PDA

View Full Version : Select side competion

Premy
18-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Ok it's been mentioned in a few threads now so I thought I would give it, it's very own thread. What's everyone's thoughts on having a select side for every division in a round robin style competion at seasons end. Discus everything from whom should be selected to favored format.

Premy
18-07-2013, 08:56 PM
My favorite format would be 2 groups of 4
NBN
NewFm
ZPL
ZL1
ZL2
ZL3
Far North Coast
Mid North Coast

Top teams from each group play in the final
35 min halves
Played on the one weekend

Rocko
18-07-2013, 09:10 PM
As for selections it would just be how the NBN select team is chosen?

EH9
18-07-2013, 10:04 PM
I would watch

pv4
18-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Would prefer grand final winners and first place from each comp tbh. Easier to organise, rewards the top performing teams, etc

howardyou
19-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Would you watch a comp where the Premier League Champions played the Championship and lower division winners. I probably wouldn't.

Premy
19-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I agree a comp with all the winners would only apeal to those clubs where as select sides would generate far more interest

Local Rules
19-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Also something like this would give exposure to higher leagues of players that may not have been considered by the higher level clubs.

cobra23
19-07-2013, 09:45 AM
shit idea,

teams dont take the state cup serious where there is prize money up for grabs,
why would they bother about letting there best players go when they rest them in state cup games.

punter
19-07-2013, 09:47 AM
shit idea,

teams dont take the state cup serious where there is prize money up for grabs,
why would they bother about letting there best players go when they rest them in state cup games.

it would be great only if all players made them selves available and took it serious, which will never happen.
If it was to happen the state cup weekend last week would be a great time to do it with no local games on.
for all the new fm nockers i think there select side would surprise a lot, they could easily get a side together with all players having a lot of nbn experience.
I watched toronto play some time a go and scott baily was easily there best player, might b old but can still play, 4 good keepers to pick from and the top 3 clubs would have plenty of players to pick from. shane paul, shearers at bel swans, ben martin and the fletcher boys at maitland, matt paul and a number of others at adamstown. there would be others but dont know them all in newfm. Nbn would be to stronger but i think if some one here could compile a ZPL side that would beat a new fm side ide be suprised.

Premy
19-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Todd Macmanus ZPL Captian

backstick
19-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Todd Macmanus ZPL Captian

Who does Todd Play for in ZPL?

russjaybee
19-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Select side wont work, especially for lower divs. Who would select the players? Doubt you would have anyone that gets to see all teams etc. Would be pretty fractious.

Winners / Champs could work and would be interesting to see, better chance of that working. Though I don't really think it's a plausible comp. Assume it would be pretty soon after post-season. Most players that have just won a GF / Premiership want to switch off and have a break, not go play a team from potentially several divisions higher in what is not much more than a dead rubber.

Next.

Premy
19-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Who does Todd Play for in ZPL?

I'm under the impression he still plays for Swansea.

hawk
21-07-2013, 12:02 PM
imagine the sfight when picking and omitting players from each grade.

punter
21-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Select side wont work, especially for lower divs. Who would select the players? Doubt you would have anyone that gets to see all teams etc. Would be pretty fractious.

Winners / Champs could work and would be interesting to see, better chance of that working. Though I don't really think it's a plausible comp. Assume it would be pretty soon after post-season. Most players that have just won a GF / Premiership want to switch off and have a break, not go play a team from potentially several divisions higher in what is not much more than a dead rubber.

Next.

The idea of select side is to get the best players from that division together for a game..... I doubt the best team in a division below would compete with the best team in a division higher. Maybe a select side could

ManUTDSupporter
21-07-2013, 06:07 PM
imagine the sfight when picking and omitting players from each grade.
It's not hard! General forum chat and inputs, selecting the best from the comp with some back ups in case some are unavailable. Pick a coach, pick the best grounds and each team has sponsor for a kit? Why everyone making it sound so difficult?
Would attract good grounds and allows the best to play together

Captain_Carl
19-11-2021, 01:07 PM
There are some great ideas here. Definitely worth revisiting.