PDA

View Full Version : Running Thread aka Havent even done a half yet?

Jeterpool
20-04-2013, 02:17 PM
So are there any runners/joggers out there?

I went along and did my first Newy Park Run today, in the rain, with my wife and a few friends.

Enjoyed it - they all do a great job! Will be returning.

boz-monaut
20-04-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm just starting jogging as well - purely as a way to get fit and get some exercise in while I'm away with work

I've got a 5km loop that I do - so far I can do the Cliff Young shuffle for about 2km then have a bit of a walk, another 2km, another walk then sprint up a hill

I need one of these hats, possibly some gum boots

http://media2.apnonline.com.au/img/media/images/2013/04/17/25-294948-115751a_t460.jpg

sammydog
20-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Add me into the "just started running to get fit" bandwagon. I have a 5.7km loop full of hills.

Don't particularly enjoy jogging, but its easy to get 30mins or so in before work so it does the job.

belchardo
21-04-2013, 04:33 PM
ran my first marathon last weekend. was doing well, on pace for 3 hours 45 mins through about 23km then hit the wall majorly. 4 hours 20 minutes for the whole run in the end, but hey, i finished, i didn't die and i then ate copious amounts on horrendously unhealthy food with not an ounce of guilt. :D got way too excited at the start of the event and was running 3 minute 30 second kilometres!

last 15km was just horrible, horrible pain. was saying to myself, "never again". Tuesday of last week i was already thinking "what can i do to improve next time" :)

running the sydney half marathon in a few weeks with a few mates, looking forward to it. aiming for sub 100 minutes. best thus far is 105 minutes.

my tip if you're starting out running for fitness, just enter an event and go for it. 10km is a good distance to start with.

MFKS
21-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Refuse to run.

Very dangerous activity.

Shortness of breath pain discomfort and explosions occur.

**** THAT SHIT

Jeterpool
21-04-2013, 05:29 PM
ran my first marathon last weekend. was doing well, on pace for 3 hours 45 mins through about 23km then hit the wall majorly. 4 hours 20 minutes for the whole run in the end, but hey, i finished, i didn't die and i then ate copious amounts on horrendously unhealthy food with not an ounce of guilt. :D got way too excited at the start of the event and was running 3 minute 30 second kilometres!

last 15km was just horrible, horrible pain. was saying to myself, "never again". Tuesday of last week i was already thinking "what can i do to improve next time" :)

running the sydney half marathon in a few weeks with a few mates, looking forward to it. aiming for sub 100 minutes. best thus far is 105 minutes.

my tip if you're starting out running for fitness, just enter an event and go for it. 10km is a good distance to start with.

Well done!

LINGERA
22-04-2013, 02:22 PM

aaaah, 3.5minute kms wouldnt that put you in the medals for city to surf?

belchardo
22-04-2013, 03:14 PM
it would if i could run that pace for 14km!

that was a peak speed, and only hit for about 100m or so. badly phrased.

hawk
22-04-2013, 07:22 PM
why are we running without a purpose? get a ball in front of ya.

q-money
23-04-2013, 08:02 AM
belch you crazy bastard

pv4
24-04-2013, 11:17 AM
don't mind the odd keeping-fit run around. last year some time the mrs signed us up for the maitland river run with her work - don't really see the appeal in competitive running tbh. in saying that, she's also signed us up for the colour run next month at hamilton. from what i'm led to believe, it's just a run but people at random points of the race throw paint at you.

Jeterpool
24-04-2013, 11:29 AM
don't mind the odd keeping-fit run around. last year some time the mrs signed us up for the maitland river run with her work - don't really see the appeal in competitive running tbh. in saying that, she's also signed us up for the colour run next month at hamilton. from what i'm led to believe, it's just a run but people at random points of the race throw paint at you.

I think its coloured flour. My wife and I were considering this run but decided why pay someone to throw shit at you?? It's a gimmick in my opinion.

We are doing Parkrun instead because it's free and professionally run for a volunteer group.

pv4
24-04-2013, 11:42 AM
I think its coloured flour. My wife and I were considering this run but decided why pay someone to throw shit at you?? It's a gimmick in my opinion.

We are doing Parkrun instead because it's free and professionally run for a volunteer group.

yeah tbh it's been pretty off my radar, she's sorted it all. didn't even bother to find out if it cost money or not tbh.

a few of my friends do the lake mac parkrun each sat morning, they love it. i can't run the same track all the time - not enough variety. each time i run around home & stuff i change my track, do a fair bit of running in the bush & try and find paths/roads i haven't checked out before.

Bon
24-04-2013, 04:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKrg_ei96xk

I don't know if this dude really does run like this, or if its just a massive piss-take.. Then again, he may have some form of tourettes or crazysnake tick going on..
Awesome music though.. :yay:

skippy
24-04-2013, 05:25 PM
yeah tbh it's been pretty off my radar, she's sorted it all. didn't even bother to find out if it cost money or not tbh.

a few of my friends do the lake mac parkrun each sat morning, they love it. i can't run the same track all the time - not enough variety. each time i run around home & stuff i change my track, do a fair bit of running in the bush & try and find paths/roads i haven't checked out before.

Yeah its like $50 for the colour run. On the upside lots of gash in gym pants and looks like a bit of fun band and stuff at the end.

pv4
26-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Yeah its like $50 for the colour run. On the upside lots of gash in gym pants and looks like a bit of fun band and stuff at the end.

jeez. hopefully some/all of that goes to charity or something!

should be a bit different and a bit of fun anyway.

Jeterpool
26-04-2013, 08:54 AM

Good luck and enjoy it!

I'm joinging into a 60km charity run starting at Planet Fitness on Sunday. I'm not doing the 60km but will be doing a distance. It's from the gym, to the 14km mark of the Fernleigh track, back to the Adamstown end, back to the 14km marker and back to the gym.

It's called "A Run With a Storey" and is organised to support Matt Storey who has Hodgkins Lymphoma.

Good luck Pete and Cory and all the other participants! If you're free and want to join in, go to the Matthew Storey Foundation website.

q-money
26-04-2013, 09:19 AM
ah I saw those guys training on the fern a couple of weeks ago, good luck to them

Jeterpool
26-04-2013, 09:29 AM
ah I saw those guys training on the fern a couple of weeks ago, good luck to them

Yeah they did 50 odd-km the other weekend.

They're going to do it - i've got no doubt about it.

Pete has done so well to have trained to run 60km in 3 months. Cory has done an amazing job with him.

q-money
26-04-2013, 10:10 AM
yeah all power to him, i struggle on a 5k, much prefer the bike as i am in control of my own suffering

selassie
26-04-2013, 01:42 PM

for profit company. only 5km. easily 75% chicks. so it's more about people feeling good about themselves since they are exercising (reward themselves later) and having fun (not losing).

"brands don't sell products, they sell actualisations of their brand identity" - naomi klein

pistolpete
26-04-2013, 04:26 PM
I am not a runner, firstly because I have annihilated my hips knees and ankles with years of basketball and martial arts and the doctors have told me not to. This is awesome as I think it is so boring and only just shades swimming for the most mind numbing form of exercise. Gotta be running kicking or bouncing a ball to make it interesting for me. In saying that I am taking my kids to the colour run as they will love it and I can walk as fast as they can run at this age. Didn't look into it I guess but I was pretty sure the money (ir at least part if it) went to charity

belchardo
26-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Do you donate to a charity or cause?

YES, we do. One of our greatest visions for The Color Run™ is bringing fun, memories, and fundraising to local communities. We select a different organisation for each city. To see the specific charity we use for each city, check out the location’s race page.

doesn't say how much though.

The Swisse Color Run is proud to partner with the Celebrate Life Foundation and Make-A-Wish® Australia as our joint major charity partner in Newcastle.
The newly established Celebrate Life Foundation, founded by Swisse, raises funds for integrative medicine research and health promotion, with 100% of proceeds donated to the chosen charities and integrative medicine research institutions.

In Newcastle we will also support Make-A-Wish in their mission to make wishes come true for children with life-threatening medical conditions. In New South Wales, there are currently 95 wishes waiting.

looks like they learned a thing or two from lance in the "how to make a income source look like a charity" side of things.

but seriously, i guess put aside the dodgy marketing and enjoy the event and a day out with the kids.

militiamon
26-04-2013, 10:06 PM
I am not a runner, firstly because I have annihilated my hips knees and ankles with years of basketball and martial arts and the doctors have told me not to. This is awesome as I think it is so boring and only just shades swimming for the most mind numbing form of exercise. Gotta be running kicking or bouncing a ball to make it interesting for me. In saying that I am taking my kids to the colour run as they will love it and I can walk as fast as they can run at this age. Didn't look into it I guess but I was pretty sure the money (ir at least part if it) went to charity

Agreed. All power to the people who get enjoyment out of it though.

q-money
27-04-2013, 08:45 AM
swisse (n)

Jeterpool
29-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Yeah they did 50 odd-km the other weekend.

They're going to do it - i've got no doubt about it.

Pete has done so well to have trained to run 60km in 3 months. Cory has done an amazing job with him.

Excellent effort by everyone involved yesterday. The hot weather took it's toll on Pete who cramped up at Redhead on the way back for the final time. He still completed 52km which is a great achievement.

Cory and Beth (and Jess too?) made the whole 60km trek which was a credit to them - sorry if I missed anyone!

belchardo
29-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Excellent effort by everyone involved yesterday. The hot weather took it's toll on Pete who cramped up at Redhead on the way back for the final time. He still completed 52km which is a great achievement.

Cory and Beth (and Jess too?) made the whole 60km trek which was a credit to them - sorry if I missed anyone!

nice. i realise it probably wasn't timed, but how long did it take them?

makes my 17km run seem paltry. :)

Jeterpool
29-04-2013, 11:17 AM
nice. i realise it probably wasn't timed, but how long did it take them?

makes my 17km run seem paltry. :)

It was roughly timed. They took off from Planet Fitness at 6:00am. All runners, no matter how far they ran, met out the front of the stadium. We ran in at about 12:00, so 6 hours.

Cory does runs in Africa that are 90km long but to maintain a pace of 6 minute kms over a 6 hour period is a fantastic effort. She's super fit!

I have a new appreciation for the distances and 17 is still a long way! A friend and I did 21km so credit to you. We both agreed we wouldn't have got that distance if we didn't do it together - much easier running with someone else.

skippy
29-04-2013, 02:30 PM
It was roughly timed. They took off from Planet Fitness at 6:00am. All runners, no matter how far they ran, met out the front of the stadium. We ran in at about 12:00, so 6 hours.

Cory does runs in Africa that are 90km long but to maintain a pace of 6 minute kms over a 6 hour period is a fantastic effort. She's super fit!

I have a new appreciation for the distances and 17 is still a long way! A friend and I did 21km so credit to you. We both agreed we wouldn't have got that distance if we didn't do it together - much easier running with someone else.

Did tough mudder the other week, 20kms cross country run with obstacles and shit involved man that was a tough day

boz-monaut
12-05-2013, 07:34 PM
they've made a telemovie miniseries thing about my running hero, Cliff Young

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/04/airdate-cliffy-paper-giants-magazine-wars-the-time-of-our-lives.html

starts on the ABC in a fortnight

belchardo
22-06-2013, 10:22 AM
ran the Canberra Park Run this morning. 5km. it was good fun.

http://www.parkrun.com.au/

they have one in Newcastle, recommend it if you don't know about it. best thing is it's free and on every week!

http://www.parkrun.com.au/newy/

Jeterpool
22-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Newy Parkrun is good fun. Its getting very crowded now. I believe they have one at Lake Mac and Maitland too??

turbo
28-08-2013, 05:42 AM
So are there any runners/joggers out there?

I went along and did my first Newy Park Run today, in the rain, with my wife and a few friends.

Enjoyed it - they all do a great job! Will be returning.

Yeah man!

I do 10k at least a couple of times a week. Normally around 42 minutes, pb is 39 which i know isn't blistering but i'm happy enough with the results i'm seeing in general fitness and wellbeing. Or at least i was, i broke my 5th metatarsal in june and i'm only just walking again. Arse.

belchardo
28-08-2013, 08:25 AM
sub 40 minute 10km is pretty quick in my book.

ran the lake mac half marathon last weekend in 1:47. 10 minutes slower than my previous best, but i was carrying a cold. second worst i've felt on a run in my life, behind the last 15km of the marathon. aiming for 95 minutes at the next half marathon (maybe the one on the central coast in late November), with a view to breaking 90 minutes next year.

Jeterpool
28-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah man!

I do 10k at least a couple of times a week. Normally around 42 minutes, pb is 39 which i know isn't blistering but i'm happy enough with the results i'm seeing in general fitness and wellbeing. Or at least i was, i broke my 5th metatarsal in june and i'm only just walking again. Arse.

That's flying mate!! I think anyway. Good luck on your recovery!

sub 40 minute 10km is pretty quick in my book.

ran the lake mac half marathon last weekend in 1:47. 10 minutes slower than my previous best, but i was carrying a cold. second worst i've felt on a run in my life, behind the last 15km of the marathon. aiming for 95 minutes at the next half marathon (maybe the one on the central coast in late November), with a view to breaking 90 minutes next year.

Good job. Well done.

Once football is over I'll be back into it again doing Parkrun on a weekly basis and training for a run April next year. I'm looking forward to it. Have a mate I run with and trying to get Mrs Jeterpool into it as well. She managed to train for a 5km run and did it under 30 minutes which was agreat achievement for her and smashed her goal.

turbo
28-08-2013, 11:37 AM
That's flying mate!! I think anyway. Good luck on your recovery!

Cheers dude, on both. I use a garmin 305 for timing and if anyone's just getting into running i strongly recommend something similar because you can download your runs onto a computer and analyse them. Down side is every time it ticks past 27 minutes i think that's when that bloody mo farah would be finishing.

Now then, there's a half marathon in newcastle uk called the great north run which i've wanted to do for a few years, but try as i might whenever i go beyond about 12k to 13k i just, well fail. :wacko: This has been going on about 3 years, 10k time has dropped but stamina has plataeued. :dry:

Jeterpool
28-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Cheers dude, on both. I use a garmin 305 for timing and if anyone's just getting into running i strongly recommend something similar because you can download your runs onto a computer and analyse them. Down side is every time it ticks past 27 minutes i think that's when that bloody mo farah would be finishing.

Now then, there's a half marathon in newcastle uk called the great north run which i've wanted to do for a few years, but try as i might whenever i go beyond about 12k to 13k i just, well fail. :wacko: This has been going on about 3 years, 10k time has dropped but stamina has plataeued. :dry:

Interesting what happens when you reach the 12km mark. Perhaps if there is a personal trainer on the forum they could suggest something?

I'm aiming for 30km next year. I managed 23km this year but had a do 1km efforts after about the 13km mark. To be fair to myself I played a game of football the day before and was sporting a swollen ankle and sore hammy.

Aiming for between 3hrs - 3.5 hrs finish time.

I'm using my phone to track the run and a Suunto M5 for hear rate.

When will the next Great North Run be? Good luck when you get back into training.

turbo
28-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Funnily enough i was talking to a bloke at work a few months back, who runs half and full marathons, and he's 56 (the bastard :lol: ) and he's convinced my issues are mental. Says there no way a bloke who can do the first 10k in 40 minutes should hit a wall at 13k and be basically run / walk / running shortly after. The plan for this summer was to spend some time training with him. But that went south. :lol:

Next GNR is mid sept so registration is well past, but if i can get running again soon there's heaps of time to prepare for next year.

Sounds from your plans and aims you have the bug too. I'd have been amazed ten years ago if someone told me i'd spend my time running through the countryside.

belchardo
28-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Funnily enough i was talking to a bloke at work a few months back, who runs half and full marathons, and he's 56 (the bastard :lol: ) and he's convinced my issues are mental. Says there no way a bloke who can do the first 10k in 40 minutes should hit a wall at 13k and be basically run / walk / running shortly after. The plan for this summer was to spend some time training with him. But that went south. :lol:

Next GNR is mid sept so registration is well past, but if i can get running again soon there's heaps of time to prepare for next year.

Sounds from your plans and aims you have the bug too. I'd have been amazed ten years ago if someone told me i'd spend my time running through the countryside.

I'd agree with this bloke. Back the pace off a little and you should be able to cruise to a pretty quick half marathon time. The training program I'm using to go sub 90 minutes has about 42 minutes as a guide for the 10km distance.

turbo
30-08-2013, 04:46 AM
I'd agree with this bloke. Back the pace off a little and you should be able to cruise to a pretty quick half marathon time. The training program I'm using to go sub 90 minutes has about 42 minutes as a guide for the 10km distance.

That's the plan, i can only walk a few hundred yards at a time at the minute cause of the foot but i'm hoping to get the green light for running in the next few weeks.

I don't suppose it's an issue this time of year, but through summer do you have to plan your runs due to temperature? It's permanently chilly and damp here which for me is ideal, i'd love to see how i got on during a hot and humid NSW january. :lol:

Jeterpool
30-08-2013, 09:38 AM
That's the plan, i can only walk a few hundred yards at a time at the minute cause of the foot but i'm hoping to get the green light for running in the next few weeks.

I don't suppose it's an issue this time of year, but through summer do you have to plan your runs due to temperature? It's permanently chilly and damp here which for me is ideal, i'd love to see how i got on during a hot and humid NSW january. :lol:

I generally plan mine ofr the arvo or the early morning. Middle of the day would be ridiculous.

Now until about October I reckon would be ideal fro running. As well as getting into it from about March onwards

belchardo
30-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Try to get my long runs done in summer by about 9am. Which means getting up at about 5:30am on a sunday when training for a marathon.

That said, it's not so bad in canberra as there isn't much humidity. Winter not so much fun though.

baldrick
31-08-2013, 07:50 AM
I don't know if it counts as "running", I've been training my arse off for the past few months, getting ready to walk The Overland Track in Tasmania later this year.

About 8km each day, with 14-15km walks most weekends (both days) all while carrying a backpack with 10-15kgs in it.

And I use the Strava iphone app to keep track of it. Works a treat (and its free)

belchardo
31-08-2013, 12:50 PM
21:54 at parkrun this morning. Happy with it as I felt like crap. And it was 25 seconds faster than my previous best.

Jeterpool
31-08-2013, 03:23 PM
21:54 at parkrun this morning. Happy with it as I felt like crap. And it was 25 seconds faster than my previous best.

Well done!!! Great time!

Jeterpool
31-08-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't know if it counts as "running", I've been training my arse off for the past few months, getting ready to walk The Overland Track in Tasmania later this year.

About 8km each day, with 14-15km walks most weekends (both days) all while carrying a backpack with 10-15kgs in it.

And I use the Strava iphone app to keep track of it. Works a treat (and its free)

Good luck mate!

Jeterpool
11-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Ran a PB 5km time on the weekend. 23:59. Very happy

q-money
12-09-2013, 11:33 AM

strava is awesome, one of the great apps

check out this dudes profile :wut:

http://www.strava.com/activities/64279296

baldrick
12-09-2013, 12:50 PM
check out this dudes profile :wut:

http://www.strava.com/activities/64279296

Holy

Crap.

smoo
13-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Anyone do the Fernleigh 15 last year and got any tips for pacing it?

Jeterpool
14-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Anyone do the Fernleigh 15 last year and got any tips for pacing it?

I didn't do that run as such but have run it. Going from redhead to Dudley is tough. It's a constant uphill gradient

Jeterpool
14-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Ran a PB 5km time on the weekend. 23:59. Very happy

Beat that time on the same course. Lake mac park run.

23:23 this weekend :)

smoo
15-09-2013, 05:41 AM
I didn't do that run as such but have run it. Going from redhead to Dudley is tough. It's a constant uphill gradient

Thanks for that. The website for the event has a graph showing elevation along the course. Looks tough. First 6 Kay's pretty much all uphill and a climb of about 70+ m. From then on downhill and flat/slight uphill gradients.

Jeterpool
07-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Beat that time on the same course. Lake mac park run.

23:23 this weekend :)

Beat my PB again on the weekend. 22:58. It was a real struggle though but I'm very happy with the time

Jeterpool
07-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks for that. The website for the event has a graph showing elevation along the course. Looks tough. First 6 Kay's pretty much all uphill and a climb of about 70+ m. From then on downhill and flat/slight uphill gradients.

Has this run happened yet? How did you go?

baldrick
13-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Anyone else doing the strava 100km Prove it challenge ?

http://www.strava.com/challenges/prove-it-run

Though technically, I'm hiking with a backpack (yes again)

Jeterpool
13-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Anyone else doing the strava 100km Prove it challenge ?

http://www.strava.com/challenges/prove-it-run

Though technically, I'm hiking with a backpack (yes again)

Good luck!

belchardo
13-01-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm not doing it, but i'm already up to 105km since 1/1/14.

marathon training. have now reached the 'oh god why am i doing this????" distance. seems to happen between 25 and 29km on the long runs.

baldrick
14-01-2014, 07:39 AM

marathon training. have now reached the 'oh god why am i doing this????" distance. seems to happen between 25 and 29km on the long runs.

Great work, which marathon are you training for ?

Longest distance I've done is about 20km. But walking it probably takes twice as long...

I'm up to 120km this year so far :)

belchardo
14-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Canberra marathon in April.

just under 3 months to go now.

piked on my 18km run this morning as I wasn't feeling great, will consider going this afternoon (although it is going to be 37 down here today)

Jeterpool
14-01-2014, 08:17 AM

Great effort! Kepp going. That will be a great achievement.

My mate and I have been roped into doing 35km for the Run With A Storey in Newcastle later this year. Sounds stupid, but we might get to the 35km mark and go "Why not run and extra 7km and do a marathon".

Keep us posted how you go

Jeterpool
16-01-2014, 10:56 AM
What running app are you guys using?

I've tried a few but I'm yet to find one I really like.

Jeterpool
16-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Great effort! Kepp going. That will be a great achievement.

My mate and I have been roped into doing 35km for the Run With A Storey in Newcastle later this year. Sounds stupid, but we might get to the 35km mark and go "Why not run and extra 7km and do a marathon".

Keep us posted how you go

We did our first real training session yesterday - a 15km run. Felt good for the most of it but I'm pretty sore today. I applied the "hair of the dog" theory and went to the gym this morning too. Foam rollers are awesome.

Up it ti about 18-20km next run and we'll go in the morning when it's cooler and we're fresher.

belchardo
16-01-2014, 11:25 AM
I use polar personal trainer to track my exercise (as I have a polar watch/gps/heartrate monitor). the idea of carrying a phone around when I'm running doesn't appeal to me.

on your distances, I recommend you only increase by 10% each individual run (i.e. if you do a long run of 15km, do 16.5km for your long run the next week) and for the cumulative kilometres each week. you'll feel better later on when the kilometres are really ramping up because you'll have given yourself time to build some muscle. I jumped up in distances too quickly at one point and gave myself problems with my knees. basically the quads/hammies weren't strong enough and the knee joint was trying to do all the work. better to be a little short on km trained but injury free in my opinion. adrenalin/stubborn-ness will get you across the line on the day of the event, even if you're crawling.

definitely run in the cool. :)

I've had a lazy week (i.e. not run at all), so this Saturday I'm going to aim for a 20 minute park run. I've run sub 21 minutes in Edinburgh, but the fastest I've run at my "home" parkrun is 21:54. i'll be happy just to lower my PB really.

belchardo
16-01-2014, 11:57 AM
on your distances...

unless of course last week was a really light week for you and the previous weeks you've been hitting 18-20km regularly.

Jeterpool
16-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I use polar personal trainer to track my exercise (as I have a polar watch/gps/heartrate monitor). the idea of carrying a phone around when I'm running doesn't appeal to me.

on your distances, I recommend you only increase by 10% each individual run (i.e. if you do a long run of 15km, do 16.5km for your long run the next week) and for the cumulative kilometres each week. you'll feel better later on when the kilometres are really ramping up because you'll have given yourself time to build some muscle. I jumped up in distances too quickly at one point and gave myself problems with my knees. basically the quads/hammies weren't strong enough and the knee joint was trying to do all the work. better to be a little short on km trained but injury free in my opinion. adrenalin/stubborn-ness will get you across the line on the day of the event, even if you're crawling.

definitely run in the cool. :)

I've had a lazy week (i.e. not run at all), so this Saturday I'm going to aim for a 20 minute park run. I've run sub 21 minutes in Edinburgh, but the fastest I've run at my "home" parkrun is 21:54. i'll be happy just to lower my PB really.

What Parkrun do you do? I was doing Lake Mac but I've changed to Blackbutt because it's closer to home. A jog down there could be my warm up.

Jeterpool
16-01-2014, 12:11 PM
unless of course last week was a really light week for you and the previous weeks you've been hitting 18-20km regularly.

And no, 15km is my limit at the moment.

I appreciate the tip based on your experience. I was certainly struggling at about 14km - psychological I reckon because I knew I was near the end. My knee was starting to hurt at about 12km. What you say makes sense. My mate who is a personal trainer suggested we do the 2-5km ups. She does 90km runs though...

The run is May 4th so we have time.

Plus my training buddy and I aren't against stopping and having a walk for a minute and then keeping on going, plus we stop and have a drink when we can.

On a side note - the fernleigh track needs more water bubblers. Maybe that needs to go into WGMG thread.

belchardo
16-01-2014, 12:30 PM
I run Ginninderra down in Canberra, but I have also run Maitland

in-laws live in Kotara, and we've been planning to do the Belmont or newy runs. blackbutt (which is the closest obviously) seems like a tough course. It would certainly be the toughest I have ever run. is it as hilly as I think it is?

if I run blackbutt next time I'm up i'll give you a shout before.

Jeterpool
16-01-2014, 12:43 PM
I run Ginninderra down in Canberra, but I have also run Maitland

in-laws live in Kotara, and we've been planning to do the Belmont or newy runs. blackbutt (which is the closest obviously) seems like a tough course. It would certainly be the toughest I have ever run. is it as hilly as I think it is?

if I run blackbutt next time I'm up i'll give you a shout before.

Sounds good! Look forward to it.

Yeah it is hilly. There's one within the first KM. You start near the duck pond on the lambton side, run back towards the main road and go up, over and down to the kangaroo and emu pens. Then you run back into the park and up three little rises before one steep rise. That's 2km. After that you run down a 750m stretch turn around and run back up it. That's the killer (i reckon). After that it's all down hill pretty much. You need to run it twice - once to get to know the course so you know where to make efforts and the second to actually do it properly.

It's tough however I found going back to the flat ones I found it a bit boring...but my time was quicker and I felt much stronger.

baldrick
16-01-2014, 05:26 PM
What running app are you guys using?

I've tried a few but I'm yet to find one I really like.

I use strava

Jeterpool
16-01-2014, 09:45 PM
I use strava

How do you find it? I use runkeeper and I find it alright. I dislike all the "purchase this, purchase that". But that's every app these days

belchardo
17-01-2014, 08:38 PM
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Sums up pretty well why i run. But i wasn't a fat kid, nor do i like nutella.

Jeterpool
24-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Knocked 67 seconds off my Blackbutt parkrun time last week. Got under my goal of 25 minute with a 24:40. No idea how I did it but I was stuffed! Stoked!

Aiming for 18km run this weekend. Weather should be good for it.

belchardo
24-01-2014, 02:51 PM
nice work. took about 40 seconds off my fastest at Ginninderra last week.

going to do the Fernleigh track (both directions) tomorrow, 32km all up by the time I get back to the in-laws. should be fun!

Jeterpool
24-01-2014, 03:03 PM
nice work. took about 40 seconds off my fastest at Ginninderra last week.

going to do the Fernleigh track (both directions) tomorrow, 32km all up by the time I get back to the in-laws. should be fun!

Bugger! I'm doing Fernleigh early Sunday morning! Could have said g'day. I'm doing what you said and stepping up to 18km.

No intention of doing Blackbutt Parkrun tomorrow or are you travelling?

belchardo
24-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Bugger! I'm doing Fernleigh early Sunday morning! Could have said g'day. I'm doing what you said and stepping up to 18km.

No intention of doing Blackbutt Parkrun tomorrow or are you travelling?

coming up tonight. going to the game tomorrow night, so will not be in any shape to run on Sunday morning. will hit the Fernleigh track sometime before 7am tomorrow morning, so no parkrun.

sanchez
25-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Whenever I see this thread I think;

http://www.centives.net/S/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/051412_0230_ForrestGump1.png

Jeterpool
25-01-2014, 06:39 AM

http://www.centives.net/S/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/051412_0230_ForrestGump1.png

I didn't see you last weekend...?

That's how the fernleigh track feels anyway

baldrick
25-01-2014, 09:04 AM

I've got one of those caps..

Jeterpool
27-01-2014, 06:49 AM
So I did the Fernleigh with a group of 4 others yesterday morning. They were doing up to 30km and encouraged me to go to 20km.
I made the 20 is 1hr 57. My longest run and non-stop (except for drink breaks). Really happy with how it went. I'm just glad I didn't stitch up again at 13km but I did get a few niggles. Do you guys find you just go numb and it's actually harder to stop than it is to keep going?

Anyway, 22km next time. Getting closer to Jewells all the time.

belchardo
27-01-2014, 09:03 PM
the complete zone out is my favourite part of the run. will quite often run for a while, look at my watch and think "where did the period between 60 minutes and 120 minutes go?" and then the pain arrives. :)

nothing better than getting all the way from canberra to newcastle and then realising you forgot your f'ing runners!

did a 6km run along redhead instead.

Jeterpool
28-01-2014, 08:08 AM
nothing better than getting all the way from canberra to newcastle and then realising you forgot your f'ing runners!

did a 6km run along redhead instead.

Nice one! Ha ha ha! Are you sure there wasn't any level of subconscious behaviour in forgetting them?

Ah well, you had a weekend off.

belchardo
01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
32km, 2:48:46. happy with that. gives me an hour to finish the last 10km in the marathon! :)

Bremsstrahlung
01-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Good effort! How long did it take you to work up to this?

Jeterpool
01-02-2014, 05:04 PM
32km, 2:48:46. happy with that. gives me an hour to finish the last 10km in the marathon! :)

Well done!

belchardo
02-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Good effort! How long did it take you to work up to this?

couple of months this time around from a base of around 10-15km regular runs.

Jeterpool
17-02-2014, 09:05 AM
How is the trianing going Belchardo?

I've had a bit of a set back and am still at the 15km mark. I didn't strech well after the 20km and caused some adductor and knee injuries. In hindsight it was poor form by me.

Going on another 20km run Saturday. Training with my normal running buddy and she makes sure we stretch and walk a last 1km as a cool down. We've had a running plan worked out for us too which should help.

belchardo
01-03-2014, 04:32 PM
training going ok.

33.5km today in 3:02. have decided to ease off a bit on the long runs and aim for 5:30mins/km. will bring me in just over 3:50 for the marathon, which is half an hour faster than last years effort.

ran the orange half marathon last weekend, 1:37:09. had a couple of minutes quicker in my legs but was guiding a partially blind runner who had nothing left to give. still about a minute faster than my previous best, so was happy with that.

6 weeks to the marathon now. just got to keep training.

we're off to albury next weekend, and coincidentally that is the same weekend as the first albury parkrun, so we're going to go in that. might see if i can win it. :D

how's your training going jeterpool?

Jeterpool
02-03-2014, 03:33 PM
training going ok.

33.5km today in 3:02. have decided to ease off a bit on the long runs and aim for 5:30mins/km. will bring me in just over 3:50 for the marathon, which is half an hour faster than last years effort.

ran the orange half marathon last weekend, 1:37:09. had a couple of minutes quicker in my legs but was guiding a partially blind runner who had nothing left to give. still about a minute faster than my previous best, so was happy with that.

6 weeks to the marathon now. just got to keep training.

we're off to albury next weekend, and coincidentally that is the same weekend as the first albury parkrun, so we're going to go in that. might see if i can win it. :D

how's your training going jeterpool?

I actually just got back from a run. We did 24 km after 20 last week. I've got hip problems that are showing up about the 15km mark and it's tough to keep going. I'm not enjoying it. We had to stop because my running buddy was stitching up because she needed to eat and my hip went and we had to walk the last 2.5km.

We have the week off next week before stepping it to 27km. The first 14 km today (we turned at Jewells) felt really good however.

Ever since that adductor issue things have just gone to shit. I will be glad when it's over.

Your training sounds like it's going well. Such a nice thing to do by guiding the runner along despite your time. Sometimes its not about the time in the end - the distance is our goal ahead of the time.

Wish you an injury free 6 weeks! Keep going!

belchardo
11-04-2014, 02:37 PM
marathon this sunday.

4 hours of pain, followed by the most glorious water/shower/steak/beer you can ever have. the water could taste funny, the shower could be cold, the steak could be like old leather and the beer flat, but they'll still be awesome :grin:

when is your event jeterpool?

Jeterpool
16-04-2014, 12:32 PM
How did you go Belchardo?

My event is on May 4th but my training has hit a snag. I did 28km on the weekend, 23 straight before I hit the wall and my knees went on me. They really really hurt. I did do a half marathon in 1:56:42 which I was really happy with.

I don't have the motivation anymore. I'm over the pain and find myself wanting to work on the house instead of spending 3 hours+ running for the sake of it.

I'll do it, but after that, I'm done with long distance. Just stick to my park runs.

belchardo
16-04-2014, 01:30 PM
4:07. bit disappointed as I was hoping for under 4 hours, but fell apart at 30km. but I finished, so I'm happy with that.

I said to myself on the run "never again" but I'm sure I'll do it one day again.

will be sticking to half marathons for a while though.

Jeterpool
16-04-2014, 02:27 PM
4:07. bit disappointed as I was hoping for under 4 hours, but fell apart at 30km. but I finished, so I'm happy with that.

I said to myself on the run "never again" but I'm sure I'll do it one day again.

will be sticking to half marathons for a while though.

Great effort mate. Well done at achieving that distance. Not many people can. :)

The Dunster
16-04-2014, 02:48 PM
To finish a marathon is a massive achievement. 4'07" is impressive you should not be disappointed at all.

hawk
24-04-2014, 08:49 AM
To finish a marathon is a massive achievement. 4'07" is impressive you should not be disappointed at all.

really? setting up 40,000 dominos and getting them to topple over is a greater achievment.

Jeterpool
03-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Run tomorrow. Suffered an ankle injury over the last two weeks. Dropped back to 25km. Do-able for me.

Jeterpool
04-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Finished in 2.5hrs. Struggled heading back up from redhead but found a second wind about 5km out and finished strong. Happy with it.

Cutting distance back and sticking to 7km runs. And going to start riding my bike!

pessimist
15-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Running is too hard, bikes are better choice.

Jeterpool
16-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Running is too hard, bikes are better choice.

True, but I get more time to take in the scenery.

belchardo
29-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Sounds good! Look forward to it.

Yeah it is hilly. There's one within the first KM. You start near the duck pond on the lambton side, run back towards the main road and go up, over and down to the kangaroo and emu pens. Then you run back into the park and up three little rises before one steep rise. That's 2km. After that you run down a 750m stretch turn around and run back up it. That's the killer (i reckon). After that it's all down hill pretty much. You need to run it twice - once to get to know the course so you know where to make efforts and the second to actually do it properly.

It's tough however I found going back to the flat ones I found it a bit boring...but my time was quicker and I felt much stronger.

making my blackbutt debut this weekend!

Jeterpool
29-05-2014, 01:17 PM
making my blackbutt debut this weekend!

Look for the 750 burn. The long up hill bit after the turn around

belchardo
10-08-2014, 06:15 PM
60:37 in the city to surf today.

Anybody else do it?

Jeterpool
10-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Anybody else do it?

Good job! Did you get held up at the start?

belchardo
10-08-2014, 08:28 PM
not really, was in the red group, so only behind the elites, still crapload of people to get round though.

lost time when i slowed up for my mates to tell them that i was pushing on (after i'd accidentally put 20m on them when dodging around people), then lost a bit of time making sure i high-5'd a few groups of kids. lost at least 10 seconds waiting for one of them to turn around for the high-5.

really enjoyed the run. was actually going for under 65, so can't really complain.

Jeterpool
11-09-2015, 08:07 AM
If people are looking to map runs, or even rides, prior to heading out, I found a really handy app during the week.

FOOTPATH uses google maps and you can draw on the screen where you want to go. It then locks the course to the bike path/road/dirt track and measures the distance. It also measure elevation for hill climbs.

Very simple and free.

belchardo
11-09-2015, 08:20 AM
you doing run Newcastle Jeterpool?

Jeterpool
11-09-2015, 08:21 AM
you doing run Newcastle Jeterpool?

No mate. I'm doing the Fernleigh 15 however. I've really stopped running since little JP came along last year and we've been renovating. Only now am I starting to get back into it.

I assume you are coming up?

belchardo
14-09-2015, 08:26 AM
yeah, we came up. I did the 12km in around 55 minutes, wife did the 6km.

Did Stockton parkrun on the Saturday. it's a nice course, very friendly too.

Jeterpool
18-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Great time on the Fernleigh 15 today belchardo. Well done.

It was a great day for running. The overcast, cooler conditions made it really pleasant.

I managed the 15km in 1:19:09 which I am really happy with. I wanted to do under 1:30:00 and at a stretch 1:20:00, so yeah!

WolfMan
18-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Impressive J-pool. I'd be lucky to break 90 mins I reckon

Jeterpool
19-10-2015, 05:37 AM
Impressive J-pool. I'd be lucky to break 90 mins I reckon

Thanks mate.

belchardo
19-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Great time on the Fernleigh 15 today belchardo. Well done.

It was a great day for running. The overcast, cooler conditions made it really pleasant.

I managed the 15km in 1:19:09 which I am really happy with. I wanted to do under 1:30:00 and at a stretch 1:20:00, so yeah!

thanks, you too.

I have a different opinion of the weather. I was dying from the humidity, and I've only stopped sweating just now! :lol:

Couscous
03-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Anyone doing TNF, 50 or 100, in May? I'm signed up for the 50 but haven't ever done more than a 28km trail run (hate road running).

Keen to know what distances others are reaching in their training at this stage. I'm barely cracking 20 but there're 4½ months to go.

belchardo
03-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Nah, too far for me. Will stick to marathons.

Couscous
03-01-2016, 08:33 PM
I think a marathon would be tougher mentally (seriously).

belchardo
10-04-2016, 03:36 PM
I know you're all dying to know how I went, so here it is - 4:05:15. Think I'm done with the canberra marathon, it's too bloody hilly. Basically climb for 2km at 30km in, then rolling hills from there to the finish. Will find a flatter course and see if I can break 4 hours.

Jeterpool
10-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Nice run! Well done. Do the western Sydney one. It's all flat!

belchardo
06-05-2017, 02:38 PM
sub 2 hour marathon attempt underway. currently on pace after 50 minutes. i hope they don't do it. i hate the whole idea. but **** me, if they do it...

belchardo
06-05-2017, 02:51 PM
2 of the 3 runners gone after 21km.

pv4
06-05-2017, 03:22 PM
2 of the 3 runners gone after 21km.

They are nutcases for trying this.

pv4
06-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Beat my PB again on the weekend. 22:58. It was a real struggle though but I'm very happy with the time

Jeezus. That is flying.

I recently hit my 50th parkrun. Got hooked

belchardo
06-05-2017, 03:39 PM
he's gone now i reckon.

and parkruns like that innit :D

pv4
06-05-2017, 05:05 PM
He missed sub 2hours by 25 seconds!

Bullshit that it can't be counted as a record imo

borat
08-06-2017, 11:27 AM

Anybody else do it?

Old post.......but am I reading this right. 60 mins 37 secs?????

Jeterpool
08-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Old post.......but am I reading this right. 60 mins 37 secs?????

Yep. He's quick

borat
08-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Yep. He's quick

That's lightening fast, and would require sprinting the start in the red group to beat the bottle neck. So impressive stuff.

As is your Parkrun PR btw Mr Pool. I only ever do Parkrun with my kids so never test myself at 5km as long distance is more my thing.

Parkrun is a awesome asset and you are blessed for choice in Newcastle

Jeterpool
08-06-2017, 11:56 AM
That's lightening fast, and would require sprinting the start in the red group to beat the bottle neck. So impressive stuff.

As is your Parkrun PR btw Mr Pool. I only ever do Parkrun with my kids so never test myself at 5km as long distance is more my thing.

Parkrun is a awesome asset and you are blessed for choice in Newcastle

Ha ha thanks mate. That PB was a few years ago prior to kids (so at least 3) and on the Lake Mac track. I am nowhere near that anymore and used to do Blackbutt more regularly as it's close to home and some people I knew did it. I had an injury last year and have struggled to get back into running. Maybe one day.

For interest, my friend completed her 10th consecutive run of Comrades in South Africa. If you've never heard of it, look it up. It's a 90km run between Durban and Pietermaritzburg (sorry for the spelling). She once again broke 9 hours. The mens winner finished in around 5 and a half hours. The women's winner around an hour after that.

14-11-2017, 01:35 AM
That said, it's not so bad in canberra as there isn't much humidity. Winter not so much fun though.

Couscous
17-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Anyone done one of those NZ running tours? A few companies do them and I hear they're increasingly popular. A week or so running in the mountains each day, up to about 20km/day but with a lot of climbing.

I'm keen to know what the food & accom is like because they don't seem to list many details of that.

pv4
17-11-2017, 12:37 PM
and parkruns like that innit :D

Turns out I got REALLY hooked. Joined one of the runnings clubs, and am even a Run Director now :oops:

Also, training plan starts next month to get set for my first marathon next year :O aiming for 4:30 or thereabouts time :brrr:

The Dunster
17-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Turns out I got REALLY hooked. Joined one of the runnings clubs, and am even a Run Director now :oops:

Also, training plan starts next month to get set for my first marathon next year :O aiming for 4:30 or thereabouts time :brrr:

Why ? You have a car ffs.

Jokes aside - yer a brave man - no way would I put my body through that type of pain.

pv4
17-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Why ? You have a car ffs.

Jokes aside - yer a brave man - no way would I put my body through that type of pain.

I don't think MFKFC frequents this thread so I should be all in the clear.. the bravest part was convincing the Mrs to be happy with me putting together the plan that will see me running basically 5 days a week for half a year + the 3 weeks I'll be travelling abroad to actually do the thing :oops:

belchardo
17-11-2017, 05:28 PM
nice work. on both the run directoring and the marathon attempt. where are you planning to run?

i'm kicking off my training for the canberra marathon in about a month.

goaliepersempre
17-11-2017, 05:36 PM
I don't think MFKFC frequents this thread so I should be all in the clear.. the bravest part was convincing the Mrs to be happy with me putting together the plan that will see me running basically 5 days a week for half a year + the 3 weeks I'll be travelling abroad to actually do the thing :oops:

yewwwww... im sure will smash it.. Where as il be at the finishing line drinking a pint :P :P

pv4
17-11-2017, 10:34 PM
nice work. on both the run directoring and the marathon attempt. where are you planning to run?

i'm kicking off my training for the canberra marathon in about a month.

Thanks pal!

All booked in for the Hamburg Marathon in late April.

belchardo
24-11-2017, 09:51 AM
woo! new parkrun up your way. unfortunately it's in coastie territory. san remo. post run coffee has to be at the doylo!

halo se7en
18-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Only just found this thread now! Nice to see some other runners around. I’m a parkrun regular (around 110 done I think?) and PB is 21:24 at Lake Mac but that was 2yrs back... after playing fri night o35s this year, I put the brakes on running Sat morning until August when I started again. I can usually get around ~23mins on a good day. I don’t run enough though which is why I can’t ever get it lower on a consistent basis.

belchardo
09-01-2018, 07:47 PM
great 14km run today, despite having a cold and the torrential downpour halfway through (actually, i love running in pouring rain. must be the drainage engineer in me).

one of those runs that reminds you why you run despite all the tough runs.

closest i feel to how griff must feel all the time.

pv4
10-01-2018, 09:50 AM
woo! new parkrun up your way. unfortunately it's in coastie territory. san remo. post run coffee has to be at the doylo!

The Region of Runners already has a dozen courses, with Cessnock coming eventually too.

I've done both the existing Central Coast runs. Mount Penang is tacky and I don't like it. The Entrance was ok, and the early start time actually makes it pretty good. San Remo I'm led to believe the council and/or government actually got this one going, because they see the area as high-risk with hoodlums and degenerates and they needed more community activities. It launches on 2018-01-27.

yo halo - are you frequenting Lake Mac or venturing around? Come say gday when I'm up on the table pal! I envy your PB, and your consistent time still!

I actually hit a PB on Xmas Day! And I am 2 runs away from regionaire - it's been unreal venturing to all the Novocastrian Region of Runners courses! My favourite so far has been Blackbutt, and my least favourite Lakeview.

Did anyone do #thedouble on New Years Day? Far out what amazing vibes at The Beaches to finish it off! I hope they do that every year, was genuinely fantastic. I never got around to doing the Triple Threat, so can't directly compare, but man the double was fun!

Currently in Week Five of my marathon training plan. Been going well so far! But the next few long runs are starting to get daunting - did a 16k last Sunday and this upcoming one is 19k. In 3 weeks it'll be 24k, which is the longest I've run (longest I've so far done is the Lake Mac Half Marathon).

So here's a question - what works for yall with gels/bars/etc? I'm basically getting some samples of a bunch of stuff and giving them a try. Had my first gel (Winners brand, just what Woolies had on the shelf) on that previously mentioned 16k run and I honestly didn't notice any positive effect BUT I didn't notice a negative one either. I've purchased a few Hammer Gels, which a few people have raved to me about. And I've tried twice, and enjoyed, a Clif Bar after a run. Everyone just tells me to find what works for me and roll with that, which sounds like great advice. But yeah, what works for yall?

belchardo
10-01-2018, 10:50 AM
pv4, so many comments in there to respond to!

The Region of Runners already has a dozen courses, with Cessnock coming eventually too.

where the hell is cessnock up to? i swear it was this time last year they were after volunteers for the first event!

I've done both the existing Central Coast runs. Mount Penang is tacky and I don't like it. The Entrance was ok, and the early start time actually makes it pretty good. San Remo I'm led to believe the council and/or government actually got this one going, because they see the area as high-risk with hoodlums and degenerates and they needed more community activities. It launches on 2018-01-27.

have done the entrance, the day before easter last year. we enjoyed the run, but god damn i don't think the council staff had been round the dunnies yet. 3 blocked up completely and the 4th out of bog roll from memory! mount penang is on the list, but when you only come up to visit for a weekend, heading an hour and a half back down the road is not really enticing. we will be attending the san remo launch (anybody else going, we'll (wife and i) be wearing apricot shirts with "ginninderra" as the home run. Brendan is my name). interesting with the council involvement.

I actually hit a PB on Xmas Day! And I am 2 runs away from regionaire - it's been unreal venturing to all the Novocastrian Region of Runners courses! My favourite so far has been Blackbutt, and my least favourite Lakeview.

Did anyone do #thedouble on New Years Day? Far out what amazing vibes at The Beaches to finish it off! I hope they do that every year, was genuinely fantastic. I never got around to doing the Triple Threat, so can't directly compare, but man the double was fun!

we missed out on christmas day. bloody parents and their insistence on going to mass! we've run on a couple of christmas days (curl curl and cooks river), but we did do a double on new years day down here (tuggeranong and gungahlin). christmas day is a great vibe. new years day, some dude (doing the parkrun) told me off for yelling too loudly about approaching bikes. :rof: must have had a big night.

Currently in Week Five of my marathon training plan. Been going well so far! But the next few long runs are starting to get daunting - did a 16k last Sunday and this upcoming one is 19k. In 3 weeks it'll be 24k, which is the longest I've run (longest I've so far done is the Lake Mac Half Marathon).

So here's a question - what works for yall with gels/bars/etc? I'm basically getting some samples of a bunch of stuff and giving them a try. Had my first gel (Winners brand, just what Woolies had on the shelf) on that previously mentioned 16k run and I honestly didn't notice any positive effect BUT I didn't notice a negative one either. I've purchased a few Hammer Gels, which a few people have raved to me about. And I've tried twice, and enjoyed, a Clif Bar after a run. Everyone just tells me to find what works for me and roll with that, which sounds like great advice. But yeah, what works for yall?

exactly right with "find out what works for you". i generally take a gel on anything longer than a 75 minute run, with about a gel every 45 minutes. i use something with a bit of caffeine in it (vanilla bean or tri-berry gu gels for example), as it seems to give me a little extra pep on the run. i will sometimes have a gel if i'm going on a hard run and feel flat before heading out (like yesterday). your run is overseas yeah? might be worth finding out what they have over there and see if you can get some. don't want to try anything new on the day otherwise you could end up in the shit (figuratively and literally)!

more important i'm finding is what you do after the run. stuff i've read recommends about 4:1 carb to protien ratio and about 800-1000kJ (depends a bit on body weight) within 30 minutes of finishing. i generally have a 600mL chocolate milk and muesli bar when i finish. then have a meal about an hour after that. and drink like a fish. and light stretching after with possible foam rolling of any tight/sore bits will also help. i've generally been doing that this time around and i'm feeling a lot better overall. (don't forget to do some light weight training a few times a week too)

pv4
10-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Cessnock - some Cessnock chick whom I think runs a gym, plus one of our Lake Mac regulars (whom finished 20 seconds behind you in your recent visit to LM!) were teaming up together to get it up and running. But it sounds as if the chick kinda abandoned it, and left it all to our mate. He was super keen to help out and contribute, but wasn't ready to be solely responsible for it. But it's with him, and he is keen etc to get it up and running, but he just needs to invest the time to do it and hasn't had the opportunity yet because of his own life things. BUT he promised me last week he's sorting it, that's his "New Years Resolution". I'd say mid this year hopefully!

I'm now having a good stalk of your parkrun profile :rof::oops: I am SO JEALOUS of the amount of different courses you've done! I'm slowly building up, that's good inspiration. Thoughts/questions on the ones you've done:
- How great was Shellharbour? I did it the wkend just gone and freaking loved it! People kept telling me Sandon Point was more scenic but I disagree. And the Shellharbour course was unreal, hard but unreal!
- Extremely jealous you got to do North Gong before the course got flipped!! I went there I think it was the 2nd week they had flipped the course, but stupid me didn't read their facebook page so arrived at halfway, ie original start point. The Marshal walks up at 8am on the dot and me and two random girls there went "fxxx" and so ran 7.5km to finish off the run (and then I ran back home, so a sweet 10k parkrun)! Funny, and not what I was prepared for that day! The course would have been so much better the original way, stupid local councils!
- I am Fingal Bay and Singleton away from Regionaire. I hear Fingal is nice but Singleton is pretty crappy. Hoping to knock these over in the next month or two.
- make sure you get some extra vols up m8! 3 per year is obviously the goal but don't you go shortchanging it! I'm actually going to hit 25 vols the next time I process results.
- What is Ginninderra like, is it pram-friendly? My pals do Gungahlin weekly, and like it. Which of the Canberra courses are and aren't pram-friendly?
- I processed the results when you recently did LM. You should have given me a buzz and a bribe, could have sorted a sweet time for you :rof::oops:

Mount Penang is worth doing, but I wouldn't go out of my way again to do it. They hype up the Gardens etc but you barely run thru them. The one cool thing about Mount Penang is you run thru/around the International Football School down there, so it at least has some form of football-esque link.

I can't make it to the San Remo launch, bugger! If you're up this way again though let me know.

If people actually bothered to keep left they wouldn't need to be yelled at. You do your thing! Obviously Lake Mac has the narrow path that cyclists use regularly and I'd rather shout and annoy a hungover runner then have a runner-to-bike accident.

The marathon we're doing actually supplies High5 gels are part of the run, so I was planning on investigating all the gels inc that and hopefully get used to using those so it made it less hassle.

I am freaking useless with post-run recovery! The best I'd do is sometimes go to the parents place for a spa :rof: otherwise I barely stretch or warm down or anything! I think particularly as these kms get bigger that I'm going to need to get better with all that.

The Dunster
11-01-2018, 03:01 PM
For the runners here - do you think people can train to become good runners or is it a pretty much a genetic lottery ? From my experience it's a lot like horse racing - breeding is fundamental. OF the runners I know [so a limited group] pretty much all of them have some pedigree in athletics or a sport where speed and / or endurance is fundamental like tennis, football, and so on. Either Mum, Dad, or a grandparent had the gift so to speak.

hawk
11-01-2018, 05:13 PM
For the runners here - do you think people can train to become good runners or is it a pretty much a genetic lottery ? From my experience it's a lot like horse racing - breeding is fundamental. OF the runners I know [so a limited group] pretty much all of them have some pedigree in athletics or a sport where speed and / or endurance is fundamental like tennis, football, and so on. Either Mum, Dad, or a grandparent had the gift so to speak.

Genetics is the biggy for mine. Some peeps who take it up later to find they can do it quite well. I tried and ima 5km parkrun max. jog, walk, sprint(lol) is my preferred.

Although for some reason I could chase a ball for nearly 90 mins, take it away i cant run.

belchardo
11-01-2018, 08:41 PM
well, that all comes down to how you class "good runners". if you want to win the olympics, or the berlin marathon, you need genetics and an amazing training regime (among a load of other things).

if you class "good runners" as just those reaching their potential, then no, it's about being willing to put in the training, and then having the time/money/lifestyle to be able to put in the training.

The Dunster
12-01-2018, 03:00 AM
well, that all comes down to how you class "good runners". if you want to win the olympics, or the berlin marathon, you need genetics and an amazing training regime (among a load of other things).

if you class "good runners" as just those reaching their potential, then no, it's about being willing to put in the training, and then having the time/money/lifestyle to be able to put in the training.

Was thinking more along the lines of not Olympic Standard but pretty shit hot like people that can break 35min for 10k track run or males that can break 11 seconds over 100m.

halo se7en
12-01-2018, 10:46 AM
yo halo - are you frequenting Lake Mac or venturing around? Come say gday when I'm up on the table pal! I envy your PB, and your consistent time still!

I did Callaghan before Xmas and more recently Blue Gum (maybe last weekend or the weekend before, I can't remember?). I'll probably hit up LM tomorrow though!

pv4
29-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Looks like halo & belchardo both did San Remo launch.. how was it fellas?

belchardo
29-01-2018, 08:35 PM
ran the san remo launch on the weekend. alright course, a few tight spots. nice views for most of the run, but goddamn, i felt like i'd swum the 5km rather than run it. we novocastrians-that-moved-to-canberra cannot handle humidity anymore! as we were driving in i said to my wife "i wonder what the locals think when all these cars rock up". parked the car, got out, this old dude washing his boat asked us what was going on! we couldn't convince him to join us. he seemed more open to it when we came back to leave. parkrun win!

followed it up on the sunday with a 29km run out-and-back on the fernleigh track. again, the humidity! was pretty happy with the run overall though. furthest i've run in about 12 months or so. little bit sore today, but should be good to go again tomorrow.

how's the distance tracking for you pv4?

belchardo
29-01-2018, 08:40 PM
oh, and vlad the impaler was a good 400m or so in front of second place when he passed me on his way back! i console myself that i was on a slow recovery run, so my time of around twice his is not so bad. :brrr:

also, glad i was not a volunteer, hour and a half for the last finisher!

pv4
29-01-2018, 08:55 PM
I was at Lake Mac the day Vlad hit 15:15. You could tell he was running a special pace that day! Bastard doesn't volunteer though.. would prob get more clients if he did..

Saturday was muggy as fark! Sunday a bit better though. I actually had my longest run to date - 24k! Feeling sore today but alright. From here until my marathon it's on/off ao a "short" long run this sunday but then longer than yesterday in 2 sundays time.

Is anyone else doing the Summer Run series? I missed the first one but am doing this Sunday in Carrington

Bremsstrahlung
30-01-2018, 05:21 AM
What shoes do you guys wear?
Do you alternate? How regularly do you replace them?

pv4
30-01-2018, 07:44 AM
What shoes do you guys wear?
Do you alternate? How regularly do you replace them?

New Balance 1080

I went to Pure Performance and got the whole treadmill video, assessment, etc type deal. I still don't believe half of the people in there are actually trained and truly knowledgeable on that whole "science" but they offered me a few shoes that allegedly matched my running style and the NBs felt alright so rather than do the savvy thing and buy them cheaper online, I caved and bought them in store. Something about supporting local businesses etc. Plus they were sponsoring LM parkrun so it felt nice to fork my money out there.

What I will say, after my "they know nothing" rant above.. is these shoes have been genuinely PERFECT for me! I adore these bastards. They won't last me until the end of my training plan so only a fortnight ago I went back to Pure and told them how perfect they were and what can they offer me for my future shoe to replace them and........ I bought another pair of the same! I haven't yet, but plan to wear the new ones sporadically in the next few weeks and see how long my OG pair last me up until week 20. I think I'll use the new ones fully for a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the race though, if not earlier.

^ I don't pretend to be an expert on all those numbers and timelines etc. All I do know is these NBs have been faultless for me.

pv4
30-01-2018, 09:38 AM

Worst I've had when volunteering was 1:24 and that definitely ruffled some vols feathers :rof:

The Dunster
30-01-2018, 11:30 AM
New Balance 1080

I went to Pure Performance and got the whole treadmill video, assessment, etc type deal. I still don't believe half of the people in there are actually trained and truly knowledgeable on that whole "science" but they offered me a few shoes that allegedly matched my running style and the NBs felt alright so rather than do the savvy thing and buy them cheaper online, I caved and bought them in store. Something about supporting local businesses etc. Plus they were sponsoring LM parkrun so it felt nice to fork my money out there.

What I will say, after my "they know nothing" rant above.. is these shoes have been genuinely PERFECT for me! I adore these bastards. They won't last me until the end of my training plan so only a fortnight ago I went back to Pure and told them how perfect they were and what can they offer me for my future shoe to replace them and........ I bought another pair of the same! I haven't yet, but plan to wear the new ones sporadically in the next few weeks and see how long my OG pair last me up until week 20. I think I'll use the new ones fully for a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the race though, if not earlier.

^ I don't pretend to be an expert on all those numbers and timelines etc. All I do know is these NBs have been faultless for me.

These workers are overworked and earn less than $20 per week in a city where the average one bedroom apartment costs $725,000. Sort of defeats the purpose of supporting local business.

Rather than buy Asian production New Balance people should purchase the USA made ones and support workers getting paid a real wage more so than legitimising an Asian sweatshop.

pv4
30-01-2018, 01:30 PM
These workers are overworked and earn less than $20 per week in a city where the average one bedroom apartment costs $725,000. Sort of defeats the purpose of supporting local business.

Rather than buy Asian production New Balance people should purchase the USA made ones and support workers getting paid a real wage more so than legitimising an Asian sweatshop.

Is NB not American-made? I genuinely don't know enough about all of this.

The Dunster
30-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Is NB not American-made? I genuinely don't know enough about all of this.

NB are one of the few to still produce some of their lines in the USA.
Nike on the other-hand are a 100% sweatshop operation who sell piss poor quality shoes behind a lot of clever marketing.

Fashion seems to win over function these days in shoes and pretty much everything else which is unfortunate.

I'd gladly pay $1000 for a pair of quality US or Japanese made running shoes rather than $300 for the shit Nike are pawning off these days.

hawk
01-02-2018, 11:23 AM

what? for 5km? you cant walk that slow.

As for shoes saucony are my favs although 25+ yrs of football has dashed any chance of running beyond 5's.

The Dunster
01-02-2018, 12:00 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/sYtAxfZJlhVC/giphy.gif

Technically I'm still on topic.

Bon
01-02-2018, 12:15 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/sYtAxfZJlhVC/giphy.gif

Technically I'm still on topic.

Bravo....

halo se7en
04-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Looks like halo & belchardo both did San Remo launch.. how was it fellas?

Not bad mate. Nice flat course and even with so may ppl it didn't feel too congested. Should be a comfortable run for the locals every week.

pv4
05-02-2018, 07:25 AM
I did Fingal Bay parkrun on the wkend, so one away from Regionaire now! (Singleton)

Did anyone else do the Summer Run City in Newy yesterday? I enjoyed the Hill to Harbour last year, but since then have heard some pretty damning things about H Events. And yesterday was my first exposure to some of the rumours. The course was 250-300m short! I still can't work out how they managed that one.. And they had some big stuff up with the race bibs and numbers had to change the morning of. The actual run I enjoyed though, nice and flat, but I definitely can vibe people are going to be pissed at Paul & co after it.

pv4
06-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Belch/halo/etc - coming to Lake Mac's 5th birthday this wkend?

belchardo
06-02-2018, 07:16 PM
nah, going to the goulburn launch though.

halo se7en
10-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Belch/halo/etc - coming to Lake Mac's 5th birthday this wkend?

Nah, down to Lakeview with Dad this weekend. 3 seconds off a PB... spewin!

belchardo
10-02-2018, 06:52 PM
goulburn launch not bad. relatively flat and fast course, some rolling sections and a nice little hill on the way to the finish line. about 450 runners. very congested start though including 2 180 degree bends.

belchardo
25-02-2018, 11:41 AM
another lovely run in the rain. a few deep puddles to ford :yay:

32km in just over 3 hours, felt good and seems like i'm on track. :thumbsup:

*endofboast* :wanker: :rof:

belchardo
15-04-2018, 12:10 PM
3:38:58 for the marathon. stoked. rooted.

shocking headwind (like +40km/hr) between about kilometres 24 to 30, right when you want to conserve a bit of energy, and also right in the toughest bit of the course too!

strength let me down a bit, had the energy in the final 10km, but nothing left in the legs. did manage to put a spurt on coming into the finish. glad i did, it's much better to run 3:38:58 than 3:39:01. :gent:

3:30 here i come.

halo se7en
01-05-2018, 12:15 PM
3:38:58 for the marathon. stoked. rooted.

shocking headwind (like +40km/hr) between about kilometres 24 to 30, right when you want to conserve a bit of energy, and also right in the toughest bit of the course too!

strength let me down a bit, had the energy in the final 10km, but nothing left in the legs. did manage to put a spurt on coming into the finish. glad i did, it's much better to run 3:38:58 than 3:39:01. :gent:

3:30 here i come.

Nice work mate, it's impressive just running a marathon! I'm still just working on getting consistent 5km times haha

belchardo
01-05-2018, 01:50 PM
speaking of 5km times, anybody doing nulkaba this weekend?

goaliepersempre
04-05-2018, 03:41 PM
PV4 completed the hamburg marathon... will let him post when back. but #****fabio

belchardo
06-05-2018, 05:21 PM
well done PV4! great effort. looks like you were suffering a little 35km on, but got a good burst for the last couple of km.

i will definitely need to do an overseas marathon one day.

nulkaba was a nice course. flat as, a few potential ankle-breakers, but hey, it's up to you to dodge them!

regionnaire status maintained!

halo se7en
07-05-2018, 10:27 AM
well done PV4! great effort. looks like you were suffering a little 35km on, but got a good burst for the last couple of km.

nulkaba was a nice course. flat as, a few potential ankle-breakers, but hey, it's up to you to dodge them!

I'll get up there and do Nulkaba soon enough... I'm not too keen on running Sat morning now that I'm back playing the Fri night o/35s.

pv4
15-05-2018, 05:15 AM

Thanks pal! 4:42:12, here are my splits:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2cik552.png

I honestly couldn't be prouder. It's super slow for most people, but the time & effort I put into that fxxxer in training and then smashing my training pace on race day, I am absolutely stoked. 35km was the hurt locker time, got a stitch which I'd never had in training plus my VMOs cramped up hard, particularly my left one. The last 2kms were sheer emotion that got me thru. Couldn't be happier with my marathon, and the holiday that went with it. gps flew up from Switzerland to be our support crew too, it was just an absolutely bangin' time.

So stoked for Steve the ED for getting Nulkaba up and running. He's a person I'll consider a genuine friend I've made solely from parkrun. Devastated I've lost regionaire status, I need to get up there ASAP to reclaim that throne hahaha!

The Dunster
15-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Thanks pal! 4:42:12, here are my splits:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2cik552.png

I honestly couldn't be prouder. It's super slow for most people, but the time & effort I put into that fxxxer in training and then smashing my training pace on race day, I am absolutely stoked. 35km was the hurt locker time, got a stitch which I'd never had in training plus my VMOs cramped up hard, particularly my left one. The last 2kms were sheer emotion that got me thru. Couldn't be happier with my marathon, and the holiday that went with it. gps flew up from Switzerland to be our support crew too, it was just an absolutely bangin' time.

So stoked for Steve the ED for getting Nulkaba up and running. He's a person I'll consider a genuine friend I've made solely from parkrun. Devastated I've lost regionaire status, I need to get up there ASAP to reclaim that throne hahaha!

That's a great result PV4 you should be very proud of yourself.

pv4
25-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Shameless event donation plug. Some pals and I are taking on the Oxfam 100 in August. We're aiming to do it in 24-27 hours, if all goes to plan. If you have any spare coin to donate to either helping poverty, or towards me punishing the hell out of my body for more than a full day, head on over:
https://trailwalker.oxfam.org.au/my/team/33946

pv4
08-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Any of us get involved with Newrun yesterday? I slowly shuffled my way thru the marathon. And never want to do Newy parkrun ever again.

belchardo
08-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Nice. Happy with the result? Did the course go via the newy parkrun course?

Canberra marathon for me next weekend.

pv4
08-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Nice. Happy with the result? Did the course go via the newy parkrun course?

Canberra marathon for me next weekend.

I used it as glorified training for UTA50 so happy to get the kms and hours on the legs. The constant sun and heat and lack of shade made it hot and stupid, but glad to get thru it.

It started at the brewery, ran to the baths, then turned around and headed thru Honeysuckle and basically did Newy parkrun in reverse, then back to the Brewery. That gave 14k, then do that loop 2 more times.

belchardo
14-04-2019, 04:49 PM
newcastle would suit a june/july marathon i think.

had a bit of a shocker this weekend. went out too hard and paid for it. hip flexors and glutes all screaming from about 32km, was on track for 3:30, finished 3:50. lessons learned and all that, still had fun.

belchardo
06-05-2019, 01:59 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/06/ineos-eliud-kipchoge-attempt-break-marathon-two-hour-barrier-london

another sub 2-hour attempt to be made.

i reckon they'll do it this time.

pv4
07-05-2019, 08:15 AM
I have been getting a bit of parkrun tourism done. I aimed for, and have successfully gotten to a new event for me at least once a month so far this year. Starting to need to get creative for the next few months though. Belch I will almost definitely be making a mad dash down to Coombes in the next few months, I'll hit you up before I do.

pv4
27-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Completed the UTA50 last wkend, what an amazing event!

I spent a lot of time ignoring people telling me how much more fun and satisfying trail running was but I am unashamedly a convert now.

A few mates and I are taking on the Oxfam 100 in Sydney in August, if anyone is keen to donate to the charity hit me up with a PM and I will shoot you our donation page or you can join our 100 club to try and win some coin back.

pv4
06-01-2020, 03:32 PM
Anyone interested in doing a Virtual Run in aid of Bushfire support:

https://reliefrun.com.au/?fbclid=IwAR0rc9r5RGcnpDAxZhAtfnKbPPrbzvapw7gUJlE1 VY8pX_B1U2k7uagP3HM

Bremsstrahlung
18-09-2020, 07:40 AM
What watches do you guys use?

Looking at Garmin mostly.
Tossing up between the 245music and Venu.
Want to just run with a watch and earphones.

Ideally would like to track swimming also. But the running features on 245 look impressive. But is it all necessary/useful?

pv4
18-09-2020, 09:04 AM
What watches do you guys use?

Looking at Garmin mostly.
Tossing up between the 245music and Venu.
Want to just run with a watch and earphones.

Ideally would like to track swimming also. But the running features on 245 look impressive. But is it all necessary/useful?

Most people use Garmin. I know a few people with I think the 645music and they love theirs. A pal of mine loves the Fenix, he uses it for a lot more activities than running.

I use a Garmin 235 (I always get a model or two behind as they're just outrageously priced). I love it, but note I don't synch it to music, don't monitor HR, and am satisfied with the levels of tracking it gets. Mine also lasted me my entire 100k run battery wise, which is the biggest plus! I am very much in line with your thoughts that a lot of the features in many, even mine, are unnecessary. As long as it lasts battery-wise and uploads to Strava, that satisfies me. Although I've started to play around with the intervals settings and that has honestly really impressed me also.

If you're doing a lot of trail running/hiking and want extremely accurate GPS and tracking, my understanding Suunto is the winner there.

Belch almost definitely has more in depth knowledge of this kind of stuff. His running is far more scientific than mine!

Earphones I have to recommend the Aftershokz, I think my pair are Trex Air? Unreal to run with, no problems with also wearing sunnies and a hat, etc.

Give me a buzz if you're ever keen for a scoot pal.

belchardo
20-09-2020, 05:05 PM
lol, scientific. I just do what i'm told to do. most of the time i'm running to a perceived effort rather than a heartrate.

I have a forerunner 945. cost me about $750 from rebel (don't tell my wife). they price-matched the watch from pushys online store.

does multisport, oxygen saturation seems like a gimmick, as does body battery and stress. optical heart rate gives you some funny readings - it can be out by 60 odd beats sometimes (but that is every optical heartrate monitor as far as i am aware). if i'm doing a session i will wear my heartrate strap. the heartrate strap gives you running dynamics, but i've only ever looked at them in passing. interesting but i've never studied it in detail or changed anything about my running as a result of it. you would need to get the swim strap for more detailed swim dynamics.

one of the attractions was the ability to put music on it. i bought a pair of JBL underarmour sport wireless react earphones ($120 i think) to go with it and have been very happy with the combo. it will drop out for less than a second every now and again, but not often enough or long enough to be annoying. and way less annoying than carrying my phone. they're waterproof as well - wore them this morning in driving rain with no issues. stay in the ear nicely with the little wing things that come with them even in the howling wind. sunnies/hat also no issue.

one feature i might get around to eventually is setting up the watch with payment details so that i can use it for buying a drink on the run if i ever need it. no certainty that i'll ever do it though. could be good for something like city to surf where you know you are going to be about 90 minutes before you get back to your gear.

I replaced my forerunner 735XT maybe a month ago when the screen cracked across the entire face. probably had it for about 18 months and it got the occasional bit of rough treatment. it did everything that i needed it to do. think you can still get them, but doesn't have the music functionality. haven't swum with the new watch but the old one would miss the occasional turn if you just touch the wall and go (rather than tumble turn).

for me, it's worth getting something that can do multisport. i like looking back on rides, swims, kayaks etc that i've done while on holidays.

Bremsstrahlung
25-09-2020, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys!
Ended up going with the Garmin Venu. The Forerunner 245 appealed with its pace setting and race predictor (May have given me some motivation to do a race and train for something).
Had a look at it and it just didn’t totally appeal to me.

Went with Venu and while it lacks a few of the high end running features, it passes as a simple everyday watch.
Have taken it for a swim and performed pretty well, HR seemed accurate (I wore it reasonably tight to prevent water getting underneath) and it tracked laps well. Was able to use the touchscreen with no issues when wet and underwater.

Went for the first run with it today and enjoyed it without carrying my phone, listening to music, was exactly what I wanted.
Tracks the basics of Pace and HR which I was more interested in. Gives some good graphs at the end.

By no means will it change what I do at this point, I’m not that into it, but it gives some good feedback and look forward to improving my VO2 and SWOLF scores as a bit of motivation.

Got swooped by a f***ing magpie the other week, so I’ve been a bit wary of venturing out. Bastard chased me for like a good minute and wouldn’t let up.

pv4
25-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Got swooped by a f***ing magpie the other week, so I’ve been a bit wary of venturing out. Bastard chased me for like a good minute and wouldn’t let up.

My advice is don't run on the Fernleigh Track, if that's the case. Between magpies and completely ignorant cyclists pushing their lanes + the speed limit, that place is a disgrace.

belchardo
16-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Parkrun back in the ACT from the 31st of October! Can't bloody wait.

belchardo
04-12-2020, 12:23 PM
PV4 - do you know restart dates for hunter parkruns?

pv4
09-12-2020, 10:11 AM
PV4 - do you know restart dates for hunter parkruns?

Nothing confirmed yet as far as I know.

As far as I know.. LM and Newy want to restart as late as possible, and I believe Newy want all other RoR events to align with them.

From what I can vibe - Newy (start area), Nulkaba & Callaghan (private property) are the trickiest events to get restart permission.

belchardo
09-12-2020, 06:07 PM
i saw that Callaghan had said not until next year.

Fingal were saying 19th if they can.

why would newy want all other events to start as late as they do? who made them kings of the world?

Jeterpool
09-12-2020, 06:38 PM
i saw that Callaghan had said not until next year.

Fingal were saying 19th if they can.

why would newy want all other events to start as late as they do? who made them kings of the world?

The biggest and the original, I suppose...

Bremsstrahlung
24-02-2021, 07:43 PM
Hey folks,
You guys got any good running programs or ideas to up my kms?
My limit is probably 10km and that’s dying in the back end. Can do 6km reasonably comfortably and keep a steady pace.

Do I just need to keep dying on my 10kms and eventually it’ll be easier? Haha.

belchardo
28-02-2021, 04:40 PM
buy a pair of alphaflys. taking the piss there.

I think you're saying that you currently run up to 10km at a time, rather than you're dying in a race. None of this comes from anything other than my experience

number 1 - patience - as long as you keep working, you'll get better, but it will take time
number 2 - consistency - it's better to run consistently than do it in fits and starts. try to do roughly the same distances each week and add additional distance/load gradually.
number 3 - run easy/slow - do most of your distance at a conversational pace to avoid injury
number 4 - find a training group or go to parkrun. social running is a hell of a lot more fun than running every single run solo, but be careful not to get caught up in somebody else's pace too often

If you can handle four runs a week, you'll want to get an interval session in (fast and like 8/10 intensity max), a tempo (moderate, like 6/10) and a long run (easier, keep it less than 4/10 if you can, but some days it just gets away from you) with another shorter easy run slotted in somewhere that suits. A fun interval session is 5min at 10km pace, 4min at between 5km and 10km pace, 3min at 5km pace, 2min at 3km pace, 1min at 1500m pace with 90s rest between each one (plus warm up and cool down). search for mcmillan calculator and chuck a recent run into it to get a feel for what your paces would be (you don't have to give them your email details).

You save your 10/10 efforts for a race.

my week is generally about 8km easy on monday, an interval session on tuesday (depending on what i'm training for, anything between 1500m pace to 10km pace), wednesday is 12-15km easy, thursday is about 8km easy, friday is a longer session (for example, 4 x 5 mins or a 20 minute tempo at 10km to half marathon pace), saturday is 10-15km easy, sunday is a usually a 2 hour long run. everything other than Tuesday or Friday is pretty easy.

Other things that will definitely help is running specific strength (or hill repeats), strides and drills. and getting a coach if you can afford it and are that serious about it.

Where are you based? might be worth looking up either a physio or a running store, a lot of them have free run groups. a lot of social running groups out there too.

How far are you running each week and what are you doing for your steady pace 6km?

Bremsstrahlung
31-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Running more consistently now and it’s nice to reflect back on these “struggling to do 10” posts.

Bel, you were bang on with consistency and it was a bit of an eye opener to hear off many people that you don’t always have to run fast to improve.

Some other things that probably are overlooked, I definitely underestimated the benefit of a good pair of socks. My feet sweat quite alot, so thinner socks were resulting in “pruning” of my toes and forefoot making it very uncomfortable to run once the sock was wet. Switching to some more cushioned socks really helped negate that, and also provided some cushion.

Switched to Brooks Glycerin from Adrenalines (from Kayanos), and it’s made running a lot easier. They suit my run style alot better. Nice cushioning that’s really helped absorb some of the load that otherwise was going through my forefoot and knees.

I got some Endorphin Speed 2s on sale a little while ago after reading a lot of good things about them. Took them for their first spin today and these bad boys legit dragged me along at pace. I’ve never really encountered something like that before. Not sure if it’s the “roll” design or what. Rather impressed, might keep them for ‘special occasions’ haha.

belchardo
13-06-2022, 05:28 PM
good to hear man.

If you're salivating over a pair of speeds, wait until you try something with a carbon plate. modern foams plus carbon plates make for stupidly fast paces and quick recovery. you've just got to be a bit careful that you don't over-do it otherwise you'll do yourself some damage.