PDA

View Full Version : Stop taking it to the corner

militiamon
20-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Attention Jets:

Stop taking the ball to the corner to waste time. I'm all for time-wasting in general (Tiago <3), it's just that you guys utterly suck at doing this.

It has ruined at least 5 or 6 good goalscoring opportunities in the last couple of games alone, and we lose the ball about as fast as we would have if we'd ran at goal.

Oh and thanks for the win

pistolpete
20-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Well said. Couldn't agree more

Left Winger
20-10-2012, 09:45 PM
+1

Grimario
20-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Attention Jets:

Stop putting all 10 outfield players in the box when defending a corner. Just one person further up the pitch could have stopped what seemed like 300 balls back in to the box after clearing the previous corner.

pv4
20-10-2012, 09:46 PM
so basically you're putting Michael bridges out of a job in saying this.

2 goals up I have no issue with it. 1 goal up, I say try & score still - we're notoriously terrible for dealing with counter-attacks when it matters.

MFKS
20-10-2012, 09:48 PM
There was at least 2 occasions tonight where we had a 3 on 2 advantage and someone refused to get the ball into the box and instead went to the corner.Now Statistically that is a pretty rare event in the game to get a numerical advantage in the box. It also means our chances of scoring are greater so why the **** take it to the corner.

Am in total agreement and it is a Dis Grace

Grimario
20-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Deans OUT

MFKS
20-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Deans OUT

Not a better comment will be seen on the forum this week

militiamon
20-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Attention Jets:

Stop putting all 10 outfield players in the box when defending a corner. Just one person further up the pitch could have stopped what seemed like 300 balls back in to the box after clearing the previous corner.

Yep, this as well.

MFKS
20-10-2012, 10:05 PM
If we put 3 up front at a defensive corner the opponent will drag 4 back.
3 to man mark usually 1 extra to cover. Take out their keeper and the bloke taking the corner and that leaves 7 of us and our keeper to cover 5 of them.

This strategy works at keeping blokes out of our box and able to get on the end of corners and also provides an opportunity for counter attack. Not rocket science really

hawk
20-10-2012, 10:21 PM
take it to the corner or shove it up the crack just DONT concede in the last 10 ever. Amen 9

parksey
21-10-2012, 01:58 AM
yeah let's ditch a tried and tested time wasting technique because we didn't do it so well on one occasion.

Grimario
21-10-2012, 02:11 AM
yeah let's ditch a tried and tested time wasting technique because we didn't do it so well on one occasion.

Didn't work particularly well last week either, parksey...

pistolpete
21-10-2012, 09:31 AM

Let's ditch it because it is a bullshit way to play. Its as annoying as all the fouls in the last minute of a basketball game. By all means try and keep possession but don't just stand in the corner every time you get the ball. Its just shit

Hamma12
21-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Let's ditch it because it is a bullshit way to play. Its as annoying as all the fouls in the last minute of a basketball game. By all means try and keep possession but don't just stand in the corner every time you get the ball. Its just shit

Well said Pete....Hungover like all **** Thanks to militiamon for the lift from the tenzo

p.s that includes Porksey aswell

selassie
21-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Attention Jets:

i reckon this must be some new tactic gve learned from some euro prof who analysed the stats for defending a corner. even the gypos were putting everyone in their box to defend corners.

militiamon
21-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Well said Pete....Hungover like all **** Thanks to militiamon for the lift from the tenzo

p.s that includes Porksey aswell

Any time boiz.

pv4
21-10-2012, 10:59 AM
if we didn't do this, bridges would have no claim for doing anything good for us since coming back out of retirement. aka he would not have done Brisbane away last season

moses
21-10-2012, 11:00 AM
That was crazy against the coast last night. With 5mins remaining that time wasting bullpoop in the opposition corner shouldn't be on. And the short corner time wasting is bullshit as well.
Too many of our bloke watching Michael bridges do this at training etc i think.

stopper2
21-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Do it with 2 minutes to go not when there are 5-6 minutes of extra time!!!

q-money
21-10-2012, 11:30 AM
they are very shit at this, goodwin especially, looks like the biggest DC

Bremsstrahlung
26-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Bump.

Jeterpool
26-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Thought if this thread immediately when they started.

Agree. Went for it too early.

Also how did they get 4mins injury time second half!?

WolfMan
26-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I could see 3 mins popping up (3 x subs made at that time @ 30 seconds each) but 4 was a bit much

Grimario
26-10-2012, 11:10 PM
How many weeks are we going to be shit at it till you agree it is a bad idea FOR US? Not saying it is a bad idea in the grand scheme of football but we are just ****ing awful at it.

pistolpete
27-10-2012, 07:06 AM
How many weeks are we going to be shit at it till you agree it is a bad idea FOR US? Not saying it is a bad idea in the grand scheme of football but we are just ****ing awful at it.

Exactly. It has NEVER worked and just makes us look stupid

MFKS
27-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Hopefully we are setting someone up for a master stroke plan by the Egg. When we take it to the corner enough times teams will start to relax a bit when we do it again and once they back off we will spring the surprise that we were foxing and go for goal. May start working in our favour eventually

militiamon
27-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Deadset I am going to start booing if we keep doing this.

Parksey, what do you have to say for yourself?

pistolpete
27-10-2012, 08:48 PM

I was booing them last night. Actually, i may have been saying "Boo-urns" can't remember

parksey
28-10-2012, 02:33 PM
goes good

stopper2
28-10-2012, 02:57 PM

Parksey, what do you have to say for yourself?

That's not a bad option, I was actually thinking the same thing.
By all means keep the ball and just keep knocking it back and forth but going for the corner and just holding the ball there and trying to play for a throw-in or corner is just gutless. Does this club want to be renowned as a team who constantly takes the gutless option in injury time to avoid defeat???

Bremsstrahlung
28-10-2012, 03:07 PM
I dunno. If i was playing against Newcastle, I'd be thankful they take it to the corner. Means my team would get it back.

Whenever I used to take it to the corner, I jammed it between my foot at the corner flag. They'd either foul me, free kick-repeat. Corner-repeat. Or throw in. Even if its a goal kick it still wastes a bit of time. When we try to do it, we have it 5 metres from the goal line, and 2 metres from the touch line.

WolfMan
28-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure I agree entirely. Yes, they probably employed it a few minutes early this weekend, especially considering the allotted 4 mins of Added Time.

But at a glance - Times we have employed this tactic this season = 3. Wins this season = 3. I'm happy for them to do it, just maybe with 5 mins to go instead of 10.

selassie
29-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Good tactic. We are shit at it but.

Better than faking injury to waste time.

MFKS
29-10-2012, 12:00 PM
There is also a time and a place for it. When we get the ball in the attacking half with space and opportunity to go at opponents that is the time to attack and go for another goal. When the opponents defence is settled and the clock is running out then it is the time to go to corner and waste numerous seconds off the clock.

In the last 10 mins the other night we seen the farcial situation where we had a corner where the troops from the back come into the box for a corner. We then ignored them and went the short corner option hold the ball in the corner.
About 2 mins later we won another corner. Troops from the back didn't go forward and we hoofed it into the box with barely 1-2 blokes in there??

WHY??

At the moment we seem to be using this tactic completely the wrong way about

seldom
29-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Good tactic. We are shit at it but.

Better than faking injury to waste time.

True

Newieutd
29-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Should play for the draw and go to the corner flag from the 1st minute

Not enough flaggering IMO

q-money
29-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Should play for the draw and go to the corner flag from the 1st minute

Not enough flaggering IMO
right on

pv4
29-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I could see 3 mins popping up (3 x subs made at that time @ 30 seconds each) but 4 was a bit much

I think it's 15 seconds per sub, so that's 1.5mins with 6 subs, then 30 seconds per goal, so that's 3mins total. then you'd imagine theyd add at least 30s-1min for general good measure, so 4 mins doesn't sound that bad

Rocknerd
29-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Going to the corner is shit no matter what. Play like men or go and play all age 5's.

pussy's go to the corner!

parksey
29-10-2012, 09:19 PM
seems to be working pretty well for us so far this season.

Newieutd
30-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Going to the corner is shit no matter what. Play like men or go and play all age 5's.

pussy's go to the corner!

Pussy = Vagina
Vagina = Good
Pussy = Flaggering
Flaggering = Good

I agree - more flaggering!!!