PDA

View Full Version : Free FC dilemma

hausmann
24-09-2013, 09:39 AM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/centralcoastmariners/news-display/Introducing-Free-FC/75337

I had an idea a couple of years ago to organise free football games for kids who may otherwise not get to play the game because the club system may not be suitable to their situation - big families, not enough money to pay for memberships, disabilities etc. The idea was to engage the school community and use school playing fields or other community facilities so as not to conflict with club activities.

I was trying to think of a way to set it up and called NNSWFF about it but they discouraged the idea. I think I even emailed the FFA and got no response. Now it seems that the Mariners have picked up a very similar idea (see above article about Free FC) and the FFA love it.

Funny thing was, I was just thinking about looking into this again when I saw the Free FC article.

My dilemma is that the Mariners have shown interest in helping kids get free access to football whereas the NNSWFF hasn't. The Jets already have their school based programme which is more about player appearances and building memberships and every time I have contacted the Jets in the past I have had no response, and I was shut down at the Supporters forum, so I've got really little desire to talk to them.

Should I contact the Mariners to discuss getting my idea off the ground? I live in East Lake Macquarie so it would be within their catchment. I don't know how I would feel if some of the kids became Central Coast supporters but I am attracted by their genuine desire to give kids at the margins a chance to play sport.

Jeterpool
24-09-2013, 10:00 AM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/centralcoastmariners/news-display/Introducing-Free-FC/75337

I had an idea a couple of years ago to organise free football games for kids who may otherwise not get to play the game because the club system may not be suitable to their situation - big families, not enough money to pay for memberships, disabilities etc. The idea was to engage the school community and use school playing fields or other community facilities so as not to conflict with club activities.

I was trying to think of a way to set it up and called NNSWFF about it but they discouraged the idea. I think I even emailed the FFA and got no response. Now it seems that the Mariners have picked up a very similar idea (see above article about Free FC) and the FFA love it.

Funny thing was, I was just thinking about looking into this again when I saw the Free FC article.

My dilemma is that the Mariners have shown interest in helping kids get free access to football whereas the NNSWFF hasn't. The Jets already have their school based programme which is more about player appearances and building memberships and every time I have contacted the Jets in the past I have had no response, and I was shut down at the Supporters forum, so I've got really little desire to talk to them.

Should I contact the Mariners to discuss getting my idea off the ground? I live in East Lake Macquarie so it would be within their catchment. I don't know how I would feel if some of the kids became Central Coast supporters but I am attracted by their genuine desire to give kids at the margins a chance to play sport.

Kids are only kids once and anything you can do to help give them happy memories of their childhood are good. If you've tried the Jets and NNSWF and the mariners are the only one's who are willing to take it up, and if you're as passionate about it as you seem, perhaps you have your answer.

Skirt Boy
24-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Whilst I never ended up playing it was 5 euro for registration for the university team in Germany.

hausmann
24-09-2013, 10:44 AM
My wife was telling me about a girl who plays for the soccer team in my kids' school. Apparently she is a natural striker but doesn't play club soccer and so would have been overlooked at other primary schools for their school teams, where only kids who play on the weekends are allowed to trial for the school team.

I'm happy for one of my sons to play club soccer, he really wants to play the whole season and he has also shown interest in playing the free games that I've thought about putting on. My other son likes to play the game but doesn't have the interest in training, or playing every week for a season. Half way through the season he just stopped enjoying it. So I figured that putting on a game once a month, where it was just about kids having fun together and learning the skills of playing the game would be a good opportunity for kids like this who fall through the cracks of club sport.

The idea I had was to get a group of 3 or 4 primary schools that were close together to form a precinct and each take turns in hosting a sort of free sport "gala day" once a month. Maybe on Sundays during the winter and on school-day afternoons in Spring/Autumn/Summer to avoid clashes with other weekend activities. Need to talk with School principals about the logistics of this.

If anyone has any further ideas about what they think may or may not work, please let me know.

Jetmaster
24-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Take it to the Mariners, but make it clear to all parties that you went to NNSWFF (and FFA) first with the idea - they had their chance

If the Mariners make it a success then everyone will fall over themselves to do similar, including the NNSWFF.

I suppose the elephant in the room is public liability and insurance.

furns
24-09-2013, 12:18 PM
How long ago did you approach NNSWFF? Was David Eland in charge, was it prior or around that time that the board was trying to oust him?
I would think that he would be keen for something like this do get up if you approach him directly.

GazFish35
24-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Do whatever helps the sport grow.
Forget a-league alliances and get more kids playing the games.

Helping WSW get into schools is one of my proudest achievements.

hausmann
24-09-2013, 12:47 PM
It was about 2 years ago. I don't know what David Eland was doing. I think he was there and I don't think it was the time he was being ousted. I didn't speak to him, I spoke to someone else lower down the chain but the guy was responsible for community football.

I sent them another email yesterday to see if they have any interest in the idea given the Free FC initiative. Last time, they simply weren't interested in doing anything outside the club system or cottees 5 aside gala days. I was happy to have clubs involved but ground use during winter was an issue.

hausmann
24-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Helping WSW get into schools is one of my proudest achievements.

That's great to hear!

furns
24-09-2013, 01:15 PM
In my experience, if you dont get a satisfactory answer from the bloke directly responsible for the area you are enquiring about, then go above him. It cant hurt your chances.

Jeterpool
24-09-2013, 01:20 PM
In my experience, if you dont get a satisfactory answer from the bloke directly responsible for the area you are enquiring about, then go above him. It cant hurt your chances.

That can often help because thay person may have a broader, longer-term picture of the direction that the person below has.

q-money
24-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Free SD

Premy
24-09-2013, 03:55 PM
It was about 2 years ago. I don't know what David Eland was doing. I think he was there and I don't think it was the time he was being ousted. I didn't speak to him, I spoke to someone else lower down the chain but the guy was responsible for community football.

I sent them another email yesterday to see if they have any interest in the idea given the Free FC initiative. Last time, they simply weren't interested in doing anything outside the club system or cottees 5 aside gala days. I was happy to have clubs involved but ground use during winter was an issue.

The empty field behind Valintine pool just down from the Skate park might be a area you could use as I'm pretty sure no one uses the space. Just a thought you would have to look into more, it's pretty central to the East Lake Macqurie area too.

hausmann
24-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that. I was thinking though that school ovals would be best because they are at least maintained a bit and the schools could participate in the organising of it.

At the end of the day, I think what I'm looking at is pretty much the cottee's 5 a side format but played more regularly between local kids and as an extra curricula activity rather than during school hours.

Any teachers out there got any thoughts on this? Would teachers/principals want to be involved in an extra-curricula activity?

GazFish35
24-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Look into the premiers sporting challange.... Or a program/funding bucket called "active after school"

I remember you talking about this years ago.

Keep fighting the good fight

hausmann
24-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Phoned NNSWFF. The guy was a bit dismissive to start with (I guess I sound like another nutjob ringing up) until I mentioned that the Mariners were sponsoring free football. He wasn't aware they were doing it. Then he said he'd have a close look at it and get back to me.

hausmann
24-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Look into the premiers sporting challange.... Or a program/funding bucket called "active after school"

I remember you talking about this years ago.

Keep fighting the good fight

Cheers, I'll look into that. I assumed that there would be some buckets of money that I could access if I put together a proposal with the school principals and sports federations. I'll look into it because it would be great to go to them with a proposal that maybe gave them some money for ground maintenance and to purchase playing equipment for more underprivileged kids.

furns
24-09-2013, 04:41 PM
If there is a sponsorship opportunity for it as well let us know. The Squadron might be able to get involved as a community project.

MFKS
24-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Phoned NNSWFF. The guy was a bit dismissive to start with (I guess I sound like another nutjob ringing up) until I mentioned that the Mariners were sponsoring free football. He wasn't aware they were doing it. Then he said he'd have a close look at it and get back to me.

Ring Middleby and talk to him about our club winning games. When he is dismissive of you as another Newy nutjob claim the Mariners are winning games and hopefully he will have a close look at it and get back to you

selassie
25-09-2013, 10:04 AM
i reckon you should call the gypos even if nnswff agree to help you out. the more the merrier.

Jeterpool
25-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Ring Middleby and talk to him about our club winning games. When he is dismissive of you as another Newy nutjob claim the Mariners are winning games and hopefully he will have a close look at it and get back to you

:sigh:

Come on Member. Hausmann is trying to do something good for the community. Perhaps a constructive comment would be more useful to the discussion instead of pushing your agenda.