PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

q-money
04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/FFA-thanks-Western-Sydney-football-community/64534

seriously does everyone want to just line up and give these blokes a sloppy gobby? jeez

goaliepersempre
04-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Player shirts up for auction... Neville with no bids yet....

MFKS
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
https://auctiondesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category&CategoryID=2606&OrgID=7644

Why would you bother?? $100 minimum for these imposters:blush::eek:

Collectors editions for years to come!!!

The year we finished 8th in a ten team comp

plague
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Some bloke just bid $3500 for Kale Bradbury's.

Wonder who that was?

plague
04-04-2013, 03:27 PM
http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/FFA-thanks-Western-Sydney-football-community/64534

seriously does everyone want to just line up and give these blokes a sloppy gobby? jeez

The RBB would give better gobbies apparently.

You blokes should be more like them.

MFKS
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Some bloke just bid $3500 for Kale Bradbury's.

Wonder who that was?

Nice try Plague. :deadhorse:

https://auctiondesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category&CategoryID=2606&OrgID=7644

No Kale shirt up there.:blush:

Pico
04-04-2013, 03:41 PM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/760/085/applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789

q-money
04-04-2013, 03:46 PM
:rof:

weston
04-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Anyone lend me $100, Mitch Cooper's jersey would be good for the mrs, considering her last name is Cooper...

I find it funny how theres a Mitchell and Neville jersey there and no bids.... i'll give em $10 for both.

militiamon
04-04-2013, 05:13 PM

I loled.

04-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Neville and Mitchell's would be like new , they done nothing all season. Great polishing cloths at the right price.

MFKS
04-04-2013, 05:54 PM
http://www.2gb.com/audioplayer/8269

Audio of interview from radio station 2GB about HAL hooligans.:blush::trolls:

http://www.2gb.com/listen-live

On Now

ROFL

Pico
04-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Jets thank departing players
Thursday, 4 April 2013 4:00 PM

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00064***-leadimage.jpg

The Newcastle Jets have confirmed the Club will not be retaining off contract players Marko Jesic, Dominik Ritter and Bernardo Ribeiro for the 2013/14 A-League season.

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby thanked the trio for their contributions to the Club and community during their time in Newcastle.

“We’re very grateful for everything that Marko, Dominik and Bernardo have given the Club during their time as Jets players,” Middleby said.

“We thank them for their efforts both on and off the field and wish them all the very best with the rest of their football careers.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-thank-departing-players/64***

:lol: Players aren't going any where hey Troy.

Add a few more to Gary's Garbage bin.

Whats that 17 or so players he's thrown out, this time two of "his" players, or were they Branko's too.

Don't worry fella's your in good company.

Thomas477
04-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Huzzah! I never thought the day would come when we saw the back end of Jesic!

Sorry to hear about Ritter.

MFKS
04-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Rather ironic that we have spent the last week whinging about us being average.

Yet now people are disappointed that we don't re sign average players like Ritter:wtf:

plague
04-04-2013, 07:20 PM

Whatever his over/under for goals is next year I'm putting a bagillion dollars on the over.

Signed: someone who put a bagillion dollars on the under (10.5) for Heskey this year.

Ta GVE, money in the bank.

Thomas477
04-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Yet now people are disappointed that we don't re sign average players like Ritter:wtf:

Personally I thought Ritter played well for us, nothing spectacular, but he was, well, solid. If we sign a replacement who is better, great, but atm the bloke next in line is Mitchell.

Ritter > Mitchell

Jeterpool
04-04-2013, 08:53 PM

Don't blame them asking $100.

They didn't buy those shirts at Rebel for free or on sale and do you know how much printing names and numbers is?!? :gent:

MFKS
05-04-2013, 01:17 AM
the daily telegraph has learnt that the former olyroo fronted a tribunal a fortnight ago and is waiting to hear what his penalty will be after putting forward mitigating circumstances.

Hearfield's solicitor, stuart gray, declined to comment until the tribunal's decision is handed down.

But hearfield, 25, could face a ban from all sports of between 12 months and five years after traces of the drug were found following a routine test, making him only the second footballer to fail a test since the a-league was established in 2005.

Having initially denied taking the drug, hearfield later admitted to it and had his a-league contract terminated two months ago. He is no longer listed as a squad player on the club's website.

The test was conducted after the mariners' round 2 match against the melbourne heart.

Under the code of conduct established by anti-doping authority asada, hearfield was provisionally suspended as soon as his first sample was found to be positive.

It's believed that hearfield has struggled with personal issues in recent months that were put forward in mitigation at the tribunal two weeks ago.

The tamworth-born player began his career at the newcastle jets in 2006, making 19 appearances before switching to the wellington phoenix where he notched up 66 games over three seasons.

Mariners coach graham arnold, who had selected hearfield in various olyroos squads in qualifying for the beijing olympics, signed him for the mariners in 2011. Hearfield has since made 30 appearances for the central coast, largely off the bench.

Hearfield's case comes at a sensitive time after asada launched its report and subsequent investigations into drugs in sport, with football having so far not been involved.

At the time of the launch of the report, ffa ceo david gallop said there was no mention of the code within it, and hearfield's case is being seen as an isolated incident.

Stan lazaridis was the only other a-league player to have tested positive after he was punished for taking a prescription alopecia medication.

His case sparked a furore with the tribunal frustrated that its hands were tied in having to pass down a 12-month sentence they made clear they felt was unjustified.

The drug in question was later withdrawn from the banned list.

Former wallaby wendell sailor tested positive for cocaine in south africa in 2006 while playing for the waratahs, and received a two-year ban from all sports after admitting to taking it in the build-up to a game.

After the expiry of his ban wendell returned to the nrl with the dragons, and now is involved in anti-drugs education for young people.

Last night an ffa spokesman said their policy "is not to make comments about individual anti-doping matters unless and until any such matters are completed".lol

seldom
05-04-2013, 01:18 AM

Thought Ritter did well considering his injuries,positional changes and different defensive mates each week. But then again I couldn't understand the NTS hate when he was here so what would I know

joel31
05-04-2013, 10:19 AM
At 12.30 GVE, Middleby and Palmer will be doing a live chat on the Jets website

Zico
05-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Won't be wasting my time on this manufactured dribble. Sack Gve and I'll start to listen again.

05-04-2013, 10:51 AM
More BS on how they have faith in GvE and everybody else has got it wrong.

plague
05-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Awesome, hopefully we get more of the tough questions like this:

Kelly O’Brien asks via email: Hi Robbie, how is the first season of the Emerging Jets shaping up?

Might go weed the garden today, would be more enlightening than listen to club stooges ask powderpuff questions.

Beeen
05-04-2013, 10:55 AM
won't be wasting my time on this manufactured dribble. Sack gve and i'll start to listen again.

qft

Zico
05-04-2013, 12:22 PM
qft
?????

q-money
05-04-2013, 12:23 PM
i believe it means "quoted for truth", zico ya dinosaur

Zico
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
i believe it means "quoted for truth", zico ya dinosaur
That I am :)

GazFish35
05-04-2013, 12:59 PM
That I am :)

Qft

cobra23
05-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Qft

:what: :wtf: :confused:

Grimario
05-04-2013, 03:07 PM
qft

tldr

furns
05-04-2013, 03:10 PM
ffs

Grimario
05-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Gveo

My2BobsWorth
05-04-2013, 05:15 PM

WSW will probably grab Jesic, becomes a fantastic player for them

hawk
05-04-2013, 10:39 PM
WSW will probably grab Jesic, becomes a fantastic player for them

maroc marco marco marco

Thomas477
06-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Goodwun on trial with Reading.

Can see them signing him ASAP, as opposed to the 1-2 years its taken to sign Ryan.

Imyourhero
06-04-2013, 08:04 PM
He'd be on trial with Real Madrid if GVE hadn't destroyed him.

Thomas477
06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
He'd be on trial with Real Madrid if GVE hadn't destroyed him.

Bullshit, there's no ****ing way he would be. He's, at his best, maybe a Championship standard player.

And I am calling for GvE's head, but that's rediculus.

GazFish35
06-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Goodwun on trial with Reading.

Can see them signing him ASAP, as opposed to the 1-2 years its taken to sign Ryan.

Sauce? Sure your not confused with one of his "reading cinemas player of the week" awards

Imyourhero
06-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Hahaha possibly exaggerated a little.
What's with Reading trialing all our young blokes anyways?
There must be a reading scout well involved with the A-league community.

Surely Rojas will go on trial somewhere soon. Give the boy a citizenship!

06-04-2013, 09:10 PM
On NBN News

Thomas477
06-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Sauce? Sure your not confused with one of his "reading cinemas player of the week" awards

As 380 said, NBN News.

belchardo
07-04-2013, 10:25 AM
good, for the sake of the national team, get him away from GVE ASAP!!

GazFish35
07-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Newcastle Jets CEO Robbie Middleby reflects on a season that promised so much, delivered so little on the field but ultimately was still successful.

The Jets went into the 2012/13 Hyundai A-League season with high expectations. They had the financial backing of mining magnate Nathan Tinkler and a well-organised management driving the club.

Head coach Gary van Egmond had been given an open chequebook to construct the squad of his choosing. He cleaned out the team he inherited last season, sending 14 players on their way and recruiting a squad of young players with plenty of potential to fulfil his brand of high-pressing, high-tempo possession football.

The club also added to that mix the experience and profile of one of the true superstars of the game in former England striker Emile Heskey.

Things looked bright for the Newcastle club and they enjoyed their best start to a season to sit second after the first six weeks of the campaign.

However, they soon fell into a rut of inconsistency and slowly slipped down the A-League ladder. They were still in the top four at the half-way stage but that was more a case of the teams below them also floundering.

Around this time the squad was rocked by some high profile departures. Club captain Jobe Wheelhouse left after stating his "heart wasn't in the game anymore", central defender Tiago Calvano was allowed to join rivals Sydney FC, while equal top-goalscorer Ryan Griffiths was poached by a Chinese club in the January transfer window.

By the run to the finals the Jets were clinging on to sixth spot, fielding one of the youngest sides ever in the history of the A-League and needing to win games against the top teams to qualify for the post-season.

The task proved too much and they ended up finishing eighth, which in hindsight, was probably a fair reflection up the quality of football they served up week to week throughout the season.

"It is hard to pinpoint one actual thing,' answers Middleby to the question of what went wrong.

"There has been some key players leave at different times. And from all reports it was their decision, and it was difficult for the club.

"You look at defence and defence has been poor, you look at consistency that is the main thing for the team; one game they were outstanding and the next game they were poor, so for me the key component is the consistency.

"Our expectation was the make the top six this season. Although we have the youngest squad in the competition that was still our expectation. But when you look at it and look how close we were and how close we were in certain games it is hard to take."

Middleby rejects the theory that the high turnover of personnel meant the team took a long time to gel and work fluidly together. The fact that they had a great start to the season dispels that idea and the success of debut club the Western Sydney Wanderers, who had the least amount of preparation shoots any such notion down in flames.

"Yes, we brought in many players for this season, but then you can say that about Western Sydney.

"So it (the result) is a combination of things. We don't like to make excuses all we can say is that we will be better and stronger next season."

While the results were disappointing, it was achievements off the field that the club deemed to be a major success.

"There are so many positives," said Middleby.

"To bring Emile Heskey to the Newcastle Jets has been fantastic not just for the club but for the A-League as a whole.

"What a sensational guy he is for all our young players on and off the field.

"It is credit to the club to have someone like Emile here. Firstly for him to come and secondly for him to stay. Financially he could be offered a lot more money elsewhere but he believes in what we are doing here, he loves the area and he believes in the A-League and it is great for the league that Del Piero, Ono and Heskey have re-signed.

"We also have five young players who have represented the young Socceroos who are going to the Turkey in July for the World Youth Cup. Adam Taggart debuted for the Socceroos, so the future is bright for the Newcastle Jets."

In addition the club had a successful membership drive, eclipsing last year's target membership of 10,000 by more than 1500 members.

"The membership is a really positive thing and second only to Melbourne Victory and when you take into consideration the population of Newcastle, Northern New South Wales and areas like Melbourne and Sydney we are really proud of that," says Middleby.

"Crowd averages are up 20 to 30 per cent, memberships are up over 1000 members, merchandising is up, so there is a lot of positive signs especially for not making the top six.

"The club has so much potential and we want to fulfil that potential not just for ourselves but for our community."

Another first for the club was the launch of the Emerging Jets program.

This is a first for the A-League – a collaborative program with the governing football body of the zone, Northern New South Wales Football, where young players in the region as young as 10 years old are identified trained in a feeder style system.

"That is the big picture. I know it is hard for members and supporters to get the 'we are building for the future' line all the time but we literally are building for the future, but we want success in the meantime," Middleby says.

"But I know for a fact that from this Emerging Jets program that one of these kids will end up being a star, not just for the Jets, and the A-League but for the Socceroos or the Matildas and that is what will make it all worthwhile."

However, the club and its supporters will be expecting better things next season. Van Egmond said they are only looking at recruiting three or four players and as he will be in the last year of his three-year contract he will be expected to deliver handsomely on the plans he initiated last season.

"We do expect results and we are sure for our members and supporters that next season we have to make the top six," says Middleby.

"Of course, that is always the thought to be as high as you can, to be winners.

"But if you ask any team in the competition they will say a top six finish because when you make the finals you can go anywhere from there, especially in the format it is now.

"Of course I want the team to go out and win every single game. It is the passion for the game and the Newcastle spirit that the supporters expect to win every single game.

"The football community of Newcastle expects winners and hopefully we can deliver on that next season."
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/jets-already-looking-ahead/64692

Same old cliches from Middleby.

The Dunster
07-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Not renewing our memberships for next season gets easier everytime Middleby opens his mouth.

Middleby, Deans, and GVE need to be shown the door.

Thomas477
07-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Not renewing our menberships for next season gets easier everytime Middleby opens his mouth.

Middleby, Deans, and GVE need to be shown the door.

Just get rid of Middleby. Then when Middleby's replacement comes in, he'll see that GvE and Deans are shyte and sack them himself.

MFKS
08-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Would be pretty surprised if Goodwin signed for Reading. They couldn't sign Tom Rogic who is in the Socceroos periphery and was playing well and carving up this League. Why would they want a bloke whose crossing is below average and has been struggling in the last few months form/fitness wise in this league??

I am sure a bloke struggling with adapting to the demands of the HAL will cope well with a 50-60 game English season playing 3 times in 7 days all the time on wet heavy pitches at a million mile an hour pace

MFKS
08-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Foxtel pumps $20m in juniors as FFA boss says 'football is cool' by: By Anthony Sharwood

David Gallop is dead serious when he says soccer is cool. Foxtel understands this, which is why it is pumping $20m into junior programs. Picture: Getty Source: News Limited
•Foxtel to pump $20m into junior football
•Rupert Murdoch on hand to make announcement
•FFA boss says kids believe soccer is cooler than other sports
IF YOU thought AFL or rugby league were the sports to play if you want to strut your stuff and be the most popular kid in the playground, guess again.
Football is where it's at. The sport formerly known as soccer is now an instant ticket to cooltown. And that's the word from the top.

Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop today said that football is the game that represents Australia in all of its diversity, the game that is international, and the game that can boast 20 per cent of players who are female.

"Most importantly, football is the game most popular with kids," Mr Gallop said. "The cool kids at school are into football. Tim Cahill is cool. Brett Emerton is cool. Mark Bosnich is super cool."

Mr Gallop's last point about the colourful former Socceroos goalie turned fox Sports commentator is debatable.

But his overall message is much harder to argue with. Football is the future. And the future of the future is juniors.

David Gallop spoke today alongside Rupert Murdoch and other luminaries to launch a new national football development and grassroots program funded by broadcaster Foxtel.

Foxtel will invest over $20 million over the next four years in the program, which is designed to encourage more kids to play football and lead an active and healthy lifestyle.

Socceroos star Tim Cahill will spearhead one of the key initiatives of the program – the Foxtel All Stars Ambition Program, which will reach kids and clubs all over Australia seeking to provide young players with the inspiration to follow their football ambitions.

Cahill will front an "All Stars Academy", which will provide 10 two-day clinics for 1,000 kids from all around Australia, including those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

"I'm thrilled to partner with Foxtel for this exciting new initiative and program," Cahill said.

"My passion is to increase the footprint of football in Australia and I'm excited that Foxtel share the same enthusiasm I have for growing the game.

"To me it's a perfect partnership that will deliver what is needed to provide children of Australia a fun and active way of enjoying football and helping them to follow their dreams."

And that's the key concept. Football has always had huge junior numbers in this country, but many of those children have had no pathway to translate their early passion for the code into a senior career.

They do now. And if David Gallop is right, you probably won't catch too many people calling them sissies for daring to dream about round balls instead of oval ones.

Good to see money going into the grass roots of the game from big business

Imyourhero
09-04-2013, 11:28 AM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1147056/Parma-swoops-for-Antonis

Another good sign for the future of Australian football.

Thomas477
09-04-2013, 11:38 AM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1147056/Parma-swoops-for-Antonis

Another good sign for the future of Australian football.

He's never really reached the heights that were being discussed when he first signed with Sydney. Don't see what the fuss is about with him tbh, never impressed me.

joel31
09-04-2013, 12:27 PM
He was solid but is still young and be a good Socceroo if he plays regularly and well in Europe

MFKS
09-04-2013, 12:29 PM
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/football/former-stars-back-to-help-youngsters-20130408-2hhlz.html

Former stars back to help youngsters

Socceroos representative Tom Rogic almost slipped through the cracks of the Canberra soccer landscape, before a talent search uncovered his ability.

Fellow Canberrans Shaun Ontong and Kaz Patafta want to help plug those cracks and discover the next Rogic, through their own soccer academy.

The duo were born and raised in the ACT before going on to represent Australia at junior level, with Ontong captaining the under-20 national team and Patafta holding the same job at under-17 level.

Ontong played in the A-League with Adelaide United and the Newcastle Jets, while Patafta played for Portuguese giants Benfica and then Melbourne Victory and the Jets.
Advertisement

While extolling the virtues of the ACT Academy of Sport program, the pair did extra training on their own in an attempt to get noticed.

They worked out in Ontong's garage and did runs up Black Mountain. Patafta said the Ontong Patafta Football Academy would mean Canberra youngsters didn't need to do that as well.

The program is still in its embryonic stages, but will help those involved in the ACTAS model or develop others who have missed out.

Patafta said Nike had already come on board.

"Tom Rogic at a young age was told by the AIS and places like that that he's not the right type of player, but anything's possible,'' Patafta said. "But I'll tell you now he was doing a lot of extra sessions by himself here in Canberra. That's what it takes.

"We're not trying to step on anyone's toes … it's just opening up doors and providing extra mentoring sessions that hopefully gives some of these kids a bit more confidence."

Patafta said anyone was free to apply, but they would sit down and chat with all applicants to decide if they're in the right ''head space''.

He said they would use their network of friends around the world to help the Canberra talent.

They will call on the likes of Victory striker Archie Thompson and Western Sydney Wanderers vice-captain Nikolai Topor-Stanley to take sessions with their students.

"We want to keep it quite exclusive, but we're trying to meet with every player individually at the start and we want to learn about them, we want to learn about their mentality … and then take it from there,'' Patafta said.

"Rather than just looking at the best players in Canberra or targeting the Academy players, it's not going to tread on anyone's toes, it's more of a mentorship program where these boys want to take their game to the next level.

"Eventually the kids that do show promise, we do have avenues in the A-League and also overseas.

"We want to offer a scholarship every year to two players that show a bit more promise and we've got some good connections in Europe with some pretty top clubs."

So this is the great idea the pair came up with when they were running laps together under Gary??

Grimario
09-04-2013, 12:34 PM
He was solid but is still young and be a good Socceroo if he plays regularly and well in Europe

Nah, he is shit, like Chapman. Should **** off to Z grade until they are mid 30's and ready for A-League.

Tommyjet
09-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Nah, he is shit, like Chapman. Should **** off to Z grade until they are mid 30's and ready for A-League.

Hehe, top sarcasm, loads of potential but never used properly by Sydney, played on the right wing second half of season and did ok but definitely a centre mid who can go box to box

MFKS
10-04-2013, 11:29 AM
NORTHERN NSW Football chief executive David Eland hopes the $20 million funding package announced by the game's governing body on Monday will help reduce registration fees for junior players.

Football Federation Australia said the Foxtel cash injection would be dedicated to a national development and grassroots program, to be shared among the code's 1.7 million participants.

Under the terms of the deal, Foxtel will sponsor the National Youth League, the All-Stars team to face Manchester United in July, and concepts such as the All-Stars Academy and the All-Stars Ambition Tour, which will cater for elite juniors.

But it was also proposed that cash would trickle down to the base of Australia's footballing pyramid, in particular to amateur clubs run by volunteers.

Eland said on Tuesday that he was still awaiting "a full debrief" but was hopeful there would be positive news.

Eland said top of his wish list was the $7 million required for the proposed state-of-the-art NNSWF headquarters at Speers Point.

But a more realistic outcome would be to reduce playing fees at junior level.

"Whilst I don't think football is expensive, the reality is it costs far more to play football than it does some other sports," he said.

"That is because of the funding model that exists, which is bottom-up, whereas the majority of other sports are top down.

"So collectively the member federations have made it very clear to FFA that when our elite product is mature enough, we would certainly like to see some of the money that is being generated from broadcast deals, for example, filtering down to the grassroots."

Eland said junior registration costs varied from club to club, but players in beginner age groups (five- to 11-year-olds) could sign up for about $170 a season. Older age groups (12 to 18) could cost upwards of $250.

Some clubs charged more because the fees included playing kits and specialist coaching.
See your ad here

"At the present time NNSWF directs $650,000 to the FFA on an annual basis, and that comes directly from mums and dads and kids that play our game through capitation fees, imposed by FFA," he said. "As a starting point, having that $650,000 to invest in the grassroots throughout Northern NSW would be wonderful."

After lobbying the state government for funding, Eland was hopeful a decision regarding the Speers Point facility would be announced soon.

"I really hope it's realistic," Eland said. "The total project cost is $11.3 million. We're not going totally cap in hand.

"We're prepared to put $4 million towards it. And at the end of the day, this is establishing a community asset."

I would love to see rego fees reduced. To me this is an issue though for the government to sort out as to why it costs so much to insure a kid to play soccer when most of the injuries sustained in it would be treated under medicare anyway.

My pygmy counting skills would indicate this $20 million if all spent of rego fees would make barley any difference to the over all cost bar say the $10 or so a head it would remove

Grimario
10-04-2013, 12:16 PM
From the Perf twitter feed...

GILLETT AXED AS FFA ADMIT ERROR | ''There's no doubt, with all the footage available, the Victory player did control the ball with his arm"

GazFish35
10-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I though gillet was unsighted as a player was between him and the action.
The Lino was more likely to be able to see it.

Could be wrong though.

Jeterpool
10-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Who cares - he's gone! Bring back Strebre.

Grimario
10-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Who cares - we're gone! **** off football.

Jeterpool
10-04-2013, 01:36 PM

true

MFKS
10-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Except when the Mariners are blowing a lead in the last 10 mins and get rolled.

VIVA FOOTBALL:lulzturtle::lulzturtle::lulzturtle::lulzt urtle::lulzturtle::lulzturtle:

Grimario
10-04-2013, 04:14 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-10/ffa-cup-set-to-kick-off-next-year/4620966?section=sport

Whoo

An Australia Day grand final in 2015 is set to be the showpiece of the inaugural FFA Cup, which will finally kick-off this time next year, Football Federation Australia boss David Gallop has announced.

The much-anticipated knockout tournament, based on England's FA Cup, will feature around 700 teams across Australia with the A-League sides to join in September and October at the same time as their season starts.

Gallop said on Wednesday that the FFA Cup, which is sure to provide another boon for the code currently enjoying a surge in popularity across Australia, was a priority for his administration.

"We will move to an FFA Cup and I would expect it to start in 2014," Gallop said.

"It will start around this time of the year and the A-League clubs will come in around September and October to coincide with the start of the A-League season.

"The grand plan is to hold an Australia Day grand final of the FFA Cup."

Gallop said he had fast-tracked planning on the tournament when he took over as FFA chief executive in November last year.

"There are people at the FFA working on it now," he said.

"The first day on the job when someone told me about it I said what are we doing about it?

"There will be six or seven hundred teams involved and we all know about the FA Cup, we all get up for it, the chance for those (lesser) teams to come through.

"The FFA Cup will happen. There is a lot of work being done on it and there are some challenges involved.

"But when we do it we want to do it right."

belchardo
10-04-2013, 07:11 PM
AWESOME! seriously good.

militiamon
10-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Pretty sure the FFA Cup was meant to start 'next season' for the last 5 seasons. Will believe it when a solid date + fixtures are announced.

ForeverRed
10-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Ruben has won the men of football ray Baartz medal presented this evening

MFKS
10-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Adelaide United FC rejects the calls made by John Kosmina for the resignation of Glenn Elliott and Michael Petrillo. Were it not for the capabilities of each of Petrillo and Elliott the Club would not have achieved what it did under the stewardship of Kosmina.

It was Petrillo who sourced and recruited in this period both Marcelo Carrusca and Jeronimo Neumann. After the resignation of Kosmina, Petrillo signed the talented Tomi Juric. Petrillo is the best judge of talented footballers operating in the Hyundai A-League. It is common knowledge that Kosmina has personal animosity towards Petrillo. Despite that animosity Petrillo worked tirelessly to bring the best players to Adelaide United.

Kosmina had very different views about the playing list from Elliott and Petrillo. The attempted signing by Kosmina of a bogus player who was a Miami disc jockey caused the Club great embarassment. We had to direct Kosmina to stay out of recruitment and leave it to Petrillo.

Kosmina without the authority of the Club negotiated in the 2011/12 season the free transfer of Dario Vidosic to Brisbane Roar. That transfer was rejected by the Club. The Club took the position that all player matters be handled by Petrillo at first instance with the final decision made by the entire Football Department. This system has worked very well for the Club. There is no basis for Petrillo to be forced to leave the Club.

Elliott is a trusted and highly competent CEO. Elliott, apart from ensuring the Club raised sufficient funds to remain viable, also on a daily basis dealt with player issues during the time Kosmina was coach. During this period the Club lost some fine players and people simply because Kosmina did not want them. The loss of Sergio van Dijk, Zenon Caravella and Francisco Usucar all came about as a result of player-coach friction. Each of those players would have been very useful on Sunday evening. It is easy for Kosmina, who chose to resign by email, to now criticise those who stayed behind to serve the Club. I invite the media to speak to the players left behind and find out their views on the Kosmina coaching period.

The Club had no intention of making public its side of this story as it prefers to allow these matters to pass without issue. The Club will not however stand back and see loyal and talented staff attacked in the public arena any longer. The attack orchestrated on Michael Valkanis has been the most distasteful. Valkanis is a former Socceroo and Captain of this Club. He stood up when Kosmina walked away. Kosmina was not sacked or pushed, he walked. Were it not for Valkanis the Club would have been without a coach. Whilst the results were not as good as the Club and the fans had hoped for the Club was within reach of forcing extra time on Sunday. That is football and we are all judged on results, not chances. The Club owes Valkanis a debt of gratitude. Regrettably after this latest outburst it owes Kosmina nothing.

Eugene Galekovic slams Adelaide United's hierarchy and says John Kosmina "was pushed"

ADELAIDE United skipper Eugene Galekovic has launched a scathing attack on the club's hierarchy in the aftermath of the club's finals exit to Brisbane Roar at Hindmarsh yesterday.
Such was his anger that he wouldn't divulge whether he would ask for an early release from his four year contract if he believed the club wasn't making the right decisions.

Galekovic also believed that John Kosmina was forced to quit in January saying he "was pushed."

The normally reserved gloveman seemingly could not hold back his emotions any longer after the Reds promised to deliver so much more than a sudden death exit from the playoffs this season.

Galekovic has called for expertise to run the squad but stopped short when asked if he would back interim boss Mike Valkanis for the long term job.

"It's been a strange year," Galekovic said at Hindmarsh Stadium this morning.

"I think it starts from the top and it goes all the way down and the main thing is football people need to make football decisions at this football club.

"I think football people should just make those decisions leave that for just football people.

"If there aren't any football people at this football club maybe they've got to bring in people."

Galekovic said he was frustrated not only by last night's loss but by the way the Reds have seemingly imploded this season.

Adelaide was aiming for a second AFC Champions League final appearance and appeared to be on its way to claiming the premier's plate until December before Roar proved the Reds to be fragile in a 2-1 finals win.

"I'm absolutely gutted," Galekovic said.

"Us boys can't change things everything falls on us we'll take responsibility but like I said things can be made easier as well.

"We tried to just worry about the football, obviously everyone feels differently about certain aspects about things that happened at the football club

"Some players take things more personally more upon themselves everyone gets affected."

Galekovic wouldn't say who he'd like to see as coach or run the football department.

He said it was too early to make a decision but he wouldn't discount asking for transfer if he saw the club taking direction he wasn't comfortable with.

Galekovic said Daniel Mullen - a former Reds defender and his move to Melbourne Victory rather than returning to his home town after his Chinese club allowed him to go on loan was a perfect example of players no longer wanting to join Adelaide.

"One thing that needs to change is the culture of the football club," he said. "Over the last few year we used to be the benchmark of the A-League.

"Every player wanted to come here and play for Adelaide United.

"I think that's changed.

"You want to get the best players at this football club.

Adelaide United FC would like to announce that current interim Coach Michael Valkanis will not be an applicant for the club’s vacant Head Coaching position, however he will continue in his former role as an Assistant Coach.

A former Reds skipper, Valkanis said he had made the decision not to put his hand up for the position some time ago.

“As I have said numerous times previously, I accepted the position only because of the sudden resignation of the previous coach and I was asked to step in and fill the role for the remainder of the season, which I have done,” Valkanis said.

“The last couple of months have been a great learning experience and a challenge which I enjoyed immensely, however I was and remain content to be an Assistant Coach and to spend time improving and learning under a Senior Coach, so for me that position has not changed.”

“I’m grateful to be a part of this club which is and will continue to be a great club in the future. I now look forward to working with the new coach whoever that may be and giving him the support and assistance necessary to make the club successful.”

Adelaide United Chairman Greg Griffin respects Valkanis’ decision and thanked him for assisting the club in an interim coaching capacity.

“On behalf of the club we would like to express our appreciation to Michael for helping the club under sudden and difficult circumstances,” Mr. Griffin said.

ADELAIDE United's coaching selection committee has quit tonight after Mike Valkanis was appointed Reds assistant coach today.

Former Socceroos Craig Foster, John Perin and Alex Tobin and Reds owner and board member Bruno Marveggio have all walked away from helping Adelaide United select a long-term future coach.

Perin said the panel was disappointed that the club appointed Valkanis before the committee was ready to announce its candidates.

Perin said the committee did not recommend Valkanis as an assistant or head coach.

"It's strange how a club can announce an assistant without announcing their head coach first," Perin said.

"They're putting the cart before the horse and we've decided that we're wasting our time."

Foster also an expert SBS football analyst posted a statement on Facebook.

"Following discussions last week relating to the proposed coach selection process which have not led to a satisfactory resolution," Foster posted.

"I have resigned from the panel.

"I wish the club and fans the very best of endeavours and a successful coming season."

The panel was endorsed by the club in February, less than a week after John Kosmina quit in January.

Pissant Club is turning into a circus. How dare they try to usurp our crown

belchardo
12-04-2013, 07:32 AM
‘Soccer hooligans’ of the Herald Sun’s making

In 2011, I attempted to warn (https://theconversation.com/a-league-fans-dont-label-them-football-hooligans-3355) then-Victorian Police Superintendent Rod Wilson and Australian soccer’s governing body, Football Federation Australia, from “amplifying the actions of a few unruly football fans by inappropriately labelling them as hooligans in the media”.

In particular, I drew attention to the widespread “outsider image of football” within Australia as well as my unease at how all acts of spectator disorderliness at soccer matches were being labelled as “hooliganism”. I also took care to describe how such characterisations may help create, escalate and sustain violence at football matches.

My advice was informed by years of research into related problems in Europe in the period from 1863 to the present day. I concluded by pointing a way forward for the authorities:

Here’s hoping the Victoria Police rethink their policing strategy for the A-League 2011/12 season – for to do so would recognise that collective violence is a sort of conversation among and between its participants, which cannot be combated by merely suppressing violent ideas and punishing loutish behaviour.

Many things appear to have changed since 2011. Those soccer fans that are violent are now displaying a higher level of coordination, especially in ways that seek to mythologise past escapades both within the group and more widely through social media.

However, a number of things haven’t changed. The problem persists, at roughly the same level as it did in 2011 – perhaps tens, not hundreds, of fans are arrested or evicted each game (http://www.news.com.au/news/law-order/police-officer-hit-at-a-league-match-as-soccer-fans-erupt-at-aami-park/story-fnat79vb-1226579479112). And the clubs, the governing body, and Victorian police are making comparable statements (http://www.news.com.au/news/law-order/police-slam-fans-after-soccer-derby-leaves-trail-of-destruction/story-fnat79vb-1226567745753) to those that were made in 2011.

What we are seeing is a discernible shift in the editorial agenda of Melbourne’s Herald Sun newspaper.

Whereas The Age and (to some degree) The Australian have stayed relatively quiet on the matter, or have gone to pains (http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/hooliganism-at-derby-clash-was-worst-ever-20130204-2duj6.html) to emphasise how the problem is isolated to a select few supporters, the Herald Sun appears intent on manufacturing an image of the world game that isolates soccer and its supporters from Australian culture. As one Herald Sun opinion columnist, Rita Panahi, so passionately put it (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ugly-soccer-fans-spoil-the-games-image-with-bad-behaviour-at-heart-victory-match/story-e6frfkp9-1226570283991):

And let’s set the record straight: it is called soccer in this country. Football is played with an oval ball on an oval ground.

One editorial (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/hostages-to-fan-violence/story-e6frfhqf-1226617676843) tries to cause a rift between soccer and Australian rules football by referring to soccer’s “violent culture” in contrast “other football codes”. We are led to believe that this behaviour is so unique to soccer’s A-League that:

A football fan who enthusiastically barracks for his team at an AFL match one day may turn into an abusive and aggressive thug at a soccer match the next.

Herald Sun readers are routinely told (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ugly-soccer-fans-spoil-the-games-image-with-bad-behaviour-at-heart-victory-match/story-e6frfkp9-1226570283991) that soccer is replete with “simpleton fans” and “dim-witted semi-literates”, who employ “harebrained irrationality” because their “perpetual state of outrage” forever leads to “the type of aggressive ugliness that must be rooted in a deep sense of inadequacy”. And all that from someone who self-identifies herself as a “quintessential soccer mum”.

All this hateful speech because at Melbourne Victory soccer games we’re told, “the stadium sustained damage that simply doesn’t occur at AFL, NRL, Super Rugby or cricket games”.

Indeed, by Rita Panahi’s account: “you simply don’t see other fans behaving in such a manner. When someone causes trouble during an AFL game, the majority tend to turn on them”.

Really? Fox Sports soccer commentator Simon Hill has tallied (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/fox-sports-simon-hill-launches-empassioned-plea-for-fair-coverage-of/story-e6frf7jo-1226595870003) the numbers, and found that actually:

At [Melbourne] Victory matches this year…there had been a total (at all home games) of 36 evictions. An average of 3.25 per game. In an average attendance of 23,610. Doesn’t sound much like an epidemic to me. Those figures are roughly similar to the ejection figures for all AFL games at Etihad Stadium last season. In 2012, there were a total of 210 evictions over 47 games – an average of just over 4 per game.

Whatever your “opinion”, it seems when it comes to soccer the Herald Sun don’t value their readers by giving them historically, factually or conceptually informed ones.

http://theconversation.com/soccer-hooligans-of-the-herald-suns-making-13411

for an "educated, mature, informed" website there sure are some idiot comments on this article. but i should have known that from some of the other article comments.

MFKS
12-04-2013, 04:37 PM
The standards and tactics of Policing and Security at games need to improve out of sight. Fix this issue and a lot of these issues at the game are gone.

Deal with the dickheads appropriately and leave the passionate fans alone. At present they spend far too much time focusing on the passionate fan and the idiots get away with whatever they want.

With umpteen Security and Police around the away bay at Newy why were the RBB clowns ripping flares left to do as they please??? What the **** are they doing??

In the meantime blokes are getting chatted for letting fly with the F word after a contentious call goes against us.

FMD, :banghead:

PRIORITIES PEOPLE

MFKS
15-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Melbourne Victory’s diminutive dynamo Marco Rojas has claimed the prestigious Johnny Warren Medal as well as the NAB Young Footballer of the Year Award at the Hyundai A-League 2013 Awards held in Sydney.

Rojas was the standout winner after receiving 908 votes from his playing peers, which easily doubled that of his nearest rival, Alessandro Del Piero of Sydney FC (449 votes) and streets ahead of Daniel McBreen (280 votes), Michael McGlinchey (239 votes) and Dario Vidosic (222 votes). In picking up the NAB Young Footballer of the Year Award he also collected a $10,000 NAB investment portfolio.

Brisbane Roar’s Clare Polkinghorne received the Julie Dolan Medal for Westfield W-League Player of the Year.

Fellow Brisbane Roar teammate, Tameka Butt received the Westfield W-League’s Player’s Player of the Year Award, although Butt was unable to accept the award due to currently playing for 1 FFC Frankfurt in Germany.

Adelaide United’s Awer Mabil picked up the National Youth League Player of the Year Award.

Western Sydney Wanderers Goalkeeper Ante Covic capped off a stellar season with the Hyundai A-League Goalkeeper of the Year Award and Canberra United’s Mackenzie Arnold was named the Westfield W-League Goalkeeper of the year.

Evergreen Central Coast Mariners striker Daniel McBreen collected the Nike Golden Boot Award after scoring 17 goals during the regular season, whilst Katie Gill from Perth Glory was the Westfield W-League Golden Boot winner courtesy of her 11 goals throughout the season.

After claiming the Premiers’ Plate in the last round of the season, Western Sydney Wanderers coach Tony Popovic picked up the Hyundai A-League Coach of the Year Award in his rookie season.

In a strange twist of fate, current Brisbane Roar coach, Mike Mulvey, was named the Westfield W-League Coach of the Year for his efforts with Melbourne Victory, before transferring to become the coach of Brisbane Roar in the Hyundai A-League .

Melbourne Victory midfielder Marcos Flores picked up the Goal of the Year Award for his Round 5 effort against the Wellington Phoenix. Emily van Egmond from the Newcastle Jets scored the Westfield W-League Goal of the Year with her fantastic solo effort against Perth Glory in Round 11.

Brisbane Roar picked up both the Hyundai A-League and National Youth League Fair Play Awards for accruing the least number of yellow and red cards in each competition. Sydney FC received the Westfield W-League Fair Play Award.

Peter Green received his first Hyundai A-League Referee of the Year award whilst Kate Jacewicz was named the Westfield W-League’s Referee of the Year for an amazing fourth consecutive season.

• The Johnny Warren medal is determined by all registered squad players voting on a 3-2-1 basis at three separate periods during the season. Players are not permitted to vote for their own team mates. Any players that receive a red card or found guilty of misconduct are not eligible to win.
• The Julie Dolan Medal is the best and fairest award, voted on by a panel which includes the National Women’s Head Coach. All vote on a 3-2-1 basis at the conclusion of every match - players who receive a red card or are guilty of any misconduct charges are not eligible to win.

So what the hell happened to ADP?? Bloke was robbed blind:blush:

Jetmaster
15-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Makes a difference when Fox commentators don't get a vote !

militiamon
16-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Mel

http://i.haymarket.net.au/Galleries/20130415095801_166656018_10.jpg

Need more pixels, argghhh

Bon
16-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Yep... I'm done...

Zico
16-04-2013, 03:30 PM
She is sensational

Beeen
16-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Gallop definitely tucking it under

militiamon
16-04-2013, 06:12 PM
:rof:

plague
16-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Mel

http://i.haymarket.net.au/Galleries/20130415095801_166656018_10.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/hreov6.jpg

Jetmaster
17-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Showed it to the wife, who surprisingly didn't comment on the dress.....just said "isn't she beautiful ??".

Good to know I had spousal approval before adjourning to the shower !

:fap:

seldom
18-04-2013, 04:43 PM
jobe moved to brisbane yet ?

bump

MFKS
18-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Yianni Perkatis may have to curtail his celebrations if Western Sydney Wanderers wins Sunday's A-League grand final against Central Coast Mariners after being named in the latest Australia U-20 training camp

The 19-year-old midfielder, WSW team-mate Reece Caira and Mariners defender Hayden Morton are among 24 players named by Young Socceroos coach Paul Okon for the five-day camp on the Central Coast starting on Monday.

Only Australia-based players have been chosen as Okon's final selection phase for this year's FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.

All the Young Socceroos matches at the tournament will be LIVE on SBS TV and streamed online on TWG.

“This is our first camp together since the AFC U-19 Championships last November and our first since the draw for the World Cup was made last month ,” Okon said.

“There are some new faces in this squad that we will have the opportunity to experience the national team set-up for the first time as well.

“The competition for places in the final World Cup squad we be high and we need the players to show themselves in these camps,” Okon said.

The Young Socceroos training camp squad is:

Nicholas Ansell - Melbourne Victory
Terry Antonis - Sydney FC
Anthony Bouzanis (gk) - Sydney FC
Joshua Brillante - Newcastle Jets
Corey Brown - Brisbane Roar
Reece Caira - Western Sydney Wanderers
Connor Chapman - Newcastle Jets
Daniel Da Silva - Perth Glory
James Donachie - Brisbane Roar
Jack Duncan (gk) - Newcastle Jets
Scott Galloway - Melbourne Victory
Corey Gameiro - Wellington Phoenix
Ben Garuccio - Melbourne Heart
Jason Geria - Melbourne Victory
Andrew Hoole - Newcastle Jets
Paul Izzo (gk) - Adelaide United
Jesse Makarounas - Melbourne Victory
Hayden Morton - Central Coast Mariners
Connor Pain - Melbourne Victory
Yianni Perkatis - Western Sydney Wanderers
Adam Taggart - Newcastle Jets
David Vrankovic - Melbourne Heart
Jeremy Walker - Melbourne Heart
Kwame Yeboah - Brisbane Roar

Australia has been drawn in Group C at the FIFA U-20 World Cup and will face Colombia on 23 June, El Salvador on 26 June and host nation Turkey on 29 June.

Usual suspects from our lot but surprised the Newy boy has got the call up

seldom
19-04-2013, 03:41 AM
Camp's on the scum coast ffs...Newy players to be worse for the experience

MFKS
19-04-2013, 12:38 PM
FOOTBALL chiefs have ramped up the pressure on the state government to redevelop Parramatta Stadium and expand its capacity on the back of huge demand for grand-final tickets.

Predicting that the grand final appearance at Allianz Stadium would drive Western Sydney's crowd next year beyond this season's 12,500 average, Football Federation chief executive David Gallop called for the government to commit immediate funding towards an upgrade.

Western Sydney chairman Lyall Gorman predicted that his club would outgrow the current capacity "within three years" without a commitment to expand the stadium and improve its corporate facilities.

Three games at Parramatta sold out this season, and tickets for the grand final against the Mariners sold out in 48 hours.

"We have already made a strong case for an upgrade at Parramatta Stadium, based on the phenomenal success of the Wanderers in year one which has seen three sold out matches," said Gallop.

"That's purely and simply demand exceeding the number of seats. The fact is Wanderers have averaged over 12,500 at a stadium with about 19,500 capacity.

"The grand final appearance will only add to the momentum for next season.

"In 2014, the Wanderers will enter the Asian Champions League and there are minor modifications needed at Parramatta to meet the competition requirements, so that could start some longer-term planning.

"The NSW Government through the Premier Barry O'Farrell and the Sports Minister Graham Annesley have done the right thing in making Parramatta Stadium a true home for the Wanderers, but the time is fast approaching when the western Sydney community will look to government for a commitment."

Gorman said he had already been banging the drum of expansion to a variety of community leaders.

"We've made an absolute, unequivocal commitment that our playing home will be in Parramatta, but clearly that can only be the case if the infrastructure allows it," Gorman said.

"I have no doubt we'll outgrow the stadium in the next three years, and we need commitment to a model with a minimum capacity of 35,000, enhanced corporate facilities and better parking.

"I raised it with the NSW Treasurer, Mike Baird, last week and we've spoken with the local members, the mayor, the Western Sydney Business Chamber.

"So far it's been a very collaborative discussion but at this stage there's no hint of the commitment we need."

Can someone explain why it took 8 ****ing years to get a team in Western Sydney yet we put a team in Nth Qld Gold Coast before there???:wtf:

Imyourhero
19-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Can someone explain why it took 8 ****ing years to get a team in Western Sydney yet we put a team in Nth Qld Gold Coast before there???:wtf:

Wish i could point you to the song 'Money, money, Moneeey".....but we all saw how NQ turned out.....

Pico
19-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Crawford reports 5 year exclusivity recommendation in Sydney & Melbourne, which were both still active when the FFA looked to initially expand the league.

belchardo
19-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Camp's on the scum coast ffs...Newy players to be worse for the experience

Not really possible when you think about it.

Vandenberg13
19-04-2013, 07:12 PM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1148334/Jets-signs-up-for-Singapore-Sixes

we going to singapore

Vandenberg13
19-04-2013, 07:12 PM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1148334/Jets-signs-up-for-Singapore-Sixes

we going to singapore

Jetmaster
20-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Even our young guys are crocks.....

Jets midfielder Mitch Cooper has successfully undergone knee surgery after sustaining an injury during the last training session of the season.

During surgery doctors agreed he required a full anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction.

The promising Young Socceroo is expected to return to rehab training in a few months and be available for next season's A-League competition.

Mitch came to fame when previously playing for Gold Coast United and was appointed the youngest ever A-League captain on his debut game.

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said "Mitch is an exciting young player and it is disappointing he will have a late start to next season but we are confident he will have a full recovery and be an important contributor to our 2013/14 campaign."

parksey
20-04-2013, 04:41 PM
big call to say that wsw will be packing out a 30k + stadium every week in years to come. all it takes is one shit season and they could be back to your 8-10k average.

sammydog
20-04-2013, 05:12 PM
That will be interesting to see. When the inevitable bad season comes, will the supporters still be out in force. I have a feeling their crowds won't drop as many as most clubs would.

Tommyjet
20-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Liked wat I saw from cooper later in the season, would like to see him at least on the bench next season, gives a lot coming on with 20 or so to go

MFKS
20-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Even our young guys are crocks.....

Sad to here that. Hopefully the surgery wasn't done by the bloke who done Culina and Kanta otherwise Mitchy will not be back to his best for us until at least 2023.

Obviously won't be running around in the NBN League this year and probably won't be back until at least a few weeks into the HAL at best

Imyourhero
20-04-2013, 05:53 PM
We really have some quality youth players e.g. coops, hoole, taggart but despite his passion for youth GVE is simply NOT the coach who gets the best out of players like these due to his terrible man management skills, it is so sad to see as these boys have much promise in them.

I hope to god GVE proves us all wrong and these boys develop into great Australian players.

militiamon
20-04-2013, 08:41 PM
big call to say that wsw will be packing out a 30k + stadium every week in years to come. all it takes is one shit season and they could be back to your 8-10k average.

Struggled to to get more than 10k to games consistently this season. How many home games would they have actually pulled larger crowds than capacity? Derbies + the finals games maybe? The rest the stadium was half-full at best.

If they go to shit I don't expect their crowds to drop to Wellington/Heart/CCM levels, but their core crowd for the time being seems to be about the same as ours.

20-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Sad to here that. Hopefully the surgery wasn't done by the bloke who done Culina and Kanta otherwise Mitchy will not be back to his best for us until at least 2023.

Obviously won't be running around in the NBN League this year and probably won't be back until at least a few weeks into the HAL at best

Depending on the method they chose to go with but at best 9 months i reckon. Could not imagine them gone LARS at his age although it does offer a much quicker recovery time.

seldom
20-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Liked wat I saw from cooper later in the season, would like to see him at least on the bench next season, gives a lot coming on with 20 or so to go

Agreed we seem to have plenty of players capable of comin on with 20 to go....Problem is what to do for the 1st 70

Tommyjet
20-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Agreed we seem to have plenty of players capable of comin on with 20 to go....Problem is what to do for the 1st 70

Too true bud

MFKS
22-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Reigning National Youth League Golden Boot winner Kale Bradbery says he hopes to carry his hot run of form with the Newcastle Jets youth team into the 2013 NBN State League season.

Bradbery netted 16 goals during the Jets’ most successful NYL campaign ever to finish the season as the competition’s top scorer.

Despite missing the opening rounds of the current NBN State League season with a knee injury, Bradbery said he is determined to earn another Golden Boot award and defend the title he won in 2012.

“It was my target at the start of the year to get the Golden Boot in the National Youth League and just be consistent enough to get a run in the A-League.

“Obviously that didn’t happen, but it will definitely be my goal during the NBN State League season to work as hard as I can and try to earn myself a contract for next season.

“Last NBN State League season I managed to get the Golden Boot in my first season in first grade and it’s always my goal to do that.

“Scoring goals is definitely where your confidence comes from.

“When you’re hitting the back of the net on a regular basis the rest of your game flows with it and it’s great when you’re doing that.”

Bradbery has clearly benefitted from having the opportunity to train regularly with the Jets’ first team and learn from former English Premier League strikers Michael Bridges and Emile Heskey.

“It’s massive having them here,” Bradbery said.

“Obviously they’ve played in the biggest league overseas and probably the best league in the world.

“It’s great having those experienced blokes here to guide me along and teach me new things.

“Bridgey has taken me aside a few times and told me the areas of my game that I need to work on. If I’ve done something wrong he’s helped me to correct it.

“It’s massive for me having those guys around especially for me as a young striker to learn off them.”

Bradbery is hoping to follow the path tread by his teammate and close friend Andrew Hoole, who graduated from the Jets youth team to make his A-League debut and earn a contract with the Club this season.

“Hooley’s a great player and I always played with him growing up,” Bradbery said.

“It gives me great inspiration to try and follow in his footsteps and hopefully get a contract either next year or in the years coming.”

The Jets youth team have started the 2013 NBN State League season with a draw and a loss, but Bradbery is confident they can quickly turn their form around.

“The boys have had kind of a tough start to the season, but you could see that happening with us having a month off after the National Youth League,” he said.

“We’re sort of just getting back into it and I’m sure we’ll get better as the season goes on.

“Hopefully we can finish in the top two teams and that will help us develop heading into the National Youth League next season.”

The great man speaks

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Bradbery-looking-to-continue-golden-run/65598?movideo_m=306435
How the **** did I miss this???:wub:

MFKS
22-04-2013, 05:43 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s480x480/528263_10151341392960216_1621034220_n.jpg:whistlin g::rof:

Guerny
23-04-2013, 12:32 PM
They were the premiers...
FFS... who cares about a three round knock out tournament at the end of the proper season that you win a toilet seat for??

GazFish35
23-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Hardly a choke tbf.

snake
23-04-2013, 01:38 PM
FFS... who cares about a three round knock out tournament at the end of the proper season that you win a toilet seat for??

a country called straya

champions >> premiers

Jeterpool
23-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Fabio and Sydney parted ways

q-money
23-04-2013, 03:52 PM
bring back the two-legged final series imo

just cause the gypos ruined it by not showing up doesn't mean you have to can it

some of the best moments in da haaaay liiick have come from it.

i.e. melbourne v adelaide last minute winner, takka versus queensland, newy v adelaide brutal troy hearfield cawk choke etc etc

this new finals format was heinously shit and boring

slobsy
23-04-2013, 03:56 PM
should be top 8 imo

q-money
23-04-2013, 03:56 PM
top 40

Grimario
23-04-2013, 04:00 PM
should be top 8 imo

Problem with that though... given our track record of just falling short of our end of season aims, we would finish 9th on GD or something, 100% guaranteed. Move it to top 10, just to be safe.

pv4
23-04-2013, 04:16 PM
1v4 & 2v3 home & away legs

cheers

q-money
23-04-2013, 04:18 PM
cheers

nev

belchardo
23-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Problem with that though... given our track record of just falling short of our end of season aims, we would finish 9th on GD or something, 100% guaranteed. Move it to top 10, just to be safe.

and HSG would still say "it's not just about making the finals"

MFKS
23-04-2013, 05:22 PM

How can the Hubcap event be considered a fair and balanced event anyway??

Teams play each other 3 times and due to perks in the draw you could get to visit tough away trips once and play a pile of teams at home like the Heart who can't win on the road. Not to mention some teams got 14 home games and others got 13. How is the current League system even fair??

You could argue CCM were disadvantaged in the Hub Cap race by playing WSW only once at home and WSW benefited by having a defacto home game against the Jets at Campbelltown in the regional fixtures where as CCM had to travel to Tassie and play Victree in an area Victree have been playing in for years developing support.

I have no drama if you wish to go for the first past the post angle but FFS fix the competition to every one plays each other once home and away or everyone plays each other twice home and away so as we have a balanced fair event before carrying on the Toilet Seat isn't the main prize and the Hub cap is.

Hunter403
23-04-2013, 05:29 PM
The season should see each team play each other team 4 times. Not 3. As MFKS said, it is hardly fair.

hawk
23-04-2013, 05:30 PM
gf is best. even the championship final playoff in engerland has reached epic staus. home and away is for teenz

My2BobsWorth
23-04-2013, 06:01 PM
First past the post is for orses

militiamon
23-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Agree with MFKS' points.

The only diff between winning a GF vs winning the league in the final round is that to win a GF you have to actually beat a couple of good teams. Best example of this is the 07/08 season, 4 teams could have been premiers in the last round. How could one of those teams say they were definitively better than the others "over the course of a season" when in the penultimate round they had equal/less points than the other teams?

Pains me to say this but Mariners were the best team this year, consistent throughout the season but more importantly they won the big games. Then again, I think there were quite a few teams that were clearly in transition. You can tell MV will be a powerhouse under Ange once he ****s off all the useless players.

Also not to say the Mariners aren't an embarrassment of a club, there's still 1001 reasons why they are, starting with the fact that they are struggling to exist due to a lack of community support in a year they came 2nd and won the championship.

hawk
23-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Pains me to say this but Mariners were the best team this year, consistent throughout the season but more importantly they won the big games. Then again, I think there were quite a few teams that were clearly in transition. You can tell MV will be a powerhouse under Ange once he ****s off all the useless players.
troll

coasties assed it & deserve nothin. Give a bunch of retards enough attempts & they'll jag a win. nothin more to it.

Zico
24-04-2013, 02:38 PM
How can the Hubcap event be considered a fair and balanced event anyway??

Teams play each other 3 times and due to perks in the draw you could get to visit tough away trips once and play a pile of teams at home like the Heart who can't win on the road. Not to mention some teams got 14 home games and others got 13. How is the current League system even fair??

You could argue CCM were disadvantaged in the Hub Cap race by playing WSW only once at home and WSW benefited by having a defacto home game against the Jets at Campbelltown in the regional fixtures where as CCM had to travel to Tassie and play Victree in an area Victree have been playing in for years developing support.

I have no drama if you wish to go for the first past the post angle but FFS fix the competition to every one plays each other once home and away or everyone plays each other twice home and away so as we have a balanced fair event before carrying on the Toilet Seat isn't the main prize and the Hub cap is.
It's not often at all that I agree with your thoughts MFKS but this time I think you have hit the nail on the head. Play 4 rounds not only equals a fairer system but also the more games that players and coaches are screaming for. The only reason it will never happen is that it would clash with the NRL and AFL with either a earlier start or later finish. Midweek games would be the only way out and GVE would cry like a bitch if that occured.

Pico
30-04-2013, 09:47 AM
David Davutovic names his 10 most influential people in Australian football

David Davutovic
Sunday Herald Sun
April 28, 2013 4:30AM

DAVID Davutovic's 2012 list of the most influential people in Australian football was compiled when the game was in crisis. A year on and much has changed.

1 DAVID GALLOP - FFA chief executive

2012 ranking: NA

GALLOP has probably made as many media appearances in his first eight months as his predecessor Ben Buckley did in six years and the game's visibility has never been greater. The former NRL chief has embraced the game with a metaphorical bear hug. He has proudly boasted about the game's rich heritage, its enormous potential, and made bold declarations such as football having overtaken cricket in popularity.

2 FRANK LOWY - FFA chairman

2012: 1

MANY would argue Lowy, 82, should be No.1 and 12 months ago it was a non-issue. The Westfield chief dealt with the Clive Palmer fiasco, ruthlessly replacing Gold Coast with Western Sydney. Lowy's face-to-face meeting with Nathan Tinkler saved Newcastle. But he's has barely been sighted recently and Gallop has filled the frontman role with aplomb. But Lowy is the main man behind the 2015 Asian Cup.

3 ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO - Sydney FC marquee

2012: NA

HAS made the biggest impact of any marquee home and abroad. Just this week respected magazine World Soccer rated the A-League in the top 20 leagues in world football (the criteria included profile, marquees and standard), ahead of the likes of Scotland and Qatar. His re-signing is huge, allowing FFA to market its new season around the Juventus and Italy legend.

4 KATE LUNDY - Federal Minister for Sport

2012: 2 (Senator Mark Arbib)

THE game is still reliant on taxpayers' money and luckily for FFA, both Labor and Liberal have recognised football's sporting and economic benefits. Federal and state governments will inject $60 million into the 2015 Asian Cup, a further $3.3 million annually, has relaxed the anti-siphoning laws which paved the way for the new $40 million-a-year TV deal. Government support of the Wanderers was critical.

5 HOLGER OSIECK - Socceroos coach

2012: 3

WHILE the game's health no longer hinges exclusively on World Cup qualification, the economic benefits of qualifying for Brazil 2014 are enormous. The Socceroos' fate will be decided in June, with coach Holger Osieck needing a minimum of two wins against Japan, Jordan and Iraq to have any chance of qualifying.

6 PATRICK DELANY - Fox Sports chief executive

SEVERAL years ago Fox Sports wouldn't entertain the notion of sharing football rights with SBS, then came Patrick Delany. A former Commonwealth Games hopeful who had little interest in football, he was thrilled with the A-League's rising numbers and sees the code playing a key role in Fox's broadcasting future.

7 TONY POPOVIC - Western Sydney coach

SO who was responsible for the Wanderers' extraordinary debut season? Victory has a thousand fathers, but if Lowy was the godfather then Popovic was "capo bastone" (underboss). Western Sydney was a club waiting to happen, but FFA had to get it right and the former Socceroo was the perfect choice. Like Ange Postecoglou, Popovic has a huge say in decisions made by his club.

8 CRAIG FOSTER - SBS analyst

2012: 7

IF he appears to rant and rave far less than he used to, that's because he does. Many of the issues he's championed (focusing on technique rather than physique at youth coaching level and coach education) have been resolved or at least improved. His influence off camera is arguably greater these days, as he has the ear of influential figures in Canberra and at FFA.

9 LOU STICCA - Managing director Tribal Sports Management

WHAT do David Beckham, Dwight Yorke, Kazu Miura, Alessandro Del Piero, Shinji Ono and Liverpool FC have in common? They were brought to Australia by the same guy. Lou Sticca is soccer's version of Don King and, having dabbled in club ownership and player agency, he's found his true niche in bringing the glitz into Australian football.

10 MARK BOSNICH - Fox Sports commentator

"BOZZA" has been the best thing to happen to Fox Sports, engaging football and non-football fans alike and adding an entertainment dimension the game lacked. But behind the larrikin, Bozza delivers a considered and respected opinion that drives debate and he's just as comfortable dining with a table of corporate heavyweights as he is sharing the bar with punters.

Bit surprised to see de bohun miss out.

Pico
30-04-2013, 09:50 AM
David Davutovic names the 10 people he believes can shape soccer's future in Australia

David Davutovic
Herald Sun
April 29, 2013 11:00AM

Today I reveal my list of 10 people who I believe will play a huge role in shaping football's future.

The only criteria for this list was that those who made yesterday's list of my 10 most influential people in Australian football were ineligible. Otherwise David Gallop, Tony Popovic and Craig Foster would all have featured.

Let's get through some of the unlucky names to miss out.

Socceroos and New York Red Bulls midfielder Tim Cahill is bound to play a key role in the game's future, although it's unclear which path he'll take when he eventually retires.

Former Melbourne Heart defender Curtis Good is a Socceroos captain in waiting, but he has to start playing first-team football with Newcastle United before he can be considered for Holger Osieck's squad.

But Good is a perfect pin-up boy for the next generation - level-headed, ambitious and well spoken.

Perth-born Dylan Tombides is the best talent this country has produced since Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka, but the West Ham attacker has fought a testicular cancer battle.

The brave 19-year-old is winning the battle and this season returned to the pitch and our thoughts are with him and the family.

Then there is Melbourne Heart's footy ops manager John Didulica, one of the most intelligent football minds in the business.

He has an opinion on most things football and a greater role beckons.

For those you who haven't seen yesterday's top 10, ensure you read it as it will provide greater clarity to this list.

1 Ange Postecoglou - Melbourne Victory coach

Stiff to miss out on yesterday's list as his influence stretches beyond coaching. He is one of the most visible football identities in Australia with his Fox Sports and ABC work and takes a huge interest in the game’s future. Genuinely has the game’s interest at heart and the power to influence.

2 Shinji Ono - Western Sydney marquee

His $600,000 season one salary may have been the wisest investment the A-League has made. Del Piero was worth every bit of his $3.5m, but Ono opens doors to our Asia a market that holds so much potential for football. With the Wanderers qualifying for the Asian Champions League, the benefits will be enormous and he will no doubt be used to promote the 2015 Asian Cup.

3 David Traktovenko - Sydney FC owner

His decision to re-sign Alessandro Del Piero and hand Frank Farina a long term deal indicates David Traktovenko is in for the long haul. A mysterious and reclusive figure, the Russian businessman has been an FC investor since day one and now bankrolls the club, which has posted losses nearing $40m in its eight years. FC's success is crucial for the league’s success and it's difficult to imagine where the club would be without his input.

4 Robbie Kruse - Socceroos and Fortuna Dusseldorf attacker

Shaping as the most important player in the Socceroos setup in the short to medium term and the kind of x-factor player capable of winning games off his own boot. But after his sensational breakthrough Bundesliga season the test will be whether he can continue that form next year.

5 Mark Schwarzer - Socceroos and Fulham keeper

Still a key player at the ripe old age of 40 but it's his post-playing career where his influence looms large. The articulate, business-minded and respected Mark Schwarzer has the potential to become Australia's Franz Beckenbauer - the German legend became a coach then administrator and board member after his career finished.

6 Graham Arnold - Central Coast coach

This season was the making of Arnie and not just because he won the A-League title. He overcame a number of challenges including beating old finals nemesis Ange Postecoglou on his way to the crown and the victory will do wonders for his self-confidence. He continues to raise the bar for local coaches alongside Postecoglou.

7 Tom Rogic - Socceroos and Celtic midfielder

A-League fans are barracking for Tom Rogic to become the A-League's first genuine star abroad. The game has a far bigger following then when the likes of Robbie Kruse and Tommy Oar left, hence Rogic's profile is bigger. But he also has the skills and level-headedness to make a mark at European club level and of course the Socceroos.

8 Lucas Neill - Socceroos captain

His best years may be behind him but the Oman World Cup qualifier only served to highlight his importance, with the Socceroos missing the skipper's organisation. But like Schwarzer, it's his post-playing career that is of more relevance for this list’s purposes. Lucas Neill has numerous business interests and while he is considering coaching, he may have a greater influence at board or administration level.

9 Anthony Di Pietro - Melbourne Victory chairman

Like Sydney FC's Traktovenko, Anthony Di Pietro has been involved with Victory since season one and has overseen many changes since assuming the chairmanship in January 2011. While mistakes have been made, Di Pietro has acted swiftly when required and the appointment of Postecoglou was a statement from the A-League's most powerful club. Di Pietro is growing in confidence and he’s in it for the long haul.

10 Brendan Schwab - FIFPro Asia chairman

While Brendan Schwab stepped down from the Australian PFA he is still influential behind the scenes and retains relevance with his FIFPro Asia role. Maligned by some at FFA, his role in defending the players' and club's rights during a shambolic few years (2009-2012) were pivotal and he'll be back playing a key role in future.

Will be interesting to see if Schwab ever makes the step from the PFA side to FFA, but I don't think so, I think he'll stay on the players side of the equation, just look to continue to progress internationally.

plague
30-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Can't believe MFKS didn't make either list.
Disgrace.

Bon
30-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Disgrace.

:lulz:

MFKS
30-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Disgrace.

I came in 11th

Your right its a ****ing disgrace:banghead::angry::roflz:

&1gest
30-04-2013, 04:58 PM
From SBS Twitter

Dino Kresinger, Tarek Elrich, Joey Gibbs and Rocky Visconte will not get new contracts with @wswanderersfc (https://twitter.com/wswanderersfc).

Grimario
30-04-2013, 05:09 PM
That dude confirmed as AU coach.

Adelaide United FC ‏@adelutd_fc 2m
BREAKING NEWS | Adelaide United is delighted to announce the appointment of Josep Gombau as the club's new coach. Details to come... #COYR

Thomas477
30-04-2013, 05:12 PM
From SBS Twitter

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]

Could see why people wanted to keep him. Why did we release a bloke who couldn't even get a look in with the eventual premiers? Thats the level of players we need.

Also, Gibbs or Visconte could be good pick ups.

Grimario
30-04-2013, 05:15 PM
If Goodwin leaves, could see us getting Visconte as a left footed wide player. Unless I am confusing him with someone else...

plague
30-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Could see why people wanted to keep him. Why did we release a bloke who couldn't even get a look in with the eventual premiers? Thats the level of players we need.

and how did that whole player cleanout end up?
Where did we finish again?

MFKS
30-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Yep picking up other teams unwanted garbage is just what we need to improve. FMD:banghead:

plague
30-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Yep picking up other teams unwanted garbage is just what we need to improve. FMD:banghead:

I don't think GVE is looking to add more players is he?
Isn't he too busy buggering up the ones we already have?
And don't ask Middleby for a hand, he's too busy giving away our leading goalscorers for free cause diddums wants a ****ing sea change.

Middleby out.

30-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Whichever idiot had the final say on giving that impersonater of a coach we have an additional year should be out and never to be given another job in sports administration for term of his natural life.

Pico
30-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Jets part ways with Lee Clark
Tuesday, 30 April 2013 4:08 PM

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00066326-leadimage.jpg

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets have parted ways with Strength and Conditioning Coach Lee Clark.

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby thanked Clark for his contribution to the Jets over the past two seasons.

“On behalf of the Newcastle Jets, I’d like to thank Lee for his services during his time with the Club and wish him all the best for the future,” Middleby said.

Clark spent two years at the Jets after joining the Club prior to the commencement of the 2011/12 season.

“I enjoyed my time working with the Jets and would like to pass on my best wishes to the Club and its players as they commence their preparations for the 2013/14 A-League season,” Clark said.

Looks like GVE's clean out is extending to the back room staff, makes perfect sense now, GVE never stood a chance he didn't have his own back room staff, lets give him another extension while we are at it. This might be the first in a few sackings I think after GVE's little rant at the end of the season about players and admin needing to do their jobs etc, shame the stats show he can't do his.

Was a knights cast off if i remember correctly, parachuted in after Bennett brought his boys to the knights.

militiamon
30-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Whichever idiot had the final say on giving that impersonater of a coach we have an additional year should be out and never to be given another job in sports administration for term of his natural life.

I still think it was a good decision tbh.

Feel for Tarek. Still a top bloke in my books, and a decent enough player.
Second plague's comments as well. Was Neville really any better this season? I don't think Neville's a shit player by any means, but that's what it looked like on game day.

I am loling a bit at those cougars who switched support from the Jets to WS just because he went there. I think he got less game time this season than he did last season with us.

Pico
30-04-2013, 06:21 PM
A-League football clubs lost close to $20 million in the season just completed, adding to the almost $27 million the teams lost in the 2011-12 season.

However, there is optimism the clubs – nine of which are privately owned, with another, the Western Sydney Wanderers, owned by the Football Federation Australia – will see improved financial results next season when a new broadcast deal begins.

The deal with Fox Sports Australia and SBS is worth $40 million annually for four seasons – double the value of the previous contract with Fox Sports.

The new broadcast deal will mean the central grant from the FFA to the clubs will rise from the current $1.9 million to $2.5 million or more, which it is hoped will at least cover player wages, although the FFA will soon enter negotiations with Professional Footballers Australia regarding a new enterprise bargaining arrangement.

It is understood that Melbourne Victory was the only club to record a small profit for the 2012-13 season, although Melbourne Heart and Adelaide United reportedly broke even.

Sydney FC recorded a large loss despite a season in which crowds rose due to the popularity of marquee player Alessandro Del Piero, as did Perth Glory, which was forced to play in a below-capacity home ground for much of the season as nib Stadium underwent refurbishment.

Grand finalists the Wanderers and champions the Central Coast Mariners also recorded losses of more than $1 million respectively, with the Mariners already moving to restructure under new majority owner Mike Charlesworth, who sacked chief executive John McKay last week.

Charlesworth, a British telecommunications company owner, is taking closer control of the club and has been concerned about the immediate financial future of the Mariners, which will eventually receive alternative revenue streams from its $40 million property development, which includes a hotel and office block, when it is completed within the next two years.

Charlesworth last week told the Australian Financial Review the Mariners may seek to not compete in the 2014 Asian Champions League because entering the competition costs the club about $300,000 in travel and other costs.

However, FFA chief executive David Gallop said the Mariners needed to look at the longer-term picture regarding the ACL.

“It is difficult now but the benefits of competing in Asia for Australian clubs will become even more apparent in five, 10 and 20 years’ time.”

The FFA is also in the market for a new digital partner after incumbent holder Optus could not come to terms with the sport’s governing body. A new partner is expected to be announced in May, although Optus could still extend its contract.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/league_season_score_down_UfyEAJU3a6IzQjBPsaNO9J

Still bleeding, hope tinks can keep the funding up, the new TV deal won't stop all those losses.

Interesting about the optus deal falling over, have had a long relationship wonder what brought it undone.

plague
30-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Yah, I'm not advocating a return to the Tarek days. I just bristle at the 20-20 hindsight of some on ere.
Blokes acting like we got a massive upgrade in some of those positions.
Scott Neville Josh Mitchell derp derp ****ing derp.
We were shit last year, we were promised a revolution, yet remained shit.

Middleby out.

MFKS
30-04-2013, 06:31 PM
I still think it was a good decision tbh.

Feel for Tarek. Still a top bloke in my books, and a decent enough player.
Second plague's comments as well. Was Neville really any better this season? I don't think Neville's a shit player by any means, but that's what it looked like on game day.

I am loling a bit at those cougars who switched support from the Jets to WS just because he went there. I think he got less game time this season than he did last season with us.

I am confused Militia?

Are you claiming the decision to give GVE a contract extension was a good decision. Coz you would have to be the only one outside of GVE's family in Newy to think so:sparring:

Pico
30-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Football Australia seeks deal for new era as Optus talks fail

John StensholtThe Australian Financial Review

Football Federation Australia has put its digital broadcast and platform of rights out to tender after it was unable to come to terms with incumbent rights-holder Optus.

The FFA is in talks with Telstra, Optus and Perform Media, which has rights to stream National Basketball League games, on a new digital rights agreement for four years from July 1 onwards, after Optus failed to A-League broker a deal during an exclusive negotiating period earlier this year.

The next digital rights will encompass the FFA website, footballaustralia.com.au, and the websites of the 10 A-League clubs in a joint venture with the FFA, which is seeking a four-year deal to follow the current two-year contract with Optus that expires on June 30.

The last club match under the current deal will take place on Sunday evening, when Western Sydney Wanderers play Central Coast Mariners or Melbourne Victory in the A-League grand final.

The next deal will also include streaming rights to a live A-League Friday night match from, next season onwards.

That match will be broadcast live on SBS2. SBS and Fox Sports Australia will also have live streaming rights, with the latter holding the live broadcast and digital rights to the remaining four A-League games every round, as well as Socceroos matches. Fox Sports is showing the matches through the FoxtelGo app.

Other content to be included in the deal will be matches such as the A-League all-star team playing Manchester United on July 20 at a sold-out ANZ Stadium in Sydney.

There have are also plans to launch a Socceroos or the FFA online TV channel, and eventually channels for all A-League clubs.

The FFA is also setto hold its inaugural FFA Cup 2014, featuring A-League sides and clubs from various state leagues around the country.

Although the value of a new digital deal will be a fraction of the $40 million Fox Sports Australia and SBS will pay FFA annually a for four years from 2013-14season to telecast the sport, negotiations come at a time when traffic to FFA websites has grown substantially. Average unique visitors for the month of March to FFA websites hit 800,000, up 60 per cent from the same period in 2012. Page impressions were up 80 per cent.

There have also Friday been more than the 200,000 downloads of the official FFA app, and newly launched mobile sites February contributed 28 per cent of all page views.

Kyle Patterson, the FFA's head of corporate affairs and communications, said while the numbers are still small compared to sports such as the AFL and NRL, which often average clos, to one million unique visitors on a weekly basis, they are growing strongly among younger audiences.

"The avid A-League fans in the 16-34 four-year age group have grown up in the era, so FFA needs to have a strong presence where the fans are; in web, apps, m-sites and a social media channels," Mr Patterson said.

SBS's A-League coverage will be a cornerstone of the station's re-branded SBS2 digital channel, which will be more heavily youth-focused.

Hopefully this might lead to better, more independent styled websites for the clubs, but not if telstra gets the gig.

With Foxtel so heavily involved in football broadcast rights I'd imagine that telstra will be looking at the HAL seriously so that the likes of Perform are limited in their content. Its bad business for Telstra if Foxtel's content is easily accessible from some IPTV provider like Perform.

militiamon
30-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Are you claiming the decision to give GVE a contract extension was a good decision. Coz you would have to be the only one outside of GVE's family in Newy to think so:sparring:

In the context of when the deal was made, and given that it provided us with at least some extra stability last season - yes. It was meant to provide GVE with more assurance to be able to make the changes he wanted for last season without an axe hanging over his head (or worse still the media speculation).

And at the end of the day 1 more year isn't such a long time to have to pay a contract out, there have been far worse situations in the past. If the club truly wanted him gone then the remaining time on his contract wouldn't be a major hurdle.

q-money
30-04-2013, 07:13 PM
neville is deadset honking, shit haircut and got pinged for at least one squillion foul throws

rofl at tarek being let go, WSW what a great family club

MFKS
30-04-2013, 07:29 PM
neville is deadset honking, shit haircut and got pinged for at least one squillion foul throws

rofl at tarek being let go, WSW what a great family club

That was Gallaway for the foul throws.

Neville got booked for time wasting 20 mins in at 0-0

q-money
30-04-2013, 07:34 PM
both have terrible haircuts, no doubt the handiwork of GV-zionist

Grimario
30-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Neville had a foul throw where he dropped the ball behind his head ffs. Against WSW, I think.

q-money
30-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Josep Gombau
http://smhttp.14409.nexcesscdn.net/806D5E/wordpress-L/images/super-mario-bros-movie-goomba.jpg

plague
30-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Neville had a foul throw where he dropped the ball behind his head ffs. Against WSW, I think.

Spot on. Heres proof.
In fact, heres a 12 minute video of the A-League bloopers that the Poms are laughing about.
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/163971/rejoice-people-for-the-201213-australian-a-league-bloopers-are-upon-us-video.html

and yes the Jets feature heavily, and theres a shoe.

Pico
01-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Jets look to state government to pitch in

Tuesday, 30 April 2013 1:13 PM

The playing surface at Hunter Stadium wasn't a pretty sight this season. While the Newcastle Jets were battling to stay in finals contention, the green patchwork quilt wasn’t much help to their cause.

The pitch was re-surfaced before Newcastle’s high-profile friendly with David Beckham’s LA Galaxy in 2010 but limited funding meant only portions of the grass were relaid, rather than the whole pitch.

Fixing the surface is out of the club’s hands, according to Jets CEO Robbie Middleby, who says it’s a matter for Hunter Venues, which owns the stadium, and the state government.

“It’s mainly between the state government and Hunter Venues,” Middleby said. “We pay a fee to Hunter Venues for the ground hire but it’s going to cost close to $1 million to resurface the whole pitch.

“Ultimately it comes down to funding, who’s going to find the money.

“It’s the same with the Knights. We want to lobby the government with Hunter Venues, because it’s such a beautiful stadium now with the new grandstand. There are plans to lobby the government but it’s ultimately Hunter Venues’ responsibility.”

Middleby admitted the surface will become more of a priority, after Hunter Stadium was named as one of the host grounds for the 2015 AFC Asian Cup but said even this season, it hasn’t been as bad as it appears on TV.

“The situation now as well with the 2015 Asian Cup, and Newcastle being one of the major venues, this will become more important, with the standards expected by the AFC.

“It looks worse than it is. The pitch doesn’t look good from a viewer’s perspective but actually when you’re down on the ground it’s not that bad, the only concern is the hardness. In terms of the roll of the ball it’s not as bad as it looks but there are definitely different qualities of grass and the webbing underneath.

“It’s not ideal but it’s not as bad as some grounds. Given what he’s got to work with the curator here does a pretty good job. But it does definitely need relaying.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Jets-look-to-state-government-to-pitch-in/66318

Like the state government is going to put in a new pitch, they are too busy throwing money at looking at a new venue for western sydney and moore park redevelopment.

belchardo
01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
like the pitch contributed to our pathetic performances.

Blackmac79
01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Apparently we are going to send a team to the Singapore cup thing.

Anyone know anymore.

q-money
01-05-2013, 02:56 PM
hopefully GVE will go with them to see the boss in person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb7FgSzeGqg

Imyourhero
01-05-2013, 04:16 PM
its 6 a side

Pico
01-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Apparently we are going to send a team to the Singapore cup thing.

Anyone know anymore.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-to-take-part-in-Singapores-Soccer-Sixes/65600

Singapore Sixes not the Singapore cup.

So 10 players going with Biraz & Rubez confirmed already.

Wonder who else we will be taking , Kennedy. Cooper & Mitchell all out of the running, not to mention Chapman, Taggart, Brillante. Hoole & Duncan all in the running for U-20 which could rule them out.

My squad would be

Regs's
Brown
Kale
rubez
Birraz
Hoole
Galloway
Caravella
Bridges
Pepper

Jeterpool
01-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Spot on. Heres proof.
In fact, heres a 12 minute video of the A-League bloopers that the Poms are laughing about.
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/163971/rejoice-people-for-the-201213-australian-a-league-bloopers-are-upon-us-video.html

and yes the Jets feature heavily, and theres a shoe.

That was hilarious. Great find!

Grimario
02-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Ugwu brace, Goodwin gets 90

Gozie double seals 3-1 win at QPR

QPR 1 (Shariff 7)
Reading 3 (Taylor 51, Ugwu 68, 80)

A brace from Gozie Ugwu secured a 3-1 friendly win over Queens Park Rangers in West London on Tuesday afternoon.

QPR boasted a line up that included the likes of Yun Suk-Young, Samba Diakite and Tal Ben Haim - but a brace from substitute Ugwu settled the win after Jake Taylor cancelled out Rangers' seventh minute opener.

21-year-old full back Craig Goodwin, who has been allowed to train with the Royals by A-League side Newcastle Jets, played a solid 90 minutes down the left flank for a young Reading side at the Hoops' training ground - watched by first team manager Nigel Adkins.

The Royals were slow out of the blocks and were punished early on. Frankie Jay's free kick forced Jon Henly into an excellent fingertips save, before the same player picked out Mo Shariff from a corner to head home.

It was almost two minutes later; Shariff dragged his shot past the post before Tom Hitchcock was denied by a clearance off the line. Shariff's cross clipped the bar shortly before half time and Chris Cummins' side went into the dressing room a goal down.

Reading improved after the break and took control of the friendly. Dominic Samuel shot just wide before the Royals got back on level terms from a corner. Angus MacDonald nodded back to Jake Taylor, who slotted past Radek Cerny from close range.

Rangers almost made an immediate response as they hit the woodwork, but the Royals were generally on top and went ahead mid-way through the half. Gozie Ugwu, on as a substitute, out-muscled his marker and struck home well inside the box.

QPR had to rely on Cerny to produce a number of excellent saves to deny a third Reading goal - which eventually did come with ten minutes left on the clock.

Samuel linked up well with Ugwu, who clipped the ball over a defender and volley into the net from 12 yards for the third. All in all, a productive afternoon for the young players and an encouraging win.

Speaking last week on Craig Goodwin, Nigel Adkins said: "I think he’s done really well in the couple of weeks that I’ve seen him, it’s important that we give him an opportunity in the game. Football now is glowing global, the world has become a smaller place in respects of travel, scouts and players are coming from all around the world."

American goalkeeper Aleksandar Gogic, who is set to sign professional forms at Hogwood Park this summer, was an unused substitute.
Reading: Henly, MacDonald, Sweeney, Partridge, Goodwin, D’Ath, Taylor, Webb, Losasso, Samuel, Obita

Subs: Gogic, Triallist, McLennan, Ugwu

QPR: Cerny, Harriman, Trialist, Ben Haim, Yun, Diakite, Jay, Sutherland, Andrade, Shariff, Hitchcock.

Subs: Trani, Sendles-White, Champion, Ehmer, Hewitt

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/goodwin-set-to-feature-30413-800398.aspx#1zlep0WWVIk6AOuT.99

GazFish35
02-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Speaking last week on Craig Goodwin, Nigel Adkins said: "I think he’s done really well in the couple of weeks that I’ve seen him, it’s important that we give him an opportunity in the game. Football now is glowing global, the world has become a smaller place in respects of travel, scouts and players are coming from all around the world."

That's deep man.
Where the fuk does he think Australa is?

My2BobsWorth
05-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Toohey in the Tele saying Jets about to sign ex Fury Mark Hughes. South Korean based Eddy Bosnar wanted too much cash. Members toyboy set to sign senior contract.

Jeterpool
05-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah why pay to get good players. Ffs

Sydney will probably go get Bosnar now.

belchardo
05-05-2013, 05:56 PM

jets management motto isn't it?

MFKS
05-05-2013, 06:24 PM
THE Western Sydney Wanderers will soon be mentioned in the same breath as Collingwood and the Brisbane Broncos as one of the biggest sporting brands in Australia, according to the club's chief executive Lyall Gorman.

It's a bold statement, especially when you consider Collingwood were founded in 1892 and the Wanderers just last year.

However, Gorman makes a compelling argument.

The western Sydney region is one of the most culturally diverse in Australia, but the roughly two million people who live in the area are united by the language of football.

"There are 100,000 registered footballers, all of whom represent this same rich, multicultural tradition and heritage," Gorman said. "And they love football. It's the second language in their homes because of this multicultural diversity.

"It's a very proud region and for the first time it actually has a glue, a soul, a sense of spirit, an identity that allows that multicultural diversity to come together and celebrate the west in the form of the Wanderers.

"This is not being disrespectful, but if you look at the Bulldogs, Tigers, Eels, Sharks, Dragons, they don't have two million people.

"I have no doubt that if this club stays grounded and centred and maintains its brand and its collaborative approach to make a true difference in the western Sydney region, it can be on the same pedestal as those two iconic clubs (Broncos and Collingwood) as one of the biggest sporting clubs in any code in Australia."

The club will also receive a huge boost next season through their participation in the Asian Champions League.

"We'll be representing the western Sydney region in the ACL, which is going to bring China, Japan and Korea to our back door," Gorman said.

"And of course we'll take western Sydney into China, Japan and Korea.

"Other sports can't do that, there isn't that capacity. So we're blessed that we're a truly global game that has the capacity to take a brand into Asia and even Europe."

Then there's the Shinji Ono factor. The club couldn't have anticipated when they signed the Japanese star at the beginning of their debut season that a year later they would be competing in the ACL.

The unexpected bonus allows the club to enter a new and very lucrative market. "Is it an added bonus right now? Absolutely," Gorman said.

"Everyone has seen the quality of the man on and off the field and the fact that we'll be bringing Japan to us and taking our club to Japan, let alone across Asia because he is revered across Asia, is a wonderful bonus for us.",

GazFish35
05-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Just keeping present in the papers I'd reckon.

They've let Dino go.... I have a horrible feeling the jets might go after him.
He's ineffective enough to fit right in.

militiamon
05-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Toohey in the Tele saying Jets about to sign ex Fury Mark Hughes. South Korean based Eddy Bosnar wanted too much cash. Members toyboy set to sign senior contract.

iirc he was one of the best if not the best of the Fury players.

Surely this must be Middleby at work here. The two must have kept in decent contact post-Fury. Supposedly we tried to sign him back when Branko was around, I don't even remember that.

GazFish35
06-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Didn't he play for barca and Bayern?

Has some pedigree.

Pico
06-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Hopefully it works out better then when we signed Alex Read & Chris Grossman.

joel31
06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Didn't he play for barca and Bayern?

Has some pedigree.
Different Mark Hughes

joel31
06-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Sydney will probably go get Bosnar now.
With all their space under the salary cap

Jeterpool
06-05-2013, 11:27 AM
With all their space under the salary cap

Exactly. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment if anybody thinks i'm being serious.

Thomas477
06-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Hopefully it works out better then when we signed Alex Read & Chris Grossman.

TBF, Grossman was simply an injury cover for Kanta.

And methinks Joel31 missed both points of sarcasm.

Grimario
06-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Jets kick off 2013/14 Membership

As the Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets returned to pre-season training on Monday, they also kicked off phase one of the 2013/14 Membership campaign.

All Members who had opted in to an auto-renew Membership will receive a letter from the Club this week about the process for renewing their Membership.

The Membership communication includes a minor price increase, which reflects an extra home game in season 2013/14.

Once again, the Jets are expected to boast the most affordable Membership prices of all 10 teams in the A-League competition.

For the 2013/14 season Hunter Stadium will host 14 home matches (13 games in 2012/13) and Jets supporters can secure a reserved seat at all home matches with an Adult Community Reserved Membership valued at $130, that is $9.29 per match.

General Admission Memberships will be available for $120 for adults and $60 for juniors, while a family (two adults, one junior) can watch the Jets for an entire season for as little as $255, which is $6.07 per person, per match.

The Jets hosted 13 home matches at Hunter Stadium in 2012/13, attracting a Club-record average attendance of 13,388.

As well as having an extra home game to attend this season, all Members will receive a cap, membership card, lanyard, key ring, magnetic fixture list, bumper sticker pack and a $10 Merchandise voucher for the Hunter Sports Superstore.

Gold and Silver category Junior Members will also receive a Newcastle Jets junior pack.

Once again, Members are able to pay for their Membership over a 10-month period using the Club’s monthly payment plan.

Jets fans unable to get to Hunter Stadium, can show their support for the Club with the new Adult and Junior Supporter Memberships available for $75 and $40 respectively.

Membership is the best and most affordable way to support the Newcastle Jets. CLICK HERE to register your interest in becoming a Jets Member, or update your details if you were a Member in 2012/13.

All remaining Members will be sent their renewal packs in early June when the Club officially launches its 2013/14 Membership campaign.

A price increase to make us sit through one more game of the crap football that GVE preaches? **** that, definitely dropping my memberships now.

hawk
06-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Once again, the Jets are expected to boast the most affordable Membership prices of all 10 teams in the A-League competition.

fair play. we pay for what we get.

06-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Jets kick off 2013/14 Membership

A price increase to make us sit through one more game of the crap football that GVE preaches? **** that, definitely dropping my memberships now.

You have not done this yet ?.

MFKS
06-05-2013, 09:03 PM
His the poor Member thinking about upgrading his Membership class to get the **** out of the sun and into the western Stand so he can pay these ****s more to **** things up and you have blokes like Grimario wanting to bail on us.

No ****ing fair.

Why should he not suffer like the rest of us???

Do I have to forgo the luxury of shaded seat to part sponsor your Membership so you can sit through the same shit and suffer like the rest of us??

YouDontEscapeThatEasily#
:rolleyes:

plague
06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Nowt else to do on weekends in Summer.
Yeah **** it I'm in.

Cheers,
Plague.

Grimario
06-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Do I have to forgo the luxury of shaded seat to part sponsor your Membership so you can sit through the same shit and suffer like the rest of us??

If you want to do that, sure... I will suffer through games like everyone else.

GazFish35
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Different Mark Hughes

Sweet, must be the guy who played for the knights!

MFKS
06-05-2013, 09:59 PM
If you want to do that, sure... I will suffer through games like everyone else.

So name your terms!!

Grimario
06-05-2013, 09:59 PM
So name your terms!!

Upgrade me and the missus to gold members :gent:

MFKS
06-05-2013, 10:14 PM
So how much is that gonna set me back??

Don't forget I am planning on starting my own crew of Eshay wannabe Ultras to raise hell at Stade de Newy this season and will need to save a few bucks to get these kids in on the cut price holligan wannabe memberships

:rof::whistling:

Looks like my plans for the Kale Wankfest Tifo to be flown by chopper over Stade De Newy I was planning may be put on hold

Pico
07-05-2013, 09:04 AM
The Mariners are hoping they can pull some out-of-town support to Bluetongue Stadium for the first leg against Guangzhou on May 15.

Turnbull said he will pen a letter to the supporter groups from the three other NSW A-League teams, urging them to get behind the Mariners as they aim for the quarter-finals.

''We are happy if they wear their club colours, and in fact it would be a great sign of solidarity of the A-League if there were three sets of Australian colours,'' he said.

www.smh.com.au/sport/football/bright-lights-will-have-to-wait-until-after-mariners-asian-league-campaign-0130506-2j3f5.html#ixzz2SYJFq7eI

:wtf:

belchardo
07-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Bright lights will have to wait until after Mariners' Asian league campaign

Three of Australian football's best young talents could be trading in Gosford for the bright lights of the UEFA Champions League and Europa League next season.

Outstanding defender Trent Sainsbury is the subject of interest from FC Basel, who are closing in on their fourth straight Swiss Super League title. Across the border in France, former Ligue 1 champions Lille are preparing bids for goalkeeper Mathew Ryan and striker-cum-winger Bernie Ibini.

But club chairman Peter Turnbull insists the trio won't be going anywhere before the two legs of the Mariners' Asian Champions League round-of-16 tie against Guangzhou Evergrande have been completed later this month.

''There's obviously interest in those three players and, on their European holiday, I'd say they'll probably drop into those very places,'' Turnbull said. ''At this stage, it's just interest, but we'll wait and see what happens. Once our Champions League commitments are finalised, they'll head over. Basel are very keen to look at Trent, but they know our itinerary.''

Sainsbury has been linked to Bolton and Southampton in recent weeks, with Bolton already tabling a deal worth $560,000 for his services. However, with the 21-year-old included in this week's Socceroos training camp in Gosford, top-tier football seems essential if he wants to make next year's World Cup squad.

Basel only missed out on making the final of this season's Europa League after bowing out in the semi-final against Chelsea last Friday. However, if they can hold on to first place in their league - they are now sitting three points clear of Zurich's Grasshoppers - they will qualify for next season's Champions League.

Basel has a salient connection with Australian football, primarily through Scott Chipperfield, who spent a decade at St Jakob-Park, racking up 269 appearances - fifth on the club's all-time list.

Another ''Aussie'', Perth-raised Ivan Ergic (who represented Serbia internationally), is ninth on the all-time list with 202 appearances.

Sainsbury's Mariners teammate Mile Sterjovski also spent three seasons at Basel, winning the league in 2005-06. Sterjovski also forms a link with Lille, where he spent four seasons in his first move outside Australia.

Lille are still looking for a long-term replacement for French international keeper Mickael Landreau, who departed a year ago, potentially giving Ryan hope of playing regular football. If Ibini ends up at Grand Stade Lille Metropole, while versatility is in his favour he would have to compete with players such as Chelsea star Salomon Kalou for a starting berth.

The Mariners are hoping they can pull some out-of-town support to Bluetongue Stadium for the first leg against Guangzhou on May 15.

Turnbull said he will pen a letter to the supporter groups from the three other NSW A-League teams, urging them to get behind the Mariners as they aim for the quarter-finals.

''We are happy if they wear their club colours, and in fact it would be a great sign of solidarity of the A-League if there were three sets of Australian colours,'' he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/bright-lights-will-have-to-wait-until-after-mariners-asian-league-campaign-20130506-2j3f5.html#ixzz2SZ4YfY3C

hope they all go. good for the national team, bad for the mariners. win-win really. it might even be good for their careers.

and seriously, the two teams either side of you hate your guts, so you ask for their fans to turn up? wearing their own team colours? these guys are just so incredible.

EDIT: woops, just read pico's post. i'll leave this up as it gives the whole article.

Blackmac79
07-05-2013, 02:51 PM
I was originally going to offended the mentally and physically disabled by comparing them to the mariners. I have decided that is wrong.

This is much worse than that.

Pico
07-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Foxtel All Stars Top 35 as selected by fans
Tuesday, 7 May 2013 11:50 AM

The top 35 players selected by fans for the inaugural Foxtel A-League All Stars match have been revealed today.

The All Stars will debut against Manchester United at ANZ Stadium, Sydney, on 20 July this year.

In the first stage of All Star selection, over 30,000 votes were cast by fans who were able to choose from all 10 A-League clubs in picking 15 player squads. Fans were also able to select their preferred formation.

The fans vote accounts for 50 per cent of the final 18-man squad selected from all eligible players who will take on the English Champions in July.

The top players in each positional category are:

Goalkeeper: Mat Ryan (Central Coast Mariners)
Defender: Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Western Sydney Wanderers)
Midfielder: Shinji Ono (Western Sydney Wanderers)
Striker: Alessandro Del Piero (Sydney FC)

The most popular formation on the fan voting was 4-4-2.

The Foxtel A-League All Stars Expert Panel, accounting for 20 per cent of the overall vote, will next take charge of the squad’s evolution with key selections set to take place in the coming weeks.

Foxtel A-League All Stars Coach Ange Postecoglou will then use his 10 per cent voting right before including his three coach select players to make up the 18-man squad to face Manchester United on 20 July.

With the 20 per cent Player vote via the PFA Team of the Year already taken into account excitement is building for the announcement of the inaugural Foxtel A-League All Stars.

The announcement of the Foxtel A-League All Stars Coaching support team will be announced next week on Monday, 13 May, including an assistant coach, goalkeeper coach and medical and support team.

The top 35 players in order of fan voting

Goalkeepers

1.Mathew Ryan (Central Coast Mariners) / 2. Ante Covic (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 3. Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United) / 4. Michael Theo (Brisbane Roar) / 5. Nathan Coe (Melbourne Victory)

Defenders

1.Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 2. Pedj Bojic (Central Coast Mariners) / 3. Patrick Zwaanswijk (Central Coast Mariners) / 4. Adama Traore (Melbourne Victory) / 5. Michael Beauchamp (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 6. Lucas Neill (Sydney FC) / 7. Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar) / 8. Trent Sainsbury (Central Coast Mariners) / 9. Michael Thwaite (Perth Glory) / 10. Joshua Rose (Central Coast Mariners)

Midfielders

1. Shinji Ono (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 2. Thomas Broich (Brisbane Roar) / 3. Youssouf Hersi (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 4. Michael McGlinchey (Central Coast Mariners) / 5. Aaron Mooy (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 6. Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory) / 7. Dario Vidosic (Adelaide United) / 8. Marcos Flores (Melbourne Victory) / 9. Richard Garcia (Melbourne Heart) / 10. Marcelo Carrusca (Adelaide United)

Strikers

1. Alessandro Del Piero (Sydney FC) / 2. Marco Rojas (Melbourne Victory) / 3. Emile Heskey (Newcastle Jets) / 4. Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory) / 5. Daniel McBreen (Central Coast Mariners) / 6. Besart Berisha (Brisbane Roar) / 7. Jeremy Brockie (Wellington Phoenix) / 8. Shane Smeltz (Perth Glory) / 9. Mark Bridge (Western Sydney Wanderers) / 10. Bernie Ibini (Central Coast Mariners)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/foxtel-all-stars-top-35-as-selected-by-fans/66763

1 Player, who's resting in England & wont play shows how well the GVE revolution is going, quick give him another extension before we lose him.

Grimario
07-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Clearly voted for by muppets. Lucas ****ing Neill and Marcos Flores are in there!!! Even our turds were better than that pair. Birraz missing out is a travesty.

militiamon
07-05-2013, 04:54 PM
It goes to show though that we are the most unfashionable side in the league right now (alongside Wellington Phoenix).

Birighitti is good, but I'd also say that Ryan, Covic, Galekovic and Theo are better keepers at the moment (though Coe is a definite gee up).

parksey
07-05-2013, 05:05 PM
lucas neill is the captain of australia

Grimario
07-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Yeah, it was "All Star" voting, not "who played the best this season". Surprised Emerton isn't in there, to be honest.

belchardo
07-05-2013, 05:25 PM
that seems like a really complicated way to pick a team.

q-money
07-05-2013, 05:45 PM
http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/document/00001286-source.jpg

how about you go and **** yourself

furns
07-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Allow me to post a response from the F3MDR

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29433100.jpg

q-money
07-05-2013, 05:55 PM
i hope they cop a pohanging

Blackmac79
07-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Furns saved me the effort.

MFKS
07-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Whats say we send them back a pile of mail giving a detailed response to why we won't be accepting their invitation???
Emails can easily be deleted. Make the buggers open the mail

belchardo
07-05-2013, 06:43 PM
first sentence, fifth paragraph. that does basically say "yes, we know we aren't going to get past this stage" doesn't it? i thought each stage after this is home and away.

GazFish35
07-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Oh FFS.

gd___
07-05-2013, 08:59 PM
'We are happy if they wear their club colours, and in fact it would be a great sign of solidarity of the A-League if there were three sets of Australian colours,'' he said.

So he is saying that if fans turn up from Sydney, Western Sydney, Newcastle plus all the Mariners fans you still only get three sets of fans. They do understand their fan base.

hawk
07-05-2013, 10:05 PM
not when your standing with the away fans.... go gangbangzooooo

MFKS
07-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I will show them how much I care. I won't even bother watching the game at all. **** them.

I will just catch the highlights for a laff on Fox Sports News

boz-monaut
08-05-2013, 12:24 AM
http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/document/00001286-source.jpg

how about you go and **** yourself
I would sooner undergo gender reassignment surgery than support the Mariners

cutting open your penis and turn it into a vagina is preferable to standing alongside the marinators

front2
08-05-2013, 12:49 AM
I would sooner undergo gender reassignment surgery than support the Mariners

cutting open your penis and turn it into a vagina is preferable to standing alongside the marinators
And chew on Marcels Lipps

Pico
08-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Del Piero caught in All Stars tug-of-war

A three-way showdown is looming between Football Federation Australia, Sydney FC and Alessandro Del Piero over the star forward's availability for the match between the A-League All Stars and Manchester United at ANZ Stadium on July 20.

The 38-year-old Italian is being widely promoted as the star attraction for the A-League side, but it appears he's unlikely to play against the world's biggest club. Instead, Del Piero - and the entire Sydney FC squad - are expected to be preparing for a friendly match in Japan.

It is understood Del Piero's staff have put the final touches on a match for Sydney FC against J-League side Sagan Tosu on July 24. Del Piero's profile in Japan is enormous, where the Serie A - courtesy of trailblazers such as ''Kazu'' Miura and Hidetoshi Nakata - remains extremely popular.

In June last year, Del Piero played for Vegalta Sendai in a charity match to raise funds for those affected by the 2011 tsunami and earthquake. He also put his name to a charity T-shirt drive that raised more than $300,000 for the cause.
Advertisement

His personal company operates a full-time office in Tokyo and his marketing team have been angling to take Sydney FC to Japan for some time. The Sky Blues won’t be missing out either, with their coffers set to swell via a six-figure match fee.

But having heavily used Del Piero’s image in promotional material for the All Stars match, the FFA will be fuming if he fails to show up for the sold-out event. On Tuesday, Del Piero attracted the most votes of any forward in an online fan poll to help determine the make-up of the side.

FFA chief executive David Gallop hasn’t given up hope of Del Piero showing up. ‘‘The question of availability is something we are working through at the moment. We certainly haven’t ruled out any players at this stage,’’ Gallop said.

‘‘The fans have voted strongly to see Alessandro Del Piero in the All Stars team and that’s no surprise. He came with a huge reputation and lived up to it.

‘‘The same applies to Shinji Ono and Emile Heskey. These marquee players are understandably very popular. The fans want to see them in the All Stars and so do we.’’

Also, Johnny Warren medallist Marco Rojas will be in Europe, most likely after joining Stuttgart, while Borussia Monchengladbach and Werder Bremen are on high alert.

Several Australian players may also withdraw to ensure their participation in the East Asian Cup, which begins on the same night in Korea. Fresh from a magnificent season at Wellington Phoenix – bagging a club record 16 goals – Jeremy Brockie won’t be available for the clash either. He will be on loan to Major League Soccer club Toronto FC, managed by Brockie’s former All Whites teammate, Ryan Nelson.

Meanwhile, Brisbane Roar midfielder Massimo Murdocca has all but sealed a move to Melbourne Heart after struggling to hold down a starting berth this season.

However, Heart could lose player of the season, Richard Garcia, who is weighing up a move home after Perth Glory made a strong play for his services. Brisbane also look to be parting company with two of their top attacking players, Ben Halloran and Mitch Nichols.

Halloran is closing in on a move to Fortuna Dusseldorf, who have identified the former Gold Coast United junior as a potential replacement for Bayer Leverkusen-bound forward Robbie Kruse.

Out-of-contract Nichols has been courted by Sydney FC, but he would prefer Europe.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/del-piero-caught-in-all-stars-tugofwar-20130507-2j5tq.html#ixzz2Se3lJcfo

So the All-Stars are going to be the left over's of those not good enough for the east Asian cup, the marquee's that might be in the country, left over's who missed the young Socceroos & players from clubs who haven't gone on preseason tours, awesome, looks like the jets might still have a strong contingent with the like of Neville & Mitchell shoe-ins with that selection criteria.

joel31
08-05-2013, 10:43 AM
lucas neill is the captain of australia
He's done nothing for the A-League

joel31
08-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Birras and Goodwin should've been there

De-Champ
08-05-2013, 02:08 PM
So the All-Stars are going to be the left over's of those not good enough for the east Asian cup, the marquee's that might be in the country, left over's who missed the young Socceroos & players from clubs who haven't gone on preseason tours, awesome, looks like the jets might still have a strong contingent with the like of Neville & Mitchell shoe-ins with that selection criteria.

That is the problem of playing an all star team as opposed to a club side.

GazFish35
08-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Sydney are the FFA.
whats the issue?

Rocky
08-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Would only turn up to the Mariners game to sit with the away team support

seldom
09-05-2013, 03:18 AM
so mitch nichols being chased by shitney now...fvck I hate these cvnts...ffa to bring in unlimited interchange next year and shitney to have 15 or 16 on the bench

Grimario
09-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Bench? Sydney to be allowed 15 or 16 on the pitch more like it.

furns
09-05-2013, 12:32 PM
so mitch nichols being chased by shitney now...fvck I hate these cvnts...ffa to bring in unlimited interchange next year and shitney to have 15 or 16 on the benchI thought they hated him?

Jeterpool
09-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I thought they hated him?

I thought that was most of the A-League

militiamon
09-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I thought they hated him?

Ya, maybe, like, last season furns. Jeez, get with the program.

:gent:

MFKS
10-05-2013, 02:20 AM
VALENTINE Phoenix are giving suspended former Olyroo Troy Hearfield a connection to football as he awaits his fate after testing positive to a recreational drug.
See your ad here

Hearfield is provisionally suspended after he failed a test while with the Central Coast Mariners following their round-four A-League match against Melbourne Heart in October.

The 25-year-old made brief appearances off the bench in Central Coast’s next two games before the positive test came to light.

The former Newcastle Jet, who has played 117 A-League games in seven seasons, asked to be released from his Mariners contract in February.

He is still awaiting the findings of a tribunal hearing held in late March and faces a ban of between one and five years which is likely to be backdated to the start of his provisional suspension.

The midfielder, who lives in Charlestown, has been training with Valentine. The club held hopes, especially in pre-season, of having him in their side.

Hearfield’s agent, Tony Rallis, confirmed his client was training with Valentine.

‘‘He knows people there and he was just trying to keep fit,’’ Rallis said.

Hearfield is only the second A-League player to return a positive test for a banned substance. The other is former Socceroo Stan Lazaridis, who took a prescription hair-loss drug in 2007.

Rallis said Hearfield was a victim of circumstance and the wait for a decision from Football Federation Australia on his client’s future had been frustrating.

‘‘They haven’t come back to us. We’re none the wiser,’’ he said.

He said Hearfield would not comment.

Valentine coach Lindsay Tapp said Hearfield was ‘‘just having a kick with us’’.

‘‘He knew some people at the club and came along one night,’’ Tapp said. ‘‘He enjoyed the training session and kept coming back.’’

Tapp said the possibility of Hearfield playing with Valentine depended on the outcome of the hearing.

An FFA spokesperson said the governing body’s policy was not to comment about anti-doping cases unless and until such matters were completed.

The spokesperson said there was no obstacle to Hearfield training with a club.

Hearfield played for the Jets in the 2007-08 championship-winning season but was dropped for the grand final.

He moved to Wellington Phoenix, where he played three seasons before joining the Mariners.

Would it be appropriate or crossing the line to turn up to Valentine training and throw a couple of more pies at him???

seldom
10-05-2013, 03:11 AM
Good ole Valentine Pillmix

OmeletteDuFromage
10-05-2013, 01:53 PM
THE Roar have failed in their bid to re-sign Mitch Nichols, with the attacking midfielder opting to link with former Brisbane coach Ange Postecoglou at Melbourne Victory.

Sources last night told The Courier-Mail that Nichols had agreed to terms with the Victory, ending a six-season stint with the Roar that included 125 A-League appearances.

Brisbane coach Mike Mulvey had been confident of keeping the one-time Socceroo, and delayed contract talks until the end of the recently completed 2012-13 season.

But the move seems to have backfired, with Postecoglou having swooped for the services of the 24-year-old Palm Beach product.

Nichols played his best football under Postecoglou, having been a key member of the Roar's back-to-back championship-winning squads.

It was well known that Nichols' preference was to head to Europe, but after a mixed season at the Roar under Rado Vidosic and then Mulvey, another season in the A-League won't do him any harm.

The departure of Nichols follows hot on the heels of last week's revelation that fellow midfielder Massimo Murdocca will also leave the Roar to join Melbourne Heart.

The Roar are expected to lose attacker Ben Halloran to German club Fortuna Dusseldorf, while midfielder Steve Lustica is set to return to Croatian club Hajduk Split.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-victory-coach-ange-postecoglou-lures-mitch-nichols-away-from-brisbane-roar/story-fnec4zuc-1226638949528

MFKS
10-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Northern NSW Football (NNSWF) Chief Executive Officer David Eland and Football Federation Australia (FFA) Chief Executive Officer, David Gallop have joined forces in securing a meeting with Premier Barry O’Farrell and Minister for Sport and Recreation Graham Annesley to discuss a new home of football in Northern NSW.

The meeting will afford the opportunity for NNSWF and FFA to provide both the Premier and Minister with a briefing regarding the proposed establishment of the Lake Macquarie Regional Football Facility.

Having recently pledged his allegiance to the FFA ‘Grounds for Complaint’ campaign, a grassroots initiative that aims to give a voice to Australia’s football community to raise concerns about the chronic shortage of quality fields, training facilities, floodlights and change rooms, Mr. Gallop has voiced the importance of a new home of football in Northern NSW.

“Facilities are fundamental to the growth of football in Northern NSW, one of the key heartlands of the game in Australia," said Mr. Gallop.

“I commend David Eland and his team at Northern NSW Football for developing a comprehensive plan for the proposed Lake Macquarie Regional Football Facility.

“Our energy now goes towards securing the funding to bring this project to life. As the number one participation sport in Australia, football deserves top class facilities to serve its participants and ensure the game’s long term health.”

Mr. Eland intends to specifically outline how the proposed facility and ensuing programs and services will assist the government to achieve their stated objectives.

“The proposed facility aims to increase football participation rates and reduce the sport’s heavy reliance on player registration fees as well as provide identified players with access to an elite facility that is conducive to high level skill development,” said Mr. Eland.

“In addition, wider benefits which complement the Government’s State Plan include increased opportunities for people with a disability, keeping people healthy and active, the prevention and reduction of crime, making it easier for people to be involved in their communities and enhancing cultural, creative, sporting and recreational opportunities,” Mr. Eland concluded.

NNSWF and Lake Macquarie City Council are currently seeking $7.3million funding from the State Government through the Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund, while the total project cost is estimated at $11.3 million.

Confirmation of the meeting comes as Mr. Eland received a letter of support from Swansea Member of Parliament Garry Edwards following an initial Community Club Support Campaign in which NNSWF collated Letters of Support to local MPs from NNSWF Member Clubs..

MFKS
10-05-2013, 04:59 PM
CHAMPION Central Coast Mariners defender Patrick Zwaanswijk, 38, has confirmed he will retire from professional football following the Club’s 2013 AFC Champions League round of 16 two-match tie against Chinese heavyweights Guangzhou Evergrande.

While the inspiring Dutch defender will play his final professional game on Australian soil against Marcello Lippi’s men in Gosford on Wednesday 15 May, he will not be lost to the Club following the reverse fixture in China seven days later.

Indeed, the Mariners are pleased to announce that Zwaanswijk will remain with the Club as Head of Youth & Community Football for the next three years.

Under Zwaanswijk’s new portfolio, the 2013 Hyundai A-League Grand Final goalscorer will be the Club’s new National Youth League (NYL) Head Coach.

The former FC Utrecht and Oita Trinita defender will also act as the Mariners’ liaison with Central Coast Football (CCF) regarding the Academy pathway.

In addition, part of Zwaanswijk’s remit will be to oversee the Club’s relations with local football clubs, and use his vast experience in the game to identify new players for the Club’s youth pathway.

Zwaanswijk said that after nearly two decades of playing professional football in his native Netherlands, as well as in Japan and Australia, the time had come for him to hang up his boots and commence a new section of his football journey.

“At a certain point there’s a transition in life,” Zwaanswijk said. “This is a great opportunity for me, so that made it a little bit easier for me to finish my career.”

“For me, it’s important to give back to football and to give back to, at this particular time, the Central Coast Mariners.”

“It’s time to step out of the way to give Zach Anderson a good chance with (Trent) Sainsbury. He’s (Anderson) shown he is a full first team player, and with me stepping out of the way it gives him the chance to get all the credit he deserves.”

Zwaanswijk rates his 2013 Hyundai A-League Championship success alongside his back-to-back Dutch Cup crowns won with FC Utrecht in 2003 and 2004.

He said his farewell from Eredivisie outfit NAC Breda, with whom he played between 2005 and 2010, also features fondly in his extensive list of career highlights, and hopes a big crowd will be in attendance to wish him and the team well against Guangzhou.

“I have to say my farewell at my former club NAC Breda was a big big thing,” he said. “I flew back to Holland after my first year here to have my farewell there and that was amazing,” he said.

“I hope there’s two more highlights in my career to come. One, the qualification to the quarterfinals in the Champions League, and two, my farewell with the Central Coast people”

“I hope everyone is going to turn up to cheer not only me on, but the squad on, because we’re looking for a big moment and a big opportunity to beat one of the best Clubs in China.”

Central Coast Mariners Head Coach, Graham Arnold, praised Zwaanswijk as one of the best foreigners to ever to grace the Australian domestic scene.

“When we signed Patrick he was 35 and more than a fair share of eyebrows were raised about him joining us,” Arnold said. “But he has proven his quality over the past three seasons, making an enormous contribution to the Mariners and the A-League.”

“He’s been a consistent performer for us, and his leadership qualities and ability to help other players get the best out of themselves cannot be doubted. Alex Wilkinson, Trent Sainsbury and Zach Anderson have all improved their game by playing next to him.”

Central Coast Mariners Chairman and Group General Manager, Mr Peter Turnbull, said: “Patrick Zwaanswijk has been a tower of strength for the team on and off the field since his arrival.”

“His leadership has been obvious since he stepped foot in Australia, and he’s especially helped the likes of Alex Wilkinson, Trent Sainsbury and Mathew Ryan to reach new levels in their professional careers.”

“We are now excited that Patrick can continue his leadership in a new role.”

“I know our youth players will be excited to have a person of Patrick’s stature to coach, mentor and advise them, as will so many of the community coaches in the region when Patrick begins to move around the association in his new role."

Zwaanswijk will take over the NYL Head Coaching position from John McLafferty. The Club would like to thank for McLafferty for his efforts in guiding the side to an excellent second place finish in the 2012/13 version of Australia’s premier youth football competition.

The impending gypo demise claims another victim

Jeterpool
10-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Do they want Mitchell?

My2BobsWorth
12-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Now they're saying not likely to happen with Hughes, pulled out of the deal for family reasons. Still looking for a centre back.

seldom
12-05-2013, 08:49 PM
We have an abundance of CBs...pity they're all ordinary

12-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Do they want Mitchell?

Does anybody ?.

Zico
12-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Does anybody ?.
I'm sure Edgeworth would take him lol

Premy
13-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Anyone seen the Kevin Sheedy remarks about WSW and the Immigration Department http://m.sbs.com.au/news/#article1765746_Kevin-Sheedy-sticks-by-A-League-comments

parksey
13-05-2013, 11:15 PM
yeah, I saw that. I felt embarrassed watching that interview; it was like he thought he was about to make a killer joke and when no one laughed he realised how racist it was and tried to play it cool.

sh10
14-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Gotta love sheedy, he's always been prone to the odd completely stupid comment. I know what he meant but yeah not cool what he actually said.

Although it is pretty disappointing to see generic public having a go at him as some redneck racist anglo - these jerks obviously don't know shit about the man and his work

plague
14-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Gotta love sheedy, he's always been prone to the odd completely stupid comment. I know what he meant but yeah not cool what he actually said.

Although it is pretty disappointing to see generic public having a go at him as some redneck racist anglo - these jerks obviously don't know shit about the man and his work

This.
Not racist FFS. Just a cheap shot at humor, that was clearly terrible.
His point (that people come here from OS with soccer already in their DNA) is valid.
Blokes done more to further immigrant and indigenous sporting role models in this country than anyone.
Storm/teacup etc.

parksey
14-05-2013, 02:04 PM
maybe but what he said was pretty ****ed up

militiamon
14-05-2013, 02:32 PM
lol, the guy is clearly an old racist idiot. As Foz points out, this is the definition of the "sheilas, wogs, poofters" mentality. It's racist because he's trying to make a distinction between "us" and "them", and labelling anyone of non-Anglo background as immigrants. I mean I'd be pretty insulted if I was a potential fan in Western Sydney and I was called an immigrant because I didn't want to go to GWS games, wouldn't you?

Also see this bit from Foz's article:

Here’s the reason why Sheedy’s inevitable backtracking means nothing to me, because I’ve seen him do this before, a few years ago at a speaking engagement in Perth. You know the ones: where someone from cricket, AFL and rugby all argue for their game. Les Murray couldn’t make it and I was the token ‘soccer’ guy.

I was there to represent my game and at the first chance I got I talked about who we are, what we represent, how proud we are of our game and our contribution to Australian life now, and in future.

It was the first time I met Sheedy and hopefully the last.

I explained to the crowd what football is. That it is multicultural, representing the people of the world, the common language of life and a connecting force globally. I talked about how those new arrivals to Australia bring the ball in their heart and are welcomed by our community.

"Yeah, sure, the ‘boat people’, that’s your sport," Sheedy responded.

The crowd stopped dead in complete silence. This was a highly partisan group for AFL and cricket, in particular, but they knew what had just happened was an absolute disgrace.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/craig-foster/blog/1151394/Sheedy,-you%27re-a-disgrace

In short, the guy doesn't need defending, he blamed poor attendance on the racial background of the club's fanbase after losing by 135 pts, end of story.

MFKS
14-05-2013, 02:35 PM
This.
Not racist FFS. Just a cheap shot at humor, that was clearly terrible.
His point (that people come here from OS with soccer already in their DNA) is valid.
Blokes done more to further immigrant and indigenous sporting role models in this country than anyone.
Storm/teacup etc.

Disagree with this Plague. The bloke is wheeling out all the I am not a racist ploys at present.

The remarks he made are stupid and disgraceful in this day and age.

What is also more ridiculous is that they are directed at the same ****ing community AFL are trying to win over with their GWS idea that Sheedy is the spokesperson and public face of since Israel Folau ****ed off on them:lol:.

This is also coming from a game that tries to palm Anzac day AFL off as on some similar parralel level to what the ANZACS and other returned servicemen did for their country and claim the day as theirs. A game that carries on about it being an indigenous and an AUSTRALIAN game at every opportunity and shoves this entire jingonistic shit down peoples throats that it is somehow Un Australian to not be AFL crazy.

Well I was born North of the Murray River and I don't give a **** about their stupid insular game where you get a point for missing the ****ing goals. I don't feel less of an Australian because I couldn't give two ****s who plays for ****ing Collingwood just like over 50% of the poulation.

sh10
14-05-2013, 02:35 PM

Exhibit A: PeteC

To be expected from the Member for Self Flagellation

Im summary:
- what he meant was correct
- what he said was ****ing stupid
- Sheedy has done more for disadvantaged sectors of the community than anyone else in the AFL so to call him a racist shows zero knowledge of him
- Not surprising as most of the idiots doing this wouldn't have ever heard of him until the other day, lol

militiamon
14-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Right, so just because he has set up development programs for one group for his own sport, that means he is immune from being called a racist? Ok, got it, great argument bud.

plague
14-05-2013, 03:20 PM
It's racist because he's trying to make a distinction between "us" and "them", and labelling anyone of non-Anglo background as immigrants. I mean I'd be pretty insulted if I was a potential fan in Western Sydney and I was called an immigrant because I didn't want to go to GWS games, wouldn't you?

In short, the guy doesn't need defending, he blamed poor attendance on the racial background of the club's fanbase after losing by 135 pts, end of story.

Nah, that's not right.
He was asked why GWS failed to attract crowds/support as good as teams like WSW.
His response was that a large section of the local western Sydney population were from OS or descendants thereof. His case was that football is worldwide so new Australians are going to be drawn to a game that is familiar to them.
Getting new Australians to embrace AFL is hard because its a foreign game.
The way he said it was stupid and unhelpful and to the detriment of his team/sport. This doesn't make him a racist.

Premy
14-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I wonder how Andrew Demetriou feels about his comment given that he is from Greek/Cypriot background and that the AFL have invested reportedly $200mil in the region of Western Sydney. Sheedy has put the Giants back a few years in the Western Suburbs with this comment I think and I don't think he'll be in a job for much longer. $200mil on only 5830 people the AFL is in over their head and this comment comes from pressure on Sheedy to start getting results. Everything is not fine and dandy down in the headquarters in Mexico

plague
14-05-2013, 03:23 PM
OK Militia and MFKS.
In 4 lines or less please explain to me why WSW has been more successful than GWS in both crowds/public support and onfield results.
Serious answers only.
Gogogogogo.

plague
14-05-2013, 03:26 PM
headquarters in Mexico

WHAT?
You used a foreign culture/country to make a perceived derogatory comment about something.

ZOMG DAS RAYCESS!!!!!!

militiamon
14-05-2013, 03:39 PM
OK Militia and MFKS.
In 4 lines or less please explain to me why WSW has been more successful than GWS in both crowds/public support and onfield results.
Serious answers only.
Gogogogogo.

Here's some homework for plague and anyone else who's interested:

1. Look up GWS's current position on the AFL ladder
2. Look at their position on the ladder last season
3. Count total wins for GWS over the last 2 seasons under super coach and social commentator Kevin Sheedy
4. Compare to WSW

Bonus marks: Look up GWS membership figures for last season.

Or y'know, you could just automatically agree with the racist guy without actually checking any facts for yourselves.

plague
14-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Here's some homework for plague and anyone else who's interested:

1. Look up GWS's current position on the AFL ladder
2. Look at their position on the ladder last season
3. Count total wins for GWS over the last 2 seasons under super coach and social commentator Kevin Sheedy
4. Compare to WSW

Bonus marks: Look up GWS membership figures for last season.

Or y'know, you could just automatically agree with the racist guy without actually checking any facts for yourselves.

1. Good point.
2. Great point.
3. Good point.
4. Well, that was the point of the Journo's question.

I agree with everything you said (except the racist bit).

So if winning was everything why are the Mariners crowds ordinary in comparison?
and why are Jets crowds and members better than a lot of teams above them?

Winning is a massive part of it, but obviously not everything right?

q-money
14-05-2013, 04:21 PM
so why are gold coast reasonably more successful than GWS?

ablett? probably? hunt turned out to be a pretty decent player as well

is that the problem with the gws carrots? they're just honkin?

plague
14-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Yeah you could point towards Abblett, the fact there was probably more of a base of support up there due to exposure to previous AFL teams (The Bears!!!!).

Would be interesting to see if GWS get a marquee (Buddy Franklin) what effect that would have?
It's a pretty standard approach for AFL so I'd expect it to happen.

plague
14-05-2013, 04:34 PM
having said that, it would all depend whether old Redneck Sheeds would be able to handle coaching a colored chap.

(You know, him being a massive raycess an all).

MFKS
14-05-2013, 04:50 PM
OK Militia and MFKS.
Serious answers only.
Gogogogogo.

1 WSW have went out of their way to embrace and be embraced by the Western Sydney Community and have suceeded
2 AFL are throwing money about as an offering of being accepted. They ain't gonna change League and Football fans minds by this way
3 GWS onfield results are poor because they signed kids. WSW signed Covic Beauchamp Topor Bridge Ono etc ie Experienced players
4 Coach's Poppa is young fresh with bright ideas and ambition, Sheedy although experienced doesn't have the drive to succeed that he once had

It was 4 lines when I typed it out when it posted it werent. ****

plague
14-05-2013, 05:00 PM
2 AFL are throwing money about as an offering of being accepted. They ain't gonna change League and Football fans minds by this way

This is exactly what I think Sheedy was trying to say. He just said it in an unacceptable and stupid way.
Can we all move on now?

MFKS
14-05-2013, 05:09 PM
http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/_/website-news/kevin-sheedys-attack-on-un-australian-wanderers-r388?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Normally I am loathe to watch or even discuss the Australian Modified Gaelic Football League and the newest club, the Greater Wagga-Wagga Canberra Western Sydney Breakfast Point Giants. Today I am over-turning that self-imposed ban due to the comments of Kevin Sheedy at the press-conference following his team's abysmal 135 point loss. I did not watch the game, knowing that even if I were to enjoy AMGFL in the slightest that this match would not be a contest whatsoever. The match attracted a laughably inflated 'official' crowd of 5,830. I can only assume this included the players and coaches for both teams, the staff selling food and drinks to patrons, the face painter out the front of the stadium and the commentators and broadcast staff, and then the AFL decided to double the figure. Perhaps their membership base of 12,052 contains far more cats, dogs, pigs and infant children than we would otherwise suspect.

After discussing the team and their woeful ability on the field, the topic turned to the way the club had gone about the business of attracting people and building a support base. Kevin Sheedy then made a comment I found incredibly offensive, one that shows that the days of the 'Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters' branding of football in this country are not yet over.

"We don't have the recruiting officer called the immigration department, recruiting fans for the West Sydney Wanderers. We have to find fans, because that's what happens when you channel a lot of people into a country, put them in Western Sydney, build a club in one year and they've suddenly got 10,000 fans and 20,000 going to a game."

What a staggering stupid, and arguably racist comment. It is one that shows yet again what complete ignorance the AMGFL leadership have of the people they supposedly want to support their new club.

I hardly know where to begin dissecting the failure of the GWS Giants.

Firstly, I remind all that the AFL have repeatedly talked about having a $200 million dollar 'war chest' for the Giants. So my first question, is why has any Government spent any money on this failure of a club?

I will start with the AFL scamming $27 million dollars from various parts of NSW Government to build a ground at the Blacktown Olympic Park, only to see them abandon the facility in order to waste another $45 million of taxpayer funds on redeveloping the Sydney Showground. Skoda Stadium as it is now known, has only once attracted more than the 10,000 that the Blacktown AFL stadium can hold.

I could also start with how the ACT Government has gifted GWS with $2.35 million a year for 10 years to play matches at Manuka Oval. And here I was thinking this was a Western Sydney team. What I find most aggravating for this in regards to football, is that the Canberra A-League bid failed due to a lack of funding, even though $2.35 million a year would be enough to cover any losses of a real ACT team playing in Canberra for every match of the A-League season!

Sheedy and his comment today proved to me without a shadow of a doubt that the AFL & GWS have no clue about the people they want to market their sport and club at.

If they think that the Western Sydney Wanderers success is solely down to of 'immigrants' coming over to Australia that are 'channeled' into Western Sydney by the Government, bringing their immigrant sport that just happens to be what the Wanderers play thus setting the scene for sold-out crowds and a Grand Final with over 40,000 people at it then they are dead wrong.

It is another comment in the litany of AFL supporters who brand Football as anti-Australia, as a foreign xenophobic sport not fit for a 'true Australian' to play. It is an statement that football is "Un-Australian".

This is a sport which is so intent on forcefully branding itself as a true Australian 'legend'. From attempts to takeover Anzac Day, to claiming that AFL is the 'indigenous' game despite said game being a combination of rugby & Gaelic football (Sheedy should look up what country Association Football came from), and the deception of calling it "Australia's Game", despite football being a far more popular participation sport for males, swimming being popular with both male and female and netball being most popular with females.

Never mind the tiny little fact that half the country prefers Rugby or Rugby Union, and the entire country supports Cricket in various forms, the AFL has grown complacent in having the narratives and marketing spiel replicated word for word across the mainstream media. It has grown so confident that it now has it's own propaganda empire operating under the guise of 'AFL.Com News'.

Sheedy has bought into the AFL hype about being the true Australian sport. To him and the rest of the stooges at AFL Headquarters, the success of the Wanderers can only be explained away by declaring those Wanderers supporters as immigrants, not truly Australian. They can't possible be real Australian men and women, because they'd be Giants supporters otherwise. The Giants see their job as preaching the Australian gospel of AFL to those immigrant football heathens. That AFL is the one true Australian sport, and we'd best come along and support his team if we want really be Australian.

Whichever way his comment is sliced it is offensive. His suggestion that because I'm a Wanderers supporter I must be an immigrant is just one way I find it offensive. That being born in Western Sydney, with my parents being born in Western Sydney and my grandparents as well, that supporting the Wanderers and not supporting GWS makes me an un-Australian immigrant.

The alternative? That people who immigrate to Australia and love football aren't really Australian yet, or that they are invading Australia and latching on to the Wanderers because they haven't yet found out they should love AFL.

Bullshit.

Kevin Sheedy your comments are a disgrace not only to Western Sydney but to modern Australian culture as a whole. This country is built on immigration, and people come to Australia to live and learn and be free, they can love or hate whatever sport they like and liking one sport or another has nothing to do with how 'Australian' they are.

The Wanderers have built their success and fan base not from 'immigration', but from passion for football, and getting our chance to support a club that truly represents Western Sydney in the A-League. No-one in the Wanderers club or support base cares how long ago you moved to Australia, or even if you were born in Australia, or if it was 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 or more generations ago that your family first came to Australia, or if you're from Eastern Europe, or South America, or New Zealand or England or Greece or Spain or Aboriginal or any other country or nationality or ethnicity on the planet.

Nationality or ethnicity isn't what unites the Wanderers. It has nothing to do with our immigration or non-immigration status.

What unites the Wanderers is being proud of Western Sydney.

If Kevin Sheedy and the AFL can't understand that they can take the entire Giants organisation on the next XPT to Canberra and relocate the entire box and dice to a location that appears to actually want an AFL team.

Written as a retort to Sheedy from a bloke who got to a WSW game thanks to the immigration department

sh10
14-05-2013, 05:19 PM
plague dropping truth bombs, highlight of my off season

q-money
14-05-2013, 05:22 PM
deadset do these WSW blokes have a cry about everything?

plague
14-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Yeah, that's a fair whack. He makes some very valid points.
Also is slightly hysterical and seems to make a lot of conclusions from Sheedy's quote that I didn't quite see.
But to be fair a few of you lads on here have also drawn an extremely large bow.
But it's a free country, he (and foz members) gets their say.

q-money
14-05-2013, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0pWc-aaHCY

My2BobsWorth
14-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Sheedy got the response he wanted, he's been around a long time

hawk
14-05-2013, 05:33 PM
We don't have the recruiting officer called the immigration department, recruiting fans for the West Sydney Wanderers. We have to find fans, because that's what happens when you channel a lot of people into a country, put them in Western Sydney, build a club in one year and they've suddenly got 10,000 fans and 20,000 going to a game."

racist? A great card to get an avalanche of sympathy. Sheeds is still incorrect, what cultures are in Melbourne? League did not take in SA WA because those cultures have learned to hate league as west syd has evolved to hate afl. 60 years of FTA tv can do this. Answer: GWS needs to be near the top to get the supports not deliver rubbish wk in wk out.

plague
14-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Also, the same media having a whack at old racist Kev aren't afraid to use the immigrant angle when there's a feel good story in it. They didn't mind the odd Labi Kosovo story or Elrich being recruited as a bit of a community leader for the local WSW population.
I'm getting really confused if there are or aren't immigrants out western Sydney way and when we are allowed to talk about them.

Middleby OUT.

sh10
14-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Sheedy got the response he wanted, he's been around a long time

a very pertinent point

ForeverRed
14-05-2013, 06:48 PM
every one new what he meant, get of your high horses, next minute we will be naming grand stands after troy hearfield and making him an immortal

MFKS
14-05-2013, 07:00 PM
every one new what he meant, get of your high horses, next minute we will be naming grand stands after troy hearfield and making him an immortal

The only thing that will be getting named after Hearfield in Newy will be a pie

14-05-2013, 08:07 PM
^ A frozen one at that.

boz-monaut
14-05-2013, 08:44 PM
this is probably the most any group of Novocastrians have ever talked about AFL

the sport is utterly irrelevant here, my single little football club has about 3/4 of the total number players of their entire sport in Newcastle

let's all go back to ignoring it, like we always have and always will

GazFish35
14-05-2013, 09:58 PM
ignore what?

parksey
14-05-2013, 11:14 PM
so why are gold coast reasonably more successful than GWS?

ablett? probably? hunt turned out to be a pretty decent player as well

is that the problem with the gws carrots? they're just honkin?

probably because there really was no need for a second afl team in sydney and them being so shit doesn't help things.