PDA

View Full Version : Where's James Brown?

militiamon
09-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Remember (http://youtu.be/NkerRmxcSko?t=56s)

this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3cLP5ABJNw)

guy? (http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/brown-takes-out-nab-young-player-of-the-month/42326)

srsly, where he at?

militiamon
09-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Two theories:

1. He has turned to shit due to injury/attitude/carbon tax

2. He is being played out of position

Whatever the reason, he has shown less us less than Kaz Patafta, needs to be dropped ASAP.

09-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Never had it, overated and hugely inconsistant

A little above average in a shit side he was. not a great player in a good side.

Muswellbrookian
09-12-2012, 02:59 AM
As a general rule, all kids who have scored against us in the past aren't worth signing. Who's next, ffs? Brendan Gan?

BodyNovo
09-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Gary's new Jason Hoffman.

In all seriousness

I imagine he is a very good player, but there is only 2 possibilities of what is happening, his move to newy has turned him shit and his Indy life is much more important to attain than becoming a decent footballer, or Gary has brought him back way to early from injury and he is struggling big time with it.

09-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Perhaps he gets stage fright and drops his bundle playing in front of a home crowd of more than a 1000 people including canteen and security staff.

Will could be nudging that figure by the end of GVE's contract

Grimario
09-12-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8e9b2ON8s

stopper2
09-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Gary's new Jason Hoffman.

In all seriousness

I imagine he is a very good player, but there is only 2 possibilities of what is happening, his move to newy has turned him shit and his Indy life is much more important to attain than becoming a decent footballer, or Gary has brought him back way to early from injury and he is struggling big time with it.

I would say it's the latter, missed most of the pre-season and instead of gradually being brought back into the side once he regained his touch and confidence, GVE has thrust him into the starting lineup in the hope he can play his way back into form....just doesn't work like that. Meanwhile young Virgili who has proven to be more effective in the early part of the season starts on the bench every week now.

Grimario
09-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I would say it's the latter, missed most of the pre-season and instead of gradually being brought back into the side once he regained his touch and confidence, GVE has thrust him into the starting lineup in the hope he can play his way back into form....just doesn't work like that. Meanwhile young Virgili who has proven to be more effective in the early part of the season starts on the bench every week now.

Nah, that's a lie. He got 20 minutes in the yoof game against WSW before he was thrust into the starting line up. :gent:

Can you imagine having 7 months out injured or whatever the feck it has been and you come back to play 20 minutes of youth then are expected to be back at first team level straight after that? Don't care that "dropping him to reserves might ruin his confidence"... reckon playing like a steaming turd yet continually getting to play on will ruin him as a player more than a stint in the youth.

hawk
09-12-2012, 10:30 AM
but he was decent for the coast, unless someone set him up all of the time. fiik

plague
09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
He should play All Age D for Mayfield.
They have a team full of blokes with haircuts like his.

seldom
23-12-2012, 09:30 PM
where is he ? didn't play for yoof today I hear

WolfMan
24-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Think he might have aggravated his previous ankle injury. Not 100% sure though

militiamon
24-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Yeah, it's the ankle again based on what Gary was saying in the post-match press conference. He did hope he would be available again soon though.

The Dunster
24-12-2012, 11:57 AM
He's never looked right since the injury. Appears to be about ten yards slower and doesn't put himself on the line like he used to when challenging for the ball.

Playin him in Youth League is fine wrt maintaining or gaining fitness but confidence wise I think the gap between the two levels is just too much.

MFKS
24-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Reminds me a lot of Cankles.

Two moments a season on the highlight reel to disguise 30 games of being complete crap. Never was that impressed with him at Gold Coast coz I always felt he was the Coasts version of Marko Jesic. When we signed him I was a bit more wait and see rather than excited/enthused.

Be playing for one of our feeder teams in Sydney FC / WSW in the next couple of years if he don't get it together

militiamon
24-12-2012, 02:13 PM
^ This is my fear as well. Looking at the few goals that he did score, I can't see him doing the same thing here. Not in the same league as Halloran, Rojas etc.

parksey
24-12-2012, 06:41 PM
yeah well that's bullshit

seldom
25-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Last year I was lucky enough to sit in on a GCU training session. Remember 2 guys standing out as quality above the others. One was James Brown the other Zac Anderson. Zac is lucky to get 20 mins for the scum and Browny seems to be really struggling for us. He seems to have lost 2 yards of pace I assume through injury.I think he'll come good

hawk
26-12-2012, 12:24 PM
^ This is my fear as well. Looking at the few goals that he did score, I can't see him doing the same thing here. Not in the same league as Halloran, Rojas etc.

We could have had Hall. Who does the choosing?

seldom
26-12-2012, 11:52 PM
We could have had Hall. Who does the choosing?

Deans

Jeterpool
06-01-2013, 12:19 PM
So...he was back yesterday. Has received a fair bit of praise on Facebook it appears while Bridges and Zad are getting slammed.

I think they were watching a different game. Zad played well.

I don't know what it is with Brown. He had some flashes but it seemed when it got to him the tempo slowed and allowed Adelaide to catch up. I don't know how quick he was originally but he doesn't have blistering pace I thought he did.

Second half he had the chance the thread Taggart a few times and didn't. He held on and had a few too many touches which screwed up the play - seemed to want to do it all, have the glory (maybe) or just didn't see the run. Shame.

Don't agree with the calls from around Bay 58 to get him off - sure he was having a stinker and Bridges needed to come on but support him while he's out there. It's got to start messing with his head. Gaz had a bit of a word with him when he came off before he sat down because the jeers were pretty bad.

furns
06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
He is playing with zero confidence, hence playing at a slower pace and taking too many touches. GVE shouldnt have thrown him straight in at the deep end after such a lengthy injury layoff.

All those giving him the treatment saying he is terrible, I would agree that he is at the moment but if anyone bothered to attend preseason games would have seen he was a class above just about anyone else on the park. Give him time, get off his back, but GVE needs to play him smarter.

sammydog
06-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I got the impression in Bay 55 and surrounding bays, people weren't cheering because Brown was being subbed, people were cheering Bridgy for getting more than a 5 min cameo. The cheering had begun well before Browns number came up on the board.

I actually don't think Brown was as bad yesterday as he has been, hopefully now he is on the rise and we will see the best of him soon.

Tommyjet
06-01-2013, 01:38 PM
I was near the boxes in bay 56 and when before the substitution there were numerous calls to Gary to 'get him off' and then when the substitution was made there was cheering for bridgy and numerous calls saying 'about time you took him off Gary' and such as well as jeers and boos while brown was taking his seat.
My reply was to tell them to either support the whole team or **** off to the away bay.

NewcastleForLife
06-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah definitely got the vibe that a lot of the cheering for Bridgy warming up was because he's the obvious replacement for Brown. I'm fine with people having a talk about our players problems on here, but booing him off the field/cheering that he's been subbed is a bit harsh, way to kill his confidence.
Looked at times that he is still carrying that injury, he wasn't running comfortably and wasn't moving after passing the ball.

stopper2
06-01-2013, 04:04 PM
^^^
I just don't get the "love" for Bridgey. The way some people carry on about him you would think he is some club legend....which he is definitely not. His record of 11 goals for us in 53 appearances is nothing special either. Sure he has skill and some delightful touches and reads the game well but he's not exactly an excitement machine.
Once again it was the same old story when he came on yesterday, provided a bit of a spark but still no end result...i.e goal or assist.

GVE seems really determined for Brown to play that #10 role, even if he's still not quite 100% yet. Must be tough for a young bloke to have that expectation thrust on you in a new team and especially when the team as a whole is not performing. I just hope he comes through and proves all the doubters wrong.

namwob99
06-01-2013, 04:08 PM
^^^
I just don't get the "love" for Bridgey. The way some people carry on about him you would think he is some club legend....which he is definitely not. His record of 11 goals for us in 53 appearances is nothing special either. Sure he has skill and some delightful touches and reads the game well but he's not exactly an excitement machine.
Once again it was the same old story when he came on yesterday, provided a bit of a spark but still no end result...i.e goal or assist.

GVE seems really determined for Brown to play that #10 role, even if he's still not quite 100% yet. Must be tough for a young bloke to have that expectation thrust on you in a new team and especially when the team as a whole is not performing. I just hope he comes through and proves all the doubters wrong.

Agree 100%. With all above.

BodyNovo
06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
he is basically just so lethargic when playing since he joined us (probably because he isn't fit)

his touch is shit, he runs round like a headless chicken.

he stood out in a wooden spoon team.

jeremy brockie in hindsight would have been the better and cheaper option than brown.

06-01-2013, 06:06 PM

This pretty much sums it up for mine.

Tommyjet
06-01-2013, 06:32 PM
he is basically just so lethargic when playing since he joined us (probably because he isn't fit)

his touch is shit, he runs round like a headless chicken.

jeremy brockie in hindsight would have been the better and cheaper option than brown.

Brockie and brown are very different position-wise for us. I do agree we should of kept brockie but brown when fit and in form is what we need somewhere in the team, I'm sure gve will persist with him so I may need to take a knife to the next game and cull a few shit supporters lol, nah if he's picked next game I think I'll be tuning in nice and loud to Aaron kearney

My2BobsWorth
06-01-2013, 07:21 PM
^^^

Wrong
Bridgey is a club legend.

GazFish35
06-01-2013, 07:27 PM

And he's regressed from there. Now he's not standing out in a wooden spoon team.

Tommyjet
06-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Wrong

Should of just stayed retired, not up to it anymore other than running down time in the corner and pulling off a few tricks which is enough for the masses of fans in Newcastle who value tricky footwork over end product

stopper2
06-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Wrong
The word "club legend" shouldn't be so cheaply handed out, especially to one hasn't achieved anything with the club. I actually like Bridges but I think because he has played in the EPL and because he is English he is a crowd favourite....not for his exploits for this club.

pv4
06-01-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't 100% buy into the "stood out in shit team but is still shit" idea. traore stood out in the same team, and he has been the best left back of the league this season. whatever browns problem is - its with himself. he's dropped off massively. gve should have mfks'd him & never played him this season or in pre-season to avoid injury and too much media hype.

btw @ bridges at being a club legend - :lulz: was there meant to be a gent symbol next to that? apart from bringing Heskey here, what has he actually done? if by legend you mean he had wore the shirt before, then he is one.

Thomas477
06-01-2013, 10:58 PM
btw @ bridges at being a club legend - :lulz: was there meant to be a gent symbol next to that? apart from bringing Heskey here, what has he actually done? if by legend you mean he had wore the shirt before, then he is one.

I would disagree that he is a legend ATM, definitely a favourite and getting close to legend. The fact that he's a former captain of the club helps.

hawk
07-01-2013, 12:01 AM
bridges nowhere near legend

plague
07-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Wrong

Probably is,
but just not of our club.

parksey
07-01-2013, 12:27 AM
nah bridges is a great bloke

q-money
07-01-2013, 09:36 AM
bridges a club legend smh

he's a legend for doing nothing and getting paid for it, live that dream brah

Newieutd
07-01-2013, 10:07 AM
And he's regressed from there. Now he's not standing out in a wooden spoon team.

This!

cobra23
07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
So...he was back yesterday. Has received a fair bit of praise on Facebook it Don't agree with the calls from around Bay 58 to get him off - sure he was having a stinker and Bridges needed to come on but support him while he's out there. It's got to start messing with his head. Gaz had a bit of a word with him when he came off before he sat down because the jeers were pretty bad.

Dont Agree with this aswell,

People who do this SH!T have not played the game before or at a decent level wherere there is some kind of crowd.
Talk about kick a horse when his down....
For all you Dicks out there who did this lets see if you give him shit when his form and confidence is back,tearing new assholes in opposition defence in a few weeks time.
He is by far the player who can do this...

We all know he is going through a bad patch but everone has one...

q-money
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
can we just all agree he's not very good at the moment and should probably be riding the pine until such time that he improves his game, and that there are numerous players in the squad that haven't been afforded the same opportunity that young james brown has had

also cobra commander, he probably won't get jeered if he gets his form and confidence back, but he's had 17 weeks or whatever to do it and it's simply not there

get him back in da y00f

cobra23
07-01-2013, 10:47 AM
can we just all agree he's not very good at the moment and should probably be riding the pine until also cobra commander, he probably won't get jeered if he gets his form and confidence back, but he's had 17 weeks or whatever to do it and it's simply not there

get him back in da y00f

Agree with ya here,

But my whole comment is to all people who bag the shit out of players out of form, especially your home team..
its not good for the player.
Look at sammy G, for example, he is playing well now people are off his back..

Jeterpool
07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Agree he's out of form - that can't be denied.

I think the double experiment of throwing him back in the deep end hasn't worked. Some bench time and coming on with 20-30 minutes may be the way to improve his form.

Grimario
07-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Is it just me or does he look bigger than when he was at GCU?

cobra23
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
all this crap all comes down to GVE, he is the one picking players week in week out.

militiamon
12-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Brown impressed me tonight, huge improvement on his previous performances. Some great bits of footwork and awareness + setting up the goal.

Let's hope it continues.

seldom
12-01-2013, 11:06 PM
i

q-money
12-01-2013, 11:07 PM
still gave up some heinous posession but was much better, also looks heaps seedy all the time, that 'tache is disgusting, long may it continue

massive lulz that his contribution to the goal was something that did not involve him running

:lulz:

pv4
12-01-2013, 11:08 PM
he looks like he doesn't back himself pace-wise. the time he setup gruff in the first half for him to have the outside of 18 shot, the Brisbane defender caught up to brown so easily. although. he did some decent things tonight, he's noticeably playing scared.

my phone converts griff to gruff automatically, therefore I will now be calling Ryan griffiths "gruff", Adam "grifflet" and Joel "griff"

Tommyjet
13-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Thought he was outstanding tonight, he hassled their defence and partaalu forcing many turnovers and was integral in our many forays forward, back heel assist was class and almost scored with that header. Hope this upturn in form continues. Hard to pick out a weak link tonight.

Buddha
13-01-2013, 01:40 AM
I can pick out a weak link, gallaway. I noticed a ton of crosses that Brisbane had were down the left thru Halloran, who mind you is an absolute speed merchant, but still.

seldom
13-01-2013, 11:23 AM
I can pick out a weak link, gallaway. I noticed a ton of crosses that Brisbane had were down the left thru Halloran, who mind you is an absolute speed merchant, but still.

to be fair tho Halloran does this to most FBs

Tommyjet
13-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I thought Gallaway was very good, my weak link was bridges when he came on once again did a couple of fancy things to excite the crowd then proceeded to lose the ball. But overall after we subbed we started to lose control of the game. I'm a wheelhouse fan but I thought he should of waited a bit later to come on as zad and brilliante had control in the centre. To be honest not a zad fan at the start of the season but loving his play recently, personally I wouldn't rush wheelhouse straight in next week.

Buddha
13-01-2013, 01:24 PM
to be fair tho Halloran does this to most FBs
It's funny because he's not having the same impact as he did last season, must be the whole looking good in a ****ing awful cold toast team thing *cough brown cough*

MFKS
13-01-2013, 04:05 PM
It's funny because he's not having the same impact as he did last season, must be the whole looking good in a ****ing awful cold toast team thing *cough brown cough*

To be perfectly fair to Halloran looking like Mitch Nicholls doesn't help his cause. Everytime Nichols ****s up I am sure people keep blaming Halloran for it.

IMHO a bottle of hair dye of a different colour or a haircut to not look like Mitch Nichols will see his performances improve tenfold without any extra effort/touches on the park.

That also being said Roar coach could sort it out easily by dropping Nichols

stopper2
13-01-2013, 06:49 PM
It's probably fair to say that behind Heskey, Brown was GVE's priority signing for this season. Brown was always going to be an important cog in the side as soon as he regained fitness from his ankle injury. People who go on about GVE playing Bridges are just looking at a short term solution as he is nearing the end of his career. The signs are there that Brown is getting better and and the confidence is also getting back (that back heel for Ryu), which is good not only for the rest of the season....but beyond.

GazFish35
13-01-2013, 10:11 PM
His haircut is my major concern.