PDA

View Full Version : Invite to Jets active support forum

scarfy96
26-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Just in via email, assume it went to all members.

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets will host an active support forum at Newcastle Panthers on Thursday, September 5 starting at 6pm.

All Jets Members and supporters interested in active support are welcome to attend the forum and voice their opinion on a variety of active support topics.

The forum is also an opportunity for those Jets fans that are new to the concept of active support to get a better understanding of how active support works and how they can get involved.

Representatives from the Newcastle Jets, including members of the playing staff will be in attendance on the night.

Through songs, banners and tifo displays, active supporters bring a truly unique level of noise, colour and passion to football stadiums around the world.

Hunter Stadium is no exception to this, with Newcastle Jets players having fed off the energy and passion of the crowd for the past eight A-League seasons.

The Newcastle Jets aim to continue growing the Club’s active support base to ensure Hunter Stadium becomes a fortress for the Jets and an intimidating place for opposition teams to come and play.

The upcoming forum is a chance for Jets supporters who are passionate about active support to play their part in shaping the match day atmosphere at Hunter Stadium for the upcoming A-League season and beyond.

Note:

No prior registration is required to attend the forum. All Jets Members and supporters have to do is turn up on the night and have their say!
The forum is being held to discuss active support only and other Club matters will not be discussed at this particular forum.

joel31
26-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Its for past members as well cause i got one

Grimario
26-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Its for past members as well cause i got one

That's just because they don't take past members off their distribution list. I still get them for people I had on my account 3 years ago. I get 4 emails... and I can't unsubscribe my email because I still want them for ME, just not the other 3 people that used to be on it.

And I get 4 letters every time a mail out is done, way to destroy the environment and waste overhead money, HSG.

Pico
26-08-2013, 03:22 PM
That's just because they don't take past members off their distribution list. I still get them for people I had on my account 3 years ago. I get 4 emails... and I can't unsubscribe my email because I still want them for ME, just not the other 3 people that used to be on it.

And I get 4 letters every time a mail out is done, way to destroy the environment and waste overhead money, HSG.

See this is how you can make savings so you can sack the coach.

Superdylan
26-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Good idea sending emails to all jets members, everyone should know about it now. Personal invites should get more people along aswell. Let's hope a fairly decent number turns up.

Blackmac79
27-08-2013, 02:07 PM
SD please stay away from this forum. We are trying to encourage more people to join and debunk myths.

On second thoughts you could come but a paper bag may be needed.

hausmann
27-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Can't see the players having a lot to say at this. Maybe they'll just sink a couple of schooners and sneak off to the pokies.

militiamon
07-09-2013, 12:40 PM
For those who missed it, here's my view of what happened on the night. I didn't take any notes so I probably forgot all of the important points. For the most part I tried to keep out personal bias but some things were too much. Feel free to call me out if you think I misrepresented something.

Who was there

On the panel:

- Aaron Kearney who was chair/moderator of the discussion
- Robbie Middleby
- Jets Media Manager (or something along those lines)
- Ray Baartz
- Taylor Regan

In the audience:

- Club peeps who work in stadium management (ticketing), social media, match day entertainment
- Bay 2 peeps (regulars, part-timers, past members)
- Families (e.g mothers with kids, older couples)
- Random younger people
- Hamma, SD
- No Zads Lads or other supporter groups from what I could see

Run down of what happened (starts chronologically)

- Aaron Kearney tried to start the discussion off with the definition of active support. Rossy was the first to have his say, furns tried to explain things more clearly later, but it didn't really go anywhere quickly.

- Opening shots were fired by Tobedog and Baartz, starting with swearing in chants and then moving on to why Bay 2 isn't 'family friendly'. The discussion quickly turned into an 'airing of grievances' with The Squadron and it was pretty much like that for the rest of the night.

- Being 'family friendly' was discussed for a while with not a whole lot of input from Bay 2 peeps. Kearney concluded that a primary aim of active support should be that it is family friendly. Asked us if we agreed, we said "not really", explained why.

- Next major topic was the seating situation with The Squadron and Bay 2. Frustration from many in the audience (especially those not in Bay 2) about it not being designated GA or being easily accessible. Moving to the Southern Hill was inevitably raised. Club responded with the fact that the FFA mandates seated and 'enclosed' active support areas, but they were also quick to point out that the FFA were trialing GA active support areas this season. Evidently, this was not being trialed with us.

- Discussion kept returning to being family friendly, inclusive, and expanding the size of The Squadron and spreading active support to other bays. Without sounding too dismissive, very few actual recommendations or practical suggestions resulted and it ended up just being an exercise in axe-grinding.

- Online communication popped up at some point. newcastlefootball.net was mentioned several times on the night. A few in the audience attempted to have a go at it for being too small or too exclusive. Club guy in the audience tried to suggest that the Jets Facebook page should be the no.1 place for discussion...lol

- Blackmac mentioned The Jetstream as a means of communication by the fans. Aaron Kearney pledged to write something for it.

- Aaron Kearney and others touched on the issue of rewarding active supporters for their efforts and/or treating them differently to other members. Response was basically that being independent from the club was very important to us, so we don't want to go down that path.

- Situation of non-active people standing in Bay 2 became an unexpected hot-point for discussion. Most of the club multis thought that it was better to have non-actives in active bay than not at all, whereas a few Squadron types + Reegz made the point that it dulls the atmosphere.

- Reegz said that the players love us, love the passion shown and want it to continue. He did say sometimes they weren't sure if we hated them though, lol, but overall he spoke very positively of The Squadron and Bay 2.

- Pre-game active support was discussed at some point. Question was asked why we don't have any pre-game marches or support at the stadium....like the RBB. Response was that a) we do pre-game things at the tenzo, club could look into making it an official pre-game venue b) it's impossible to get anything happening before kick-off due to loud music. Question was then asked about turning off the music, club response was that it was possible but they didn't seem to want to committ to doing it.

The Highlights (heavily paraphrased)

"You guys probably only need a maximum of 2 chants of your own, the rest of the time it should be 'Come on Newcastle' or 'Jets clap clap clap'" - Ray Baartz

"The Jets Facebook page should replace the foz as the primary form of discussion on active support" - Some Guy from the Club

"So you want us standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the 6-year olds doing overhead claps while their mums feed them yoghurt?" - au revoir

"So what you're saying is that we should come up with some call-and-response chants that are simple and get the whole crowd involved? Something like 'Who are we?' 'Newcastle' 'Who are we?' 'Newcastle' 'We're Newcastle ole ole'? Yeah, we'll work on it buddy." - au revoir in response to Some Guy from the Club

"...like the condescening smart-arse over there" - Old Mate @ au revoir

"Why can't you be more family friendly like the RBB?" - Some Lady

militiamon
07-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Overall it was kind of what you'd expect from a public forum.

Fairly disappointed that it essentially ended up being an interrogation of The Squadron. Aaron Kearney noticed this and pointed it out several times and attempted to change the course of the discussion, but there were a few individuals in the room who didn't seem to get it.

If I had to guess, I'd say at least half of the people in the room hadn't set a foot inside Bay 2. Now I'm not saying you should only have an opinion on The Squadron if you've been in The Squadron, but it seemed that too many (from both the club and audience) were making some very specific suggestions without ever having faced the reality of the game-day situation. Things like the length of chants, the types of chants, dealing with non-actives, they're very difficult to have an accurate opinion on without every having experienced them.

Having said that, there were a few decent topics of discussion that I think a clear majority in the room agreed on, namely the ticketing issues and the pre-game support issues. I don't know if the club will actually follow through on either of them though.

Finally, Reegz was by far the best speaker from my pov, he just seemed to "get it". Respect increased one thousand-fold for him. Good thing La Baz wasn't there to point me out as the du who was being critical of him after the Wellington game :rof:

furns
07-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I ended up speaking on behalf of bay 2 along with toby and the commie, hopefully we explained a few things. I hope I put across the bay 2 ideals in the right manner.
We do need to be more inclusive and welcoming, and the bay 1 GA idea needs to happen as a "probationary" area for those who are new or who dont want to chant for the entire 90 minutes.

Once we get the Squadron committee sorted (stay tuned for announcement) and have a clear direction, we can then go back to the Jets with a meeting to sort out the ticketing, pregame, tenzo, signs and pamphlets for active support and general stadium, and all the other stuff that was brought up.
I wrote down the main action points along with my own ideas so hopefully we will be able to get it sorted and grow from here. One thing though, family friendly isnt our main priority which seemed to get agreement from both Aaron K and Reegz. The active bays are unfortunately never going to be a completely suitable environment for families simply due to the passion and enthusiasm from the other supporters who frequent the area.
Families arent going to want to chant and yell at the away team, bounce around and sing for 90 minutes. And for the lurkers, I have my own family who I dont bring into the active area for specifically that reason. I recognise that my two daughters are way too young for that environment which is why they sit in other bays when they occasionally come to games.

Blackmac79
08-09-2013, 11:04 AM
My 3 year old is a fooking hool.

Hit a kid the other day just for wearing a wanderers hat.

In seriousness though. The meeting had both positives and negatives.

Baartz is a naughty word, along with that media guy who only seemed to care about the $$$, they just don't get it.

Regan and Kearney are kings of newy as far as I am concerned.

Bring back milton!

q-money
08-09-2013, 09:42 PM
so was this worth it in the end or not?

hausmann
09-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Loved it that Helen O'Niell was there telling the Squadron that their support versus the RBB in the final game against WSW was like "boys versus men".

Given that she has criticised the Squadron publicly on ABC radio because "that's not the way we support teams in Newcastle" it's interesting to see her take such an interest in it.

pv4
09-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Have any of these people actually seen the people who make up the RBB? It's a thousand lebs with shirts off and tats all over their chests. Or a bunch of dudes in matching Fred Perry outfits who want to start fights.

It's the least family friendly environment I can point out in the HAL.

And do you know where the families are located for Wanderers games, and what they do? They sit next to the thousands of lebs, and they actually get involved & sing along to ALL of the RBBs chants (not just the NEW-CAR-SMELL ones).

pv4
09-09-2013, 09:00 AM
If all of these people really want a family friendly environment, the families need to actually get involved ffs. I'd love for all of these Baartz's and co to point out families that stand in the middle of your Horda's, the middle of the RBB's, etc.

q-money
09-09-2013, 09:09 AM
helene o'neill :rof:

maybe she could come down and meet your amok's and northgates etc in district park after the game and see how much family friendly fun the RBB really is

pv4
09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Guys, cmon, we really need to be taking this healthy discussion over to the Jerks facebook page

pv4
09-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Did anyone put the word on Baartz and ask why he told the club not to sign Smeltz, btw?

snake
09-09-2013, 09:31 AM
au revoir :rof: :wub:

MFKS
09-09-2013, 03:57 PM
So we need to be more like the RBB then OK

I will meet up with SD at BCF and we will get a years supply of Pyro organised. Smuggling them into the ground should be no drama. We can hide at least a dozen in my big mouth

Furns should get the Squadron to march to the ground every game and go past local restaurants so the Squadron can start harassing threatening and intimidating away fans and locals not going to the game. Seeing as we don't have any restaurants around the ground then the Maccas and Hungry Jacks at Broadmeadow will have to suffice. Spitting on some bloke and giving him a gobful who has brought his kid in for pre match happy meal will help us be like the RBB.

We are also going to have to send a party of lads to go an invade the away support bay by going in incognito and trying to pick fights and intimidate the away fans

Middleby is gonna need to also be convinced that GVE has to go so we actually have a team with a possibility of winning games.

If we can achieve these things then we would only need the rest of the crowd to pull their fingers out and start singing and we will be just like the RBB:tongue:

Superdylan
09-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Glad I went but had no idea it would go 2 hours. Next time maybe they should organize food or something because I was getting hungry towards nights end. I kept mainly quiet as I didn't have much problem with the way the squadron was run. Only thing I brought up was encouraging people that want to join the squadron to come to the tennis club to get to know the regulars. Furns added on this that in the future that they were looking at doing bbqs before games there for some games.

Many lolz, escpially that guy that had a whinge about the sha la la la chant going for 10 minutes at one game and saying 'this isn't europe'.

militiamon
09-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Comments on previous page pretty much sum up how I felt as well.

Maybe I am being pessimistic but I think it may have done more harm than good. People with the gripes just ended up leaving angrier for the most part, and we probably just came off as a bunch of pricks (which we are, but for good reasons).
If it were to happen again in the future, I would suggest that it is the actual active supporters who drive the discussion, not your concerned parent types or old mate who wanted to try and 'take over' The Squadron back in the day.

Superdylan
10-09-2013, 12:31 AM
There was always going to be criticism though miltiamon.

Another highlight I just remembered

"Why don't a couple of you squadron guys come to the western side to try & start chants" - Old mate

scarfy96
10-09-2013, 03:30 PM
I was there and saw things a little differently than reported here.

Main points of differentiation from above posts were.

1) Baartz never said that the squadron only needs 2 songs of their own. He suggested that there be just 2 or 3 songs on the song sheet that were designed to integrate with the wider public (ie beyond squadron) and that then you should have your own songs as well. Regularly coming back to those 2 or 3 to engage the crowd more but then sing your own as well. This song sheet should be handed out to ALL people entering the stadium (at least for the first few home games). There was talk of possibly getting the Squadron to help with pre-match stuff and possibly teaching the crowd some of the songs. Big ask but big rewards if some of you are up to it (and if the club is prepared to follow through with it).

2) Family friendly. I don't think anyone was suggesting that bay 2 should be a place for kids, in fact it was clearly stated a few times that this was not an objective of anyones. What was indicated a few times was that it should not feel threatening to other Jets fans in the vicinity. I think the idea of the woman who made the comment on the family friendly RBB was speaking as an outsider and only looking at a tiny fraction of it. She obviously saw the RBB at our how game but related the entire WSW fan base there (who joined in from time to time) as the RBB. So her comment was wrong, but her objective was right in that how do you activate the broader crowd in a family friendly way - because that is the only way you can activate the broader crowd with those style of songs.

3) GA was harped on and hopefully something will happen about turning bay 1 into GA. IMO this is a key to getting growth.

4) The "passive" people in bay 2 issue I saw another way. There were a number of people who were saying that they couldn't go for 90 minutes straight (or didn't want to) but wanted to join in and participate regularly. Those there in that category all basically felt they were thrown out of bay 2 (or abused out). The issue here that was raised is if bay 2 isn't full then isn't it better having it full with 50% of the people only singing half the time than half full of people singing all the time. Clearly views on this don't align. This is where bay 1 should be encouraged. RBB as was pointed out had a GA on either side of them when they started, bay 3 doesn't really offer this as it is full of members so bay 1 is the only option. Ideal would be to have both GA but that ain't happening.

Clearly a solution needs to be found for people to "give it a go" by hanging around the edges and trying it - and promoting of this (this is the clubs issue really). This probably needs to be a high priority to try and engender growth.

Ultimately was it worthwhile?

I think so, it has opened doors, whether it is a success or not I guess depends on what passes through those doors from here on in. Clearly the club is happy to listen (or are making the appearance of such) so I guess it depends on how agreeable both parties are to working together and how much each just want to say **** you guys we are doing it our way. If both parties are positive then I think a lot can come out of it, if one party is negative then nothing will change and the squadron will remain at about 100 or so people for another year complaining that others wont join in.

Now supposedly you are all supposed to abuse me and drive me away.

GazFish35
10-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Good to hear things fom another pov

furns
10-09-2013, 05:20 PM
lol scarfy no-one will be driving anyone away but as Gaz said, good to hear a summation from another POV

cheers

scarfy96
10-09-2013, 05:48 PM
What is with the warm fuzzies? How can I leave in a huff if you don't abuse me?

BTW, I was the guy sitting on the right near the front next to Ross (behind tobydog) reminiscing about KB, Rosebuds and Breakers days (I am not as old as Ross but :p ) that brought up the NTUA rendition and made the smart comments about this site being suspended ;) in case you didn't know.

militiamon
10-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Just to reply to scarf-dawg (because I feel like what he said is in response to some of what I said):

1) Baartz never said that the squadron only needs 2 songs of their own. He suggested that there be just 2 or 3 songs on the song sheet that were designed to integrate with the wider public (ie beyond squadron) and that then you should have your own songs as well. Regularly coming back to those 2 or 3 to engage the crowd more but then sing your own as well. This song sheet should be handed out to ALL people entering the stadium (at least for the first few home games). There was talk of possibly getting the Squadron to help with pre-match stuff and possibly teaching the crowd some of the songs. Big ask but big rewards if some of you are up to it (and if the club is prepared to follow through with it).

I honestly heard this as the exact opposite (that Baartz said we only needed 2 songs of our own, and the rest were for the whole crowd). Happy to be corrected though, I may have misheard.

Conclusion is still that Baartz shouldn't really be having a say in this, just like he shouldn't have had a say in choosing our signings...

2) Family friendly. I don't think anyone was suggesting that bay 2 should be a place for kids, in fact it was clearly stated a few times that this was not an objective of anyones. What was indicated a few times was that it should not feel threatening to other Jets fans in the vicinity. I think the idea of the woman who made the comment on the family friendly RBB was speaking as an outsider and only looking at a tiny fraction of it. She obviously saw the RBB at our how game but related the entire WSW fan base there (who joined in from time to time) as the RBB. So her comment was wrong, but her objective was right in that how do you activate the broader crowd in a family friendly way - because that is the only way you can activate the broader crowd with those style of songs.

Disagree with the first analysis about what was said by people in the meeting. I was hearing a strong and direct push for bay 2 to be "family friendly", and I definitely felt that this meant accommodating kids and the like, especially when the issue of swearing in chants was raised.

Agree with what you say in the second part though, but this kind of atmosphere is something we've seen plenty of times in the past - at the 2008 GF, at nearly every Sydney and Coast away game, etc. and as far as I can tell things are being run the same way as back then, but with smaller numbers.

I don't think it was a fair picture that was painted about bay 2 being an intimidating environment for families. I'm pretty sure I see you every week in bay 2, so you would know that the number of < 16 year olds far outnumber the number of > 16 year olds. I also actually see lots of families bring their kids into the bay every now and then, and 9/10 the kids absolutely love it which is brilliant imo.
But like I said before, I don't think half of the people there on the night had ever actually set foot in bay 2.

3) GA was harped on and hopefully something will happen about turning bay 1 into GA. IMO this is a key to getting growth.

Yep, this was one thing I think all of us were in unanimous agreement about. Interesting to see what the club does about it over the next 12 months.

4) The "passive" people in bay 2 issue I saw another way. There were a number of people who were saying that they couldn't go for 90 minutes straight (or didn't want to) but wanted to join in and participate regularly. Those there in that category all basically felt they were thrown out of bay 2 (or abused out). The issue here that was raised is if bay 2 isn't full then isn't it better having it full with 50% of the people only singing half the time than half full of people singing all the time. Clearly views on this don't align. This is where bay 1 should be encouraged. RBB as was pointed out had a GA on either side of them when they started, bay 3 doesn't really offer this as it is full of members so bay 1 is the only option. Ideal would be to have both GA but that ain't happening.

This is something I actually agree 100% with as well. I can understand the points made by the guys in relation to it making it more difficult to pump up the atmosphere at times, but in the end it's vital that we attract new people who might not be 100% committed. I'll go as far as saying that if people want to turn up to bay 2 and not sing at all, they should be allowed to. I mean it's a stupid thing to do on their part, but as far as kicking them out goes I don't think any fan should have that right.

Now supposedly you are all supposed to abuse me and drive me away.

:yap:

I did find that amusing that there is this perception that somehow the forum is not welcoming to newcomers and/or that the discussion is of a low standard (as alluded to by a few people on the night, including club officials). On the contrary, I think this has been and will always be the best medium for serious discussion and debate, and that's largely thanks to the good work of crook and the moderation team. tbh, I think some of the comments (even though they were said in cheek) were disrespectful to what crook has achieved here, especially given that the forum has been around far longer than any of them had worked for the Jets.

And fyi I was the irl Harry Potter sitting on the opposite side of you a couple of rows back :gent:

MFKS
10-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Umm as to Militias point about the active support not being intimidating in one regard we should actually want it to be intimidating. Not advocating violence or what not but our active support should be aiming to be that vocal and a force that opposing players feel uncomfortable and ill at ease and hate coming to Newy.

Get this happening and we may actually win games at home.

I understand the FFA are going for this family friendly shit at games but football isn't a family friendly activity the world over and some people need to accept this reality

scarfy96
11-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Interesting how we heard what Baartzy was saying so differently. I would swear on a stack of Jetstreams that he was pushing for the handed out song sheet to have no more than 2 or 3 songs on it but that the squadron has a range of other songs. So squadron has x songs (10, 15 whatever) but 2 or 3 of those are put on a song sheet and handed to ALL people arriving at the ground. As for him not having a say, I could think of worse people. At least he has played the game at the highest level and been involved in it all his life. I would prefer him in managements ear than some girl with a shiny new marketing degree full of politically correct shiny ideas.

Family friendly, there was that lady with the kid that left early that made some comment about it but I thought the consensus was pretty clear that the squadron wasn't designed for young kids but it shouldn't be intimidating to families in the next block - Aaron actually made a statement along those lines I thought. That said it should be intimidating to visiting players (that's a fine line to walk, best of luck working that one out!).

In terms of people not singing 100% of the time, that is for you guys to sort. My thoughts are that certainly newbies into the area should be encouraged to sing but they also need time to get their feet and learn the songs and the atmosphere. First time I took a mate in there I think he stood open mouth amazed for 80% of the time (he had only experienced knights "atmosphere" previously). Bay 1 is ideal for this. Once they have been there for a while it gets harder however, you don't want cardboard people just sitting there "absorbing" the atmosphere but someone that sings 50% of the time is better than an empty chair! Something that needs to be juggled I guess.

I didn't actually join the squadron at all last season. After being fried on some 3pm matches in the baking sun the family decided to take seats in the Western stand where there is some shade. In the end my sons football team took a block of seats so with a group of about 6 other families all sitting together on the Western side. Also now the kids are a bit older they go to all matches, when they were like 4yo the evening matches were too late for them so I went by myself and joined the squadron.

Key moving forward IMO is now taking stuff to Jets management. The offer has clearly been made but also it is your area not theirs. So I think that the emphasis is on a group from the Squadron meeting with someone from the Jets and sorting out some things. Up to you what the priorities would be but I would think.

1) Getting bay 1 GA
2) Having an acknowledgement and link to here for those interested on the Jets website
3) Having something here with some info on "thinking of standing with the squadron" - pdf of song lists, and some "etiquette" etc info
4) Sorting out the PA and pre match situation and agree on what will happen there (including possibly teaching some basic songs - bouncing from East to West stands and maybe the southern hill).
5) Getting NTUA on the big screen with the words and some formal acknowledgement from the club to "sing along" to be announced
6) Getting handouts to all people who enter the stadium with the words for a few songs on it for the first few matches

I see a window of opportunity here to work with the club, how co-operative they will be remains to be seen but I think it is up to the "committee" here to push it from this point on if anything is to happen. Momentum can be hard to get started but then it tends to work for you!

And yes I think this place is actually pretty good as far as online forums go. I have found it much less frustrating in a footballing sense since I put MFKS on my ignore list ;)

q-money
11-09-2013, 11:23 AM
did anything come up about getting some hats made up with the peak in the shape of a jet?

Jetmaster
11-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Was there any action plan drawn up to be followed up by the stakeholders, or was it just your usual bitchfest where everybody aired their grievances ?

Aaron would have handled the event well, but did he say things like "will you follow that one up Robbie and get back to *Squadron Member* ?"

Any concrete outcomes ?

hawk
11-09-2013, 01:38 PM
I'll go as far as saying that if people want to turn up to bay 2 and not sing at all, they should be allowed to. I mean it's a stupid thing to do on their part, but as far as kicking them out goes I don't think any fan should have that right.

No way. Everyone should be having a go at active support if in bay 2. Maybe not for the full 90 but having a go as MUCH as POSSIBLE. Encouragement can help. I have seen the younger beibers there for the fame and do nothing but giggle and pull selfies. not gunna happen. I have seen families with older kids >12 who have a go and show enthusiam. Bay 1 for the learners could be good.

Blackmac79
11-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Positive outcomes from Active Support Forum

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets hosted its first-ever Active Support Fan Forum at Newcastle Panthers last Thursday.

The purpose of the forum was to identify ways to ensure the continued growth of the Club’s Active Support base.

Following the Forum, the Club defines Active Support as:

“The passionate and vocal support of the team through cheering, chanting and standing for the majority of the match.”

Through songs, banners and tifo displays, our Active Supporters bring a truly unique level of noise, colour and atmosphere to Hunter Stadium.

The Jets, in conjunction with host of the evening Aaron Kearney, highlighted a number of key themes and action points raised at the forum:

1. Active Support is highly valued by the Newcastle Jets and its Members and supporters.

Home grown product Taylor Regan discussed the importance of Active Support from a players’ perspective, describing how the energy and passion of the crowd can lift the players on the field.

The Squadron was identified as the backbone of the Newcastle Jets’ Active Support base and a fantastic platform upon which to continue growing the Club’s Active Support.

The presence of the Squadron is considered integral to the success of match day and growing fans’ support throughout other parts of Hunter Stadium.

2. Not every supporter is seeking the same match day experience and everyone’s needs should be taken into account. All participants agreed that while the Squadron is the most passionate Active Support area in the stadium, we want to encourage all fans to get behind the team and to participate in Active Support in their own way.

3. The Newcastle Jets aim to continue growing all forms of Active Support at Hunter Stadium to ensure the venue becomes a fortress for the Jets and an intimidating place for opposition teams to come and play.

It is widely agreed that the Squadron has enormous potential to grow and finding ways to be more inclusive of peripheral fans may be the key to that growth.

It is also important that Hunter Stadium maintains a family friendly atmosphere where people from all demographics can come and enjoy the football in a safe and fun environment.

4. Communication is key. Communication between the Club and the Squadron, the Squadron and other fans, the Club and other fans and the Squadron to its members. Further meetings will be held with the Squadron and other fan groups to address this.

The Newcastle Jets are willing to provide assistance, if asked, with the distribution of certain Active Support and Squadron-related communications. The Club commits to create an Active Support information page on newcastlejets.com.au and will investigate options for distributing song sheets on match day .

5. The Club will examine the current seating arrangements for Active Support at Hunter Stadium. Bay 2 will remain as the home of the Squadron and the place that houses the Club’s most vocal and Active Supporters.

There is an expectation that if you are in Bay 2 you are ‘active’ and will stand and sing for the duration of the match.

The Club is investigating the possibility of making Bay 1 an additional Active Support Bay.

This will be the ideal location for those fans interested in getting a feel for Active Support, learning the songs and steadily integrating themselves into the Squadron.

6. The Club will explore a range of ideas to help improve match day atmosphere. These include:

-The position of the Squadron and how that relates to other fans (as noted above).
-The use of “Never Tear Us Apart” as the team’s walk-out song and the timing of when the song is played.
-Allowing the Active Support to build the atmosphere prior to kick-off.
-How the transition from outside the stadium to inside can be enhanced.
-How to include non-Squadron members in banner-making and other colourful activities.
-The distribution of chants/songs and other methods of the Squadron/Club reaching out to other fans.

7. That we are the Jets family, we ultimately want the same thing – for the Newcastle Jets to be the most successful Club in Australia with the biggest support base and the envy of every Club in the A-League. We hope all fans can unite towards this goal.

Next Steps

To move forward these ideas and the momentum from the Active Support Forum, the Club propose the formation of an Active Support Working Group that will liaise with the Club on all Active Support related issues. This Working Group would be made up of representatives of all parts of the Jets family – families, non-active supporters, active supporters and the Squadron etc.

If you are interested in participating in the Active Support Working Group please contact media@newcastlejets.com.au.

The Active Support Forum was a positive first step by the Club to raise awareness of Active Support and to engage fans to help grow our Active Support base.

Everyone at the Club; players, coaches, administrators and fans should be excited about the new season and the potential of this great Club both on and off the field.

CLICK HERE for more information on Club Membership including Squadron Membership in Bay 2.

Jets Supporters are encouraged to offer feedback on these action points in the comments section below.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Positive-outcomes-from-Active-Support-Forum/74680

Pico
11-09-2013, 06:53 PM
First off I'm not a member of the squadron and don't participate in the active support, that aside here goes.

Some good points and ideas to move forward, however I can see this active support work group being a bad idea if they just start letting every mother with an axe to grind to jump on board and dictate terms, lets face it Newcastle is full of these society warriors out to save us all from ourselves, then piss off back to their seat in the western stand.

I'm also confused as to why some of these other groups have not stepped forward before now and again by all accounts were not present for the forum. Just sit on the sidelines contribute nothing to the discussion then demand a seat at the table sounds like a recipe for disaster. Sounds like the club want their boys zads lads to have input and direct the thing, who else is there in this other fan groups segment that has any significant numbers.

The working group could only work if it actually includes people who are going to roll up their sleeves and do something, or it will become a case of do as I say whilst I go sit in the shade and bitch that your not like the RBB.

I also don't understand the part about including non squadron members in banner making, when exactly did the squadron ever claim to have the exclusive rights to making banners, if you want to make a banner there is nothing stopping you from getting involved, its not some secret society that requires a special handshake and to sacrifice a lamb to the squadron god before you can make a banner. Some how to's on here, or maybe the front page instead of the actual forum if we are all to scary, might help give people a bit of an idea of how you could go about it, but its not like there are hard and fast rules.

One of the biggest problems that I can see is that of a perception problem for the squadron, changing the perceptions will be a lot of hard work though, just look at the usual suspects if there is even the slightest issue, raving on about hooliganism and shaming Newcastle, does the club really want these types of people to be dictating to the regulars who actually dig in and do the hard work and get bagged out in the process, whilst doing nothing wrong.

Beeen
11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
First off I'm not a member of the squadron and don't participate in the active support, that aside here goes.

Some good points and ideas to move forward, however I can see this active support work group being a bad idea if they just start letting every mother with an axe to grind to jump on board and dictate terms, lets face it Newcastle is full of these society warriors out to save us all from ourselves, then piss off back to their seat in the western stand.

I'm also confused as to why some of these other groups have not stepped forward before now and again by all accounts were not present for the forum. Just sit on the sidelines contribute nothing to the discussion then demand a seat at the table sounds like a recipe for disaster. Sounds like the club want their boys zads lads to have input and direct the thing, who else is there in this other fan groups segment that has any significant numbers.

The working group could only work if it actually includes people who are going to roll up their sleeves and do something, or it will become a case of do as I say whilst I go sit in the shade and bitch that your not like the RBB.

I also don't understand the part about including non squadron members in banner making, when exactly did the squadron ever claim to have the exclusive rights to making banners, if you want to make a banner there is nothing stopping you from getting involved, its not some secret society that requires a special handshake and to sacrifice a lamb to the squadron god before you can make a banner. Some how to's on here, or maybe the front page instead of the actual forum if we are all to scary, might help give people a bit of an idea of how you could go about it, but its not like there are hard and fast rules.

One of the biggest problems that I can see is that of a perception problem for the squadron, changing the perceptions will be a lot of hard work though, just look at the usual suspects if there is even the slightest issue, raving on about hooliganism and shaming Newcastle, does the club really want these types of people to be dictating to the regulars who actually dig in and do the hard work and get bagged out in the process, whilst doing nothing wrong.

Monty and his mates on the southern hill who like a good swally.

http://s14.postimg.org/takrjtic1/lunatic_logo_art.png (http://postimage.org/)

slobsy
11-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I spent most of last year standing on the hill with my old man, so I'm a little out of the loop, but, I thought bay 1 was already GA (Or possibly "squadron GA)?

I've had squadron tickets since they brought in that rule maybe 3 seasons ago, but I've never been hit up to see my ticket except for maybe the first 2 games after they brought in the rule.
Even then it was only a teenage girl standing at the entrance, and there was no way she was stopping anyone.

scarfy96
12-09-2013, 10:48 AM

My guess is they don't want to be accused of the invite not being open to all members. Looking at the roll up at the last fans forum those of the category that you are most concerned about were obvious by the absence. Key here is getting a few involved in that group to ensure that they are a majority voice. Sit back and complain about it and you are abdicating your right to a voice with the club so it is important to be involved and have a say.

I see a rare opportunity here, either make the most of it or abdicate your right to bitch about it. If you are involved and it does turn into a pointless exercise in futility at least you have given it a go. However the agenda I got from the club was they realised that WSW beat us on and off the field and they didn't like that and while they don't want to replicate the RBB they want to work to create something unique to the Jets of a similar style.

Grab it and push it or don't, choice is yours.

hawk
12-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Maybe the oppotunity was introduced to stop the abuse of the then active group for waving flags and doing chants that didnt interest them. It started to attract an element that was never really connected with the group and focused on hating so called fellow supporters instead of assisting active support. And, also inpart due to inconsistent numbers in bay 2, due to years of average results and indifferent recruiting. Having a public open invitation could add a new wave of active support.

q-money
12-09-2013, 11:01 PM
what i don't understand is why people have such a ****ing bug in their undies about the whole thing, really.

remember when going to the footy was fun and a time for good blokes to get together and just do their thang, and it wasn't ruined by tiresome bores? me neither.

q-money
12-09-2013, 11:02 PM
and how the **** did hawk get 11,000 posts in 6 months

get off the internet and enjoy your mansion

boz-monaut
13-09-2013, 07:52 AM
I don't think post counts are particularly accurate given that I adjusted it

the #1 fan has the best post count of all

hawk
13-09-2013, 10:55 AM
and how the **** did hawk get 11,000 posts in 6 months

get off the internet and enjoy your sunny boys
fixed
ive hardly been on here. Zone league does take up a bit of my time though.

furns
13-09-2013, 10:56 AM
what i don't understand is why people have such a ****ing bug in their undies about the whole thing, really.

remember when going to the footy was fun and a time for good blokes to get together and just do their thang, and it wasn't ruined by tiresome bores? me neither.I remember that - it was season 2 and 3. Has been shit since.