Tommyjet
06-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Yes please

goaliepersempre
06-02-2013, 10:18 AM
indeed yes

MFKS
06-02-2013, 10:21 AM
So PV4 how many games have you seen from a Pappas coached side???

plague
06-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Pappas OUT.

(Just thought I'd get in first)

q-money
06-02-2013, 10:33 AM
can't believe people thought ernie merrick wouldn't fit in here

he is the ultimate newy dream, passing forward all the time, tryin' hard, kickin' ass and takin' names all day

he would mould GVE's team of mutant teenagers into a well oiled battle hardened machine

merrick in

plague
06-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Don't forget the Anglo accent.
Him and Terry Butcher together phwoooaaarrrrr!!!!!!

parksey
06-02-2013, 11:56 AM
merrick would be great. people seem to have some perception that his teams didn't play good football but or that he relied on archie to score goals or some shit. they won 2 championships and had played some of the best football in the first years of the comp.

BodyNovo
06-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Pappas

bloke knows what to do.

pv4
06-02-2013, 04:22 PM
i believe there's only 1 p in the middle of his name. papas not pappas

#theimportantshitcovered #allnightlong

scozzygt
06-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Peter McGuiness, :grin:

stopper2
06-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Papas as coach......WTF!!!
What I've seen and heard of him is that he is another of these arrogant grubs who think that you have to strike fear into your players in order to be a good coach.
A big NO THANKS.

seldom
06-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Not the answer...unless of course we need a few more AIS lads

seldom
06-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Noticed on the northern site coaches selected for the emerging jets sides...usual suspects O'sullivan etc. Wonder how many actually bothered to apply ?

06-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Not the answer...unless of course we need a few more AIS lads

+ 1

militiamon
07-02-2013, 12:05 AM
can't believe people thought ernie merrick wouldn't fit in here

he is the ultimate newy dream, passing forward all the time, tryin' hard, kickin' ass and takin' names all day

he would mould GVE's team of mutant teenagers into a well oiled battle hardened machine

merrick in

merrick would be great. people seem to have some perception that his teams didn't play good football but or that he relied on archie to score goals or some shit. they won 2 championships and had played some of the best football in the first years of the comp.

Yes and yes. I especially love the rewriting of history where Merrick's teams somehow played bad football as opposed to the reality where they played the competition's best and most attacking football. Most racist shit out tbh.

Seriously, you know the bloke would just love to come back and win things for fun just to stick it to the haterz.

BodyNovo
09-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Papas!!

The man is the bloke to go with

Vandenberg13
09-03-2013, 04:11 PM
if this happens, il buy the whole squadron memberships (notsrs) i love papas, great guy, great coach
exactly what we need

RedMexican
09-03-2013, 07:34 PM
if this happens, il buy the whole squadron memberships (notsrs) i love papas, great guy, great coach
exactly what we need

Why not ? Reckon if you asked your dad he would ?

GazFish35
09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Pffft.

I'm still waiting for terry venables

scozzygt
09-03-2013, 08:54 PM
He is such a high profile coach with a proven track record?
Cannot believe tha shit on here.
:sigh:

13-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Papas.....No...

pv4
28-05-2013, 12:56 PM
dude just signed for dempo sc in india

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/272508,aussie-coach-papas-signs-for-i-league-giants.aspx

Aussie coach Papas signs for I-League giants

By Kathy Stone
May 27 2013 20:17

RISING Aussie coach Arthur Papas has been snapped up by five-time Indian champions, Dempo SC.

It is understood the club will officially announce a three-year deal with the former Victorian Premier League Coach of the Year within the next 48 hours.
Papas will move from his base in Calcutta to north Goa where he’ll be responsible for rejuvenating the aging squad which finished a disappointing fifth last season.

The ambitious 32-year-old revealed he’s planning a raid on the A-League ranks to provide the requisite on-field experience for the young players brought in.

Simon Colosimo (Melbourne Heart), Dani Sanchez (Wellington Phoenix) and former Perth Glory striker Billy Mehmet, who has terminated his contract with Bangkok Glass, are among those in his sights.

Papas has enjoyed a successful 12-month introduction to football on the subcontinent since being head-hunted by former Australia Technical Director Rob Baan who took up a similar role in India.

He has won high praise for his work with the youth development squad Pailan Arrows and the nation’s U22 squad, and picked up a nomination for Indian Coach of the Year (awarded to Pune FC’s Derrick Pereira).

But after attracting interest from the I-League’s top clubs the former Newcastle Jets assistant coach says he’s delighted at the prospect of taking the reins at one of the true giants of Indian football.

“Dempo is a really big club in India – it’s one of the most successful clubs in the I-league but they haven’t rejuvenated the club,” he told au.fourfourtwo.com.

“I wanted to get back into club coaching and this club is in a really interesting position. The biggest thing right now is just to assess the squad and bring down to the average age not only for next season but for the seasons ahead as well.

“A lot of (the team) are former international players who’ve been very good for their country but the reality is it’s hard to achieve with an aging squad when you’re playing in such hot conditions.

“The chairman wants me to bring in younger players and lift the professionalism of the whole club.”

The Whites have been crowned I-League champions three times (most recently in 2011-12) and took out the forerunner National Football League twice, but last season saw the family-owned club produce its worst finish in seven years.

Papas says there will be greater investment in the club’s youth set-up but concedes the foreign veterans he’s targeting won’t do much to lower the age of his squad.

“They’re not young but the thing is my Indian players will be and they need to right kind of experienced players around them,” he said.

“If all goes well some of the young players who are in my U22 and Arrows team will come across. I’ll probably look for between four or five players. The main thing is not to bring all of them across because then they don’t all get to play and that’s not doing them any service.”

Alwyn George, the Football Players’ Association of India Young Player of the Year, has already flagged his hope of following Papas if he can engineer a way out of his contract with the Arrows.

“I have learned many a thing from him,” the 21-year-old told goal.com. “He has been a great guide and has helped me on and off the field whenever I faced any problem. I look forward to having him again as my coach sometime in future.”

Papas has been back in his home town of Melbourne for the past two weeks and depending on the format for the new season, which is under review, may not return to India until the second week of July. Then it’s all systems go.

“I’m off the bus which has been travelling nicely and back on the roller coaster of first team football again,” he said. “It’s going to be a good challenge but I’m up for it to be honest.”

i wonder if gve went to a different club how many of his kids would openly state they want to get out of their contract somehow to follow him

Porett
06-07-2013, 01:21 AM
hmm they want to stock up on youth huh......I may know a guy.

hawk
07-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Papas!!

The man is the bloke to go with

does his best work making pizza

BodyNovo
06-03-2015, 08:43 AM
getting back on the bandwagon now he is coming home.

come the **** on

he's the man to take us out of this shit.

Jeterpool
06-03-2015, 08:47 AM

come the **** on

What attributes does he have that make you believe this? I know he was previously involved with our youth but I never saw any of their matches.

This is a genuine question, BTW, not a dig/pisstake.

Grimario
06-03-2015, 08:49 AM
What attributes does he have that make you believe this? I know he was previously involved with our youth but I never saw any of their matches.

He's just spent 3 years in India. Assisted in the rebuild of their national youth system, got nominated for a bunch of awards and spent a season learning under Zico.

And his #1 achievement is not being Stubbins.

BodyNovo
06-03-2015, 08:55 AM

the year he was the youth coach here in the state league. I went to all his games and i am of the opinion that he has both the man management and tactical attributes.

one game in particular standouts (now i know this is a youth game but it was still impressive to what he did). They were playing hamilton olympic and olympic had obviously made the decision that they were going to muscle them out of the game and for 60 minutes they did that and were leading comfortably 1-0.

to compound matters he had jacob pepper sent off. Papas immediately when this happened called connor chapman over, had about a 30 second chat with him, put him straight in the middle of the park and changed the formation around. 30 minutes later youth won 3-1, some of the best coaching i'd ever seen tbh.

also the blokes storyline is very "newy".

i could find the article, but its along the lines of he went to the AIS asked for a job and they laughed at him and told him that he was way off the minimum required standards. 4 years later he had a degree, highest coaching badges, took a VPL side to a GF, etc.

If they wanted to take a risk on someone when they went with stubbins they should have picked this bloke because his football apprenticeship has been excellent plus he now has 3 years experience in another culture.

The Camel
06-03-2015, 09:10 AM
the year he was the youth coach here in the state league. I went to all his games and i am of the opinion that he has both the man management and tactical attributes.

one game in particular standouts (now i know this is a youth game but it was still impressive to what he did). They were playing hamilton olympic and olympic had obviously made the decision that they were going to muscle them out of the game and for 60 minutes they did that and were leading comfortably 1-0.

to compound matters he had jacob pepper sent off. Papas immediately when this happened called connor chapman over, had about a 30 second chat with him, put him straight in the middle of the park and changed the formation around. 30 minutes later youth won 3-1, some of the best coaching i'd ever seen tbh.

i could find the article, but its along the lines of he went to the AIS asked for a job and they laughed at him and told him that he was way off the minimum required standards. 4 years later he had a degree, highest coaching badges, took a VPL side to a GF, etc.

If they wanted to take a risk on someone when they went with stubbins they should have picked this bloke because his football apprenticeship has been excellent plus he now has 3 years experience in another culture.

Plus more importantly HE IS NOT STUBBINS!

boz-monaut
06-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Papas sounds like a really good manager

so why the haemorrhaging fúck would want he to come to the Jets?

Grimario
06-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Papas sounds like a really good manager

so why the haemorrhaging fúck would want he to come to the Jets?

Massive potential.

Jeterpool
06-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Sounds impressive. Thanks.

Can we tweet this to the club?

joel31
06-03-2015, 02:17 PM
He's just spent 3 years in India. Assisted in the rebuild of their national youth system, got nominated for a bunch of awards and spent a season learning under Zico.

And his #1 achievement is not being Stubbins.
He left as assistant to Zico not that long into the season.
He got alot of blame from fans of the club

parksey
06-03-2015, 02:21 PM
if he's so good why was he coaching in india?

joel31
06-03-2015, 02:24 PM
there are 12 senior professional coaching positions in Australia and there are many good coaches who don't have the experience to get a job so they head overseas.

pv4
06-03-2015, 02:33 PM

http://icpurple.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/MOney-Bag1.jpg

joel31
06-03-2015, 02:35 PM
http://icpurple.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/MOney-Bag1.jpg
the money at Dempo wouldn't have been that great. He wanted opportunities to coach professionally and overseas was the only way.

plague
06-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Hey guys just reading today about Mike Mulvey coaching 2nd div in Malaysia having to put up with El Hadj Djiof.
Looking forward to Stubbins moving all that horseshit forward tho.

Cheers,
Plague.

joel31
06-03-2015, 02:50 PM
If only we hired Mulvey

terry
08-03-2015, 11:23 AM
exactly what we need

yeah, Newy is a Vandenberg free zone. try down the coast. all the best

BodyNovo
22-05-2015, 08:24 AM

come the **** on

back on the bandwagon again.

Come on FFA, sort ya shit out and give this bloke a go.

militiamon
23-05-2015, 05:43 PM
Excellent bump once again.

The only solution to this crisis (apart from appointing Griff to some lifetime role at the club).

stopper2
23-05-2015, 06:49 PM
All of the coaches mentioned.....Rudan, Mulvey, Okon, Vidmar,Aloisi etc. have a bit of a profile and I would say that most people involved in football in Newcastle would have heard of probably all of them. In contrast if you were to mention Pappas, most people would probably think of local gun in the Youth team Reece Pappas. Don't think many would recall that he was the Youth coach here for a few months over 3-4 years ago and has spent time in India working for their fledgling Federation.
I think we need to consider all options but lets face it a coach with a "big name" like Okon or Mulvey for eg. is always going to be able to attract bigger names in the initial stages of our clubs reconstruction than someone like Pappas.
Unless someone can convince me otherwise I think Pappas would be a massive gamble which this club can ill afford to take

belchardo
24-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Mulvey I don't want. Had a go, didn't do so well. Same for aloisi.

Vidmar, maybe, did reasonably well in adelaide, and may just give the townsfolk of newcastle a new moniker.

Okon, like the newy connection, I'm assuming he's got the relevant tickets and been doing some coaching, so he would probably be my preferred option, with rudan second.

Rudan seems to be well spoken of as a coach. I'll tolerate his "smug git" persona as long as he's winning. First loss and I'll be starting the "rudan out" thread.

My money is on rudan.

stopper2
24-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Mulvey I don't want. Had a go, didn't do so well. Same for aloisi.

Vidmar, maybe, did reasonably well in adelaide, and may just give the townsfolk of newcastle a new moniker.

Okon, like the newy connection, I'm assuming he's got the relevant tickets and been doing some coaching, so he would probably be my preferred option, with rudan second.

Rudan seems to be well spoken of as a coach. I'll tolerate his "smug git" persona as long as he's winning. First loss and I'll be starting the "rudan out" thread.

My money is on rudan.

Wrong Vidmar, Aurelio who was with Adelaide is now an Assistant under Ange with the Socceroos and not a candidate. Tony is the one in question but I'm not even aware that he has coached anywhere

Tommyjet
24-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Wrong Vidmar, Aurelio who was with Adelaide is now an Assistant under Ange with the Socceroos and not a candidate. Tony is the one in question but I'm not even aware that he has coached anywhere

Tony coaches the joeys

MFKS
24-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Reference to Vidmar was to Aurelio not to Tony

Despite being Olyroos coach and an Assistant to Ange I am sure he is neither indispensable and has sucked enough of the FFA mango to be looked after for HAL spot

Add in he done alright in his go at the Pissants

plague
24-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Rudan will be Stubbins v.2

Nope.

militiamon
24-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Mulvey I don't want. Had a go, didn't do so well.

Didn't go so well? He did win both the Premiership and Championship with Brisbane...

Wish we had a coach who didn't go so well.

The Dunster
24-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Rudan will be Stubbins v.2

Nope.

Agree. We don't want to risk anyone that is untested at this level. There would be plenty of talent in Europe with far better credentials than Rudan or any of these other clowns being mentioned.

leftrightout
24-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Agree. We don't want to risk anyone that is untested at this level
You are in the Papas in thread, as far as i know he isn't tested at this level either?

hawk
25-05-2015, 08:19 PM
try before we buy?

BodyNovo
26-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Back on topic

Get him in

Give him free reign

leftrightout
27-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Back on topic

Get him in

Give him free reign

Can i ask how much you really know about him?
I watch a lot of football and i don't know the bloke besides the few in here that think he is the savour of football.

Im not having a go, if he legit seems like a good fit and is capable then im all for it. What makes him different experience-wise to Stubbins before he signed for us?

plague
27-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Can i ask how much you really know about him?
I watch a lot of football and i don't know the bloke besides the few in here that think he is the savour of football.

Im not having a go, if he legit seems like a good fit and is capable then im all for it. What makes him different experience-wise to Stubbins before he signed for us?

He has a wog name and everyone knows wogs are better at football than Anglos.

cc: Craig Foster

/taken from the Newcastle Herald comments secrion.

MFKS
27-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Arthur Papas has resigned as head coach of Indian I-League side Dempo SC with the former Jets and Heart assistant coach set to return to Australia.

The 35-year-old AFC Pro-License Holder enjoyed a three-year expedition in India.

This also included being an assistant to Brazilian legend Zico at FC Goa in the recently completed inaugural season of the Indian Super League.

“I wish to thank Mr. Shrinivas Dempo, support staff and the players for the time I’ve enjoyed at Dempo SC, and wish the Club continued success for the rest of the season and beyond,” said Papas.

“The decision to leave has not been an easy, and it’s one I made one month ago solely for personal reasons.

“I’ve had a remarkable journey in India in a number of varied and challenging roles. It’s been a great learning experience for me both in a football sense and more broadly as a life experience.

“I’ve made many lifelong friendships here and I will forever keep a keen eye on the progress of football in the region.”

Papas’ journey on the subcontinent began with the All India Football Federation in 2012, at the invitation of former Football Federation Australia technical boss Rob Baan.

The former Newcastle Jets Assistant and AIS Scholarship Coach was charged with a restructure of India’s youth development programs, before graduating to dual roles with the nation’s Olympic team and Pailan Arrows – the national youth team that competed in the top flight I-League.

Papas’ efforts with the Arrows saw him nominated for coach of the year honors, despite being the youngest ever manager in league history.

India’s under-22 team achieved its best ever results on the Asian stage under Papas’ tutelage.

The 2011 Victorian Premier League Coach of the Year joined Goa-based Dempo SC in 2013 and in that period guided the Club to a top four in the league as well as reaching the semi-finals and finals of the Federation Cup in 2014 and 2015 respectively.

During his two-year stint with Dempo, Papas identified and nurtured a host of young domestic talent, with as many as 11 players selected as part of India’s national team setups.

“I’ve had a hectic few years, and I’m looking forward to some down time before I take up my next football challenge,” said Papas.

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/aussie-coach-papas-back-in-oz-after-indian-stint/58gmod03rje317few72v17a3v#h0yLPC62BXm3OAJS.99.

Blackmac79
27-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Papas in.

joel31
27-05-2015, 03:59 PM
He needs more experience first or he'll be Stubbins 2.0

Pico
27-05-2015, 05:46 PM
He needs more experience first or he'll be Stubbins 2.0

Experience where?

militiamon
27-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Get him and Griff in.

Hunter403
27-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Haven't we missed the most obvious candidate? A man whose football knowledge exceeds that of all others. A man with an ego the size of a planet. A man that knows all that ails Australian football and whose advice, if we mere mortals heed it, will see Australia win the world cup.

Yes. He does exist and his name is Craig Foster.
:wanker:

Thomas477
27-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Haven't we missed the most obvious candidate? A man whose football knowledge exceeds that of all others. A man with an ego the size of a planet. A man that knows all that ails Australian football and whose advice, if we mere mortals heed it, will see Australia win the world cup.

Princey:lulz:

The Camel
28-05-2015, 04:29 PM

Thought you were talking about GVE

Nou Camp
28-05-2015, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE
:wanker:[/QUOTE]

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Craig_Foster

MFKS
02-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Bloke just turfed Gypos out of the FFA Cup

Build the man a statue
Sack Millertime and

Bring him in

furns
02-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Bloke just turfed Gypos out of the FFA Cup

Build the man a statue
Sack Millertime and

Bring him inShort memories member
Miller still ahead on wins and goals scored

MFKS
03-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Short memories member
Miller still ahead on wins and goals scored
Miller couldn't beat the Gypos last week

Couldn't beat them in Rd 6 last season either

Pappas is 100% in his record of beating Gypos

That a stat that even Plague would appreciate

lquiquer
03-08-2016, 11:39 AM

Miller 100% winning record at Shittongue.....:grin:

Jeterpool
03-08-2016, 11:53 AM

You know who also has a 100% winning record against the Gypos....Craig Deans.

To make it better, Deans has never allowed the Gypos to score a goal in the matches he's coached

plague
03-08-2016, 12:19 PM
You know who also has a 100% winning record against the Gypos....Craig Deans.

To make it better, Deans has never allowed the Gypos to score a goal in the to are matches he's coached

See these are stats that matter in football look at them they are beautiful I bet you GVE has heaps of possession and assists against the Gypos.

If Tinks ever just bit the bullet and gave us the Deans/Pappas coaching dream team we'd finally get our ****ing club back.

furns
08-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Bump

Has to be the front runner

Roundball Enthusiast
08-09-2016, 09:49 AM
#Papasin
#Giffin

Couscous
08-09-2016, 09:59 AM
I liked listening to Papas on the Daily Football Show, when he wasn't being interrupted by the hosts' long, rambling non-questions. I'd be very happy if he got the job. The squad's already looking good. He should do well with it.

I'd also be satisfied with most of the names mentioned in Furns' article.

But I'm pretty sure we'll get Herbert or some ****wit instead.

boz-monaut
08-09-2016, 10:20 AM
far too sensible a decision

it'll never happen

bring back Stubbins

hawk
08-09-2016, 05:24 PM
is this pizzas bloke any good?

boz-monaut
08-09-2016, 06:47 PM
is this pizzas bloke any good?

https://media.giphy.com/media/4WHkXdDx8wjS0/giphy.gif

hawk
08-09-2016, 10:55 PM
http://rlv.zcache.jp/%E5%8F%AB%E3%81%B3%E3%81%AE%E4%BA%BA%E7%A8%AE%E5%B 7%AE%E5%88%A5%E4%B8%BB%E7%BE%A9%E8%80%85_%E3%83%97 %E3%83%AA%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88-rcef917ccee54432689588b3ba49a9411_wad_8byvr_324.jp g

yawn

lil_masi
03-06-2021, 02:56 PM
Could finally be happening!!

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/papas-in-line-to-replace-deans-and-spearhead-newcastle-rebuild

Thomas477
03-06-2021, 03:13 PM
Could finally be happening!!

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/papas-in-line-to-replace-deans-and-spearhead-newcastle-rebuild

3 team or 4 team consortium?

Good to see Deans knows he’s way out of his depth, but also the cynic in me says what’s the chances of Papas doing good then signing for west Sydney when Robbo gets sacked?

lil_masi
03-06-2021, 03:15 PM
Deans announces he's stepping down as coach at the end of the season!!

Jeterpool
03-06-2021, 03:32 PM
Bring in Papas

Mark325
03-06-2021, 03:32 PM
Deans announces he's stepping down as coach at the end of the season!!

I do hope this season doesn’t cloud the fact that for all his faults Deans has stuck by the club and been there when we needed and a lot of us here where happy to see him get a chance this season. He’s proven he isn’t up to the standard as full
time coach and that’s fine.

Bremsstrahlung
04-06-2021, 07:11 AM
Fox just mentioned Pappas is being rumoured to be the new coach.

The Dunster
04-06-2021, 09:16 AM
I hope he gets a better player budget and conditions to work in than Deans did.

Because I can't imagine anyone being successful having to deal with the shit Deans had to.

q-money
04-06-2021, 09:35 AM
poor old dingo, forever the weed carrier

Bremsstrahlung
04-06-2021, 09:35 AM
I hope he gets a better player budget and conditions to work in than Deans did.

Because I can't imagine anyone being successful having to deal with the shit Deans had to.

I mean even the fact we are planning for next season is better than what Deans had.

How can you sign a player even for the season if you’re not sure you will exist in a weeks time.
I feel for Deans. I don’t think it was a fair or reasonable assessment of his ability. That said, some aspects such as selection and tactics can be questioned. Good on him/club for making a call early. Can focus on planning for next year

A fresh face may provide some objectivity to selections and links to improve the squad.

04-06-2021, 02:01 PM
Bring in Papas

Serious question, Why ?.

Whats he done that every time a vacancy comes up he gets a mention. I just don't see anywhere in his Resume that spells out stand out candidate. Candidate yep for sure but nothing outstanding.

Frodo
04-06-2021, 03:27 PM
Serious question, Why ?.

Whats he done that every time a vacancy comes up he gets a mention. I just don't see anywhere in his Resume that spells out stand out candidate. Candidate yep for sure but nothing outstanding.

Are you expecting us to go after Antonio Conte or something?

We need to try and do something to keep us afloat long enough for new owners to invest. Papas won't demand massive wages and has enough behind him (J1 title as assistant, a season as a J3 head coach where he won as many games as he lost and his CV is full of other decent appointments). Someone needs to take a chance on him and we have absolutely nothing to lose by signing him. We have a large number of spots to fill in our roster and no big contracts to hold us back outside of maybe NTS and Roy.

He has knowledge of the Japanese leagues and would also know more about other Asian leagues in general than most at our club right now. If these overlords we have are being honest about investing in the club next season, they would be more likely to sanction moves to appease that Asian Federation and try to fix some of the issues the league just created by walking away from this season's comp so late.

Couscous
04-06-2021, 03:52 PM
GVE has far more extensive knowledge of Australiann players than Pappas. Pappas lacks a commanding personality and struggles to manage and motivate players.

Jim
04-06-2021, 04:07 PM
GVE has far more extensive knowledge of Australiann players than Pappas. Pappas lacks a commanding personality and struggles to manage and motivate players.

Thanks Gaz

Frodo
04-06-2021, 04:12 PM

Sorry Gaz, but we all know from experience that you don't cut it. Papas may be an unknown as far as coaching in the A League, but considering our current predicament and appeal, rolling the dice on a cheap unknown is a smarter option than going back to what we know doesn't work.

04-06-2021, 04:57 PM
Sorry Gaz, but we all know from experience that you don't cut it. Papas may be an unknown as far as coaching in the A League, but considering our current predicament and appeal, rolling the dice on a cheap unknown is a smarter option than going back to what we know doesn't work.

Like GVE's backpass fest of win the possession stat and too hell with the scoreboard.

04-06-2021, 05:01 PM
Are you expecting us to go after Antonio Conte or something?

We need to try and do something to keep us afloat long enough for new owners to invest. Papas won't demand massive wages and has enough behind him (J1 title as assistant, a season as a J3 head coach where he won as many games as he lost and his CV is full of other decent appointments). Someone needs to take a chance on him and we have absolutely nothing to lose by signing him. We have a large number of spots to fill in our roster and no big contracts to hold us back outside of maybe NTS and Roy.

He has knowledge of the Japanese leagues and would also know more about other Asian leagues in general than most at our club right now. If these overlords we have are being honest about investing in the club next season, they would be more likely to sanction moves to appease that Asian Federation and try to fix some of the issues the league just created by walking away from this season's comp so late.

Just expecting the club to find the best candidate it can for the budget it sets aside for the next coaches wage. Just saying Papas in appears a too narrowed approach.

mge61
04-06-2021, 05:04 PM
Who knows Moon and Veart haven't been terrible choices at Roar and Adelaide.

Thomas477
04-06-2021, 07:43 PM
Serious question, Why ?.

Compared to Deans? Everyone was falling over themselves to give him a chance. At least Pappas has a lot more experience than Deans does.

Couscous
04-06-2021, 09:52 PM
a smarter option than going back to what we know doesn't work.

Oh, our only ever 🏆?

04-06-2021, 10:26 PM
Compared to Deans? Everyone was falling over themselves to give him a chance. At least Pappas has a lot more experience than Deans does.

And if somebody should come along and throw there hat in the ring better credentialed than Papas with a similar wage demand what then ?.

Couscous
05-06-2021, 07:26 AM
And if somebody should come along and throw there hat in the ring better credentialed than Papas with a similar wage demand what then ?.

I'm unsure whether he's prepared to give the Jets another chance.

anfield
05-06-2021, 05:25 PM
Serious question, Why ?.

I tend to agree, Every time the coaching position comes up then Papas gets mentioned as first option. So he worked under Ange, so did Scott Miller.

All I'm saying I hope they just don't rush into signing Papas without looking at all options.

Couscous
06-06-2021, 03:18 PM
Papas now linked to an assistant role with Celtic.

Which leaves us to focus on making the appointment we should have made earlier this season.

Thomas477
06-06-2021, 04:14 PM
Papas now linked to an assistant role with Celtic.

Which leaves us to focus on making the appointment we should have made earlier this season.

Gary, just let it go, you’re embarrassing yourself.

06-06-2021, 06:47 PM
Gary, just let it go, you’re embarrassing yourself.

This

06-06-2021, 06:51 PM
We will end up with the one Ange does not pick to be his 2IC out of Papa or Muscat.

mic22
08-06-2021, 04:02 PM
Rudan is free

Frodo
08-06-2021, 04:17 PM
Rudan is free

Lol. He is such a twat, so no doubt he will at the Mariners in a couple of years trying to rebuild his name.

Ghost of Plague
08-06-2021, 04:39 PM
Rudan is free

Hahahahha **** this guy the **** out of here. What a shit**** human being.

Couscous
11-06-2021, 11:06 PM
Papas not interested; likely to join Ange at Celtic.

Let's sign the manager ASAP. We have little money, but we can use time and a thoughtful, well planned preseason to our advantage.

StannyCFCJET
11-06-2021, 11:18 PM
As long as its not Rudan

Jetmaster
12-06-2021, 12:34 AM
It's Papas

The Dunster
18-06-2021, 12:02 PM
Anything official yet on Papas as Jets Coach?

Tommyjet
18-06-2021, 02:19 PM
Anything official yet on Papas as Jets Coach?

No

Tommyjet
18-06-2021, 05:54 PM
According to twatter Arthur diles will be one of papas' assistants

18-06-2021, 10:49 PM
Good too see we will be doing things by Arthurs and not halfers for a change.

Jetmaster
28-06-2021, 07:33 AM
Papas not interested; likely to join Ange at Celtic.

Let's sign the manager ASAP. We have little money, but we can use time and a thoughtful, well planned preseason to our advantage.

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/7314965/king-arthur-jets-seal-two-year-deal-with-new-coach/?cs=12

Jeterpool
28-06-2021, 08:04 AM
Worst kept secret in Australian football is about to be confirmed.

R Ramjet
28-06-2021, 08:07 AM
The article names wellington as the 4th team in our ownership consortium with western sydney, sydney fc and western united

Jeterpool
28-06-2021, 09:01 AM
The article names wellington as the 4th team in our ownership consortium with western sydney, sydney fc and western united

That's something new.

I'm excited by the Papas appointment overall. With his experience and links I think we will have a coach that can attract a strong calibre of player to the team.

Many on here have been calling for him every time we change the coach and now he has his chance.

mge61
28-06-2021, 10:21 AM
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/7314965/king-arthur-jets-seal-two-year-deal-with-new-coach/?cs=12

Reading that article, and unless he has a magic wand, doesn’t appear to be too much to get excited about at this stage. Let’s hope it progresses a bit more positively .

Alton
28-06-2021, 03:53 PM
Reading that article, and unless he has a magic wand, doesn’t appear to be too much to get excited about at this stage. Let’s hope it progresses a bit more positively .

Ingham,Devlin,Elsey,O'Doherty gives him something to work with

turbojetfireV8
28-06-2021, 07:34 PM
The pessimist in me says don't get too excited, we're only warming him up for Wankerers when Robbo leaves, especially if Papas starts producing results there will suddenly be some clause in his contract saying WSW saw him first...

28-06-2021, 09:29 PM
The pessimist in me says don't get too excited, we're only warming him up for Wankerers when Robbo leaves, especially if Papas starts producing results there will suddenly be some clause in his contract saying WSW saw him first...

I am just as concerned when the time comes to sign any o/seas players and Mattiske has to run it by the other club owners. The pessimist in me thinks if we find a hidden gem somebody like Lederer will make sure they go to the WSW after our blokes do the grunt work.

Oldy
29-06-2021, 12:01 AM

Any other pimps want to own this hoar of a club. jeez.

Thomas477
29-06-2021, 07:02 AM
Interesting that should it be official that we sign Devlin that Wellington were happy to let him go.

StannyCFCJET
29-06-2021, 07:53 AM
Interesting that should it be official that we sign Devlin that Wellington were happy to let him go.
Didn't they make him an offer?

Bremsstrahlung
29-06-2021, 07:54 AM
I am just as concerned when the time comes to sign any o/seas players and Mattiske has to run it by the other club owners. The pessimist in me thinks if we find a hidden gem somebody like Lederer will make sure they go to the WSW after our blokes do the grunt work.

I know it’s sold as “the football operations remain confidential and up to the administrators of the club” so maybe any player within the cap is kind of up to us, but I imagine anything over that is subject to review.

Also interested how the other clubs in the ownership model feel about the ugar situation.

Jeterpool
29-06-2021, 07:55 AM

Didn't they make him an offer?

Yeah, I don't get the sense they were happy to let him go. Their fans weren't and fans of many clubs were disappointed to have missed out on him too.

I think we got the pick of the local off-contract players this year.

Buddha
29-06-2021, 08:19 AM
of course they made him an offer, he didnt want to have the uncertainty of "am i going to be based in NZ or Wollongong" and was sold on the Papas project

29-06-2021, 09:43 AM
Can we get him to have a word in the ear of Piscopo and drag him over also ?. Knowing our luck some blind bastard will still think Ridenton is a footballer and offer him a deal.

Thomas477
29-06-2021, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I don't get the sense they were happy to let him go. Their fans weren't and fans of many clubs were disappointed to have missed out on him too.

I think we got the pick of the local off-contract players this year.

I was more making the point if Wellington owned us, and we offered Devlin a better contract than them, I have more faith in us being able to sign players before our owners.

Ghost of Plague
29-06-2021, 06:43 PM
I was more making the point if Wellington owned us, and we offered Devlin a better contract than them, I have more faith in us being able to sign players before our owners.

Wasn't Devlin on the bench at the back end of their season?
Realistic chance of starting every week might have been just as valuable as cash to someone like him.

Bremsstrahlung
01-07-2021, 01:12 PM
Seems to be saying all the right things atm.
At least sounds decisive and sure of his plan.

Frodo
01-07-2021, 01:15 PM
Normally I'd be straight into his back for not having won a single game so far.

But he hasn't signed, as well as gotten rid of, any ex-gypos from our playing group. So I really can't find any fault in him just yet.

Ghost of Plague
01-07-2021, 04:47 PM
Normally I'd be straight into his back for not having won a single game so far.

But he hasn't signed, as well as gotten rid of, any ex-gypos from our playing group. So I really can't find any fault in him just yet.

The only stat that matters is the gypo +/- coefficient equation.has he signed more gypos than he has cut.

Can a stat man please find this pit for all coaches. Actually don't ill just make some numbers up to suit my argument.
One point for cutting a gypo, minus one for signing one of the filth.

From memory.

Pappas +5.
GVE 0
Money 0.
Venables 0
Merrick -1

Robinson -15

Pappas doing it correctly. Hail Griff.

boz-monaut
01-07-2021, 06:29 PM
Actually don't ill just make some numbers up to suit my argument.

Hail Griff.
this is what the internet was invented for :lulzturtle:

The Hacker
05-07-2021, 03:48 PM
Everything he is saying is positive

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/papas-wants-jets-to-be-unforgettable-as-newcastle-boss-calls-for-second-division

Grimario
05-07-2021, 03:53 PM

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/papas-wants-jets-to-be-unforgettable-as-newcastle-boss-calls-for-second-division

It's actually kind of disgusting. I can't wait till it is revealed that it's just John Hutchinson in a mask or something.

Bon
05-07-2021, 03:56 PM

Was just coming here to link this..
Interesting read!

Couscous
05-07-2021, 10:26 PM
It's grandiose.

Mark325
21-09-2021, 10:43 PM
Dunno if any of you guys joined in on the zoom meeting with Papas tonight, but honestly I'm fully sold on this bloke win or lose.

He comes off as someone who cares about the club, is playing a fun style of football and is instilling a similar philosophy in his players. I really do feel like we are in good hands as a club

StannyCFCJET
21-09-2021, 10:44 PM
Dunno if any of you guys joined in on the zoom meeting with Papas tonight, but honestly I'm fully sold on this bloke win or lose.

He comes off as someone who cares about the club, is playing a fun style of football and is instilling a similar philosophy in his players. I really do feel like we are in good hands as a club

Zoom meeting? What zoom meeting?

Mark325
22-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Zoom meeting? What zoom meeting?

Was posted about in the 'Newcastle United Jets Supporters Group' Page on Facebook

Was a very informative zoom meeting, and he apparently plans on doing another at some point

Jetmaster
22-09-2021, 11:33 AM
He also did one with all the sponsors two weeks ago.

Couscous
27-11-2021, 10:21 AM
Ange Postecoglou and his former assistant both have a weight problem.

Jetmaster
10-01-2023, 10:07 AM
Bump.

Worth a read through - kudos to the guys calling for Ernie years before he was onboard.