PDA

View Full Version : are we being too precious about our grounds?

boz-monaut
13-04-2022, 09:57 PM
pre-season games aside - are Councils and clubs calling games of too readily every time we get a few millimetres of rain?

unless it's dangerous to play or there will be damage to the fields that would render them unplayable - should we play, even if it's going to damage the grass?

what happens in other climates where it rains all the bloody time, all the bloody time, rather than just when La Nina turns up ever few years?

terry
13-04-2022, 11:16 PM
Usually im seeing games called off too easily but the last fortnight the grounds ive checked are shyte

BS detecor
13-04-2022, 11:17 PM
pre-season games aside - are Councils and clubs calling games of too readily every time we get a few millimetres of rain?

unless it's dangerous to play or there will be damage to the fields that would render them unplayable - should we play, even if it's going to damage the grass?

what happens in other climates where it rains all the bloody time, all the bloody time, rather than just when La Nina turns up ever few years?

I think it’s time councils and clubs came together and more synthetic pitches were built in the region. I know Adamstown is trying to raise funds for one and Myer park is also getting an upgrade

ForeverRed
14-04-2022, 07:26 AM
Not enough grounds is the issue, the amount of traffic on NPL grounds is a huge problem, youth , woman, men, it adds up

anfield
14-04-2022, 09:36 AM
The last two weeks we have had a ridiculous amount of rain, why ruin the grounds for the year for a few games.

Bremsstrahlung
14-04-2022, 09:45 AM
Conflicted.
The debates are different for NPL/NL1 clubs vs community clubs.

I’m okay with a conservative approach at the beginning of the season. If pitches are waterlogged, and played on, the damage that occurs often won’t have sufficient time to recover. As FR says, there’s either games the the next day, midweek, or next weekend to think about. Once damage is done, it’s hard to get time to get it right again. Then we get the complaints of how rubbish and bobbly the pitch is. But as the season goes on, I’d like to see clubs be a bit more lenient.

Elite clubs should have sufficient drainage in place for their fields by now, surely. Any club that’s repeatedly washed out, that hasn’t made efforts to improve their drainage should have questions asked of them. Sometimes it’s inevitable. But clubs that have done very little to address it, should be held accountable. Or give the away team the option of hosting and reversing the fixtures if possible.

Most clubs put a lot of effort, time and $$, into their grounds so I can understand why they are reluctant to open them up sometimes. More so true for community clubs who don’t have endless funds to patch and manicure their pitches.

As for artificial pitches, I can’t see it being overly beneficial for anybody but the elite clubs that will be able to access them. I can’t see it affecting community clubs and teams for some time.
It definitely makes sense as a region, to have say 4 artificial pitches to begin, operated by NNSW, HVF, NF and Macquarie football to help generate funds all year round. Other than that, it’d be up to clubs to come together and say okay, let’s split this venture between us and share the usage/funds but that seems like a political nightmare.

immersion
14-04-2022, 09:48 AM
Not enough grounds is the issue, the amount of traffic on NPL grounds is a huge problem, youth , woman, men, it adds up

I agree this is a major contributor.

We have had a good amount of rain for a long time now. And the volume of games these grounds have to withstand is something grounds can't cope with when the weather is normal IMO.

The grounds deteriorate severely so quickly and as a result, the style of football plummets. Games become more direct because players do not faith in the pitch.

For me, this is lowering the development and quality of players in this area.

northern_swan
14-04-2022, 10:47 AM
I'm generally in the "get on and play" camp, however when looking at the grounds for the club i'm involved in at the moment, there's absolutely no way they can be played/trained on.

Hunter403
14-04-2022, 11:17 AM
Maybe more games scheduled mid week at LMRFF instead of it being an NPL / Jets training ground

BBscone
14-04-2022, 04:16 PM
Maybe more games scheduled mid week at LMRFF instead of it being an NPL / Jets training groundOr....instead of Newcastle Football spending $1mil on a meeting room and Elands staff and their fleet of staff cars and new amenities, put that money into a couple of local all weather pitches at select locations. Encourage club sharing of these resources to get games played, 7 days a week. User pays like LMRFF. FFS it isnt hard.

boz-monaut
14-04-2022, 04:46 PM
or spread that $1,000,000 over 20 grounds - $50,000 of ground improvements can do a lot

I'm not entirely sure that synthetic pitches are appropriate for Australian conditions - at least not without shading or watering to keep temperatures down

KITZ
14-04-2022, 05:26 PM
or spread that $1,000,000 over 20 grounds - $50,000 of ground improvements can do a lot

I'm not entirely sure that synthetic pitches are appropriate for Australian conditions - at least not without shading or watering to keep temperatures down

We don't play the season over summer though. Surely theres enough synthetic pitches across the country now to know what works for our weather conditions. Also doesn't hurt them to play in the rain every now and then.

I've heard playing in the snow is fun. How do they manage in the middle of winter in Scotland in the snow but we can't manage a winter in AU?

Jim
14-04-2022, 07:44 PM
Newcastle needs it's own synthetic complex.

Anything less is archaic and takes away from our ability to host and play regular comps and tournaments.

gibsonmcqueen
14-04-2022, 10:50 PM
I don't believe that NPL(and associated comps) should be prioritised over community football on grounds that are shared by both clubs. At the end of the day, the fields are community fields, there's more community players than there are NPL etc. And community players fork out a lot of money to play too. If you want to talk about the different trigger levels for games being called off on grounds that are solely NPL that's different, but where co-location occurs, it should be up to the ground committee and the same standards should be applied to both. None of this "we'll cancel community football on Saturday so that NPL can play Sunday"

With regard to artificial turf, councils shouldn't be providing turfed facilities. Councils don't even provide NPL level facilities; council provides community level facilities. The upfront capital cost along with the ongoing maintenance costs for artificial is cost prohibitive and won't pass a business case when there's fields out there little better than cow paddocks. Any artificial courts would have to be part of a regional level facility and kept under lock and key, as opposed to all other fields out there which are (when not in paid use) fully available to the general public (e.g. everyone is entitled to go down to Lyle Peacock, Jack McLaughlin, Lakes field, etc. At any time and go and kick a ball around on it) because they would be too at risk of damage and vandalism and the ability to repair the courts would be significantly less and substantially more expensive than grass fields. So I think the only way it would work would be to have the associations save up and create the facilities. Unfortunately though a lot of that cost would go down to community football who would never get on to it.

In my opinion the best option would be to work on getting as many fields as possible sand slit and irrigated. It's around $100-$150k per field to do but it would substantially decrease washouts. It wouldn't stop all washouts, Allen Davis, Charlestown, etc. Are all sandslit and yet are totally saturated at the moment, but it would significantly reduce the risks of washouts and help the fields hold up better. I also think if you asked most players, at least at the community level, whether they'd prefer to have $2m spent fixing up their amenities building that they barely step foot in, or $150k spent on minimising washouts, I think I know what the answer would be.

Bremsstrahlung
15-04-2022, 06:27 AM
Penrith council recently finished a multipurpose community artificial turf playing area.

https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/facilities-recreation/sports/jamison-park-synthetic-facility

It is fenced ( prevent cars and burnouts) but able to be accessed by anybody at any time providing there’s no “official booking”.
Nepean FC (NPL 3? They play in the Jets Youth comp) have hired it to get games on so far this season.

Edit: Over the summer in Penrith there’s been about 5 playing fields ripped up, and irrigation systems installed, and new turf laid.
Converting a grass athletics complex and football field into a Artificial turf and all weather athletics track.
Also installing irrigation system and turf upgrades and levelling to a 23 field Oz tag facility.

Prices they have quoted are here:

https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/facilities-recreation/sports/sports-facilities-upgrades

finzee
15-04-2022, 11:37 AM
Penrith council recently finished a multipurpose community artificial turf playing area.

https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/facilities-recreation/sports/jamison-park-synthetic-facility

It is fenced ( prevent cars and burnouts) but able to be accessed by anybody at any time providing there’s no “official booking”.
Nepean FC (NPL 3? They play in the Jets Youth comp) have hired it to get games on so far this season.

Nepean had washouts galore over the last month. Got them nowhere

Yato
29-04-2022, 05:42 PM
Some grounds already closed for Sunday. Seriously?!?

boz-monaut
29-04-2022, 05:44 PM
given how many grounds are closed this weekend after no rain this week (and not much the week before), I think people in charge of the grounds are being ridiculous

we're at the tail end of a La Nina event, it's not going to get any drier than this for several months - we'll have a mid week fixture pile up at the end of the season, with wet grounds anyway - the risk of injuries is going to be much higher than playing games on a slightly soft pitch

The Hacker
29-04-2022, 05:58 PM
Some grounds already closed for Sunday. Seriously?!?

What ground is closed on a Sunday already

boz-monaut
29-04-2022, 06:06 PM
grounds closed this weekend at:
Beresfield FC, Bolwarra Lorn JSC, Cardiff City, Clarence Town FC, Dudley Redhead FC, Fletcher, Garden Suburb FC, Gresford Vacy FC, Greta Branxton FC, Kurri Kurri Junior, Maitland Juniors, Maryland Fletcher, Minmi, Morisset, Shortland, South Cardiff FC, South Maitland FC, South Wallsend, Southern Lakes, Tenambit Sharks FC, Thornton Junior FC, Valentine Eleebana, Wallsend

since the 16mm of rain last Sunday, we have had 3.8mm of rain mid week

if grounds can't be used after that little rain in a week then we need to address why

I suspect Councils are closing the grounds out of fear of litigation - which is ridiculous

boz-monaut
29-04-2022, 06:06 PM
What ground is closed on a Sunday already

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLpwal_TuVJ79Ib8-MzDZCeWIbtNBXTqFh8zI81q1Zg/edit#gid=0

quite a few actually

Yato
29-04-2022, 07:12 PM
It really is insane. I’ve seen more injuries on rock hard pitches, than on muddy fields.
Imagine if we were in Europe with these ground closure rulings, we’d never get a game!
And why aren’t clubs already re-scheduling fixtures? Everything becomes a panic at the back end of the season when we have multiple games to catch up.
If clubs already know (not sure how) that there grounds won’t be good in 48 hours time, why are they not doing grounds swaps? Plenty of clubs with no games on this weekend. Reverse the fixture with your opponent! Granted, some clubs have already organised ground swaps, but really, is it that hard?

Jardelsimage
30-04-2022, 06:58 AM
grounds closed this weekend at:
Beresfield FC, Bolwarra Lorn JSC, Cardiff City, Clarence Town FC, Dudley Redhead FC, Fletcher, Garden Suburb FC, Gresford Vacy FC, Greta Branxton FC, Kurri Kurri Junior, Maitland Juniors, Maryland Fletcher, Minmi, Morisset, Shortland, South Cardiff FC, South Maitland FC, South Wallsend, Southern Lakes, Tenambit Sharks FC, Thornton Junior FC, Valentine Eleebana, Wallsend

since the 16mm of rain last Sunday, we have had 3.8mm of rain mid week

if grounds can't be used after that little rain in a week then we need to address why

I suspect Councils are closing the grounds out of fear of litigation - which is ridiculous

Cardiff City's No2 ground is out on Sunday, our No1 was played on last night and i must say just(it has had drainage works 2017 i think).
You cant walk on our No2 field without sinking and leaving quite substantial footprints, we also tried to mow the outside, so we could lines at least and the groundsman bogged the mower.
This ground i suspect will be out for at 2 weeks more or longer.
6-8 weeks of rain on a ground that has no drainage cant dry out.

LMCC leaves it up to the clubs to call it off, NCC doesn't.

Thomas477
30-04-2022, 08:29 AM
Also really depends on where the grounds are located, take Fletcher FC, Shortland and South Wallsend for example. All three are next to creeks or wetlands and are heavily affected by rain.

That being said, a ground like Minmi or Maryland I have questions about, especially Maryland when it’s 6-7 years old and at the top of a hill, same with Maitland Jnrs except their infrastructure I imagine would be a fair bit older.

Wandering
30-04-2022, 09:38 AM
Walked Minmi's field yesterday and there are still puddles of water in the middle of the two fields around the synthetic cricket pitch.

Since field 1 was re-turfed a couple of years ago council keep it closed at the drop of a hat and threaten our club with having today to re-turf if we cause anything over "general wear and tear"

We tried to get drainage done when the turf was ripped up but didn't have success unfortunately.

Thomas477
30-04-2022, 10:56 AM
That’s fair enough, surely you would’ve thought that returning it would’ve been the best time to install better drainage.

Yato
11-05-2022, 12:36 PM
More games called off tonight. Most teams already with at least 3 to make up, some haven’t even played yet.
When do we bite the bullet and stop preserving the fields for later in the season?
Will we even get every round played this year?
I’ve seen some terrible pitches out there, but seen plenty that are called off and are perfectly fine to play on. ����*♂️

boz-monaut
11-05-2022, 01:25 PM
exactly - it's not going to dry off later in the season - the BoM is stating that so I don't know what anyone in charge of grounds are thinking

check it out for yourself, the info is there - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/#/rainfall/extremes/p20/seasonal/1

spread sand around in the puddles if you have to - or, call me crazy here, but maybe players should wear boots with studs in them to avoid slipping over

reminds me of this "We ask for an examination of the grassland that was not suitable for the Syrian team, while Australian players seem to be wearing shoes that cling to the long grass, so we saw Syrian players fall during the game, while Australia's players are steady"

Hunter403
11-05-2022, 02:06 PM
How about NNSWF start using the LMRFF for matches every night and all weekend instead of renting it out for training sessions.

Aegon
11-05-2022, 02:13 PM
exactly - it's not going to dry off later in the season - the BoM is stating that so I don't know what anyone in charge of grounds are thinking

check it out for yourself, the info is there - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/#/rainfall/extremes/p20/seasonal/1

spread sand around in the puddles if you have to - or, call me crazy here, but maybe players should wear boots with studs in them to avoid slipping over

reminds me of this "We ask for an examination of the grassland that was not suitable for the Syrian team, while Australian players seem to be wearing shoes that cling to the long grass, so we saw Syrian players fall during the game, while Australia's players are steady"

Croudace Bay will be closed again for sure this week. We copped a heap of rain yesterday and CB1 was already closed.

Whilst I agree in principle that we are being overly precious, there are some hopelessly inadequate drainage systems on some grounds.

2ndclasscitizen
11-05-2022, 02:21 PM
How about NNSWF start using the LMRFF for matches every night and all weekend instead of renting it out for training sessions.

What, and use player's rego money to directly benefit players? Madness

boz-monaut
11-05-2022, 06:58 PM
well if they's spent some of the millions they pissed on LMRFF on ground improvements throughout the rest of the state, perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess

Bulldogs 1962
12-05-2022, 11:17 AM
My daughters club has spent considerable money in recent years on ground improvement, via sponsorship, fund raising and large grants. Majority of that money has been spent on irrigation and getting the playing surface to be like carpet. They are now on the NCC rie grass program. But we have barely been allowed on the oval, as zero $ has been spent on drainage and improving the field for wet weather use. In my opinion this should be a huge priority for a winter sport.

There are no senior team within the club except lower grade AA and O35s. The surface is amazing but now the committee calls it closed at a sneeze as the work and money put into it has made them extra cautious. They have an extremely large ammount of jnr players who are getting limited training and playing due to incorrect priorities, I feel.

I understand some fields are unplayable but some are being protected to heavily.

Sideline
13-05-2022, 12:38 PM
I think the biggest issue with most clubs is the fact that council charges for damages anything beyond general wear and tear, mass amounts of rain in short periods is something we have not had in previous years, once grounds are saturated during the cooler months it takes a hell of a long time to dry, im all for seeing teams get on on the weekend but I think one bad weekend of use will essentially wreck the ground for remainder of season then we will have everyone whinging the grounds are bumpy, no grass etc can't really win unfortuanatly I think common sense is the best go from what we have been seeing it's not only council looking after grounds I know a fair portion of clubs that put alot of time and money in to try and have a good surface for teams to play on, id say even with decent drainage with the rain amounts of late and lack of sunlight and heat we are going to have a long season of soft wet grounds

KITZ
13-05-2022, 02:08 PM

They are used all weekend. They get 4 JDL games on there at once and can run all day. The north coast NPL teams use it for their away games to make sure they get played when they come down, and the Jets academy also use it as their home ground for both boys and girls I believe. I wouldn't like to be the person having to organise that calendar every year.

Weeknight make up games should be a priority over being rented for training. though, its possible that clubs don't want to use it as it is a different playing surface.

A synthetic and grass hybrid might be the way to go in the future.

terry
13-05-2022, 08:39 PM

Or heaven forbid get a synthetic pitch in Newcastle so this pov city can have a whole 2 all weather centres.

boz-monaut
14-05-2022, 02:23 PM
forgive me for using facts and data here - but we're not even having that particularly wet a season (or year)

here's our rainfall expressed as a percentage of the mean for 5 months to May 2022

source: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/maps/rainfall/?variable=rainfall&map=percent&period=5month&region=ns&year=2022&month=04&day=30

Newcastle is having only a slightly wetter than average year - less than 25% wetter than your average year

admittedly, rainfall totals might not tell the full story - but no matter which way you look at it, we're not going through anything wildly out of the ordinary here

if we can only play in drier than average years then maybe we need to reconsider our grounds, or use screw in boots for once (remember them?)

GO AWAY
14-05-2022, 04:01 PM
Forget covid, this years comp will be shortened because clubs can call off fixtures too easily Â…Â… stags have played 3/6 Â….. Wallsend 2/6 Â…Â… please Â….. get the games bloody played nnsw. Show some balls. Kahibah v Toronto called off today ??????

Hunter403
14-05-2022, 11:41 PM
Forget covid, this years comp will be shortened because clubs can call off fixtures too easily Â…Â… stags have played 3/6 Â….. Wallsend 2/6 Â…Â… please Â….. get the games bloody played nnsw. Show some balls. Kahibah v Toronto called off today ??????

Kahibah unplayable today. You reckon Matt Moncrieff doesn't want to play?

Yato
20-05-2022, 05:06 PM
4mm of rain in the last 7 days. Quick, let’s close the grounds tonight!!!!

gibsonmcqueen
20-05-2022, 07:22 PM
4mm of rain in the last 7 days. Quick, let’s close the grounds tonight!!!!

I play at Argenton this week. I stopped in on Wednesday afternoon as I was driving by and the field was surprisingly dry. So when the games there this afternoon were called off after 6.6mm of rain I was surprised enough that I drove out there with a flash light to walk the field and see how drenched it must have got. Outside of one small area around half way the field was still pretty good. Far dryer than our home ground which has continued to have training on it all week and has games on it tonight. Absolutely gobsmacked that the Arge field is closed unless they're trying to save it for tomorrow's games as they have 3 tomorrow whereas they only had 2 planned for tonight.

Thomas477
20-05-2022, 07:52 PM
I play at Argenton this week. I stopped in on Wednesday afternoon as I was driving by and the field was surprisingly dry. So when the games there this afternoon were called off after 6.6mm of rain I was surprised enough that I drove out there with a flash light to walk the field and see how drenched it must have got. Outside of one small area around half way the field was still pretty good. Far dryer than our home ground which has continued to have training on it all week and has games on it tonight. Absolutely gobsmacked that the Arge field is closed unless they're trying to save it for tomorrow's games as they have 3 tomorrow whereas they only had 2 planned for tonight.

Good to know, I play there tomorrow too.

boz-monaut
20-05-2022, 10:09 PM
I just played on Charlestown Oval - it was a bit soft but not in any way dangerous

kudos to Charlestown for keeping their ground open

gibsonmcqueen
21-05-2022, 09:06 AM
Argenton closed today because apparently there is puddles of water on the field and in one of the goals. I wonder what excuse they used last night as there sure as hell was no issue with it last night. I went out there and walked it myself.

The associations may as well fold the comps and give everyone their money back so we can at least spend it on something productive. My team now has 4 washouts and work rain anticipated all week, I wouldn't be surprised if we've played 1 in 6 by this time next week.

gibsonmcqueen
21-05-2022, 09:46 AM
My last message got deleted when I tried to edit it. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong there. Anywho, I went out to Argie to check the field after it was cancelled today due to "puddles on the field" and they weren't lying, there were puddles on the field. Sort of ground you'd play a final on but not a normal round. So I can't blame the Argenton club for having it closed today (fully admit before visiting the ground though I was and I was wrong)

What makes no sense to me though is why they closed it last night. As I said, I went out there around the kickoff of what would have been the first game, with a torch and walked the entire field and there was no reason that those games should have been off and so calling those sort of games off is just going to make scheduling washouts that much harder as it's more games that need scheduling.

Let's be honest though, the season isn't going to be extended due to the cricket season always starting so quickly after soccer. They're running out if weeks to play washout games, we're (my team) is now at needing to play 4 wash outs over the next 9 rounds and with rain projected all week that's not going to change. The associations either need to work out a way to make sure games go on (don't ask me how), negotiate a way to make the season go longer (never seen it happen in the 25 years I've been playing), or may as well call the season, refund everyone their money and let people go and play some other sport (basketball and ice hockey never get washed out I'm told 😅)

Aegon
21-05-2022, 12:18 PM
We got on against Greta Branxton @ Rutherford last night. The field itself was actually quite firm.

terry
21-05-2022, 12:42 PM
Let's be honest though, the season isn't going to be extended due to the cricket season always starting so quickly after soccer. They're running out if weeks to play washout games, we're (my team) is now at needing to play 4 wash outs over the next 9 rounds and with rain projected all week that's not going to change. The associations either need to work out a way to make sure games go on (don't ask me how), negotiate a way to make the season go longer (never seen it happen in the 25 years I've been playing), or may as well call the season, refund everyone their money and let people go and play some other sport (basketball and ice hockey never get washed out I'm told ��)

Refunds? :rof::rof::rof::rof: But yes clubs will need to be very flexible to get games in. Theres been spells of dry where no games were happening.

Clubs should be allowed to negotiate matches to played asap and not waiting for this August shyte like the rd1 catchups.

northern_swan
21-05-2022, 04:02 PM
Let's be honest though, the season isn't going to be extended due to the cricket season always starting so quickly after soccer. They're running out if weeks to play washout games, we're (my team) is now at needing to play 4 wash outs over the next 9 rounds and with rain projected all week that's not going to change. The associations either need to work out a way to make sure games go on (don't ask me how), negotiate a way to make the season go longer (never seen it happen in the 25 years I've been playing), or may as well call the season, refund everyone their money and let people go and play some other sport (basketball and ice hockey never get washed out I'm told ��)

I’ll preface my comments below by starting with saying that I’m talking about community level football and cricket. Not NPL/NL1 & not the 2 day district cricket.

Cricket traditionally has started the Saturday after the October long weekend (Sat 8th for 2022). Inter district grand finals are currently booked in for 2/3/4 September (last comp round 5/6/7 august, then spare weekend, minor/major finals 19/20/21 aug, prelims 26/27/28 aug). Purely looking at dates, the latest they could conceivably play grand finals would be 23/24/25 September (keeping the long weekend free of football), so realistically the latest regular season competition rounds could be played would be 2/3/4 September to allow for a 3 week final series. That’s an additional 4 weeks they could extend the season for.
My understanding is that CCF have rescheduled their round 1&2 games that were called off to after their last round of the original schedule.

The only factor unaccounted for is preparation of turf wickets, which would take out grounds such as Jesmond Park (for example), but there’s no reason a ground like John street (as an example) where there’s a synthetic wicket between two fields couldn’t be used into October & beyond if needed (notwithstanding cricket having preference to bookings once October begins).

TL;DR - there’s no reason the zones can’t extend the season by a month, they just need to get off their arses and do it.

Thomas477
21-05-2022, 06:15 PM
Realistically they need to organise them sooner. My rd 1 match was rescheduled to mid july! Should be rescheduled asap and not up to the associations who seem to take forever to reorganise games

northern_swan
21-05-2022, 08:09 PM
Realistically they need to organise them sooner. My rd 1 match was rescheduled to mid july! Should be rescheduled asap and not up to the associations who seem to take forever to reorganise games

Absolutely! Macquarie in particular have been dragging the chain. Newcastle & Hunter Valley have rescheduled multiple games already.

Thomas477
21-05-2022, 11:33 PM
Absolutely! Macquarie in particular have been dragging the chain. Newcastle & Hunter Valley have rescheduled multiple games already.

I appreciate it’s a difficult job, but they should just try to reschedule as many Saturday games for the Sunday the following week or the week after, similar to how Zone is handled. Yes some grounds may have a lot of women games on Sunday, but work around that. Ie Jaffas only use Harry 1 this season, could use Harry 2 to help reschedule games.

2ndclasscitizen
23-05-2022, 09:49 AM

Us too, and it's smack in the middle of school holidays as well. Can see plenty of rescheduled matches getting forfeited due to lack of players. We're pushing to get a home washout of ours rescheduled to mid-week.

Yato
23-05-2022, 11:47 AM
Everyone understands the rain and the current washout situation each week, but I agree, games need to be rescheduled ASAP. Last week was fine all week, and I know of a couple of clubs that played rescheduled games, but then you have other teams that have 4 to play and not one has been rescheduled yet! It's not that hard surely!
My daughter's team played up the valley yesterday - the ground was perfect. 2 fields & that was the only game on for the whole day.
The associations need to start getting together and using fields like these to play double headers every weekend. Just do it.
About time they starting earning their money and being a bit proactive - re-organise them earlier!
There are plenty of clubs around that have vacant grounds every 2nd weekend, start using them.
Hopefully with the media coverage that the situation is getting now, rescheduling will start happening enmass, but then again nothing has changed in the last 20 years, we can only hope!

BS detecor
24-05-2022, 01:11 PM
Everyone understands the rain and the current washout situation each week, but I agree, games need to be rescheduled ASAP. Last week was fine all week, and I know of a couple of clubs that played rescheduled games, but then you have other teams that have 4 to play and not one has been rescheduled yet! It's not that hard surely!
My daughter's team played up the valley yesterday - the ground was perfect. 2 fields & that was the only game on for the whole day.
The associations need to start getting together and using fields like these to play double headers every weekend. Just do it.
About time they starting earning their money and being a bit proactive - re-organise them earlier!
There are plenty of clubs around that have vacant grounds every 2nd weekend, start using them.
Hopefully with the media coverage that the situation is getting now, rescheduling will start happening enmass, but then again nothing has changed in the last 20 years, we can only hope!

And I know of a club that cancelled rescheduled games last week when we finally had some nice weather because some of their players had colds and northern allowed it.

Two tone
25-05-2022, 10:30 PM
Cookers NPL got a game on tonight against lakes and the ground looked ok on the TV but had a lot of water up one end.
Cookers 5 v lakes 0

BBscone
26-05-2022, 09:05 AM
We are a week away from an ultimatum from zones and association. More wash outs 0-0 draws. Across all levels but Premier 1st grade replays. I feel sorry for kids and especially Premier parents in JDL and NPL/NL1 who pay big bucks. I have to wonder why Northern and the zones didn't see this situation coming with poor grounds in all Councils. I recall someone questioned why Newcastle Football spent a $1m on an office when it could have paid for an artificial surface somewhere. Or 10 drainage programs at varying clubs. Might be time to ask what the paid leaders are planning to reduce the impact. The only winners at the moment is Basketball. Easy to blame weather but so much money is incorrectly used by these co-op associations, Members need to question them.

gibsonmcqueen
27-05-2022, 12:52 PM

Best cancel the weekends games now ;-)

Premy
27-05-2022, 04:34 PM
I understand the difficulties in what is considered when calling a ground unsafe to play on.
That said calling a Saturday game off early on Friday afternoon is ridiculous, maybe the Association have to step in as it seems some clubs can't be trusted.

Charman
27-05-2022, 06:04 PM
I’m an advocate for making every opportunity to play. Often argue with the grounds staff. So today I walked Liles oval and there was no choice. It’s bloody wet. The bad areas are soggy and you sink when walking.

2ndclasscitizen
27-05-2022, 08:20 PM
I understand the difficulties in what is considered when calling a ground unsafe to play on.
That said calling a Saturday game off early on Friday afternoon is ridiculous, maybe the Association have to step in as it seems some clubs can't be trusted.

100%. We've had our match tomorrow called off this arvo while one of our blokes was standing by their field watching it get mowed. Take a punt and wait till the morning. Do not understand what is achieved by calling off on Friday given the season so far and what is going to be the season going forward.

The Hacker
27-05-2022, 08:27 PM
100%. We've had our match tomorrow called off this arvo while one of our blokes was standing by their field watching it get mowed. Take a punt and wait till the morning. Do not understand what is achieved by calling off on Friday given the season so far and what is going to be the season going forward.

Are they saving it for a higher grade Sunday? But yes calling a Saturday game on Friday is stretching it

Source
27-05-2022, 09:10 PM
With the money we pay for rego only to not be able to play a winter sport is ridiculous

late_to_the_game
27-05-2022, 10:40 PM
For those in the Newcastle Council area, this what council sends to the clubs every so often. The assessment is done using a council app and answering questions. It then decides if the field is open or closed. You have to take pictures with the app to support your answers.

Good afternoon all,

It feels like ground hog day...
We appreciate that club volunteers are being asked when sport can resume. As an update, Newcastle has received more than 614 millimetres of rainfall since February and Monday just gone, another 50.4 millimetres was recorded.
Leading into the weekend, many sportsgrounds remain wet, with those in low lying areas or close to waterways struggling to dry out in the cooler weather. Following today's inspections, please see here for current sportsground conditions.
Reminder on assessment process for any usage over the weekend (including tonight) –

From 2.30pm Friday to Sunday night, if it rains, an assessment will need to be completed prior to any train/ play.
If the sportsground is showing as closed, an assessment must be completed before any play/ train and can only be used if the assessment shows the sportsground as open.
If assessed and open, please be reminded that inspections should be completed throughout the day to ascertain if there is any deterioration to the condition of the sportsground.

Please be reminded that any excessive damage caused from inappropriate use is the responsibility of the Licensee. This may include recovery of all remediation costs and / or possible suspension of licence in instances where such damage is considered to be excessive and greater than would be expected from normal wear and tear. Additionally, any excessive damage caused to the sportsground from inappropriate use will be charged as per City of Newcastle’s fees and charges, “Use of Sportsground out of season, without approval/licence, closed or in wet weather".

We will continue to complete regular assessments across our 160 sportsgrounds to ensure all maintenance work continues when ground conditions allow.

Hopefully we see the sun out all weekend and it continues into next week.

Thank you again for all you are doing for community sport and should you have any questions, please contact me.

northern_swan
27-05-2022, 11:14 PM
I’m an advocate for making every opportunity to play. Often argue with the grounds staff. So today I walked Liles oval and there was no choice. It’s bloody wet. The bad areas are soggy and you sink when walking.

Spot on.
What’s the point in waiting until Saturday morning if it’s obvious the ground won’t be playable? It’s not like we are talking a little bit of rain. The Herald reported on Thursday that Newcastle had received 119.8mm of rain since Saturday. It’s not like it’s going to dry out overnight.

Spell Check
28-05-2022, 12:18 AM
For those in the Newcastle Council area, this what council sends to the clubs every so often. The assessment is done using a council app and answering questions. It then decides if the field is open or closed. You have to take pictures with the app to support your answers.

Good afternoon all,

We appreciate that club volunteers are being asked when sport can resume. As an update, Newcastle has received more than 614 millimetres of rainfall since February and Monday just gone, another 50.4 millimetres was recorded.
Leading into the weekend, many sportsgrounds remain wet, with those in low lying areas or close to waterways struggling to dry out in the cooler weather. Following today's inspections, please see here for current sportsground conditions.
Reminder on assessment process for any usage over the weekend (including tonight) –

From 2.30pm Friday to Sunday night, if it rains, an assessment will need to be completed prior to any train/ play.
If the sportsground is showing as closed, an assessment must be completed before any play/ train and can only be used if the assessment shows the sportsground as open.
If assessed and open, please be reminded that inspections should be completed throughout the day to ascertain if there is any deterioration to the condition of the sportsground.

Please be reminded that any excessive damage caused from inappropriate use is the responsibility of the Licensee. This may include recovery of all remediation costs and / or possible suspension of licence in instances where such damage is considered to be excessive and greater than would be expected from normal wear and tear. Additionally, any excessive damage caused to the sportsground from inappropriate use will be charged as per City of Newcastle’s fees and charges, “Use of Sportsground out of season, without approval/licence, closed or in wet weather".

We will continue to complete regular assessments across our 160 sportsgrounds to ensure all maintenance work continues when ground conditions allow.

Thank you again for all you are doing for community sport and should you have any questions, please contact me.

The app allows clubs to open the grounds on weekends even if Council has closed them but the liability then transfers to the clubs if someone gets injured. Plus you have Council threatening clubs with fines, licence suspensions, costs for repairing turf. And people wonder why games don’t get played.

I don’t blame the clubs at all. It’s a brave committee that makes a 50-50 call with all the Council noise buzzing in their ear.

If ya games don’t play this weekend, cut the clubs some slack and take up your beef with NCC.

Swanky
28-05-2022, 06:55 AM
I bet NCC still charge the clubs ground usage even if the ground is closed
That’s fine NCC can close the ground but if the ground is closed all week surely the club should get a rebate on their fees

Premy
28-05-2022, 08:29 AM
Spot on.
What’s the point in waiting until Saturday morning if it’s obvious the ground won’t be playable? It’s not like we are talking a little bit of rain. The Herald reported on Thursday that Newcastle had received 119.8mm of rain since Saturday. It’s not like it’s going to dry out overnight.

The point is that teams already have a list of rescheduled games to make up. Even if there is a slight chance the condition of that pitch will get better than you need to take that chance.
It's not like taking that chance is some huge gamble we're you'll lose big if you don't wait, all you have to do is wait 14 hours give or take.

Bremsstrahlung
28-05-2022, 09:47 AM

Good afternoon all,

The wording of this is very threatening to clubs imo. Basically a situation of, If the field looks damaged or used in any way when we inspect it, you’ll be charged. Which is an unnecessary cost that a club has to pay, and recoup through its members.

So I can see why many are hesitant to open when they are getting emails like that.

If it’s any consolation, games in Sydney are also being called off all over the place.

KITZ
28-05-2022, 10:27 AM
The wording of this is very threatening to clubs imo. Basically a situation of, If the field looks damaged or used in any way when we inspect it, you’ll be charged. Which is an unnecessary cost that a club has to pay, and recoup through its members.

So I can see why many are hesitant to open when they are getting emails like that.

If it’s any consolation, games in Sydney are also being called off all over the place.

People need to start lobbying and harassing elected council members, Councils refuse to consider synthetic options even when clubs are doing all the work and installation will be done with grant money. Then they send threatening emails about use of the grounds they can't be assed to make fit for purpose.

If people want change they need to start pushing the elected members to do a better job, instead of spending money on new cars and friggin concerts and motorsports (in Newcastle). They like to take all the credit when clubs get grants for womens facilities and upgrades, but don't want to come to the table when they actually have to do something that involves serving the community.

Thomas477
28-05-2022, 10:37 AM
People need to start lobbying and harassing elected council members, Councils refuse to consider synthetic options even when clubs are doing all the work and installation will be done with grant money. Then they send threatening emails about use of the grounds they can't be assed to make fit for purpose.

If people want change they need to start pushing the elected members to do a better job, instead of spending money on new cars and friggin concerts and motorsports (in Newcastle). They like to take all the credit when clubs get grants for womens facilities and upgrades, but don't want to come to the table when they actually have to do something that involves serving the community.

Pffft, council are more interested in spending millions on a brand new office and making sure Nelmes and co have a pay rise.

Don’t forget that Newcastle has increased rates by nearly 50% of the past 5 or so years, and yet we’re seeing very little work on our sports grounds. Look at Smith Park add lights there plus improve the sheds and it could support 4-5 fields but NCC don’t care.

Hurricane
28-05-2022, 01:43 PM
Maitland Jaffas game called off at Maitland today

KITZ
28-05-2022, 04:46 PM
Pffft, council are more interested in spending millions on a brand new office and making sure Nelmes and co have a pay rise.

Don’t forget that Newcastle has increased rates by nearly 50% of the past 5 or so years, and yet we’re seeing very little work on our sports grounds. Look at Smith Park add lights there plus improve the sheds and it could support 4-5 fields but NCC don’t care.

I agree with you completely.

We have a mayor who won't put bins in toilets for women, but spent 85k of council money on a special order ford ranger with a special paint tint - he couldn't even comprehend the optics of spending money on something that needs that much fuel (claimed he paid the difference for fuel for private use (at $2 a litre)) let alone the consideration of cost of living rises for his community or the fact that council has a green policy and could have better spent the money on an EV!!

These are the people who are controlling the use and maintenance of our sporting facilities.

late_to_the_game
29-05-2022, 03:03 AM
I bet NCC still charge the clubs ground usage even if the ground is closed
That’s fine NCC can close the ground but if the ground is closed all week surely the club should get a rebate on their fees

They do rebate on closed days.

riverboy
29-05-2022, 10:59 AM
I'm presuming nearly everyone got on this weekend? Surely, it hasn't rained since Tuesday.

Buddha
29-05-2022, 12:23 PM
I agree with you completely.

We have a mayor who won't put bins in toilets for women, but spent 85k of council money on a special order ford ranger with a special paint tint - he couldn't even comprehend the optics of spending money on something that needs that much fuel (claimed he paid the difference for fuel for private use (at $2 a litre)) let alone the consideration of cost of living rises for his community or the fact that council has a green policy and could have better spent the money on an EV!!

These are the people who are controlling the use and maintenance of our sporting facilities.

Good old Port Stephens Council

boz-monaut
30-05-2022, 02:34 PM
this is going to be released on social media at 4:30 this afternoon:

the following is scheduled for all competitions: ‐
MiniRoos to Adult
 8th,9th, 10th July – Round 1 games (previously published)
 12th, 13th, 14th August – Round 4 games
 19th, 20th, 21st August – Round 5 games
 Other games that need resetting from other rounds will be either midweek or Sundays for the
remainder of the season.

Zone Football League
 12th, 13th, 14th August – Wet Weather… 2022 fixtures
 19th, 20th, 21st August – additional Wet Weather
 26th, 27th, 28th August – Round 18

gibsonmcqueen
30-05-2022, 05:41 PM

MiniRoos to Adult
 Other games that need resetting from other rounds will be either midweek or Sundays for the
remainder of the season.

Zone Football League

This is good, definitely a start. Hopefully weather is drier by then.

Still pretty cheesed off that Macquarie is dragging their heels on getting other rounds replayed. Our Round 2 game at home could have been played last Sunday this Sunday, days during the week last week, this week, yet it still hasn't been reorganised yet. It'd be different if there were games being played on it and we just had to wait our turn to get on and play, but they're not rescheduling any games to go on it, they're just sitting empty.

Thomas477
30-05-2022, 07:21 PM
Still pretty cheesed off that Macquarie is dragging their heels on getting other rounds replayed. Our Round 2 game at home could have been played last Sunday this Sunday, days during the week last week, this week, yet it still hasn't been reorganised yet. It'd be different if there were games being played on it and we just had to wait our turn to get on and play, but they're not rescheduling any games to go on it, they're just sitting empty.

That’s the biggest question for me. I appreciate it’s hard work to reorganise, but surely it doesn’t take *this* long.

Lofty
30-05-2022, 09:22 PM

MiniRoos to Adult
remainder of the season.

Zone Football League

Ridiculous idea having the two wet weather weekends back to back. So if a team actually has their matches up to date, it will mean they have two weeks with no games in the lead up to finals. Surely the two weekends could have been spread out a little.

The Hacker
30-05-2022, 09:31 PM
Ridiculous idea having the two wet weather weekends back to back. So if a team actually has their matches up to date, it will mean they have two weeks with no games in the lead up to finals. Surely the two weekends could have been spread out a little.

Spot on you almost want one in that period

northern_swan
31-05-2022, 09:35 AM
This is good, definitely a start. Hopefully weather is drier by then.

Our club requested to play Round 2 on the long weekend and were declined by Macquarie :soapbox:

Lofty
31-05-2022, 10:02 AM
Spot on you almost want one in that period

It just doesn't make a lot of sense. There's still 10 rounds before that wet weather round. With most teams having a current game to make up, I don't see why they couldn't insert a wet weather weekend in for some time during June or early July to ease the burden and leave the one at the end of season up our sleeves. I realise there are some clubs with a number of games banked up, but there's still a lot of time in the season to fulfill those games. Back to back spare weekends is not the answer and clearly not thought about very logically from a playing point of view from the federations.

2ndclasscitizen
31-05-2022, 10:05 AM
Hopefully the wind and sunshine forecast today and tomorrow will get some of the moisture out of the grounds for the weekend. Was over at our pitch this morning and despite the storm last night it was reasonably firm underfoot. No dew this morning either which is good.

MiniRoos to Adult
remainder of the season.

Zone Football League

Already had our round 4 match showing in GameDay for the 13th.

Our club requested to play Round 2 on the long weekend and were declined by Macquarie :soapbox:

I can kinda understand that decision. No point rescheduling a washout when there's a high chance of forfeits with players away.

northern_swan
31-05-2022, 01:21 PM
I can kinda understand that decision. No point rescheduling a washout when there's a high chance of forfeits with players away.

I look at it from two differnt perspectives:
MiniRoos/Youth Interdistrict - More likely to be away the middle weekend of the School Holidays where they have already scheduled a round
AA/O35 - More likely to go away on the long weekend.
Possibly stuffed either weekend, for different reasons.

What i'm saying is, why not allow the club to contact opponents to see if they are available? Put it back on the teams to do the legwork and approve it if both teams agree.

If both teams agree, let them play. If one team cant, reschedule at another time.

To say a blanket "no" to the possibility of playing isn't being proactive or accomodating in what is again a disrupted season.

Bremsstrahlung
31-05-2022, 02:22 PM
I look at it from two differnt perspectives:
MiniRoos/Youth Interdistrict - More likely to be away the middle weekend of the School Holidays where they have already scheduled a round
AA/O35 - More likely to go away on the long weekend.
Possibly stuffed either weekend, for different reasons.

What i'm saying is, why not allow the club to contact opponents to see if they are available? Put it back on the teams to do the legwork and approve it if both teams agree.

If both teams agree, let them play. If one team cant, reschedule at another time.

To say a blanket "no" to the possibility of playing isn't being proactive or accomodating in what is again a disrupted season.

Makes sense for the 2 teams to be able to liaise with eachother, when teams agree on a date, send to Macquarie for approval.
Or leave it, let Macquarie reschedule as suits them.

May be tricky to get refs out to the fixtures, but if you wanna play, I don’t see why they can’t give clubs back some kind of power/ability to reschedule.

Jardelsimage
31-05-2022, 03:29 PM
Makes sense for the 2 teams to be able to liaise with eachother, when teams agree on a date, send to Macquarie for approval.
Or leave it, let Macquarie reschedule as suits them.

May be tricky to get refs out to the fixtures, but if you wanna play, I don’t see why they can’t give clubs back some kind of power/ability to reschedule.

yeh tried that, wasn't to well received by the powers that be. Had two games lined up to play.

gibsonmcqueen
31-05-2022, 06:29 PM

I guess it's my naivety; I actually always thought that the Queens birthday weekend was an early season wet weather weekend. Kind of assumed the districts were hedging bets. If there's no major wash outs everyone gets a week off on a holiday weekend; if there is a round washed out they've got a scheduled break they can replay it in.

2ndclasscitizen
01-06-2022, 10:13 AM
I guess it's my naivety; I actually always thought that the Queens birthday weekend was an early season wet weather weekend. Kind of assumed the districts were hedging bets. If there's no major wash outs everyone gets a week off on a holiday weekend; if there is a round washed out they've got a scheduled break they can replay it in.

The big problem is this:

yeh tried that, wasn't to well received by the powers that be. Had two games lined up to play.

The association don't like individual teams rescheduling indivdual games, they want all games for a particular washed out field all rescheduled together.

Jardelsimage
01-06-2022, 12:57 PM
The big problem is this:

The association don't like individual teams rescheduling individual games, they want all games for a particular washed out field all rescheduled together.

I am talking 1 or 2 games from last Friday night and the same on a Saturday that were both washed out.
We got one on with help from one association, as it was the weekends game and it had not been even noted as a washout at that stage, were meant to play last night but the weather pegged us again.

The other association wasn't happy as that's there job and told us to not to get involved basically.

They did say they understood why i was trying to do it, but don't please.

I think they should promote this if it gets done the correct way, emails etc, anything would help at the moment.

northern_swan
01-06-2022, 03:22 PM
I am talking 1 or 2 games from last Friday night and the same on a Saturday that were both washed out.
We got one on with help from one association, as it was the weekends game and it had not been even noted as a washout at that stage, were meant to play last night but the weather pegged us again.

The other association wasn't happy as that's there job and told us to not to get involved basically.

I think they should promote this if it gets done the correct way, emails etc, anything would help at the moment.

This is my major gripe with the association(s). The chain of commiunication is far too long to organise something in quick time.
Club A > Association X > Association Y > Club B and back again.

Nothing wrong with Club A & B getting together, organising the logistics and going to the Associations for approval. Except in the eyes of the powers that be.

Aegon
01-06-2022, 04:53 PM
This is my major gripe with the association(s). The chain of commiunication is far too long to organise something in quick time.
Club A > Association X > Association Y > Club B and back again.

Nothing wrong with Club A & B getting together, organising the logistics and going to the Associations for approval. Except in the eyes of the powers that be.

Maybe because without this involvement....... their relevancy would be questioned.

traffic light
01-06-2022, 07:13 PM
Maybe because without this involvement....... their relevancy would be questioned.

Might be time to take the board to court like the C&S cricket. We need to doers not overlords

2ndclasscitizen
01-06-2022, 11:44 PM

Had the exact same situation. Both sides working together late on a Friday night to get a Saturday fixture away only to be shot down because we were only doing one of the washed out games, not all of them.

gibsonmcqueen
04-06-2022, 04:43 PM
Another week, another wash out half hour before the match after all the other games on Friday night and Saturday got on.

Good weather for the next few weeks and I bet Macquarie doesn't attempt to reschedule any of the games.

BS detecor
18-06-2022, 12:12 PM
Cooks hill must have left the sprinklers on last night

The Hacker
18-06-2022, 12:48 PM
Cooks hill must have left the sprinklers on last night

Which grounds washed out

boz-monaut
18-06-2022, 12:53 PM
Athfield called off by the refs

too early in my opinion

The Hacker
18-06-2022, 01:01 PM
Athfield called off by the refs

too early in my opinion

I think some grounds that play today will get chewed up. It did piss down over night

boz-monaut
18-06-2022, 01:49 PM
no rain since the refs called it off, now the sun has come out

Jardelsimage
18-06-2022, 03:12 PM
no rain since the refs called it off, now the sun has come out

you know the best one about this is tomorrow's ZPL fixture has already been called off.....

The Hacker
18-06-2022, 03:29 PM
you know the best one about this is tomorrow's ZPL fixture has already been called off.....

Can’t even blame it being trashed today for calling it off

boz-monaut
18-06-2022, 03:44 PM
we've had 10 millimetres of rain int he hour leading up to what would have been kick off

maybe the refs knew something we didn't

still seems a little too hasty to call tomorrow off

Two tone
18-06-2022, 03:51 PM
Lambton v Charlestown res
Called off about 32 minute mark, score was 1v1
I can’t see games being played tomorrow

Two tone
18-06-2022, 03:56 PM
Adamstown v Maitland res
Called off at half time 0v2

BS detecor
18-06-2022, 04:22 PM
I think the answer to the forums topic is a resounding yes

Edit: back in the last century games were never called off once they had started and we would get excited about playing in the mud

Hurricane
18-06-2022, 04:26 PM
Both games that were called off were in 1st grade and both at around the 30 minute mark.
Jaffas Azzurri 1 - 1
Adamstown Maitland 0 - 2
Will these games be re started from the 30th minute with scores as they are , or will both games start again at 0 - 0 ?

The Hacker
18-06-2022, 04:34 PM
Judging by BarTV both grounds are now rooted

Two tone
18-06-2022, 04:42 PM
Both games that were called off were in 1st grade and both at around the 30 minute mark.
Jaffas Azzurri 1 - 1
Adamstown Maitland 0 - 2
Will these games be re started from the 30th minute with scores as they are , or will both games start again at 0 - 0 ?

Yep Hurricane Both games were 1st my mistake I’ve got the flu and drugged up to the eyeballs.

magician
18-06-2022, 04:43 PM
I think the answer to the forums topic is a resounding yes

Edit: back in the last century games were never called off once they had started and we would get excited about playing in the mud

Ya kidding right?

2ndclasscitizen
18-06-2022, 04:52 PM
we've had 10 millimetres of rain int he hour leading up to what would have been kick off

maybe the refs knew something we didn't

still seems a little too hasty to call tomorrow off

Just got out of a hit shower after 80min in pissing rain at no.6. Got called with a few min to go because the goal mouths were under water. No.4 completely under water. Not surprised Athtrack was called, there's been rain here in Cooks Hill consistently since this morning. Weird weather, our ref was surprised when be punted up, said he'd been playing golf in Belmont this morning.

Retro Jet
18-06-2022, 06:09 PM
Just got out of a hit shower after 80min in pissing rain at no.6. Got called with a few min to go because the goal mouths were under water. No.4 completely under water. Not surprised Athtrack was called, there's been rain here in Cooks Hill consistently since this morning. Weird weather, our ref was surprised when be punted up, said he'd been playing golf in Belmont this morning.

That's the first big rain we've had since playing on the new No.6.
I'll get down tomorrow sometime and walk that too.

sammydog
18-06-2022, 06:49 PM
Just drove past Myer Park on the way home from in town, both pitches looked like lakes.

Lot more rain has fallen in Newcastle than the northern end of the Lake.

chook
18-06-2022, 07:00 PM
Judging by BarTV both grounds are now rooted
Yep both grounds are basically scratched up chook pens. I seen various pics and what was on offer on BarTv. Devastating for the grounds teams who put in the hard yards to make a decent playing pitch.

boz-monaut
18-06-2022, 07:38 PM
Lot more rain has fallen in Newcastle than the northern end of the Lake.31mm in the 12 hours since 6 a.m at my place, which is close to Athletics Field and Olympic's ground

so yeah, a fair bit all things considered - no surprises that games get called off halfway through

BS detecor
18-06-2022, 10:34 PM
Ya kidding right?

No deadly serious

Spell Check
19-06-2022, 09:49 AM
https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/why-are-nrl-clubs-receiving-government-hand-outs-20220616-p5au9z.html

If you are wondering if/when the State government will step in to address the football grounds issue, please don’t hold your breath. If you are a wealthy NRL club however………….

boz-monaut
18-08-2022, 03:40 PM
so with with Bureau of Meteorology giving a 70% chance of the current La Nina cycle continuing into next year, are any clubs planning on fixing drainage at their grounds over the summer?

Buddha
18-08-2022, 04:00 PM
so with with Bureau of Meteorology giving a 70% chance of the current La Nina cycle continuing into next year, are any clubs planning on fixing drainage at their grounds over the summer?

Who can afford to? Maybe if clubs change their name to include Rugby League or Rugby Union that could help

boz-monaut
18-08-2022, 04:36 PM
https://www.bunnings.com.au/draincoil-100mm-x-100m-vinidex-socked-drainage-pipe_p0165695

a few of those, a working bee and you're all sorted

maybe a top dressing of sand if you've got a bit more cash, usually goes for about $50/cube delivered

what else are clubs spending money on?

sammydog
18-08-2022, 04:55 PM

Both ours were booked in for February this year. One ground for a drainage clean out on the 8 year old drainage, the other for a complete new system. Contractor couldn't get the materials so no works happened.

Booked in now for September before the cricket starts, main ground should be good for the drainage clean out, but the top pitch is too wet to get anywhere near. Lighting contractors got bogged yesterday trying to put trenching in and they were on the firm sections. Way it's going out lights wont be done for 2023 either if the wet continues.

So, if the rain doesn't stop for a decent period, our works despite being booked in likely wont happen and we will be down to one pitch again for 2023.

Hoping thats not the case.

Hunter403
19-08-2022, 07:23 AM

Players

northern_swan
19-08-2022, 11:21 AM
https://www.bunnings.com.au/draincoil-100mm-x-100m-vinidex-socked-drainage-pipe_p0165695

a few of those, a working bee and you're all sorted

maybe a top dressing of sand if you've got a bit more cash, usually goes for about $50/cube delivered

Do that and you won't be getting approved to use your ground again. The days of getting a volunteer to do works on a council asset are long gone.