent from the field over the weekend against NL18s.

Not the first time nor will it be the last time from those two galahs but seems the Magic committee will back their friends over the perception of the club.

samcan
28-02-2022, 06:22 PM
So the same old Magic coaches were sent from the field over the weekend against NL18s.

Not the first time nor will it be the last time from those two galahs but seems the Magic committee will back their friends over the perception of the club.

oh no, not again. Tell me it wasnt the xxxL dude. He is a disgrace.

Culture wont change until it is club wide.

BBscone
01-03-2022, 10:14 AM

Not the first time nor will it be the last time from those two galahs but seems the Magic committee will back their friends over the perception of the club.They were never sent off. The two Magic Coaches carried on like they always do when their team is losing and at the end of the game one of the NL officials told the big fella to pull his head in. The rest of the day was trouble free and both Clubs seem to be striking up an interesting relationship as officials and Coaches from both Clubs were mingling and talking at length.

Goatscheese
01-03-2022, 12:42 PM
oh no, not again. Tell me it wasnt the xxxL dude. He is a disgrace.

Culture wont change until it is club wide.

Of course it was, we'll see it again.

Hurricane
01-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Trials from the weekend
Olympic v Maitland

13s and 14s Maitland won but I don’t have the scores unfortunately.

15s Olympic 4-3
16s Maitland 5-3

Great results for Maitland Kitz. What is happening at Olympic

YerMate
01-03-2022, 09:07 PM

Our son plays in this team at magic, we were once rivals and now part of this team, they have never been sent off so, that's a fouls statement to make.
what everyone doesn't see is the amount of effort they put into their squad to development their players into better footballers and young man, I first would admit that yes if you don't know them you would react like people do about them, its not fair just pointing them out other coaches do the same at other clubs.

The coach on the weekend got vocal because one of his players season or career nearly ended by a very disgusting challenge just before halftime as a parent, i don't see what they did wrong as was described by others in comments, how about telling the full story, they didn't verbally abuse anyone or hit anyone or approach anyone to intimidate anyone, unlike the officials that tried to intimidate them on the side line at the end of the game. I think they have been unfairly treated here, keep up the good work coaches and those who slander are only jealous that you guys aren't coaching their kids or teams, i see something special happening with this team in 2022. GO MAGIC

W8 WATCHER
01-03-2022, 09:13 PM
Our son plays in this team at magic, we were once rivals and now part of this team, they have never been sent off so, that's a fouls statement to make.
what everyone doesn't see is the amount of effort they put into their squad to development their players into better footballers and young man, I first would admit that yes if you don't know them you would react like people do about them, its not fair just pointing them out other coaches do the same at other clubs.

The coach on the weekend got vocal because one of his players season or career nearly ended by a very disgusting challenge just before halftime as a parent, i don't see what they did wrong as was described by others in comments, how about telling the full story, they didn't verbally abuse anyone or hit anyone or approach anyone to intimidate anyone, unlike the officials that tried to intimidate them on the side line at the end of the game. I think they have been unfairly treated here, keep up the good work coaches and those who slander are only jealous that you guys aren't coaching their kids or teams, i see something special happening with this team in 2022. GO MAGIC

Just beautiful

samcan
01-03-2022, 10:41 PM

Spoken like a true defensive fool. Youve gone to the right club from that post. Anyone defending that coach is just deluded.
Ive seen his appalling and obnoxious behavior over many years. The language, the abuse of his own players and opposition is just terrible.

The grub club strikes every week it seems.

The Berlin Wall
01-03-2022, 11:11 PM
Spoken like a true defensive fool. Youve gone to the right club from that post. Anyone defending that coach is just deluded.
Ive seen his appalling and obnoxious behavior over many years. The language, the abuse of his own players and opposition is just terrible.

Looking at YerMate’s past posts I would say with strong certainty that he IS the said coach.

Nice try with the just moved from a rival club buster. But that lie is as big as your shirt size.

samcan
01-03-2022, 11:26 PM
Looking at YerMate’s past posts I would say with strong certainty that he IS the said coach.

Nice try with the just moved from a rival club buster. But that lie is as big as your shirt size.

https://c.tenor.com/qO-AiHNj-jUAAAAC/mike-tyson-lol.gif

jessepinkman
01-03-2022, 11:35 PM

I’ve coached against this bloke twice. Both times the game has ended with abuse being directed towards my players, parents, or officials. One time even a 16 year old sibling of a player who tried to calm him down.

Embarrassing.

As for the joker who said he is helping his players develop as young men (clearly him by the way) you should know that young blokes will actually take their cues from your behaviour and mirror it. Laughable statement.

The Hacker
02-03-2022, 12:25 AM

Anyone going to name the coach for the uneducated

sapdad
02-03-2022, 11:42 AM
Anyone going to name the coach for the uneducated

Please dont.Its not needed.

I’m sure RH is doing wonders

Results v Valentine

13s 4-3 loss
14s 7-1 loss
15s 10-0 win
16s 4-1 loss

The best place for Jaffas JDL players to develop is to leave.

This is from another thread but thought it was interesting to respond here.Valo 13s and 14s have both had some very positive talk around their performances in the trials so far.Its really good to hear.Weird about the Jaffas this years 14s were clearly 2nd best last year behind Magic and they had a really good JDL 12 squad and got in quite a few good players to add to it.Maybe there is more to it but it would be sad to see if they have fallen away after such a good last few years.

Goatscheese
02-03-2022, 12:25 PM
*snip*

Plenty of other coaches put in a lot of time and effort to develop their players into better footballers and manage to not carry on like absolute pork chops everytime something doesn't go their way

You now may feel biased (even more so if you are actually the coach) and a need to defend the coach now you are part of the team but there is still no justification for the behaviour I saw on the weekend and in other games.

Oldy
02-03-2022, 12:53 PM
Plenty of other coaches put in a lot of time and effort to develop their players into better footballers and manage to not carry on like absolute pork chops everytime something doesn't go their way

You now may feel biased (even more so if you are actually the coach) and a need to defend the coach now you are part of the team but there is still no justification for the behaviour I saw on the weekend and in other games.

Well said.

Moving on. The comp kicks off this weekend and we have the usual east coast low to greet us.

Hope we get some games to watch.

KITZ
02-03-2022, 02:10 PM
Well said.

Moving on. The comp kicks off this weekend and we have the usual east coast low to greet us.

Hope we get some games to watch.

Nothing like having a million mid week games to start the season :(

KITZ
02-03-2022, 02:12 PM
Great results for Maitland Kitz. What is happening at Olympic

Honestly in the older 2 age groups I'd say they have had more player movement than they are used to. Maitland not so much, only maybe 3 or so come in the older age groups. Possibly just an off weekend, but Maitland have been doing a lot of work and have high expectations, so it could be that they are just catching the other clubs now.

Captain_Carl
02-03-2022, 10:24 PM
My mate Garbo is the U14s Valo coach and he is all about developing players and if the results come that is a bonus. He has kept the bulk of the team together from last year with a few new additions to replace the players he lost to Jets. Valo 13s could surprise a few teams but they are a work in progress. The 15s are on an upward curve and will finish higher than last year and the 16s have the chance to go far if they can be consistent. That is my review of my club Valentine. I am happy to hear anyone else review their club’s prospects.

finzee
02-03-2022, 11:06 PM
My mate Garbo is the U14s Valo coach and he is all about developing players and if the results come that is a bonus. He has kept the bulk of the team together from last year with a few new additions to replace the players he lost to Jets. Valo 13s could surprise a few teams but they are a work in progress. The 15s are on an upward curve and will finish higher than last year and the 16s have the chance to go far if they can be consistent. That is my review of my club Valentine. I am happy to hear anyone else review their club’s prospects.

15s getting pumped. 13s and 16s will do ok. 14s will do best imo.

terry
02-03-2022, 11:59 PM
Please dont.Its not needed.

This is from another thread but thought it was interesting to respond here.Valo 13s and 14s have both had some very positive talk around their performances in the trials so far.Its really good to hear.Weird about the Jaffas this years 14s were clearly 2nd best last year behind Magic and they had a really good JDL 12 squad and got in quite a few good players to add to it.Maybe there is more to it but it would be sad to see if they have fallen away after such a good last few years.

Difference between developing and acquiring players. Some good 15s came in. They took a couple of edgys best 12s from last year for the 13s. Not sure what is going on but you must play the system or you out.

terry
03-03-2022, 12:05 AM
Luckily North Coast has the bye. Grounds under water

Goatscheese
03-03-2022, 11:22 AM

Only time they should be washed out now they have the new artificial turf

BS detecor
03-03-2022, 11:25 AM

Won’t be the only ground under water this weekend

terry
03-03-2022, 01:19 PM
Won’t be the only ground under water this weekend

Yep. Wont be much, if any, to watch this weekend.

BS detecor
03-03-2022, 03:24 PM
Yep. Wont be much, if any, to watch this weekend.

Nope, the whole round has been cancelled

Just a nobody
06-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Any truth behind rumours that RD1 has been reset for this weekend coming as all games were postponed.

The Hacker
06-03-2022, 02:21 PM
Any truth behind rumours that RD1 has been reset for this weekend coming as all games were postponed.

No chance. It’s Northern. We will have Easter football being a spare weekend for everyone

Reds Forever
06-03-2022, 03:01 PM
No chance. It’s Northern. We will have Easter football being a spare weekend for everyone

Extract from NNSW announcement.

All senior matches will be rescheduled to the catch-up weekend on 30-31 July with the same kick off times and venues.

All youth matches will be moved to the catch-up round on 20-21 August.

Clubs are welcome to discuss these fixtures with their opposition with the potential to play them over the Easter weekend (senior only) or midweek, provided both clubs agree under regulation 22 of the Premier Competition Regulations.

mge61
06-03-2022, 04:02 PM
So they’re reckoning on no more rounds being washed out between now and then.

Captain_Carl
06-03-2022, 04:12 PM
Midweek games are an option. I like this idea because I can have a schnitzel burger for dinner while watching games.

Jim
09-03-2022, 06:16 PM
So they’re reckoning on no more rounds being washed out between now and then.

Yeah that is a long way off to replay a rd 1 game

Captain_Carl
11-03-2022, 05:01 PM
Congratulations to my two mates who have secured the TD roles for Edgeworth and South Cardiff respectively. I am sure you will both do a great job.

finzee
12-03-2022, 11:07 PM
Maitland Youth far too strong for Cookers.

Olympic v Valentine
13s 9-2
14s 1-6
15s 3-0
16s 1-1

The Berlin Wall
12-03-2022, 11:33 PM
Congratulations to my two mates who have secured the TD roles for Edgeworth and South Cardiff respectively. I am sure you will both do a great job.

Instead of eating them, spill the beans good Captain. Enlighten us to who dares to be your friend

Captain_Carl
13-03-2022, 12:29 AM
Instead of eating them, spill the beans good Captain. Enlighten us to who dares to be your friend

One of them is the new TD of Edgeworth and the other is the new TD of South Cardiff. Neither club has published it and both individuals said they don’t want it publicised so I must respect their decisions as they are both close mates.

The Berlin Wall
13-03-2022, 12:31 AM
One of them is the new TD of Edgeworth and the other is the new TD of South Cardiff. Neither club has published it and both individuals said they don’t want it publicised so I must respect their decisions as they are both close mates.

{bullshit}

Cheers Captain. Respect your decision.

KITZ
13-03-2022, 12:18 PM
Repost in the Youth Thread
Maitland V Cooks hill

13s 8-1
14s 6-0
15s 15-0

No 16s team

18s 6-4

terry
14-03-2022, 01:28 PM
Lake Mac v North Coast

13 2-7
14 0-9
15 1-4
16 1-4

sigh

KITZ
14-03-2022, 02:17 PM
Lake Mac v North Coast

13 2-7
14 0-9
15 1-4
16 1-4

sigh

If you are sighing over lakes results in round one, you must be new to football in Newcastle. Shame they missed the games against cooks hill and they got rescheduled, they likely will be wins for lakes this year.

terry
14-03-2022, 02:56 PM
If you are sighing over lakes results in round one, you must be new to football in Newcastle. Shame they missed the games against cooks hill and they got rescheduled, they likely will be wins for lakes this year.

Time and again they are touted to be one of the best clubs when developing youth kids but I just never see it.

Aegon
14-03-2022, 03:14 PM
Time and again they are touted to be one of the best clubs when developing youth kids but I just never see it.

Change doesn't happen overnight. I like a lot of what they are trying to achieve but it will take time to convince parents to keep their kids there rather than seek greener pastures or to attract new players from other clubs.

KITZ
14-03-2022, 03:56 PM

The problem is northern don't have metrics other than the ladder and results that are accessible, I have no doubt that players do get better and develop, especially if they have come in from outside of the development system, but it takes time for them to catchup and its usually in seniors you'll start to see that. There used to be lots of opportunity to play up, and that still happens - but without that opportunity the others may feel they aren't getting anything out of it if they aren't winning and also aren't getting opportunities in the older age groups.

It's a tough place to be and team cohesion drops when theres so much movement of players each season. Kids have to enjoy what they are doing or they won't want to keep doing it.

If they split the youth comp like they are talking about it might change a bit, but then some kids also won't want to be stuck in the bottom of the split either, even if that means being further up the ladder.

terry
15-03-2022, 10:41 AM
Anyone know who new Edgy Youth TD is?

mge61
15-03-2022, 01:16 PM
Anyone know who new Edgy Youth TD is?

Apparently Captain Carl does.

Jardelsimage
15-03-2022, 02:16 PM
Apparently Captain Carl does.

i know

Reds Forever
15-03-2022, 08:21 PM
i know

Edgeworth website has been updated now with TD listed as Mick Hugo.

jim wallis
15-03-2022, 10:03 PM
Edgeworth website has been updated now with TD listed as Mick Hugo.

:thumbsup:

What is his record at coaching?

Captain_Carl
17-03-2022, 11:32 AM
Last year he was co-coach of the Edgeworth 14s who finished 2nd so he must be pretty good!

BS detecor
17-03-2022, 04:17 PM
Last year he was co-coach of the Edgeworth 14s who finished 2nd so he must be pretty good!

He also coached a Charlestown team that got beat 22-0 so I wouldn’t use that metric. He is doing a lot for indigenous football and is a good bloke so I wish him luck.

Take it easy
18-03-2022, 10:01 AM
What’s peoples thoughts about the 9v9 tournament for the TSP and ALeague academies ?

Not sure I get the point of going back to smaller pitches and sides for 13s and above, what’s the perceived benefit

KITZ
18-03-2022, 12:03 PM
What’s peoples thoughts about the 9v9 tournament for the TSP and ALeague academies ?

Not sure I get the point of going back to smaller pitches and sides for 13s and above, what’s the perceived benefit

I got the gist that the ones being run by NSW football for the older age groups that they would be longer games, possibly on a bigger field. Not too many details on that one yet though.

With the younger boys, I think a lot of the 14/15s boys actually enjoyed playing the futsal styled tournament that was run last year before covid called off the season. They seemed to get into it all the same. It pushed them a lot more in the smaller space to be better with passing and first touch, no room to be making mistakes. If its not replacing their normal football but is rather in addition to it then I only see it as a value add.

Plus with these things its all about the opportunity to have different people see you and play opposition that makes you more aware of where you sit in the scheme of football at least across NSW - where are you skilled and what do you need to work harder on, being at the top in northern doesn't mean you are at the top of the game of NSW in general, and being challenged is a good opportunity.

Gtg212777
18-03-2022, 12:28 PM

I feel it will be a good opportunity for those that haven’t had the academy opportunity to press their claims for future consideration.

I am concerned for in particular the Newcastle Jets it will highlight a number of flaws in their program and the players that shouldn’t be there.

Ultimately looking forward to seeing it and watching some good football.

jim wallis
18-03-2022, 12:58 PM

Up till 14s 9v9 is great providing its at least box to box and there arent 16 already in a squad which makes it difficult for the Jets 13s 14s.
TSP can just choose 12 players.
More touches, quicker movement, more shooting.

jim wallis
18-03-2022, 01:44 PM

Got a link to info?

KITZ
18-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Got a link to info?

I don't think there's any public info available at the moment as it was sent as an invitation for a school holiday tournament opportunity for TSP squad members. Maybe they will put something out once they have the teams confirmed.

Goatscheese
19-03-2022, 08:23 AM

I know it is about improving technical skill because the idea is that a smaller pitch with less players means more touches on the ball.

However, FA want to say that it won't be till U15s that players will go to a full size pitch, leaving the tactical side of the game very late

KITZ
19-03-2022, 08:04 PM
not sure if cooks improved significantly from last week in the 15's or if theres concern there for Edgeworth with a 3-1 win over cooks after Maitland put 15 past them last week.

terry
19-03-2022, 11:06 PM
not sure if cooks improved significantly from last week in the 15's or if theres concern there for Edgeworth with a 3-1 win over cooks after Maitland put 15 past them last week.

big turnaround. Edgy 15s are good but Cookers did improve alot.

Captain_Carl
19-03-2022, 11:36 PM

There is definite concern for that team buddy. They lost several top players from last season with their leading goal scorers going to other clubs. They will struggle to compete with many clubs and my club Valo will do them like a dinner. Jeepers creepers yeah!

Oldy
20-03-2022, 07:40 PM
What the hell happened to Valentine 14s? they arent 12-1 bad.

KITZ
20-03-2022, 09:45 PM
What the hell happened to Valentine 14s? they arent 12-1 bad.

We had a couple out being covid close contacts this week, if it’s really off for them were they missing a few?

northern_swan
20-03-2022, 11:25 PM
We had a couple out being covid close contacts this week, if it’s really off for them were they missing a few?

This will be the norm over the course of the season. I’ve heard of an NPL club calling up five JDL 12s this weekend to cover for covid absences over the weekend

Goatscheese
21-03-2022, 10:34 AM

big turnaround. Edgy 15s are good but Cookers did improve alot.

Cooks Hill had half their 14s playing against Maitland. They had 6 of their players in isolation last weekend. Maitland were probably the team that lucked out in getting them when they had over a third of the team unavailable.

KITZ
21-03-2022, 12:34 PM
Cooks Hill had half their 14s playing against Maitland. They had 6 of their players in isolation last weekend. Maitland were probably the team that lucked out in getting them when they had over a third of the team unavailable.

Does anyone know if there's a threshold for players out, or if they have approached northern? Opportunity is always good for younger players but there must be some point where it's just not practical nor fair on the remaining players in that team to be playing a full team of younger players and have games written off like that. Everyone wants to play, but the cost of doing so will affect the rest of the season for everyone trying to play catch up on goal difference and for cooks trying to bring it back down again.

I wouldn't put it past Maitland in that age group though they did put 12 past a team with a full squad last year in a game. Can't switch off for any amount of the game, it can turn the game very quickly and become a blood bath of goals.

Isthisforreal
21-03-2022, 08:45 PM
I feel it will be a good opportunity for those that haven’t had the academy opportunity to press their claims for future consideration.

I am concerned for in particular the Newcastle Jets it will highlight a number of flaws in their program and the players that shouldn’t be there.

Ultimately looking forward to seeing it and watching some good football.

Seriously mate stop stressing, if your boy is good enough he’ll get his opportunity next year, the annual exodus to the mariners will open up a few spots…

Oldy
21-03-2022, 09:46 PM
Seriously mate stop stressing, if your boy is good enough he’ll get his opportunity next year, the annual exodus to the mariners will open up a few spots…

Exactly.

Reminds of a kids old man, in blue, who has to watch every bit of action and have the coaches ear to make sure his lad pushed up a level. And in multiple sports.

He isnt as good as his old man thinks and being a stand over merchant isnt good for anyone.

The Berlin Wall
24-03-2022, 10:22 PM
Exactly.

Reminds of a kids old man, in blue, who has to watch every bit of action and have the coaches ear to make sure his lad pushed up a level. And in multiple sports.

He isnt as good as his old man thinks and being a stand over merchant isnt good for anyone.

You are right about the dad but I bet the kid kicks more goals than anyone else in the comp this season.

terry
26-03-2022, 01:54 PM
Any games on?

KITZ
26-03-2022, 03:20 PM
Any games on?

maybe the games tomorrow in Coffs?

Captain_Carl
26-03-2022, 11:16 PM
maybe the games tomorrow in Coffs?

Cooks Hill and Jaffas played today as did Olympic and Adamstown apart from the 15s.

The Hacker
27-03-2022, 12:12 AM
Cooks Hill and Jaffas played today as did Olympic and Adamstown apart from the 15s.

Any scores

sapdad
27-03-2022, 12:01 PM
Any scores

Jaffas won all grades (no 16's game).Olympic won both 13s and 16s.Adamstown apparently hit with covid so no 14s or 15s played.Jaffas v Magic catchup midweek a much better indicator of who else will challenge for semis spots.13's and 14's very close games.

Budgie
27-03-2022, 03:28 PM
Hey guys, does anyone have any information on the supposed De Coupling next year ? Apparently 1/2 way through the comp the buottom half of NPL youth teams will drop down to NL1 and the top half of NL1 will go up to NPL

Captain_Carl
27-03-2022, 06:26 PM
Jaffas won all grades (no 16's game).Olympic won both 13s and 16s.Adamstown apparently hit with covid so no 14s or 15s played.Jaffas v Magic catchup midweek a much better indicator of who else will challenge for semis spots.13's and 14's very close games.

Magic vs Jaffas 15s and 16s were also close games brother.

Captain_Carl
27-03-2022, 06:27 PM
Yeah man that is what my contact from Weston told me.

sapdad
28-03-2022, 11:23 AM
Magic vs Jaffas 15s and 16s were also close games brother.

Sorry didnt mean to come across like that but I didnt see those games so couldnt comment.Ive already learned from not trusting scorelines.So far ive seen a 2 goal win that was as one sided a game as ive seen and a 6 goal difference that was a pretty even game.Looking forward to seeing Valo in action soon are you selling orange trumpets this season or do you still have the black ones from your Edgy days?

KITZ
28-03-2022, 02:21 PM
Hey guys, does anyone have any information on the supposed De Coupling next year ? Apparently 1/2 way through the comp the buottom half of NPL youth teams will drop down to NL1 and the top half of NL1 will go up to NPL

That's not the intention of decoupling from every conversation I've heard including in committees. If they do it it will split and the top half of NPL will stay and the bottom 4 or something will join with NL1 and everyone will just play each other more times during the season. Its not a demotion / promotion opportunity. The way you are explaining it doesn't mean more games against similar opposition which is supposed to be the goal.

Take it easy
28-03-2022, 03:49 PM
That's not the intention of decoupling from every conversation I've heard including in committees. If they do it it will split and the top half of NPL will stay and the bottom 4 or something will join with NL1 and everyone will just play each other more times during the season. Its not a demotion / promotion opportunity. The way you are explaining it doesn't mean more games against similar opposition which is supposed to be the goal.

It’s proposed format was to have 3 pools of 8 teams
NPL1 - 3

Promotion and relegation based on club championship with bottom two and top two swapping on an annual basis.

The Hacker
28-03-2022, 05:33 PM
It’s proposed format was to have 3 pools of 8 teams
NPL1 - 3

Promotion and relegation based on club championship with bottom two and top two swapping on an annual basis.

So if you had a strong say 13’s and 15’s and the other 2 teams were weaker. The strong teams will play in lower grade cause they get dragged down by the other 2 teams in the club. Then they belt teams in a lower grade. Makes no sense. Just add NL to the top division and problem solved

BS detecor
28-03-2022, 05:42 PM
So if you had a strong say 13’s and 15’s and the other 2 teams were weaker. The strong teams will play in lower grade cause they get dragged down by the other 2 teams in the club. Then they belt teams in a lower grade. Makes no sense. Just add NL to the top division and problem solved

In the Sydney comp 13’s aren’t included in club championship points

sapdad
28-03-2022, 06:02 PM
So if you had a strong say 13Â’s and 15Â’s and the other 2 teams were weaker. The strong teams will play in lower grade cause they get dragged down by the other 2 teams in the club. Then they belt teams in a lower grade. Makes no sense. Just add NL to the top division and problem solved

I agree with the promotion/relegation and split levels for youth and get what you are saying but are there any clubs where this is an issue at the moment?Most clubs have consistent results across gamedays.Bringing NL 13's up makes them at best bottom 4 in NPL youth anyway so doesnt make anything better.Still light years behind Magic/Olympic/Jaffas/Maitland.If they wanted better competition every week the kids should have all been trialing for spots in NPL youth teams there were plenty around in the trial period.

Captain_Carl
28-03-2022, 10:46 PM
Sorry didnt mean to come across like that but I didnt see those games so couldnt comment.Ive already learned from not trusting scorelines.So far ive seen a 2 goal win that was as one sided a game as ive seen and a 6 goal difference that was a pretty even game.Looking forward to seeing Valo in action soon are you selling orange trumpets this season or do you still have the black ones from your Edgy days?

My supplier doesn’t stock orange horns but if you see any please let me know. Hey it’s a beautiful day!

The Berlin Wall
29-03-2022, 10:19 AM
I agree with the promotion/relegation and split levels for youth and get what you are saying but are there any clubs where this is an issue at the moment?Most clubs have consistent results across gamedays.Bringing NL 13's up makes them at best bottom 4 in NPL youth anyway so doesnt make anything better.Still light years behind Magic/Olympic/Jaffas/Maitland.If they wanted better competition every week the kids should have all been trialing for spots in NPL youth teams there were plenty around in the trial period.

This is close to spot on. There is not a club in the HIT that will make a dent in any NPL age group at the mo. NL will dominant most ages this year but the kids playing there don't want a bar of that competitive NPL smoke. Check out how all their better kids jump ship before U12.

sapdad
29-03-2022, 10:46 AM
This is close to spot on. There is not a club in the HIT that will make a dent in any NPL age group at the mo. NL will dominant most ages this year but the kids playing there don't want a bar of that competitive NPL smoke. Check out how all their better kids jump ship before U12.

Just to be clear as well.This is not a knock on the kids.Winning every game is a great way to enjoy your sport for some and good luck to them.Its the chest beating parents and officials of some clubs that drive me crazy.

JustMe
29-03-2022, 12:19 PM
If they wanted better competition every week the kids should have all been trialing for spots in NPL youth teams there were plenty around in the trial period.

Correct. I cant understand why some teams recruit so late.

KITZ
29-03-2022, 02:54 PM

And a lot jump out of NPL who decide they don't like it there as well after the first year or two.

Maybe it means there's a place for the competition below to exist for the youth, but I think the chest beating that goes on up the top of that comp is misguided - I did hear a lot of commentary when we played NL last season about how they deserved to be in NPL more than us.

But they completely missed the point that if they wanted to be in NPL they would have been in the NPL to begin with slogging it out with the rest of the boys even if it meant not being at a club at the top of the ladder.

I think Cooks hill this season will demonstrate why just moving the teams around like suggested doesn't really solve anything, best case teams coming up realise they are just going to get flogged and wait to go back down, worst case kids will leave the sport even more than they are already due to the constant upheaval, or even more disruptive they will be jumping ship in even more numbers each season to try and stay in the top tier of football every year.

There really isn't the amount of players who want to be in the top tier by 16's as it stands now (i.e see cooks hill - no 16s). Decoupling was a serious consideration when we moved clubs to not end up being stuck next season in a team who weren't likely going to stay in NPL, which meant either moving to a club that likely wouldn't be down there, or playing up and potentially being out of youth football before that point.

BBscone
29-03-2022, 09:45 PM
I think we might be getting a little carried away with the overall quality in NPL Youth. NL1 teams should be a clear step below but there are zero guarantees the bottom 5 NPL teams finish ahead of NL and even now Belswans. Trial form showed that. That's surely good for the game though?. Ambitious second tier clubs having a crack? It exists all over the football world except here where the NPL clubs have no consequence for failure. If kids from these clubs don't want to go to Lakes or Rosebuds, what's the issue? Why do kids stay at NL and play at Alder Park when they could get a start at Rosebuds and play on Adamstown 1 every second week? Better coaches? Better TD? Better environment? The NPL Youth needs something ASAP. Too many promising NPL Youth who are now 19/20 playing Zone League or AA on the beers. Only a few clubs give Youth a decent chance. Northern have created a ceiling, the ceiling stifles progress. Football suffers. FYI - Cooks Hill Youth have been 3rd or 4th best in NL1 for a couple years now. I know they culled them when NPL was granted but they dropped the ball on their kids for some reason a couple of years ago. They were always the best of NL1 but overtaken by NL.

sapdad
29-03-2022, 10:30 PM
Why do kids stay at NL and play at Alder Park when they could get a start at Rosebuds and play on Adamstown 1 every second week? Better coaches? Better TD? Better environment?
A big chunk of them are there because they dont want to play Magic/Olympic/Maitland/Jaffas 8 times a season.Ill always give kids who front up to play for Lakes/Cookers/Adamstown credit because even if their teams arent the same level a big % of them are there to get better.Standout players in the bottom clubs will usually get an opportunity elsewhere at some stage.

sapdad
29-03-2022, 10:33 PM
I think we might be getting a little carried away with the overall quality in NPL Youth. NL1 teams should be a clear step below but there are zero guarantees the bottom 5 NPL teams finish ahead of NL and even now Belswans. Trial form showed that. That's surely good for the game though?. Ambitious second tier clubs having a crack?
I think thats where we all agree that a 3 tiered system of 8/10 teams each would see Belswans/NL/Adamstown/Lakes/Sth Cardiff all playing each other more regularly.It would also give some real consequences of success and failure to any clubs that outgrow their division.

Aegon
30-03-2022, 11:26 AM
A very good point, the status quo is doing nothing to expand the pool of players, doing nothing to force clubs to ensure they have proper Youth development program, doing nothing to improve kids. We are the only major federation in Australia to not have promotion and relegation amongst Youth (or seniors for that matter) and it shows by how bad it is.

I know NPL clubs don't like it because it suddenly means they might have to focus on actually making their players better. Decouple with promotion/relegation will be the shot in the arm the dismal state of Newcastle football needs.

Lack of promotion and relegation for youth removes any and all accountability. I couldn't agree with you more.

KITZ
30-03-2022, 12:40 PM
A very good point, the status quo is doing nothing to expand the pool of players, doing nothing to force clubs to ensure they have proper Youth development program, doing nothing to improve kids. We are the only major federation in Australia to not have promotion and relegation amongst Youth (or seniors for that matter) and it shows by how bad it is.

I know NPL clubs don't like it because it suddenly means they might have to focus on actually making their players better. Decouple with promotion/relegation will be the shot in the arm the dismal state of Newcastle football needs.

Where do you think all these players are going to magically appear from though that expands the pool of players? Ive seen what it looks like at both ends of the table and I really don't think decoupling or promotion / relegation changes any of it. The kids that don't want to be at the bottom of the table will never play there, the kids that do play there and want to be seen to be better will try and move out of those teams where there is constant movement in and out of top div in order to play their most competitive football. I think getting more players in requires a different strategy then prom/rel - but it will definitely test current players in different ways at certain points of the table and have some effect on the state of football in northern. I'm just not sure if it will be entirely positive, or a mixed bag at the end of the day.

Will be interested to see how it plays out.

sapdad
30-03-2022, 01:02 PM
Where do you think all these players are going to magically appear from though that expands the pool of players?.

The simple answer to this is JDL.And no it wont be this year,or next year,but it will eventually when the likes of Sth Cardiff,Bel Swans,Kahibah all have kids coming through that have had the same development opportunities as the Magics/Jaffas/Olympics.On your other point i agree that having 8 teams instead of 13 will mean that an Edgeworth, Charlestown or Mid Coast will all of a sudden be at the bottom in some divisions and how will the parents and kids handle that?Its a good question i dont have an answer for.

THEBIGCHEESE
30-03-2022, 01:28 PM
By having promotion and relegation brings about the following -

1 - Having more games which have a greater importance to them. If you are at a threat of relegation you have to win games for survival rather than going through the motions, maybe this feeling of success will be the first time players have tasted this and then creates a feel good feeling about that team which could lead to future success. Also the more games with relevance will improve training number throughout the season.

2 - Giving every team within the Newcastle region hope to win the top title. I agree this is unlikely, but why not? Why shouldn't every player have the opportunity of trying to win the highest competition possible to them.

3 - Give every player the chance to showcase their talents against the best players of their age groups.

4 - Allow Northern NSWF to see more players to identify rather than dismissing them due to the level they are currently playing.

5 - Coaches have different problems with teams that aren't necessarily following the FFA system. ie long ball, physical players, 4-4-2, keeper kick long. (just presuming)

6 - Players have different problems to deal with as above.

7 - Clubs will have more players to scout and offer spots to based on watching other players rather than giving these spots to the same old players, maybe providing them with some perspective about how good they really are.

8 - As above for parents.

9 - The best teams/players have to perform consistently for the whole season not just finals.

10 - More fans/parents at some of the smaller clubs increasing revenue for the that club to improve facilities, equipment, VEO camera or staff. Greater sponsorship opportunities because of greater exposure.

11 - Clubs might take the competition more serious and TD's may actually be held accountable for their roles.

12 - Promotion and relegation adds a human element which is missing from the FFA, players will deal with pressure, adversity, success, joy, happiness. These are lessons that ned to be taken into the real world when they are older.

Jim
31-03-2022, 08:37 PM
Lack of promotion and relegation for youth removes any and all accountability. I couldn't agree with you more.

Giving every team within the Newcastle region hope to win the top title. I agree this is unlikely, but why not? Why shouldn't every player have the opportunity of trying to win the highest competition possible to them.

Do clubs need to have all teams in the same div or can they be separated according to strength?

1. Play the first round in the 2 divisions of 12 teams as per schedule. Bottom 3 NPL club go down for 2nd round. Top 3 NL1 teams go up. (22 games) then semis

or

2. Have 3 divs of 8. Play 1 round (7 games). Bottom team down top team up for final 2 rounds. (21 games) semis for each div.

BBscone
31-03-2022, 11:29 PM
All of it will require tough but sensible conversations from Northern. NPL Clubs continuing to sit on their hands seriously needs to be addressed. JDL has at least opened up opportunity and aside from starry eyed parents taking Johnny and Mary off to seek a vein opportunity at a glamour club, in the main, good clubs do it well. Cruyff said your best Coaches should be Youth Coaches. Too many TDs are hands off at JDL level. Good TDs should be at JDL AND Youth training AND games. Hence why a Head Coach can't be a dual TD. Specialist role. De couple. Make it fluid, change change change. The National teams show that something is not working over the last 10-12 years. Watch a local NPL game. The quality has dropped drastically over a similar period. All overseen by Northern.

KITZ
01-04-2022, 12:25 PM
Ideally you would split teams but the logistics is a nightmare when you consider players back up the next team. Which is either needed because of injury but also done for development.

If you had an U13s team play at Blacksmiths, U14s at Cooks Square, U15s at Darling Park, and U16s at Coffs Harbour. Wouldn't be able to have players play more than one game.

Its not really workable is it. The clubs wouldn't want to try and organise it, it would be hard for the coaching staff, especially if someone is sick on the day, the same for the players - and it kills opportunity for them to mix it with the older boys, and a lot of them thrive on it.

Take it easy
01-04-2022, 12:38 PM
I am not against promotion and relegation, but I just do not see it being the thing that solves all the issues. It might fix some issues, it might even make the end of season recruitment circus worse. Recruitment will be more important.

Currently the teams at the bottom are probably doing the most development of players, because they have to, and every-time they do develop players they get poached by or move to the "bigger" clubs. You cannot say just because a club is in the lower ranks of the competition that they are not developing or trying to develop players.

The other issue I see with it is that teams will need to start "playing to win" near the end of the season - which is good and bad. The good is there is something to play for and consequences of losing, the bad is that the style of play will go out the window and development can suffer.

What parents need is a some sort of ranking on the quality of the coaching/development at the clubs. That is difficult, but do able. Currently the only thing to go by is results - so recruitment is king, the good kids tend to go to the "winning" clubs (as what else can they judge it on?), so it is a never ending cycle.

I’m so over hearing the boring cry of we can’t have kids playing to win it will stunt their development.

At what point do you develop a winning mentality ? Skills only take you so far.

The cotton wool approach is pathetic by the time NPL time comes around part of the development of players it teaching them how to win.

Promotion/ Relegation gives kids/clubs so many more opportunities to be competitive and play competitive games

Yes the big clubs will always be a destination of choice, but for those who don’t make it or chose not to playing in a competitive environment where you also have a chance to win more then you lose is a fantastic position to be in.

Also allows big clubs like NL to retain players and develop into a destination club because they have the ability to rise

Not going to happen over night but all clubs will find their level and will push to develop players to get winning results because let’s face it at some point in life winning matters

Jim
01-04-2022, 01:36 PM
Ideally you would split teams but the logistics is a nightmare when you consider players back up the next team. Which is either needed because of injury but also done for development.

If you had an U13s team play at Blacksmiths, U14s at Cooks Square, U15s at Darling Park, and U16s at Coffs Harbour. Wouldn't be able to have players play more than one game.

Fair enough.

So all teams stay in same tier aka current Metro NPL Youth. That is a decent model.

terry
01-04-2022, 01:42 PM
I’m so over hearing the boring cry of we can’t have kids playing to win it will stunt their development.

At what point do you develop a winning mentality ? Skills only take you so far.

The cotton wool approach is pathetic by the time NPL time comes around part of the development of players it teaching them how to win.

Promotion/ Relegation gives kids/clubs so many more opportunities to be competitive and play competitive games

Yes the big clubs will always be a destination of choice, but for those who don’t make it or chose not to playing in a competitive environment where you also have a chance to win more then you lose is a fantastic position to be in.

Also allows big clubs like NL to retain players and develop into a destination club because they have the ability to rise

Not going to happen over night but all clubs will find their level and will push to develop players to get winning results because let’s face it at some point in life winning matters

Essentially yes.
If the kids with a bit of competitive getup play against each other than good.
Thats why the 3 grades in youth would be good. If 1sts are tearing each other up div2 might be a different game to suit. Who knows we wont have the balls to try it anyway.

Goatscheese
01-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Its not really workable is it. The clubs wouldn't want to try and organise it, it would be hard for the coaching staff, especially if someone is sick on the day, the same for the players - and it kills opportunity for them to mix it with the older boys, and a lot of them thrive on it.

Agree, hence why I said it will be a nightmare

sapdad
01-04-2022, 03:41 PM

I dont think anyone is protesting 13's and up being about winning and I agree with your points.In the 2 age groups I'm involved with the best footballing teams get the best results anyway.Teams trying to catch them need to realise the only way to consistently win is to consistently outplay them.The odd jagged result because you got lucky with some long balls or a physical advantage is not sustainable.And with good football and good results comes more players wanting to be a part of that.Ive seen some teams in the lower third of the table play some good stuff and have some really good coaching but still cop some floggings.If they manage to sell the players on this and maybe even recruit a bit more quality they will progress just fine over time.

KITZ
06-04-2022, 03:34 PM
I hope we get some games on that aren't just JDL or YWPL this weekend, this forum is feeling a bit tame ATM :roflz: :roflz: :roflz:

Take it easy
06-04-2022, 03:42 PM
I hope we get some games on that aren't just JDL or YWPL this weekend, this forum is feeling a bit tame ATM :roflz: :roflz: :roflz:

🤣🤣🤣

The Jets NPL teams have been winning so that punching bag has slowed down too.

BS detecor
06-04-2022, 03:44 PM
������

The Jets NPL teams have been winning so that punching bag has slowed down too.

Pretty sure they lost 3 out of 5 grades last week.

KITZ
06-04-2022, 04:21 PM
Pretty sure they lost 3 out of 5 grades last week.

Ah, almost got there! lol.

Take it easy
06-04-2022, 04:56 PM
Ah, almost got there! lol.

At least they have something to whinge about now, we’ve opened the forum back up.

Must have been their poor selection process

Or was it the coaches favourites let the teams down

I’m sure the usual suspects will complain or find a reason to pipe up.

Jim
06-04-2022, 11:30 PM
At least they have something to whinge about now, we’ve opened the forum back up.

Must have been their poor selection process

Or was it the coaches favourites let the teams down

I’m sure the usual suspects will complain or find a reason to pipe up.

Selections are fine, not saying it's perfect though. The jury is still out on the coaching.

Still leading the club championship which should put Youth into top NPL next year.

Kew had better be getting the house in order for next year.

JustMe
06-04-2022, 11:46 PM
Selections are fine, not saying it's perfect though. The jury is still out on the coaching.

Still leading the club championship which should put Youth into top NPL next year.

Kew had better be getting the house in order for next year.

15s going ok after most of their lads moving on from last year.

Negative Police
06-04-2022, 11:47 PM

Washouts galore

KITZ
07-04-2022, 02:12 PM
Washouts galore

wish the rain would ***** off.

samcan
07-04-2022, 02:15 PM
Rain will go then Covid returns. Murphy's

Aegon
11-04-2022, 12:12 PM
Can't believe it is going into round 7 next weekend and some teams have played 1-2 games. Crazy start to the season.

sapdad
11-04-2022, 05:28 PM
Can't believe it is going into round 7 next weekend and some teams have played 1-2 games. Crazy start to the season.

Even teams that have played have done so understrength through covid and injuries.Have heard some horror stories already.

The Hacker
11-04-2022, 09:03 PM
Even teams that have played have done so understrength through covid and injuries.Have heard some horror stories already.

It will be had to judge teams and clubs fully this year. I heard one team had 3 players with broken arms then copped 4 out with Covid on top best part of half a squad. Makes it impossible

Aegon
12-04-2022, 11:38 AM
It will be had to judge teams and clubs fully this year. I heard one team had 3 players with broken arms then copped 4 out with Covid on top best part of half a squad. Makes it impossible

3 players with broken arms? that's horrendous luck.