PDA

View Full Version : BK Whats the point???

MFKS
23-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Now before we all get our nickers in a twist and carry on about BK hating this isn't the intent.

I think we all can see Birraz's talents and there would be little dispute on who is the better keeper of the two.

I have a point that has been bothering me for a while
Why do we have BK on the books at the club?? This is a serious question.

Surely we would be better off having Birraz as first team keeper and Jack Duncan to sit on the bench for the first team and play NYL.
So why with the injury replacement rules the way they are (Nashy Call Up with Birraz facial injury) do we need to have BK on the books AT ALL??

If Jack Duncan is deemed not good enough to play HAL other than to sit on the bench and act as cover in the event something goes wrong with Birraz for part of a game and next week GVE dips into the transfer market to bring in someone. Why have BK at all.??Duncan can fill the breach short term and next game we go recall Nashy/BK or whoever to fill the hole until Birraz returns.

Seriously what is the point of wasting however many dollars on our second keeper when we could just be getting a Yoof player on min wage to fill the 2nd keeper spot and then raiding the transfer market for an injury replacement when necessary. Surely we could free up some funds in the salary cap by releasing BK to the NBN League or NSWPL level

belchardo
23-02-2013, 02:25 PM
because competition for a starting spot always leads to better performances from all involved.

/thread.

MFKS
23-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Competition is all good and well but in this competition level we could be paying a player the money elsewhere in the park with the x factor we miss. You would also expect Birraz being a pro to be working hard on his game with or without the presence of Bk breathing down his neck as he seeks Euro Contracts/Socceroos call up etc etc

Doesn't seem to effect other clubs with good keepers such as Galekovic Theoklitos etc where no one would have a clue who the rookie keeper is.

selassie
23-02-2013, 03:06 PM
how do you know how much bk is on?

bk coming in after training with the team everyday > bk coming in after a few months not playing professionally.

GazFish35
23-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Terminating contracts costs cap space too.

As a BK defender I'm all for valid debates, will only get my knickers in a twist when criticism is unfair, unwarranted or just plain wrong.

You ask some key questions member, questions that could be made about a few others in the squad.
Ribs, jesic etc etc

MFKS
23-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Terminating contracts costs cap space too.

As a BK defender I'm all for valid debates, will only get my knickers in a twist when criticism is unfair, unwarranted or just plain wrong.

You ask some key questions member, questions that could be made about a few others in the squad.
Ribs, jesic etc etc

I am aware it would be costing us a bit just too give BK the arse and how that would impact on Salary Cap issues and I am not suggesting that at all.

It to me is stupid to have a No2 of BK's abilities/wage level on the books at all when we could have a young bloke on the minimum and then if something happens to Birraz exploit the Injury Replacement rules that are already there and in place to bring in a replacement.

Also Selassie I wouldn't have a clue on BK's wage level but I think it is safe to assume he is on much more money than Jack Duncan would be not to mention I believe BK signed a new contract last season when he was in good form and Player of the Season form so I would also assume his earnings at present will be pretty good in relation to what he has been on at other times in his career at the Jets.

Thomas477
23-02-2013, 03:54 PM
I agree with the Honorable Member. Having a fair size of our cap sitting on the bench behind Biraz is not ideal. However, if he isn't on a seizable chunk, ~5% or <$125,000, I have no issue with him - unless he gets on the park, then I'm worried. I will speak from experience that having two competitive keepers does help incredibly, but it is a fair size of the cap to be spending on a bloke who may not even play at all.

Better off to spend the money on someone who can contribute something on field, as opposed to off it - you could replicate the effect BK has on Biraz with a top keeper coach.

Pico
23-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Because Birraz would drop the jets in half a heart beat if someone from any decent football continent comes knocking, bloke does not care for newy or the jets just needs to play some games so he can go overseas. Last thing you want is to be Melbourne victory and be left with a Tando like 2nd keeper. Highly doubt BK would be on huge money and is exactly the right kind of 2nd choice, able to steep up but not on huge coin.

militiamon
23-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Because Birraz would drop the jets in half a heart beat if someone from any decent football continent comes knocking, bloke does not care for newy or the jets just needs to play some games so he can go overseas.

Exactly. Can't see him sticking around any longer than the end of next season based on all the hype alone.

Shit thread from The Member, more shortsighted than q-man is irl.

westjet
23-02-2013, 04:29 PM
bloke does not care for newy

Bit harsh on Birra isn't it - I do agree with you that if a better offer comes he will take it, but who wouldn't. Haven't seen anything in his performances and interviews that demonstrates he doesn't care for newy.

q-money
23-02-2013, 04:32 PM
more shortsighted than q-man is irl.

:lulz:

My2BobsWorth
23-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Who gives a fvck, BK can replace Birra anytime

Pico
23-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Bit harsh on Birra isn't it - I do agree with you that if a better offer comes he will take it, but who wouldn't. Haven't seen anything in his performances and interviews that demonstrates he doesn't care for newy.

What I mean is that we are just a pit stop for him, bloke won't be sticking around in the HAL, nor should he, he should have ambition to further himself, but why should we as a club cut a local keeper who probably is not on much coin, capable at this level, and more then likely will be around the HAL level to leave us with a youth keeper and a bloke who sees us as an opportunity to shop himself to the next club that comes along. Seems short sighted when if the goal is to trim some salary cap, like we even remotely need to, we have far better players who contribute nothing, Jesic, Ribs, Neville, Bridges, all players who are contributing the same or less then BK and would arguably free up just as much cap space.

Nothing wrong with a club keeping a HAL level keeper in its ranks, nor for that matter any HAL player who might not progress to higher leagues. Some stability with regular HAL players can't hurt.

stopper2
23-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Answer: It would be just plain dumb to go into a season with a rookie keeper as your back-up for your #1. Birraz has proven he is an excellent young keeper this season but if he were to get injured/suspended, BK would slot in without a minimum of fuss and do the job.

Jetmaster
23-02-2013, 07:49 PM
As soon as Birraz pokes his eye when applying his makeup we will need a real Newy guy in goal....forza BK!!!

scozzygt
23-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Answer: It would be just plain dumb to go into a season with a rookie keeper as your back-up for your #1. Birraz has proven he is an excellent young keeper this season but if he were to get injured/suspended, BK would slot in without a minimum of fuss and do the job.

Sensible post mate, you got tha answer ,

scozzygt
23-02-2013, 09:25 PM
As soon as Birraz pokes his eye when applying his makeup we will need a real Newy guy in goal....forza BK!!!

Umm,
aw fxck that's not even worth typing a reply
:banghead:

NewcastleForLife
23-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Nothing wrong with a club keeping a HAL level keeper in its ranks, nor for that matter any HAL player who might not progress to higher leagues. Some stability with regular HAL players can't hurt.

Pretty much this. As much hate as BK gets he's good enough to keep in this league and would happily stay on for another decade with the same wage, why dump him?

RedMexican
23-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Pretty much this. As much hate as BK gets he's good enough to keep in this league and would happily stay on for another decade with the same wage, why dump him?

mfks is just a gypo.

Chadandkira12
23-02-2013, 09:54 PM
At least he isn't getting a wage like velaphi he's on 100k sitting on the bench

My2BobsWorth
24-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Apparently a couple of overseas scouts in the stands on Friday night to check Birra out. Must have been pretty pleased with what they saw