PDA

View Full Version : Local Forum pre-season fitness dicussion

EH9
21-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Clubs still pound the pavement and do King Edward sessions!?!?!?!? Oh dear.

immersion
22-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Clubs still pound the pavement and do King Edward sessions!?!?!?!? Oh dear.

Spot on with your idea here. Newcastle football people (coaches, admin, NNSW etc) trying to produce better athletes as opposed to better footballers, since the dawn of time. How embarrassing. I am glad i never played football in this country as times.

MFKS
22-01-2013, 12:24 PM
OLympic with their physical Hoof ball style probably need that to prepare correctly for the season.

Seriously what do you expect. Amateur teams at this level ain't in the business of developing Harry Kewell's etc. Basic job for them is to win State League games by whatever means necessary. Easy way to do that is run hard tackle hard kick hard and stay organised.

Best thing that will happen to the State League will be the Jets Yoof dominating and winning the comp. May make a few of the clubs wake up and smell the coffee and devote a bit more effort to changing their ways.

boz-monaut
22-01-2013, 12:25 PM
speaking of fitness training - here's some literature from the FFA curriculum

http://www.footballfedvic.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Coaching/Resources/2011_Conference/Football_Cond_Presentation_2011_conference_version .pdf

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/site/_content/document/00000099-source.pdf

Big Al
22-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Players should take responsibility and be out pounding the pavement & hitting the gym during the off-season (Oct/Nov/Dec) and turn up fit to train come pre-season. That would allow the coaches to put more time into skills, tactics and match specific training during the pre-season instead of having to whip 3 months of booze out of people in 4-6weeks. Second to that teams at the top level should be training 3x a week + a recovery session but that is a whole nother story.

seldom
22-01-2013, 01:32 PM
OLympic with their physical Hoof ball style probably need that to prepare correctly for the season.

Seriously what do you expect. Amateur teams at this level ain't in the business of developing Harry Kewell's etc. Basic job for them is to win State League games by whatever means necessary. Easy way to do that is run hard tackle hard kick hard and stay organised.

Best thing that will happen to the State League will be the Jets Yoof dominating and winning the comp. May make a few of the clubs wake up and smell the coffee and devote a bit more effort to changing their ways.

All state league clubs cram a bit of fitness work in early on especially before the trials start...as the season rolls on work is done with ball at feet.FFA guidelines sound great but even though most 1st graders get some payment it really is a amateur comp.They don't play and train all year round so you need to get some fitness in early on cause there's always a few who do very little in the off season.
As for yoof winning the comp,so they should...really should be playing in the sydney comp next year if you want to test them

namwob99
22-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Oh that's right. A-league teams don't fitness work. Ya never see the jets at blackbutt!!

Disinterested Bystander
22-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Players should take responsibility and be out pounding the pavement & hitting the gym during the off-season (Oct/Nov/Dec) and turn up fit to train come pre-season. That would allow the coaches to put more time into skills, tactics and match specific training during the pre-season instead of having to whip 3 months of booze out of people in 4-6weeks. Second to that teams at the top level should be training 3x a week + a recovery session but that is a whole nother story.

Isn't that the Jets, not the pub league big fish in a little pond State League?

boz-monaut
22-01-2013, 02:49 PM
is it worth splitting a lot of these posts into a pre-season fitness thread?

goaliepersempre
22-01-2013, 02:51 PM
The Foz guide to Preseason Fitness.. Yeah split it... :)

seldom
22-01-2013, 03:23 PM
The Foz guide to Preseason Fitness.. Yeah split it... :)

what would a GK know bout fitness lol

ForeverRed
22-01-2013, 03:53 PM

I can assure you that most NBN teams do have an interest in developing players to play at a higher level, your "harry kewels" you talk about dont come along everyday so its bit harsh comparing players from the NBN league to him, most coaches in the NBN league are quite good at what they do and with a little help from NNSWF they may get an opportunity to coach the jets youth, please tell me of Clayton Zane's success as a coach, zero no doubt, jobs for the boys I'd say. Your comment in regards to clubs "waking up and smelling the coffee" is way of the mark, why do they need to change their ways, most NBN clubs play attractive football for this competition, as for the jets youth dominating, what I have seen and heard they will be called Sydney Jets Youth this season, theres your first problem.Your comments reek of ignorance to local football and I suggest you do more research before labeling State League clubs of not setting a standard as I can assure you the effort put in by most clubs ridicule your comments

Buddha
22-01-2013, 04:21 PM
im not a fan of the whole 'running laps" for preseason, first thing youd wanna do is get the feel for the ball again right? so why not start with the basics aka passing, shooting dribbling etc?

Big Al
22-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Football training time is limited so should be spent on football skills as much as possible, hence turning up fit to train. If you need it you can go for a run on your own time if you need it.
In my experience the guys who turn up early for pre-season are usually the ones who don't need to be running laps anyway.

Oh and Goalies are the fitness gurus.

Thomas477
22-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Oh and Goalies are the fitness gurus.

Amen brother. It's tough to stand up and not do anything for 90mins :gent:

On the topic, my club started training in December with ball skills, doubt we'll actually do any running laps for another month or two, if at all. We generally just play a game and get fit that way.

goaliepersempre
23-01-2013, 07:27 AM
haha oh so funny guys, you can come to a keeper fitness session if you like :P

Shouldnt you be happy that I want this to be proactive.. Keeper should be just as fit as field players. I know some have alot of work to do....

Tips and Tricks and Guide away....

Big Al
23-01-2013, 08:18 AM
The Goalie should be the fittest player out there. Requires strength, power, speed, agility, flexibility, reflex & the ability to concentrate for 90min even if there is nothing to do to come up with the the big save in the 90th minute. You can hide on the field if you are lacking in some areas, not in goals.

leftrightout
23-01-2013, 08:38 AM
The Goalie should be the fittest player out there. Requires strength, power, speed, agility, flexibility, reflex & the ability to concentrate for 90min even if there is nothing to do to come up with the the big save in the 90th minute. You can hide on the field if you are lacking in some areas, not in goals.

Hahahaha i nearly made it, reading that post all the way through, without laughing.
But you got me... Good one! hahahahaha

immersion
23-01-2013, 10:01 AM
The problem is with the NBN state league is that it is a small talent population to draw talent from. Therefore the range of talent to pick from isnt huge. Australia doesnt have a huge population anyways especially with a lot of competing sporting codes, which makes it worse for football.

Now with small a talent pool and a small amount of time to work with your players coaches have realised that the best end result for their time is to based their sessions around conditioning, opposed to technical & tactical based training.

I understand why they do this as probably is the best and most productive use of their time. But are people aware you can get in very good condition with a football? amazing to think isnt it.

Why is it when my son does his pre-season for a couple of weeks he is stuffed 15min into his first couple of matches? He is in good condition. Because the training is not specific to the game he plays. I mean how ridiculous is it for coaches to realise that they should be trying to develop footballers first and athletes second?

Now i am not having a shot at the coaches here in the state league they do a great job, considering they have full time jobs and families. But what the hell is NNSW Football doing? They should be having high qualified coaches critiquing the coaching sessions of state league teams. Not to hammer them but to offer constructive advice.

NNSW Football should be doing something more proactive then what are doing to change the beliefs and methodologies of football in this area.

EH9
23-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Now i am not having a shot at the coaches here in the state league they do a great job, considering they have full time jobs and families. But what the hell is NNSW Football doing? They should be having high qualified coaches critiquing the coaching sessions of state league teams. Not to hammer them but to offer constructive advice.

NNSW Football should be doing something more proactive then what are doing to change the beliefs and methodologies of football in this area.

And you have it in a nutshell! I have over the last 2 seasons that teams can be 'fit' for play at this level by basing their sessions on football based fitness. If the coaches had the support of the Federation coaching staff they would be able to learn and implement these strategies. It could also then provide the Federation an opportunity to identify excellent coaches that could be funnelled into higher jobs. But unlikely to happen.

immersion
23-01-2013, 11:07 AM
And you have it in a nutshell! I have over the last 2 seasons that teams can be 'fit' for play at this level by basing their sessions on football based fitness. If the coaches had the support of the Federation coaching staff they would be able to learn and implement these strategies. It could also then provide the Federation an opportunity to identify excellent coaches that could be funnelled into higher jobs. But unlikely to happen.

Exactly. Well Said EH9

My idea on 1 on 1 coaching for the coaches is just an idea. I dont like the idea of group sessions for coaches as coaches have their own style. I am not sure what would work best but i know what they are doing know is crap to put as politely as i can.

I would love to see an audit conducted on the NNSW football federation and see what they spend money on. I know they want this new complex. Which will do greats things for football. But a great footballing surface doesn't make footballers smarter or better technically. If they invested in actual development of knowledge for coaches and players that would improve the standard of football much more IMO.

EH9
23-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Your idea is a great model.

I would suggest that the federation spend $0 on identifying (scouting) talented young players and coaches. Would be a handy thing to do in my opinion.

seldom
23-01-2013, 12:29 PM
you truly believe state league coaches dont know how to get players fit with ball at feet ? Dont underestimate em.wouldnt get a gig if all they did was run their players ffs

cobra23
23-01-2013, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=immersion;25137]Exactly. Well Said EH9

My idea on 1 on 1 coaching for the coaches is just an idea. I dont like the idea of group sessions for coaches as coaches have their own style. I am not sure what would work best but i know what they are doing know is crap to put as politely as i can.

Mate i think you should turn up to a MAGIC session.
everything is short quick drills with the ball at the moment.
and with Robert Virgili, Bobby Noamov and David Jones in charge of a very good squad.
I think you will eat your own words when season kicks off.
I cant wait to see them play..

ForeverRed
23-01-2013, 01:54 PM
One team is seen jogging the streets and all of a sudden it's the whole competition doing it, FFS , Bolchy is in Perth and Phil koina is renowned for his street jogging, who gives a what clubs do for pre season, stupid thread

boz-monaut
23-01-2013, 02:14 PM
the idea of discussing pre-season fitness isn't crap, it's the local forum idiots, notably those who don't have the competence to use quotes correctly or the ability do differentiate between your and you're, who have ruined everything

clean up and bans coming once I get on a proper computer

cobra23
23-01-2013, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=immersion;25159][say what your saying is correct. 1 team on the right path hardly constitutes good practice throughout the state league does it. Sounds like you are a possible magic supporter/player/board member and your opinion may be biased. Which is not a bad thing. If all your drills are short and sharp you will let yourself down in the department of residual strength IMO. Hats off to magic if they are doing the correct approach.

As a matter of fact im edgy supporter, but keep close tabs on magic for the fact of mates and a good game of football played out of there,
that thread i posted previously was clearly refered to your 1 line comment which i bawled out.
I have a very good relationship with the coaches (previously Edgy 10 years ago) which is why i know so much
about them.
So all i am saying dont make remarks about coaches dont knoe crap when clearly there a at least 2 or 3 that do in this comp

immersion
23-01-2013, 02:44 PM
the idea of discussing pre-season fitness isn't crap, it's the local forum idiots, notably those who don't have the competence to use quotes correctly or the ability do differentiate between your and you're, who have ruined everything

clean up and bans coming once I get on a proper computer

Its a forum. not everyone is worried not about their spelling, punctuation and grammer. And not everyone can understand how these forums codes work. I grew up before computers.

nbnjet
23-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Your idea is a great model.

I would suggest that the federation spend $0 on identifying (scouting) talented young players and coaches. Would be a handy thing to do in my opinion.

What exactly will the fed do with these players/coaches once they have scouted them? How do we we offer jobs/contracts to all those people who have shown great ability in our game? Who will pay for these one on one coaching sessions that you advocate? I dont want to see my registration monies paying for the coaching of State League teams when i play in Zone 3 for example? Why should i fund the education of coaches that have nothing to do with me, yet my coach probably needs much more help then those experienced coaches in the State league.

I think the accounts breakdown of the NNSWFF is on their website, but in any case what is it that you feel that they misspending their monies on?

IMO a successful team will be one that has balanced all areas of the training sphere. its not just about fitness or ball work, but also attitude and commitment. Im afraid that if you cannot get your players fit to start the season with they will be lacking in this area for most of the season. No point trying to get fit near the end of the season, and we all know how important it is for a team to be fit.

nbnjet
23-01-2013, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=cobra23;25156]

I havent mentioned anyone really directly apart from NNSW football federation which seem to have a very good relationship with Magic. Maybe that is why you are getting back up for no reason.

Im interested in understanding what you mean by Magic having a very good relationship with the Fed is about. I have see this a couple times on posts and it leads me to some illusion of favouritism. Can you advise? I know they get the grand final but i also know this is based on fulfilling a criteria. Do Magic not pay registration fees or something? I just cant work it out? And why the back up because of this?

Also i dont think it is relevant whether cobra23 is associated with Magic or Edgeworth, or other, to which i cant honestly pick it, but I think we would all agree we want to see better football at every corner of our game.

I have seen Olympic train several times and for anyone who thinks that all they do is run up and down fields and beaches they are greatly mistaken.

I think it would be unfair, judging by the playing styles of many of the State League clubs, to say that Magic would be the one and only minority with correct approach, if indeed their approach is correct. I would like to think that once fit many of our clubs would be plying all their time to skills and technical coaching.

nbnjet
23-01-2013, 09:53 PM
I think you would be hard pressed not to see all the State League teams wearing the soles of their shoes out for at least a month.

boz-monaut
23-01-2013, 10:13 PM
next person to incorrectly quote gets a week off too

if you can't work out how to do it then we can probably do without your opinion - show the rest of us a bit of respect and learn how to quote

pv4
23-01-2013, 10:29 PM
or the ability do differentiate between your and you're, who have ruined everything

slams guys for grammar but uses wrong word

:gent:
:forthelulz:

but seriously guys - quote properly or don't do it at all, hey.

my opinion on the preseason fitness work:
everytime a team says they're not doing running & only do ball-specific cardio training, they always underdo themselves. this is a amateur-semi pro competition, it's hard enough to keep the boys off the booze more than 3 times a week let alone get them to keep their fitness at a premium at their own will.

cobra23
24-01-2013, 08:38 AM
next person to incorrectly quote gets a week off too

if you can't work out how to do it then we can probably do without your opinion - show the rest of us a bit of respect and learn how to quote

Boz, I think you might be refering to my post.
I know how to quote but i had already hit the save botton with what i wanted to say before realizing the mistake.
Sorry mate..

MFKS
24-01-2013, 11:44 AM
I can assure you that most NBN teams do have an interest in developing players to play at a higher level, your "harry kewels" you talk about dont come along everyday so its bit harsh comparing players from the NBN league to him, most coaches in the NBN league are quite good at what they do and with a little help from NNSWF they may get an opportunity to coach the jets youth, please tell me of Clayton Zane's success as a coach, zero no doubt, jobs for the boys I'd say. Your comment in regards to clubs "waking up and smelling the coffee" is way of the mark, why do they need to change their ways, most NBN clubs play attractive football for this competition, as for the jets youth dominating, what I have seen and heard they will be called Sydney Jets Youth this season, theres your first problem.Your comments reek of ignorance to local football and I suggest you do more research before labeling State League clubs of not setting a standard as I can assure you the effort put in by most clubs ridicule your comments

Forever Red if you feel the way NBN Clubs are doing things is the right way then you are suffering from some delusion.

All of them are playing second fiddle to the Magic Club who lets remember only arrived in NBN Level in 1995. Since then they have gone from homeless playing out of a borrowed Adamstown Oval to having their own wonderful facility that shites on all other clubs in the region, have had wonderful on field success and have provided a base for juniors such as Kanta / Hoole/soon to be Kale stepping into the Jets XI.

What have the rest of the clubs been doing in this time frame?? Standing still treading water and going backwards

Nearly every other club has a pile of blokes playing first grade who ain't there for their technical ability. Blokes who are 6ft>> 6ft 6inches tall, 80>90kgs big strong and fast. Basically players with good physical attributes and athletically inclined. Half of these blokes are technically poor but get away masquerading as First Grade players by running hard, tackling hard and physically dominating more technical types. As you go down the grades you will see these type of players gaining advancement and usually at the expense of kids who have some technical ability but ain't that physically gifted. The real technically gifted are fast tracked through the grades but it is these kids the ones who have some of the technical ability
but maybe not the physical gifts that get left behind.

This is the fault of no one other than the coaching departments of clubs. They are the ones who reward physical development over technical skills. Actually it isn't not just there fault it is also the fault of the committees who continue to select the coaches who have deluded old time philosophies and aren't taking a modern approach to this.

To say that most NBN sides play attractive football outside of Magic/ Jets Yoof who else does??? Cause all I seen last season was teams full of hacks chopping in and playing garbage level HOOFball???

Also if the Jets Yoof team are having to supplement players from the Sydney region to fill the squad doesn't that suggest the development programs at NBN Clubs are shit and not producing the talent??

Maybe a reality check for some of these clubs is needed to give them the kick up the arse required to raise their standards

seldom
24-01-2013, 12:09 PM
:blush: you truly do believe you know more about coaching than state league coaches and more about administration than state league committees. It is you who are delusional.
FLOGS OUT !

FaroeMassive
24-01-2013, 01:40 PM
MFKS...to say that Magic is the only club that hasn't stood still in time is to my mind completely disrespectful to the other clubs in the Newcastle region.

Magic have done a fantastic job in building a wonderful facility and are probably the benchmark club on the whole in Newcastle at present, however to completely disregard the other clubs contribution to what is a good Football community shows just how blinkered your view is.

To be honest I think your post shows a complete lack of understanding for where Football in general is at in this country.
Have you seen the Playing and Facility standard in the Sydney Premier League? Newcastle is not so bad let me tell you.

Nationally, Australian Football is way behind in technical/tactical proficiency of players and even further behind when it comes to Coach development compared with the leading Football nations in the world. However in the last 5 years, there has been a marked improvement in the willingness of the FFA and NNSW to enage with it's members and really begin a significant push towards technical reform in this country.

It will take decades, not years, before we fully start to see an integrated grassroots development system for both players and coaches start to bear fruit on a consistent basis; however the groundwork that is being done is pushing us in the right direction. It is by no means perfect, and by no means should constant improvement of the system be stopped; however Football in this country is improving everyday and the groundwork done by the FFA and Han Berger with regards to development has been fantastic.

Also to say that only Magic and the Jets Youth played attractive Football in the NBN State League, again shows a lack of understanding of Football on a whole.

Football is a game of many styles and opinions, what may be attractive to you may not be to the tastes of others. But to disregard the efforts and abilities of the 8 other teams in the League is misguided and disrespectful.

Did you watch the Jets Youth? Because for me a style of Football which is so one dimensional, devoid of attacking nous and easily countered is not attractive at all. Passing it from Fullback to Centre Half, to opposite Fullback back to Centre Half, Connor Chapman long diagonal ball to Virgilli is not at all representative of great football in my mind.

In fact the counter-attacking performance of Edgeworth in last years Semi-Final against the Jets Youth displayed great tactical coaching from Gary Wilson and a superb ability from his players to carry out his instructions.

Imyourhero
24-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Did you watch the Jets Youth? Because for me a style of Football which is so one dimensional, devoid of attacking nous and easily countered is not attractive at all. Passing it from Fullback to Centre Half, to opposite Fullback back to Centre Half, Connor Chapman long diagonal ball to Virgilli is not at all representative of great football in my mind.

100% agree with this statement, i did not enjoy watching the Jets youth play last season at all, they were boring as hell and rarely created numerous chances in one game, if it wasn't for about 4 different players within the team e.g. virgili - then they could easily of gotten the wooden spoon. Their style was in no way "attractive", it was the exact same play we've seen from the seniors for about 50% of this season and we all saw how ugly everyone in the A-league could tell the style was and how easy it was to tactically and physically counter it.

De-Champ
24-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Forever Red if you feel the way NBN Clubs are doing things is the right way then you are suffering from some delusion.

All of them are playing second fiddle to the Magic Club who lets remember only arrived in NBN Level in 1995. Since then they have gone from homeless playing out of a borrowed Adamstown Oval to having their own wonderful facility that shites on all other clubs in the region, have had wonderful on field success and have provided a base for juniors such as Kanta / Hoole/soon to be Kale stepping into the Jets XI.

What have the rest of the clubs been doing in this time frame?? Standing still treading water and going backwards

Nearly every other club has a pile of blokes playing first grade who ain't there for their technical ability. Blokes who are 6ft>> 6ft 6inches tall, 80>90kgs big strong and fast. Basically players with good physical attributes and athletically inclined. Half of these blokes are technically poor but get away masquerading as First Grade players by running hard, tackling hard and physically dominating more technical types. As you go down the grades you will see these type of players gaining advancement and usually at the expense of kids who have some technical ability but ain't that physically gifted. The real technically gifted are fast tracked through the grades but it is these kids the ones who have some of the technical ability

This is the fault of no one other than the coaching departments of clubs. They are the ones who reward physical development over technical skills. Actually it isn't not just there fault it is also the fault of the committees who continue to select the coaches who have deluded old time philosophies and aren't taking a modern approach to this.

To say that most NBN sides play attractive football outside of Magic/ Jets Yoof who else does??? Cause all I seen last season was teams full of hacks chopping in and playing garbage level HOOFball???

Also if the Jets Yoof team are having to supplement players from the Sydney region to fill the squad doesn't that suggest the development programs at NBN Clubs are shit and not producing the talent??

Maybe a reality check for some of these clubs is needed to give them the kick up the arse required to raise their standards
Magic have been around a lot longer than that. They were known at one time as Hamilton Red Star, but later changed names mainly (other reasons as well) as Red Star implied Serbian not macedonian.

ForeverRed
24-01-2013, 04:46 PM

Not once did I mention magic in my post , please bat off over magic in the privacy of your home, do you know the ball is round, bugger me

hawk
24-01-2013, 04:55 PM
i did not enjoy watching the Jets youth play last season at all, they were boring as hell and rarely created numerous chances in one game, if it wasn't for about 4 different players within the team e.g. virgili - then they could easily of gotten the wooden spoon. Their style was in no way "attractive", it was the exact same play we've seen from the seniors for about 50% of this season and we all saw how ugly everyone in the A-league could tell the style was and how easy it was to tactically and physically counter it.

I didnt find it boring when they dominated much of the comp last year with that short passing game. In the end it was physically countered by bigger stronger opposition who also had some idea how to play.

Imyourhero
24-01-2013, 06:37 PM
I didnt find it boring when they dominated much of the comp last year with that short passing game. In the end it was physically countered by bigger stronger opposition who also had some idea how to play.

Passing the ball from CB to LB to CB to RB to CB to GK etc does not equal dominating.
However, each to their own i guess.

seldom
24-01-2013, 09:50 PM

Agree...surely we don't want all teams playing the same formation within the same system.I actually really enjoy different styles clashing,its entertaining

MFKS
24-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Agree...surely we don't want all teams playing the same formation within the same system.I actually really enjoy different styles clashing,its entertaining

Yes it is refreshing to see refreshingly different styles. What isn't refreshing is seeing blokes hack and kick away and teams resort to Wellington Phoenix like tactics in the NBN League. Styles should at least revolve around having some degree of respect for retaining possession in some form. Not just to kick the bejesus out of ball and opponent

Glad to see I touched a nerve with some of the sweethearts on here.

If you think the standards are being set by the bulk of the NBN Clubs are good enough then god help our region. We have had 3 successful years in the National League NSL/HAL in about 30 years where we have been thereat the business end of the season. Since the likes of Col Curran Baartzy etc what Socceroos have we been producing?? Lowey Halpin Zane ??A real stellar cast there. The clubs are who develop the players from schoolboys through the grades to Breakers/Jets level and then onto Australia. At the end of the day the results have been quite underwhelming

Who is to blame for this. The NNSW Federation should be holding its hands up to a large proportion to this. Secondly our clubs should also be taking some large responsibility for their short comings.

Most of the clubs in the NBN League are stuck in a 20-30 years ago Time warp and it is high time they started joining the 21st century

De Champ I am aware that Magic were around before 1995 it was then they joined the NBN Level and have kicked on.

Forever Red I don't go for Magic. I just pay them respect for what they have achieved in the last few years. Maybe whatever club you support can pull their socks up and one day join them as flag bearers for the comp.

Another reason i can have respect for Magic is they were probably the only team who actually tried to outplay the Jets Yoof. They stood strong and tried to play their own game and backed themselves to be better and won out. Every other team who played the Jets Yoof resorted to Hacking them at every opportunity or sitting back and trying to hit them on the counter when a stray pass cam their way.

Bit hard to respect the parking the bus mentality intermingled with the hacking the shit out of them approach all the other clubs took

seldom
24-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Mate physicality is part of the game...fvck off and watch netball you toss

MFKS
24-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Mate physicality is part of the game...fvck off and watch netball you toss

Physicality is part of the game. Yes. Low level Kevin Muscat wannabe thuggery ain't.

If physicality is your main tactic to win games then we are right back to where we started.

You keep up the good fight plugging for a bunch of 6ft 4 inch tall cavemen playing long ball garbage and I will continue the fight to see skillful technical ball control, delicate quick ball movement and delicate touches

I suppose Seldom you are the type of guy who thinks pre season training should be all about running laps sprints weights etc

Where as I see it all about actual football skills and tactical development to provide a football specific level of fitness.

Even at NBN Level it is good to see the thuggish long ball shit come unstuck and Magic be rewarded for their style of play by taking home the biscuits in last years GF. Wouldn't surprise me if Jets yoof and Magic are 1-2 this season. Can't see the thuggish style work on the Jets yoof to the extent it did last season. So maybe the poor NBN Clubs will actually have to come up with some new tactics

seldom
24-01-2013, 10:57 PM
dont preach to me about coaching member Ive seen hundreds of experts like you in the stand many who get their coaching certs but when it comes to reality cant win a game. If you truly believe that all teams beside magic and yoof are 6'4'' retards who only know how to pump it long and kick people you probably need to stay the fvck away, the comp will be just fine without you.As for the yoof, have coached a couple and know a few more and they certainly give the state league a lot more respect than you. Just a realistic question - have you even played the game ?

MFKS
24-01-2013, 11:08 PM
dont preach to me about coaching member Ive seen hundreds of experts like you in the stand many who get their coaching certs but when it comes to reality cant win a game. If you truly believe that all teams beside magic and yoof are 6'4'' retards who only know how to pump it long and kick people you probably need to stay the fvck away, the comp will be just fine without you.As for the yoof, have coached a couple and know a few more and they certainly give the state league a lot more respect than you. Just a realistic question - have you even played the game ?

Yeah Played NBN State League Level :lulzturtle::lulzturtle::whistling:

Walked right into that one :rof:

Imyourhero
24-01-2013, 11:34 PM
I guess the reality is that we are still 10 years behind Europe and most of the world in the development of our football.
Even if all clubs take on the magic/jets mentality (i actually think the magic mentality is better) this is only a small area of football in Australia.
There's a long way to go but we have to ( and we have the ability) keep slowly evolving.

seldom
24-01-2013, 11:55 PM
I guess the reality is that we are still 10 years behind Europe and most of the world in the development of our football.
Even if all clubs take on the magic/jets mentality (i actually think the magic mentality is better) this is only a small area of football in Australia.
There's a long way to go but we have to ( and we have the ability) keep slowly evolving.

I honestly believe the problem is the coaching standards in juniors.Don't get me wrong they try their hardest but many times its a mum or dad with little knowledge.You get a team that from u6s has a dad who played and knows how to coach they tend to be in A grade most of their junior career and can make the transition into seniors more easily than youngins without this luxury.You get a kid 16 or 17 come up from juniors its one thing to teach them game and tactical awareness within your system but it is another thing to try and change their technique on the ball. And as for most young kids and their heading ability dont get me started.Its why young players who get picked up in the select systems tend to be the only ones that go on cause they have had better coaching early on.I believe this is why Magic is such a strong club,plenty of junior numbers with coaches who have at least played decent football.I truly dont know what the answer is for lesser known clubs because where do you find better coaches who are willing to volunteer their time ?

ForeverRed
25-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Yes it is refreshing to see refreshingly different styles. What isn't refreshing is seeing blokes hack and kick away and teams resort to Wellington Phoenix like tactics in the NBN League. Styles should at least revolve around having some degree of respect for retaining possession in some form. Not just to kick the bejesus out of ball and opponent

Glad to see I touched a nerve with some of the sweethearts on here.

If you think the standards are being set by the bulk of the NBN Clubs are good enough then god help our region. We have had 3 successful years in the National League NSL/HAL in about 30 years where we have been thereat the business end of the season. Since the likes of Col Curran Baartzy etc what Socceroos have we been producing?? Lowey Halpin Zane ??A real stellar cast there. The clubs are who develop the players from schoolboys through the grades to Breakers/Jets level and then onto Australia. At the end of the day the results have been quite underwhelming

Who is to blame for this. The NNSW Federation should be holding its hands up to a large proportion to this. Secondly our clubs should also be taking some large responsibility for their short comings.

Most of the clubs in the NBN League are stuck in a 20-30 years ago Time warp and it is high time they started joining the 21st century

De Champ I am aware that Magic were around before 1995 it was then they joined the NBN Level and have kicked on.

Forever Red I don't go for Magic. I just pay them respect for what they have achieved in the last few years. Maybe whatever club you support can pull their socks up and one day join them as flag bearers for the comp.

Another reason i can have respect for Magic is they were probably the only team who actually tried to outplay the Jets Yoof. They stood strong and tried to play their own game and backed themselves to be better and won out. Every other team who played the Jets Yoof resorted to Hacking them at every opportunity or sitting back and trying to hit them on the counter when a stray pass cam their way.

Bit hard to respect the parking the bus mentality intermingled with the hacking the shit out of them approach all the other clubs took

Newcastle football doesn't need people like you, I suppose you follow man united to, typical know it all wanker, move on buddy, your drunk

MFKS
25-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Newcastle football doesn't need people like you, I suppose you follow man united to, typical know it all wanker, move on buddy, your drunk

No mate i don't support Man Utd. I don't support any big end European Club

As for you are you on one of the committees or a coach of one of these clubs. Cause you sure as hell are defensive of criticism towards them. If you are then you should be open and prepared to receive criticism so maybe you ought to take the tiara off princess and respond with your opinion of how you do things rather than personal insults.

Maybe Forever Red it is people like you that are the problem. Walking around clubs with the high and mighty attitude that your shit don't stink and patting yourselves on the back thinking you are doing a great job. In the mean time Newy Soccer's future is being pissed away on your watch because your too stuck in your ways to change and think you deserve a medal and a pat on the back for your contribution

Buddha
25-01-2013, 11:37 AM

i like the irony of this statement

goaliepersempre
25-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Okay guess.... challenge... please give me what you would do in the 3 training sessions held next week. What would you do?

pv4
25-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Okay guess.... challenge... please give me what you would do in the 3 training sessions held next week. What would you do?

http://i46.tinypic.com/binxwh.jpg

Imyourhero
25-01-2013, 11:49 AM
I honestly believe the problem is the coaching standards in juniors.Don't get me wrong they try their hardest but many times its a mum or dad with little knowledge.You get a team that from u6s has a dad who played and knows how to coach they tend to be in A grade most of their junior career and can make the transition into seniors more easily than youngins without this luxury.You get a kid 16 or 17 come up from juniors its one thing to teach them game and tactical awareness within your system but it is another thing to try and change their technique on the ball. And as for most young kids and their heading ability dont get me started.Its why young players who get picked up in the select systems tend to be the only ones that go on cause they have had better coaching early on.I believe this is why Magic is such a strong club,plenty of junior numbers with coaches who have at least played decent football.I truly dont know what the answer is for lesser known clubs because where do you find better coaches who are willing to volunteer their time ?

Definetly agree - looking at football as a whole in Australia, we are not just lacking the knowledge in the major areas of coaching/playing etc but simply the correct attitude from parents towards the development of their children. I remember watching a youtube video posted by TheWorldGame, it was recored when Foz travelled to spain to spend time at the Barcelona academy. ( now before people go and start ranting about the Foz just relax, the focus isn't his opinion) The focus on this video was a very simple concept, it was the youth youth, i believe around 7-9 years of age playing a proper match. As per a ruling that is accepted by the families and supporter of these young children there is no cheering or yelling given to the kids as they play, the only noise is the chatter between supporters and applause when a child scores a goal. Do you guys think at grassroots level extreme cheering should be allowed at a game? Especially as this can be a catalyst for abusive language?

I know the above is abit off topic so i will also ask, have magic played a sydney team in a trial match over the past few years? If so, was it a higher finishing club?

ForeverRed
25-01-2013, 02:53 PM
No mate i don't support Man Utd. I don't support any big end European Club

As for you are you on one of the committees or a coach of one of these clubs. Cause you sure as hell are defensive of criticism towards them. If you are then you should be open and prepared to receive criticism so maybe you ought to take the tiara off princess and respond with your opinion of how you do things rather than personal insults.

Maybe Forever Red it is people like you that are the problem. Walking around clubs with the high and mighty attitude that your shit don't stink and patting yourselves on the back thinking you are doing a great job. In the mean time Newy Soccer's future is being pissed away on your watch because your too stuck in your ways to change and think you deserve a medal and a pat on the back for your contribution

I'm not on any committee or coaching staff, I have a son who plays, I am not being defensive at all, it's your 'know it all' attitude that smells, I don't call it criticism what you say, its an attack on all clubs except your precious magic and sydney jets youth, please remember that if it wasnt for the state league clubs the sydney jets youth would not be in the competition, the clubs gave the go ahead, not NNSWF, where you get 'WALKING AROUND HIGH AND MIGHTY' is beyond me, we are lucky I suppose your not a coach or committee person, god help us if that ever happened, I will forgive you for the 'Princess' call as you obviously have no idea,this is my final response to your dribble, [mod edit for racism]

goaliepersempre
25-01-2013, 03:22 PM
lol.... so forever red watching your son... whats he doing at training?

This is all about the training remember... I have had experience with training in various countries and have a few points:

We are doing good here, continually improving our training from say 10 years ago.. as cultures change from old football styles.. .

We do however have a long way to go. to improve the technique and quickness of our play and thinking.. (still a big problem in the aleague today is the time it takes for a player to make a decision on what pass he is going to play)

Teams do require a certain amount of physicallity and plain average running however countless of session all built about running your ass off on a road (remember hardest ground and if making kids do it is highly irresponsible, poor for joints etc etc) is not the answer.. A hybrid of training is required. With if you want to develop players. Targeted improvements designed for the individual player.. Yes this is hard for an amatuer league.... There are 2 parts of this too the individual willingness to push to there hardest and outside of "club training" do there bit and training design.

There is no point in slagging of certain clubs or whatever... continual improvement and direction needs to be provided and this must come from NNSWF.

nbnjet
26-01-2013, 12:07 AM

Is this language really necessary. I find it disrespectful that someone cannot canvas their ideas without being ridiculed and call every name under the sun. Just not necessary.

nbnjet
26-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm not on any committee or coaching staff, I have a son who plays, I am not being defensive at all, it's your 'know it all' attitude that smells, I don't call it criticism what you say, its an attack on all clubs except your precious magic and sydney jets youth, please remember that if it wasnt for the state league clubs the sydney jets youth would not be in the competition, the clubs gave the go ahead, not NNSWF, where you get 'WALKING AROUND HIGH AND MIGHTY' is beyond me, we are lucky I suppose your not a coach or committee person, god help us if that ever happened, I will forgive you for the 'Princess' call as you obviously have no idea,this is my final response to your dribble

[mod edit to remove reference to ethnicity]

All said and done I actually thought Edgeworth started playing some attractive football near the end of the season. I also feel they had for many years previously placed great emphasis on physical fitness. I still think you best have the best of both worlds if you want to have a successful team. I was however disappointed with many teams in our comp, I think they lacked ability, technical knowledge, fitness, and as was said earlier in these post some teams greatest form of play was a whole lot of hacking. Not a good look in my eyes.

seldom
26-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Is this language really necessary. I find it disrespectful that someone cannot canvas their ideas without being ridiculed and call every name under the sun. Just not necessary.

Really? I'm all for people having opinions if they are informed ones,but state league coaches and committee personnel being slandered by a twat who hasn't played the game is in your words ''disrespectful''.Do believe the member for kincumber has been throwin the names around plenty so don't shed a tear mate

Bremsstrahlung
26-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Tbh, most teams are capable of playing great football. Olympic have the ability to play it around. As do Edgy. South Cardiff play great football against the better teams, some of their games against Magic are the most memorable I've seen in the State League.

As for the pre-season training.
I do think there is a need for some fitness training. Just to get everybody's legs ticking over, getting into the swing of things. You run 95% of the game without the ball...so fitness is a huge part of the game. Though the most important part is what you do with it in that 5%, so technical ability is important in that respect. I was always a fan of doing some kind of fitness first (running between 2 ball players), getting on the ball when fatigued in a 5 a side possession, and finishing with a few sprints and then a passing exercise to cool down/keep the concentration going. Most players playing NBN in even 19s and above, have some technical ability. The touch comes naturally in passing drills and possession based games. After a few weeks, start doing tactical stuff like Attackers Vs Defenders 6 v 6 with a goalkeeper/goals with games on weekend.
Clever coaching would incorporate fitness into a technical session, e.g. ensure the possession game is fast tempo and intense.

nbnjet
26-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Tbh, most teams are capable of playing great football. Olympic have the ability to play it around. As do Edgy. South Cardiff play great football against the better teams, some of their games against Magic are the most memorable I've seen in the State League.

Totally agree but I have to say the best I had ever seen Olympic was under Bobby Nomav, he rebuilt the team, they were fit and played with great style something they had not done before or since in my opinion, and then after a successful year they then sacked Nomav. Don't figure. I know they won a title last year but the football just wasn't football for me. Praise to Southy they have something going on over there and it just works for them most the time. As for Edgy I have to say always one of fittest teams around but definitely started last year with terrible football, finished with terrific football.

nbnjet
26-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Really? I'm all for people having opinions if they are informed ones,but state league coaches and committee personnel being slandered by a twat who hasn't played the game is in your words ''disrespectful''.Do believe the member for kincumber has been throwin the names around plenty so don't shed a tear mate

Oh I won't be shedding a tear... BUT it's the variety in life that makes it interesting, just as the variety of opinions. I mean if we all agreed and wanted to be sheep then there are great countries for us like Sth Korea and Iran...

In a round a bout way I think what MKFS is trying to say is let's improve the coaching ability a of our league. I think most people would agree that the more we educate our coaches, players, clubs, then the improvement in the league will follow. Magic set the benchmark because of many factors including great junior club with great coaches, and all the other stuff they do. Olympic also have great successful juniors but often the criticism is they select them like representative teams so if your not good enough your not worth keeping in the fold. I think it's up to all clubs to improve all aspects of their clubs, coaches, training, facilities, juniors, etc. there is no point waiting on government handouts be cause we have all done that and now we are trumped by Magic who had nothing but now lead the way. I for one can't wait to see some more progress at Edgy and Southy, the only other clubs in my opinion who are making some VISIBLE progress. Oh and for the fact Thornton put up a fence around the field at their own cost. Now look at all our state league clubs and tell me who has done anything that wasn't funded by council or gov...

EH9
26-01-2013, 08:20 AM
In a round a bout way I think what MKFS is trying to say is let's improve the coaching ability a of our league. I think most people would agree that the more we educate our coaches, players, clubs, then the improvement in the league will follow. Magic set the benchmark because of many factors including great junior club with great coaches, and all the other stuff they do. Olympic also have great successful juniors but often the criticism is they select them like representative teams so if your not good enough your not worth keeping in the fold. I think it's up to all clubs to improve all aspects of their clubs, coaches, training, facilities, juniors, etc. there is no point waiting on government handouts be cause we have all done that and now we are trumped by Magic who had nothing but now lead the way. I for one can't wait to see some more progress at Edgy and Southy, the only other clubs in my opinion who are making some VISIBLE progress. Oh and for the fact Thornton put up a fence around the field at their own cost. Now look at all our state league clubs and tell me who has done anything that wasn't funded by council or gov...

This raises a couple of questions in my mind.

1. You mention Magic's GREAT junior coaches. What makes them great? Is it the quality of the coach that makes a team great or is it the quality of the cattle that makes them look great? Or both?

2. Are you suggesting Magic didn't get government handouts to improve any of their facilities?

3. When you talk about Edgy and Southy 'progressing', do you mean facilities wise or football department wise?

The Magician
26-01-2013, 08:53 AM
1. You mention Magic's GREAT junior coaches. What makes them great? Is it the quality of the coach that makes a team great or is it the quality of the cattle that makes them look great? Or both?

2. Are you suggesting Magic didn't get government handouts to improve any of their facilities?

FYI

1. Coaching philosophy that filters from the head coach of seniors down, added to by junior technical director, frequent coaches meetings to reinforce objectives. Players will come if they see the system working, the system's goal is always progression from juniors to seniors and beyond. This is also aided by Seniors not adopting a winning at all costs mentality and dropping first graders to play U19 catch up games like other clubs love to do at the sacrifice of their own Youth. A club that shows this "trust" and respect for the cattle it selected during its trials will continue to attract top players to juniors and seniors if the pathway is obvious.

2. Summation of Magics government hand outs, 2003-2007- total of $12000 Small community grants for Bbq's, mowers, small concreting jobs, 2008- $40000- watering system, 2012-$40000 - Lighting. Everything else you see at Wanderers has been prepared, constructed, completed by Broadmeadow Magic committee, supporters and community donations of material and labour.

Bremsstrahlung
26-01-2013, 10:35 AM
3. When you talk about Edgy and Southy 'progressing', do you mean facilities wise or football department wise?

I'd say both.
Edgy- Always seems to be updating their facilities. Granted it's not up to Magic's standard yet, but they are trying. Ground looks a treat early on in the year (maybe invest in some drainage though as it turns swampy for the season after a week of rain). Their football isn't too bad in patches. They hit their straps late in the season. If they started that well, they may have pushed Olympic for top spot.

Southy - Not the best facilities. But again, they are actively trying to improve. 2 new stands over the last 2 years. I'm assuming a 3rd is on its way (in front of the tennis courts) since they have replaced the other 'shitty stand'. For a club that doesn't have the income*/funds*/public reputation that the likes of Broadmeadow Magic, Hamilton Olympic and even Edgeworth and Weston to an extent, they are doing pretty well at developing their ground. And as I said earlier, their football is great against teams that also like to play (Magic, Jets). For me, I think they are making a transition. Their internal development is on par with Magic I believe. Cue "Where's the Hoole's and Bradberry's etc of Southy?" comments. Southy's Under 23s this year were made up of about 70% of the Under 19s team last year. I think 5-7 of the players were eligible to play Under 17s this year. Minor Premiers and lost to Olympic (whose team had a fair few first grader's in it) in the GF. A few players have gone to trial/play with Jets. Some good things football-wise happening out there. Top 2 Finish this year for Southy I believe.

*common assumption.

nbnjet
27-01-2013, 07:57 AM
This raises a couple of questions in my mind.

I couldn't answer anything better than the Magician, assuming he is associated with Magic because his information appears to be in the loop stuff.

As for point 3 i agree with Bremsstrahlun, what more can you say!

Zico
27-01-2013, 11:34 AM
From what I have seen the system that is currently in place in Sydney football is far more advanced than the current system in Newy but things have changed in a massive way in the past 5 to 10 years and the gap is getting narrower each year.

NNSWFF are working towards a better system and I believe are on the correct path but Rome wasn't built in a day. For change to happen it will require the change of attitude from everybody that starts at the fed and goes down to the general punter who pays his $8 week in week out to watch the matches.

The attitude of some of the parents who have a talented young player also hault the proggress of the system as the general attitude at the moment is Football is a winter sport and the training should stop there. This is also changing but like I said above, it will take time.

As for the topic we are discussing a balance needs to be found between fittness and ballwork. I am extremely against running laps and road runs but believe strongly in training sharpness and endurance as you can be fit but you also require sharpness which sometimes needs to be done without a ball at your feet.

Zico
27-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Something that I should have added also is that the popularity of futsal at Junior level and how it will no doubt add to the number of technicaly gifted players coming through the ranks in the next 7 to 10 years.

WolfMan
27-01-2013, 12:34 PM
The FFA have issued a directive for clubs in regard to training.

The section on Fitness is basically full of drills/ games that run for a set amount of time, with rest periods between.

As an example; 8 v 8 on a 3/4 pitch for 10 minutes, with a 3 minute rest between and repeat. Footballs are around the outside of the makeshift pitch and beside the goals at either end. When a goal is scored/ball goes out - GK's have 3 seconds to throw the ball in and start again.

The idea behind this is constant movement and the (hopefully) instantaneous change from attack to defence and vice versa.

Having started training last week, I can say this really gets you working, whilst also regaining ball-skills lost over the off-season. Would have run about 5k's on each night without really even realising it.

Bremsstrahlung
27-01-2013, 12:43 PM
The FFA have issued a directive for clubs in regard to training.

The section on Fitness is basically full of drills/ games that run for a set amount of time, with rest periods between.

As an example; 8 v 8 on a 3/4 pitch for 10 minutes, with a 3 minute rest between and repeat. Footballs are around the outside of the makeshift pitch and beside the goals at either end. When a goal is scored/ball goes out - GK's have 3 seconds to throw the ball in and start again.

The idea behind this is constant movement and the (hopefully) instantaneous change from attack to defence and vice versa.

Having started training last week, I can say this really gets you working, whilst also regaining ball-skills lost over the off-season. Would have run about 5k's on each night without really even realising it.

Great drill. Need to breaks to maintain intensity though.

No matter how much training you do. The first game you play, 90% of the players will be spent after 20 minutes. Playing against opposition (not intraclub) is the best way to improve fitness and give a good indication of how you are fitness-wise.

boz-monaut
27-01-2013, 01:27 PM
if you'll actually look back to the first page of this thread you'll see a link I put up to this FFA directive

Captain_Carl
19-11-2021, 08:07 AM
Preseason fitness is an integral part of the game. It can help prevent injury and give a team the chance to hit the ground running so to speak.

Villians
21-03-2022, 06:40 PM
#

Captain_Carl
22-03-2022, 05:06 AM
I found the following to be a pretty good guide

https://sportlane.com/en/blog/pre-season-soccer-football-training-drills