PDA

View Full Version : HSGHPNUJFC & HSGHPNKFC v The Herald

Thomas477
11-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Another story by The Herald and another response by HSG.

Statement for Members and Supporters
Thursday, 11 October 2012 5:06 PM

The Hunter Sports Group (HSG), the Newcastle Knights and the Newcastle Jets have refrained from retaliating to the personal attacks being driven by a negative local press campaign over the past 12 months.

The Clubs understand Members and supporters would rather hear about their team doing well on the park, a new player joining the Club, a coach or former player being inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame, than any of the politics.

Due to this ongoing campaign and following Thursday's comments from former Knights Chairman Rob Tew, the matter needs to be addressed.

A story in today's Newcastle Herald gives the impression that a new tax debt has not been met by the HSG. This is completely wrong.

To publish this story without the facts is another example of the agenda driven by the Newcastle Herald against the HSG and their pessimistic view in general.

The Knights Chief Financial Officer for the past ten years confirmed the new tax debt was incurred during Mr. Tew’s tenure and overseen by previous senior management and the Board at the time of acquisition. The liability was not dealt with during this period by the Board due to ongoing cash flow problems.

The HSG paid all reported debts deemed payable by the old administration and Board at the time of acquisition; this was in excess of $6 million, which included unpaid tax of approximately $1.2 million. This is after advising HSG that the debt was in the vicinity of $3.5 million.

Mr. Tew’s regime left the Club in a dire financial state; he corresponded with the HSG to prepay funds in advance of the takeover deal to avoid the Knights being placed into administration. This was due to mounting debt and a huge taxation bill that the Board couldn't meet and would have been personally liable for.

The new debt that is referred to in today’s paper results from accounting adjustments of over $3 million dating back to May 2008.

This new $365,386 debt was recently brought to the attention of the HSG as payable after the 2011 year-end audit of the Members Club and will be paid in the normal course of business.

The HSG has placed all aspects of this issue today in the hands of its legal advisers and further action is anticipated.

“We are frustrated by the ongoing campaign to destabilise the Knights and Jets, which is to the detriment of every Novocastrian,” Group CEO Troy Palmer said.

“Nathan has made a considerable investment to ensure stable Knights and Jets football clubs.

“It appears some people can’t let go of the tall poppy syndrome or on-going political battles which almost destroyed the Knights on several occasions and they continue to promote any negativity they can about Nathan, be it fact or fiction.

“We have to all remember this is a man that has not only saved the Knights and Jets, but brought David Beckham, Darren Lockyer’s last Test match and Netball Tests to Newcastle, made a significant contribution to Surfest and a host of other benevolent gestures and never asked for a thank you.

“I have no doubt every Knights fan is excited that Nathan brought Wayne Bennett to the Knights and that we have an outstanding team and structure heading into season 2013.

“While the fact that Nathan was able to entice former England international Emile Heskey to join the Jets shows his commitment to both teams.”

The Knights have prospered commercially under the new management structure and have broken almost every previous key performance indictor against the past administration. In fact, both clubs are now amongst the benchmark clubs in the NRL and A-League.

“The Club is in a new and exciting era and it is time to focus on that,” Knights Chairman Paul Harragon said.

“The Knights have never been better positioned as a Football Club and that is solely thanks to Nathan.

“I am positive I can speak on behalf of all Members and supporters in saying we will never forget Nathan’s contribution to this Club and town.”

Because on this negative campaign driven by the Newcastle Herald, the Clubs have stopped their journalists from attending Knights and media opportunities.

Both clubs will continue to work with all other local and national media outlets and provide team information on the Club websites and social networks.

The Knights and Jets are open to fair and balanced criticism of their performance both on and off the field.

“We hope this provides clarity on recent reporting and that Members and supporters remain comfortable that Nathan has an ongoing commitment to ensure the best possible outcomes for both the Knights and Jets,” Palmer added.

“One thing is for certain, we will not let negativity nor the Newcastle Herald’s agenda drive us out of town or prevent us from running the Clubs for our community.”

Am I the only one completely over this now?

GazFish35
11-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Mum!
They're saying nasty things again!

FFS
Get on with running the club, dipshit Danny can see the herald are loose with facts and read it knowing that.

boz-monaut
11-10-2012, 09:32 PM
nope

given so much of this bullshit is going on behind closed doors and the public is almost certainly being bullshitted to by both sides, I kind of feel that HSG are given no choice but to cut all ties with the Herald and I see no one more guilty of peddling an agenda than Dillon

I'll not buy another paper until this bullshit is over

militiamon
11-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Cue q-dawg to come in and stick up for his best mate Dillon, journalist solidarity, First Amendment, blahblahblah

Blackmac79
11-10-2012, 09:54 PM
It's really a nothing issue.

A few of his now useless businesses will wind up due to the collapse of the Hunter Ports thingy.

What is a disgrace is the way that the Herald have been turned on for reporting news. If their was no story to tell then why have communication lines with both clubs been cut? Why have employees and contractors that have spoken to the herald been sacked or had contracts torn up?

Does Tinkler really expect us to believe this bullshit?

One positive is that the fat man will have a heart attack soon so we will be rid of him, just a matter of which comes first, lose all his money or die.

Palmer will be sad, likes sticking his face between those large cheeks...

Retro Jet
11-10-2012, 09:55 PM
nope

given so much of this bullshit is going on behind closed doors and the public is almost certainly being bullshitted to by both sides, I kind of feel that HSG are given no choice but to cut all ties with the Herald and I see no one more guilty of peddling an agenda than Dillon

I'll not buy another paper until this bullshit is over

Apart from the odd historical moment with football matters, I've refrained from purchasing the filthy rag since the pr!cks were in bed with the
Knights over the Breakers bust up.

GazFish35
11-10-2012, 10:07 PM

A few of his now useless businesses will wind up due to the collapse of the Hunter Ports thingy.

What is a disgrace is the way that the Herald have been turned on for reporting news. If their was no story to tell then why have communication lines with both clubs been cut? Why have employees and contractors that have spoken to the herald been sacked or had contracts torn up?

One positive is that the fat man will have a heart attack soon so we will be rid of him, just a matter of which comes first, lose all his money or die.

panem et circenses?

furns
12-10-2012, 12:45 AM

I think you're overreaching mate

pv4
12-10-2012, 06:14 AM
it's a shame that the herald have driven it all to this point - they were and i guess still are the best news outlet at putting football stories out there. brisbane papers give the roar sfa, even when they win shit, melbourne papers don't have glowing reports about bwb ultras so melbourne fans hate them, but it seems everyday the herald brings through a football story or two at least & the last few years have been a delight to open the paper & see at least a double spread of football in most sport sections. everytime i've picked up a telegraph lying around in the last few years, i've nearly vomited at the lack of football exposure.

but yeah, a good thing turned bad that i blame entirely on the journalists the herald have, and how their personal opinions have directed the bad press. i guess if people can go around blaming tinkler, or if people can blame troy palmer, or if people can blame deans, than my opinion on it's dillon's fault, and also his fault leading gardiner & co astray, is valid.

q-money
12-10-2012, 07:18 AM
I blame social meeja

and deans

Grunta
12-10-2012, 09:28 AM
I think the general problem with this paper (and others) is that they have stopped confining their opions to the Editorial section. It seems that more and more journalist see themselves as news makers not reporters.

Sure HSG/Tinks has screwed the pooch with some dealings (many businesse have done so in the past and will continue to do so inthe future) but if the problem lays with the former administration e.g. this $400k of tax debt than report that. It may well be HSGs problem now but if they didnt cause the issue put the blame at the feet of the pricks that did.

Also dont buy the Herald if you want to read about football, download their app and get it for free

Blackmac79
12-10-2012, 09:30 AM
I think you're overreaching mate

Can't I have a opinion from both ends of the argument?

hauss
12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Opinion masquerading as news

Rumour masquerading as facts

Not much drama happens in Newcastle so rather than focus more in depth on what is happening in our State, nation and internationally, our locally employed reporters blow local issues up way out of all proportion. Then they seem to develop grudges when people aren't happy about it.

q-money
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
banning journos is such a copout

furns
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Can't I have a opinion from both ends of the argument?course you can mate, however its the last two lines that clouded your argument.

De-Champ
12-10-2012, 09:58 AM
I do not know what all the fuss is about. He said/she said. At the end of the day, whoever incurred it, a debt is still owed.

FaroeMassive
12-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Don't really understand what the Herald have done wrong?
They have provided absolutely fantastic Soccer Football coverage for many years.
They may not be always 100% accurate (which news outlet is) but I really find it hard to believe that they have an agenda against Nathan Tinkler!

Tinkler is just throwing his toys out of the pram again, as he did when he tried and failed to hand back the A-League Licence. The big fat baby just can't hack what are actually quite warranted criticisms of his business dealings!!

You can't believe everything you read, but quite simply Tinkler is a very arrogant pig of a man who feels that because he is wealthy he can do as he wishes. He clearly feels that he is above criticism, and all this Herald boycott displays is his complete contempt for the general populous once more.

He sights all these wonderful things he has done for the "community", however it is all done purely for personal gain. *cough* 4th Coal Terminal *cough*

Tinker had a meteoric rise and is now experiencing a meteoric decline!

Pico
12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I do not know what all the fuss is about. He said/she said. At the end of the day, whoever incurred it, a debt is still owed.

Agreed but the tone of the article in question was that it was another example of HSG not paying, it was deliberately grouped with another piece about HSG having outstanding debts to Venues NSW, which apparently are so bad that Venues NSW is willing to give them a new 10 year lease.

You can't blame HSG for not paying a debt they were not informed about, racked up due to decisions by a former admin from as far back as 2008, which they were only made aware of in September.

Sure they should be paying the debt, but unless we have a smoking gun from the ATO saying that they are refusing to pay the ATO, which we don't yet, what exactly has HSG done wrong, not paid up in a timely manner for the herald or tew, they didn't pay it out at the same time as the original debt, a debt that increased by over a $1m from the original amount, bit hard to pay it if your not told about it. Add in the fact that the source of the article was a bloke who formed part of an admin that racked up what is clear now to be $1.5m ATO debt, up from the $1.2m that HSG was originally told and paid & the whole thing was a lot of innuendo.

I find it a bit rich that the herald and Tew would be calling out HSG for not paying the debt but it was a-ok for Tew and his board to sit back and rack up $1.5m in unpaid tax whilst the knights were under his leadership.

Disinterested Bystander
12-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Agreed but the tone of the article in question was that it was another example of HSG not paying, it was deliberately grouped with another piece about HSG having outstanding debts to Venues NSW, which apparently are so bad that Venues NSW is willing to give them a new 10 year lease.

You can't blame HSG for not paying a debt they were not informed about, racked up due to decisions by a former admin from as far back as 2008, which they were only made aware of in September.

Sure they should be paying the debt, but unless we have a smoking gun from the ATO saying that they are refusing to pay the ATO, which we don't yet, what exactly has HSG done wrong, not paid up in a timely manner for the herald or tew, they didn't pay it out at the same time as the original debt, a debt that increased by over a $1m from the original amount, bit hard to pay it if your not told about it. Add in the fact that the source of the article was a bloke who formed part of an admin that racked up what is clear now to be $1.5m ATO debt, up from the $1.2m that HSG was originally told and paid & the whole thing was a lot of innuendo.

I find it a bit rich that the herald and Tew would be calling out HSG for not paying the debt but it was a-ok for Tew and his board to sit back and rack up $1.5m in unpaid tax whilst the knights were under his leadership.

I find it a bit rich that people gobble up the HSG line as gospel truth and assume everything written by The Herald is part of an all out blitzkrieg against Tink's the people's hero. Given the truth probably lies somewhere in between the "Nathan is the saviour of the entire Hunter region and anyone who says otherwise is a terrorist who should be hung, drawn and quartered" end that Troy (and some of the HSG fanboys on here) spout and the "Tinkler is a dodgy ripoff merchant who screws everyone and needs to be brought to heel" end of the spectrum that the Herald represent, I think it'd be advisable to take anything from HSG or the Herald with a healthy dose of salt.

Pico
12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
I find it a bit rich that people gobble up the HSG line as gospel truth and assume everything written by The Herald is part of an all out blitzkrieg against Tink's the people's hero. Given the truth probably lies somewhere in between the "Nathan is the saviour of the entire Hunter region and anyone who says otherwise is a terrorist who should be hung, drawn and quartered" end that Troy (and some of the HSG fanboys on here) spout and the "Tinkler is a dodgy ripoff merchant who screws everyone and needs to be brought to heel" end of the spectrum that the Herald represent, I think it'd be advisable to take anything from HSG or the Herald with a healthy dose of salt.

I agree with the way HSG & the herald have been going at it this should do it.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/10/22/nyregion/22oswego.large2.jpg

GazFish35
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
is that tinkler's sugar intake?

Blackmac79
12-10-2012, 01:12 PM
daily.

plague
12-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I blame social meeja

and deans

This is the only relevant comment in this whole thread.
The rest of you are delusional.

Marcus
12-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I blame social meeja

and deans

(y)

*FREE
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM

what, so your supporters trust can take over? lol

MFKS
12-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately the Herald is actually winning this battle. Tinks has already got himself offside with many with the HAL pullout.

What is absolutely ridiculous is the constant reporting from the Herald on the state of Tinks empire. Billionaires and multi millionaires are for ever in debt and owe for this or owe for that. Why don't the Herald start showing the same scrutiny towards Jamie Packer or Rupert Murdoch or Gina Rinehart?? I am sure they owe a debt here or there. What is ridiculous is that despite the constant negative reporting on Tinks his empire hasn't got close to crashing and burning.

All HSG do is treat the Herald journos with disdain and distrust and every second day some hack passes off some piece to the Newy people about how Tinks hasn't paid a $20k bill and some plumber from Qld is down to eating rice and baked beans not caviar and Prawns.
FMD Not news

What is also funny is how so many people can't see through the bullshit and believe the Herald hook line and sinker coz they have trust issues with Tinks after the HAL pull out.

Remember this really started after some Herald hack proceeded to write an article summarising HSG issues with their involvement with both the Knights and the Jets. Nothing in the article was not already public record and was just a summary of events in one place with a negative tone. After this HSG responded with the **** you Jack response as they should and things have deteriorated since that day to where we are at.

The blame for this lays squarely at the Herald and HSG and Tinks have my full support on the matter. Take the ****s down

plague
12-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Tinks supports the Jets.
Herald does not.

Pretty easy to pick sides lads.

pv4
12-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Tinks supports the Jets.
Herald does not.

Pretty easy to pick sides lads.

thejokerclapping.gif