View Full Version : All-purpose 2014 World Cup Brazil Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jeterpool
18-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Official thread for World Cup 2014

belchardo
18-06-2013, 09:30 PM
bahahahahahahahahaha

bad luck if anybody was hanging out in the delayed thread and accidentally clicked into this thread! :D

Jeterpool
18-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Oh s**t

belchardo
18-06-2013, 09:57 PM
games in brazil on at 1pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 7pm and 9pm.

which in australia is 2am, 4am, 5am, 6am, 7am, 8am and 10am.

gonna have to talk to my boss tomorrow morning about getting june/july off next year. actually, i'm a professional, they can give me flexible working conditions for that month. i'll work 3pm till 11pm.

Jeterpool
19-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I was wondering about the times and how it would fit for Europe.

Cheers for that.

Who have booked their spot so far?

Brazil
Japan
Australia
Iran
South Korea
??

toad
19-06-2013, 09:23 AM
I was wondering about the times and how it would fit for Europe.

Cheers for that.

Who have booked their spot so far?

Brazil
Japan
Australia
Iran
South Korea
??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#Qualified_teams

belchardo
19-06-2013, 10:22 AM
wow, Iran topped the other pool. did not expect that.

draw is December 7 at 2am our time.

Jeterpool
19-06-2013, 10:51 AM
wow, Iran topped the other pool. did not expect that.

draw is December 7 at 2am our time.

Right, so qualification is knocked over pretty soon then...I really hope we get England, should they qualify.

joel31
19-06-2013, 11:07 AM
games in brazil on at 1pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 7pm and 9pm.

which in australia is 2am, 4am, 5am, 6am, 7am, 8am and 10am.

gonna have to talk to my boss tomorrow morning about getting june/july off next year. actually, i'm a professional, they can give me flexible working conditions for that month. i'll work 3pm till 11pm.
I'll just go to school late

Imyourhero
19-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Just our luck we'll get Brazil, Spain and Germany

pv4
19-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Just our luck we'll get Brazil, Spain and Germany

:rof: apart from that not being possible

We can basically write off any chance of getting a point against whichever top-seed team we draw. 4 points and favourable other results seems to be the only chance we're going to get out of group stage - so a win and a draw against whoever else we draw. I can't see us going any good at all tbh.

hawk
19-06-2013, 12:04 PM

We can basically write off any chance of getting a point against whichever top-seed team we draw. 4 points and favourable other results seems to be the only chance we're going to get out of group stage - so a win and a draw against whoever else we draw. I can't see us going any good at all tbh.
NZ might be in our group if they get past concacaf

Giges
19-06-2013, 01:21 PM
I wish NZ had to play the 5th placed South American side like we had to. 4th in CONCACAF is much easier IMO

Jetmaster
19-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Much can happen in 12 months - in 2005 Griff and Ljubo were in the Uruguay squad and neither have been seen since !!

Timmy wasn't in the starting 11 back then either and nobody had heard of Kennedy.

Really think we need to work on Rogic every game possible, and Oar. Defensively, who can challenge the guys there now ?

pv4
19-06-2013, 04:26 PM
I wish NZ had to play the 5th placed South American side like we had to. 4th in CONCACAF is much easier IMO

I don't think it's always Oceania play CONCACAF.

From what I'm led to believe there are 4 confederations that get 0.5 spots: Oceania (0.5), CONCACAF (3.5), CONMEBOL (5.5 inc Brazil), AFC (4.5). I am under the impression that FIFA put the four federations in a hat and draw out who plays who. I think it used to be pre-determined, but for this WC they drew out of a hat.

FWIW 4th place in CONCACAF could go to anyone still. If I were NZ I'd be particularly scared of drawing Mexico

seldom
19-06-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm confident we should get a point against NZ

MFKS
19-06-2013, 11:16 PM

As much as you can find fault in our current team I wouldn't right them off.

Sure the likes of Spain Germany Brazil Argentina will thump us

England are beatable Italy can be average in group stages (ask NZ) the Dutch we match up well against and the French with their ethnic diverse side are likely to be split on racial lines and disharmony as they have been in recent tournys

Any of these 4 teams we could get points out of if we play well.

Never forget Aussies aim up when not expected to achieve

MFKS
19-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Thought I would do a bit of research about making the trek to brasil

Come across this little Aussie tour. Blown away by it.:wtf:

I wonder how many they will get for it??

http://www.sporttours.com.au/soccer/fifa-world-cup.html

THE SAMBA, RHUMBA AND LA BAMBA TOUR
HOSTED BY THE FOUR DIEGOS
After a fantastic tour of South Africa for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, now is your chance to get in early and book your place on The Samba, Rhumba and La Bumba Tour to Brazil.

Brazil is a country of contrasts, from the Amazon forest, spectacular beaches, great soccer players and Carnival time but not only that, Brazil is full of warm people, great cities with everything from slums to high technology, and a wide range of cultures and races.

The FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil is definately going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity; not only will you get to watch the best football teams in the World compete for the ultimate football title, you can also visit some of Brazil's most recognised places. FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil

TOUR INCLUSIONS

- International airfares from Australia to Venue 1
- International airfares from Venue 3 to Australia
- Domestic airfares from Venue 1 to Venue 2
- Domestic airfares from Venue 2 to Venue 3
- 16 Nights 4 star accommodation in Venue cities
- Breakfasts daily
- Return airport transfers in all 3 venue cities
- Return stadium transfers to all 3 Australian matches
- Bilingual assistance with all transfers
- Four Diegos sombrero, shirt & scarf
- Opening ceremony on arrival hosted by four Diegos
- Regular football panels hosted by Four Diegos
- Hosted by the Four Diegos
- Managed by Premium Sport Tours staff

TOUR EXCLUSIONS

- Airline Taxes and Charges (Aprox 800.00)
- Match Tickets - Purchase individually on FIFA website (20 August) - Click Here to vist FIFA website
- All items of a personal nature
- All meals and drinks unless specified
- Travel insurance (strongly recommended)
- Visa required for Brazil (currently $ 55.00) - Click Here for VISA information

FURTHER INFORMATION

- Venue cities will not be known until the final draw (6 December)
- Exact nights in each city will be determined after the draw
- Flight availability and schedules may require an additional stopover in Santiago (additional cost)
- No visa required for Chile, but a reciprocity fee is applicable for a stopover (Currently USD 95.00)
- If Australia is drawn to play in Rio, then the additional surcharge will apply
- All payments are completely non-refundable

TOUR PRICES - prices per person
Tour

Twin

Single
16 Day Group Tour

$10,990

$16,990
Rio Surcharge

$700

$1,400

PAYMENT DETAILS
Deposit - $2,000 per person due upon booking
Interim Payment 1 - $3,000.00 per person due on Monday 30th September, 2013
Interim Payment 2 - $3,000.00 per person due on Monday 30th December, 2013
Balance - Final Balance is due on Monday 31st March, 2014
Airline Taxes and Charges - Due on ticketing approximately a month prior to departure

For a single person to $17k for a 16 day trip??

Don't include tickets to games
Don't include spending money

Whats the money going to???:wtf:
Do you get lap dances from Mel Mclauglin 3 times a day or something.

FMD:wtf:

plague
19-06-2013, 11:51 PM

Come across this little Aussie tour. Blown away by it.:wtf:

For a single person to $17k for a 16 day trip??

Whats the money going to???:wtf:

FMD:wtf:

Captain Obvious seems to be asleep at the wheel so let me answer this.
Travel is expensive.

Spoke to the bloke from Newy who organised our trip to Germany 06 with and hes got 60 going over in 2014. From memory his prices are about $15k but included match tickets. He was saying how frigging difficult it is to get from point a to point b in Brazil (its a pretty big place) and that just to secure rooms/transfers etc its a bomb of money. Knowing how quickly he sold it out and how many people are on his waiting list (even before Aust qualified) he could probably have jacked up his prices a lot more and still filled his quota. Simple supply and demand.
Also unless you get official ballot tickets from FFA you need to pay black market rates. for Germany it meant about $800-$1000 per ticket.

Having said that in 06 I got to see all 4 Aust games and had a month in germany that was priceless. Some things are worth the money to some people.

MFKS
20-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Captain Obvious seems to be asleep at the wheel so let me answer this.
Travel is expensive.

Spoke to the bloke from Newy who organised our trip to Germany 06 with and hes got 60 going over in 2014. From memory his prices are about $15k but included match tickets. He was saying how frigging difficult it is to get from point a to point b in Brazil (its a pretty big place) and that just to secure rooms/transfers etc its a bomb of money. Knowing how quickly he sold it out and how many people are on his waiting list (even before Aust qualified) he could probably have jacked up his prices a lot more and still filled his quota. Simple supply and demand.
Also unless you get official ballot tickets from FFA you need to pay black market rates. for Germany it meant about $800-$1000 per ticket.

Having said that in 06 I got to see all 4 Aust games and had a month in germany that was priceless. Some things are worth the money to some people.

Yeah been doing a bit of research on it.

Hotels seem to be ****ing insane and ripping people off better than you would expect they could honestly achieve. I know its a big place with poor infrastructure so plane flights would be dear.

Honestly for what is a 3rd world country I am blown away by the extortion going on here. 2 weeks in a 3rd world country and you are coughing up that figure?? FMD. I know FIFA are involved here but FFS:banghead:

front2
20-06-2013, 01:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come across this little Aussie tour. Blown away by it.

THE SAMBA, RHUMBA AND LA BAMBA TOUR
HOSTED BY THE FOUR DIEGOS
After a fantastic tour of South Africa for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, now is your chance to get in early and book your place on The Samba, Rhumba and La Bumba Tour to Brazil.

Brazil is a country of contrasts, from the Amazon forest, spectacular beaches, great soccer players and Carnival time but not only that, Brazil is full of warm people, great cities with everything from slums to high technology, and a wide range of cultures and races.

The FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil is definately going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity; not only will you get to watch the best football teams in the World compete for the ultimate football title, you can also visit some of Brazil's most recognised places. FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil

TOUR INCLUSIONS

- International airfares from Australia to Venue 1
- International airfares from Venue 3 to Australia
- Domestic airfares from Venue 1 to Venue 2
- Domestic airfares from Venue 2 to Venue 3
- 16 Nights 4 star accommodation in Venue cities
- Breakfasts daily
- Return airport transfers in all 3 venue cities
- Return stadium transfers to all 3 Australian matches
- Bilingual assistance with all transfers
- Four Diegos sombrero, shirt & scarf
- Opening ceremony on arrival hosted by four Diegos
- Regular football panels hosted by Four Diegos
- Hosted by the Four Diegos
- Managed by Premium Sport Tours staff

TOUR EXCLUSIONS

- Airline Taxes and Charges (Aprox 800.00)
- Match Tickets - Purchase individually on FIFA website (20 August) - Click Here to vist FIFA website
- All items of a personal nature
- All meals and drinks unless specified
- Travel insurance (strongly recommended)
- Visa required for Brazil (currently $ 55.00) - Click Here for VISA information

FURTHER INFORMATION

- Venue cities will not be known until the final draw (6 December)
- Exact nights in each city will be determined after the draw
- Flight availability and schedules may require an additional stopover in Santiago (additional cost)
- No visa required for Chile, but a reciprocity fee is applicable for a stopover (Currently USD 95.00)
- If Australia is drawn to play in Rio, then the additional surcharge will apply
- All payments are completely non-refundable

TOUR PRICES - prices per person
Tour

Twin

Single
16 Day Group Tour

$10,990

$16,990
Rio Surcharge

$700

$1,400

PAYMENT DETAILS
Deposit - $2,000 per person due upon booking
Interim Payment 1 - $3,000.00 per person due on Monday 30th September, 2013
Interim Payment 2 - $3,000.00 per person due on Monday 30th December, 2013
Balance - Final Balance is due on Monday 31st March, 2014
Airline Taxes and Charges - Due on ticketing approximately a month prior to departure For a single person to $17k for a 16 day trip??

Whats the money going to???

FMD

It's more fun in the Philippines

Giges
20-06-2013, 09:55 AM

From what I'm led to believe there are 4 confederations that get 0.5 spots: Oceania (0.5), CONCACAF (3.5), CONMEBOL (5.5 inc Brazil), AFC (4.5). I am under the impression that FIFA put the four federations in a hat and draw out who plays who. I think it used to be pre-determined, but for this WC they drew out of a hat.

FWIW 4th place in CONCACAF could go to anyone still. If I were NZ I'd be particularly scared of drawing Mexico

Oh yeah i knew it was different every time however didnt know how it was determined.
Just thought it was rough that we had to battle of with 5th placed Sth American side for two straight campaigns and then when we leave Oceania all NZ have to do is get past Bahrain.

russjaybee
20-06-2013, 09:57 AM
MFKS world cup tours are fking expensive. What ever you think normal rates should be for accommodation, travel etc triple it.

I went to SA in 2010 with a group of mates and the tour itself was like 13k, that was tickets, flights, accom inclusive. We also got to go see 2 extra games for free which was pretty boss.

Don't think I'll be able to afford to go this time round :(

MFKS
20-06-2013, 11:13 AM
MFKS world cup tours are fking expensive. What ever you think normal rates should be for accommodation, travel etc triple it.

I went to SA in 2010 with a group of mates and the tour itself was like 13k, that was tickets, flights, accom inclusive. We also got to go see 2 extra games for free which was pretty boss.

Don't think I'll be able to afford to go this time round :(

Wasn't expecting them to be cheap and was expecting 10k plus for a two week sojourn. Looking at it now going with the Fanatics you would be looking at 15k plus

Just looking at this WC one of the big issues is actually getting around. Roads are useless due to the distances involved. One of the venues was a 72 hour trip from Rio. Trains are not really existent and Airlines are the only go. Flights can be up to 4-5 hours and they again charge like wounded bulls. FIFA's travel arm is suggesting at figures of US$1250 return. Not really handy for those who may want to go watch more than Socceroos live in the flesh having to pay these figures everytime you want to change destination. So if you are lucky enough to get some tickets to the all important Iran V Venezuela clash or the Egypt V Slovakia bout you can add another grand each time

Other huge issue is the potential for crime in this country. Not like you can just duck into their local KMart pick up a $50 tent and pitch it somewhere. Leave your tent for 10 mins and you would imagine it would be a new addition to the favela

hawk
20-06-2013, 01:57 PM
yep but oceania bplaying 5th place asian team is a gyp. I'd prefer any playoff to be against South America or Euro team in an effort to keep the comp stronger. 4 asian and 3 concacaf teams is plenty and nears ruins the tourny.

It changes according to fifas corruptive thoughts.

goaliepersempre
15-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Thoughts on the Socceroos being ranked 45 in the world that has been a slide down the rankings in the last few years....

It seems that football is aiming for mediocre not excellence.

I state the fact that we don't haves many/any that are in the true big clubs and regularly playing where the best players are re champions league... How does this look for preparations for Brazil 2014.

MFKS
15-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Thoughts on the Socceroos being ranked 45 in the world that has been a slide down the rankings in the last few years....

It seems that football is aiming for mediocre not excellence.

I state the fact that we don't haves many/any that are in the true big clubs and regularly playing where the best players are re champions league... How does this look for preparations for Brazil 2014.

To me it is not all doom and gloom.

Sure we have bludged off the golden generation of 06 for too long but the reality is there has been a large shortfall with the death of the NSL and the establishment of the HAL. Don't forget also that for the first 3-4 years of the HAL there was no NYL so clubs were not interested in playing young players. This is now starting to be slowly rectified with the clubs putting more time money into younger players. Our blokes leaving Australia for overseas are starting to go to clubs of a higher calibre which is an improvement on recent years. Even the speculation on players leaving for overseas is getting better with the Beard being linked to Everton and Parma not Lincoln and Waregem.

I am of the opinion that we will qualify for Russia and still be one of the dominant teams in Asia particularly at home where the mentality of Asian teams sees them struggle under adversity

GazFish35
15-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I am of the opinion that we will qualify for Russia

Agreed.
Getting to brazil while getting the 06 generation out the door was the biggest hurdle.
Now blood the youngsters so they know what 2018 is going to need from them.

Grimario
16-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Panama throw away a 2-1 lead to lose 3-2 with two injury time goals against the US. Would have got them a playoff spot against NZ who instead now have to play Mexico.

MFKS
16-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Panama throw away a 2-1 lead to lose 3-2 with two injury time goals against the US. Would have got them a playoff spot against NZ who instead now have to play Mexico.

Just shows how weak some of the qualification is for the World Cup.

Our crap team can qualify and then get hidings from Brazil/France and Mexico can't even come 3rd in that group they are in yet beat Kiwis over 2 legs and they are there. Pretty embarrassing when there will be better sides not even there or whom will deserve it more

lquiquer
21-11-2013, 02:42 PM
With FIFA already deciding that 7 best ranked teams + Brazil (As per 21st October ) will be seeded then FIFA Logic would suggests the following 4 hats for the draw:

Seeds: Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay, Switzerland, Brazil
Hat 2: Netherland, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Bosnia, Croatia, Russia
Hat 2: USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Australia, Japan, Korea, Iran
Hat 3: Algeria, Cameroun, Ivory coast, Ghana, Nigeria, France, Chili, Ecuador

Note: Chili and Ecuador not to play a South American opponent and France (Ranked behind 8 european teams listed in hat 2) to be drawn with a seeded South American opponent to avoid a group with 3 European teams

So possible Oz group (ouch):

Argentina
Italy
Australia
France

Or kinder:

Switzerland
Bosnia
Australia
Algeria

pv4
21-11-2013, 02:58 PM
For all those sim nerds out there

http://ultra-zone.net/2014-FIFA-World-Cup-Group-Stage-Draws

My attempt (did someone say Group of Death?):

http://i43.tinypic.com/o6i8hv.png

joel31
21-11-2013, 03:05 PM
With FIFA already deciding that 7 best ranked teams + Brazil (As per 21st October ) will be seeded then FIFA Logic would suggests the following 4 hats for the draw:

Seeds: Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay, Switzerland, Brazil
Hat 2: Netherland, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Bosnia, Croatia, Russia
Hat 2: USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Australia, Japan, Korea, Iran
Hat 3: Algeria, Cameroun, Ivory coast, Ghana, Nigeria, France, Chili, Ecuador

Note: Chili and Ecuador not to play a South American opponent and France (Ranked behind 8 european teams listed in hat 2) to be drawn with a seeded South American opponent to avoid a group with 3 European teams

So possible Oz group (ouch):

Argentina
Italy
Australia
France

Or kinder:

Switzerland
Bosnia
Australia
Algeria

Greece are easier than Bosnia
Netherlands are harder than Italy

joel31
21-11-2013, 03:08 PM
For all those sim nerds out there

http://ultra-zone.net/2014-FIFA-World-Cup-Group-Stage-Draws

My attempt (did someone say Group of Death?):

http://i43.tinypic.com/o6i8hv.png

I got Belgium, Ecuador and Greece with us going through behind Belgium after beating Ecuador and losing to Greece

I simulated another 5 times, 3 more we got Belgium

baldrick
08-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Mark 'Marco' Bresciano free to play for Socceroos in World Cup as ban appeal continues

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) said it had rejected a request from Bresciano to temporarily lift the suspension, imposed in November by FIFA, pending his appeal which it said was unlikely to take place for another three months.

Paradoxically, if CAS had accepted the request, the 33-year-old would have run the risk of having to serve the remainder of the ban during the World Cup if he lost the appeal.

Instead, he will now remain banned until March and then be free to play at his third World Cup if selected, whatever the outcome.

Brendan Schwab, head of Asia division for the world players' union FIFPro, confirmed on Twitter that the decision cleared Bresciano for the World Cup.

"Mark Bresciano will be free to represent the Socceroos at the World Cup if selected," he said.

FIFA banned Bresciano after ruling that his transfer to Qatari club Al Gharafa from United Arab Emirates' side Al Nasr in 2012 was illegal.

FIFA ordered Bresciano and Al Gharafa to pay $2 million to Al Nasr and banned the Qatari club from signing players for the next two transfer windows.

"The FIFA decision will not be stayed and remains in effect until the CAS Panel renders its final decision, which is expected in around three month's time or less if the parties agree to an expedited procedure," said CAS.

Reuters

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-08/socceroo-mark-bresciano-free-to-play-in-world-cup/5189694

militiamon
08-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Not a good outcome.

Dude is 33, misses 4 months (probably far more?) of football right before the World Cup.
Mind you, still the most technically gifted player we have available.

goaliepersempre
19-01-2014, 03:01 AM
well that just made things better. Robbie Kruse Cruciate Ligament Tear, out of the world cup....

hawk
19-01-2014, 09:36 AM
well that just made things better. Robbie Kruse Cruciate Ligament Tear, out of the world cup....

that will dent our chances :whistling:

GazFish35
19-01-2014, 09:54 AM
If Robbie kruse not being there hurst our chances (which it will) we never had a chance to begin with (which we didn't)

MFKS
19-01-2014, 07:27 PM
http://www.wz-newsline.de/polopoly_fs/1.1292429.1365962978!/httpImage/onlineImage.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_550/onlineImage.jpg

Remember when things don't go you way.....

It's because your a C U N T

joel31
23-01-2014, 08:16 AM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1179194/Postecoglou-out-to-woo-Liverpool's-Smith
Postecoglu trying to convince Brad Smith to wear the green and gold

leftrightout
29-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Rhys Williams looks like he will miss another world cup and also miss out on moving to the premier league.
The poor kid must he shattered, apparently he has done his achillies.

Grimario
29-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Should be a great WC for us then. Just need Cahill, Oar, Leckie, Rogic and one or two others to break something and we can justify including all the ancient brigade regardless of merit.

MFKS
29-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Should be a great WC for us then. Just need Cahill, Oar, Leckie, Rogic and one or two others to break something and we can justify including all the ancient brigade regardless of merit.

As if any of that will make a difference.

We are gonna be getting violated with biblical type force with or without Robbie Kruse/ Rhys Williams or any other bloke who goes down between now and June 13th.

All this means is that we now have to give opportunities to other blokes to step up to the plate and make a name for themselves. The injuries to me although unfortunate to the players are actually a godsend if it means we are actually forced to look at other players and give them a F Bomb ing Go

leftrightout
30-01-2014, 11:01 AM
As if any of that will make a difference.

We are gonna be getting violated with biblical type force with or without Robbie Kruse/ Rhys Williams or any other bloke who goes down between now and June 13th.

All this means is that we now have to give opportunities to other blokes to step up to the plate and make a name for themselves. The injuries to me although unfortunate to the players are actually a godsend if it means we are actually forced to look at other players and give them a F Bomb ing Go

These two shouldn't be the guys making way to give opportunities for other blokes. They are two great young players who these others blokes should have the chance to play with.

Apart from that, it is just quite sad for both of them. Particularly Williams who missed the last world cup due to a hip injury.

Will the results of our games hinge on these two players? You would obviously have to think not, but you cannot help but to feel for them!

belchardo
17-02-2014, 01:05 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-17/curitiba-set-to-be-axed-from-world-cup3a-reports/5263962

venue for socceroos third game may be dumped.

belchardo
17-02-2014, 02:04 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/5264354-3x2-940x627.jpg

new kit revealed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-17/socceroos-world-cup-kit-inspied-by-1974-side/5264542

Grimario
17-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I'll never understand why they take photos of footballers HOLDING THE BALL...

russjaybee
17-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I like that a lot.

pv4
17-02-2014, 02:11 PM
White socks!!!!!!!! Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Bout freaking time

Kit is classic and simple. Has collar so can be considered smart-casual enough. Love it.

q-money
17-02-2014, 03:03 PM
outstanding

BodyNovo
17-02-2014, 03:07 PM
im anti white sock, would have loved to have seen green socks

but agree the collar is amazing, will purchase

GazFish35
17-02-2014, 05:22 PM
White socks are the greatest.
Love it.

MFKS
17-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Any sightings of the change strip??

Hopefully we have ****ed off the ****ing Gypo colours.

Won't buy on that basis

GazFish35
17-02-2014, 08:04 PM
We won't need a change strip.

MFKS
17-02-2014, 08:12 PM
We won't need a change strip.

Will need for games pre WC and after WC. Also I am pretty certain Fifa still have this thing with dark Vs light shirts for Black and white TV in 3rd world countries etc.

**** KNOWS WHY IN 2014

hawk
18-02-2014, 02:01 PM
White socks!!!!!!!! Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Bout freaking time

Kit is classic and simple. Has collar so can be considered smart-casual enough. Love it.

where are the 2 stripes at the top of the sox? pooooor

GazFish35
18-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Will need for games pre WC and after WC. Also I am pretty certain Fifa still have this thing with dark Vs light shirts for Black and white TV in 3rd world countries etc.

**** KNOWS WHY IN 2014

the leaked images that were accurate for the home kit have the away as navy with yellow trims

MFKS
18-02-2014, 02:29 PM
the leaked images that were accurate for the home kit have the away as navy with yellow trims

What is it with this fascination for Gypo colours??? :banghead:

plague
18-02-2014, 07:25 PM
What is it with this fascination for Gypo colours??? :banghead:

Coz green and gold aren't our official sporting colours are they?
Read somewhere they were navy and something else.
Probs paying homage to that.

I did zero research for this post.

joel31
26-03-2014, 02:50 PM
http://www.football-observatory.com/Publication-of-the-2014-World-Cup
See paragraph 2. Our squad was the oldest to qualify

Skirt Boy
31-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Ben Williams is going to be a ref at the World Cup.

Standards dropping that much?

MFKS
03-04-2014, 12:50 AM
http://media.sbs.com.au/theworldgame/upload_media/3958_socceroosaway-640.jpg

****ing Gypo loving filth.

Won't be buying that shit

joel31
03-04-2014, 05:57 AM
I must say I'm not that big a fan

pv4
03-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Looks unreal

leftrightout
03-04-2014, 09:25 AM
No where near as good as the yellow. Will we even wear it though? We wont clash with anyone in our group and we won't get to play against anyone else!

evolution
03-04-2014, 12:44 PM
No where near as good as the yellow. Will we even wear it though? We wont clash with anyone in our group and we won't get to play against anyone else!

We will clash with the Netherlands. FIFA will definitely not allow orange v yellow. However we are down as the "home" team so it should be the Netherlands who change.

MFKS
03-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Looks unreal

Not surprising the resident Gypo lover likes it:sparring:

parksey
03-04-2014, 03:22 PM
http://images.freshnessmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/nike-soccer-us-national-team-away-kit-01-570x779.jpg

hnng

q-money
03-04-2014, 03:33 PM
looks like a toothpaste lol

GazFish35
03-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Yugoslavia?

pv4
03-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Not surprising the resident Gypo lover likes it:sparring:

I genuinely like it, I think both the home and away have been my favourite Socceroos kits I've seen.

I only posted because I knew you'd hit me up about it :rof:

But get this right - it's our flag colour. That's why we wear navy blue. So can I call you a gypo for living in a country with gypos colours on it?

pv4
03-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Yugoslavia?

Exactly what I thought when I saw it :rof:

Not sure I'm a fan tbh

plague
03-04-2014, 06:04 PM
http://images.freshnessmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/nike-soccer-us-national-team-away-kit-01-570x779.jpg

hnng

http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2009/06/28/mgo_bomb_pop_xout_2k_col_6-29_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c39ecf7613005fe0 67

joel31
14-04-2014, 10:52 AM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1186490/Brazil-is-coming-live-and-exclusive-on-SBS
Can't wait

Grimario
15-04-2014, 01:46 PM
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-team-manager-gary-moretti-quits/story-fnhq5z8s-1226884824081

LONG serving Socceroos team manager Gary Moretti has resigned after serving six national team coaches since 2002.

It’s believed Moretti a veteran of two FIFA World Cup tournaments, two AFC Asian Cup tournaments and a Oceania Nations Cup tournament handed in a shock letter of resignation on Monday.

Moretti is planning to end his stint in May just before new boss Ange Postecoglou leads the Socceroos to his first FIFA World Cup appearance in Brazil.

Moretti’s departure is destined to cause shock waves across the Socceroos camp given the SA-born administrator’s expansive football contact base across the planet.

He was also the national team’s logistics co-ordinator for Brazil, working tirelessly to ensure the Socceroos journey would be as painless as possible.

Moretti among keeping tabs on all Socceroos across the planet helped secure one of Brazil’s best training bases in Vitoria, Brazil for Australia’s fourth World Cup appearance.

FFA accepted the offer by the Governor of the State of Espirito Santo and the Espirito Santo State Football Federation to use the Brazilian coastal city as its base camp after the side charters a flight from Santiago, Chile to reach its destination.

Moretti now 46 first worked for Soccer Australia in 2000 in the federation’s media department before taking on the national team’s media and team manager’s role when Frank Farina was in charge in February 2002.

Former Football Federation Australia chief executive John O’Neill then appointed Moretti as the sole Socceroos team manager in April 2004.

The former Blue Eagles midfielder had worked under former coaches Farina, Guus Hiddink, Graham Arnold, Pim Verbeek, Holger Osieck and now Postecoglou.

He also holds positions with FIFA as a general co-ordinator and the Asian Football Confederation as a match commissioner.

belchardo
13-05-2014, 03:47 PM
BUS SLOGANS FOR 2014 WORLD CUP

Algeria: Desert Warriors In Brazil
Argentina: Not just a team, we are a country
Australia: Socceroos: Hopping Our Way Into History!
Belgium: Expect The Impossible!
Bosnia and Herzegovina: Dragons In Heart, Dragons On The Field!
Brazil: Brace Yourselves! The 6th Is Coming!
Cameroon: A lion remains a Lion
Chile: Go Chile
Colombia: Here travels a nation, not just a team!
Costa Rica: My passion is football, my strength is my people, my pride is Costa Rica.
Côte d'Ivoire: Elephants charging towards Brazil!
Croatia: With Fire In Our Hearts, For Croatia All As One!
Ecuador: One Commitment, One Passion, Only One Heart, This Is For You Ecuador!
England: The Dream Of One Team, The Heartbeat Of Millions!!
France: Impossible Is Not A French Word
Germany: One Nation, One Team, One Dream!
Ghana: Black Stars: Here To Illuminate Brazil
Greece: 'Heroes Play Like Greeks'
Honduras: We are one country, one nation, five stars on the heart
Iran: Honour Of Persia
Italy: Let’s paint the FIFA World Cup dream blue
Japan: Samurai, The Time Has Come To Fight!
Korea Republic: Enjoy it, Reds!
Mexico: Always united, Always aztecas
Netherlands: Real Men Wear Orange
Nigeria: Only Together We Can Win
Portugal: The past is history. The future is victory.
Russia: No one can catch us
Spain: Inside our hearts, the passion of a champion
Switzerland: End Station: 13.07.2014 Maracana! Final Stop: 07-13-14 Maracana!
Uruguay: Three million dreams … Let’s go Uruguay
USA: United By Team, Driven By Passion

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/hopping-mad-socceroos-bus-slogan-unveiled-20140513-zraz0.html#ixzz31ZVkgmi0

gold, I love the way each one is more terrible than the last, no matter what order you read them in. :D:lulz:

Jeterpool
13-05-2014, 04:55 PM
gold, I love the way each one is more terrible than the last, no matter what order you read them in. :D:lulz:

Chile by far my fave, But seriously...WTF

pv4
13-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Love Brazils one :rof:

When I voted for "we got this mates" there were sfa votes for yhe others. What happened?

leftrightout
14-05-2014, 09:12 AM
They should have asked the honey badger to make something up....

militiamon
14-05-2014, 07:53 PM
fyi, most of the slogans are not in English, and the translations are terrible.

The Chilean one for example is actually:

"Chi, chi chi. Le, le, le. ¡VIVA CHILE!"

Which is basically their version of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi" and nothing like "Go Chile"

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceache%C3%AD

Still doesn't excuse ours though :blush:

Jetmaster
18-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Hummanahhhumanna....

http://www.9calendar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2014-World-Cup-Calendar-2.jpg

http://www.9calendar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2014-World-Cup-Calendar-1.jpg

http://www.9calendar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2014-World-Cup-Calendar-10.jpg

Check out the full set here...

http://www.9calendar.com/2014-world-cup-calendar-and-wallpapers

Grimario
27-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Would appear we get some Stan Collymore on SBS this World Cup. Whoo. Love the guy + talksport coverage some of the best radio work doing football IMO.

furns
02-06-2014, 01:45 PM
retitled
Use this thread for anything WC not related to Australia

joel31
02-06-2014, 05:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsNlOFXE_xE&list=UUoun_HwBYeIhruANN_YrPKw&index=1

joel31
07-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Ribery and Reus now out of world cup

Premy
08-06-2014, 07:15 AM
So I get up nice and early on a Sunday morning for the England V Honduras game only for 22mins be played and now I have a 30min halt in play because of a thunder storm.

Premy
08-06-2014, 10:26 AM
A pretty lackluster performance by England who were hacked apart by a very aggressive Honduras that were lucky to have 11 men on the park for as long as they did. Surely not the type of game England would of wanted so close to the World Cup.

How in gods name did Welbeck get into this team the bloke was absolutely terrible, Rooney and Lallana worked there arse of getting back to defend and up to support Sturridge. Welbeck just walked around and didn't look interested, 1 week out from a World Cup you think you would be a little more inspired. When England did get the ball he made minimal runs and wasted most of the possession he had. The bloke should be shot.

England played with Sturridge up front by himself with Rooney on the right Welbeck on the Left and Lallana in behind.
Barkley was a step up when he came on and to put it nicely Rooney was pretty ordinary before he went off, if Barkley doesn't start in behind Sturridge Roy needs to give himself a uppercut. Lallana moved out to the right when Barkley came on and was solid he was definitely the stand out of the 3 in behind Sturridge. To me its should be Barkley in the middle, Lallana on the right or left and Sterling, Rooney or Henderson the other one starting out wide.

Henderson wasn't bad but Willshere was better when he came on for Gerrard at H/T those 3 were solid but could of been better. Willshere got sucked forward late in the game too which just clogged up Englands attack. If I was Roy Stevie and Jack would start the first game in the middle of the park.

Back 4 no problems teams will find it hard to score against England. Jagielka was found out a few times bringing the ball out of defense but I think against Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica he will entrust Gerrard to do that and worry about his defensive duties.

All in all I should have slept in.

lquiquer
09-06-2014, 09:10 PM
It's going the first real social media WC.... FB, Twitter, Instagram.....we won't know where to look!!!!

joel31
10-06-2014, 04:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy1rumvo9xc
Nike are on fire this World Cup with their ads

Imyourhero
10-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Australia paying $7.50 vs Chile?? I'm going for it!!

turbo
11-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Hello from the uk, long time no chat. Aye England look fairly average to be honest, Barkley would be my first name on the sheet but apparently Woys not sure. Bloke must want his head checked, Barkley plays without fear something no English player has done at the World cup since Gazza.

Bremsstrahlung
11-06-2014, 10:17 AM
The England squad looks pretty damn good.
Roy is just an inept manager.

Sturridge, Rooney, gerrard, Lallana and Barkley should all start. With players like sterling and Wellbeck on the bench it's seems a damn good squad to manage. IMO this is the best England team on paper for some time, minimal overrated big names and more in form younger players. If they had a different manager, I'd tip them to make the semis. However tough group and under Roy, they'd be lucky to make it out of their group.

Bon
11-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Not sure if its been posted elsewhere, but just in case anyone else needed a quick SBS broadcasting schedule for their wall..
(My boss just had me printing these badboys out for him and others in the office, haha)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sites/sbs.com.au.theworldgame/files/2014%20FIFA%20World%20Cup%20SBS%20Broadcast%20Sche due.pdf

joel31
11-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Not sure if its been posted elsewhere, but just in case anyone else needed a quick SBS broadcasting schedule for their wall..
(My boss just had me printing these badboys out for him and others in the office, haha)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sites/sbs.com.au.theworldgame/files/2014%20FIFA%20World%20Cup%20SBS%20Broadcast%20Sche due.pdf

you watch the football at work?

Bon
11-06-2014, 10:51 AM
you watch the football at work?

There has been talk about getting a tv tuner or settop box in.. :yay:

Premy
11-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Hello from the uk, long time no chat. Aye England look fairly average to be honest, Barkley would be my first name on the sheet but apparently Woys not sure. Bloke must want his head checked, Barkley plays without fear something no English player has done at the World cup since Gazza.
I agree Barkley should be in the team, bloke has been a stand out in a England shirt.

--------------------------Hart-----------------------------
Johnson---Lescott----Jagielka----Baines
----------Wilshere------------Gerrard--------------
Lallana------------Barkley--------------Rooney
----------------------Sturridge-------------------------

Jeterpool
12-06-2014, 08:15 AM
I wasn't sure whether or not to put this in it's own thread or not, so I put it in here.

2014 World Cup Predictor:

Group A Winner/Runner Up -
Group B Winner/Runner Up -
Group C Winner/Runner Up -
Group D Winner/Runner Up -
Group E Winner/Runner Up -
Group F Winner/Runner Up -
Group G Winner/Runner Up -
Group H Winner/Runner Up

World Cup Winner -
2nd Place -
3rd Place -

Golden Boot -
Player of Tournament (do they award this?)

Australia
How many goals will we score?
First Goal Scorer -
Most yellow cards -
First yellow card -
Score v Chile
Score v Holland
Score v Spain

Most Goals:
Messi or Ronaldo -
Neymar or Costa -
Suarez or Sturridge -
Muller or Giroud -
Van Persie or Lukaku -
Mandzukic or Dzeko
Yaya or Aguero -
Balotelli or Hernandez (MEX) -

Feel free to add others

turbo
12-06-2014, 12:57 PM
I wish I shared your optimism Brem, I think will do well to get out of the group.

Which brings me to my next point. Every four years when the World Cup comes around there's massive hype here that starts building months in advance almost to fever pitch by the time the tournament starts. We get accused of unrealistic expectations which boils my piss if I'm honest, people confuse expectation with hope. But this time round everything is so low key it's really strange. This can only be good for the team.

Bremsstrahlung
12-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Can we get a thread for all the groups like we did last time?

Bremsstrahlung
12-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Also, this is a career defining few weeks for Messi. Performs well and he will go down as one of the greats, but if he doesn't i don't think he will be remembered too highly in the future.

WolfMan
12-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Also, this is a career defining few weeks for Messi. Performs well and he will go down as one of the greats, but if he doesn't i don't think he will be remembered too highly in the future.

Wow. Really?

He could retire tomorrow and still be remembered as one of the most skillful players ever to play the game, IMHO

joel31
12-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Group A Winner/Runner Up - Brazil/Croatia
Group B Winner/Runner Up - Spain/Chile
Group C Winner/Runner Up - Colombia/Ivory Coast
Group D Winner/Runner Up - Italy/England
Group E Winner/Runner Up - France/Switzerland
Group F Winner/Runner Up - Argentina/Bosnia
Group G Winner/Runner Up - Germany/Ghana
Group H Winner/Runner Up - Belgium/Russia

World Cup Winner - Brazil
2nd Place - Spain
3rd Place - Argentina

Golden Boot - Neymar
Player of Tournament - Neymar

Australia
How many goals will we score? 2
First Goal Scorer - Cahill
Most yellow cards - Jedinak
First yellow card - Wilkinson
Score v Chile 0-3 loss
Score v Holland 1-2 loss
Score v Spain 1-3 loss

Most Goals:
Messi or Ronaldo - Messi
Neymar or Costa - Neymar
Suarez or Sturridge - Sturridge
Muller or Giroud - Muller
Van Persie or Lukaku - Lukaku
Mandzukic or Dzeko - tie
Yaya or Aguero - Aguero
Balotelli or Hernandez (MEX) - Balotelli

Bremsstrahlung
12-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Wow. Really?

He could retire tomorrow and still be remembered as one of the most skillful players ever to play the game, IMHO

Sure, he will go down as a brilliant player, no doubt about it. But if he wants to be in the same mould as Ronaldo, maradona, Zidane, he needs to perform on the world stage.

Bremsstrahlung
12-06-2014, 06:35 PM

Group D Winner/Runner Up - England/Italy
Group G Winner/Runner Up - Germany/Portugal
Group H Winner/Runner Up - Belgium/Russia

World Cup Winner - Brazil
2nd Place - Germany
3rd Place - Argentina
4th Place - Spain

Golden Boot - Neymar
Player of Tournament - Neymar

Australia
How many goals will we score? 2
First Goal Scorer - Jedinak
Most yellow cards - Franjic
First yellow card - Franjic
Score v Chile 0-3 loss
Score v Holland 1-2 loss
Score v Spain 1-4 loss

Most Goals:
Messi or Ronaldo - Messi
Neymar or Costa - Neymar
Suarez or Sturridge - Suarez (ROY will probably prefer Wellbeck)
Muller or Giroud - Giroud
Mandzukic or Dzeko - Dzeko
Yaya or Aguero - Aguero

Pretty much the same as Joel.

Bremsstrahlung
12-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Group D Winner/Runner Up - Italy/England
Group G Winner/Runner Up - Germany/Japan

Japan are in Group C.

joel31
12-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Japan are in Group C.
I meant Ghana. fixed it up now

pv4
12-06-2014, 07:23 PM
World Cup Winner - Croatia
2nd Place - Spain
3rd Place - Argentina

Golden Boot - Dzeko
Player of Tournament - Modric

Australia
How many goals will we score? 3
First Goal Scorer - Oar
Most yellow cards - Jedi
First yellow card - jedi
Score v Chile 2-2 draw
Score v Holland 1-3 loss
Score v Spain 0-3 loss

Most Goals:
Messi or Ronaldo - Ronaldo
Neymar or Costa - Neymar
Suarez or Sturridge - Suarez
Muller or Giroud - giroud
Van Persie or Lukaku - rvp
Yaya or Aguero - Aguero
Balotelli or Hernandez (MEX) - Hernandez

turbo
12-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Sure, he will go down as a brilliant player, no doubt about it. But if he wants to be in the same mould as Ronaldo, maradona, Zidane, he needs to perform on the world stage.

I remember a couple of years ago when Barca were flying, people were saying Messi could be the greatest player of all time. As good as he is I just cannot see how he can be rated higher than Maradona, if Messi wins the World Cup single handed then we talk about him being a contender lol.

Imyourhero
12-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Coming from a point for view of somebody not apart of Maradona's era, in terms of world cup winning contenders at the time were Argentina easily the top team/ one of the top few teams at that time? If so i feel like it's unfair to base Messi on the context of Maradona's era as although Argentina are contenders they aren't "easily" a world cup winning team atm. Imagine if Messi was Australian, a team inferior to the rest of the world, the comparison wouldn't even be put out there.

turbo
12-06-2014, 08:46 PM
The Argentina side that won the World Cup in '86 were not regarded as a top contender. Aside from Maradona they were crap!

plague
12-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Coming from a point for view of somebody not apart of Maradona's era, in terms of world cup winning contenders at the time were Argentina easily the top team/ one of the top few teams at that time? If so i feel like it's unfair to base Messi on the context of Maradona's era as although Argentina are contenders they aren't "easily" a world cup winning team atm. Imagine if Messi was Australian, a team inferior to the rest of the world, the comparison wouldn't even be put out there.

Maradona >Zidane >Ronaldo >Messi>Ronaldo

Premy
12-06-2014, 08:59 PM
"That Eusébio was a shit player he never one the World Cup" said no one ever.

Premy
12-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Michael Bridges> Maradona >Zidane >Ronaldo >Messi>RonaldoFixed

weston
12-06-2014, 11:43 PM

Group A Winner/Runner Up - Bazil/Mexico
Group B Winner/Runner Up - Spain/Netherlans
Group C Winner/Runner Up - Greece/Colombia
Group D Winner/Runner Up - Uruguay/Italy (though i do hope england get through)
Group E Winner/Runner Up - France/Ecuador
Group F Winner/Runner Up - Argentina/Nigeria
Group G Winner/Runner Up - Germany/Portugal
Group H Winner/Runner Up Belgium/Korea Rep.

World Cup Winner - Argentina
2nd Place - Brazil
3rd Place - Spain

Golden Boot - Aguerro
Player of Tournament (do they award this?) Neymar

Australia
How many goals will we score? 1
First Goal Scorer - Tim Cahill
Most yellow cards - Mile Jedinak
First yellow card - Mile Jedinak
Score v Chile- 1-1
Score v Holland - 2-0 Holland
Score v Spain - 5-0 Spain

Most Goals:
Messi or Ronaldo - Messi
Neymar or Costa - Costa
Suarez or Sturridge - Suarez
Muller or Giroud - Giroud
Yaya or Aguero - Aguerro

seldom
13-06-2014, 12:59 AM
I remember a couple of years ago when Barca were flying, people were saying Messi could be the greatest player of all time. As good as he is I just cannot see how he can be rated higher than Maradona, if Messi wins the World Cup single handed then we talk about him being a contender lol.

I see what you did there

joel31
13-06-2014, 04:32 AM
Such cheating. Juggling with a string

plague
13-06-2014, 05:24 AM
"That Eusébio was a shit player he never one the World Cup" said no one ever.

Sorry, meant to say that I was rating players I've seen. I've no idea on old timely dudes other than TV and other old timely guys yelling at me that fish and chips used to be 20c etc etc etc.

Plus football was invented in 1991 anyway.

Grimario
13-06-2014, 05:33 AM
Plus football was invented in 1991 anyway.

Everyone knows RBB invented football 2 years ago.

belchardo
13-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Is the commentary about 1 second early? He was calling own goal before it had even been played for the final time!

Noticed it on a corner call earlier as well.

Bremsstrahlung
13-06-2014, 06:15 AM
Yehp. Marcelo is a character. Big old grin after the OG. Croatia happy to counter, and look dangerous too IMO.

weston
13-06-2014, 06:17 AM
Is the commentary about 1 second early? He was calling own goal before it had even been played for the final time!

I've only noticed that with the goal.

belchardo
13-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Its really annoying.

Seems only a matter of time before Brazil score.

belchardo
13-06-2014, 06:26 AM

Noticed it whem Oscar shot was hit and saved too.

Bremsstrahlung
13-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Brilliant by Neymar.
He's made up for ruining my fantasy by getting a yellow.

Jeterpool
13-06-2014, 06:32 AM

Yeah I noticed too

plague
13-06-2014, 07:23 AM

Nah, Martin Tyler can just see the future.
He's very good.

Jeterpool
13-06-2014, 07:30 AM
No pen for me. Only thing Fred has done all night.

plague
13-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Oscar has been good I reackon.

plague
13-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Nico Kovac looks sharp too.

Jeterpool
13-06-2014, 07:40 AM

Agree.

Croatians surrounding the ref isn't a good sight

leftrightout
13-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Yeah agree, i think he has probably been the best out there.

Bremsstrahlung
13-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Not a bad game overall. Gives me hope that a team like Brazil can look pretty average at times. Croatia did well though, big game for them against Mexico.
Something really needs to be done about this diving stuff though. They rave on about Fifa fair play all the time, the only time you see it is when a player is injured and you boot a ball back to their keeper. These guys are so incredibly strong and have great core strength, yet go down so easily. Retrospective bans, video appeal system or behind goal referees who have some guts to make a call.
Highlight was the ref pulling out his spray can and drawing a line 10yds out.

Ps. Agree, Oscar was their best today. Luiz did well too. At least the media get some ammo for their Neymar love-in.

turbo
13-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Never a penalty in a million years.

I'd like to know how touching a blokes shoulder makes his ankles go floppy?

Bon
13-06-2014, 09:02 AM

This exactly..

joel31
13-06-2014, 09:23 AM
soft penalty
Oscar MOTM for me

Retro Jet
13-06-2014, 09:24 AM
I thought Olic's? jump over Cesar later in the game was a fair challenge too.
Happy the host scores 2 legit goals 'cause to win with that soft as puss pen would have been a blight on the game.

Bon
13-06-2014, 09:29 AM

Its pretty obvious..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAWOpSkQQek

plague
13-06-2014, 10:02 AM
As someone who backed the over for penalties given, the under for penalties saved, and the over for tournament goals, today was a very very very good start.

belchardo
13-06-2014, 10:31 AM

while I agree it was soft as and he made the most of it (he was also holding his shirt I think), I'm conflicted by these type of penalties. I want that type of thing pulled up anywhere on the field. you only need your hands in two situations: you're the keeper, or you're taking a throw in. perhaps I'm being naively idealistic, but I think the game would be better for it. while I want them pulled up, I also want the penalty to be missed/saved if the foul was in the box, cause it's soft as and no way to lose/win a game.

I thought Olic's? jump over Cesar later in the game was a fair challenge too.
Happy the host scores 2 legit goals 'cause to win with that soft as puss pen would have been a blight on the game.

agree with both points. sick of refs giving free kicks for legitimate challenges on keepers. swap a defender for the keeper and no free would have been given. keeper went all flappy and dropped it under very minimal contact.

was a nice goal to finish, still can't decide if the keeper stuffed up or the shot was that good.

GazFish35
13-06-2014, 11:20 AM
ned Zelic summed it up best when asked if it was a soft penalty...... No. it wasnt a soft penalty...... because it wasnt a penalty. it cant be soft if it wasnt a penalty in the first place

Bremsstrahlung
13-06-2014, 12:05 PM
I know it's brought up a lot, but do you see any value in having a video referral system for incidents resulting in goals/penalties. For mine, there would need to be a redevelopment in the laws of the game to be more black and white. OR perhaps we just need referees to come out, with the support of fifa, and enforce the rules. e.g. today, we've been conditioned to believe that it was not a penalty. however, hands were on him pulling him ever so slightly, which in the laws, is a FK or pen.

Pros:
Stops these things happening.
May stop people diving around. (I think there needs to be differentiation between playing for contact, putting your body in a position where it will get contact, I think is a talent and should be kept, it's the blatant dives that you want to get rid of.)

Cons:
Slows the game down (I'd like to see teams given 3 subs + 1 review. If they review, and get it wrong, they must risk a substitute to challenge again. or just make it 3 subs and you risk a substitute to review.)
Removes the human element which is what we pride ourselves on.
The laws are too open to interpretation and slowing things down and overanalysing would probably result in not many changes occurring.(e.g the one overnight, there's hands on his shoulders pulling, and in the laws of the game, to pull an opponent is a direct free kick. therefore penalty)

At the end of the day, the players have a goal to try and deceive the referee into giving a penalty. We need to change this mentality. It's all well and good to say it's up to the referees to police this, but it's hard when instead of playing a game, 22 players are trying to deceive, corrupt and confuse you.

I remember hearing something once, about a weekly review of games, where the football governing body, be it FA or FFA go through the weeks games and highlight scenarios where players try to deceive the referee.
For instance, how often do you see players kick the ball out for a corner, pretend its a goal kick then rage at the referee. The idea is that these players, give an apology. Similarly, referees name a few decisions that were wrong. e.g todays game where the Croatian was pulled up for hand ball, when replays show it clearly came off his head.

I think one word needs to be enforced. Consistency.

The Dunster
13-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Defender grabbed the attacking player to inhibit his movement. Penalty.
Croatia took a chance and it didn't pay off.

parksey
13-06-2014, 12:48 PM
pretty boring game tbh

belchardo
13-06-2014, 01:15 PM
I know it's brought up a lot, but do you see any value in having a video referral system for incidents resulting in goals/penalties. For mine, there would need to be a redevelopment in the laws of the game to be more black and white. OR perhaps we just need referees to come out, with the support of fifa, and enforce the rules. e.g. today, we've been conditioned to believe that it was not a penalty. however, hands were on him pulling him ever so slightly, which in the laws, is a FK or pen.

Pros:
Stops these things happening.
May stop people diving around. (I think there needs to be differentiation between playing for contact, putting your body in a position where it will get contact, I think is a talent and should be kept, it's the blatant dives that you want to get rid of.)

Cons:
Slows the game down (I'd like to see teams given 3 subs + 1 review. If they review, and get it wrong, they must risk a substitute to challenge again. or just make it 3 subs and you risk a substitute to review.)
Removes the human element which is what we pride ourselves on.
The laws are too open to interpretation and slowing things down and overanalysing would probably result in not many changes occurring.(e.g the one overnight, there's hands on his shoulders pulling, and in the laws of the game, to pull an opponent is a direct free kick. therefore penalty)

At the end of the day, the players have a goal to try and deceive the referee into giving a penalty. We need to change this mentality. It's all well and good to say it's up to the referees to police this, but it's hard when instead of playing a game, 22 players are trying to deceive, corrupt and confuse you.

I remember hearing something once, about a weekly review of games, where the football governing body, be it FA or FFA go through the weeks games and highlight scenarios where players try to deceive the referee.
For instance, how often do you see players kick the ball out for a corner, pretend its a goal kick then rage at the referee. The idea is that these players, give an apology. Similarly, referees name a few decisions that were wrong. e.g todays game where the Croatian was pulled up for hand ball, when replays show it clearly came off his head.

I think one word needs to be enforced. Consistency.

would also like to see a yellow card for anybody appealing to the ref for another player to be given a yellow card. sick of that shit.

plague
13-06-2014, 03:02 PM
would also like to see a yellow card for anybody appealing to the ref for another player to be given a yellow card. sick of that shit.

I thought this was already a bookable offence, refs have just dont enforce it. (They should though)

Also as for video ref: no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no and no.

Don't mind the goal line technology though.

GazFish35
13-06-2014, 03:34 PM

I do believe I heard the referee call "contact! Goad defence! penalty pass or shot"

hawk
13-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Brazil did it 4 times and didnt concede 4 pens. What now?

pv4
13-06-2014, 04:16 PM
pretty great game tbh

Croatia would and should feel extremely hard done by with the ref. If brazil get those gem decisions the whole tournament, they'll be hard to beat. Bad ref decisions imo:
- penalty. Not a penalty ever
- Neymars yellow card, if any Croatian player, would have been a red
- the foul on the Croatian in the leadup to Oscars goal would have been given if it was the opposing teams
- perisic denied a goal for a non-foul with that header by Olic.

Take away the pen and give perisics goal and it's 2-1.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game though. Luiz was my standout. Brazil piled the pressure on and croatia dealt with it mostly. Were good on the counter too.

goaliepersempre
13-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Basically the Nike ad at the moment risk everything... sums up everything why i want as little amount of technology in the game... It will become boring.................

As for the penalty im sure ive seen some of you guys claim one in similar circumstances in other leagues not just at the world cup. They can be given they cannot... The game was very physical and there was alot of challanges let go.

So criticism to ref can be somewhat justified in a few areas...

Croatia played some good hard football at times and Olic the machine running all day. But a stupid error almost gave the Brazilians a great chance to score... That being said other then a couple of saves in the last 4 minutes of the game. Balls where put into the area but not completely imo threatening. Rakitic and Modric awesome in the middle for 60 mins of the game. But for players like them to play physical pressing for entire 90 minutes would be taxing..

Brazil well lets put it down to nerves before playing infront of there own crowd and all the political pressures going on too. Each half first 15-20 minutes very slow but then when they turned it on. Can see why they are favourites. Also similar to the league games quality comes through when you win and you dont play your best...

Oscar was great... Lol would have dragged paulinho earlier rubbish...

Most Likely TL DR and a mish mash of ideas... So glad the world cup is finally here....... :) 1 week and im there :)

goaliepersempre
13-06-2014, 05:48 PM
pretty great game tbh

Croatia would and should feel extremely hard done by with the ref. If brazil get those gem decisions the whole tournament, they'll be hard to beat. Bad ref decisions imo:
- penalty. Not a penalty ever (seen them given seen them not, was contact and not just arm on shoulder, just before you can also see lower part of shirt being pulled)
- Neymars yellow card, if any Croatian player, would have been a red (ahem they did and no card given and not on marcelo)
- the foul on the Croatian in the leadup to Oscars goal would have been given if it was the opposing teams (hard challenge precedent set earlier in game, let it play, need to look at it again a bit closer)
- perisic denied a goal for a non-foul with that header by Olic. (was a foul)

Take away the pen and give perisics goal and it's 2-1.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game though. Luiz was my standout. Brazil piled the pressure on and croatia dealt with it mostly. Were good on the counter too.

I think there where many challenges that went through and both sides had some decisions go against them.. (some of the throw in and corner/goal kick decisions where a little strange but for both sides.

There where a couple of challenges in there that I thought some of the Croats where lucky not to get more cards...

I thought as per my initial opinions, credit where credit is due on croatia but did feel that Brazil ultimately albeit not best performance deserved the win.

But with Mandzukic back that is very tasty

Olic Mandzukic Perisic

Modric Rakitic

hawk
13-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Kovac - "We talk about respect, that wasn't respect, Croatia didn't get any. If that's a penalty, we don't need to play football anymore. Let's play basketball instead. It's a shame.

After the watching the Confed cup Brazil have won the WC already. What a waste of fkn time.

said this ages ago and it appears its started already. ref did pretty well all game cept for a couple of favours for homes. neymar = turd

Jeterpool
13-06-2014, 07:46 PM
soft penalty
Oscar MOTM for me

This

Jeterpool
13-06-2014, 07:48 PM

Yep

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 02:50 AM
what a game to pick +3.5 goals. Offsides all round gee whizz

Grimario
14-06-2014, 03:00 AM
If this is the standard of officiating at the biggest tournament in football, maybe our lot here in the HAL are just on par with this bunch of **** ups?

Such shitty officiating, 2 games from 2 with pretty awful decisions.

Premy
14-06-2014, 05:10 AM
Oh dear Sneijder should have buried that.

belchardo
14-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Seeing a lot of empty seats.

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 05:28 AM
****ing hell would love to see that again....looks a dive

Premy
14-06-2014, 05:32 AM
Normal speed I thought, penalty
Super slow motion I thought, dive

Hard to blame the ref for that one.

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 05:33 AM
yeah agreed, first thought was you idiot defender......leaning dive now. Still silly defending

belchardo
14-06-2014, 05:36 AM
Likewise.

No pen for me. Great bit of gamesmanship. You can take the man out of Brazil...

turbo
14-06-2014, 05:37 AM
The way Costa counter-acted his natural movement to leave his foot in the challenge is actually a very skilled move. It doesn't alter the fact that it's unsportsman-like, and he's a cheating ****.

No pen, play on, yellow card to the striker at the next stoppage. Everyone wants this so why can't we have it?

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 05:39 AM
The only way to sort it is retrospective punishments. Too hard at the time as we just saw, we all thought it was a pen initially.

pv4
14-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Freds pen at first glance, replay, etc never looked like a pen.

At least Costas at first glance looked like one. Did well to earn it.

pv4
14-06-2014, 05:41 AM
The only way to sort it is retrospective punishments. Too hard at the time as we just saw, we all thought it was a pen initially.

Agreed

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 05:42 AM
Van Persie looks rubbish. Got to love robben but

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 05:44 AM
Van Persie looks rubbish. Got to love robben but

Great call baz

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 05:45 AM
That was superb

Bremsstrahlung
14-06-2014, 05:45 AM
What a ball. Equally good header. Dutch playing pretty well considering all the speculation about how poor they would be. Look pretty competent to me.

belchardo
14-06-2014, 05:46 AM
Nice goal.

KUTGW baz :tongue:

weston
14-06-2014, 05:47 AM
Great goal.

Premy
14-06-2014, 06:01 AM
Van Persie looks rubbish. Got to love robben butHe was definitely quite before the goal, geez wasn't that some finish but. Just as I was thinking the game was a little dour and questioning why I got up early Van Persie pulls that out and reminds me why.

I think the Dutch have been a little unlucky with the ref. I don't think they have been over physical, the Spanish players are throwing themselves to the ground soon as they get a little contact. Absolute disgrace... Alonso has gone soft since going to Madrid FFS gone are the days of a strong challenge cheating chunts.

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:03 AM
I'm really hating on Spain ey

Premy
14-06-2014, 06:05 AM
I'm really hating on Spain ey
+1 soft cunce

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:11 AM
I love that man

weston
Spain getting carved up by the long ball. Wouldn't of thought that.

la bazzle
What a class act

Premy
14-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Robben :wub:

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:13 AM
Robben :wub:

What a man

belchardo
14-06-2014, 06:13 AM
LOL glad the Netherlands is going to be our "easy" match.

belchardo
14-06-2014, 06:15 AM
Awesome control

belchardo
14-06-2014, 06:17 AM
Does anybody know why both sides are in the alternate strip?

Bremsstrahlung
14-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Costa needs to come off. Hasn't done much cept get a penalty and headbutt mertens.

Something about robben irks me. Persie with a bullet albeit offside

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:20 AM
Something about robben irks me.

He's one of those players that when he's on your side he's a legend......if he's against you can be khunt like. Theyre my favorite players, like griff

pv4
14-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Does anybody know why both sides are in the alternate strip?

Spains main kit is all red and alternate kit all black. Apparently fifa had a fit at them because they demand every team have a light and dark shade kit and deem both spains kits to be dark. So even though spain are considered the home team here, fifa have deemed red vs blue to be clashing (wat) so have made spain make an emergency third kit.

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Get in!!!!

Jeterpool
14-06-2014, 06:22 AM
And we've got the Spanish next up who will be looking to make amends.

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:23 AM
now lets hope RVP gets a 2nd yellow lolololol

Jeterpool
14-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Still, cracking game. Spain tiki taka all over the place while the Dutch go more direct and with speed.

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:24 AM
And we've got the Spanish next up who will be looking to make amends.

Dont we have them last?

belchardo
14-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Shit are in so much trouble.

Contact on casillis there, should have veen a free kick. Or is that only the case if you're brazilian? :tongue:

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:25 AM
lolololool unluckyyyyyy

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:25 AM
great call

belchardo
14-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Dont we have them last?

Yep. Jeterpool as dodgy as some of the penalty calls so far :sup:

Premy
14-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Something about robben irks me.
Is that a Batman quote?

P.S Get in

P.P.S lol

P.P.P.S now kick the **** out of each other and get injured or suspended.

pv4
14-06-2014, 06:27 AM
So no one fouled Casillas just then but Olic fouled Cesar yesterday. Yeah, good consistency fifa refs

la bazzle
P.P.P.S now kick the **** out of each other and get injured or suspended.

This please

Jeterpool
The amount of appealing and surrounding the ref excessively is going to get worse as the tournament progresses if not nipped in the bud now

Jeterpool
14-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Yep. Jeterpool as dodgy as some of the penalty calls so far :sup:

I'm making my own draw up. Let me be.

pv4
14-06-2014, 06:28 AM
The amount of appealing and surrounding the ref excessively is going to get worse as the tournament progresses if not nipped in the bud now

:rof: you clearly don't watch enough spanish league. This is nothing

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:29 AM
****ing lolololololololololol!!!

Jeterpool
14-06-2014, 06:30 AM
:rof: you clearly don't watch enough spanish league. This is nothing

I don't, you're right.

ha ha ha ha ha!

belchardo
Lololololololololololololololololol

Bremsstrahlung
Holy wow. Capitulation.

la bazzle
This is ridic!!! That touch!!

belchardo
14-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Anybody got a bet on this scoreline?????

Premy
14-06-2014, 06:31 AM
So no one fouled Casillas just then but Olic fouled Cesar yesterday. Yeah, good consistency fifa refs
Olic was in the back- Clear Foul

Van Persie was a clean jump shoulder to shoulder- Play on

Nothing wrong with either calls IMO

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 06:33 AM
old mate complaining about foam on his boot, brilliant

Bremsstrahlung
14-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Lol at mertens raging at the ref for spraying his boot with the 10 yd line hahaha

belchardo
14-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Dutch defender giving the ref a serve for spraying his boots. This game has everything.:roflz:

Premy
14-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Torres should have been booked FFS

pv4
14-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Olic was in the back- Clear Foul

Van Persie was a clean jump shoulder to shoulder- Play on

Nothing wrong with either calls IMO

Olic in the back?

pv4
14-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Looool at all the Manure fans repping the Dutch hard on my fscebook wall. This is the only thing they've had to be excited about all year.

Jeterpool
14-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Oh wow. Just WOW!!!

la bazzle
What a legend.....wow that speed!!!!

boz-monaut
woke up to this scoreline

we've got the mettle on the Dutch and we're going to smoke Spain when we play them

I can see us topping the group

shit, 5 - ****ing 5

Premy
14-06-2014, 06:38 AM
5-1 wow never seen that coming.

We can beat Spain lol

Bremsstrahlung
Oh wow. How much was Dutch 5-1 paying.

Jeterpool
RIP Tiki Taka. Died 13.06.14

Bremsstrahlung
14-06-2014, 06:41 AM
Commentator rubbbbbbbing it in hahaha

Bremsstrahlung
14-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Robben volley :0 how was that not 6

Premy
14-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Lol Torres

Jeterpool
14-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Torres :blush:

Blackmac79
14-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Far out. That's a game that keeps you awake.

Grimario
14-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Oh wow. How much was Dutch 5-1 paying.

500-1 appaz

pv4
14-06-2014, 07:08 AM
That was brilliant defending, nothing lol about Torres, imo.

Jeterpool
14-06-2014, 07:10 AM
That was brilliant defending, nothing lol about Torres, imo.

Without a doubt. But still, it's torres.

la bazzle
14-06-2014, 07:15 AM
That defending summed up the game and they celebrated it like a goal too. Brilliant game

turbo
14-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Are you guys getting the goal line technology animations? FIFA got a new toy lolz. :lol:

Grimario
14-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Are you guys getting the goal line technology animations? FIFA got a new toy lolz. :lol:

Yeah, they are fantastic(ally hilarious).

"Here is the exact moment that it was a goal! (Before it smashed into the back of the net)"

turbo
14-06-2014, 07:25 AM
There was at least three goals tonight where i was unsure it had crossed the line though. :lol:

furns
14-06-2014, 08:51 AM
errr we have a Socceroos WC thread ppl

turbo
15-06-2014, 04:07 AM
Welbeck starts, god help us.

Jeterpool
15-06-2014, 06:54 AM
Uruguay :blush: well done Costa Rica

belchardo
15-06-2014, 06:57 AM
You can always depend on Uruguay to go dirty when the chips are down.

lquiquer
15-06-2014, 06:59 AM
That red card.... Sorry I didn't mean to!!!... :yeahright::whistling::lol::redcard:

Grimario
15-06-2014, 07:00 AM
I don't think I could ever tire of Uruguay losing and having mental breakdowns.

And how the **** Joel Campbell gets shunted out on loan so Yaya Sanogo can get a run is beyond me.

baldrick
15-06-2014, 07:14 AM
I don't think I could ever tire of Uruguay losing and having mental breakdowns

This.

And how the **** Joel Campbell gets shunted out on loan so Yaya Sanogo can get a run is beyond me.

And this.

Grimario
15-06-2014, 07:18 AM
And before anyone replies with "duh, work permit"... he got one before last season.

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/07/campbell-finally-receives-work-permit/

belchardo
15-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Noticed that the uruguayan keeper didn't dive for two of costa Ricas goals...

WolfMan
15-06-2014, 07:29 AM
What a match that was. Had everything from sublime skill to ridiculous brain-melts.

Joel Campbell...phwoarrr. And Costa Rica's GK was very good.

Thought Cavani played the best in a losing side. Forlan looked good for the time he was on too.

Cannot stand Uruguay's captain at the back there. Looks and acts like a dirty grub

Jeterpool
15-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Wellbeck...geez. Thought Lallana would have started.

Bremsstrahlung
15-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Interesting starting lineup. Pretty much juventus vs liverpool.
Interested to see how Sterling goes, same for Henderson. Very excited from a Liverpool perspective. Will be good to see how Johnson plays with some decent centre halves.
Should be a cracking game.
Wouldn't mind seeing Rooney and Sterling swap. Haven't seen too much of Rooney, but he doesn't strike me as a winger.

Jeterpool
15-06-2014, 08:25 AM
England looking alright. Italy down the right too.

Bremsstrahlung
15-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Few good chances. Rooney MIA.

Bremsstrahlung
15-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Boom! Clever corner.
C'mon England!

Jeterpool
15-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Tidy finish

Jeterpool
15-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Few good chances. Rooney MIA.

He woke up

Bremsstrahlung
15-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Some reply! Sterling's ball :0. Rooneys cross :0 sturridge finish :0.
Someone injured in celebration? Only the physio haha.