PDA

View Full Version : charity shield

wannabe
20-03-2013, 09:56 PM
hi all,charity shield on this sunday at wanderers.I am led to believe that northern are running the day and have hired the ground from magic?can you confirm magician? first trophy up for grabs. who is going to watch and does anyone know what other games are on and what time are kick offs

The Magician
20-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi all...

Charity Shield background, Magic started many years ago to emulate charity shield played in premier league to assist our neighbours the Westpac Rescue Helicopter. When NNSWF stop promoting the Presidents cup they took over marketing the charity shield as the official NBN State league season opener.

All profits on the day go to the Westpac rescue helicopter, $5 entry. Door is manned by Westpac and their representatives, who also run a raffle. Magic provides volunteers and waives any ground hire fee. I think from previous thank you speeches NNSWF could also ask the referees association if they will donate their time for the main game lines and centre.

To increase participation on the day there have been attempts to bring as many people through the gates to support this great service including playing sanctioned trial games, NBN and NEWFM competition season launch ceremonies, or whole WPL rounds with varying success. NNSWF seems to have settled on playing Solo Cup rounds as prior to the main game which worked well last year.

In 2013 i think the solo cup games include New Lambton Vs Charlestown ZPL, and Belmont Vs Swansea (both ZPL) not 100% sure, people will need to check the state cup draw on the fed webpage.

I think the day has raised close to $30,000 for the helicopter service over the years. There is usually something in the paper before the game with more details.

Cabaye#4
21-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I have seen nothing about this in the papers/websites, however I am under the impression is it happening again this year.

Anyone know who magic are playing? What time?
The state cup game before hand kicks off at 1pm, and judging by last year, the main game would kick off at 245? (Last year the cup games were 11 & 12:45, with charity shield 230. This year the cup games are 1130 & 1, so would the charity shield be 230 or 245?)

magician
21-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Magic vs Olympic at 230.

Captain_Carl
19-11-2021, 08:15 AM
I think these sort of events deserve greater promotion and publicity.