PDA

View Full Version : baseball

toad
29-10-2012, 03:51 PM
yeeeeeeeeeeew! giants just won the world series!!

q-money
29-10-2012, 04:03 PM
they swept them right?

http://investigation.discovery.com/investigation/crime-countdowns/sports-crimes/images/3-balco.jpg

toad
29-10-2012, 05:43 PM
very funny :D we only had two drug cheats this year.

yeah 4-0.... bit of an anticlimax really!

parksey
29-10-2012, 10:24 PM
go the tigers

Superdylan
30-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Phoarr & its Hamma time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNmsawkgY0

militiamon
30-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Lacking in hammalanche

Superdylan
07-11-2012, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aesp8ViZbro Some more Hamma

boz-monaut
16-06-2013, 05:59 AM
British commenary of a baseball game, similar to listening to American commentary of a soccarball tie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lKY5fmDGVLs#!

militiamon
16-06-2013, 11:23 AM
lol, brill

Jeterpool
16-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Nice

q-money
22-06-2013, 06:20 PM
just got back from noo yawk, caught mets v cardinals and a yankees v dodgers game, was legit

cards are very good, execute perfectly - mets are ****en awful this year, gave away 7 unearned runs or something horrible, jeez

yankees dodgers game was great, don mattingly back at yankees stadium as manager of the dodgers, got a nice reception - donnie baseball doing the biz

highlight though was seeing mariano rivera in his last year, dude is a ****ing legend (y)

Blackmac79
20-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Big few nights with dodgers & diamond back last spring training games against team orstrayla.

Then the opening series. Only two games. For shame.

Superdylan
20-03-2014, 08:57 PM
The prices are an utter rort for these exhibition games. Cheapest seats left for Sunday are $259 in silver seating. Platinum seats going for $499.

Blackmac79
20-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Sunday isn't an exhibition. It's a ML game. Saturday/Sunday the first two games of the season.

Superdylan
20-03-2014, 09:04 PM
In a way they are exhibition games as they are introducing a foreign concept to Australia. Sure it's the first round of their season but in an attempt to attract new fans I don't see the point in jacking up the prices.

Seems like a money grubbing excercise. Anyone know how much games cost too attend in USA on average?

Blackmac79
20-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Don't really think it's "introducing a foreign concept" Australia has played baseball for a hell of a long time, just a minority sport.

And you can get to a game for less than $20us

hawk
20-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Cardiff Workers 4th grade executed well also, wowsers

furns
20-03-2014, 10:17 PM
In a way they are exhibition games as they are introducing a foreign concept to Australia. Sure it's the first round of their season but in an attempt to attract new fans I don't see the point in jacking up the prices.

Seems like a money grubbing excercise. Anyone know how much games cost too attend in USA on average?And do you have any idea how much it would have cost to bring both MLB franchises out here to play for games in the opening round of the MLB season? Airfares, accommodation and appearance fees alone would account for most of these prices. And how much it costing to convert the SCG to a baseball field and back again?
Same deal as with the EPL teams coming out here for friendlies, except the prices are higher as these games actually mean something.

MFKS
21-03-2014, 01:41 AM
except the prices are higher as these games actually mean something.

To who??

Very few in this country

I think the interest in this country for baseball is on par with the levels of interest of the 20-20 cricket comp in Bangladesh

What a faarked sport.

Intentionally repeatedly throw the ball wide of the batter so he can't hit it to walk him to 1st base. ****ing dog act.

Have a go you ****s

Whats even worse is the time it takes to play the game and that farking incessant wanky organ music.:blush:

Blackmac79
21-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Prices actually were reduced due to poor sales. Platinum was originally $799.

If it was decent teams I would have gone. Boston/Yankees/mets/Oakland/Texas.

But no-one in la gives a shit why would I? And Arizona....

WolfMan
21-03-2014, 08:08 AM
I'll be there Sunday. Prices were always going to be inflated, as per Blackmac's points.

Really looking forward to it, although I'll be catching some of my Mets games over in NY in September - even better (except they are awful and will probably lose every game I attend). Should be used to that I guess....

hawk
21-03-2014, 09:20 PM
and that farking incessant wanky organ music.:blush:

phking lol, luv the hammond

Grimario
21-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Any idea what the crowd figures have been like?

lquiquer
21-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Any idea what the crowd figures have been like?

looks very average tonight

Superdylan
21-03-2014, 11:19 PM
To who??

Very few in this country

I think the interest in this country for baseball is on par with the levels of interest of the 20-20 cricket comp in Bangladesh

What a faarked sport.

Intentionally repeatedly throw the ball wide of the batter so he can't hit it to walk him to 1st base. ****ing dog act.

Have a go you ****s

Whats even worse is the time it takes to play the game and that farking incessant wanky organ music.:blush:

Agree with most points you just said MFKS. I sometimes watch little bits of the baseball on one but only if my dad has the tv on already. My passion for baseball is very low and I'll never have the time to actively follow it like the nrl and a-league.

And yep organs belong at the church, it should be up to the fans too chant not commercial gimmicks by the club.

pv4
22-03-2014, 10:27 AM
And do you have any idea how much it would have cost to bring both MLB franchises out here to play for games in the opening round of the MLB season? Airfares, accommodation and appearance fees alone would account for most of these prices. And how much it costing to convert the SCG to a baseball field and back again?
Same deal as with the EPL teams coming out here for friendlies, except the prices are higher as these games actually mean something.

But in saying that, I'm sure it is the MLB that want/need the promotion of spreading the game to other countries. It's the same with NFL going to England. If you don't expand, you die (see: NSL). It may cost a lot to get teams to come out, but it also costs a lot in promotion/marketing and getting a league game out here is I assume a large help in expanding the game.

Wish I bothered to look into these games earlier, would have loved to get a cheap ticket to go watch.

q-money
22-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I'll be there Sunday. Prices were always going to be inflated, as per Blackmac's points.

Really looking forward to it, although I'll be catching some of my Mets games over in NY in September - even better (except they are awful and will probably lose every game I attend). Should be used to that I guess....
citi field is great, i've been a few times

mets fans are also great, probably hate their team as much as jets fans

q-money
22-03-2014, 11:36 AM
baseball is also great live, terrible on the telly

The Dunster
22-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Each team in MLB plays around 160 games per season. The average attendance to these games is around 30,000.
For each team that comes to more than 2 million people through the gates per season.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3973749/MLB_Attendance_1950-2013.png

It's not a sport. Baseball is a way of life.

GazFish35
22-03-2014, 02:27 PM
2million.
What's the us population?

MFKS
22-03-2014, 03:12 PM
But in saying that, I'm sure it is the MLB that want/need the promotion of spreading the game to other countries. It's the same with NFL going to England. If you don't expand, you die (see: NSL). It may cost a lot to get teams to come out, but it also costs a lot in promotion/marketing and getting a league game out here is I assume a large help in expanding the game.

Wish I bothered to look into these games earlier, would have loved to get a cheap ticket to go watch.

Can you enlighten us as to what these issues were that cost the NSL its survival in relation to a lack of expansion WLG??

By my counts they were constantly expanding every year into new markets and nothing ever stayed the same year to year
By my rough counts there would be what 40 or more clubs who have played/folded in the NSL

plague
22-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Hanshin Tigers (they play just out of Osaka). Dead set epic night, crowd was mental.
They are like the Cubs in MLB (rubbish, cursed etc).
Am with Q. Baseball is pretty much 2nd to football as far as atmosphere is concerned.

Edit: maybe Euro basketball is as we'll but I've never seen live. Crowds seem legit bonkers though.

plague
22-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Also: apparently it was $4million just to convert the field from cricket-baseball-cricket.

That's probably a good place to start when you're wondering about ticket prices SD.

plague
22-03-2014, 03:39 PM
2million.
What's the us population?

Innit aboot 360million?
That's one in 6 Americans going to a Baseball game each year.

Interesting to know EPL, AFL % etc.

SUPERNERDZ, ASSEMBLE!!!!!

MFKS
22-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Innit aboot 360million?
That's one in 6 Americans going to a Baseball game each year.

Interesting to know EPL, AFL % etc.

SUPERNERDZ, ASSEMBLE!!!!!

Tardball for all its failings though would have to be one of the best pound for pound at drawing crowds in relation to population

EPL isn't really a fair reflection as most Stadiums are way too small ie Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool could put more fans in if their grounds were say 100k capacity. Add in the fact that EPL is now also ridiculously overpriced and beyond the price range of the common man it is a little skewed

GazFish35
22-03-2014, 05:45 PM
So we need to develop an algorithm that accounts for stadium size, population of nation, average household income and ticket prices.

Grimario
03-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Someone explain baseball to me, please.

I've just won tickets to the ABL this weekend and short of knowing that there should be hot dogs on sale (and maybe but scratchers...), I know nothing about it.

pv4
03-12-2014, 12:17 PM

I've just won tickets to the ABL this weekend and short of knowing that there should be hot dogs on sale (and maybe but scratchers...), I know nothing about it.

Just cheer when someone socks a dinger.

Bremsstrahlung
03-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Really got into Baseball this Post-Season.
Watched a few really good Giants matches. Some absolutely epic close finishes. One game they were down by 1 run. Bases loaded. 3rd Ball, 2nd Strike. Next throw was gonna decide it, guy smashes a home run.Brutal.
Went to San Fran Giants stadium a few weeks ago, marvellous set up.

Jeterpool
03-12-2014, 12:29 PM

It takes a long time.

q-money
03-12-2014, 12:49 PM
gotta feel for KC, they thought they might do it

bumgarner (apart from having the best name in baseball) was leeeegit amazing in the post-season, and has been for the past few years

redwah
03-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Went to Yankees stadium a couple of years ago and got into it. Went earlier this year to Angels v Yankees in Anaheim and my young bloke wanted to go back for a second night instead of spending it at Disneyland. They really keep the crowd into it throughout the whole game. Crowd anouncers and big screen used to add to the experience. Not so sure how the aussie league will stack up but I would go back anytime I"m in the states.

Bremsstrahlung
03-12-2014, 01:01 PM
It takes a long time.

Went to an NFL game while i was over in USA. 60 Minutes of game time. We were mid way into the 3rd Quarter and it'd been 3+ Hours. We set aside 4 hours after the kick off thinking that'd be plenty...nope.

gotta feel for KC, they thought they might do it

bumgarner (apart from having the best name in baseball) was leeeegit amazing in the post-season, and has been for the past few years

Untouchable in the games he played. Pretty much won them the series. How they (pitchers) scratch their backs 10 years later in beyond me.

Bremsstrahlung
03-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Went to Yankees stadium a couple of years ago and got into it. Went earlier this year to Angels v Yankees in Anaheim and my young bloke wanted to go back for a second night instead of spending it at Disneyland. They really keep the crowd into it throughout the whole game. Crowd anouncers and big screen used to add to the experience. Not so sure how the aussie league will stack up but I would go back anytime I"m in the states.
Went to an NBA and NFL game while I was over there. (NHL teams were all out of town wherever we went). But i'll agree, the crowd and atmosphere over there is crazy. Granted, the commentator and big screens have to give prompts throughout, but everyone gets involved.
NBA was incredibly fun. Don't think it would work here though, unless we got a commentator without such a drone voice.

Grimario
17-01-2015, 12:08 AM
All in brawl at the Adelaide Bite game tonight. Great fun. Considering membership for next season.

hawk
29-10-2015, 04:39 PM
2-0

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Whippet_cookie.JPG

WolfMan
29-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Mets played their World Series a week early. Just happy to be playing in October to be honest

hawk
29-10-2015, 08:43 PM
imagine playing 162 games in a regular season, now step up for the playoffs boys