PDA

View Full Version : The Travel Thread..

Bon
29-04-2013, 12:04 PM
I went looking for the old travel thread but can't find it. So either I am blind, its been deleted, or it was on the old foz..

Anyway, I just booked my tickets back to Europe.. Going in June for approx 3 months.. (Mid season, I know.. But its something I've needed to do ever since I last went in '09..)

Rough idea is to fly in to London, spend a week there, then fly over to Finland, make our way across to Sweden, Norway, down through Denmark and in to Germany..
Then spend about a month in Germany (I've got friends and family spread all throughout), with a few weeks at the end left free and open, in case some sort of inspiration/idea/plan arises.. (There will definitely be some time devoted to Amsterdam, haha)..

Anyone else been to any of those countries and able to recommend definite things to do, things not to bother with, places to avoid, things to plan for.. Etc..

Premy
29-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Before you go to Germany I would stop into Bruge it's sort of on the way. It was my highlight when we were there and a Flanders Field tour is a must

q-money
29-04-2013, 04:13 PM
get a eurail pass and head down through the low countries

belgium holland etc go off, if heinously expensive at times

go see the major in the dam, he will show you a good time

goaliepersempre
29-04-2013, 05:13 PM
switzerland switzerland switzerland :)

belchardo
29-04-2013, 05:53 PM
strasbourg is worth a visit if you're in the area. eat as many tarte flambe as you can. fantastic! don't drink krick beer - cherry flavoured vomit juice.

goaliepersempre
29-04-2013, 05:57 PM
berlin is a must with prenzlauerberg suburb of berlin is a must :)

Bon
30-04-2013, 08:55 AM
switzerland switzerland switzerland :)

Am I correct in understanding that you are recommending Switzerland? :tongue:
Which parts? See what? I was there when I was about 10 years old and only have my swiss army knife to prove I was even there.. And a memory of cows with bells..

strasbourg is worth a visit if you're in the area. eat as many tarte flambe as you can. fantastic! don't drink krick beer - cherry flavoured vomit juice.

Krick beer hey? I didn't realise Strasbourg was so close to the French/German border..
I'm not sure I'll make it there though. My cousin who I am travelling with has an irrational distaste, bordering on hatred, for the French..

berlin is a must with prenzlauerberg suburb of berlin is a must :)

Yeah Berlin will definitely be visited. I was there in '09 (stayed in Friedrichshain suburb) and it was just brilliant, riding bikes around everywhere whilst drinking largies of cheap German beer.. We were told to place our empties in the gutter, cause it is a way of "giving back" to the city. I didn't understand it until they pointed out that the homeless people pick them up and trade it in for coin..

I've got a few friends (couchsurfer chicks that stayed at our place over the last summer) who are looking to show us around Berlin again.. :grin:
What makes Prenzlauerberg worth checking out?

belchardo
02-08-2013, 12:11 AM
orrite. i know this was run through about 15 times on the old foz, but somebody decided to blow it up...

will be in london for a week in mid/late october. want to go to an EPL match. Arsenal, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Chelsea all playing at home that weekend.

is there any way you can get tickets without becoming a member? must be nice to be in the situation EPL clubs are in: 'you want tickets? buy a membership'

would i have any more luck trying to get tickets to a championship match?

evolution
02-08-2013, 01:12 AM
orrite. i know this was run through about 15 times on the old foz, but somebody decided to blow it up...

will be in london for a week in mid/late october. want to go to an EPL match. Arsenal, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Chelsea all playing at home that weekend.

is there any way you can get tickets without becoming a member? must be nice to be in the situation EPL clubs are in: 'you want tickets? buy a membership'

When I was a travel agent I used these guys to book EPL tickets: http://www.sporttours.com.au/soccer/english-premier-league.html

Got Liverpool v Everton tickets for some clients through them. The catch is they only deliver the tickets to hotels for security reasons, so if you're staying with friends you have to book a night somewhere.

Personally, I bought tickets to Crystal Palace v Bristol City @ Selhurst Park (EPL playoff) three days before the game for bugger all money with no trouble. Still one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced.

GazFish35
02-08-2013, 06:44 AM
the mob we went through are bust.

you migt be able to get palace and west ham on game day.

Arsenal - send nobody a PM
Chelsea - send bluebeard a message

Thomas477
02-08-2013, 08:28 AM
When we went over, to get tickets at Tottenham we had to join their website. But for lower league games, such as League 1, I think you can just rock up.

belchardo
02-08-2013, 08:30 AM
join as in subscribe to the website (for free?) or become a member?

furns
02-08-2013, 09:51 AM
there are also sites like seatexchange

Grimario
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Little closer to home...

Mrs Grim and I are doing a road trip towards the end of next month. Planning around 4 days of driving down through southern tablelands, staying in Benalla then down towards Geelong, along Great Ocean Road and ending up in Adelaide at the end of it all. With the missus being from Adelaide, she's not done any touristy stuff in NSW and it's been a long, long time since I did anything touristy as a kid. What are the highlights down that part of NSW... and what about the trip down through Vic and across to SA?

We will be doing a return trip a few weeks later as well... coming up through Bordertown/Horsham/Ballarat/Bendigo/Shepparton before hitting Benalla and then heading home so any tips for that return trip would be awesome as well.

Thomas477
04-08-2013, 07:53 PM
join as in subscribe to the website (for free?) or become a member?

website I believe

turbo
28-08-2013, 05:53 AM

Just turn up chief. Few premier league clubs will sell you "walk up" tickets on the day, although newcastle did it for the first time for a league game last saturday. Which says much about the way that fat clown mike ashley is running things. But i gaurantee you if you get to the emirates a couple of hours early you'll see people walking around holding spare tickets in the air.

Fulham have a neutral section of the ground aimed at tourists, so if you get to the cottage a day or two before the match you should be able to get tickets no bother.

boz-monaut
28-08-2013, 07:34 AM
flight paths around the planet

http://i.imgur.com/jAlw8ap.gif

Grimario
28-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Little closer to home...

Mrs Grim and I are doing a road trip towards the end of next month. Planning around 4 days of driving down through southern tablelands, staying in Benalla then down towards Geelong, along Great Ocean Road and ending up in Adelaide at the end of it all. With the missus being from Adelaide, she's not done any touristy stuff in NSW and it's been a long, long time since I did anything touristy as a kid. What are the highlights down that part of NSW... and what about the trip down through Vic and across to SA?

We will be doing a return trip a few weeks later as well... coming up through Bordertown/Horsham/Ballarat/Bendigo/Shepparton before hitting Benalla and then heading home so any tips for that return trip would be awesome as well.

:gent:

plague
28-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Just turn up chief. Few premier league clubs will sell you "walk up" tickets on the day, although newcastle did it for the first time for a league game last saturday. Which says much about the way that fat clown mike ashley is running things. But i gaurantee you if you get to the emirates a couple of hours early you'll see people walking around holding spare tickets in the air.

Fulham have a neutral section of the ground aimed at tourists, so if you get to the cottage a day or two before the match you should be able to get tickets no bother.

This.
We got scalped tickets at the Emitates within 2 mins of walking out of the train station.
Also there's an awesome pub a couple of blocks from Craven Cottage called the Crabtree which we went to a few times and were always talking to blokes who had spares etc.

Just do some research first so you know where you're sitting at certain grounds (use seat maps etc, blokes we know got sold away tix at Emirates and spent the day cowering from abuse).
Otherwise if you are trying to get to a premium game (2big teams/derbys etc) there's a website I use that is legit and gets guaranteed tix but you will pay good money.
(We used it for Liverpool v Spurs, Man U v Liverpool and got awesome seats.).

most importantly be early to the ground and start talking to street vendors they will help you out.

ToddG NBUnited
15-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Heading off for 2 weeks in Europe tomorrow, meeting the fiance in Dubai then on to London, 5 nights in UK, 2 nights in France, 2 in Switzerland and then finishing off with 4 nights in Italy. Looking forward to it!

sammydog
15-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Next trip is two weeks surfing in Fiji later in the year. Can't wait.

Am I correct in understanding that you are recommending Switzerland? :tongue:
Which parts? See what? I was there when I was about 10 years old and only have my swiss army knife to prove I was even there.. And a memory of cows with bells..

Love the Wallis Valley region. Its on the Swiss/Italian border. Stunning area.

Wifes family used to own a chalet up in one of the mountains (Bellwald). Selling it was the worst move ever, used to love going there. Will go back with the kids but it won't be the same.

militiamon
15-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Anyone been to Chile, Bolivia, or Peru before? What's the good word?

pv4 has already written me a travel book-equivalent amount of information on Peru (y)

ToddG NBUnited
16-01-2014, 04:02 AM
Just checked in for the flight to dubai, free upgrade to business class. Fvcking Joel Griffiths!!!. This is going to be the most griff holiday in history.

pv4
16-01-2014, 07:00 AM
pv4 has already written me a travel book-equivalent amount of information on Peru (y)

:cool: anything for my fellow 2283 brother

selassie
16-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Anyone been to Chile? What's the good word?

pinochet and the chicago boys :oops:

skippy
16-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Just checked in for the flight to dubai, free upgrade to business class. Fvcking Joel Griffiths!!!. This is going to be the most griff holiday in history.

Best thing ever, praise Griff.

militiamon
16-01-2014, 06:03 PM
pinochet and the chicago boys :oops:

lol, I should have foreseen this.

MFKS
16-01-2014, 06:24 PM

Umm IF you ain't back in time for Griffos glorious return how can it be a good holiday at all???

GazFish35
16-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Anyone been to Chile, Bolivia, or Peru before? What's the good word?

I've done Peru.
Walk the inca trail. Don't train and bus it.

pv4
16-01-2014, 07:18 PM
I've done Peru.
Walk the inca trail. Don't train and bus it.

:rof: I wrote him about 2000 words on peru which summarised to about what you said

MFKS
16-01-2014, 07:35 PM
:rof: I wrote him about 2000 words on peru which summarised to about what you said
2000 words to say something that an educated intelligent man could sum up in 10 words.

Yet you keep denying you are Gypo :whistling:

Grimario
16-01-2014, 08:08 PM
2000 words to say something that an educated intelligent man could sum up in 10 words.

Yet you keep denying you are Gypo :whistling:

If anything, it's proof he isn't. What gypo knows 200 words let alone 2000?

MFKS
16-01-2014, 08:33 PM
If anything, it's proof he isn't. What gypo knows 200 words let alone 2000?
He never said they were 2000 different words he could have been repeating many of them repeatedly. There is also nothing reported that it made sense either

plague
16-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Just booked my trip to Vegas for the World Cup. Anyone been? Tips? Feedback?

MFKS
16-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Just booked my trip to Vegas for the World Cup. Anyone been? Tips? Feedback?

World Cup of what???

plague
16-01-2014, 10:41 PM
World Cup of what???

Football.
It's this game people play. It's quite popular.
Also known as soccer.
Heard of it?

russjaybee
17-01-2014, 09:37 AM
My 6 weeks leave for European odyssey has been tentatively approved by my boss, win.

I'm going to be travelling around England, Holland, Spain, France during the world cup, should be interesting. Pretty poor timing overall as it means I wont get to see my might Gunners in action :(. Oh well will have to go again another time.

goaliepersempre
17-01-2014, 09:44 PM
My 6 weeks leave for European odyssey has been tentatively approved by my boss, win.

I'm going to be travelling around England, Holland, Spain, France during the world cup, should be interesting. Pretty poor timing overall as it means I wont get to see my might Gunners in action :(. Oh well will have to go again another time.

One Destination is missing here........

Lichael Richards
19-01-2014, 08:46 PM

Mykonos for a rear steer?

russjaybee
20-01-2014, 09:35 AM

Sorry mate wont be catching up with you in Switzerland :(

Bremsstrahlung
03-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Looking at a trip overseas in Mid November/early December for 2-3 weeks.
Options at the moment include:
-UK +/- Bit of a Euro trip
- Canada/Alaska +/- Bit of US
- Fiji/Cruise/Pacific Islands
- Just head up the coast for a week or so and save my leave + $$$ for a bigger trip Next year.

Not sure if thats enough for a decent England + some Europe trip or not. Since i have pretty ambitious plans of things to do while in England/Europe. Just undecided if its worth the $$$ for flights over for 2-3 weeks or not. Predominately want to do England/UK. And since i' over there, figured i may as well do some kind of Euro trip. Not a very seasoned traveller (only done a South Island NZ trip).

Just curious for those that have been if 2-3 weeks is enough time to enjoy the delights of UK.

Thomas477
03-05-2014, 06:00 PM
I was there in February 2011 and we spent 10 days in London alone, and 4 in Manchester. I would say it would depend on if you want to go to any football matches while you were over there. We managed 7 games in 14 days, 6 EPL ones. There's a lot to do if you're interested in going to Wembley, Wimbledon and other football stadiums etc, as well as the typical Westminster, London Eye, Museums etc.

GazFish35
03-05-2014, 06:24 PM
The flights are not worth it for only 2-3wks. In price and time in the air.

I'd hit up Sth east Asia if you have tight time frame and small budget.

belchardo
03-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Agree with gaz. The flight to Europe is long. You lose about 2 days each way when you include jet lag, there goes a large chunk of such a short break.

I'd save your leave and your dollars for a longer trip next year. If you're going for europe, in my opinion you need 4 weeks minimum.

militiamon
04-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Counter points:

- I went to Europe for exactly 2-3 weeks (like 18 days or something) a couple of years back, it was great.
- All depends on how many places you want to go to of course, but I find about 3-4 nights is fine for large cities.
- Didn't feel like I wasted my money at all given the length of time, the flights to Europe weren't expensive at all ($1100 return), and all up it cost me about $3000. (Note: student prices for flights, mixed it up with accommodation as well)

Guess it depends on what kind of traveller you are and what you like to do.
Dunno how some peeps can spend over a week in one city, that would bore me shitless unless I was doing day-trips to other cities nearby.

furns
04-05-2014, 03:08 AM
once you get to Europe, the flights around the EU are pretty cheap apparently. So there is that.

skippy
06-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Go to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

Cheap, not massive flights, cheap

Bremsstrahlung
19-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Anybody done the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu?

GazFish35
19-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Anybody done the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu?

Yep.
What do you wanna know?

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/768xq90/540/33644b.jpg

plague
19-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Yep.
What do you wanna know?

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/768xq90/540/33644b.jpg

Yeah. Any chicks?

GazFish35
19-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Chicks? On the trail? Hundreds. Based on 500 tourists on the trail, and 50/50 split between genders.

In your tour group? depends who your tour company group is.

Bremsstrahlung
19-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Awesome!
Basically, was it amazing?

Assuming you did a tour, how did you find your particular company?
Fitness required?
Safety in and around Peru?

GazFish35
19-07-2014, 09:15 PM
It was amazing. Best thing I've done.
You can't do the trail without being on an organised tour.
They limit the numbers on the trail to try and protect it so it's not something you can leave to that's minute usually.

We went with GAP and they were great, 12 travellers from all over the world, 4 Aussies, 2 Irish, 2 Japanese, a German, a yank and two Canadians..... We saw Gecko groups that were packed with Aussies, we shared a long boat in the amazon with one gecko group, and while I was talking football, beer and daily life with the German and the Japanese bloke in our group, the all Aussie Gecko group were arguing about state of origin....**** me drunk.

Go with GAP.

We did the trail as part of a three week tour, and GAP work by meeting you at the hotel in Lima, and a local guide takes you around the country handing you over to experts in the areas you visit.... And they don't over schedule you, you can ditch the group and do your own thing, so long as you are at breakfast the next morning..... They chuck you in taxi's ride local buses, donkeys etc, not in an air conditioned tourist bus, so you get to feel like your not actually on a tour.

Back on the trail.....

Usually you meet up with your trail guide in Cuzco... Amazing city.... If the football season is on get to to a game, we missed it as we were there between the open and close seasons... Cuzco is the Incan capital, but has a lot of Spanish influence, absolutely beautiful city.

From Cuzco You spend a night in Olantytambo (spelling horrendous) and then get amino-bus to the the start of the trail where you meet your porters who carry all your gear except for your day pack.... Water and chocolate bars mainly...... You walk for about 4 hours then stop for lunch, then walk for another few hours before making camp...... The porters have already passed you on the trail and they set your tent up, cook dinner etc.

Day 1... Pretty easy going, scenery is breathtaking
Day2..... Harder work. You go over "dead woman's pass" highest point on trek. altitude is breath taking, and scenery gobsmacking
Day 3..... Adrenaline gets pumping, views are amazing, trail is mesmerising, last few Klm hurt as there's actually a lot of down hill steps. There's a bar and hot shower at camp that night!
Day 4..... Get up before the sun to get to the sungate and watch the lost city appear out of the clouds..... Breathtaking.

Fitness levels are hard to predict, I managed, and didn't really do any prep, I was 27 and in off season, the altitude particularly going up dead woman's pass slows you down.... We had one bloke turn crook, but he was a heavy smoker, and we had one 65 yr old lady beat us all into camp every night....and she was a heavy smoker too.... Altitude gets people in different measures.... I'd not want to be carry too much extra kegs round the middle though, anything you can trim off before you go has got to help. If your "average fitness" you can do it.

Safety.... We never felt unsafe in Peru, but took the usual precautions 1. Made sure people knew we weren't American, 2. Didn't flash cash, 3. Listened to local guides and avoided 'the wrong side of the tracks'

We loved our Peru trip, we still make Ceviche when we get fresh fish.

We went in jan2008

Somebody else on here picked my brain about the trail a few years ago, I think it was pv4

GazFish35
19-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Oh, and don't take photos of government buildings.

pv4
19-07-2014, 11:21 PM
I did Inca Trail in sep 2012. Will read Gaz's notes and give a detailed response tomorrow or monday. Early summary though - best thing I've done with my life ever.

Couscous
25-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Flight AH5017

NEWS

- BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28465010)
(Live coverage now concluded as no one gave a ****.)

- Four possible theories (http://news.sky.com/story/1306771/air-algerie-crash-four-possible-theories)
(Essentially: ran out of fuel; shot down by rebels; hijacked; storm.)

POETRY

http://i61.tinypic.com/28i6fiu.jpg

FACTS

http://i59.tinypic.com/rkwrw3.jpg

USEFUL LINKS

- Air Algiers customer reviews (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/algerie.htm)

- Things to do in Ouagadougou (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/burkina-faso/ouagadougou/things-to-do)

http://i61.tinypic.com/257n2mv.jpg

Skirt Boy
25-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Flight AH5017

NEWS

- BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28465010)
(Live coverage now concluded as no one gave a ****.)

- Four possible theories (http://news.sky.com/story/1306771/air-algerie-crash-four-possible-theories)
(Essentially: ran out of fuel; shot down by rebels; hijacked; storm.)

POETRY

http://i61.tinypic.com/28i6fiu.jpg

FACTS

http://i59.tinypic.com/rkwrw3.jpg

USEFUL LINKS

- Air Algiers customer reviews (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/algerie.htm)

- Things to do in Ouagadougou (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/burkina-faso/ouagadougou/things-to-do)

http://i61.tinypic.com/257n2mv.jpg

I've got a 3 planes to catch next week and will spend 24 hours in the air................I kinda don't need this right now.

plague
25-07-2014, 03:52 PM
I've got a 3 planes to catch next week and will spend 24 hours in the air................I kinda don't need this right now.
Pfffft, nothing to worry about.
Stats say there's more chance of getting pack raped by an NRL team than dying in a plane crash.

MFKS
25-07-2014, 04:51 PM

Mate I got into Auckland last week and flipped the Internets on and the MH17 news had just hit the net. I had been on a plane when it happened. I was also sitting in an airport 20-30 mins before boarding another. Makes you think about the worst for a few minutes but jumped on and other than the dickhead pilot circling NSW instead of landing didn't think about it.

Thought the **** was actually looking to find some **** to shoot us down that was how far away he was from Mascot

Bremsstrahlung
26-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks so much for that Gaz! Definitely helps.
Is it Spanish they speak there?
Travel agent hopefully sending some stuff over soon. Flights look to be the biggest expense.

pv4
26-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Travel agent hopefully sending some stuff over soon. Flights look to be the biggest expense.

:oops: I didn't read nor wb to Gaz's stuff. Will look at it over this week.

Yep, Spanish. But if you stick to the main tourist parts, a knowledge of numbers and how to buy things should get you through as most places have English speakers.

MFKS
26-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Having just come back from South America language is not that big of an issue really.

Sure as shit you will not understand what is being said but you will be surprised how easily work things out and how you get by.

You will quickly pick up 100 words plus a day but sentences are more of a stumbling block.

Anyways the good old sign language pointing and Uno tends to get through what you want.

As WLG said numbers are important to learn. It helps a hell of a lot knowing what 30 40 60 70 100 140 160 etc and not so much 1-9 Knowing your numbers means it is a lot easier to negotiate and not get ripped after you ask Cuánto cuesta??

militiamon
26-07-2014, 12:07 PM
hey d00dz, going to Peru in early Jan.
Now thinking that I'm going to see Machu Picchu.

By train.

Come at me.

MFKS
26-07-2014, 04:42 PM
hey d00dz, going to Peru in early Jan.
Now thinking that I'm going to see Machu Picchu.

By train.

Come at me.

You 100% locked into your plans???

Just wanted to point out to you the Copa America is on in Chile next off season June/July.

Get to see the likes of Messi Di Maria Neymar Rodriguez Falcao Vidal Sanchez Suarez Biting blokes etc. up close

Wouldn't be a bad thing to take in whilst there

Bremsstrahlung
02-08-2014, 02:47 AM
So, I've virtually planned this brief South American taster.
Originally, was set to go to Hawaii for the fortnight, though something got mentioned about machu picchu and bam suddenly that was an options.

Essentially going to do the first bit by tour, to hopefully avoid any early hiccups.
Arrive on the Sunday and start tour that day hopefully. They say arrive anytime and time difference means we would arrive around 6pm. Day 1 is simply arrive.

Day 2, fly to the amazon as part of G adventures tour, formerly GAP.
Days 3 is amazon
Day 4 is flying to Cuzco and city tour
Day 5 is day trip to ruins around Cuzco
Day 6 is first day of inca trek,
Day 7 is day 2
Day 8 is day 3
Day 9 is macchi picchu and return to Cuzco
Day 10 is checkout and finish tour. Hoping to fly to iaguzo falls after a flight to Lima and then to iaguzu, apparently arriving around 6-7pm.
Day 11. Iaguzu falls with potential afternoon flight to rio.
Day 12 fly to rio or be in rio
Day 13 be in rio
Day 14 rio and an evening flight en route home.

Very busy jam packed 2 weeks.

How reliable is air transport timing wise? Do they cancel flights frequently? Or is it hit and miss.

And how much time to get over jet lag roughly?

I'm still a bit 50:50 on a relatively expensive jam packed adventure or a nice relaxing trip to Hawaii. My time in Hawaii would more than likely be spent at the beach or climbing their mountains/volcanoes.

GazFish35
02-08-2014, 08:01 AM

Spanish is it.
Though in regional areas the locals still speak chechuan. (Spelling not right)
We saved heaps for Peru, then couldn't spend it, it was so cheap when we were there. Flights cost more than the five weeks of traveling.

GazFish35
02-08-2014, 08:02 AM
LAN Chile are reliable.

MFKS
02-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Firstly Iguassu Falls yeah you could do it in a day but really should be done in 2 as you have both perspectives Argentina and Brazil

To me it almost seems you want to look at it take a few photos and go

I spent basically 6~7 hours st the Argy side not forgetting travel border crossing etc

Just in general if 2 weeks is all you have got and you are prepared to go back to Sit Ammerica you may want to cut a thing or two for se quality time.at the other choices

As for the airlines they dance to the beat of a different drum over there

Early morning flights have more reliability but this part of the planet punctuality isn't the fortehttp://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?798-Newcastle-United-Jets-2013-2014-Squad-thread/page66

Bremsstrahlung
02-08-2014, 02:05 PM
At this stage, I've got plenty of time to get back to South America.
I guess I'm taking it the way many do Europe (minus the hangovers) these days. A lot do Europe on contiki or top deck and just get a taster of everywhere in a semi/fully intoxicated state. Then return later on to do smaller trips.
The tour is pretty much locked in. Personally the amazon didn't really impress me and I'd be happy just doing the trek and the iaguassu falls and rio. But alas, travel compromises.
So it kind of is just to spend some time there since we are there.
Yet to look at any football draws, so that may change when I see who is playing where.

MFKS
02-08-2014, 04:13 PM
How locked in are you with things??

Brazilian side of Iguazu you could do in probably 2~3 hours Argy side much longer

The other thing is that despite them being so close they take over an hour to get from 1 to the other by road without taking into account border crossing issues

In Argentina you have trails to walk there The upper and lower as well as the one up to gargantua El diablo.
I personally enjoyed the Argentina side more as every different part of the trail gave you a different perespecrive
They also have smaller ones boat rides and other stuff

Having done it 8 weeks ago you need to up your 're on this to a day and a half at least.

The other thing is the time you are spending there is pointless if you ain't going to the Argy side

That is also compounded by if you do decide to go to Argy side you are up for the Recipricocity fee which considering you ain't going to anywhere else in Argentina at well over $100Aud. Is almost like setting fire to money

You only need a day and a half in iguassu to do it properly

turbo
05-08-2014, 02:21 PM
We're looking at another trip down under, either early December for the wedding anniversary or right after new years. I'd say it's 50/50, could really do with the exchange rate picking up though.

pv4
05-08-2014, 02:33 PM
So, I've virtually planned this brief South American taster.
Originally, was set to go to Hawaii for the fortnight, though something got mentioned about machu picchu and bam suddenly that was an options.

Essentially going to do the first bit by tour, to hopefully avoid any early hiccups.
Arrive on the Sunday and start tour that day hopefully. They say arrive anytime and time difference means we would arrive around 6pm. Day 1 is simply arrive.

Day 2, fly to the amazon as part of G adventures tour, formerly GAP.
Days 3 is amazon
Day 4 is flying to Cuzco and city tour
Day 5 is day trip to ruins around Cuzco
Day 6 is first day of inca trek,
Day 7 is day 2
Day 8 is day 3
Day 9 is macchi picchu and return to Cuzco
Day 10 is checkout and finish tour. Hoping to fly to iaguzo falls after a flight to Lima and then to iaguzu, apparently arriving around 6-7pm.
Day 11. Iaguzu falls with potential afternoon flight to rio.
Day 12 fly to rio or be in rio
Day 13 be in rio
Day 14 rio and an evening flight en route home.

Very busy jam packed 2 weeks.

How reliable is air transport timing wise? Do they cancel flights frequently? Or is it hit and miss.

And how much time to get over jet lag roughly?

I'm still a bit 50:50 on a relatively expensive jam packed adventure or a nice relaxing trip to Hawaii. My time in Hawaii would more than likely be spent at the beach or climbing their mountains/volcanoes.

I would highly, highly recommend you spend a night in Agua Calientes (sp), Macchu Picchu town, rather than go straight back to Cuzco that same day. Going back the same day would be exhausting as fxxx - you'll probs be sick from the tour, mentally and physically drained, and just desperate for a hotel room with a western toilet and a shower/bath. There's a few cool things in AC that are worth checking out - sulfur baths, the flowing river, little markets, etc.

MFKS
05-08-2014, 04:40 PM
I would highly, highly recommend you spend a night in Agua Calientes (sp), Macchu Picchu town, rather than go straight back to Cuzco that same day. Going back the same day would be exhausting as fxxx - you'll probs be sick from the tour, mentally and physically drained, and just desperate for a hotel room with a western toilet and a shower/bath. There's a few cool things in AC that are worth checking out - sulfur baths, the flowing river, little markets, etc.

I agree he seems to have bitten off a fair bit too much. Would seriously look at axeing 1 of the things and doing it at a later date and actually enjoy the other things.

Even Rio I just spent 10 nights there and wish i had longer as i didn't see it all!!!!

Bremsstrahlung
05-08-2014, 05:25 PM

All the G Adventure tours return from Machu Picchu to Cuzco that day. So, if anything it'd be an extra day in Cuzco to recover.
Have asked for an extra few days of leave to ease the load a little, but unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of being able to take 6 weeks leave. The priority is the Inca Trek, the rest is kind of "i'm here, so i might as well see this".

WolfMan
29-12-2014, 05:12 PM
It was amazing. Best thing I've done.
You can't do the trail without being on an organised tour.
They limit the numbers on the trail to try and protect it so it's not something you can leave to that's minute usually.

We went with GAP and they were great, 12 travellers from all over the world, 4 Aussies, 2 Irish, 2 Japanese, a German, a yank and two Canadians..... We saw Gecko groups that were packed with Aussies, we shared a long boat in the amazon with one gecko group, and while I was talking football, beer and daily life with the German and the Japanese bloke in our group, the all Aussie Gecko group were arguing about state of origin....**** me drunk.

Go with GAP.

We did the trail as part of a three week tour, and GAP work by meeting you at the hotel in Lima, and a local guide takes you around the country handing you over to experts in the areas you visit.... And they don't over schedule you, you can ditch the group and do your own thing, so long as you are at breakfast the next morning..... They chuck you in taxi's ride local buses, donkeys etc, not in an air conditioned tourist bus, so you get to feel like your not actually on a tour.

Back on the trail.....

Usually you meet up with your trail guide in Cuzco... Amazing city.... If the football season is on get to to a game, we missed it as we were there between the open and close seasons... Cuzco is the Incan capital, but has a lot of Spanish influence, absolutely beautiful city.

From Cuzco You spend a night in Olantytambo (spelling horrendous) and then get amino-bus to the the start of the trail where you meet your porters who carry all your gear except for your day pack.... Water and chocolate bars mainly...... You walk for about 4 hours then stop for lunch, then walk for another few hours before making camp...... The porters have already passed you on the trail and they set your tent up, cook dinner etc.

Day 1... Pretty easy going, scenery is breathtaking
Day2..... Harder work. You go over "dead woman's pass" highest point on trek. altitude is breath taking, and scenery gobsmacking
Day 3..... Adrenaline gets pumping, views are amazing, trail is mesmerising, last few Klm hurt as there's actually a lot of down hill steps. There's a bar and hot shower at camp that night!
Day 4..... Get up before the sun to get to the sungate and watch the lost city appear out of the clouds..... Breathtaking.

Fitness levels are hard to predict, I managed, and didn't really do any prep, I was 27 and in off season, the altitude particularly going up dead woman's pass slows you down.... We had one bloke turn crook, but he was a heavy smoker, and we had one 65 yr old lady beat us all into camp every night....and she was a heavy smoker too.... Altitude gets people in different measures.... I'd not want to be carry too much extra kegs round the middle though, anything you can trim off before you go has got to help. If your "average fitness" you can do it.

Safety.... We never felt unsafe in Peru, but took the usual precautions 1. Made sure people knew we weren't American, 2. Didn't flash cash, 3. Listened to local guides and avoided 'the wrong side of the tracks'

We loved our Peru trip, we still make Ceviche when we get fresh fish.

We went in jan2008

Somebody else on here picked my brain about the trail a few years ago, I think it was pv4

Hoping to head to Peru around late July/early August. Thinking a 7 day trek to Machu Picchu from Cuzco.

Missus wants to relax on a beach someplace afterwards, so think we'll wind up at Puerto Rico for a few days before flying home.

Any tips would be appreciated. Already started learning Spanish via an iPhone app. Seems to be sticking in the noggin fairly well.

Bremsstrahlung
29-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Hoping to head to Peru around late July/early August. Thinking a 7 day trek to Machu Picchu from Cuzco.

Missus wants to relax on a beach someplace afterwards, so think we'll wind up at Puerto Rico for a few days before flying home.

Any tips would be appreciated. Already started learning Spanish via an iPhone app. Seems to be sticking in the noggin fairly well.

Book trek early. I tried to book about 3 months in advance and all the passes were sold out.

WolfMan
29-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Book trek early. I tried to book about 3 months in advance and all the passes were sold out.

Cheers, will definitely book the trek first. Makes sense too as I'll know exactly when my in/outbound flights will need to be.

GazFish35
29-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Do trek through Gap ....... I think they've changed their name though.

Avoid gecko. Unless you want to drink with bogan Aussies and talk nrl and Afl while ignoring the culture you're travelling to see.

GazFish35
29-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Lol. Just saw you'd seen my post.

My up only tip wold to try and manage a few days at Cuzco before doing the trek to get acclimatised to the altitude.

Coca works to help, but keeps you awake! Sorochi pills from the pharmacy also helped.

Member went to Brazil, he might be bale to recommend a beach

Hawaii on the way home?

MFKS
29-12-2014, 06:42 PM

My up only tip wold to try and manage a few days at Cuzco before doing the trek to get acclimatised to the altitude.

Coca works to help, but keeps you awake! Sorochi pills from the pharmacy also helped.

Hawaii on the way home?

Beaches in Brazil Take your pick!!!

Just go Rio or north of there at the minimum.

Rio was 25-35C everyday in June
Ocean temp was sweet

Down south of Brazil which I got to was a bit cold at that time of year so wouldn't recommend that area for beach activity.

Didn't get that far north of Rio except inland but their is thousands of miles of coast up that way. take your pick
Salvador has a bit of Culture to go with the heat and is well received as a tourist place so would be my initial tip

WolfMan
29-12-2014, 10:23 PM

Hawaii on the way home?

First thought was Hawaii on the way back, but the flights from Cuzco via Lima and Texas are gonna add another $4k for us both. Decided the Caribbean was beachy enough for us, probably do Hawaii on a separate sojourn.

GazFish35
29-12-2014, 10:25 PM
If you're going to the Caribbean (lucky bugger) and want a beach near an airport for ease of transfers, hit up maho beach in St Martin.

WolfMan
29-12-2014, 10:31 PM
If you're going to the Caribbean (lucky bugger) and want a beach near an airport for ease of transfers, hit up maho beach in St Martin.

Thanks for the advice, we are definitely open to suggestions on that front. Nowhere near deciding which island amongst them all we would visit. Have heard good things about every one of them.

MFKS
29-12-2014, 10:34 PM
First thought was Hawaii on the way back, but the flights from Cuzco via Lima and Texas are gonna add another $8k for us both. Decided the Caribbean was beachy enough for us, probably do Hawaii on a separate sojourn.

Tried getting back that way through Panama Mexico Columbia??

Lots of people done that for the WC as it was dirt cheap to get to the USA via alternate stops on the way such as Panama/Mexico/Colombia etc

WolfMan
29-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Tried getting back that way through Panama Mexico Columbia??

Lots of people done that for the WC as it was dirt cheap to get to the USA via alternate stops on the way such as Panama/Mexico/Colombia etc

Have not, and chances are we could find a sale price at some point. I think I've got the other half on board by telling her we'll island hop Hawaii as another trip hopefully 2016

I edited the price down to $4k in the original post, too many numbers going on in the old bonce lately

GazFish35
29-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the advice, we are definitely open to suggestions on that front. Nowhere near deciding which island amongst them all we would visit. Have heard good things about every one of them.

Check out maho beach on YouTube before you do anything!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zD-3pU6nWGQ

WolfMan
29-12-2014, 11:21 PM
OK, well I'm not going there then... lol

evolution
30-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Do trek through Gap ....... I think they've changed their name though.

Avoid gecko. Unless you want to drink with bogan Aussies and talk nrl and Afl while ignoring the culture you're travelling to see.

Yep GAP are now called G Adventures. Did a Central America tour with them in July. Bloody excellent. A few Aussies but also people from England, Ireland, Denmark, Austria, Canada etc

Premy
05-03-2015, 09:38 PM
In need of a little advice/help.

I'm in the early stages of planning a 2016 European trip.
Basically me and the wife want to do Berlin to Munich campervan style, visiting Leipzig, Prague and Salzburg on the way and giving myself 10-12 days for that stretch of the trip.
So that said I just wanted to know if anyone has done something similar, if 10-12days would be long enough and if anyone has any idea on what to expect driving that distance and camping in the van?

After that we'll probably head to Barcelona, Ireland and Edinburgh.
Has anyone traveled directly from Munich to Barcelona? Was thinking train for that stretch.
Any suggestions for Ireland, will only have about 6-8 day's before finishing up in Edinburgh.
Lastly what is likelihood of getting a flight home from Edinburgh? Will I have to fly out of Manchester or Heathrow?

Bon
06-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Basically me and the wife want to do Berlin to Munich campervan style, visiting Leipzig, Prague and Salzburg on the way and giving myself 10-12 days for that stretch of the trip.
So that said I just wanted to know if anyone has done something similar, if 10-12days would be long enough and if anyone has any idea on what to expect driving that distance and camping in the van?

Has anyone traveled directly from Munich to Barcelona? Was thinking train for that stretch.
Any suggestions for Ireland, will only have about 6-8 day's before finishing up in Edinburgh.
Lastly what is likelihood of getting a flight home from Edinburgh? Will I have to fly out of Manchester or Heathrow?

I'll have a chat with you in person, mate..
I'll be back in EU later on this year too..

Jeterpool
06-03-2015, 08:19 AM

Been to Edinburgh and we stayed at a reasonably nice hotel which had a B&B type feel to it and was located next to the train station. It was easy to walk around and if you need to fly out of Manchester you can train it there.

We caught the train from Liverpool to Edinburgh and had to change trains around Leeds (It was a public holiday so there was lots of track work). If not, you could get one straight back to Heathrow and you might find the time for travel is pretty similar. Trains in Europe/UK are really good.

Also stayed in Dublin for 3 days and it was ok. Again, we only had public transport to use. Guinness factory was the highlight.

Premy
06-03-2015, 09:22 AM
I'll have a chat with you in person, mate..
I'll be back in EU later on this year too..

Sounds good mate, pretty stoked actually.
We head off in just over 3 months and the Mrs is already talking about the next one.

BodyNovo
06-03-2015, 09:25 AM
i have no real advice on the travel i.e. train, bus, etc. side of things

but just make sure if you go to Barcelona, you go to opium nightclub.

still recovering from my night there last year

Premy
06-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Been to Edinburgh and we stayed at a reasonably nice hotel which had a B&B type feel to it and was located next to the train station. It was easy to walk around and if you need to fly out of Manchester you can train it there.

We caught the train from Liverpool to Edinburgh and had to change trains around Leeds (It was a public holiday so there was lots of track work). If not, you could get one straight back to Heathrow and you might find the time for travel is pretty similar. Trains in Europe/UK are really good.

Also stayed in Dublin for 3 days and it was ok. Again, we only had public transport to use. Guinness factory was the highlight.
Yeah it will be my 4th trip to the UK so I'm pretty solid on the trains over there was just wondering if I could fly from Edinburgh to Dubai or something like that to fly home with 2 connecting flights or if I had to get 3 connecting flights via somewhere in UK/EU

northern_swan
06-03-2015, 10:44 AM
According to Expedia Etihad is the only mob that will get you there in 2 legs, everyone else requires a third leg. As someone else alluded to, flying out of Manchester or London may work better given they are bigger airports

Skirt Boy
06-03-2015, 11:50 AM

If you are doing that trip make sure you call into Weimar and Erfurt.

Weimar is where I spent the year living in Germany and it's a ****ing nice town. So much history, culture and an intact medieval core with a lot of Nazi and Communist architecture thrown into the mix. And soo many ****ing galleries and musuems it's ****ing nuts.

Erfurt has one of Germanies largest fortresses and the largest medieval alt-stadt in Germany.

Both places are close enough to Leipzig to make the detour ****ing worth it man.

Premy
06-03-2015, 12:04 PM
If you are doing that trip make sure you call into Weimar and Erfurt.

Weimar is where I spent the year living in Germany and it's a ****ing nice town. So much history, culture and an intact medieval core with a lot of Nazi and Communist architecture thrown into the mix. And soo many ****ing galleries and musuems it's ****ing nuts.

Erfurt has one of Germanies largest fortresses and the largest medieval alt-stadt in Germany.

Both places are close enough to Leipzig to make the detour ****ing worth it man.
Sounds awesome will definitely try to fit it in.

I was looking at a Wicked camper type thing, how would I go just pulling up somewhere to sleep the night with the authorities over there?
Is it laid back or will I need to find a camp site each night?

plague
06-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Been to Ireland a few times. Dublin is prob the least Irish to do there. Just spend the night the first day when you get there that's all you really need. I've never enjoyed the place.
Get a car and do a loop around Sth Coast over to Kerry on East Coast then go up through Londonderry to North Coast of Nth Ireland. Coastline is amazing Giants Causeway etc. come back down through Belfast (a quite amazing University city) then back to Dublin to leave. Stay in small towns B&Bs the local pubs are epic. People are amazing beyond words. Up there with the Japanese as best locals.

plague
06-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Gotta do Barca though. Prob most amazing city in Europe. So much to do see eat and drink.
Again, locals are epic.
Planned on going there for 3 days ended up staying a month and only left cause I needed to get a job.
If you're there for a few days take a day trip to Figeures(?) about 2hrs North by train. Dali museum is there pretty interesting place.

BodyNovo
06-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Gotta do Barca though. Prob most amazing city in Europe. So much to do see eat and drink.
Again, locals are epic.
Planned on going there for 3 days ended up staying a month and only left cause I needed to get a job.
If you're there for a few days take a day trip to Figeures(?) about 2hrs North by train. Dali museum is there pretty interesting place.

100%

loved madrid as well.

fav city is probably dubrovnik but

Premy
06-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Cheers.
That's what I had in mind in Ireland, getting of the beaten track an staying in small towns. I've got a few friends in Limerick so I'll be there for a few days, Cork and Blarney Castle are a must but other than that I'm keeping my options open.

I've only heard good things about Barcelona, I'm hoping to get to San Sebastian for a day as well whist in Spain.

plague
06-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Cheers.
That's what I had in mind in Ireland, getting of the beaten track an staying in small towns. I've got a few friends in Limerick so I'll be there for a few days, Cork and Blarney Castle are a must but other than that I'm keeping my options open.

I've only heard good things about Barcelona, I'm hoping to get to San Sebastian for a day as well whist in Spain.

Oh good lawd San Sebastián is not a day.
Legit you will never want to leave. Place is paradise.
I've heard the rest of the North Coast is amazing too but not been right along there.

q-money
06-03-2015, 01:07 PM
croatia buddy

head to split, grab an airbnb, go down the markets and grab some fruit and cheese and sausage, grab some longies of karlovacko and a bag of ice and park your arse on one of the beaches off the mestrovica and wonder why you bothered to live in australia all this time

the blue manc
06-03-2015, 01:33 PM
I'm off to the mentawi Islands in Indonesia in September for twelve day boat trip with nothing but surf , surf and more surf. Best thing is the wife is actually encouraging it.

Skirt Boy
06-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Sounds awesome will definitely try to fit it in.

I was looking at a Wicked camper type thing, how would I go just pulling up somewhere to sleep the night with the authorities over there?
Is it laid back or will I need to find a camp site each night?

I'll speak to some German buddies tonight about it. Germans are pretty anal about such things

This will be your life save though

http://www.mobilisten.de

Premy
06-03-2015, 03:38 PM
croatia buddy

head to split, grab an airbnb, go down the markets and grab some fruit and cheese and sausage, grab some longies of karlovacko and a bag of ice and park your arse on one of the beaches off the mestrovica and wonder why you bothered to live in australia all this time

Heading to Italy and Greece in 4 months, Island hoping in Greece so there will be an abundance of Rakia and Ouzo by the beach.

Premy
06-03-2015, 03:39 PM
I'll speak to some German buddies tonight about it. Germans are pretty anal about such things

This will be your life save though

http://www.mobilisten.de
Cheers mate much appreciated I'll chat to you tonight about it.

goaliepersempre
23-03-2015, 11:29 PM
SWITZERLAND :) and Brugglifeld haha come to aarau... haha always a good guide here (namely myself lol)

pv4
30-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Have any of you guys used airbnb before - either domestically or abroad?

I'm a complete rookie. What are the pros/cons, do's/dont's?

Is there anything more to airbnb's then just booking it, organising pickup keys time, etc? As in can I just treat it as if I'm booking a normal hotel? Or are there things I should know?

Grimario
30-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Have any of you guys used airbnb before - either domestically or abroad?

I'm a complete rookie. What are the pros/cons, do's/dont's?

Is there anything more to airbnb's then just booking it, organising pickup keys time, etc? As in can I just treat it as if I'm booking a normal hotel? Or are there things I should know?

I've used it a few times when travelling for DG. Had absolutely no issues. The only downside is you don't get room fairies coming in and giving you brand new towels every day and making your bed. On the upside, full kitchens, shitloads cheaper (usually), literally all the comforts of home.

leftrightout
17-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Hey guys, looking for some suggestions for a little getaway with the mrs and young one. Really only want to travel a few hours tops and just want somewhere nice and quiet to chill out. Anyone have any secret spots that are willing to share?

The Dunster
17-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Hey guys, looking for some suggestions for a little getaway with the mrs and young one. Really only want to travel a few hours tops and just want somewhere nice and quiet to chill out. Anyone have any secret spots that are willing to share?

Ebor Falls

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255315-d2009005-r170051085-Waterfall_Way-Armidale_New_South_Wales.html

MFKS
17-09-2015, 11:32 AM
What type of accommodation you after

Caravan Tent Hotel Unit ??

Really depends what you and the family are prepared to do.

No place recommending a place that not fit into your acceptable accommodation desires

leftrightout
17-09-2015, 11:34 AM
What type of accommodation you after

Caravan Tent Hotel Unit ??

Really depends what you and the family are prepared to do.

No place recommending a place that not fit into your acceptable accommodation desires

Probably not tent or caravan... probably more looking at holiday rental houses, AIRBNB, Stayz etc.

leftrightout
17-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Ebor Falls

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255315-d2009005-r170051085-Waterfall_Way-Armidale_New_South_Wales.html

wow what a beautiful place, i have never heard of it!
Thanks, will put it on the list!

The Dunster
17-09-2015, 12:03 PM
wow what a beautiful place, i have never heard of it!
Thanks, will put it on the list!

I was on the gas last time I went there and didn't realise it is 5hrs from Newcastle so Might be a little too far.

Alternatively, if you can avoid school holidays Port Macquarie is a nice spot.
Excellent accomodation at the Beachcomber Resort.

http://www.beachcomberresort.com.au/

leftrightout
17-09-2015, 12:15 PM
I was on the gas last time I went there and didn't realise it is 5hrs from Newcastle so Might be a little too far.

Alternatively, if you can avoid school holidays Port Macquarie is a nice spot.
Excellent accomodation at the Beachcomber Resort.

http://www.beachcomberresort.com.au/

Yeah will be out of school holidays, kids not school age yet so avoiding those holidays for now!

Cheers for the tips though, much appreciated!

Jeterpool
17-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Just got back from a few days in Forster. The little bloke (1 yr old) lasted well in the car, just under 2 hours and the baths were good for him to have a splash and a paddle in. Plenty of accommodation along the front of the beach and the main St was a short walk.

evolution
23-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Heading over to the States next year for Wrestlemania 32, which is at the massive 100,000 or so capacity stadium that the Dallas Cowboys play at. And I figure if I'm going all the way over there I may as well cram as much sport in as I can, so as well as Dallas I'm going to check out Los Angeles and San Francisco for a few days each. I have basketball (Lakers v Heat aww yis), ice hockey and baseball lined up. MLS should be on as well then so may even squeeze that in.

Booked my flights this week and most of my accommodation is sorted, just need to play the waiting game now for the tickets to everything to go on sale.

WolfMan
24-09-2015, 08:34 AM
RE: baseball. Go to AT&T Park in San Fran.

Never been personally, but everyone that has says it's gorgeous.

evolution
24-09-2015, 09:26 AM
RE: baseball. Go to AT&T Park in San Fran.

Never been personally, but everyone that has says it's gorgeous.

That's the plan! Will be there for opening day against the LA Dodgers so it should be a pretty big game.

Bremsstrahlung
24-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Can confirm AT&T is great!
Amazing venue. The stadium tour is really good as well. Take you through the sheds, dugouts, home base, worth a look at the mini baseball zone, on the far side.
If you don't wanna do the tour, if you go around the back, (near the scoreboard) there's some stairs with security, it's free access to go up to the deck where there's a play equipment for kids and a mini baseball field and a pretty awesome view of the stadium.
On game day they open up lower viewing decks, and they let people in for free for 3 innings.

Also worth a visit in San Fran:
Lombard street
Obviously golden gate, hire a bike go for a ride. There's a big temple esque structure that's worth a look.
Alcatraz - book early. Book the earliest tour. You can stay as long as you like, so the earlier you go the better.
Fishermans wharf - clam chowder
Cheesecake Factory opposite Union square - great views
NFL? - there's the 49ers, or i went over to Oakland (about a 20 minute train ride) to see the Raiders play. Idk about 49ers but Raiders Colisseum is pumping on game day. Thousands of people tailgating in the carpark. Very stereotypical.

Word of advice with Lakers/hockey/NFL if at STAPLES they won't allow video recorders/gopro and are supposed to prohibit professional cameras. Had a lengthy "discussion" with the steward regarding the matter and how ridiculous it was. They check bags and you walk through metal detectors and the NFL has bag restrictions.

PC14
24-09-2015, 01:30 PM
That's the plan! Will be there for opening day against the LA Dodgers so it should be a pretty big game.

Go Dodgers!!!

Baseball - The homebrand sport of the US. And that is not meant to be an insult. Such a cheap day/night out considering the prices of the other major sports in the country.

q-money
24-09-2015, 01:43 PM
baseball is killer fun, always make time to visit a few games when i'm in the states

evolution
24-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Go Dodgers!!!

Baseball - The homebrand sport of the US. And that is not meant to be an insult. Such a cheap day/night out considering the prices of the other major sports in the country.

Yeah you're not wrong! I went to a game at Yankees Stadium many years ago and paid US$17 to sit in the bleachers, had a blast as well. I just bought my ticket for the Lakers v Heat game and it's setting me back well over $200... damn that exchange rate hey?

Bon
20-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Anyone been to the Philippines??
Heading over there to Bataan in July for a best mates wedding and wondering if anyone had any "must-do's" while there, or places to stop on the way over/back..

Was reading that its apparently legal for them to shoot you if they suspect you are a drug dealer/druggo.. Pretty happy I've cut off the dreadlocks now.. :thumbsup:

q-money
20-04-2017, 02:45 PM
baseball is killer fun, always make time to visit a few games when i'm in the states

if you're in Korea any time soon hit up the baseball for sure. 1 litre beers in a plastic bottle, fried chicken stalls behind every stand, k-pop cheerleaders in tiny shorts bending over in front of you *dong*

Grimario
20-04-2017, 02:46 PM
I've been there for a work a bunch of times. Only based in Manila and stuff within driving distance so experience isn't huge but would definitely recommend a day at Intramuros and would recommend the horse drawn cart tour. Don't buy a shitty hat, shitty sunglasses or handmade flappy bird thing outside Manila Cathedral. Complete opposite direction from where you are in Bataan but south of Manila there's a town called Tagaytay that is an awesome day trip as well. Stop in at People's Park in the Sky, the abandon Imelda Marcos mansion on Mount Gonzales near Tagaytay.
Just asked Manila based co-worker... they recommend doing something in Subic Bay or going to a WW2 museum in Bataan

Don't underestimate travel times while you are there either. The main office I worked from last time I was there was only 25km or so from hotel but a solid 90 minute trip.

skippy
20-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Anyone been to the Philippines??
Heading over there to Bataan in July for a best mates wedding and wondering if anyone had any "must-do's" while there, or places to stop on the way over/back..

Was reading that its apparently legal for them to shoot you if they suspect you are a drug dealer/druggo.. Pretty happy I've cut off the dreadlocks now.. :thumbsup:

Had a week in Boracay last year, will definitely head back have had some friends recommend Palawan, Cebu there is tonnes of places depending on what your interests are.

The Dunster
20-04-2017, 02:56 PM
if you're in Korea any time soon hit up the baseball for sure. 1 litre beers in a plastic bottle, fried chicken stalls behind every stand, k-pop cheerleaders in tiny shorts bending over in front of you *dong*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c14CnkdSc34

:whistling:

goaliepersempre
17-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Back from a great week in Sweden :) :) :)

but if you guys are ever over here, never travel with Air Berlin... Bunch of ****ing ****s..... both flights heading there and coming home, plus lost our baggage. Zero service or information...

But mondays sure do suck after a holiday.

24-10-2017, 01:41 AM
Once you get to Europe, the flights around the EU are pretty cheap apparently.

MFKS
24-10-2017, 05:43 AM
Back from a great week in Sweden :) :) :)

but if you guys are ever over here, never travel with Air Berlin... Bunch of ****ing ****s..... both flights heading there and coming home, plus lost our baggage. Zero service or information...

But mondays sure do suck after a holiday.

Air Berlin are they a budget carrier like Jetstar or a full fare one like Qantas??

evolution
24-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Air Berlin are they a budget carrier like Jetstar or a full fare one like Qantas??

Never flown them but they are going belly up, declared insolvency and their last flight is on October 27.

The Dunster
24-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Never flown them but they are going belly up, declared insolvency and their last flight is on October 27.

Once Etihad pulled the pin on investing with them it was only a matter of time.

Grimario
24-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Not quite the globe trotting travel you lot are all up to but just had an awesome weekend in Dubbo. Up there for disc golf but took an extra day off to do the zoo. Forgot how fantastic that place is. Been 25+ years since I visited.

belchardo
24-10-2017, 12:41 PM

and one of the pilots buzzed the tower top gun style :gent:

goaliepersempre
24-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Yeah they where a budget airline, but notoriously delayed and problems. Poor model.

Europe best option is Easyjet. They have come a long way from the early days. Now they have such a big market. Are the leaders for cheap (but still somewhat reliable flights)

Jetmaster
27-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Yeah they where a budget airline, but notoriously delayed and problems. Poor model.

Europe best option is Easyjet. They have come a long way from the early days. Now they have such a big market. Are the leaders for cheap (but still somewhat reliable flights)

Thumbs up for Easyjet - flew them from Paris to Manchester a few years back. No problems, comfortable seats that made Shitstar look like the train to Dungog and classy cabin crew.

goaliepersempre
27-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Those international fly out days... Yeww cant wait for this evening...

MFKS
27-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Those international fly out days... Yeww cant wait for this evening...

Yeah 3 more weeks until my next trip

Off to Honkers

Shenzhen right near by

Any messages required for Ledman??

evolution
14-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Off to Japan in a few weeks, my first time to the land of the rising sun. Any tips on what I need to see/do there? Visiting Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. Looking at day trip down to Hiroshima as well, only 1.5 hours on the train from Kyoto.

Also have tickets to Gamba Osaka vs Kashiwa Reysol which should be great.

q-money
14-02-2018, 10:54 AM
have you got a japan rail pass mate?

unbelievably good value, pays for itself after about 2 trips.

in kyoto - after you've done all the temples and shit, go to kyoto ramen street on the top floor of the Isetan department store before you get back on the train, farken killer

defo go to hiroshima - the a-bomb museum is depressing as hell but it's an amazing city, the food is off the chain. go to miyajima while you're there - see some deer and shit.

few restaurants i always go to when there:

en shinjuku ten: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g1066457-d1677425-Reviews-En_Shinjuku_ten-Shinjuku_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

shinjuku ramen tomiya: just near the station, place rips, the chick is heaps hot too: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g1066457-d1686470-Reviews-Ramen_Tomiya-Shinjuku_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

there's a video darts place down the road called "darts up". video darts slaps, the greatest booze sport in the world

if you get to fukuoka, this place is mad: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g298207-d1663871-r251403972-Yakitorinohachibee-Fukuoka_Fukuoka_Prefecture_Kyushu_Okinawa.html

try and get to korakuen hall for an NJPW event if you can

evolution
14-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Cheers mate, those are some great tips!

have you got a japan rail pass mate?

unbelievably good value, pays for itself after about 2 trips.

Yeah have a 7 day rail pass, doing the trains as much as I can.

try and get to korakuen hall for an NJPW event if you can

Would be awesome to catch an NJPW event, this (https://www.njpw1972.com/tornament/18122) is happening my last night in Tokyo. I'm a huge wrestling fan but can't say the same for my girlfriend... :sigh:

q-money
14-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Would be awesome to catch an NJPW event, this (https://www.njpw1972.com/tornament/18122) is happening my last night in Tokyo. I'm a huge wrestling fan but can't say the same for my girlfriend... :sigh:

she'll enjoy it even if she's not a fan, it's a ripper night out.

"a cultural experience"

plague
14-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Q-man is bang on the money there.
Japan is a beautiful country.
Hiroshima is a must do, and if you can get over to miyajima then it’s well worth it.

Don’t bother trying to see Fuji-san unless it is a crystal clear day. Save your legs.

Osaka is legit one of the all time nights out. The canal area for a feed and drinks on a Saturday night is legit amazing. Plague Jnr watching a sing off across the canal between 2 all girl pop groups was something to behold.

If there’s baseball on get to a game. A great night out even if you aren’t a fan of the game.

Best bit about the country is the people. Talk to the locals, flash them a smile and if you need help they will do their darndest to help. The old folk don’t know much English but most peeps under 25 is pretty good.

Also, never ever ever even try and eat western, the local food everywhere is delicious.

Oh and take plenty of cash or access to cash. Not many places take credit card.

God damn I’m so jealous right now. If the Jets make ACL and draw a Japanese team in first one on the plane.

Enjoy the trip.

plague
14-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Oh and Ueno is perfect for a feed and walk around in Tokyo, the zoo in Ueno is epic (PANDAS!!!!!!) and if someone tells you to go to shinigawa or roppongi Hills they are not your friend.

q-money
14-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Oh and take plenty of cash or access to cash. Not many places take credit card.
7/11 is the best place to get cash out, pretty much all of them have international ATMs

ING direct only charge 2.50 for an international ATM withdrawal. if you use the card for purchases overseas it charges you 2.5% though - so yeah, cash is king

evolution
14-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Thanks for that plague! Baseball schedule doesn't look favorable unfortunately, have seen a couple of games in the States (Giants vs Dodgers on Opening Day two years ago was amazing) so would have been cool to see how it compares.

Miyajima is definitely on the cards!

If the Jets make ACL and draw a Japanese team in first one on the plane. .

Funny thing is while I'm in Tokyo Sydney FC are playing there against Kashima Antlers. Thought it would be a good opportunity to go see the smurfs get a flogging but apparently getting from Tokyo out to Kashima is absolute hell so going to give that a miss.

But yeah if this trip goes well and the Jets are there next year I might have to be in on that.

parksey
14-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Yeah i was over there last year and loved it.

Agree with everything the guys have said. Definitely see Miyajima if you can, it was probably my favourite place apart from Osaka.

Otherwise Nara is good for a bit of wildlife and culture. Not far from Kyoto or Osaka on the train.

How long are you going for? I was there for 2 weeks but wish it was longer. I barely scratched the surface.

evolution
15-02-2018, 08:55 AM
How long are you going for? I was there for 2 weeks but wish it was longer. I barely scratched the surface.

There for 12 days - 6 in Tokyo, 3 in Kyoto and 3 in Osaka.

Grimario
24-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Off to Singapore and Koh Samui for three weeks.

Member, got any tips?

MFKS
26-01-2019, 01:20 AM
Off to Singapore and Koh Samui for three weeks.

Member, got any tips?

Singapore is dear as poison GTFO ASAP

As for Thailand

Dont fight the locals or get into an argument Walk away They fight 30 on 1

Learn a couple of phrases of Thai
It convinces the locals you smarter than the average farang

Eat the local food it is fantastic

When the ladyboys approach you if ypu not intetested just smile and endure their harassment

As for the local women Do Not trust any of them

You are a man
Lead the way FFS

Grimario
26-01-2019, 05:29 PM
I'm in Singapore for a disc golf tournament and catching up with some friends who moved there from Sydney, so should be pretty relaxed. Only plan is a possible trip to the zoo on one of my free days.

Koh Samui should hopefully be a shit load different to mainland.

MFKS
26-01-2019, 05:53 PM
I'm in Singapore for a disc golf tournament and catching up with some friends who moved there from Sydney, so should be pretty relaxed. Only plan is a possible trip to the zoo on one of my free days.

Koh Samui should hopefully be a shit load different to mainland.

Not been to Samui

Have a mate who raves about it but I not convinced

Currently in a Bkk RnT as we speak

Off to Phuket in a few days time

Not that I rate that either

It a shithole of Bogan trash these days but Samui is a little higher up in my eyes

There are hundred or so islands off the coast in the Bay of Thailand

Samui and Phuket are the 2 least interesting to visit in my eyes

MFKS
26-01-2019, 05:57 PM
As for your phrases

Pom Dong Jai Towroy Cup

How much do I pay

That one ****s the locals as Few tourists bother with it

Hong Naam You Tee Nai Cup

Where is the toilet

That enough to get you out of shit

Grimario
26-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Samui has two disc golf tournaments, again the primary reason for the visit.

plague
26-01-2019, 06:20 PM
Bugger, Grim, I'm in Singapore in 10 days time for a week.
Would have loved to catch that disc golf comp.

Jetmaster
26-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed Singapore....best zoo I've been too. Yes, booze is expensive once the add all the taxes, especially around Clarke Quay. Offset by the cheap eats you can get if you look.
Not all about money when you are on hols....I threw away plenty.

baldrick
26-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Singapore is awesome. The Gardens by the Bay lightshow is outstanding;and how good is the metro !

And super safe..

I’d love to go to the F1 GP there.

skippy
03-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Planning a camping road trip up to Yeppoon with the misso for about 3 weeks total.

Any recommendations on places to stop/stay/things to do?

Bon
11-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Planning a camping road trip up to Yeppoon with the misso for about 3 weeks total.

Any recommendations on places to stop/stay/things to do?

I just took the last week off work and did something similar with the Mrs, although we took the week to go to Brisbane and back for a gig..
Pretty much just drove and pulled in to any random town/place we had never been..

Found a beautiful spot at Illaroo (near Minnie Water, east of Grafton).. Basically camping among the banksia's and pandanus trees, right on the beach.. Couple of overly familiar goannas getting about there though, hassled the Handbrake for her peanut butter toast..
Other than that, we pretty hit up Harrington, Illaroo, Lennox Head, Brisbane, then came back through Iluka (North side of Yamba inlet) and Crescent Head..

Grimario
11-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Back to Thailand today. No luck on the work front so going back to uni in May so seems like a good reason to head back for a few months. Probably do a quick trip to Busan in the middle and catch up with some friends/refresh the visa.

Bon
11-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Back to Thailand today. No luck on the work front so going back to uni in May so seems like a good reason to head back for a few months. Probably do a quick trip to Busan in the middle and catch up with some friends/refresh the visa.

Is the Membah taking you round for a tour of his stomping grounds?

Grimario
11-03-2019, 01:21 PM
I don't think he's ever been to Koh Samui so I'll give him the tour of he swings by. Mae Nam and Laem Sor are the hot spots for disc golf.

Chaweng is more members scene.

plague
11-03-2019, 03:21 PM
went to Singapore a few weeks back with the family. top place, really blown away how enjoyable it was.
leading up most people were either "its too damn hot" or "its too damn expensive".

the heat part was sort of correct, but if you get your business done early morning then hit the pool for the middle of the day. then get back out amongst it for the arvo/night you didnt suffer.

wasnt expensive at all, in fact we ate like kings for bugger all. just got to get to the hawker joints. we found a heap dotted around the place and ate most meals for under $5 plate. throw in some tinnies for the same price and life was good.
just stay away from the tacky westernised restaurants (esp Clarke Quay). absolute sucker move.
public transport is cheap as chips, and as you would expect, efficient as all heck.
people are cool, even the hawker joint full of my new muslim friends that saw me looking around for the beer seller and politely had a word that its not their thing (but their food was insane).

def going to look into an F1 event there, def seems like its worth the effort.

would recommend to anyone.

will def be going back.

MFKS
11-03-2019, 04:03 PM
went to Singapore a few weeks back with the family. top place, really blown away how enjoyable it was.
leading up most people were either "its too damn hot" or "its too damn expensive".

the heat part was sort of correct, but if you get your business done early morning then hit the pool for the middle of the day. then get back out amongst it for the arvo/night you didnt suffer.

wasnt expensive at all, in fact we ate like kings for bugger all. just got to get to the hawker joints. we found a heap dotted around the place and ate most meals for under $5 plate. throw in some tinnies for the same price and life was good.
just stay away from the tacky westernised restaurants (esp Clarke Quay). absolute sucker move.
public transport is cheap as chips, and as you would expect, efficient as all heck.
people are cool, even the hawker joint full of my new muslim friends that saw me looking around for the beer seller and politely had a word that its not their thing (but their food was insane).

def going to look into an F1 event there, def seems like its worth the effort.

would recommend to anyone.

will def be going back.

The heat in SE Asia isnt an issue

Plenty of things to do during the heat of the day without being in the sun
No different to the concept in Oz where people go to shopping centres etc on hot days to avoid the weather outside or at home

The $200 a night hotels to me are the biggest put off for Singapore
Street food and all that stuff you said about avoiding foreign restaurants is the way to live like a king

KL is just as effective it sounds as Singapore except they have $50 a night hotels

Jetmaster
11-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Loved Singapore....only getting a beer at Clarke Quay was a shock to the system. Ain't Bali, but it ain't the rort Sydney is either.

MFKS
11-03-2019, 09:18 PM
Loved Singapore....only getting a beer at Clarke Quay was a shock to the system. Ain't Bali, but it ain't the rort Sydney is either.

What was the shock with the beer??

KL beer was expensive as all ****
Being a Muslim country the hypocrites still sold it but taxed it excessively

Think i paid about $15 for a ****ing Heineken

plague
11-03-2019, 09:26 PM
The $200 a night hotels to me are the biggest put off for Singapore

$200? you staying out in the boonies?

you want your man Plague to sleep in a ****ing tent or something?

plague
11-03-2019, 09:27 PM

i knew you had issues big man, but legit, Heineken? the **** is wrong with you?

MFKS
11-03-2019, 10:28 PM
i knew you had issues big man, but legit, Heineken? the **** is wrong with you?

Where I was there wasnt an array of selection

It was what was available or nothing

Buddha
12-03-2019, 09:28 PM
What was the shock with the beer??

KL beer was expensive as all ****
Being a Muslim country the hypocrites still sold it but taxed it excessively

Dunno where you went but I was paying about 15 bucks for a bucket of beer everywhere in Malaysia including KL.

Highly recommend going to Penang when in Malaysia. Stay along Batu Ferringhi somewhere and check out the markets etc. Georgetown also good. Hong Kong Bar very famous among Aussie expats (mainly ADF personnel)

furns
13-03-2019, 11:22 PM
Am going on a 11 day south pacific cruise on Carnival at end of the month, just wondering if anyone has done similar? Any ideas how much money to take?
Im thinking my main expenses are going to be alcohol and the on board casino

furns
23-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Has anyone else had issues posting in this thread lately? Im seeing whether this test message will post and if any errors come up.
Ive run a few repair routines on the foz to see if that fixes the problem and it appears this message has posted.

If anyone tries to post up something in this thread and gets an error, please let me know the error message via PM

:thumbsup:

Bremsstrahlung
23-03-2019, 04:50 PM
Just got back from 2 weeks in Japan. Wasn’t really that keen on heading there originally, but was pleasantly surprised. Great people, very helpful and their rail networks make getting around an absolute breeze.

furns
23-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Leaving for Carnival cruise on wed with wifey & 2 kids in an upgraded cabin. Hoping that the $600 cruise credit and $2k will be enough
Im planning on doing quite a bit of drinking :lulz:

furns
11-04-2019, 09:22 PM
update: came back on Sunday from the 11 day Carnival South Pacific cruise. Enjoyed, missus not so much due to seasickness.
Oh and some unfortunate young bloke jumped overboard during the third night before we hit Noumea. Went back to search a few hours later, unsuccessful. Bit of a downer :(

Jeterpool
16-04-2019, 01:12 PM
Funny sort of day today. Almost 10 years to the day we were at Notre Dame Cathedral. We didn't go in because the crowds were horrendous, thinking we could one day come back and see it.

Credit to those fire fighters who managed to save what they have.

skippy
20-04-2019, 09:58 AM
He was a newy guy, one of mates works with him and received a phone call from the guys missus on the cruise, horrible stuff.

Bon
18-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Anyone been to Fiji?
Flying out there tomorrow, for a week..
Haven't done ANY research in to it as I'd like to be pleasantly surprised on arrival (and not have any pre-conceived notions or expectations)..
However, I also don't want to miss out on something that someone would say is a "must do"..

sammydog
18-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Where in Fiji are yolu going?

Bon
18-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Where in Fiji are yolu going?

Denarau Island, Nadi...
The original plan was day-drinking and slothing on the beach/around the pool..

evolution
18-09-2019, 12:24 PM
The original plan was day-drinking and slothing on the beach/around the pool..

Pretty much exactly what I did for the entire time I was in Denarau haha.

I'd say do a day trip out to one of the islands (Mana, Castaway, Tivua etc.) and also the Sigatoka River Safari which was a good day out (jet boat, visit a village, drink kava).