PDA

View Full Version : defensive frailties

belchardo
04-11-2012, 03:26 PM
we have the third highest goals conceded. we need to tighten up in the defence. average of 2 goals conceded each game isn't going to win us anything.

if we don't get a clean sheet next game we need to look at the defenders and start making some changes.

hawk
04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
We could just shore up the defence

militiamon
04-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a risky strategy hawk, I reckon we should just defend better.

boz-monaut
04-11-2012, 04:59 PM
clearly the best defencing strategy is to take it to the corners at the other end of the field

that way, when you defends you have all the field in which to do it from

Grimario
04-11-2012, 05:25 PM
I think defence is too small for deyard dat we are playing in.

seldom
04-11-2012, 06:08 PM
average of 2 goals conceded each game isn't going to win us anything.

except for the sydney games

Thomas477
04-11-2012, 06:28 PM
We haven't played the same defence two full games in a row yet. Once GvE gets his preffered back 4, they should play a lot better.

westjet
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
We haven't played the same defence two full games in a row yet. Once GvE gets his preffered back 4, they should play a lot better.

Agree with this, but my problem is having the same back 4 for a couple of games still wont stop tiago gifting other teams goals with his brain snaps?

Thomas477
04-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Agree with this, but my problems is having the same back 4 for a couple of games still wont stop tiago gifting other teams goals with his brain snaps?

True, but then we just worry about the one player, rather than the whole defensive line.

boz-monaut
04-11-2012, 07:42 PM
bring back Ljubo

seldom
04-11-2012, 07:49 PM
bring back Ljubo

He could play !

Muswellbrookian
04-11-2012, 09:12 PM
bring back Ljubo

This, x 1000.

The only problem being that GvE believes that Ljubo's presence in the dressing room automatically leads to "all-out war". Which is probably right. Would certainly tighten our defence up...yet, I think at the moment we have the much more important issue of how to get Joel G. back after his imminent departure from Shanghai (once he figures out what to do with that enormous farewell bouquet).

parksey
04-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Didn't we concede about a million goals in Ljubo's last season here?

Muswellbrookian
04-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Nope, 33 - which was the fourth-best defence in the league, even though we finished seventh. Our big problem that season was our inability to score: 29 goals in 30 games was the third-worst attack.

pv4
04-11-2012, 09:45 PM
in fairness to conceding that season, we had elrich playing in the backline

ljubo has been the best centre back the club has ever had, hands down. but Steve lustica doesn't even know where he is nowadays, so I have no idea whether to say its a good idea or not to get him back. I'd love it, but whether he's fit/keen is another thing.

tbh I've been super happy with tiago/Mitchell at centre back, I've been happy with solid & I've been happy with Neville. I see no rush to change the lineup - they just need more gametime together. 3/4 of the backline are new to the team.

if we end up getting a new cb for some reason, itll be jade north

pv4
04-11-2012, 09:47 PM
maybe the reason we're conceding is the likes of virgilli are giving the ball away so limply up high, when we're meant to be playing a high-up possession game, and putting our defense under pressure so much is always going to lead to conceding.

boz-monaut
04-11-2012, 09:55 PM
no, you're thinking of Kasey Wehrman

MFKS
04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I feel a lot of these issues are down to the Eggs philosophy rather than on personnel.

Watching many yoof games this winter where they try to play Eggs visionary way rather than the bastardised shit we see in the HAL I noticed a few things that this system causes.

Failure to man mark. A lot of the time our blokes are positioned to receive ball rather than sticking to a man nearby. E.g V Perth when Tarago had his brain fart and Neville who was looking for a pass is then out of position when the ball is coughed up. Not to mention when we are marking we ain't that tight

Turnover of ball in the back half of the field can lead to arse raping e.g what Victree tried doing to us but failed to succeed at coz their finishing was woeful. After a few games in the State League teams cottoned on to how to play the Jets Yoof. Sit back mark space let them have the ball and then try capitalising on their turnovers. Worked a treat in the back half of the season with many teams scoring easy goals

Historically under the Egg I don't think we have ever been that great defensively

Wooden Spoon year defo NO
Last Year Defo No
Even the Championship year although we didn't leak high quantities I think we only had 8/25 games as Clean Sheets. Thats not a great ratio for a title winning side.Importantly we had a clean sheet in the one that mattered!!! Even that year we rode our luck Jade North cleared off the line a few times and every **** seemed to miss penalties against Godvic

The pleasing thing is we don't seem to have much difficulty scoring and I am happy to be watching 3-2 wins and 3-2 losses than 1-0 either ways and not winning shit at the end of the year.

The Eggs philosophy has many flaws in it but until we develop better players with better technique at keeping the ball we are gonna continue to leak goals whilst we have the turnovers

Captain Obvious
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
we have the third highest goals conceded. we need to tighten up in the defence. average of 2 goals conceded each game isn't going to win us anything.

if we don't get a clean sheet next game we need to look at the defenders and start making some changes.

yo, waddup?

pv4
05-11-2012, 07:08 AM
basically what i took from mfkfc's post is: we need stu back

sh10
05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
eags, picken and the fridge plz

Newieutd
05-11-2012, 01:53 PM
clearly the best defencing strategy is to take it to the corners at the other end of the field

that way, when you defends you have all the field in which to do it from

agreed ...more flaggering is what is needed