PDA

View Full Version : The Season that Wasn't OURS (AGAIN)

MFKS
29-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Lets have a little bit of an ongoing season debrief. Could offer some good discussion about our faults/weaknesses and strengths

I know it's hard but name 3 things that were a positive in the season.

Then List everything we ****ed up!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO IF YOU ARE JUST GONNA BLAME GVE ( LIKE MANY WILL ) >>> GO INTO A BIT OF DETAIL AS TO WHY

Grimario
29-03-2013, 09:59 PM
GVE out.

Not once has he shouldered any responsibility for our shit performances, we have barely shown any signs of his oft lauded philosophy and the most threatening we have been is getting second balls off Heskey's head.

In summation, GVE out.

Happy easter, cunce.

stopper2
29-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Umm lets see, 3 positives.....
Signing Birraz
Signing Caravella 2/3 of the way through the season
Ummm a third.....lets see..........
Rubes developing into a leader

The Negatives.......where does one start???

halo se7en
29-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Positives

1. We have some very fine youngsters at the club. Goodwin, Virgili, Brillante, Brown, Chapman, Birraz, Taggart… I rate all of them highly enough that I think with the right guidance, they'll be great players.

2. Heskey's signing did great things for the season - by increasing memberships, shirt sales, general exposure… you can't argue that it didn't have a positive effect on the club in general.

3. The crowd… I'm assuming we averaged over 12k all season - for a team that was constantly serving up shit, I reckon we'd consistently get over 15k if we were a top 3 side and had some momentum.

Negatives

Sorry for the cliche, but it starts with GVE. Lack of responsibility, stubborn tactics, mind-boggling lineups and substitutions, misguided belief that the position of the table isn't actually important. And lets face it, is the a-league really the place you want to be building for the future? **** that, WSW can build a championship winning team in less than a season. Any young player worth his salt will **** off o/s. It's all about getting the right mix here and now - I don't mind the idea of developing a couple of young/fringe players, but every season should be built around at least making the top 4.

And WHAT EXACTLY will GVE do differently next year to propel us up the table, or will we be happy to make 7th and see that as an improvement?

Grimario
29-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Positives...
- Birra showing he can be an excellent HAL (and beyond) keeper. Salvaged us points on his own earlier this season, reckon he is here for one season more tops.
- Rubes. His tirelessness and industriousness in midfield, his leadership and his (mostly) above average performances this season.
- Taggart. Only a handful of games towards the end of the season but definitely showed enough to make me excited for what he can bring us in the future
- Crowds. Probably the Heskey factor but great to see memberships up on last season and average crowds up again (I think).
- Breaking the Nix curse (hurrah)

Jeterpool
29-03-2013, 10:12 PM
I blame GvE because:

They were the players he recruited
They were the tactics he implemented
The substitutions made were his
The reason why Jobe and Griff out of the club was probably him
He said we would make the finals. He didn't deliver.
He destroyed Goodwin
He recruited Brown, Mitchell and Neville.
He took far to long to realise the potential in Taggart
He wasted yet another visa spot on a number 10 we didn't use.

GvE out!

Positives - Birraz, Caravella and Heskey

seldom
29-03-2013, 10:19 PM
pos...biz,caravella,heskey

neg...mid strenghth beer ffs,GVE,deans

westjet
30-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Positives
Birra - will be a massive loss if we dont have him next year, would love to see some quality defending in front of him
Crowd - averaging 12000 with performances like that is a credit to the fans and special mention to the squadron for giving it all again this year, looked and sounded great when fox actually recognised you existed
Heskey and Carra - great signings

Negatives
Players not developing - dont know if it was gary's coaching or the players not listening/respecting him enough to follow his advice but to many of our players went backwards this year in their development
Tactics - one dimensional and poor - only the coach to blame for that one
Kick offs - why did we start by 1 pass back and then hoofing it up for one of the wingers in every game i can remember?
Bernardo not being given a chance
GVE - lack of coaching ability, mystifying selections and substitutions, lack of accountability, blaming players constantly, shit coach

GazFish35
30-03-2013, 09:44 AM
I blame GvE because:

They were the players he recruited
They were the tactics he implemented
The substitutions made were his
The reason why Jobe and Griff out of the club was probably him
He said we would make the finals. He didn't deliver.
He destroyed Goodwin
He recruited Brown, Mitchell and Neville.
He took far to long to realise the potential in Taggart
He wasted yet another visa spot on a number 10 we didn't use.

GvE out!

Positives - Birraz, Caravella and Heskey

Sums up the season perfectly.

hawk
30-03-2013, 11:59 PM
defence was a drag man.

Retro Jet
31-03-2013, 12:57 AM
defence was a drag man.

Yep, it's the little things that add up, eh?
Like being able to defend corners in the dying moments of a game... eg x 2 v Perf
Them - 4 points, us + 2 = us potentially scumbaggin' our way into the semi's, for what it's worth.
Hell, if we finish about Sh!tney then yes, it's worth it!

3 Positives?
Beating Brisbane at home regular season finally (hoodoo broken),
Nix away win (long standing hoodoo broken)
And GvE being schooled by 'a journalist' right from Rnd 1 v Adelaide when he sounded the arrogant pr!ck out
in the presser for us looking unorganised and disjointed. Pretty much summed up the whole season then and there.

leftrightout
31-03-2013, 08:08 AM
It's bad when I think Goodwin is a negative of the season! After the start he had I thought we would have sold him now... What has the coaching staff done to him!

sammydog
31-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Positives

1. Heskey, Birra, Carra. Great signings who stood up all season. We need to hang onto these guys. Actually, I think most of the squad is a positive, we fall over in a few key positions like CB and DM but overall we way underachieved this season with what we have. (Did I just turn the positive into a negative?)

2. To be still getting the crowd we were at the end of the season has to be a positive. Lets see how many resign next season.

3. Hopefully the biggest positive of this season is yet to come......GVE's departure.

Negatives

1. GVE. Saw no evidence of his mythical High Pressing, High Tempo, Hi Passing game. That all seemed to be rhetoric with no substance. If his hand picked players couldn't get his system right by the end of the season, will I blame the manager for that.

2. GVE Playing favourites in the squad and locking players out while others didn't perform and got start after start. I think he is responsible for Browns poor form. From the injury he needed some time in youth, then a few starts of the bench. Being thrown in the deep-end when he wasn't ready, then continually being fed to the wolves has shattered his confidence and turned much of the crowd against a player who should be one of our standouts.

3. Not Making the finals AGAIN. Could deal with not making the finals if I thought there was development occurring. As I see it, many players have regressed since coming here. Its interesting to see a few mediocre players leave the club and shine, while some promising players who appeared to have bucket-loads of talent at other clubs have come here and and gone backwards. I blame management for that.

halo se7en
31-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but GVE's hand-picked & prepared team finished one place worse than last year. There's no excuse for that, especially when we had no major injury/suspension/intl setbacks the entire season.

MFKS
31-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but GVE's hand-picked & prepared team finished one place worse than last year. There's no excuse for that, especially when we had no major injury/suspension/intl setbacks the entire season.

Kanta???

James Brown???

Jobe and Ry Griffo leaving mid season were obviously not planned.

The rescheduled Nix away game hurt us also. No heskey for next 3 games. Caravello missed 2. Galloway 4. Old Man Bridges couldn't back up on weekend.

Also first 5-6 games we were effected by young socceroos for Brillante/Taggz/Chapo and then Taggz was absent for a few for the East Asia Cup

stopper2
31-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Kanta???

James Brown???

The rescheduled Nix away game hurt us also. No heskey for next 3 games. Caravello missed 2. Galloway 4. Old Man Bridges couldn't back up on weekend.

Also first 5-6 games we were effected by young socceroos for Brillante/Taggz/Chapo and then Taggz was absent for a few for the East Asia Cup

No excuses MKFS
Ono missed a few games for WSW as did other key players like Mooy and Beauchamp through injuries during the season, Poppa still managed to bring in players without skipping a heartbeat. GVE has proven that he just isn't cut out to be a coach. Even Branko in his 2 years here seemed to get more out of his players. ....finished 6th and won the first semi one season and came 7th the next year. 7th and now 8th for GVE in 2 years.....just not good enough!

MFKS
31-03-2013, 11:29 AM
No excuses MKFS
Ono missed a few games for WSW as did other key players like Mooy and Beauchamp through injuries during the season, Poppa still managed to bring in players without skipping a heartbeat. GVE has proven that he just isn't cut out to be a coach. Even Branko in his 2 years here seemed to get more out of his players. ....finished 6th and won the first semi one season and came 7th the next year. 7th and now 8th for GVE in 2 years.....just not good enough!

Weren't offfering excuses. That was only meant to be listing a summary or our disruptions through the season for injury/internationals/player departures.

We actually got off pretty light really and it could have been far worse.

Only had a few blokes out for a week here or there injured other than Kanta / Brown and were only hit with about 5 one game suspensions for reds/cuumulative yellows(Wonder how many games Smurfs players missed???)

MFKS
31-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Positives
>> Jobes departure has allowed one massive positive for the club. It has removed the bullshit scenario where the bloke who is the captain isn't necessarily a first choice standout selection. Bwanko needs shooting for giving the gig to this bloke when you could make a case that with Wehrman /Jason Culina /Kanta/ Rubes /Jobe at the club at the time the bloke wasn't even a certainty to make the bench at the time of his appointment. Now we at least have a captain who warrants being picked week in week out

>> Young blokes getting a run/extended run in the team. Hoole Chapo Gallaway Brillante Taggz Oxborrow Birraz Goody Mitchy Cooper will all be better for the experiences this season in the future.

>> Imports we at least made some improvements in this area. Heskey and Ritter have been ok to good signings unlike our large contingent of foreign duds of the past ie Zura Haakansson De Groot Drovandi etc etc. The signing of Ribero shows we still have work to do in this area though to be out of the woods

Negatives

>> The Lack of effort our players make after away games to REALLY acknowledge the effort the traveling support made to support them and the sacrifices people make to travel over Australia to watch them play. The other week over in Adelaide Fulltime occurred and the best this lot could do (Birraz/Goody excluded) was stand about 50 yards from the traveling support turn towards us and clap in our direction. ****ing disgraceful effort. Get over there and give everyone who wants, a handshake/ high five / pose for photos / signs autographs etc you useless ****s.

Fair play to Goody and Birraz who made the effort to do so but they were already ****ed as they had friends/family etc with us they had to come and acknowledge. The rest of them made **** all effort.

Going to 6 away games this season can't say this was a one off either as it happened all the time. To me it says a lot about the lack of bond between fans/club that the players ain't doing it automatically win lose or draw. Rectify this and embrace your supporters you khunts

>> Our Home form wasn't good enough. Initially I wished to make a point here about our goal scoring record at home and done a bit of research to find out how many goals we scored at Stade de Newy. Knowing the answer was low I found it to be only 12 goals. Considering that 3 of them were penalties it has meant the roar of the Jets crowd to celebrate goals at Stade de Newy has been incredibly infrequent

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=aus/nationalleague/detailedstandings.html

Matter of fact of the 13 games at Newy we were kept scoreless on 6 occasions.

Compared to our Gypo rivals who got to celebrate the ball breaching the Shittounge goals on 32 occassions. Maybe an area we need dramatic improvement in

What surprised me is that our record of 5 wins 3 draws 5 losses despite not being obviously great but average at best was actually the WORST in the HAL.
Our away record despite being not great with only 3 wins was good enough to be 5th in the League behind only WSW CCM MV and Adelaide. It was better than Roar Perth Sydney who all finished above us overall

If we were winning a few more home games we would be in the 6 comfortably.

Address our home record and lack of goals at Newy then we will be definitely heading in the right direction next season.

>> Considering our lack of success in front of goal the continuing omission of Kale Bradbery is staggering and a ****ing disgrace. Bloke banged in 20 odd in the NBN last season 16 in the NYL and can't even get a ****ing run. Can't say the coach refuses to pick young players either as an excuse for his emission. GVE's favouritism habits are in clear force with the victimisation of this bloke when the one bloke in our club who scores consistently and regularly can't get a ****ing look in

FaroeMassive
31-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Dear Mr Tinkler, Mr Palmer & Mr Middleby,

Good coaches make a big difference to Football teams.
If it was as simple as buying the best players and telling them what time to turn up then there would be no such thing as a Head Coach.
Look at clubs like Brisbane Roar & Melbourne Victory; pretty similar playing squads to last few years, very different performances and results.

Gary Van Egmond has failed miserably in this last 2 years as our Head Coach. He also failed in his last season before that.
Individual players haven't improved, team performances haven't improved and are as bad as they have ever been and his man management has been as poor as ever. He must go and must go now.

Newcastle deserves better...much better. We have supported the club through thick and thin and have rewarded you with the second largest membership number in the A-League. We deserve someone with some charisma, someone with some character to take responsibility for what they are in charge of, and most importantly someone with a proven pedigree as a Head Coach and a proven record of producing entertaining WINNING Football!

Ante Milicic, Arthur Papas, Paul Okon, Miron Bleiberg and John Kosmina are not the answer. We want something different, something fresh, something that will capture the imaginations of the Players and Fans alike. We want a team we can be proud of and a Head Coach who we can believe in and trust.

Mr Tinkler, Mr Palmer, Mr Middelby; please give us something for our loyal support!!
We deserve it!
GVE OUT!

Porett
31-03-2013, 06:27 PM
+'ve
1- Hesky. Not the player or what he brought but it showed that HSG has not forgotten about us and wants to have a winning jets team.

2- The younger guys. Virgilli and taggert showed some real promise this season, and how long has it been since we have had some good young players at the club.

3- 11K members. That the club was able to muster up more members than the season just gone is a real + for HSG.

-'ve

GVE. On paper he was a good appointment. But the talk has not transitioned onto the field. Our attack is just horrid to watch, stagnate with little to no movement. At the end of the day he promised something, was given ample time and talent to deliver it and has failed to do so.

ForeverRed
31-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I blame Jobe Wheelhouse for being a quitter

seldom
31-03-2013, 08:34 PM
lol people still thinking he quit...roar will love him

Blackmac79
01-04-2013, 06:44 AM
I like being a mid-table nothing side. Hope we never win anything ever again.

joel31
01-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Positive-
Goodwin
Heskey
11,000 members

Negative-
Our defence
GVE's decisions
Failure to retain best players from last season

belchardo
01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
I like being a mid-table nothing side. Hope we never win anything ever again.

mid table? 8th in a 10 team comp isn't mid table.

MFKS
01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
mid table? 8th in a 10 team comp isn't mid table.

Will you settle on its the EXTREME lower end of mid table???:grin:

twenty2one
02-04-2013, 01:26 AM
I always read the forum but very rarely comment, but I would like to put some stats out.

2011/2012 - 7th on 37 points goals for 35 goals against 34
BK came 3rd in the league with 79 saves.

2012/2013 - 8th on 31 points goals for 30 goals against 45
Birras came 7th in the league with 62 saves.

Now I have nothing against Birras, but he is no better than BK and the stats prove it. People will say that the defence was worst this season than last, but doesnt the more saves made mean a worst defence? Thats what the stats say. Birras likes to put on a performance and show and he is a good performer, but when it comes down to it, he is no better than BK.

We need older heads on the field who can direct the defence/midfield. But Gary doesnt want older players cause gee older players speak their mind and will not be Garys puppets. Players have no respect for him as a coach and he has no respect for the players and this does not make for a happy team. And he is going to stuff up some of these younger players futures.

Even when Branko was in charge we made the top 6. So Gary really must go.

Just saying

GazFish35
02-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Interesting stats.
Wouldn't necessarily agree that more saves means a worse defence.... Goals and saves added together might give you a better picture.

113 v 109

Not a big difference.
Goals conceded is though.

Porett
02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Clean sheet records as a %

Mark Birighitti 26%

Ben Kennedy 20%

http://www.aleaguestats.com/ALeagueStats_12KeeperStats.html

pv4
02-04-2013, 10:19 AM
stats aside - this year has been the first since covic was around that i've actually felt comfortable with who we've had between the sticks.

plague
02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Stats stats stats.
So what?
We always win the possession stats yet finished 8th.
Apart from the usual pelicans on here who hate everyone I don't see many on here hating on BK.
But to imply Biraz wasn't anything special this year is in my humble opinion a bit harsh.
Plus we need to talk him up so anyone listening will pay more $$$ when he eventually leaves.

(Actually Middleby will let him walk for free).

Keeper is the least of our problems.

seldom
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Biz has been our best and will be rewarded come awards night :grin:

q-money
02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
bk is a ledge

militiamon
02-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Biz has been our best and will be rewarded come awards night :grin:

....like BK was last season? :gent:

BK = ledge 4sure mate.

Saying that Birighitti wasn't good for us this year is ridiculous though.

MFKS
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I always read the forum but very rarely comment, but I would like to put some stats out.

2011/2012 - 7th on 37 points goals for 35 goals against 34
BK came 3rd in the league with 79 saves.

2012/2013 - 8th on 31 points goals for 30 goals against 45
Birras came 7th in the league with 62 saves.

Now I have nothing against Birras, but he is no better than BK and the stats prove it. People will say that the defence was worst this season than last, but doesnt the more saves made mean a worst defence? Thats what the stats say. Birras likes to put on a performance and show and he is a good performer, but when it comes down to it, he is no better than BK.

We need older heads on the field who can direct the defence/midfield. But Gary doesnt want older players cause gee older players speak their mind and will not be Garys puppets. Players have no respect for him as a coach and he has no respect for the players and this does not make for a happy team. And he is going to stuff up some of these younger players futures.

Even when Branko was in charge we made the top 6. So Gary really must go.

Just saying

Stats can always be twisted however you like. To say Birraz is a worse keeper because of these stats is a farce.

Remember Birraz didn't play:

Fullgame V Adelaide Bk Let in 1 after Birra sent off

V Smurfs BK let in 2 Birra suspended

Fullgame V Wellington Nashy Let in 2 after Birra went off with head injury

V Heart Nashy let in 3 Birra still injured

V Roar Nashy let in 1 Birra still injured

V Gypos Nashy let in 2 Birra still injured

V Perth Nashy let in 3 Birra still injured

So thats 14 goals let in by us when Birra wasn't even playing.

Couple this with the times our defenders left Birra high and dry by coughing up ball in the backline and giving away dumb penalties and not marking up and the bloke has done more than OK

GazFish35
02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Bk and nashy never got sent off.

Good stat that one.
Prove birraz is a dirty player.

Thomas477
02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Bk and nashy never got sent off.

Good stat that one.
Prove birraz is a dirty player.

To be fair though, he stopped the goal going in.

GazFish35
02-04-2013, 05:28 PM
To be fair though, he stopped the goal going in.

But wasn't there to stop the next three while suspended.

Then he showed how soft he is sitting out the rest of the game (and a few weeks) after brockie jumped over him.

Thomas477
02-04-2013, 06:23 PM
But wasn't there to stop the next three while suspended.

Then he showed how soft he is sitting out the rest of the game (and a few weeks) after brockie jumped over him.

That second goal, I'm pretty sure was FFA instructed to be let in. BK f***** up horrendously for that :gent:

As for the Brockie incident, I'm not going to comment. I think he's a dirty **** for doing that to Biraz.

robnuts
04-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Kanta???

James Brown???

So no other team in the top 4 had any key injuries, a rough schedule for a couple of weeks or any Socceroos callups?

FMD, I suppose you could proably blame the weather for that Adelaide game as well, how do we expect players to adapt to that?

Pico
04-04-2013, 05:25 PM
So no other team in the top 4 had any key injuries, a rough schedule for a couple of weeks or any Socceroos callups?

FMD, I suppose you could proably blame the weather for that Adelaide game as well, how do we expect players to adapt to that?

With reasoning like this you might be in line for an assistant's position with GVE's coaching staff.

Jeterpool
04-04-2013, 08:07 PM
We lost too many games and dropped too many in the middle of the season and didn't capitalise on our start

Simples.

We should have had it wrapped up well and truly before the Nix game and Heskey/Caravella missing.

NewcastleForLife
04-04-2013, 08:14 PM
We lost too many games and dropped too many in the middle of the season and didn't capitalise on our start

We actually played like shit for the first few games and got lucky IMO. People shit is too harsh, but we got lucky but didn't realise until half way through the season...

Jeterpool
04-04-2013, 08:20 PM
We actually played like shit for the first few games and got lucky IMO. People shit is too harsh, but we got lucky but didn't realise until half way through the season...

Agree. We got lucky as hell. But even in that case we didn't build on that luck