PDA

View Full Version : How Newy is Tiago - 2nd Edition

militiamon
13-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Post your appreciation of his antics here.

militiamon
13-10-2012, 11:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HuADw.png

BodyNovo
14-10-2012, 12:06 AM
the master of fifa fair play

seldom
14-10-2012, 12:30 AM
would like to know if he can throw one...still back mehmet

halo se7en
14-10-2012, 07:26 AM

Ref's a wanker...

Grunta
14-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Smart thinking as well to get Neville (I think) to drag himself back into the field of play to slow the game down.

stopper2
14-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Tiago has some good qualities but for me his negatives are just too much of a liability to the team. Once again (like last season) a reckless challenge of his led to a free-kick and a goal. Also the faking of injuries in order to waste time is a blight on our game....it's not a good look. The culture that GVE is seemingly trying to build at this club seems to be at odds with Tiago's whole style not only in the way he plays but in the way he conducts himself on the field.

WolfMan
14-10-2012, 08:37 AM
I think you'll find most people who aren't Sydney supporters would argue that Free Kick should never have been given. Tiago moved his body in an un-natural way to actually avoid making contact with Del Piero and ONLY win the ball.

I actually think Tiago had his finest game for us yesterday. Absolutely everywhere when he needed to be. Looking forward to he and Mitchell striking up a tight central pairing as the season continues.

GazFish35
14-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Tiago has some good qualities but for me his negatives are just too much of a liability to the team. Once again (like last season) a reckless challenge of his led to a free-kick and a goal. Also the faking of injuries in order to waste time is a blight on our game....it's not a good look. The culture that GVE is seemingly trying to build at this club seems to be at odds with Tiago's whole style not only in the way he plays but in the way he conducts himself on the field.
This

stopper2
14-10-2012, 08:51 AM
This
Does that mean you agree or disagree Fisho?

GazFish35
14-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Agree.
Though I think GVE secretly loves having a "win at all costs" type on the field.

q-money
14-10-2012, 09:08 AM
didn't someone chuck a water bottle at him from the crowd, which he then proceeded to drink?

ledge

WolfMan
14-10-2012, 09:29 AM
didn't someone chuck a water bottle at him from the crowd, which he then proceeded to drink?

ledge

Can confirm - hops off his chariot/ stretcher, trots over to the intended missile and proceeds to neck it whilst jogging along the sideline.

pv4
14-10-2012, 10:57 AM
a reckless challenge of his led to a free-kick and a goal.

i absolutely love tiago, so won't bother arguing with the majority of your post because i don't agree with most of it, but solely talking about that challenge last night - to me it wasn't even a foul, let alone a yellow and a freekick in a dangerous position. the ref had good & bad moments for both teams last night, and that particular challenge was a definite shocker. also how was it in the second half (?) sydney did a huge tackle on us & play was waved on, then in a matter of a minute or two we did exactly the same challenge on sydney & [mcclenahan?] went down like a sack and i think we got a yellow. adp, and sydney, were and are massively protected by referees.

also, tiago seems to unfairly have a target on his back by referees that says any challenge he does is a foul, regardless of if it is or not. it's bias refereeing against individuals, which doesn't speak that tiago is a liability as much as it speaks that the quality of reffing in the hal is hideous.

GazFish35
14-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Are you talking about a different tackle?

boz-monaut
14-10-2012, 11:26 AM
is that a euphemism?

Jeterpool
14-10-2012, 12:18 PM

I agree with you stopper2.

We as a game are starting to get a lot more positive media coverage. In what was billed as one of the biggest games of the round, probably of the year, and with a lot of neutrals watching who think "soccer" is full of "pansies and actors" is Tiago's behaviour (re: stretchered off and jumping off) what we want them seeing?

I had a laugh of it when it happened, even said if he wasn't on our team I would be pissed with the way he was behaving, but looking back its not what we want to do to attract more people to the sport.

Don't get me wrong, he played in the rules and did what he thought he had to do to get the result - it just doesn't sit well with me. He certainly had a good game otherwise and thought the yellow card was a pretty tough call.

Finally, picking up the water bottle was very funny...

militiamon
14-10-2012, 12:19 PM

ledge

I missed this at the time, far out :rof:

ledge for sure

Grunta
14-10-2012, 12:40 PM
I am most probably wrong (I frequently am) but now, if the stretcher comes out doesn't the injured party have to ride it off the field whether they want to or not?

plague
14-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Sif Sydney wouldn't have wasted time if they were up 3-2. Refs the one in charge of adding time on.

"Don't hate tha playa, hate tha game".

Love Tiago.

furns
14-10-2012, 01:01 PM
I am most probably wrong (I frequently am) but now, if the stretcher comes out doesn't the injured party have to ride it off the field whether they want to or not?off the field of play I am pretty sure. Once you go over the sidelines you can do what you want.

militiamon
14-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Spot on plague.

This is Sydney we're talking about.
3-2 up with 10 mins to go, can just imagine Del Piero falling over every blade of grass to win.
And they did get 5 mins of stoppage time.

Brilliant work Cheeahgoo.

BodyNovo
14-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Good for the game imo

About time we had our own grub that everyone hates

Thomas477
14-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Good for the game imo

About time we had our own grub that everyone hates

Thought that was Wheelhouse and/or Rubez?

furns
14-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Only Sydney fans hate RubeZ

parksey
14-10-2012, 05:22 PM
He was a rock yesterday. It's pretty harsh/outrageous to blame Del Piero's goal on his tackle.

As for his gamesmanship, I'm a big fan.

hawk
14-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Spot on plague.
This is Sydney we're talking about.
3-2 up with 10 mins to go, can just imagine Del Piero falling over every blade of grass to win.
And they did get 5 mins of stoppage time.

Smurfs are like manu in so many ways.

Tiggz is Newy <3

the_butcher
14-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Agree.
Though I think GVE secretly loves having a "win at all costs" type on the field.

Mate every newy player that takes the field should have that attitude. I'm putting this is the top five dumbest comments of the new foz, second only to the one in my sig.

the_butcher
14-10-2012, 06:09 PM
He was a rock yesterday. It's pretty harsh/outrageous to blame Del Piero's goal on his tackle.

As for his gamesmanship, I'm a big fan.

Well said porksey

GazFish35
14-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Mate every newy player that takes the field should have that attitude. I'm putting this is the top five dumbest comments of the new foz, second only to the one in my sig.

An honour. But I think you've misinterpreted my thoughts.

la bazzle
14-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Dead set legend. So many classic moments getting in smellpieros face and at half time 2 Sydney players warming up passing ball to each other tig dog walks between them and stops the ball.

q-money
14-10-2012, 10:46 PM
up there with the greats of the game

parksey
14-10-2012, 10:48 PM
tiago hero cam

q-money
14-10-2012, 10:52 PM
i'd watch it every week, we should start a petition

MFKS
14-10-2012, 10:53 PM
I think you'll find most people who aren't Sydney supporters would argue that Free Kick should never have been given. Tiago moved his body in an un-natural way to actually avoid making contact with Del Piero and ONLY win the ball.

I actually think Tiago had his finest game for us yesterday. Absolutely everywhere when he needed to be. Looking forward to he and Mitchell striking up a tight central pairing as the season continues.

Fully agree with you Wolfman. I thought we had many heroes yesterday and Tiago had a belter of a game. Got many good interceptions in to save our bacon at times. Have always felt the criticism of him last year was a bit harsh. He ain't quick but he makes up for it other ways. Always felt this season after settling in would see him go better.

As far as his tackle on ADP goes. I actually feel it went along way to helping us come away with the 3 points. Yes the free kick may have resulted in an ADP wondergoal wankfest but I feel it sent a message to ADP. Most of the game Rubes and Jobe spent their time jockeying ADP afraid to put a tackle in. As a result he was able to put on a few moves early showing his skills. As soon as Tiago snapped him it was almost as if ADP realised the gloves were off and he was not getting away with walking all over us. As a result despite the class he has everything else he did looked like a man trying to keep an eye out for the next aggressive tackle and as a result his impact was not as great as it could have been on Sydney or the final score.

boz-monaut
14-10-2012, 10:54 PM
they should allow dude on the Segway to be on the pitch following him around all game

q-money
14-10-2012, 10:56 PM
they should let him ride the segway whenever he wants

parksey
14-10-2012, 11:00 PM
someone should offer him a water bottle if he comes over to the bay next week.

MFKS
15-10-2012, 12:42 AM
If Tiago squares up and drops Hutcho on Saturday night the blokes Newyness will enter folklore.

Someone needs to let Tiago know Hutcho is good mates with Manny Muscat and the bloke will enter the same realms of legendary status as Griffo

WolfMan
15-10-2012, 05:56 AM

Ha! This

pistolpete
15-10-2012, 07:50 AM

Everyone in the bay should have one

Dogshot99
15-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Everyone in the bay should have one
To see that would be worth the price of admission alone.

Nelson Bay Road
15-10-2012, 09:05 PM
loved his work....he really coouldnt of been bothered to walk to bench for a drink. got a stretcher ride and the smurfs threw him a bottle, winning

front2
15-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Wish he saved it for Scuumm away. Btw did anyone see if T swallowed or spat it back towards the shitney bench.

Thomas477
20-10-2012, 11:29 PM
This bloke FFS.

I thought he was a liability, he still can be, but **** me he's been good the past two weeks. Couple of serious injuries miraculously healed in a few moments and the water bottle incident, he's rising to be my favourite just for his antics.

Bloke is pure Newy.

MFKS
20-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Liked the one when he won a free kick in the second half and hurled the ball to the ground about 5 yards off the mark. Gypo picked it up and hurled it back. Tiago smiled winked and took 6 yards next time.

****ing Legend

Jeterpool
21-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Liked the one when he won a free kick in the second half and hurled the ball to the ground about 5 yards off the mark. Gypo picked it up and hurled it back. Tiago smiled winked and took 6 yards next time.

****ing Legend

Yep. Gypo complained to the ref who all but shrugged his shoulders.

Grunta
21-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Yep this bloke has really come into the game for us. Hard when he needs to be and very tactical at the right moments within the game

NewcastleForLife
21-10-2012, 08:51 AM
This bloke FFS.

I thought he was a liability, he still can be, but **** me he's been good the past two weeks. Couple of serious injuries miraculously healed in a few moments and the water bottle incident, he's rising to be my favourite just for his antics.

Bloke is pure Newy.

Completely agree.

When they were doing their lap after the game he also walked past the gypos with a finger to his lips and got the rest of the squad to clap and wave and the scum, was ****ing brilliant. He had a huge grin on his face the whole time. Newy as

parksey
21-10-2012, 01:20 PM
his tackle on mcbreen was magical.

hawk
21-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Tiago <3. Well in son.

stopper2
21-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Yeah he is winning me over too. What I like about him is that he has football smarts, you only get that from experience and South American's just seem to have that little bit of extra mongrel in them where they as said previously "win at all costs"

Thomas477
26-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Tiago doing it for Novocastrians again tonight, felt the game was getting too boring, so he went to Archie "Have this".

Love the bloke.

sh10
26-10-2012, 11:13 PM
always good for at least one brain fart per game

Grimario
26-10-2012, 11:15 PM
He is so completely and utterly Newy. Brilliant and flawed, all at once. Wouldn't be Newy if he didn't have those brain farts.

militiamon
27-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Ohmygod Tiagz <3

Celebration for our second :cool:

Ledge

q-money
27-10-2012, 07:24 AM
he does what he wants

militiamon
04-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Not enough praise has been given for his first goal, and in particular his celebration.

It was, to say the least, brilliant in all its confusion :cool:

parksey
04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
gangnam style

BodyNovo
05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
he did the celebration fans to all the victory supporters after winning 3-1 last year in melbourne except it had a better ending to it when he stuck his rear end out to the supporters, him and rubez were giving the big ones.

goaliepersempre
05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
he did the celebration fans to all the victory supporters after winning 3-1 last year in melbourne except it had a better ending to it when he stuck his rear end out to the supporters, him and rubez were giving the big ones.

this..

Grimario
05-11-2012, 10:07 AM
He is so completely and utterly Newy. Brilliant and flawed, all at once. Wouldn't be Newy if he didn't have those brain farts.

And another week of Tiago being Newy. Goal, brilliant celebration, mostly great defending, brain fart pass direct to PG's best player to set up their goal.

sh10
05-11-2012, 11:46 AM
And another week of Tiago being Newy. Goal, brilliant celebration, mostly great defending, brain fart pass direct to PG's best player to set up their goal.

don't forget needless yellow card early in the game

q-money
05-11-2012, 02:44 PM
our leader and all round hero of the common man, tiago is up for questioning on jets insider this week - gogogogo

parksey
05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/full/1559609.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zi9F7.jpg

q-money
05-11-2012, 03:37 PM
good one m8 very based and rare

pv4
05-11-2012, 03:39 PM
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/155342326-tiago-calvano-of-the-jets-looks-to-pass-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QRZH4MhXDN5UqYHg27Andjs%2BBa EBhTUa0zxgGf39k5MB32cGFa2%2F5I0lzSKduw6gbA%3D%3D

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/155342324-tiago-calvano-of-the-jets-passes-the-ball-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QVeA1IcQGPIs9ixb98yNXxw%2FCg vDmlbAsYjtfatRBwiK044uKHIbrQwYJsQO2l7VUw%3D%3D

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/full/1559609.jpg

parksey
05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Alessandro+Del+Piero+Tiago+Calvano+League+umyH7aoS fxEl.jpg

q-money
05-11-2012, 03:44 PM
:oops:

Grimario
05-11-2012, 03:58 PM
don't forget needless yellow card early in the game

Proper newy that yellow card because it was completely undeserved, like every card we have ever received....

:gent:

militiamon
09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
From Jets Insider this week:

@bradley2HC asks via Twitter: How did that water in the bottle that was thrown at you in Sydney taste? Funniest dude hahaha.

TC: It was beautiful, very refreshing.

:rof:

Full Q&A with our man:

@W0LV3S asks via Twitter: Tiago, you seem to look more comfortable with your role at the back this season. What has been the catalyst?

Tiago Calvano (TC): It’s my second season here, I know the competition better and I know my teammates better. I also know the opposition we play against and that makes it easier.

We had a very good pre-season to prepare. It was a long pre-season but it has helped me a lot this year.

@reidloder asks via Twitter: Who was your inspiration growing up?

TC: Definitely my dad who was a man who I looked up to and he taught me everything. My cousin was another inspiration. He was a footballer and also someone that I looked up to.

@Ivankovic_ asks via Twitter: How did you feel scoring the first goal against Perth last Saturday night?

TC: It is always good when you score but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to help the team to win the game. I’d prefer if I didn’t score and we won the game.

@MrGlass23 asks via Twitter: Congrats on your first A-League goal last weekend Tiago! Could you explain the celebration you did after you scored?

TC: I have a lot of friends in Brazil who go to parties and they dance like that. I promised them when I scored my first goal I would do that dance.

@phhilchhow asks via Twitter: Hi Tiago. Are you excited about World Cup 2014 in Brazil? Do you think we deserve to host a World Cup here in Australia?

TC: I’m very excited for the World Cup in Brazil. It will be an amazing event and a big thing for our whole country. I know everyone in Brazil is really looking forward to it.

As for Australia having a World Cup - for sure, why not!?

@bradley2HC asks via Twitter: How did that water in the bottle that was thrown at you in Sydney taste? Funniest dude hahaha.

TC: It was beautiful, very refreshing.

@Micky_Bridges8 asks via Twitter: Ask Tiago who is the best chef and BBQ champ?

TC: I am! Bridgey was my assistant, but he did a good job.

Shaun Wheeler asks via email: What is it like playing with such an experienced footballer like Emile Heskey?

TC: It’s very good playing with a player like him. He’s very experienced, has played in World Cups and for big Clubs. He’s a humble guy and it’s unbelievable to have him around our team.

Ryan Jensen asks via email: What are you expecting when you play Wellington Phoenix this season, given what happened in pre-season?

TC: It will just be one more game for us and we will try to win like always.

Mitch McDonough asks via email: What was it like to play at Young Boys with Ljubo? How influential was Ljubo in getting you out to Australia? Would you enjoy seeing him play in Jets colours alongside you one day?

TC: It was a good time over there with Ljubo. Unfortunately we didn’t play together too much because Ljubo had a few injuries and there were some changes in coach before he decided to come back to Australia.

He had a big influence in me coming to Newcastle. He called me and asked if I was interested in playing in Australia and that is how I got in contact with the Jets.

He is a good footballer, a good guy and I wish him all the best. If I can see him on the pitch again it would be great.

Mitch McDonough asks via email: You had a run in preseason in midfield - do you prefer midfield or defender?

TC: I’m a defender originally so I think I am more comfortable in defence, but if Gary needs me to play in midfield one day, I’ll be able and I’ll be happy to help the team.

Courtney Parish asks via email: What is your favourite thing about the city of Newcastle?

TC: I like the weather and the people are very friendly. It’s an amazing city and it’s quiet and relaxed, but you also have everything here so there is a lot to do. The beaches are unbelievable too.

Paul Wright asks via email: How difficult is the trip to Perth? Did you ever have to travel that far while you were in Europe?

TC: In Europe when I played with Young Boys in the UEFA Cup we had to travel a long way like we did to Perth, maybe four or five hours. In Brazil we have big flights, from South to North it is like seven hours, so for me it’s not so much of a big problem because I am used to it.

toad
09-11-2012, 10:34 AM
"It was beautiful, very refreshing."

lolololol

sh10
09-11-2012, 11:57 AM
tiago is so newy

MFKS
09-11-2012, 12:04 PM
@MrGlass23 asks via Twitter: Congrats on your first A-League goal last weekend Tiago! Could you explain the celebration you did after you scored?

TC: I have a lot of friends in Brazil who go to parties and they dance like that. I promised them when I scored my first goal I would do that dance.

Must be some crazy ****s in Brazil if they go to parties and dance like that

Thomas477
09-11-2012, 02:02 PM
"It was beautiful, very refreshing."

lolololol

Love the bloke.

MFKS
12-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Blokes a legend. Needless yellow card and a kick arse dance routine at Parra Stadium after the game to the travelling support.

Feel the bloke needs his own parody song to encourage him to dance with everyone learning the moves to Dance along with him.

Suggestions something like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usO5mD4765k

Or maybe we could turn that PSY song you know the one which is quite Gypo into Tiago Style

WolfMan
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Or maybe we could turn that PSY song you know the one which is quite Gypo into Tiago Style

This comes anywhere near being part of matchdays, I'll bring a walkman and headphones to matches and listen to ABC commentary. AIDS of the highest order

MFKS
13-11-2012, 12:11 AM
This comes anywhere near being part of matchdays, I'll bring a walkman and headphones to matches and listen to ABC commentary. AIDS of the highest order

Totally agree that it is Aids. Just a suggestion I am throwing out there as the song is quite popular apparently at this point in time.(Member not sure as to why)

Was cringewaorthy when pre game at WSW the Ground announcer played it to fire the crowd up. Can fully understand the young kids cutting sick with it but there was grown men hooking into like Peppz collecting yellow cards

snake
13-11-2012, 09:32 AM
teh squadronz have more chance of recognising gangnam style than they would safety dance. sad but true.

q-money
13-11-2012, 10:04 AM
hyuna > psy

plague
13-11-2012, 01:27 PM

Seriously, this tangent needs to stop right ****ern now.

Back on topic lads: Tiago, so Newy.

militiamon
13-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Newy ledge.

Aiming for the big record of most cards in a season imo, I wish him luck with it.

hawk
13-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Tigz puts in the gaff so he doesn't get big money offers to move on. <3

MFKS
14-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Newy ledge.

Aiming for the big record of most cards in a season imo, I wish him luck with it.

4 yellows already and Round 2 with Manny Muscat is on Sunday. I will take anything over $1.01 that Tiago's getting suspended for the Heart game

MFKS
14-11-2012, 11:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7uanzZ-WJQ

Never forget Tiago - Fire Up Sunday

BodyNovo
14-11-2012, 12:10 PM
elbow punches so newy.

http://www.arrivefirstclass.com.au/wp-content/uploads/100_0416.jpg

q-money
16-11-2012, 12:07 PM
have modelled my futsal play on him, people always commenting on how good my elbow work is

poor old tangles (i think) copped one in the back of the head from me on saturday when i was trying to touch the great man