PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Jeterpool
17-01-2013, 08:29 AM
New year, new thread

Brazilian Tiago passed a Sydney FC medical with flying colours yesterday and is expected to be available for the Sky Blues in Saturday’s match against Wellington at Allianz Stadium as an injury replacement for Dutchman Pascal Bosschaart.

After joining the Jets as a Branko Culina recruit before the 2011-12 season, Tiago began this A-League campaign as a first-choice centre back.

But he has swiftly plummeted down the pecking order and has not played since the 3-0 loss to Perth on December 14.

Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby said last night that Tiago no longer featured in coach Gary van Egmond’s plans and the club believed Sydney offered the feisty 31-year-old a career lifeline.

‘‘We have young Taylor Regan, Connor Chapman coming through and Josh Mitchell on our books, so we’ve got quite a lot of defenders there,’’ Middleby said.

‘‘The thing with Tiago, we were honest with him and spoke last week that it’s going to be difficult. He’s got a young family across the other side of the world and in football things can always change around, so it’s difficult with the players in front.

‘‘I got approached by Sydney and we think the world of him and we’re so happy he’s got the opportunity to show what he can do and potentially prolong his career here in Australia.’’

While Tiago’s career in Newcastle has ended, right back Hoole’s is taking off.

Extract from Josh Leeson's article on Herald website. Thanks for the memories Tiago.

Grimario
17-01-2013, 08:52 AM
I was actually going to post in the old thread asking for one of the mods to move everything post 1/1/13 into a new thread for 2013.

Jeterpool
17-01-2013, 08:56 AM
We got to it sooner than last year. I think it was March when we changed it in Foz V1

plague
17-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Those comments of Middleby re:Tiago is some of the most disingenuous, pathetic double speak I've ever heard.
Way to treat people like idiots.
**** that guy.
New year, same crap.
End rant.

Good luck Tiago, hope it all goes well for you.

lquiquer
17-01-2013, 09:12 AM
If NIX haven't got a Youth team, we do....We should send our youth team to NZ for a mid week holliday.

Grimario
17-01-2013, 12:06 PM
From international news thread...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/glasgow-soccer-giants-rangers-say-theyll-allow-australian-forward-francesco-stella-to-quit-the-club/story-e6frf423-1226554799637

Wonder if he will end up in the A-League?

Yep, MV.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1136974/Melbourne-Victory-swoops-for-Stella

Melbourne Victory continued its squad restructure with the signing of Australian striker Francesco Stella on a two-and-a-half year deal.

The 21-year-old will return to Australia next week after being released by Ibrox side Rangers after just four months at he club.

At 17 Stella joined Serie A side Siena but never cracked the first team, spending his time in the youth ranks before being loaned out to a third division side.

"Francesco is a young player with plenty of talent and I believe we can really develop him over the next two-and-a-half years," Melbourne Victory coach Ange Postecoglou said.
"For a club like Siena to see potential in him when he was just 17 years old is a fair indication of his quality.

"While things didn’t work out for him over in Europe this time, the prospect of first team football was enticing to him and I’m confident we’ve got ourselves a player who can perform regularly in the A-League."

Stella, who was raised in Melbourne, can't wait to restart his career.

"Having been away for a few seasons now, it’s exciting to be coming home to play for Melbourne Victory,” Stella said.

"Being overseas has been an experience that I have learnt a lot from, both good and bad, and I feel it has helped me grow both as a footballer and a person."

As I said over on whirlpool...

So, everyone bags the crap out of Matt Ryan for considering a gig at Rangers as their first choice keeper... yet MV sign someone who McCoist didn't consider good enough for the bench most of the time at Rangers and fans love it?

Grimario
17-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Also, Van Dijk is goneskis.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1136978/Van-Dijk-granted-his-Adelaide-release

Experienced striker Sergio van Dijk has been granted a release from his Adelaide United contract, allowing him to leave the A-League and join Indonesian club Persib Bandung.

Van Dijk has endured a bitter fallout with club bosses and new coach John Kosmina, resulting in him playing just three of 16 matches this season.

The 30-year-old, whose contract was due to expire in April, leaves as the A-League's third highest goalscorer, having scored 50 goals during his five-seasons at Brisbane and Adelaide.

He was the golden boot winner in 2010-2011 with the Reds and only Shane Smeltz and Archie Thompson have scored more goals since the competition's inception in 2005.

"The mutual termination agreement to end van Dijk’s contract early is in the best interests of both parties," a club statement read.

"Adelaide United would like to thank Sergio for his contribution during his time at the club and wishes him all the best in his future endeavours."

&1gest
17-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Stu training with the squad!

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1137022/Musialik-s-window-of-opportunity

snake
17-01-2013, 03:20 PM
party tiem!

Jeterpool
17-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Gary getting the boiz back together

”If we can help a Newcastle boy get back on his feet and start to get back into football, we'd love to be able to do that,” Van Egmond said.

”He's a really good person.”

And Gary, we are a football team - not a f**king charity!!

q-money
17-01-2013, 03:26 PM
finally someone to look up to in this squad, stue(y)

Grimario
17-01-2013, 03:35 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/CEO-explains-frustration-over-fixture-change/58404

CEO explains frustration over fixture change
Dear Jets Members

I wish to personally write to you to outline the disappointment of the Jets coaching staff and management over the rescheduling of our A-League game against Wellington Phoenix from Saturday March 23 to Wednesday February 27 at Westpac Stadium.

This change to the A-League schedule has been brought about by a clash of dates with New Zealand's World Cup qualifying games and the A-League draw.

As members I would like to make you aware of the irregularities of the transfer of our Wellington game, which provided us with the outcome of three games in nine days, two of those games travelling to New Zealand and Melbourne.

The short turn around and travel obviously dilutes the opportunity of professional preparation, training, recovery and treatment of niggling injuries.

We are aware from time to time with international sport there will be some anomalies that impact on schedules and individual clubs. We experienced this recently when five of our young players were selected in the Young Socceroos and missed three A-League games.

Our frustration is that the A-League schedule has not been amended in the past due to players representing their national teams.

The FIFA Match window was always March 22-26, 2013. We were advised Wellington communicated with the FFA about the challenge they would face to field a team due to New Zealand national team commitments last July.

The Jets were only contacted about this two weeks ago and any attempts to compromise, like transferring the game to Newcastle to avoid the travel, have been rejected.

Surely with open and transparent communication from the FFA, a window to transfer this game could have been identified earlier in the season and a reasonable and balanced outcome achieved.

Hopefully the FFA will acknowledge this point and ensure any conflicts with the FIFA International match periods is acknowledged in the scheduling of the season draw. If any problems with the draw are identified they should then immediately make contact with both clubs to provide a resolution in the best interest of the game.

The great thing about the entire Novocastrian region and its people is that when a challenge arises we all roll up our sleeves and tackle it head on together. This is an opportunity for our coaching staff and players to rise to the occasion and relish the challenge.

Robbie Middleby
Newcastle Jets CEO

Pico
17-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Herbert feels no sympathy for busy Jets

17 January 2013-AAP

Wellington Phoenix coach Ricki Herbert has little sympathy for Newcastle Jets boss Gary van Egmond who is furious at Football Federation Australia's (FFA) scheduling change that means his team will play three games in 10 days next month.

Jets fume over Phoenix match switch

The Jets have lodged an official complaint at the rescheduling of their A-League Round 26 match against the Phoenix on 23 March.

It's been moved because of a clash with the All Whites' World Cup Oceania qualifying matches.

The fixture would have been squeezed between New Zealand games against New Caledonia on 22 March and Solomon Islands on 26 March.

It will now be played at Westpac Stadium on Wednesday 27 February with a 7.30pm kick-off, sandwiched between Newcastle's games against Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Victory.

"In a close competition like we have at the moment, this decision could have a real bearing on our season," Van Egmond said.

FFA turned down a compromise offer from the Jets to play the match at their home ground, Hunter Stadium, on February 27.

"To decline our compromise to play the game in Newcastle, claiming it would disadvantage Wellington, is insulting for the credibility of the A-League competition, our players and fans."

Herbert wasn't too worried at Van Egmond's reaction.

He said Phoenix was equally disadvantaged earlier in the season, when a makeshift team battled to draw 1-1 with Melbourne Heart as the All Whites played a World Cup qualifier against Tahiti in Papeete.

"We probably weren't happy about having to play the game with eight players away, so it's probably a little bit of justice done," Herbert said after training on Thursday.

Up to 10 Phoenix players are expected to be unavailable for selection due to national team duties.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1137024/Herbert-feels-no-sympathy-for-busy-Jets

Here's an idea Ricky & HAL admin, don't allow the Phoenix to sign unlimited NZ players and you wont have this problem.

namwob99
17-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Or **** off and start your own league!!

plague
17-01-2013, 03:58 PM
finally someone to look up to in this squad, stue(y)

Finally our grand final hero is home.
What a goal it was Stu.
I'm a believer again, well done GVE.

snake
17-01-2013, 04:09 PM
love the bloke. welcome back.

would buy the bloke the steak he owed, if he has an appetite

Thomas477
17-01-2013, 04:35 PM
And Gary, we are a football team - not a f**king charity!!
This. We already have enough holding midfielders. Don't need anymore.

Or **** off and start your own league!!

And this. They play in our league and shouldn't expect any favours for when the NZ nat team is playing.

Pico
17-01-2013, 04:48 PM
This. We already have enough holding midfielders. Don't need anymore.

And this. They play in our league and shouldn't expect any favours for when the NZ nat team is playing.

Jobe off contract this season & zad and his manager shopping himself around and telling everyone they can he's available, might not have that many left by the time next season rolls around.

stopper2
17-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Stu training with the squad!

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1137022/Musialik-s-window-of-opportunity
To be honest, if we were to sign Stu, what does he offer to the team that we already don't get from Wheelhouse, Pepper, Brillante and Kanta (when fit)?
Zadkovich's mobile, direct style is the only one who as a central midfielder offers a distinctly different option....the others are all way too similar in my opinion. Ribeiro is the only other alternative but he is on the outer so we would have Rubes and about 4 or 5 other players with similar styles for CM.

My2BobsWorth
17-01-2013, 05:03 PM
We don't have anyone who can thread the needle in midfield, if Stu can fit the bill, welcome Stu.

la bazzle
17-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Could this mean the return of maj?

Buddha
17-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Will never forget the night at the late Fannys where he offered me 200 dollars for some pills

My2BobsWorth
17-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Will never forget the night at the late Fannys where he offered me 200 dollars for some pills

Security, Security

17-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Has Gypo germs in him now. Don't need him.

Jeterpool
17-01-2013, 07:21 PM

Hope so. Knows where the goal is

parksey
17-01-2013, 07:30 PM
:oops

the_butcher
17-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Hope so. Knows where the goal is

Lol wrong maj, he mean maaaj not maj. Getit?

Love ya stu, welcome home.

the_butcher
17-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Stu probs knows he's safe to return with the major being in Amsterdam

GazFish35
17-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Hope stu can get back on the paddock.

q-money
17-01-2013, 09:04 PM
coming back to enforce his vengeance on the thief of his dinner imo

boz-monaut
17-01-2013, 11:49 PM
interesting analysis of crowd numbers so far this season

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/lets-take-a-look-at-these-numbers-more-closely-2/

militiamon
18-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Good link boz. Some interesting stats in there, not sure I agree with all of the analysis that went with it. Any guesses which city the writer is from?

Very much a rose coloured look at some of Sydney's crowds. To say they haven't been affected by poor performances is a bit much. Apart from the derbies and blockbuster games their average wouldn't be above 15,000.
Also not sure if I agree on the winning/losing thing. He says that winning doesn't boost crowds hugely, but I'd take a stab and say that losing lowers them.

Good confirmation about Sunday games and games against shit teams no one cares about though. All in all it would be good if the analysis was done again at the end of the season, data comparison would probably be a bit more valid.

The Dunster
18-01-2013, 04:00 AM
One set of rules for Jardel another set for Stu. Ah - the consistency of GVE.

Pico
18-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Depleted Sky Blues look to Brazilian for inspiration

January 18, 2013

Sebastian Hassett

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/01/17/3960983/art-tiago-20calvano-620x349.jpg

New direction … Sydney FC recruit Tiago Calvano at training during his time with the Newcastle Jets. Photo: Max Mason Hubers

TIAGO CALVANO might not have enjoyed the most fruitful spell at the Newcastle Jets but he is confident he can make amends with Sydney FC after signing a short-term deal for the rest of the season.

The 31-year-old Brazilian struggled with the pace of the A-League at times during his stint at the Jets, and eventually fell out of favour with coach Gary van Egmond, who was quick to grant him a release when Sydney's offer emerged this week.

However, he has no doubts he can make a swift transition to life with the Sky Blues, and said he can put his best foot forward in new surroundings.

''I'm very happy,'' he said. ''It's a great club, a nice city. I'm very excited. I come here to do my best and if you see how many goals we conceded, it's a lot. I'll try to help my teammates and do my best to fix this. But I'm not doing it alone. We have a good chance to improve this point. We always can do better, and I hope that here I will do better [than in Newcastle].''
Advertisement

Asked if his new side could make the finals, despite being ninth, Tiago said: ''That's why I'm here, and our goal is to make the finals.''

The deal was done quickly. So quickly in fact, the player barely had time to contemplate the move before the paperwork was submitted to FFA headquarters on Wednesday night.

''On Tuesday, I went to training and there Robbie Middleby [Jets chief executive] came to me and said, 'Tiago, Sydney are interested in you,' and I said, 'Oh, that would be great,''' he said. ''I had some more calls from Robbie, then I went to the office and things went very quick. In one day, we agreed everything.''

Tiago had nothing but good things to say about his former club, even if he had to battle for his spot in the first team.

''It was really good. I really enjoyed the club, the fans. It's a small but beautiful city, very relaxed. But that's part of my past, and my focus now is on helping Sydney to go and do better,'' he said. ''I didn't play much in the last weeks, but I am Brazilian, and with heart I will give 100 per cent for this club.''

He has already forgiven the Sydney fans for the bottle of water thrown in his direction during a recent match against the Sky Blues.

''It was good. I was very thirsty in this moment, and they threw me a bottle,'' he joked.

On Calvano's side is an impressive CV, having penned terms with Italian side Perugia as a youngster and then moving on to Barcelona B - the reserve team for the Spanish giants - before stints with Young Boys of Bern in Switzerland, and German sides Duisburg and Fortuna Dusseldorf.

Calvano's fall down the pecking order in Newcastle does not bother Sydney FC coach Frank Farina, who said the Brazilian had the quality to make a difference to Sydney's push for the finals.

While he looked at plenty of options to cover Pascal Bosschaart, who will miss the rest of the campaign with an Achilles heel injury, he is content with his choice.

''With Pascal out for the rest of the season, he's a welcome introduction,'' Farina said. ''We saw this morning his ability to talk and organise, so it should be a good help for us with 11 games to go.

''To be brutally honest, we were looking at a number of options. A lot of the options didn't come off - Tiago was one of them, but we weren't sure if Newcastle would release him. It came down to somebody who was ready to go straight away, so it narrowed the field down a bit. When Newcastle agreed to release him, it was good for us.''

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/depleted-sky-blues-look-to-brazilian-for-inspiration-20130117-2cw51.html#ixzz2IGdHXFse

Tiago All Class

Pico
18-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Sibling rivalry between Newcastle Jets' Ryan Griffiths and Sydney's Joel

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
January 18, 2013 12:00AM

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/01/17/1226556/134393-ryan-griffiths.jpg
Newcastle Jets striker Ryan Griffiths - pictured in action against Melbourne Heart - is looking forward to going up against his brothers Joel and Adam at Sydney FC. Picture: Robert Mckell Source: The Daily Telegraph

YOU would think that six goals and four assists in a struggling team should guarantee Ryan Griffiths some headlines - but "as usual" it's one of his older brothers getting the attention simply for making his debut.

Ryan and Joel will lead the attacks of Newcastle and Sydney tomorrow, while Adam harbours quiet hopes of making his return from injury in Sydney's defence.

That would mark the first time since 2004 that all three siblings have played in the same competition, and the first ever in the A-League.

Ryan actually has the most Socceroos caps, but Joel has always attracted the glamour - not least for playing alongside Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba for the past year.

"One way or another he's always in the headlines," Ryan says of Sydney FC's new striker. "The media thrive on these things I guess, but it makes me laugh when I hear him talk as they are not always the most intelligent words that come out of his mouth.

"Most younger brothers would say the same. You get used to playing second fiddle, it's normal.

"But when I was younger I always strived to be like my elder brothers, tried to play up a grade and follow them. So it actually helped me and made me a better player."

It's only a fortnight until the three will - injuries permitting - tread the same field when the Jets host Sydney.

But rather more pressing for Ryan is the trip 70km south to face the Mariners tomorrow in what he calls the "original derby".

"You talk to any Novocastrian and they absolutely hate the Mariners," he said. "It's really good to have that and see the fans get fired up.

"Lots of Newcastle fans will make the trip down hopefully.

"We usually get a good following, more than make up the normal home crowd down there. It's superb for the competition to have three proper derbies now with lots of feeling, and it's a big challenge for us in football terms.

"The Mariners are very good at preying on mistakes and we've been trying to remedy any errors this week.

"Most of the goals we've conceded have come from mistakes, and we've done a lot of work on our composure on the ball."

And what happens in a fortnight, when the three Griffiths are on opposing sides?

"Surprisingly little," Ryan said. "We're too professional, the games are too serious and important.

"At Christmas when we beat Sydney I didn't give it to Adam. When we're on the pitch we're not really brothers, Adam is just another defender.

"But then again, if Joel crosses my path ... "

Newcastle striker Emile Heskey was yesterday passed fit after a hip-flexor injury and is expected to lead the Jets attack in the derby.

oh Ryu....:wub:

Jeterpool
18-01-2013, 07:50 AM
oh Ryu....:wub:

Agree :wub: Love hearing that coming from the players!

Pico
18-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Jets look for fresh legs in attack
By JOSH LEESON
Jan. 17, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-36mDshx2U2dAuMR3XyjpW6R/420d0757-092e-4452-bd04-e39c2fb1de8c.jpg
CHAT: Gary Van Egmond talks strategy with Tiago earlier this month at Hunter Stadium.

JETS coach Gary van Egmond has revealed he is seeking to boost the club's attacking arsenal in the transfer window, now that space has been created by central defender Tiago's move to Sydney FC.

The Australian transfer window opened on Monday and shuts on January 31.

With 11 games left in the season before the A-League semi-finals, van Egmond can see plenty of merit in adding a new dimension to his squad.

"We're definitely looking at that and seeing what the best position is for us in this back end of the season," van Egmond said yesterday.

"It opens up a visa player as well. We just have to make sure we get the right person, and we're having a look at that as we speak.

"I think it's good to give the group a lift this time of year as well. It freshens things up a bit, but also looking down the track to make sure the person is not just here for the short term but after the season for next year."

Instead of replacing Tiago with another defender, van Egmond said he was looking for an X-factor player who could add to the attack.

"Young [James] Virgili and [Craig] Goodwin have done well in the wide areas and we probably don't have too many of those type of players who go past people as much," he said.

"Someone maybe in that type of capacity who will help with the workload of the upcoming weeks."

However, the Jets' decision to release Tiago, who was initially their first-choice stopper, could backfire after home-grown defender Taylor Regan limped off the training ground on Thursday with a calf strain.

Jets medical staff believe the injury is not serious and Regan should train today before tomorrow night's game against the Mariners at Bluetongue Stadium.

Van Egmond said he was not concerned that Regan's injury and Tiago's departure could leave him short of central defenders.

"We're quite comfortable with the back three stoppers at this moment in Taylor, Connor [Chapman] and Josh Mitchell, and obviously you have a Dom Ritter who can play central.

"[Scott] Neville can play central, [Sam] Gallaway can play central, so we have plenty of cover there."

Meanwhile, the Jets are still angry over Football Federation Australia's decision to shift their March 23 game against Wellington Phoenix at Westpac Stadium to midweek on February 27.

The match was moved to avoid clashes with New Zealand's 2014 World Cup qualifying games against New Caledonia and Solomon Islands.

Phoenix say up to 10 of their players would have been unavailable for the Jets game due to All Whites duty, possibly resulting in a forfeit.

Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby wrote an open letter to fans yesterday explaining his disappointment, while van Egmond took aim at the Phoenix, implying they were turning themselves into merely a development squad for the All Whites.

"For Wellington to come out and say they've got up to nine or 10 [players out], and they've just signed another international Kiwi [Ian Hogg], they're trying to make [Andrew] Durante a Kiwi, and they had five in the last game against China, so that's all there was," van Egmond said.

"They knew what the rules and regs were going into the competition.

"If you're really cynical, and I'm not that type of person, but if you're really cynical, you'd actually be looking at the Wellington team and thinking to yourself it's a precursor to make sure national team New Zealand players get as much good competition as they can so they've got the best opportunity to qualify in world cups.

"But I'm not a cynical person."

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1242561/jets-look-for-fresh-legs-in-attack/?cs=305

Interesting what this means for Ribs he was meant to be our X-factor if I'm not mistaken. Also the ljubo rumours, if we do go attacking how many spots do we have on our roster or is someone else about to get the chop.

snake
18-01-2013, 08:00 AM
sign griffo ffs

Pico
18-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Bid to lure Asian Cup to Hunter
By JANEK SPEIGHT
Jan. 17, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/e64d2ae3-071e-402d-95c6-2de90133d249.jpg
PLAN: Mark Falvo and David Eland at Speers Point yesterday.

THE Hunter's passionate football following, plethora of tourism hot spots and enthusiasm could bring Australia's 2015 Asian Cup to the region.

Asian Football Confederation (AFC) delegates are in the Hunter to assess whether the region is suitable to host Asian Cup teams for training camps.

Northern NSW Football has committed $4 million towards a new football centre at Speers Point, and the project has received a stamp of approval from Asian Cup organisers.

Yet the completion of the centre will depend on the outcome of the Lake Macquarie City Council's application for $7.3 million from the state government's Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund.

Asian Cup chief operating officer Mark Falvo inspected the federation's facilities at Speers Point with NNSWF chief executive David Eland yesterday afternoon.

Falvo, who has previously held a strategy role at Football Federation Australia, lauded the Hunter for its passionate football following.

"We know this is very much a football heartland and we know of the participation rates across all levels," he said.

"We're looking for quality facilities that provide the top teams with the resources they're used to, and it helps if it's a nice environment as well.

"If the facility goes ahead, it stands a very good chance at being selected as one of the pre-tournament camps."

Falvo said 32 venues would be chosen across Australia to give each of the 16 competing teams two options for base camps.

It was a great chance to promote football in rural areas and provide a platform for future ventures, he said.

"In 2020 it is estimated that 380 million people will be playing football in Asia. That's up from 80 million in 2006."

Eland said NNSWF was "sweating on" the Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund advisory board's recommendations to Planning Minister Brad Hazzard, which are expected to be made next month.

"If we can secure that funding and the decision is made as quickly as possible, we can have the facility ready by July 2014," he said. "Then we'll be in a position to provide this facility as a pre-tournament camp for the Asian Cup."

Eland said NNSWF would implement a plan B in the event that funding was not forthcoming, but that would dash any chance of hosting nations for the Asian Cup.

With more than 45,000 international visitors and a potential viewing audience of 2.5 billion, the Asian Cup was a chance not to be missed.

Eland was excited at the idea that a heavyweight football nation such as Japan or South Korea might set up in the Hunter.

"On average a camp of one team will include an entourage of 60 to 70 people," he said.

"Football is the biggest sport in Asia, so add the media in and the following will be huge.

"This facility would be ideal for a pre-tournament camp and the AFC's support will only add weight to our proposal."

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1242588/bid-to-lure-asian-cup-to-hunter/?cs=306

I'm still surprised that sydney gets multiple venues and even Canberra gets a venue but the home of an HAL team and an entire federation gets nothing. Hopefully the government does not drag its feet would be a waste of a good opportunity for some awareness for the Asian cup and the chance for NNSW to adopt an Asian team.

18-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Interesting what this means for Ribs he was meant to be our X-factor if I'm not mistaken. Also the ljubo rumours, if we do go attacking how many spots do we have on our roster or is someone else about to get the chop.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1115426/jets-add-brazilian-flair

Great judge of an import that GVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

All the more reason to think GVE has no frigg'n idea.

q-money
18-01-2013, 09:37 AM
gary van egmond smh

sh10
18-01-2013, 12:03 PM
love tiago, he just wasnt a particularly reliable player

Rocky
18-01-2013, 04:21 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Gallaway-resigns-with-the-Jets/58526

Gallaway gets a 2yr extension.

Jeterpool
18-01-2013, 05:51 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Gallaway-resigns-with-the-Jets/58526

Gallaway gets a 2yr extension.

So 4 straight games is all you need. Ribiero - there's still hope little buddy

sh10
18-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Worst poll ever on that article...

Question: Who do you think will make the finals?
Answer: Can only select 1 team

so only 1 team will make a 6 team finals series? ffs

GazFish35
18-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Worst poll ever on that article...

Question: Who do you think will make the finals?
Answer: Can only select 1 team

so only 1 team will make a 6 team finals series? ffs

When that poll first opened, Emily van Egmond and Kiah Simon were options.

belchardo
18-01-2013, 07:15 PM
was there a slobs option?

furns
18-01-2013, 07:16 PM
no

therefore: invalid

MFKS
18-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Some of you blokes need a good bout of bitch slapping for your wankfest over Musialik

Lets run through some FACTS

Newy Boy Kisses Jets badge after GF win. Couple of days later signs for Sydney and knocks back Jets.
3 Years spent in Sydney when Sydney don't offer him a new deal does he come home. No Bloke signs for Gypos.

Bloke can't cut it at Gypos and is released and after 6 months of inactivity on the HAL scrapheap and we are throwing the bloke a life line??

GTFO

Blokes diss Cankles for being a wanker and leaving Newy to go back to his Sydney roots.
Blokes diss Lord Griffo for signing for Smurfs yet Newy offer him nothing.

This bloke is being welcomed back. World gone ****ING CRAZY

GYPO SYMPATHISING NEWY SELL OUT

Giving this bloke a contract would be up there in the annals of GVE ****ups that would rival and surpass the signing of Josh Mitchell

Buddha
18-01-2013, 08:50 PM
As long as I can make a quick 200 out of him it's fine

hawk
18-01-2013, 08:50 PM
JETS coach Gary van Egmond has revealed he is seeking to boost the club's attacking arsenal in the transfer window, now that space has been created by central defender Tiago's move to Sydney FC.

wot:fright: lols, gve ensuring the jets remain a laugh

sammydog
18-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Not sure if it has been posted anywhere else, but the RBB have been banned from bringing flags/tifo/drums/megaphones into games.

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/_/supporter-articles/important-message-to-rbb-all-wsw-supporters-r294

belchardo
18-01-2013, 09:16 PM
fair enough, they may whinge about the 'outsiders' wandering in to their bay, but if they can't police it themselves, somebody else will (and in this case, did).

namwob99
19-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Some of you blokes need a good bout of bitch slapping for your wankfest over Musialik

Newy Boy Kisses Jets badge after GF win. Couple of days later signs for Sydney and knocks back Jets.
3 Years spent in Sydney when Sydney don't offer him a new deal does he come home. No Bloke signs for Gypos.

Bloke can't cut it at Gypos and is released and after 6 months of inactivity on the HAL scrapheap and we are throwing the bloke a life line??

GTFO

Blokes diss Cankles for being a wanker and leaving Newy to go back to his Sydney roots.

Giving this bloke a contract would be up there in the annals of GVE ****ups that would rival and surpass the signing of Josh Mitchell
+1. **** him off!!

19-01-2013, 01:15 AM

GTFO

+ another. Only reasoning i can come up with on this is Tinks has decided to well and truly operate the club on barely a shoestring and Stu being a despo for another crack will come in on min wages and we piss off somenone else on higher money.

He is gypo contaminated

Jeterpool
19-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Article in Herald this morning:

Heart have sounded us out about taking Wheelhouse during the transfer window while the gypos are considering a play for him as Hutchos replacement because he is expected to be off to China.

This could explain the whole reason why Stu is back.

19-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Mitchell just training with us = Tiago given the ass.
Stu just invited to train with us = Wheelhouse getting the ass ????????.

Thomas477
19-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Article in Herald this morning:

Heart have sounded us out about taking Wheelhouse during the transfer window while the gypos are considering a play for him as Hutchos replacement because he is expected to be off to China.

This could explain the whole reason why Stu is back.

Can't they just take Stu?

Would much prefer Jobe over Stu.

militiamon
19-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Why would we give away our team captain and one of our better players to rival clubs?

Pico
19-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Why would we give away our team captain and one of our better players to rival clubs?
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/03/30/1226030/846805-australian-currency-australian-dollar.jpg

Pico
19-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Heart making play for Wheelhouse
By JAMES GARDINER
Jan. 18, 2013, 10:28 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/fe4ca197-c7f2-44dd-8040-c58f52b8299f.jpg
INDUSTRIOUS: Jobe Wheelhouse is back from a knee injury. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

MELBOURNE Heart have sounded out the Jets about signing captain Jobe Wheelhouse for the rest of the A-League season.
See your ad here

Wheelhouse is one of seven Jets off contract, following the departure of Tiago to Sydney FC on Thursday and the retention yesterday of promising defender Sam Gallaway on a two-year deal.

The industrious midfielder returned from a knee injury off the bench in the 1-0 win over Brisbane Roar and is again expected to be a substitute for the local derby against Central Coast Mariners at Bluetongue Stadium tonight.

The Heart have room on their roster and, with uncertainty over the immediate playing future of Vince Grella, are keen to add depth to their midfield during the A-League transfer window, which closes at the end of the month.

The Herald also understands that the Mariners have identified Wheelhouse as a potential replacement for John Hutchinson if, as expected, he is picked up by a Chinese Super League club at the end of the season.

The Jets are yet to start formal contract negotiations with Wheelhouse. When contacted last night, Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby said it was club policy not to comment on player retention and recruitment.

Wheelhouse, 27, is the Jets’ only remaining foundation player – Ben Kennedy was a trainee for the inaugural season – and in round six became the fourth player to notch 100 games, behind Matt Thompson (121), Tarek Elrich (134) and Adam D’Apuzzo (102).

In his second year as skipper, Wheelhouse had hoped to return to the starting side for the derby but will have to wait at least another week.

‘‘It is tough for Jobe,’’ Jets assistant coach Craig Deans said. ‘‘Josh Brillante was man of the match last week, and Ruben [Zadkovich] has been one of the best two or three players every week since Jobe has been out. Jobe understands how the dynamic of the team works. If you ask Jobe to play, of course he would, but at the moment Ruben and Josh have done a really good job.’’

The Jets are expected to make at least two changes for the clash against the leaders.

Josh Mitchell comes in for Taylor Regan, who strained his right calf at training on Thursday, and marquee man Emile Heskey returns at the point of the attack.

The Jets have recorded consecutive clean sheets, their first for the season, since Regan was united with Connor Chapman in the heart of the defence.

Scott Neville is also a chance of returning at right back in place of Andrew Hoole, despite the latter’s strong debut against the Roar.

Deans said Heskey had benefited from the week off to freshen up. His inclusion forces Ryan Griffiths into a wider role, with Craig Goodwin the most likely to make way.

‘‘The challenge for us is that no matter who plays the nine – if it is Emile, if it is Ryan or Adam Taggart – that we don’t change our style of play drastically,’’ Deans said.
See your ad here

‘‘Obviously you have to play to people’s strengths. If the ball gets into a wide area, getting a cross into Emile in the box is a good option.

‘‘For Ryan or Taggs, if the ball is in a wide area, maybe it is better to come back and look to play through the middle.

‘‘That is the challenge for the players, to adapt their game and decision-making,’’ Deans said.

That might explain how we could sign ljubo this transfer period.

Pico
19-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Youth players under scrutiny
By JAMES GARDINER
Jan. 18, 2013, 10 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/872849d2-ed78-48fd-aeda-bca5c6f6bd74.jpg
WATCHING: Clayton Zane.

JETS youth team coach Clayton Zane is already looking to the future.

With six games remaining, the Jets sit in fifth place on 19 points, eight points adrift of leaders Central Coast.

The youth league does not have a finals series, with the winner the first past the post.

The Jets take on the Roar in Brisbane today.

Senior squad members Bernardo Ribeiro, Marko Jesic, Jacob Pepper and Mitch Oxborrow have made the trip north, but it is the performance of the young players Zane is focused on.

"We had a meeting on Tuesday about the squad composition for the State League season," he said.

"There won't be huge changes, but some players will be moved on.

"We have quite a big group of young players, and with the introduction of the under-18s, the two squads have to work off each other.

"There are one or two players on the edge."

The Jets are coming off a second-half capitulation against Perth. After leading the Glory 3-1 at half-time, they gave up five goals to go down 6-4 at home.

"We brought them straight back in for a recovery session that afternoon," Zane said.

"Since then we have had a look at what went wrong and how to fix it.
See your ad here

"The young ones are not going to be as consistent as the first team. We lost our shape completely in the second half. We did not react very well when we conceded the second goal."

Former Westfield Sports High midfielder Nick Pepper has been brought into the squad for Michael Kantarovski, who has been deregistered.

"Unfortunately young Kanta keeps breaking down," Zane said.

"The training load is more than what he is used to. If Kanta gets himself fit, we can still use him, but Nick has been training really well and deserves a chance."

Not been a good year for the Kanta's at the jets.

northern_swan
19-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Despite the hype of some on here, I would be very surprised if Stu was even considered for a contract in the short term given the personal issues he has been dealing with, as alluded to in media reports.

ForeverRed
19-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Not been a good year for the Kanta's at the jets.

I hope they sign mainly local players, heard theres been a few rumblings with a certain member of the coaching staffs son being signed and a local goal keeper moved on to make way for him, wasn't handled real professionally, we are not here to develop players who live in sydney

Jetmaster
19-01-2013, 11:24 AM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/03/30/1226030/846805-australian-currency-australian-dollar.jpg

I always thought one of the main points of strength when Tinks took over was that we would not be outbid for players we want to keep. Fair enough we have released a few voluntarily but look at the ex- Jets talent spread around the league at the moment....

Covic, D'Apuzzo, Tarek, Topor, Bridge, Thommo, Griff, Abbas, Culina, Grifflet, North, Dura, Brockie, Tiago - there's a GF winning side in that lot !

MFKS
19-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I always thought one of the main points of strength when Tinks took over was that we would not be outbid for players we want to keep. Fair enough we have released a few voluntarily but look at the ex- Jets talent spread around the league at the moment....

Covic, D'Apuzzo, Tarek, Topor, Bridge, Thommo, Griff, Abbas, Culina, Grifflet, North, Dura, Brockie, Tiago - there's a GF winning side in that lot !
Which of these blokes have we been outbid on??

Most of these blokes who departed for better money left under Con before Tinks was even in the game. Covic Bridge Thommo Griff Grifflet North Dura

Others such as Tarek Labi Abbas Tiago were let go cause they were deemed not good enough

Topor was deemed to be over paid for his ability and was let go to free up funds.(Well spent on Mitchell I Know!!) and Brockie was wanted by GVE but only at the right price. Basically a decent player but not to be paid the money he wanted

Culina was punted due to injury and doubts over whether he would ever make it back

DApuzzo had a year off from the game before getting a second chance at WSW

As for Lord Griffo not returning to Newy well that ain't exactly a case of us being outbid. We didn't put in the offer anywhere near required!!

At the end of the day HSG have gone down the route of Heskey for the Marquee. Griffo was NOT what they wanted.

Fair enough it attracts the newer fan to the club. Lord Griffo would have had the hard core fans flooging their logs over his resigning but wouldn't have had the impact Heskeytime has had.

Spending the big bucks on a Marquee has to go in the right direction and despite my desire to see Lord Griffo come home signing a Heskey was the smart option by HSG

stopper2
19-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I hope they sign mainly local players, heard theres been a few rumblings with a certain member of the coaching staffs son being signed and a local goal keeper moved on to make way for him, wasn't handled real professionally, we are not here to develop players who live in sydney
I can tell you now mate that there has been quite an influx of Sydney boys into the Youth/Train-on squad in the past few months. The younger ones already some agreement to attend Hunter Sports High and play for the Jets Youth or U/18's side.Tinkler's dream of the Jet's providing a pathway for our local youth in reality is being derailed by people within his organisation who seem to have other agendas. I'm all for getting quality players from outside the region but when they are no better then we have got locally.....that annoys the shite out of me.

Thomas477
19-01-2013, 02:45 PM

Most of these blokes who departed for better money left under Con before Tinks was even in the game. Covic Bridge Thommo Griff Grifflet North Dura

Others such as Tarek Labi Abbas Tiago were let go cause they were deemed not good enough

Topor was deemed to be over paid for his ability and was let go to free up funds.(Well spent on Mitchell I Know!!) and Brockie was wanted by GVE but only at the right price. Basically a decent player but not to be paid the money he wanted

Culina was punted due to injury and doubts over whether he would ever make it back

As for Lord Griffo not returning to Newy well that ain't exactly a case of us being outbid. We didn't put in the offer anywhere near required!!

At the end of the day HSG have gone down the route of Heskey for the Marquee. Griffo was NOT what they wanted.

Fair enough it attracts the newer fan to the club. Lord Griffo would have had the hard core fans flooging their logs over his resigning but wouldn't have had the impact Heskeytime has had.

Spending the big bucks on a Marquee has to go in the right direction and despite my desire to see Lord Griffo come home signing a Heskey was the smart option by HSG

This.

stopper2
19-01-2013, 05:40 PM

Spot on MFKS, only with "Lord Griffo" how convenient of you to forget that he was offered the marquee position before season 5 but he instead took up the offer of big bucks in China (which he had every right to). Whether HSG wanted to bring him back to the club is irrelevant because Jetmaster's original post and discussion was about KEEPING players at the club not trying to entice them back.

Jetmaster
19-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Apologies for confusion - I'm also trying to get a point across that we too easily let players go sometimes....most of those guys are doing well (except Bridge of course, who is without a goal this year I believe !)

That is a bone I have to pick with the coaching staff !

stopper2
19-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Apologies for confusion - I'm also trying to get a point across that we too easily let players go sometimes....most of those guys are doing well (except Bridge of course, who is without a goal this year I believe !)

That is a bone I have to pick with the coaching staff !
I understand where you are coming from mate, the salary cap does make things difficult but a lot of other clubs seem to be able to keep a core group of players year after year.
Just to correct you on Bridge....he has 5 so far this year (and I believe he scored the winning goal in the '08 GF!!!)

MFKS
20-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Melbourne Victory's investment in young Australian talent received yet another boost today, with the club confirming it has signed 18-year-old attacker Jesse Makarounas and 17-year-old defender Scott Galloway – both on deals that will see them remain at the club until the conclusion of the 2014/15 season.

Makarounas joins Victory from Perth Glory, where he made his Hyundai A-League debut, coincidentally, against Melbourne Victory in 2012, while he has made a further 3 appearances so far this season.

The 18-year-old has also represented Australia in several youth squads, scoring 13 goals in his 22 underage appearances, including one of the strikes of the tournament at the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico. He was also awarded the golden boot at the 2010 AFC U-16 Championship in Tashkent.

Galloway arrives at Victory from the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), where he has had an outstanding season for their National Youth League (NYL) team, a team which he also captained.

Melbourne Victory Coach Ange Postecoglou said both showed great potential which he looked forward to seeing develop over the coming seasons.

"Both Jesse and Scott are players we can see making an impact on this league and there is no doubt they have plenty of talent, which really excites us," Postecoglou said.

"Jesse has already had a small taste of the A-League and we think he will fit into our system really well. Goal-scorers are a priceless commodity in our game and his record with the national teams he’s played in is fantastic, so we’re excited to have him onboard.

"Scott was captaining the AIS side in the NYL and has obviously been in a good environment where he’s been allowed to develop into a fine young player who I believe will only get better,” he added.
Both have signed two-and-a-half year contracts and will be available to represent the club throughout the remainder of Hyundai A-League and National Youth League seasons.

Before flying east with his new teammates, Makarounas said, “I want to thank Perth Glory for the opportunities they gave me and it was certainly a tough decision to leave my home town, but Melbourne Victory has shown a willingness to blood youngsters on a number of occasions this season and it was an offer I couldn’t refuse.”

Galloway was equally excited to be heading to AAMI Park, “It’s every young footballers dream to sign their first professional contract, so I’m over the moon to be joining a club like Melbourne Victory. Hopefully I can repay their faith in me over the next few seasons.” Galloway said.

The duo will arrive in Melbourne with the rest of the squad this evening.

PLAYER PROFILES:

Jesse Makarounas
DOB: 18/4/1994
Position: Attacker
A-League appearances: 4
Australia U20 apps: 3 (2 goals)
Australia U17 apps: 19 (11 goals)

Scott Galloway
DOB: 10/04/1995
Position: Midfield/Fullback
AIS Captain

Blokes named Galloway. AIS connections and we don't sign him. WTF??

Sammy >>> Scotty according to GVE

boz-monaut
20-01-2013, 02:34 PM
having a Gallaway and Galloway on the books would have just confused everyone

particularly those who aren't very good at spelling

plague
20-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Just to correct you on Bridge....he has 5 so far this year (and I believe he scored the winning goal in the '08 GF!!!)

Sorry but you just can't trust Wikipedia dude.
Bridge is currently tied with D'apuzzo as the longest serving playing in theA-League yet to score a goal.
As for the '08 GF, we all know it was Stu who scored that.

stopper2
21-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Bridge is currently tied with D'apuzzo as the longest serving playing in theA-League yet to score a goal.
LOL you need to get off the drugs matey!

Bon
21-01-2013, 08:47 AM
LOL you need to get off the drugs matey!

You talking about Stu or Plague? :lol:

cobra23
21-01-2013, 09:19 AM

Griff scored that goal!!!

howardyou
21-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Griff scored that goal!!!

Yes. Ryan played well that great day.

plague
21-01-2013, 03:53 PM
You talking about Stu or Plague? :lol:

We're the same bloke pretty much anyway.

Pico
21-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Jets lead the way when it comes to locals

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/advertising/00001278-image.png

Monday, 21 January 2013 8:53 AM

Do fans really care any more if their players are one of them? Seemingly not if you're a fan of, say, Chelsea, or Arsenal, who have famously fielded teams made up entirely of foreigners. Not an Englishman, let alone a Londoner, in sight. Perhaps yes if you're a fan of Atletico Bilbao, who continue to defy the effects of globalisation on the world's most global game by steadfastly refusing to sign any players who are not of Basque origin.

Somewhere in between lies the conventional wisdom. It's nice to have a few locals in your team but playing winning, and entertaining football, generally supersedes most of those sensibilities.

We're no different here in Australia, where the Hyundai A-League is buffeted by the same trade winds. Almost a quarter of each squad list is set aside for foreigners, while more often we are seeing players leaving their hometown clubs to chase opportunity in other states.

As the competition moves into the next phase of its evolution - to professionalise the development pathway - it will become more important to grow, and keep, your own. It doesn't make sense to pour money and resources into a project and discard the end result. Which is why last week's departure of local boy Jesse Makarounas has hit such a raw nerve in Perth. A sign of things to come, perhaps.

Increasingly, it matters to Glory fans that their club is struggling to make use of the best generation of talent Western Australia has ever seen. It's starting to matter to the Wellington Phoenix fans that they see more Kiwis wearing yellow and black now that the club is starting to invest in an academy program. Across the Hyundai A-League clubs are reacting to the irrefutable logic of creating a nursery they can call their own.

For clubs like Sydney FC, Central Coast Mariners, Melbourne Heart and Melbourne Victory, whether those players they ultimately develop are locals is less important, for differing reasons. For the likes of Adelaide United, Perth Glory, Wellington Phoenix, Western Sydney Wanderers and Brisbane Roar it counts for a lot more. But nowhere does it matter more to the fans to see local players in their local team than in Newcastle, where the Jets represent the most parochial football audience in the country. It's always been thus.

A quick history lesson. The coalminers who brought football to the Hunter towards the end of the 19th century came mostly from one of the most parochial regions on earth, the north of England. The clubs they created, like Minmi Rangers, West Wallsend, Adamstown Rosebuds, Wallsend and Weston, reflected those values. They didn't even like each other, and when, from the 1920s, they started playing against teams from Sydney, they liked them even less. If you've ever wondered why Northern NSW has its own federation, there's your answer. It's a hard-nosed culture of pride, as much as parochialism. And it thrives to this day.

Next month, Newcastle will celebrate the 35th anniversary of national league football in the region. The 'Men of Football' - a coterie group of former players, coaches, officials and fans - has organised a reunion of Newcastle KB United to mark the occasion, and former star Ken Boden is flying across from Perth as guest of honour. Boden is English, like many of the foundation players recruited by inaugural coach, Alan Vest, another Englishman. Vest once told a youthful Craig Johnston he'd never make it, and if you talk to the organisers, it's not the imports but the local boys like Malcolm McClelland, Brett Cowburn, Joe Senkalski and Peter Treddinick who'll be the stars of the show.

In the 1970s and early 1980s the Hunter was a hotbed of talent - Northern NSW was winning national youth titles and Booragul High and Newcastle Technical High were winning Tasman Cups. Vest may have needed convincing, but as KB United morphed into Newcastle Rosebuds, who morphed into Newcastle Breakers, the production line of local kids inevitably became impossible to ignore.

For instance, who remembers this lot? Ralph Maier, David Lowe, Howard Tredinnick, Mike Boogaard, Graham Jennings, Darren Stewart, Andy Roberts, Todd McManus, Bobby Naumov, Clayton Zane, Scott Thomas, Mark and Gary Wilson, Robbie Middleby, Craig Carter, Shayne Price, Brad Swancott and the imperious Troy Halpin - the most technically-gifted Anglo/Aussie I've ever seen. This is not a complete list by any means, but at one stage during the mid-1990s you could go to Birmingham Gardens and see as many as eight locals in the starting team.

Which brings us to the Jets, and the era of the Hyundai A-League. For a long time now the local flavour has been missing, and it's been causing some angst. For the greatest achievement in Newcastle's storied football history, winning the 2008 grand final, there was only one Novocastrian (Stuart Musialik) in the starting eleven. For many, that hurt.

The 'Men of Football' are, in many ways, the keepers of the flame. Parochial, and proud of it. But not irrational. Per capita, Northern NSW has more players than any other 'state' in the country. The players are there.

"There's always been this belief up here that you should invest, first and foremost, in your local talent," says founding member Neil Jameson, a respected local journalist/author who was also a key figure behind the formation of KB United.

"Nothing is more galling for the fans than to see a local kid passed over by the coach and he then goes somewhere else and proves him wrong. We're such a tight-knit football community; if a local kid plays we all know him, or his family. There's a connection, an emotional investment, which I doubt you get in many other places. I like to think we're a bit like the Geordies, or the Catalans, in that we know all about our football culture, and our history in the game."

So here's the best bit, which I've saved until last. Newcastle Jets, circa 2013, are getting it. Last week they re-signed Sam Gallaway, who hails from Coffs Harbour. He was one of five locals (Ben Kennedy, Jobe Wheelhouse, James Virgili and Andrew Hoole were the others) on the teamsheet for the F3 derby. But for injury, Taylor Regan and Ben Kantarovski might have been on it as well.

When Nathan Tinkler bought the Jets, increasing the number of locals on the payroll was one of his cornerstone strategies. There have been some curly moments since, but with a better relationship with the Northern NSW federation developing, and the Emerging Jets program evolving, the big man is starting to live up to his end of the bargain. In the long term, he'll be respected for it. Well done.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/cockerill-opinion-display/Jets-lead-the-way-when-it-comes-to-locals/58760

What no mention of Hoffman :whistling:

21-01-2013, 06:53 PM
^ Saving the big gun for the naming of the stand.

seldom
22-01-2013, 01:20 AM
so coffs harbour is local aye...I know its nnsw but to class sam as a local is stretchin it.good to see kenny boden makin the trip...he was class

Pico
22-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Newcastle Jets out to end shocking record against Phoenix in Wellington

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
January 22, 2013 12:00AM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/01/12/1226552/677140-jets-coach-gary-van-egmond.jpg

Jets coach Gary Van Egmond. Picture: Liam Driver Source: The Daily Telegraph

THEY are the damning statistics coach Gary van Egmond says will ensure complacency is not an issue when the Newcastle Jets travel over the ditch to take on struggling Wellington on Sunday.

On paper, everything points to a Jets win.

After leaking like a sieve during the first half of the season, the Jets' defence hasn't conceded a goal in their past three matches.

Their latest offering was a commendable scoreless draw against A-League leaders Central Coast in Gosford.

In stark contrast, the shell-shocked Phoenix are at the bottom of the ladder and coming off a 7-1 drubbing at the hands of Sydney FC.

But van Egmond doesn't have to look far for the motivation to make sure his side takes to Westpac Stadium with the right attitude.

It's all there in the fine print.

The Jets have never beaten the Phoenix in New Zealand. Not even gone close.

The two sides have played on seven occasions with Wellington coming out on top seven times by a staggering 20-2 goal margin.

And their dominance of Newcastle is not just restricted to New Zealand. In 14 A-league games between the two sides, the Jets have won just twice, with their last win more than two years ago.

"The stats don't lie - it is always tough for us against them no matter where we play," Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said yesterday.

"Over there, we have never won.

"No question they are our bogy team and we won't be under any illusions about how tough it's going to be on Sunday. They have just been smashed by Sydney and generally speaking when you come off a belting like that, there's a significant response from players out to redeem themselves," he said.

Those stats are even worse than GVE's managerial stats :fright:

Pico
22-01-2013, 07:31 AM
The Lowedown: Star's pride and passion
By DAVID LOWE
Jan. 21, 2013, 10:53 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/cbbbc35b-d02e-4d69-99ff-093d75f0e863.jpg
Alessandro Del Piero celebrates a goal. Picture: Anthony Johnson

NEVER again will I question why people still go to see The Rolling Stones, The Who and The Eagles - however, I do draw the line at Meatloaf - after Alessandro Del Piero's latest display at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Class and quality are enduring, it seems. You just need the right environment to display your gifts.

There has never been any question that ADP belongs centre stage on a football field and the Wellington defence allowed him to paint a glorious picture of finesse, touch and ice-cold clinical efficiency in front of goal.

We have already been treated this season to his wonderful vision and incisive, inventive passing. We have had glimpses of the pride and passion that burns inside and drives him on at 38 years of age, but on Saturday we saw something more.

Those who were present at the ground will never forget the day the great artist, and the clinical assassin inside the little maestro, appeared in simultaneous harmony.

It was Federer or McEnroe in their pomp - glorious, breathtaking, other-worldly, yet calculated, remorseless and unstoppable at the same time.

A certain Diego Maradona once said he would choose Del Piero over Zinedine Zidane because he looked like he lived, and loved, playing the game more.

As "Jetz Fanatic" blogged earlier in the season: "This is at 38, imagine what he would have been like at 28!"

For those who witnessed his sumptuous offering on Saturday, that might be a mind-boggling stretch, and perhaps we should all just be grateful for the privilege of watching a true genius at this stage of his career.

Speaking of blogging, your columnist had his first taste of the format during a live run of the Jets v Mariners clash on Saturday night. I must confess to cheating here. Herald online editor Eve Nesmith acted as my typist, otherwise I would have seen four minutes of football, as I searched for letters and punched them in with one chubby finger.

It was a fairly hectic experience, but one I enjoyed. It was a pretty decent match, with plenty of excitement and passion. The standard of some of the unprintable half-time jokes relayed by the participating bloggers wasn't half bad either, but I digress . . .

I said on Saturday night in the heat of the moment that I felt it was close to the Jets' best performance of the season, and I maintain that view in the cold light of reflection.

The front page of Monday's sport liftout showed a very fitting picture of acting captain Ruben Zadkovich first to the ball, winning a header, and the headline "335 minutes - that's how long it's been since the Jets conceded a goal".

That fact is noteworthy because of the porous rate of the concession previously, 18 games without a clean sheet. But the Jets, after all their defensive woes, became the first side to record three consecutive zeros in the goals-conceded column this season.

That is an area which we in the media trumpeted as needing urgent attention, and credit must be given to the playing and coaching staff for stabilising the foundations.

Is there a cost involved in such a change? One goal scored (or is it technically two?) in those same 335 minutes might suggest that the opportunities at the other end are not quite so consistently manufactured either. But most football people I know would love to take no goals against and build from there.

That is not suggesting that the Jets are not making chances, or have suddenly become a boring defensive team. Far from it. Their concerted decision to close the gap from front to back, means that, yes, they are compact and hard to break down, but also when they win the ball, the majority of the field players are condensed, and space is at a premium.

Certainly the Jets have the pace to spring forward from those crowded midfield areas, and they consistently exploited the space in behind Pedj Bojic on the Mariners' right to good effect on Saturday night.

Five points and no goals conceded in three pretty tight matches, against decent opposition, is a good outcome at this stage of the season. It's not outstanding, but better than par.

Now comes the important test, the game that form suggests you should win. An away trip to Wellington in previous seasons was a precursor to sleepless nights and horrible lost weekends. But it represents a real chance for the Jets to put one of the six sides fighting for two semi-final spots out of contention.

No doubt the Jets will focus on their performance, and on maintaining confidence and momentum. However, if they bring three points home from across the ditch, they will put themselves eight points clear of the Phoenix, and all but extinguish any play-off hopes for Ricki Herbert's side.

That would be a fair fall from grace for the Kiwis, so, like Jets coach Gary van Egmond, I'm expecting a desperate, backs-to-the-wall Wellington side to fire up, and give the Jets a fight.

Make no mistake, the top four positions are signed, sealed and delivered - it's just a question of the order they finish. So outside them it's a real dogfight for the other six clubs to claim one of the two available spots.

If the Jets remove one threat in Wellington, and the Glory manage to put the Roar to the sword in Perth this Saturday, it will be mightily difficult for either of those sides to climb back into the mix.

Mind you, the Glory are in no great shape themselves, sitting on 19 points, and outside the top six. At least one of last season's grand finalists looks likely to miss the play-offs - which would be a real fall from grace - and Saturday night's clash might just have a major bearing on who that is.

Adelaide, who have suffered some injury problems and struggled on the road in recent weeks, will do well to get a point in their top-of-the-table visit to Gosford.

Western Sydney will be hard to beat at home to the Melbourne Heart, who are talented but without captain Fred. They can also be brittle away from AAMI Park and in the second half.

Sydney FC, with confidence and their goal difference somewhat bolstered, will face a much sterner task when they visit Melbourne Victory than they did against Wellington last week. They come to Hunter Stadium next weekend, so it's a vital game for all concerned.

The Jets will do well to concentrate totally on Wellington. Traditionally, Newcastle sides have done well fighting against the bigger-name teams and struggled to dictate against the lesser lights.

History indicates a point would be a good return, but form suggests the Jets should be aiming a little higher.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1249742/the-lowedown-stars-pride-and-passion/?cs=306

People honestly talking us up for a win, hope the bookers start listening might be a good chance for an easy collect.

Pico
22-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Brockie desperate to end rut
By JAMES GARDINER

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/24897884-c945-4415-98be-e1ec2ee03f05.jpg
OLD BOY: Jeremy Brockie in action for the Wellington Phoenix.

FORMER Jets striker Jeremy Brockie has a lot on his plate.

Brockie's wife, Jess, is due to give birth to their first child on February 10.

Then there is New Zealand's crucial World Cup qualifiers against New Caledonia (March 22) and the Solomon Islands (March 26).

But of immediate concern is ending the rut the Wellington Phoenix are in against none other than his old club, Newcastle, at Westpac Stadium on Sunday.

Semi-finalists for the past three seasons, Wellington sit in unfamiliar territory at the bottom of the A-League ladder.

They were embarrassed 7-1 by Sydney FC - the Nix's biggest ever defeat - last round, their fourth straight loss, and the blowtorch has been applied to coach Ricki Herbert and the playing squad.

"When you have a big loss like that the next game can't come soon enough," Brockie told the Newcastle Herald on Monday.

"All the boys are hurting and we will be working our butts off to make sure we take something out of the game on Sunday.

"It is the worst run of consecutive losses for Wellington and that was the club's biggest loss as well.

"We are back home this weekend and have to stick together as a team and bounce back pretty quickly."

Of most concern has been their frailty in defence.

Normally rock solid, they have leaked 13 goals in the recent run of losses and have conceded first in the past eight games.

"Wellington has always been known as a hard team to break down and hard team to score goals against," said Brockie. who joined the Phoenix this season. after two years in Newcastle.

"We have to get back to that. As a team we are just conceding soft goals.

"When you are in a rut, sometimes you cop a goal and the confidence goes out the door quickly.

"We haven't scored first for eight games now. Us attacking players need to make sure we finish off our opportunities when we get them to take some pressure off the defence."

Brockie scored a brace in Wellington's 3-0 win over the Jets at Hunter Stadium in round seven and has since increased his tally to 10 goals - one more than his total last season for the Jets.

"I worked hard in pre-season to make sure last year wasn't a one-off in terms of goal scoring," Brockie said.

"I am happy to be sitting where I am with 10 goals so far but I would swap a couple of goals for wins any day.

"I am an attacking player and it is my job to help the team get us out of the situation we are in."

Following the Jets, the Phoenix host Perth in Auckland, after which Brockie not only hopes to have their season back on track but also be a dad.

"We are just past the 37-week mark and the baby can arrive any time it wants now, so it is exciting times," Brockie said.

"The nursery is ready to go and everything is set. It is just a matter of waiting for the arrival.

"We have a home game this weekend and then we are up in Auckland, which is not too far away.

"It would be nice if the baby arrive between now and then."

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1249743/brockie-desperate-to-end-rut/?cs=306

Can see Brockie scoring in this one and for us to drop out of the six.

Pico
22-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Jesic bouncing back into his A-game form
By JAMES GARDINER

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/7f0a4ec7-c454-412f-9189-e3e36f95f94f.jpg

Marko Jesic. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers

FORGOTTEN Jets striker Marko Jesic has not given up hope of reigniting his A-League career and pointed to reborn defender Sam Gallaway as an example of how quickly circumstances can turn for the good.

Off contract, Jesic is the only member of the Jets' senior roster not to have played a minute this season.

In fact, it is closing in on a year since the former Olyroo made the last of his 41 A-League appearances - 90 minutes in a 1-all draw with Adelaide in Bathurst on January 25, 2012.

The 23-year-old has scored nine goals in the Jets youth league team, including four in the past two games, but has been unable to jump up the queue of attackers.

"I was playing week-in, week-out and now not to be playing at all is very frustrating," Jesic said.

"It's difficult, but all I can do is keep doing what I'm doing, keep scoring goals, and hopefully I am knocking on the door pretty soon."

The arrival this season of James Brown, Adam Taggart, Craig Goodwin and to a lesser extent Bernardo Ribeiro, and the emergence of James Virgili, have seen Jesic's stocks plummet.

It was only two years ago in a Sun-Herald newspaper article that Jets coach Gary van Egmond, who was then at the Australian Institute of Sport, rated Jesic alongside Ben Kantarovski, Terry Antonis and Eli Babalj as leaders of "generation next" and expected them to be pushing for a place in the Socceroos World Cup squad for Brazil 2014.

Jesic was about to return from a third knee reconstruction. He played 27 games for the Jets in their 2010-11 campaign, scoring five goals and a successful combination with former England frontman and guest player Francis Jeffers.

"It took me a while to get going but once Frannie came in my confidence grew and I had a pretty good year," he said.

Olyroos commitments and a couple of untimely setbacks with niggling injuries restricted his output to four games last season and things have continued to slide.

"I never give up hope," Jesic said. "I am one of the most motivated people. I have come back from three knee reconstructions. Some people don't come back from one."

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1249745/jesic-bouncing-back-into-his-a-game-form/?cs=306

Would need to be a huge inury crisis for jesic to even get a look in at this stage.

front2
22-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Lol the Loldown. Who are you trying hoodwink Lowie? Perfect ambush again for the Nix to grab a vital three pointer.

stopper2
22-01-2013, 09:06 AM
so coffs harbour is local aye...I know its nnsw but to class sam as a local is stretchin it.good to see kenny boden makin the trip...he was class
I believe Sam came through the NNSW state teams when he was younger and NNSWIS. Technically he is not a local lad but he is a NNSW product so we should embrace him as one of our own as the Jets are the flagship for the whole NNSW.

Muswellbrookian
22-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Tom Smithies doesn't seem to know that we actually won our first ever match in Wellington. A very lucky 1-0 thanks to a scrappy Thompson free kick. Hoffman missed a sitter...I often wonder how his career might have panned out if it had gone in.

Actually, no I don't. He's shit.

Jeterpool
22-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Tom Smithies doesn't seem to know that we actually won our first ever match in Wellington. A very lucky 1-0 thanks to a scrappy Thompson free kick. Hoffman missed a sitter...I often wonder how his career might have panned out if it had gone in.

If it had goen in he may have remained a striker(:gent:) and never become the dominating central holding midfielder he has become

:gent: :lulz: :lulzturtle:

MFKS
22-01-2013, 10:52 AM

That game ever happen.??

Seems like a complete load of Bullshit to say that we won in Wellington.

My recollections of the place in 2-3-4-5 goal hidings with the contest usually over by half time and our blokes look and play like they have been out on the piss all night and haven't been in bed for 48 hours.

Suppose people will be telling me next we also have a good record at winning games in Perth, Gypos have won GF's, Mark Bridge has scored in the GF and that Marko Jesic will be called up to partner the Hoff for the Socceroos in the WC in Brazil.

Just like all those things saying the Jets win in Wellington just seems like outright blatant lies!!!

snake
22-01-2013, 12:47 PM
iirc, it was hoffman's debut and the bloke hit the post :rof:

Beeen
22-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Caravella released from Adelaide. I'd like to see him here buuuuuuut 29 is way old.

22-01-2013, 08:46 PM
^ 20 years to old and perhaps never been to Canberra other than to visist questacon, the mint and war memorial so no not a chance.

Jeterpool
22-01-2013, 08:58 PM
He'll go to Sydney. Everyone is going there. It's the place to be.

Actually, gypos could be a shout

timmy_v
22-01-2013, 09:00 PM
We're signing him if its not already done. Injury cover for kanta

parksey
22-01-2013, 09:02 PM
not bad.

militiamon
22-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Ya, pretty good.

Why is Kanta still injured though?

sammydog
22-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Ray Gatt is saying its a done deal.

Thomas477
22-01-2013, 09:37 PM
We're signing him if its not already done. Injury cover for kanta

Wasn't Chris Grosman cover for Kanta? Or was he bumped to Jobes cover and left when Jobe returned?

seldom
22-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Ya, pretty good.

Why is Kanta still injured though?

not sure but his brother has gone out in sympathy.........................

terry
22-01-2013, 10:42 PM
^ 20 years to old and perhaps never been to Canberra other than to visist questacon, the mint and war memorial so no not a chance.

gve should become a priest and be done with it

Muswellbrookian
23-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Adelaide have released Zenon Caravella. Ray Gatt's Twatting that we've secured his services.

furns
23-01-2013, 03:01 AM
yeah dont get that at all

must have great engines, etc

Jeterpool
23-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Surprises me if I'm honest.

Isn't he more a No. 10?

Pico
23-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Skipper Jobe plays for Jets future
By JAMES GARDINER
Jan. 22, 2013, 11 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/3c829fa6-933f-4e6e-9c02-e94018852b51.jpg
WAITING GAME: Jobe Wheelhouse at Jets training on Wednesday. Picture: Anita Jones

JETS captain Jobe Wheelhouse has come to terms with the fact he may have to leave his home-town club.

Wheelhouse is one of seven Jets off contract, headed by marquee man Emile Heskey.

A-League rivals Melbourne Heart and Central Coast Mariners have expressed an interest in the industrious midfielder, but his preference is to stay at the Jets, where he is a foundation player and has played more than 100 games.

The Heart were keen to sign Wheelhouse for the rest of the season.

Jets coach Gary van Egmond knocked that on the head but the club has not opened negotiations for a new deal.

‘‘There has been a little bit of interest,’’ Wheelhouse said on Tuesday.

‘‘I guess that comes when Newcastle haven’t really tabled anything to me yet.

‘‘You have to look after your livelihood. If I have to move on, I will, but I’m a Newcastle boy and want to stay.’’

The Jets last week signed Sam Gallaway (two years) and Andrew Hoole (one year) to new contracts, extending the list of locally produced players confirmed for next season to seven.

‘‘We will see, hopefully in the next week or two, whether I am staying or moving on,’’ Wheelhouse said.

‘‘It is your livelihood so you want to know what is going on.

‘‘All I can do is go out and perform for the team.’’

The club’s policy is not to comment on player retention and recruitment.

After missing five games with a knee injury and playing the past two off the bench, Wheelhouse is poised to return to the starting line-up in place of the suspended Ruben Zadkovich for the away match against Wellington on Sunday.

‘‘Ruben being suspended gives me an opportunity to come in and show the coach what I have got,’’ he said.

‘‘I presume that is the way he will go, but you never know until game day.

“The boys have being doing really well in my absence, so I’ve had to bide my time.

‘‘Ruben has been our best player for the past four or five weeks.

‘‘Josh Brillante has also been doing really well. We have good depth.’’

Wheelhouse had been among the Jets’ best in the opening nine rounds before tearing the medial ligament in his knee in a challenge at training on December 4.

‘‘It was not like it was a torn quad or a torn groin,’’ he said.

‘‘It was one of those things at training that happen. You go in for a tackle, tear your medial, and miss five or six weeks.’’

Centre back Josh Mitchell joins Zadkovich in the stands after both picked up their fifth yellow card of the campaign in the scoreless draw against the Central Coast Mariners.

Taylor Regan, who missed the Mariners stalemate with a strained calf, returns to the heart of the defence.

He sat out training on Tuesday but will rejoin the main group today and is confident of being fit.

Ryan Griffiths also missed the session with a sore heel but is in no doubt for Sunday.

The Jets have a horrendous record in the New Zealand capital.

Their one and only win was a scrappy 1-0 result in their first visit to Westpac Stadium on September 9, 2007.

Since then they have recorded eight straight losses.

‘‘It’s been well documented that we’ve gone there and haven’t been able to get a result, so that’s a big challenge for us,’’ Wheelhouse said.

“We’re in good enough nick to go there and get a result, I have no doubt about that, but we’re also under no illusions that they’re a good side.

“They’re our bogey side, they’ve always done well against us, so we need to be switched on from the start.’’

Phoenix, who will be without suspended midfielder Vince Lia, have lost four games straight to slip to the bottom of the table and are coming off a 7-1 thrashing at the hands of Sydney FC.

‘‘[Coach] Ricki Herbert will have them fired up after the demolition job on the weekend,’’ Wheelhouse said.

‘‘They will be hurting big time and will be up for it.

‘‘If we are not up for it, we will get spanked.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1252269/skipper-jobe-plays-for-jets-future/?cs=306

Jobe seems like a frustrated player with this contract talk, I'd say he might be getting the feeling like he's out of GVE's plans, thats starting to sound all too familiar.

Pico
23-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Newcastle Jets poised to sign Zenon Caravella from Adelaide United

Neil Cordy and Barry Toohey
The Daily Telegraph
January 23, 2013 12:00AM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/01/22/1226559/608922-zenon-caravella.jpg
Zenon Caravella (centre) was released by Adelaide United late yesterday. Source: Getty Images

NEWCASTLE Jets are poised to sign Adelaide attacking midfielder Zenon Caravella, with the Reds star set to link with the club as early as today.

Caravella, 29, Adelaide's player of the year last season, was released by the club late yesterday and sources said he was headed for Newcastle and was likely to train with the Jets today.

Neither Jets CEO Robbie Middleby or coach Gary van Egmond could be contacted last night to confirm or deny the signing.

The former Gold Coast midfielder was a standout for the Reds in his debut season with the club, but has been in and out of the top team this season, prompting the move.

His signing is expected to heap further pressure on Jets skipper Jobe Wheelhouse, who remains unsigned for next season and admitted yesterday his A-League future may not lie with his home-town club.

While the Jets have not entertained granting Wheelhouse a release despite rumoured interest from rival clubs, his long-term prospects at the club remain clouded and speculation will only grow with Caravella's signing.

After being sidelined for a month with a knee injury, the skipper failed to win back his starting spot and has spent the past two games playing limited minutes off the bench.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/01/22/1226559/608909-jobe-wheelhouse.jpg

Jobe Wheelhouse is under pressure to retain his spot with the Jets in 2013. Source: Getty Images

To complicate the issue, stand-in skipper Ruben Zadkovich has been outstanding in the midfield since taking the captain's armband and has formed an impressive partnership with youngster Josh Brillante in the centre of the park.

Wheelhouse gets an opportunity to lead the side again against Wellington in Wellington on Sunday but only because Zadkovich will miss the trip due to suspension.

Wheelhouse's future could hinge on how well he performs across the ditch but he is adamant the team comes first.

"I've just got to go out and do the best for the team," he said yesterday.

"Ruben's been our best player for the past few weeks. I'll come in and do the best I can. If I do well, Dutchy (van Egmond) will have a decision to make on who he drops or who he leaves in.

"I've been good (fitness- wise) for over a fortnight now. That's what the coaching staff's been told and it's Dutchy's choice to start me on the bench the last two games and that's fine."

Wheelhouse admitted there was interest elsewhere.

"I guess that comes when Newcastle hasn't really tabled anything to me yet," he said.

I guess he could come in for Brillante and form a partnership with zad no mention of contract length either. Not looking too good for Jobe, last game you would want to use to get a new contract would be newy vs nix in NZ.

GazFish35
23-01-2013, 07:23 AM
http://www.bagtheweb.com/b/kMiKLJ

Webpage links (17)

Opinion: Wellington Phoenix
The Dominion Post is great. Here's an opinion piece on the situation in which Wellington Phoenix find themselves, together with a photo showing the Board member at training with the clipboard etc. It turns out he's an economist. Spare me.
What next? Archie Thompson & Ruben Zadkovich running the economy! Hang on, if Julia hears that idea, they might just end up in Parliament ....
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/phoenix/8209784/Let-Phoenix-coach-...

"Massive" month for Adelaide
Galekovic says it's make or break time for Adelaide United (with mention of Coolen settlement and Caravella to Newcastle).
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/massive-month-to-decide-how-high-adelaid...

Caravella
News Ltd tabloids say Zenon is "poised" to sign with Newcastle, putting more pressure on Jobe Wheelhouse.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/newcastle-jets-poised-to-sign-ze...

Jobe may be leaving
One of the foundation players left in the A-League, Jobe may be going elsewhere at the end of season.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1252269/skipper-jobe-plays-for-jets-future/...

Ins and Outs for this weekend at Newcastle
The subject may give you an idea of what this is about.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1250573/jobe-leads-jets-charge/?cs=306

Caravella et al
Strange little report for the SMH. Caravella released; Ryall credits Farina for change of form.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/caravella-looks-for-new-home-after-early...

Well timed
Michael Lynch says ADP's four goal fiesta was well-timed for many reasons.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/class-act-goes-on-show-20130122-2d55v.html

Farina is the difference says Ryall
Funny how this made The Age as a separate article, but only rated a para in SMH. Ryall says Farina has made a huge difference for him and the team.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/ryall-credits-farina-with-reviv...

McDream Team
What can I say? ADP & Patrick Dempsey. Motor racing may have just got interesting.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/motorsport/alessandro-del-piero-starts-...

McDream Team 2
And another report on McDreamy & ADP.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/sydney-fcs-alessandro-del-pie...

McDream Team 3
Racing enthusiast, Michael Lynch, on the McDream Team. I am sure Sydney FC will be pleased ADP doesn't intend getting behind the wheel.
But the big question of the day is when do we get to see Patrick Dempsey at a SydneyFC match?
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/motorsport/del-piero-plans-le-mans-tilt-as-tea...

And coffee
This isn't football ... but just pointing out that Patrick Dempsey is quite busy at the moment. Coffee shops in Seattle. Racing cars with ADP ....
http://www.motherpedia.com.au/article/66214/mcdreamy-coffee

Matt Thompson
Matt Thompson hopes he's turned a corner in form this season.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/a-league/clubs-heartbeat-picking-up-the-pace-2...

Embracing the pressure
Laura Spiranovic looking forward to the GF.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/laura-spiranovic-aiming-for-g...

Matt Smith
No season-ending hip injury for Smith, but at least 2 games out.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/roar-skipper-matt-smith-hopef...

They're doin' the others heads in
Mark Bridge tells 'Cords' that the brilliant Wanderers fans are getting to opposition teams.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/western-sydney-wanderers-fans...

Richard Hinds in love
It's not football - but it's worth a read, especially if you're a tennis fan.
Those were the days, Richard. Some of us are old enough NOT to know how to do a double-handed backhand!
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/ms-singlehanded-backhand-a-gorgeous-blast-...

If the links don't work in the quote, go to the link at the top.
Better yet, follow @benitamersiades on twitter

pv4
23-01-2013, 07:32 AM
ban stick for linking the terror, phurnzy?

in regards to the jobe article, i wonder how many other clubs don't know their team lineup until gameday. not knowing the team lineup until gameday is a ridiculous idea imo. unless an unexpected injury happens, the team should be set in stone at least midway through the week so the boys can ramp up & train as a unit. i know when mv put broxham in centre back he was asked how long the plan had been in the works & he said the entire week the team was lined up like the lineup they played with, and it was good to get a lot of practise at training at centre back & with the team he'd be playing in. for reference, if you forgot - mv won that game, it was against us.

Jetmaster
23-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I think Jobe is gone...which in a way is a shame. He is the only Jet still here who played for Newy with McBreen ! *edit - oops, so did Mitchell !*

The turning point appears to be the desire to hold on to Rubes. I have heard on the grapevine that the three year package offered to him includes the Jets captaincy.

Bon
23-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Jets just confirmed Caravella has signed..

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-secure-Zenon-Caravella/58910

lil_masi
23-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Jets just confirmed Caravella has signed..

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-secure-Zenon-Caravella/58910

Interesting the article says we signed him for the remainder of the season and then GVE follows up saying:

“We are really happy to acquire Zenon, not only for this season but for next season as well,” van Egmond said.

q-money
23-01-2013, 10:22 AM
why didn't we take van dijk seeing as adelaide were having a cleanout

bloke looks like a ninja turtle (y)

Bon
23-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Yeah the article says at the top, "for the remainder of this season and the 2013/14 season."

Dainnan
23-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Looks like we might have seen the last of Ribeiro in jets colors then.

The poor bloke looked morose and a bit lonely at the members event yesterday. Wonder if he knew the Jets were planning to sign Caravella and saw the writing on the wall.

Jetmaster
23-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Could be good - he knows how to work with James Brown.

Bring him on against the Smurfs, will want to stick it to Uncle Frank !

lil_masi
23-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Yeah the article says at the top, "for the remainder of this season and the 2013/14 season."

Missed that last bit

parksey
23-01-2013, 10:57 AM
if this means the end of jobe it's a doscrace

cobra23
23-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Good Signing IMO,

goaliepersempre
23-01-2013, 01:10 PM
the team is lining up... we have a black dude, balled dude and now a long haired dude. the asthetics of a champion team.

toad
23-01-2013, 01:11 PM
the team is lining up... we have a black dude, balled dude and now a long haired dude. the asthetics of a champion team.

hopefully we have more than one balled dude

boz-monaut
23-01-2013, 01:17 PM
"balled"

My2BobsWorth
23-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Stats don't look too flash, 88 games, 2 goals, 6 assists ???
And everyone knows it's bawled

goaliepersempre
23-01-2013, 01:43 PM
sorry bald* typo on phone.

plague
23-01-2013, 01:55 PM

We signed Lance Armstrong?

stopper2
23-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Caravella has always impressed me when he was first with GCU and last year with the Reds. Always seems to be a player who gets involved and makes an impact when he comes off the bench. Has good engines and a bit of mongrel in him.....good signing!

pv4
23-01-2013, 02:37 PM
never rated him tbh. always thought he leeched off culina's amazingness (all nts from ljubo style).

if it means the back end of bridges then happy days though. if it means the back end of ribeiro then "gve, stop signing carnts you're not going to play". if it means the back end of jobe then what a shithouse decision, as jobe is amazing for us (for reference jobe is two years younger & local - but yes he is a different position and yes we have a lot of DMs already).

btw i remember jobe played cb for us (in state league) one time & absolutely slayed. for years i've been saying let's put kanta at cb/rb as i think it's his naturally-suited position, but now i'm saying let's give jobe a shot at cb. he rarely loses the ball, is very strong & physical, is smart & is a leader.

Raw Boned Youngster
23-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Good call Pv- he also has that borled head that is important for a player in that position. personally, I'd also like to see him have a couple of teeth in the front out just to give him that harder edge

Bon
23-01-2013, 03:20 PM
personally, I'd also like to see him have a couple of teeth in the front out just to give him that harder edge

I'm sure if he spent a few hours out at Tronno pub, this could become a reality..

Buddha
23-01-2013, 04:23 PM
im still here?

Tommyjet
23-01-2013, 04:41 PM
never rated him tbh. always thought he leeched off culina's amazingness (all nts from ljubo style).

if it means the back end of bridges then happy days though. if it means the back end of ribeiro then "gve, stop signing carnts you're not going to play". if it means the back end of jobe then what a shithouse decision, as jobe is amazing for us (for reference jobe is two years younger & local - but yes he is a different position and yes we have a lot of DMs already).

btw i remember jobe played cb for us (in state league) one time & absolutely slayed. for years i've been saying let's put kanta at cb/rb as i think it's his naturally-suited position, but now i'm saying let's give jobe a shot at cb. he rarely loses the ball, is very strong & physical, is smart & is a leader.

My thoughts exactly

WolfMan
23-01-2013, 11:18 PM
if this means the end of jobe it's a doscrace

+1. Jobe has developed into a fine player over the years. Goes against everything our supposed philosophy of promoting and retaining talented locals, if he was to be let go.

Pico
24-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Caravella turns up heat in battle for positions
By JAMES GARDINER
Jan. 23, 2013, 10:30 a.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/300758c5-0360-48f7-90cb-038f2bd5fea9.jpg
Zenon Caravella at his first training session with the Jets yesterday. Picture: Darren Pateman

COACH Gary van Egmond insists the signing of Adelaide playmaker Zenon Caravella will not hurt the chances of captain Jobe Wheelhouse and in-form midfielder Ruben Zadkovich staying with the Jets.

Caravella trained with his new teammates yesterday and is likely to make his debut off the bench against Wellington Phoenix at Westpac Stadium on Sunday.

The 29-year-old, who has been contracted until the end of next season, adds to a midfield rotation that includes Zadkovich, Wheelhouse, Josh Brillante, Jacob Pepper, Ben Kantarovski (injured) and apprentice Mitch Oxborrow.

‘‘Technically he is very good, he works hard, he gets on the ball and gets the team playing,’’ van Egmond said. ‘‘He keeps the ball very well under pressure, is smart with his distribution ... I thought it was a very good acquisition to bring someone like that in.’’

Zadkovich and Wheelhouse are among seven Jets off contract.

Negotiations with Zadkovich are advanced, but while van Egmond said Wheelhouse was ‘‘in his plans’’, the club is yet to start formal talks with the skipper.

‘‘I will have a chat with Jobe with regards to the direction that we see for himself, where he sees the club, where we see him, where we see the club,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘We will go through those discussions and see what comes from that. Over the course of the next month you will see that a decision will be made one way or the other.’’

Van Egmond said Caravella’s recruitment was about creating depth at the club. He fills the vacancy created by the departure last week of Brazilian defender Tiago to Sydney FC.

‘‘We are in a position where we have an opportunity to bring a player in and strengthen the squad,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘He can play in one of those midfield roles, six, eight or ten.

‘‘As I have said before, as a coach I want to have good competition in all positions.

‘‘With Zenon coming in that provides it. It is a case of seeing which ones step up and cement their position, van Egmond said.

‘‘Training today was very spritely. You bring someone in and it changes the mood. It was really good.’’

After coming off the bench in his first two games back from a knee injury, Wheelhouse is set to start for the suspended Zadkovich and assume the captaincy against the Phoenix.

‘‘Jobe had been injured for five weeks,’’ van Egmond said. ‘‘The team had done well with Josh [Brillante] and Ruben playing those positions.

‘‘This weekend Jobe is in a position to get game time.

‘‘It goes on performance. Right as this moment, you could not go past Ruben and Josh Brillante in that midfield role. The others have some work in front of them.’’

The Reds player of the year last season, Caravella had made only four appearances this campaign but had featured off the bench in their past three games.

‘‘Match fitness is obviously a concern because he hasn’t played as much for Adelaide,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘It is about trying to ensure we get match fitness into him but also making sure we don’t break him either.

‘‘We have to be a little bit careful. In saying that we have not brought him here to play youth league.’’

Taylor Regan is expected to replace Josh Mitchell (suspended) in the heart of defence.

Regan missed the scoreless draw with the Mariners because of a calf injury and was nursed through training yesterday. Ryan Griffiths (sore heel) also sat out the session.

‘‘We have had three clean sheets and the football has been pretty positive, so we don’t need to change too much,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘Taylor did a controlled field session today and we are really hopeful he will be fine.

‘‘Ryan needed time off his feet, but he should be fine.

‘‘He will train Friday and Saturday over there.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1253075/caravella-turns-up-heat-in-battle-for-positions/?cs=306

Surprised with this ribs hasn't tried to get a move in this transfer window, surely this is the end of the line for him with us.

Pico
24-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Jobe shapes as spare wheel
By JAMES GARDINER
Jan. 24, 2013, midnight

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-X7j23GmiySnGzG4anCYb2j/a0afed13-ed4c-4001-a0d7-3d946ac07880.jpg
Jobe Wheelhouse.

THE Newcastle Jets have delayed contract talks with captain Jobe Wheelhouse until at least next month, but what are they going to learn in that time that they don’t already know?

He is the leader of the club, a foundation player, one of only four players to have played 100 games and a pin-up boy for their home-grown policy.

At 27 he is approaching the peak of his career.

So why the doubt?

In the A-League world of a salary cap, coach Gary van Egmond is obliged to count every penny.

It seems van Egmond is not sure exactly where Wheelhouse fits into the equation.

Since the midfielder’s last contract he has taken on the captaincy. Not only has he grown as a leader – twice having to hold the group together during times of crisis – he has taken his game to a new level and is of the belief he deserves a pay rise.

He was among the Jets’ best in the opening nine rounds before tearing the medial ligament in his knee in a challenge at training. The result was a five-game stint on the sideline.

Durability hasn’t been Wheelhouse’s strong suit.

He was plagued by ankle and groin injuries early in his career but has bounced back in the past three years to churn out 18, 18 and 19 games and is on track to at least match that this campaign.

Timing and opportunity is everything in sport.

Wheelhouse’s latest setback presented a chance for Josh Brillante.

After a shaky start, the former Gold Coast teenager has come into his own, forcing Wheelhouse to return via the bench two weeks ago.

The skipper is back in the XI for the suspended Ruben Zadkovich against Wellington on Sunday.

But there is no doubt Brillante’s emergence has muddied the waters for van Egmond.

As has the career-best form of Wheelhouse’s good mate Zadkovich, who is also off contract, and the arrival yesterday of Zenon Caravella on an 18-month deal.

Ben Kantarovski (injured), Jacob Pepper and apprentice Mitch Oxborrow are also midfielders contracted for next year and waiting in the wings. Caravella takes the number confirmed for the 2013-14 roster to 17, leaving six vacancies.

Wheelhouse has other options.

Melbourne Heart have approached the Jets about signing him for the rest of the this season, a deal van Egmond rejected but the club is yet to officially knock back.

Leaders Central Coast Mariners have also identified Wheelhouse as a replacement for John Hutchinson if he is picked up by a Chinese club.

Who knows, a stint in a new city, out of his comfort zone, may make Wheelhouse an even better player.

By delaying talks, the Jets are almost encouraging him to accept another offer if it comes along – in effect making the decision for them.

The fact is Wheelhouse doesn’t want to go anywhere.

He made his debut as a 17-year-old for Newcastle United in the old national league a decade ago and cherishes the idea of finishing a one-club man.

Likewise, it would seem a waste of the club’s investment to wave him goodbye and let a rival profit.

What price loyalty? In Wheelhouse’s case, time will tell.

AAP reports: The mooted arrival of Young Socceroo Steven Lustica at A-League champions Brisbane has coincided with exciting winger Nick Fitzgerald’s departure.

Lustica, 21, is reportedly on loan from Croatian giants Hajduk Split and could make his Roar debut as early as Saturday in Perth.

The midfielder is set to reunite with his former Gold Coast United youth coach Mike Mulvey at Brisbane.

Fitzgerald, 20, will link with Central Coast after being released by the Roar yesterday.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1255072/jobe-shapes-as-spare-wheel/?cs=306

I think it will be a toss up between Stu and Jobe, whoever GVE signs the other probably wont be around and the way Stu keeps coming up I think its only a matter of time before Jobe gets shown the door.

GazFish35
24-01-2013, 07:53 AM
http://www.bagtheweb.com/b/YyqEho

24 January 2013

Webpage links (13)

A mixed bag story
The J-League making a peremptory raid on ADP. But would that fit with the Del Piero narrative?
And WS Wanderers rotation policy working says Shannon Cole (maybe they could talk to CA about it).
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/japans-j-league-in-bid-to-lur...

ADP can't have two games like that in a row
... Ange hopes.
Hmm. Not sure which games Ange has been watching either. I'm not convinced that ADP has "carried" Sydney FC through their 'horror stretch'.
But here's the start of the rhetorical ante being upped for Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC on Australia Day.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/ange-postecoglou-hopes-a-sell...

Beach of dreams
It started as a kick-around on the beach and now he could possibly be at a World Cup!
Go Zdrila!
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/football/beach-socceroos-aim-to-make-world-cup...

Western Sydney Westfield
The WS Wanderers swamp Westfield Parramatta. Ker-ching!
Who needs ADP?
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/hero-hersi-triggers-western-wave-2013012...

More from the Wanderers
AAP report.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/small-wonders-from-western-syd...

Babalj back
Eli Babalj is back and likely to be rushed into the side for the weekend.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/heart-hope-to-have-eli-babalj...

Where would the A-League be without Canberra
Tom's gone, but Bernie's son Steven, is back.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/a-league/one-for-one-rogic-to-europe-lustica-t...

Mulvey stays a bit
Mike Mulvey to stay on at least to May.
Nick Fitzgeralds released; Steven Lustica signed.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/brisbane-roar-owners-pledge-t...

Caravella 3
Zenon's arrival turns up at the heat in Newcastle Jets midfield.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1253075/caravella-turns-up-heat-in-battle-f...

Caravella 2
So nothing for the record books about the first uncle-nephew team-up after all!
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/newcastle-jets-poised-to-sign...

Caravella
Zenon signed until end of 2013-14.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/jets-sign-caravella-to-aleague-...

Jobe looking spare
It seems that captain Jobe Wheelhouse is looking like the spare option at Newcastle - but he has other offers including Melbourne Heart and WS Wanderers.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1255072/jobe-shapes-as-spare-wheel/?cs=306

Chelsea! Really Becks?
David Beckham lets his son try out for Chelsea.
Do something not-so-predictable and go to Fulham or Spurs instead.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/beckham-jr-tries-out-for-chel...

Jeterpool
24-01-2013, 07:54 AM
I've said it a few times before - that Jobe is starting to shape his body, pass, turn and distribute like Kasey Wehrman. He is turning into a fine holding midfielder.

However when Stu was in form for us, he held that defensive midfield spot on his own (correct me if i'm wrong), allowing others to push further forward.

I never used to rate Jobe, but he held this midfield together during our bad run. He was the only one I saw with real determination putting in his full efforts.

I would prefer to keep him at the known level he is than gamble on Musialik reaching and exceeding his previous level.

Was Musialik really any better in 08/09 than Jobe is now?

If he does leave I will be disappointed. Totally gutted if he ends up at the Mariners!!

GazFish35
24-01-2013, 07:54 AM
<script src="http://www.bagtheweb.com/embed_bag/YyqEho/width/300" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>

Let's see if this works

belchardo
24-01-2013, 08:31 AM
not sure it did Gary. :)

GazFish35
24-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Was just trying to embed the stuff fom my post above.
Shit 'ey

seldom
24-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I've said it a few times before - that Jobe is starting to shape his body, pass, turn and distribute like Kasey Wehrman. He is turning into a fine holding midfielder.

However when Stu was in form for us, he held that defensive midfield spot on his own (correct me if i'm wrong), allowing others to push further forward.

I never used to rate Jobe, but he held this midfield together during our bad run. He was the only one I saw with real determination putting in his full efforts.

I would prefer to keep him at the known level he is than gamble on Musialik reaching and exceeding his previous level.

Was Musialik really any better in 08/09 than Jobe is now?

If he does leave I will be disappointed. Totally gutted if he ends up at the Mariners!!

Agree with all of this...If they shaft Jobe for Stu the whole club should be ashamed and embarrassed

Disinterested Bystander
24-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Agree with all of this...If they shaft Jobe for Stu the whole club should be ashamed and embarrassed

Absolutely, I'm not a huge fan of Jobe, but surely he's a million times better than some drug ****ed couldabeenbutneverwas who hasn't played for 2 years. Look at how well Jardel worked out for us, and he was a 'has been', not a 'never was'! Hopefully that talk from GVE about giving Musialik a chance was just the usual random mutterings of our crazy coach, although the fact he could probably be signed for minimum wage no doubt sounds like the perfect reason to swap him for Jobe to Tinkler's money men.

cobra23
24-01-2013, 12:52 PM

Disagree,
I think we have two other players that are the same player as jobe, and 1 of them is Rubez who has everything thing jobe has plus speed,stamina and does not get injured every third game...
Dont get me wrong jobe is a good player but i think stu is that player who has the abilty to recieve and give balls to FEET very quickly and that wiil bring more space in the mids which will lead to balls being played to the strikers feet rather than there head..

Jeterpool
24-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Disagree,
I think we have two other players that are the same player as jobe, and 1 of them is Rubez who has everything thing jobe has plus speed,stamina and does not get injured every third game...
Dont get me wrong jobe is a good player but i think stu is that player who has the abilty to recieve and give balls to FEET very quickly and that wiil bring more space in the mids which will lead to balls being played to the strikers feet rather than there head..

The very quickly part is what grabs me. Quick ball movement is something we don't do well. Ribeiro is his cameos was doing this and it created acres of space, so is something we can do to take our game further.

We need someone who can do this.

Guerny
24-01-2013, 01:40 PM
... but i think stu was that player who has the abilty to recieve and give balls to FEET very quickly...

Edited for correctness, who knows what stu is like now...

The thing that comes closest to this is when we got rid of elrich, but whereas he was a liability on the pitch but a nice guy, Wheelhouse has actually been useful this season, which with his club loyalty to date, you would hope should be enough to justify at least a new squaddie contract.

G

parksey
24-01-2013, 01:51 PM
I can't see why Stu wasn't signed instead of Caravella if GvE really wanted him as badly as some think.

Jeterpool
24-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I can't see why Stu wasn't signed instead of Caravella if GvE really wanted him as badly as some think.

Fair point

belchardo
24-01-2013, 02:26 PM

GVE could be supremely confident that Stu won't be picked up by another team while GVE waits for some salary cap/squad space, whereas Caravella could have been picked up quite quickly by another team.

slobsy
24-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Absolutely, I'm not a huge fan of Jobe, but surely he's a million times better than some drug ****ed couldabeenbutneverwas who hasn't played for 2 years. Look at how well Jardel worked out for us, and he was a 'has been', not a 'never was'! Hopefully that talk from GVE about giving Musialik a chance was just the usual random mutterings of our crazy coach, although the fact he could probably be signed for minimum wage no doubt sounds like the perfect reason to swap him for Jobe to Tinkler's money men.

Feel free to bag the big maarn all you like, just don't forget that he scoed the winning goal for us in the grand final of '08.

WolfMan
24-01-2013, 05:04 PM
I think it's one of either Zad or Jobe. Apparently, the club are "advanced in negotiations" with Rubes. If he signs, I think Jobe will become too expensive within the restraints of the salary cap.

ForeverRed
24-01-2013, 05:49 PM
if they sign stu, I will give them away, the games moved forward since he last played, would struggle in state league

plague
24-01-2013, 06:16 PM
I reackon its unreal that we are the only club in the league who can't fit Griff, Rubez, Jobe and the cast of Home and Away under the ****ing cap while everyone else signs who they want.

Dead set can Middleby and Deans even count to 10?

GazFish35
24-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Deans has forgotten the factor the 'lifestyle' that allowed con to ofer 35k to every player.

Tommyjet
24-01-2013, 06:49 PM
What I hate about many jets fans is how oblivious they are to the hard workers of the team such as jobe, either that or they are too blind to see the difference between jobe and zad so they just assume its zadkovich who played the good pass, made that tackle or intercepted that pass( don't get me wrong I rate zad quite highly this season). Those who think zad is a better and more valuable asset to our team in newcastle is just yet another newcastle fan that rocks up and pays attention to just the showy bits, been listening to the same shit for 15 years.

q-money
24-01-2013, 07:04 PM
jobe is an underrated passer of the ball, watch him hit the long switches, legit gives me the horn

belchardo
24-01-2013, 07:40 PM
agree. best passer in the team. under-rated.

Jeterpool
24-01-2013, 07:58 PM
What I hate about many jets fans is how oblivious they are to the hard workers of the team such as jobe, either that or they are too blind to see the difference between jobe and zad so they just assume its zadkovich who played the good pass, made that tackle or intercepted that pass( don't get me wrong I rate zad quite highly this season). Those who think zad is a better and more valuable asset to our team in newcastle is just yet another newcastle fan that rocks up and pays attention to just the showy bits, been listening to the same shit for 15 years.

jobe is an underrated passer of the ball, watch him hit the long switches, legit gives me the horn

agree. best passer in the team. under-rated.

Thank god I'm not alone

belchardo
24-01-2013, 08:04 PM
basically have this argument with a couple of mates when we discuss jobe. they think him a liability, i think he's a lynchpin.

Bon
24-01-2013, 08:09 PM
basically have this argument with a couple of mates when we discuss jobe. they think him a liability, i think he's a lynchpin.

Totally agree..

24-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Up until this season i thought Jobe was just a player and certainly not captain material. He has however won me over this season.

la bazzle
24-01-2013, 08:26 PM

The same fans love gallaway who is one of the worst passers in the team constantly losing the ball. What do you expect?

If we let the house go it will be a disgrace

la bazzle
24-01-2013, 08:27 PM
84.9% accuracy. 2nd best in team

Jeterpool
24-01-2013, 08:53 PM
The same fans love gallaway who is one of the worst passers in the team constantly losing the ball. What do you expect?

If we let the house go it will be a disgrace

Love jobe but not in love with gallo

MFKS
24-01-2013, 09:13 PM
84.9% accuracy. 2nd best in team

Cause all his passes are backwards or ****ing sideways

howardyou
24-01-2013, 09:26 PM

What I hate about some Jets fans is that because they have an opinion, they believe that is it is the only one anybody can have. I feel that Jobe does not offer enough in the transition from defence to attack. His passes are not incisive or creative enough. He has been slow in making his decisions which forces us to move the ball sideways rather than forward. However, i don't mind being proven wrong. Do it this week Jobe.

Raw Boned Youngster
24-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Jobe gives us a bit of physical presence and I think that, in a team of boys, that is important. I was once a pretty harsh critic of Jobe but, to his credit, he has become a consistent and important contributor for the Jets. Eggsy can't continually undermine the mental state of players- it is a bizarre and disturbing trait. I suppose what I'm getting at is I would like to punch Egghead in the head.

parksey
24-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't think anyone who actually watches the games underrates Jobe anymore.

MFKS
24-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Egg should do a player swap Jobe goes to Sydney FC and we get Joel Griffo.

No one will give a flying **** about Jobe then:sparring::pissup:

belchardo
24-01-2013, 10:12 PM
What I hate about some Jets fans is that because they have an opinion, they believe that is it is the only one anybody can have. I feel that Jobe does not offer enough in the transition from defence to attack. His passes are not incisive or creative enough. He has been slow in making his decisions which forces us to move the ball sideways rather than forward. However, i don't mind being proven wrong. Do it this week Jobe.

so if jobe isn't fast enough, who in the current squad is offering better defence, faster ball movement, better vision and better leadership?

oh, sorry, your a dick, youse dont even know what a football is. :D

belchardo
24-01-2013, 10:12 PM

oh, they do. it's all about perspective.

seldom
24-01-2013, 10:16 PM

yeah i get this shit at work with a couple of nevs...never kicked a football in anger...get the fvck away from me

northern_swan
24-01-2013, 10:26 PM
What I hate about some Jets fans is that because they have an opinion, they believe that is it is the only one anybody can have.

This x 1,000,000
Throw out an opinion on this website, or FB pages of an official or unofficial nature and it can be like a Lynchmob.

MFKS
24-01-2013, 10:33 PM
This x 1,000,000
Throw out an opinion on this website, or FB pages of an official or unofficial nature and it can be like a Lynchmob.

Some right tossers on the Facebook pages.

Half the poor ****ers think Ribero is the second coming of Ronaldo and Bridges is ****ing Pele the way they carry on.

q-money
24-01-2013, 10:42 PM
I never thought I'd say it but NF.net is probably the most cultured (lol) discussion site on the Internet related to the newy jerks right now. some of the other joints deadset make your head spin

parksey
24-01-2013, 10:44 PM
yh git farkd m8

belchardo
24-01-2013, 10:45 PM
I never thought I'd say it but NF.net is probably the most cultured (lol) discussion site on the Internet related to the newy jerks right now. some of the other joints deadset make your head spin

you've become inured to our general shitness.

it's like comparing a runny turd to a solid turd.

MFKS
24-01-2013, 10:45 PM

Once you get past some of the sarcasm from some of the posters we do have more than our fair share of wisdom to spread

WolfMan
24-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Agree RE: the sentiments for Jobe. Bloke completely turned my opinion of him around a few seasons ago. Quality player who never shirks his responsibilities.

When I said we will keep 1 of either Zad or Jobe, I didn't mean to imply I would prefer Zad. Actually, I would love both.

I think both of them deserve a pay rise, and as such we probably can't/haven't budgeted to keep both.

seldom
24-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Once you get past some of the sarcasm from some of the posters we do have more than our fair share of wisdom to spread

yeah the chemistry lessons are ace

Newieutd
24-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Brillante is light years ahead of Jobe - Zads can break legs and Brillante is better at football - so Jobe can go

parksey
24-01-2013, 11:14 PM
^^ check out this guy ^^

militiamon
25-01-2013, 12:06 AM

True dat. I thought these people stopped attending games back in 2008. Utterly stupid.

He is a game changer with the way he can boss the centre of the park. Losing him was part of the reason why we went into that slump imo.

hawk
25-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Zads can break legs and Brillante is better at football

negative. brill is way the learner

GazFish35
25-01-2013, 07:32 AM
http://www.bagtheweb.com/b/5ffSd9

All you have to do is LIKE me
Bradford City fan asks people to LIKE him on Facebook, so his wife will "let" him go to FA Cup semi-final.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/bradford-fan-david-bowers-just-7...

CCM the mouse that keeps roaring
Gatty points out that Arnie makes an art form out of flying under the radar.
A big club would never suit him.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/softly-softly-suits-graham-arn...

Central Coast Underdogs
Zzzzz. Really Arnie, you really need to give Central Coast a new narrative.
Good yarn from Dom Bossi.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/hard-sell-arnold-committed-to-mariners-d...

Fitzgerald home
Nick Fitzgerald happy to be home but left wondering where did it all go wrong.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/mixed-emotions-for-fitzgerald-on-homecom...

Adelaide
Kossie says Adelaide only have themselves to blame for where they are. 2nd.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/adelaide-feeling-aleague-pinch-...

It's just a game
Contrary to what Bozza said earlier in the week, this week's game is not a season-defining moment says Arnie.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/central-coast-mariners-coach-...

Boogaard back for Adelaide
Kossie's happy.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/kosmina-back-to-defensive-fut...

Jobe has point to prove
Dura says Jobe will want to prove a point with what's going on re contract negotiations - a similar situation to what he endured in 2008.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1257401/wary-durante-says-jobe-has-point-to...

Ange's column
A reflective and interesting contribution.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/your-way-is-the-best-way-20130124-2d9ps...

"Milligans Island"?
(I'm guessing the regular subbie is on holidays.)
Michael Lynch says Mark Milligan would well be the short-priced favourite to be the most influential man at AAMI Park on Saturday night.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/arena-set-to-become-milligans-island-201...

Milligan's Island 2
Same story, slightly different emphasis
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/milligan-rises-to-the-big-occasion-2013...

Del Piero? He's nothing without the others
Mark Milligan upping the ante.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/alessandro-del-piero-nothing-w...

Grant and Griffiths in doubt
Out will come the chorus, tweets & e-mails criticising Farina and Crea ....
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/joel-griffiths-rhyan-grant-in...

More on Grant and Griffiths
Griffiths will know whether he's right; Grant confident he is.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/sydney-left-to-sweat-over-griffiths-and-...

Sydney attack minded
Despite defensive frailties, Farina intends being attack minded.
Plus mention of Cernak's transfer to Wellington (hope he has an economics degree).
And ADP flight arrival details - QF445.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/sydney-fc-coach-frank-farina-...

Another signing for Sydney?
A striker or a defender.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/farina-eyes-another-sydney-fc-s...

Ins and Outs
Celeski back, Griffiths & Grant doubtful (again)
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/celeski-back-for-victory-20130124-2d9pm...

Hey someone!
How about some tickets for the women's teams?!
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/gallery/sydney-fc-v-melbourne-victory-...

Playing away is good
Alen Stajcic thinks playing away is a plus for the Sydney FC women.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/sydney-fc-confidence-sky-high...

Yellow Fever
Yellow Fever on Gareth Morgan.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/8220856/Fans-bite-back-at-Morgan-barb

Gareth Morgan
Gareth Morgan on Gareth Morgan.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/phoenix/8219594/Morgan-hits-back-a...

Gareth Morgan in his own words
"... enhancing the performance capability analysis ..."
http://garethsworld.com/blog/wellington-phoenix/the-latest-on-the-phoenix/

Well at least we know who his dad is
Corey Brown to start for Brisbane Roar. But look at that hair!
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/brisbane-roar-give-youngster-...

Ono
Wanderers open contract talks with Ono.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/wanderers-open-ono-aleague-cont...

Working in football or sports media?
Then please do take part in FMA's online survey on facilities/venues & related matters.
http://www.footballmedia.org.au/

"A ball, a ball boy, a player & a red card"
Red card, no doubt. You can't kick a ball boy.
But WHAT was the ball boy doing lying over the ball?!
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/english-premier-league-player...

Jetmaster
25-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Another signing for Sydney ?? Add to that they are thinking of bringing Nicky Carle back as well next season and you have to ask the question - how ????

Take out the two marquees, but Culina, Griff and Carle do not fit into the salary cap even if you surround them with shit !

MFKS
25-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Another signing for Sydney ?? Add to that they are thinking of bringing Nicky Carle back as well next season and you have to ask the question - how ????

Take out the two marquees, but Culina, Griff and Carle do not fit into the salary cap even if you surround them with shit !

They do if you are rorting the salary cap.

Wouldn't be the first time Sydney have rorted it

The Dunster
25-01-2013, 01:09 PM

There are not too many in the league let alone at the Jets with the passing range that Jobe has. Add to that his physicality, leadership, and work rate and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone better who wasn't on a lot more money.

GVE should kill himself if he doesn't retain Jobe.

snake
25-01-2013, 01:27 PM

this.

jobe - the beating heart of newy :wub:

Bluebeard
25-01-2013, 07:41 PM
There are not too many in the league let alone at the Jets with the passing range that Jobe has. Add to that his physicality, leadership, and work rate and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone better who wasn't on a lot more money.

I agree

Newieutd
25-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Jobe is good dont get me wrong - but unless we get him at a heavy discount im happy with Brillante and Zad

Raw Boned Youngster
25-01-2013, 08:50 PM
A bit unfair for a guy who is at the peak of his career to take a heavy payout. he also seems to tick most of the boxes that HSG set out as their vision for the club. Sounds like Egghead has an issue somewhere with him.

hawk
25-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Just cant sack everyone because they're on a decent dollar. We'll end up with at team of honkmans

stopper2
25-01-2013, 10:52 PM

What, kill himself to sign a player who gets injured every year and who has just passed 100 games in 8 seasons!!!
I don't blame the club for not rushing in to re-sign Jobe, decent footballer but lets face it if an employee is getting sick/injured every year, you're just not getting your value for money out of them.....that's the cold,hard facts!

25-01-2013, 11:26 PM
^ Using that analogy i reckon most employers who had an employee under contract looking for another job and " perhaps " telling his courters he was free too look and eventually nick off whilst still under contract would have has his file never to be re employed.

seldom
25-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Just cant sack everyone because they're on a decent dollar. We'll end up with at team of honkmans

yeah but with that coin we could sponsor a couple more kids...think of the kids

GazFish35
26-01-2013, 07:39 AM
From Bonita mersiades
http://www.bagtheweb.com/b/nr4Bj6

Must read: The Jung and the Restless
Great piece from Gabriele Marcotti on the Jung-reading ADP.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/the-jung--the-restless-20130125-2dcnh.html

Another must read: a tale of two clubs
Michael compellingly sets out what the rest of seem to know as being Sydney FC problems - except for Sydney FC. Let's hope they're reading.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-needs-new-chapter-in-tale-of-woe...

It's all happening in Melbourne
Captain Phillip et al might have sailed into Sydney Harbour, but it's all happening in Melbourne this weekend.
http://www.motherpedia.com.au/article/66244/its-all-happening-in-Melbourne

Interview with ADP
Davutovic interview with a sweet ADP who:
* endorses Farina as coach
* estimates he signs 1,000 autographs a day (?)
* suggests he's going to stay another season on the "tired, but competent, legs" (quoting Davutovic, not ADP)
* is always being called from people overseas asking about the A-League
* explains the difference between Turin and Sydney (besides 4 million people).
With lots of photos.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/exclusive-interview-with-ital...

ADP keen for Joel to start
ADP is praying that Joel Griffiths can start tonight.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/del-piero-puts-faith-in-griffiths-to-sta...

Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC
Ange feeling a little bit toey.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/big-blue-a-melting-pot-for-dra...

Farina plays waiting game on Griffiths and Grant.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/farina-plays-waiting-game-on-injured-du...

Broxham to be part of midfield reinforcement for Del Piero.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-victorys-leigh-brox...

We're the main event
Ange says his team is the main event, not the ADP sideshow - or rather the journo says that referring to Ange.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/postecoglou-primes-victory-to-steal-del-...

Bozza's column
Bozza manages to conflate the two Melbourne v Sydney matches, migration and Australia Day.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/two-sydney-melbourne-derbies-...

Farina & Postecoglou
Oh dear. A classic case of not believing everything you read in the papers ...
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/no-love-lost-between-former-b...

W-League Grand Final
Big crowd expected and Sydney FC welcome it!
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/sky-blues-unfazed-by-the-prospect-of-rec...

Ellyse Perry
The young woman missing the W-League Grand Final.
This is behind the paywall in The Weekend Australian magazine.
Doesn't say anything particularly new - but it's interesting and Ellyse is a genuine role model for young girls interested in sport.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/double-or-nothing/story-e6frg8h...

Could the 2 Sydney's do each other a favour?
Er, no.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/sydney-fc-wanderers-rivalry-o...

Heart's bench
Star studded bench for Melbourne Heart to include Grella and Behich.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-hearts-fingers-cros...

Michael Theo
Bozza quoted as saying Theo is lucky not to have been dropped.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-great-mark-bosnich-...

Behich
Aloisi doesn't want to lose Behich.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/turks-eyeing-behich-20130125-2dcai.html

Where did it all go so right?
The Wanderers case study - and good to see John Tsatsimas role acknowledged.
I said at the outset that if anyone could get this club working it would be Gorman and Tsatsimas as it's what they're good at.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/western-sydney-wanderers-what-went-right...

Where did it all go so wrong?
Nine months on ... and battling for survival for Perth Glory & Brisbane Roar.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/struggling-perth-glory-and-br...

Duke shoots down Adelaide United
Someone's a John Wayne fan with that headline!
Take a look at the photo. Could this man look any more miserable? YOU WON ARNIE. YOUR TEAM IS ON TOP. YOU'RE NOT UNDERDOGS.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/mariners-mitchell-duke-shoots-...

Super sub
Match report on CCM v Adelaide United.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/super-sub-lifts-mitchell-duke...

Smelz & Burn in doubt
From mid-morning yesterday, but included in case anyone missed it.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/sport/15953432/smeltz-burns-in-dou...

Caravella pumped
Zenon won't start but he will be on the bench.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1259537/new-arrival-caravella-primed-for-je...

Let's stop the talking
Not that either Ricki or Dura read the paper, but Dura says let's stop the talking. Just come to the game!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/8225884/Enough-of-the-talking-says...

Not friends across the ditch?
Woo-hoo. It's Trans-Tasman "warfare" says GVE.
And while you're there, please settle the Battle of Who Invented the Pavlova.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1259580/kiwis-expected-to-defend-national-p...

Kim Williams
Missed this yesterday in the AFR but worth a read on the boss of News Limited in Australia.
http://www.afr.com/p/national/media_fighter_faces_news_corp_main_nh8zGHoOqMJN...

Rini Coolen
Val talks to Rini to get his side of the story.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/rini-coolen-tells-his-side-of...

The Dunster
26-01-2013, 09:32 AM
What, kill himself to sign a player who gets injured every year and who has just passed 100 games in 8 seasons!!!
I don't blame the club for not rushing in to re-sign Jobe, decent footballer but lets face it if an employee is getting sick/injured every year, you're just not getting your value for money out of them.....that's the cold,hard facts!

Jobe off the field and injured is still more effective than a lot of the shit GVE has given us over the years. I mean Haakanson, Hoffman.... - seriously ?

Pico
26-01-2013, 02:52 PM
you're just not getting your value for money out of them.....that's the cold,hard facts!

:roflz:

yeah jobe needs to start pulling his weight justifying his wage like Ribeiro, Bridges, Patafta, Costanzo, de Groot & Ontong all did.

Honestly I'd love to see the sums of what our salary cap use was, compared to the actual contribution past round 6, we'd get better value for money by just randomly picking half of GVE signings and not signing them at all, at least we'd save some coin.

Grimario
26-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Calling Ontong out in that list is a bit unfair... didn't he start his first game for us then tear his achilles 15 minutes or something?

snake
26-01-2013, 06:09 PM
plus, he was shit

halo se7en
26-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Name one club in the world that hasn't signed any duds…

My2BobsWorth
26-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Liverpool:whistling:

GazFish35
26-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Nth qld

MFKS
26-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Melbourne Victory have launched a bid to lure English giants Liverpool to Australia for an exhibition match this year.

Victory, who previously hosted Greek champions Olympiakos and David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy, would most likely entertain Liverpool in July.

Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro said Liverpool sales director Olly Dale had attended the club's blockbuster clash with Sydney FC on Saturday as part of an evaluation of the region.

"We have come together and hopefully we can construct a major deal for something very special to take place this year," he said.

Di Pietro said Liverpool were not in the country to scout players, as had been previously reported.

Lou Sticca, the sports management consultant who negotiated to bring Galaxy to Melbourne, is believed to be involved in the discussions with Liverpool.

Liverpool announced in July that they planned to visit nearby Indonesia in 2013 as part of a sponsorship agreement with airline Garuda Indonesia.

"Indonesia is an ambitious country with a rapidly growing economy which the club has great affiliation with and where we hope to hold next year's pre-season tour," managing director Ian Ayre said at the time.

Adding to speculation, Liverpool this week launched a dedicated Twitter channel for supporters in Australia and New Zealand.

"The Reds have always enjoyed a massive following in Australia and New Zealand," the club said on their website.

"In terms of supporters, Liverpool has more international members from Australia and New Zealand than from any other country in the world."

A match between Melbourne Victory and Liverpool would rival a fixture between an A-League All-Stars side and Manchester United at Sydney's ANZ Stadium on July 20.

The Victorian government, who reportedly baulked at the $3 million asking price for Manchester United to come to town, would likely provide funding for the Liverpool bid.
Wish they would bring out decent ****ing teams

Tommyjet
26-01-2013, 08:21 PM
I want arsenal!!!! Get it done tinks. Yeah right

GazFish35
26-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Wenger would never do it.
AND
Board wouldn't allow it.

Poshpom
26-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Wish they would bring out decent ****ing teams

Sorry member, stupid comment.

Bringing out any team with the fanbase and image of a Liverpool, a Man Utd, an Arsenal, a Chelsea or an LA Galaxy has to be good for the promotion of the game out here.

I wonder how much the Galaxy visit pumped into the local coffers and how many of those fans who came to see Beckham have been to more recent games?

baldrick
26-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Wenger would never do it.
AND
Board wouldn't allow it.

Aren't Arsenal playing pre-season games in Asia before the next EPL season ?

They're already 3/4 the way here.

GazFish35
27-01-2013, 07:21 AM
They are.
No financial benefit coming here though.
Market isn't big enough.

Club s all about coin, not fans

Pico
27-01-2013, 09:24 AM
FFA in negotiations to bring EPL giants Liverpool to Sydney

Phil Rothfield
The Sunday Telegraph
January 26, 2013 6:38PM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/01/26/1226562/510784-luis-suarez.jpg
Luis Suarez of Liverpool celebrates scoring his team's second goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Liverpool and Norwich City at Anfield on January 19. Source: Getty Images

ENGLISH soccer giants Liverpool could be following Manchester United to Australia in July.

Soccer boss David Gallop has been in secret talks with Liverpool officials for several weeks.

Club representatives are in Australia this weekend and attended Saturday night's Sydney FC-Melbourne Victory game.

The Liverpool game would be played on the Wednesday night or weekend after an A-League all-stars team meet Manchester United at ANZ Stadium on Saturday, July 20.

Tickets for the Red Devils game sold out within two days. FFA officials are expecting the same response for tickets to see Liverpool, one of the world's most famous sporting clubs.

Steven Gerrard and Uruguayan champion Luis Suarez are their biggest names. They also have a strong Aussie connection through Newcastle's Craig Johnston and more recently Socceroo Harry Kewell and current back-up goalkeeper Brad Jones.

Like the Manchester United game, Liverpool would generate more $10 million from gate takings, corporate sales and merchandising and would give soccer another massive boost in this country.

Commercial free-to-air television networks have all expressed interest in the games. At this stage, ANZ Stadium is favoured to get both Manchester United and Liverpool, but Melbourne will bid for Liverpool.

A decision on a venue is expected by next weekend.

ANZ has a massive year in sport, including two Origin games, a Bledisloe Cup, the British and Irish Lions, Manchester United, two World Cup soccer qualifiers and the NRL finals.

If this goes to ANZ, the rage from melbourne will become unbearable, should be coming to play against newy with Johnston Guest of Honour at the game.

hawk
27-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Liverpool giants? have they read the paper in the last 3 years.

weston
27-01-2013, 12:49 PM
If liverpool does come to australia... play it in brisbane or melbourne (realisetically).... Preferably Mackay or Townsville for my own liking but would never happen. Sydney got Man Utd coming, spread the games out against the big teams not just one city.

MFKS
27-01-2013, 12:53 PM

Bringing out any team with the fanbase and image of a Liverpool, a Man Utd, an Arsenal, a Chelsea or an LA Galaxy has to be good for the promotion of the game out here.

I wonder how much the Galaxy visit pumped into the local coffers and how many of those fans who came to see Beckham have been to more recent games?

For a start I wouldn't call bringing out a team with a large supporter base of Plastic Euro fans a great idea. Once again the Australian public is short changed with a team treating it as a pre season kick about as fans pay top dollar to watch what is basically a warm up activity. Biggest problem with this is all we are appealing to is the plastic fans out there who spend most of their time snubbing the local game as not good enough. Why do we need to bend over backward to accommodate these people?? All they do is shit on the local game.

FFA should be spending time and resources on the existing football supporters first and foremost. How about actually organising some top class opponents in this country for the Socceroos?? How about a game V Spain V Brasil V Argentina v Germany etc ie the top echelon of opponents rather than the shite they usually serve up??? How about also organising it so they also turn up with their stars and not a bunch of fill ins as the big names take a holiday and miss it with some minor alleged injury.

Who wants to watch some plastic Euro team out here on a pre season match?? I sure as hell don't

Blackmac79
27-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Game Before LA Game: 7,730

LA Game: 23,317

Game After LA Game:8,046

So a total of 316 people were bought in after the game.

Great promotion...

plague
27-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Game Before LA Game: 7,730

LA Game: 23,317

Game After LA Game:8,046

So a total of 316 people were bought in after the game.

Great promotion...

That sir, is some brilliant detective work.

Raw Boned Youngster
27-01-2013, 01:32 PM
How was the weather when then extra 316 fronted?

GazFish35
27-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Liverpool game would turn a profit.
FFA should be doing this instead of letting others profit.

Pico
27-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Liverpool game would turn a profit.
FFA should be doing this instead of letting others profit.

Would be happy for them to do it but the clubs deserve the money. Something like using the money raised during the all stars games to provide prize money for the premiers and champions would be a nice change, wont happen I know.

Lets not forget that its the clubs signing theses players and ultimately if they get injured it won't be the FFA carrying the can it will be the clubs.

furns
27-01-2013, 10:35 PM
For a start I wouldn't call bringing out a team with a large supporter base of Plastic Euro fans a great idea. Once again the Australian public is short changed with a team treating it as a pre season kick about as fans pay top dollar to watch what is basically a warm up activity. Biggest problem with this is all we are appealing to is the plastic fans out there who spend most of their time snubbing the local game as not good enough. Why do we need to bend over backward to accommodate these people?? All they do is shit on the local game.

FFA should be spending time and resources on the existing football supporters first and foremost. How about actually organising some top class opponents in this country for the Socceroos?? How about a game V Spain V Brasil V Argentina v Germany etc ie the top echelon of opponents rather than the shite they usually serve up??? How about also organising it so they also turn up with their stars and not a bunch of fill ins as the big names take a holiday and miss it with some minor alleged injury.

Who wants to watch some plastic Euro team out here on a pre season match?? I sure as hell don't

This Liverpool supporter (who has been one for 20 plus years) sure as hell does, and many many fellow LFC supporters he knows here in Aus (and NZ) also support the A-League.
So, you really have no clue what you are on about.

seldom
27-01-2013, 10:41 PM
This Liverpool supporter (who has been one for 20 plus years) sure as hell does, and many many fellow LFC supporters he knows here in Aus (and NZ) also support the A-League.
So, you really have no clue what you are on about.

agree...I'm a plastic Liv supporter and I can't wait !

RedMexican
27-01-2013, 10:50 PM
agree...I'm a plastic Liv supporter and I can't wait !

we must all be plastic, does kincumber south want a team like qpr that are on the brink of relegation brought out, they would definately pack out ANZ

pistolpete
28-01-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm pretty damn excited at the prospect of seeing them even if it is only a pre season friendly. With family commitments I can't imagine i will be able to afford the trip over for a while so this is probably my only chance to see the likes of Gerrard before he retires

De-Champ
28-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Any team that comes out would be good for Australian football, provided they play an A League team. I am not a fan of teams comiong out and playing against "all star" teams.

sammydog
28-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Any team that comes out would be good for Australian football, provided they play an A League team. I am not a fan of teams comiong out and playing against "all star" teams.

Completely agree. Won't go watch an All-Star team, but if its an A-league club I will be there.

Jetmaster
28-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Agree...most of these games are against A-League clubs now. The only danger is that MV and SFC will hog the big names to themselves.

sammydog
28-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Agree...most of these games are against A-League clubs now. The only danger is that MV and SFC will hog the big names to themselves.

Thats bound to happen due to stadium size. Bigger the ground the more financially viable the game would be.

RedMexican
28-01-2013, 10:11 AM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Kosmina-quits-Adelaide-United/59348
Kosmina is gonne from adelaide

Blackmac79
28-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Would actually not mind Kosmina at the Jets.

However would like to have a crack at Nigel Adkins first.

WolfMan
28-01-2013, 10:30 AM

Straight talking, smart blokes. Would gladly have either, but can't see it happening

lquiquer
28-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Miron's opportunity

Jetmaster
28-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Would bring out the best in our squad and have them playing better football....but with his history in Newy could he work with Middleby and HSG, I doubt it.

But interesting this comes out after Fox do a poll on whether he should stay, then Adelaide saying his position is safe and then yesterday Coolen coming out and saying he was undermined by Kossie.

What did Aurelio say again ?

28-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Would be refreshing to have a Manager who calls it how it is rather than the double dutch tripe we get now.

militiamon
28-01-2013, 11:27 AM
lol, called this shit back when he first signed for them. He is a visionless coach who can whip a team together and get some quick results, but ultimately the weakness of his teams are exposed. The sacking was going to come sooner or later, for Adelaide's sake it's lucky that it happened so quickly.

It's happened three times now in just the A-League, yet still some morons think he would be a good coach for us.

28-01-2013, 12:14 PM
^ Great points you make there. Nothing worse than bringing back for another crack an average coach !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

hawk
28-01-2013, 01:08 PM

:banghead:
Dont you remember Kozzy's stint of shame here last time. and he's no better
1995/96

Marconi-Fairfield 33 17 9 7 58 35 60
Melbourne Knights 33 17 8 8 50 28 59
UTS Olympic 33 17 8 8 55 41 59
Brisbane Strikers 33 17 6 10 54 35 57
Adelaide City 33 15 9 9 65 40 54
Sydney United 33 14 12 7 47 33 54
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
West Adelaide 33 16 5 12 49 43 53
South Melbourne 33 14 4 15 50 56 46
Canberra Cosmos 33 8 11 14 48 61 35
Morwell Falcons 33 9 8 16 35 65 35
Wollongong City 33 5 5 23 31 63 20
Newcastle Breakers 33 4 5 24 35 77 17

1996/97

Sydney United Pumas 26 17 5 4 67 33 56
Brisbane Strikers 26 15 2 9 55 40 47
South Melbourne Lakers 26 14 4 8 39 25 46
Adelaide City Zebras 26 11 10 5 32 22 43
Marconi-F'fld Stallions 26 12 4 10 41 37 40
Melbourne Knights 26 11 6 9 36 32 39
Perth Glory 26 11 5 10 48 41 38
West Adelaide Sharks 26 10 3 13 39 51 33
UTS Olympic 26 8 8 10 41 46 32
Wollongong City Wolves 26 8 8 10 42 48 32
Newcastle Breakers 26 7 9 10 40 46 30
Gippsland Falcons 26 8 6 12 33 41 30
Collingwood Warriors 26 6 9 11 32 44 27
Canberra Cosmos 26 2 5 19 30 69 11

1997/98

South Melbourne Lakers 26 13 9 4 56 41 48
Carlton 26 12 9 5 44 24 45
Adelaide City Zebras 26 13 4 9 45 30 43
Sydney United Pumas 26 11 10 5 37 26 43
Marconi-F'fld Stallions 26 12 7 7 33 25 43
Wollongong City Wolves 26 13 3 10 51 33 42
Melbourne Knights 26 11 6 9 37 35 39
Perth Glory 26 10 6 10 35 40 36
UTS Olympic 26 10 5 11 37 43 35
West Adelaide Sharks 26 10 4 12 32 38 34
Gippsland Falcons 26 8 7 11 28 36 31
Brisbane Strikers 26 6 5 15 23 40 23
Newcastle Breakers 26 4 9 13 30 50 21
Canberra Cosmos 26 3 8 15 29 56 17
(rsssf)

following year finish 8th with Sterrey

sammydog
28-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Id rather stick with GVE than go for Kosmina.

stopper2
28-01-2013, 01:26 PM
lol, called this shit back when he first signed for them. He is a visionless coach who can whip a team together and get some quick results, but ultimately the weakness of his teams are exposed. The sacking was going to come sooner or later, for Adelaide's sake it's lucky that it happened so quickly.

It's happened three times now in just the A-League, yet still some morons think he would be a good coach for us.

Kosmina is like Farina from the old school of coaching where they use rhetoric like "We got to work hard or we have to fight". Yes you need those qualities but I would rather here coaches talk about playing smarter and being more tactical aware in order to win matches. A smart, tactically aware team which can adapt will nearly always beat a team of "fighters"!

Blackmac79
28-01-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't want GVE to go. was just trying to make a segway to nigel adkins...

Grimario
28-01-2013, 04:01 PM
pv4 will be devastated.

Grella retiring after tearing his calf muscle on the weekend.

MFKS
28-01-2013, 04:10 PM

It's happened three times now in just the A-League, yet still some morons think he would be a good coach for us.\

Well said. Same for the idiots who think Merrick would be a good coach for us. Absolute hack

MFKS
28-01-2013, 04:15 PM
we must all be plastic, does kincumber south want a team like qpr that are on the brink of relegation brought out, they would definately pack out ANZ

None of them. These pre season friendlies are nothing but a rort to rip money out of people. Want the real experience jump on a plane and go to Anfield or whereever else takes your fancy in the EPL. Watching blokes on a pre/post season holiday. Spare me the details and wake me up when the HAL starts.

Would rather go watch local hacks play Zone League than this shite.

For the plastic Scousers in this country it would be a dream to see their rabble of shite up close. For the rest of the Australian Football community. Who ****ing CARES??

Buddha
28-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Such a shame to see Vinnie's last few years ruined by injury, probably one of our best in 2006 Germany, but you always had this feeling it was a matter of time before he finally broke.

A fully fit Vincenzo would easily be one of best DMs around, but that was a rare case

Blackmac79
28-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I like the member.

My2BobsWorth
28-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Getting a bit personal there Blackmac

Blackmac79
28-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Just thought I would put that out in the world.

northern_swan
28-01-2013, 09:12 PM
:banghead:
Dont you remember Kozzy's stint of shame here last time. and he's no better
1995/96

Marconi-Fairfield 33 17 9 7 58 35 60
Melbourne Knights 33 17 8 8 50 28 59
UTS Olympic 33 17 8 8 55 41 59
Brisbane Strikers 33 17 6 10 54 35 57
Adelaide City 33 15 9 9 65 40 54
Sydney United 33 14 12 7 47 33 54
West Adelaide 33 16 5 12 49 43 53
South Melbourne 33 14 4 15 50 56 46
Canberra Cosmos 33 8 11 14 48 61 35
Morwell Falcons 33 9 8 16 35 65 35
Wollongong City 33 5 5 23 31 63 20
Newcastle Breakers 33 4 5 24 35 77 17

1996/97

Sydney United Pumas 26 17 5 4 67 33 56
Brisbane Strikers 26 15 2 9 55 40 47
South Melbourne Lakers 26 14 4 8 39 25 46
Adelaide City Zebras 26 11 10 5 32 22 43
Marconi-F'fld Stallions 26 12 4 10 41 37 40
Melbourne Knights 26 11 6 9 36 32 39
Perth Glory 26 11 5 10 48 41 38
West Adelaide Sharks 26 10 3 13 39 51 33
UTS Olympic 26 8 8 10 41 46 32
Wollongong City Wolves 26 8 8 10 42 48 32
Newcastle Breakers 26 7 9 10 40 46 30
Gippsland Falcons 26 8 6 12 33 41 30
Collingwood Warriors 26 6 9 11 32 44 27
Canberra Cosmos 26 2 5 19 30 69 11

1997/98

South Melbourne Lakers 26 13 9 4 56 41 48
Carlton 26 12 9 5 44 24 45
Adelaide City Zebras 26 13 4 9 45 30 43
Sydney United Pumas 26 11 10 5 37 26 43
Marconi-F'fld Stallions 26 12 7 7 33 25 43
Wollongong City Wolves 26 13 3 10 51 33 42
Melbourne Knights 26 11 6 9 37 35 39
Perth Glory 26 10 6 10 35 40 36
UTS Olympic 26 10 5 11 37 43 35
West Adelaide Sharks 26 10 4 12 32 38 34
Gippsland Falcons 26 8 7 11 28 36 31
Brisbane Strikers 26 6 5 15 23 40 23
Newcastle Breakers 26 4 9 13 30 50 21
Canberra Cosmos 26 3 8 15 29 56 17
(rsssf)

following year finish 8th with Sterrey

Comparing Kosminas tenure in charge of the Breakers with Van Egmond's tenure with the Jets is laughable. At the time Kosmina was in charge, the Breakers were part timers, and had a ridiculously low wage budget in comparison with a team that is able to splash $700k on the likes of Heskey.

For Kosmina to be competitive at that time he had to be a magician, not a manager. Sterrey managed to do better, only because of his ability to get the likes of Bob Catlin and John Bonovoglia into the squad. Lets not forget though, that Sterrey also managed to bankrupt the team by promising money for a pre season tournament that the club didn't have, and he did not have authority to spend. Ask Mr Celery about that situation though...

GazFish35
28-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Sterrey never win the 500 club though.

howardyou
29-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Oooh Buonavoglia!

hawk
29-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Comparing Kosminas tenure in charge of the Breakers with Van Egmond's tenure with the Jets is laughable. At the time Kosmina was in charge, the Breakers were part timers, and had a ridiculously low wage budget in comparison with a team that is able to splash $700k on the likes of Heskey.

For Kosmina to be competitive at that time he had to be a magician, not a manager. Sterrey managed to do better, only because of his ability to get the likes of Bob Catlin and John Bonovoglia into the squad. Lets not forget though, that Sterrey also managed to bankrupt the team by promising money for a pre season tournament that the club didn't have, and he did not have authority to spend. Ask Mr Celery about that situation though...

why all the lame excuses? wheres the comparison with gve? :sigh: It's a clear example his managing style is ineffective and a stupid idea.

Grimario
29-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Behich is off to Turkey.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1138673/Behich-signs-for-Bursaspor

cheflyf
29-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Been told rubens resigning, jobes off too heart. Should be anounced next week