PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bridges for Jets next Coach?

shagga
08-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Thoughts?

goaliepersempre
08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
will be not in the starting lineup for sure after this thread

pv4
08-01-2013, 02:17 PM
my initial thoughts - even aloisi had a season or two at the heart youth. bridges has no experience afaik. give him a go at state league level, see how he goes, and make him actually work his way up to a first team coaching gig. the hal's track record of hiring coaches with barely any credentials is embarassing.

belchardo
08-01-2013, 02:36 PM
my initial thoughts - even aloisi had a season or two at the heart youth. bridges has no experience afaik. give him a go at state league level, see how he goes, and make him actually work his way up to a first team coaching gig. the hal's track record of hiring coaches with barely any credentials is embarassing.

+1

Blackmac79
08-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Rather him put in the hard yards ala Corica.

seldom
08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
maybe do his apprenticeship under deans 1st :gent:

sammydog
08-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Long term it would be great, but he needs to get some experience and thereis no chance GVE would have him as assistant.

plague
08-01-2013, 03:07 PM
You would have to say after the success of WSW that Ante Milicic (sry bout speeling) will be the next long term assistant poached by another club.

stopper2
08-01-2013, 03:59 PM
You would have to say after the success of WSW that Ante Milicic (sry bout speeling) will be the next long term assistant poached by another club.
Would have to agree.
Ante was involved with Heart from the beginning and spent 2 seasons under Van Schipt.
Moved to WSW to work with Poppa and build that club from scratch.
Prior to Heart he was coaching Sydney United in the State League and also been involved with Young Socceroo squads.
I think GVE deserves to see out the season but if things don't look like getting better for next season, I reckon Ante would be the man....would be ready to take on the head coaching role be it this club or somewhere else in the HAL.
With Bridgey, I don't think it works when a player goes from being one of the boys to being the head coach....too big a risk.

Thomas477
08-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Would love to have him manage us one day, but I would want him to have gone through a solid apprenticeship.

As a coach, we should keep him.

q-money
08-01-2013, 05:04 PM
the fuk has this guy done, for real

My2BobsWorth
08-01-2013, 05:18 PM

He has played at world class level, has been under some of the best managers in Europe, this is A league, we need his experience.

hauss
08-01-2013, 05:35 PM

I'd certainly give him a go if he earned his coaching credentials in a legitimate way and proved he could actually coach a team. He at least seems to have some ball skills that he could teach the younger kids.

This reminds me of the way people bang on about Okon, who was a great player and whos done all the right courses but who I think doesn't have the mentality to be a coach. A relation of mine witnessed Okon going mental after a tackle during an over 35s game in Sydney and got sent off. Here is a guy who's training the youth of our country. :blush:

Although, maybe being a jerk is a pre-requisite for coaching.

boz-monaut
08-01-2013, 05:53 PM
works for Graham Arnold

pv4
08-01-2013, 06:35 PM
and gve

anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing gve play o/35s knows exactly how he's like

Zico
08-01-2013, 06:57 PM
I'd certainly give him a go if he earned his coaching credentials in a legitimate way and proved he could actually coach a team. He at least seems to have some ball skills that he could teach the younger kids.

This reminds me of the way people bang on about Okon, who was a great player and whos done all the right courses but who I think doesn't have the mentality to be a coach. A relation of mine witnessed Okon going mental after a tackle during an over 35s game in Sydney and got sent off. Here is a guy who's training the youth of our country. :blush:

Although, maybe being a jerk is a pre-requisite for coaching.
Are you GVE? :) We have all heard GVE's thoughts on Okon before and this sounds like it's straight out of his mouth.

08-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Could not be any worse than the jerk we have now. Okon not the only one to have brain farts. Pubic head has a thing for turning plastic chairs into low flying projectiles.

scozzygt
08-01-2013, 08:57 PM
FIFA badge for coaching might be an obstacle?
Don't know if he has?

scozzygt
08-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Would love to have him manage us one day, but I would want him to have gone through a solid apprenticeship.

As a coach, we should keep him.

Fuk me,u guys on here?
Why do I ?
Awww FUK OFF!!

My2BobsWorth
08-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Not the badge it's the respect. Do you respect the coach???? Fast track him like Kosi.

Blackmac79
08-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I am with Q I don't get why there is so much bridges love.

Done nothing for the club.

My2BobsWorth
08-01-2013, 10:33 PM
You and Q don't get it, that's it.

Blackmac79
08-01-2013, 10:37 PM

Explain it then mate. What has bridges done?

pv4
08-01-2013, 10:37 PM

ever since bridges came back from retirement, every time he comes on as a sub & a large amount of the crowd go wild I genuinely liken it to in under 7s when all the parents scream & clap when a kid kicks it big.

I've been a big non-fan of bridges since he returned for retirement, due to us "being ambitious" yet signing a crocked old player, for wasting a visa spot & for wasting part of the salary cap. I'm glad others are thinking along with me now.

that's just my 2 bobs worth.

Blackmac79
08-01-2013, 10:42 PM
ever since bridges came back from retirement, every time he comes on as a sub & a large amount of the crowd go wild I genuinely liken it to in under 7s when all the parents scream & clap when a kid kicks it big.

I've been a big non-fan of bridges since he returned for retirement, due to us "being ambitious" yet signing a crocked old player, for wasting a visa spot & for wasting part of the salary cap. I'm glad others are thinking along with me now.

that's just my 2 bobs worth.

Quoted for my thoughts.

My2BobsWorth
08-01-2013, 10:47 PM
You and me may have different thoughts, but the kids are always right. You can quote me on that. And I mean everything.

pv4
08-01-2013, 10:49 PM
I think you may have misinterpreted the metaphor, but pool story bro

My2BobsWorth
08-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Damn that was quick, I was going to edit some of it because of copious red wine after massive beer intake but too late now.

northern_swan
08-01-2013, 11:10 PM
I'd sign Bridges over Joel Griffiths any day of the week

lquiquer
08-01-2013, 11:17 PM

Northen_swan is starting a riot!!!... Lol.... MFKS where r u?

lquiquer
08-01-2013, 11:18 PM
^Northern_swan... Sorry

My2BobsWorth
08-01-2013, 11:29 PM

Me too, legend:grin:

q-money
08-01-2013, 11:55 PM
pool story ffs

Chickenbuster
09-01-2013, 12:15 AM
What happened to Bridges Divino tapas bar in Darby St? It's now called Saywers .......... is it still his?

If not, there might be a new career move already in the pipeline ...

My2BobsWorth
09-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Is there a special on pool stories this week?

parksey
09-01-2013, 01:03 AM
i think people like bridges because he has shown a clear passion for the club and the city of newcastle. when he was fit he was a good player for us too.

seldom
09-01-2013, 02:39 AM
even if he was a legend of the club...what's this got to do with coaching and more importantly coaching successfully ?

Newieutd
09-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Bridges will be dropped and never play a game now - thanks f*ckwits for suggesting him as a our coach...

pv4
09-01-2013, 10:13 AM
gallaway should be bridges assistant

Jeterpool
09-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Maybe Deans could plan a coup?

Bon
09-01-2013, 10:38 AM
what's this got to do with coaching and more importantly coaching successfully ?

Come on Seldom.. You should know better than trying to push a derailed train back onto the tracks..

MFKS
09-01-2013, 12:20 PM
I am with Q Man and Blackmac on this one.

Where is the basis of the logic that Bridges would make a good manager/coach??

Just because he played in the EPL doesn't mean he would cut it in the role of manager.

I for one dread to see how we would play under Bridges when we make one fantastic trick move out of 4 and then lose possession on the other 3.

As for him playing at present I with PV4. Bridges is a waste of an import/ waste of a squad place / only good for cameos and to come on for 5 mins to go and take the piss.

As for that dickhead who said he would sign Bridges over Lord Griffo.

FFS pal take some medication and then lie down and sleep it off. Dumbest shit I have ever heard

09-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Would seem GVE the bloody idiot has a talent for wasting visa spots ie Tiago Ribs

MFKS
09-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Tiago was signed under Bwankos watch.

Tiago isn't a GVE signing and from all reports GVE tried ever so hard to flog Tiago off pre season but failed to get rid of a contracted player and as a result we are stuck with him

plague
09-01-2013, 05:35 PM
As for that dickhead who said he would sign Bridges over Lord Griffo.

FFS pal take some medication and then lie down and sleep it off. Dumbest shit I have ever heard

You should head over to the cricket thread then.

Dude is all kinds of crazy.

hawk
09-01-2013, 05:41 PM

sack both. griffo has been stripped of lordship and didnt score gf goal and ....

09-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Tiago was signed under Bwankos watch.

Tiago isn't a GVE signing and from all reports GVE tried ever so hard to flog Tiago off pre season but failed to get rid of a contracted player and as a result we are stuck with him

I am aware when Tiago was signed, my point was pubic head has made an art form of wasting visa players. Tiago is a better proposition than Mitchell could ever be yet got/ gets brushed even though Mitchell put in shockers time and time again. As for Ribs he was signed by the goose hence a waste of a spot if the egg can cite lazy trainer and so forth for non selection. I can recall all the brew ha when Ribs was signed and all the crap that came out off the eggs mouth about how he was answer. GVE's record with visa players is about as good as my luck with lotto numbers hence i am still working for a living.

pv4
31-01-2013, 10:17 AM
thought i'd not continue in the wellington match thread, so am continuing my bridges rant here.

had a look at some stats for bridges this season. i looked at distribution-only, didn't take into account successful/unsuccessful dribbles.

Adelaide: 10 successful passes (no key passes), 2 unsuccessful
Sydney: 3 successful passes (no key passes), 2 unsuccessful
Victory: 1 successful passes (1 key pass), 0 unsuccessful
Wellington: 2 successful passes (no key passes), 2 unsuccessful
Mariners: 3 successful passes (1 key pass), 2 unsuccessful
Adelaide: 8 successful passes (1 key pass), 5 unsuccessful
Brisbane: 0 successful passes (no key passes), 1 unsuccessful

Total: 27 successful passes (3 key passes), 14 unsuccessful.

i really wouldn't say that's an "amazing" distribution record, regardless of how much time he was given. more than half his passes go to the opposition, and 1in9 of his successful passes, or 1in14 of his attempted passes, are considered a key pass.

hauss
31-01-2013, 11:15 AM
What do you consider a good record for an attacking player? Surely an attacking player has a poorer pass completion record because they are trying riskier things in a tightly guarded area. How many "key" passes is expected of a player that only plays 5 minutes here or there.

I don't think your stats prove anything other than he's not as bad as you claim.

And by your stats, hasn't he made 41 passes (27 successful and 14 unsuccessful), so his pass completion is 66% ie. a third of his passes went to the opposition, not "more that half". Or do you include his unsuccessful passes in his successful tally?

Why don't you add how much time he spent on the field and how much time he wound down by the corner flag :wink:

FaroeMassive
31-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Bridges is the best No.10 we have, and has the best feet and head in the squad. His relatively low pass completion is attributed to the fact that the poor bastard only gets 10 minutes here and there, so when he does get game time, he tries every risky/difficult pass in the book in an attempt to have a meanignful influence on the game, and earn himself a start. The bloke comes on, finds space in advanced positions and gets on the ball more than any other midfielder we have, yet he is constantly overlooked.

I agree that he does take the wrong option at times, however this is only because of the situation he finds himself in.

The crowd cheers when he comes on, not because they are idiots but because they want to see some excitment and creativity in the game, and they know Bridges generally provides. No other player apart from Virgili and Goodwin (and sparignly at that) provide as much entertainment as Bridges.

Personally I think the fact that you question Bridges pass completion stats, and then fap over Zadkovich every week, who is quite frankly one of the worst midfielders in the league with regards to pass completion, says it all in terms of how accurate your opinion is PV4!

Jetmaster
31-01-2013, 11:53 AM
You can't look into just bare statistics.

I've heard idiots say Heskey is a flop because he can't score outside the 6 yard box !

Look - I doubt Bridgey will score a gig next season, but he is available now and highly experienced, let his career run its course. He has contributed greatly to this club over the last few years, particularly during two great ownership crises.

Let it be....

MFKS
31-01-2013, 12:30 PM
FFS Some people would think this bloke was a superstar of the League when he was fit.

Was a disappointment for Sydney Fc when he first come out here and had 1 half decent season with us. Not superstar status but a solid season with a few goals.Since then a pile of injuries and non selections and 15 minute cameos.

The only one being sold down the river is us. Wasting a foreigner spot on this bloke and paying him a wage to be a pro footballer. Name me one other club in the League that would PAY him to be on their books???

Jesic has made a positive contribution to our HAL side with form/goals since this bloke last made a positive impact for us.

q-money
31-01-2013, 01:20 PM
petrovski > bridges

snake
31-01-2013, 01:27 PM
thought i'd not continue in the wellington match thread, so am continuing my bridges rant here.

had a look at some stats for bridges this season. i looked at distribution-only, didn't take into account successful/unsuccessful dribbles.

Adelaide: 10 successful passes (no key passes), 2 unsuccessful
Sydney: 3 successful passes (no key passes), 2 unsuccessful
Victory: 1 successful passes (1 key pass), 0 unsuccessful
Wellington: 2 successful passes (no key passes), 2 unsuccessful
Mariners: 3 successful passes (1 key pass), 2 unsuccessful
Adelaide: 8 successful passes (1 key pass), 5 unsuccessful
Brisbane: 0 successful passes (no key passes), 1 unsuccessful

Total: 27 successful passes (3 key passes), 14 unsuccessful.

i really wouldn't say that's an "amazing" distribution record, regardless of how much time he was given. more than half his passes go to the opposition, and 1in9 of his successful passes, or 1in14 of his attempted passes, are considered a key pass.

does not compute

The Dunster
31-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Coach needs to be the boss rather than one of the lads. I doubt the players see Bridges as anything other than a team mate.

He needs to maybe coach at a youth team or even W-League first to earn his stripes.

sammydog
31-01-2013, 02:14 PM
He needs to maybe coach at a youth team or even W-League first to earn his stripes.

Completely agree, I rate him as a player, but putting him straight in as a first team manager could only end badly.

Like most others, he would need to work his way up to it.

My2BobsWorth
31-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Geez, another thread ends up being a Bridgey thread. Sheesh.

hawk
31-01-2013, 05:03 PM
The crowd cheers when he comes on, not because they are idiots but because they want to see some excitment and creativity in the game, and they know Bridges generally provides. No other player apart from Virgili and Goodwin (and sparignly at that) provide as much entertainment as Bridges.

Cheers are for being a top bloke. If you want excitment stick with goody, he's tha best, hesk and virg also up there. Zads has a huge workrate

howardyou
31-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Geez, another thread ends up being a Bridgey thread. Sheesh.

Did you read the title before posting?

My2BobsWorth
31-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I was just being an idiot.

Football is us
31-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Bridges is the best No.10 we have, and has the best feet and head in the squad. His relatively low pass completion is attributed to the fact that the poor bastard only gets 10 minutes here and there, so when he does get game time, he tries every risky/difficult pass in the book in an attempt to have a meanignful influence on the game, and earn himself a start. The bloke comes on, finds space in advanced positions and gets on the ball more than any other midfielder we have, yet he is constantly overlooked.

I agree that he does take the wrong option at times, however this is only because of the situation he finds himself in.

Personally I think the fact that you question Bridges pass completion stats, and then fap over Zadkovich every week, who is quite frankly one of the worst midfielders in the league with regards to pass completion, says it all in terms of how accurate your opinion is PV4!

Well said. But I must agree with others that as a manager, he would have to serve an 'apprenticeship' and see how he goes.. skillful players don't necessarily make skillful/good managers.

stopper2
31-01-2013, 06:34 PM
petrovski > bridges
Totally agree.
Sasho's last season with us he top-scored as a super-sub. He effectively changed the outcome of some games by scoring a goal or by winning a penalty. When did Bridges both this season and last do something that effectively changed the outcome of a game???

My2BobsWorth
31-01-2013, 07:05 PM
How can you compare, Sasho was a goal sneak.

plague
31-01-2013, 07:10 PM
How can you compare, Sasho was a goal sneak.

True, cause no one can work out what the **** Bridges is doing to be able to compare him to anything.

Thomas477
31-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Bridges may not have the ball distribution skillz of Xavi, but in comparison to Brown, how does he go?

sh10
02-02-2013, 02:19 AM
There was a classic EPL game on Fox tonight - 1999/2000 Leeds v Everton, 4-4 draw. Sweet volley goal from Bridges and a few other nice passes. It was 13 years ago tho...

WolfMan
02-02-2013, 08:17 AM
^^^

With the signings GVE has seemingly made from watching DVD's, surely throwing this match on his desk could get Bridges on the park??

Buddha
02-02-2013, 02:51 PM
does not compute
Half of 27 is 13.5 snake. 14 is more than half

Disinterested Bystander
02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Half of 27 is 13.5 snake. 14 is more than half
Half of 41 is 20.5, 14 is less than half

snake
02-02-2013, 03:32 PM
geez buddz

didn't you learn any maths other than muliples of triple 20?

Buddha
02-02-2013, 08:51 PM
geez buddz

didn't you learn any maths other than muliples of triple 20?

Can only count what is on the darts board

Not enough mention of Phil Taylor in this thread

Buddha
02-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Also like to mention how poor Bridges was when he came on.

I know await Bridges Fappers to retort

GazFish35
02-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Flash boots but

Blackmac79
02-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Man bridges was a pain to watch.

But wait.

Its not his fault.

Not enough game time.
the wind.
the rain.
he was wearing a long sleeve skin.
but but.

Enough excuses guy is shit.

My2BobsWorth
02-02-2013, 09:34 PM

But wait.

Its not his fault.

Not enough game time.
the wind.
the rain.
but but.

And so they start

northern_swan
02-02-2013, 09:39 PM

But wait.

Its not his fault.

Not enough game time.
the wind.
the rain.
but but.

Better or worse than the others on the pitch?
TBH most of the squad is shit and the manager is worse

Buddha
02-02-2013, 10:47 PM
What does he offer that the average local league player doesnt? im sure they could give it away as many times as he did today if they tried.

MFKS
02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Loved the play when he received ball and turned about 45 metres from Smurfs goal and had 10 teammates to pass to and picked out the linesman on the Andrew johns side with no Jet within yards of the passt. Old bloke is going blind.

Love the shit passes to no one. Love the ignoring of teammates when he had 2 on the left unmarked near the penalty box and he tries some miracle diagonal ball that gets cut out. Love the incessant needless fouls he gives away. Love the fact he got 35 mins and DONE **** ALL. Hope the fapfest ends soon

Blackmac79
02-02-2013, 10:59 PM
What does he offer that the average local league player doesnt? im sure they could give it away as many times as he did today if they tried.

This here is my main gripe.

He offers nothing a local lad could not.

militiamon
02-02-2013, 11:20 PM
This here is my main gripe.

He offers nothing a local lad could not.

Local lad or Adam Taggart, the guy that everyone else is saying should be getting more game time. The minutes Bridges are getting at the moment would be much better spent on developing Taggart further rather than giving a guy who is a couple of months away from retiring some symbolic game time.

seldom
02-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Flash boots but

had an old biddy from lambton bowling club behind me...was goin off that a pair of her best whites was lifted from the clubhouse...was blamin Bridgey

MFKS
02-02-2013, 11:36 PM
local lad or adam taggart, the guy that everyone else is saying should be getting more game time. The minutes bridges is getting at the moment would be much better spent on developing taggart further rather than giving a guy who is a couple of months away from retiring some symbolic game time.

nail on head:sup:

Taggz has been the big loser out of our crop of new young players ( MItchy Copper is a bit more long term as he is only 17). Signing Heskey has been a massive thorn to Taggz chances of selection. Ie As long as Heskey is contributing he is getting picked so Taggz is left to scraps of opportunities.

It is a disgrace that Taggz is getting left out of the squad and losing the limited development opportunities he has available to him particularly to accommodate Bridges. Particularly with the clueless shit Bridges dishes up

seldom
02-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Taggart probs needs a few more socceroo call ups before he can mix it with brown,gallbladderway etc. I take it when he was at AIS gary wasn't ?

stopper2
03-02-2013, 12:10 AM
I agree 100%. GVE giving Bridges these cameos goes against his whole philosphy of developing younger players with an eye for the future. Giving Bridges game time is not winning us games in the short term and is preventing a young players development for the long term.

sh10
03-02-2013, 12:24 AM
This thread is the perfect example that regardless of what GVE does, he'll always be hated by a large amount of people. Doesn't play Bridges - we hate him. Gives Bridges 5-10 mins, we hate him. Gives Bridges 35min (honestly, as good as starting him), we hate him. ffs. the one constant in life - tomorrow the sun will rise and there'll be multiple people on the foz hating on gve

q-money
03-02-2013, 12:26 AM
this forum is actually powered by hate, crook has a continuum hate transfunctioner in his shed

seldom
03-02-2013, 12:32 AM
This thread is the perfect example that regardless of what GVE does, he'll always be hated by a large amount of people. Doesn't play Bridges - we hate him. Gives Bridges 5-10 mins, we hate him. Gives Bridges 35min (honestly, as good as starting him), we hate him. ffs. the one constant in life - tomorrow the sun will rise and there'll be multiple people on the foz hating on gve

Yeah...What's your point ?

sh10
03-02-2013, 02:30 AM
^^^

With the signings GVE has seemingly made from watching DVD's, surely throwing this match on his desk could get Bridges on the park??

I wonder if GVE was watching on Friday night??

Grimario
03-02-2013, 03:14 AM
this forum is actually powered by hate, crook has a continuum hate transfunctioner in his shed

This is true. I've noticed that whenever we get some positivity on here, I get a EXCEEDED LIMIT error. Obviously the hatred that everyone develops for the foz being down actually powers it back up but it's a great example of why we need to keep the GvE hate alive.

hawk
03-02-2013, 11:00 AM
not hate, more like care too much

plague
26-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Couldnt find another Bridges thread so i thought id pop this in here before we have to sit through another season of shit backheels.
watch, learn then thank me later Bridgey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=naZLzq1-JpA