PDA

View Full Version : HAL Rd 22 - Newcastle Jets vs Brisbane Roar 22/2/13 k/off 7:30pm AEDST

MFKS
19-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Thread for this weeks game. Mods please feel free to add details.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z83/furns/JetsLogo.gif VS http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z83/furns/brisbane_roar_logo.jpg

2012/2013 Hyundai A-League
Season 8 Round 22
Newcastle United Jets FC vs Brisbane Roar FC

When: Friday 22nd February, 2013
Where: Hunter Stadium, 294 Turton Road, New Lambton, NSW
Kickoff: 730pm AEDST (gates open 630pm)
Tickets: https://www.proticket.com.au/event.asp?eventid=1955
Pre-match: from 4pm District Park Tennis Club, Cnr Lambton and Curley Rds Broadmeadow
Watch: LIVE on Foxsports 1 and FoxSports 1HD
Listen: ABC Newcastle 1233 or ABC Grandstand online
Tweet: @newyboys #jetsvbri

MFKS
19-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Think the result of this will come down to the levels we allow Roar to pester Birraz.

If Taylor and whoever GVE decides to put in the backline in the weekly game of musical chairs can keep the Roar away from our keeper a lot we will win. Roar defensively are a wreck and don't keep the ball as much as they once did.

I feel that GVE's playing style matches up well to Roar

furns
19-02-2013, 02:09 PM
added match details

Keep same starting XI as last week thanks Gary, except if Chapman is fit bring him in for Ritter, put Ritter at LB.

Superdylan
19-02-2013, 02:39 PM
If we play with the right mindset & structure as last week we will win.

My2BobsWorth
19-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Can't push too high in backs or we'll get arse whipped, dodged a couple of bullets last week
And can't wait for the cheer when Bridgey comes on

Grimario
20-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Hope the rain isn't as bad as forecast or I am likely to miss this being on flood watch up in Maitland :(

plague
20-02-2013, 02:06 PM
GVE confirmed Bridges starting.

Commence outrage/celebration.

Jeterpool
20-02-2013, 02:11 PM
GVE confirmed Bridges starting.

Commence outrage/celebration.

:soapbox: :yay:

Hunter403
20-02-2013, 03:46 PM
The supporters can't complain about changing the team or leaving Bridges out. I am a fan of Bridges and believe he should have been there all year. He now has the chance to prove that he still has what it takes and is worthy of a new contract. If he fails, GVE can say "I was right".

hawk
20-02-2013, 04:21 PM
The supporters can't complain about changing the team or leaving Bridges out. I am a fan of Bridges and believe he should have been there all year. He now has the chance to prove that he still has what it takes and is worthy of a new contract. If he fails, GVE can say "I was right".
He cant say he was right until he fixes all of the other team selections he goofed up on.

Buddha
20-02-2013, 04:25 PM
If we win im not taking much out of it, because Brisbane have been so poor this season. a 2-0 win against a totally dreadful Wellington team at Suncorp isn't what you would usually expect from Brisbane. I expect a scraping 2-1 win, bridges to play average but will be highlighted as 'the difference'

hawk
20-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I expect a scraping 2-1 win, bridges to play average but will be highlighted as 'the difference'
good on ya pop smeer

Blackmac79
20-02-2013, 05:43 PM
The difference to score.

Jetmaster
20-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Viva la difference !

Schultz
20-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Diff rents

Bon
20-02-2013, 07:26 PM
If we win im not taking much out of it, because Brisbane have been so poor this season. a 2-0 win against a totally dreadful Wellington team at Suncorp isn't what you would usually expect from Brisbane. I expect a scraping 2-1 win, bridges to play average but will be highlighted as 'the difference'

I watched a replay of that game today and I would say the Sheep Shaggers were pretty unlucky.. Ground was absolutely abysmal, but 2-0 definitely didn't reflect the game..
So even more reason that there is no excuses for anything other than a win on Friday..

seldom
20-02-2013, 10:04 PM
so Bridges played well last week...I take it that means he's only 1 decent game away from a 2 year contract

Mitchy
20-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Loose etc

21-02-2013, 12:56 AM
so Bridges played well last week...I take it that means he's only 1 decent game away from a 2 year contract

Music to the honourable members ears.

NewcastleForLife
21-02-2013, 02:53 AM

This. Kinda shit how we could only take one point from them in retrospect. I know it's over there and we should happy with one point, blah, blah, blah. But they're dreadful. Need to beat Brisbane this friday otherwise Tinks might as well hand back the licence again.

Ps twitter is saying if we don't lose it'll be our longest undefeated streak at home since '08. Only 6 games in a row, but still...

halo se7en
21-02-2013, 05:49 AM
Jets 4-1. Taggz hatty and long range Z bomb

Jeterpool
21-02-2013, 08:28 AM
The weather will play a factor tomorrow. If the forecast rain comes through the ground might not hold up so well. The wind will also be an issue.

If it does happen, Brisbane's "passing game" will be disrupted. We can safely revert to the long hoof.

Blackmac79
21-02-2013, 05:28 PM
The difference doesn't know how to hoof.

hawk
22-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Mulva is bringing the pressing game. hopefully the hoar will be buggered by halftime in the heavy, greasy conditions. longball will win

Grimario
22-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Anyone got a box with spare seats in it? Keen to go but seats are out in the open and wife will not happily sit through torrential rain for 2 hours :(

pv4
22-02-2013, 10:27 AM
when i'm with the family on the hill & it's raining we just duck up to the top of the eastern stand. away from rain, still good view & we've never been asked to prove we have a reserved seat there.

Grimario
22-02-2013, 10:34 AM
We are in the western, next to the players tunnel. Might see if we can sneak back a massive chunk and get out of the weather. Maybe.

BodyNovo
22-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Football Appropriate Jackets :)

Jetmaster
22-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Aussies are such pussies when it comes to wet weather !

Crowd will be poor.

Retro Jet
22-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Aussies are such pussies when it comes to wet weather !

Crowd will be poor.

Looks like I'll be in my wimp seat under cover in Bay 6.
Either that or out with the poncho and into Bay 2!
I'll try to bring Kenny Boden with me.....

sammydog
22-02-2013, 12:01 PM
We are in the western, next to the players tunnel. Might see if we can sneak back a massive chunk and get out of the weather. Maybe.

In a similar area to you, pretty sure I am going alone tonight. Family has plans to bail.

I'll be sitting in Bay 55, in the wind/rain. Its only for 90mins.

Looks nice outside at the moment.

Jeterpool
22-02-2013, 12:11 PM
In a similar area to you, pretty sure I am going alone tonight. Family has plans to bail.

I'll be sitting in Bay 55, in the wind/rain. Its only for 90mins.

Looks nice outside at the moment.

I'll be trying to do the same in 58 too.

Thinking it won't be a nice night for football.

belchardo
22-02-2013, 01:08 PM
i'll be sitting at home, dry and comfortable, with a beer. but if i lived in newcastle i would also be joining you. but i couldn't specify what bay i would be in.

Jeterpool
22-02-2013, 01:23 PM
i'll be sitting at home, dry and comfortable, with a beer. but if i lived in newcastle i would also be joining you. but i couldn't specify what bay i would be in.

If you were attending, reckon you could be choosy tonight

Mr_Magoo
22-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Football Appropriate Jackets :)

boz-monaut
22-02-2013, 02:44 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/558450_10151395031595479_526630478_n.jpg

Grimario
22-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Interesting burst of wind and sideways rain just now. Stopped completely though. BOM says it is slow moving so might get here later than expected.

My2BobsWorth
22-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Try this one, BOM is too slow. Doesn't look too good.
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar/nsw/newcastle

sammydog
22-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Try this one, BOM is too slow. Doesn't look too good.
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar/nsw/newcastle

The weather looks to have timed it perfectly for kickoff. Going to be awesome.

Port on standby to warm me up when I get home.

Grimario
22-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Absolutely bucketing down in town right now. Think some of the windows on the east side of the building are leaking, whoo.

hawk
22-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Looks like I'll be in my wimp seat under cover in Bay 6.
Either that or out with the poncho and into Bay 2!
I'll try to bring Kenny Boden with me.....

The boys/oldies be in a box on halfway surely? As for wet weather, more the better as long as no washout.

hawk
22-02-2013, 04:44 PM

Port on standby to warm me up when I get home.

And a rum at the game.

weston
22-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Only one change overall...

Newcastle Jets Starting XI: 3. Zenon Caravella, 5. Dominik Ritter, 8. Ruben Zadkovich (c), 9. Emile Heskey, 12. Josh Brillante, 13. Sam Gallaway, 14. Taylor Regan, 19. Michael Bridges, 20. Mark Birighitti (gk), 22. Adam Taggart, 23. Ryan Griffiths.
Bench: 1. Ben Kennedy (gk), 17. James Virgili, 25. Mitch Cooper, 26. Andrew Hoole

Andrew Hoole will be on the bench in place of Craig Goodwin, who will play Youth on Saturday to gain confidence ahead of the stretch of games on the road

belchardo
22-02-2013, 07:19 PM
gah, anybody else have fox problems?

goaliepersempre
22-02-2013, 07:34 PM
The wireless still works :p

Gah 14 hour day on my last day at work :(

Can't make the game only leaving now. But will be listening to Aaron all the way home

Muswellbrookian
22-02-2013, 08:11 PM
How are we playing? Stats not stacking up too nicely on the Fox Sports Match Centre. I see that we've failed to put on our accurate shooting boots - again.

weston
22-02-2013, 08:18 PM
How are we playing? Stats not stacking up too nicely on the Fox Sports Match Centre. I see that we've failed to put on our accurate shooting boots - again.

We have those boots?

cheflyf
22-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Getting pretty dominated...

Muswellbrookian
22-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Certainly seems that way.

22-02-2013, 08:36 PM

Not yet touch wood

weston
22-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Birraz and co at the back got their dancin shoes on.... hopefully Theo and co have them on this half

true waterboy
22-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Come on coopers troopers

cheflyf
22-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Frustrating

weston
22-02-2013, 09:11 PM
time for virgilli... come on gve.... Hoole as well

evolution
22-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Gallaway :blush:

****in' hopeless...

pistolpete
22-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Was thinking on the way home that although i was reasonably happy with the performance as a whole we really aren't that good.

Birra, Zad, Caravella and Heskey are playing well.

Gallaway has alot of enthusiasm but really doesn't seem to have much of a clue what the hell he is doing (may be the game plan but i just don't think he is up to it).

I rate Brillante but not at right back.

Happy with the combination of Ritter and Regan, more so that we are sticking with the same combination for a couple of games straight.

I think Cooper and Taggart could be quality but they need more game time.

I don't understand the love fest for Bridges. You don't get points for being a good bloke. He is not that good though we don't have a better option unfortunately. He was quality years ago but if he is playing as a #10 we need him to be more involved. Del Piero runs the game from the same position. So does Broich but he plays a bit wider. Hernandez used to for Melbourne and Rojas does now. He just isn't at this level.

Ryan Griffiths is just rubbish. He can't cross, doesn't defend and has a terrible first touch. The glimpses of brilliance are getting further apart and he needs a spell on the sidelines.

Brisbane are playing way below par and we couldn't finish them. The top 6 is a joke anyway (should be 4 at the most which is proven by the points table) and we won't make it playing like we did tonight.

militiamon
22-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I actually agree with most of what pete says above. While I wouldn't say it was a bad performance, it wasn't a good one either. And we've had too many of those this season.

I'm getting more and more disillusioned with our progress as a team and the direction (or the lack of one) that the team is heading in. I still see the potential in the vision of the team as a young, mobile, possession-based team, but some of the decisions that have been made this season have taken us away from this vision.

Imyourhero
22-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing Cooper getting much more game time.
When he first came on you could tell he had some nerves but as he settled into the game i found him quite impressive. Just needs to gain that confidence of being apart of the team. Also did anyone else see the super blast of pace when he went to chase down a loose pass almost leading to a 1 on 1?
Bridges really nothing special, cooper is better investment or even Caravella in behind which would allow Brilliante to come back into holding midfield.

also if Griff cant use his right foot better off just having him on the left, missed too many crossing chances while he takes time to cut back onto his left.

Considering the pace of the pitch and especially towards the end when there was a few times where brisbane pushed men forward, we had great opportunities to hit a good counter attack however we would
1. Take way too many touches on the ball and f**cking dawdle like we're in rainbow land leading to brisbane being able to get numbers back behind the ball. OR
2. Instead of quickly switching play to a blatantly open player on a spacey side of the pitch we would play a stupid pass backwards or sideways straight back to the congested area where the ball came from. Has GVE ever heard of teaching "body positioning"???

pudy
22-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Not a disaster, but a massive missed opportunity.

hawk
22-02-2013, 11:56 PM
cara ruled the middle. His 1st touch, pass and constant availability is awsome. I believe we could pinch a semi or 2 if we finish 6th. top 6 rox

RedMexican
22-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Fark meee dead.
Goodbye top 6, i thought the koala bear was good tonight, as was rubez.
We should have lost 5-0 if it wasnt for birraz!
Well done to everyone that turned up!

BodyNovo
23-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Galloway was ****ing terrible, might run the ball 30 metres than has no idea what to do, basically recycled possession from roar.

Rubes was just immense, captaincy has turned him into probably most important players. Team doesn't really click without him.

Cooper>bridges simple. Came on and changed the game.

Gary will make 5-10changes on Wednesday me thinks. Us fatigue as excuse etc.

Jade north was really impressive for roar to.

23-02-2013, 02:22 AM
I actually agree with most of what pete says above. While I wouldn't say it was a bad performance, it wasn't a good one either. And we've had too many of those this season.

I'm getting more and more disillusioned with our progress as a team and the direction (or the lack of one) that the team is heading in. I still see the potential in the vision of the team as a young, mobile, possession-based team, but some of the decisions that have been made this season have taken us away from this

vision.

Buck stops with GVE. Talks a grand and wonderful game but thats about it.

Schultz
23-02-2013, 03:26 AM

Seen the odd fox around home but i wouldn't say they're a problem.

Tommyjet
23-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Midfield got dominated

23-02-2013, 07:38 AM
I applaud the positive runs Galloway makes but how many times does he make a great run only to let his decision making go out the window and run into a cul de sac.

stopper2
23-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Decision-making cost us. Players in good positions take too many touches and an opportunity goes begging. There are 2 or 3 players which seem to do it week-in week-out but seem to keep getting picked so the coach mustn't see this as a major issue. Birraz, Caravella, Rubes and Heskey were great, the rest need to lift their game.

namwob99
23-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Anybody else see gall's tackle on berisha in the first half as he was about to shoot or were we all to busy blowing our loads over Bira falling on broich's miss-kick? Absolute ball-tearer!!

The Dunster
23-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Considering his lack of mobility Bridges needs to compensate by either scoring goals or assisting others to score on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, he turns the ball over far too often trying to dribble through the opposition, is a defensive liability, and is nowhere near accurate enough at passing to be considered a #10.

I just think we could be developing Hoole, Cooper, Bradbury, or even Ribero who in all probability will rapidly improve as they get more experience.

Alternatively, given that we would need a miracle to get anything from this season it might be an idea to let Bridges start every game for the rest of the season so we can finally leave no doubt as to why we should let him go.

stopper2
23-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Considering his lack of mobility Bridges needs to compensate by either scoring goals or assisting others to score on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, he turns the ball over far too often trying to dribble through the opposition, is a defensive liability, and is nowhere near accurate enough at passing to be considered a #10.

I just think we could be developing Hoole, Cooper, Bradbury, or even Ribero who in all probability will rapidly improve as they get more experience.

Alternatively, given that we would need a miracle to get anything from this season it might be an idea to let Bridges start every game for the rest of the season so we can finally leave no doubt as to why we should let him go.
Totally agree.
It would seem that GVE was convinced that Brown would play that role this season but everyone can see that it just didn't work out. Griff just isn't that type of player while Bridges is just a temporary band-aid solution who does a decent job without providing any end-product. Cooper has shown he can play there and I have no doubts that Hoole especially and even Bradbury should be considered as options.

pudy
23-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I was actually surprised at how well Brisbane played, especially in the first half. Watched them in the Champions league last week and they were an absolute shadow of the team that played last night. We hung in there, didn't play well, but got a point. Not all doom and gloom.

The way the table is shaping up, we probably only will need 34 points to make the finals. For us that means just a couple of wins and a draw. Come on boys, it's time to get a win in Wellington this week.

Bon
23-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Anybody else see gall's tackle on berisha in the first half as he was about to shoot or were we all to busy blowing our loads over Bira falling on broich's miss-kick? Absolute ball-tearer!!

Yeah that tackle was immense!!!! (One of the few moments of the game that I remember, hahaha)

MFKS
23-02-2013, 11:15 AM
FFS Although frustrating at this time of season to not be winning a draw ain't the worst result. Considering the weather was the way it was the game could have been decided by a dropped ball richocet defender slip etc to get a point was handy if not desirable. The weather really ****ed us with GVE's style as it meant our slow build up play was even more considered and measured than normal. Brisbane who play a similar style as we are aiming for were a little more suited to the rain with their superior technical skills.

Felt we started well and in the first 10 mins could have had 3-4 goals if the shooting boots/decision making were on. Once the rain came after 10 mins felt we lost control of the game. That could also be down to the useless **** in No19 who allowed Roar to dominate midfield to his regular ball give aways and lack of pressing skills. Felt we went a bit better at this in the second half. Our defence was pretty solid in the second half and Birraz untested. In attack the greasy conditions were just enough off putting that plays would break down.

Felt the biggest **** up we had of the night was the selection of Gallaway at Left back and no Goody in the squad. Sammy had acres of space and ample time to make telling plays for us. ****ED them up every time. Wonder how different it would have been if GVE had played Goody at LB and Roar had of offered up the amounts of Space to Goody as they had done to Sammy. 60 mins in and I would have been putting Goody on to exploit the space on the left Roar were leaving us and it took until the 90th minute to understand why GVE hadn't as Goody wasn't available.

Jetmaster
23-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Overall, most of the team did ok in the conditions.

I do question both our fullbacks though. Neither knew how how to get the ball across once they got near the byline, and kept turning into somebody and feebly hand it over.

Taggart had a shocker but that was offset by him at least getting in the right positions, the goals will come.

Right now we have to beat Wellington and Perth at least.

Nelson Bay Road
23-02-2013, 11:46 AM
We cannot cross the ball...
Lost count how many times we didn't beat the first defender, put it out for a goal kick or overshot the back stick by miles...
Agree with comments above our fullbacks r poor with their decision making in the final third

plague
23-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Fairly drunk actually. Got wet a bit. Don't remember much of game. Was most likely rubbish anyway.
Def Deans' fault.

Is the season finished yet?

MFKS
23-02-2013, 01:33 PM
No Plague 5 more games to torture us with. Then we get to listen to the Egg pontificate about where things went wrong and delude us that he has the answers to fix things and then we forget about what a disaster this season was, convince ourselves to believe things will be better next year only for the trials to confirm little has changed and we do it all again
CIRCLE OF LIFE

q-money
23-02-2013, 02:53 PM
WS for the cup

arf!

MFKS
23-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Replay about to start in 5 mins on FoxSports 501 for those that want to relive the torture

plague
23-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Just finished watching the first harf again.The Bridges hate is a bit skewed. Skill wise the bloke is no worse than most others on our team. He just doesn't have the legs to put in a consistent effort for a #10.
Some team should turn him into a defensive mid.

(Some other team cause we shouldn't resign him)

My2BobsWorth
23-02-2013, 05:53 PM
As Kev says, everybody needs to take a cold shower. There will be no reputations lost or made on that night. Man of the match goes to the hardy souls who turned up.

leftrightout
23-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I am one who agrees Bridgey is a class player,but he is just too old and slow now! Shame because he is a great club man.
But everyone saying copper is the answer are kidding themselves! He might be the answer in2 or 3 years time, but right now that kid is too small and inconsistent to play at this level! I certainly see potential, but he has a way to go yet!

sh10
23-02-2013, 10:46 PM
How good is Taggs at holding up the ball? Reminds me of Suarez, the way he uses his relatively small frame to shield the ball and either make space or lay off

militiamon
23-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Agreed, very tidy in these areas.

His finishing/confidence needs a lot of work though.

seldom
24-02-2013, 01:50 AM
How good is Taggs at holding up the ball? Reminds me of Suarez, the way he uses his relatively small frame to shield the ball and either make space or lay off

Yeah taggs reminds me of Suarez like jesic reminds me of Rooney or kanta of Gerrard...:what: