PDA

View Full Version : Next Socceroos Coach

joel31
13-09-2013, 10:11 AM
When Holger goes which is hopefully asap, who do you want to replace him?

Premy
13-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Slobs

Jetmaster
13-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Fergie....

furns
13-09-2013, 10:52 AM
poll invalid due to no slobs option

boz-monaut
13-09-2013, 10:57 AM
fixed the poll

also not discussed is how the double effay will afford to pay out Holger's contract and then hire a new manager - something that would probably cost millions

millions that could be invested in youth development which if they'd done sooner would probably have avoided us being in this mess in the first place - no manager on the planet can make up for the fact we've got very few quality players

joel31
13-09-2013, 11:31 AM
fixed the poll

also not discussed is how the double effay will afford to pay out Holger's contract and then hire a new manager - something that would probably cost millions

millions that could be invested in youth development which if they'd done sooner would probably have avoided us being in this mess in the first place - no manager on the planet can make up for the fact we've got very few quality players
Holger's contract is only til the end of the world cup

boz-monaut
13-09-2013, 12:14 PM
and it's a wartertight contract that he'll be paid out, plus compensated if he makes the world cup and is sacked

oops

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2008/08/28/va1237327135245/Ben-Buckley-6222511.jpg

MFKS
13-09-2013, 12:34 PM
fixed the poll

Money could be easily invested in youth development. Unfortunately far too much money goes to players thanks to the PFA and their bargaining. They have struck a deal with the FFA to make a brand of the Socceroos by getting the Kewells Vidukas Cahills etc playing regularly. This has also had a side effect which has seen HAL players well over paid. Money that could have been spent on Junior Development.

Anyways there is no great focus on Yoof development anyway. Outside of Gypos Perth and Jets none of the other teams have Yoof teams playing outside of the NYL. Look at the likes of Smurfs wasting 2 million a year on ADP yet don't even have a Yoof team playing all year round. The commitment is not there :banghead:

joel31
13-09-2013, 04:05 PM
poll invalid due to no slobs option
forgive me for my naïvity but whos slobs?

russjaybee
13-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Rofl

Thomas477
13-09-2013, 05:48 PM
We should sack Holger, and bring in a manager who is told, "use this World Cup as a building exercise and promote youth. Results aren't your main priority, developing the youth is."

Said manager should be given from now to the end of the Russian campaign. That should be enough to develop a solid team.

Grimario
12-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Bump

#BREAKING: #Socceroos Coach Holger Osieck has reportedly been fired after this morning's 6-0 defeat to France #FRAvAUS

http://www.twitter.com/ABCNews24/status/388803565092749312

joel31
12-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Want 2 say Thankyou to Holger for getting us to our 3rd WORLD CUP. Is this a first get us to WC and get the sack. Sad day for Football in oz
Tim Cahill's twitter

Blackmac79
12-10-2013, 11:20 AM
**** off Cahill. You are a useless twat.

Go and read on the Leopold Method there is an article basically using match stats to show that Socceroos with Cahill < Socceroos with Kennedy.

MFKS
12-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Any chance we can get GVE the gig now Holgers gone???

Tommyjet
12-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Realistically Arnie,purely so the scum are weakened

GazFish35
12-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Popovic FFS?

He's been in charge for one season.

Hiddink or Bielsa would see fozz have a heart attack and not be able to do TV anymore, so I'll vote that way.

Is this poll going to be sent to the FFA?

furns
12-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Bielsa /discussion

Premy
12-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Wow we are desperate!!!

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/is-zico-the-man-to-lead-the-socceroos/story-fni2wcjl-1226738932919

Local foz member inline for the top job and its not Slobs:roflz:

Grimario
12-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Is it me? :gent:

Finally, the thousands and thousands of hours lost over the last 13 years to CM and FM are paying dividends.

Zico
13-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Wow we are desperate!!!

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/is-zico-the-man-to-lead-the-socceroos/story-fni2wcjl-1226738932919

Local foz member inline for the top job and its not Slobs:roflz:

I told everybody I know my shit :grin: but no way would I even want the sinking ship that this football system currently is.

MFKS loves the current development system but I couldn't agree more with this article. Piss off the dutch system, find a system that fits in with our style and tweek it a little with the best of the different styles from around the world and GET RID OF THE OLD FARTS WHO ARE TO SLOW!!!!! :banghead:

militiamon
13-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Hiddink, Bielsa, Zico, Di Matteo - if we were to get any of these guys currently being touted it'd be several levels above the last appointments.

plague
13-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Easiest poll ever to vote on.
good luck Slobs.

joel31
13-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Bielsa /discussion
yes all the way of we can get him

russjaybee
13-10-2013, 03:18 PM
It's a pretty good gig when you think about it.

You get to manage a nation at the world cup that realistically has little to no expectations, also getting paid a shit-tonne.

Whoever comes in has such short notice and such a basket case they're inheriting, they're not really risking anything by taking the job.

hawk
13-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Marcelo Alberto Bielsa Caldera nicknamed Loco Bielsa [ˈloko ˈβjelsa], English: Madman Bielsa; born 21 July 1955) is an Argentine football coach and former defender. Bielsa has managed football clubs and also the national teams of Argentina and Chile. In Chile, he achieved cult status due to the improved results of the national team under his leadership. His personality and gestures have in Chile captured the attention of media and unleashed a series of minor controversies both in the area of sports and politics.
If Mayfield wont release slobs>Marchello>Posta even tho he did coach the ollyroos to -5pts over 8 years

MFKS
13-10-2013, 07:15 PM
I told everybody I know my shit :grin: but no way would I even want the sinking ship that this football system currently is.

MFKS loves the current development system but I couldn't agree more with this article. Piss off the dutch system, find a system that fits in with our style and tweek it a little with the best of the different styles from around the world and GET RID OF THE OLD FARTS WHO ARE TO SLOW!!!!! :banghead:

Bit confused Zico.

Either you are trolling or a complete Dumb ****.

I think you will find I am critical of the current development system. I am a big believer in the Youth Development ideology though. What we see at present isn't enough. Sure the FFA have made some progress but they have not gone far enough and many things they have done should have been done earlier or differently

That also being said these results have been coming and will continue to come until we make some sweeping changes. Unfortunately a hell of a lot of money is being frittered away by the FFA and the HAL Clubs and not going to Youth development which to me should be getting a large percentage of revenue plonked on it not the lip service it has been getting since the pond was drained in 2004

Zico
13-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Bit confused Zico.

Either you are trolling or a complete Dumb ****.

I think you will find I am critical of the current development system. I am a big believer in the Youth Development ideology though. What we see at present isn't enough. Sure the FFA have made some progress but they have not gone far enough and many things they have done should have been done earlier or differently

That also being said these results have been coming and will continue to come until we make some sweeping changes. Unfortunately a hell of a lot of money is being frittered away by the FFA and the HAL Clubs and not going to Youth development which to me should be getting a large percentage of revenue plonked on it not the lip service it has been getting since the pond was drained in 2004
I love fishing when you are around :yay:

Jeterpool
14-10-2013, 10:09 AM
I've been pondering ove rthe weekend who will take the role. I think we will appoint a person short term for the world cup only and replace them after that.

A lot of people in the media have been talking about Ange, among others, as the next coach. I'm torn because I think he would do well with the team. But realistically he gets them for a week or two every couple of months. Do we want to lose Ange, Arnie, or Poppa from their daily exposure to the A-League, teaching the next gen of socceroos? Is a position as an A-League coach tenable while also having the committment of the Australian position?

It all depends on the approach teh FFA take - coach just for world cup? Coach for world cup with option for longer period dependant on results? Next coach with view to future, regardless of results at the world cup?

Not tryign to make any point, just writing down my current thought process.

Premy
14-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I just finished reading a article that quoted gallop saying their looking for someone to see us threw the World Cup and build for the Asian Cup. The article focused on the Asian Cup being the reason Osiek was sacked as continued poor results would result in little interest in the Asian Cup, where the FFA need to make $14m on ticket sales and they expect the National side to get over half that figure. Also that the FFA are looking for new naming rights to the National team something they value to be $5m and poor performances will see that figure drop.

pv4
14-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Who I expect them to sign: Di Matteo till the end of the Asian Cup

Who I want them to sign: Ange until the end of Russia 2018.

IMO we need to invest in a national system, and actually employ said system. We need someone willing to promote youth, and transform an entire style of play. And we need to invest 4+ years on whoever we bring in, to give them a proper chance of implementing said system. Ange is the man for this.

The way we were heading we were never going to get good results in Brazil anyway, so short term results should not matter one bit.

plague
14-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Ange made a great case on Offsiders yesterday that it should be the best bloke, not the fact he's Aussie.
He also said that he's not interested in the short term gig and that if he was given a mandate to qualify for Russia '18 then that's the way to go.
I love him and hope that happens but the Double-eff-aye are second only to the Jets in cocking these things up.

GazFish35
14-10-2013, 12:48 PM
a mandate to qualify for Russia '18 then that's the way to go.

this.

Pico
14-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Who I expect them to sign: Di Matteo till the end of the Asian Cup

Who I want them to sign: Ange until the end of Russia 2018.

IMO we need to invest in a national system, and actually employ said system. We need someone willing to promote youth, and transform an entire style of play. And we need to invest 4+ years on whoever we bring in, to give them a proper chance of implementing said system. Ange is the man for this.

The way we were heading we were never going to get good results in Brazil anyway, so short term results should not matter one bit.

Systems you say, given years to achieve results & you want youth..... I got just the bloke for you..

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/10/20/1226171/560113-gary-van-egmond.jpg

De-Champ
14-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Ange made a great case on Offsiders yesterday that it should be the best bloke, not the fact he's Aussie.
He also said that he's not interested in the short term gig and that if he was given a mandate to qualify for Russia '18 then that's the way to go.
I love him and hope that happens but the Double-eff-aye are second only to the Jets in cocking these things up.

Yes I saw that too, he did not look too convincing when he made that point. To me it looked as, it was something you say, when you don't really believe in what you are saying.

plague
14-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes I saw that too, he did not look too convincing when he made that point. To me it looked as, it was something you say, when you don't really believe in what you are saying.

I'll politely disagree if only for the fact that he won't be taking on a job again unless it's on his terms. He's been burned before (Nat Youth level) and is in too much of a position of power locally to go through that again.
Expect a revolution from day 1 if he gets the gig though.

hawk
14-10-2013, 03:25 PM
jog of the memory
http://www.sackarnold.com/

MFKS
14-10-2013, 04:14 PM
I love fishing when you are around :yay:

You were trolling were you??

I just thought you were a dumb **** making remarks like that when I had already posted earlier in this thread bemoaning the lack of prior youth development.

Next time you want to troll someone actually have an idea what you are doing. Subtle works well blatant not so well and actually having a ****ing idea what you are talking about helps.

Your efforts of trolling just make me thing you are even dumber than I already believed you were :tongue:

plague
14-10-2013, 04:28 PM
jog of the memory
http://www.sackarnold.com/

Oh don't worry there Mr Hawk, Gypo Arnie has been all over the press telling everyone that it was the fact he was only ever an 'interim' coach that he had 'no power over the players' in his tenure, hence his failure.
Said that if he gets the gig this time shit will be different.

Which is weird cause I swear Hiddink was only 'interim' as well and did ok.

Jetmaster
15-10-2013, 04:38 PM
It has to be an experienced name to come in and clean up the mess before the WC, and also regain some cred. This should only be until after the WC is over.

Then a new coach should come in and be given till Russia, the guy who can instill his own culture, build a dynasty and become Australia's greatest coach is Ange. He takes a season to get rid of the dead wood then improvement from season 2 - see how MV go this season. Brisbane was a team transformed in season 2.

Plus I will always rate Ange's halftime rant in Perth - that was needed in Paris !

Poppa isn't ready after one season and although Arnie is the only one sounding like he covets the job, he has had one chance and stuffed it....might as well give Farina another chance.

russjaybee
15-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Surely the only Aussie that's close to it is Ange?

I'm with Jetmaster, best possible outcome would be Gus coming in short term to try and make SOME kind of difference before the world cup, after that appoint Ange long term giving him power to influence Australian football from the top.

Zico
15-10-2013, 05:45 PM
You were trolling were you??

I just thought you were a dumb **** making remarks like that when I had already posted earlier in this thread bemoaning the lack of prior youth development.

Next time you want to troll someone actually have an idea what you are doing. Subtle works well blatant not so well and actually having a ****ing idea what you are talking about helps.

Your efforts of trolling just make me thing you are even dumber than I already believed you were :tongue:
Keep taking the bait MFKS. Your making this site even more enjoyable.

pv4
15-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Systems you say, given years to achieve results & you want youth..... I got just the bloke for you..

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/10/20/1226171/560113-gary-van-egmond.jpg

:rof: I should have said a system that works

joel31
15-10-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8972980/sir-alex-ferguson-urged-to-come-out-of-retirement-and-manage-australia
Not gonna happen but funny idea

Premy
15-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Bosnich wants FFA to get Sir Alex

lquiquer
15-10-2013, 07:47 PM
It won't be Bruno Metsu because he sadly passed away today. He could have been a great option for Socceroos.....#RIPBruno #GreatCoach #KingOfSenegal

plague
15-10-2013, 08:54 PM
It has to be an experienced name to come in and clean up the mess before the WC, and also regain some cred. This should only be until after the WC is over.

Then a new coach should come in and be given till Russia, the guy who can instill his own culture, build a dynasty and become Australia's greatest coach is Ange.

Ange made a great point on this, he said if the new bloke is good enough for after the World Cup, why isnt he good enough to take the current team to Brazil?
Hard times are going to come one way or another. By choosing the short term option the Double-Eff-Aye are already saying that hes good but not quite good enough.
Ange didnt sound interested in this approach and i tend to agree with him.

MFKS
15-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Keep taking the bait MFKS. Your making this site even more enjoyable.

My perception on your levels of intelligence just keeps going down everytime you post :roflz:

joel31
15-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Speaking of Ange

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWGNPFI-MtE

joel31
15-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Just saw this

FOX SPORTS News @FOXSportsNews
FFA chairman Frank Lowy confirms that the new @Socceroos coach WILL be an Australian, if their club agrees #football #ALeague

plague
15-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Yes, Uncle Frank just confirmed it was down to Ange, Poppa and the Gypo.

Decision was already ruled unconstitutional due to no slobs option.

furns
16-10-2013, 12:43 AM
It will be Ange if he wants it.
Otherwise its Arnie.
Poppa has been a head coach for one season ffs its too early

GazFish35
16-10-2013, 07:36 AM
pffft.

its Kosmina, nailed on cert.

plague
16-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Although not a fan of his body language, general demeanor or coaching style, I will give props to Vidmar today for making some adjustments at halftime.
Team played way better after the break.

Still a pissant though.

Jeterpool
16-10-2013, 11:24 AM
If it is Ange, Arnie or Poppa, then I think they need to continue coaching in the A-League as well if it is possible.

I know it isn't regularly done, but we want them to continue coaching day-to-day implementing their system across their respective team and the league as well. Help's keep their coaching techniques developing and maturing instead of getting 2 week exposure every couple of months.

joel31
16-10-2013, 11:31 AM
If it is Ange, Arnie or Poppa, then I think they need to continue coaching in the A-League as well if it is possible.

I know it isn't regularly done, but we want them to continue coaching day-to-day implementing their system across their respective team and the league as well. Help's keep their coaching techniques developing and maturing instead of getting 2 week exposure every couple of months.
no. they need as much time as they can to watch foreign talent as well as A-League players to see who's good enough and fits their system

Maito Mitch
16-10-2013, 11:47 AM
I think the national team is in too much of a mess to have a part time coach.

This is why I think we aren't ready for an Aussie coach just yet as they ideally need to focus solely on the national team, something Ange, Popovic or Arnold can't do at the moment

Get Hiddink back for the world cup, then decide whether we want to give one of those 3 a chance or keep Hiddink on. Or really, decide between Hiddink and Ange

Clearly that isn't going to happen though. Is going for an Aussie coach coming back to a money issue?

pv4
16-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Is going for an Aussie coach coming back to a money issue?

It shouldn't be. Nations get paid a massive amount of 'prize money' for qualifying for the WC. As in, around $20mil AUD for qualifying for the WC. And this amount goes up the higher position you make at the finals themselves.

You understand you need to break that sum into various costs and stuff (there's so many things you could break that money up into), but one of said costs is definately for the coach.

We're one of 32 countries in the entire world who has just gotten paid millions of dollars for winning a few games. Cost-cutting for a coach should simply not be an idea.

Although, after saying all that, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it has crossed FFAs minds.

Pico
16-10-2013, 12:44 PM
It shouldn't be. Nations get paid a massive amount of 'prize money' for qualifying for the WC. As in, around $20mil AUD for qualifying for the WC. And this amount goes up the higher position you make at the finals themselves.

You understand you need to break that sum into various costs and stuff (there's so many things you could break that money up into), but one of said costs is definately for the coach.

We're one of 32 countries in the entire world who has just gotten paid millions of dollars for winning a few games. Cost-cutting for a coach should simply not be an idea.

Although, after saying all that, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it has crossed FFAs minds.

We are also one nation who just qualified for the WC then sacked a coach with a reported iron clad contract, on $1.5m a year, if the press are to be believed. Once Holger gets his compo from the FFA, hiring a cut price manager might look mighty appealing.

I still think with the rumours that they want them to be more hands on over the entire national teams and to work hand in hand with the national TD, Bielsa would be a good option, sure it will cost more, but he'll bring new ideas, has worked with young national teams and his teams have had a good attacking style that the FFA & Fans are likely to want. Too soon for any of the HAL managers I think, ideally I'd like to see some of them step up to coaching OS at decent leagues first, starting with the tactical systematic genius that is GVE.

Grimario
16-10-2013, 12:46 PM

I made it into someone's signature!!!!!!!

Jetmaster
16-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Well, they've gone for the cheap option in an Australian coach, to go even cheaper it will be Arnold.

Not because he is the better coach, but he has a get out clause in his Mariners contract and there will be far less compensation payable than trying to extricate Ange from MV.

So it will yet again come down to money - we never learn.

joel31
16-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Well, they've gone for the cheap option in an Australian coach, to go even cheaper it will be Arnold.

Not because he is the better coach, but he has a get out clause in his Mariners contract and there will be far less compensation payable than trying to extricate Ange from MV.

So it will yet again come down to money - we never learn.
they are FFA they make the rules. If they want they won't o pay compensation

The Dunster
16-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Though it pains me to say so Arnold is far and away a better coach than Ange. Arnold can fit pretty much anyone into his teams and be successful. Ange can only find success if he has the "right cattle".

Grimario
16-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Nah. Ange isn't a one trick pony as shown by his 3rd place finish with zero lead in work for MV last season. They didn't play football remotely close to what he had at BR.

MFKS
16-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Absolute bollocks this idea of picking an Aussie. As PV4 said success in the World Cup equals $$

An unexpected run for the Socceroos in Brazil will assist the Bandwagon that is football in this country. It will also see increased sponsorship. It will also stoke the interest of the game in the media/fans/casual observer etc

Not to mention getting to the 2nd Rd will see us pocket a couple more million from FIFA in Prize money.

FFA Should be signing the best bloke they can GET to actually aim us up to do the best we can in Brazil. Unfortunately the best blokes are foreign.Picking some Skip on the jingoistic/patriotism angle and not giving two hoots what happens is about as wise an idea as it was for HSG to sign GVE as Jets Coach.

It is imperative that even if we don't win a game over there that we are highly competitive and do not embarrass ourselves

MFKS
16-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Nah. Ange isn't a one trick pony as shown by his 3rd place finish with zero lead in work for MV last season. They didn't play football remotely close to what he had at BR.

Precisely right the way Victree play under Ange is massively different to the way Roar played under Ange

plague
16-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Precisely right the way Victree play under Ange is massively different to the way Roar played under Ange

So doesn't that mean he's good at coaching?

plague
16-10-2013, 03:38 PM
and who are these great foreign coaches we can get Member?
The names I've seen tossed up have downsides too.

Grimario
16-10-2013, 03:41 PM
So doesn't that mean he's good at coaching?

Think he was agreeing with me in reference to The Dunster saying Ange was crap and GA was better.

plague
16-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Think he was agreeing with me in reference to The Dunster saying Ange was crap and GA was better.

Yeah sorry. It's just rare that the Member agrees with anything or anyone (including himself).

Grimario
16-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah sorry. It's just rare that the Member agrees with anything or anyone (including himself).

Only agrees with sensible folk.

Grimario
16-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Or complete nutjobs.

Oh feck :(

Rocknerd
16-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Though it pains me to say so Arnold is far and away a better coach than Ange. Arnold can fit pretty much anyone into his teams and be successful. Ange can only find success if he has the "right cattle".

Completely agree. It's not like Arnold took over from Uncle Guus and completely ****ed Australia. No one ever called for his head to be served on a platter.

Seriously though.

Arnold had a go and was a chump. good club coach bad national team coach. Ange, can work with the best and the worst and get good results. Let's give it a go, but only if we HAVE to have an Aussie. would rather top dollar international than to throw Ange at them until after the cup.

MFKS
16-10-2013, 04:29 PM

I generally don't post when I agree with something. Just felt Grimario needed a bit of praise for a good post with some additional support

My2BobsWorth
16-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Completely agree. It's not like Arnold took over from Uncle Guus and completely ****ed Australia. No one ever called for his head to be served on a platter.

Seriously though.

Arnold had a go and was a chump. good club coach bad national team coach. Ange, can work with the best and the worst and get good results. Let's give it a go, but only if we HAVE to have an Aussie. would rather top dollar international than to throw Ange at them until after the cup.

Frank is saying that the Aussie posting is a long term contract. Problem being, compensation for the unlucky club

joel31
16-10-2013, 05:17 PM
I still reckon Bielsa is the best candidate if we can get him

De-Champ
16-10-2013, 10:09 PM
May be John Kosmina

Grimario
17-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Ange press conference just now, confirmed that MV have been approached by the FFA and said he would be honoured to coach the Socceroos should it eventuate.

russjaybee
17-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Epic. Ange long term is best possible outcome right now imo.

plague
17-10-2013, 05:36 PM
I still reckon Bielsa is the best candidate if we can get him
football wise hes a great option, but the Double-Eff-Aye (rightly or wrongly) want the new coach to be much more media friendly and be better at "selling" the team and games.
my understanding is that Bielsa doesnt speak a lick of english so this is viewed as a negative on his part. as i said, whether it should be a factor is up for debate, but with the game needing sponsors and exposure in the wake of a few ordinary months a high profile person like Ange would definitely embrace that side of things.

yet another reason why old monotone grumpy ass gypo Arnold should never be considered for the job.

Tommyjet
17-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Epic. Ange long term is best possible outcome right now imo.

This

Blackmac79
17-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Has just been announced by a few on twitter that MVFC has obviously accepted the FFA offer, as ange has now officially been offered a contract

Grimario
17-10-2013, 10:45 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/socceroos-have-lost-their-way-20131017-2vpt8.html

Socceroos have lost their way
Ange Postecoglou

We used to stand for courage in the face of adversity. It's time to rediscover our spirit.

The passionate and emotive discussion around the Socceroos in the past week has been fantastic to hear.
The fallout from two heavy defeats and national coach Holger Osieck losing his job has ignited some desperately needed and long overdue passion inside and outside the camp. It also resulted in various post-mortems on Osieck's tenure and discussion about the future - including my own possible involvement - being front and centre in the sporting consciousness.
For too long our game has been a sideshow to all the other sporting endeavours that our lucky country has within its sphere.
It is heartening that the A-League kicked off in the best possible way, with big crowds and television audiences and plenty of analysis about who will rise and fall this season. But most of all this week has shown that Australians now care and are passionate about the game and its future.
Advertisement
This brings a responsibility and accountability of the likes we have not seen before. No more can we use convenient truths and excuses to explain away any lack of progress. Now the issues and challenges that lie ahead will be tackled knowing that scrutiny and praise will be dealt in equal measure.
The Socceroos' situation this week has been a great test of how much the game means to Australia.
There have been numerous opinions expressed and as with any great pantomime, there comes the need to weed out the real villain in the piece. Was it the coach, the players, the media, the administrators - or maybe the man on the grassy knoll? The coach has lost his job and the captain came in for criticism.
But for me the reason we are in this position is that we have lost sight of what our national team represents and what its role in our game is. I have always believed that
language is a very powerful tool and for a long time the language that we hear about the Socceroos has methodically stripped away any form of honour and prestige that a national team should represent.
First and foremost the team belongs to the country itself and its fans. It does not belong to any coach, player or administrator. Any representation within the team and management should be seen as privilege not a right.
For a long time the Socceroos have stood for courage and competitive nature in the face of adversity. Whether it was the part-timers who qualified for the World Cup back in 1974 or the golden generation that almost shocked the world in 2006, we have never been afraid of a challenge or being written off as no-hopers.
But sadly this is no longer the case. There needs to be a cultural shift so we understand once again the essence of our national shirt.
What has happened over the past six or seven years is that self-interest, self-preservation and survival mechanisms have ensured that we no longer see ourselves as true Australian sportsmen.
I have found it frustrating and infuriating to continually hear that we are not that good. That our expectations are too high. That we can't compete with the big countries.
The question I ask is why? Is it because we know we will fail and want some protection from the fallout of failure? Or do we hope we can cause an upset so we get greater credit? But the sporting public don't want to hear that we must accept our fate. The national team is there to sell hope, not to dampen dreams.
I have continually heard our team is not that good, our younger players are not that good, our league is not that good and our football philosophy is not that good. That we have no hope of being competitive in the World Cup.
Well, if that is the case, why do we even bother?
Sport is about upsetting the odds, it is about confounding the experts and above all in this country it is about producing the miraculous.
We have won the America's Cup, gold medals and World Cups in other codes by not accepting our fate, but by believing in what we can achieve.
It is time now that our Socceroos were restored to the foundations they were built on.

russjaybee
17-10-2013, 11:19 PM
I already liked Ange and after reading that I like him even more.

I rate him highly, always come across as a smart and under-stated person.
I say f*ck it, bring him on!

Only shame is that the a-league loses a fantastic coach.

joel31
22-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Foxsports news says Ange will probably be announced tomorrow

Grimario
22-10-2013, 06:57 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/melbourne-victory-agree-to-release-ange-postecoglou-so-coach-can-take-up-socceroos-post/story-e6frf4l3-1226744751333

And it's done.

lquiquer
22-10-2013, 07:04 PM
GVE to Victory next?

lquiquer
22-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Then Farina here and Muscat at SFC!!!!

22-10-2013, 07:10 PM
GVE to Victory next?

There too smart to go backwards, why would they want to undo years of hard work just to see it go to shit by employing someone who thinks they are better at coaching than selling soft drinks.

joel31
22-10-2013, 07:15 PM
GVE to Victory next?
I heard they are looking for a foreign coach?

Zico
22-10-2013, 09:00 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/melbourne-victory-agree-to-release-ange-postecoglou-so-coach-can-take-up-socceroos-post/story-e6frf4l3-1226744751333

And it's done.

**** it, did I miss out :sparring:

hawk
22-10-2013, 10:11 PM
is the ink dry yet ? ange out

Jetmaster
23-10-2013, 07:51 AM
I heard they are looking for a foreign coach?

Ernie Merrick.

Jeterpool
23-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Ernie Merrick.

:lulz:

Imyourhero
23-10-2013, 08:47 AM
What personell changes do we expect for the socceroos with Ange?