PDA

View Full Version : 2014 FFA knock-out cup

Pages : [1] 2

belchardo
29-08-2013, 11:17 AM
has been announced.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/08/29/ffa-announce-national-ffa-cup-knock-out-competition/

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has today announced that a national FFA Cup knock out competition will commence in 2014, subject to finalisation of commercial arrangements.

The move comes after lengthy discussions around the national ‘FA Cup’ style knock-out competition, which gives minnow teams a chance to play against professional teams, all the way to the A-League clubs.
The FFA’s announcement follows below:

“FFA CEO David Gallop said the in-principle approval granted by the FFA Board at its 23 August meeting was a significant step forward for the game in Australia.

“The idea of the FFA Cup has captured the imagination of the football community and there’s a huge groundswell of support,” said Gallop.

“Everyone in the game is keen for this concept to come to life, but the prudent way forward is to ensure the right commercial and organisational foundations are in place.

“FFA Management now has a mandate to conclude the many positive talks we’ve had with broadcasters, sponsors and commercial partners.”

Over the past 12 months an FFA Project Team has been developing options for the FFA Cup, in consultation with Member Federations and A-League clubs.

The plan for the FFA Cup includes amateur and semi-professional clubs, including National Premier Leagues, and A-League clubs entering the draw on a progressive basis.

The options allow for existing State and Territory based cup competitions to remain in place as feeder competitions to the national cup.

The nine State and Territory Member Federations and 10 A-League clubs have unanimously endorsed the proposal to stage the inaugural FFA Cup within the calendar year with a Cup Final in December 2014.”

furns
29-08-2013, 01:44 PM
didnt they announce this last year?

Premy
29-08-2013, 02:01 PM
didnt they announce this last year?

I thought this too until I read that last paragraph

MFKS
29-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Yawn

Who cares??

The clubs below HAL level are not strong enough for it to be much of a contest

Jetmaster
29-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Yawn

Who cares??

Pfft - can see Adamstown knocking our guys over tbh.....we are one club destined to be knocked out by an underdog !

Blackmac79
29-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Bonnyrigg WE 2 - 2 Newcastle Jets

GazFish35
29-08-2013, 03:35 PM
i can easily see lower a-league teams being sprung by a top quality NPL side.

will be epic scenecs when SU can knock of WSW, or imagine Lakeside if SthMelb get to knock over the heart

Rocknerd
29-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Yawn

Who cares??

Said Man City to Cardiff. We barely survived our hit out against White eagles don't be so cocky about our chances. Remember we have GVE in charge.

MFKS
29-08-2013, 04:59 PM
GVE is out of contract at seasons end. You think he will get another contract when we don't make the finals??:tongue:

Secondly you can harp on all you like about State League teams and their results against HAL teams but they are in season we are in pre season. What makes you think they will be as competitive when HAL Season rolls around???

On another note none of the NBN sides would trouble a HAL side :sparring:

stopper2
29-08-2013, 05:50 PM
The Final is set down for December 2014 so I am assuming the Cup will be run over the 2nd half of the year. As far as I know all State league comps finish up this time of the year i.e late August/early September. Say the Cup starts in July then yes it may be possible for a State League side to beat a HAL side since it will still be only pre-season for the HAL. Once the Cup is in full swing and reaching the final rounds (say by November) I can't see a State League club going any further as it will be out of season for them while the HAL sides will be in full swing by then (except probably the Jets!!!)

Zico
29-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Might be a few guest appearances for State League clubs as no points system will apply :whistling:

q-money
29-08-2013, 09:40 PM
newy to go out in the first round to simba

plague
29-08-2013, 10:12 PM
newy to go out in the first round to simba

Jets = Sam Stosur

Thomas477
29-08-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm interested to see how low the entry will be. Will it be limited to NPL clubs, ZL clubs, or can all age teams apply for it?

As for the Jets, I can see us being knocked out by the lowest ranked clubs :/

Mitchy
29-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Hoping for west Sydney vs Sydney Croatia

Wilso8948
30-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Surely they wouldn't have all age teams.. Couldn't even see them having zone league either

GazFish35
30-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Has to be open to all.

Maybe not in its first years but it must expand so anyone can throw a team in.

belchardo
30-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Has to be open to all.

Maybe not in its first years but it must expand so anyone can throw a team in.

yep. everybody has to be able to buy into the dream.

Rocknerd
30-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Hoping for west Sydney vs Sydney Croatia

Already happened, Cops won by 60 batons and a shower of Capsicum spray

joel31
30-08-2013, 12:36 PM
about time we had a cup comp

Premy
03-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I've notice in the last couple of weeks there has been a lot of references in articles and forum's about this competition but not much from the FFA I wonder how long we will have to wait till we know more details about this Competition?

Blackmac79
03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
My understanding is that an announcement regard sponsor name and start date is imminent.

GazFish35
03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
ffa soon to tweet that there will be a press realease this afternoon announcing there will be a press conference soon to announce that an announcement is coming.

GazFish35
03-12-2013, 11:06 AM
oh, and the football family will all receive 16 emails to inform us to check twitter about it.

Premy
09-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Ya, not a great comparison hey, but closer to the Champions League in the sense that it seems the teams will qualify for the FFA Cup based on league positions, winning their own separate cups, etc., rather than qualification being entirely contained in the FFA Cup competition and irrespective of other results.

joel says it will change in subsequent years, I'll take his word for it. Chances of this running next year are slim as it is.

Unfortunately local qualifying has to be apart of it IMO, the cost would be far to great if it wasn't.

Premy
09-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Hypothetically you could have say a club like Edgeworth lumped with a draw like
Adelaide City- Away
Manly United- Home
South Hobart- Away
Northern Fury- Away
Dandenong Thunder- Away
Before they get anywhere near the last 32 if it was country wide, could you imagine the cost of that times it by 100+ for every other club in the comp its just not feasible.

militiamon
09-01-2014, 03:47 PM
I agree with you 100%, but that wasn't my point at all.

ForeverRed
10-01-2014, 06:27 AM
The winner of the state cup 2014 (solo cup) will represent Northern nsw football

Blackmac79
13-02-2014, 05:22 PM
If you, like me, think the world cup is more than 32 teams playing in the finals tournament, but all of the 203 nations that compete for a place at the finals

Then

you, like me, think that the FFA cup starts with the state cups, and are not two different competitions and the first qualifying round games are this weekend.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/szy611.jpg

Blackmac79
13-02-2014, 05:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FFA_Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FFA_Cup_Qualifying_Rounds

For those interested.

Blackmac79
13-02-2014, 06:42 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NNSWF_State_Cup

Created this. Still needs some adding to the NBN and NEWFM Section.

Blackmac79
13-02-2014, 06:43 PM
And if interested the others I just created:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Waratah_Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FQ_Cup

holmesy
13-02-2014, 06:57 PM
If you, like me, think the world cup is more than 32 teams playing in the finals tournament, but all of the 203 nations that compete for a place at the finals

Then

you, like me, think that the FFA cup starts with the state cups, and are not two different competitions and the first qualifying round games are this weekend.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/szy611.jpg

If MVR are as good as they were when I played against them they will beat Wingham easily. and Port Saints? wow not sure why they are even trying, unless they have improved dramatically.

Those are my tips (y)

GazFish35
13-02-2014, 07:36 PM
**** off dickhead.
Wingham will win the cup.

Ps.... No need to **** off.

la bazzle
13-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Does hitman still play for tamworth?

holmesy
13-02-2014, 07:43 PM
**** off dickhead.
Wingham will win the cup.

Ps.... No need to **** off.

Haha! Well back when I played a few years ago wingham were no match for MVR ;) Time will tell.

GazFish35
13-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Word round town is wingham won't be much chop again this year.
Yoyo team ATM.

They play local and win, step up to premier league and don't.

Blackmac79
21-02-2014, 05:43 PM
FFA to announce full details on Monday according to twitter.

Grimario
24-02-2014, 12:06 PM
All announced.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhM2z4yCUAAr9v9.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhM3EJpCcAAwWma.jpg

Thomas477
24-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Nux in, disgrace.

belchardo
24-02-2014, 12:47 PM
yep. disgusting. FFA, not FFANZ.

the draw seems odd as well, guarantees that 1 C, two B's and an A make the semi's.

Premy
24-02-2014, 01:44 PM
yep. disgusting. FFA, not FFANZ.

the draw seems odd as well, guarantees that 1 C, two B's and an A make the semi's.

How are a pot A team "guarantee" to go threw?
Yes you would expect at least 1 to progress but their far from guaranteed.

hausmann
24-02-2014, 01:52 PM
There needs to be an ACL playoff spot on the line to make it seem anything other than a pre-season warm-up.

Premy
24-02-2014, 02:06 PM
There needs to be an ACL playoff spot on the line to make it seem anything other than a pre-season warm-up.
Gallop said that was his desire but he needed to speak to AFC about that.

belchardo
24-02-2014, 02:45 PM
How are a pot A team "guarantee" to go threw?
Yes you would expect at least 1 to progress but their far from guaranteed.

point taken, but odds are highly in their favour. why do the best teams in Australia not have an equal chance to make the finals. every team that makes it from the C group is going to have their presence questioned ("they only got there because the draw is rigged") while fans of the top teams sit there and wonder why they got such a hard draw.

GazFish35
24-02-2014, 03:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhM3EJpCcAAwWma.jpg

why is there a 20c piece stuck on the trophy?

is that the prize money?

joel31
24-02-2014, 03:14 PM
we are out first round folks. We have to play another A-League team

joel31
24-02-2014, 03:15 PM
but at least we don't got embarrassed by a state league club

Premy
24-02-2014, 03:23 PM
point taken, but odds are highly in their favour. why do the best teams in Australia not have an equal chance to make the finals. every team that makes it from the C group is going to have their presence questioned ("they only got there because the draw is rigged") while fans of the top teams sit there and wonder why they got such a hard draw.

I see what you're saying but I personally have no problem. Its no different to any other Cup or Tournament where Higher Ranked Teams/Players are seeded. For the State Representative Clubs its just the same as any Cup where it's Luck of the Draw.

Edit: I see what you're saying Ideally there should not of been a pot C. Pot B and Pot C should have been combined.

Pico
24-02-2014, 03:32 PM

Would love to see the FFA get in the ear of the AFC and get us elevated to three full spots with one for the cup or have them allocate at least our half spot for the winner, provided they are an HAL team. Would be good if the FFA could get in with say that Singapore knockout cup south Melbourne played in a few years ago or another tournament for the highest placed non HAL club should they cause the ultimate upset, with the highest placed HAL side getting the ACL spot.

joel31
24-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Cup magic shouldn't be forced its ok to seed the first round but from then on every team should have equal avenue to the final

MFKS
24-02-2014, 04:10 PM
End of day the depth of clubs in our game in this country isn't there. I just never see a non HAL side winning the thing. Matter of fact I struggle to see many of these lower sides even troubling the HAL sides bar the occasional effort from a former NSL club such as South Melbourne Syd United etc

I am though adamant that this will be a competition that the Jets will some how find a way to embarass and disgrace us in.
Can we just forfeit now to save ****ing time???

Bet you the Coast Scum though are highly successful in this shit though

militiamon
24-02-2014, 06:14 PM
I've said it from the start, the format is quite shit, and nothing like the FA Cup.
Looks very much like a marketer's vision of how the FFA Cup should be run, modern football and all that. It's more like the FFA Champions League.

End of day the depth of clubs in our game in this country isn't there. I just never see a non HAL side winning the thing. Matter of fact I struggle to see many of these lower sides even troubling the HAL sides bar the occasional effort from a former NSL club such as South Melbourne Syd United etc

I'm no state league fanboi, but I believe state league clubs have beaten A-League clubs on quite a number of occasions. Granted, they might have been pre-season friendlies with understrength teams, but I don't think the gap is as bad as you make out.

Only issue is that the A-League clubs would appear to have a huge bias in the draw, which will make it hard for the State League clubs to do well on probability alone. Before people mention how EPL teams don't come into the FA Cup until later rounds, ya, I know this, but even then I don't think the numbers end up being so heavily in their favour.

Blackmac79
24-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Love it.

Magic.

Cup.

Bring on South Melbourne or Knights, United or Marconi

Or even bonnyrigg who drew us 2-2 away from home last year.

Blackmac79
24-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Would love to see the FFA get in the ear of the AFC and get us elevated to three full spots with one for the cup or have them allocate at least our half spot for the winner, provided they are an HAL team. Would be good if the FFA could get in with say that Singapore knockout cup south Melbourne played in a few years ago or another tournament for the highest placed non HAL club should they cause the ultimate upset, with the highest placed HAL side getting the ACL spot.

FFA have no say in who is allocated the spots.

Technically at the moment first past the post gets 1 full spot

our "cup" winner (finals) gets 1 spot

and the half goes to highest placed otherwise.

Would not be surprised if the FFA Cup gets a full spot and the Grandfinal winner gets the half.

Premy
24-02-2014, 06:28 PM
I've said it from the start, the format is quite shit, and nothing like the FA Cup.
Looks very much like a marketer's vision of how the FFA Cup should be run, modern football and all that. It's more like the FFA Champions League.

I'm no state league fanboi, but I believe state league clubs have beaten A-League clubs on quite a number of occasions. Granted, they might have been pre-season friendlies with understrength teams, but I don't think the gap is as bad as you make out.

Only issue is that the A-League clubs would appear to have a huge bias in the draw, which will make it hard for the State League clubs to do well on probability alone. Before people mention how EPL teams don't come into the FA Cup until later rounds, ya, I know this, but even then I don't think the numbers end up being so heavily in their favour.
Complete dribble

Pico
24-02-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty happy with the balance, the fact some of the key games will line up with international duty will also help pull the HAL sides back to the pack.

Realistically there is no way you could do a complete random draw, and the fact it does not even happen in England seems lost on some. Seeding is needed and the fact that we only have one tier of pro teams means that seeding was always going to be contentious. People need toe remember this is the first year, it will need to build from here.

I also like the way the top 4 are rewarded with their seeding, this will help drive a greater desire to be in the top 40% of the league oppose to not being in the lowest 40 at the moment.

The ACL spot will be interesting if you read the ACL guidelines this should take one of the group positions for the ACL that aus has but I would not be surprised to see only the half a spot granted to the winner and only if they are a HAL side.

With foxtel only showing games they deem important enough I'd really like to see the FFA, Jets & NNSW engage locally based media (NBN, ABC Newcastle, The herald) to try and get coverage for the games fox don't want to cover that involve local teams especially when these games will be hosted at local venues in our region. Even if NNSW got the FFA to allow NBN to do a basic coverage of the games for their website like they have done for the NBN league GF. Something basic to be streamed online allow NBN to sell a little local advertising for the stream maybe get a jets player, probably Bridges to do some commentary (just for you PV4 :whistling:) keep it low key don't try and get it on FTA as it will never rate.

I'm calling it early jets to be the first HAL side knocked out by a NPL side, we always seem to give the underdogs a leg up, a returning out of form player a couple of goals why not add in a leg up for an NPL team each year.

belchardo
24-02-2014, 07:11 PM
People need toe remember this is the first year, it will need to build from here.

this occurred to me on the drive home as well, i hope that this system improves over time.

while i don't think the pots system is all that great, kudos to FFA.

they've walked the walk on this one. i will be keeping a close eye on the impending draws to see who is playing who. i will make a conscious effort to make it to a state league game (in the ACT that is), something i have never done before.

great job FFA, kutgw. seriously.

GazFish35
24-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Can easily see a top state league team from the Vic or nsw premier leagues knocking off an aleague side.

Would be doing well to do it enough times to win the thing, but I'd not like our chances on current form if we got drawn Sydney. Utd, or Sth Melbourne. Perth would struggle to, traveling midweek etc etc

Good first edition IMO. Gallop was pretty clear nothing is in concrete and all will be reviewed.

Better than any FFA cup Ben Buckley put together.

lquiquer
24-02-2014, 08:01 PM
I think great concept. And IMO winner MUST get a spot in Asia (Essential)......Can't wait

militiamon
24-02-2014, 08:10 PM
All I'm pointing out is that this is nothing like the FA Cup format.

There is no qualification for the FA Cup.
There is no seeding.
There are no special preferences given to the top 4 EPL teams.
The FA Cup competition is entirely contained within itself, and not dependent on performances in the league seasons.
Yes there are several rounds which successively introduce the higher leagues into the competition. This is different to the above points.

For some reason pointing this out makes plebs such as Premy angry.

As for ACL qualification, I think you'll find that each country is only allowed to have qualification through one cup competition. This is currently done through our Finals Series. Either we scrap qualification through the Finals Series, or we don't have qualification through the FFA Cup.

GazFish35
24-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Imagine lokomotive Tashkent getting drawn against Sth Cardiff gunners in the ACL.

Wow. Mind blown.

joel31
24-02-2014, 08:30 PM
There is no seeding.
There are no special preferences given to the top 4 EPL teams.
The FA Cup competition is entirely contained within itself, and not dependent on performances in the league seasons.
Yes there are several rounds which successively introduce the higher leagues into the competition. This is different to the above points.

For some reason pointing this out makes plebs such as Premy angry.

As for ACL qualification, I think you'll find that each country is only allowed to have qualification through one cup competition. This is currently done through our Finals Series. Either we scrap qualification through the Finals Series, or we don't have qualification through the FFA Cup. wrong about the first thing but agree with the rest. Conference down to level 10 play qualifying rounds for round 1

Grimario
24-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Kind of wrong. The FA Cup as everyone knows it isn't just open to anyone... there are HEAPS of qualifying rounds that go on at levels 9/10/11 of the football pyramid before Northern/Southern/Isthmian Divisions get a go who then get knocked out by Northern/Southern/Isthmian Premier League teams who then get knocked out by Blue Square North/South teams before Blue Square Prem sides get a chance to knock them out. It definitely isn't all 7000 clubs in a MASSIVE playoff tree. It definitely has qualifiers.

Blackmac79
24-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Actually there were like 726 clubs playing in this years FA cup. 600 will compete in the FFA cup.

Blackmac79
24-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I hope we draw united or south Melbourne away z

BodyNovo
24-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Imagine lokomotive Tashkent getting drawn against Sth Cardiff gunners in the ACL.

Wow. Mind blown.

One can dream

lquiquer
24-02-2014, 09:03 PM
As for ACL qualification, I think you'll find that each country is only allowed to have qualification through one cup competition. This is currently done through our Finals Series. Either we scrap qualification through the Finals Series, or we don't have qualification through the FFA Cup.

Pretty sure If you win the Emperor cup in japan you qualify for ACL

lquiquer
24-02-2014, 09:05 PM
I hope we draw united or south Melbourne away z

Unfortunately looks like we will get an A-League Franchise (Home or away?)

weston
24-02-2014, 09:17 PM
My club picked up a handy 7-0 win the the Qld Cup on the weekend (which acts as the qualifying stage for qld). I never played though.

militiamon
24-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Kind of wrong. The FA Cup as everyone knows it isn't just open to anyone... there are HEAPS of qualifying rounds that go on at levels 9/10/11 of the football pyramid before Northern/Southern/Isthmian Divisions get a go who then get knocked out by Northern/Southern/Isthmian Premier League teams who then get knocked out by Blue Square North/South teams before Blue Square Prem sides get a chance to knock them out. It definitely isn't all 7000 clubs in a MASSIVE playoff tree. It definitely has qualifiers.

OK, poor choice of words, but what I meant by no qualification is that clubs in the FA Cup don't have to finish a certain position in their respective leagues or win some local cup competitions to 'qualify', even at the very lowest level.

To understand what I mean, compare the FFA Cup to the UEFA Champions League. They're practically the same, minus the group stage. Should really be the Australian Champions League.

Not that this matters, I just like to keep winding up that Premy guy.

Pretty sure If you win the Emperor cup in japan you qualify for ACL

That's correct. The Emperor's Cup is Japan's one designated cup competition as I was saying.

Japan - Emperor's Cup
Korea - Korean FA Cup
China - Chinese FA Cup
Australia - A-League Finals Series

1 spot each for the winners of these competitions. All other spots are based on final league positions.

plague
24-02-2014, 09:47 PM

Wow. Mind blown.

ForeverRed would still be unhappy.

Premy
24-02-2014, 09:55 PM
OK, poor choice of words, but what I meant by no qualification is that clubs in the FA Cup don't have to finish a certain position in their respective leagues or win some local cup competitions to 'qualify', even at the very lowest level.
Wind up Successful.
What don't you not Understand of Qualify?
Yes teams in the FA Cup at the lowest level do have to win a regional base cup to qualify for the next round.
From my understanding all the separate State Federations run a "Regional" cup competition to see who will "Qualify" for the FFA Cup essentially making the Competition having near 600 competing Clubs :banghead:

What Club Qualifies threw "League Position"?

weston
24-02-2014, 10:03 PM
From my understanding all the separate State Federations run a "Regional" cup competition to see who will "Qualify" for the FFA Cup essentially making the Competition having near 600 competing Clubs :banghead:

Correct as far as I know. My club is in the Mackay region part of the competition. If they win the next 2 or 3 games I think they go on to play teams from other regions.

Pico
24-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Won't ever need to worry about state league teams in the acl as they don't meet the qualifications to be eligible. J &k leagues are the only leagues which have a lower division recognised last time I read the acl audit.

Have always thought that it would have been nice to see one acl spot for the highest HAL team in the FFA cup and one AFC presidents cup spot for the highest npl team but with the presidents cup being scrapped from next year that's not possible now. Would have been a good development pathway for the state league teams and would not have resulted in a super dominant/weak team in entering either comp whilst rewarding the FFA cup winner even if from a lower division.

It will be interesting to see which cup the AFC goes with, would not surprise me if the FFA cup got a half spot, with the talk about increasing the qualification stages of the acl to accommodate the AFC presidents cup teams we might be able to sneak another half spot resulting in 2 full group spots and two qualification spots. One for premiers, one for champions, half for 2nd in league half for FFA cup winner if hal team, or 3rd in league.

Pico
24-02-2014, 10:14 PM
What Club Qualifies threw "League Position"?
Militia is referring to the seeding of the hal teams into pot a & b based on their previous hal end of season table positions which effects if your hal team plays an npl team or another hal team.
Personally I like that it rewards the higher teams might get our club off its arse and aspiring to finish higher then the bottom 40% of the league table.... Actually never mind we can't even achieve that at the moment.... Actually we haven't been able to for years.

Imyourhero
24-02-2014, 10:18 PM
How about we all just be glad that the FFA cup is even a thing. A new era of Australian football is upon us. Do we really think a local team will win it? Why cant we just enjoy more football to watch?

lquiquer
24-02-2014, 10:19 PM
That's correct. The Emperor's Cup is Japan's one designated cup competition as I was saying.

But the point is: one spot to ACL if you win the Emperor Cup (Equivalent to FFA cup) and 3 spots if you win the J-league + Runner up and third...etc:

From Wikipedia:

Asian QualificationCurrently, through the league games, the J. League champions, runners-up, and third-placed teams qualify for the AFC Champions League. The other means of qualification is the Emperor's Cup; however this also gives clubs below level I the possibility of qualification (if they hold a J1 club license). If one of the top three finishers also wins the Emperor's Cup title, the 4th-placed club receives the final qualification spot.

lquiquer
24-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Also can see issues if Nix win the cup.... Can they play in Asia?

Pico
25-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Cost of staging FFA Cup likely to be outweighed by its value to the code

Tom Smithies •
The Daily Telegraph •
February 24, 2014 10:16PM

YOU can put a cost on creating Australia’s answer to the FA Cup, but its value could be priceless.

The FFA Cup is finally under way, the first of more than 600 teams involved having played in the earliest rounds, leading to a final in December — with the possibility of giant-killing at every step along the way.

It’s understood the tournament is costing almost $1 million to stage and the draw has been deliberately engineered to give semi-professional teams who advance to its latter stages the chance to embarrass the A-League clubs.

At least one minor side is guaranteed to reach the semi-finals, 10 games are to be broadcast on Fox Sports and there is a prizemoney pool of $120,000, including $40,000 for the winning team.

It is a shameless re*creation of the FA Cup tradition, and FFA CEO David Gallop deliberately invoked memories of being woken as a child to watch the FA Cup final late on a Saturday evening in May.

“The holy grail for this sport is creating a link between the huge participation base and the professional level,” Gallop said.

“The FFA Cup is the ideal vehicle for that. It’s a competition that most sports couldn’t envisage because of the physical nature of a contest between the professional and amateur levels. There’s something unique about this competition in Australian sport.”

The A-League teams join the competition in late July and August in the round of 32, with six playing each other and the other four drawn against qualifiers.

From then, the draw has been engineered to ensure all the A-League teams that reach the round of 16 will face a semi-pro or amateur team.

The smaller clubs will qualify for those latter stages via state-based competitions. For this year at least that will be the existing state cup competitions, such as the Waratah Cup in NSW, with the number of teams going through dictated by the number of participants playing football — from seven qualifiers for NSW to one each for SA, Tasmania and the ACT.

FFA will cover the travelling and accommodation costs for each away team from the round of 32, and the whole tournament leads to a final in December — held this year, like all preceding rounds, on a Tuesday.

But, from next season, the intention is to have a weekend final, though always by December or January to avoid clashes with the Asian Champions League.

For the A-League teams it provides a more meaningful pre-season, with the rounds of 32 and 16 taking place before the league starts.

But there is also the risk of embarrassment when they travel to face a smaller club with something to prove.

Former Sydney FC midfielder Paul Reid enjoyed a spectacular FA Cup run with Brighton in 2005, and will hope to repeat that with the Rockdale City Suns.

“There’ll always be giant-killing in a competition like this,” Reid said. “The A-League teams are technically superior and fitter, of course, but the leveller will be the passion and intensity that a lower league side should generate when they get an opportunity like this.

“For the professional sides, an away game on a Tuesday night will definitely test their desire.”

Interesting, all the previous rumours were pointing to an aus day final each year except for the first year due to the Asian Cup.

I think this answers any questions regarding what the anticipated AFC stance will be, they will give one to the FFA cup and with the conclusion always in December it means the winner will progress straight into the ACL instead of waiting a year.

Pico
25-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Football Federation Australia reveals new FFA Cup competition and trophy

David Weiner •
FOX SPORTS •
February 24, 2014 10:04AM

THE magic of the cup is about to arrive in Australia.

Football Federation Australia announced on Monday the inaugural FFA Cup competition in Australia will kick-off in July, with the final on December 16.

600 clubs across Australia have started preliminary knockout matches ahead of the round of 32, when the 10 A-League sides will enter the fray. They’ll be pitted alongside 22 clubs from competitions in Queensland (four clubs), New South Wales (seven), Northern NSW (two), Victoria (four), ACT (one), Tasmania (one), South Australia (one) and Western Australia (two).

The number of clubs from each member federation is determined by the number of registered players in each jurisdiction. Northern Territory will participate in 2015.

There is a huge incentive for non A-League clubs, as the draw’s structure ensures that a minimum of one non-professional club will make the semi-finals.

“This is a moment we have dreamed about for years and to finally have it happen is really exciting,” FFA CEO David Gallop said at the Ilinden Sports Centre.

He added: “The holy grail for Australian football for so many years (has been) the connection of grassroots to professional football – the FFA Cup embodies that, which is why we’re so excited.”

Gallop also unveiled the competition’s trophy. The silverware is a mix of a traditional Cup competition prize, and a nod to Australian football history, with a resemblance to the old “Australian Cup” trophy.

There is the real prospect of member federation clubs having the opportunity to host A-League giants and take the gate receipts. FFA will work with those clubs to ensure their venues meet standards, particularly to accommodate broadcast requirements. Where they are drawn against an A-League club, they will host. When a club faces another club from its same level (ie: A-League club v A-League club), the team drawn first from the pot will host.

Gallop also revealed that reasonable flights, ground transport and accommodation for a travelling party of 21 will be covered for away sides.

he final, at this point, won’t be at a Wembley style venue but will be moved around and Gallop admitted that the roof body will need to sit down with the Asian Football Confederation to discuss whether the final winner gets a spot in the AFC Champions League.

“The idea across Asia is that the cup knockout team winner gets into Champions League,” Gallop said. “That’s something we need to talk to AFC about.”

FFA won’t use replays for drawn matches as takes place in England – all matches will get a result on the night through extra-time and penalties.

Socceroos legend and former Sydney FC player Brett Emerton, who played in Cup competitions in England with Blackburn and Holland with Feyenoord, said it’s an opportunity for young players to relish and another shop window for talent.

“A lot of the young players playing in this competition will hope to showcase themselves in front of the other A-League clubs,” Emerton said. “Let’s hope this competition will help unearth some young talent in Australia.”

Former A-League midfielder Paul Reid, who plied his trade with Adelaide, Melbourne Heart and Sydney FC, experienced the FA Cup in England. He now plays for Rockdale City Suns NSW Premier League and says players across the country will be glued to the television when the draw comes out.

“Everyone talks about the tradition of the FA Cup, and one of the things I remember (in England)… all the teammates stay around after training and watch the live draw … that’s one of the big buzzes – the draw you will get,” he said.

Wonder who will drop a spot next year to make way for NT, I'm thinking it will be NNSW.

TheCroar
17-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Here is great site for ffa cup info.

http://www.pursuitofthecupau.com/#

belchardo
12-05-2014, 04:08 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/12/ffa-cup-lands-sponsorship-deal

FFA Cup lands sponsorship deal to secure future

The future of the FFA Cup has been secured until 2017 with the governing body announcing the backing of multimillion dollar deals for the competition over the next three years.

Westfield was on Monday unveiled as the inaugural naming rights partner joining Umbro, who will provide the official ball for the competition, Harvey Norman and NAB as the four new sponsors for the tournament, which kicks off on 29 July. All sponsors have signed on for three years with FFA boss David Gallop putting the combined dollar figure of the deals at $4m a year.

The money will cover travel – the biggest expense of the competition – among other things.

"This is a competition we've talked about for a number of years but it needed corporate support to get off the ground," Gallop said on Monday. "Travel is one of the expensive components and making sure match day is presented in a professional way, all of things cost money.

"Conceptually the competition has always been a good idea but until we got the dollars and cents behind it, it probably wouldn't have happened."

Most state leagues are deep into their qualifying competitions, with the 22 state and territory-based teams joining the 10 A-League clubs for the kick-off in late July.

some good names there.

GazFish35
12-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Westfield!

WOW!

thats like being sponsored by Hunter Ports when youre owned by a bloke who owns Hunter Ports,
or the time that team wore Parklea markets on their shirts when they were owned by the bloke who owned Parklea Markets.

Thomas477
12-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Hasn't umbro been canned by Nike? I wouldn't say they're the best name we could have gotten. Still, suppose they're better than Macron, kappa or Mitre.

Pico
12-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Hasn't umbro been canned by Nike? I wouldn't say they're the best name we could have gotten. Still, suppose they're better than Macron, kappa or Mitre.

I thought Nike has a strategy of using the Nike brand for national teams and larger clubs and puma for smaller clubs. Sort of like adidas and reebok strategy, adidas is the "premium" brand and Reebok mops up the rest.

Pico
12-05-2014, 06:53 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/12/ffa-cup-lands-sponsorship-deal

some good names there.

Interesting take, me I'm concerned that the national team in a world cup year can't attract a sponsor, and a new grass roots up cup comp can only latch onto the coat tails of all the pre-existing FFA partners, not one new sponsor in that announcement is a bit concerning, even more so that Westfield is the naming rights sponsor what happens when uncle Frank leaves FFA next year, its ten years and we are still relying on lowys generosity to cover the major sponsorships for HAL, WLeague, socceroos and now FFA Cup.

MFKS
12-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Interesting take, me I'm concerned that the national team in a world cup year can't attract a sponsor, and a new grass roots up cup comp can only latch onto the coat tails of all the pre-existing FFA partners, .

If you were heading up some large organisation and wanted to get your companies name out there why in ****sname would you want to associate yourself with the Socceroos in the next couple of months??

Lets face it they are odds onto get pumped badly so why expose your company name to that embarrassment??

Not knocking the exposure it would bring in happy times but the impending debacle most expect ain't gonna be good. Many other safer places to expose your money for publicity

howardyou
12-05-2014, 08:08 PM

Nike sold Umbro to 'Iconix Brand Group' in 2012. They own other brands like Mossimo and Eckō Unltd.

Thomas477
12-05-2014, 10:03 PM
I thought Nike has a strategy of using the Nike brand for national teams and larger clubs and puma for smaller clubs. Sort of like adidas and reebok strategy, adidas is the "premium" brand and Reebok mops up the rest.

Puma is owned by adidas. And it's hardly the smaller clubs, given Arsenal has puma next year. Either way, umbro isn't one of the "big three" football gear manufacturers. Would have preferred one of them tbh.

And cheers howardyou.

Blackmac79
13-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Couldn't care less about the A-league this year. As long as we are inaugural FFA Cup winners. That's the goal.

boz-monaut
13-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Puma is owned by adidas.

No, it isn't

stop talking bullshit

Zico
13-05-2014, 11:15 AM
is Puma a company formed by one of the brothers who started Adidas?

Jeterpool
13-05-2014, 11:45 AM
is Puma a company formed by one of the brothers who started Adidas?

Is correct. Rival brothers formed the two companies

joel31
13-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Couldn't care less about the A-league this year. As long as we are inaugural FFA Cup winners. That's the goal.
I agree.
if we win that would be amazing

plague
13-05-2014, 03:39 PM
No, it isn't

stop talking bullshit

Correct.
It's owned by a Euro company called PPR that also owns Volcom, Electric sunglasses and a bunch of high end fashion brands.
It still pretty much runs as it's own entity though within FFP.
From memory, FFP is bigger than Nike.

By the way are we discussing all this because of a ball sponsor for a domestic cup comp?

Jesus, we need a ****ing hobby.

belchardo
21-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Return of Adelaide’s NSL derby proves FFA Cup is a winner already

Next Saturday looms as a landmark day for football in South Australia. For the first time since the dawn of the A-League, Adelaide City and West Adelaide will be back on the national stage.

The FFA and FFSA couldn’t have written a better script themselves.

Adelaide’s two exiled NSL clubs will compete for the Federation Cup in front of an expected bumper crowd at Hindmarsh Stadium, with the winner to progress to the round of 32 of the inaugural FFA Cup.

The nation’s new knockout competition has not yet begun, and yet this fixture is already validation of the FFA’s bold gamble to introduce it.

For as rosy as the outlook is now, it has always been a gamble. While a great idea in principle, the devil has always been in the detail. Australia has never had a consistent, truly national cup competition at the top level, and for good reason.

Firstly, given our love affair with grand finals and whatnot, there has never exactly been an aching need for more knockout football on the calendar. Secondly, owing to Australia’s geography, it’s pretty hard to get right and fairly expensive if you do.

The Australia Cup ran for seven seasons between 1962 and 1968 but was abolished because it was a financial and logistical headache. Years later there was the NSL Cup, but that only included NSL teams – none from outside the top-tier were involved. The numbers have never added up.

That is, until now.

Last week, the tournament’s inaugural sponsors were unveiled. Obligatory partners Westfield and Fox Sports are on board, but in a sign of the times, Harvey Norman and NAB – two companies that historically prefer to support rugby league and AFL – have also backed FFA’s investment and will help underwrite the cup.

Adding to the attraction for football hipsters, Umbro, the darling brand of style-over-results recalcitrants everywhere, will provide the match ball. Together, these sponsorships are worth $12 million over three years – enough to pay for the dream of a national cup competition to become a reality.

But while the FFA Cup itself is not going to pour millions of dollars of profit into the game’s coffers, it will make an enormous intangible contribution to the game. The return of the Adelaide derby is a prime example.

This is where football trumps the other codes. The FFA Cup emphasises the game’s universality and romance. There is room for everyone – the professionals at the top of their game, the state-leaguers trying to crack the big time, and the weekend warriors. No other Australian sport will shine as much attention to their state-league competitions and below than football will, from now on.

The tragic shame of the AFL’s two-team set-up in Adelaide is what was left behind. The South Australian National Football League (SANFL) is a proud old competition, made up of clubs that suffered a similar fate to those ex-NSL teams in the state leagues – becoming mere historical footnotes when the Adelaide Crows were formed to join the AFL in 1990.

It’s long been a source of schadenfreude for Port Adelaide supporters who often indulge in reminding Crows fans of the long-standing SANFL loyalties they abandoned. The Power, who rebadged from the Magpies to enter the top league in 1997, are the only non-Victorian AFL club that can lay claim to genuine suburban roots and a proper tradition.

This has meant no national exposure for the likes of Norwood, Glenelg and Sturt, these institutions of Adelaide that were pushed out of the picture by the VFL’s transformation into Australia’s competition of choice. It is the same deal in Western Australia and everywhere else in the country. The best they can hope for is the clearly soccer-inspired Foxtel Cup, a made-for-TV abomination played at low-intensity in front of empty stadiums on cold, lonely Tuesday nights. It means nothing to nobody, and is surely not long for this world.

Meanwhile, Adelaide City and West Adelaide are basking in the unique glory of football and on the cusp of national relevance once again. Their successor, Adelaide United, has brought everyone in South Australia together, but there remains a special place for the forerunners that blazed the trail in the NSL. Whoever wins could very well face an A-League side at their home ground, and through this prism, it’s an opportunity for meaningful engagement between the game’s newer supporters and one of the relics of yesteryear.

City are coached by the legendary Damien Mori and have dominated the local scene since the collapse of the old national league. They are the defending Federation Cup champions, three-time NSL champions and have long dreamed of returning one day to the big league. West Adelaide’s path to this point has been a tad more complicated, and a far sight more inspirational. The club was all but extinct at the end of the 1998-99 season, folding its NSL arm amid mounting debts and dreadful results.

But a Hellas senior team finally returned in 2008 after seven years of dormancy, and has slowly climbed from the bottom of the Adelaide football pyramid back up to state-league level. Their coach is former Socceroo Joel Porter, perhaps best known to A-League fans for his three-year stint with Gold Coast United. Porter took over from Ross Aloisi earlier this year and is so far doing a sterling job – Hellas have lost just one game and are clear on top of the NPL ladder.

Earlier this year, 3000 fans watched the old Adelaide derby open the NPL season with a 1-1 draw at the Adelaide Shores football complex. A crowd anywhere up to 10,000 is expected at Hindmarsh on Saturday week. For a game involving state-league teams, that’s sensational. It’s the perfect storm. It will be a match for the ages.

And to think this is just the beginning. Forgotten NSL rivalries will reignite like this, over and over again, all over the country. New ones will emerge. Clubs and players will make names for themselves. At some point, David will slay Goliath.

The importance of the FFA Cup will be repeated ad nauseam over the weeks, months and years ahead, but it simply can’t be overstated. This is football at its most pure. Bring it on.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/05/21/return-of-adelaides-nsl-derby-proves-ffa-cup-is-a-winner-already/

Good article.

Grimario
21-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Will definitely be there. 3 games for $10? Whoo.

Premy
21-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Will definitely be there. 3 games for $10? Whoo.
What other games do you get besides the Cup match Grim? SANPL, Youth League?

Grimario
21-05-2014, 12:57 PM
What other games do you get besides the Cup match Grim? SANPL, Youth League?

I've watched one game at Adelaide Shores... but it was one of the FFA Cup games as well. Croydon Kingz vs Metrostars or something. I don't remember. Just went because it was football. Have yet to see any of the NPL stuff or any local league stuff.

I have actually watched MORE ultimate frisbee since being here than football :(

Premy
21-05-2014, 01:16 PM
I've watched one game at Adelaide Shores... but it was one of the FFA Cup games as well. Croydon Kingz vs Metrostars or something. I don't remember. Just went because it was football. Have yet to see any of the NPL stuff or any local league stuff.

I have actually watched MORE ultimate frisbee since being here than football :(
What was the quality like? Similar to local league back here?

Grimario
21-05-2014, 01:21 PM
What was the quality like? Similar to local league back here?

No idea. Apart from watching the Stockton Sharks due to a work mate playing for them, I hadn't ever watched anything local in Newcastle.

Fair to say the quality was much better than whatever division I watched the Sharks play.

Premy
21-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Fair enough, do you really think they will get 10,000 Saturday night or is that wishful thinking? Has there been much publicity and promotion of the game down there?

Grimario
21-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Fair enough, do you really think they will get 10,000 Saturday night or is that wishful thinking? Has there been much publicity and promotion of the game down there?

I haven't really been paying much attention because generally it is only ever AFL that gets a mention here. Sports news is generally 30% AFL, 45% SANFL and then maybe some other sports getting a mention... generally overseas stuff. Obviously a bit different when HAL is on but I haven't heard mention of anything NPL or FFA Cup related that I didn't get via one of the FCAU writers on twitter.

Grimario
21-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Also - don't know whether 10k is realistic. They had 3k for the NPL game between the sides but that was at Adelaide Shores. If there is a bit more promotion and people like me attend - who knows? There will be an U18, Reserves and the cup game for $10 so who knows.

Premy
21-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Clubs qualified so far

Act-
Tuggeranong

NSW-
South Coast Wolves
Manly United
Sydney Olympic

Premy
21-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Just found out of the 8 clubs in the Waratah Cup(NSW Knockout comp) quarter finals only 1 of those clubs miss out on qualifying for the FFA Cup.

The 4 quarter final loses get a 2nd chance
Then the 2 2nd chance loses get a 3rd chance

What a joke IMO NSW should get 6 spots and SA get another spot allocated to them, that way the NSW clubs only get 1 2nd chance.

GazFish35
21-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Just found out of the 8 clubs in the Waratah Cup(NSW Knockout comp) quarter finals only 1 of those clubs miss out on qualifying for the FFA Cup.

The 4 quarter final loses get a 2nd chance
Then the 2 2nd chance loses get a 3rd chance

What a joke IMO NSW should get 6 spots and SA get another spot allocated to them, that way the NSW clubs only get 1 2nd chance.

All based on numbers of registered players.
Hard to think of a fairer way.

Premy
22-05-2014, 12:35 AM
All based on numbers of registered players.
Hard to think of a fairer way.
Although I agree, the whole romance and excitement of a cup is that it's knockout, no 2nd chances let alone a 3rd chance.

2nd chance if unavoidable due to odd numbers fair enough, but 3rd chance is a bit hard to take. IMO

belchardo
28-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Thursday night shopping FFA Cup style

Thursday night shopping is a Sydney institution. I had suggested to my wife that Eastgardens shopping centre was as good as place as any to carry on this tradition.

Of course, I had slightly ulterior motives as well.

After dropping her off with some cash and credit cards I made my way across the road to the Eastgardens football ground.

Some recent articles on The Roar website had piqued my interest and I had discovered that there was to be a qualifying match for the FFA Cup between Hakoah Sydney City and Blacktown City.

So is the FFA Cup worth investing my time and energy in supporting it? Will it bring fans like myself back to grassroots and lower-tier football? Will it bring the ‘old’ football fraternity back into the fold?

After spending a good 30 seconds finding a prime parking spot I made my way to the grandly named Henley Athletic Field. Looking with some consternation at the solitary $10 note in my wallet I thought my FFA Cup odyssey might end at the first hurdle. How much would it cost to get in?

My answer was an open gate with no turnstile. Free! That was a great start and with my $10 note in hand I made my way to the kiosk at the bottom of the little stand that was doing a brisk trade.

There was a good selection of food and after a moment’s study I went for the chicken schnitzel sandwich at $6. It was cooked on the spot with some lettuce, mayonnaise and a brioche style bun. George Calombaris and Matt Preston would have been waxing lyrical. With a well made coffee I was able to find a seat in the small but comfortable and nearly full grandstand with $1 still in my pocket.

The ground itself was of the old East European style with the playing field ringed by an athletics track. The playing surface looked in immaculate condition and far surpassed that of the Allianz Stadium just five kilometres up the road.

The second hurdle of the night was actually a steeplechase hurdle at the northern end. Or perhaps it was a crowd barrier? It must have been the away end as there was nobody there. The big pole vault landing bags looked like fun. I might go there if I started to doze off. At the Port Botany end there were some people, maybe the Hakoah version of the RBB. They weren’t though, actually they were a bunch of kids having a vigorous game of ‘backyard soccer’, which seemed to go for the whole 90 minutes.

Ah but now the players were coming out and yes there was a tangible feeling of expectation. This was cup football after all. Hakoah, in blue, were the home team and were greeted by loud cheers, but they are underdogs to the Blacktown side in white, who plays in the division above them.

The fans certainly knew the players. ‘Come on Brad’ and ‘Get him David’ could be heard. Clearly there were plenty of family and friends in the crowd. When Hakoah scored a chant started which lasted a good 20 seconds until Blacktown equalised.

The play was fast and furious but was it just kick and chase? Definitely not. There were some clever moments of close passing and some good individual ball skills. I get the impression that the style of football is a more purely Australian style than the A-League as there are less overseas-schooled players and coaches. In fact no one gets much time on the ball, it’s high intensity and the fans seemed to enjoy it.

A call went over the loudspeaker, “can the owner of car with registration XXX-999 please move their vehicle”. Nice touch that. And again with a bit more expression, “the owner of vehicle XXX-999 you need to move your car now”. When the call was repeated more urgently with the added warning of “the council ranger is about to book you” the crowd went silent. I half expected the referee to stop the game and grab his car keys, but play continued. (:D)

For the second half I joined the fence leaners for a close up view. As Blacktown surged it seemed only a matter of time before they would break the deadlock. A mix up between defender and goalkeeper saw Blacktown take the lead. The beauty of these games is that you really feel part of the action. Everyone could quite clearly hear one of the defenders berating the others with a few colourful adjectives.

As Hakoah pressed for an equaliser the fans became more and more alive. I felt myself getting drawn in and lent them my support. After another chance sailed over the bar towards the shopping centre on my left I was reminded that I was supposed to meet my wife at 9:15pm. Suddenly my desire for extra time dissipated and fortunately for me there would be no equaliser.

Such are the vagaries of the NSW qualification process that Hakoah live to fight another day. In fact they can still afford to lose another match. I think this needs to change. You should not be allowed to lose a game and still continue in a knockout cup.

So what to make of my FFA Cup experience? For the fans, hope remains. The banter after the game is about whether they can make it to the main draw and play against an A-League side. So it appears that the ‘old soccer’ is on board.

Will I suddenly rush out and watch my local NPL side? Not yet. The FFA Cup is my entry point, however over time and with more exposure via the cup, I might change my view.

As far as the FFA Cup goes, at this level it is an absolute winner. I would encourage anyone to get out to one of the smaller venues to watch knockout football up close and personal. I know I will be back.

After all, what better way to spend a Thursday night? I was entertained and fed for less than $10 and my wife bought a new pair of shoes. As she pointed at the small envelope under the windscreen wiper I was brought back to earth. That’s right, my number plate is XXX-999.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/05/28/thursday-night-shopping-ffa-cup-style/

I chuckled a few times.

Blackmac79
31-05-2014, 10:43 AM
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-10180-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=29917301

For those interested the above link will have a stream of the South Australian qualifier.

3pm SA time.

hawk
31-05-2014, 10:59 AM
http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/05/28/thursday-night-shopping-ffa-cup-style/

I chuckled a few times.

Thursday night shopping
My answer was an open gate with no turnstile. Free! That was a great start and with my $10 note in hand I made my way to the kiosk at the bottom of the little stand that was doing a brisk trade.
The beauty of these games is that you really feel part of the action. Everyone could quite clearly hear one of the defenders berating the others with a few colourful adjectives.
The play was fast and furious but was it just kick and chase? Definitely not. There were some clever moments of close passing and some good individual ball skills. I get the impression that the style of football is a more purely Australian style than the A-League as there are less overseas-schooled players and coaches. In fact no one gets much time on the ball, it’s high intensity and the fans seemed to enjoy it.
Nice article and its these reasons i go to the Zone League games. The fan is close to the action and participation is essential.

hawk
31-05-2014, 11:01 AM
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-10180-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=29917301

For those interested the above link will have a stream of the South Australian qualifier.

3pm SA time.

nice find bm

Blackmac79
31-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Appears that the FFA Cup sits along side the FFSA cup as the players walk out/

Blackmac79
31-05-2014, 03:29 PM
No where near the 10,000 they were expecting. However still a decent crowd

Blackmac79
31-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Chants of Hellas fill the air, and Juve at the other end.

Grimario
31-05-2014, 03:41 PM
No where near the 10,000 they were expecting. However still a decent crowd

The weather here is shit. About 12 degrees and has been raining. I'm curled up in bed feeling like death, forgot I was even supposed to be going to this today. Ergh.

Blackmac79
31-05-2014, 03:45 PM
2-0/ city

Jeterpool
31-05-2014, 04:06 PM
2-0/ city

City well on top hey

Jeterpool
31-05-2014, 04:40 PM
2-1 now 49th min

Premy
31-05-2014, 05:17 PM
That was a belter

ToddG NBUnited
31-05-2014, 05:18 PM
3-1 a red and a bit of push and shove. Only watched the last 10 mins. Good quality stream.

Jeterpool
31-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Yeah it's over at 4-1

Blackmac79
01-06-2014, 08:49 AM
18 of the 32 teams have now qualified. Between now and the 20th of June the last 14 teams will be decided.

Draw will be held on the 26th.

Give us Wellington at home. That would be the easiest first round I think.

ToddG NBUnited
01-06-2014, 09:10 AM
anyone know how many of the 18 are ex nsl clubs? is the 18 including the A-league teams?

Premy
01-06-2014, 09:21 AM
anyone know how many of the 18 are ex nsl clubs? is the 18 including the A-league teams?
http://www.pursuitofthecupau.com/#!qualifications/ch6q

The 18 clubs include the A-League clubs.
4 old NSL club through so far
-Adelaide City
-Brisbane Strikers
-Sydney Olympic
-South Coast Wolves

Blackmac79
01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
18 includes aleague teams

And premy is right 4 ex NSL clubs.

Premy
01-06-2014, 10:37 AM
18 includes aleague teams

And premy is right 4 ex NSL clubs.

Actually with a bit of research it appears we're wrong Blacktown City played in the NSL in the 80's

hawk
01-06-2014, 11:08 AM
venue for cookers v inverell on june 21?

Premy
01-06-2014, 11:17 AM
venue for cookers v inverell on june 21?Quarter, Semi and Final in Coffs Harbor 21st/22nd June

hawk
01-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Quarter, Semi and Final in Coffs Harbor 21st/22nd June

cheers

highlights from round the country
http://www.pursuitofthecupau.com/#!highlights/c17v1

Blackmac79
01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Actually with a bit of research it appears we're wrong Blacktown City played in the NSL in the 80's

I think it was only for a season. (I stand corrected 2 seasons 1980-1981, when they came second last and were relegated, came 4th from bottom in their first season in the top flight.)

It was one of the many times they tried to "main stream" the NSL.

City have always been pushing for but failing at gaining promotion to the NSL from the state league.

MFKS
01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
I think it was only for a season. (I stand corrected 2 seasons 1980-1981, when they came second last and were relegated, came 4th from bottom in their first season in the top flight.)

It was one of the many times they tried to "main stream" the NSL.

City have always been pushing for but failing at gaining promotion to the NSL from the state league.

Didn't a few of the Newy lads like Ralph Maier play for them back in the day????

Blackmac79
01-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Didn't a few of the Newy lads like Ralph Maier play for them back in the day????

From rags to pitches

February 24, 2008

Newcastle has made it onto the national stage but it's not the first time the city has competed for a major football trophy, writes Michael Cockerill.

It's not the same but it is some silverware, and Clint Gosling has a medal to corroborate it.

The march of the Newcastle Jets to the grand final has, understandably, caught the imagination of the city. Today's championship decider is, unquestionably, a defining moment for a sport which has a long and proud history in the region but which for 30 years at the professional end has struggled to make an impression.

But amid the euphoria there has been some revisionism. This is not the first time Newcastle has competed for a trophy. Only the diehards might remember it, but Gosling - now on the coaching staff at the Jets - hasn't. Twenty-four years ago, on a bitterly cold mid-winter's night at Olympic Park, he was in goal for Newcastle Rosebuds when they won the NSL Cup final - a single goal from stocky English striker Derek Todd enough to see off the much-fancied Melbourne Knights.

No one had given the underdogs much of a chance, and Gosling admits: "We weren't a flash team." But under passionate Scottish coach Willie Gallagher, who didn't mind dropping an expletive or two in the dressing room, they had another important ingredient.

"We worked our nuts off for each other," says Gosling.

The players whooped for joy at the final whistle but there was no lap of honour. There was no point. Gosling reckons there were "maybe two or three" Newcastle fans amid the 4000 who turned up.

After a night at a "dodgy motel", the players flew home the next day, and there were some celebrations at the licensed club at Adamstown and a muted civic reception. But facts are facts, and alongside teammates such as John McQuarrie, Joe Senkalski, Ralph Maier, Michael Boogaard, Neil Owens, Simon Brandt and Dean Milosevic, Gosling - a former New Zealand international - has fond memories of the success.

The victory against the odds came in an era when football in Newcastle was fighting against the odds. Newcastle KB United had entered the NSL in 1978 but despite big crowds in the early years were disbanded in 1983. Rosebuds, one of Australia's oldest clubs (founded 1889), stepped out of the local league and into the breach to keep the flag flying, winning the cup in their first year, but Gosling recalls: "It was a club on a shoestring. Basically, we were amateurs. We didn't get a zack for the whole season."

By 1986, Newcastle Rosebuds, too, had withered, and after a four-year absence from national league football a new club, Newcastle Breakers, was established at Birmingham Gardens. But the Breakers also went broke before Con Constantine bought the licence, shifted the team to EnergyAustralia Stadium and re-badged the team as Newcastle United Jets. It was to be a case of fourth time lucky for Newcastle on the national stage.

Constantine, of course, has what none of his predecessors did - money, and plenty of it. The flamboyant property developer and owner of Parklea Markets has blown $15 million on his passion in the past eight years but it hasn't deterred him. Far from it.

Making the grand final - a prize gift-wrapped by a place in the 2009 Asian Champions League - is Constantine's payday. Any doubts about his commitment were dispelled in the aftermath of last weekend's preliminary final win over Queensland Roar. Constantine left his chairman's box before the final whistle to march through the crowd, high-fiving as he went, on his way to the dressing room, where he back-slapped and bear-hugged his players. From there he went back outside before diving, knee-first, into the turf and stretching his arms out to salute the hardcore supporters in "The Squadron". Constantine was last seen heading to Fanny's nightclub, where he celebrated long into the night.

Certainly, there's a feeling professional football in Newcastle has finally crossed the Rubicon. Even the city's traditional standard-bearers, Newcastle Knights, are suggesting the Jets now deserve to be treated as equals. Constantine, who straddles "old soccer" and "new football", has been the catalyst but many others have made sacrifices along the way. There's no doubt it's been a long, hard, road for professional football in Newcastle - literally. Just ask David Lowe.

Lowe, a former Socceroos striker, is a massive fan of the Jets, and watches the team each week from his vantage point in the media box. He's well-placed to assess the progress that's been made.

In 1984, Lowe could have stayed in town and joined the Rosebuds. Instead, after playing in the previous year's World Youth Championships in Mexico, he decided to accept an offer from national coach Les Scheinflug to join Marconi Stallions. And so began his love/hate relationship with what was then called the Pacific Highway. From his front door at Georgetown, to the stadium at Bossley Park, the trip took around 2½ hours. That's a five-hour return journey, although it varied.

"It depended on how much money I had in my pocket, and how many TABs I stopped at along the way," Lowe recalls.

Marconi trained between three and five times a week, and Lowe's battered Mitsubishi Sigma copped a flogging. So did McDonald's, while Lowe's back seat was renowned for being piled up with empty Coke bottles. In all, Lowe trashed three of his father's cars during his eight years on the road.

"In the early days, the freeway ended at Doyalson, so you had to go down the old highway, and at the other end Pennant Hills Road was still two-way," he says.

"The first three years I did it by myself, but then a few other Newie boys (Bobby Naumov, Mark Jones, Sean Ingham, Ralph Maier and Graham Jennings) got contracts in Sydney, so we car-pooled. We'd usually set off about three in the afternoon, and get home just before midnight, but if Jonesy was driving, we'd shave off a fair bit of time. One night I woke up going down the Swansea bends, and I think he was doing 140."

Lowe and his peers went to Sydney to play not so much for the money but the opportunity.

"In those days you had to get out of Newcastle to get noticed," he says. "If you wanted to play for Australia, that's what you did. I don't regret it, there were some great memories, but I wouldn't recommend it. But these days no one has to leave town, we had eight players in the last Socceroos squad. You've got players wanting to come to Newcastle, not the other way around.

"I wish I was playing now, that much I do know. It's completely different, so much more professional. It's about time."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/from-rags-to-pitches/2008/02/23/1203467454649.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

*Todd you should start archiving articles like this.

hawk
01-06-2014, 01:10 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/from-rags-to-pitches/2008/02/23/1203467454649.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

*Todd you should start archiving articles like this.

big topic, good luck

Blackmac79
01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Due to the victorian draw only one of South Melbourne or Melbourne Knights will make it through to the final 32.

Knights play Green Gully, with the Winner playing South.

Question is who would I like the chance to visit more. South Probably, but Knights would be good cause they actually have active support.

Blackmac79
01-06-2014, 05:42 PM
34 teams are competing for the last 14 spots.

Blackmac79
03-06-2014, 12:34 PM
The two WA teams are now locked in.

30 teams left in qualification.

12 spots left

Blackmac79
03-06-2014, 12:37 PM
3 spots in NSW
2 spots in northern nsw
2 spots in qld
4 in vic
1 in TAS

Blackmac79
03-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Green gully play knights tonight or tomorrow I think. Winner plays south, winner of that qualifies

Premy
03-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Quarter, Semi and Final in Coffs Harbor 21st/22nd June
Update from NNSW
http://www.northernnswfootball.com.au/index.php?id=10&tx_ttnews[year]=2014&tx_ttnews[month]=06&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3523&cHash=9345e2fc545267bcafce3d720b169eec

If 2 southern Clubs make the Final it will be rescheduled for a Final in Newcastle.

Premy
03-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Green gully play knights tonight or tomorrow I think. Winner plays south, winner of that qualifies

Knights won 4-1

Blackmac79
04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Balls...

http://www.pursuitofthecupau.com/#!Umbro-launch-official-Westfield-FFA-Cup-ball/c1mex/1B398A63-EE91-45F0-A322-B2D70E1D350F

Premy
04-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Sydney United (Croatia) just qualified beating Parramatta FC
Hakoah play Northern Tigers tomorrow night the winner qualifies and the loser plays Parramatta FC for the last NSW place

Blackmac79
06-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Hakoah East Sydney have made it to the cup.

Lowy's club to win the inaugural cup.

Blackmac79
06-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Queensland Clubs:

Brisbane Strikers:

Olympic FC:

Blackmac79
06-06-2014, 11:22 AM
South Australia:

Adelaide City FC:

Blackmac79
06-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Australian Capital Territory:

Blackmac79
06-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Western Australia:

Stirling Lions FC:

Bayswater City FC:

belchardo
06-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Don't think they'll play at kambah in the ACT. There are a number of nearby grounds with covered grandstands that seat a few thousand. Kambah has a few dodgy metal seats.

Blackmac79
06-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Don't think they'll play at kambah in the ACT. There are a number of nearby grounds with covered grandstands that seat a few thousand. Kambah has a few dodgy metal seats.

I think you are right. More likely to play where they normally play A-league teams that go down there preseason.

Blackmac79
10-06-2014, 12:56 PM
South Hobart have qualified.

Now there would be a trip.

Blackmac79
10-06-2014, 01:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9r57l8VO-Q

Blackmac79
11-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Seeing as this is going to be a mid-week thing, I would like to see the FFA mandate ticket prices. $10 adult, $5 a child. Encourage people to show up.

Premy
11-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Seeing as this is going to be a mid-week thing, I would like to see the FFA mandate ticket prices. $10 adult, $5 a child. Encourage people to show up.
Yeah I agree I'm not going to fork out $20+ to watch football at a state league ground.

Blackmac79
11-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Yeah I agree I'm not going to fork out $20+ to watch football at a state league ground.

I would fork it out. I am just thinking of the wider audience here.

borat
18-06-2014, 05:02 PM
2 of the 4 possible game dates have a confirmed venue of Vikings Park in Waniassa.

The other 2 are yet to be confirmed

GazFish35
18-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Will we have to be a jets member to buy tickets in the away section?

Blackmac79
24-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Draw this friday.

Home to wellington would be nice.

Premy
25-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Knights have beat South Melbourne to claim the last slot.
Draw a 12pm Friday.

furns
26-06-2014, 11:31 AM
So the two Northern clubs to qualify were Magic and who?

slobsy
26-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Southy

boz-monaut
26-06-2014, 11:53 AM
it breaks my heart to think that Cooks Hill United were one win away from a possible match up with an A-league team

not a bad effort to get that far, but still...

q-money
26-06-2014, 11:54 AM
the magic of the cup

Skirt Boy
26-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Oi Gunners made the final 32.......

Never going to hear the ****ing end of it.

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Draw on now.

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Zappers hosting, Paul okon and mile sterjovski will conduct the draw

Grimario
27-06-2014, 12:02 PM
http://www.theffacup.com.au/article/live-stream---watch-the-round-of-32-draw-here/z1ngee4c4i0l1scykzoqstrhh

For anyone wanting to watch live

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:03 PM
This is the greatest thing to happen to our game since south melbourne

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Newcastle jets v Perth at home!

Bremsstrahlung
Jets vs Perth

parksey
perth glory

parksey
27-06-2014, 12:05 PM
melb city vs sydney fc - "two heavy-weights"

Grimario
27-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Magic host Brisbane Strikers

parksey
27-06-2014, 12:11 PM
seems kinda stupid to separate the aleague sides from the state league clubs at the start of the tournament.

parksey
27-06-2014, 12:12 PM
oh wait up, who decides which aleague clubs and state league clubs go into which pots?

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Newcastle jets v Perth glory
Melbourne city v Sydney FC
Adelaide united v Wellington pheonix
Broadmeadow magic v Brisbane strikers
Sydney united v far North Queensland heat
Parramatta FC v St. Albans saints
Olympic FC v Melbourne knights
Manly united v Sydney Olympic
South Hobart v tuggernong united
Hakoah East Sydney v palm beach sharks
South Springvale v South Cardiff FC
Blacktown city FC v Bentleigh greens
South coast wolves v central coast mariners
Bayswater city v Melbourne victory
Adelaide city v western Sydney wanderers
Stirling lions v Brisbane roar

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:15 PM
oh wait up, who decides which aleague clubs and state league clubs go into which pots?

It goes on last seasons finishing spot, top 4 (pot a) bottom 6 (pot b)

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Good draw for newy. All three teams.

pv4
27-06-2014, 12:16 PM
I was under the impression at this stage they didn't have pots and just randomly drew any team against any one.

How did they decide which HAL teams went in the HAL-only pot, and which state league clubs went in the shared pot?

Disappointed with how this draw has been done TBH. Even from the start of the Newcastle State Cup - it should all just be random and not seeded

Grimario
27-06-2014, 12:17 PM

Top 4 finishers in HAL go Pot A.
Remaining 6 HAL play each other, random draw Pot B for 3 fixtures.
All state clubs in Pot C. Random draw for 9 State vs State fixtures
Remaining Pot C at home to Pot A for 4 fixtures.

16 total

Newcastle jets v Perth glory
Melbourne city v Sydney FC
Adelaide united v Wellington pheonix
Broadmeadow magic v Brisbane strikers
Sydney united v far North Queensland heat
Parramatta FC v St. Albans saints
Olympic FC v Melbourne knights
Manly united v Sydney Olympic
South Hobart v tuggernong united
Hakoah East Sydney v palm beach sharks
South Springvale v South Cardiff FC
Blacktown city FC v Bentleigh greens
South coast wolves v central coast mariners
Bayswater city v Melbourne victory
Adelaide city v western Sydney wanderers
Stirling lions v Brisbane roar

Mark325
27-06-2014, 12:17 PM
May have been said already but are they going to be streaming or showing all these games on T.V?

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:18 PM
I was under the impression at this stage they didn't have pots and just randomly drew any team against any one.

How did they decide which HAL teams went in the HAL-only pot, and which state league clubs went in the shared pot?

Disappointed with how this draw has been done TBH. Even from the start of the Newcastle State Cup - it should all just be random and not seeded

It was done to ensure that a stateleague club would make the semis .

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:20 PM
**** de bohun

pv4
27-06-2014, 12:21 PM

What a shit idea.

zorse
27-06-2014, 12:22 PM
May have been said already but are they going to be streaming or showing all these games on T.V?
Fox Sports to show 10 matches including quarter finals, semis and final, according to this article: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/all-set-for-round-of-32-ffa-cup-draw/1r5p0qks5dujd1pxmqug7pjc57

borat
27-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Personally I think thats lame. The luck of the draw in the FA cup where any club can be drawn out is what makes it special. IMO the State League would relish the opportunity to play the A-league teams in this round regardless of potential to progress.

pv4
27-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Personally I think thats lame. The luck of the draw in the FA cup where any club can be drawn out is what makes it special. IMO the State League would relish the opportunity to play the A-league teams in this round regardless of potential to progress.

Similarly, I remember Muswellbrook (ZL3 at the time from memory) beat one or two clubs in a division or two higher than them (Suns and someone else from memory) a few years back and were drawn to play Weston in the next game. Weston won 3 or 4 nil, but even the Weston boys congratulated the Mussy boys on the effort they put in against them and said it wasn't an easy win by any means. THAT, my friends, was the beauty of the cup. Since then, I haven't heard even the slightest amount of satisfaction from the teams and games that Mussy or many ZL clubs have drawn.

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:26 PM

I agree. It's likely to change next season. The state cups die next year. Taken over by this competition

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:27 PM
It's a great ****ing competition. Can't wait. With the farking thing boys

pv4
27-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Who hosts the final? What does the winner get - prize money and a trophy, or does it tie in with ACL somehow?

Skirt Boy
27-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Perth? We are ****ed..............and I really do hope Southy get smashed.

Bremsstrahlung
27-06-2014, 12:38 PM
I really do hope Southy get smashed.
I'm sure they care.

Bon
27-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I really do hope Southy get smashed.

Why??

Mark325
27-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Even though they did have a guideline with the FA cup, this is still the first time doing this. Third time round this should be perfected and it will reach it's full potential by then.

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Who hosts the final? What does the winner get - prize money and a trophy, or does it tie in with ACL somehow?

ACL is up to AFC. But I would think it is likely to be our cup winner, grand final winner, and Competition First past the post from now on.

Bremsstrahlung
27-06-2014, 12:45 PM
I agree. It's likely to change next season. The state cups die next year. Taken over by this competition
How do the state cups die? (Not taking the piss or having a go)
Would it not be similar to this year how the state cup is seen as a qualifying Cup?
Geographical grouped qualifying is the only way to keep this viable.

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:50 PM
How do the state cups die? (Not taking the piss or having a go)
Would it not be similar to this year how the state cup is seen as a qualifying Cup?
Geographical grouped qualifying is the only way to keep this viable.

The FFA has mandated that this competition (The FFA cup) is to replace the State Cups. Therefore from next season ALL clubs will qualify via a state based FFA run cup competition. It will reduce mistakes like this season where they needed "play-offs" for the Final NSW spot. It will still be georaphically grouped but the statecups as they are known now (Waratah Cup, Dockerty Cup etc) will cease to exist, or at least that is the idea.

Skirt Boy
27-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Why??

just to shut the old man up.

Bremsstrahlung
27-06-2014, 12:52 PM
The FFA has mandated that this competition (The FFA cup) is to replace the State Cups. Therefore from next season ALL clubs will qualify via a state based FFA run cup competition. It will reduce mistakes like this season where they needed "play-offs" for the Final NSW spot. It will still be georaphically grouped but the statecups as they are known now (Waratah Cup, Dockerty Cup etc) will cease to exist, or at least that is the idea.
Thanks!
Interesting to see what kind of prize money is offered for progression to various stages for lower league teams. E.g. will NNSW still fund rewards for winning round 1,2,3 etc.

borat
27-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Will it change how the HAL clubs are drawn?

Seriously how boring is Perth v Jets going to be in pre-season? I would much rather see us go to Hobart and get spanked by a team playing 4 levels above their usual standard than trot a out a boring pre-season game that neither Jets or Perth will take seriously

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Will it change how the HAL clubs are drawn?

Seriously how boring is Perth v Jets going to be in pre-season? I would much rather see us go to Hobart and get spanked by a team playing 4 levels above their usual standard than trot a out a boring pre-season game that neither Jets or Perth will take seriously

Fortunately the way the draw is set up we are unlikely to play another A-league side should we make it through this first game until the semis, so at least 2 games against state.

Bon
27-06-2014, 01:01 PM
just to shut the old man up.

I was going to say, I thought your old-boy was a massive Southy/Cardiff man from his youth..

borat
27-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Fortunately the way the draw is set up we are unlikely to play another A-league side should we make it through this first game until the semis, so at least 2 games against state.

Thanks for the info. I think the Cup comp is a great ideas just the draw could be a lot better.

I would just rather see all teams in one pot and the luck of the draw prevails. And I think the tougher games are going to be against the NPL teams who are mid season and busting to progress compared to HAL who are just starting pre-season going to use this as a warm up game. Mariners for example are going to be in for a fight in Wollongong

WolfMan
27-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Hopefully they schedule the Magic game for a different date than the Jets. Keen to see both

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Magic Jul 29
Jets Aug 5
South Cardiff Aug 12

MFKS
27-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Suppose good news is when we get knocked out It will be a HAL club and not some no name nobodies

WolfMan
27-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Magic Jul 29
Jets Aug 5
South Cardiff Aug 12
Cheers mate

ToddG NBUnited
27-06-2014, 03:13 PM
How is the next round of matches decided, is it winner game 1 v winner game 12 etc or another pot draw?

Thomas477
27-06-2014, 04:07 PM
How is the next round of matches decided, is it winner game 1 v winner game 12 etc or another pot draw?

Another pot draw.

Premy
27-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Another pot draw.
Incorrect follow the link you can see how it works out from here. As blackmac said earlier it all works out so a state club makes the semi's.

Blackmac79
27-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Incorrect follow the link you can see how it works out from here. As blackmac said earlier it all works out so a state club makes the semi's.

It's still a pot draw?

Aleague clubs go into pot a, every one else in pot b.

Premy
27-06-2014, 05:32 PM
For some reason the link didn't work
http://www.pursuitofthecupau.com/#!howitworks/c4nz

Not according to this it isn't.

Edit my bad I didn't read the fine print.

joel31
27-06-2014, 06:41 PM
pleased with draw. Bring it on!!

MFKS
28-06-2014, 04:45 AM
pleased with draw. Bring it on!!

Despite the fact we always lose to Perth regardless of how rubbish they are???

joel31
28-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Despite the fact we always lose to Perth regardless of how rubbish they are???
I mean the fact that it's a home game not interstate

GazFish35
28-06-2014, 06:06 PM
I hope it ****ing pisses down.
If it does, Kew to score a ****ing belting own goal.

Blackmac79
30-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Broadmeadow vs strikers to be shown live on fox sports.

South Cardiff game to be a single camera game which can be "crossed to live"

lquiquer
30-06-2014, 06:22 PM
And sounds like Jets - Perth not being played at Newy stadium....... What's the best option? Magic? Number 2?.......

Bremsstrahlung
30-06-2014, 06:26 PM
And sounds like Jets - Perth not being played at Newy stadium....... What's the best option? Magic? Number 2?.......

Probably take it to a regional ground and babble on about community project.

WolfMan
30-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Number 2 would be awesome

boz-monaut
30-06-2014, 07:28 PM
shit yeah - walk to a Jets game, get dragged home

Blackmac79
30-06-2014, 07:42 PM
As long as it's not fecking cessnock

No. 2 would be good

northern_swan
30-06-2014, 09:36 PM
No2 after a season of rugby? Risky. Then again, would be just like home

BodyNovo
30-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Should be played at hunter stadium

I see it as disrespect to the competition taking it elsewhere

If they want the competition to be something special than it should be played at the correct home venue. You don't see clubs in cup competitions around the world taking there games elsewhere.

Plus we get to goto the tenz :)

pv4
01-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Pretty keen on heading to the Magic, Jerks & SC Wolves games.

Superdylan
01-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Should be played at hunter stadium

I see it as disrespect to the competition taking it elsewhere

If they want the competition to be something special than it should be played at the correct home venue. You don't see clubs in cup competitions around the world taking there games elsewhere.

Plus we get to goto the tenz :)

Good point there body. Anyways the knights play in cairns the weekend before and the week after they play the storm at home so surely the pitch won't be in too bad condition.

South coast wolves are playing central coast at win stadium so there will be some larger grounds used.

boz-monaut
01-07-2014, 10:45 AM
I'll probably head along to some of the western Sydney games as well - Jones will be keen, anyone else is welcome to join us for some exotic sausages

ForeverRed
01-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Magic Jul 29
Jets Aug 5
South Cardiff Aug 12
South Cardiff are on the 29th July also

Beast
01-07-2014, 06:57 PM
How will the State League clubs go being the regular season will be finish by second round. With players leaving to change clubs for the following season will they still be keen on playing games knowing they are not at that club next year. Prob suit A League clubs who are on the build up, state league in post season mode. Thoughts ?

baldrick
08-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Has anyone heard wher the Jets v Perth game will be played ?

Jetmaster
08-07-2014, 10:50 AM
The Member has voiced his concerns of excess travel so the game will be at Ray Watt Oval.

GazFish35
08-07-2014, 06:50 PM
It'll be in the one place most difficult and uncomfortable for fans to get to, but the best suited for TV.

The game is not about the fans.

Superdylan
11-07-2014, 08:42 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/perthglory/news-display/glory-all-set-for-tough-preseason-test/91151

According to this article we are playing againgst Perth glory at wanderers oval for the FFA cup game.

GazFish35
11-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Glory will head to Newcastle to take on the Jets in the FFA Cup, in a Round of 32 match, that is scheduled to kick off at 7.30pm on the 5th August. The game will be played at Magic Park, Newcastle, given the pitch refurbishment work that is due to commence at Hunter Stadium shortly. The game will likely have an extra bit of bite, given the off season signing, by Glory, of Ruben Zadkovich, the former Jet’s captain.

Good find SD

Superdylan
11-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Good find SD

Yeah it was. Hearing Melbourne city & Sydney fc could be playing in balarat.

Hopefully we can pack out wanderers oval.

Premy
11-07-2014, 10:20 PM
"The game will be played at Magic Park, Newcastle, given the pitch refurbishment work that is due to commence at Hunter Stadium shortly."
What a crock of shit excuse that is, they take us for mugs do they really expect us to believe that. Had they of come out and said it would be to expansive to play at Hunter Stadium due to the expected small crowd I would of accepted that. Now they pedal some bullshit excuse and lie to us.

joel31
13-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Magic Park is a better pitch than hunter stadium anyway

BodyNovo
14-07-2014, 12:31 PM
The Newcastle Jets will play their FFA Cup Round of 32 fixture against fellow Hyundai A-League side Perth Glory at Magic Park, Broadmeadow on Tuesday, August 5.

Kick-off for the match will be at 7.30pm, with gates opening an hour beforehand at 6.30pm.

Tickets will be available via Ticketmaster and will go on sale on from 10am Friday, July 18. Jets Members are encouraged to pre-purchase their tickets from Ticketmaster to receive a discounted price of $12 for adults and $5 for children.

All tickets will be sold as General Admission, however there will be limited unreserved seating available. The capacity of Magic Park, Broadmeadow is 4,500.

“We’re very excited to be hosting our inaugural FFA Cup fixture at Magic Park in Broadmeadow,” Newcastle Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said.

“The FFA Cup is a competition that engages all levels of the Australian football community from the grassroots through to the A-League.

“We believe a community venue like Magic Park will allow for an intimate and exciting atmosphere and provide the perfect setting for us to commence our FFA Cup campaign on what will be an historic night for the Club.”

The Westfield FFA Cup is a national knockout tournament run by Football Federation Australia in conjunction with the State and Territory Member Federations in Queensland, New South Wales, Northern New South Wales, Victoria, Australian Capital Territory, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia.

Each and every cup tie must be decided on the day, with extra time and penalties to decide results of matches drawn after 90 minutes.

Over 600 clubs will play in the feeder competitions run by the states and territories. The Hyundai A-League clubs will join the competition in the Round of 32, alongside 22 clubs who have progressed from the ranks of the semi-professional and amateur tiers.

The 2014 Westfield FFA Cup final will be played on Tuesday 16 December.

will be interesting to see what they charge for this.

GazFish35
14-07-2014, 02:17 PM
will be interesting to see what they charge for this.

$12 for jets members

BodyNovo
14-07-2014, 02:24 PM
lel just read it through.

went straight through to the keeper

GazFish35
14-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Interesting what the non-members price will be.

Premy
16-07-2014, 05:52 PM
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/south-cardiff-gunning-ffa-cup-run

Bit of a write up on South Cardiff from 442.

parksey
17-07-2014, 10:07 AM
who's selling the ticket for this?

Blackmac79
18-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Ticketmaster.

Only 4500 tickets available with them going on sale in 1.5hrs. Can see this one selling out.

Blackmac79
18-07-2014, 10:04 AM
ticket purchased.

GazFish35
18-07-2014, 10:34 AM
$12

Pigs arse.

Ticket is listed at $12.21.... add their "handling charge" and it was $15.16

Why not just say tickets are $15.50 and if you buy more in one purchase its cheaper.

Being told they're less than it actually costs you just pisses people off.

Blackmac79
18-07-2014, 11:00 AM
I only paid 12.21. Free printing. was impressed.

WolfMan
18-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Ticket purchased. Free Outlet pickup (Entertainment Centre). Thank **** they aren't charging us for doing the legwork

EDIT: got ticketek and ticketmaster confused. Apparently HelloWorld (travel agent) in Wickham are the nearest outlet

Jeterpool
18-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Ticket purchased.

$2.95 handling fee, plus a fee for each ticket too!?!? Jeez.