PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

Grimario
15-05-2013, 02:53 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-name-squad-for-Soccer-Sixes/67286

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets head coach Complete Douchebag has named at 10-man squad that will travel to Singapore to compete in the Singapore Soccer Sixes tournament this weekend.

Van Egmond said his players were looking forward to taking part in the two-day tournament, which will pit the Jets against international opponents in a six-a-side format.

“It’s great that we’ve got an opportunity to go there and it comes at a good time from the perspective of breaking up the pre-season,” van Egmond said.

“It’s the start of a really long pre-season so it’s nice to have little incentives such as a tournament like this.

“It is really good for the players especially because it helps break up the monotony of the pre-season.”

Among those travelling to Singapore are Club captain Ruben Zadkovich and Jets 2012/13 Player of the Year Mark Birighitti, as well as new signing Joey Gibbs.

Sam Gallaway and Ben Kantarovski will make their return to competitive football, albeit in a six-a-side format, after missing the end of last season through injury.

“Ben had a whole season out last year, so it’s going to be good for him to get that game time, even though it’s a different format,” van Egmond said.

“Sammy missed the back end of the season after he picked up a nasty injury in Wellington, so it will be a positive experience for him as well.

“Also having a new player in Joey Gibbs come on the trip will be a good thing because it’ll give him the chance to get to know the rest of the players.”

Van Egmond said the main challenge facing his side is adapting to the rules of the six-a-side format.

“The interesting part about it is there’s no offside and it’s unlimited interchange,” he said.

“I’m sure the teams we’re going to play will be well-schooled in the tactics of the six-a-side game and how to best utilise the different rules.

“The boys will be tested in a one-on-one situation both with and without the ball and from a conditioning perspective it will be really beneficial.

“We’re going to go there with a pretty open mind, enjoy the experience and if we get some good results, that will be fantastic.”

Newcastle Jets squad for Singapore Soccer Sixes:
Mark Birighitti
James Brown
Sam Gallaway
Joey Gibbs
Ben Kantarovski
Mitch Oxborrow
Jacob Pepper
Taylor Regan
James Virgili
Ruben Zadkovich

Jeterpool
15-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Should help the up tempo one touch football coach Complete Douchebag wants to play.

Grimario
15-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Would be hilariously bad if we get absolutely trounced by everyone... and that ends up being the catalyst for his sacking. Pinging long balls in six a side to Gibbs... would be brilliant.

seldom
15-05-2013, 10:14 PM
just wondering who's gunna score for us

OmeletteDuFromage
15-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Hoole and Goodwin score in training game for Socceroos against Sydney Olypmic.

7-2 win.

Premy
15-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Hoole and Goodwin score in training game for Socceroos against Sydney Olypmic.

7-2 win.
You wouldn't happen to know the U/20 V Bonnyrigg?
Also any idea what the crowd was at Belmore? just curious.

Speaking of crowds the away support in Gosford was impressive

OmeletteDuFromage
16-05-2013, 12:00 AM
You wouldn't happen to know the U/20 V Bonnyrigg?
Also any idea what the crowd was at Belmore? just curious.

Speaking of crowds the away support in Gosford was impressive

No idea man, sorry, just pulling this off Facebook.

Blackmac79
16-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Crowd was 1750 approx. according to Sydney Olympic Twitter, the football sack also commented that it looked well over 1000.

joel31
16-05-2013, 10:32 AM
No idea why they would play Sydney Olympic though. We can't be Oman so we play a semi-pro team

joel31
16-05-2013, 10:32 AM
And still concede 2 goals. Neill OUT

joel31
16-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Kewell released by Al-Gharrafa. We could sign him and play him on the wing
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1151738/Kewell's-World-Cup-hopes-take-a-hit

Thomas477
16-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Kewell released by Al-Gharrafa. We could sign him and play him on the wing
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1151738/Kewell's-World-Cup-hopes-take-a-hit

Just what we need, an injury prone 35yo on the wing. No thanks.

If we do sign him, he has to be played as the playmaker in the centre of the park.

Still don't want him though.

Imyourhero
16-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Sign him and play him in CB, still better than most our defenders.

true waterboy
16-05-2013, 01:29 PM

taggart to striker
heskey to cb
heskey did well there this year

joel31
16-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Carle has returned to Sydney on a non-marquee contract

q-money
16-05-2013, 01:37 PM
the magical sydney chequebook strikes again

Blackmac79
16-05-2013, 02:22 PM
taggart to striker
heskey to cb
heskey did well there this year

On FM13 Heskey's position is ST/DC

plague
16-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Didn't he play a bit there when he played in Turkey?
Play Bridges at 6. That's a dead set genius engine room.
Sign him up Tinks, if only for the inevitable ego clashes with Van Egmond.

Middleby would still cock it up though.

Middleby out.

militiamon
16-05-2013, 03:54 PM
SFC ffs.

Didn't he play a bit there when he played in Turkey?

I was about to say this as well. May have even played there in a Champions League/UEFA Cup game as well.

q-money
16-05-2013, 04:41 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/971571_664140710266468_2143734299_n.jpg

josh brilliante aka angus stone, pulling the twigs and cigarette butts out of his beard before playing

Beeen
17-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Have a shave ya freak

Blackmac79
17-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Congratulation to hamma for his socceroos selection.

furns
17-05-2013, 10:16 AM
i lol'd

joel31
17-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Jets and Heart to bid for Kewell
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1151864/Potential-A-League-return-for-Kewell

hawk
17-05-2013, 06:40 PM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1151864/Potential-A-League-return-for-Kewell

go heart

seldom
18-05-2013, 12:59 AM

Didn't we learn from Culina ffs...at least he was only partially disabled

Pico
18-05-2013, 05:21 PM
A-League will leave it late to end season

Football Federation Australia will push the climax of the A-League season to its latest ever finish, with a May grand final next year bringing the competition end into line with the European season - but potentially causing significant scheduling headaches with the competing local winter codes.

Having held its grand final in February as recently as 2009, the league has gradually been pushing back the season finale ever since, jumping a full month, from March 13 in 2011 to April 22 this year. Now the FFA is hoping to schedule its next grand final as close as possible to the May 15 cut-off date for domestic competitions mandated by FIFA.

The motivation for the late finish is so the growing number of Socceroos' who play in the A-League will not be match fit leading up to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, which kicks off on June 12 - even if qualification for the game's showpiece remains a tenuous proposition.

Despite finishing several weeks later than last season, the 2013-14 season will begin just a week later, on October 11. While there will be no international breaks, an occasional week off will be rotated among the clubs.

Having already experienced significant venue congestion last season - especially in the finals - A-League chiefs may find next year an even tighter squeeze come play-offs time, given the late-autumn finale.

It is also the first draw that factors in the needs of a free-to-air broadcaster, but A-League boss Damien de Bohun believes the league has been able to juggle the needs of both SBS and Fox Sports.

''I think we'll be able to produce a fixture that pleases all parties, including the fans, and maximises the opportunities for our broadcast partners,'' he said. ''I'm confident we've got the right balance.''

The Western Sydney Wanderers have been identified as a potential prime-time goldmine for SBS, with speculation the Wanderers could be given as many as five Friday night matches.

De Bohun confirmed that the much-anticipated derbies of Sydney and Melbourne would be early in the season, but not in round one. Sydney FC would host two derbies this season to reflect the ''need to evenly share such matches'', he said.

The Central Coast Mariners finally get to chase their vision of capturing the northern Sydney market, with the club hosting, during the ''community round'' early in the season, the first domestic football league match at North Sydney Oval since the demise of Northern Spirit.

The club will use the match as a barometer for regional interest in the sport, with the ultimate vision of playing a game at the venue each season if it proves an initial success.

www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/aleague-will-leave-it-late-to-end-season-20130517-2jryv.html#ixzz2Tcck9sqz

So unless we are about to expand to 11 teams that means some rounds are going to have to drop a game for that week, but that then means two teams would be getting a break. Why not just use the international breaks as intended.

Can't wait until we have the FFA Cup, then those cup games can be scheduled for the international break, with the HAL on break or move the cup games to mid week if too many players are out for either team, would need to make allowances for all age levels of national teams.

MFKS
18-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Why not just play everyone 4 times to extend the season??

**** these breaks off. Last season that weekend we had off as we had already played Wellington midweek was ****ed. Season on a knife edge and we ain't even playing. Disgrace

Also who gives a **** about the NRL or ALF I don't. Play the season when we want and look after the FOOTBALL fans first and foremost and stop pandering to the blow in sports fan who watches a variety of sports. Look after the fans first and foremost and the bandwagoners second

plague
18-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Also who gives a **** about the NRL or ALF I don't. Play the season when we want and look after the FOOTBALL fans first and foremost

I thought getting access to grounds was a problem once we start overlapping with the AFL and NRL.
Until we own some of our own stadiums we are at the mercy of those other mobs.

That, or just play the GF at places like Marks Oval or something.

Once again Middleby manages to stuff things up.
Middleby out.

MFKS
18-05-2013, 08:24 PM
I thought getting access to grounds was a problem once we start overlapping with the AFL and NRL.
Until we own some of our own stadiums we are at the mercy of those other mobs.

That, or just play the GF at places like Marks Oval or something.

Once again Middleby manages to stuff things up.
Middleby out.

CCM>> Shittounge is used by NO ONE >> occasional NRL game
Victory/Heart>>AAMI>>> Rebels and Storm
Phoenix >>Caketin>> Hurricanes
Roar >> Suncorp >> Reds >> Broncos
Adelaide >> Hindmarsh >> No One
Perth>> NIB >> Force
WSW>> Parra Stadium>> Eels
Smurfs >> SFS >> Waratahs >> Rooosters>> occasional NRL game
Jets >> Stade de Newy >> Knoughts

Now a couple of grounds there are well used but considering games can be played across the codes on Friday Saturday Sunday and the NRL also use Monday what the **** is the problem finding 1 day free as the seasons overlap for 2 months??

that also being said as our season draw is done in approx June this year we can book in the Stadiums first as Union/NRL don't do there draws until September/October

plague
18-05-2013, 08:38 PM
You forgot Nitro Circus.

Also: aren't you the number one fan bitching about the condition of the pitch?
Lets face it, the Double Eff Aye rig it so the GF is in Melb or Syd every year so they are always fighting for grounds esp on short notice. Don't get me wrong more games and a shorter off season is better but just saying there are reasons why it's not so easy.

MFKS
18-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Also: aren't you the number one fan bitching about the condition of the pitch?

Most probably. Bitching about something would appear to be a gift of mine

seldom
18-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Most probably. Bitching about something would appear to be a gift of mine

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Captain Obvious
18-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Bitching about something would appear to be a gift of mine

Someone call me?

Jeterpool
18-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Someone call me?

No. False alarm.

Premy
18-05-2013, 11:23 PM
I don't like this idea at all I would more then likely miss a few games because I would be playing for my local club.

Here is a idea from left field every World Cup year have a post season cup 2 groups of 5 top 2 teams from both groups go through to semis players get longer seasons and the games could be shipped out to regional locations

sammydog
18-05-2013, 11:43 PM
I don't like this idea at all I would more then likely miss a few games because I would be playing for my local club.

Thats a good point. The value of a season ticket could have its guts ripped out depending on the draw and how it conflicts with club games. Unfortunately your not going to know until its too late.

hawk
19-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Thats a good point. The value of a season ticket could have its guts ripped out depending on the draw and how it conflicts with club games. Unfortunately your not going to know until its too late.

but with gve putting out an u/21s speckled with some has beens (Hesk not inc) team each week it wont matter too much.

The fact that we are actually mentioning Kewell coming here shows has fked the club really is.

joel31
19-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Why not just play everyone 4 times to extend the season??

**** these breaks off. Last season that weekend we had off as we had already played Wellington midweek was ****ed. Season on a knife edge and we ain't even playing. Disgrace

Also who gives a **** about the NRL or ALF I don't. Play the season when we want and look after the FOOTBALL fans first and foremost and stop pandering to the blow in sports fan who watches a variety of sports. Look after the fans first and foremost and the bandwagoners second

Exactly

joel31
19-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Jets through to the Soccer Sixes Final

Source: Newcastle Jets Fans Facebook

sammydog
19-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Will play Chonburi FC after knocking off defending champions Singapore U21's

sammydog
19-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Jets beat Chonburi FC 4-1 in the final of the Singapore Soccer Sixes.

Prize money donated to children's orphanages taking part in the youth division of the Soccer Sixes tournament.

really bad pic of the team here, http://instagram.com/p/ZfaG2Nu3gU/

true waterboy
19-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Well done jets.
Sign GVE for another 2 years.
who cares about aleague its all about how many amateur 6 a side comps you can win

GazFish35
19-05-2013, 11:16 PM
sweet so now all we need to do is have the FFA reduce the A-league to six-a-side and we can carry some good form into the season.

is there any truth to the rumours that Tinks sauntered down in a pair of stubbies and a mesh singlet sweating it up in the singapore heat, snatehed the teams passports off them and threatened to have them stiched up on drug importation charges if they lost?

sammydog
19-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Tinks sauntered down in a pair of stubbies and a mesh singlet

Thanks, I didn't want to sleep tonight.

evolution
19-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Can we now forever claim we were the first A-League team to win a trophy in Asia and put a dirty big star on our jerseys?

GazFish35
20-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks, I didn't want to sleep tonight.

something kinda like this....
http://www.thepunch.com.au/images/uploads/westie.jpg

sammydog
20-05-2013, 12:15 AM
something kinda like this....
http://www.thepunch.com.au/images/uploads/westie.jpg

Where did you get a photo of me?

plague
20-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Jets beat Chonburi FC 4-1 in the final of the Singapore Soccer Sixes.

Prize money donated to children's orphanages taking part in the youth division of the Soccer Sixes tournament.

really bad pic of the team here, http://instagram.com/p/ZfaG2Nu3gU/

Rubes/Reegz, let loose in Asia with Big Tinks.

Phwoar!! Get in lads.
Oh year, we won as many trophies this year as the Gypo's.

Aint no thang.

20-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Where did you get a photo of me?

Dead ringer for a Klingong you are there sd

Grimario
20-05-2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wellingtonphoenix/news-display/Phoenix%20Appoint%20A-Leagues%20Most%20Successful%20Coach/67581

The Wellington Phoenix has appointed the A-League’s most successful ever coach, Ernie Merrick, as the Club’s new Head Coach.

Many candidates were interviewed from around the world, with Merrick’s proven track record of two premierships, two championships and three grand final appearances giving him the edge over some very talented coaches.

Wellington Phoenix Chairman Rob Morrison said the Club is delighted to secure Merrick’s services and that he brings with him an impressive track record.

“Ernie has an unrivalled record in the A-League, including two Championships and another finals appearance, as well as being Hyundai A-League Coach of the Year twice with Melbourne Victory,” Morrison said.

“His twelve years at the Victoria Institute of Sport, as well as his work with Melbourne Victory youth, demonstrates a proven track record in developing youth and bringing them through to the first team, something which is a core strategic pillar of the Phoenix.

“He also fully understands the long term strategy the Club is implementing and is supportive of that approach.”

The Phoenix went through an exhaustive and thorough selection process. Candidates were required to articulate their football philosophy along with presenting the strategies and tactics they would employ if appointed Head Coach.

Morrison said Merrick’s presentation highlighted what an outstanding coach he is.
“Ernie’s presentation showed that he has all the skills to lead the Phoenix to the top of the A-League,” Morrison said.

“His clearly articulated football philosophy and attention to detail was strongly underpinned by his sports science skills and that gave him a unique combination of attributes.
“His skill set definitely gave him a distinct edge.

“Another plus was that his knowledge of the A-League and its players is exceptional.”

Merrick says that he is excited by the new challenge ahead and looks forward to building the Phoenix into a true A-League title contender.

“My coaching philosophy has always been about winning. That’s what I will be bringing to the Phoenix,” Merrick, who has signed a two-year contract with an option for a third year, said.

“I’m also happy to be back in the A-League.

“I had six years at Victory but this is a new challenge entirely. It is unusual for one team to represent a country and it presents me with a great challenge.

“There is great potential at the club and there must be a lot of talented young players in New Zealand to draw on.

“I focussed on producing young players at the Victoria Institute of Sport and at Melbourne Victory, and one of my most important roles at the Phoenix will be to provide input into the type of structure that will groom up and coming players for the first team.”

Merrick said his first priority would be to sign players for two or three crucial positions and then to make sure there was a production line of young players coming through.

“That is something I tried to ensure at Victory because you are always going to have injuries and players called up for international duty.

“To make three grand finals in four seasons as we did at Victory we had to keep new players coming through.”

If Merrick impressed the club during the selection process, the feeling was mutual.

“The owners and board are determined to bring stability to the Phoenix, and they impressed me as people who want to set up structures and a playing style rather than just try and buy success season after season,” Merrick said.

One of the players Merrick will inherit is his former Victory star Carlos Hernandez who will join up with the Phoenix next month after a stint in India.

“Carlos was obviously signed before I was appointed but I know him well,” he said.

“He has tremendous technical skills and can score goals as well as help others produce them.”
Merrick will take up his duties on June 5 and said he was already planning his first season’s full programme.

Ernie Merrick at a Glance
Born Edinburgh, Scotland
Most successful coach in A-League history: A-League Premierships in 2006-07 and 2008-09: A-League Championship 2006-07 and 2008-09.
A-League Coach of the Year: 2006-07, 2009-10

Coaching career:
1987–1988: Preston Makedonia
1989–1991: Sunshine George Cross
1992–2004: Victoria Institute of Sport
2005–2011: Melbourne Victory.
2011- 2012: Hong Kong National Team

joel31
20-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Mass Murdocca leaving Roar for Melbourne
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/brisbaneroar/news-display/Roar-say-goodbye-to-Murdocca/67608

Grimario
20-05-2013, 03:27 PM
So glad he has been released by Brisbane almost 2 weeks after it was announced by many that he signed for Heart... :gent:

A reunion with ex-coach Ange Postecoglou at Melbourne Victory looms for Mitch Nichols after the midfielder opted not to re-sign with A-League club Brisbane.

The Victory are set to confirm they have signed Nichols who won back-to-back premierships under Postecoglou at the Roar.

Roar coach Mike Mulvey had initially been confident of keeping the attacking midfielder but Nichols' management confirmed on Friday that he was "seeking new opportunities outside of Brisbane to further his career".

"We've been in constant communication with Mitch and his management during this season, however, at this time, Mitch indicated he feels he needs a new challenge," Roar managing director Sean Dobson said.

"From the club's point of view, we're comfortable knowing we did everything in our power to keep Mitch in Brisbane Roar colours."

Nichols, 24, played 125 matches and scored 24 goals in his six seasons with the Roar.

It is another blow for the Roar who recently lost foundation player and midfielder Massimo Murdocca to the Melbourne Heart.

And Ben Halloran has been linked to German club Fortuna Dusseldorf while midfielder Steve Lustica will reportedly return to Croatian club Hajduk Split.

militiamon
20-05-2013, 11:34 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wellingtonphoenix/news-display/Phoenix%20Appoint%20A-Leagues%20Most%20Successful%20Coach/67581

Phwoar, Merrick + Hernandez. Expect big things of them next season.

I would cancel all my appointments and have a day-long fapfest if this happened to us.

Jetmaster
21-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Fully expect Ernie to take Wello to the GF using the cattle at his disposal......take note HSG, you had the chance.

Jetmaster
22-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Todays Herald...

Knights and Jets go it alone

By ROBERT DILLON and BRETT KEEBLE
May 22, 2013, 1 a.m.

WESTS Group chief executive Philip Gardner said last night that it would ‘‘make a lot of sense’’ for the Newcastle Knights to move their commercial operations into the Wests Mayfield premises.
See your ad here

Hunter Sports Group officials confirmed in a statement yesterday that they would move the administration of both the Knights and the Jets from the office in Tudor Street, Newcastle West, they have shared for the past two years.

The two clubs will be based in different, as yet undisclosed, locations.

‘‘The Newcastle Knights and Jets commercial and media operations are set to move to new premises in separate locations,’’ HSG said in the statement.

‘‘The move is in line with most major sporting organisations in Australia and around the world.

‘‘Both club locations will be announced over the coming weeks, which will include a new merchandise outlet and ensure greater interaction with the fans. It is anticipated both moves will be completed during August.’’

Knights chief executive Matt Gidley and chairman Paul Harragon told the Newcastle Herald in February that both clubs were considering shifting into the Turton Road offices adjoining Hunter Stadium, which were the Knights’ headquarters for more than a decade.

At the time, Gidley said the move ‘‘makes sense’’ because it was ‘‘our spiritual home’’ and would help ‘‘re-engage the community’’.

But it appears that is no longer an option because of the cost of refurbishing the former squash courts.

HSG has instead been discussing alternatives, in particular moving the Knights admin staff to Wests Mayfield, where their coaches and players are already based.

It is understood there are function rooms inside the licensed club that could be converted into office space.

Gardner said Wests would be happy to accommodate the Knights if that was their preference.

‘‘We’ve been talking to them about it for a while, but at this stage I don’t believe they have made a final decision,’’ Gardner said.

‘‘We’ve got a fair bit of space there and, when you consider that Wayne [Bennett] and his coaching staff are already based there, it would certainly make a lot of sense to have the administration close by. But, as far as I’m aware, they are still considering their options.’’

Gidley said last night that the Knights would ‘‘hopefully be in a position to make an announcement in the near future’’.

Jets coach Gary van Egmond and his staff will also need to move by August as they currently use offices in the Tudor Street building.

The Herald has been told HSG has already made initial inquiries about securing office space for the Jets’ coaching and football staff at the University of Newcastle.
See your ad here

That would make logistical sense as the Jets’ training base is at Ray Watt Oval, in the grounds of the university’s Callaghan campus.

Separating the two clubs would appear to represent a shift in owner Nathan Tinkler’s original vision.

‘‘There is no doubt I see synergies in combining off-field administration and medical for the two clubs,’’ Tinkler said in November 2010.

‘‘Their seasons barely overlap, so that provides good ability to fully utilise staff to cover both codes."

Not sure of the reasons for this, surely not cost cutting as it would be more expensive....maybe the Knights have had enough of GVE too !

Grimario
22-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Clearly paving the way for Stinkler to cut his losses and drop the Jerks.

Pico
22-05-2013, 09:12 AM
FFA boss David Gallop swings the axe as national teams boss John Boultbee departs

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
May 22, 2013 12:00AM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/04/10/1226617/672460-david-gallop.jpg

Football Federation Australia CEO David Gallop has swung the axe. Picture: Nic Gibson. Source: The Daily Telegraph

CONCERN over the future of the Socceroos has claimed its first victim following the departure of national teams boss John Boultbee after almost eight years in charge.

Boultbee, the administrator responsible for managing all the men and women's national teams but primarily the Socceroos, will leave at the end of the qualifying campaign for next year's World Cup after telling Football Federation CEO David Gallop that he plans to stand for the presidency of rowing's international governing body, FISA.

Though that position was viewed as incompatible with his role at FFA, Boultbee has long held senior roles in rowing at both national and international level.

Gallop has shown increasing concern since his arrival in December at the management of the Socceroos and the national teams unit, and Boultbee's departure is likely to lead to a shake-up in the way it is run.

Boultbee, who was brought in by Frank Lowy and John O'Neill in 2004, is a member of FISA's executive committee, on the board of Rowing Australia and a steward of the Henley Regatta.

It comes with the Socceroos locked in a desperate battle to qualify for the World Cup next year and facing three defining qualifiers next month against Japan, Jordan and Iraq.

Realistically, Australia need to win at least their two remaining home games, against Jordan and Iraq, to avoid third place and a succession of play-offs -- or even miss out completely on a place at a third consecutive World Cup.

But there has also been deep concern right up to board level at FFA over the Socceroos' "brand''.

The players themselves were shown internal research last year charting their slide in the public conscience.

Though the switch to qualifying for the World Cup through Asia has produced a far longer and more challenging pathway, crucial fixtures have failed to engage with the public and there has been a knock-on effect on ticket sales.

It's understood Gallop met Osieck earlier this year and made it clear he wanted regular performance reports from the veteran German coach, who under previous chief executive Ben Buckley had substantially more autonomy.

"There are lots of exciting things happening, with the Young Socceroos going to the World Cup, the Socceroos on the verge of qualifying, a new Matildas regime, FFA taking over management of the AIS program and a new version of the national curriculum imminent,'' Boultbee said yesterday.

"So it's a pretty good time to refresh the national teams unit.''

In A-League news, Brisbane Roar are poised to unveil the signing of former Manchester United and Perth midfielder Liam Miller today.

Miller left Glory this month after failing to agree terms on a new deal.

Meanwhile, A-League chiefs will today unveil next season's draw. Sydney FC are guaranteed to host two derbies against the Wanderers.

So was he pushed or did he jump, seems to suggest that he was cut loose, but then all this rowing stuff is thrown in too. Either way Gallop will be able to start shaping the organisation hopefully he does a good job of it.

joel31
22-05-2013, 09:29 AM
We're playing Sydney opening week of the season
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-victory-and-melbourne-heart-will-again-meet-in-round-1-of-the-a-league-next-season/story-e6frf4gl-1226648053411

sammydog
22-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Clearly paving the way for Stinkler to cut his losses and drop the Jerks.

I wouldn't be surprised if its paving the way to get rid of both clubs. I'd imagine we would be the first to go but wouldn't be surprised if both change hands.

snake
22-05-2013, 11:51 AM
we're ready for blackmac fc

hawk
22-05-2013, 09:25 PM
we're ready for blackmac fc

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyiqtwcA2i1qzn4ypo1_400.jpg

Pico
24-05-2013, 08:02 AM
A-League friendlies involving Manchester United and Liverpool to be shown by Channel 7

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
May 23, 2013 4:48PM

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/05/23/1226534/022799-soccer.jpg
FFA CEO David Gallop pictured in December while confirming the visit of Manchester United to play an A-League All Stars team in July. Source: AFP

THE A-League's free-to-air presence has increased after Channel 7 secured the rights to show both Manchester United's visit to Sydney to face the A-League All-Stars on July 20 and Liverpool's game against Melbourne Victory four days after.

The combined deals, which industry sources estimate to be worth close to $2m, came after Fox Sports, who had first and last refusal on both games, opted to pass.

It means an A-League presence on free-to-air TV for the first time since Channel Ten showed David Beckham's LA Galaxy against Sydney FC in 2007.

The deal with Channel 7 comes in the wake of a broadcast deal for the whole A-League starting with the coming season that has one game a week, every Friday night, shown on SBS, as well as all five games each weekend broadcast on Fox Sports.

It's believed that Channel Ten also bid to show the two showpiece games in July, which were sold independently of each other, but were outbid by Channel 7, despite its broadcast of AFL every Saturday night.

It's believed FFA CEO David Gallop will be on the Sunrise programme tomorrow morning to formally announce the deal.

Wonder if they will have this shown ive on 7, or if they will shift it over to 7two or 7mate. Ten would have been a much better fit.

sammydog
24-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Better not end up with Bruce Mcavany commentating.

belchardo
24-05-2013, 08:17 AM
midnight kick-off then?

24-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Better not end up with Bruce Mcavany commentating.

Delicious !!!!.

Jeterpool
24-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Delicious !!!!.

Bloke will call behinds if it goes wide of the post

Jetmaster
24-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Time for Paul Wade to come out of mothballs again.

plague
24-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Time for Paul Wade to come out of mothballs again.

this guy.
+ token efnik.
+ chick to do celebrity spotting and mindless drivel. Probably Rebecca Wilson.

Sorted.

Bon
24-05-2013, 11:24 AM
this guy.
+ token efnik.
+ chick to do celebrity spotting and mindless drivel. Probably Rebecca Wilson.

Sorted.

I imagined they would get Johanna Griggs.. There was a point in time where they had her doing EVERYTHING..

parksey
24-05-2013, 11:47 AM
literally doesn't make any sense for the games to not be on sbs

au revoir
24-05-2013, 11:52 AM
soccer comes home...

vikingjet
24-05-2013, 12:09 PM
literally doesn't make any sense for the games to not be on sbs

Apart from the paltry $2 million that 7 has paid for the rights. Absolutely senseless...

MFKS
24-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Wonder if they will have this shown ive on 7, or if they will shift it over to 7two or 7mate. Ten would have been a much better fit.

Despite 7 screwing soccer over back in the days of the NSL at this point in time we need all stations to WANT our product. It is time to turn the other cheek and bury the hatchet

The greater the enthusiasm Foxtel Nine Seven SBS Ten have for football in this country will see the negotiated TV deal in 4 years time be worth more and more

Grimario
24-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Despite 7 screwing soccer over back in the days of the NSL at this point in time we need all stations to WANT our product. It is time to turn the other cheek and bury the hatchet

The greater the enthusiasm Foxtel Nine Seven SBS Ten have for football in this country will see the negotiated TV deal in 4 years time be worth more and more

Exactly. If the game can pull huge viewing audiences, it will be a massive boost for the sport in this country.

Blackmac79
24-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Cause that SFC v LA Galaxy game on free to air did wonder for the game....

namwob99
24-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Bring back C7 sport?

Grimario
24-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Cause that SFC v LA Galaxy game on free to air did wonder for the game....

Cause Shitney FC vs Beckham and a bunch of Yanks is on par with one of the most famous teams in the world in ANY sport...

FaroeMassive
24-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Money talks I know, but Channel 7...c'mon!
They will never be forgiven and should never be allowed anything to do with Football.

I'm really looking forward to the constant ads for My Kitchen Rules and Revenge when the ball goes out of play and having Sandy Roberts and Bruce the Goose commentating...Rooney runs to 50, speeeeciiiallll!

FFS..Gallop I like you, but Channel 7 is a no go!

parksey
24-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Apart from the paltry $2 million that 7 has paid for the rights. Absolutely senseless...

didn't read the article tbh :oops:

plague
24-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Money talks I know, but Channel 7...c'mon!
They will never be forgiven and should never be allowed anything to do with Football.

oh good golly. are you seriously right now?

You honestly think Ch 7 is going to ruin football by televising a couple of kickabouts?
$2 million and the chance to broaden the reach of football vs sweet **** all cash and Craig Foster banging on about "well its not Barca but it'll do derp derp derp".

give up the grudge.
its football but not as we know it innit.

plague
24-05-2013, 04:22 PM
didn't read the article tbh :oops:

-1 point for the knee jerk reaction.
+2 points for being honest.

Net gain, well in.

GazFish35
24-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Kochie and Mel to call the game.

Grant Denyer on the sidelines.

FaroeMassive
24-05-2013, 05:50 PM
oh good golly. are you seriously right now?

You honestly think Ch 7 is going to ruin football by televising a couple of kickabouts?
$2 million and the chance to broaden the reach of football vs sweet **** all cash and Craig Foster banging on about "well its not Barca but it'll do derp derp derp".

give up the grudge.
its football but not as we know it innit.

Obviously you were not around in the Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters era!

I didn't say that it will ruin Football to have 2 matches on 7, just that no matter what money they throw at it I don't think they should ever be allowed to broadcast Football again.

And trust me it will easily be the worst coverage of a Football match you will ever see. Filled with ads and special comments by some jerk in a suit who will be surprised when Beckham doesn't run onto the park.

Craig Foster > Channel 7

Jetmaster
24-05-2013, 08:30 PM
^^^ Tend to agree a little...it was C7 who put the NSL highlights on, firstly at midnight, and then went all out to buy the rights and then not show any highlights at all so that they could give exclusive coverage to AFL.

Australian Broadcasting Corporation

TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT

LOCATION: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2002/s715216.htm

Broadcast: 30/10/2002
Soccer crisis escalating

Reporter: Peter Wilkins

KERRY O'BRIEN: Australian soccer missed out on a financial bonanza when the Socceroos failed to make the World Cup finals.

Now the game's governing body, Soccer Australia, is walking the tightrope of insolvency.

Crowds have plummeted for the national league and there's no television coverage of games.

Therein lies the key to this ongoing financial crisis.

The Seven TV network wants to re-negotiate its 10-year TV rights deal with Soccer Australia following the demise of its pay tv arm - C-7.

Seven wants to focus on international matches, ignore the national league, and pay less than the original contract figure for the privilege.

But as Peter Wilkins reports, the contract wrangle not only threatens to split the sport's already-divided board -- it may even result in a strike by players.

PETER WILKINS: The most watched sporting event in Australia this year - the World Cup soccer final.

Bigger than AFL and rugby league Grand Finals, 3.5 million viewers nationally.

For lovers of the local game in Australia, bad luck.

The national league season's in full swing and you can't see a match.

BRANKO CULINA, COACH, SYDNEY UNITED: I've seen some games where they're equal to any of the games overseas.

Some of the goals that we've seen at the NSL level this year have been absolutely world class.

But unfortunately no TV coverage, no-one can see it.

PETER WILKINS: Four years ago, the then chairman of Soccer Australia, David Hill, signed a 10-year TV rights deal with the Seven Network, the richest in the game's history.

Much to the frustration of stakeholders in the game, Seven farmed out the national league matches to the ABC and to its pay TV arm C7.

With the collapse of C7, no games are broadcast at all.

BRANCO CULINA: A lot of us believe that the game deserves better.

Earlier this year, Seven sought to renegotiate the deal, downgrading the value of the contract by about $6 million.

Seven also wanted to off-load coverage of the national league games.

Soccer chairman Ian Knop is under pressure from members of his own board to walk away from the Seven deal when the board meets next Monday.

IAN KNOP, CHAIRMAN, SOCCER AUSTRALIA: We're going to be discussing it for the Seven contract.

The issues around it are complex for the sport.

But, like Channel 7 has lost their pay TV operator.

So that changes not just the implications for soccer but it changes for all the other sports that are on pay.

And so we're in a difficult position, but so is Seven.

And the board is going to be discussing those issues.

And making some recommendations to the stakeholders.

And looking at the options.

PETER WILKINS: What are the positives, though, from your perspective of going through with the Channel 7 deal?

Why do you see it as being good for the game?

IAN KNOP: It's interesting how I've been quoted as being a huge supporter of Channel 7 et cetera, et cetera.

And I haven't actually made any public comment until now.

I think, what soccer has to do is look at the best commercial options and if Seven is one of those, terrific.

PETER WILKINS: But in a bizarre twist, the Seven Network has said Soccer Australia has already agreed to the new deal and today called on the board to acknowledge this publicly.

In a letter sent to all board members, Seven executive Shane Wood, until recently an observer on the board's financial activities, says: SHANE WOOD, SEVEN NETWORK, NEW MEDIA (TRANSCRIPT): In August 2002, following months of discussion, Seven and Soccer Australia successfully renegotiated the existing agreement.

There is a binding arrangement in place between Soccer Australia and Seven.

PETER WILKINS: That contradicts several Soccer Australia board members who've told the 7:30 Report there's been no authority given to clinch such a deal.

They point out that more than $1 million is still owing under the terms of the original contract.

Why is Channel 7 withholding a payment at the moment from their contract?

IAN KNOP: Look, I don't particularly want to comment on that.

That's between Soccer Australia and Channel 7.

PETER WILKINS: But it is putting a gun to Soccer Australia's head with this withholding of the payment?

IAN KNOP: I don't particularly want to comment.

My information is that it's quite a significant amount of money -- $630,000, from June.

It's $583,000 to be truthful I don't want to comment.

PETER WILKINS: Is another payment due now?

IAN KNOP: I don't want to comment.

PETER WILKINS: This afternoon, Seven confirmed to the 7:30 Report that it has not made these payments because: SHANE WOOD, SEVEN NETWORK, NEW MEDIA (TRANSCRIPT): There was a strong sense they would not honour the agreement and Seven did not want to be in a position of throwing good money after bad.

PETER WILKINS: The players Association, with a 30 per cent stake in all media rights, is strongly opposed to the new deal.

BRENDAN SCHWAB, PLAYERS' ASSOCIATION: It will bring about the demise of the National Soccer League as we know it.

Soccer Australia will be simply unable to finance the NSL beyond the current season and the clubs won't be able to pick up the tab for next year.

PETER WILKINS: This afternoon, the Players' Association advised the 7:30 Report that a player strike was possible if any deal had been agreed upon without its consultation.

BRENDAN SCHWAB: The point of view is a preferred outcome to the Channel Seven contract.

PETER WILKINS: Without the Channel Seven money, are you insolent?

IAN KNOP: No, we're not.

PETER WILKINS: Channel Seven is disappointed at the state of political infighting in the game they see as devaluing the property.

SHANE WOOD, SEVEN NETWORK, NEW MEDIA (TRANSCRIPT): The public coverage of this in-fighting has, without doubt, been responsible for bringing the game of soccer into serious disrepute in Australia.

BRANCO CULINA: I think our biggest problem is that we're always chasing money and making decisions that will affect us later on.

It's a bit like a gambler, you know, who goes out there and is losing money and to get money continues to get themselves into deeper and deeper problems.

ANDY HARPER, FORMER PLAYER AND COMMENTATOR: Well Peter, we've got to start again, totally.

The whole thing needs to be reconstituted.

Yo don't get rid of the muck in the bowl unless you hit the flush button.

PETER WILKINS: Andy Harper is sick of the decisive politics which he feels have held the game back.

ANDY HARPER: To a point there's agreement on what needs to be done.

But as soon as someone's neck is on the block, that agreement goes out the window and we start fighting for the votes again and the football side of things is neglected year after year after year.

PETER WILKINS: It's another crucial powerplay in Soccer Australia's history.

Chairman Ian Knop, trying to reform the game by initiating a government inquiry into the sport, has alienated himself and with the Seven deal, handing them rights to the cream of the game until 2010 given detractors a reason to call for his resignation.

The inquiry findings can't come soon enough.

Jeterpool
24-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Kochie and Mel to call the game.

Grant Denyer on the sidelines.

Nice one

The bloke from better homes commenting on the quality of the pitch.

belchardo
24-05-2013, 09:39 PM
celebrity half-time moto-cross race with lara bingle, tom waterhouse, the current miss australia and wendy harmer. game abandoned due to poor state of the pitch in the second half.

seldom
24-05-2013, 11:48 PM
hair lip harmer...forgot about her

hawk
25-05-2013, 01:23 AM
It means an A-League presence on free-to-air TV for the first time since Channel Ten showed David Beckham's LA Galaxy against Sydney FC in 2007.
The deal with Channel 7 comes in the wake of a broadcast deal for the whole A-League starting with the coming season that has one game a week, every Friday night, shown on SBS, as well as all five games each weekend broadcast on Fox Sports.
It's believed that Channel Ten also bid to show the two showpiece games in July, which were sold independently of each other, but were outbid by Channel 7, despite its broadcast of AFL every Saturday night.

This has fkall to do with the aleague. Its a piece of meaningless advert for some supposed o/s teams that most people hear about in the mainstream media coming to "play" some dudes who less than 1% of our population know about. This is about having a condescending laugh at the 5th aussie sport for a few minutes.

MFKS
25-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Obviously you were not around in the Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters era!

I didn't say that it will ruin Football to have 2 matches on 7, just that no matter what money they throw at it I don't think they should ever be allowed to broadcast Football again.

And trust me it will easily be the worst coverage of a Football match you will ever see. Filled with ads and special comments by some jerk in a suit who will be surprised when Beckham doesn't run onto the park.

Craig Foster > Channel 7

I was around in the days when NO ONE SCREWS SOCKAH LIKE CHANNEL 7 and they ****ed up the NSL by buying the TV rights and killing it off and butchered the **** out of the Socceroos games. I agree they are a bunch of first class ****s for what they did.

End of the day we need the likes of them Channel 9 and Channel 10 interested in our product POINT BLANK. If the only 2 options for TV rights are SBS who are government funded and have **** all cash to offer and Foxtel then we are pretty much stuck with what SBS can cough up and what Foxtel offer up as a token offering. As soon as 7-9-10 start showing serious interest in the TV rights we are stuck getting the dregs left over. Demand from competition will be the only thing that will see Foxtel up the offer seriously

Look at how much the AFL benefited a TV deal or so back when Kerry Packer via Channel 9 got into a bidding war with Channel 7 and Foxtel for the TV rights. The AFL got like $780 million which was a ginormous deal for them.

As for how bad the coverage is who gives a ****?? They are preseason kick abouts that will be hard enough viewing for seasoned football fans. These events are there to attract the new fan and cater to the starstruck celebrity following wankers out there. WHo cares how bad the coverage is.

On another note Channel 7 should be the last ****s to ever get serious Football TV rights in this country on principal for what they done.

This being said we need to bury the hatchet with them for our ****ing good

halo se7en
25-05-2013, 10:28 AM
This has fkall to do with the aleague. Its a piece of meaningless advert for some supposed o/s teams that most people hear about in the mainstream media coming to "play" some dudes who less than 1% of our population know about. This is about having a condescending laugh at the 5th aussie sport for a few minutes.

Less than 1% of our population know about them because they're never on FTA…. and now they will be, albeit for a only a couple of games…. and you're still having a whinge? FFS How is this "having a laugh"?? They're going to have full stadiums & see some of the best players in the world on Aussie soil. I can't see even ONE negative with any of this.

Thomas477
25-05-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm glad they're on FTA, but after what 7 did with the Beijing Olympics football (and my subsequent ban from the foz :gent: ), plus throwing in their witch hunt against Tim Cahill in 2010, which alot of people seem to be forgetting, I'm not a fan of them. I would have much prefered to hear SBS had got the rights, even if it wasn't as much, because at the end of the day, $2,000,000 for the FFA is a sizeable figure, but giving it to SBS for $1,000,000 wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Also, Halo lives!!!!! :p

plague
25-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Re: C7
Errrrrr lads.
It's now 2013, shit is different.
Let it go.

plague
25-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Edit:
Wot Hawk sed.
+1.

q-money
25-05-2013, 01:27 PM
who really gives a ****

pistolpete
25-05-2013, 01:36 PM
who really gives a ****

the voice of the people

GazFish35
25-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Devastated TVS didn't get it.

Premy
25-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Abbot wants to privatize SBS & ABC I wonder if this happens, if the new owners of SBS would be as supportive of football

Imyourhero
25-05-2013, 08:49 PM
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/272371,young-roos-lose-to-star-studded-dutch.aspx

Even though we lost 3-1, looks like there was some good signs from our boys Taggart and Hoole.

hawk
25-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Less than 1% of our population know about them because they're never on FTA…. and now they will be, albeit for a only a couple of games…. and you're still having a whinge? FFS How is this "having a laugh"?? They're going to have full stadiums & see some of the best players in the world on Aussie soil. I can't see even ONE negative with any of this.

ffs, it's a hollywood celeb show. this shite doesnt improve crowds for the aleague. not a surprise to see joe public fall for the wank fest. ive waxed lyrical about real football (an actual competition) not being on fta.

hawk
25-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Abbot wants to privatize SBS & ABC I wonder if this happens, if the new owners of SBS would be as supportive of football

no

militiamon
26-05-2013, 01:14 AM
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/272371,young-roos-lose-to-star-studded-dutch.aspx

Even though we lost 3-1, looks like there was some good signs from our boys Taggart and Hoole.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1072jz_samenvatting-jong-oranje-jong-australie-3-1-24-mei-2013_sport#.UaDCXZzcl4w

Paul Izzo, rubbish effort in the first half. Definitely looked way out of depth despite the talking up he has gotten in recent times.

Looked like a good showing from the Newy contingent though. Brillante with that bomb shot in the first half, Taggart with the almost-goal, and Hoole providing the goods for the actual goal. We might have actually stood a chance if that Ryan Williams du didn't butcher his 2 one-on-one chances.

Premy
26-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Mustafa looked pretty sharpe in that highlights package with better finishing he would of had 3 assist

Still a gypo C$@t but

The Dunster
26-05-2013, 11:06 AM

By convention Howard privatised the ABC many years ago. You need only watch their news / business programs to hear the neo-conservative bullshit they are pushing.

The ABC is so pathetic now that they don't even out politicians for telling lies unless told to do so by the corporates and think takns controlling them.

If privatised "officially" both ABC and SBS will disappear quicked than we can blink. Remember how great OneHD was before Packer and Murrdock colluded to turn it too shit ?

Well I would fear more of the same.

plague
26-05-2013, 06:59 PM
You need only watch their news / business programs to hear the neo-conservative bullshit they are pushing.

The ABC is so pathetic now that they don't even out politicians for telling lies unless told to do so by the corporates and think takns controlling them.

Wow, I must still get old skool ABC cause they are the same bunch of lefty hippy douchebags they've always been.
They get the token right winger on every now and then to sneer at them (Piers Akerman is usual cannon fodder).
From all reports portaits of Bob Brown and Michael Moore still adorn the lunchroom for all the comrades to bow to before getting stuck into their ethically grown lentils.

Sokkah will be fine without any of that lot.
The hate media and their sports section are the future.

My2BobsWorth
26-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Obvious Liberal voter, Mr Plague-McCloy

seldom
27-05-2013, 01:56 AM

ouch...fvckn lol

plague
27-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Heh heh heh.
Seriously though if you think I want to live in a world in which Christopher Pyne and Joe Hockey have any authority you lot are ****ing deluded!!
Clive Palmer for Commander in Chief.

There's a whole thread for this stuff elsewhere come over for a chat it's quite enlightening.

Back on topic.
Middleby OUT.

pv4
27-05-2013, 09:18 AM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1072jz_samenvatting-jong-oranje-jong-australie-3-1-24-mei-2013_sport#.UaDCXZzcl4w

Paul Izzo, rubbish effort in the first half. Definitely looked way out of depth despite the talking up he has gotten in recent times.

Looked like a good showing from the Newy contingent though. Brillante with that bomb shot in the first half, Taggart with the almost-goal, and Hoole providing the goods for the actual goal. We might have actually stood a chance if that Ryan Williams du didn't butcher his 2 one-on-one chances.

have never understood the hype about izzo tbh. nor with velaphi (even though nowadays he isn't getting much at all). have just never rated either of those two prospects.

credit to james pascoe - probably the only person in newcastle who predicted hoole would reach the heights he is now, in the early days.

our defence looked pretty awful at times judging solely from that clip - tell me any other decent professional defence who has their centre backs so far apart from each other.

you're not wrong about williams - could have definately made it such a closer game.

would have been good to watch the whole match tbh.

brillante's beard is getting out of control

militiamon
27-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Ya, good call on the defence. Izzo made a mess of those goals, but no ignoring the leaky defence that gifted the Dutch the opportunities. It's getting a bit worrying now that we haven't produced any decent defenders at the national level for the last few groups of these youth teams.

I definitely wanted to see more of the game as well though, hard to tell from the highlights how much of a say we were having in the game which is the thing I was more interested in. Looked like we came into it more in the second half but I don't know whether that was just because of subs. Also curious as to what position/role Hoole was playing, it looked more like a right wing than right back which is good to see.

PS T West connection to this story with Pascoe being the head PE teacher at T West High for a short amount of time :cool: Oversaw many a bust-up in the corridor outside the boys change rooms.

Retro Jet
27-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Fastest hatty in under 3 minutes article.

A Tasmanian soccer :sigh: (Football) player has smashed the record for Australia's fastest hat-trick.

Kostas Kanakaris from the South Hobart club banged in three goals in just two minutes and 51 seconds in the statewide Victory League two weeks ago.

Officials have been on a frenetic search through the record books since and Football Federation Australia statistician Andrew Howe has declared the hat-trick the fastest in semi-professional or national league football.

"We've been scouring the records and can't find any evidence of a faster hat-trick in Australian national or state league history," Howe said.

"While national league luminaries such as Damian Mori, Shane Smeltz and Con Boutsianis have each scored hat-tricks in under 10 minutes, it looks like no one has ever done it in less than three minutes before."

The fastest national league hat-trick was scored in six minutes in 1996 by the Newcastle Breakers' Jason Bennett in a 6-1 win over West Adelaide.

Kanakaris's haul came in an 11-0 away thumping of South Launceston on May 12.

The 23-year-old returned from his Greek fourth division club this season to play in the Tasmanian league, which is sponsored by the Melbourne Victory A-League club.

"I was pretty happy that two of my goals were pretty good ones," he said.

"The first one from the corner was the fault of the keeper but that's how football is."
Kanakaris, who says he has ambitions to play in the A-League, was presented with a plaque from Football Federation Tasmania on Monday.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/17342295/tassie-star-nets-fastest-aussie-hat-trick/

Nice to see Jason Bennett getting a mention.
The 'Jason Bennett song' was sung muchly that night :lol:

(Tune = Mexican Hat dance)
We'd rather have Bennet than Kennett
We'd rather have Bennet than Kennett
We'd rather have Bennett than Kennett....
Cause Kennett is such a big ***t

And speaking of Mexican,
Interesting that point about the Tards sponsoring a club.

GazFish35
27-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I read it that they sponsored the league.

Premy
27-05-2013, 10:26 PM
I didn't really know where to post this but Melbourne Knights and Green Gully 2 big Victorian Clubs have decided to not submit entry into the FFV NPL. I think this saga will carry on for some time this could have huge ramifications

pv4
27-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I read it that they sponsored the league.

yep they sponsor the whole tas league

Jetmaster
28-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Kewell to Feart ?

Harry Kewell poised to sign with Melbourne Heart

David Davutovic and Matt Windley

May 28, 2013 12:00AM

HARRY Kewell is on the verge of signing for Melbourne Heart.

In a move that would add spice to the cross-town rivalry with Kewell's former club Victory, the celebrated Australian player would bring Heart enormous on-field benefits and publicity.

But confusion surrounds the deal as a press conference for tomorrow has been called off.

Heart chief executive Scott Munn yesterday confirmed Heart's interest in the Australian international.

"We are keen to sign him, but no deal has been done," Munn said.

"I'd be lying if I said (coach) John Aloisi hadn't spoken to him, but he spoke to several players while in Europe.

"We believe he'd be a fantastic addition and we need players with a winner's mentality."

Aloisi, who played with Kewell in the 2006 World Cup, met him to discuss a potential move in November.

Kewell scored eight goals in 25 matches in the 2011-12 season for Victory which generated huge interest in the club.

Many Victory fans still wear his No.22.

Kewell was on the verge of signing a new two-year deal with Victory worth more than $1 million a season, but instead returned to England to be closer to his family and ill mother in-law.

He failed to attract interest from English Premier League clubs last season.

Kewell arrived at Stoke for a trial, but was turned away.

The club said at the time: "(Kewell) turned up out of the blue, wasn't expected by anyone, had a five-minute conversation with our manager and left."

The Socceroos legend was reportedly against a move to the English Championship.

Kewell split with long-time manager Bernie Mandic in late 2011. He linked with Shane Warne's manager James Erskine, but their short-lived arrangement ended earlier this year.

It had been rumoured the Newcastle Jets was a likely destination if Kewell was to play in the A-League next season.

The 34-year-old signed a short-term deal as an injury replacement for Qatari club Al-Gharafa in April. He played three games for the club -- the only three he has played since his last match for Victory in March 2012.

Kewell was last year voted Australia's greatest footballer, but national team boss Holger Osieck insisted he was not fit enough to play in World Cup qualifiers against Japan, Jordan and Iraq.

"But the door is definitely not closed, that's a fact as well," Osieck said last week.

Kewell will become the fourth Victory player, after Mate Dugandzic, Aziz Behich and Kristian Sarkies, to defect to Heart.

Looks like his missus has got to choose again.....can see no value in going to Heart this year except for the coin.

Jeterpool
28-05-2013, 10:04 AM
I guess playing under Gary was significant enough a turn-off when compared to playing with his mate Bridgey.

Kewell would have slotted in the number 10 spot nicely, I think.

But I guess it's not over until it's confirmed - could be a ploy to get more coin from Newcastle IF we are in for him.

Jetmaster
28-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Adam Peacock just tweeted that he will be paid minimum wage.....$48K !!!

28-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Marketing rule 101. For every negative story out there for an organisation trump up a positive.

Were we ever really interested in HK ?. I think not but the publicity the story got was a nice distraction for Palmer, Middleby and GVE at a time they needed it most.

Jeterpool
28-05-2013, 11:15 AM

:sigh:

plague
28-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Plus 'image rights'.
Plus 'crowd bonus'
Plus 'living expenses'
Plus '3rd party sponsorships'
Plus 'walk around money'
Plus 'Spearmint Rhino stripper dollars'

28-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Plus " full acces to all of Aloisi's cardigans ".
Plus " unlimited supply of Pizza Hut home delivered by none other than Hayden " Douggy " Foxe in full kit ".

BodyNovo
28-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Plus 'image rights'.
Plus 'crowd bonus'
Plus 'living expenses'
Plus '3rd party sponsorships'
Plus 'walk around money'
Plus 'Spearmint Rhino stripper dollars'

I reckon he would be more of a kittens man.

BodyNovo
28-05-2013, 01:04 PM
also can't wait for the signing of a ribiero, drovandi, jasper, etc bloke, who the club will think is a better alternative than the guy voted Australia's greatest ever Socceroo.

Jeterpool
28-05-2013, 01:10 PM
also can't wait for the signing of a ribiero, drovandi, jasper, etc bloke, who the club will think is a better alternative than the guy voted Australia's greatest ever Socceroo.

Don't forget old Donny DeGroot!

If the club want to achieve a similar number of members for next season, he was the bloke who would help achieve that. I don't see it happening without it.

pv4
28-05-2013, 01:17 PM
i imagine he was only ever interested in playing in a major city - kinda like what lucas neill said when he came back.

the club would have sold so many kewell shirts if he signed with us. i hope they had an incredibly decent stab at signing him - they only needed to look at the amount of heskey shirts getting around to realise how much our fans appreciate a legitimate signing.

joel31
28-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Don't forget Jardel or Zura either

GazFish35
28-05-2013, 01:39 PM
bring back Girff.

it so simple.

plague
28-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Pffffft, you blokes.
Haven't you heard about the hoards of people signing up as new members next year because we signed Joey Gibbs.

Jeterpool
28-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Pffffft, you blokes.
Haven't you heard about the hoards of people signing up as new members next year because we signed Joey Gibbs.

Joey Gibbs - the new JG. :sigh:

Jetmaster
28-05-2013, 02:15 PM
GVE - "no Bridgey, Harry just wouldn't suit our system....we don't need anyone on the left, why do you think we let Griff go ? And the Mexican number 10 I'm watching on Youtube will cover that spot as long as we get his defence sorted."

Premy
28-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Heart release Thompson to sign Kewell.
Jets pass on Kewell and sign Thompson.
Middleby and GVE logic

BodyNovo
28-05-2013, 03:16 PM
josh Mitchell to really step up next year......:o

pv4
28-05-2013, 03:43 PM
josh Mitchell to really step up next year......:o

JM would go fine in a team that didn't rely on it's centre backs to play with the majority of the ball, whilst the whole time only having at maximum one option (usually marked out of the game, or backwards) to pass it to.

paging vj and all that - regardless of who we buy and have playing at centre back, if gve doesn't stop with this super-rigid 4-3-3 formation, with our high & wide guys being refused any freedom to move from one spot (which is usually behind the wide back and basically cancelling themselves out of games), every centre back we have playing for us is going to look shit because we're (a) going to continually pass it to the opposition due to no options & (b) be under constant pressure in defence.

if we had an experienced, level-headed number 10 player (like kewell) - he'd tell the likes of virgilli & co playing that high and wide position that they're too far away from the ball and he'll demand they come find it, and hence become another option, and hence we have possession in a higher location on the field (which is what i thought gve's philosophy was all about). we don't have anyone experienced or level-headed enough to do that in the current squad - bridges is experienced enough, but is too busy flicking the ball into the oppositions legs to lead by example & all that, and brown is not experienced nor confident enough.

plague
28-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Just reading Club Brugge paid about $200k to the Gypos for Matt Ryan for compensation even though he was off contract (and get top ups if Brugge sell him for profit later on).

How much of a transfer did we get for our under-contract-leading-scorer Ryan Griffiths again?

Oh that's right, **** all.

If Middleby and co can't handle a simple bit of business like that how are we ever supposed to get anyone any good ever?
Forget Kewell etc, start embracing the Mitchell/Gibbs era.

Middleby OUT.

Jeterpool
28-05-2013, 03:59 PM
JM would go fine in a team that didn't rely on it's centre backs to play with the majority of the ball, whilst the whole time only having at maximum one option (usually marked out of the game, or backwards) to pass it to.

paging vj and all that - regardless of who we buy and have playing at centre back, if gve doesn't stop with this super-rigid 4-3-3 formation, with our high & wide guys being refused any freedom to move from one spot (which is usually behind the wide back and basically cancelling themselves out of games), every centre back we have playing for us is going to look shit because we're (a) going to continually pass it to the opposition due to no options & (b) be under constant pressure in defence.

if we had an experienced, level-headed number 10 player (like kewell) - he'd tell the likes of virgilli & co playing that high and wide position that they're too far away from the ball and he'll demand they come find it, and hence become another option, and hence we have possession in a higher location on the field (which is what i thought gve's philosophy was all about). we don't have anyone experienced or level-headed enough to do that in the current squad - bridges is experienced enough, but is too busy flicking the ball into the oppositions legs to lead by example & all that, and brown is not experienced nor confident enough.

Too much sense for this forum, let alone the Jets Management

Beeen
28-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Bring Johnny T back

Jeterpool
28-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Bring Johnny T back

If only!

pv4
28-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Just reading Club Brugge paid about $200k to the Gypos for Matt Ryan for compensation even though he was off contract (and get top ups if Brugge sell him for profit later on).

How much of a transfer did we get for our under-contract-leading-scorer Ryan Griffiths again?

Oh that's right, **** all.

If Middleby and co can't handle a simple bit of business like that how are we ever supposed to get anyone any good ever?
Forget Kewell etc, start embracing the Mitchell/Gibbs era.

Middleby OUT.

it's called something like training compensation. pretty sure we got similar for nick carle & james holland & all/most of our other exports.

middleby confirmed we did get a transfer fee for RG, he just refused to even give an idea on how much. pretty sure it's all because of tinkler's tax stuff.

ccm just let bojic go to sydney for free - at the end of the day if a player doesn't want to play for a club, their contracts mean sfa as they're just going to ride the pine & whinge the whole time.

GazFish35
28-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Joey Gibbs - the new JG. :sigh:

Hope they play him in 9 and he scores a hat full.

Next well sign Jimmy Greaves.

My2BobsWorth
28-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Member will have to change his avatar again

plague
28-05-2013, 08:30 PM
middleby confirmed we did get a transfer fee for RG, he just refused to even give an idea on how much. pretty sure it's all because of tinkler's tax stuff.

- at the end of the day if a player doesn't want to play for a club, their contracts mean sfa as they're just going to ride the pine & whinge the whole time.

Without going over my reasoning (it's in another part of the thread somewhere) I will respectfully disagree with both of these statements.
I'm sorry but Im way past giving this management the benefit of the doubt to get anything right.

Anyway, Jimmy Greaves, no shit I met that bloke once. He was in a lift with Marco Van Basten. True story.

28-05-2013, 09:16 PM
If i remember correctly it was only after a significant time lapse and plenty of questions raised through public forums did the club come out and say we got something for RG.

GazFish35
28-05-2013, 10:17 PM
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/peterubel/files/2013/02/truthlies.gif

militiamon
29-05-2013, 12:56 AM
If i remember correctly it was only after a significant time lapse and plenty of questions raised through public forums did the club come out and say we got something for RG.

Yep, kidding yourself if you think we got anywhere near what he was worth to us (as plague pointed out, top goal scorer, leaving mid-season).

I don't agree with a lot of the baseless criticism that is aimed at the club these days, but that was a definite case of shit management.

29-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Just another example of why Palmer and Middleby should have nothing to do with this club.

Jetmaster
29-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Tweet from Fox Sports...

A second #ALeague club enters race to sign Harry Kewell with reports @NewcastleJetsFC have made an offer to the Socceroos star @FOXFOOTBALL

Hmmmm

Jeterpool
29-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Tweet from Fox Sports...

Hmmmm

Getting interesting!

lquiquer
29-05-2013, 09:52 AM
And the world game reports that we are out of the race for HK..!!!!?????

Jeterpool
29-05-2013, 10:16 AM
So basically nobody knows for sure.

Possible leak by Jets to appease disgruntled fans and allow them to say "we tried"?

Cynical view I know. And I hope this isn't the case

29-05-2013, 10:43 AM
The record of current management justifies your cynicism.

BodyNovo
29-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Just read in the herald, Gary referring to joey Gibbs as like Matt Simon. Ffs. Buys gypos, talks about them as gypos....jeez

plague
29-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Just read in the herald, Gary referring to joey Gibbs as like Matt Simon. Ffs. Buys gypos, talks about them as gypos....jeez
Middleby set to announce fan vote for 2014-15 away strips.
Option 1. Blue with yellow stripes.
Option 2. Yellow with blue stripes.
Option 3. Blue and yellow stripes.

Middleby out.

coastiehater
29-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Jets just said on twitter hk not coming to newy

q-money
29-05-2013, 11:37 AM
can confirm we are in talks with sheva

Jeterpool
29-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Jets just said on twitter hk not coming to newy

Anticipate an interview with the Herald tomorrow along the lines of.

"The club tried very hard to persuade Harry to join the playing squad here in Newcastle. The prospect of reuniting with Emile and Bridgey was enticing to him, however the club was forced to withdraw the offer of a contract when the review of Harry's application found he was over the age of 21. Furthermore, having a player of Harry's standards does not fit with the philosophy of the club who want to develop and mentor players because in this case, Harry had already developed as a player. The club also took every measure to block Bridgey from getting access to Tinks should he seek assistance getting this deal over the line. The club wish Harry every success and look forward to him appearing for the Heart at Hunter Stadium in Round 7."

Or something like that....

Jetmaster
29-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Here it is.....

Jets statement regarding Harry Kewell

The Newcastle Jets had been in talks with Harry Kewell since February however the Club can confirm he won’t be at the Jets next season.

“Harry’s credentials speak for themselves and we were obviously interested in discussing the possibility of him joining the Jets,” CEO Robbie Middleby said.

"Negotiations progressed to an offer, but unfortunately Harry deemed it to be unsuitable for him and his family.

“We hope to see him playing in the A-League, because having players of his calibre competing in our league benefits all Clubs.”

The majority of the Newcastle Jets squad returned to pre-season training at Ray Watt Oval on Monday morning, as they begin their preparations for the 2013/14 A-League season.

Zzzzzzzzzzz - and so life goes on...in the meantime Harry has done a runner anyway..

Melbourne Heart has been forced to delay its much-anticipated unveiling of Harry Kewell – because it doesn't know where he is.

Heart CEO Scott Munn arrived in London on Monday expecting to ink an incentive-based contract with Kewell, who had agreed to play for the minimum wage of $48,000 as the club’s stellar capture for the 2013-2014 A-League season.

The contract includes a pay-per-play component which would send his salary well into six figures.

Instead, Heart officials have been left hanging on nervously wondering whether Kewell, 34, is making an eleventh hour attempt to join a European club rather than commit to a homecoming.

Planning was so far advanced in the great Kewell caper that pay-tv had been alerted and was on standby to beam his anointment as a Heart player back to Australia.

However, Munn and the TV cameras have been forced to wait.

Munn – who did not answer calls on Tuesday – remains in the English capital anticipating Kewell’s return, and confirmation that he will commit to Heart.

It’s believed that Socceroos coach Holger Osieck’s preference for Australian players to opt for Europe over the A-League, Asia and the Middle East whenever possible may be weighing on Kewell’s mind as he ponders his next, and final, career move.

He was overlooked for June’s FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Japan, Jordan and Iraq after not being deemed fit enough following nine months out of the game and just a four-match stint with Al Gharafa in Qatar as an injury replacement for Mark Bresciano.

This potential setback has ominous echoes of Heart’s last venture into the market for a big-name Socceroo when Australia skipper Lucas Neill flirted outrageously with the club four months ago only to dump it at the altar and opt for Sydney FC instead. He subsequently apologised for the backflip.

Heart officials will be hoping it’s not a case of history repeats and sources in England say Kewell may very well still sign with Heart and a make a second coming to Melbourne after his one-season stint with crosstown rival Victory brought mixed reviews and ended with his exit to England for family reasons just over a year ago.

However, his disappearance has left the club on tenterhooks.

Newcastle Jets, the other major A-League player in the race for the former Leeds, Liverpool and Galatasaray star was knocked out of the running with the club unwilling to up its ante by $100,000, leaving Heart with a seemingly free run.

MFKS
29-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Negotiations progressed to an offer, but unfortunately Harry deemed it to be unsuitable for him and his family.

“We hope to see him playing in the A-League, because having players of his calibre competing in our league benefits all Clubs.”

???
So if Heart have offered him minimum wage of 48k and he has apparently accepted what did we offer him that was unsuitable to HK and his family???

Gotta seriously wonder about the ****tards who run our club. If a player of his calibre is going for 48k a season why aren't we gazumping our rivals with a last minute bid and stealing him from under the nose of someone else??

Considering we are gonna sign some hacks to fill up our squad spots why not sign him??

At 34 he isn't as washed up as most would believe and could still do a great job in the HAL.

Thomas477
29-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Why does that not surprise me that he's trying to whore himself out to some second grade European team rather than play again in the A-League?

FFS.

???
So if Heart have offered him minimum wage of 48k and he has apparently accepted what did we offer him that was unsuitable to HK and his family???

Gotta seriously wonder about the ****tards who run our club. If a player of his calibre is going for 48k a season why aren't we gazumping our rivals with a last minute bid and stealing him from under the nose of someone else??

Considering we are gonna sign some hacks to fill up our squad spots why not sign him??

At 34 he isn't as washed up as most would believe and could still do a great job in the HAL.

Could also be that he owns a property in Melbourne, hence has a place to live, whereas moving here he would have to find a place to rent for 12 months. Or he wants to be here for a while, ie longer than 12 months.

Tommyjet
29-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Further incentives to the deal apparently, I think I read it will be based on how many games he plays, if he plays all of them it would be in the 100,000's +

BodyNovo
29-05-2013, 01:11 PM
jerk fans thinking we are a premier league club and saying he's past it, has no desire and is only in it for the money incentive.

ffs the bloke is absolutely going to be busting his gut to make the world cup, people also seem to forget Heskey is a year older as well.

pv4
29-05-2013, 01:34 PM
he just wants to live in a capital city. we were never seriously in the running

MFKS
29-05-2013, 01:51 PM
he just wants to live in a capital city. we were never seriously in the running

Capital City my arse

The poor bloke has lived in leeds and liverpool

Doing that you can't complain about any place Australia would offer up bar the Gypo Coast.

Remember catching the train into liverpool one day. Overcast and dark day weather wise. Remember looking at the cess pit outside thinking i had arrived in hell

Jeterpool
29-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Remember catching the train into liverpool one day. Overcast and dark day weather wise. Remember looking at the cess pit outside thinking i had arrived in hell

Sure that wasn't Manchester? :gent:

Swifts
29-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Kewell is getting a $952,000 haircut according to Fox Sports:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/harry-kewell-poised-to-sign-with-melbourne-heart/story-e6frf4gl-1226652733297#.UaW4loWaJ4s

http://i40.tinypic.com/258z32e.png

Harry Kewell will take a $952,000 haircut if he joins Melbourne Heart.

The 34-year-old has all but agreed to play for Heart next season, 11 months after sensationally quitting Melbourne Victory for family reasons.

Having renegotiated a new deal after signing an incentive-based one in his first Victory season, Kewell walked away from $1m a season through to 2014.

Now Kewell is about to sign an A-League minimum wage agreement for $48,000.

Former Victory teammate Archie Thompson, who is in Japan with the Socceroos, revealed that Kewell had been in touch this week.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Content

Reaction: Make sure Kewell is fit: Durakovic + 1
Return: Carle pumped for Sydney return
Cheap: Kewell to Heart on 'minimum wage' + 12
Comeback: Heart ready to sign Kewell + 13

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"I actually text him last night to see how he was and he text me back saying that I'll be back and we'll play golf soon," Thompson said.

"So whether that was an indication that he was going to sign at Heart, I hope so.

"I'd still like him to be at Victory because most of the players here think he's still got so much to offer.

"He's always controversial when it comes to his changing of clubs (laughs).

"You can't hate on him, he left for family reasons and you can't begrudge a player choosing family over football."

Kewell had hoped to sign with an English club to be close to his wife and ill mother-in-law but no firm offers eventuated.

After 10 months out of the game Kewell signed in Qatar in April, completing a six-week stint as injury replacement for Mark Bresciano at Al Gharafa, scoring one goal in five appearances.

Newcastle Jets were favourites to sign Kewell having remained in regular contact but seven months after he and coach John Aloisi met in Melbourne, the deal finally looks to be concluded.

Another Socceroos teammate Mark Milligan spent half a season with Kewell at Victory.

"It's not a massive surprise because we all know how much Harry loved being in Melbourne," Milligan said.

"It would definitely add to the rivalry but it's good for him and good for Australian football."

Thompson believes Kewell still has plenty to offer club and country.

"You couldn't judge him on that season because we were poor right across the park and the whole club was a debacle that year and it would've been hard for Messi to weave some magic that year," he said.

"You can't say that he's past it because towards the end of that season he was fit and starting to play some good football and I'm sure Ange (Postecoglou) would've loved him.

"So we want him to put kilometres in the legs because of the World Cup because he's a key player."

Read more: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/football/a-league/harry-kewell-poised-to-sign-with-melbourne-heart/story-e6frf4gl-1226652733297#ixzz2UfW8OlKc

Swifts
29-05-2013, 07:33 PM
$48,000 in wages and a $952,000 haircut = $1million package. This is probably why the Jets couldn't compete with Melbourne Heart's offer.

My2BobsWorth
29-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Is that frankendavid I can smell

boz-monaut
29-05-2013, 08:31 PM
you'd want your pubes trimmed as well for that much

scozzygt
29-05-2013, 08:47 PM
:whistling:
:lol:

Jetmaster
30-05-2013, 08:47 AM
This mornings Herald.....

COMMENT: Jets need rethink

By JAMES GARDINER
May 29, 2013, 10:44pm

A COMMENTATOR on social media wrote "bad news for Jets fans" after the A-League club confirmed yesterday that Harry Kewell had turned down an offer to join Newcastle.
See your ad here

Kewell is reported to be close to signing with Melbourne Heart, but is that really such bad news for the Jets?

At the very least, signing Kewell, even on an incentive-weighted contract, would have been an enormous gamble.

Yes, Kewell would generate headlines, create hype, increase merchandise sales and prompt some back-slapping among Hunter Sports Group management.

But if you look past the commercial aspect, which in itself is no certainty given Kewell's fading star, and consider it purely on football terms, how much has Harry to give, and would he be a good fit for the Jets?

Virtually clubless since leaving Melbourne Victory at the end of the 2011-12 season for family reasons, the 35-year-old is trying to revive a career that has been on the slide for some time.

At the Victory, it took Kewell half a season to get fit and fully into stride after a prolonged absence.

He finished the second half of the campaign with a bang before his stay was cut short when his wife's mother took ill and he returned to England.

Since then his playing history consists of a recent three-match stint with Qatari club Al-Gharafa as an injury replacement for Mark Bresciano.

Significantly, he was not offered a more permanent move, nor did any other club in the Middle East see enough to sign him.

Kewell's motivation is the Socceroos and being on the plane to Brazil in 2014 - if Australia qualify.

It is dangerous to knock a champion, which Kewell undoubtedly is.

But can he still deliver in 2013?

Football nous doesn't fade with time - Kewell's good friend and reborn Jets striker Michael Bridges is proof of that.

But it will be nearly two years since Kewell had consistent game time by the October 11 A-League kick-off.

Will the former poster boy still have the spring in the step, the ability to find that yard of space to unleash the rocket left foot, and the capacity for the defensive duties required in the A-League?

There is also the matter of where Kewell would slot into the Jets' set-up.

When Gary van Egmond returned to the helm two years ago he was given the mandate of promoting youth, a natural fit given his time at the Australian Institute of Sport.

Short-term pain for long-term gain was the thought process in terms of on-field success and potential to sell players overseas.

The arrival of Italian maestro Alessandro del Piero at Sydney FC moved the goalposts dramatically.

Next thing you know, 34-year-old Emile Heskey is signed, sealed and delivered to Hunter Stadium.

Heskey, to his credit, scored nine goals and made a seamless transition into the dressing room.

But his arrival forced a last-minute change in mindset and tactics away from the possession-based, high-pressing game the coach had implemented.

The result was the Jets finished eighth on the ladder, a rung down from the previous season.

Here we are, another pre-season, another seeming shift in direction.

In a statement yesterday, the Jets confirmed they had been in talks with Kewell since February.

"Negotiations progressed to an offer, but unfortunately Harry deemed it to be unsuitable for him and his family," Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby said.

So where does that leave the Jets?

Will it be a return to the youth policy with a modified game to suit Heskey, or are they looking for another big name?

As it stands, they have filled 20 places in the 23-man roster.

However, they have the flexibility to extend that by three.

Connor Chapman, Mitch Cooper and Mitch Oxborrow are under 20 and eligible to be moved outside the 23-man A-League roster.

The club has the option of signing an Australian marquee, vacated by Ryan Griffiths's departure to China, whose wage is not included in the $2.5 million salary cap.

Last season Ben Kantarovski was the club's Australian under-23 marquee player, so his contract was outside the cap. Whether it remains so this season or is moved back under the cap will have a significant bearing on the club's ability to sign new players.

If the concessions for under-20 players, Australian marquee and under-23 marquee are not used, that will effectively slice nearly $500,000 off the Jets' wage bill.

The Jets are weighing up their options at the moment, but a cut in the football budget would not be a surprise given the financial pressure owner Nathan Tinkler is under.

Things can change quickly, as the signing of Heskey, who is on $750,000 a season, and the offer to Kewell proves.

The Jets are in the market for a centre back and a winger.

Middleby told the Herald this week they would loosen the purse strings - using the concessions available - for the right player if it was deemed commercially viable.

Hopefully, the commercial aspects of recruitment won't outweigh the footballing needs of the Jets.

Jetmaster
30-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Also....

GALLERY: Zadkovich's northern exposure

By JAMES GARDINER
May 29, 2013, 10:44 p.m.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1537241/gallery-zadkovichs-northern-exposure/?cs=306

ELCHO Island is a remote settlement off the coast of Arnhem Land.
See your ad here

The island is 55 kilometres long, six kilometres wide, and home to the largest indigenous community in north-east Arnhem Land.

About 2000 people live in the main township of Galiwin'ku, of whom 48 per cent are under 20 years old. Only 7 per cent are over 50.

Food is transported in by barge. There is no alcohol or petrol on the island.

Housing is basic. Dogs roam the streets and kids run around with bare feet.

For the past two years it has been the off-season destination of Jets captain Ruben Zadkovich.

Zadkovich's brother Simon is a remote-area nurse for Marthakal Homelands Health Service.

He has a masters degree in indigenous health and has spent nearly two years caring for and educating the local community.

"Being up there in those indigenous communities is certainly an eye-opener," Zadkovich told the Newcastle Herald after resuming pre-season training this week.

"You soon realise that some of the health problems aren't an easy fix, because their way of living is so different to ours.

"The respect and admiration you have for people like my brother just grows each day you are there, people who devote their lives to helping others.

"It really makes you think and puts a lot of things in perspective.

"I feel that we could do more to respect and empower indigenous people all over Australia, and that the government could do more to help.

"The experience certainly pulls you into line and makes you very grateful for everything we have here.

"Sometimes it makes you wonder whether we have just a little too much, more than we actually need.

"It makes you appreciate all the small things."

The Jets midfielder has visited Elcho Island three times.

He took long-time Bulli friend Michael Davey on his latest journey north.

"He is about to be a dad for the first time and said the experience has given him a lot of perspective," Zadkovich said.

"It makes him want to be a good dad.

"You see the kids up there who don't have half what we have."

Elcho Island was the inspiration for the song My Island Home, which was performed by Christine Anu at the closing ceremony of the Sydney Olympic Games and became a worldwide hit.

"If you travel 500 metres out of the town to the homeland, people there still live the traditional way," Zadkovich said.

"They are the traditional saltwater people.

"The land is truly beautiful. The sunsets, the amazing fishing, spearing mud crabs and goannas, the music, the dancing, the culture.

"The people are at one with the land.

"They spear turtles and mud crabs for food.

"You see them out up to their necks in water among the sharks and crocodiles.

"They respect the ocean and their traditions, and while we were there we had to be very wary to make sure we showed our respect."

Zadkovich followed his Northern Territory adventure with a road trip up the coast with his girlfriend in his trusty Kombi.

"We went up to Noosa and back and surfed all the great spots, Crescent Head, Lennox . . . got good waves, too," he said.

"It was nice to have that time off. I got to do everything I needed to do.

"Now it is back to work."

The Jets opened the pre-season with a successful trip to Singapore, where they won a six-a-side tournament, before regrouping this week for the first main phase of their preparation.

It will be Zadkovich's first full campaign with the captain's armband, which he inherited after injury to and then the departure of Jobe Wheelhouse midway through last season.

The Jets finished a disappointing eighth last campaign, the third straight year they have missed the finals.

After turning over nearly half the squad the previous off-season, the Jets have retained the nucleus of last year's squad.

"We will take so much out of last year, " Zadkovich said.

"Not just what happened on the pitch, but off it.

"People fitting in, attitudes, people living in Newcastle - all those things.

"The nucleus of that squad has stayed and I think that will really benefit us.

"We can get on with it and really work hard."

There are more than four months before the Jets kick off the A-League season against Alessandro Del Piero's Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on October 11.

Although there is work to be done on a number of fronts, Zadkovich believed the club's success at the Singapore Sixes was the ideal springboard.

"It was great for team bonding and the games were brilliant as well," Zadkovich said.

"The only unfortunate thing about it was that the whole squad wasn't there.

"The boys did really well, we applied ourselves and we won it, and I guess that's the start of something good this season.

"Having a lot of young guys last season, they want to win, of course, but they're still developing that understanding of how to win and how to close out a game.

"It might be the small things that get you over the line, and that competitiveness is something we really need to focus on.

"We've got to have that mongrel in us if we really want to go on with it this year."

Rubez...:wub::wub:

Imyourhero
30-05-2013, 12:24 PM
I personally believe he can still deliver. I remember watching him play back at victory and clearly seeing how far ahead his first touch, passing range, movement and positioning was of everybody else on the pitch. Yes his injury list is a gamble however surely this is manageable by a good medical team. I for one can't wait to see him back in the A league.

Tommyjet
30-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Kewell won't be a jet next season, lets move on.

Would really like at least the centreback be signed soon so he can start working with regs and chaps

MFKS
30-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Kewell won't be a jet next season, lets move on.

Would really like at least the centreback be signed soon so he can start working with regs and chaps

Why do we need a new central defender??

What makes you think the untried pairing of Scott Neville and Josh Mitchell in central defence won't work??

The Egg tried every other combo last season bar this one.

Maybe that was the season downfall??

Rocknerd
30-05-2013, 01:59 PM

What makes you think the untried pairing of Scott Neville and Josh Mitchell in central defence won't work??

Mainly because Neville is a Donkey who can't do much more than run with a ball at his feet.

MFKS
30-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Mainly because Neville is a Donkey who can't do much more than run with a ball at his feet.

He can take a damn fine throw in though

coastiehater
30-05-2013, 02:52 PM
apparently heart have been knocked back in a bid for grant holt from norwich. tell em theyre dreamin'

hawk
30-05-2013, 04:13 PM

:rof:

30-05-2013, 05:09 PM

Now you are just being plain disrespectful to donkeys.

belchardo
01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/ffa-director-moya-dodd-joins-fifa-executive-committee/story-fndkzvnd-1226654899117

Moya Dodd (FFA director) elected to FIFA ExCo for a year. good news.

Pico
03-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Musialik thrilled after getting back in game

By JAMES GARDINER
June 2, 2013, 11 p.m

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/47***4dd-6b53-4f72-9c57-f828df968414.jpg
HOPEFUL: Stuart Musialik gets on the ball during his comeback at Macquarie Field on Saturday. Picture: Simone De Peak

STUART Musialik felt like his boots were made of cement but otherwise the reborn midfielder was satisfied with his 30-minute shift off the bench in the Jets youth team’s 2-0 upset loss to Lake Macquarie at Macquarie Field on Saturday.

The clash with the Roosters was Musialik’s first competitive hitout in more than a year as the 28-year-old works towards reviving an A-League career at his home-town club.

‘‘We had a solid week of training with the senior squad and my legs were really heavy,’’ Musialik told the Herald.

‘‘I was expecting that. It has been a long time since my last game.

‘‘I started training in April but had a setback with a hip injury.

‘‘That ruled me out for about five weeks, so I was pretty much back to square one.

‘‘Once I got into the game, strung a few passes together, and started to read things, I was okay.

‘‘Thirty minutes is a good starting point, but we will obviously build on that.

‘‘Playing games is different to training. The only way I am going to get that sharpness and spring back in my legs is by playing.’’

Musialik, who has given up alcohol for the past 18 months, has shed 10kilograms since he returned to the Jets fold in March.

A two-time championship winner with Newcastle and Sydney FC, Musialik is on the Jets youth team roster in an over-age mentor playing role. The position is two-pronged. Musialik can pass his knowledge and experience on to the young players and it also provides him an opportunity to kick-start a career which has stalled through injuries and off-field issues.

‘‘Saturday was a small step but I have a lot of work to do,’’ he said. ‘‘There are no guarantees at the Jets. I have not signed a contract but it is good to be back in a full-time environment and we will see where it goes from there.’’

The Jets have two places available on their roster as it stands but have the flexibility to move one or all three under-20 players – Mitch Cooper, Connor Chapman and Mitch Oxborrow – outside the salary cap to create more room.

At the peak of his powers, Musialik, a Beijing Olympian, was one of the best playmakers in the country. The Jets have lacked a player of his type until the late-season arrival of Zenon Caravella last campaign.

Jets youth team coach Craig Deans, who has taken over the reins temporarily from Clayton Zane to accrue hours towards his A coaching licence, was encouraged by Musialik’s debut.

‘‘Once he got into the groove of the game he was smart enough to see things,’’ Deans said. ‘‘It is just a matter of him getting his fitness up.’’

Lake Macquarie coach Chris Turner was relieved that the Roosters finally produced the football he knew they were capable of on the way to their first win of the season.

A goal in each half from Sam Walker and Simon Mooney was enough to secure a much-needed three points -- bringing an end to a frustrating run of three draws and five losses.

‘‘‘What I saw today is what I knew we were capable of,’’ Turner said.

‘‘The Jets will probably say they did not play well, but we did not let them play well.

‘‘We changed our formation to suit what they do and got the right people in the right positions for us.

‘‘‘Pete McPherson and Sean Matthews played as the holders in a 4-2-3-1. They were really key in what they did.’’

www.theherald.com.au/story/1544423/musialik-thrilled-after-getting-back-in-game/?cs=306

Gee I wonder what the minimum requirement for senior coach's in the HAL is.....

Thomas477
03-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Hang on, if we can move three blokes outside of the cap, why the **** haven't we already?

plague
03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Hang on, if we can move three blokes outside of the cap, why the **** haven't we already?

Middleby. R,

pv4
03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
middleby's answer will be "yes, there is a salary cap we must adhere to, but we also have our own player budget we must stay under". he's used it countless times when asked about why we didn't use our aust marquee spot last season, and if the funds for said aust marquee that was guarenteed to be put aside, then be used this season.

if r.griff really was on "near to marquee wages" then we should have near to marquee wages freed up, as well as the australian marquee wages they promised they had. unless my maths is off

plague
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
if r.griff really was on "near to marquee wages" then we should have near to marquee wages freed up, as well as the australian marquee wages they promised they had. unless my maths is off

Not to mention the funds we got from Griffs transfer fee.

Oh wait, we gave him away for nothing.

MFKS
03-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Not to mention the funds from the release of our captain.

No way in the world Caravello is on the money Jobe was on.

Hang on HSG are involved so Zenons wages probably will see us over the cap anyways

MFKS
03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets have signed goalkeeper John Solari to a one-year deal following a successful trial with the Club last week.

The 19-year-old joins the Jets after progressing through the ranks of the South Australian Sports Institute (SASI) and spending time with Adelaide United’s National Youth League team.

Solari most recently played for White City in the South Australian Premier League. He is eligible to compete for the Jets Youth team in both the NBN State League and National Youth League competitions.

“I’m rapt to be joining the Jets. It’s a dream come true to become a pro because it’s something I’ve been working hard for my whole career so far,” Solari said.

“It’s a huge opportunity for me, I’m going to learn so much and I really can’t wait to get started.

“I’ve trained with Mark (Birighitti) before while I was with Adelaide. I’m going to learn as much as I can from him and Ben (Kennedy) because they’re two excellent goalkeepers and fantastic blokes as well.”

Newcastle head coach Gary van Egmond said Solari’s signing would add further depth to the Jets’ goalkeeping ranks.

“His physical capabilities look very good. He’s got some work to do in trying to realise his potential, but he’s got the right mindset to achieve that,” he said.

“We’re prepared to work with him and he’s prepared to work hard to forge a career as a professional.”

Jets goalkeeper coach Bob Catlin was similarly pleased to have Solari in Newcastle for the 2013/14 A-League season.

“He came in and showed a good attitude, good work ethic and good talent and we felt he deserved the opportunity,” Catlin said.

“Hopefully we can develop him further and make a good goalkeeper out of him.”

Solari will join his Newcastle Jets teammates for pre-season training at Ray Watt Oval this week.

Spoke to someone in Adelaide about this kid. Said bloke rates him as a better prospect than Birraz.

Heres hoping

Imyourhero
03-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Birraz is young and could easily improve leaps and bounds. Do we really need another keeper?

MFKS
03-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Birraz is young and could easily improve leaps and bounds. Do we really need another keeper?

This blokes the new Yoof team keeper to play NBN and NYL to replace Jack Duncan who left to Perth Glory. Not to place immediate pressure on BK and Birraz

Grimario
03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/273089,optus-pulls-the-plug-on-football.aspx

Optus pulls the plug on football

OPTUS is severing all ties with football in Australia ending a multi-million dollar five-year investment in the game ranging from the grassroots to elite level.

The telco will cease to manage Football Federation Australia’s expansive digital network from the end of this month, including 18 websites, mobile sites and mobile apps covering the Socceroos, Matildas, A-League, W-League and Youth League.

A telecommunications deal – which supports small sided football – will end on July 31 and Optus will not appear as a Socceroos sponsor if the team makes the 2014 World Cup.

FFA today confirmed it is talking to potential partners for the digital rights after the decision by Optus not to renew its existing agreements.

Optus Head of Brand, Nathan Rosenberg said the company was withdrawing from all sports sponsorship, including AFL's Carlton Football Club, to concentrate on its core business.

“This means that we have made the tough decision to not renew our sponsorship as Football Federation Australian’s Official Telecommunications Partner,” Rosenberg said.

“Exiting the sponsorship with FFA was a tough call, but we need to invest in areas where our customers will directly receive the benefits.

“Optus has enjoyed a long and proud partnership with the FFA and we congratulate them on building a dynamic and exciting sport, particularly in the lead up to the 2014 FIFA World Cup. “

FFA Head of Commercial Operations David Tucker said Optus had helped build vibrant digital content over the past two years but that several parties had shown strong interest in picking up the digital network.

“There is a strong growth story behind the digital traffic with the Socceroos World Cup qualifiers, Manchester United, Liverpool and the Foxtel A-League All Stars driving huge interest over the next few months,” Tucker said.

“In the longer term, the 2015 AFC Asian Cup and the planned FFA Cup will bring new properties into the network. Digital channels and social media are major strategic projects for FFA and we are well placed for the future.

“Optus has explained to FFA that the company is taking a new strategic direction that will see a greater focus on direct customer relationships.”

Tucker added: “We thank the company for their contribution to making Australian football what it is today; a thriving sport with a huge following in mainstream Australian society.

“Optus been a major sponsor of FFA since 2008 and has been a committed partner in growing the game at every level from grassroots, through to the Hyundai A-League and the Qantas Socceroos.”

FFA said it is also talking to potential partners for the small-sided games program which involves more than 400,000 young players across Australia.

“FFA is expecting significant interest in the small-sided games category because of the high-level of grassroots engagement the sponsorship brings,” Tucker said.

In 2011 Optus signed a digital partnership with FFA and renewed its role as the governing body’s official telecommunications partner for a further two years.

That's a pretty significant news article.

militiamon
03-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Probably related to these comments as well:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-02/optus-best-of-bad-bunch-says-ceo-kevin-russell/4726646

New direction etc. etc.

Grimario
03-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Probably related to these comments as well:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-02/optus-best-of-bad-bunch-says-ceo-kevin-russell/4726646

New direction etc. etc.

And he is full of shit. iiNet shit all over everyone for customer satisfaction.

militiamon
03-06-2013, 09:40 PM
And he is full of shit. Internode shit all over everyone for customer satisfaction.

fixed 4 y'all

Grimario
03-06-2013, 09:44 PM
fixed 4 y'all

Nah. iiNet actually do shit over everyone. I work for one of their competitors and I know these things :(

militiamon
03-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Source: Whirlpool Surveys (back when they ran them). iiNet own Internode now anyway, not that I need to tell you that :o

Grimario
03-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Source: Whirlpool Surveys (back when they ran them). iiNet own Internode now anyway, not that I need to tell you that :o
Did not know that :o
Actually, I probably did just forgot about it.

Thomas477
04-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Hopefully this means we get half decent websites now, as opposed to the crap that is there currently.

I also hope this wont screw around with the FFA's bottom line.

militiamon
04-06-2013, 12:30 AM
What annoyed me most about the change when Optus took over is that they destroyed all of the historical match data. For a time you couldn't even see the fixture list for previous seasons. Now it looks like they've patched things up slightly, but the match line-ups and stats still seem to be shit (e.g only 9 players listed in starting line-up of the first random match I selected).

Pico
04-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Four Jets make Young Socceroos
By CRAIG KERRY
June 4, 2013, 11:52 a.m.

NEWCASTLE Jets Connor Chapman, Josh Brilliante, Andrew Hoole and Adam Taggart have been selected in the final 21-player Young Socceroos squad to compete at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Turkey from June 21 to July 13.

They were among 15 players drawn from the A-League to be part of Paul Okon’s line-up.

The quartet and former Jets goalkeeper Jack Duncan, who has joined Perth Glory, were part of the Young Socceroos’ preparations for the tournament and played for them against the Netherlands and Germany under-21 sides recently.

Taggart debuted for the Socceroos this year while Hoole is the only home-grown talent among group.

The Young Socceroos will assemble in Sydney on Friday and will be presented with their playing shirts on the same day at an official farewell function.

They will have two days of training in Sydney before playing an international friendly match against New Zealand on Monday at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

The squad will fly to Turkey on Tuesday and hold their final pre-tournament training camp in Antalya from June 12-17.

Their opening match of the tournament will be against Colombia on June 22.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1548234/four-jets-make-young-socceroos/?cs=306

Newy boy comes from no where to land a spot in the U20, all while having to put up with GVE, fantastic effort. Now I wonder what might happen if a few more got some full time training and opportunities, oh well too late now the clubs gone and signed some random from Adelaide.

Local Rules
04-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Newy boy comes from no where to land a spot in the U20, all while having to put up with GVE, fantastic effort. Now I wonder what might happen if a few more got some full time training and opportunities, oh well too late now the clubs gone and signed some random from Adelaide.

This is what the Emerging Jets pragram is for, so we can have the cream of the crop coming through in 3-4 years. I would say this is a great initiative but when you read some of the names in the Emerging Jets program it seems if you have the same last name as a previous top line player you are automatically selected. Base the selections on merit not names.

ForeverRed
04-06-2013, 05:14 PM
This is what the Emerging Jets pragram is for, so we can have the cream of the crop coming through in 3-4 years. I would say this is a great initiative but when you read some of the names in the Emerging Jets program it seems if you have the same last name as a previous top line player you are automatically selected. Base the selections on merit not names.

I think I may be right in saying but Im sure Hoole didn't come through any development programs including local Zones, I could be wrong and have him mixed up with someone else but regardless this is a tremendous achievement

Thomas477
05-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Karl Dodd (yes that Karl Dodd) has been signed as the Strength and Conditioning coach.

Sauce: Jets Facebook page.

q-money
05-06-2013, 07:53 PM
the legend that is karl dodd returns (y)

plague
05-06-2013, 08:12 PM
the legend that is karl dodd returns (y)

Watch how quick Snake goes and re-ups his membership now.

karl!!!!

GazFish35
05-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Lets welcome him with the one fingered salute!

Kaaaaarrrrrrrrrllllllll

snake
05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
where do i sign farken

parksey
06-06-2013, 12:54 AM
deadset stitch up

GazFish35
06-06-2013, 07:59 AM
lets start a conspiracy/
After playing at Nth Qld together Karl discovered where Robbie keep his (and other kids) Star Wars figurines.
Karl has threatened to go public unless given a job by Robbie.

BodyNovo
06-06-2013, 09:14 AM
big karl better have the qualities to see them running laps of Newcastle

also lucky for him that no griffs currently play at the club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPTOikgFys

plague
06-06-2013, 10:17 AM
How good was it that the first 2 blokes in to look after the Griff were Song and D'Apuzz.
That's when the Jets were great, when we had a couple of hard men like that in our team.

****ern kids these days. Soft.

BodyNovo
06-06-2013, 11:02 AM
the little fellas always had some mongrel

song, Fabio, Rooney.

hawk
06-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Red card was the softest ever. ref was on the books

Wilso8948
06-06-2013, 02:57 PM
It was Milligan

plague
06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
It was Milligan

Pfffft, Milligan.
Bloke never even played for us.

Looks like we've got another Griff denier on our hands lads.

Wilso8948
06-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Pfffft, Milligan.
Bloke never even played for us.

Looks like we've got another Griff denier on our hands lads.

Cool story

Wilso8948
06-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Played a 7 game guest stint. He's the first guy to run in. Don't think Da Pooozo woulda been in a fight in his life

plague
07-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Played a 7 game guest stint. He's the first guy to run in.

Oh.
I didnt realise that. cheers for clearing it up.
Its hard to know what to believe on here sometimes.

theres even blokes on here who try to tell you that Joel Griffiths didnt score the winner in the '08 Grand Final.
the nerve of some people.

seldom
07-06-2013, 12:31 AM
:wink:

furns
07-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Played a 7 game guest stint. He's the first guy to run in. Don't think Da Pooozo woulda been in a fight in his life
If I had his missus, I wouldnt want my face f*cked up either

Wilso8948
07-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Oh.
I didnt realise that. cheers for clearing it up.
Its hard to know what to believe on here sometimes.

theres even blokes on here who try to tell you that Joel Griffiths didnt score the winner in the '08 Grand Final.
the nerve of some people.

U serious??? That was Edmundo Zura. **** you're struggling bro

Wilso8948
07-06-2013, 09:07 AM
If I had his missus, I wouldnt want my face f*cked up either

Yer I think her and Elrich's mrs should hang out far more. Was awesome when she came to bar beach and did the whole oil tan thing.. Wow

Jeterpool
07-06-2013, 09:32 AM
U serious??? That was Edmundo Zura. **** you're struggling bro

Dude - we hadn't even signed Zura by then. He was signed the year after.

Wilso8948
07-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Dude - we hadn't even signed Zura by then. He was signed the year after.

Dude. It's sad that u actually believe that i think it was Edmundo Zura that scored the goal in the GF....

Jetmaster
07-06-2013, 11:45 AM
I think for most of us it depends what dream we had....

Yer I think her and Elrich's mrs should hang out far more. Was awesome when she came to bar beach and did the whole oil tan thing.. Wow

Pics, phone vid plz !

Wilso8948
07-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I think for most of us it depends what dream we had....

Pics, phone vid plz !

It's etched on my brain

Tommyjet
07-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Pretty sure denni rocha dos santos scored the grand final goal

Wilso8948
07-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Best gf appearance ever

GazFish35
07-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Anyone read the jets insider rubbish.
FFS I'm sick of the PR bullshit

seldom
07-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Anyone read the jets insider rubbish.
FFS I'm sick of the PR bullshit

Yeah and why are they still sending me this BS when I canned my membership weeks ago.Now preparing for them to continue takin payments from my account...cvnts!
middleby out...deans out...gve out etc

MFKS
08-06-2013, 08:45 PM
FORMER Central Coast Mariners attacker Bernie Ibini will have company at his new Club Shanghai SIPG, with 2012/13 Hyundai A-League Golden Boot winner Daniel McBreen, 36, signing on loan with Gao Hongbo’s side until October.

McBreen flew to China on Friday and will spend the next five months with the men from Shanghai Stadium as they seek to climb the Chinese Super League standings.

Under the terms of the arrangement, McBreen’s loan spell in China will conclude on October 31, meaning the first game next Hyundai A-League season he could be selected for is the round 4 F3 Derby away to Newcastle Jets on Saturday 2 November.

McBreen, who has previously plied his trade in Romania, Scotland, England, as well as Australia, said the loan move offers him a great opportunity to contribute to Shanghai SIPG’s targets and immerse himself in a new culture.

“It is something I am looking forward to,” he said. “Obviously Bernie has gone there. It’s a wonderful city and a Club that is looking to do things and get bigger and better, so to be part of that will be a great experience.”

McBreen’s standout performances in last season’s Hyundai A-League combined with his consistent displays throughout the Mariners’ 2013 AFC Champions League quest caught the eye of Shanghai mentor Hongbo.

Indeed, Hongbo led Central Coast’s 2013 AFC Champions League Group H opponents Guizhou Renhe to their maiden qualification for Asia’s premier club competition in 2012.

The former Chinese international & Head Coach viewed the Mariners’ matches in this season’s AFC Champions League, where he was impressed with the Club’s team and individuals.

“We did well in making the last 16 of the AFC Champions League,” McBreen said. “With Bernie going there and now myself we have obviously made an impression and we think we can make a good impact over there. It’s nice to get recognition and the chance to play in a country and a city that is on the up.”

As a youngster, McBreen swapped Newcastle United in the National Soccer League for Universitatea Craiova of Romania’s Liga 1, embarking on his first foray into foreign football.

He said he and Ibini could take comfort from the fact that in a city of over 23 million people a familiar face would never be too far away.

“I’ve done the young guy going overseas thing before on my own and it can be quite difficult,” he said. “It’s always nice to have someone there that you know. I think for both of us it will be nice to have someone there that we can talk to.”

McBreen will be eligible to play for Shanghai SIPG from July 1, meaning his first competitive game for the Club could come against Beijing Guoan on Sunday 7 July.

Considering Gypos pay his wages why would you not have him return for round 1 at the minimum?? The Chinese club could take the offer or leave it

Gypos must be making a quid out of this deal or they are dumber than we give the credit for

militiamon
08-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Gypos must be making a quid out of this deal or they are dumber than we give the credit for

Almost certainly + Chinese club will be paying his wages, not CCM. CCM make a tidy amount of money from an aging player with dwindling value, McBreen gets a bit of a wage boost before retirement, a good bit of business all round. Also keep in mind that Matt Simon is back playing for the peasants, and I'd bet that he'd be the favoured striker for the coming season over McBreen, so there's no huge loss there for them.

As much as people have criticised them for sending so many players out on these Chinese loan deals, it probably has worked out in their favour for the club and players alike, especially considering the financial stresses they've had.

MFKS
08-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I suppose living in China or Gosford are about on even par.

Gypo players would be heaps keen for the loan deals as they will have more chance of being paid on time by the Chinese than they will by the Gypo overlords

militiamon
08-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Looks like no one's taken up Mike Charlesworth's offers to run his 'adult services' premium numbers during the off-season.

Premy
10-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Melbourne Victory in talks with Giorgios Karagounis. Personally I think would be a huge coup for the A-League would be up there with the ADP signing obviously ADP is better but Karagounis is the current Greece Captian with 125 caps for his country and we all know how the Victorians would love a Greek, in the season just passed was voted Fulham's 2nd best player behind Berbatov. His 36 a Midfielder for those that don't know who he is but with Nichols, Milligan, Finkler and Lejier all under the cap Flores and Archie their marquees would take some clever accounting to get him.

leftrightout
11-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Melbourne Victory in talks with Giorgios Karagounis. Personally I think would be a huge coup for the A-League would be up there with the ADP signing obviously ADP is better but Karagounis is the current Greece Captian with 125 caps for his country and we all know how the Victorians would love a Greek, in the season just passed was voted Fulham's 2nd best player behind Berbatov. His 36 a Midfielder for those that don't know who he is but with Nichols, Milligan, Finkler and Lejier all under the cap Flores and Archie their marquees would take some clever accounting to get him.

Flores has been released.. theres the spot!

Jetmaster
11-06-2013, 08:44 AM
I would take Flores but of course it could not be as a marquee.

leftrightout
11-06-2013, 08:56 AM
I would take Flores but of course it could not be as a marquee.

Fit him under the cap and you would be stupid to pass him up. everyone knows what he can do!

Jeterpool
11-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Fit him under the cap and you would be stupid to pass him up. everyone knows what he can do!

Exactly!

Don't know if he has the engines for our high-tempo game though

Grimario
11-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Exactly!

Don't know if he has the engines for our high-tempo game though

And what use exactly would we make of him? It would be like watching Nicky Carle in the Championship when he played in midfield and spent the entire game watching the ball get hoofed from the backline to the strikers.

russjaybee
11-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Flores was underwhelming last year.

Jeterpool
11-06-2013, 11:01 AM
And what use exactly would we make of him? It would be like watching Nicky Carle in the Championship when he played in midfield and spent the entire game watching the ball get hoofed from the backline to the strikers.

True. But maybe with someone there who can be trusted with the ball at their feet we could be more likely to play that way?

Flores was underwhelming last year.

He wasn't great, but it could be said the "false 9" had him played out of position.

BodyNovo
11-06-2013, 11:07 AM
look forward to the article stating we were interested but he declined.

belchardo
11-06-2013, 11:19 AM
look forward to the article stating we were interested but he declined.

"we've got a salary cap and we need to work within it"

MFKS
11-06-2013, 11:44 AM
A-League Championship-winning coach Graham Arnold wants Football Federation Australia to allow Central Coast Mariners special dispensation for six visa players in 2013-2014 – so it can have a realistic chance of being “competitive next season”.

McBreen joins Ibini in China

Gameiro keen on A-League start

Victory 'keen on Karagounis'

Arnold, who turned down the manager's job at Sheffield United to remain with the under-financed team he has moulded into a major A-League force, has the backing of owner Mike Charlesworth to lobby for the extra overseas slot as the club reels from its annual player exodus and seeks to ensure it is able to maintain its lofty standards.

The latest player lurking in the Gosford exit lounge is midfielder Oliver Bozanic, who having been linked with the K-League, could now be just days away from sealing a move to the Swiss Super League at an unnamed club for around $300,000.

The departures of the likes of Bernie Ibini, Mat Ryan, Pedj Bojic, Mustafa Amini, Rostyn Griffiths and Alex Wilkinson has raised $4.4 million in the past 15 months at a club which only stayed alive thanks to a cash infusion from Englishman Charlesworth in March – before going on to beat Western Sydney Wanderers in the A-League decider.

Arnold has also been hit with the retirement of Dutch defender Patrick Zwaanswijk and the exit of Golden Boot Daniel McBreen on loan to Ibini’s new club, Shanghai SIPG, until the end of October – four games into the new A-League season.

Western Sydney was allowed six visa slots by FFA in its start-up season and Arnold is keen to harness that precedent.

“It’s going to be a rebuilding year in 2013-2014 and maybe I will ask the FFA for some assistance and we might be allowed to have six foreign players,” he said.

“It’s a concession which West Sydney had so they could be competitive – and I have lost seven players from the grand final starting line-up and maybe they will let us have six foreigners so we are competitive next season.

“There is not much out there locally unless I go for kids, so hopefully I can go for some foreigners. We want to stay strong and keep delivering as people expect us to do, but as things stand that’s going to be a challenge, which is why we may need some assistance.”

The Mariners currently has just two foreigners on its books – New Zealand international Michael McGlinchey and Englishman Nick Montgomery.

Though keen to swell that number, Arnold will work within the existing $2.6 million salary cap.

“If we want to go back-to-back in terms of winning the championship then it’s something we’ll have to look at,” he added. “The other clubs have always lent heavily on foreign players and it’s something that we may now have to look at very seriously.”

Arnold’s preferred destination on a possible talent hunt is Africa – the home of a huge largely untapped football resource in terms of it’s a A-League exposure, other than the obvious examples of Melbourne Victory’s flying left-back Adama Traore who hails from the Ivory Coast and Melbourne Heart’s Iberian utility Patrick Gerhardt.

“I am turning towards Africa where the market is cheap and there is plentiful talent,” added Arnold. “I think we will find some decent players there. It’s something worth exploring.”

This bloke is a dead set ****ing tosser.

As for your request Arnie hows no grab you???

Sign some locals/ Sign some kids/develop your own players or raid western sydney for some more players.

Pico
11-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Jets Memberships on-sale June 26

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00068787-leadimage.jpg

Newcastle Jets Membership packages for the 2013/14 A-League season will go on-sale on Wednesday, June 26.

For the past two seasons, the support shown by Newcastle Jets Members and supporters has reinforced the Jets’ status as one of the leading Clubs in the A-League competition.

With the backing of the Hunter community, the Jets have achieved record Membership numbers of more than 10,000 in consecutive seasons, while also attracting a Club-record average attendance of 13,388 for home matches at Hunter Stadium in 2012/13.

The desire shown by Jets Members and supporters to stand with the Club through thick and thin is what sets them apart from the supporters of any other A-League team - an unwavering commitment that is testament to the pride and passion of the Hunter football community.

The Newcastle Jets have been on an incredible journey since the inception of the A-League in 2005/06. The Club reached the pinnacle of Australian football, winning its first Championship with victory over the Central Coast Mariners in the 2007/08 Grand Final.

The Club has encountered more challenging times in recent years, narrowly missing the Finals for the past two seasons.

However, this has only made the Newcastle Jets more determined than ever to build something its Members and supporters can be proud of.

The Club is ready to step up in 2013/14 and it is asking all Jets supporters to STAND WITH US and become Club Members.

Once again, there are a number of great benefits on offer for Newcastle Jets Members, including:

- Flexible and affordable Membership packages
- Ability to pay for your Membership with a monthly Payment Plan (using a credit card)
- Exclusive Jets Insider e-Newsletter
- Special offers including Jets Merchandise at the Hunter Sports Superstore
- Exciting new Membership packages

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE JETS 2013/14 MEMBERSHIP PACKAGES. (https://memberdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main&OrgID=7644)

Make your commitment to the Jets as a proud, loyal Novocastrian and help us grow to one day become the most passionate Club in the A-League.

www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-Memberships-onsale-June-26/68787

Wonder how they will go with the Ray Baartz club, surely no sane person would spend $500pp to watch the shit GVE dishes out. Looks like they are ready for the backlash, stand with us, no mention of increasing the membership, No membership target.

MFKS
11-06-2013, 12:19 PM
****s.

Was thinking of relocating to Bay 70/71 region but it would appear you can't get Membership seats there

Middleby out

belchardo
11-06-2013, 12:33 PM
lol, "in victory and defeat we stand together". how would they know, we don't win!

Local Rules
11-06-2013, 12:45 PM
lol, "in victory and defeat we stand together". how would they know, we don't win!

And Ray Baartz area and Gold offer priority purchase of Finals tickets for Jets finals- probably won't need this for next couple of years.

joel31
11-06-2013, 01:05 PM
If the Mariners get an extra foreigner spot I will rage

militiamon
11-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking about getting seats somewhere in bays 23 - 29.

:gent:

MFKS
11-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking about getting seats somewhere in bays 23 - 29.

:gent:

Wheres that located Goninan's Rail Roof top???:roflz::gent: