PDA

View Full Version : Naming of Western Stand

stopper2
31-12-2012, 12:50 PM
This has been in the media the last few days.
Thought i would introduce a Poll to actually gauge what NF Forum users are thinking who the Western Stand should be named after.
Craig Johnstone has been mentioned by Dillon and now Lord Mayor Jeff McCloy.
Personally I am leaning more towards Ray Baartz.

Thomas477
31-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I too am more in favor of Baartzy. He represented Australia close to 50 times and still lives in Newcastle, rather than the US.

EDIT: I suppose someone will ask where is Slobs?

The Dunster
31-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Con Constantine would be my choice. He got the club started and contributed in assembling the team that won the grand final. Not to mention donations made to the Knights when they were struggling financially.

Joel Griffiths - Most of us would have loved to see him finish his career as a Jet and of course have the western stand named after him. Unfortunately, the club didn't even offer him the opportunity of finishing his career as a Jet so it's totally unlikely.

Baartz played for Frank Lowy's Hakoah and was responsible for signing Jason Culina - so he's out.

Craig Johnstone played for Liverpool, was born in Sth Africa, Played u21 for England, and declined the offer to play for the socceroos - so he's out

plague
31-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Should be Kurt Fearnley.
Newy legend.

PC police will probs step in though so will go with Baartz/Salisbury stand.
She deserves as much recognition as anyone in our sport (plus she reps the Jaffas so she is awesome).
Everyone wins.
Deadset as much as I love Craig Johnston the bloke never rep'd Newy like those other two and now spends too much of his time fraternizing with Gypos.

I heard Van Egmond voted for the Gary Van Egmond stand.

plague
31-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Also, love the Con choice as well but no way that's happening.
At least get the great man a statue or something.

militiamon
31-12-2012, 02:07 PM
When did Craig Johnston's name become Craig Johnstone? Will probs need to spell it right before we get the sign made hey.

Also, the answer is Griff.

snake
31-12-2012, 03:38 PM
emile heskey memorial smoothie.stand

srsly, col curran or reg date. baartzy's lost it with the people, the other bloke is south african.

The Dunster
31-12-2012, 03:56 PM
When did Craig Johnston's name become Craig Johnstone?

When he declined the offer to play for Australia.

De-Champ
31-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Graham Jennings played for Australia 83 or so times.

pv4
31-12-2012, 04:19 PM
reg date

baartz said no to smeltz, Johnston said no to Australia - dead to me

GazFish35
31-12-2012, 05:06 PM
I really don't get the love in for Craig Johnson. Greatest ever player from hunter? No. Reg Date wins that one hads down.
Played for the biggest club in the world at the time? Fair enough.... What's that got to do with Newcastle?

Salisbury, baartz, col curran, Troy halpin, eags, eags' knee, Andy Roberts..... The list is endless of those who have one more in Newcastle football.

stopper2
31-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I really don't get the love in for Craig Johnson. Greatest ever player from hunter? No. Reg Date wins that one hads down.
Played for the biggest club in the world at the time? Fair enough.... What's that got to do with Newcastle?

Salisbury, baartz, col curran, Troy halpin, eags, eags' knee, Andy Roberts..... The list is endless of those who have one more in Newcastle football.

Andy Roberts isn't a bad option either....most capped player ever for Newcastle at National League level. Unofficially Jets #1 supporter since A-League began. I would rather him then Johnston anyday.

q-money
31-12-2012, 05:34 PM
reg date

GazFish35
31-12-2012, 06:10 PM
It's all pointless anyway.
Stadium is under state govt control, Grahame analsley will have final say.

It will be named after some RL referee from Newcastle, or Paul harragon

pistolpete
31-12-2012, 08:33 PM
It will be named after Paul harragon

Could paint the stand gold

MFKS
31-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Instead of naming it after someone who has been and gone and left their mark on the game lets get revolutionary with this idea.

Lets name it after a bloke who hasn't made a ripple yet.

Call it the Kale Bradbery Stand

In years too come people will think back about how much foresight we had to name it after a bloke who hadn't even made his debut for the club yet :whistling: :wacko:

Name it after him and make him live up to the HYPE!!

stopper2
31-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Instead of naming it after someone who has been and gone and left their mark on the game lets get revolutionary with this idea.

Lets name it after a bloke who hasn't made a ripple yet.

Call it the Kale Bradbery Stand

In years too come people will think back about how much foresight we had to name it after a bloke who hadn't even made his debut for the club yet :whistling: :wacko:

Name it after him and make him live up to the HYPE!!

The way GVE is recruiting young players from outside (Corey Brown is the latest) I wouldn't be surprised if we see the likes of Bradbery and Hoole end up playing for rival clubs.

stopper2
31-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Con Constantine would be my choice. He got the club started and contributed in assembling the team that won the grand final. Not to mention donations made to the Knights when they were struggling financially.

Joel Griffiths - Most of us would have loved to see him finish his career as a Jet and of course have the western stand named after him. Unfortunately, the club didn't even offer him the opportunity of finishing his career as a Jet so it's totally unlikely.

Baartz played for Frank Lowy's Hakoah and was responsible for signing Jason Culina - so he's out.

Craig Johnstone played for Liverpool, was born in Sth Africa, Played u21 for England, and declined the offer to play for the socceroos - so he's out

How quick people seem to conveniently forget that Joel was offered the marquee position just prior to season 5 (correct me if I'm wrong) but chose to take up the big money in China. Now the club is to blame for supposedly not offering him "the opportunity of finishing his career as a Jet". If he had stayed he would barring injury be the Jets most capped player and easily be the highest goal scorer ever for a Newcastle team in the NSL/HAL with over 100 goals by now.....he would truly deserve to have the stand named in his honour.

MFKS
31-12-2012, 10:17 PM
The way GVE is recruiting young players from outside (Corey Brown is the latest) I wouldn't be surprised if we see the likes of Bradbery and Hoole end up playing for rival clubs.

To be perfectly fair to GVE other than Chilli Peppz Bradbery and Hoole who in the yoof team that is local would you have step up at the moment??

The reality is that the NNSW program has been severely letting top level football down in Newy for years and years. Hopefully the Emerging Jets program will go someway to rectifying this where the talent coming through it in time will be GOOD ENOUGH and NEWY BORN & BRED.

Poor Kale is always gonna be up against it getting a gig in the first team when we go out and sign blokes like Heskey. Just have a look at how much Heskey's arrival has stunted opportunity for Taggart!! Kid keeps banging them away in the NYL I am pretty certain he will get a run this season even if in a bit part cameo role in the HAL side. Another solid year banging 20+ away in the NBN League and he will be up there with Taggz in the pecking order. Due to his size needs to work on a few aspects of his game to make up for the fact physically he won't make much of an impact playing at the pointy end of the Front 3 away from goal. Get him the ball in and around the box though and he finds the net. That chance Taggz blew the other night V Victree in the last couple of mins where Coe saved the shot I would back Kale to be putting that away and us to have got a draw. Kid knows where the net is. That is a skill that can't be coached and is worth a goldmine

Hooley on the other hand needs to learn to play his position a bit more. Talented yes. Out of position a lot YES. Couple that with his lack of discipline at times where he collects yellow cards for doing stupid stuff and the issue lies with him. Fix his short comings and he will be in the team. Neville ain't exactly keeping him out on form.

Fully expect these 2 to be put on the Yoof contracts the likes of Chilli Galloway Pepper have been on in recent years

Bremsstrahlung
01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Agree with sentiments re: Kale. Quality player. Remember playing against him when he was at Magic. Practically, stands still, does some trickery, next minute he's got space, rips a shot, top corner. And considering his size, he can hit a ball. Just hope he is managed appropriately, otherwise he won't reach his potential.

As far as the Stadium name... I agree with Gary, it'll 99% be named after a Rugby League player. Whether we like it or not, the Knights success in 97 and 01 overshadows our premiership. Knights have played their games at Hunter Stadium much longer than we have. I can't see them naming the new 'fancy', main stand after a sokkah player. The people making the final decisions will most likely be egg ball fans. However, if the main stand was named the Andrew Johns, it may have been a possibility of getting the 'old' stand getting a football associated name.

Realistically, I think RL will get to name the two stands, and we will get to name the ends. Too much politics.

Regardless, I wouldn't be opposed to Baartz, Salisbury, Roberts or Date.
I think Johnston is out, as others have said, because he declined to play for Aus. Granted it was a different era and playing for Australia, opposed to England was seen almost as prestigious as making the Equatorial Guinea Olympic swim team.
I don't think this should be taken lightly though. Making hasty decisions to name a stand. Johns was one of the world's best RL players ever. I don't think we can say we've even produced Australia's best footballer, give it some time.

ForeverRed
01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
why do we have a grandstand named after a drug user, we might as well call it the Renae Lawrence stand (local girl) as it obviously stands for sweet FA

Portillo
01-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Heskey.

hawk
01-01-2013, 07:24 PM
why do we have a grandstand named after a drug user, we might as well call it the Renae Lawrence stand (local girl) as it obviously stands for sweet FA

lozl
Couldnt give 2 shakes what it's called. Whole afair is so ghey. go with Pork hunt stand

seldom
01-01-2013, 07:51 PM
johnston,baartz,date ?....I think we're forgetting The Snood...yep Snood stand for me

demon
02-01-2013, 01:31 PM
The more names that get thrown up (serious ones that is) the more thought needs to be put into it.

Reg Date - history speaks for itself as a player but outside of true local football tragics and Wallsend his name isn't recognised so I couldn't see that one getting up.

RB - well a man of talent and well known locally but perhaps his more recent roles have made him a step to close and a little political a choice.

CJ - I understand the comments but is still the public name for football locally and was a poster on many a local wall of young people in his day.

Salisbury - For more than one reason a real leader in the game from when she was at the Jaffas till at the Jets W-League. Known to people also.

I actually founf the more I thought the less inclined I was to name the grand stand anything...... I think I would rather see (for a number of sports) Honour Boards or Plaques placed around both stands main walkways of those players.

Lets see a photo og CJ in KB kit with a paragraph or two about his career. RB in an Aus shirt, Cheryl in one of her many World Cup games etc.... and then same with the Knights and then look outside the field to Kurt, Mark Richards etc.

sammydog
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I actually founf the more I thought the less inclined I was to name the grand stand anything...... I think I would rather see (for a number of sports) Honour Boards or Plaques placed around both stands main walkways of those players.

Lets see a photo og CJ in KB kit with a paragraph or two about his career. RB in an Aus shirt, Cheryl in one of her many World Cup games etc.... and then same with the Knights and then look outside the field to Kurt, Mark Richards etc.

Irrespective of what name (if any gets picked) this is a great idea. Might actually liven up the walkways inside the stands.

Add a players name to the Bay numbers (just to confuse people), and have the photos displayed at the respective bay entrances.

Football is us
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Reg Date. If people don't recognise the name/ what it means, they should find out. He also played football when the game was seriuosly attacking.

plague
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Further to Demons idea, Arsenals stadium has a similar thing all around the outside if their stadium. Big panels dedicated to individual players and their achievements. As a non Arsenal fan i found myself doing the whole lap reading them all (except Martin Keown, i spat on that one).it was a great way to learn about their history.
Just copy their idea I reckon. Honour heaps of people from all codes.

Thomas477
02-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Further to Demons idea, Arsenals stadium has a similar thing all around the outside if their stadium. Big panels dedicated to individual players and their achievements. As a non Arsenal fan i found myself doing the whole lap reading them all (except Martin Keown, i spat on that one).it was a great way to learn about their history.
Just copy their idea I reckon. Honour heaps of people from all codes.

Chelsea have something similar at Stamford Bridge. They have players like Cech, Zico, Lampard and Terry.

parksey
02-01-2013, 06:02 PM
matty johns

GazFish35
02-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Taylor regan
Reg regan
Reg date

The circle turns

parksey
02-01-2013, 06:25 PM
butch hayes

GazFish35
02-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Nathan Green

pv4
02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Nathan Green

he's such a top bloke, and a pretty decent footballer too.

probably about 5-7 years ago, he went through a bit of a form slump on all the US (etc) opens he was competing in so came home for a few months to get his zen back. his bro played 1st at awaba in state league with us, so nathan put his boots on and played about 5 games of reserves at right back. his fitness wasn't great, but he was incredibly sound at right back. with more fitness work i daresay he could have cracked state league 1st grade.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ibewro.jpg

cobra23
03-01-2013, 09:38 AM

+ 1 for Renae Lawrence stand.

My2BobsWorth
03-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Jonno for me, he's the reason I became a Liverpool supporter. Or it could be called the Kewell stand and the other one would be the unKewell stand.

GazFish35
03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Jonno for me, he's the reason I became a Liverpool supporter.

So name a stand at Anfield after him. I genuinely don't get this argument for him to be given such an honour.

in all seriousness besides playing a hand full of games for KB what has he done for football in the hunter? I also don't buy into the "he chose not to play for Australia" argument some hold against the bloke, times were different then. I just can't help but think there are many more who have one more for the game in newy than he has.

q-money
03-01-2013, 03:46 PM
but he invented the predator m8

My2BobsWorth
03-01-2013, 04:52 PM
As for Jonno not wanting to play for his country, the interview Foz did with him at the World Cup, he said he approached Soccer Australia or whatever it was, and offered his services, and they told him to **** off. When they later approached him to play, he told them the same thing.

toad
03-01-2013, 05:07 PM
auntie cheryl or reg date imo

Beeen
03-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Jen Hawkins

the_butcher
03-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Andy Roberts & Mark Wilson stands

De-Champ
03-01-2013, 07:54 PM
The weston stand in honour of the bears

Superdylan
03-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Hamma stand

seldom
03-01-2013, 10:05 PM
The Pasha Bulker Stand

northern_swan
03-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Cheryl's Date stand?

seldom
03-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Cheryl's Date stand?

Corporate Box ?

GazFish35
03-01-2013, 10:40 PM
TheGVEdoesntunder

q-money
03-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Cheryl's Date stand?

Corporate Box ?

http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/b0/b0f36b5e_oh_gif.gif

parksey
03-01-2013, 11:18 PM
robbie o'davis stand

pv4
04-01-2013, 06:28 AM
but he invented the predator m8

and da pig boot (Y)

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00156/NS1853B_156705a.jpg

http://cdn.fourfourtwo.com/contentimages/interviews/CJ-Pig-Finger2.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2crmzj9.png

lol @ the last one - craig johnston doing aliensdude.jpg pose (Y)

WolfMan
04-01-2013, 08:08 AM
TheGVEdoesntunder

Bravo

My2BobsWorth
04-01-2013, 09:28 AM
TheGVEdoesntunder

I think this might get it