31-01-2013, 08:33 PM
ZAD
Tha main man :yay:

bonjour imposteur
31-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Cinco estrellas.

hauss
31-01-2013, 08:57 PM
I really think it makes sense to choose a captain who can watch his team from the stands. It's by far the best vantage point.

pistolpete
31-01-2013, 08:58 PM
You know it makes sense.

Best idea i've heard in ages

seldom
31-01-2013, 09:48 PM
You know it makes sense.

It does...especially if clubs policy is to shaft their captains

plague
31-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Make Deans captain then.

GazFish35
31-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Zelic
Okon
North
Thompson
Bridges
Wheelhouse

The Dunster
01-02-2013, 02:28 AM
Ryu must be nervous as he looks odds on to be handed the poisonous chalice

MFKS
01-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Zads will be staring down the barrell big time.

Not only will he have the boys from Topors Troopers trying to put their kiss of death touch on him but will also have to handle this captains curse policy we have.

Bloke will be off to WSW before the next game

halo se7en
01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Zelic
Okon
North
Thompson
Bridges
Wheelhouse

Again, how was Jobe shafted? Not one person has been able to answer this question.

And how was North and Bridges shafted? Bridges is still here… North pissed off to S Korea didn't he?

Pico
01-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Again, how was Jobe shafted? Not one person has been able to answer this question.

And how was North and Bridges shafted? Bridges is still here… North pissed off to S Korea didn't he?

The captains curse is more that they all piss off after becoming captain, not that they were all necessarily shafted.

As for jobe, I don't have a problem with them not re-signing him, its this pathetic way of going about it, its all this smoke and mirrors BS.

The bloke has been playing for our club for 10 years, is the current captain, he deserved to be treated with respect, something HSG, Middleby & GVE completely lack for any of the playing squad that was not express posted from either the Fury or the AIS.

What I'd really like to know is how long until we are out of this "rebuilding Phase", how long is long enough for GVE to have "his" squad, 2yrs, 4yrs, 10yrs. When exactly should we be allowed to start asking questions about how effective this coach is, his system if it even exists,his man management, his success. For a bloke who claims there is "no room for sentiment" in sport is laughable considering the epic wave of it that got him over the line with the dunce that is Middleby and HSG.

halo se7en
01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
The captains curse is more that they all piss off after becoming captain, not that they were all necessarily shafted.

As for jobe, I don't have a problem with them not re-signing him, its this pathetic way of going about it, its all this smoke and mirrors BS.

The bloke has been playing for our club for 10 years, is the current captain, he deserved to be treated with respect, something HSG, Middleby & GVE completely lack for any of the playing squad that was not express posted from either the Fury or the AIS.

What I'd really like to know is how long until we are out of this "rebuilding Phase", how long is long enough for GVE to have "his" squad, 2yrs, 4yrs, 10yrs. When exactly should we be allowed to start asking questions about how effective this coach is, his system if it even exists,his man management, his success. For a bloke who claims there is "no room for sentiment" in sport is laughable considering the epic wave of it that got him over the line with the dunce that is Middleby and HSG.

My comment about Jobe being shafted was in response to Seldom's comment, not so much Gary's.

And again, all you've done is have a go at the way "the club went about it"… WHAT EXACTLY DID THEY DO THAT YOU DON'T LIKE??

As far as I'm concerned, they told a player he wasn't needed next season. Did you want them to lie to him? Doesn't matter whether he's been here 5 minutes or 10 years - if the coach deems him unsuitable for the future, then he finishes up. It's exactly how contracts work, in ANY profession. Wheelhouse should be grateful that he got such long notice to look at other options.

I'm only seeing vague responses about a lack of respect from the club with nothing concrete. What about Jobe's lack of respect? I don't need to speculate - he admitted to not having his head or heart in it for 6-12 months, LONG BEFORE the contract talks were started/stalled/dodged whatever etc… But he didn't walk away and do the "right" thing for the club or his teammates… he played on, picked up his paycheck AND wore the captain's armband.

plague
01-02-2013, 06:34 PM
But he didn't walk away and do the "right" thing for the club or his teammates… he played on, picked up his paycheck AND wore the captain's armband.

You forgot to add "AND was considered by many to be one of our best and most consistent players during that time".

My2BobsWorth
01-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Until pv4 analyses his distribution rate we will never know

plague
01-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Until pv4 analyses his distribution rate we will never know

MFKS already has apparently. Worst player ever or some such shit.

militiamon
01-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Ahem, let's try and stay on topic here...

Jesic, great player, tore it up in pre-season, been on fire for the youth league. The next Sam Gallaway if you ask me.

sh10
01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Can someone explain to me why jesic is so shit now? he used to be good, I must have missed something

Pico
01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
My comment about Jobe being shafted was in response to Seldom's comment, not so much Gary's.

And again, all you've done is have a go at the way "the club went about it"… WHAT EXACTLY DID THEY DO THAT YOU DON'T LIKE??

As far as I'm concerned, they told a player he wasn't needed next season. Did you want them to lie to him? Doesn't matter whether he's been here 5 minutes or 10 years - if the coach deems him unsuitable for the future, then he finishes up. It's exactly how contracts work, in ANY profession. Wheelhouse should be grateful that he got such long notice to look at other options.

I'm only seeing vague responses about a lack of respect from the club with nothing concrete. What about Jobe's lack of respect? I don't need to speculate - he admitted to not having his head or heart in it for 6-12 months, LONG BEFORE the contract talks were started/stalled/dodged whatever etc… But he didn't walk away and do the "right" thing for the club or his teammates… he played on, picked up his paycheck AND wore the captain's armband.

As I have said earlier I have no problems with not re-signing him, in fact I probably would have done the same, but I'd at least be upfront with the bloke and not drag it out and lie to everyone through the media, I'd be upfront with him and tell him where he stands, not wait around delaying telling the fans what they want to hear, until I have signed some bloke from Adelaide.

Its not like this is the first time HSG / Middleby /GVE has done this look at Abbas, yeah we want you ali, then next minute contract pulled and its get your arse out of here. Elrich is another example, lead along by the coach with a heap of messages and correspondence with him telling him he was wanted and needed for the next season delaying for as long as possible so they can try and force the player to take any other option so they don't appear to be cutting a fan favourite, its piss weak, if you don't want them fine , thats life happens all the time, but have the ****in balls to be honest and upfront about it, so basically the complete lack of any integrety in the club is my main issue.

oh and Jesic, may as well see if he can be as good with Heskey as he was with Jeffers, couldn't hurt, would probably lift with the captaincy too.

MFKS
01-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Not being a smart arse Pico but can you enlighten me where the club "lied" in the media about Jobes status.?? Because I must have missed it

Most times I see anything to do with contracts and the Jets the cliche "Newcastle Jets refuse to comment on transfer negotiations etc" or something to that effect is used.

I recall them (GVE??) saying something about not pushing Jobe out of the club to Melbourne Heart when the intitial offer came through for him.

I don't ever recall them saying we are retaining Jobe or anything positive about renewing jobes contract like they have with Zads.

I am a little confused as to where they have lied to the player/fans in this case. Can you enlighten me what I have missed in this saga that shows them lying??

halo se7en
02-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Pico - have a look at this article. Sounds like they were very upfront and honest with him, before it got "played out" in the media. By "played out" I mean reported on.

"Wheelhouse revealed that he had spoken with Van Egmond privately some weeks ago and discovered that he wasn't in his plans for the future but said that was not the reason for him taking a break from the game."

It sounds like it was a win-win for both parties. Why can't we just accept what's happened without blaming the club (over and over and over again).

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/262625,egmond-praise-for-wheelhouse.aspx

militiamon
02-02-2013, 11:12 AM
For me at least the issue is why he wasn't in his plans in the first place.

Everyone knows I am a GVE supporter, but for all the changes he has made (especially getting rid of long-term players), what good has it done? I will always back a coach to pick his own team, but that is dependent on the coach actually getting better results. In other words, I would rather we kept a local player who has been with the club for over a decade and get mediocre results more than getting rid of that player and still get mediocre results.

stopper2
02-02-2013, 11:16 AM
^^^
We have this mentality in Newcastle where we look at things in a very small-minded way. It's very simplistic and narrow-minded (just look at the big support Bridges seems to attract). It's disappointing when situations like the one with Jobe occur but sometimes you just have to step back, actually look at the facts and the big picture before you start trying to blame someone in these situations. In football or any sport it's just a fact of life that these situations happen from time to time, you just accept that it's all a part of the game and you move on.

Pico
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Negotiations with Zadkovich are advanced, but while van Egmond said Wheelhouse was ‘‘in his plans’’, the club is yet to start formal talks with the skipper.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1253075/caravella-turns-up-heat-in-battle-for-positions/

Similar thing they did with Elrich & Abbas, yeah they are in our plans, just more stalling tactics so they don't have to make the tough call.

militiamon
02-02-2013, 11:30 AM
^^^
We have this mentality in Newcastle where we look at things in a very small-minded way. It's very simplistic and narrow-minded (just look at the big support Bridges seems to attract). It's disappointing when situations like the one with Jobe occur but sometimes you just have to step back, actually look at the facts and the big picture before you start trying to blame someone in these situations. In football or any sport it's just a fact of life that these situations happen from time to time, you just accept that it's all a part of the game and you move on.

To be fair, it's not very common for a club to ditch their captain, a player who has been at the club for yonks. As bad as the A-League is for club loyalty, that is not normal.

Fans have to have players who they can relate to, all part of the shared experience. Who wants to watch a new bunch of robots wearing Jets shirts play every season? (and pretty average robots at that) I've been deliberately avoiding reading some of the commentary on this because I know it will be stupid, but if people are asking these kinds of questions then I don't see anything small-minded about that.

The Dunster
02-02-2013, 12:11 PM
http://swordrock.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/robot_soccer_robotgames-720918.jpg

It's only a matter of time with GVE in charge

militiamon
02-02-2013, 12:14 PM
:rof:

seldom
02-02-2013, 12:57 PM
so in summary...people who think Jobe can play the game are upset with the clubs decision while the haters are rejoicing.Agree we need to move on but surely the guy needs a decent send off,would maybe ease the tension a little. I have 5 family seats at the jets but today i'll be travelling alone as wife and kids are shitty with this decision.I suppose i'll save some coin on next years memberships.

MFKS
02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Similar thing they did with Elrich & Abbas, yeah they are in our plans, just more stalling tactics so they don't have to make the tough call.

To me pico that sounds pretty vague as to what GVE's intentions are. Some may interpret it that he is wanted by GVE. Others may view it as Jobe ain't a lost cause to getting a new contract but still may not get a new deal

Also would like to point out it came from the Newy Herald!!!

Not to mention it isn't a direct quote from GVE but more of a summarisation from Gardner as to what GVE's thoughts were on Jobe's future with Caravellos signing

Being that GVE says SFA to Gardner Dillon and the Newy Herald I wonder how much of the "in his (GVE) plans" rhetoric from Gardner is true or a degree of speculation from an out of the loop hack journo??

GazFish35
02-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Why make jobe captain in the first place?

Surely when you decide on a captain you already know if he's in your plans for the long term.

boz-monaut
02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
we should see if the Jets will allow Furns to interview GvE and ask all these sort of questions

MFKS
02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Why make jobe captain in the first place?

Surely when you decide on a captain you already know if he's in your plans for the long term.

Thought Jobe was named captain under Culina before he left. Seem to recall Jobe being interviewed on the day Branko got Tinks foot up his arse and his marching orders.

I was surprised he was named captain coz at the time we had Kanta(LOL) Zads J Culina and Kasey to play centre mid. I would suggest with those options Jobe would be no certaionty to be picked even on the bench

lquiquer
02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Thought Jobe was named captain under Culina before he left. Seem to recall Jobe being interviewed on the day Branko got Tinks foot up his arse and his marching orders.

I was surprised he was named captain coz at the time we had Kanta(LOL) Zads J Culina and Kasey to play centre mid. I would suggest with those options Jobe would be no certaionty to be picked even on the bench

Jobe was name captain by branko (At newy stadium / members day) the week before he was shown the door. I clearly remember i didn't see it coming, almost shocked

GazFish35
02-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Fare enuff then.

BOT.

Make Jesic captain so he can be gone soon too.

halo se7en
02-02-2013, 04:49 PM
militiamon - The thing is, something in our team has to change - we simply don't have a good enough team to challenge for top spot. Getting rid of deadwood squaddies (ie Jesic, Cooper, Oxborrow.. even Bridges) won't help because we can only replace them with players on the similar money.

I'm assuming Jobe would have wanted more $$ in his next contract (maybe not a lot but surely an increase) and he would have been on a decent (not huge) salary already. In the end, there's no way the club could justify a pay rise. He's been better this year than previously but it's been because he had some momentum, not because he suddenly became an important cog in our machine. As an employer, why would you pay more money to someone for the same job?

Our team was not going to improve with Wheelhouse as captain next season. We could have had a new captain, but would that have done to Jobe's confidence?? He would have ended up being relegated to the bench and that would have been criminal for the $$ he was on. Our midfield has been the problem all season, and GVE's looking to improve it for next season. I'm not GVE's biggest fan but I think I can finally see his direction. He had a tough call to make but did the right thing. He seems to have known Jobe long enough that this isn't a case of playing favourites - I genuinely believe he would have found this more difficult than with most other players leaving.

Thomas477
02-02-2013, 05:19 PM
so in summary...people who think Jobe can play the game are upset with the clubs decision while the haters are rejoicing.Agree we need to move on but surely the guy needs a decent send off,would maybe ease the tension a little. I have 5 family seats at the jets but today i'll be travelling alone as wife and kids are shitty with this decision.I suppose i'll save some coin on next years memberships.

Seriously? No player is bigger than the club, even Griff. Yes they may be pissed off that a player has left, but you should never stop supporting the team. Much better to be pissed off with management and watch the team, than to be pissed off with management of a club that doesn't exist.

prawnhead
02-02-2013, 06:48 PM

The fact that Cullina made Wheelhouse captain is completely irrelevant. Each season a good coach assesses the playing group (on a number of things both on and off the park) prior to making the key decision of appointing the clubs leader. To appoint a player as leader at the commencement of the season and then 1/2 to 2/3 through the season decide that there is no future for them at the club, then that for me is poor management. Unless of course there is something we don't know about.

MFKS
02-02-2013, 10:47 PM
The fact that Cullina made Wheelhouse captain is completely irrelevant. Each season a good coach assesses the playing group (on a number of things both on and off the park) prior to making the key decision of appointing the clubs leader. To appoint a player as leader at the commencement of the season and then 1/2 to 2/3 through the season decide that there is no future for them at the club, then that for me is poor management. Unless of course there is something we don't know about.

Agree GVE in hindsight should have reviewed the captaincy maybe not last season when he came back as no need to rock the boat and highly disrespectful to strip captaincy after a month or two but definitely this season.

If he felt Jobe wasn't the man to lead us now and into the future he should have been stripped of captaincy then and there and Zads/RyGriff etc given the gig

seldom
02-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Seriously? No player is bigger than the club, even Griff. Yes they may be pissed off that a player has left, but you should never stop supporting the team. Much better to be pissed off with management and watch the team, than to be pissed off with management of a club that doesn't exist.

Mate sit back down this isn't your stop !I'll keep supporting the jerks but have tried for years to get the family there and now after 2 seasons it's over.And before you have a sly shot at them...think again

Thomas477
02-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Mate sit back down this isn't your stop !I'll keep supporting the jerks but have tried for years to get the family there and now after 2 seasons it's over.And before you have a sly shot at them...think again

Mate, I wasn't meaning to have a go at them. Just found it hard to believe that one player going would mean they would stop going to matches, especially midway through the season and despite having season passes. As an avid supporter that doesn't even compute for me. That's all, not intentially having a go at anyone.

seldom
03-02-2013, 12:22 AM
yeah point taken I was probs a little too aggressive there.I'll have another go...you say your an avid supporter as a lot of us are,but really would that be around 5000 of the 11500 members I'm not sure.My wife and siblings are not, even though I've played and coached for *****years.They go purely for entertainment and tend to fixate on an individual or 2. One has even travelled to syd to watch lord griff cause she loves his looks.I'm just saying the club needs to realise a lot of the supporters are volatile ones and before making any decisions on players especially long standing ones maybe handle their exit with a little more dignity. p.s.trying to direct their love to Hesk

De-Champ
03-02-2013, 10:13 AM
If this is the reaction because Jobe left/not wanted etc, what would happen if Zad goes?????

Thomas477
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
yeah point taken I was probs a little too aggressive there.I'll have another go...you say your an avid supporter as a lot of us are,but really would that be around 5000 of the 11500 members I'm not sure.My wife and siblings are not, even though I've played and coached for *****years.They go purely for entertainment and tend to fixate on an individual or 2. One has even travelled to syd to watch lord griff cause she loves his looks.I'm just saying the club needs to realise a lot of the supporters are volatile ones and before making any decisions on players especially long standing ones maybe handle their exit with a little more dignity. p.s.trying to direct their love to Hesk

Fair enough. You're right, we were averaging 6-7k during the dark years after our Championship and until Tinks took over and won over another 5-6k due to cheap ticket prices. The club does need to realise that it needs to treat its players, from the outside looking in, better. However, that being said, it was always going to be tough letting Jobe go. And hopefully Heskey stays next year!