PDA

View Full Version : Computer nerds..

Bon
13-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I am a confused noob at the moment..
Basically I am going overseas in 3 weeks time, and am looking to get either a laptop or tablet for my travels..
All I need it for, is to get wi-fi, facey/emails, entertainment while flying (eg movies, books, music), backup to keep photos and things on..
I don't need any insane machine to play ground-breaking games on or anything, the cheaper the better.. Looking for decent battery life too..

Not sure if anyone can recommend anything, but I've been to a few places and they have all heavily recommended the exact opposite of each other.. ("Oh you definitely want this tablet"... "No, you definitely want this laptop".. etc..)

q-money
13-05-2013, 01:08 PM
I am a confused noob at the moment..
Basically I am going overseas in 3 weeks time, and am looking to get either a laptop or tablet for my travels..
All I need it for, is to get wi-fi, facey/emails, entertainment while flying (eg movies, books, music), backup to keep photos and things on..
I don't need any insane machine to play ground-breaking games on or anything, the cheaper the better.. Looking for decent battery life too..

Not sure if anyone can recommend anything, but I've been to a few places and they have all heavily recommended the exact opposite of each other.. ("Oh you definitely want this tablet"... "No, you definitely want this laptop".. etc..)

i have a google nexus 10 at the moment, but travelled to europe last year with an ipad and it is invaluable - so much easier than trying to find an internet cafe etc for booking tickets, hotels and shit

i would recommend the nexus over the ipad as you can drag and drop stuff straight to it i.e. movies, music, photos - unlike the ipad where you are stuck using all the iOS software and have to buy everything through itunes

so yer, go the nexus 10 imo - i think kogan do it for $450 - $100 bucks cheaper than an ipad 3 and infinitely more usable if you are a PC kind of dude

get a laptop when you come back, carrying a computer on holiday is a pain in the arse

pv4
13-05-2013, 01:17 PM
the mrs bought an ipad a couple of years ago & it sounds like it would do everything you're after.

i've been using an iphone for the last 4 years & have very recently moved to a samsung galaxy s4, and i'm already finding it's a tonne easier to use & just better in general. i'm assuming a google-style tablet would also shit all over a mac-style one too, so reading what q has to say doesn't surprise me at all.

the only reason i can think of you'd want a laptop is they may be easier to rest on your lap (derr) if you're travelling on planes & crap, as opposed to a tablet which you'd have to bend your legs to rest it, or just hold it with your hands (maybe a decent case that folds into "stands" could do the trick though), and also a laptop would have a keyboard (but by the sounds of it, you won't be doing a tonne of typing anyway).

i'd go a tablet, i'd buy it asap & familiarize yourself with it as much as you can before you head away too.

Bon
13-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Cheers boys..

The only issue that I have with a tablet, is the lack of keyboard for typing (which I plan to do a bit of email writing, and was even contemplating keeping a bit of a journal of the trip - which I have done before, and would be much more likely to do if I was typing, as opposed to physically writing shit down.. hahaha).. Also the restrictions of space on a tablet, not a huge amount of storage unless you get an external harddrive.. But then the external harddrive will root your battery life too, won't it?..

Being 6'8", I get well acquainted with the taste of my knees when I'm on these sort of long flights, so I think im pretty screwed for comfort and lap space either way..
I definitely want to stay away from anything Mac related.. I have enough issues trying to sync my iPod classic up.. iTunes is my mortal enemy.. haha

Jeterpool
13-05-2013, 01:30 PM
i have a google nexus 10 at the moment, but travelled to europe last year with an ipad and it is invaluable - so much easier than trying to find an internet cafe etc for booking tickets, hotels and shit

i would recommend the nexus over the ipad as you can drag and drop stuff straight to it i.e. movies, music, photos - unlike the ipad where you are stuck using all the iOS software and have to buy everything through itunes

so yer, go the nexus 10 imo - i think kogan do it for $450 - $100 bucks cheaper than an ipad 3 and infinitely more usable if you are a PC kind of dude

get a laptop when you come back, carrying a computer on holiday is a pain in the arse

Files can be played using VLC app on ipad

toad
13-05-2013, 01:45 PM
The only issue that I have with a tablet, is the lack of keyboard for typing (which I plan to do a bit of email writing, and was even contemplating keeping a bit of a journal of the trip - which I have done before, and would be much more likely to do if I was typing, as opposed to physically writing shit down.. hahaha).. Also the restrictions of space on a tablet, not a huge amount of storage unless you get an external harddrive.. But then the external harddrive will root your battery life too, won't it

not sure exactly how much space you need, but you can get 128gb flash drives pretty cheaply these days, would be a nice upgrade to a 16 or 32 gb tablet. also if you're worried about a keyboard, you could buy a small usb one and keep it in your suitcase/hotel, and just use the software keyboard when you're out and about.

i think in terms of size/weight/ruggedness, tablets are a fair bit better than laptops.

pv4
13-05-2013, 01:59 PM
yeah a detachable keyboard would be for sale for most tablets, you'd imagine.

i know with my galaxy phone it has 16gb storage, but you can also put a micro sd card in it for more storage also (size restrictions i'm not sure of yet). i'd imagine there'd be a tablet that you could do similar to, and i assume you could solve a lot of space issues that way?

i'm there with you on the comfort-free travelling mate. i try as much as possible to get the emergency exit seats so there's no seats in front of me when i fly :rof:

Jeterpool
20-03-2014, 07:40 PM
All, long time reader, first time poster.

Got a problem with a USB flash. I was saving some photos and videos from my iphone onto my 8gb USB flash drive when windows locked up and I had to reboot the computer. It "hung" while copying a video file

Since then I have tried to access it but it wont register with windows. It quickly flashes up and then disappears. I have been through device manager on windows 7 and the driver is up to date. I tried it on another PC with an older windows (XP) and its the same. I looked in device manager and it came up Code 10 but searching this and the fixes gave me no result.

Any tips on how I can recover some files (like the Jets stats stuff) off it??

Much appreciated.

Jeterpool

hawk
20-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Ggl search gives this. I'd try some other pcs first.

a. Open Device Manager.
Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.* If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

b. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section by clicking on the "+" sign.

c. Uninstall each of the devices under the USB Controller section by right-clicking on each one, and then clicking Uninstall.

d. Close the Device Manager and restart your computer. Windows will automatically re-install the USB controllers in your computer, without you having to do anything further. Your computer will now run USB devices properly.

weston
23-09-2014, 07:03 PM

Anyone know what these "ads" are at the bottom of my screen? Its annoying the hell out of me and my computer is about to have flying lessons out the window. They open up every time a new page is opened. Is it a virus? If so how do i kill it??

Imyourhero
23-09-2014, 07:40 PM
When did they start appearing? Go into your control panel, open up programs and features and select onwards from the day they started appearing and see if any unknown programs etc have been added

furns
23-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Will be either malware or aware. Update your AV software and run it, download an ad blocker for your browser.

weston
23-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Started popping up yesterday. Hadn't used computer for roughly a week before than. I'll jump on tomorrow and have a look.

furns
23-09-2014, 07:58 PM
And you may have had bloatware installed when you installed a different program. As mentioned, go into add/remove programs and uninstall suspicious programs.

Grimario
23-09-2014, 08:00 PM
The Fappening Part 2
+
weston gets a virus

=4?

MFKS
23-09-2014, 08:44 PM

Anyone know what these "ads" are at the bottom of my screen? Its annoying the hell out of me and my computer is about to have flying lessons out the window. They open up every time a new page is opened. Is it a virus? If so how do i kill it??

As the other posters have said delete programs run adware programs virus scan etc.

You have definitely picked some shit up you don't want. May also want to note where you have been recently as you do not want to get it back accidently by going to the same place after fixing your PC up

If you have no shit of note photos files etc a simple Format of Windows will also fix it but thats a last resort.

I tend to try and keep my files of note off the PC that way in under an hour a reformat can fix a hell of a lot of issues quickly if needed

Shayne
24-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Get Ad Block for chrome.. Free add-in.

To remove the spam.. Get Malware bytes and run a scan, completely free and has a 99% success rate with removing shit like this. We use it at work because its free ware and does the job better than some paid AV.. (Note, Virus and Spyware are slightly different, so you need protection for both as most AV won't protect from spyware). If you had ad block in chrome, chances are you wouldn't have clicked on the link that infected your computer anyways..

Good luck :)

Jeterpool
04-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Need some Internet help from my Kotara and surrounding suburbs friends.

I'm currently with Exetel and have been for about 6 years. I've noticed over the last while the internet speed is really down. Now, I've hard wired my house and conducted speed tests and I am getting 0.36mbps which isn't good. When I did those tests I removed all wireless devices and only had the PC on. I've also hard reset my modem to see if that is the issue. My online gaming and VOIP is starting to be affected.

I know the lines in Kotara aren't great, but a neighbour is with Internode and getting 4mbps.

My modem is new but I still subbed it out without solving the issue. I have a landline attached to a separate port in the house with a filter. I don't have a filter on the incoming line but when I did place one on there it made minimal difference. There's no crackle in my phone line. It's quality hasn't changed.

Can anyone give me some advice?

When I previously had this issue at my other house, Exetel "rebuilt" my port and it fixed it. The timing is poor to request this because they've reported an outage. Is this something I can request?

Can anyone in Kotara or surrounds provide feedback on their ADSL2 ISP and whether they've been good or bad?

I really don't want to call Telstra to come out and have a look at my lines.

The Dunster
04-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Need some Internet help from my Kotara and surrounding suburbs friends.

I'm currently with Exetel and have been for about 6 years. I've noticed over the last while the internet speed is really down. Now, I've hard wired my house and conducted speed tests and I am getting 0.36mbps which isn't good. When I did those tests I removed all wireless devices and only had the PC on. I've also hard reset my modem to see if that is the issue. My online gaming and VOIP is starting to be affected.

I know the lines in Kotara aren't great, but a neighbour is with Internode and getting 4mbps.

My modem is new but I still subbed it out without solving the issue. I have a landline attached to a separate port in the house with a filter. I don't have a filter on the incoming line but when I did place one on there it made minimal difference. There's no crackle in my phone line. It's quality hasn't changed.

Can anyone give me some advice?

When I previously had this issue at my other house, Exetel "rebuilt" my port and it fixed it. The timing is poor to request this because they've reported an outage. Is this something I can request?

Can anyone in Kotara or surrounds provide feedback on their ADSL2 ISP and whether they've been good or bad?

I really don't want to call Telstra to come out and have a look at my lines.

Have you tried the connection with another computer ? Have you checked you computer for malware / spyware which might be chewing up your bandwidth ?

Jeterpool
04-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Not yet.

I did manage to get onto the ISP and they said there was a problem with my connection so they told me to unplug the modem and phone from the ports and they reset it at their end.

Since then the speed test is coming back at 6mbps. It seems to have solved it...for now. Norton's didn't detect anything in a scan I just did and the firewall settings appear ok.

Appreciate the response, Dunster.

hawk
05-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Not yet.

I did manage to get onto the ISP and they said there was a problem with my connection so they told me to unplug the modem and phone from the ports and they reset it at their end.

Since then the speed test is coming back at 6mbps. It seems to have solved it...for now. Norton's didn't detect anything in a scan I just did and the firewall settings appear ok.

Appreciate the response, Dunster.

Hey Jitterpool, how's the misses, i mean connection? Wheres your nearest exchange?

Jeterpool
27-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Computer people.

NBN is about to launch in my area and I am looking for an ISP. I am wanting to go with a 25mbps package, Fibre to the Node.

Who do people use and had good/bad experiences? Anyone gone with any new start ups?

I'm currently with Exetel but I am looking at Communicate Mate as one option.

Thanks

Grimario
27-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Computer people.

NBN is about to launch in my area and I am looking for an ISP. I am wanting to go with a 25mbps package, Fibre to the Node.

Who do people use and had good/bad experiences? Anyone gone with any new start ups?

I'm currently with Exetel but I am looking at Communicate Mate as one option.

Thanks

The biggest issue you will face with NBN is how active the reseller is at upgrading CVC. Given how hugely expensive it is, most run at close to or over capacity intentionally and only upgrade when the congestion extends beyond peak time.

I am with Telstra and based on feedback on all kinds of social media (mostly Whirlpool), Telstra is amongst the best at upgrading capacity. That's not to say any of their service is better or worse than other competitors nor do they have any better engagement with NBN if (when, ugh) something goes wrong. Price wise, they're not as competitive as others and if it wasn't for an excellent bundle ($120 for 2000gb + Foxtel) and staff discount, I would likely be with someone else. They also have minimum 24 month contracts which a lot of people are put off by.

My brother has signed up with Aussie Broadband who have competitive prices, an all Australian call centre force (apparently) and no lock in contracts. Based on feedback on WP, they've glowing endorsements from just about everyone. https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/residential/residential-internet/nbn

Jeterpool
27-04-2017, 03:07 PM
The biggest issue you will face with NBN is how active the reseller is at upgrading CVC. Given how hugely expensive it is, most run at close to or over capacity intentionally and only upgrade when the congestion extends beyond peak time.

I am with Telstra and based on feedback on all kinds of social media (mostly Whirlpool), Telstra is amongst the best at upgrading capacity. That's not to say any of their service is better or worse than other competitors nor do they have any better engagement with NBN if (when, ugh) something goes wrong. Price wise, they're not as competitive as others and if it wasn't for an excellent bundle ($120 for 2000gb + Foxtel) and staff discount, I would likely be with someone else. They also have minimum 24 month contracts which a lot of people are put off by.

My brother has signed up with Aussie Broadband who have competitive prices, an all Australian call centre force (apparently) and no lock in contracts. Based on feedback on WP, they've glowing endorsements from just about everyone. https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/residential/residential-internet/nbn

That's interesting about the upgrading of the CVC. Not something I had come across before.

The lock in contract does concern me when it's going to a completely new service - the "unknown". I've seen the network diagrams and I am right near the node which will hopefully help. I will look at Aussie Broadband - thanks Grim

Grimario
27-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Are you certain of that? My brother has a node across the street from his place (Kotara) but he is connected to a node 3 blocks down the street and on a lengthy cable run.

Jeterpool
27-04-2017, 03:27 PM
Are you certain of that? My brother has a node across the street from his place (Kotara) but he is connected to a node 3 blocks down the street and on a lengthy cable run.

It's an assumption - I had to request a Dial Before You Dig the other week and got the drawings for the phone line network. The phone lines ran around the corner from my place to where the node is located.

I could be wrong...it's been known to happen regularly.

Bon
27-04-2017, 03:46 PM
It's an assumption - I had to request a Dial Before You Dig the other week and got the drawings for the phone line network. The phone lines ran around the corner from my place to where the node is located.

I could be wrong...it's been known to happen regularly.

Mate, don't trust Dial Before You Dig.. They are simply a rough guide..
I used to work there to make some extra cheddar when I was at uni..
Its a bunch of dropkicks (no offence to all the mates and hot chicks I met there, haha) churning out maps to reach daily set KPI's.
So long as you did a certain amount per day, they didn't care if you made mistakes or were completely wrong.. Quantity > Quality apparently..

Jeterpool
27-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Its a bunch of dropkicks (no offence to all the mates and hot chicks I met there, haha) churning out maps to reach daily set KPI's.
So long as you did a certain amount per day, they didn't care if you made mistakes or were completely wrong.. Quantity > Quality apparently..

Well there you go...Cheers Bon

The Dunster
27-04-2017, 04:09 PM

I can totally confirm what Bon said. Engineer / Draftsmen friend reckons if you got a 4 year old drunk and gave them some crayons and a few A4 sheets they'd be able to come up with better drawings.

The Dunster
27-04-2017, 04:18 PM

A lot of it has to do with where you live as well. I don't think I've met anyone at Belmont North that had a decent internet connection, or Belmont South for that matter.

My sister is at Belmont North and her download speeds are woeful - to the point that HD movies won't run let alone 4k movies.
it's so bad my ADSL 2+ connection at Oakhampton was 6 times faster on download. [I'm on NBN now and it's better again].

Grimario
27-04-2017, 04:30 PM
A lot of it has to do with where you live as well. I don't think I've met anyone at Belmont North that had a decent internet connection, or Belmont South for that matter.

My sister is at Belmont North and her download speeds are woeful - to the point that HD movies won't run let alone 4k movies.
it's so bad my ADSL 2+ connection at Oakhampton was 6 times faster on download. [I'm on NBN now and it's better again].

That would be down to where your sister lives and what her ISP does for CVC utilisation. I'm about 700m from the node and the best speed I can ever get on FTTN is <60mb. NBN only guarantee something like 12mb and the guarantee has wording in it that basically translates to "you only need to get max speed for up to 30 minutes a day for us to meet obligations". NBN is ****ed.

The Dunster
27-04-2017, 06:43 PM
That would be down to where your sister lives and what her ISP does for CVC utilisation. I'm about 700m from the node and the best speed I can ever get on FTTN is <60mb. NBN only guarantee something like 12mb and the guarantee has wording in it that basically translates to "you only need to get max speed for up to 30 minutes a day for us to meet obligations". NBN is ****ed.

Not correct. Under the Australia Consumer Guarantee products and services need to be fit for purpose. Disclaimers such as you mentioned mean nothing. They simply rely on most people being too piss weak to challenge them.

Any ISP trying to convince a court that 30mins a day at 12mbit is a reasonable expectation to meet obligations would be bitch slapped quicker than they could blink.

I'm on a 25mbit plan and this is what I get speed wise:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6251893085.png

Glad I'm not with Telstra.

Grimario
27-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Umm... that's the GOVERNMENT documentation. It has nothing to do with any service provider, it's part of the contract that all RSP's sign when they sign up to NBN Co infrastructure. Have fun taking on the government though.

And who you are with when you get on NBN is almost irrelevant, save for CVC over-utilisation.

The Dunster
27-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Umm... that's the GOVERNMENT documentation. It has nothing to do with any service provider, it's part of the contract that all RSP's sign when they sign up to NBN Co infrastructure. Have fun taking on the government though.

And who you are with when you get on NBN is almost irrelevant, save for CVC over-utilisation.

I agree.

It's called delegated legislation. If you have a connection that under performs you take on the ISP not the government. The reason you take on the ISP is because they are the ones you paid. The NBN / Government are responsible to the ISP not you.

I raised a shit storm about my connection and that's why I have what you would call a close to perfect 25mbit connection / service.

It took nearly a year but light enough fires under people and you can get them to do a lot.

pv4
28-04-2017, 10:32 AM

This is the most interesting thing I've read for a few months. Thankyou for enlightening us!

Jeterpool
18-09-2017, 08:06 AM
I need some help from someone who has experience in audio mixing.

I have some audio that has a baseline hum to it. Its a piece of commentary. Listening to it on the PC it's fine, but listening to same file on my phone it is scratchy and overtakess the commentary.

I was wondering if someone with a specific set of skills wouldn't mind having a look at it for me or offering some advice? It's about 2 minutes of audio

The Dunster
18-09-2017, 10:18 AM
If you mix for an iphone its going to sound like shit on pretty much everything else. Find someone with some reference monitors and try it out - if it's still shit you will need a sound engineer to fix it as it's more than a simple mix issue.

Jeterpool
18-09-2017, 10:50 AM
If you mix for an iphone its going to sound like shit on pretty much everything else. Find someone with some reference monitors and try it out - if it's still shit you will need a sound engineer to fix it as it's more than a simple mix issue.

Thanks. It's funny that all my other recordings haven't had an issue but these 2 files have.

I will work on another option and see what happens but it won't be worth paying to fix. (It's a piece of commentary for the Championship Chronicles which isn't generating an income!).

Jetmaster
18-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Is it one of my clips mate - I know there is some hum when the levels are low in patches? If it is I can run it through Audacity and try to tidy it up.

The Dunster
18-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Is it one of my clips mate - I know there is some hum when the levels are low in patches? If it is I can run it through Audacity and try to tidy it up.

+1 on Audacity - great program

Jeterpool
18-09-2017, 12:11 PM

Yeah it is. I'll PM you

Jeterpool
18-09-2017, 12:13 PM
+1 on Audacity - great program

Agree. It's what I've used for the series, but it's been awesome. I'm self-taught so there's functionality I don't understand.

leftrightout
27-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Alright guys, after some advice from those in the know.
Need to connect new house to NBN. Just need performance to do the standard things like Spotify, Netflix etc.
Who out there has a good plan they are really happy with?

Thanks in advance you bloody legends!

plague
27-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Need to connect new house to NBN. Just need performance to do the standard things like Spotify, Netflix etc.

we use internode, we are on their base speed and unlimited data for about $60 per month. we chew heaps of data because we run HD Foxtel through the tele via Foxtel Now. so if you dont need as much data then there are cheaper packages. service is tops.

highly recommend.

Bon
27-11-2017, 02:35 PM
we use internode, we are on their base speed and unlimited data for about $60 per month. we chew heaps of data because we run HD Foxtel through the tele via Foxtel Now. so if you dont need as much data then there are cheaper packages. service is tops.

highly recommend.

I use TPG, sounds like its the same plan/system as what plague has got going with internode ($60/month unlimited)..
Works fine for Netfrix, Foxtel, smart tv, gaming, hawk's adult entertainment services etc..

Jeterpool
27-11-2017, 03:25 PM

I use MATE Communicate. Based in Wetherill Park and have really good customer service.

Haven't had any drop outs or perfromance issues.

Pay $80 (I think) a month for 50/20 that has unlimited data and no lock in contract. Brother and Father have gone with the same mob and similarly had no issue.

Happy with my choice

Grimario
29-11-2017, 11:05 AM
My brother and many others swear by Aussie Broadband. No contract, good monthly rates and inclusions, all Australian based support.

I recommend Telstra.

StannyCFCJET
29-11-2017, 01:21 PM
I use TPG, sounds like its the same plan/system as what plague has got going with internode ($60/month unlimited)..
Works fine for Netfrix, Foxtel, smart tv, gaming, hawk's adult entertainment services etc..

Ive got TPG decent price but the speeds are well behind a Telstra or an Optus

Grimario
29-11-2017, 01:26 PM

For NBN? Shouldn't really matter who you are with as it still uses the same crappy bit of copper unless you are one of the lucky FTTP ones. Could also be that TPG is terrible at managing CVC congestion which means your peak time speeds will be abysmal. Aussie Broadband and Telstra are both considered very good at maintaining that.

Jeterpool
29-11-2017, 01:55 PM
For NBN? Shouldn't really matter who you are with as it still uses the same crappy bit of copper unless you are one of the lucky FTTP ones. Could also be that TPG is terrible at managing CVC congestion which means your peak time speeds will be abysmal. Aussie Broadband and Telstra are both considered very good at maintaining that.

I've never had a speed under 46mbps and I am FTTN, paying for a 50/20 plan.

Grimario
29-11-2017, 01:58 PM
I've never had a speed under 46mbps and I am FTTN, paying for a 50/20 plan.

What exchange area and who are you with? I have never had any issues with peak time congestion in Cameron Park.

Mine syncs at around 75mb so I am paying for the 100mb plan as it's only $5 a month more expensive ($3.75 after staff discount).

Jeterpool
30-11-2017, 06:35 AM
What exchange area and who are you with? I have never had any issues with peak time congestion in Cameron Park.

Mine syncs at around 75mb so I am paying for the 100mb plan as it's only $5 a month more expensive ($3.75 after staff discount).

New Lambton.

I'm also 300m from the Node. That helps. My top speed when the NBN guy came and measured my "capable speed" was 103.

Jetmaster
30-11-2017, 07:58 AM
Move to the promised land out west...FTTP (the way it should be).

Streaming two EPL games in HD, working online and still pulling at 90Mbps - usually above 95 consistently.

Macca
30-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Meanwhile... Telstra adsl2 (most we can get in our area) lucky to get over 2 mbps and often goes to shit between 5pm and 10pm

hawk
30-11-2017, 09:35 AM

are you Adsl2 or nbn? what speeds you get

Thinking about going nbn on the TP

Jeterpool
30-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Move to the promised land out west...FTTP (the way it should be).

Streaming two EPL games in HD, working online and still pulling at 90Mbps - usually above 95 consistently.

Did you organise for FTTP to be installed? How was the cost, if so?

The Dunster
30-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Telstra and Optus are terrible as well in certain areas. Most of your speed will be to do with how far from the cabinet / exchange you are not so much the ISP.
My sister has NBN with Telstra at Belmont North and is lucky to get 4mbit a second download.
Alternatively, I have a cabinet fifty metres from my house and was getting 19mbit a second donmload speed on ADSL2. When I swtiched to a 25mb NBN a year or so ago my speed is 24mbit per second download from a 25mbit plan. I'm with iinet.
We run two computers, high definition Sports / movies on both TV's simultaneously and have no issues.

Again, where you are is the issue not so much the ISP. Your neighbours connection will be just as shit as yours - if it's not then there is an issue at the exchange.

Jetmaster
01-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Did you organise for FTTP to be installed? How was the cost, if so?

No sorry Dave - Maitland South is a "brownfields" area - they had to replace the copper with fibre and we got the good stuff. Unfortunately the consumer doesn't get a choice as it is based on where you live and what infrastructure was installed.

I cheered to the gods when I found out we were to get FTTP.

The Dunster
02-12-2017, 11:08 AM
No sorry Dave - Maitland South is a "brownfields" area - they had to replace the copper with fibre and we got the good stuff. Unfortunately the consumer doesn't get a choice as it is based on where you live and what infrastructure was installed.

I cheered to the gods when I found out we were to get FTTP.

I'm at Maitland / Oakhampton and have FTTN - but the cabs within 50 metres so it still flies. In laws are at Aberglasslyn / Rutherford in a new estate home and they have FTTP.

Jeterpool
21-12-2017, 02:08 PM
I currently have an older Apple TV which doesn't have all the Free-to-air catch up services on it. Only has Channel 10 and doesn't support the others.

Is there a box, like Chromecast, Foxtel Box or equivalent that has all FTA catch up services on them? Struggling to find adequate information.

hawk
21-12-2017, 02:21 PM
I currently have an older Apple TV which doesn't have all the Free-to-air catch up services on it. Only has Channel 10 and doesn't support the others.

Is there a box, like Chromecast, Foxtel Box or equivalent that has all FTA catch up services on them? Struggling to find adequate information.

foxtel now? mobile phone app

or peruse these. good luck
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/126?g=188

Macca
21-12-2017, 04:16 PM
I haven't used it too much, I mostly watch shows on my PC.
But the folks have a Telstra TV hooked up to the big screen that I believe they got from Telstra for free, has all the FTA services as well as youtube and netflix.

I have also used a chromecast, I don't think it has any services built into it from my understanding - its used as a mirror of sorts controlled by apps on your phone or iPad etc. I watch netflix on it sometimes - open up netflix in the phone, pick your show and hit the chromecast option (looks like a screen with a wifi symbol on it). The chromecast then proceeds to stream the show you've instructed it to watch with your phone - the phone does not stream then transmit.

So I imagine if got the FTA apps on your phone you could use the chromecast to watch those.

The Dunster
21-12-2017, 05:15 PM

It's difficult because the affiliations between brands and apps changes from year to year and model to model. LG used to have Foxtel App - now only on some models. Samsung does have the foxtel app now, in the past it wasn't always available.

The Telstra box Macca mentions sounds good as it has all the apps now - but remember - it may not be the case in a years time - so keep that in mind as well before you part with your cash.

You could always get a better TV if that's an option - Smart TV's now are pretty awesome - and not as ridiculously priced as they were in the past.

WolfMan
22-12-2017, 06:52 AM

Hey mate, this might help -

Freeview FV Chromecast support is available for both iOS and Android devices.

Freeview FV delivers live streaming of 20 free-to-air TV channels and the catch-up content from all broadcasters. Available channels include: ABC, SBS, Seven, Channel 9, TEN, ONE, Eleven ABC2/ABC KIDS, ABC ME, ABC News 24, SBS VICELAND, Food Network, NITV, 7TWO, 7Mate, 7Flix, Racing.com, 9Gem, 9Go! and 9Life. More live channels will be added as they become available, Freeview says.

From - https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/05/freeview-works-on-chromecast-now/

Let me know if you want a Chromecast (if you don't already have one). JB Hi Fi have a sweet deal on at the minute whereby you get Google Home, Home Mini and a Chromecast for a good price in a bundle. I wouldn't ever use the Chromecast, so it's yours if you want it #Xmas

Jetmaster
22-12-2017, 08:17 AM
The Optus Fetch box (which I got for EPL natch) has all the FTA catchups as well, though why on earth do you want FTA? :rof:

Or get a good quality Android box with Kodi - then you can pretty much watch anything if you are techy enough.

hawk
31-12-2017, 12:04 AM
The Optus Fetch box (which I got for EPL natch) has all the FTA catchups as well, though why on earth do you want FTA? :rof:

Or get a good quality Android box with Kodi - then you can pretty much watch anything if you are techy enough.

So how does the felch box work? Need big $ accounts to connect to Optus?

Im asking cause Im trying to work out how to watch all of World Cup which is also on fking Optass

Jetmaster
31-12-2017, 01:54 PM
So how does the felch box work? Need big $ accounts to connect to Optus?

Im asking cause Im trying to work out how to watch all of World Cup which is also on fking Optass

Yeah I moved everything to Optus to coincide with NBN. Full high speed internet plus Fetch costs me $110 a month.

There is a 14 day free trial for the app at the moment so you can try that. The app and the Fetch are both different beasts and each has its own advantages.

I started using my phone plugged into the TV with an MHL connector - data free with an Optus phone.

hawk
31-12-2017, 04:31 PM
hmmm im gonna have to look further into it as the cups draws nearer.

Ill do some sort of subscription if the OS options arent reliable

Jetmaster
31-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Many people have bought a $45 a month SIM that they never use and hookup to the website.

Cancel after the WC.

Read Whirlpool - there are ways and means.

hawk
01-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Many people have bought a $45 a month SIM that they never use and hookup to the website.

Cancel after the WC.

Read Whirlpool - there are ways and means.

Been on there. some helpful options but nothing concrete

plague
01-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Been on there. some helpful options but nothing concrete

tbh the best workaround im seeing at the moment is to get a VPN and sign up for a legit streaming service O/S to watch. No schedule has been unveiled yet but BBC, ITV (pommies) and Direct TV (which includes yanks WC broadcaster) have month to month plans. looks like between $45-65 will get you every game in HD on your internerd machine.

havent seen too many other (english speaking) countries yet that have a better option. at best Optus will prob only offer a package in SD or aids vision anyway.

Jetmaster
02-01-2018, 07:19 AM
Another workaround is to find a mate with Optus Sports and do a deal to get his login to get into the app.

There is a limit to how many devices can run at the same time - something like three devices or a device plus a Fetch.

MFKS
02-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Any advice on how to best exploit a Google Play gift Card I got for XMAS??

Have had about $35 on my Google account for best part of 4-5 years now as I don't really use it other than having bought the odd app for the phone

Enlighten me on some ideas on how to get some value from the present rather than just wasting it trialling apps I don't really need

Grimario
02-01-2018, 12:43 PM
You could sign up for Google music on the 4 month free deal then use the rest of the credit taking it out to almost 3 months?

Other options are digital books or hiring movies.

Couscous
02-01-2018, 10:24 PM
Buy movies.

I use Google for everything (music, TV, films, etc). I think it's marginally cheaper than iTunes, etc.

Jetmaster
03-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Buy movies.

I use Google for everything (music, TV, films, etc). I think it's marginally cheaper than iTunes, etc.

Pfft - not as cheap as PB.

:thumbsup:

la bazzle
05-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Anyone know the better options for extending wifi to go like another 30 metres that retains at least a decent amount of speed? Extender repeater are these things different or the same thing or what?

Edit: or is this wifi mesh shit the way to go?

Jetmaster
05-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Power line adapter?

https://www.cnet.com/news/top-five-power-line-adapters-when-wi-fi-fails-you/

Been thinking of this myself.

The Dunster
05-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Buy movies.

What's the movie quality like ? Do they do 4k HDR ?

la bazzle
05-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Power line adapter?

https://www.cnet.com/news/top-five-power-line-adapters-when-wi-fi-fails-you/

Been thinking of this myself.

Tried it but but the granny flat is on a differently power thingy or some jazz?

WolfMan
05-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Tried it but but the granny flat is on a differently power thingy or some jazz?

Yeh, the transmitter and receiver have to be on the same circuit for this to work.

Mesh seems good, but can be expensive. Apparently, Google's mesh system is great but yeh, pretty pricey

EDIT: Also, not sure I would trust a Powerline adaptor system given the segregation required between data and power to avoid interference. I'm sure it can get you out of a tight spot, but the speeds would surely suffer running along the same line as 240V

la bazzle
05-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Yeh, the transmitter and receiver have to be on the same circuit for this to work.

Mesh seems good, but can be expensive. Apparently, Google's mesh system is great but yeh, pretty pricey

Yeah I was thinking of checking out the mesh thingy, other wise was just going to get those telco jerks to sort something

WolfMan
06-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Yeah I was thinking of checking out the mesh thingy, other wise was just going to get those telco jerks to sort something

If the Granny Flat isn't miles away, you could be better off running Cat6 cable direct from the existing Modem, or alternatively, teeing off the phone line with a secondary line to GF and relocating the modem itself.

You'll always get better speeds wired vs wireless, no matter the system

Bremsstrahlung
07-01-2018, 08:15 AM
Does anybody know if there’s any advanatage to getting a Foxtel Now Box opposed to running Foxtel Now through my PlayStation? I’ve been trying to look into it on their websites but doesn’t really tell me much.
I imagine it’s interchangeable and is similar to Apple TV in a sense that you just plug it in and use the remote to navigate.
Is there any picture benefits? Does it stream better quality or faster?

Edit: I’m 99.99% sure there’s no differences to quality/speed vs ps4.

Jeterpool
07-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Does anybody know if there’s any advanatage to getting a Foxtel Now Box opposed to running Foxtel Now through my PlayStation? I’ve been trying to look into it on their websites but doesn’t really tell me much.
I imagine it’s interchangeable and is similar to Apple TV in a sense that you just plug it in and use the remote to navigate.

I suppose the only difference would be which is likely to be maintained/updated for a longer period of time, which I'd suggest is the box.

hawk
07-01-2018, 11:05 AM

Can you record Foxtel Now onto Playstation? With the FT "puck" you cant.

Jetmaster
07-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Used Foxtel Now on PS4 whilst my satellite box was being repaired....never again.
Slow..PQ not as good...couldn't record.
If you don't have to, don't fall for the marketing bluff.
Satellite box far and away better.

hawk
08-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Used Foxtel Now on PS4 whilst my satellite box was being repaired....never again.
Slow..PQ not as good...couldn't record.
If you don't have to, don't fall for the marketing bluff.
Satellite box far and away better.

cheers. damn.

Jetmaster
08-01-2018, 02:28 PM
That's not to say that it is not for some people. I have Optus Fetch foir EPL but it narks me that games are on delay because of streaming lag and I can't record games to keep. This is one area streaming looks to make obsolete.

It is a great joy to look back on full recordings of Jets games I have been able to archive since day one.

hawk
08-01-2018, 10:20 PM
That's not to say that it is not for some people. I have Optus Fetch foir EPL but it narks me that games are on delay because of streaming lag and I can't record games to keep. This is one area streaming looks to make obsolete.

It is a great joy to look back on full recordings of Jets games I have been able to archive since day one.

Im hoping a hdcp splitter might work. no idea what quality and timer recording will suck. failing that a mate with a mini fetch

hawk
25-04-2018, 04:31 PM
Anyone able to cast Optus from mobile to smart tv?

dont all rush...i worked it.

furns
09-08-2020, 06:17 PM
Trying to get back into PC gaming after a forever absence.
Cant get XBox Game Pass for PC to work, every time I try to install a game it gives an error. Buggy af
Anyone else having issues or been able to fix them?

Have installed Bethesda launcher, and grabbed a free copy of Quake :)
Apparently Quake II will be available for free in the next few days as part of QuakeCon.

StannyCFCJET
09-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Steam is what I use for PC, Loads of games on there

furns
09-08-2020, 06:23 PM
uyeah I know, but there was a $1 offer for PC Game Pass. Figure it would be simple and only $1. They should be paying me ffs

Grimario
09-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Epic Games do 2-3 free games every week as well. Lots of shitty indie games and the occasional blockbuster AAA game.

I've had no problems with the Xbox app. It's excellent and I now have 3 different programs (6 including Uplay, GoG and battle.net) that have games I never play!

Grimario
15-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Epic Games currently has Remnant as the weekly freebie and it is a fantastic co-op shooter. Would definitely recommend.

furns
15-08-2020, 02:25 PM
Have installed Bethesda launcher, and grabbed a free copy of Quake
Apparently Quake II will be available for free in the next few days as part of QuakeCon.

Quake II is now available for free, Quake III will apparently be available in the next few days