PDA

View Full Version : NNSW State League Select Team

The Baby Piglet
23-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Considering that we are nearly half way through the season, id like to get people thoughts on the standout players so far. And who in their opinion should be in contention for selection in the NNSW representative team.

Also so just putting it out there, thoughts on the possibility of a NBN select XI v NewFm select XI. I do realise that the NBN would most likely have a much stronger team, but i have noticed this year in the NewFm league that there is alot more quality, with former state league players dropping drop back a division due to various reason.
Perhaps a 2 or 3 game series with a team being selected to vs the jets at the end. Think it would add an interesting twist to both leagues to have some representative fixtures ???

ForeverRed
23-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Considering that we are nearly half way through the season, id like to get people thoughts on the standout players so far. And who in their opinion should be in contention for selection in the NNSW representative team.

Also so just putting it out there, thoughts on the possibility of a NBN select XI v NewFm select XI. I do realise that the NBN would most likely have a much stronger team, but i have noticed this year in the NewFm league that there is alot more quality, with former state league players dropping drop back a division due to various reason.
Perhaps a 2 or 3 game series with a team being selected to vs the jets at the end. Think it would add an interesting twist to both leagues to have some representative fixtures ???
Newfm is terrible,

The Baby Piglet
23-05-2013, 04:07 PM
^^^ so you dont think you could put a squad together to that could be competitive ??

ForeverRed
23-05-2013, 04:14 PM
^^^ so you dont think you could put a squad together to that could be competitive ??

Nope, not even close

ForeverRed
23-05-2013, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=backstick;38189]Simon Mooney from Lakes. Only seen him play twice, but each time he was a standout.[/ stand out in a poor team, but he can play a little , I'll go with Swancott from olympic plus Chris Gazzard from Southy

immersion
23-05-2013, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=backstick;38189]Simon Mooney from Lakes. Only seen him play twice, but each time he was a standout.[/ stand out in a poor team, but he can play a little , I'll go with Swancott from olympic plus Chris Gazzard from Southy

Swancott is the best keeper in the comp IMO.

Is Gazzard one of the best in his position? In my opinion no i dont think so.

But if the game was interchange you could sub him on for attacking throw-ins. Heck he could play EPL if the game was interchange

TheBean
23-05-2013, 08:33 PM
i agree with the simon mooney call, he's sharp. danny ireland as keeper. swancott is good though, they would be top two.

TheBean
23-05-2013, 08:35 PM
hayne would have to be up there, also think harry maguire from olympic has looked threatening in a few games ive seen him in.

Onehunglow
23-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Great Idea BP, there will be an obvious gap in the standard, however, it may not be as vast as some think. In a one off game or series the best of the NewFm would feel they can lift against NBN players. FR don't forget, a lot of the best in NewFm could play NBN except for other commitments and could aim up in a one off game.

Imyourhero
23-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Great Idea BP, there will be an obvious gap in the standard, however, it may not be as vast as some think. In a one off game or series the best of the NewFm would feel they can lift against NBN players. FR don't forget, a lot of the best in NewFm could play NBN except for other commitments and could aim up in a one off game.

I don't see how it would be such a terrible idea either. Who cares if an NBN select beat the Newfm select everytime especially considering THAT THEY SHOULD! haha
It would only help newfm players see how far off the mark they are and for the boys apart of the team that eventually gets the promotion gives them a better idea of what to expect.
If this sort of event was successfull you could even have 19s vs 19s + 23s vs 23s select team events also.
These events could easily be marketed as a good opportunity as fundraiser events.

JCBT
24-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Carl Thornton from Weston would be a walk in for the NBN side, Ben Martin and the Fletcher boys from Maitland for the NEW FM side

sharky21
24-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Maitland keeper Benn Kelly would have to be the top choice in goal for NEWFM. iv watch him play on many occasions he is a freak between the sticks.

TheBean
24-05-2013, 12:01 PM
sharky is he a different keeper than maitland had last year?

JCBT
24-05-2013, 12:53 PM
sharky is he a different keeper than maitland had last year?

Yeah he is

TheBean
24-05-2013, 12:59 PM
ok cheers no worries. so the new bloke is better than Carter for Adamstown??

Zico
24-05-2013, 01:05 PM
ok cheers no worries. so the new bloke is better than Carter for Adamstown??
Would be close mate. Kelly isn't as much of a cowboy that Carter can be.

spamg172
24-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Kelly would be close to the best keeper including NBN. He was the one they called up to the Jets when they were having their keeper merry go round a couple of seasons ago.

cobra23
24-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Kelly would be close to the best keeper including NBN. He was the one they called up to the Jets when they were having their keeper merry go round a couple of seasons ago.

Kelly is a great shot stopper, but cant catch any high balls.. that is his down fall.
Plus he is to inconsistant.
Carter has my pick.

Imyourhero
24-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Kelly is a great shot stopper, but cant catch any high balls.. that is his down fall.
Plus he is to inconsistant.
Carter has my pick.

Are you sure you haven't been watching Maitland's backup keeper? Kelly is a great high ball catcher its one of his best traits.

sharky21
25-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Are you sure you haven't been watching Maitland's backup keeper? Kelly is a great high ball catcher its one of his best traits.
I think ur right he has him confused with the back up keeper. Maybe he watched the Maitland V ATown game I'm pretty sure Benn was suspended for that game. Not only did he trial with the jets I do believe Sydney FC wanted him to go and play in the Sydney comp so they could keep an eye on him.

WolfMan
25-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Would have played in the ACL, but he broke his finger at training via a Rubez bullet.

EH9
25-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I like the idea.

Ben Kelly is a good keeper. You would have Ben Martin, Shane Paul, Matty Paul all playing. Would be a decent team.

Flint_tropics
12-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Phil bures would be my pick

Bremsstrahlung
25-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Southy's Steve Piggot coaching the Select team.

ForeverRed
25-06-2013, 05:49 PM
brett fawkes assisting

Bremsstrahlung
25-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Fawkes is a great coach. Surprised he hasn't snapped up a first grade gig yet. I think his strengths lie, working with younger (teens) players though. Similar to Jim Foley.

Is Piggot in his last year at Southy this year? or 1 more to go?

ForeverRed
25-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Fawkes is a great coach. Surprised he hasn't snapped up a first grade gig yet. I think his strengths lie, working with younger (teens) players though. Similar to Jim Foley.

Is Piggot in his last year at Southy this year? or 1 more to go?
Not sure, Bretts fawkes is a great coach but has taken a lesser role this year due to his bike riding commitments

immersion
26-06-2013, 04:44 PM

Let hope he doesnt embarrass himself with the side he picks like he did last year :lulz:

namwob99
26-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Jobe!!

ForeverRed
26-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Let hope he doesnt embarrass himself with the side he picks like he did last year :lulz:
damian smith picked the team last year, piggott was assistant, had no say in selection

immersion
26-06-2013, 05:04 PM
damian smith picked the team last year, piggott was assistant, had no say in selection

Ok thank you for clearing that up. Damien Smith embarrassed himself.

ForeverRed
26-06-2013, 05:14 PM
not sure if jobe should be picked, his had his chance at this level and decided to quit, I think there would be plenty of players who would love a crack at the jets before Jobe gets a look in, he will probably get picked though but for what reason Im not sure.

RedMexican
26-06-2013, 06:07 PM
should bleed the younger group of nbn players into this team, to see how far off the mark they are

EH9
26-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Limited, not no say

seldom
26-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Why didn't they grab another 1st grade coach to assist Piggot or was noone else interested ?

ForeverRed
26-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Why didn't they grab another 1st grade coach to assist Piggot or was noone else interested ?

Piggos choice

JCBT
27-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Piggos choice
Typical Piggot. Great coach and superb football brain but we all know what he is like.

The Baby Piglet
27-06-2013, 09:24 AM

You are dead set having one forever red....If u seriously think Piggo had no say in any selections last year you are delusional. One example: if piggo wasn't coach Nick Russell doesn't make the squad

JCBT
27-06-2013, 09:24 AM
not sure if jobe should be picked, his had his chance at this level and decided to quit, I think there would be plenty of players who would love a crack at the jets before Jobe gets a look in, he will probably get picked though but for what reason Im not sure.
I actually agree with you on something :wtf:

immersion
27-06-2013, 10:18 AM

I politely disagree. I think the state league barely has anyone who would be likely to push to the next level (excluding the jets youth). Pick some good youngsters with a combination of battle tested state league players. The match is both about trying to develop youth, but also provide a respectable match for the Jets. I would hate for the Jets to absolutely obliterate the NBN state league team. That does the league absolutely no favors.

ForeverRed
27-06-2013, 10:38 AM
You are dead set having one forever red....If u seriously think Piggo had no say in any selections last year you are delusional. One example: if piggo wasn't coach Nick Russell doesn't make the squad

Only stating what the man told me, have no reason not to believe him

ForeverRed
27-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I politely disagree. I think the state league barely has anyone who would be likely to push to the next level (excluding the jets youth). Pick some good youngsters with a combination of battle tested state league players. The match is both about trying to develop youth, but also provide a respectable match for the Jets. I would hate for the Jets to absolutely obliterate the NBN state league team. That does the league absolutely no favors.
Are we talking about the jets, they dont obliterate anyone

prawnhead
27-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Typical Piggot. Great coach and superb football brain but we all know what he is like.

Piggo has certainly been around for a long time and credit to him for that. I know he coached at Azzurri before he went to Southy and I think even at Maitland before that. Has he won a minor premiership since he started coaching at 1st grade NBN level?? I tried to hop on NNSW website to get historical results but they only go back to 2012.

In his time at Southy - in 2013 they are currently 7th and finished 6th in 2012. I know Southy had a great year in 2011 and were beaten in GF and State Cup winners.

Forever Red - where did Southy finish in league in 2009, 2010 and 2011??

By the way I support Piggo being given the Select side job I think he deserves it. Just trying to get a feel for his first grade results since going to Southy. And I know he has done some great things on development side at the club. Cheers

ForeverRed
27-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Piggo has certainly been around for a long time and credit to him for that. I know he coached at Azzurri before he went to Southy and I think even at Maitland before that. Has he won a minor premiership since he started coaching at 1st grade NBN level?? I tried to hop on NNSW website to get historical results but they only go back to 2012.

In his time at Southy - in 2013 they are currently 7th and finished 6th in 2012. I know Southy had a great year in 2011 and were beaten in GF and State Cup winners.

Forever Red - where did Southy finish in league in 2009, 2010 and 2011??

By the way I support Piggo being given the Select side job I think he deserves it. Just trying to get a feel for his first grade results since going to Southy. And I know he has done some great things on development side at the club. Cheers

Won a premiership with Azzurri as coach, not sure of the year

ForeverRed
27-06-2013, 11:21 AM

What's the last bit of your statement meant to mean

prawnhead
27-06-2013, 11:28 AM

Thanks for that. Where did Southy finish on ladder in 2009, 2010 and 2011? Cheers

pv4
27-06-2013, 11:35 AM

IIRC in 2010 Southy finished second last. Toronto's only point that season was a draw v Southy at Ulinga.

prawnhead
27-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Just checked Wiki and Azzurri won a GF in 2002 which I'm assuming Piggo won. They don't appear to have won a Premiership from 2001 onwards (Wiki only went back that far). Wiki could be wrong though.

Bremsstrahlung
27-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Wasn't he 19s Coach there before Southy? Greg Smith was Head Coach in that year Azzurri made the GF (year before he went to Southy). Was Piggo Head coach before that?

MFKS
27-06-2013, 12:01 PM
As far as Jobe being selected well he is playing in the competition and deserves to be picked if deemed good enough. No BS that he played at a higher level and has stepped down so should be overlooked. If the bloke is deemed good enough to make the NNSW select team then he should be picked. If he got picked any motivation to play well from Jobe would come down to sticking it to the coaching management side of things. remember he would still be mates with the Jets squad and be catching up with regularly socially.

Last weekend Birraz Neville and a few were down at Arthur Edden watching him go round against the Jets Yoof. Despite any bad blood between Jobe and GVE Deans and co he played the game in an impeccable manner and didn't let fly with any dirty tackles on the kids or anything like that.

If Jobe is deemed good enough which he would he should be picked

backstick
03-07-2013, 07:49 AM
The team:
Daniel Ireland, Chris Bowling, Alex Kantarovski, Josh Piddington, Phil Burries, Dylan Murphy, Zac Hill, Carl Thornton, Tom Smart, Luke Virgili, Jacob Bailey, Connor Evans, Mason Campbell, Simon Mooney, Daniel Bird, Peter Haynes, Dino Fajkovic, Scott Smith.

ForeverRed
03-07-2013, 09:11 AM
The team:
Daniel Ireland, Chris Bowling, Alex Kantarovski, Josh Piddington, Phil Burries, Dylan Murphy, Zac Hill, Carl Thornton, Tom Smart, Luke Virgili, Jacob Bailey, Connor Evans, Mason Campbell, Simon Mooney, Daniel Bird, Peter Haynes, Dino Fajkovic, Scott Smith.
I like it

TheBean
03-07-2013, 03:38 PM
how is piddington in the squad? hasnt he been injured/in and out of the team this year, and magics defence hasnt been crash hot (correct me if im wrong, its happened before ;) ). think some magic attackers were hard done by, as were some jaffa defenders

Zico
03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Just read that Piggot is after another keeper after the Jaffas keeper pulled out. Surely Swanny will step in.

EH9
03-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Piddo is in the squad because he is the best defender in the league.

TheBean
03-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Ok, agree to disagree I guess. Definitely not having a go at piddo, he's obviously quality, just thought this season he was having injury problems and had been in and out of the side. Compared to say Matt wilks at jaffas who has been the mainstay cb at the best defense in the comp. not having a go at magic either, as I said I would have expected more magic attacking players in the team like Parker etc?

CStein
03-07-2013, 09:39 PM

WOW... An assistant coach has absolutely NO say in the selection of the team. This is a novel concept... FR at it again...

Anyone who knows Damien Smith knows he does a fair bit of consulting and i just cannot believe that that he would not have consulted with his assistant coach, who also happens to be a friend.

seldom
03-07-2013, 09:56 PM

Agreed...1st defender picked imo followed by carl thornton,phil bures and maybe chill.Thought braye smith might of got a look in as well.Maybe shouldnt have left southy lol

the_fozz
03-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Agreed...1st defender picked imo followed by carl thornton,phil bures and maybe chill.Thought braye smith might of got a look in as well.Maybe shouldnt have left southy lol
Bures and Thornton are clear standouts in their respective teams. Without Bures, Southy would be down the bottom. Bray has also been injured most of the year. Piddo is a quality player and will be good value in this group.

Captain_Carl
19-11-2021, 08:25 AM
There should be a team selected each season to play the Jets … in all ages.