PDA

View Full Version : 2014 World Cup Qualifying

Pages : [1] 2 3

hawk
27-06-2012, 10:59 PM
finishing 5th will give the usual playoff with Conmebol. Surely we wont need that?

Group B

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
Japan 3 2 1 0 10 1 +9 7
Iraq 2 0 2 0 2 2 0 2
Australia 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 2
Oman 3 0 2 1 1 4 −3 2
Jordan 2 0 1 1 1 7 −6 1

Group A
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
South Korea 2 2 0 0 7 1 +6 6
Iran 2 1 1 0 1 0 +1 4
Qatar 3 1 1 1 2 4 −2 4
Uzbekistan 2 0 1 1 1 2 −1 1
Lebanon 3 0 1 2 1 5 −4 1

GazFish35
27-06-2012, 11:14 PM
If we cant finish 1st or 2nd in that pool we don't deserve to go to brazil.
Iraq. Oman. Jordan.
FFS

robnuts
28-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Scheduling for the Sydney games is disappointing, all tuesday nights! Should get 2nd with our home games towards the back-end

Bon
11-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Hmmmm.. I notice noone has posted about tonights World Cup qualifier against Jordan..
From what I can gather, kickoff is at 2am our time.. I'm assuming it will be on Foxtel..

If we can't beat Jordan at least 2 or 3 to nil, then there is something seriously wrong..

boz-monaut
11-09-2012, 08:43 PM
does everyone know SBS are showing the game on one hour delay tomorrow morning?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1120047/Watch-Socceroos-v-Jordan-on-SBS

Retro Jet
11-09-2012, 10:02 PM
does everyone know SBS are showing the game on one hour delay tomorrow morning?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1120047/Watch-Socceroos-v-Jordan-on-SBS

I'll be opting for the Live PoxSports coverage, courtesy of Mr Polska across the road. :)
You can txt me any comments Boz without spoiling.

Great it's on FTA though albiet delayed.

front2
11-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Iraq 0 Japan 1 . After 70min.

belchardo
12-09-2012, 05:08 AM
tactical ****ing masterstroke bringing on jedinak holger.

what kind of dross was that? one of the shittest performances i've seen from an australian team ever.

au revoir
12-09-2012, 08:22 AM
high comedy

Jetmaster
12-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Haven't seen the game yet but I said after the Scotland game that we are in serious trouble...because the young guys aren't stepping up.

We will have to just pick the older ones to try and get some points - if we lose our next game we could be gone unless we win all our home games.

belchardo
12-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Dia-f’n-bolical.

Jordan showed this morning that all you need to do to knock us off our game is play with a bit of pressure. Not much mind you, just a little.

We were so unbelievably bad it was almost laughable. Passes were either misplaced, uncontrollable, miscontrolled, blind or all 4. Touch was terrible from just about the whole team.

Our defence is just woeful, too old, too slow and frankly too bloody dumb.

Holger showed why he was given the job with two tactical masterstrokes. First was playing ognenovski, who turns out busted his hammy in the Lebanon match or at training, so 5 minutes in, what happens? He goes down and is subbed off. That’s Einstein-like brilliance that is.

And the coup de grace from Holger was subbing on jedinak at half time for bresciano. Now, bresciano had been the only player capable of handling the pressure in the first half, the only player that could put a pass where he wanted it to go, and the only player capable of controlling a ball at his feet (I may be being a bit harsh here, turns out he was injured, but is that another Holger special?). so on trots jedi, looking like the muppet he is, and his first real involvement in the game is to give away the penalty. I agree, soft as boiling butter, but god, how stupid are we? We’ve played in asia getting close to 10 years now and we still haven’t worked out NOT to jump in when the ball is in the box???

Anyway, after doing that he then disappears from the game until 15 minutes to go or so, when up he pops again to stupidly attempt to get to a ball he was never going to get, over-commits in the attempt and completely exposes our back two (who are either old and slow, slow and dumb, or old, slow and dumb) with three attackers streaming forward. Now jedi, clearly realising his error, tracks back to provide cover. Well, when I say tracks back, I mean casually jogs back with an attacker, keeping the attacker outside him. All good so far, but what’s this, he may be in the right position relative to the sideline, but f#$% me if he isn’t 2m closer to the half way line than his attacker. Needless to say, lucas does his age old pathetic attempt at a tackle, the cross comes in to jedi’s man who finishes nicely. Yes Mile, it is difficult to tackle the man WHEN YOU ARE FRIGGING BEHIND HIM!!!!!

I want a new rule brought into socceroos selection criteria, and I want it called the ‘Lucas Utlimatum’. If you choose to go to a cashed up middle eastern league, you will never play for the socceroos again. Lucas, spiranovic, og, bresciano. All gone. Clearly, the lesser standard really suits some players, bresciano was easily our best and is clearly still a class above. The other three have gone so far backwards we may as well start blooding new fullbacks. Bresciano is the innocent that must suffer in this scenario, but there are bigger things at stake here than one man’s career.

And finally, when are these bellends going to realize we aren’t kings of asia, and nor have we ever been. I got the distinct impression they turned up tonight thinking they had this in the bag, and they got steamrolled (only for the third time by the Jordan coach mind you, so it should have come as a complete shock to them!). to say they put in a 50% effort would denigrate the weekend warriors that actually manage to put in a half decent effort.

And how the hell does archie keep doing it, and worse, why does nobody else look like they can?

So, in summary:

Gutless
Stupid
Geriatric
Skill-less
Naïve

/rant

Bon
12-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Nice angry review Belchardo..
After reading that I am pretty glad I opted for my dreamless sleep as opposed to watching that waking nightmare..
Copping it off all the Thugby meat-heads at work today..

Beeen
12-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Thin air is better than David Carney. How he still gets a gig i suppose no one really knows.

parksey
12-09-2012, 11:38 AM
jedinak was actually pretty decent on the ball for once. should have scored that header and had a great shot smack off the post. his challenge for the penalty was stupid, though.

bresciano was injured in that aerial contest as the end of the first half.

russjaybee
12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Watching us play slow, dull, unintelligent "football" yet again I came to a striking conclusion, maybe we're just not good enough?

As I watched and shuddered as we lost control, held on for it for too long and generally were stagnant all round the pitch I came to the obvious conclusion that the players on the pitch were just not good enough. Watching yet another team "we should beat" be more direct, sharper and more fluid in possession that us was so frustrating. You see the Jordanian attackers swivelling, turning, using guile to try and create opportunities, running in to good spaces etc, it's depressing. When Tim Cahill is your player with the best technique (bresc probably shades him) then you're in trouble (no offence timmy).

Brosque, Timmy, Kruse, Hollman, none of them are "smart" players that are going to dart in to space, play the quick 1 / 2 etc. We still show no signs of fluidity when we have possession. We get the ball and try and play this possession game at a very slow tempo which ultimately leads to either us losing possession or hoofing it in to the box.

It's so frustrating seeing teams like Thailand and Iraq actually play the game and look exciting going forward.

I tried to think of players we could, SHOULD, bring in to up the tempo. There are options like Ruka, Leckie, Burns etc but they're not even playing regularly. Maybe we're just not good enough? We are constantly being out-shone technically by ALL teams we play, maybe our ethos of "good engines" and athleticism in this country is finally coming back to bight us in the arse.

C*nts F*cked.

plague
12-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Belchardo's review is the most accurate piece I've read about this match.
Well said.

russjaybee
12-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Dia-f’n-bolical.
And finally, when are these bellends going to realize we aren’t kings of asia, and nor have we ever been. I got the distinct impression they turned up tonight thinking they had this in the bag, and they got steamrolled (only for the third time by the Jordan coach mind you, so it should have come as a complete shock to them!). to say they put in a 50% effort would denigrate the weekend warriors that actually manage to put in a half decent effort.

Amen ffs.

pv4
12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
how did spira go when he came on?

Retro Jet
12-09-2012, 09:18 PM
+1 Bel. TY. You saved me a heap of typing....

One of my observations is these 'shit games' we have every now and then, although of late, they're becoming more regular.
Bahrain last campaign is one of many poor performances where we got away with it.

How do you have a cracking game against Japan then play dross v Denmark, Scotland, and Jordan?
Wot about the Asian Cup games? I thought there was hope after that tournament that we'd started to integrate some of the younger players.

Since the modern professional era we have these lacklustre preformances from professional players that should know better.
Maybe that's the problem. The professional Aussie player. The old days the players gave 100% for the shirt and crest. Not the majority of that mob last night.
We lost games because we were outclassed or unlucky. It wasn't from lack of trying.
I wonder what sort of messages some of the younger players are getting, bench warming and watching that guff we had to sit through last night.

When we did score it was from a simple wall pass, along the ground. I think Archie's shot was the only real shot apart from Jedi's that had any venom.
Think I might try to find a vid of Jap v Jordan and check out how their 6 came again.

My cuz texted me this morning "I didn't want to go to Brazil anyway!"
I texted back " The way they played, I don't think they want to either...."

Retro Jet
12-09-2012, 10:21 PM
PS
Did anyone else notice watch the Fox feed how Bozza looked?
Pastey white, red eyes...real sick looking. Worse than he normally does.
Looked like something from one of Peter Jackson's early films.

Jetmaster
13-09-2012, 10:52 AM
PS
Did anyone else notice watch the Fox feed how Bozza looked?
Pastey white, red eyes...real sick looking. Worse than he normally does.
Looked like something from one of Peter Jackson's early films.

Don't think the late night makeup people are up to scratch at Fox. One late game last year, Bozza looked similar and Mel had that much makeup she looked like she's wandered in from working the Cross !

MFKS
13-09-2012, 08:57 PM
You know the most frustrating part of this is that even if we qualify Holger is setting us up for an arse whooping in Brazil like we copped in Sth Africa.

Holgers brief is to qualify us for the WC. As a result he will do what is required to get us there and damn the long term consequences to football in this country. The Socceroos have been in need of regenerating for about 3 years now and we see no action being taken. This is all down to the FFA structuring Osieks contract giving him a great bonus if we qualify. As a result why would Holger take any risks like putting in rookies inexperienced players when all he has to do is stick with the tried and trusted to get us there?? We had exactly the same problem under Verbeek

Don't give me any crap that our young players Leckie, Oar , Langerak etc aren't playing first team football so don't deserve to be picked. They just plain well ain't getting a go as the older generation are being allowed to run the show and hang around for ever.

Someone at the FFA needs to look at the big picture here grow a set and turn up and say to Lucas and Schwarzer and co thanks for your efforts guys time to go. All football nations have to purge their stars from the NT at some stage in their careers so why is it so hard for us to do??

Carney gets picked from a reserve team of Uzbekistan. Archie gets picked during the HAL pre season. If that is the basis of our selection policies why can't we pick an Oar Amini Leckie etc who ain't playing first team in Europe??

Everyone keeps saying these blokes haven't stepped up to demand their place. Well that requires opportunity first and opportunity is sadly being denied

boz-monaut
13-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm as worried about the World Cup as I am that we host the Asian Cup a year later

we're going to get slaughtered on home soil and it's going to be ugly

sure the current crop aren't as good as c.2006, but trying to extend those guys beyond their used by date is myopic and stupid and doomed to fail

seldom
13-09-2012, 09:38 PM
we'll be right with all the ordinary gumbies in our team the 4-3-3 will kick in and save us all in a couple of years

MFKS
13-09-2012, 10:30 PM
I seriously doubt we will. I struggle to understand how we are so good in Asia. Teams ranked well below us Oman Thailand turn up and play us off the park but somehow we win. Nearly all of these Asian teams have some serious issues between their ears and pay us way too much respect and don't really believe they are better than us. Let's be honest our football is still pretty crap and all our overseas players aren't stars but workmanlike. What's gonna happen when some of these Asian teams realise the great Australian team isn't that good!!

When they believe they can beat us they will as our football is still massively behind most of them despite them having peasant like infrastructure. We will always remain quite competitive at home but are gonna be in for a hell of a lot more beatings on the road to teams we expect to beat

hawk
14-09-2012, 03:45 PM
What's gonna happen when some of these Asian teams realise the great Australian team isn't that good!!

already happened

Thanks to a few draws we are still in with a show.

militiamon
14-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm all for bringing in younger players, and I'm sure that it's something Holger would've done a long time ago were it not for the fact that our next generation are all sitting on the bench 5th division of Germany or whatever. It would turn the national team into a joke if we start thinking that Zullo, Leckie, Holland, Spira, Milligan, etc. are good enough to be in the starting line-up.

The only alternative I see to the current approach is giving younger players from the A-League a real run in the national team, at least that would provide a boost to the national competition. Prepare yourselves for several steps down in team quality if we go down that path though. I would estimate we'd go from being ranked 25th to somewhere in the 60s or 70s.

pv4
14-09-2012, 05:49 PM
i think it's about playing the younger guys for more than a 10min cameo, and giving them more exposure, and letting their reps get higher & wanted by more clubs who would actually play them.

MFKS
15-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm all for bringing in younger players, and I'm sure that it's something Holger would've done a long time ago were it not for the fact that our next generation are all sitting on the bench 5th division of Germany or whatever. It would turn the national team into a joke if we start thinking that Zullo, Leckie, Holland, Spira, Milligan, etc. are good enough to be in the starting line-up.

The only alternative I see to the current approach is giving younger players from the A-League a real run in the national team, at least that would provide a boost to the national competition. Prepare yourselves for several steps down in team quality if we go down that path though. I would estimate we'd go from being ranked 25th to somewhere in the 60s or 70s.

Problem also lies here that when we are playing a friendly we still are refusing to give our next generation a go. When we played Scotland do we need to have Schwarzer in the nets for his 546th cap?? Why can't Mat Ryan, Mitch Langerak Federici be given games here. Build the competition for spots so Holger has to actually think about picking blokes.

There is also some massive issues with who is being picked as our reserves. Archie Thompson up until last week hadn't scored for Australia in 6 years. He couldn't hit a cows are with a banjo in the HAL last year so why was he even in Lebanon/Jordan?? Form doesn't warrant it. Why wasn't Balbalj / Tombidies / Bulut given a go. Can't be any worse than the hacks running around with walking frames still representing the Socceroos.

Youth has not been given a go under Verbeek or Holger. This team needed regeneration 3 years ago minimum. Have a look at who has been brought along to be considered First XI players by Verbeek >> Holman Holger >> McKay

Each bloke has barely brought through one player from nobody to First XI. Says something doesn't it??

GazFish35
15-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Archie's gets a gig based on the "every team needs a jester" rule.

His inclusion in the squad also serves to give all the guys on the fringes the hope they need to continue to push for a spot.... "if archie gets a spot, surely I will too sometime soon"

It keeps the next group of players striving for a gig, and not giving up.

plague
15-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Why can't Mat Ryan, be given games here.

cause he's Gypo scum.
Wash your mouth out Member.

Langers > Gypo

MFKS
15-09-2012, 07:30 PM
cause he's Gypo scum.
Wash your mouth out Member.

Langers > Gypo

I was leaving that bit out I was just mentioning blokes that other in the Aussie Football fraternity rate highly. This is about the Socceroos and club allegiances should be left at the door. During the game he is a Socceroo (except when they make blatant ****ups ie. he misses blatant goals from free headers and gives away dumb needless penalties (ie JEDINAK YOU GYPO SCUM) and then their gyponess can be cursed). Once the game is over back to Gypo scum

hawk
16-09-2012, 09:22 PM
I was leaving that bit out I was just mentioning blokes that other in the Aussie Football fraternity rate highly. This is about the Socceroos and club allegiances should be left at the door. During the game he is a Socceroo (except when they make blatant ****ups ie. he misses blatant goals from free headers and gives away dumb needless penalties (ie JEDINAK YOU GYPO SCUM) and then their gyponess can be cursed). Once the game is over back to Gypo scum

put this in the rules section

furns
16-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Rules from previous foz still apply.

That is to say the rules don't apply when dealing with Gypos

Bon
24-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this, but the bloke brings up some pretty interesting points about the Socceroo's and football in general in this country..

http://banegasview.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/the-golden-generation-and-our-lack-of.html?m=1

(I'm not sure how to get the article to actually appear on here the way some of you boys put up the daily news stuff, so if someone can edit it and chuck it up like that, cheers)

Skirt Boy
25-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I actually blame the rise of the A-League.

Think about it. A lot of the top players previously would be playing overseas for roughly the same coin. Playing a lot more games ect. Now they can earn good money for less game time in the A-League.

The players who do go overseas are playing in lower lever leagues and shit because they couldn't get a run in the A-League.

Think about it.

GazFish35
25-09-2012, 04:20 PM
The gap between the nsl folding and the a-league starting.... Or the Nyl infact, hasn't helped either.

belchardo
25-09-2012, 04:29 PM
The gap between the nsl folding and the a-league starting.... Or the Nyl infact, hasn't helped either.

yeah, think this is critical. we're in for a few more years of pain i think until we get a "new breed" that has been in the broader a-league system since they were 15 or so.

hawk
27-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Rules from previous foz still apply.

That is to say the rules don't apply when dealing with Gypos

so you like a gypo to miss a pen for aussie. boooooooooo

NewcastleForLife
03-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Not sure how recent this news is but David Carney dropped for the game against Iraq because he doesn't have a club. Hopefully he doesn't have a club until Brazil...
McKay said to take his place at left-back

parksey
03-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I guess Rhys Williams is still out. We should be picking Herd too, even if he does decide to pull out.

ToddG NBUnited
04-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Does anyone know where this game is meant to be played yet?

GazFish35
04-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Dohar

front2
04-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I hope our fall in fifa rankings is not terminal.

Beeen
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Cap Porta

Retro Jet
05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Cap Porta

That my friend would be too logical.

Retro Jet
15-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Any predictions people?
Bresciano isn't holding his breath....

FoxSports
Socceroos veteran Mark Bresciano believes Japan are the top guns of Asia - and that Australia won't be catching them any time soon.
The former Serie A midfielder painted a bleak picture of Australia's standing in the region before Wednesday morning's (1.15am EDT) World Cup qualifying match against Iraq in Doha.
The world No.34 Socceroos have slipped to third in the rankings for Asian teams behind Japan (23) and South Korea (25).
And Bresciano suggested Australia might be bowing down to the Blue Samurai for some time.

"I think it will be very difficult.''
Reigning Asian Cup champions Japan reinforced their rising status on Friday night by defeating France 1-0 in Paris.
Bresciano, a central figure in Australia's 2006 and 2010 FIFA World Cup campaigns, expressed his fears about the development of the next generation of Socceroos.
The skilful midfielder, who had been living out of the country for more than a decade, welcomed Football Federation Australia's decision to appoint Socceroos' great Craig Moore as a mentor for young overseas players.
"I think it's very clear that the standard of our youth isn't what it used to be,'' Bresciano said.
"I'm not sure if it comes down to the coaching we have, whether we have to consider working on the coaches or getting better coaches for our youth.
"They say Australia's kids all want to play football so it can't be the numbers ... I think we've got more numbers playing the game (than) back when we were growing up.
"So it could be the coaching - it could be that some players get badly advised, particularly with their career.
"A lot of players make early moves when it's probably wrong or go to different countries where they won't improve their football.''

Matty's Mowing
16-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking Aussies will get up 2-1. We need this win bad.

russjaybee
16-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Imo we will be out-played and Iraq will win fairly comfortably, with us only threatening once or twice on the counter.
2-0 loss.

viva la revolucion.

plague
16-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Is anyone else slightly concerned that a bloke who is seen as our long term centre back (and future leader) is content to play in the middle east whilst in his mid 20's due to financial security and 1st team football?

Im happy for him to take the cash and look after himself, but if thats the attitude of young players going forward then our national team is in deep shit.
he doesnt really seem to be desperate to become the best footballer he can be, just seems like he wants to do enough so he gets by in life.
strange indeed.

seldom
16-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Loose

Shayne
17-10-2012, 02:41 AM
Hey guys,

Currently in Italy, doesn't seem to be a very high priority for the Italians, does anyone have a link to a live stream so I can still watch the game?

Cheers.

the_butcher
17-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Down 1-0 ****ing shite, sack em all

evolution
17-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Well we got out of jail somehow!

That was some damn Houdini shit right there...

belchardo
17-10-2012, 05:56 AM
passing. how hard is it? they train all day, all week, all year, yet passing the ball so that it leads the man, rather than putting it 1m behind the running player, just seems to be completely beyond them.

lucas once again shows how completely shit he bloody well is these days. brilliant speed to get back and pick up the player that spira had to leave to take the man with the ball, the man lucas should have been marking. if you can't ****ing get back in time you pillock, don't ****ing go up! paartalu anyone???

seriously, no ****ing excuses from holger for the next home matches. a-league is in season, and is a damn sight better than ****ing middle eastern leagues and even MLS.

iraq smashed us. we just scored more goals.

belchardo
17-10-2012, 05:58 AM
YES!!!! LUCAS SUSPENDED FOR NEXT MATCH!!!!! (and valeri)

BodyNovo
17-10-2012, 07:33 AM
i absolutely hate that thompson is scoring atm he is holding back youngsters such as ruka, leckie, oar (to an extent), etc back.

lucas enough said, yes 6 years ago he was our best defender and one of our best at the 2006 world cup but imo ever since he joined west ham his career has been a downward spiral, why he never chose to go to liverpool when he had the chance i have no idea.

we probably will make the world cup, but we are going to get knock out with out much problem, unless osieck starts making some proper changes, especially in the midfield, jedinak and valeri are just not up to standard, valeri doesn't even get a look in at his 2nd division squad, paartuluu starts every week at one of the best ball playing teams in australia/asia. I like matt mckay but he is being wasted at LB, there are 4 better options alone in this country (rose, beich, cassio, goodwin).

our next game is not now until march, if i was osieck i would hold an a-league camp a couple of times and realise how good some of the products are in this country.

I actually believe osieck fears the reaction if he were to drop the figureheads of the last 10 years in this team, besides schwarzer they all now play in leagues which are either on a similar or worse level than the a-league.

boz-monaut
17-10-2012, 07:38 AM
I woke up a little after half time, watched with disgust and then saw Iraq's goal, ragequit and went back to bed

seems to only work when I'm genuinely pissed off and disgusted

Retro Jet
17-10-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking Aussies will get up 2-1. We need this win bad.

And the cupie doll goes to Matty's Mowing. N1

The miracle of Doha.....

Another ugly win. It will be interestig to see what Holger does now without Neill and Valeri foro March next year...
and in between! And on Neill...once again his pace got him into trouble. IF that card was a straight red like it could have been
then we were gone.
Happy for Timmy and Archie...both mates scoring important goals together in a VERY important win.
And was there a player in the Iraqi team bar the keeper who didn't foul Robbie Kruse?
FMd...I know he whinges like a bitch a bit but fair suck of the (sav) sauce bottle.

We've just earnt 6 months to get that rabble into a decent unit. Oman is another must win in March.
Australia need to be in 2nd place going ito the Japan game..... because it'll be Slim Pickens there.

GazFish35
17-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Have only seen the highlights
great ball from Tommy Oar for Archie's goal.
Cahill to miss the next 6 weeks for New York with a back injury from extending so far forward for that header.

3pts.

Jeterpool
17-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Australia need to be in 2nd place going ito the Japan game..... because it'll be Slim Pickens there.

Holger should book the bus now

au revoir
17-10-2012, 09:11 AM
watched with disgust and then saw Iraq's goal, ragequit and went back to bed

did exactly the same. watching australia play these days is a deadset ordeal.

plague
17-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Neill out next match.
OGmonster to come straight back in.
That's Holgers youth policy.
Can't believe I stayed up all night to watch that shite.
Oar did well though.
Jedinak FFS bloke is the worst.

Bremsstrahlung
17-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I actually believe osieck fears the reaction if he were to drop the figureheads of the last 10 years in this team, besides schwarzer they all now play in leagues which are either on a similar or worse level than the a-league.

This.
I think the lay Australian public is also of this belief. "Oh Neil was a standout in Germany, had a bad few games in SA, he'll be right come Brazil." (Not realising he plays what 100+ shite games in between).I think we need to wipe the slate clean, get in a 90% new bunch of players. I feel like we are probably basing the play around what worked 6 years ago for that team. Keeping players like Neil, Bresh, Kewell (until recently), I feel we are basing our game around these players.
I just agree with Body Novo, get a bunch of A-league/fringe players, get rid of the dead wood, and start again. Get a new team with a good mix of players, and find a game plan that suits. Or, even find a game plan, and who fits into this. E.g do you want fast wide midfielders, with a tall target man for crosses (please no). but you get the gist. I think we missed our chance to rebuild, it should've been done straight after SA.

Slater dropping truths, for once: http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/criticism-is-deserved-slater/video-e6frf423-1226497469175?subcat=1111112039415

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/criticism-is-deserved-slater/video-e6frf423-1226497469175?subcat=1111112039415

hawk
17-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Ah, so that was the problem, a new system was used. I see the new system being trialled is incompetence. Mackay siting on the left like a frightened rabbit . Brosque, why is he hanging around this team? Iraq wasnt much chop spesh in attack but still nearly took points.

Still, if we are to watch Aus try and compete in world football at least Asia gives us a competitve if not superior run and more games.

I cant take our nasho side too seriously, sthocceroos ffs.

Jetmaster
17-10-2012, 11:08 AM
This slump has coincided with some older players going for the coin in lesser leagues without the intensity of Europe..I'm honestly starting to believe that apart from the obvious ones to keep like Schwarzer, Kruse, Holman, Timmy etc some of these ones that have moved on like Carney, North, Brosque, Neill etc should get the flick for A-Leaguers in the next game.

What the hell could be wrong with bringing in Vidosic, Portaloo, Sainsbury and Goodwin for example ?

GazFish35
17-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Schwarzer was poorly positioned for their goal.
If he'd been 1 yard further forward to narrow the angle he would have saved it.

only Mark Bridge could have missed Archie's header.
tommy Oar made that goal, best ball into the box ive seen in a socceroos game since the Asian Cup final...... but that was japan crossing the ball, not us.

BodyNovo
17-10-2012, 11:50 AM
the main example as to why i think we need to move some of the players on is:

6 years ago when we made our foray into Asia, the thought of even conceding to Iraq or jordan was not even thought of, our standard was so high that we wanted to smack these teams, even in the early pim days we were beating the qatars and the other minnows 4-0, 3-1, etc.

now a draw away at Oman, coming 2nd in the group is ok for us. We want to be the best in Asia, not 2nd best.

Holger doesn't care about bringing fresh faces he just wants to grind results and make the world cup, we were a threat to teams at the 06 world cup because we took the game to them, if we were to play germany again in a world cup game they would destroy us by a cricket score. the figureheads are resting on there laurals, and they need to be moved on.

parksey
17-10-2012, 11:55 AM
i absolutely hate that thompson is scoring atm he is holding back youngsters such as ruka, leckie, oar (to an extent), etc back.

lucas enough said, yes 6 years ago he was our best defender and one of our best at the 2006 world cup but imo ever since he joined west ham his career has been a downward spiral, why he never chose to go to liverpool when he had the chance i have no idea.

we probably will make the world cup, but we are going to get knock out with out much problem, unless osieck starts making some proper changes, especially in the midfield, jedinak and valeri are just not up to standard, valeri doesn't even get a look in at his 2nd division squad, paartuluu starts every week at one of the best ball playing teams in australia/asia. I like matt mckay but he is being wasted at LB, there are 4 better options alone in this country (rose, beich, cassio, goodwin).

our next game is not now until march, if i was osieck i would hold an a-league camp a couple of times and realise how good some of the products are in this country.

you pretty much said what I was going to. people wonder why we're not playing up to the standard that we're used to, but when your central midfield consists of mile jedinak and carl valeri, with alex brosque your starting striker, then what can you really expect from this team? I die a little inside every time I see jedinak lining up in the tunnel. i don't mind mckay at left back, though, although I think rose is the obvious choice for that position.

we should hurry up and get chris herd into the side and maybe even look at richie porta up front who apparently is interested in playing for us now. james troisi is another option although I'm not really sold on any of our young strikers just yet. rhys williams should play centre back or holding midfield when he comes back into the team.

having said that, I think it was a much improved performance. we completely dominated but were let down by a lack of options/quality in the front third. kruse had the game of his life and it goes to show how important it is for us to have players getting regular game time in good competitions.

thank god for tim cahill - what a header that was. great cross from oar and finish from thompson for the second goal too.

russjaybee
17-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Wish we lost tbh.

Looks like there's no end in sight, we'll continue playing horribly and getting out-played.
National team is unbearable to watch at the moment.

I'll tune back in when there is some kind of change in policy / the people in charge wake up to the mess we're in.

parksey
17-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I was thinking when we went a goal down that, even if we don't qualify automatically in second spot, there is still the chance of knocking new zealand out of the running in the oceania/asia play-off. obviously we're now on the road to direct qualification, but that would have been sweet.

toad
17-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I was thinking when we went a goal down that, even if we don't qualify automatically in second spot, there is still the chance of knocking new zealand out of the running in the oceania/asia play-off. obviously we're now on the road to direct qualification, but that would have been sweet.

i though the 5th place afc team played against a conmebol country?

Grimario
17-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I am a mopey bastard when it comes to complaining about the national team and how the FFA have brought it on themselves. They hired a coach whose sole job requirement was to qualify for the World Cup. No development of youth, integration of youth into the national team, no focus on performance AT the WC (just getting to it) and absolute nothing about beyond Brazil.

Friendlies NOT leading up to tournaments should be used to integrate fringe/youth players. Hell, I would even go so far as to say the Asian Cup is our B-tier target and we should be focussing on fringe/youth/Australia based players in this as well.

Won't happen though, no one wants to rock the boat.

Grimario
17-10-2012, 12:03 PM

It's now against South America again. Two 3rd place teams in Asia play off, winner goes into play off against Uruguay or something.

Bremsstrahlung
17-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Get Tombides in, if he's medically up to it. He was the only shining light in the U/17 world cup team.
Got a couple of minutes for West Ham against Wigan a few weeks ago.

Bremsstrahlung
17-10-2012, 12:08 PM
I am a mopey bastard when it comes to complaining about the national team and how the FFA have brought it on themselves. They hired a coach whose sole job requirement was to qualify for the World Cup. No development of youth, integration of youth into the national team, no focus on performance AT the WC (just getting to it) and absolute nothing about beyond Brazil.

Friendlies NOT leading up to tournaments should be used to integrate fringe/youth players. Hell, I would even go so far as to say the Asian Cup is our B-tier target and we should be focussing on fringe/youth/Australia based players in this as well.

Won't happen though, no one wants to rock the boat.

Wonder if Gallop will order a clean-out?

Mitchy
17-10-2012, 12:20 PM
wins a win

3/4 last games at home, should be right to make Brazil..

Grimario
17-10-2012, 12:21 PM
That mentality is exactly why we are in a shit heap right now.

Who cares about player development and the future as long as we get a win right now.

GG.

MFKS
17-10-2012, 12:33 PM
FFS Can someone elighten me how come Zadko is constantly overlooked for the donkeys in the middle of the park???
HE would provided an energy verve and spark in the team .

Secondly if after the Jordan debacle the coach said playing a friendly days before caused the team to be "flat" why did we cancel the next warm up friendly this time V UAE?? Wouldn't it have been logical to preserve the older starters for the Iraq match and keep them in training, pick a 30 man squad and play UAE and put the Tommy Oar's Matty Leckies Jimmy Hollands Rhys Williams Eli Balbaljs Mitch Langeraks etc in and blood them to speed up generation changeover we so desperately need.

parksey
17-10-2012, 12:35 PM
It's now against South America again. Two 3rd place teams in Asia play off, winner goes into play off against Uruguay or something.

Oh really? We better get that second spot then.

Grimario
17-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Secondly if after the Jordan debacle the coach said playing a friendly days before caused the team to be "flat" why did we cancel the next warm up friendly this time V UAE?? Wouldn't it have been logical to preserve the older starters for the Iraq match and keep them in training, pick a 30 man squad and play UAE and put the Tommy Oar's Matty Leckies Jimmy Hollands Rhys Williams Eli Balbaljs Mitch Langeraks etc in and blood them to speed up generation changeover we so desperately need.

Because that would be a great idea and we are void of those at the top.

NewcastleForLife
17-10-2012, 01:54 PM

I think that we should getting managers to manage from Asian Cup to Asian Cup with a new one that comes in after each Asian Cup. Then the only bonus they get is for making the round of 16 at the WC and for winning the Asian Cup. It means they have ~3 years to gel a team together before the first tournament and they might actually need to blood youth/new players for the future.

Just my 2c

sh10
17-10-2012, 02:22 PM
^ I like

Pico
18-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm hoping the FFA has some sense to use the east asian championship for forcing Holger to use younger players / HAL players.

This is the tournament that traditionally Japan, SK & china use to blood the youth / fringe that play in their domestic league, hopefully Australia does the same and qualifies instead of taking the tempting easy money option of using the older players yet again.

I believe that luck may be on our sides as I think the middle east leagues will all be in season and as they are on non fifa dates the Holgers hand will be pushed.

www.smh.com.au/sport/football/money-talks-as-socceroos-make-east-asia-debut-20120829-25149.html

Grimario
18-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Why on earth would we do the sensible option? Would not be surprised to see Moore and Tiatto dragged out of retirement because they are a higher standard than A-League and youth.

FFA? More like FFS.

russjaybee
18-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Double F A*

MFKS
18-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I think that we should getting managers to manage from Asian Cup to Asian Cup with a new one that comes in after each Asian Cup. Then the only bonus they get is for making the round of 16 at the WC and for winning the Asian Cup. It means they have ~3 years to gel a team together before the first tournament and they might actually need to blood youth/new players for the future.

Just my 2c

Bang on the money this idea. Our aim for our NT should be to build for our Confederation title first and WCQ second. At present it is the other way round. The FFA have factored so much of Footballs future on a WCQ campaign success it would be a disaster to not qualify.

Under Hiddink his objective was obviously to qualify us and then once achieved out on a good performance which we did and probably exceeded expectation. Arnold took over for the next year or so and held the fort at the Asian Cup 2007 and then Verbeek came in.

Pim's objective was to qualify us for the World Cup and the bloke done that. The style of play was poor and unimaginative and the only player he brought through for us was Holman. All Pim done was work on the FFA's target of WCQ and he achieved that. As a result building any type of legacy or rejuvenation and squad development took a back seat as Pim targeted the FFA's objective and also got his KPI bonuses for achieving targets. Once we got to Sth Africa the lack of rebuilding and methods we used to get to WC came back to bite us fair on the arse and we were highly disappointing. Pim in the meantime ****s off to Morocco with a nice big cheque from the FFA for delivering what he was requested to do

Pim moves on and in comes Holger once again the same target laid down by the FFA World Cup Qualification. Holger looks at squad and backs he can make to Brasil with the same squad. Campaign starts off well with good results in friendlies and a near miss at Winning the Asian Cup in 2011. As the WCQ campaign kicks off we start to show signs of our struggle with disappointing efforts V Thailand a loss in Oman but still come through the group. Moving onto the next round we start to lose some friendlies after playing poorly and then can only manage a Draw in Oman a draw against a quality opponent in Japan at home and then we lose in Jordan and the whole plan is coming into question. Then we turn up in Doha and somehow lose a goal with 20 mins to go and the campaign is almost ****ed. Somehow we get out of jail and with 3 home games to come we are sitting in 2nd spot and should shit it in. When we get to Brazil we will more than likely struggle. Once again Holger will disappear into the sunset with a nice big bonus from the FFA and we will be left with the memory of a shitful WC campaign

All of this is down to the FFA WCQ is a necessity plan. If our NT Manager wasn't so focused in getting us to a WC we would see a different Socceroos team than we currently have. If the NT Manager's contract wasn't geared so much towards significant pay outs in bonuses for WCQ we would see a different Socceroos team. If we had spent the last 2 years after Sth Africa rebuilding we more than likely would still be qualifying with a younger side and also in a position where when we get to Brazil maybe in a position to spring a surprise to not only ourselves but the world.

The current set up just causes the NT to refuse to take any risks to grow and develop. It is a disgrace that we can still most likely qualify for 2014 using the old timers from the 2006 campaign. Name me another country who will be in qualifying for the 2014 WC would be using the bulk of their 2006 squad?? The change that needs to occur needs to start at the top with the FFA

Retro Jet
18-10-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm hoping the FFA has some sense to use the east asian championship for forcing Holger to use younger players / HAL players.

This is the tournament that traditionally Japan, SK & china use to blood the youth / fringe that play in their domestic league, hopefully Australia does the same and qualifies instead of taking the tempting easy money option of using the older players yet again.

I believe that luck may be on our sides as I think the middle east leagues will all be in season and as they are on non fifa dates the Holgers hand will be pushed.

www.smh.com.au/sport/football/money-talks-as-socceroos-make-east-asia-debut-20120829-25149.html

N1 Pico. Didn't know we'd entered this tournament. Cheers

Pico
18-10-2012, 04:53 PM

I won't be too happy if with Goodwin in good form and the possibility of losing griffiths as well it could derail our HAL season by ripping out our in form players, if on the other hand they turn a blind eye to newy we could be playing some understrength teams, must be anges strategy for the start of the year... :roflz:

People need to remember that the FFA's finances are, well 100%, linked to WCQ and the revenue it brings. The fact that the FFA lose money 3 out of 4 years of the WC cycle shows how reliant on that qualification they are for staying afloat. Cut the financial dependance by getting increased revenue from other sources (Asian Cup, East Asia Champs, TV Rights or even Confed Cup) will need to happen before the WCQ stance is changed.

It also should be pointed out that we need to qualify to reap the financial rewards from the East Asian Champs, which if the FFA is desperate enough, they could just tell Holger the same thing as the WCQ, win at all costs.

boz-monaut
18-10-2012, 06:55 PM

don't you people read my posts?

http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?237-2013-East-Asian-Championships

it's about six down in line in this forum, been there for months

MFKS
18-10-2012, 07:08 PM
People need to remember that the FFA's finances are, well 100%, linked to WCQ and the revenue it brings. The fact that the FFA lose money 3 out of 4 years of the WC cycle shows how reliant on that qualification they are for staying afloat. Cut the financial dependance by getting increased revenue from other sources (Asian Cup, East Asia Champs, TV Rights or even Confed Cup) will need to happen before the WCQ stance is changed.

It also should be pointed out that we need to qualify to reap the financial rewards from the East Asian Champs, which if the FFA is desperate enough, they could just tell Holger the same thing as the WCQ, win at all costs.

That is the biggest problem facing the game in this country at present the FFA. Sure they may have built the game up in the last 8 or so years but everything is tied to the WCQ campaign and the Socceroos being successful. What happens when they ain't??

This whole all the eggs in one basket strategy works to a point but the FFA despite being run by a bloke who is a billionaire don't seem to understand the philosophy of diversifying risk. That is why we also see the farcical situation in the HAL where teams are being propped up by one owner and when they run into difficulty financially the shit hits the fan. Very little is being done by the FFA to spread the club ownership models to a multiple number of stakeholders to ease the burden when things hit the fan.

In my opinion we should be looking at 4-6 owners per franchise. Not the 1 millionaire. Hopefully when the FFA rids themselves of WSW they will actually set this club up right with a dependable and reliable model of ownership that can then be pushed through as the right way to go for the rest of the HAL Clubs

baldrick
16-11-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDZvCa3MuOU

16th November 2005. 7 years ago today.

plague
16-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Epic night.

belchardo
16-11-2012, 07:45 PM
fantastic night.

marching down the middle of george st at 3am with a police escort. great stuff.

plague
08-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Lads, heading to Melbourne for the Jordan game, need some help with seating at Docklands.
What do you think is best at that stadium (for football) front of top section, corner of middle section, or corner of lower bowl.
Any feedback much appreciated.
Cheers.

q-money
08-01-2013, 04:51 PM
go up a tier for sure, the bottom is pretty rubbish imo

boz-monaut
08-01-2013, 04:52 PM
what seating are they having for the game?

I went to one Socceroos game that had the ends shifted in

I've sat front of top section before and it was pretty damn good - you're not as far away as you would be at Homebush

plague
08-01-2013, 07:07 PM
what seating are they having for the game?

I went to one Socceroos game that had the ends shifted in

I've sat front of top section before and it was pretty damn good - you're not as far away as you would be at Homebush

From the ticketmaster map it looks like the bottom bays along side of pitch have been brought in. there are seats available in the middle tier just off the half way line (above where those moved in bays are). thinking of hitting those, have been told the whole bottom area is pretty bad viewing wise.
have seen AFL from middle of top tier and had a good view just wasnt sure how much further in a football pitch would be.
cheers for the feedback.

hawk
08-01-2013, 10:11 PM
I won't be too happy if with Goodwin in good form and the possibility of losing griffiths as well it could derail our HAL season by ripping out our in form players.

lololol

Imyourhero
12-03-2013, 03:02 PM
LETS GO YOU ROOOOOOOOOOOOOS!
2 weeks!
Holger better make some good selections tomorrow.
Rogic and Oar at very least!

seldom
12-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Yeah probs be a good idea to look to the future soon...either that or play Emmerton,Lucas and co.

p.s. FFS

hawk
12-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Put the youngins in. Its time. We may have to forgo a cup

Imyourhero
13-03-2013, 12:02 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/osieck-names-squad-to-face-oman/62843

Heres the squad.
Im very happy with it

seldom
13-03-2013, 12:19 PM
yeah good squad...will be interesting to see who he starts though

Imyourhero
13-03-2013, 12:37 PM
my 11 would go somthing like this;

Schwarz

wilkshire, cornthwaite, djublic, zullo

Jedinak

Kruse Bresciano Oar

Rogic

Cahill/Thompson

Many other options to play in this squad, so either way we should have some good impact players off the bench.

MFKS
26-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Schwarzer(c), Cahill, Wilkshire, Kruse, Holman, Jedinak, Holland, McKay, Cornthwaite, Brosque, Thwaite

Team for tonights game V Oman

belchardo
26-03-2013, 07:25 PM
good to see holland getting a starting run.

carn the roos!

snake
26-03-2013, 07:48 PM
drain the pond

MFKS
26-03-2013, 08:21 PM
GVE >>>> Holger:banghead:

moses
26-03-2013, 08:37 PM
:roflz:

moses
26-03-2013, 08:40 PM
:sparring:

weston
26-03-2013, 08:58 PM
If another Oman payer gets stretchered off and than gets instantly to his feet as he hovers over the white sideline, i want that man assasinated.

Ridiculous.

belchardo
26-03-2013, 08:59 PM
poor passing, poor crossing, poor marking, poor decision making.

like watching the jets.

we aren't winning this one. what a pathetic performance.

belchardo
26-03-2013, 09:01 PM
oh, and timely highlight there too. jedinak is SHIT!

belchardo
26-03-2013, 09:23 PM
now i know how all the other teams must have felt when schwarzer kept us in dozens of matches throughout the years.

MFKS
26-03-2013, 10:26 PM
If another Oman payer gets stretchered off and than gets instantly to his feet as he hovers over the white sideline, i want that man assasinated.

Ridiculous.

Did like how the Socceroos:

1 Refused to put the ball out when one of them went down by sniper shot. Eventually the Omani put it out and when play resumed we took the throw in and played on
:grin:

2 Another time the Omanis put it out, We took the throw in if nothing ever happened. Omani crowd started booing:roflz:

All teams should adopt this tactic and stop this incessant shit with blokes going down needlessly.

Whoever said just like watching the Jets +1 to that

militiamon
26-03-2013, 10:39 PM
lol, my single favourite moment of the match was when Le Guen was giving it to Holger after that Wilkshire's tackle on the Omani player in the corner, and Holger responding with a violin hand motion :rof: :violin: :rof:

parksey
26-03-2013, 10:55 PM
So we're pretty shit now huh

militiamon
26-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Remember how everyone kept saying that after all the Golden Generation™ players retired we would be shit?

I think this was the first game that it really sunk in for me. This is reality now. ****.

seldom
26-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Possession Stats:-

Cahills forehead 70%....Oman 30%

pudy
27-03-2013, 07:39 AM
From what I have seen from our last few games.. we will probably only beat Iraq in our remaining three qualifiers. Can't see us going to Japan and getting anything more than a lucky draw, and sadly Jordan had our measure last time and will have absolutely nothing to lose coming here (much better team than Oman too). I think we'll end up on 10 points. This may still get us second place.. but more likely third.

pudy
27-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Remember how everyone kept saying that after all the Golden Generation™ players retired we would be shit?

I think this was the first game that it really sunk in for me. This is reality now. ****.

Felt much the same way. We may still make the WC, but there will be no 'easy' games for us where we can almost guarantee three points before the match. Every game now is going to be a rollercoaster, and we'll have to be scrapping and scraping against Jordan and Iraq.. because we've fallen back to their level.

Jeterpool
27-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Bozza's half time rant was brilliant. He should have been delivering the half time talk and he looked absolutely furious at what he saw.

It was a terrible performance last night. Jedinak was terrible - absolute passenger. Holman was walking all over. The HUGE gap in central midfield needs to be addressed. It was rectified to an extent when Bresciano came on. Rogic should have come on for Holman I thought but the injury would have scuppered any potential planned subs Holger had.

I struggle to believe we will make the World Cup after a performance like that.

pastor399
27-03-2013, 09:37 AM
I struggle to believe we will make the World Cup after a performance like that.

Japan have at least qualified for the 5th Round.

On the next match day (4 June 2013)
Japan will qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup if: they do not lose to Australia, OR Iraq do not defeat Oman.
Oman will be unable to qualify directly if they lose to Iraq AND Australia defeat Japan.

and as the groups stand at the moment, Australia is headed for a 5th Round Playoff against Iran who are currently third in the other group..........seems like DejaVu........except this time even if we defeated Iran, we would have to play-off against the 5th team from Conmebol, which will most likely be either Peru or Chile...........and as a Peruvian myself, i hope that we get to see Australia vs Peru.............Chile would be good aswell, Venezuala....not so much.

Retro Jet
27-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Looks like we're heading to Brazil the long way round via Iran then possibly Venezuela, Chile or Peru......

Retro Jet
27-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Posts 1 minute apart Pastor lol
Great minds....

Just wish we had some on the field last night and 1 in control.

pudy
27-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Don't see us making it via 2 sets of playoffs. It's either come second in the group or bust.. Aus v Jordan in Melbourne will be the game that decides everything for mine. Win that and we'll make it.

pudy
27-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Nervous times coming in June.

q-money
27-03-2013, 09:52 AM
club > country

oh wait

Retro Jet
27-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Fook mi (wot ever happened to him/her?)
When you think of quality defenders in the HAL, Michael "I have the worst goal celebration in A-League history" Thwaite doesn't
exactly spring to my mind.
Still scratching my head as to how he even got into the squad!

MFKS
27-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Same with Cornthwaite.

Same with Holman. If those 11 are the nest we have god help us!!

Can't work out how blokes like Balbalj Rogic Oar Rhys Williams ain't starting.

If the efforts in midfield are anything to go by last night then surely Zads is due a call up cause he would offer 20 times more enthusiasm than that Gypo did last night

militiamon
27-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Fook mi (wot ever happened to him/her?)
When you think of quality defenders in the HAL, Michael "I have the worst goal celebration in A-League history" Thwaite doesn't
exactly spring to my mind.
Still scratching my head as to how he even got into the squad!

To be fair, A-League commentators have been saying Thwaite should be playing for the national team for years now. I can see why as well, he is a strong leader at the A-League level.

Agree that he looked out of depth against these d00dz though.

Tommyjet
27-03-2013, 07:14 PM
I think we have a missing generation at the moment and wouldn't be surprised if we miss 2014, but I'm excited for 2018. A lot of good youngsters coming through at home and abroad.

MFKS
23-05-2013, 12:52 PM
2014 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifiers – June 2013

NAME CLUB A-International Caps (goals)
Mark BRESCIANO, Al Gharafa, QATAR - 66 (12)
Alex BROSQUE, Al-Ain Club, UAE - 21 (5)
Tim CAHILL, New York Red Bulls, USA - 61 (27)
Robert CORNTHWAITE, Chunnam Dragons, KOREA REPUBLIC - 7 (3)
Ivan FRANJIC, Brisbane Roar FC, AUSTRALIA - 3 (0)
Eugene GALEKOVIC, Adelaide United FC, AUSTRALIA - 6 (0)
James HOLLAND, FK Austria Vienna, AUSTRIA - 10 (0)
Brett HOLMAN, Aston Villa FC, ENGLAND - 59 (9)
Mile JEDINAK, Crystal Palace FC, ENGLAND - 38 (3)
Josh KENNEDY, Nagoya Grampus, JAPAN - 30 (15)
Robbie KRUSE, Fortuna Dusseldorf, GERMANY - 23 (2)
Mitchell LANGERAK (gk), B.V. Borussia 09 Dortmund, GERMANY
Ryan McGOWAN, Shandong Luneng Taishan FC, CHINA PR - 3 (0)
Matthew McKAY, Changchun Yatai FC, CHINA PR - 35 (1)
Mark MILLIGAN, Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA - 19 (2)
Lucas NEILL, uncontracted - 89 (0)
Jade NORTH, Brisbane Roar FC, AUSTRALIA - 39 (0)
Tommy OAR, FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - 7 (0)
Sasa OGNENOVSKI, Umm Salal SC, QATAR - 18 (1)
Tom ROGIC, Celtic FC, SCOTLAND - 4 (0)
Mark SCHWARZER (gk), Fulham FC, ENGLAND - 105 (0)
Archie THOMPSON, Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA - 47 (28)
Michael THWAITE, Perth Glory FC, AUSTRALIA - 11 (0)
Dario VIDOSIC, Adelaide United FC, AUSTRALIA - 14 (1)
Luke WILKSHIRE, FK Dinamo Moscow, RUSSIA - 75 (8)
Michael ZULLO, FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - 10 (0)

for the june qualifiers

Grimario
23-05-2013, 01:11 PM
So Holger can use the "Sorry Harry, without a club you can't play" line but the captain gets in despite being absolutely awful and clubless right now?

Holger out.

**** I hate football right now.

lquiquer
23-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Not even one gypo in the squad

BodyNovo
23-05-2013, 01:21 PM
luca$ consistently getting his way.

looks like holgers calling the big guns in ogg & kennedy back, I feel so much better.

Grimario
23-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Clearly has been watching the success of GVE and realised we need a big guy up front to play hoofball. Can't wait for Lucas pinging 60m balls for Kennedy to head down. Glory days.

23-05-2013, 02:18 PM
^ Does that also mean Schwarz to have the most touches in our games ?.

GazFish35
23-05-2013, 04:09 PM
So Holger can use the "Sorry Harry, without a club you can't play" line but the captain gets in despite being absolutely awful and clubless right now?

Holger out.

**** I hate football right now.

Harry has been on borrowed time since he thought he had gout in 2006
Lucash has only been on borrowed time for 12months

Beeen
23-05-2013, 06:34 PM
FMD Robert Cornthwaite, says it all really.

Surely there is an Australian defender playing regularly somewhere in the world worthy of a spot over this walloper.

furns
24-05-2013, 11:33 AM
only people who rate Cornflakes are B-League fanbois

belchardo
24-05-2013, 08:35 PM
only people who rate Cornflakes are B-League fanbois

or the national team manager :(

militiamon
24-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Isn't his goals to games ratio for the NT better than nearly all of our current strikers?

:gent:

q-money
24-05-2013, 09:03 PM
He is great, legit better than kennedy

militiamon
24-05-2013, 09:20 PM
The new Dukes/Moore.

Where's ya Spiranovic?

pv4
24-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Not even one gypo in the squad

jedinak and rogic are in there. Or do you mean current?

seldom
24-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Well if Rogic isnt linked to grossford anymore he should start IMO

MFKS
25-05-2013, 12:16 AM
jedinak GUILTY and rogic GUILTY are in there. Or do you mean current?

They are Gypo scum whether they play for Socceroos or not. Can't wash the odour off them

pv4
25-05-2013, 07:11 AM
They are Gypo scum whether they play for Socceroos or not. Can't wash the odour off them

allegiances are out of the door come NT time.

don't forget we (jets) have had a few central coast locals play for us too.

we even have some fans who live south of t-west 2283 postcode - gypos everywhere

boz-monaut
25-05-2013, 09:49 AM
allegiances are out of the door come NT time.

this

GazFish35
25-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Pv4 speaks truth MFKS, we must support anyone in the national team.

Except hutcho, but hall never happen

25-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Hutcho, Malta's very own Beckham.

Only reason he got a start is Malta's entire population comes to a total sum of 10.

hawk
25-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Pv4 speaks truth MFKS, we must support anyone in the national team.

but if they fk up they get extra spray

Bluebeard
29-05-2013, 07:34 PM
no world cup for you boys in 2014 - support the Poms

hawk
30-05-2013, 10:23 AM
no world cup for you boys in 2014 - support the poms

edl edl...

Imyourhero
31-05-2013, 10:35 PM
my proposed lineup for japan game;
wilshere------Og-----Neill-------Zullo
--------Jedinak-----Bresc-----------
Kruse----------Rogic---------Holman
---------------Cahill----------------

Biggest debate for CB's however against the likes of Japan i think Og and Neill's physical presence and experience is the best pairing.

MFKS
31-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Ummm we will park the bus and hope to jag a draw or an arsey backs to the wall sucker punch win.

No way in the world Rogic/Bresciano will be in the starting line up. Workmanlike midfield will be a must. We will have two blokes in their like Jedinak/Miligan/McKay who will run all day and offer **** all creatively.

This is Holger don't forget. He ain't gonna go an attack the Japs on their own turf when he don't attack Oman on Aussie turf

Imyourhero
31-05-2013, 11:04 PM
One can only dream!

militiamon
31-05-2013, 11:04 PM

Biggest debate for CB's however against the likes of Japan i think Og and Neill's physical presence and experience is the best pairing.

Decent line-up mate, very close to my own actually:

---------------Spiranovic----------------

seldom
31-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Hope you guys are right Rogic needs to start even if it is for the future and can see the striker debate...cahill will be a weapon against them whether he starts or comes off the bench. Just hope we try and play some football before goin aerial all game

pv4
01-06-2013, 07:17 AM
spira up front :lol:

what I expect from lolger:

--------------schwarzer------------
wilkshere--neill----og-------mckay
-----------jedi-----thwaite---------
--holman-----bresc-------brosque
--------------cahill-----------------

what I would love to see:

--------------langerak---------------
mcgowan--spira--williams-----zullo
-----------jedi-----bresc------------
kruse----------rogic-------------ruka
-------------kennedy----------------

GazFish35
01-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Hope you guys are right Rogic needs to start even if it is for the future and can see the striker debate...cahill will be a weapon against them whether he starts or comes off the bench. Just hope we try and play some football before goin aerial all game

But if we lose, the will be no future.

belchardo
01-06-2013, 09:21 AM
what I would love to see:

--------------langerak---------------
mcgowan--spira--williams-----zullo
-----------jedi-----bresc------------
kruse----------rogic-------------ruka
-------------kennedy----------------

would be great for a friendly, but given their lack of experience, i'd prefer a few older heads in there.

MFKS
01-06-2013, 09:42 AM
But if we lose, the will be no future.

We can afford to lose the Japan game. Getting a draw/win will be a bonus as it will ease the pressure before the two home games.

If we can't beat Jordan and Iraq at home we won't be going to the WC. These 2 games a MUST win

If we can't beat these teams we don't deserve to be there anyways.

pv4
01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
would be great for a friendly, but given their lack of experience, i'd prefer a few older heads in there.

their lack of experience can be solely blamed on lolger's team selections post 2010.

btw it is an outrage we had no friendly leading up to the japan game. japan played Bulgaria a night or two ago - we've had a training run and a "trial" against a sydney state league side. surprised the lack of decent preparation hasn't been getting more attention tbh. it's as if hsg and gve are organising their preseason :rof:

parksey
01-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Decent line-up mate, very close to my own actually:

---------------Spiranovic----------------

both pretty nice line-ups (apart from the bolded player above), but we all know it will be more like this:

----------------Schwarz
Wilshire------Og------Neill--------McKay
-----------Jedinak---Bresciano
Kruse-----------Cahill-----------Holman
---------------Kennedy

hawk
01-06-2013, 11:37 AM
btw it is an outrage we had no friendly leading up to the japan game. japan played Bulgaria a night or two ago - we've had a training run and a "trial" against a sydney state league side. :

Geez we are gonna be caught in the spottys wondering what to do.

pv4
02-06-2013, 09:27 PM
both pretty nice line-ups (apart from the bolded player above), but we all know it will be more like this:

----------------Schwarz
Wilshire------Og------Neill--------McKay
-----------Jedinak---Bresciano
Kruse-----------Cahill-----------Holman
---------------Kennedy

there's not enough natural centre backs in your lineup to be considered for a lolger lineup parksey.

The spira striker :rof: he's not even in the squad ffs. militia must have meant someone else

pv4
02-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Also whether we have cahill or kennedy up front we're going to be crossing a lot. can't see lolger playing holman on the left

he also creams for the brosque/cahill combo

militiamon
03-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Woops, my bad. I meant Eddie Bosnar guys.

Imyourhero
03-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Brosque is the last guy that should be in contention.

joel31
03-06-2013, 02:29 PM
What I want to see
------------------Langerak
Wilshere---McGowan--Ognenovski---Zullo
-----------Jedinak--------Milligan
Kruse--------------Rogic-----------------Oar
--------------------Cahill

russjaybee
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Where's every jerk watching this? It's on Fox isn't it?
Any decent pubs around newy that would have it on and a bit of a crowd?

Ps know holger brosque will start and I'll want to fking neck my self.
Actually I'm pretty sure the last aus game with brosque playing up front was what made me rage quit these forums, total cbf mode.

Imyourhero
03-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Where's every jerk watching this? It's on Fox isn't it?
Any decent pubs around newy that would have it on and a bit of a crowd?

Ps know holger brosque will start and I'll want to fking neck my self.
Actually I'm pretty sure the last aus game with brosque playing up front was what made me rage quit these forums, total cbf mode.

It'll be on SBS kickoff 9pm which is 30mins behind

Pico
03-06-2013, 05:01 PM
It'll be on SBS kickoff 9pm which is 30mins behind

Is that kick off or just telecast start, last time I watched SBS they put a 30min pre-game on so it was really about an hour delay.

MFKS
03-06-2013, 05:17 PM
SBS Coverage starts at 9pm and finishes at 1145pm.

So by my counts that's gonna be about 1 hour of dribble from Les Foster and Zdrillic and co. Most likely no game until 9:30 with a half hour of Foster dribbling pre game

toad
03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
afaik sbs's agreement says they have to delay it by 1 hour, so it'll be starting on sbs at 9:34pm at the earliest (starts at 7:34pm japan time, 8:34pm our time live).

joel31
03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
I'll be watching on sbs as I don't have pay tv.

boz-monaut
03-06-2013, 08:06 PM
there will be a thread for people like us Joel

spoilers will be banned

Imyourhero
03-06-2013, 08:10 PM
there will be a thread for people like us Joel

spoilers will be banned

I will be going into hibernation mode tomorrow night, severing all ties with social media and the outside world, if anybody wrecks the result for me i will not be held accountable for the fit of rage that will follow! haha!

boz-monaut
03-06-2013, 08:19 PM
there will be a thread for us to talk about the game - my suggestion is to open it before the game kicks off and close all other windows/tabs

pre-emptive bannings may be required

Grimario
03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
I will be going into hibernation mode tomorrow night, severing all ties with social media and the outside world, if anybody wrecks the result for me i will not be held accountable for the fit of rage that will follow! haha!

Japan win 4-1, we get a player sent off.

In a surprising show of Japanese honour, Osieck walks into the middle of the pitch and commits seppuku.

One could hope.

pv4
03-06-2013, 08:27 PM
there will be a thread for us to talk about the game - my suggestion is to open it before the game kicks off and close all other windows/tabs

pre-emptive bannings may be required

http://i40.tinypic.com/2z5r5p4.png

Imyourhero
03-06-2013, 08:34 PM
As much as everyone hates it i honestly think when it comes to Australia vs Japan our best chance of getting a result is by optimizing set piece chances and tip-toeing the lines of aggression and everyone getting yellow cards, i couldn't give a f**k how we get a result in this particular game we just need to do it. The japanese have made it pretty obvious that they dislike when we use that style and for good reason.

My tip Aus 2- Jap 2

militiamon
03-06-2013, 08:45 PM
I assume everyone else saw how Japan dissed us by saying we were probably shitter than Bulgaria...

...right before they lost 2-0 to Bulgaria.

Imyourhero
03-06-2013, 08:51 PM
I assume everyone else saw how Japan dissed us by saying we were probably shitter than Bulgaria...

Mind games are a wonderful things. Rookie error though....don't trash talk Australians!!

belchardo
03-06-2013, 08:55 PM

imagine how many we'd lose to bulgaria by...

pv4
03-06-2013, 09:06 PM
the most upsetting thing about the bulgaria comment is i don't think anyone can confidently say that we would beat bulgaria either.

boz - i am keen to sign up for this hour-delay foz

belchardo
04-06-2013, 06:29 AM
woo football day!!!!

Blackmac79
04-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Huzzah!

Rocknerd
04-06-2013, 09:38 AM
woo football day!!!!

Huzzah!

It's about time! bring on delay television! will be switching off all social media and communication devises from 7 PM EST

russjaybee
04-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Keen for sbs delayed kick off.
GTFO spoilers etc

belchardo
04-06-2013, 09:41 AM
horrible feeling we'll lose 4-0. 3-0 at half time.

joel31
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
I think we will snatch a 1-1 draw but they'll play us off the park

plague
04-06-2013, 12:31 PM
horrible feeling we'll lose 4-0. 3-0 at half time.

This.

boz-monaut
04-06-2013, 12:40 PM
I just feel so thoroughly underwhelmed by this whole qualification process

the national team barely holds any interest now that we're utterly shit, old and uninspiring

Rocknerd
04-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah, the old guard and poor tactics has left a bad taste in my mouth since before we left for the last world Cup. I've said it before and i'll continue to say it, I'd rather miss out on the next world cup if it meant rebuilding a squad of players who can become the next generation rather than putting our trust in a bunch of old guys who will make our 2014 squad the oldest in the World. 23-33 for 85% of the squad and the other 15% of 34-37 year olds for train on mentoring roles only.

Imagine being a young up and coming mid and you have Breshes or Kewell or Grella giving you sound advice on improving your game how much could Langerak learn from Schwarzer . it's win win.

Youaskedforit
04-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I hope bozza flys over there and gives them a pre game talk, that last serving he gave to them was fully deserved at half time in the last game, and i hope he doesnt have to give the same half time talk this time, but it was gold

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I hope bozza flys over there and gives them a pre game talk, that last serving he gave to them was fully deserved at half time in the last game, and i hope he doesnt have to give the same half time talk this time, but it was gold

Wasn't it just. I sat there, soaked up ever word and thought he should be saying this at the players instead. The Boz knows his stuff for sure.

belchardo
04-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Wasn't it just. I sat there, soaked up ever word and thought he should be saying this at the players instead. The Boz knows his stuff for sure.

ditto.

wait, are we talking about the Fox Boz or the Forum Boz?

:)

04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Forum Boz > Fox Boz

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 06:07 PM
ditto.

wait, are we talking about the Fox Boz or the Forum Boz?

:)

Forum Boz > Fox Boz

Goes without saying

Grimario
04-06-2013, 06:31 PM
FOX SPORTS Football ‏@FOXFootballLive 13m
Aussie line-up: Schwarzer; Wilkshere; Neil; Ognenovski; McKay; Milligan; Bresciano; Oar; Kruse; Holman; Cahill. #JPNvAUS

Oar and Kruse, whoo. No Jesus though, boo.

Imyourhero
04-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Lineup looks good.
Bit worried about Milligan though as i wouldn't say marking quick little nippy players is his strong point and tends to give away silly fouls.

pv4
04-06-2013, 06:58 PM
apparently jedi is injured.

surprised both oar and kruse are starting.

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Not a bad lineup. Would have liked to have seen Kennedy. Hope he's introduced later on

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Holman...some cutting passes but is the laziest bloke out there. Wilkshere having a but if a mate too

belchardo
04-06-2013, 09:27 PM
happy with that, but bit concerned (basically as bosnich is now saying) about whether our ageing players without a team will hold up for the whole match.

great save by schwarzer.

wilkshire playing like absolute shite. kruse apparently forgot to put his contacts in or something, his ball control has been pretty crap as well.

belchardo
04-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Holman...some cutting passes but is the laziest bloke out there. Wilkshere having a but if a mate too

that shot :oops: get your head up son!

belchardo
04-06-2013, 09:29 PM
forgot that shot from kruse, good effort. that pass must have run through the longest grass on the field to hold up like that. still not really sure how the ball got through to be honest.

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Holman leading MoM voting!? Kidding right.

Dario already provides much more energy. Holman was walking from 5 minutes. Lazy player

Retro Jet
04-06-2013, 10:11 PM
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!
Go Tommy!

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Get in!!!!!!!!!!

belchardo
****ing yeah!

belchardo
ridiculous.

now get the **** back and defend you bastards!

furns
04-06-2013, 10:13 PM
was it just me or did that hit the toe of the defender as he crossed it?

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Stay focused now!

baldrick
04-06-2013, 10:15 PM

Looked like a it took a little deflection to me

:D

Jeterpool

I think so

belchardo

stop being such a negative-nancy. greatest shot ever.

belchardo
04-06-2013, 10:20 PM
come on schwarz!

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Damn

belchardo
04-06-2013, 10:21 PM

baldrick
04-06-2013, 10:22 PM
poo

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Football sucks sometimes

belchardo
04-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Football sucks sometimes

ken oath.

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd have taken a point if you asked me at the start of the game.

But I can't help but feel that's two points dropped

belchardo
04-06-2013, 10:25 PM
gutting.

if you'd told me before the game we'd get a 1-1 draw i'd have been over the moon, but shit that's tough to take.

no doubt about it, japan were better and deserved a point, but shit. christ. just bugger.

belchardo
04-06-2013, 10:27 PM
night just got worse. i agreed with robbie slater again. i hate my life sometimes.

belchardo
04-06-2013, 10:28 PM
ange angling for the national manager job?

baldrick
04-06-2013, 10:29 PM
i agreed with robbie slater again

:(

belchardo
04-06-2013, 10:30 PM
btw, farken carn the draw oman v iraq

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 10:32 PM
ange angling for the national manager job?

I hope so. Bozza as assistant

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Someone go to the No Spoilers thread and put those bastards out the misery ahead of them.

No more people need to feel this crap

belchardo
04-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Someone go to the No Spoilers thread and put those bastards out the misery ahead of them.

No more people need to feel this crap

as a wise man said

Football sucks sometimes

embrace the suck. makes the good times even better.

think of the explosion when the jets jag a championship again after the shite we've put up with over the last couple of seasons. :D

evolution
04-06-2013, 10:52 PM
think of the explosion when the jets jag a championship again

Hahahaha... thank man, I needed a laugh after that!

Jeterpool
04-06-2013, 11:02 PM
as a wise man said

embrace the suck. makes the good times even better.

think of the explosion when the jets jag a championship again after the shite we've put up with over the last couple of seasons. :D

True! I hope it's sooner than we expect

Two must win games now

belchardo
04-06-2013, 11:12 PM
watching the high definition replay on SBS makes it even harder to take the upcoming penalty.

parksey
04-06-2013, 11:14 PM
matt mckay smh

belchardo
04-06-2013, 11:17 PM
matt mckay smh

easy in hindsight, but reckon you'd have done it in real time too. i would have. instinct.

not going to blame him. going to blame holger and the shit performances in the previous 5 games for our current position.

nil all 15 minutes gone in the oman v iraq game.

plague
04-06-2013, 11:24 PM
I dunno. reading the no spoilers thread PV4 was hating on him (McKay) all game.
That thread made for excellent reading though.
Boz and PV4 were like clairvoyants.
Poor buggers.

parksey
04-06-2013, 11:28 PM
easy in hindsight, but reckon you'd have done it in real time too. i would have. instinct.

not going to blame him. going to blame holger and the shit performances in the previous 5 games for our current position.

nil all 15 minutes gone in the oman v iraq game.

i don't tend to throw my arm out like that when playing tbh.

plague
04-06-2013, 11:29 PM
i don't tend to throw my arm out like that when playing tbh.

this.
first rule of defending. dont attempt to fly anywhere.

McKay OUT

boz-monaut
04-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Boz and PV4 were like clairvoyants.
Poor buggers.we're just a couple of depressed, negative pessimists

we're bound to be right supporting this lot

hawk
04-06-2013, 11:46 PM
conceding late pens is our main business gutgw

GazFish35
05-06-2013, 12:16 AM
we're just a couple of depressed, negative pessimists

we're bound to be right supporting this lot

Socceroos or jets?

Imyourhero
05-06-2013, 12:35 AM
do we still need to simply just win the next 2 or mathematically can we afford a draw/loss??

militiamon
05-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Bresciano, omg.

I swear he has been outright Australia's most talented player for the last decade. He isn't ridiculously tall, doesn't have a superhuman leap, doesn't run around like a headless chook, he's just good at football. He runs at half the pace he did back in the day but he's still managed to transform himself into possibly an even better player than he was.

BodyNovo
05-06-2013, 06:59 AM
First time I have done this in years but well done to luca$h Neil.

Probably one of the main reasons (other than schwarz outstanding save in the first half) Japan relied on a penalty to score the only goal for them. Besides marshalling himself on the 18 yard box he defended superb and his distribution was slightly better than the long balls I am used to.

Og on the other hand i think is done.

Agree with militia on bresc blokes ability to open the game up is immense and passing game is so simple and smart at the same time.

Next game would have jedinak in for Milligan, both have the same ability in defence but jedinak will be able to offer something going forward as well which I didn't think Milligan did

Simplicity of the Mackay matter;
Don't play players out of position zullo in next game

Imo Japan with out Honda and kagagawa would be shit but I think everyone thinks that.