PDA

View Full Version : The battle of Local Football vs Local Handegg

pv4
25-02-2013, 01:20 PM
My local Rugby League club (Wangi Warriors) is offering free rego to everyone. Kids, all-age, everything. From what I've been told by a few sources, the NRL have realised that their sport is dying a slow & painful death, so they're re-investing into juniors to get more people playing.

My little 8-year-old nephew got offered free rego & gear to go play Under 8's league for this upcoming season, and while ~$150 to play football isn't a great deal in the grand scheme of things, my sister had a serious think about whether she wanted to put him into league instead. The voices of reason (aka my old man & me) were on-hand to pull her out of the idea of letting him play anything but roundball, but I can't help but think how many of his little mates have parents who would let their kids change sports because of this free rego thing.

I understand that football rego costs are broken down into insurance, federation fees, club fees, etc - but this understanding doesn't help the fact that kids are getting lured away from the sport because of rego costs. I know Westlakes Juniors had ~370 rego'd last year, and this year they're under 300.

I really like the idea that A-League teams are getting salary caps subsidized due to the Fox TV deal, but would all/some of this money be better off being re-invested into local football? I'm imagining all the money local rugby league clubs have to give free rego from is coming from the NRL's TV deal.

I know the sponsorship that NNSW have with Newcastle Permanent is meant to be the best they've ever had and all - but is enough being done, from grassroots through to the A-League?

How many kids will we lose to league, and when we realise that rego numbers have dropped considerably & something needs to be done about it - will it be too late?

Zico
25-02-2013, 01:27 PM
I know a few parents that have allowed their young fellas to swap to league purely because of the small sided games and the lack of competition until U/12's.
I understand why small sided games are being played and the benifits behind them but unfortunately this is being lost on many parents.

Imyourhero
25-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Definetly the next step in Australian football has to be trying to get our rego costs down, i have to pay $360 for rego + gear not including boots/shinpads which all adds up to alot of cost for me personally to afford.
In regards to grassroots i know many people who would otherwise put their children in roundball if not for total costs of playing.
For the future of our sport it has to be a big thought on the minds of FFA and co

25-02-2013, 03:48 PM
I know a few parents that have allowed their young fellas to swap to league purely because of the small sided games and the lack of competition until U/12's.
I understand why small sided games are being played and the benifits behind them but unfortunately this is being lost on many parents.

All too true. Know many parents who hope to christ there kids DON'T ask to play whilst they are in this age group. SSF is really on the nose with the parents.

boz-monaut
25-02-2013, 03:57 PM
this is quite different from the unanimous support for small sided football from the association, clubs and everyone else involved in the game that occurs at every Newcastle Football meeting I've ever been to

goes to show the snapshot of the football community that this forum plays host to

MFKS
25-02-2013, 04:57 PM
All too true. Know many parents who hope to christ there kids DON'T ask to play whilst they are in this age group. SSF is really on the nose with the parents.

That would have a lot to do with a lot of these people having very little idea about the game. The ones who think it is all about hoofing it up the park/wiing is everything mentality etc. Any one with half a club about football can see that this is a good thing for juniors in this country to be playing SSL as opposed to the old ways.

Can spot these people at Jets games who constantly boo ANYTIME the ball goes back to Birraz. Also the same ones who fap over Michael Bridges everytime he comes on:whistling:

Imyourhero
25-02-2013, 05:23 PM
That would have a lot to do with a lot of these people having very little idea about the game. The ones who think it is all about hoofing it up the park/wiing is everything mentality etc. Any one with half a club about football can see that this is a good thing for juniors in this country to be playing SSL as opposed to the old ways.

Can spot these people at Jets games who constantly boo ANYTIME the ball goes back to Birraz. Also the same ones who fap over Michael Bridges everytime he comes on:whistling:

I guess the argument alot of parents may take up is that they pay what is alot of $ for many families for their children to run around a tiny pitch for 30mins, not so much that they think its a bad idea. If we had a much higher success rate for developing young talent then im sure more parents would be willing to invest however the reality is we don't. If we wanted to develop a higher technically gifted production line of children then really they should can this system and have many more futsal competitions until ages of 14 or so...but thats yet another whole different $ story!

EH9
25-02-2013, 07:07 PM
If we want to improve the quality and standard of young footballers in our community 2 things need to happen, in my opinion.

1. At early stages in kids football lives decisions need to be made if they are wanting to be involved in a competitive environment or a fun all inclusive environment.

2. Coaches in the competitive environment need to be skilled enough to be able to provide an environment that will improve all players in the group from U6 onwards. Problem will be that this costs money and unless the FFA get swish with cash this will fall back on the families.

25-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I guess the argument alot of parents may take up is that they pay what is alot of $ for many families for their children to run around a tiny pitch for 30mins, not so much that they think its a bad idea. If we had a much higher success rate for developing young talent then im sure more parents would be willing to invest however the reality is we don't. If we wanted to develop a higher technically gifted production line of children then really they should can this system and have many more futsal competitions until ages of 14 or so...but thats yet another whole different $ story!

That was my point. Its all well and good to cite the bigger picture as the member has but at the end of the day parents who just want there kids to be active on a Saturday morning just want value for there money and don't see that in SSF. I have a good friend with 2 children of small sided age but will not let the kids do the SSF and its all down to the perception of what they are getting for there hard earned.

Perhaps the age needs to be looked at and re jigged a little.

Buddha
25-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Given the AFL and league stronghold down here in Wagga, we have had alot of parents turn their kids to Football. I think the rego around here is well below what you would pay in Newwy helping the cause

nbnjet
25-02-2013, 08:11 PM
What the Wangi Warriors are actually offering, not quite free rego but still pretty cheap. I may be thinking they are struggling to attract kids so maybe a sponsor has stepped in to cover costs. I wouldnt think that tv rights money from the nine/fox deal will flow down to these clubs. I may be wrong.

Registrations. For re-registrations please complete "Wangi Warrior Registrations Form" at the bottom of this page

New registrations will need to complete the above in conjuction with "ARL National Players Registration Form" at the bottom of this page. New players birth certificate must be sighted

See also Club Information sheet at bottom of page

Registration Costs:

U6's - $50

U7's to U16's - $90

with a $10 discount each subsequent child (to a max of 3)

cost includes new socks ,shorts and referee fees for the season

Beast
25-02-2013, 08:26 PM
EH9 support you on your first point, a few years ago I finally talked my daughter and some of her friends into leaving netball to play football first year they played for fun and loved it. 2nd year new coach took on a win at all costs approach which ment girls were left on the bench while other players never had a break all season. 3rd season she went back to netball along with all her friends and club lost a team.

pv4
25-02-2013, 08:58 PM
nbnjet - my nephew got told everything would be completely free. I'm led to believe they're offering the same for guys playing seniors at Westlakes football, some reserve grade guys from last year have apparently left us to play there

MFKS
25-02-2013, 09:01 PM
That was my point. Its all well and good to cite the bigger picture as the member has but at the end of the day parents who just want there kids to be active on a Saturday morning just want value for there money and don't see that in SSF. I have a good friend with 2 children of small sided age but will not let the kids do the SSF and its all down to the perception of what they are getting for there hard earned.

When I was a wee kid back in the day 25 plus years ago we use to play 2 x 20 min halves with 2 goals approx 2/3 real size located on the 18 yard line of a full field with 11 players a side there were no grand finals semis or any of that stuff until u10's where we upgraded to full size fields and played for real.

Really what is the difference except you are playing on a smaller pitch with less players so everyone gets more of a go at getting a touch and devleloping skills???

IMHO the benefits kids these days are getting are much more than back in my day when everyone use to swarm around in a pack and you were lucky to get half a dozen kicks a game.

This also being said short sighted and deluded parents are an issue that we need to rid ourselves in this country of anyway. Some of them have NFI what sport should be about at that age for kids and the only ones suffering are the kids if they are denied a chance to play learn develop and appreciate a sport due to the deluded opinion of people who have think they know best but have NFI about the game

MFKS
25-02-2013, 09:02 PM

When I was a wee kid back in the day 25 plus years ago we use to play 2 x 20 min halves with 2 goals approx 2/3 real size located on the 18 yard line of a full field with 11 players a side there were no grand finals semis or any of that stuff until u10's where we upgraded to full size fields and played for real.

Really what is the difference except you are playing on a smaller pitch with less players so everyone gets more of a go at getting a touch and devleloping skills???

IMHO the benefits kids these days are getting are much more than back in my day when everyone use to swarm around in a pack and you were lucky to get half a dozen kicks a game.

This also being said short sighted and deluded parents are an issue that we need to rid ourselves in this country of anyway. Some of them have NFI what sport should be about at that age for kids and the only ones suffering are the kids if they are denied a chance to play learn develop and appreciate a sport due to the deluded opinion of people who think they know best but have NFI about the game

punter
25-02-2013, 09:17 PM
this is quite different from the unanimous support for small sided football from the association, clubs and everyone else involved in the game that occurs at every Newcastle Football meeting I've ever been to

Well said, And so true. The same goes for hunter and all games ive been to.
I have watch my kids and friends kids in a game 10 years a go only to watch a 40 minute game and see the kids i went to watch get 3 or 3 touches of the ball cause they wern't fast enough or as good as other players.
The games i watched last year all players seems to get the chance to get more touches and did get more touches.
Isn't that better? All players getting lots of touches

25-02-2013, 09:43 PM

This also being said short sighted and deluded parents are an issue that we need to rid ourselves in this country of anyway. Some of them have NFI what sport should be about at that age for kids and the only ones suffering are the kids if they are denied a chance to play learn develop and appreciate a sport due to the deluded opinion of people who think they know best but have NFI about the game

Once again the member is correct and the rest of the world have NFI. Good for you and bad luck for the rest of us eh ?.

Imyourhero
25-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Haha love this forum! started with pricing of rego's etc and now on to debates about field sizing, i agree that the new system IS better in the long term for those players that DO have the ability however for the general public wanting their kid to be active and socialize in a good sporting environment it is alot of money for what is offered.

In an ideal world you could have futsal as the main pathway for children ages 6-14 (and then a social, casual comp for ages beyond) held in large complexes with multiple fields all in same area on normal sized futsal pitches which are a good sized pitch allowing plenty of touches but also plenty of exercise, a perfect environment to develop technical skills as well as learning to be able to use your body to protect the ball in the latter stages of age groups and then 14+ onto normal fields. Futsal fields are also ideal to help stop the onslaught of children who grow faster and strong early from dominating the smaller guys.

boz-monaut
25-02-2013, 09:52 PM
free rego to the baby bonus generation is really going to entrench rugby league into the criminal classes

you think the current crop of NRL rapists, shitters, glassers, wife beaters, dog rooters and News Limited journalists are bad - just wait another 15 years and see how bad things are

demon
25-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I will say up front I am a huge fan of SSF and personally a lot of the parents who keep their kids away from football because of the non competitive side are welcome to stay away from the game as far as I am concerned. SSF works! It has set objectives and anyone who knows them can see how effective a game it is.

I have had this discussion with people for the last 4 years at this time of the year. For all some junior clubs do there promoting registration etc there are quite a few that do sweet f.a. in regards to actively promoting their club and sport, that role is never just the FFA or NNSWFF it is the club getting into it local community. Now I guess I do have an axe to grind because I spent time trying in one local area trying to get clubs to work together over 2012/13 and was rather amazed at just how apathetic the clubs in that areas were about working as a group or just doing something new full stop.

I did the sums on how much parents were paying per hour of sport for a season compared to local dance schools, league, afl, martial arts and as far as value for money it beat every activity we compared it too. Promoting our sport is not just a few posters/banners and an email/letter to last seasons players, sorry folks but your in a competitive market you need to act like it.

Newc Perm sponsorship remember covers the entire Northern area... not just Newcastle or the Hunter. And I think at the moment we are giving our kids and our sponsor both good value for money. A little thing like asking the local Newc Perm manager down to help hand out the free equipment cosnts nothing but offers both the Perm and the club great PR but how many do things like that?

Did your junior club include the New Perm banner in their team photos? If not what would it have hurt if they did? What would the marketing team at the Perm have thought if they say things like that happening?

AFL tried a similar offer of not just free rego but also backpack, ball & drink bottle a few years ago. And yes we probably did lose some juniors to it but have we continued to see a mass exodus to that code no, partially because not even AFl could continue to fund it at that level and nor will NRL or individual rugby leagues clubs.

At the end of the day though I can no longer go past the reply I received from officials...... if there are problems then get your clubs to raise them at Association meetings, if they won't get a new club rep. If Association reps won't raise them with Northern your club needs to get together with other local clubs and vote in new reps and Assoc Directors.

These problems and their answers need to be run from clubs and while all are volunteers (and yes I have been in many of those roles over the years) clubs need to understand they have a role greater than setting up fields each week. They, not the Socceroos or the ALeague, are the fighting front line of the code.

Captain_Carl
19-11-2021, 08:11 AM
More resources (grounds and facilities) must be appointed to the beautiful game over all these other sports, some of who are quickly becoming redundant.