PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Jobe

militiamon
31-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Need a proper thread to pay tribute to a Newy boy who played all of his professional career for his hometown club. Leave all the other shit to the multitude of other threads on the subject, this one is purely for praising a modern day Newy ledge.

Fair to say he had quite a few ups and downs at the club. Going from being one of the brightest young prospects in the country to being heckled (at times) by your own fans, it takes a certain kind of mental fortitude to overcome all that and emerge as probably the best local product of the last decade. More importantly though (and I think what fans of football in Newcastle will remember most) were the last few seasons where he flourished as a brilliant ball-playing defensive midfielder, and an even more so as a captain.

Who would have thought that the notorious hot-head who picked up red cards like they were some collectible shit would turn out to be the coolest dude on the pitch? (k, this story has probably been played out a few times in foobtball, but still) I'll never forget the pre-season match against Wellington when the Tiago-fueled brawl kicked off and Jobe strolled in to sort things out, only to cop a flying elbow to the back of a head from Ben Sigcxxt. Rather than murdering everyone on the pitch then and there, he picked himself up, didn't whinge, and got on with his job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNzCjd1OVdM

la bazzle
31-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Legend

sh10
31-01-2013, 11:21 PM
well said PeteC, thanks for your service Jobey-one

plague
31-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Love Jobe.
Well said M-Man.

militiamon
01-02-2013, 12:04 AM
He has a brother called Jet ffs. How Newy can you get?

I wish him luck with his acting and comedy career.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Simon_Pegg_SXSW_2,_2011.jpg

The Dunster
01-02-2013, 01:22 AM
One of the most down to earth professional athletes you would ever meet and one of my all-time favourite players. Hard to imagine finding a replacement.

Football is us
01-02-2013, 01:57 AM
Jobe, you've served Newy so well. The goal above was a screamer. The work rate you have demonstrated over the years is second to none. Well done and good luck.

WolfMan
01-02-2013, 06:01 AM
100% respect for Jobe.

I will admit, in the early days of reckless aggression and red-card mayhem, I didn't see his value. Over the last few years, he has completely changed my opinion of him as a player, and a man. He made the Jets "tick" in a way that evidently couldn't be reproduced by any of our other squad members.

Cool, calm and composed, was exactly what the club needed and his contribution to football in Newcastle as a whole will remain, no matter what his future holds.

On the off chance that Jobe reads this, I wish you the very best in whatever you decide to do. I hope to see you playing football in the A-League again soon, but if not - Thanks for the Memories

Jeterpool
01-02-2013, 07:24 AM
I admit I didn't rate Jobe when he first started playing and would shudder everytime he took the field for us, but in the last few years his game has developed and he has become a more mature and controlled footballer. He won me over.

If he hasn't been playing with heart for 12 months, then I can imagine the sort of performance we could have been getting! I certainly thought he was the only one showing ANY heart earlier this season when we were struggling to win.

I think having Kasey Wehrman around was the best thing that had happened to him because it took his game to the enxt level.

Well done Jobe and all the best for your future. You served your club well.

Bon
01-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Heartwarming to get to work and find this sort of thread..
Its all true, Jobe is a true Newy legend.. Straight out of Tronno.. I wish him all the best..

Tommyjet
01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Well said militiamon, and like most others have said really enjoyed watching his last few seasons, shame his early career was blighted by many injuries because he was quite athletic as well as his immense skill set, hope I see him around to shake his hand

pv4
01-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Straight out of Tronno..

http://i48.tinypic.com/xga6m8.jpg

Nelson Bay Road
01-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Always been classy even since the days of playing against him in the u/10b for tronno against the bay, when he used to razz...
He is newy!!
Disappoitning to see him go for mine

hawk
01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
coast wont go the poach?

belchardo
01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
thanks jobe. don't go to the coast. also, don't become like thompson.

dink
01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks Jobe, was never a fan but I still have respect for a guy how played over 100 games for the club.

stopper2
01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
That's probably a fair comment from militiamon that Jobe is the best local product of the past decade. Stu was rated higher when they were younger but he faded away well before he turned 25. Jobe on the other hand was playing his best football the last 3-4 seasons and was finally getting acknowledged by commentators and fans alike as being a consistently strong performer for the Jets. It's just a shame that he will probably not realise his full potential as the injury concerns both niggling and serious look to have finally taken their toll on both his mind and body.

Grimario
01-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Have loved him ever since he bought a phone from my best mate when he worked at Network Communications in Tronno, some years ago.

Pretty much echo the sentiments of everyone in this thread. Almost felt he was a liability early on, rash tackles, the temper et al. Really matured over the past two seasons, gutted that he has gone.

Totally reserve the right to reverse this opinion if he signs for the gypos or turns into Matty T.

shagga
03-02-2013, 10:43 PM
My information is that when Heart approached Jobe a few weeks back about leaving the Jets in the transfer window he was assured by the EGG HEAD that he was wanted next year. A couple of weeks went by without a contract renewal and when he fronted the EGG HEAD about it he stated he had changed his mind and that Jobe wasn't wanted next year at all. THe EGG HEAD is an arrogant arsehole that needs to be punted at the earliest convenience.

seldom
03-02-2013, 11:15 PM
contract paid in full as long as he doesn't sign for another A league club until next year perhaps ?

selassie
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
My information is that when Heart approached Jobe a few weeks back about leaving the Jets in the transfer window he was assured by the EGG HEAD that he was wanted next year. A couple of weeks went by without a contract renewal and when he fronted the EGG HEAD about it he stated he had changed his mind and that Jobe wasn't wanted next year at all. THe EGG HEAD is an arrogant arsehole that needs to be punted at the earliest convenience.

lol. what if your information is wrong?

lil_masi
04-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Probably before Caravella was released and we signed him. I prefer him to Jobe anyway, more technical and way better passing range.

seldom
04-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Probably before Caravella was released and we signed him. I prefer him to Jobe anyway, more technical and way better passing range.

Haters in the "Thanks Jobe" thread.......what's next ?

q-money
04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
is "more technical" an empirical assessment?

what is being quantified here? how many stepovers you do? how much tackling you shirk for time on the massage table? (jobe was pretty good at that mind you)