PDA

View Full Version : Women's Zone Premier League

Osvaldo
04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Any info on this competition?

demon
04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
If we already had Northern running the claimed elite womens comp with the Herald Cup why on earth are the Assoc trying to make out their is a second elite division??

The Herald Cup doesn't even have a reserve grade so is this really just a revamp of Womens A Grade under the Assoc's. And why are clubs like Wallsend being granted sides when they havent even fielded any womens sides for the last 4-5 years at least???

A comp for the sake of a name it seems rather than a considered attempt at building up the local women's leagues.

EH9
04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
WPL will have reserve grade this year???

demon
04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
WPL will have reserve grade this year???
Thats good news (finally), if so though that just makes this Assoc comp even more questionable. WPL clubs will be trying to find suitable players and then having to compete with an entire new comp run by Zone Assoc's. And as I said then offer positions to clubs that have shown no interest in Women's football like Wallsend.

Is there that little communication and planning between these groups??

seldom
04-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Hangon...think they may be question marks after his statement :confused:

EH9
05-02-2013, 08:02 AM
The basis for the WPL reserve grade is being drawn from the existing U18 teams most clubs had with the addition of an overage element. I agree with your sentiments about lack of communication and how things have occurred because one of the existing WPL teams, Charlestown, withdrew from the WPL this season because they couldn't get enough players to fill their 2 squads!

demon
05-02-2013, 01:50 PM
.... Charlestown, withdrew from the WPL this season because they couldn't get enough players to fill their 2 squads!

How many times have we seen clubs enter/withdraw from this competition? Magic win the comp then refuse to enter next season was a disgrace, other clubs seem to just decide its all too hard (teams revolve around players/coaches perhaps rather than the actual club).

Perhaps both the The Herald Cup clubs and the new WZPL clubs need to be asked to sign 3 years agreements with a financial penalty if they decline to field sides in any given year. Give clubs, coaches and players some stability at least knowing the comp would be there for set periods until it can be self sustaining.

EH9
05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Women's football seems slightly different to Men's football in the way that if one certain player or coach packs their bags then so do most of the rest of that team. This may occur in the men's game, but the quality of men's football means that this is less likely to cause a team to fold etc.

I give credit to the likes of Valentine and Merewether for their commitment to the competition.

boz-monaut
05-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Cooks Hill are aiming to have a team in this competition

at this stage we're only fielding the one women's team this season

late_to_the_game
05-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Ok, I can shed a little light on this:

WPL, there was a proposal to change the WPL this year to include an U18 team and an U16 team, looking to mirror - to a degree - what the FFA is aiming for with the NBN clubs. There it will end up being 1sts, U20, U18, U16.
Merewether opposed this, and asked that we only change to 1st's + 18's. This is a big improvement for the competition, as it creates competition for places and gives the coaches some flexibility.
When Magic had a team, and were leading the competition a few years ago, the manager was complaining about only getting 4 players to training.....

To be honest, it also suited us as we won the U18A's last year, but were not so strong in the 16's. We also felt that the U16's could be introduced next year (or the year after) once the 18's were sorted.

Charlestown to my knowledge did not have any other women’s/girls teams - so when they needed to create the U18's they struggled. I have been told they had 10 WPL and 4 U18's registered - not sure how true this is.
Valentine, Merewether and Adamstown all had U18A teams last year.

ZPL - This is really just an evolution of women’s football to follow where men’s already is.
Merewether partly created the seed that started this, as last season we won All Age A's, and the All age B's was two Merewether teams facing off. Under normal promotion practices, we may have seen 3 Merewether teams in A grade.....

So ZPL will be a 1st's and Reserves structure - probably running in the same way as ID3.

To get the comp off the ground though, they needed to get six clubs to sign up. Hence probably a willingness to take who ever was game. South Wallsend has a strong girls program, so maybe Wallsend are sucking some of them up?

The good thing is that women’s football is slowly evolving, last season’s WPL was the highest standard yet, and with the teams now effectively having a reserves team, this year will be a big step up again.

seldom
06-02-2013, 02:18 AM
But is there true development or clubs just tryin to win somefin ?

EH9
06-02-2013, 06:55 AM
But is there true development or clubs just tryin to win somefin ?

Clubs chasing the big bucks on offer for winning it! hahahahahaha

demon
07-02-2013, 03:06 PM
To get the comp off the ground though, they needed to get six clubs to sign up. Hence probably a willingness to take who ever was game. South Wallsend has a strong girls program, so maybe Wallsend are sucking some of them up?

That could be a very interesting mix of personalities between those involved at those two clubs lol

Mumbler
11-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Uni Women are looking for goalkeepers for all teams if anyone out there is interested. Pre season at Empire Park Wednesday nights at 6 pm if you want to check it out :wink:

chocolate soldier
11-02-2013, 10:17 PM
so who are the confirmed teams entering into the competition?

demon
12-02-2013, 10:05 AM
so who are the confirmed teams entering into the competition?

Confirmation comes when each club submits nine registered players on MFC and signature sheet to their association. Only 9 are needed to confirm a side in a competition usually but I imagine Russell Henry is watching this situation very closely as it will only take once club to drop out and the idea will fall over before it ever begins.

And the girls will then be rushing to find alternative teams if that did occur. This is why I questioned why clubs who already had Womens All Age depth are not leading this and at least one club who hasnt fielded any womens sides in many years is. I think that just proves this idea was another Association not club led idea rushed through over summer instead of being worked on over a season to allow the best opportunity for success.

chocolate soldier
12-02-2013, 12:36 PM
i would say that there may be a few clubs that are happy to sit back and let the first season pass, sort out any problems that it may have along the way, and come in next year when it is all fixed and running smoothly. this would also allow them the chance to prepare themselves better, but run the risk of missing out on acceptance next year also

Reds Forever
12-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Confirmation comes when each club submits nine registered players on MFC and signature sheet to their association. Only 9 are needed to confirm a side in a competition usually but I imagine Russell Henry is watching this situation very closely as it will only take once club to drop out and the idea will fall over before it ever begins.

And the girls will then be rushing to find alternative teams if that did occur. This is why I questioned why clubs who already had Womens All Age depth are not leading this and at least one club who hasnt fielded any womens sides in many years is. I think that just proves this idea was another Association not club led idea rushed through over summer instead of being worked on over a season to allow the best opportunity for success.

9 players registered is still well short of filling a squad for 2 grades. Seems farcical. Little thought seems to have gone into this. Should wait another year and give clubs chance to build up.

Reds Forever
16-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Any word if this comp is going ahead?

late_to_the_game
25-03-2013, 10:04 PM
It is going ahead, Merewether teams have not been kicked back into AAW. Still don't know the complete makeup yet.

Osvaldo
04-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Any news on this comp, teams entered etc

oneeye
04-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Any news on this comp, teams entered etc

Heard Valentine pulled out leaving 5 Clubs.

Dont know who they are but I heard they might be
Merewether, Cardiff, Warners Bay, Thornton and University ??

Reds Forever
04-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Wallsend I think are in it. They played trial a few weeks ago against Uni.

Captain_Carl
19-11-2021, 08:17 AM
The women’s game has grown at a rapid rate since the last post was published in this thread. More grounds required.